Speaker 1: Also media. Hello everyone.
Speaker 2: My name is Dan al Kurd and this is it could happen here.
Speaker 1: I'm an associate professor of political science and a researcher of Arab and Palestinian politics. Today on the podcast we have Danielle Kanter and she'll be talking to us about mutual aid work in Israel, leftist politics at Israel, and her personal journey.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for being on the show. Hi.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, if you'd like to introduce us to yourself and your organization, Culture of Solidarity, that would be fantastic.
Speaker 2: Sure. Yeah, Hi, I'm Danielle. I run with a beautiful community mutual aid called Culture of Solidarity. I don't know if people here are familiar with mutual aid work or if I should give a little explanation about that. I mean you can give a shpiel, yeah, shpiel. Yeah. Just basically kind of caring for your community through different like aid programs while resisting the systems that kind of preserve their poverty and their oppression. That's how I view what mutual aid work is. And yeah, so we run a mutual aid It runs in many forms, but mostly it's we have a food security program that supports kind of the people that fall in between the cracks of the systems within Israeli and Palestine. Well, obviously the systems within Israel and in Palestine. We work mainly in Area C in the West Bank in Massapalieta. Yeah, so we do food security, like food packs that are culturally appropriate for each community, receiving them based off of what they are asking, whether it's diapers, baby formula, you know, fit to each holiday. Now we just finished or we're still in the midst of a Romandan annual campaign where they're all going to be boxes fit for the holiday and we host well, well, we had a community center for the past five years. We've been a collective, I guess since March twenty twenty when COVID hit. So basically when that started, it was kind of like we saw that there was going to be a lot of food waste, like an obscene amounts of food waste because all the restaurants, offices, hotels, la la la who would be closing, And we thought we'd kind of rescue that food and redistribute it to communities that were in need until the government kind of got on their feet and understood what their virus was that was kind of the beginning of our deep, deep political awakening of this place, thinking that there would be a system that would come and serve the vulnerable communities around us. So that's when it started. I think only like a few months into that when we thought we were kind of just like, yeah, good citizens doing the work and not understanding how politically charged it is to serve your community when they're actively being oppressed by the systems that are supposed to care for them. And I think in that moment, we understood that we want to not only serve our neighbors or community, we also need to learn about these root causes of oppression and what brought them to this position in the first place. You know, people often say like, oh, you know, someone's poor. They don't have food in their fridge, like in their ways of trying to raise funds or whatever. And it's it's an atrocity almost to kind of depict it that way, because all of these communities are actively being abandoned, Yeah, being abandoned in a nice way. You know, they didn't wake up one morning and didn't have food in their fridge, right, they don't have food in their fridge because of a policy that preserves that status, and so that is they mutual aid that we run. We had a community center for five years where we hosted weekly events or daily events every evening. All the events would be under that umbrella of learning as a community about these injustices. And they could also be you know, shows, and they could be debates, and they could be lecturers or workshops, and all of the proceeds would go to our food security program. And in that way we are one hundred percent community funded. No one has salaries. We made a conscious decision back in the beginning when we realized all the injustices around us, that we didn't want to institutionalize and become part of a system that is responsible for that. And that is not to say that NGOs aren't amazing. That is not to say that you know, there aren't ENGOs doing God's work here.
Speaker 1: But they are constrained. Yeah, there's there's different constraints.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And this was our personal decision to act as a community. There's another reason we didn't want to institutionalize in this because we didn't want to make a business out of something that shouldn't be needed. You know, I mean, when you get salaries and tactica, like it perpetuates the need to continue in a way, and like there's all going to be need right, Like it's not We're gonna you know, oh and then they're not going to need anymore. But you know, I saw unhinge like a dating app. Yeah yeah, it said an app meant to be deleted, and I just thought about that, like, oh my god, that is the essence of it all, Like we're not supposed to be doing this, isn't like, I mean, we should be caring for our community and our neighbors. That should go without saying. But also our taxes should be directed to serving our neighbors that are in vulnerable states.
Speaker 1: So I will definitely link in the show notes to like the Instagram and things like that. And for people who are I mean, I'm sure for some people who have seen the documentary no other Land, this is the same community that you all work with in Masafrietta. But yeah, yeah, so I'm interested in a couple of different kind of directions.
Speaker 2: But would you say that.
Speaker 1: A lot of the people who come to Culture of Solidarity and like volunteer and start to participate in your activities, do you think that that opens up the space to not only question injustices within the Israeli system, but how that's tied up with the occupation, Like is that kind of the path forward for people?
Speaker 2: I think that is the path or that we want for people. I think we are very forgiving in a sense in the way that like not forgiving, but just understanding, you know, the journey that it took us to unlearn what we know. Like that's a hard one and I'm going to go pre October seventh. You know, you're doing work to unlearn what you've been taught is in your entire identity. And you know, post October seventh, you just see everything, like everything has become so much more pornographic, Like you know, it's the amount of death murder, the genocide, the ethnic cleansing in the West Bank. You know, just this week, six communities have been pushed out of their homes by the army, by settlers Paris, And it's become much more immediate. Whereas I think before October seventh, I mean, there didn't go a week in which we didn't have an event talking about the occupation and learning. But I think after October seventh it became this like huge divide of like this kind of like protection over one's identity. So we did a lot of work to kind of dismantle that notion that to empathize with another people comes on the expense of your own pain and trying to you know, mirror the power dynamic to people like, yes, we all had family and friends and people that we knew that were murdered. That we're taken, that we're like abducted. And with that being said, Israel has been committing a genocide in Gaza for the past still it's ongoing two in something years. The other day, I got a message on our Instagram basically being like I love the work you do. You do really important things, and you know there is racism and there is poverty. But from there to say that there's ethnic cleansing, come on, like, I don't know if I can support your work anymore, and basically also meet that with love as well to be like I hear you. This is the policies that people in our government are advancing, this is who our army is protecting, this is what ethnic cleansing means. And in that situation, I can also turn to my community and my friends, like I have a friend that what he does for work is kind of gathering all this information of articles and everything that's coming out to educate. So all right, cool, I can use those articles to help teach this person that yes, there is in fact ethnic cleansing happening in the West Bank, like and you know it's not even like this like oh, how do I say? It's like no, actually, are like our government officials are saying this like smoothly said it the other day, right, so yeah, but yeah, it is this kind of like open door.
Speaker 1: Yeah for Israeli is that maybe not they're not there yet.
Speaker 2: Also, yeah, I think that it's like it's it's hard. It's like really hard because you're at this point where it's like very far from where those people are that are like beginning. And also you have sometimes resentment towards your society and most of sometimes a lot of the time you have resented. I'm always as nothing with like in general, when someone wants to is asking a question, I think that is just like amazing and important and cool, let's have a conversation about this. At least they're asking, yeah, and they're wanting to learn, they're questioning something. That's that's the way forward. And with that being said, you know, the past two enough years have also been excruciating living in this society, like you're living in a genocidal society and you're around people that could justify certain, you know, acts, certain war crimes. Yeah, you kind of find yourself not wanting to engage, not wanting to love, not wanting to teach, not wanting not that I'm the one teaching, like we're all learning together about this and hosting, but obviously not wanting to have conversations sometimes because you're just like, well, you see what's been happening online over the past two years, and you still can't comprehend what is going on, and God, I don't know what I can do to help that. But then I have to remind myself that if I am here, if I'm living here, I have a responsibility and that is to, yeah, facilitate more meetings conversations in which people will be exposed to the injustice is being committed in our name. And that's a problem with liberal Zionism as well, because liberal Zionists will be like, oh my god, yeah, it's terrible, what's happening in the West Bank settlers, blah blah, blah, but like they'll still send their you know, their boys to go be pilots in the army and you know, bob children. And it's kind of like finding the way to kind of be like no, no, you can't, like you can't be against that.
Speaker 1: And then before that, right kind of demonstrate the cognitive dissonance to them, like, yes, there's kind of a contradiction here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Sorry, I feel like it's just a little little no, no, not at all.
Speaker 1: This is extremely rich in thought provoking content. I want to ask what kind of organizations do Culture of Solidarity engage with, whether in Israel and in Palestine, and kind of relate it to that. What role do you see an organization such as this a mutual aid organization? What role do you envision for yourselves in Palestinian liberation? Like what role are you intending to pay? You kind of touched on it already in terms of like teaching and learning within your own society.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we work with a lot of different organizations because it is very important for us to you know, not reinvent the wheel and kind of learn with our other organizations, whether it's Gisha who talk about the actual words of Gisha's access and they talk about access in Gaza, the access to water, to electricity, the infrastructure and Gaza. And then we could host tours every time it's a different organization. This guy money in our group, he runs these tours and he will do with Breaking the Silence and Missus. They'll do one with the Zoo, which I'm sure, yeah, you can probably link all of these in the definitely will. Yeah, it was Maia, which is the Charles Kloramuncia, which is literally down the street from where I'm at right now, and it's the beach of Yafa and the village that once existed there, or even with a woman named Hilaharel to go through a tour within the half abandoned Israeli new bus station, and they're all tied to injustices. They're all tied to something that was or was there and isn't anymore, or atrocities currently happening. Obviously also when in the negative to learn about the different Bedouin communities and the injustices that they're experiencing. And then so that's yeah, it's called touring and solidarity. And then we'll have I mean, honestly, probably any left radical left organization that you could probably think of. We collaborate with them in some way or another. It's a pretty tight knit community and this has been a beautiful thing of like trying to you know, always there's always a knits and grits of blah blah blah, but I mean uplifting each other and collaborating with each other is so important to not feel alone as Israelis against the occupation, Yeah, and for an actual true democracy in the land or liberation. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you work with Palestinian groups within Israel and in the occupied territories?
Speaker 2: Yes, we do. We worked with in organization in Gaza called Dignity for Palestine and we did a big flower fundraiser last year. And we've worked with organizations that are like you know, physicians for human rights that are both you know, Israelian Palestinian lead. And then we have our annual Ramandan campaign that I was telling you about now, and that's what rabbis for human rights who are not Palestinian. But we do work with different groups within Palestine. One of the people that was you know, the main receiver and distributor of these boxes was Adadarin, who was murdered in July by settler, you know, on Levy. So yeah, it's working directly with communities. Second question was what role do you left this Israelis have right now? Is that the question?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, what role do you envision either for yourself as you you personally or for Israeli left in Palestinian liberation?
Speaker 2: I know it's a big question. That is a big question. It's an important question, and I think as long as we are living on this land, it's our response. It's I mean, I mean, I think it's everyone's responsibility to free Palestine and for the Palestinian people to have equal rights to have access to whatever they wish for under Yeah, a government that sees both counterparts equally and the obviously accountability and reparations that would need to happen in order to get there. I think that our responsibility as Israeli left is to keep fighting for that, is to keep fighting for that within Israel and within Palestine. So, whether it's protective presence in the West Bank, protective presence is a kind of program where you sleep at different Palestinian homes every night just in case settlers come in the middle of the night to attack, or the army comes in the middle of the night to attack, and you're there serving as protective presence. You obviously have a privilege. You have an Israeli passport, you're Jewish, that is a privilege on this land, and to be there, you know, obviously you don't decide what goes down. You ask each family how they want to deal with this, and you serve that. So I think protective presence is one of the most important things Israeli Israeli leftists can do, because yeah, like I said earlier, it's just getting worse and worse, and it's at a high. It's always been bad, but the past honestly, I think since no other land came out, I think it's gotten a lot of attention on them. Essentially. Well, there's always been attacked by settlers, of course, yeah, but I think that, Yeah, in the past year, it's gotten to an all time high.
Speaker 1: Well, there's also kind of like the general impunity that the Israeli government and the settler movement.
Speaker 2: Like exactly not yet, especially after.
Speaker 1: Biden left, like not that he was holding them accountable, but of course certainly gloves were off after that.
Speaker 2: For sure. No, no, exactly, that is very true, but basically in the last year two years, it's gotten much much worse. So I think Israeli leftists have a responsibility to be serve as protective presence for one number one. I think number two, they have a responsibility to educate their society, and to not only educate, but to constantly learn. I feel like so many people in Israel are in just like this constant victimhood of like the whole world is against us, like everyone's anti Semitic, blah blah blah blah blah, and like from that to what actually, I mean, obviously there's anti Semitism, Obviously there are people not saying that there isn't of course, but without any accountability for what we have turned our backs to over the past two and a half years. Like, there's so much work to be done, and I think, you know, the easy way, whether it's a Western or abroad telling you like, well, why do you live in Palestine? You should leave blah blah blah, or whether it's a Palestinian in the West Bank being like you can't leave, like you have, we need you here. Obviously, it's an unnatural ecosystem to have, you know, leftist activist running through villages and the West. I mean, but that's the reality of things. So as long as I am here, living on this land and where I'm from, I'm going to do everything in my power to resist what is happening and to learn together with other people. It's hard because we're not We're a really tiny community like that. You know, there's people that again are against you know, all the war blah blah blah, like but yeah, but not seeing how that is like interconnected with the entire premise of the state. There's a lot of work to be done, and it's hard because you're also bitter, like you know, and you want to have compassion with them.
Speaker 1: You're bitter, and I'm like, ah, you're like, you've made so much work for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, also, I get it. I've been there. I wasn't raised in a left home. I know what it is to be raised up conservative, right wing, you know, Zionists, and I'm obviously very far from that. But I know what it's like to have to leave everything you've been raised on. I know what it's like to have family not want to talk to you. I know what it's like to have friends not want to be friends with you. Anymore to have so many people around you telling you that you're wrong, but you know that this is the right thing to do. And I get that, and I have compassion for that. But then there's also just like sometimes you're just like, yeah, no, I can't, I can't imagine.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a it's a very difficult journey to travel through. I understand the sentiment that you've expressed that like the last two years should have been enough. Yeah, but also it's like this whole identity is fragile and people are human beings and like it's difficult for them to like, yeah, I'm not saying anything new, just reiterating what you said about like unlearning, Like it's it's an extremely difficult thing to go through, I think, But.
Speaker 2: Do you understand, like you know, you're a Palestinian and like me complaining about this thing that we're doing, Like it just feels like people know what's been going on. But on Palestinians that have family friends that are subjected to this violence and that are themselves subjected to that violence abroad because of being Palestinian, and then what is happening here, it's like two different worlds. Yeah, it's funny for me to even like be like, oh yeah, like to even try to explain that, because I'm sure people will be listening to this and be like, oh, like, you know, why are they complaining? Like, but then you know your society, and you know what they have or haven't been exposed to, and you know what they've chosen not to look at to not necessarily at this point what they have or haven't been exposed, because I think that's also a bit of a kind of forgiving card, because I think at this point you still call it ai. If you still call it like, there's some deep reckoning to do there. Yeah. But anyways, I just feel like it's such two different worlds and I think that I think, as Israeli leftists that live here, you know, paid taxes in this lan, we have a huge responsibility, if not the number one responsibility, to posts any in liberation. And yeah, I think that's the very long answer to your questions.
Speaker 1: No, No, I mean I think it's yeah, it's a fair answer. I just you know, think to myself that, like, it's not coincidence and it's not to take away from the agency of like individuals. Obviously, everybody has choices, to make Like Israelis have choices to make. They can choose to believe or not believe, or they can choose to turn their back. But at the same time, it's like systems have led them to a point where they dehumanize to this extent that they can see the videos and either make excuses or pretend they're not real, you know. And so it's like the work is to disrupt the systems, you know. I think in that way, I think about like structural constraints that is more worthwhile in my effort. If I was in Israel leftist, I'm not, But if I was in your shoes, like, that's more worthwhile and my effort then to be like kind of demoralized by individuals, if you know, if you understand what I mean, I guess that kind of leads me to my next question. I mean, I know that October seventh was such kind of like a breaking point. But obviously the Israeli left like was in the minority before as well. But what would you say, kind of like in the last two years and kind of to think about moving forward, what are the biggest challenges that the Israeli left faces to continue in its effort whether it's to educate or to be a type of protective presence, whether physically in the West Bank or in their presence in Israel.
Speaker 2: Well, obviously it's our you know, fascist government and fascist society, you know, anyone that is like actively oppressing every minority on this land and especially Palestinians. So I think our biggest threat is our government at the moment. But I think that our biggest my biggest threat if I could think of, like, what is the biggest threat is apathy. I think, like people not caring, people not getting up and leaving their houses and doing things and organizing and mobilizing just letting this happen. And I think on paper, the biggest obstacle would probably be our government that are you know, acting in such a fascist, fanatic, Nazi manner. And I think, yeah, as an individual being a part of grassroots communities and seeing, you know, at the end of the day, there are people that are going out there and actively like murdering Palestinians, that are you know, pushing for policies to deport children, Filipino children or children of migrant workers. There's so many injustices towards different people, and there are people that are like actively going out and like fighting for these like terrible, terrible fanatic ideologies. And I think whenever we people don't. I said this in a podcast recently, and someone told me, like, wait, you have to take out that part because it sounds like you're like voting, like you'rely grooting for the bashes to active and like, no, no, no. The fact is that there are people that are doing these really really bad things, and when we're not countering them, when we are just letting them happen and be like, oh yeah, it sucks, but not doing anything about it, not using our privilege or our voice or a microphone to resist that, then we're conforming with it. And I know that's not fun to think. That's not fun. It's not fun to like go or organize protests. It's not fun to do a lot, even though actually there's a lot of things that are really beautiful as well. Being in the West Bank, being with people, playing with children, like these are beautiful things. It's not like we're doing that. But I think when it's within Israeli society, when it's organizing protests, when it's joining a protest as a number, when it's you know, learning and doing unlearning. It's not always easy and it's not always someone's first yeah decision to make. But I think that when you don't do that, I think that is the biggest threat. You know, In the Holocaust and many different atrocities over the years, the thing that like stood out most was people that were silent and people that yeah, didn't resist in one way or another, Like that movie Zone of Interest, Like, oh my god, that movie. That movie just shaped these past two and a half years. Like I saw it a few months after October seventh, and I just every moment that life just existed in Israel and you saw warplanes flying above you, and you know what's going happen. You hear too, like you hear bombs falling, you hear and everyone it's just like gotten used to it, and you're just like, we're living in Zone of Interest. Yeah, that's wild. And yeah, I think it's like a constant question of do I want to be a part of the society? Do I want to fight? Life would be much easier if I moved away and I was just like fuck this place, which is not a bad thing to do. I have many friends that have done this, and I understand it. It's really hard. You know, life would be easier if I just left. It's not the I don't want to say, it's not the sexy narrative to be like like, look we can both, you know, Look, you know, let's learn. It's not fun to be talking and trying to reason with fascists like or people that are in deep denial of reality. You're really well intertwined with. But I think it's my moral responsibility as an Israeli to be here and as long as I can and help create platforms for our society to learn and resist. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I think, like you said, there are different pathways, but I can definitely understand like the feeling you have that it's like an abdication of responsibility having been a part of the society to some degree to yeah, throw your hands essentially.
Speaker 2: One last question.
Speaker 1: I was watching the documentary Coexistence my ass, which is an incredible documentary. I really encourage people to watch it if they can. And it's filmed and it incorporates that moment of October seventh and shows to I mean, I think implies though of course I don't know how widely this applies, but it shows and implies how parts of the left fell off, you know, after October seventh. Do you feel like, now we're twenty twenty six for recording February twenty second, twenty twenty sixth do you feel like people are starting.
Speaker 2: To come back. I don't know, or did just the left get smaller. I think the radical left has become just much more tight knit. And yeah, whoever's a part of it is kind of a part of it. People are always welcome to join and be a part, but it's kind of you know, you kind of have your usual suspects at this point. And I think the broader, like I don't know, liberal Zionists that will call themselves left, and Israel just like isn't really left because they're talking about a democracy within an apartheid state. They are, like I said earlier, sending their sons to war. I'm not saying that's an easy thing, but at the same time opposing the war and not acknowledging Palestinian suffering. And I think there's become many people and this is from my personal experience that just are like, like I said, apathetic, kind of like looking forward with their hands on the side of each of their eyes. Trying not to see what's happening. You know there are people thousands, tens of thousands in the streets protesting. You know they'll be waving Israeli flags. That's hard for me. I don't feel like I'm in the group that would ever wave a flag. And I think they see themselves as left. Yeah again, like I said, like, you can't be fighting for human rights, liberal ideologies within an apartheid state. You can't fight for democracy in an apartheid state. Like we have to touch the root of this, all every injustice happening on this land or in Israel in forty eight, Like, in my opinion, the root of it is the occupation. We've planted roots on rotten soil. We've pushed people out of their homes and took them as our own, and we're not really willing to reconcile what we've become, what we've done. And I think only when that starts to happen, there could be some sort of future here on this land for both people. But as long as we're not acknowledging the atrocities we are committing, and the atrocities are silence is allowing to perpetuate, then the left here is very very tiny. And I say that not to toot our own horn. You know, it's not in a way of like we're not on a moral high ground, Like maybe there was a moment where I did feel that way in a sense of like I know and you don't know, it's like, but then you know very quickly in order to turn your activism into something sustainable, you have to remind yourself this is what I believe in. This is love, and it's not from bitterness, and it's not from being on a moral high ground, like I'm doing this because I believe in it as me as d D. And I really hope other people join and other people also open their hearts to these injustices, and really in order for everyone to have a just reality of just future, then you have to fight for everyone to have those rights as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much for that. I always say, like, I mean, I think this is applicable lots of places. I say it here in the United States, like when there was a crackdown on pro Palestine protesters and just the complete reversal of freedom of speech and everything like that because they happened to be pro Palestine. I said, you know, this is eroding the tenuous democracy you have.
Speaker 2: It's democracy for all of us or none of us.
Speaker 1: And in Israel, it's like, you can be liberal, or you can call yourself the left and advocate in this way. But unless, like you said, you realize what the construction of the state and its continuation kind of like this endless ethnic cleansing project that's happening in the territories, it's like, unless you address that, it will bleed into you. So it's you know, for a variety of reasons, moral reasons, of course, but also self interest. Dahlia Schenlin has an interesting article about this and an interesting argument about this that I'll link in the show notes. And I would say she's a believer in maybe a confederation or something like that, but her analysis is the occupation ruined the potential of Israeli democracy. Like I said, she comes at it from a very kind of different angle I think than you do, but still is a reasonable argument at the end of it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, thank you so much, Danielle.
Speaker 1: This has been a really rich conversation and I think that the listeners will benefit a lot from having this laid out. And of course I'll include everything in the show notes about the groups that we mentioned.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for inviting me, and yeah, I hope I didn't tug your head off. Oh not at all. This is very thank you so much.
Speaker 3: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, is it our website cool zone media dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for It Could Happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.