Speaker 1: Welcome back to a numbers game with Ryan Grodowski. So, if you turned on cable news or read a newspaper the last few weeks, nearly every story straying this White House has had something to do with Elon Musk and DOGE, the Department of Government Efficiency. It's important to remember that DOGE is not actually a government department, So it's not like the Department of Education or the Interior Department. Most people don't realize, but it's actually scheduled to end on July fourth, twenty twenty six. Now, let's examine what DOGE was created for and what is done. DOGE was created by an executive order on January twentieth, twenty twenty five, by President Trump. The executive order states that doge's purpose is to quote implement the President's DOJ agenda by modernizing federal technology and software to maximize government efficiency and productivity. It later goes on to say that DOGE will improve the IT system, work with agency heads to promote interruptibility between agency networks and systems, ensure data integrity, and facilitate responsible data collection and synchronization. Nowhere in the executive order does DOGE talk about being used as a force to balance the budget or cancel contracts or like o of federal workers. It's very clearly a conversation about modernizing and protecting data to run more efficiency, which is a noble goal, like the government should try to do that. Yet most of the conversations surrounding Doge it's about saving money and stopping inefficient programs. So let's get into the data. Let's get into the numbers. The US government is currently thirty six point four trillion dollars in debt, which is a number, like most people can't think up with thirty six trillion dollars in debt. It runs a two trillion dollar deficit every single year. It's not because we don't collect money. Any taxpayer will tell you we collect money. The federal government's revenue from taxes is over five trillion dollars a year, but we spend seven trillion now. According to the Doge clock, which is a feature from the US deck clock website, doges estimated savings for the government so far from what they found is about eighty one billion dollars in waste fraud abuse. Some analysts say it's like closer to thirty eight billion, but it's between you know, thirty thirty eight and eighty one billion, whichever number it is, it's a lot of money. Pretending like it's not, which some Democrats are doing, is very stupid, because American taxayers feel like their money is being wasted on DEI consultants and duplicate programs, or just showed up being stolen and given to corrupt oligarchs overseas. But that's your data. That's the hard number. Thirty six trillion in depth, five trillion taken in through taxes, seven trillion spent, and two trillion in deficits, with between thirty eight and eighty one billion dollars in savings from DOGE. Defenders of these programs such as like USAID, which has been very heavily unscrutinized by the Doge Committee, I've said that these programs help promote foreign policy and soft power. This is Washington d C Speak for you're too stupid to complain abo how your tax dollars work. So kudos to anyone looking for bad spending and wasteful and duplicate programs. This isn't really really important work. However, it's not enough to balance our budget. It's not even close it's currently less than half of one percent of the federal deficit. This is far below the two trillion dollar number that Elon Musk originally said he hoped Doge could find and cut from the government. As a millennial who vaguely remembers the last time he balanced the budget in two thousand and one, this is frustrating. Bill Clinton actually said in two thousand he expected to pay down the entire US debt by twenty twelve because we're running surpluses in the late nineties and early two thousands, and then of course we had the Warren terror warre in Iraq, the Bush tax cuts, Obamacare, cash for clunkers, so on, and so forth. Administration after administration, and we're in the situation we're in now. Doge hit a controversy even before it began, first with the exiting of co chairman of ac Raamaswami. He left before the administration started. This is after he said a series of tweets saying that Americans were lazy and unsuccessful because they let their kids idolize athletes and have sleepovers. Sources close to me have told me that Doge was looking for him to get out way before, way before this actually came out, these tweets came out. He wasn't what you considered an extremely active participant. You know when you're like a little you're like a kid and your little brother wants to play a video game that you're playing, so but he's terrible, so you give him like a remote that's not plugged in to the game and tell him that he's like playing. That was allegedly the relationship between Elonofek. That's what my sources have told me. Since starting though in January, Doge's staff has gained access to many federal departments, taking data, including sensitive data, offering buyouts to federal workers so they could retire early. They've closed excess office space or looking to close excess office space, and canceling contracts that they thought were wasteful. There's a lot of noise around Doge. The Democrats don't have a singular message because and that's a real problem for the Democratic Party if you've paid attention the last few message for the last few years. But they're very angry about the accessing data. That the staffers were very young, The Dough staffers are very young. Some of the Dog staffers have written very spicy takes on social media that they've raised concerns about that accessing this federal data and canceling these contracts is illegal. I want to focus specifically on the data aspect because a lot of the other stuff is just political noise. It's not actually relevant that one of the people who's nineteen wrote something spicy on Twitter seven months ago, like that doesn't actually matter, but the accessing federal data could matter. Musk and the Trump administration said that they had quote read only access to all the federal data, but reporters had wired so that at least one dough staffer had the ability to change the code of the Treasury Department's payment system. Democrats have said that the staffers were attempting to cut off payments to programs that were against President Trump's agenda without an Act of Congress. Federal judge in New York has blocked Doge's access to the sense of data and the Treasury Department, while a different federal judge in Washington has declined to block doge's access to data in the Labor Department. That Ladder judge did express those concerns that seffrs had not been properly trained about handling sensitive data. The Washington Post reported quote Dojes associates have been feeding vast tropes of government records and databases into artificial intelligence tools, looking for unwanted federal programs and trying to determine which human work can be replaced with AI, machine learning tools, or even robots. Everything that can be machine automated will be machine automated. So one person speaking to the Post, that raises a question in my head, this is what I'm concerned about. Whose AI company are they replacing the workers? Because the government doesn't own an AI system. That doesn't exist, there's no federal AI system. It contracts out to other AI companies, and tech companies have investing billions and billions of dollars into smarter, faster, and possibly one day self learning AI. That's like the goal of a lot of tech billionaires is to have self learning AI. The US has no comprehensive federal laws governing AI. There are none. While there are some guidelines in the federal agencies, there's no giant oversight as to what AI should be doing. It could be doing that could be a good thing for if you're an AI investor, a bad thing if you're concerned with certain issues around AI and how would either a replacing workers or how it could possibly be interfering in our lives. That being said, if it's going to replace our federal workforce with artificial intelligence, if this is the goal of Doge, whose AI company are we using? Where are we bidding this for? Because it's not coming from within the company, within the government. We're not building our own is it Elon Musks He recently just put a ninety seven point four billion dollar bid to buy the assets of a nonprofit that controls open Ai. According to The New York Times, he's been very interested in building an AI company. This is something worth asking as we plunge headfirst into our new world. I think it could be a real problem when it comes to Doge is that Democrats and Republicans are really talking past each other at this moment. Republicans are rightfully concerned about spending because we are spending way too much, way too much deficit, way too much debt. They're completely and totally right and looking past bloated federal agencies to take out the waste as a noble cause. And while some Democrats are trying to score political points against Donald Trump, who's enjoying the most faveriable prole ratings of his entire career. Many are right to have concerns with this data. But while they're looking at it from the question of Doge holding a Social Security number and income record, no one really, I mean, that's not the real concern. What I'm worried about is the future of the government brought to us by our tech overlords. Whose AI company is going to be running our federal agencies, because it's not one that we've built, it's not one that comes from within the government, is one that is contracted from out the government. And if the people having this access to this quote unquote possibly read only files or if they're changing coding, if they're the ones getting access for their companies, that is extremely, extremely problematic. Hey, we'll be right back after this. I am beyond excited to have my guests this week, someone who can talk a lot about Doge. My guest, Congressman Marjorie Taylor Green from the Great State of Georgia's represents the fourteenth district since twenty twenty one. Representative Green is the chairwoman of the Delivering on Government Efficiency Subcommittee. Congressman thank you for being here, having to be on So my first first question is very straightforward, how does your caucus work with DOGE.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm on the subcommittee Doge Committee, which is on oversight, so it's not in caucus.
Speaker 1: Right, Sorry, that's what I'm gonna say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, caucuses are more like clubs and right, sorry about that. Yeah, So this is this, this is a committee, and what we will be doing is we'll be doing the important work in Congress to make DOGE actually effective from the legislative branch of the government. And I think this is an incredibly important thing to do because if DOGE is only functioning in the executive branch, that means and we're going to have every single Obama and Biden appointed judge coming out and blocking the important work that they're trying to do. We're going to have, you know, through Democrats filing all kinds of lawsuits trying to stop Elon Musk and Doge, and in any future Democrat administration can virtually go through and undo everything that's been done with their executive orders.
Speaker 1: So you're trying to get some of the stuff done in the legislature where there will be bills to kind of reduce the spending as well as which I think.
Speaker 2: You're so yes, We've got to do. We've got to pass bills, get them into law, we have got to put them in our funding appropriations. We've got to do everything we can. Congress has got to get on board with DOGE because the American people voted for it. President Trump campaigned on it the last few months of his campaign. It was one of the biggest pieces. And this is what the American people want, and Republicans need to make sure we deliver.
Speaker 1: So I think that a lot of Republicans when it comes to DOJ, they're very interested in the type of ways our tax dollars are being used. So you have things like one hundred million dollars for DEI training for teachers, nine million dollars in a contract for quote Central American Gender Assessment Services. I don't know what that actually means. What has been your opinion on the finding so far?
Speaker 2: I think they're outrageous. I share the same outrage that the American people, do, you know, think about it like this, Ryan, here we are, we're coming up on April fifteenth, and many small business owners, many Americans, you know, single moms, all kinds of people right now are pulling together their financial paperwork where they're going to get ready to file their taxes and once again pay the federal government a bunch of money that they have worked so hard to earn. And at the same time that that part of the year is approaching that deadline to pay taxes to the federal government, here's people learning about ridiculous expenditures of their hard earned tax dollars, and we're thirty six trillion dollars in debt. The American people should not only be outraged, they should be furious. Now it's too much to even comprehend.
Speaker 1: Now. Elon Musk originally said he was hoping to cut two trillion dollars using dog I think I think Congress does need to get involved in order to hit that amount. You know, in terms of huge spending cuts, are you I mean, has any of your fellow members sat there and said that they want to institute these kinds of spending cuts to make government more efficient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Actually, it's what we're arguing about. That's what's taking us so long with our reconciliation budget is we are trying very hard to figure out how to make cuts and It's not going to happen overnight. This is something that's really going to have to be dialed in because you have to understand, not only do we have to cut spending, we also have to pass President Trump's Tax Cuts and Savings Law. We have to put that back into law because it expires this year. But we're also adding more tax cuts on top of that. No tax on tips, no tax on social Security, no tax on overtime. And President Trump is supporting salt. So these are more tax cuts that are going to take place on top of spending cuts, and we just have to make sure that we've got the numbers right to be able to deliver on those promises right now.
Speaker 1: Democrats have used Elon Musk as a punching bag in the last couple of weeks, specifically around concerns over federal data, and some of Republican colleagues of yours have some letters to constituents saying that they're concerned, what is your opinion and what is the opinion of the subcommittee when it comes to oversight, when it comes like handling sensitive data.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's really ridiculous that the Democrats have decided to basically make the new bad guy, the man that is getting involved in trying to save America from our death fil basically into thirty six million dollars in debt. It's important to talk about the compounding interest in our debt. This year alone, the compounding interest is going to be bigger than our military budget, which is close to nine hundred billion dollars. So for the Democrats to decide that they're they're going to make the bad guy, and they're going to go out there and protests in front of the Department of Education and the Department of Commerce, and they're going out there and saying, we're going to to defend the unelected bureaucrats, We're defending the government. We want to keep spending this money. Elon Musk is bad. He is evil. I think that is music to my ears because I really want to win the midterms Ryan, and I think the Democrats are definitely going down the wrong path for making a big fuss over cutting spending.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, the image of Chuck Schumer and Maxine Water is raising their canes in the air.
Speaker 2: Not exactly, And think about it. On top of that, you bring up them, they've been in Congress probably longer than me and you have been alive, and they're responsible for the debt, and so it's just laughable. They're just providing us whenever ending campaign ads that will definitely be beneficial.
Speaker 1: I wonder, though, if there are Democrats on the subcommittee who do worry about things like you know, Musk has Musk has not it still runs his businesses and he's technically got a government employee, and if there's any kind of conflict of interest around that, is that something that subcommittee would be interested in picking up or at least we're viewing and seeing and saying, here's some oversight, here's some guardrails, because I think that the concern over guardrails has really reached, at least in the media, a very very very big concern in some people. Some people have concerned.
Speaker 2: About Oh, I think guardrails are important. That's why the Oversight Committee we investigated the Biden crime family, right, there were no guardrails, but in place at all we can we can look at many Democrats and their connections and how they make money. I mean, we're looking at like USAID for example, has funded so many NGOs, has funded has basically rode alongside the CIA with regime change, in foreign wars. They have funded many organizations that George Soros is literally aligned with and running, and we know that money makes its way back into Democrat campaign offers. I don't think that there's I don't have any concerns about Elon Musk. You know they're talking about, Oh, Elon Musk has people social security numbers. Well, the richest man in the world is really not going to go out and set up some account with your grandma's Social Security number. He just doesn't need to do that.
Speaker 1: So no, I agree. I think the worry over social security numbers is very kind of a low iq to argument. It's a very dumb down argument to scare people because it doesn't really make any sense. And I also think that we need to reframe what titles are. If only if you're an NGO, but only all your money comes from the government, you're not really an NGO.
Speaker 2: Well, you're not even a business, just a federally funded program. It's a handout. Basically, it's kind of like welfare giving somebody that has three degrees, a master's degree, a PhD. So they are lit really the product of Marx's Marxism and Communism and universities and then they go out and client tell mom and dad that they got our mom and mom or dad and dad that they got a job. And it's really a federal funded handout. So we just as a people need to look at it and go, we're thirty six trillion dollars in debt. What can we afford and what can we not afford? Yeah, we can't afford these these federal handouts for these so called.
Speaker 1: Ng its you're listening to it's a numbers game with Ryan Gradowsky. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: There was a.
Speaker 1: Story in the Washington Post about the fact that they are looking to possibly people indage are looking to change the costs and way we do government work with replacing some human workers with AI. What is your opinion of replacing workers with federal workers with AI? Do you have one or is that something of the subcommittee could look at as a possible, you know, way to change up and reduce spending. Is obviously AI is much cheaper than people are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely is. I support President Trump and the federal buyouts for federal workers, and I think that has been a wise decision. We have to reduce the federal workforce it's the largest employment in the employer in the entire country. I think AI can be incredibly helpful. It's definitely being used in the private sector, from everything of replacing say, for example, and employees at fast food restaurants, all the way down to being able to replace construction workers by printing homes literally building homes. So I think AI is definitely a solution that we'll be looking at, and it'll just depend on you know, I don't nail down always on a broad issue, just depends on how to solve the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I agree with you, and I don't want to give you fedical because I think that's just that's when reporters use that gotcha questions. I don't want to give you hypothetical. I just I think that it's a good question because the federal government doesn't own an AI company, so everything will be contracted out, and I just you know, when it comes to all of our federal information, all of our federal data, I think that having some oversight over which is what you're on, oversight over these private companies and AI basically running parts of our federal government is just worthy of doing. What is your goal, like, what is your if you could have, if the whole world had to listen, Margine Taylor Green or the whole subcommittee of the whole Congress, what it would be your goal that DOAGE would do by the time it ends in July fourth, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: I think the most important thing DOAGE can do is effectively reduce the size of the federal government and reduced the spending. It's just so overgrown. It is incredibly massive, and it really doesn't serve the American people. We also have to streamline it, especially in the payment processing centers. This is where all the checks get sent out from various departments. For example, my hearing on Wednesday on Medicaid and Medicare, we investigated improper payments and so we looked in deeply at how hundreds of billions of dollars can be saved literally by stopping checks from going to dead people, going to foreign countries, criminal rings that have used Americans ID and used their stolen their data to create accounts, and they're literally stealing our money and it's being sent overseas. This can all be stopped by literally algorithms in our payment processing departments. And you know, those are the things we got to do. It's modernization. These are the things that you do in your private business that makes your business run more efficient, which increases your revenue and increases your profit. And so my goal with doged would be to transform the federal government to be run like a very successful business and serve its customer, which is the American people, versus a failing business that's on the verge of bankruptcy, which is what we are right now.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, no, and it's it's when I've said this at the beginning of the show. In two thousand, we were expected to pay off our entire national debt by twenty twelve, and so obviously that didn't happen, and much happened in reverse. So I think anything to remedy that situation at this point would make it happen. And you know, a lot of Democrats in the media are pushing the idea that ultimately any kind of reduction in government spending is going to come with an enormous amount of pain. Yet there is over fifty billion dollars in medicaid for all that they just discovered in the Wall Street Journal. There's all these you know NGOs, as we've talked about, is there a way to reduce the size and spending a government without middle America or or middle income people or lower income people and seniors really being so heavily impact that they feel the pain. Because we've talked about having Social Security, no tax social Security, no tax on tips, tax cuts that help the middle class. You know, what would you say to the two progressives who say any cut and spending is going to eventually hurt working class people.
Speaker 2: That's just an absolute lie. Cutting spending is going to help middle class and low income Americans because it's going to lower inflation. And so if we lower inflation, that means grocery costs are going to go down, Electricity costs are going to go down, the price that the gas pump is going to go down, and then we're going to be helping the most vulnerable Americans. No tax on Social Security is actually the most common sense thing that we can do for our grandparents. They should never be paying taxes on these Social Security checks anyways. This is money that's already been tax This is money that they should be paid right back, and they shouldn't have to pay Uncle Sam again, who clearly isn't good with handling their hard earned money. We're going to be helping those single moms and people that are really struggling by cutting the deficit. Growing the economy, which is another very important piece to this, growing the economy, passing President Trump's Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, and making sure that we passed his new tax priorities as well well.
Speaker 1: Congressman, I want to thank you so much for being on here. I really hope that the Subcommittee takes a look at, especially as we move towards AI over any kinds of conflicts of interest or which kind of companies get it. Because the the nation doesn't own an as system, we're going to contract it out. But I think that the work that Doge Committee is doing to reduce government spending is of the utmost necessary because we are going to be in a in a default very very very soon. Thank you so much for being here. I really really appreciate your time. Where can people go to read what you're doing, what you're working on on Doge?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, thank you so much. Ryan. They can go to my government website, which is green dot House dot gov. Green has any on the end. They can subscribe to my newsletter. That's something that they'll get monthly. They can also follow on my social media at Rep MTG at Rep MTG and also our newly formed Doge Committee social media as well. So those are all the places they can follow along, and I hope they do. Where You're going to be doing very great work and I'm looking forward to it well.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see what you guys exposed as far as bad government spending and some of the fireworks and those subcommittee hearings. Thank you so so much. I appreciate you being on. Thanks Ryan, Thank you Congressman Margor Taylor Green for being the show. Was a great episode. Please like and subscribe and listen every week the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.