Speaker 1: Hello Sunshine, Hey fam Today on the bright Side, it's Friday, which means we're popping off on some of this week's buzziest pop culture moments, and joining us for the entire episode is comedian Chelsea Devantis. It's Friday, June fourteenth. I'm Simone Boyce.
Speaker 2: I'm Danielle Robe and this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 3: Danielle.
Speaker 1: We made it to Friday. Here we are happy, Happy Friday.
Speaker 3: We made it.
Speaker 1: I think we need to raise a glass or some lacroix, because I mean, we're starting something new today.
Speaker 3: This is really exciting.
Speaker 1: We're going to be talking about the week's biggest moments in pop culture and it's something that we're calling popping off.
Speaker 2: So today we're inviting a bright Side bestie to join us, and I am making hearthands on the screen because a real life bestie of mine is here. She's a comedian, she's a TV writer and host of the Glamorous Trash podcast, which is one of my favorite pop cast to listen to. The hilarious, the very well read Chelsea Davantes.
Speaker 1: Chelsea is an Emmy nominated TV writer who's worked on shows like Girls five Eva, We Love and Not Dead Yet. She was also the head writer for John Stewart's The Problem with John Stewart on Apple TV Plus, and now she's making waves with her own memoir titled I Shouldn't be telling you this, but I'm going to anyway. Her memoir is a series of personal essays that tells the story of her upbringing and the trials and tribulations on our path to Hollywood.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to hear what she shouldn't be telling us. Chelsea, Welcome to the bright Side.
Speaker 4: I'm going to tell you everything because Dara Vesty and I'm so happy to be here.
Speaker 2: We are so excited to have you. I read the book. I read it twice. It's just it's so good. And you are a celebrity memoir connoisseur. You've consumed hundreds of other women's stories, and now you put your own memoir out to the world.
Speaker 3: How's it felt.
Speaker 4: It's wild to talk about memoirs and then have your own, and then know that now yours can we talked about. And I'm like, whoo, the audacity, the confidence, who is she? It's been actually really wonderful. It was really scary. The first couple of days we were doing fun book to our stuff, but inside I was like, ooh, am I gonna throw up.
Speaker 3: Everyone knows everything about me.
Speaker 4: And then after a few days, like this beautiful feeling came over me of just like wow, I'm truly myself, I'm truly free.
Speaker 1: Wow, you're so brave. I have a vulnerability hangover just doing this podcast, so I can't.
Speaker 3: Imagine writing a whole book.
Speaker 1: So before we get into our pop culture kikey, I have a question for you, Chelsea. Yes, why did you want to tell your own story anyway? And what did you gain from this process?
Speaker 4: Really doing my podcast is what made me want to tell my own story because on the podcast, I recap and discuss women's memoirs all the time, and every time I encountered a memoir of this, like very famous woman talking about something that I thought was shameful, I felt more free, like Debbie Moore finding out her dad is not her real dad, or you know, abuse and toxic work situations. And then in several of the books they wrote like Jane Fonda wrote This, Brandy Carleile, Lonnie Anderson, they would write, telling your story will set you free, and if you can set yourself free. Your story is going to set someone else free too, and so I don't think you're ever really ready to tell as much as I told, but I believed in getting there, and I believed in what it would do for me and hopefully anyone who reads it.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you guys ready to pop off? We got things to talk about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's pop off. This is what I live for, Chelsea.
Speaker 2: I know every week you do a roundup on your Instagram, so this is right up your alley. The first story I want to bring up is something I've been personally very connected to. Rumors have been swirling about the status of Jennifer Lopez ben Affleck's relationship, and I think we have to back up to get the full scope on this because in February, Jennifer put out her movie This Is Me Now. She invested twenty million dollars of her own money, and this is when the internet started talking because people were saying it was unhinged. I watched it, I sort of agree. However, there was a companion documentary in which we saw ben Affleck appear. People on the Internet started talking again, and she kept calling it the greatest love story never told except for she was telling it, so the people started talking again, and then it just got out of hand. TikTok started talking about like all these bad encounters that they've had with j Low over the last thirty years. And fast forward, she cancels her tour. She and Ben are quietly selling their house, and I just feel like the media coverage has been brutally unfair. They keep saying it's like her and her ambition, but now everybody agrees.
Speaker 3: Tell me what you all think. First off, I need them to stay together.
Speaker 4: So everything I say here today it's not like my perfect projection. It's just what I want deeply inside. Because you cannot put out your love story in the way that she did and break up immediately.
Speaker 3: You both are.
Speaker 4: Actors, pretend two more years, two more years on the books. Absolutely not, You're not doing this. And also I can totally see how it goes to hating it on j Loo. First, we love to hate on women who have ambition, women at all, and she's been married several times, and she was so intense on talking about it while including clips from Ben saying please don't make this public. However, we are all forgetting the Ben has that Phoenix back, tattoo on.
Speaker 3: Us back, you us make good decisions side there. Okay, key, if you've never seen that tattoo, pull your car over, give it a Google. You're gonna lose your minds. So it's definitely I wish we were evening out a criticisms.
Speaker 1: I think the answer here is she just needs to be more private about her love life, Like they were clearly intentional about being out and about being in a position to be photographed. If your relationships are this short lived or tumultuous and you don't want to butt up against this criticism from everyone, why not just be more private. It feels like she's just way overexposed.
Speaker 2: Jane Fonda was trying to tell her that in the documentary.
Speaker 3: She didn't want to hear it.
Speaker 4: She was, but you know what, since Jlo is like, no, I need to make a movie, I need to post about it, then you have to be honest.
Speaker 3: I think that's why people are because she's.
Speaker 4: Trying to do vague little touches on this love story.
Speaker 3: But she just be honest.
Speaker 4: You called off your wedding three days before your marriage. That means the dubs were booked. They were in the cage and then you called your wedding off. How does someone reconnect twenty years later and instead it's like rose petals and symbols, and it's like, be honest, because you definitely can't fake authenticity, especially not in this moment.
Speaker 3: I think she keeps trying to.
Speaker 2: I think you're probably right. I'm going to tell a quick little j Loo story. So I worked at Entertainment Tonight online years ago, and they have these incredible catalogs of old interviews, like because they've been, you know, the gold standard of entertainment news for a long time. And so I had like the late shift, and I would stay late after I worked and just watch all of these old interviews with celebrities. And I've always loved j Lo and so I would watch, you know, hours of.
Speaker 3: Jay Loo interviews.
Speaker 2: There are interviews of her from back in the day talking about how she got the movie Selena, and her old agent is actually on camera saying that Jlo could never take the sort of like easy road. She had to do like five auditions to get Selena, and at the end they called her and they were like, we need you to do one final thing, and she did it, and she finally got the part and the agent called her and was like, it never just like comes to you, and we all think it does because she's so beautiful and all the things, but like she actually such a hard worker, so diligent, and so it's just hard for me to see like the consensus be that like we're all kind of off of her taking her down because I'm like, damn, she just worked so freaking hard. I almost think that this generation just doesn't like people that try hard, and she tries hard.
Speaker 3: I totally agree with that.
Speaker 4: And even if you're in on the drama of like she can't sing or she didn't sing her albums, isn't that more impressive?
Speaker 3: Right, person who can't.
Speaker 4: Sing has recorded sixty songs and goes on to her like that's I agree.
Speaker 3: I love her.
Speaker 1: Ambition, Chelsea. We're having so much fun with you. We're gonna take a quick break and we'll be right back and we're back with our bright side bestie, Chelsea Davantes. All right, before we get into our next door, y'all, I have a quick question for you. Okay, when was the last time you left your house without your phone? Intentionally?
Speaker 3: Chelsea? Never? How do I know where he's right? Great?
Speaker 2: Point, Danielle, I mean directionally challenged Danielle over here. So yeah, when I was thirteen and had a phone that also played Snake.
Speaker 3: On it, I'm in the same boat.
Speaker 1: I never leave my house intentionally without my phone unless I'm a passenger princess and I'm with my husband and I decide to intentionally unplug. But this is mind blowing to me. Ed Sheeran recently sat down with this internet personality, Jake Shane, on an episode of his podcast Therapist, and revealed that he hasn't had a phone since twenty fifteen.
Speaker 3: Isn't a phone since twenty fifteen.
Speaker 1: That's rich People's stuff RPP. Rich people problems. Yeah, he gave up his phone almost a decade ago, in his mid twenties, and he says that he gave it up because he started realizing how many people had his number from his pre fame days and he he felt pressured to keep up with people.
Speaker 3: It was becoming overwhelming.
Speaker 1: He also felt like he was losing real life connection with the folks in his life and now supposedly this is how his life works. He barely has access to a phone. His team will give him one when it's absolutely necessary. But he does have an iPad. He just does everything by email, and then he only replies once a week. Can you imagine being in a business deal with Ed Scheran and you have to wait every week to get a.
Speaker 3: Reply from him.
Speaker 4: This is also something only a dude could do. Oh wow, Like, there's no female pop star who could unplug from her content like that, and we would be like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: You're just like a really weird, cool artist. That's a great point. I know this should be cool, but I'm annoyed. Why I get a new number?
Speaker 4: Does a butler bring you your schedule every day on a piece of paper?
Speaker 3: How do you know what's going on? Also?
Speaker 1: How do you link up with friends with family? How do you do how do you do anything? What if you have a question about something that you need to quickly google? I don't buy it. You think it's a fake story. I think that he probably has some sort of phone. He has a piece of metal that has an Internet and phone connection and it's just not maybe a smartphone. Maybe that's how he reduces the amount of distractions in his life. But there's no way you can be a human being in twenty twenty four and.
Speaker 3: Not have a phone. Guys.
Speaker 2: Larry King had a phone. I used to go to breakfast with Larry at Nate and no big deal. Well he had a flip phone, okay, because he didn't want to get like a bunch of text messages and stuff that wasn't for him. But he had a phone for people to contact him at eighty six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to.
Speaker 4: I guess ad iPad is it is technically a phone. But this is the other thing I think of, Like whenever you meet a guy and he's like, oh, I'm not on social media or like I don't have a phone, I'm always like, oh, you're a cheating.
Speaker 3: Really, that's so interesting.
Speaker 1: I think it's so attractive when someone doesn't have a phone or social media.
Speaker 4: Oh really, I'd be like, who are you cheating on? You've ritted yourself out on this very day. Thank you for telling me.
Speaker 2: Especially if they don't connect their iCloud to their phone. It's like your first sure cheating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't know about all this. My husband doesn't have social media.
Speaker 3: Oh now, Simon Aspire, not at all.
Speaker 1: No, he doesn't have social media and he's like a ghost on social media, so he doesn't he doesn't follow, He doesn't comment, he doesn't interact at all. He just like stalks me and maybe like a handful of our other friends. But I kind of like that he's not on social media.
Speaker 3: It's nice. Wait, what do you like about it? I like that.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's only room for one of us to be obsessed with social media in our house, because then otherwise I think we'd never connect. And I think it's good to like minimize the amount of people who are attached to their phones.
Speaker 3: That's nice. That's nice. That's nice for him and for Ed.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have to talk about a story that I don't want to talk about. Because you've heard of terms for guys in the past.
Speaker 3: On this show.
Speaker 2: We've talked about the Golden Retriever Boyfriends last summer.
Speaker 3: It was all he's so baby girl.
Speaker 2: Now there is a term for men that is taking over the internet.
Speaker 3: It's everywhere. It's on TikTok, on NBC. Guys.
Speaker 2: Even the New York Times is reporting on the rise of what is being called the hot rodent man trend.
Speaker 3: Legitimate journalist.
Speaker 2: This is basically a trendy name for a certain type of hot guy. And let me just give you the qualities of a hot rodent man. He tends to have more angular facial structures, beady eyes, untidy hair, and they're often lankier than typical Hollywood heart throbs. So some examples of hot rodent men allegedly are Jeremy Allen White from The Bear, both actors from Challengers, Josh O'Connor, and Mike Feist. Travis Barker is another one. People are on the fence about Timothay Schallomet being a hot rodent man. Do we like this term?
Speaker 1: I love it. I think it's so expressive and evocative. It's giving like ratitudey, it's giving rescuers down under.
Speaker 3: I'm here for it. I'm thinking like Pedro Pascal Chelsea. Absolutely not. Look, you just said it's a nice term. We're describing hot people as rodent man, aren't we. I think it's a funny term.
Speaker 1: But you cannot say that Pedro Pascal is a hot rodent man.
Speaker 4: No, seriously, rodent man is a dig You're not being like, oh, it's a hot type of rodent ma.
Speaker 2: I think from what I'm gathering is rodent man is sexy, ugly sexy.
Speaker 4: Ugly right, Okay, I see what you're saying that, then yeah, then you're right better, Buscal's out.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I guess I'm gonna have a theme on your podcast today. But like, imagine you're like rodent women are in all the movies, Like, no they're not. Oh my god, dad bought us in. It's like and yet we're still making fun of mom jeans. So I'm just like, are you freaking kid me? You can look like a rodent and be a movie star.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm so with you. I know.
Speaker 2: I think this term is like borderline mean to men and frustrating and annoying to women.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think I can hold two truths. I think it's a hilarious term and I just love saying it a lot, But I also think that it's mean. Would would any if we were to talk to any of these guys, would they be like, oh, yeah, sure, I love being called a hot rodent?
Speaker 3: Like I don't think so, well.
Speaker 2: Are you Are you guys attracted to any of these hot rodent men?
Speaker 1: No, all of the cast of Challengers could get it. Oh there, I mean, but I think it's more about like the scenes that they were in, the setting that they were in, it was like very hot and sensual.
Speaker 3: Simona is a cenophile. Yes, I see if my love of challengers gives you that the great No, it's good challenges.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: If you like hot road it man, let me introduce you to a hobby called improv because for three hundred dollars a month, you can meet all of.
Speaker 3: The road it's you want. Oh my god, you're so right.
Speaker 2: We're taking a quick break, but we'll be right back to talk more pop culture.
Speaker 3: Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: We're back with the hilarious Chelsea Davantes up next. This better not be a tease, because we've been waiting too long for this. So on Monday of this week, on the red carpet for her fenty hair launch party in La Rihanna told reporters that she is not retired and she's looking to get back into the studio to work on new music. The question I have here is do we believe her? Because I can't take this run around. She always says it's coming soon, soon soon.
Speaker 1: Ooh, we're all getting played. We have been getting played for years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Rihanna. Oh, here's the thing.
Speaker 4: I do think that fancy the level of growth has run its course based on all that Rihanna has done and her super Bowl and her pregnancy reveal is huge.
Speaker 3: But if she wants to.
Speaker 4: Keep going and marketing all her brands, I think she knows an album would go to billionaire status and she would be taking a trip to space. That's how rich she would be. So I can see it somewhat being true.
Speaker 2: I feel that in the ether too, the Fenti marketing needs a little boost. I think I don't know if the numbers support our theory, Chelsea, but I feel it. What she said, which I think is interesting, is that she wants to go into the studio and kind of start fresh.
Speaker 3: And so I'm curious what this.
Speaker 2: New sound from Rihanna will be because she hasn't put out music in so many years. Since then, she's become a business owner, a mother, the world has changed, like the zeitgeist has changed.
Speaker 3: What are her influences now?
Speaker 4: I do think Rihanna is a genius, and I bet she's been watching and waiting and she's about to pull elements of like I think Beyonce's country album almost hit it, and I bet Rihanna is going to have like one country single, but then it is also going to do like some of her like Desperado music and like come in just like a tray.
Speaker 3: Wait, why do we think of a country song?
Speaker 4: Because I can kind of hear it in her in her last album, there's like a couple traces of twang, and I can just see her doing what you know what I mean, like the rest of the album to something else and then just having this country banger.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of country, Dolly Parton just announced that there is a Broadway musical about her life story in the works. It's called Hello, I'm Dolly, and it's coming to Broadway in twenty twenty six. So Dolly is actually pretty hands on with this jukebox musical. She's been working on it since twenty sixteen, and she wrote the musical score.
Speaker 3: I find that.
Speaker 1: Encouraging that she's so involved in the creative process rather than just handing it off to a group of producers. So it's going to feature some of her biggest hits and some new ones that she's writing specifically for this musical.
Speaker 3: So we're getting a two for one.
Speaker 2: Mmmmmm. I mean, I want to give this to you, Chelsea. I know you you love Dollie.
Speaker 4: I absolutely adore her. She's absolutely everything to me. I hope that since we are in Dolly's third chapter, she really takes the story and the music to a more gritty and real place because she's been through a lot of hard things. Yeah, she dances around it so beautifully. Yet in her memoir was recovered my podcast, it was she wrote in the eighties and had this moment of honesty before she kind of buttoned it all up again. And I want some of that stuff in her life story because I will watch anything she puts out. I will be at that show. But if you've ever seen like her Netflix Christmas special like It's you know that was a musical too, and I can't say something nice about that other than I love Dolly Parton.
Speaker 1: I'm excited for us to be immersed in Dolly Parton media stories about her. She's going to be in our feeds. I'm also excited to see who's going to attend and the outfits that people are gonna wear to go see this.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be really fun.
Speaker 2: You know how people have those birthday parties and they're all supposed to dress like the person whose birthday it is. I want, well, I want everyone to go to the Dolly musical dressed like Dolly.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: I would love that Gingham diamonds, plaid everything.
Speaker 3: Rhinestones for days.
Speaker 4: The seating have to be so tiered so that everyone could see over, the blonde wigs.
Speaker 3: And so true and the bumps.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right, yours right? I love that so much. Okay, who would you want to play Dolly?
Speaker 3: It's so tough, is it? Young Dolly?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 3: I want christ and China wish to play current Dolly Rene in there at some point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Renee Rap is so it would be the most I would say, most intense acting role she would ever have to take on because Dolly partner is so sweet and always says what it is with sugar, and Renee Rap always says what it is with no.
Speaker 3: She's spicy, spicy.
Speaker 2: She would have to go into method acting, I think, but.
Speaker 1: She's so talented she could. I think she could totally be off.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Chapel roone love that amazing. That'd be great.
Speaker 2: I almost think that we need like three or four different Dollies to play Dolly throughout the years.
Speaker 3: I totally agree.
Speaker 4: And then when she turns forty, she should be played by Trixy Mattel the Dragon.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's fabulous. Well, I guess I just produced the show.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, we're Yeah, if they need any help, they can call us. Okay, before we let you go, Chelsea, what are you up to this weekend? Do you guys have any plans? Well, I'm on the middle of this book tour. I'm in New Mexico. I'm Santa Fe right now. I just thought a writing workshop. We're just going to show to night.
Speaker 4: Then we're going to Albuquerque, and then we're going to Portland, in Seattle, in La So I'm on MCT time, which is Mario Carry time, which is time does not exist. I didn't even know it was the weekend and I'm currently on tour.
Speaker 3: It's amazing that you showed up to this taping. It's pretty incredible. Good I deserve an award. Well, I have a question about your tour.
Speaker 2: Actually, so you're on tour in all these cities and the people coming are connecting to your story and your book. Are there any surprises that you've had in these irl moments?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't like traveling, So I'm just like in this Xanax Hayes As I fly from city in the city, but then meeting people makes every second of it worth it. In Chicago, I was someone had made a purse that said redacted on it because portions of my book had gotten redacted. Someone had made a jumpsuit this like glamb trash, Like unbelievable. And then as I've been signing books the other night, I was like, oh, I want to sign something, and I was like, what do you want me to say?
Speaker 3: And they're like, oh, I don't know anything.
Speaker 4: And I was like, well, just tell me one thing about you and she was like okay. I also found out that my real dad was not my Chad, and I was like, this is why I wrote this book, because you just feel so alone in your weird, little freak experience. Only to find that, like there's someone at every show who had to go through what I went through, and it was just like the most beautiful moment. And all those moments have made me so glad that I wrote the book.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you're feeling that way. Danielle.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to show up in costume to one of her book stops.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, We're gonna dress up like you. Okay, dress up like Dolly Parton, but then come to my show.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, no, I want a Chelsea wig. I'm gonna wear a dress that you would wear. This is happenings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ready for thanks so ready. I'm always like this close to getting bangs. I just I live life on the edge. Yeah, totally join the Bank's army.
Speaker 3: And where is that? Chelsea? Thank you so much for hanging with us.
Speaker 1: Yes, thanks for stopping by our inaugural popping off pop culture Friday.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me a Dori Boles.
Speaker 2: Chelsea Devantees is an author, writer, comedian, and host of the podcast Glamorous Trash. You can find her memoir I shouldn't be telling you this, but I'm going to anyway wherever you find your books.
Speaker 1: That's it for today's show. On Monday, financial expert Missus dow Jones joins us to talk money moves. She's getting real about prenups, how to maximize PTO, and so much more.
Speaker 2: The bright Side is a production of Hello, Sunshine and iHeart Podcasts and is executive produced by Reese Witherspoon.
Speaker 1: Production by Arcana Audio. Courtney Gilbert is our associate producer. Our producers are Steph Brown, Jessica Wank, and Olivia Briley. Our engineer is PJ. Shahamatt, and our senior producers are Itzy Keithania, Jenis Yamoka and Amy Padula.
Speaker 2: Arcnna's executive producers are Francis Harlowe and Abby Ruzika. Arcana's head of production is Matt Schultz.
Speaker 1: Natalie Tulluk and Maureen Polo are the executive producers for Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Julia Weaver is the supervising producer, and Ali Perry is the executive producer for iHeart Podcasts. Tim Palazzola is our showrunner. This week's episodes were recorded by Graham Gibson, Carl Catel, Jessica Crinchitch Bahied Fraser.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Anna Stump and Hamilton lighthauser.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Connell Brne and Will Pearson.
Speaker 1: I'm Simone Boyce. You can find me at Simone Boyce on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 2: And I'm Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 3: That's r b A Y see you Monday, fam.
Speaker 1: Keep looking on the bright side.