Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of Iheartradiote's Room So Blue.
Speaker 2: I try to give you all some ambiance. Man, it's the end of the Year special. I like it, you know, sex it up a little bit.
Speaker 3: I feel like you're doing some like DNA fingerprinting off to the side or something.
Speaker 4: Nah, I'm actually just opening logic.
Speaker 1: Or some handwriting analysis. Either way, the right lighting for it. Well, I'm really happy to see you guys. Just been a while.
Speaker 4: All right, what's working on?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 3: I had I made a Broadway show and I was in the Pitts Broadway showed him. Now, just recording right.
Speaker 4: Now, I'll start recording now.
Speaker 6: All right, pladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: You know, if you're a fan of the show, then the year in Special shouldn't be a shock to you. Where we just uh we keep it casual. Now grandiose introduction. You know, we're just talking. So it's like you guys are just eves dropping into our conversation when we kind of just open the door of what Unpaid Bill has been doing lately. You know you've been the one going out and getting cigarettes. Unpaid Bill, did I bought a whole carton? Yeah, it's been a minute, so talk about what you're doing. I saw a little preview of it when you guys came to visit the Tonight Show. Can I assume that when and Juliette, which is the name of your Broadway play? Am I assuming that it's the Romeo and juliet told through the music of Max Martin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like a retelling of Romeo and juliet So Romeo doesn't die and Julia. I'm not gonna spoil or alert it. Juliete doesn't die. Nobody dies and they come back and Romeo comes back to life, and uh yeah, and it's all the music of Max Martin.
Speaker 6: So it's like The.
Speaker 1: Weekend and Backstreet Boys and and sank.
Speaker 7: And everybody dies, they get married and they live happily ever after.
Speaker 4: That's what all.
Speaker 1: I don't want to ruin at all.
Speaker 7: You got to say, Okay, still drama.
Speaker 3: Okay, still drama, which reminds me we should have a quest of Supreme visits the Broadway because that's never happened and would be hilarious at some point. Whenever Fonte decides to leave the house.
Speaker 7: You know what, Bill, you know what it is.
Speaker 4: I left the house. I left I came for, I came for. I'm down to do always.
Speaker 1: I saw it well.
Speaker 7: Yes, New York Trip twenty twenty two was a better year because Fante came out the house. I had a whole conversation with somebody this weekend about Fonte coming out the house man the things that changed. I gotta tell you.
Speaker 1: I see so, Sugar, Steve, how was your twenty twenty two?
Speaker 8: It was just it was pretty good, you know, getting back to normal. Did a lot of records for JM.
Speaker 3: I uh.
Speaker 8: We just dropped Sasha Berliner. She's a vibrantphone player. And we got David Murray album coming out, and Laggie lund is coming out. He's a Norwegian guitar player. We got a replier solo piano Ray Angry Box Sat coming out soon. Wow, We've got a Mike Mitchell album coming out, solo drums, Mike Mitchell, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I want from Ray Angry? Can you challenge Very Angry to do one album with just his right hand, like Ravel, but with the right hand not the left. Yeah, basically I want to see if Ray can actually I want to see how creative Ray gets.
Speaker 6: When you put a.
Speaker 1: Handicap boarder.
Speaker 8: You know, yeah, we'll call it righty.
Speaker 1: What about the what's the project called three Guys Walk into a Yeah, and.
Speaker 8: We recorded an album with Quest and Ray and David Murray.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and.
Speaker 8: We're actually calling that plumb p l U m B, which means to dig deep. And it's going to be another four platter box set. Actually the box is going to be plum colored velvet.
Speaker 1: Is it just like free and groovy or is there charts?
Speaker 5: Like? What is it?
Speaker 1: What are way to find out? What my projects called?
Speaker 8: Well, one of the what we called one of the songs, uh, pleading pleadings?
Speaker 6: Is that what Pleaadians? Yeah? That was I Yeah, I suggested we call.
Speaker 1: It Three Pleaadians Walk into a Bar. But then yeah, this this makes sense. Yeah, but I wanted I wanted a Padian angle only because I feel like David Murray and Ray angry.
Speaker 4: Are you out of space? Probably?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Really the only two figures.
Speaker 8: Well, I don't know, Uh, Pleaadians is a it's a galaxy, right, yeah, you take the highest level of the galaxy.
Speaker 1: It's it's said that they're watching us, like when you get inspiration or ideas like oh I should do that, like that's.
Speaker 6: That's your antennae.
Speaker 8: They're they're suggesting it to you, so and answering Bill's question, I think it was Bill. It was mostly improvised. It's one or two songs that came in with charts, but the rest of it was was wholly improvised.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 6: The last four songs we did were kind of amazing.
Speaker 5: I like this.
Speaker 1: I kind of hope that you sequence it backwards, like the last song we did was awesome, and you know, work your way backwards. That's my suggestion.
Speaker 4: But yah, yeah, what's up?
Speaker 1: I was your twenty twenty two? You look glowey right now. This is because we know that we're I mean, there's there's no len lenkra.
Speaker 7: But I know, we know at twenty twenty two brought us to the screen, you know, so people to watch it and yours. Your shit always looks so, you know, moist and glowy.
Speaker 6: Some people, Well I just got off stage, so whenever.
Speaker 1: You know, I literally just got done the tonight show.
Speaker 7: But oh okay, oh that oh that's makeup. Okay, Well, no, twenty twenty two was good for me.
Speaker 1: Actually it's not makeup. I mean I washed my face.
Speaker 7: That's what I'm saying that you eat the good vegetables, you do the right things, you drink the.
Speaker 1: Water, well that too, But I mean, like, you know, we we have the our barber and our you know, you get cuts every day.
Speaker 6: Like there's there's the fun.
Speaker 1: Part of doing late night television where you get fresh cuts and you know, yeah yeah, yeah, get shaped up and all that stuff. So anyway, how is you? How is your year? Like, you've not talked about comedy? Are you still having a dream of comedy?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 7: Don't do that. Somebody just did that to me the other day because they were listening to like a classic QLs episode and they were like, why, how's your comedy doing. I was like, oh, I started work. I was going to talk about how happy I was about twenty twenty two. So you brought that up. But I'm sorry, that's all right, No, no, no, I do need to work on that. And that's what it is. I just have three amazing podcasts and time and they've been great this year. This year bro and also to this year was the first time I did my own voicing an animated series thanks to Bill Sherman over there. That was pretty cool. The Lookout, Yes, and this was the year that I had my first surgery and my whole damn life and got twenty eight damn objects taking out my body and now my stomach is flattering. I am healthier because of it.
Speaker 1: Gratulations, Wow, gratulations bro y'all y'all have been killing, aren't they busy? I don't think we've done a proper episode since the return of Sherman Showcase.
Speaker 7: That's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well, y'all really on the airplane?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I was watch on airplane.
Speaker 7: Yes, I was watching on an airplane.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, man like this, this is one of the gems. Well, first of all, ye know now that we have a visual, as you guys can see, I think almost every episode, of course Love Supreme always has an episode of Soul Train playing around in the background.
Speaker 7: Wow, that's cool. I wish this is the first time you showed that.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you know, I think I was playing ignorant, not knowing that we these episodes were actually going on the air. How are our numbers looking? Are we like in competition with the uh you know, the game now?
Speaker 7: We're still at our soft launch stage. First of all, so those who know, no, I mean I would I feel like cousin Jakes to say the official words of that. But yeah, we're still like, but we've been doing really good for our soft launching. Shout out to DJ Drama because he's been posting a lot from that episode. Yeah, okay, cool, cool, cool cool those Atlanta episodes.
Speaker 6: But that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you don't know Sherman Showcase show created by a former Tonight Show writers uh By Shir Sally O Dean and uh Diallo.
Speaker 7: Riddle guest the Quest Love Supreme.
Speaker 1: Absolute former guests of Quest Love Supreme, but really utilizing the versatile talents of our own fonts Tigolo and also give it a shout out to Zoe oth y'all did most of the music or all the music?
Speaker 6: Like, what's the process for this?
Speaker 2: We did pretty much most of them for this. I mean we've done most for the last like two seasons. But generally how it goes, they'll send us. Diallo will send me like a sheet of just kind of ideas or like prompts that they might have or whatever, and you know it might be you know, thirty joints and of that thirty, you know, me and Zoe sit down and we will just kind of figure out the ones that are most interesting to us, and Okay, I like this one, or Okay, we've never done this kind of song before, let's try this, or like we've never done an affrobeat song, let's try that, and you know what I'm saying. And then we just kind of just sit down and just go from there, and we just map it out and just do them. And I try to do when I do them, I do the vocal. I'll do like the demo vocal, but it's really just to give the actors an idea of what to do. But nine times out of ten they end up keeping my demo vocal on the joint.
Speaker 4: So the one that I just put up, YO, keep flowing.
Speaker 1: That was a punk dog dog that I put on Zoe's Joy Like I noticed it ninety six, but y'all went straight ninety one with that joint, like that is my favorite. That's my favorite joy Man.
Speaker 4: Thank you man, thank you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: That one was super.
Speaker 4: That one was fun. That was we started. We did that one during COVID.
Speaker 2: Well shit, not that COVID over, but we did it early in the pandemic when COVID first hit, and so normally when I'm doing the stuff. For Shermans, I have the homies come over and just do it. You know, if I need female vocals, whatever, I just.
Speaker 4: Have like, you know, the homies pull up. If I need crowd, we'll all shot or whatever. But for COVID, we you know, everyone.
Speaker 1: Was I thought all those voices, all those voices rhymen, weren't.
Speaker 4: You Yeah they were me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay, And that's why because I couldn't call nobody.
Speaker 7: But they distorted or were you just doing voices?
Speaker 4: It was it was me just doing different voices.
Speaker 2: So I was just and I would put the mic like in the middle of the room and just kind of I put Q cards down because I'm imagining, like, all right, if it's four dudes in the group, of five dudes in the group, they're probably standing around the mic. So I just did put Q cards in like a semicircle around the joint, and every Q card I just did a different voice and then like panned it and you know, did all that to make it sound like joint.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I legit thought that, you know, y'all were It was so good. I actually started listening to Trends of Culture album again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I walk through the Valley of the Skins.
Speaker 6: Wait, they're from North Carolina, right?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, that was jack food yao. But was the culture they were? I don't remember. They were fun but yeah.
Speaker 1: So well they better be from New York right right?
Speaker 4: But nah, but that was it, man. So that's normally how it goes.
Speaker 2: It just starts with the idea, will sit down and me and zoeld bang it out and I do the references and you know kind of you know, write, rearrange the songs if I need to whatever, and that's it.
Speaker 7: Shout out to you and Zoe because both of y'all two is shit, Like the LB's this year crazy, right, That's what I heard that Zoe came down crazy.
Speaker 4: Came crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he came down crazy. He's been doing really good. Shouts Zoe and and shout out to Sheer and Diello man just for letting us.
Speaker 4: Do us, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: They really they really are just guys that you know, they cut the check and get out the way, and that's like my favorite way to create.
Speaker 1: They really just yes, sir, cut the check, cut the check, get out of the way. Ah.
Speaker 7: So boss, how about your twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: It's too surreal to talk about, man, because.
Speaker 7: It started crazy.
Speaker 1: It really feels like all that happened like three years ago, four years ago. It's not even eight months ago. So and that you know the fact that something weird happens like every five days that I'm just on a Steph Curry half court shot streak right now. So I will say though that probably of everything that you could imagine that happened to me or that could happen to a person, has happened to me. But I will probably say that, you know, and I'm really guarded and careful on how I don't want to be typecast as this guy or whatever. But you know, I'll say before that my thing was like, you know, I'm the guy that's waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel. The most important thing that happened twenty twenty two is like I found myself, you know, and that whole like, yeah, man, you know, I'm trying to trying to learn to love myself better than whatever it's happening now, like if it really happened in September and where like I'm owning the shit. I feel like a new person and like I'm generally happy and not like I feel guilty about being happy, like enthusiastically happy.
Speaker 6: So and I know it's.
Speaker 1: Weird to sort of declare that in some of the worst times in recent memory, but I really can't help like, I feel optimistic and happy.
Speaker 4: So what brought that about? How did you arrive at that place?
Speaker 1: You know, I'll say like a month it was the polar opposite of it, maybe three weeks after the oscars, and then I got COVID, So there was like a five week period where the exact opposite happened. And you know, and it's not even it has nothing to do with the slap, I think just in general, like this is how it was with my prim night. Like like any big event that you just you just like have high expectations for, it happens, and then when it's over, there's going to be a drop, you know, and you know, actually shout out to uh, I hope I can share this. Ezra Elderman, who is currently right now directing the Mammoth Prince documentary, he's the he's the gentleman that did the OJ documentary, The Firepark.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the five points, Oh wow, right, he.
Speaker 1: Won an Oscar for OJ in twenty fifteen, and right now, I think when he started. When he started, it was supposed to be like maybe a six to seven hour Prince documentary. He's definitely in the double digits of the hours right now. Like the Dance Dog. He might have Obama gray hair right now. That's how stressful it is, like getting the princess world. But he was really really there for me to like put it in context, because you know, the thing is.
Speaker 4: Is like once you win in context, you mean Gosa winning context.
Speaker 1: Well, because the thing was like the drop was so low like ten days later.
Speaker 6: That you know, it's it's real depression.
Speaker 1: And I don't want to especially now, especially when we're watching the antics of he who gets on my nerves right now, I don't like, I don't want to loosely like throw around like words like depression or you know that sort of thing. But yeah, there were moments where, like you know, I was balled up in a corner and fetal position, and my loved ones had to like, all right, you okay, man, like should I send you somewhere? You know, they sent me on my first vacation ever, like you know, I had to go to Mexico and just do nothing for a couple of weeks. But I talked to Ezra, and Ezra's like, you know, you're not the only person to go through this, Like literally, he just named me a list of other people that went through similar experiences. The amount of preparation and the amount that you put your body through and this this could also maybe explain the Monique situation as well, like anyone that dares enter the arena of trying to win an oscar and you have to give ten months of your life. And this could also explain the wheal thing, like when you get to the finish line, there's a level of anxiety that I can't I can't really explain.
Speaker 2: Because for the last ten months of your life, that's been your life and that was over.
Speaker 6: So yeah, and it's over. So it's and it's like what do you do?
Speaker 1: And you're managing expectations, who's happy for you?
Speaker 6: Is not happy and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: So I will say that for three weeks it was bad, and then I got it together. Well, once I got COVID, then I had other problems to deal with, because it's no joke living with like half an air pipe. There was one probably the most dangerous part about COVID. I know this is weird to say, but I was talking to a comedian friend of mine and I started laughing, but I was I was like gut laughing hard, and then I realized that I couldn't inhale, and that shit scared the shit out of me now only because I do like deep level. You know, I've been on my meditation and breathing exercise join. So there's a there's the kind of a breathing exercise called DMT exercise where it's like heavy, it's heavy breathing, but it's what Navy seals do to learn how to hold their breath for like three minutes. Yeah, dog Like I I was hold my breath for like fifty seconds before I could slowly in hell again. So, you know, once the COVID thing sort of replaced whatever anxiety because it's not like you're fighting for your life, but you're you're you're treating it seriously. And then that was sort of like my reset thing where I just stayed in bed for two weeks and you know, then it was July and then you know, I don't know it, it got way better. So that's my long drown drawn out thing. Was it the What was.
Speaker 2: It like going from cause you mentioned about it before, going from you know, the level of famous that you are to now another level of fame where you got people texting.
Speaker 6: It still feels the same, just a lot away.
Speaker 1: A lot of people that were alive during that era are just more vocal about it.
Speaker 6: I mean, at its weirdest, it'll be like, you know, Elton John.
Speaker 1: Will cold call you or Spielberg will cold call you. So I mean I definitely nuanced a lot more friendships than I ever have.
Speaker 2: But you know, and when you get those calls from those people, what do they say? Is it congratulations? Is it you know, more work they're offering?
Speaker 1: Like I meant, some of it is work. Some people like want to know, with a lot of pitch meetings. So right now, you know, I guess the general rule is if there's a press clipping about it, then I can talk about it. So right now I can only talk about sliding the family stone gotch. I don't necessarily talk about the producing things, so like the James Brown thing and the Descendant thing and all that stuff. I mean, producing isn't rubber stamping, Like I'm still like actively pounding the payment and campaigning and all that stuff. So I'm not rubber stamping like the producing part like most executive producers like, I just slap my name on it and we're good. So as far as what I'm doing, I've agreed to direct seven other films too, are scripted fiber documentaries.
Speaker 7: Okay, and what's the time period of that, sir?
Speaker 1: Just like a decade. That's a that's a decade.
Speaker 7: It's not not for him.
Speaker 1: It is, okay. So one of the films I have a code director, so that that will alleviate some of the the work. But I'll say that right now, I'm not going to accept anything else until these seven projects are done, and i'll say like twenty twenty eight, that'll be over.
Speaker 9: So just just.
Speaker 7: Because the fans wanted to know if there is a Root album.
Speaker 1: Roots, Okay, that's another shocker. Words I never thought i'd say in this lifetime. Shout out to funk Master Flex. So so basically, I believe the way that this thing started, which I was totally unaware about, was the catch in Griselda. Shout to Griselda from Buffalo, New York were sort of riffing about, you know, they haven't been feeling the love of fump Master Flex, who you know. I guess you could say that Griselda is kind of the gen Z version of Wu Tang and they you know, they've been doing numbers and you know they're they're a thing, but they still don't feel that love or whatever. Fum Master Flex could have went the normal route, which is, you know, start dissing the acts and then be from Broccoli and all that stuff and then whatever. It could have easily went there like fuck foot Mass, fuck Griselda. Instead, Master Flex said, I'll tell you what I heard you, and you know I heard your fan base, So tell you what. I'm gonna give you ten days to give me a song that I can fuck with and have it to me next Thursday.
Speaker 6: And he challenged them.
Speaker 1: They rose to the challenge, and then someone said, yo, Flex, you need to do this more often. So what Flex does is he calls out someone says, nas, I need a new song in ten days, okay, Fusta.
Speaker 6: So for all the older rappers that are like, oh, you don't.
Speaker 1: Support us, you don't support us, So I'm sitting on the sideline because you know, he's never played us like Tariq wasn't even acknowledged until that freestyle five years ago. So matter of fact, it was five days into it. People were like, y'are gonna have that Flex song ready? I'm just like, what Flex song? He's like, you know, he called y'all out five days ago and I was like, wait, what the thing is you? What you don't want to do is not meet his challenge, sou And five days we came up with a song that's actually fucking incredible, So you know we did. We did a song called miss Understood with Erica Badu and t R Whack. Did it. Did it in five days, co produced by our guy Joe Ron Bombay, And I guess Flex is forcing us now to have this album out by March.
Speaker 6: So what a song?
Speaker 7: What a song? Ato?
Speaker 6: I gave a cop?
Speaker 1: Well, not like you live in Philadelphia anymore.
Speaker 6: Friend keV has the has.
Speaker 7: That's all that matters, as long as he rocked.
Speaker 6: So it's it's a soft lunch.
Speaker 1: So we're we actually Steve and I worked on song number two today, so we're just we're just taking it one song a week and by March you will have end game.
Speaker 7: Don't give, don't give us monchs don't give us much.
Speaker 1: There's I literally don't have a choice, like from as Flex called this out, like we have to deliver it now mm hmm you and it's dope, ladies and gentlemen. I will say that Tariq told us in the Roots chat that Little Rail's Commedy.
Speaker 6: Special on HBO. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've watched I said it, y'all, thinking it at least three times, and it's it's one of the most hilarious, especially for my age range. Like the the the level of hilarity that this thing is. It's you got you must absolutely watch it so good that at the very last minute, like we normal we normally don't book gets with ours notice, so real man, dog, just just watch it, y'all.
Speaker 6: It's for real.
Speaker 1: This is this is this is the the the funniest one ever. I love that. I love the special. How's it going?
Speaker 5: I'm good? How y'all doing? Man?
Speaker 1: Man? Where are you right now?
Speaker 5: I'm in l A.
Speaker 10: I just got back here a couple of days ago, been like just wrapping up the movie and just been moving around.
Speaker 6: What do you what are you?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 6: What are you shooting?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 5: So I finished, I did three things back to back. I never do that again. Uh see Multitasking Vacation Friends too. I'm doing a movie called Dashing through the Snow Black Santa Claus, like for real Santa Claus.
Speaker 7: Tim Allen Santa Claus, damn.
Speaker 5: Like magical Santa Claus. I can't wait they start typing it. That's weird. Nice but no, it's been great though. I'm just ye.
Speaker 10: And the third one, the third one is Harold and the Purple Cranyon, based off a children's book.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know this, Yeah we did that.
Speaker 6: Nice, nice, nice, nice.
Speaker 1: All Right, So this isn't a typical episode where we like grill the guests about their career whatever, so we'll we'll do an actual proper episode. This is more or less about how our twenty twenty two was.
Speaker 5: You know, we at the same time.
Speaker 7: I love that you, but I feel like you had a good twenty twenty two. Nobody knows you your personal business, but you know, at least work wise, still like things.
Speaker 6: Wait, do we have a bad twenty twenty two?
Speaker 5: Not?
Speaker 10: My twenty twenty two has been career wise great. M Like watching everything in the world has been, like I was gonna.
Speaker 1: Say, as a Chicago native, how does Chicago feel right now?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 1: The whole town?
Speaker 5: Well, this is this is interesting.
Speaker 7: M hm, talk about it.
Speaker 10: I like the excited about me number one, like they like real, thank you, Yay. It's been It's been tough watching this spire of a thing because you know what it is. It's so weird watching somebody still he hates therapy so bad he won't get it for real. And I'm like, damn, he really is a person still hurting from his mom's death.
Speaker 5: And that's tough watching.
Speaker 10: You know, when I think about my special and I do a joke about my therapist asking me, do I think the wrong parent died?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 10: I've been dealing with my honesty of what that feels like.
Speaker 5: It's actually tough watching somebody who.
Speaker 7: Hasn't oh oh.
Speaker 10: And man, it's deep because his is a little deeper than you know, somebody just passing away from cancer. Yeah, it's like, you know, we come out to the Hollywood and all this other stuff.
Speaker 5: The one thing I'm always careful about who else I expose this to.
Speaker 10: It's my dream, but I have to be careful who I exposed this to.
Speaker 4: They may not be equipped to handle it.
Speaker 6: And that could be your kids. Your spouse here.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, right, and so you have to be very careful about where you at with it col you have in your environment and because it's just.
Speaker 10: So much, you know, I'm honest about that too, because well, yeah, it kind.
Speaker 5: Of hurts a little bit. That's somebody who we are from Chicago.
Speaker 10: It was this weird tell where all of us was coming up with whatever it feels he was doing right, and then he was like the first one to like become a light in that generation, a superstar, like superstar like comic came out. We talking about like a superstar. Yeah, and it was like, okay, cool, and you're doing it being yourself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you still you know game bangers with your nerve, you know, like it's just a different and so all.
Speaker 10: Of us is like yes.
Speaker 5: And so for my I had some cards.
Speaker 10: Printed that the Kanye comedy That's what I called myself.
Speaker 5: So it's breaking my heart because I'm watching something spiral in a way.
Speaker 12: Well, I'm like, also, I don't listen to crazy ass people and that crazy uncle's crazy cuz they're saying all types of shit at Thanksgiving at Christmas and I don't take a heart to that.
Speaker 5: I'd be like cool anyway.
Speaker 10: Like for me, I haven't like taken it in in this way where it's like bothered me, where it affects me personally. But it's like, damn dude, like when he you know this was and I ain't never talked about this, so y'all getting this me talking about it? Said that like when he brought up George Floyd and I saw the same man cry about being a black dad. And they're trying to take away my black children and the black dad and the black children and the black black black black And you don't think about that little girl who lost her father the way she did.
Speaker 5: It's disgusting to me you say all that, and you.
Speaker 12: Don't you like recreating what you said happened just to make a point.
Speaker 4: That's weird.
Speaker 7: But how about this one though, too, to add to your to your complexities, because this is the last complexity for me because I have a lot of relatives that are managing bipolar right m So I have to ask my relatives, excuse me, cousin, is it am I still supposed to be letting that be a reason? Like in my head like this, it just seems like it's it's so untrend and it's so tailored, and those relatives saying to me, yes, you still should be considering that this is mental illness, which is like, oh like and this is something that you know, we really say. First of all, black people don't even talk about mental illness, as you said. You literally just said crazy crazy, crazy, And that's been the problem with us for the law guess.
Speaker 5: But but here we go.
Speaker 10: You're right, I go to therapy every Tuesday. I've dealt with my stuff because I know I'm not perfect. Yeah, like, even when you think about them, right, we still think about like how money changes everything.
Speaker 7: That too, access power, O God, and.
Speaker 10: Kanye's a male. Yeah, they took Britney spears. They like putting the like how to have this man ain't in the conservation ship.
Speaker 7: To me, it's not considered mental illness. That's why, because I think people are still kind of like, na, he's just he does an asshole. He just mean, he just does know.
Speaker 2: And everybody when they when they made the voice announcement, well you know about everybody was jumping up down over two hundred thousand or whatever. I was like, bro, the fact that he got joint custody of the kids, Like that's right when like, yeah, I mean, bruh, how did.
Speaker 7: You get that?
Speaker 1: I was going to say, yeah, my favorite part of your special was the way that you were open and transparent and talking about going to therapy, which you know, of course, especially for people of color, Like we've been really really guarded about that, you know. I mean I've been doing it for seriously for like nine to ten years, at least on a consistent, everyday basis. I mean I've been doing it for almost twenty years, but at least on this consistent basis, weekly basis. For you, what was the moment that made you feel comfortable and really sharing.
Speaker 10: That, you know, like I talked about it especially, and it's so crazy in comedy, you know, you make things funny, which is true.
Speaker 5: The funny thing is I do I could be funny when I'm serious, right right, People like that.
Speaker 10: That's but I'm like nah, I said, in this house, I had a panic attack, and that's why I was filming something.
Speaker 5: And I didn't know what. I'd never had one before.
Speaker 4: What happened physically, what, I don't even know it.
Speaker 10: First, I think my assistant, I wish you was here, she'd tell you. It was building up it'd be I was having a little emotional.
Speaker 5: Thing, but I kept being able to survive. Right, wake up, It'll be cool.
Speaker 10: No, I'm just crying as.
Speaker 5: Well as No.
Speaker 10: I was bothered and I didn't know why I was. And I was sitting on these stairs crying hysterically, laid forward. We told them we were sick. I was sick, and I'm like, I'm not sick. I am sick actually because I can't work today, I was like, what's wrong with me? What's Everything is great, everything's going well, Like why am I still having this pain?
Speaker 5: What is this?
Speaker 10: And when I said with my therapist, like she's smart too, because she let me and I'm open, I've been I'll be in that my therapy session start just with me saying you know, it was cool and it's gone, like I'll just be going like damn, that's what happened. Because and so like we did that, and she kept seeing me you have this strain of or be very hesitant about mentioning my mom. It was like little stuff I'll do like.
Speaker 5: Like she's like.
Speaker 10: And then when she asked me, do I think the wrong parent died? M was such a powerful thing, and I was like, what you excuse me. My parents are a happy black couple. It was together the whole time. I have both my parents. That was beautiful. Do you think the wrong parent died? And then we got into this deep conversation about another thing about my dad has been dope the whole time. But then I started realizing what he went through, actually through this session about how we were all raised as black men and our families to not show certain emotions.
Speaker 5: I realized, like at the even.
Speaker 10: Talking to cousins about how my dad was kind of picked on for being artsy m come on these other doing cocaine and kicking it. This nigga was drawn and playing fucking the horn.
Speaker 1: I'm the artist of the family. Yeah, my cousins weren't that. You know. I was a bitch ass nigga, Like.
Speaker 10: He was trying to teach me to be a little tougher than he was, you know, other arts. Motherfucker too. He started playing the drums at church when I was six. I was watching the drum and like naturally just learned, like I just started playing with that after the church and like mom was like, you can play the drums, and I started playing for the childrens.
Speaker 5: Squad and like what I understood for my dad was.
Speaker 10: Like damn, damn ah, and he.
Speaker 5: Like when I tell you my dad art wise, we to my music.
Speaker 10: One thing the brother would he made these models of like war renditions, and sure like he he was so talented. We made Christmas on him as every year I poor ass family had broker asked Christians think cause we made our own order. So for like twenty years in all the trade was all the ship we made it. It reineddew with one arm and all types of shit in therapy in a weird way, when I remember being angry at him for a second because he was he used to talk killing shit every time I did something different.
Speaker 5: But then it was two things that happened.
Speaker 10: Somebody in his job one day was like, man, your dad talk about you all the time, Like no, he don't, no, no, he does.
Speaker 5: Actually he passed up your flyers for the comedy shows.
Speaker 4: He's proud.
Speaker 5: He never he never told me talk a me like that.
Speaker 10: And my mama would tell me, like, your dad, he's so proud of you, but he never said it.
Speaker 5: That's because he never heard it.
Speaker 10: And I'm like, damn, man, I bad and his father is he still alive or is it he is? But he's like he's going through like slight dimension and that's tough. And so this is the crazy part. I got my dad in this amazing facility taking care of him because when he was going through it and me and my brother ain't know what to do with this. At first, he was just like showing up at the old house and the police happened to be nice. Actually because he showed up at the crib. It's a whole other family.
Speaker 5: Than they rebuilt in. And you know they didn't gentrif neighbor. We grew up here. Oh wow, he's like Nancy showing up.
Speaker 10: And then even for like recently, like a year ago, we was all at the event for the family and he was like waiting for my mother to come get him, and I'm like, no, man, she ain't. And that's that shit.
Speaker 5: Is tough, yo.
Speaker 7: That tribe is big. Well, you know that this tribe is large of people around our age dealing with parents like this, like we need to make sure we continue to talk to each other and stuff. It ain't easy. It's harder on the caretakers. I took care of Grandma with dementia and Alzheimer's, so you got to take care of self because it's harder on the cads.
Speaker 10: I love my brother for what he's doing. He's my brother, is a baby, and I'm so proud of him. He stepped up. We're sibling well right, well, like you know, our papers and shit, but that nigga do the day today and I think that's where like how many comes in at right. I'm already thinking about my next special because I think it's about to be in the same, more personal where I talk about.
Speaker 5: All this shit and the Gerard challenged me with that too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was thinking, yep, thank him for his twenty twenty two.
Speaker 5: Man we went to dinner.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, yeah, I totally forgot.
Speaker 10: Man, that's my man. We went to dinner last week, damn. And like you know, everybody's loving my ship and Gerid love it. We know you funny, I love that ship.
Speaker 5: Nigga. I want you to dive in and I'm like, you're right.
Speaker 7: He wants you to go.
Speaker 10: He he wants you to and it's time I can't and I just I got to just tour with it, you know. And you know I've been doing these movies at the same time so I ain't have time to like get in the role, but I'm gonna take time off. He's right, Like daw Karmichael was my little big brother. There ain't a lot of people I listened to. When he say something to me, appierces me and.
Speaker 5: It's like fun. He's right.
Speaker 10: And we looked at the restaurant after that singing Brenda's got a baby for like thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: No reason.
Speaker 5: That dude's saying that hook so hard on that solf.
Speaker 4: It's so that's Dave.
Speaker 7: That's Dave Hollister.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you know that everything? That's no, it's not that Dave.
Speaker 4: That's him singing on. That's him singing on. That's him singing on keep your head.
Speaker 5: Up, to keep you really can't keep your head up. I'm all listen, we can let me. I don't.
Speaker 7: It sounds like the beginning vocals of Dave Hollis. I feel like the Brenda's vocals yet Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you look looking, if you're looking at those those old pop albums, if you look under credits, he gives credits to the Black Angels, like vocals by the Black Angel that was Dave hol.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, you're not.
Speaker 4: I think that's some moment.
Speaker 2: I know it's gonna keep your head up, but I'm almost certain Wikipedia says yes, oh okay, there.
Speaker 5: My fucking mind right now, that's Dave Hollis.
Speaker 7: Figure that that like that just I would have never he don't sound too good, but he sounds good.
Speaker 9: Very saying hook so hard, right, bro?
Speaker 2: What what for you was kind of the line we talked about, like going from you know, we were talking earlier about going from one level of thing to another level of thing. What was the line for you where it was like, Okay, this is completely totally different.
Speaker 10: Hmmm, well I was had an amusement part and he's group of agent kids who didn't speak English.
Speaker 5: Okay, you just said uncle Jude. That's like, oh ship uncle uncle.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 13: I made it like because I don't movie yeah is huge, but I'm thinking that's funny.
Speaker 4: That's the one, so not get out that I get out too?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, no, get out one. Get out there would change.
Speaker 10: How Hollywood saw first and so like, I haven't auditioned since that movie.
Speaker 5: Everything's been offered.
Speaker 6: H oh.
Speaker 7: We call that the Glenn Turman because Glenn Turnman don't audition.
Speaker 10: That's what he told us, Glenn Turnman, I want the same ship, sir.
Speaker 5: That hasn't. I haven't auditioned since that. All these movies soth we do after that has been all off.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: That's the level what I see.
Speaker 10: I see what Jordan Bill told me that what happened he was editing the movie.
Speaker 1: I want that to be Jordan calling so bad.
Speaker 5: First of all, you know not to call me at the six.
Speaker 9: You got rules.
Speaker 1: I didn't those rules, but it's five fifty six. He got four minutes.
Speaker 10: If you don't, if you don't cut people off, that's your busyness.
Speaker 5: They will call you for every single fan when.
Speaker 10: You're talking about this tomorrow. I'm not looking at these emails at the six.
Speaker 7: To look at emails, well, that's ound free.
Speaker 1: There's not an emergency situation, like anybody that's an agent, manager, publicist, don't call me at the six.
Speaker 10: Now, if I did some shit and I called jail, that's different, okay.
Speaker 5: But if it's me chilling, I'm vibing out.
Speaker 10: I'm like, I'm going to my spots to watch so basketball or football, talk to my friends like I need that normalcyed and.
Speaker 5: I make my lights. Seemed like it's all about my career.
Speaker 2: How long did it take you to figure that out and put up that boundary?
Speaker 10: Kind of early, man, we kind of have to get out like once again, like it really was. And I'm gonna tell you, Jordan did call me. It was like, dude, know your price, You're life about to change.
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, with your price.
Speaker 4: That's hard.
Speaker 10: So I started negotiating differently and knowing like if anybody I'm good at get my points and everything, like I'm gonna I get my.
Speaker 5: Money this day, I'm gonna get it. Is that. And then so like I started saying, I started seeing everybody like.
Speaker 10: It was this constant and I'm like, dude, I need a space to like and I'm not even lying to you that this random question you, but like I do have my.
Speaker 5: Drum sets set up here.
Speaker 10: I played my drums in this house for hours, okay, just to give myself peace. So I got a gospel playlist, a couple of them, and I play all the old church songs I used to play and just sit here for hours.
Speaker 5: So therapeutic.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 1: What made you think that lean on Me joke was gonna work? Because that was that to me was such a risky, very specific joke that only a certain few people could have gotten. But you nailed it, Like what made you go there?
Speaker 5: This is this is what's interesting. So this is what made me be comfortable.
Speaker 1: And did you see the retweet of the actress that.
Speaker 5: Posted it.
Speaker 1: Okay, we didn't talk and she's so.
Speaker 7: Sweet and she so dope dope.
Speaker 5: And so I free sd out a whole set. So whatever happened happened. Yeah, I didn't. I didn't have time to go on the road. I've been shooting fucking movies, man, So I just did the show. I literally showed up, did the show. You know what the fun I was gonna say, that's what the fuck happened. HBO was the whole time.
Speaker 1: Oh so that's a protocol, Like HBO has to know what you're gonna do ahead of time.
Speaker 5: Most networks want to see the set ahead of time. It's for legal purposes. It's a it makes sense. Yeah, but I'm like, fam, I've been doing this twenty years.
Speaker 10: I know what I can't say, I know what I don't have to say, and if something needs to be paid for, I'm gonna pay for it, because not a payer.
Speaker 5: That lead on me. Bit at the colpst really.
Speaker 7: Shit, I gotta go back and hear this joke.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you must and it's funny.
Speaker 5: It was like it was all I have to pay for everything musically.
Speaker 1: Even the bone thugs like, well, that was your made up joint.
Speaker 5: They tried to charge my ass for that. She said, it's not even what well, yes, Leg was like, well that has to be bonus song. It don't exist.
Speaker 6: Right, I got.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you we've been I've been singing that song like five days in a row, like I can't wait for you to come on this show because that's gonna be your walk on?
Speaker 5: Can I take some funny ship with that too? So I was should have figure out who I was gonna make mad with that particular event. I was there.
Speaker 13: That's what I saw, That's what it is. I'm like, well, busy Boom gonna be at the me the scary to all the cats from three to six months? Did the friends huh?
Speaker 10: Oh? They was like yo, I'm like, I can't go to Memphis anytime, So I'm not going to Memphis maybe for really, I'm not.
Speaker 1: You didn't even you didn't even oh with his hands.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, but but he he ain't mad, yo? Did he just yo? When Gaseable hit me up, that's my whole girl.
Speaker 10: She's like real, she posted it, but she she didn't realize us the homies, Paul, he probably cool real.
Speaker 5: The mother they are And I'm like, damn, but you gave him props.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 14: I'm basically when I saw right, It wasn't like I was trying to.
Speaker 1: Be a jerk, like I mean, even we watch we all saw it.
Speaker 10: But guess what at the same time, like I well, y'all watched it, and I respect that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: But I was there. I bought my ticket. That's the only verses I went to was the.
Speaker 10: I didn't even know that was gonna happen, but I was like, this is the greatest I always see the people.
Speaker 5: It was in LA.
Speaker 10: If it was any other city like Memphis or Cleveland, dude, that would have ended way crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 14: And Lee literally was watching that on stage while they all fight like this because there was a bunch of young people that all the older people my age that know the groups from them because we was on the back, the kids is.
Speaker 5: Up front, and they was watching it like it was a YouTube video.
Speaker 1: If you want to use this platform right now to set it straight because I watched it. I absolutely did think that you were saying anything disparaging about three six Mafia.
Speaker 5: You meant need it.
Speaker 1: You made it absolutely explicitly clear that you were a fan of theirs, and you know you didn't just them.
Speaker 5: I love that you said that, but we gotta realize, right, these are.
Speaker 1: Like right they said in their ways based off the fight too.
Speaker 5: The crews don't do what they gonna do.
Speaker 10: This is one of those crews with like only three people or four people did something and the.
Speaker 5: Other eighty niggas.
Speaker 10: Yeah, as a comic, I'm like stop and biting me to ship because if I keep seeing these niggas doing this weird shit, I don't know how to not say shit right right and just being out like look, man, yeah, come on now.
Speaker 1: You know I'm fine with trauma, but I also feel like there's a responsibility like I can't but so long, get on this platform and tell y'all like you know, I'm working on myself and da da like I'm gonna do it. I'm finna do it. I'm trying, I'm about to do it. Like there there has to be a point where you just jump in the pool and just.
Speaker 9: Do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, of course.
Speaker 5: Many people scared. So many people are scared to really deal with really what hurts them.
Speaker 1: You nailed that because you said emotions and the thing you know, and I just I've explained on the show that since slavery, African Americans have not been allowed by law to express any emotions. If you angry, you're gonna get lashes. If you start crying, you better not cry if I give you something to cry about em And if you're happy, then you just a bitch, asked motherfucker, And that's like questioning your manhood. So as a result, again we invent it.
Speaker 7: Cool.
Speaker 1: Cool is the idea of holding emotions back. And black people invented cool. So we made and just like soul food, like we cool, we may not have an emotion sexy. Oh he cool man, he's just laid back, you know, he's mysterious. Cool is not being happy, not being sad, not being angry. It's just laying in the cut. And but it affects you. You know it affected me because shit, I was struggling with lymphoedema for twenty years, so all those tears I didn't cry them. Shit swelled up in my legs. So I finally had to do something about it this year. But basically that's the thing, like since slavery, that's epigenetics. That's what I'm talking about, epigenetics, Like since slavery, we have not been able to express ourselves.
Speaker 10: And you know, well think about that with education too, right when you're thinking about it, Like I think it wout being picked on in school for just knowing a little more being smart.
Speaker 5: Well, because we we were it was illegal for us to.
Speaker 4: Read, yes, right, so knowledge it was a liability like being and.
Speaker 10: They would beat you for literally having a book in your hand.
Speaker 5: We just still we're still literally recovering from things that that's traumatically instilled in us. And I feel like I love.
Speaker 10: The fact that we're the first generation to like me and my girlfriend were just talking before I got here to talk to her, like I give myself for real, for real or sometimes like twenty minutes like complain, you know what I'm saying, Like for real, I give myself, like just a hard twenty and then think about the realistic part of okay, brother, you didn't.
Speaker 5: Got through this before orlax, it's gonna be okay.
Speaker 10: Yeah, because I don't want to sit in it no more. And I realized a lot of my family, my friends, they sitting, They sit in pain just because we wasn't permitted.
Speaker 5: To figure out how to get out of that. We were thought to deal with pain, not recover from it.
Speaker 1: Not only that, but you know we're gonna sell sooth and I'm gonna need a drink, I need to smoke something, I need to funck something. I might need to cut something, mutilate something, eat something, you eat something. Yeah, there's there's ways to sell soothe, and which is why you know a lot of people don't make it to.
Speaker 6: Seventy five eighty.
Speaker 7: Sometimes you need a little sel hey.
Speaker 1: Man, you know what I feel like the most of the way of the show is always me like and Fonte, But what to say at this moment?
Speaker 6: You know, like like what Steve.
Speaker 1: Bill, let's raising two girls? Bill talk about you raising? Like, how do you deal with stress? You you've had some divorces, you you're raising an angel on the devil.
Speaker 7: Still you can't say that. They can say that, don't.
Speaker 3: I make them run around the house until they get real tired. And I laugh at him it's all my game. I don't kidding.
Speaker 1: I don't know they kids, they suck every once in a while. Whatever, But like Stephen, Bill, do y'all do therapy or like.
Speaker 3: Oh, well there, my mom is a psychoanalyst. I've been in therapy for a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, oh but like panic Jamaican, Your Jamaican mom is just no, my real mom, not my stepmother, my Jamacon step real want to hear a good story. So my dad, my parents got.
Speaker 3: My parents got divorced when I was in my mid twenties, and my dad married his his like head nurse, my dad's doctor, and she's a Jamaican woman. And so my stepmother is Jamaican. And to add on to that, uh, there really isn't anything else. And that's just a funny fucking story. My stepmather is Jamaica. There you go.
Speaker 6: Actually I.
Speaker 1: Don't even properly introduced Reil to everyone in the room. So Bill Bill Sherman is, well, maybe have you done Sesame Street before? Real, Reil's not been on the show yet.
Speaker 10: Wow, why happened?
Speaker 1: Well, Real, we can fix that. I mean, just so basically, you want when you want to go on Sesame Street, Bill Sherman's you got amongst amongst other.
Speaker 6: Shows, But that's his calling card.
Speaker 5: He Bill, Bill is a man, But Bill I want to be on.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Well we'll see what we can do.
Speaker 5: Damn, that's not I wish.
Speaker 15: I wish I had any cloud like at all, because I was like, I don't.
Speaker 1: I have none. But I appreciate that you think I do. I really appreciate that.
Speaker 7: You say Bill is like real time, just like Steal, like Bill you are? You are, aren't your music director of Salame Street. I always say that, is that wrong?
Speaker 1: I am, but I'm freelanced, so you know how that goes.
Speaker 7: There's a whole one of his jobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got jobs, jobs like Questlove got jobs like seventeen different jobs.
Speaker 6: It was a second way from me.
Speaker 1: Egot right, you have a Tony, you have a Grammy, you have an Emmy I do, and you're working on your Oscar.
Speaker 3: I am one day I'll be quest Love Thompson and I'll win Emmys for making documentaries about black music vestivals.
Speaker 5: You should have all this stuff in your background.
Speaker 15: I was thinking about that because there's awards behind you, I believe, And I was just like, fuck, it the next time we do this. I just got to hang them from the ceiling and make a necklace or do whatever the fuck I do.
Speaker 3: I don't I have them. They're somewhere there.
Speaker 1: You go. See that's the next level ship.
Speaker 6: Look at that MTV movie Popcorn. I see it nice.
Speaker 1: I mean, where's your grammy at you know what it's it's in. All the awards are are in my fame corner. I had a function way. I had a function way expert.
Speaker 6: After after I saw this thing, I don't.
Speaker 7: Like it when you do that, make me say it again. He was an expert.
Speaker 1: This this is what I saw the design. I saw the design of David Geffen's crib and successful people. I'm a person that I need good energy. I need to wake up in the morning feeling good about myself. And you know previously, I mean like you've been in many houses of mine and you see how cluttered and fucked up my house has been.
Speaker 5: I have.
Speaker 1: Congratulations. That is that is reflective of a person's life. So yes, I I there's there's there's a woman who is like she is like one of the top world function way experts. She travels the globe, travels she travels all right, it's shaking it all right. No, but that's she basically travels to offices too, you know, and basically reads the energy of the room and says, okay, you know various quarters of degrees and you know I had to do it.
Speaker 5: So is that the same?
Speaker 10: So I had a person that's like a clutter specialist, Like, yeah, that's different to organize.
Speaker 1: She's not a clutter specialist, but I mean she deals with functual energy, and I'm just that feels so different. The clutter specialists like somebody's like hold on, hold on.
Speaker 15: The cutter specialist goes to the container store and gets you the right goddam containers. The factual person like fucking like goes like criss cross apple sauce, reads the room, gets in the vibe, and then moves the piece of furniture and collects her money, goes tou home.
Speaker 1: Not this is what those CDs?
Speaker 5: Yes, everything perfectly?
Speaker 1: Is it alphabetical or autobiographical?
Speaker 7: That don't make no sense?
Speaker 9: What you just said?
Speaker 5: Yeah, why did you even that?
Speaker 1: Was a long silen All right, Look, can we just go in the circle and just say what we would like our twenty twenty three to be like, I'm gonna skip the albums and it's a shame we didn't get to talk about renaissance or I don't even know was there was there a movie that was was amazing? What was kind of shed a tear?
Speaker 6: I shed a tear at Black Panther.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, no spoilers, Okay, I'm.
Speaker 5: Like, I like Woman King too, Leman King, Thank.
Speaker 4: You, Woman King. I gotta watch that.
Speaker 7: Woman King was amazing. Black women have nether skins never looked so glowing. It was more to the movie. But I'm just saying, no light, no lighting has ever lit up brown skin people like Woman King.
Speaker 4: I'm just I finally watched I frod watch Everything Everywhere all at once. Other night, I liked it.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 6: How'd you feel like?
Speaker 1: That's my favorite movie of the year? Now I did the opposite of Fante. I've watched it fifteen times.
Speaker 2: Michelle william Shelle No, No, no, No, Michelle Yo is upseting on Michelle Yo.
Speaker 6: I predict that it's going when the Oscar it's I bet she.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna win, probably win Best Picture, but I think your girl gonna get it.
Speaker 6: Jamie Lee Curtis will win Best Supporting Actors.
Speaker 2: J okay, yeah, she's in it, and I think your girl, uh Kate Blanchet is gonna win Fatar for Best Actress.
Speaker 1: I will say, what what fan take was for me last year? Everything all at once was for me this year. But you know I already told you a microdos.
Speaker 3: So I mean, what's the between your microdosing and and your fang shwingg what's the correlation between your microdosing and your fang shwing?
Speaker 1: Because I you know, I didn't I didn't know how to cry. And like, seriously, when I talk about lymphidema to be I'll say a typical moment between between nineteen ninety seven and June of this year, I'm basically when I wake up in the morning, I might have forty pounds of extra water weight on me. I might have eight pounds of extra water, like depending on what the day is, what the emotional thing is, what the what the air air the flight is. But you know, some days I will look like the michelin man. That's why when you google photos, like you're like, oh man, meer put a lot of weight on it. And then some days I'm skinny and some days I'm big and some day that's LYMPHI deema and that's because at that I got it. I got it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's time what it is?
Speaker 1: I think I definitely lived in a you better not cry before I give you someone to cry about, Like I was really sensitive about when I was talking about the bitch ass niggas shit, you know, always crying to your mom, mama's boy.
Speaker 6: That sort of thing.
Speaker 1: So I learned, kind of like at fourteen, never cry. So I'll say that when I started heavy in therapy and I said, you know, someone asked like, when was the last time I cried? I was like, well, maybe I cried like ten or eleven times in the last decade. I thought that was some normal shit. And the person was like, that's basically like you telling this that you only urinated ten times in the last ten years. That's what that feels like. And I didn't realize that was such an odd thing. I thought the average person maybe cries like once a year. And so once I decided I'm gonna learn how to get angry. I don't you know me. I want everybody to love me. I'm agreeable, Like my last fistfight, my only fist fight, in life was like with Tarik back in ninety four. I'm fifty one years old. I only had one fist fight in my life.
Speaker 6: Aw, that's because I'd.
Speaker 1: Rather be agreeable, so I get angry by a lot of things. But you guys also know there's another side of me where I might be passive aggressive, you know, and no, like, there's nothing worse in the world than a passive aggressive person. I'd rather you just directly say what's wrong with you? Like, I hate passive aggressive people. But I also know that because I'm afraid to show emotion, anger, sadness, all that stuff. So when I started microdosing that instantly water just comes out. I won't even say it's not even like I'm sad, Like basically I'll say, like maybe half a pint of water just comes out automatically. So it's almost like another version of water pills, you like when you have water pills and you just urinated away or whatever. That's kind of what it is. It's not as extreme as it was when I was first doing it, like I started like early twenty twenty. Now I'm you know, I'm I'm in touch with my emotions. I can I've expressed anger. I've cried without you know, so that's why I do it.
Speaker 4: I feel you brother.
Speaker 5: Do you you smoke?
Speaker 4: You do shrooms? Like, what's what's your want?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: You drink? Drink a little bit.
Speaker 5: I'm a simper, but no I couldn't.
Speaker 10: I'm gonna tell you some funny like only on vacation is when I do like edibles mm hm, because when I do that, I don't know any better about how much dosage I should take.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's hard sometimes, man.
Speaker 5: So I remember like we wasn Tego. You know, I was either the hot tails the night before. I'm just eating all the candy, like give it a boat. Oh no, man, and I woke up. It is the crazy th I sold a show that day on Zoom. I was so fucking hot. Nobody ship, you know. I felt like the floor kept going up and down, but I was so entertaining. It's like they bought it in the real Yeah. I was like, yeah, what matter? It's like, yo, you're okay? Like I mean they bone it, doe, you lose your ship? Yeah, Like like dude, I'm high as fuck. I like forty gummy bears. I don't think I them all like it. Like I was like hot. It's like I was Jesus, but I was vacation, so it wasn't terrible, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not that extreme. The keyword is microdoes, so like I'm I'm talking like I'm talking like five to ten like Cypress sill levels like they do two hundred milligrams and yeah, sure, Like well, I'm just saying.
Speaker 7: Like have we like Okay, when you say micro doves, you just mean it could be a variety. I got in.
Speaker 10: General the second time I happened real quick last year, shut up, yes, go ahead, I was.
Speaker 5: I was at Eric and so we had once again the edibles.
Speaker 10: Yo, I did like six comedy clubs, just showed the fuck up, went on stage, rocked all that ship, showed up at somebody's birthday party, kept that ship whatever it was.
Speaker 5: And next everybody's like, dude, like fucking amazing last night. And I remember fully dressed, sitting on my couch like sitting up like what the funk happened last crushing?
Speaker 10: Right, You're like, yo, you was like free step and you left like you didn't even when you said that's my time, you walked out and just walked out the building.
Speaker 5: You didn't like see bad of nobody. You just kept going.
Speaker 10: I went to like six comedy clubs randomly, Wow, and just kept fucking performing.
Speaker 5: Like the Lunacuite.
Speaker 6: You don't have any defenses up.
Speaker 1: He was living in your heart.
Speaker 6: Look the last question, what do we want?
Speaker 1: For twenty twenty three?
Speaker 7: They added rabbit holes on quest Suppress.
Speaker 6: But that's what makes it fun.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 6: Apologies, said Jake Man. Jake, I really appreciate cousin.
Speaker 5: Y'all.
Speaker 7: Jake put together this nice little prep. She not but you railed. But you were just supposed to be hearing it and enjoy all the things. We was gonna say two, but you.
Speaker 1: Know, we could do a post mortem in January.
Speaker 7: Bill said it. Bill already said it was ambitious anyway, So it was.
Speaker 1: I felt like it had some politics on it. It's non politics. It's amazing. A lot happened in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 7: At some point I wanted to go. Atlanta was a great show this year, y'all, Like the best you want TV.
Speaker 1: That I feel like was we finally got back together in person, so we we got outside.
Speaker 4: That was we came outside.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh you're talking about us Atlanta I met, I actually met. The TV show.
Speaker 5: I Love Yeah Chocolate episode is one of my favorite. Man.
Speaker 7: Listen, mister Jacqueline, you know the Goofy episode, like you ain't gonna tell me.
Speaker 10: That wasn't real?
Speaker 5: That was I just stopped. I had to pause it maybe and look it up. All right, man, it happened.
Speaker 4: They bodied that ship for real.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, mirror, but no, I was.
Speaker 5: It was brilliant.
Speaker 7: They did a mockumentary on Goofy and his relation to being a black man that it was like, what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 5: But it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was hilarious. I like the way they ended the show. I thought they ended it well.
Speaker 7: It's very I felt kind of soprano asque, but yeah, they always want more. It's a wrap.
Speaker 5: Nothing nothing in this perfect that's true? Is it true?
Speaker 4: The only the only show it ended perfectly? I think. I think six Feet under ended perfectly.
Speaker 7: That he took it back, I got it the ending of series.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, six feet Underdogs, I hate I hate to leave it on their finger like this what I and I wrote about this in my last book. I have a problem with penultimates in the final chapter. Thus, there's probably every series with the exception of the Wire in the Sopranos, every major cities, I will not watch the last two episodes because I don't like Goodbye.
Speaker 7: So I understand as I felt with Atlanta. Atlanta felt like that it was like, fuck, this is it. I mean, I mean, I appreciate, thank y'all for y'all service.
Speaker 1: Only watched it by accident because other people were in the room watching it, So I like watched it. But I wouldn't have watched the last episode of Atlanta just because you know, I don't.
Speaker 5: It's so funny, you say, because it is. It's weird. But one thing I'll be scared of with with black shows is they always leave with an empty house, right, there's always something just looking around it's like what the fuck?
Speaker 7: And then walking off stage and then you never know that.
Speaker 1: Was actually the Carmichael Show. I know, I see the the DC words, the textables. But even with the Carmichael Show, like because I didn't want to watch, I still even watched the last episode of The Carmichael Show.
Speaker 5: You should, but we didn't know we was ending. So that's the thing, is thatactly still an open book. I tell Gerond all the time. We should do one of those weird Saved by the Bill movie.
Speaker 7: Y y'all gotta do something that couldn't have been the final chapter, especially now I love this now that y'all have both like evolved and so.
Speaker 5: Like, y'all gotta get we should we should do a movie. And Bobby and Keisha is getting remarried and this is what the fuck.
Speaker 7: But it's been interrupt with her schedule on her that show, because I like, I watched her on her other show, the actress from the Carmichael Show that oh yeah, she's she's on another dope show. So I was like, don't take away from her schedule on other four Black Girls show.
Speaker 5: I thought, it's Harlem, run the Worst, run the world the World.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, run the world.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, I forgot all right, So nobody wants to do it.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 7: No, let's do it, let's do it.
Speaker 6: What's your twenty twenty three?
Speaker 7: Like, No, I didn't mean I wanted to start first. I just meant we should do it my twenty twenty three.
Speaker 6: Okay, so it's almost like we never did this podcast before.
Speaker 7: What does my twenty twenty three look like? Probably going back to that question that you asked me about and what I should have been doing in twenty twenty two. I got to work on my own projects and I'm yeah, yeah, step into.
Speaker 6: Your comedy do it? Yeah, all right on paid bill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, just trying to push the envelope, trying to do something different. I don't know, is there anything after? I mean, you did and Juliet did, which is great. Uh is there a Hamilton sequel Hamoton? That's terrible? You done?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just want to produce more things, to make more things instead of just being the random music guy there.
Speaker 2: Oh twenty twenty three. I think just uh we'll finish it up and getting out this Little Brother documentary and uh yeah, trying to find more time to sit still. That's kind of what this last month has been. Yeah, just like just being still. So I try to just sit in that and so definitely make you more time for that for myself every day.
Speaker 8: Correct answer, Sugar, Stee, work work work, work, works, you know more, Just make more records.
Speaker 16: And that was quoting black thought. Actually, you're right. It's a long story, You're right, ste But.
Speaker 8: Yeah, just keep working, keep living, keep trying to be happy.
Speaker 6: All right, reroll twenty twenty three, what's up?
Speaker 5: I can make this personal, but now go ahead, man, this is about to be a most general thing in the world.
Speaker 10: Can we stop listening to dumb motherfuckers?
Speaker 5: M let's start giving them platform.
Speaker 10: Let's stop taking this shit so fucking serious and let them weird motherfuckers do them.
Speaker 5: You got some stupid shit to say.
Speaker 10: I'm not going to take your energy of your dumb ship. I know that sounds very what it is, but for real, I think.
Speaker 17: It might be just it's so we give somebody, it's it's it's not even it's so many, it's so many. We don't have to give lost people energy. They actually need us to have some fucking sense. And when we get them energy with that dumb ship, it won't change nothing.
Speaker 7: They gotta stop making money for people, dude, I.
Speaker 10: Don't even know if it do for real, I just think we just love being entertained by idiots and so like, as long as we stop taking it.
Speaker 5: So serious, that's fine. This make you last fine? Cool? Should be the dobo you want to put a mask on?
Speaker 1: What do with the man?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 10: Just I don't want to like I hope people stop listening to fucking people that don't give a ship about nobody but themselves.
Speaker 7: Right, that'd be crazy, right, that'd be crazy.
Speaker 1: That's a quote.
Speaker 7: That's a quote right there. For real, I want to I'm gonna say, I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna say mine, but let me let me think. Ralph for coming on the show last minute. Notice, I appreciate this. I know this is past your personal time. Yeah, I appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, thank you.
Speaker 5: Can I say this for real?
Speaker 10: I appreciate you course hitting me up watching the special, telling me how much you love that ship all of us with our art that we do, we love other artists with respect.
Speaker 5: Tell us today fuck with our shit too.
Speaker 6: Well, I'll tell it to the world. Man, I've watched that shit three times. It's it's hilarious.
Speaker 1: You got it.
Speaker 6: You guys have to see it.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to give I'm going to give my my twenty twenty three manifestation.
Speaker 7: Wish are you ain't call it a manifestation. I would have said something better, okay.
Speaker 1: But go ahead, Oh that's you know what you want to put out the energy. So I'm gonna say five words and man, I'm closing the episode and I'm saying goodbye. Oh we're dropping a mic twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: You ready?
Speaker 6: Five words, wife, baby to be continued.
Speaker 4: Okay, is that movie?
Speaker 7: Is that movie? Is that the name of the new movie? Is that the name of a new movie?
Speaker 9: What just happened?
Speaker 7: You don't even do that?
Speaker 2: Your ass back.
Speaker 7: We don't be hanging up like that on this show. Look like what the.
Speaker 1: What's Love Supreme is a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from my iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.