Speaker 1: Welcome to River Cafe Table four, a production of iHeartRadio and Adami's Studios.
Speaker 2: I'm sitting here in the River Cafe garden with David Beckham. He has just cooked an exquisite tagatelly with fresher rolls, butter and parmesan. It's a bit much, really, as I don't go around scoring free kicks. I know David has a lot of friends, a lot of colleagues, and certainly a lot of fans, but when he comes to the River Cafe, it's with his family, Victoria and their four children, always sitting at table one, basking and family, love, sharing food and always having his favorite wine, Sassakia.
Speaker 3: Thank you, David, You're welcome. Thank you.
Speaker 2: You were describing cooking as one of the great pleasures the other night.
Speaker 4: It's one of my biggest passions, you know, along with wine. Now, I love to cook. You know. I was in the kitchen the other day cooking for the kids and Victoria was like, can I help?
Speaker 3: What can I do?
Speaker 4: And I was like, honestly, sit down, have a vogron tonic, relax, be with the kids.
Speaker 3: This is what I love to do.
Speaker 2: And I really relate to that because you kind of far. There's a method, isn't there. But it's also creative, and it's also you're doing it for your kids who haven't seen all day, and there's the anticipation, and I think that is something why you probably like to cook and I like to cook.
Speaker 4: It's just one of the main reasons why I love to cook, because it's why I love lego also, you know, because it relaxes me, you know, and I'm forty seven years older and I'll still sit there with you on my own actually till two, three, four in the morning doing lego because actually it relaxes me. And it's the same cooking for the kids. I love to cook for my parents. I love to cook for my friends. And I think that it's obviously come from, you know, my upbringing.
Speaker 2: What was your mother a cook?
Speaker 3: Cooking?
Speaker 4: My mum cooked for me and my sisters every single night, and I had hard working parents, working class parents. When my dad was out from six in the morning till seven in the evening. My mom was a hairdresser and still is a hairdresser. She used to spend her evenings obviously cooking for me and my sisters, and then at about eight or nine, o'clock in the evening, some old ladies would arrive and she'd be doing their hair to eleven twelve at night. So yes, my mom used to cook for us every evening, every Sunday lunch. And my grandma was exactly the same as well. So that's really my childhood with my grandparents. And my granddad was Jewish, so every Saturday when we turn up, my grand would have this most amazing chicken noodle soup with the motsameal dumplings.
Speaker 3: So I was brought up That's what I was brought up on. And the jelly deals.
Speaker 4: One of the delights of been from the East End of London was pie mash and jelly deals and liquor. That was what I was really brought up on. It was the one treat that I used to go with my nan my grandad. We used to go down to Chapel Market. There was the most amazing pie and mash shop there and we used to sit in there, sawdust on the floor, sat on wooden seats and eating our pie mash and jelly deals. What was in the pie Actually, it's just mince meat. It's just mince meat. The pies are the most amazing pastry, and I always get them to turn them upside down on my plate. And then it's a big dollop of mash. And the mash is literally there's no there's hardly any butter in it. It's just salt and the potatoes. And then the liquor is this most amazing green sauce. It's made with parsley and stewed eels, and then I put some spicy vinegar over the top, with some a little bit of salt and lots of pepper. But the jelly deals are the thing that not many people that I know love the jelly deals. My grand used to like them stewed. I literally like them in the jellatine. So they come up in slices, so the earls are cut up, and they come in this this plastic pot and I just pour vinegar and pepper on it, and I have it at least once a week.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Many people that I talked to talk about the food of their parents, but the memory of their grandparents is really important to them.
Speaker 4: We used to go there every weekend because my dad's parents actually had passed away before we had all grown up, so we always used to spend weekends at my man and grandad's house.
Speaker 3: So my mom's mom and dad and we.
Speaker 4: Used to turn up at their at their flats in London, and the first thing that I would do and I walked through the door in my grand's flat would open, I'd open the fridge and there she'd have fresh strawberries. Every Saturday morning that we turned up, she'd have fresh strawberries and a big pot of sugar.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that you talk about that because my husband, Richard designed house which was a very strong route from the park through the garden, through the courtyard into the house and into a garden. But my route, I always used to say, was from the courtyard into the house and into the fridge. You know, my first stop was always at the fridge because again his mother always had food for us.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, they had a very They had a very small flat, so as you walk in, literally the toilet was on your left and just slight a foot further.
Speaker 3: Was the fridge. So you open the fridge.
Speaker 4: And there there was, you know, the most amazing fresh strawberries every Saturday morning.
Speaker 3: Every Saturday morning.
Speaker 4: Because my grandfather used to go to work at about eleven o'clock in the morning. So what we'd do is we'd arrive really early, like nine o'clock. My grand would have this thick, freshly cut bread. She'd make the most amazing sandwich. I'd sit and watch like the football on a Saturday morning before my grand had left, and then he'd go to work and then go and watch Spurs play.
Speaker 2: They do.
Speaker 3: He was in the print.
Speaker 4: So he was in the print, and he worked up until he was eighty eighty one eighty two. He still went to work. And yeah, he's an amazing man. And he was a Tottenham fan. So he used to go and watch Tottenham in the afternoons. And that's where my gran and my mom used to take me down to Chapel Market and we used to go and have piemash.
Speaker 2: How old would you have been?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? We went there from.
Speaker 4: As long as I can remember, I mean two three years old and up until up until they passed away.
Speaker 2: So's your mother. That's interesting that she worked all day and she cooked for you at night, so you sat at the table and then worked again. Would she have done a weekly shop or would you stop at the market or how would she do all that?
Speaker 3: Do you think I mean she'd do.
Speaker 4: She'd probably do a weekly shop shop, I'd say, But you know, my mom, like I said, she'd drop us to school in the mornings. Then you know, you'd do hairdressing throughout the day, pick us up from school, bring us home, cook us, you know, whatever we were going to eat that evening, which was either she used to make the most amazing gammon and chips, which again it's one of those things that I still have now. It was amazing gammon, fried egg, pineapple from a tin, coleslaw and chips, and it was one of my favorite meals and she still cooks that for me now. So yeah, that was one of the things that I used to love.
Speaker 2: When you left home and you were no longer had your mother to cook, but you also you had such a love for food and an understanding of the connection of food and the importance of sitting at the table. What was that like when you left that?
Speaker 4: I was actually quite excited because I left home when I was fifteen years old to move up to Manchester when I was fifteen w and then I.
Speaker 3: Was in lodgings.
Speaker 4: So I was in lodgings for about four years, and then I bought my first house and Actually I was quite excited about it, because, in all honesty, I spent a lot of time in the kitchen with my mum, you know, helping her with the dinners, and then when she would do her hairdressing in the evenings, I used to make the cups of tea and bring the biscuits or the cake for all my mum's ladies that she was doing their hair. So I used to love that kind of thing. So getting my own house having to cook for myself, actually I was very excited about.
Speaker 2: Did you entertain what did you cook for?
Speaker 3: I would entertain I'd have a few friends around, you know.
Speaker 4: I did like to go out for dinner, but my favorite evenings were and still are, you know, cooking for the kids, cooking for friends, you know, especially when I have when I have like a lot of time, you know. Pretty recently, I was in isolation actually for five days because I've just been to Italy. So I came back and on one of the last days, Victoria's parents had a party and I and actually go to it, so everyone was out of the house and I actually secretly loved it. So I literally had two most amazing cuts of meat, and one was a t bone and I had some English wagou. I poured one glass of the most amazing red wine that I treated myself too, because I was on my own, feeling sorry for myself, looking forward to watching the football in the afternoon. On my own, I set the barbecue up, and I think there's nothing better than when you have time to get everything right you have, you know, I had a nice tomato and onion or shot salad, and I literally had the meat and a glass of wine, and it was the most amazing meal that I'd had for a long time. So those are my perfect afternoons or evenings. It was actually quite thick.
Speaker 3: I don't like to brag absolute perfection.
Speaker 4: Well, I've been watching chef Table that more and it gave me the idea of obviously doing you know, the barbecue in the afternoon. So I've been watching the butcher. There was a there's an Italian butcher on the chef's table.
Speaker 3: So I put it on the.
Speaker 4: Grill, cooked it for six or seven minutes either side, and it was quite a thick piece, a bit of salt, bit of pepper, and I like I like my meat. I like it rare medium, a push, but rare more rare, and it was. It came out perfect, and it was only me in the house, so I ate it.
Speaker 2: I like it when it's when you can if it's thick enough, then you can get it really black on the outside, so there's that contrast and you think of the the strong.
Speaker 3: So that's that's what it was like that day. So that was the perfect day.
Speaker 4: And I had a bottle of Italian massetto, so I had Cora vanned it and bought a couple of glasses for myself.
Speaker 2: Tell me, we've been talking about food, what do you feel about wine?
Speaker 4: You know, I'm at the end of the dawn from the East end of London, so really I only saw my mom and dad drinking either you know, blue Nana or.
Speaker 3: Lambrusco, and that was as good as it really got.
Speaker 4: So then when me and Victoria actually first started dating, we used to go to this restaurant in the Midland Hotel in Manchester called the French Restaurant, and it was very fancy and we used to go in there and we used to sit in the corner and we used to order the most expensive bottle of champagne and the most expensive bottle of wine, not knowing what we were drinking.
Speaker 3: We were just wanting.
Speaker 4: To have a nice night out and know that we were drinking something great, even though we had no idea what we were drinking. And I think that was my first introduction into tasting a grape wine. One of the first weddings, remember, I want to say it was either a sixty two or sixty seven tour, and that was my first introduction into tasting something that I thought was great, even though I had no idea whether it was great or not, I knew that I was tasting something special. So at that point, obviously I was still you know, a professional player, so I never really I was never a big drinker. I used to have a glass of wine or you know, every now and again, but I never really drank throughout my career. But then I really started loving wine when we first moved to LA and we used to go to Napa Valley a lot, and I used to sit with people like Bill Harlan or An Colgan, and I think that there's nothing better than actually sitting at a table with someone that knows what they're talking about and what they're drinking, and what they're smelling and what they're tasting annoyingly.
Speaker 3: Victoria is very good on that. It is annoying.
Speaker 2: Actually, she can say this wine tastes of cigarette smoke.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's exactly what she can say. And I'm like, yeah, it really does. And I'm like, I don't taste that, but no, but annoyingly. She's very good at that, and she'll never admit it. She'll always say, well, David's the expert. Then then you know, all of a sudden she'll come out with all that smell that tastes a little bit smoky, and you know.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but you know I love wine.
Speaker 2: Does it matter to you if you order a wine that you might not be happy with that?
Speaker 3: Do you know what I have? How does it make me feel? Actually?
Speaker 4: I think it can make or break an evening in my I really do think it does. Even though you know that you're going to get great food in the restaurant wherever you are. For me, if I have picked the wrong wine, wrong glass of wine, or the wrong bottle of wine, I wouldn't say it ruins my evening, but yeah, it does ruin my evening. And I get quite emotional about food and wine, you know, when I when I'm eating some think great. I want everyone to try it, you know, And that's unfortunately I'm married to someone that has eaten the same thing for the last twenty five years since since I've met Victoria. She only eats you know, grilled fish, steam, vegetables. She will very rarely deviate away from there. The only time that she's ever probably shared something that's been on my plate was actually when she was pregnant with Harper, do you remember, And it was the most amazing thing. It was one of my favorite evenings. I can't remember what it was, but I know that she's not eating it.
Speaker 2: Since the River Cafe Cafe are all day space and just steps away from the restaurant is now open in the morning an Italian breakfast with cognetti, ciambella and cristada from my pastry kitchen. In the afternoon, ice creamed coops in River Cafe classic desserts. We have sharing plates Alumi Missti, Mozzarella, Brisqueto, red and yellow peppers, Vitello, tonado and more. Come in the evening for cocktails with our resident pianist in the bar. No need to book see you here.
Speaker 4: To be honest, I've been so lucky because in a way. When I left Manchester and I had to leave Manchester United, I was obviously devastated at the time, but it's really really educated me in living in different countries, eating different foods, trying different things. And when I was playing in Italy for eleven months, I was on loan at AC Milan, so I'd train in the morning and in the afternoon. I decided to take a culinary course in Italian cuisine and I absolutely loved it.
Speaker 3: So I did that private lesson or was it in a class.
Speaker 4: I had a few private lessons and then it was in a class, but everybody was very you know, focused on what they were all doing, so they weren't even bothered that I was. Obviously at the time it's a big deal to be playing for an Italian team. Yes, so I did the culinary course because my kid's favorite food is Italian. So I wanted to perfect making the perfect ragu. I wanted to perfect doing the perfect risotto. I always had it in my head that doing a risotto. Making a risotto was difficult. Actually it turns out not to be that difficult. So why did they teach you about making Obviously the stock is really most important and literally you're stood there for twenty minutes kind of making sure that you're keeping an eye and everything that's not going too dry, that it's not going it's not got too much liquid in it. And then obviously the ending is the part where every think comes together with the parmesan, you know, So that I just loved that time because I got to perfect the perfect well I think it's the perfect ragu, making fresh pasta from scratch, and obviously the risotto. So that was one of the things that I loved about living in Italy, you know, And it's the one thing that I love about Italians and the Italian food and the culture because for a start, it's all about family. It's all about food and the wine, of course, but whether you go into a small cafe on the side of the street or you're in the middle of Tuscany with an old Italian mama making the most amazing pasta, everything that I ate and I have always eaten in Italy has always been astonishing.
Speaker 2: Everything I would say when you say that it's family, I always tell the story that I was once in a room in a house with Richard and with his family in Tuscany. I heard this huge argument going on downstairs in Italian, and I thought, oh, no, you know what's going on. So I kind of made my way downstairs and there were two sisters and they were in the kitchen and they were having this unbelievable argument about whether or not with a papa pomodoro, which is a bread soup of just bread and tomatoes. One wanted to add a bit of water at the end and the other one didn't.
Speaker 3: And you know, so.
Speaker 2: It's not even village to village, family to family, region to region. It can be sister to sister. You know that there's the right way to do it. And they care so much.
Speaker 4: They care so much, and even when they're not arguing, it sounds like they're arguing because they're so passionate about it.
Speaker 2: I hope we'll cook together more.
Speaker 4: And they loved having you in the kitchen.
Speaker 2: Kitchen, Yeah, we'll plan that. Okay, let's get this on the road, shall David Beckham? So she's head chef, what are you everything?
Speaker 3: Okay, whatever you want to do.
Speaker 2: I want a job, it was Beckham.
Speaker 3: I would love it.
Speaker 4: Job. I need a job, job, you need a job.
Speaker 2: So I'm here today with Sean wowing the head chef the River Cafe and my friend David Beckham. And it's now twenty to six and people are coming in soon, so the two of you.
Speaker 4: Better get going.
Speaker 3: What are you going to make?
Speaker 4: We are making Telly? Telly, you're happy with that, chef.
Speaker 3: I'm more than happy with that, yeah, David. Okay, David, it's going to cook.
Speaker 2: Okay. Oh yeah, give it a really good shape, yeah, shake it, shakey, got it go and.
Speaker 3: A bit of parsley.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: What do you like cook at home?
Speaker 2: David?
Speaker 4: What do I like cooking at home? To be honest, my kids are obsessed with Italian food, so the majority of the time they get me to make like a raggedy because the kids love I can tell.
Speaker 2: When you're shaking the pane that you work just in office.
Speaker 3: Quite impressive, you made it? Yeah, yes, I think we could turn them into quite useful shop. And it has done a cooking course.
Speaker 2: It transpires collapse.
Speaker 3: I'm really impressed by that.
Speaker 2: Actually, So that was good. Now it's time talk. Stop beating and we'll talk.
Speaker 3: Can I take you with me?
Speaker 2: You finish journey, we'll take it with us.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: We have an open kitchen and one of the great pleasures for me is being able to see the reaction of people eating now, whether they love it or they don't love it, whether they share it or they don't share it, whether they talk about it. You know, it's part of the whole joy of eating out.
Speaker 3: And I love open kitchens, you know.
Speaker 4: I like the interaction that you can have with you know, what's going on around you.
Speaker 3: You know, I like to see what.
Speaker 4: The chefs are doing. I like to see what's being prepared. To be honest, I've been so lucky because I lived in Spain for four years, then I moved to America. Then I spent eleven months in Italy, and then I was back in America, and then I moved to Paris for six months. So I had all of this kind of education in you know, living in different places, eating different foods, trying different things.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: When I was living in Paris, I was again Victoria, and the kids kids would going to school in London, so they obviously couldn't live there with me.
Speaker 3: They'd come out of the weekends.
Speaker 4: So again, one of my favorite restaurants in the world is Lammy Luis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, I mean absolutely agree.
Speaker 4: It is literally, I would say it's probably one of my favorite restaurants in the world for atmosphere, food, enjoyment, everything about it. You know, from the moment I walked in, and you know, all the waiters are dressed in those white jackets, and whether you're wearing a bomber jacket or whether the most elegant lady walks in and the chanelle coat. They take your coat off, they fold it up and they throw it above the head the on the it's like a train carriage. And my record for eating es cargo is I've eaten thirty two es cargoes at one dinner.
Speaker 2: To the listener, can I tell you those a big? I've had that many times.
Speaker 4: Big And they come on trays of six or nine I think, and they come and I was in there for about four hours with Victoria once and we had the most amazing wine and everything about that restaurant. And I used to go in there, and I shouldn't have done, because obviously I was a professional athlete, and you know, I tried to watch what I eat, but I just made sure I ran harder the next day. So I used to go in there once a week. They used to let me come in the first the service was at seven thirty. I think it was in the evening that was. No one was there at seven thirty either, So I used to turn up at seven, and by the time the first people were coming through the door around called it to eight o'clock, I was walking out. So I used to do that once a week. I used to go on my own. I didn't care that I was on my own. I just didn't drink the wine, but I just sat there and I ate the most amazing food.
Speaker 2: I love it, and the pond freed theo used to take.
Speaker 4: The bread and everything about It's just unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Crim Fresh.
Speaker 4: At the end, they bring that tub of crim fresh out and they just dollop it on the plate and the small strawberries.
Speaker 2: One of the high points of my career. As you know, the headway to they're the one with the black hair. It's not called Louis, I can't remember his name. And he came to the River Cafe with his family, with his wife and his children, and it was really such It was such a moving experience for me to have them there. So you actually had the experience of living in Milan in my marriage and Madrid.
Speaker 4: Yees.
Speaker 3: I lived in Madrid. When I first moved to Spain.
Speaker 4: I was twenty seven years old and I lived there for four years, and I became really obsessed by wherever I would live in the world. I decided in my head, Okay, this is where I'm going to be for the rest of my life, because I had to look at it like that, because I wanted to throw myself into the culture, into the language, into the food, into everything that I was doing in that country. So Spain was a big you know, food kind of family kind of cult, you know, I have. For a start, I couldn't believe how long the lunches went on for. You know, we'd start lunch at two and still we sat there at seven, and then they'd go for a sleep, and then we'd come back and have dinner at eleven, and I'd be like falling asleep at dinner. But I loved everything about Spain, you know, from the ham On to the Loma to you know, to everything that I ate in Spain. I lovedz It's like the it's the barnacles and you put them in hot boiling water, only for it not for long, yeah, and then you kind of twist the end off and it's like it's very chewy, but they're very salty. So they're called buth thebz and yeah they're they're barnacles and they're very difficult to get. Literally, the guys tie theirselves onto the side of these rocks. They then wait for the waves to go out. They go down get them and then come back up before the wave comes in. So it's quite dangerous. And still now every time that I go to Spain, every time that I go to Madrid, I always come back with a leg of ham on. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Always.
Speaker 4: It goes in the middle of the kitchen Ireland and every time that the kids walk past, they slice a piece off.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but how was it being an athlete with a discipline? How did you marry your passion for food with the discipline of having to be absolutely fit for a game? Did food affect you?
Speaker 3: Did you eat a cera? To be honest, I was lucky.
Speaker 4: Food never really affected me, but I did, you know, as much as I am sat here saying, you know, the cram fresh, the escargo, everything that I've talked about, I still try to eat in the most healthy way because obviously being.
Speaker 3: An athlete I have to eat in the right way.
Speaker 4: But then I think the dietary requirements now for athletes, especially in football, have totally changed over the last twenty years. When I first joined Manchester United, you know, the canteen was all about having steaking chips and beans and then you'd have a jam roly poly or you'd have a slice of chocolate cake. No like after training so you'd have a slice of chocolate cake with chocolate custard. But now it's totally different. Now it's totally different now. Well, it depends where you play, what manager you know you're playing under. You know, there were certain managers that would only want us to eat boiled chicken, which disgusting, but that's that's how they felt that we should be eating, you know, no ketch up, you know, and then you have the opposite. When I was living in Milan, I was kind of thinking, how am I going to be fitness wise because I'm going to be eating a lot of pasta, a lot of olive oil, a lot of you know whatever. But it was actually one of the fittest that I'd ever been in when I was playing in Milan, because I think the produce is so clean it's so good. The quality of it was just incredible. So over the years it's definitely changed for sportsmen. You know, I've been lucky that I could kind of eat whatever I wanted, but I've always been careful knowing that I can't have a glass of wine four days before a game because I don't want it to affect anything that I'm doing at the weekends, even though it was only a glass, you know, So I'd always be very disciplined on that.
Speaker 2: And do you think that athletes now are much more very I think that that's part of the culture now.
Speaker 4: I think if you start it early enough, then it becomes part of your life and part of your culture.
Speaker 3: It's what we try and do with our kids, you know.
Speaker 4: We try to educate them that, you know, if they eat the right things and drink the right things and look after theirselves now, you know, at such a young age, then they'll continue it through through their life lives. And I think it's an important part of life.
Speaker 2: It's education, isn't it. And I guess I could ask you a question of George Best goodn't I about One of my great memories of the park was at Parkinson and the two of you there, and I think, you know, I probably fell in love with you that night because you were so respectful and so generous to him that you know, I think there was a point in the interview. I don't even know when that was, but Richard and I watched where Parkinson asked your question and you said, I'm in the presence of you know, this man, and I think we should let him talk. And that was very, very moving to me. But he wasn't really taken care of, was.
Speaker 3: He in the way.
Speaker 4: But I think that he was part of a culture, you know, and I was part of really the start of my career, and a culture that was totally different to what is right now and these days, you know. But you know, George was the most amazing player, the most amazing talent, and the most amazing person and as well, you know, I think that I was I felt so honored to even be sat, yeah, you know, on the same sofa next to him, in his presence, and he's such a special person. He was, you know, he was one of my dad's heroes. My dad was always a Bubby Chilton fan, but obviously George best. You know, he's a Manster United fan at the end of the day my dad, So having me on the same program as George Best probably was one of the highlights of my dad.
Speaker 3: One of my most favorite restaurants is.
Speaker 4: He's in Brooklyn, New York, and it's this old pizza place that's been there for a long time called Luke Carly's, and it's run by Mark and he owns He owns lu Carly's and it's just simple, simple pizzas. He doesn't sell any alcohol in there. So you turn up and he brings these amazing muscles out, amazing clams. He makes this spicy rigatoni, and then he brings the pies, they call him pies. And I always take like a great bottle of wine because I love eating pizza with great wine. I do like to go to fancy places from time to time, but I'm more about the family style, you know, sitting there, great atmosphere. You know, it doesn't like I said, it doesn't have to be fancy, doesn't have to be the most expensive meal in the world, doesn't have to be the most amazing bottle of wine in the world. Just has to be good people around the table, good food, and you know, atmosphere is important.
Speaker 2: That's it when we thought when we opened the River Cafe, there was this feeling in the eighties that you either had the choice of eating really really well but being terrib that you were dressed well enough that you might be late, that you might insult the chef, that you didn't know the wine. The summer may make you feel stupid, but you would have a good meal. Or you could go to the local and have a fantastic atmosphere but maybe not the greatest food. And it wasn't just Rose and myself. There was Alice Waters, and there was Roly Lee and Wolfgang Puck, and there's a whole generation that said, why can't we do both? You know, I don't want a dress code in my restaurant, but I want to serve really good food. And I don't want an intimidating wine waiter, but I want to have really great wine. You know that you could have both, and that you can have fun and have the drama and eat really well.
Speaker 4: I think that's what's so special about here, in all honesty, you know, I think the atmosphere, you know, you're you're you're going to always eat great, thank you. The menu is constantly changing you're not intimidated. Whereas you know, I suppose in the early days, where I wasn't used to going to great restaurants or eating great food or drinking great wine, I suppose there was a certain part of.
Speaker 3: Me that felt intimidated.
Speaker 4: But this is a place where you walk in and there's not one part of you that feels worried about ordering a bottle of wine or order in a glass of right wine, or order in the wrong wine, or you know, it's special.
Speaker 2: I know what I want the people who work for me, or how I want them to eat, and how I want to make them come to work in an environment where they can look out a window, where they can feel that there rest, you know, in the end, where they want to come to work. Do you feel that that is a responsibility to people who are.
Speaker 3: In management, without doubt?
Speaker 4: You know, I think that I've been lucky over the years to have been part of some great teams, you know, obviously with the teams that I've played for, playing for my country, representing my country, I've been very lucky to be around great management, great teams, great support, you know, my family, my friends, and now I have my own team within my own office, and I want them to be as happy, you know as they are at.
Speaker 3: Home and when they come to work.
Speaker 4: I think that's a really important part of running a business. And I tried to do the same as Victoria tries to do the same with the kids as well. You know, we want them to be happy, We want them to be healthy.
Speaker 3: Do they cook with you? They do? They do.
Speaker 4: Actually Brooklyn Brooklyn actually loves cooking. He posts a lot of the moment about things that he's making, things that he's creating, but all the kids actually love it, you know. And I think in the last eighteen months, with all the lockdown and everything that has been happening, you know, whether we were baking and whether we were you know, creating herb gardens.
Speaker 3: Me and Harper, you know, built our.
Speaker 4: Own herb garden, you know, with whether it was a rocket and we had some mint and we had some rosemaries, so we'd kind of created that and actually we got very excited when we saw it all come together. And then you know, every time that Nana has a gin and tonic, you know, Halfer goes out into the herve garden, she cuts some rosemary off and puts rosemary.
Speaker 3: Into the glass. So it's we had a little bit of fun with that.
Speaker 2: We've you know, talked about so much about food as love as food as a connection. But I suppose before we say goodbye and I go, what would be David Beckham, you're a comfort food?
Speaker 4: After me talking about all of this great food that I taste and all of these great restaurants that I go to, you know what my comfort food would be? A packet of sort of vinegar discos.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: I think that's what it would be.
Speaker 4: And maybe a toasty made in the Brevel toaster with baked beans. That so the Brevel toaster that you So I put the bread in a little bit of butter on the outside actually so it doesn't stick, and then I put the baked beans in revel toaster for about four or five minutes, open it up and it's so that actually in a packet of discos, no cheese discos O. I know, after all this great food, that's what comfort istah. You know, comfort is.
Speaker 2: More of a crisp man that makes you feel like, oh, thank you, David, that is wonderful.
Speaker 3: Thank you for You're welcome, Love you too.
Speaker 2: To visit the online Sharp with the River cafe. Go to shop the Rivercafe dot co dot UK.
Speaker 1: River Cafe. Table four is a production of iHeartRadio and Adami Studios. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Thank you for listening to Ruthie's Table four in partnership with Montclair