Speaker 1: But yeah, I was just like Telly Jack, I'm like, why did I reflexively take all of my podcast the equipment? And I think it's just this weird thing where usually like we're just resilient. We're like, yeah, bro, I'll be able to do the show with my mom's or whatever, and then I'll be able to move back home.
Speaker 2: That was my biggest priority versus is as huge.
Speaker 1: But even then, I don't even know what I would have took, to be honest, Like, in that moment, I was like, bro, I just want to get out of here with my family.
Speaker 2: Like we got to get the birth certificate. Now we get that printed, you can, you gotta passport. So that's such a pain in the ass. That's good. Yeah, And also in my mind, I'm like, what if the what if the fires chase uself this country? Right? You know I would I don't know one eye on the door, you know. Yeah, yeah, I always sit with my back to the back wall of the restaurant. You know, you want to see what's coming. That's what Malcolm xIC always said. In the corner bro the exits the goal too, you know, yeah, my two heroes do Malcolm exus the Malcolms X, Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three, seventy four, Episode two of Dirtily Hey production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's shared consciousness. And it is Tuesday, February fourth, twenty twenty five. Damn was that mean? Damn? Oh shit, that's me, That's right, it's you.
Speaker 1: Well, guess what National fucking Homemade Soup Day.
Speaker 2: It's National Thank.
Speaker 1: A mail Carrier Day, because I know shit is hard right now, especially just a joy still in that fucking place. And also shout out Hemp because it's National Hemp Day. But don't shout out the companies that tried to destroy Hemp because they had their own versions of you know, synthetic.
Speaker 2: Fabrics that were coming out there.
Speaker 1: Anyway, they say, shout out Hemp, shout out soup, Shout out mail carriers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, little homemade soup one of the easier things to make it home, and like did really a huge improvement over store bog.
Speaker 1: I would, Oh yeah, I made a broccoli soup recently because I got a food processor for the first time, someone donated a food process to me and I never had one.
Speaker 2: And I saw this recipe.
Speaker 1: Gordon Ramsey, he just boiled fucking broccoli and then yeah, season a little bit and you get this really just nice broccoli soup. Andrciper's vegetables are very healthy, pretty super. I really encourage you all to get into the Crucifers vestvals.
Speaker 2: For many years, I thought soup was just the thing that came in. I can like that was many of us did. Many of us did. It was called being in preschool. My name is Jack O'Brien aka in the fashion Knock. If you buck by crime up, fuck Elon, musk Boy, Fuck Elon musk Boy. Fuck Elon musk Boy, fuck Elon musk Boy. Fuck. Sorry they do they do that a number of times. I'll cut it off there. That one courtesy of LOCRONI on the disc Core Shut Up, Lock around Me. I'm thrilled to be joined once again by my co host, mister Miles Grass.
Speaker 1: It's the original Climate Refugee all stars back in the building.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm doing out here. They can't hold me down. I am back in the valley.
Speaker 1: The Lord of Lancersham is back here, cruising Lancersham. They call me the Viceroy a Ventura Boulevard, the Marquis of Moore Park. Okay, I am here, I'm back. It's been a fucking wild couple of weeks. I think I missed a few things.
Speaker 2: Not sure. It's been quiet thought in the news. The only thing I've seen is that Luka Dancis came to the Lakers trumpet. Did Trump get it? He's he's he's he did get it inaugurated at a stylish hat. I think the majority, I think that about covers it. I don't know. We have a good guess. I wish.
Speaker 1: I wish I was a person who that that's how they could sum up the news and then just go under their day. It's like, yeah, yeah, I think his wife wore a hat, and that's kind of what's going on right now.
Speaker 2: And it's like Canadians are mad at us. I guess yeah, I guess whatever. Hello, I love the Canadian the Canadian crowd at the Raptors game booing the US the fuck out of that anthem boom right away, and they did a good job. So it was like first note, right when, oh, so you knew that it wasn't about the performance, that's how you boo. An idea is that you have to start booing right right. It kicks in so that because you know, I felt bad for the singer to have to do this. But then when Oh Canada came through, they were tearing their shirts off the ship, throwing their flannels in there. That's right, they have multiple other flannels on underneath. Anyways, Miles, we are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by one of our favorite guests. It's one of the hosts of the incredible podcast five to four about all the ways the Supreme Court is a complete disaster. She's also a supervising attorney at Texas Law has worked as a public defender in Rio Grande City, Texas. Please welcome to the show on.
Speaker 3: I think this is my third time on Guess Honor. I'm loving it.
Speaker 2: Then, is all ours?
Speaker 1: Let me see that manicure you said you said three and I say hold on, let me wow.
Speaker 2: Nail game, solid nail.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, we gotta we're keeping it popping in Austin in the Trump to presidency to Frescia watching right. Yeah, I learned that I internalized that.
Speaker 2: Shout out titty boy, two chains to change, titty boy, don't want a great rename, Like, truly, renames don't come any better than going from titty Boy to two Chains.
Speaker 1: We always yeah, I felt we were talking about that towards the end of the year too. We love talking about the formerly known as titty Boy FKA titty Boy two Chains.
Speaker 2: It was between two Chains and FKA titty Boy. Good good call by Chains a rebrand. Sometimes you need a rebrand. It doesn't work with you know, New Coke didn't work out the Two Chains certainly greater than titty Boy. Brannon did. I I don't think I missed anything. Not to put too much pressure on yet, but it was mainly Milania wore a hat. Luca to the Lakers covers most of it.
Speaker 3: Gosh what else?
Speaker 2: Oh, like Elon Musk had some kind of like arm malfunction, tard.
Speaker 3: Or something like that. Yeah, you know, like I said, like like we've been saying, it's a quiet news cycle.
Speaker 2: You know when he did that funny wave. It's times like that that. I'm like, man, I wish Leno was still on the air. You know, what would that guy have said about that?
Speaker 3: He was?
Speaker 2: He said it was just he was because he's autistic. So we got some autistic people here to see to that out. You're like, whoa Jay? No, j what are you doing? No anybody in the audience? No, I mean I do kind of wonder what would Leno do with He's probably yeah, hurting himself, Miles, he owes the Mob, money bro believe in the Illuminati, Black Eye Club. Come on, yeah, now, who's naive? Yeah? All right, I'm slipping ran And we're gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're gonna tell our listeners a couple of things we're talking about today. We're gonna play a little game of can he do that? Which just seems to keep coming up with Trump and the presidency and who Who's going to check him? Would be the other the other question in this latest episode of who going check me?
Speaker 3: Boom?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Stop? That phrase keeps running through my head. Donald Trump's saying who gonna check me? Who gonna check me? Boo? Who go and check me? Boo? We'll check out with the Supreme Court just generally what are they about to fuck up? And then we'll just check in a Groundhog Day Apparently all time highs when it comes to ground Hug Day attendance and oh and I I wish I didn't have to say this, but it is part of the story. So I'm gonna say the name of this town gobblers, nob Pennsylvania. They saw real sized crowds. Wait.
Speaker 1: Yeah, When I saw you write that, I'm like, what is this dude talking about? Why talk about gobblers? Gobblers?
Speaker 2: Not get a fucking hold of yourself, Pennsylvania? What is wrong with you? That sounds like, yeah, like a Victorian homophobic slur. You gobbler's knob? Wow? What is a gobbler? Even? You know? I think we all know. You know, they might not have known what they were talking about when they named it, but I think we do now. I know they talk about it.
Speaker 1: They're talking about a turkey's dick. Yeah, I already know. I've got to the bottom of it.
Speaker 2: But like they had such conversational familiarity with turkey dicks that they were like, and this town is the shape of a turkey's dick. So that's why we'll call it goblins. What a time? All right? All that plenty more, But first ran and we like to ask our guest, what is something from your search history.
Speaker 3: Let's see, most recently, how can I get my cat to be normal, just absolutely begging. I'm out here desperate to find out how to get my cat unpossessed by the ghost that currently possessed.
Speaker 2: Got a mean girl, it right, be like, oh my god, why are you so so thirsty? It's like embarrassing. I'm so embarrassed for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's she's absolutely the Regina George of the household. You know. So it's hard.
Speaker 2: It's hard to like step up.
Speaker 1: And like, yeah, wait, so what do you mean like your cat was like one way and now it's a different way, or your cat's always been this way.
Speaker 2: Now you just hit a wall. You're like, okay, I've.
Speaker 3: Never had a cat and this is my first one and she's always been this way. But surely it can't be normal. You know, she's an orange cat. I've been told that that means something in terms of the weirdness.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought you were going to be like, and that is weird. This cat is orange like the fruit. I want to believe this. Let me put the cat and camera orange. I'm not dying. I'm not dying the first.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So she's cuckoo bananas and and uh yeah, I'm whatever resources I can get my hands on to explain how it is that I have that I should be in relation to this creature that does live in my house. Twenty four to seven. Now, yeah, I'm much appreciated.
Speaker 2: Yes, that gang.
Speaker 1: Please hey, Rhana up because I know we got cat lovers. I have somebody in that gang helped correct my cats, like bowel issues. They're like what kind of food? They're like, no, don't do that, don't do that. You need to get this kind of food. I went to the vet three times and a listener sawved my shit in one exchange on a discord DM. So again, that gang, you're always undefeated.
Speaker 2: Are our listeners funded by private equity? Have they been taken over by private equity? No they have not. No that the veterinary industry been taken over by private equity. Yes they have. The fucked yeah. We we used to have dogs and like one time we like dog sat for some friends and they gave us their special dog food to like feed their dog. And when I was taking this dog for a walk, the shits that it took were sparkling. They were like they like glowed. It was like, what the fuck? Like you moan my dogs just like trailing some nasty ship behind it, and I was like, is that stuck to? What is? What is happening? But yeah, so I was. I was fucking up. That's how I learned that I needed to switch the dog food. That's why I learned that food is important for some reason.
Speaker 3: Like my gut biome isn't even this clean?
Speaker 2: What is exactly? Yeah? Just imactive. I'm like, can I do a feld implant with the dogs? If I can get that? I'm of that beautiful, beautiful coat. What is? What's like? Just give us one weird behavior that makes you think your cat is haunted.
Speaker 3: She screams from any room she's in, like alone, She's clearly communicating with something, right. Yeah, she climbs the walls and when I mean wall, I mean straight claw into dry roll. She is like free soloing vertical wall. Yeah, when she gets amped on some things so damn yeah.
Speaker 2: Like Billy goating the wall? Right, did you spider cat? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 3: What's what's her name? In Faratu? Some of those scenes like that's what Petra my orange cat is looking like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lily Rose Death?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, what do you think of you? Like?
Speaker 3: Yes, I like to look at it. Thought it was like beautifully shot, like the interesting visually. You know, the plot is the plot.
Speaker 2: You know, plot is the plot. Plot is the plot, and that is how they wrote the screenplay.
Speaker 3: There's a vampire at the beginning, and there's a vampire at the end. You know that's yeah, with.
Speaker 2: Some very skinny legs. Yeah, guy's got dang gobblers gobblers bottom. Check that out. Pause this real quick. You can't pause the movie in the theater, Honey, you got to see it again? Was that the only way they caught that? Any veterinarians in here that can back up my opinion? What is something that you think is underrated?
Speaker 3: Big pants? I want more of them, but wide leg, high waist, they're great. I'm so grateful as a millennial that the gen Z did transition us from the skinny pant era into now big pants. And they're beautiful. They're so much more comfortable. I'm wearing them every day. I look more and more like a clown and I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I look like I've been wearing wider pants too. Just it's funny because so I lost all my shit in a fire, and when I went to go stay with my mom, she's like, I found some of your old jeans that were like the shits I wore in like a whole college.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, tell me why I put these on?
Speaker 1: I look like the most fashionable motherfucker of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh shit, because they were baggy. Yeah, I was like, yeah, shoo Miles and put that.
Speaker 1: Oh you you might be gen z but I but then I'm fully I'm fully back in because I also had trouble just because you know, I got thick legs, so skinny jeans and I were never They didn't even make skinny jeans that could fit someone with my body type.
Speaker 2: So I was always like off that trend.
Speaker 1: But I'm glad now that collectively, youth cultures like, don't out yourself by being looking all old as ship with them tight ass jeans exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the youth said we should be able to breathe in the pants that.
Speaker 1: We Yeah yeah, I'm like, y'all think y'all know why two k you haven't seen the ship my mom keppt And I'm about to fucking stunt on all y'all time capsule.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, other generations have done less, you know, like that's that's pretty bring bringing back big pants I got. I gotta give it to them. Yeah, shut out to gen Z, what is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 3: Having an iPad not an eye pad? I said, twenty twenty five is my year on top of organization. My I, this iPad is going to change my life, right. I really needed that iPad to change my life in January twenty twenty five, and it didn't, so damn it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think we all could have used that iPad to change your life. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I let a lot of people down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: James carb will tell you do you can't start a seven string quarterback in the Super Bowl game hanging all your hopes on the iPad.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's I.
Speaker 1: Mean, wait, what did you think the iPad exactly would like? Because I recently got an iPad, But I had a very simple goal. It was like I want to do coloring books, and that's what I use it for for my own like mental health. But what did you I'm curious, like, because everybody imbuse like a sense of like this is going to be a game change, right.
Speaker 3: No, I had in my head that I was going to be a digital planner. Girly so I did like a bunch of shopping and like narrowing down. Okay, this is the digital planner that I want, And oh my gosh, how am I going to access it all the time. I'm always gonna have my iPad on me. Everything is. I got an Apple pencil. I was like, I'm writing on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you jumped in.
Speaker 3: I am putting paper pencil you in right, exactly exactly. And so yeah, I really thought, I really thought, just everything's going to be. Everything's going to change, productivity, schedule, efficiency, you know. Yeah, and it just it just sits on my couch yeah right.
Speaker 1: And it's just like a thing you scroll like social media with when you're watching.
Speaker 3: TV sometimes yeah, And most of the time I like start to do that and I'm like this is too big. I just want to my phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, What like does it do anything that phones don't other than, you know, indicate that someone is a boomer when they're taking a video with.
Speaker 1: This dude, when you're doing the two handed like I'm the video using a phone book to take a picture.
Speaker 2: Damn, this staarage is broke.
Speaker 3: God, Miles is really in a struggle.
Speaker 2: Sorry, somebody donated a chair to me an office chair.
Speaker 1: The fucking lumbar supports blew out off the back anyway, use my struggles and got my bar that can you know they support and your lumbar supports.
Speaker 2: Back in the obrection, they didn't know about this lumbar but yeah, well. Oh.
Speaker 1: The thing with the iPad though, is like Apple's just in this weird place where before it made like the iPad kind of made sense in their range of products, but now they do this. You We're like, let's go the M two processor like like personal computer level processing ability, but they hamstring it by not letting you run mac os on it because then they're like, well then mother Focus is not going buy MacBooks. So we got to keep this in this weird liminal space where it's like, not it's a phone kind of it is mostly a big ass phone because it's using iOS. That's just from my own like diving into iPad culture. I was like, yeah, right, like if you have a specific need, it works.
Speaker 2: Otherwise sometimes I got m Yeah, just himself. Yeah, fucking that guy. Every time he's back, you know, he's back already working with Trump. Oh yeah, they all they love it right in the line, they're not on the same planet as USA is.
Speaker 3: Tim Cook is Tim Cooking in a in a baggy black T shirt and a gold chain. The way is not yet.
Speaker 1: But with that ridiculous see that crazy ass watch he had on that people class that they're bid.
Speaker 2: Isn't like his video where he's like, I'm just like you, guys, nine hundred thousand dollars watch on the risk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like it's based off the Godfather or some ship.
Speaker 2: That watch. I think you weren't on Rogan. It was like another watch that has a hand in it that move whatever.
Speaker 3: They literally biological human.
Speaker 2: Family and they're turning exactly exactly. He's not fooling us with his midlife crisis. Chain real is using dark magic to entrap somebody's soul in hand so it operates your thing.
Speaker 3: I'm just like you and I want to say homophobic slurs at work also like that was that was the whole We've got a message.
Speaker 2: We've got to Facebook has been far too feminine for too long. Exactly. You know that there is a meeting that has happened. I don't know if Tim Cook was in it, but it's happened where people were like, how do we pivot Tim to be more relatable, like jealous of the Zuckerberg pivot. Oh you like in his own camp? Yeah, in his own camp, Like, how do we make Tim? How do we do that? How do we get Tim?
Speaker 3: We got to get the sphere.
Speaker 2: Perm Watch what if he did like he painted like one fingernail. Yeah, so he's a little bit wavy, you.
Speaker 3: Know, cartilage piercing, you know the upper ear.
Speaker 1: You know, so many people his age though, now just rock the one pierced ear. I was at like a very like older crowd LA. I was at a full disclosure. I was at the Smokehouse in Burbank. It's like a very la restaurant where the food is not good, but they have really good garlic bread and there's only three things on the menu that are worth eating.
Speaker 2: Anything else is an instant l But you really go there for you nobody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you get the prime rib or the salmon or just get that garlic bread and the shrimp cocktail. Don't get any I know there's other shit that looks up you know me, you do not get shit as garbage. But they have a bar where like this old timey dude does rock songs and shit and the crowd there is very much like Boomer elder gen X almost I'm not joking. Seventy percent of these dudes had like one earring in and it was just wild to see him, Like, Oh, this is how y'all stunt like in your in your latter days is like one ear He's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean. So you know, I think Trump's kind of fucked up too. Check it hearing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or like I used to rock this in the eighties and they said it was kind of weird.
Speaker 2: But now I don't give a shit. Now look at me. I'm retired. Well that sounds cool. Yeah, yeah, I've never totally understood the iPad. It is a thing that kids seem to gravitate towards. But yeah, it just seems like a big phone to me. So it's like, if I'm not trying to actively keep people off of a phone, I don't totally understand that.
Speaker 1: Like if you're an illustrator or whatever, I see that if you have like very purpose specific like it has its uses, but I think sure, now it's just like in this place, like it's so powerful it can be a computer, but Apple won't allow it to be a computer. So it's that's where your kind of value assessment begins to womb.
Speaker 2: And we hate a wobbly value assessment. Here on the yah, We've always nothing.
Speaker 1: Look, people thought I changed, but I didn't, y'all. I'm still here criticizing wobbly value assessments.
Speaker 2: Let's take a quick break. We'll be right back, and we're back. We're back. Hey, Hey. It feels like the Trump administration has created this rhythm where he does a thing everyone's like, that's essentially against the law. What he just did, Okay, and then yeah, so and then people keep like ask can he do that? Before we get an answer, he does the next thing that's against the law that we weren't ready for him to do yet, right, So I think the answer ends up being no, he can't do that, at least as of right now in a bunch of these cases. But I feel like we're moving on too quickly, and so he's like getting these like wins for him, like getting to like flex and act like he's doing things that like doing whatever he wants. But then it like the media isn't sticking around to be like, Okay, that actually got overturned and that actually is not legal in the federal judge said that like gave the speech from Happy Gilmore where he's like, you no points God your soul, Like, this is a This is a quote from a Ronald Reagan appointee temporarily blocking his order to end birthrate citizenship. This is a blatantly unconstitutional order. I have difficulty understanding how a member of the bar would state unequivocally that this is a constitutional order. It just boggles my mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's referencing the Trump lawyers, like the lawyers saying this, Like how could you be a licensed attorney and say this shit with a straight face?
Speaker 2: Uh? I think at the end of this like chain of cause and effect that is being started by these things that it does come down to like who gone check me boo? Who? Like, who's gonna stop him? And who's gonna check me v boo? And the answer is that I hear Ali, Like, Oh, the Supreme Court is eventually going to have to weigh in on this one. Probably. I'm a big fan of this podcast five to four, and it is, in addition to being educational and wildly entertaining make me laugh, has given me a severe lack of faith in the Supreme Court to do the right thing. So Rihann I just want to get your sense, as one of the hosts of that show, like how are you feeling as you were as you're witnessing these this first week and a half of attempted authoritarianism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sorry to throw like cold water on the whole idea that like the Supreme Court is the check, you know. And I think it's like if you if you think that, if you hear that, or we hear it so much that like you're not wrong to like think that because people say, like, you know, only the Supreme Court now can stand up to Trump, or you know, the Supreme courts can have a really interesting role under the creeping authoritarianism administration, you know. But like that's because like just like structurally, like the three branches of government, like the Supreme Court, like, yeah, it really doesn't do anything other than check the other branches. Like that is what the Supreme Court does. But so like structurally, you get why people like think that. At the same time, at the same time, y'all, we have to we have to be looking at the conservative project, the project of doing authoritarianism in the United States as the branch is working together to do that. And that includes the Supreme Court. Oh yeah, the Supreme Court while they could check Donald Trump, you know, granted him almost total immunity in office last term before he before he got elected. So yeah, we need to see and and with all of these cases that are about to be in front of the Supreme Court. You know, while there might be some tiki tak here and there where the Court says like, ah, that's a little bit too far out there in terms of the constitutional order, we have to have to have to view the Supreme Court as an institution that is in place right now and operating right now, as a green light for authoritarianism, not a check on authoritarianism, right.
Speaker 2: It kind of has been for a while. Yeah, like the first ones there, it just seems it seems weird to me that the first ones to get there to be like, yeah, this guy can do whatever the fuck he wants. Also, no more abortions, thanks, that's been our time. Are the ones that people are like, well, the Supreme Court's not gonna app surely this, surely this will be the line.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, well that god, I mean it's I was hoping, you know, I hadn't really checked the news in the last three weeks.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, they're gonna they'll figure it out. They'll figure it out.
Speaker 1: But then you have to zoom out and be like, Okay, so, yes, the Federalist Society has they've been taking their time saying, let's get our starters in there. You know, we got we got to revamp this whole roster, baby, if we want to start winning titles. And they've they've got they've got the pieces now to do that. And I think, yeah, I think it's just like even the last four years, where they'll be the things where they clearly come down on the side of the conservative movement, and then you get these occasional scraps that they throw out to make them seem they're like, we're not a completely politicized body.
Speaker 2: I mean we just did the.
Speaker 3: Bare minimum back right, right, And yeah, I think like people, I think it's like a real failure of legal media. Actually that for decades has has been like when when media, when you hear about these cases being decided, you hear about them like on just the legal terms, or you just hear or read about like Okay, well this is why the fucking freak ghoul Sam Alito said what he said, and this was the justification, and then there's never anything else that's like, oh, this is part of like a much big, bigger project. They've been doing this for a long time. Here's all the people who are going to be hurt by this, and here are all of the other here are all of the other like arguments or reasons why this is wrong. So yeah, I think like media in general and how we cover and talk about the Supreme Court is like a big reason for this. But I'm here to tell you, and we on five four say it all the time. You know, it's it's really important to understand these six hyper conservative freakazoids. It's really important to understand that they act like politicians. They are doing politics right, right, they are doing fascism right when they overturn Roe v. Wade when they say in three h three creative that you know, a woman doesn't have to make a wedding website for a gay couple, right, She.
Speaker 2: Doesn't even have to have a web design business to.
Speaker 3: Do it, or an actual gay couple that asked her to do to do the wedding website, right.
Speaker 2: Football coach who exactly.
Speaker 3: Exactly, So you have to see this institution as an institution that is also doing implementing fascism and authoritarianism, and that's what they're there to do, and they're happy to do it.
Speaker 2: You think, Leonard Leo, he's just kicking back. He's like, bro, they don't. Ain't nobody saying my biggest.
Speaker 3: Gatherer of the past twenty five years.
Speaker 2: They are winning. We do have to I feel like we got to admit, like, yeah, I feel like a big part of the media response to Trump and the authoritarian project of you know, the Supreme Court has been like they'll never get away with this, and like kind of like, look, how stupid they are to think that they can get away with this right before they like get away with it, you know, like that that response to be like this guy doesn't know what he's doing just feels like ultimately it doesn't matter. Even if he doesn't know what he's doing, it's working for him and them, and yes, they just keep winning because because the opponent doesn't realize they're playing like they I don't I don't know what to even say.
Speaker 3: Like they're they're being bold, right, like the right wing is being bold. Trump administration all these crazy, crazy executive orders. They're being bold and they're not checking themselves thinking, mm, is this illegal? I don't know they're doing it. It's like, you know, throw throw the spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks, right, And and so the Supreme Court to the extent that like, yeah, it checks them. We're we're so far like the overtam window is so so right, right, is so so conservative that yeah, if you're getting some kind of check on this stuff, well yeah, it's the it's tiny stuff compared to the in totality, how like our government is being transformed, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I feel like we're just like in the Like I was saying this on yesterday's show, it's just a lot of a lot of us are just sort of in denial that this actually like forget that country you grew up in twenty years ago, Like that.
Speaker 2: Shit is that shit that that order, that old order completely gone, completely gone.
Speaker 1: And that is not coming back for I don't know if it's going to come back in our lifetime. Even so, it's much much more empowering to understand the assignment and say no, this is this is what's happening right now, and.
Speaker 2: Where where's my part in all of this.
Speaker 1: And I say, you got to be out there in the street and shit like that, like doing all kinds of wild shit, but understanding that this is something more people need to put their attention on, because they are they are fucking at the wheel and they are we were, We've already gone through a few walls, and we're about to keep hitting more walls this week though there's even more stuff that the Supreme more.
Speaker 2: Business in front of the week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was, and I obviously wanted to get your take on this because one of them is very obvious to me how problematic it is and awful and backwards, and then the other two I'm like, I feel like there's a little nuance that you can probably we help flesh out.
Speaker 3: For us in religious freedom stuff.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, right.
Speaker 1: So the first one is regarding government funding of Catholic charter schools before they could get vouchers, which was only doing like a little bit of pain a little bit of funding. Now we're talking about full blown. The feds are now paying for.
Speaker 2: Full blown Jesus schools.
Speaker 1: I was like, Okay, that feels like that feels that feels like it's butting up against the First Amendment and what I know about religion and the federal government, so that one seems pretty obvious that that could open the floodgates of all kinds of backwards teaching and weird schools suddenly getting the funding to teach whatever they want to.
Speaker 2: Another one feels is they like getting in under Catholic because like people are like, I've heard of Catholic schools. Those can't be so bad. Like, so we'll allow they're weird. They are weird, but they have a long history. I just feel like, as opposed to if it was like my mom's special version of Christianity that she invented, right schools, you know what I mean. I wonder why they went Catholic just to I think, look, I think they just knew. They're like, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter because at the end of the day, it's more just about being like, yeah, well, whatever y'all do, you'll do in Jesus teachings, here's some money teach on. Another one deals with parents being able to opt out of curriculum where they're being like, well, if if they have LGBTQ plus characters or concepts, I do not want my I want my child to be as ignorant as possible and to be made fun of infinitely in their adulthood, So I would like them to I would like to hide reality from them as much as possible. That one, it seems like basically I don't know, probably, can you kind of walk us through. It feels like probably at that point we're completely upending where the power dynamic is and how children are taught to just be like, well, if enough parents want to opt out, then you might have to change the whole curriculum, or maybe you don't send kids to that school.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, these are both pretty crazy cases. Crazy again, like this goes back to exactly what I was just saying, where the Overton window has shipped. It's so far right. These are pretty out there in terms of like conservative arguments, like the lower courts and precedent over decades, is pretty clear that both of these cases, like the state directly funding religious schools, that's like unheard of, right, and then the same thing was like opting out of public school curriculum. Both of these cases obviously come under their First Amendment, like freedom of religion. I just want to like, I just want to differentiate between the two, So the government funding public schools, that would be under what's called the establishment clause of the First Amendment that says, like, the state can't make a law that respects a certain establishment of religion. Right, that's the separation of church and state. That is the clause in the First Amendment. The second one, where parents are trying to have their kids opt out of mandatory curriculum in public schools, that's the free exercise clause. Right, the government can't infringe on your individual free exercise of your faith. Parents are saying, well, when my kids have to go to story time in the library at the public school, and story time features a book they're getting read a book about being trans child, right, about about a mom making a rainbow wig for her trans child or for a kid walking around pride, Well, that that infringes on the free exercise of my religion. Like you said, Miles, like both of these cases are really really crazy. The justices, you know, coming down in the way that the conservatives want them to really upends like a lot of how we think of the First Amendment, like working right, and I think in terms of like choosing like, oh, which one would be more impactful than the other. I think it's really important to like see again all of these cases. You know, there's also, uh, there's also a case about like tax exemptions for religious organizations that's coming up at the Supreme Court. Look at them all as part of the project, right, just like the executive orders, right, Trump is doing that, He's doing it at a different pace, right, which there's a different strategy behind. But you see in the totality of the executive orders a fascist project, an authoritarian project. We should be viewing Supreme Court cases in the same way, particularly because the Supreme Court decides what cases it takes, decides what cases that they have total control over, the cases that are going to be argued in front of them, and what they want to be deciding and changing the law on every single term. Right, So in the totality of these cases, the First Amendment and the freedom of religion, separation of Church and State cases at the Supreme Court, this term, you see, you see a project, and you see what the right is focused on.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: You see what they're going to be trying to weaponize in the law in you know, the next couple of dedays, GIDS and here it's going to be the First Amendment. Here, it's going to be saying, you know, gay people, existing stories being told, queer people being around me, or books that my children read that include queer characters, that's actually an infringement on my civil liberties. Right. That is, that is fascistic. Right. That is that all of this is about creating in and out groups a scary other right that we can all put our problems on and our violence on. And so again, you see the Supreme Court doing this work for a fascist movement in the same way that we can like clearly see that Trump as an individual is doing that work as well. You know, Yeah, I feel really I feel like it's so doomsday. I'm really sorry you guys, but we got to be clear sighted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we gotta be Yeah, we gotta keep our eyes open and like understand what is happening, because especially now that I just I feel like the the mainstream response is really having a hard time like getting its mind around what is happening and like seeing it for what it is. Like, Yeah, it really feels like there is this big fascist project. Like it's interesting because I feel like my understanding of fascism historically was they had big a lot of bureaucracy and like you know, they trains ran on time. Thing was like a big bragging point this yeah, and this time it seems to be like they're just breaking everything and then use it. When the thing breaks, they're like, oh, that's because people were too nice to gay people and black people, and so like it's got like kind of a new look fascism where like they're incompetence and they're tearing down of everything allows for them to like make an argument for the continued privatization of every everything and like the takeover by monopolies and oligarchs and exactly. Yeah, yeah, but the but why is the media? Like it just it feels like the media was operating under these very specific sets of rules of like well, we can't call this out because then it's too seems like we're being too biased or something, and so they just they learned whatever the media's like playbook is of like what they will tolerate, what they won't, and just like yeah, now they know exactly how to work inside this system. And yeah, the media like doesn't know how to just be like this is what's happening. This is clearly what's happening. They're successfully dismantling civilization like as we knew it. And yeah, because I guess because the media has been pretty complicit in that for so long in other ways that like that they're not willing to call it out now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think there's like a few things in the media question, But I do you think, like the media question is such a massive, such a massive like contributing factor to to the problems is that, like there's so much misinformation. There's also too much information and the media is approaching I think both of those categories in both like dropping the ball in fucked up ways in terms of too much information. For example, the media, Yes, like journalists have a role in interpreting and explaining every executive order to us, right, Like I appreciate the people who are doing that, but again, what we fail to do when we're like, okay, let's break down every executive order is we're missing the forest for the trees and we and we don't see that like bigger project, right yea, and we end up getting we end up all of us feeling siloed in like what you do because it's like, oh, well that's a lot. And then the way you fight that is a legal case, and that's a you know, that's a policy at the EPA or whatever, you know, And so the folks there are going to fight it this way. And then but when we see it as a project, we really like, you know, you start to see, uh, you start to see your role, even as somebody who you know might be disconnected, you start to see a role for collective power. The media is captured, a captured institution in the same way the Supreme Court is. I think that's a really big problem. Right, So when we're talking about you said oligarchy, I think that's really right. We live now in an oligarchy that Trump is making like very clear to everybody, Like we know who the oligarchs are, right, Like, they're right in front of us doing Nazi salutes and stuff.
Speaker 2: So I don't know wherred to, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so and it's those oligarchs that like control the media, right like they're you know, Jeff Bezos is putting his thumb down on the scale at the on the Washington Post editorial board, right. Uh, this is happening. This is happening everywhere, especially across like corporate legacy media. And then yeah, what you get is the conflicts of interest. What you get is really muddied political analysis. You know, writers and journalists like going to the top, who who haven't they're being rewarded for not right talking in critical ways about about what's happening and so yeah, I mean from our corner of things over on five to four, we talk a lot about how legal media specifically has really failed the public for for a really long time. And a lot of that is based on, like, yeah, advancing in your job and relationships, right. A lot of the top like legal Supreme court reporters, they have relationships. They like to be able to uh talk directly to the justices, right, and so if you put in your column that that so and so justice is, uh you know, is receiving gifts from billionaires who have cases in front of him at that time, well you lose your access. You don't have your wine.
Speaker 4: Buddy, Oh why didn't you go work for pro public? Gout? We're here to do fluff pieces. Okay, Oh my god. That the decorations though it Alito's home.
Speaker 2: Wonderful, wonderful. I mean, we've all thought about what we would do if we were burdened by that much wealth. Obviously you buy historical stuff. And yes, sometimes fascists owned it. Okay, yeahka solicitly Nazi.
Speaker 3: It's historical. Can't you see.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm just this. This flags about an appeal to heaven. Okay, take what? Just take that.
Speaker 1: What's so wrong with having an appeal to heaven? Don't add your other stuff to it? Just saying anyway, you're right.
Speaker 2: And my heaven is the one from My Blue Heaven with Steve Barton and Rick Miranda, So do try your head out of the gutter. Huh. Cool, All right, let's let's take a quick break. We will be right back to talk about gobblers not and we're back. We're back, and let's look at let's look at some stupid bullshit news shallow whoa, Just take a this is pretty it is pretty consequential. That's maybe the stuff that shocked about in the last act. Maybe you can characterize that stuff. But this is this magic. Zoom out to see the larger project. Please please, They're controlling the fucking weather, jack, I don't know if you don't you know that the fucking groundhogs control the weather. Okay, yeah, I knew, I knew things had changed from some of the articles you were forordering me when you were out, But I didn't know about the punks of Tawny Phil et Bock Times. Dude, some real interesting stuff in there. Yeah. So over the weekend, the Sunday was ground hugg Day. Groundhogs is a groundhog or groundhog hog?
Speaker 3: Does it belong to the groundhog? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it should. I think we should give it back if it doesn't. Thank you. The big hero punks a Tawny Phil that he is like kind of the ball drop of groundhog Day. You know, he's like the the central symbol icon of groundhog Day. We all know it from the Bill Murray movie predicted unfortunately, there will be six more weeks of winter. And our writer JM did the hard work of actually watching the ceremony and it is weird as fuck. I was then sucked into watching it as well. Apparently his decision what's that? I said? How weird is it? So his decision is communicated in groundhog language to the Groundhog Club's president, who can translate thanks to his presidential cane. So there's like a magical cane. There's the groundhog is talking to him like he picks a screen role. That is like written the way like in a like limerick. One scroll says early spring, the other scroll said six more weeks of winter, right, yes, and it's it's also also this group is known as the Inner Circle. I was just reading that from the Wikipedia page. They dress like barrens of industry from the late eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 1: Like still this is the actually, yeah, this is like the darkest shit I've ever seen now that I look at it, Like this, Mike and they and it's also like that fake, like cold type shit. We're like, honestly, we're the only ones that can communicate with the groundhop. Yes, so you don't have to believe what we say.
Speaker 3: There's just one channel, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also, it was like a record sized crowd at Gobblers not in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: Were lifting him. Sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, they go into a hutch that's like carved to the side of a tree trunk, and apparently the ground hug is like get the fuck away for me, because it takes them like five minutes to get a hold of the ground hug. They're just in there like they're like come on, phrantically reaching around, come on, fuck all right, he holds it up the ground Hug is fucking terrified, scratching his face. Yeah, and then yeah the ground Hug whispers in his ear which scroll to pick and I'm just a little concerned for the first time during the course of doing this job. Now, okay, guys, this is the this concerns me that we're seeing in the twenty twenty five record sized crowds for this event. I just to everyone to see the rat fortune teller? Do we see the rat fortune teller? Just feels like, obviously we're seeing things slide backwards everywhere else, But like, is it that bad that our national shared consciousness is like tell us rat, tell us what what have to tell us? Please?
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, I can see like half of it being like oh and the other part being like me, if you're like man, the only ship that's real anymore is going out to Gobbler's Knob with the homies, just being with the homies, yeah, and yelling at a rat for community.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean children crave ad. This is something that I did, determined that my children crave communes over because like we did a like a cub scout camping trip that ended up like being too cold to camp, so we just like stayed in a house with a bunch of other families, and like my kids like still talk about just like played board games. My kids are still like, man, that was fucking awesome. I'm like, that was just a commune. We were just lived in a commune for a night. Yeah. Yeah, But I've been reading about these dad, Let's start one. Let's start one. They got some interesting ideas. They do a lot of interesting ideas. Catholic arder schools, here we come. But yeah, I'm just wondering. I think there's obviously the need for community that is being ripped out in all these other places of our lives. But also I do just wonder, like, is our desire to believe in magic just go following our institutions slide backward into the Middle Ages? Or is our belief in magic making it possible for our institutions to slide backward?
Speaker 3: A little chicken the egg. Yeah, there's I think. I think Porque Nolo's does.
Speaker 2: You know I think things.
Speaker 3: I think these things are in block step with one another, for sure. I also think, you know, you see this like across social media. For sure, there's a little bit of like, you know that the the yearning for nostalgia, you know, like like, let's do something that I used to do and think about when I was eight years old, you know, like, yeah, I think there's lins like oh, look at that weird rodent. You know, when I was eight, I really thought about if this rat could see its shadow? You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I was when I was eight, I had no idea what creeping fascism was.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: That's that I have student loans either, you know what I mean? That was actually a good time. Where were you in ninety two.
Speaker 3: Exactly? So yeah, people are yearning a little bit for for the magic. I think the magic of the fuzzy rat.
Speaker 2: Believe it. Yeah, it's little. I mean it has like Santa Claus where it's like, yeah, he whispered in my ear.
Speaker 3: Yeah too fairy yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There's a guy in the crowd who you can hear scream we want spring.
Speaker 3: Only avenue where he can where he can express ye desires.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, men will go to punk satany phil ceremony instead of therapy. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it will say and will y'all scream things like we want spring rather than I want to forgive my father?
Speaker 2: Right? You know, it's a little bit more complex, but we'll start there. Yeah, we want spring.
Speaker 1: Huh, what's your dad's name, guys, anybody, it's not related, but coincidentally, my dad's name is also Phil.
Speaker 2: And then ber send the tears, yes, okaya, tell tell Phil, tell them in groundhoggies right now? Okay, Well, Ran, And it's been such a pleasure having you as always on the daily geist where some people Where can people find you? Follow you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm on social media at au Rhannon that's a y w A, but for sure follow us on social at five four pod all spelled out five to four like the numbers, but but spelled out and you can hit us up patriot, patreon dot com, slash five four pod if you want to subscribe. And then what one more thing I got a promo is that I'm on a new podcast about Palestine, about the struggle for Palestinian liberation from here in the far diaspora that is called Popular Cradle.
Speaker 2: You can uh.
Speaker 3: Follow us on Instagram and start listening YouTube wherever you listen to podcasts. Popular Cradle amazing.
Speaker 2: Go check it out. And is there a work of media that you've been enjoying?
Speaker 3: You know, I was never big on TikTok until uh, you know, the controversy, and so now I've been scrolling TikTok and yesterday came across a video of goats in like you know Central East Asia, I mean Central Asia, like a like a you know Himalayas, These like real winter guys, these real snow mountain guys. But it's they not like us. In the background, it's just the goats like jumping around bom boom boom bob bab type of shit. I'm on, you wouldn't understand, Like it's so good.
Speaker 2: It's it's so so good, understand.
Speaker 3: So I'm sorry for the intensity y'all all your listeners right well, sorry if you live in a time of fascism, but goats, you know boats, goats.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. Amazing. Miles Where can people find you as their working media you've been enjoying. I'm still on social look, I haven't been checking because I have a bit on my plate outside of this, so I'm not quite checking the mentions yet, but I will be soon enough. But shout out to everybody that's reached out. Find me at Miles of Gray wherever they serve at symbols, you can also find jacking on the basketball podcast Miles of jackob at BOOSTI, and very soon for twenty Day Fiance will be back where I talk about ninety Day Fiance. I just as again, I just gotta gotta I gotta tick a few boxes in the old personal life before I'm able to fully fully get back to, you know, doing this podcasting thing at full speed.
Speaker 1: I don't, incidentally, I don't have a work of social media that I've been enjoying. I did watch the second season of The Diplomat, which was wild.
Speaker 2: This is so fun.
Speaker 1: This is a show like hermssion I watching right before the house burned down, and then like we kind of like we were like putting on TV like log in and Netflix, like you want to continue watching this? And I'm like, it's so weird. How like the cloud is like, well wait, we cannot be destroyed. You want to pick up on episode four of The Diplomat just a very low friend people like to show.
Speaker 2: I like this season not great. I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: The steaks are very all over the place, and I'm like, okay, full this is way too convenient lazy writing anyway, Uh find that that's it?
Speaker 2: Yea, like a disorganized steakhouse. The stakes are way too all over the place. Yeah, you know what I mean. Thanks, Anyways, like it would be a steakhouse on a on a cruise ship and there we go, turbulent waters. All right, let's get into a place where it's worth saying, yeah, you sai to clean that up. Type of media I've been enjoying. Uh, you wouldn't understand there it is. Type of media or the media I've been enjoying. Beyond that steakhouse joke was just all the Luka doncic stuff was was great clips of people reading, like reading the news and just being unwilling to believe it for five minutes now, like a person being like, no, I think it's real, and the other people on the podcast being like, dude, that's so stupid treating him. Yeah. But my favorite tweet was probably from Kenny Doocey, who somebody named Lenny on Twitter tweeted they threw Jalen Hood Shaffino in the trade like some Parsley and Kenny Doozy just retweeted Action Bronson's face saying that because it sounds so much like that, such a good chip, but really they should give that up to ghost Space. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no Action Bronzing without ghost Space. And that's me being a forty year old hip hop head. But either way, thank you respect to Action brods Into.
Speaker 2: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brian and on Blue Sky at Jack ob the Number One. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeitgeist, where at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page on a website, Daily zeitgeist dot com, where we post our episodes and our foot notes. We link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles, is there a song that you think the people might enjoy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been as part of the going through some of my old things at my mom's house. I found this old Jadilla vinyl that I listened to a lot called J Delicious The Delicious Vinyl Years, which is a must have album for the for the Dilla fans out there. But there's specifically I was listening to the instrumental of the of the remix of.
Speaker 2: The track sometimes, so this is the sometimes.
Speaker 1: Remix instrumental, and this is a track that have the brand new Heavies on it and Q tip uh.
Speaker 2: The track is cool too with with.
Speaker 1: The vocals on it, but sometimes I just like playing Dilla beats just as in.
Speaker 2: The background because they're great.
Speaker 1: So anyway, check this out. Sometimes remix instrumental Jay.
Speaker 2: Dillon and that will be in the footnotes. Dailey's I Guess the production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app Apple podcast wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's gonna do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending and we will talk to you all then bye, goodbye, bye bye bye