Speaker 1: You're listening to the Miami Dolphins Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 3: Back to throw to a looking clips about a wide Dolphin touchdown.
Speaker 1: Tyrick cal uncolievable, just blue by it for a second time.
Speaker 3: Don't know where he was going right away.
Speaker 4: I want to hit that man.
Speaker 5: I'm going to help you.
Speaker 3: Someone will up on his man away Wattle, Wattle to a shotgun, back to throw, looking at them up myers touchdown. It's Waddle his sixth touchdown, pat of the team.
Speaker 2: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins.
Speaker 5: Now let me check your pulse if you're not for.
Speaker 1: What is up?
Speaker 2: Golf fans and welcome to the Drive Time podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast Network, covering your team, your Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 3: How's it going everybody?
Speaker 2: I am your host, Travis Wingfield And on today's show, Miami Dolphins football practice is back.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 2: The twenty twenty three campaign is kind of underway. We'll hear from head coach Mike McDaniel. We're gonna hear from Christian Wilkins, Jalen Waddle. We're gonna hear from Jeff Wilson and Austin Jackson and we'll detail the practice in the events on the practice field like only you can get here on the Draft Time Podcast from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 3: This is the Draft Time.
Speaker 2: Podcast, Maye Geff first, So we are going to weave coach and players sound bites into the podcast here, but I think it's worth starting off with a little bit of housekeeping, and we do that off the top here with coach McDaniel answering a question on Tuesday Mornings media availability about two players in the defensive backfield who have been very productive here in the Aquaan Orange, both coming off unfortunate season ending injuries in twenty twenty two. Let's kick off the podcast here with how coach kicked off his presser well after he praised both the Miami Heat and the Florida Panthers, noting their ability to do what a lot of folks didn't think they could do as eight seeds here in this postseason. But coach was asked about the progress of Brandon Jones and Nick Needham.
Speaker 6: I see Brandon Nick every day. When I say diligent, that's what their days are.
Speaker 5: So they are.
Speaker 6: I feel good about where they're at right now? What does that mean down the road. I try not to get consumed with like, all right, you're gonna be ready now, so that you're wearing that anxiety, like we just want to stay on schedule and or ahead. And all reports have been just that because of the way that our medical staff goes about their business and the way they attack their their their whole rehabs.
Speaker 5: So I'm excited about them.
Speaker 2: So I thought that was great to hear about two players who are going to be important cogs in this year's team and their progress back from injuries a season ago. Next another player back from injury is Trio Williams, and the question was posed a coach about a potential position change for him to the safety spot, and he kind of had fun with the question but ultimately gave us this answer about the power of being cross trained and being versatile on defense, especially when trying to learn a new system.
Speaker 5: This is the off season. There's a lot of power.
Speaker 6: For players, specifically when you're learning a new system like our our defense is currently learning to be able to have versatility as always powerful when you're when you're talking about being an NFL player and there's no better way to understand your responsibility within that said structure of a defense than understand what other contributors and how there issues apply to your issues. And that cross training stuff will always be a part, and it certainly for a couple individuals on our defense something that we're trying to attack with that versatility.
Speaker 5: So move.
Speaker 6: If you're reporting it to our opponents, you can say we're moving guys left and right, but for you know, in house, a safe place for you guys.
Speaker 5: It's just versatility is a good thing.
Speaker 2: And then we get out to the practice field and as South Florida is wont to do, the heavens opened up and gave us. Calling it a shower would be understating it a little bit.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was a nice little downpour there for about twenty minutes, but fortunately it only lasted those twenty minutes before the sun came out and dried up all the rain. And the itsy bitsy Spider the Miami Dolphins came out for a football practice to get some playtime in like the spider did himself. But how it goes down here, you get a downpour of rain all of a sudden, the greens dry out in about thirty minutes and you're back to normal green speeds. Enough golf talk. Look, there's there's never a ton to look at during warm ups or IND's and that type of stuff, especially during OTAs in the month of May. Real football doesn't start until, you know what, four months away from now. But I do think it helps create the comprehensive field that I'm going for here on the podcast. And this all tracks with something that coach said at his press conference, and it's an annual thing, Austin Clark having an infectious energy that reverberates throughout his defensive line group and then audibly reverberates throughout the Baptist Health Training Complex, which has coincided with quite frankly, some of the best defensive line play in the National Football League the last few years under his watch. I mean, you don't wind up being a guy that has stuck through you know it for all intents and purposes to coaching staff changes. When you think about going from you know, twenty twenty one to last season to now a new coach on defense, You've essentially had three different coaches on defense the last three years.
Speaker 3: And he's still here.
Speaker 2: He's still kicking because his unit performs year in and year out, and sure enough, early on you hear Coach Clark got there imploring his guys to bring the f and juice. And wouldn't you know it, just seconds after that, I look over and Randy Charlton, the rookie out of Mississippi State, breaks the sled. Coach, I broke it into your toy. We'll have an injury update for you guys on the sled. On a later podcast, I think it was questionable to return for the day. Didn't see it come back out. But back to coach McDaniel, here's what he said when asked about Isaiah Win, that acquisition, acquisition, acquisition and how it might what it means to the rest of the players on the offensive line, notably you know in Austin Jackson at right tackle where Wyinn has played in the past, Aleah Meikenberg left guard, where Wynn has played in the past. Here's coach talking about the Win acquisition, and I think there was some cedric a way he kind of tilted into this as well, about the theme of competition you're going to see all summer long here in South Florida.
Speaker 6: It's like everything else, we're a product of our environment. And when guys are going wait about things the right way and have experience playing at a high level in the in the NFL, that it raises the urgency, it raises the competitiveness, and overall helps every player involved as long as people are working together, which you know all of our Georgia Bulldogs are good teammates.
Speaker 5: So uh, the he's been awesome.
Speaker 6: He's uh, he's getting work at several spots and has the opportunity, uh to win some playing time at several spots. But it's also you know, there's only five players that play uh each down, and overall, I know the collection of the offensive line is best served in this current Envin, who those people are? You know that that goes against I don't do the magnet slotting, you know.
Speaker 5: I let people.
Speaker 6: In situations, whether they're performing their lifelong dream of a job, decide their own fate. So just throw a bunch of guys in that fit the bill, and uh, I think the Dolphins are best served waiting to see who tells us it's gonna be a starter or backup or whatever.
Speaker 2: And Mike, we'll mention here soon, you know, know, Toron Armstad no Connor Williams. You're gonna get plenty of work for those guys, and guys like Kendall Lamb. You know, they've got some playing time last year, Jon Christians and there's there's all kinds of players in this offensive line. They're gonna have a chance to really prove themselves here for a coaching staff that traditionally, you know, going back to San Francisco, has found a way to get more out of the sum of the parts than I guess you might see individually there. You know, looking at just the Niners lie couple of years for instance, you know last year in particular, they really played the level that was above board for what they're they're typically I should say, their skill set would suggest I think you can get some of that here with the Miami Dolphins, especially as you get more and more into the system, identify guys that fit that system and fit the environment. Like coach talks about, there so interesting stuff there. Then we staw have practice. You know, last year it was a lot of days that were I guess dominated by the offense, and you certainly had you know, your trading of victories, but most days it did seem like the Dolphins passing attack was the one that would do the damage, and that bared out over the season, right, I mean, that's not even up for debate.
Speaker 3: And this is you know, an.
Speaker 2: Hour of football in the month of May, largely seven on seven. So let's go ahead and make sure we put a disclaimer on all of this to not go overboard one way or the other. The job is report on what we see and that's what we're doing here.
Speaker 3: Sound good.
Speaker 2: So during the first portion of practice, I thought the defense really really showed the work they've been putting it in terms of getting this defense down, getting coach Fangio's system, you know, second nature. I thought, passing off in coverage, identifying the correct spots to double team, and filling the voids, replacing those vacancies with you know, rotation, the communication on the back end, it all looked really good to me and it resulted in some coverage sacks or the quarterback you know, Patt and the ball and fleeing latterly to find offscript action that you have to in this type of practice environment, you have to assimilate that where you can't get live bullets, you have to just say okay, plays over. You got the sack, but continue it and let's get the work in. Anyways, and we I mean I saw them, you know, number nineteen, last year's playoff starter, Scytt Thompson many times not have a chance to throw the football because he could identify who was open against this defense. And it wasn't that way always, but against that particular quarterback, they really kind of had him, you know, a little bit confused back there. But there's two parts of this that I want to cover. First, the sound from McDaniel when he was asked about Andrew Van Ginkle's role and coach describes the value of cross training players. You know, he mentioned it there a little bit with Isaiah Winn. But here are you guys talking about the scheme becoming more second nature and getting to know a new system by cross training because the best way to do it.
Speaker 3: Well, here's what coach has to say.
Speaker 6: I know, from an offensive perspective or an offensive standpoint, when you have a edge player.
Speaker 5: That will in packages.
Speaker 6: Or maybe a game or maybe no games, have the ability to play off the ball backer that in terms of identification for how you pick up protections and those things are very important.
Speaker 5: Not to mention the fact that you can.
Speaker 6: You know, position flexibility allows you to have an extra human being at each position on game day, you know, a little two for one er.
Speaker 5: So I think.
Speaker 6: On top of just understanding all of the defense, it's instrumental because because you know, every piece of the puzzle has to cover at some point, and then understanding rush patterns and all those things. It's just it's beneficial to a guy that we thought that led by Vic and really just our entire defensive staff thought that he was at the point of his career where he could handle that, and that's it's advantageous for us, tough for the opponent. So sounds like a win full circle.
Speaker 2: It's just funny how it goes in this job sometimes because I didn't plan for it to work out this way. It just kind of did you know? Coach says that. And then my first note, my very first takeaway from practice twenty twenty three was how smooth the defense looks now. Christian Wilkins to move to the defensive line reminds us that it's early and they're still working to.
Speaker 3: Get it all down.
Speaker 1: We got some good stuff, and we got some good players on the defense, you know, just we got to continue to just grind every day, learn it, pick it up as fast as we can our way. Come Minnie Camp, Come training camp. We're just find around playing fast, not really thinking. We're also really learning this, so you know there's got to be mistakes in that, but you know, guys still working hard to get it right and playing and playing the busts off. So I would you love to see that.
Speaker 2: We'll hear more from Christian here. Shortly he gave us plenty of good content. There are chew on and just talking. You know, the way he articulates the game and his approach, it's always so fascinating. I mean, I know stuff about Christian in terms of his approach and just the fact that the guy like won't even go out to eat a meal because he wants to be on his regiment, on his schedule. It's it's so impressive to watch that guy work and the way he's become, you know, a good prospect and a first round pick to now one of the best defensive tackles in the National Football League. I want to pivot next here to the guys that Christian chases the quarterbacks, although it doesn't chase our guys because you know, red Jersey don't do that. But we heard Mike McDaniel talk about to a tongue of bat Loa's off season, what his approach was, to the judo, to the jiu jitsu, all the stuff that we talked about, and frankly, I'm tired of that subject. It was a subject again today in McDaniel's press conference. But I thought this sound by talking about to was intent and the way he went about basically, you know what, let's just go ahead and hear from coach on how impressed he was by his quarterback this offseason.
Speaker 6: I've seen a guy that's followed through with his words as well as any young young man I've ever I've come across in my career.
Speaker 5: He's he.
Speaker 6: Controlling the controllable is something that I would epitomize his off season with h you want to talk about, you know, going above and beyond, you know, training martial arts so much so that he knew the training before he knew what it was called. He's I think he's called it judo and jiu jitsu is what he was doing. But that in terms of helping him progress in his career has been phenomenal. The the work that they that he's done this off season. It was so obviously beneficial that we've incorporated it into some of our drill work that we'll do with the quarterbacks too. You know, I think it was Teddy Bridgewater made this point to me last year. As a quarterback, you go September starts and then you get tackled, and then you get tackled for six months and then you don't again until September. So how can we help train, you know, quarterbacks to stay healthy Because it wasn't just too it how do you stay healthy in this game and stay available? And that's something that that whole off season training has really helped us try to take it good step in the right direction for how to best prepare players for NFL season.
Speaker 2: And frankly, the reason I wanted to play this, you know, I thought in one practice session you could see a bit of emphasis on playing a little bit faster, getting the ball out a little bit quicker. And that sounds crazy, right, because this is a guy who, among quarterbacks who qualified in terms of past attempts for this stat last year, got the football out faster than anybody else. But on the plays when it's not there, those are the plays that he got injured on right, held the ball for over three three and a half four seconds when read one to get to the backside read three and four. Those are all covered up and you have to extend from there. There are chances and opportunities to do that, and understanding in the clock in the back of your head when you can do that stuff. But when you're in the pocket hunting for plays and they're just not there, be a little more decisive and find the checkdown options. We saw that in this practice on Tuesday, two instances where he just ate the incompleation, just threw the football into the ground at the feet of one of his checkdown options. Move on to the next play. And I think about it this way because this offense is so dangerous, so explosive. Right, It works a lot like how you hear scouts break down a quarterback like Josh Allen, for instance, when he was coming out of Wyoming, it was, you know, marvel at his physical traits, find a way to increase that completion percentage, and we could start talking about his long term progress as a quarterback. But you're more willing to live with the occasional misfire or miss layup because you have such a penchant for explosives, you'll take a couple more strikeouts in exchange for driving the ball to the gap and over the fence to get extra base hits, you know, opposed to just trying to put wood on the baseball and hope to leg out an infield single. Like we're not trying to, you know, have an ops of six hundred. We're not drive the ball to the gaps and have a nine hundred OPS and really impact the game that way. Right, So we missed the occasional opportunity to run around and hit a positive play. To me, the upshot is far fewer hits in your quarterback. And when this quarterback plays in this offense, it's one of the best offenses in the NFL. And we have a team that can go eight to three over a games and really eight to no because the other three games he didn't play. And knowing that you have that opportunity with last year as proof that third and long is hardly an improbable conversion opportunity, right, It's more probable than it is improbable. And that's the tradeoff I think we would all take as fans for this team, right is ground the ball on first and second down when it's not there and live to fight another day, because if we have you in the lineup, anything is possible. Kevin Garnett. So with Tua, I saw decisiveness in what he was doing in this practice. He had the usual multiple intermediate rips for chunk gains finding, waddle finding, Smyth, Wilson Azukama, but he also peppered the backs and tight ends in the short game and the checkdown game before trouble got there. And the innate ability to recognize when it's going to happen quickly and to get the ball out fast is going to pay major dividends for this quarterback. I thought Tua and Mike White really showed their mastery of the craft during the on air throwing session. And yeah, it's on air, but if you know what you're watching, you can always find stuff in football to put it that way, but placement and timing was on the money.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I thought two was best throw of the day was in the team period, moving to his left and a little play action boot with Azukama being tightly covered coming across the field with him and Tua just layers this touch pass on the over out to the upfield shoulder, and it led Azu Kama into a big catch and run. And I think about how that can compliment Tyreek and Jalen removing the top of the defense, removing the particular perimeter part of the defense for that over route from the opposite side of the field, if you can get Azu Kama, Cedric Wilson going in that area of the football field with Devon Ahcha in the checkdown game like good luck man.
Speaker 3: So a good start there.
Speaker 2: Despite some of those early coverage sacks, the defense got some more production, including a Javon Holland interception where he got some depth, drove out of the back pedal, stepped in front of a Mike White pass and picked it off and maybe ran it back for six the other way. Tough to call beyond the whistle, but some good stuff there. Let's go ahead and pause for our first break right there, and come back on the other side and tell you about who else popped in this practice, including a pair of rookies who I thought shined super bright. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation.
Speaker 1: Shoes Man Brother can go I don't leave right there, so stay tuned you will see him display amen.
Speaker 6: That is.
Speaker 2: Dolphins running back Jeff Wilsone asked about rookie Devon a Chain and whether it was the pass game, the running game, a chain making plays, Babey, he had a run that I thought maybe went the distance thanks to a really good block from Eric Saubert. He caught everything he was tough to cover in those one on one in a phone booth situations. You know, quick breakdown, break it off right, left, and leave the defender in your dust. He displayed that same smooth rout tree we saw him run in college. You know, choice sprouts, texas sprouts inside outside verticals. Whatever the case may be super impressive. First day here for Devon a Chain, not the first day, but the first day we got to see him. I just thought he was impressive man, whether it was you know, hitting big runs or making big plays in the passing game. I lost count. I had him down for three blows the plays, and I think I saw two more. Might have been one more. So he was either four or five I'm not sure, but four or five big plays in one hour long practice session.
Speaker 3: As pray good, pray good, as.
Speaker 2: For the other running backs, I thought Raheem Moster looked smooth again today. Jeff Wilson had a nice couple of runs inside. On balance, I thought the running offense had the better day between run offense and run defense. I thought pass defense had the better day. Between pass defense and pass offense. Raheem and that innate ability to get skinny through the gap without without decelerating, I think he's a little bit too slept on. Just from a national perspective, He's a damn good player at the receiver position. I thought Cedric Wilson and Eric Azukama showed you what they're all about in terms of how they can compliment this roster in that position group. And then Braxon Barrios got in on the action late. More on him in just a moment. But with Cedric Wilson, he was playing fast, he was playing confident. I just thought he looked smoother than he did a season ago. And best of all, the hands looked smooth and natural. We saw him catch that little you know, wheel round again the bills and the snow and make a great play on that football. You know, Tua Love's finding those quick closing windows, and he was Pep Bringham today. But there was one particular throw that wasn't two his best. And I love how, you know, a bad ball from Tua is still a completion other quarterbacks that gets picked off. This quarterback throws a bad ball and it's caught. It speaks to his accuracy. It's like when a golfer, you know, is upset because he didn't hit the right part of the green on his one hundred and ninety yard approach out with the seven iron, and he's like, I've left a twenty feet short, Like yeah, but you're still dancing.
Speaker 3: You're sill putting freegal here.
Speaker 2: But the ball is a smidge behind and a tad bit high, and Wilson just reaches up off Rahim and snatches that thing and takes off for a big gainer. He made a number of plays in this practice. There was a little swing route to Jeff Wilson where Cedric is that you know X receiver and he kind of runs a slant block to wipe out that side of the field. And I think about his length and that particular ability and how that can compliment you know, Tyreek and Jalen talking about how you know, as Zookama on the over route takes care of when you run verticals from.
Speaker 3: Those guys, and he can replace the vacancy.
Speaker 2: There similar idea here about taking that ex position and removing half of the field and throwing in behind that. There's lots of elements you can play with this offense. Eric Azukama shined, I thought even bigger than that. We mentioned the one earlier. There was a play where he caught it closer to the middle of the field, and the way he transitioned from route runner to reception to ball carrier looked as smooth as I've seen out here. He's also got the Isaiah Ford short shorts on and dude does not miss leg day. To me, he's the most physically imposing looking player of the group. He can go pluck it, he can run after the catch. I'm expecting big things for him this season. Chosen Anderson got his conditioning in today. He must have ran a thousand yards and routes, particularly down the field, and it impacts the game whether or not he gets the football or not. It can impact the game, especially in his past those interior alignments. Look out for that in the future. And then back to Braxon Barrios, man. He had a nice reception on a deep shot from Mike White, and then one a one on one matchup against Cam Smith where he stacked the rookie and one on a ball from Skyler for about twenty yards. Really good stuff. Before we talk about the rest of the wide receivers. Here with Jalen Waddell, who broke down some stuff on his media availability. I want to go back to coach McDaniel here and play some sound for you because I thought this was maybe the best answer from coach in the entire press conference. Here he is talking about the idea of self scouting and what he did this offseason we talked about in the podcast. A ton clean up, some stuff on penalties, some of the third and short stuff, and this offense can go from really good to all time great. I'm very confident they'll get this stuff fixed because watching these games back again, if you just get rid of the pre snap stuff, this offense is going to be unstoppable.
Speaker 3: That's a promise.
Speaker 5: You know. It was kind of a critical offseason for me.
Speaker 6: I didn't look at our offense and say, wow, we did all this stuff good. I saw all the stuff that we could improve upon. Now the stuff that you know, the players and coaches did last year. You shouldn't minimize that because there was substantial growth to the tune of you know, improving quick math twenty five spots in UH in your league wide ranking. That should never be minimized. But that's not where we're trying to go. So you know, I hit UH. You know, the the the coaching staff was ready for the players to get back, and realistically, players love direction, they love you know, we need to be better, only go so far so identifying you know, critical things in our game. You know, an easy one was pre snap penalties. We were the worst at that, so got a lot of a lot of ways to improve there. I think it's important in the offseason.
Speaker 5: That you give you know, the season. There's a lot of things that into it.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of pressures that you can kind of and you're just trying to win the next game. Taking a step back I think affords people a little more open mindedness.
Speaker 5: And all I've seen is an offense.
Speaker 6: I've seen a team that isn't satisfied with where they were at. They say, twenty twenty three is an opportunity to really move past where we were last year. And that's the way they've approached it, from route running to how we block people to everything in between. The consistency of our fundamentals and detail has been huge and we've had as a result. I mean, the growth that we made in Phase one and Phase two relative to last year is astronomical. Like, guys really had a comfort level of what you know here with the Miami Dolphins. We come to work to get better and we don't have we don't spend any time or any focus on anything but that.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: And and we know that, uh, this game has a place for a lot of us individually as long as we continue to get better.
Speaker 5: And it's pretty cut and dry, and it should be that way.
Speaker 6: You know, the coaches, players, we all have jobs that are hard to get and you shouldn't the second that you're not trying to get better, there's an entitlement there that I don't really think.
Speaker 5: Helps one succeeds.
Speaker 6: So it's been a lot of what we can get better at. If you're if you guys are feeling, I don't know, up for it, maybe throw me a pat on the back because I haven't given myself many this.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and hear from the penguin himself here before our last break, who I thought again, looked the part. Wattle's a stud and absolute stud. But let's go ahead and hear from him on year two in the offense and how it can benefit him and his fellow wide receivers assistant.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, he's just you know last year, I feel like we've learned now we kind of know the details and what he's looking for with toward looking for so getting to the spots you know, to be man coverage things like that. So it's just more knowledge to the offense.
Speaker 3: So I left off before Waddle.
Speaker 2: They are talking about cam Smith and coverage and that Braxon Barros has performance there and the catch he had against cam Smith. But gosh, Smith looks the part man. I was so impressed by just the way he moved during rookie mini camp and then today with his first rep in seven on seven a pass breakup where he matched the pattern, clamped it down, drove down the stem and you see the length coming to play with how he can extend around the wide receiver without interfering and turning him with that backhand and making a play on the football. And then later in the day he came down and played up in Wattle's face. One of the toughest assignments in the national football depressed Jalen Wattle and he won. So really excited to watch the way he competes all camp long. I mentioned Hollins interception. I think there was some good stuff there from rookie Kedrin Smith. I saw him and Noah Egunoghni communicate and pass off a route really well that I thought was going to come open with Wattle screaming down the field coming off the line zero to sixty. Let's move back to the trenches here a little bit and we'll do that next on the other side.
Speaker 3: And here from Christian Wilkins.
Speaker 2: In the day they had I thought the defensive line really got after it in this one. But again to be fair, no to Ron Armstead, no Connor Williams, and the entire d line was there. Let's talk about that next round. The Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. So we did hear from Austin Jackson, Cater Kohu, and Andrew Van Ginkel, but I didn't get there for those interviews. You have to pick and choose in these days, because you get six or seven guys and it's really going to be, you know, up to you to get out there and get him. So I got Christian Wilkins and Jaylen Wattle, a little bit of Austin Jackson and Jeff Wilson there. I want to go ahead and play some sound here from Christian Wilkins, because the guy is just everything he does is regimented and very good. I've been watching the end of last season, and man, I think you can make a case that, regardless of position, team anything like that, that Wilkins from the Chargers game on was as good as anybody in the National Football League.
Speaker 3: He was dominant, utterly dominant.
Speaker 2: And I remember having conversations with him last year in Availabilities about the growth that he was demonstrating, and he talked a little bit about his familiarity and the scheme and how it allowed him to go outside a little bit and make plays when he saw those chances develop. So I asked him, how do you start that process now in a new defense.
Speaker 1: That's the same process. It's going to take a little more work on my end to completely understand the confines of the defense and how things are working.
Speaker 5: What it looks like.
Speaker 1: And you know where I can do certain things where I can't do certain things. So it's just going to take a lot more work on my part and also building that rapport with new guys on the defense, you know, new different backers and everything like that, and so we all got a good feel for each other.
Speaker 2: And of course we know Christian playing on the fifth year option this season. We've heard Chris Career talk about the desire to get something done. Here's Christian Wilkins talking about his motivation coming into a potential contract year and how that might motivate him to play this season.
Speaker 1: I'm always I'm always motivated, and motivation comes from within not a dollar amount, but it's just my drive to be the best and be my best. No dollar, you know, changes that changes my mindset whether you know something gets done or not. My approachest is always the same.
Speaker 2: We did get Christian to pat himself on the back a little bit and say that, yeah, I suppose twenty twenty two was my best season, but I thought the rest of it.
Speaker 3: Was even better than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess you could say that, but it's it won't be my best. That's the that's the goal. And that's my mindset every time I every time, you know, I work out, every time, I study film, every time I you know, eat and do that whole process. Like my goal, my mindset is always to be the best.
Speaker 2: So let's go ahead and finish up here about the Dolphins adding so many big personalities. Who better to ask about how those personalities meshed into the locker room then probably the biggest personality of all. I don't know, Tyreek Hill might have something to say about that, but here's Christian and all the personalities in that Miami Dolphins locker room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm already getting tired of Jalen for real. Oh No, it's cool. It's definitely just good, you know, and you know, it's just good to see just to have those guys who've had a lot of success in the league and kind of just talk to them. They pour into us and you know, just guys you could look to and just talk to who've had our success and kind of, you know, just take things from them, the process, how they approached the game, their mindset. You know, that's always good.
Speaker 2: And that defensive front got after it during the team session at the very end, especially, I had Chubb with a really nice stack and shed going up against alec Ingold early on in practice.
Speaker 3: Man, he thumped him.
Speaker 2: It was a good looking a football play out here in the month of May. I had Ogbot with the sack early, turning that corner off the left end, and then Jalen Phillips kind of went into unblockable mode there for a while. I had him with two sacks. But man, the rushers this defense has, it's it's really something.
Speaker 3: On top of the fact.
Speaker 2: That you have two guys inside who can three gaps so well in Wilkins and Sealer, and what Raykwan can do off of note as well, just gonna free up those edges even more. Not to mention guys like Josiah Bronson, who had himself a hell of a day as well. He had a couple of plays back to back where it was like, all right, better put ninety five in the notes today, I would say the exact same was true if Jalen Twyman, who you know, both those guys signed future contracts this winter and came out today and had really big big days on the practice field getting after the quarterback. What else we got here? So Duke Riley was in the Orange Jersey wattle war on Monday. Oh I saw Savon Achmed catch a pass for a big game. Tanner'connor got some action in the passing game. He's gonna maybe have a chance to play a lot this year. One of the nicer raheem most runs came off a really good gap clearing block where Rob Hunt had a down block and wiped out the entire b gap. I thought, Cedric Away, he really showed you his ability to get out in space.
Speaker 3: And Xavier and Howard put the clamps on a couple of those.
Speaker 2: Coverage snaps where we had the coverage sacks, I should say, where he had to reroute Eric Azukama. That really disrupted the timing of the pass and it wound up going incomplete on a play that typically for this offense is a completion. So all kinds of goods to talk about, all kinds of stuff to work on. That's all I've got for the notes so far today. I love these podcasts so much. We'll have another one for you guys next week. We'll have three of them the following week after that, and of course round out the schedule with an additional podcast.
Speaker 3: Here and there.
Speaker 2: Including Steve Goldstein and Jeremy Tasher from Bally Sports, as well as the Dan LeBatard Show for Tasha to talk about Panthers and heat, as well as the relationship with the Dolphins and all the four major sports teams here in South Florida. Fun times in this community, man very fun. If Philip fortunate to be a part of it all, let's go ahead and call today. But speaking of the next few weeks here, Hey Dolphins, Finn's Weekend is back and better than ever. This June second through the third, join your favorite Miami Dolphins coaches, players, alumni, and cheerleaders with a twenty fourth annual Finns Weekend featuring a phishing tournament, exclusive parties, and more with all pro seeds benefit the Baptist Hell Foundation. Tickets are limited and available for purchase at Finnswekend dot com. That's gonna be my time, you all. Please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcasts. Leave us a rating, leave us a review. You can follow me on Twitter at winkld NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank Podcast with Seth and Juice Lusaka Polites.
Speaker 3: Episode just dropped.
Speaker 2: Check out the YouTube channel for media availabilities and Dolphins Today and last, butt not least, Miami Dolphins dot com. Until next time, Finns Up, Caroline Cameron, Daddy is coming home.