Speaker 1: Google is ruled a monopoly, so what does that mean for your search? The app that can tell you about flight delays even before the airlines themselves. Another streaming service is raising prices and at rhymes with kidney plus. Your tech questions answered. What's going on? I'm Rich Demiro and this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple A Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Again the phone line for the show eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call. If you have a question about technology, you're confused about something, you need an app for something, you need a website, you need some help deciding between a couple of products, whatever it is, I am here for you. Email is also open. Just go to the website Richontech dot TV and hit contact. This week on the show, We've got Bart Welch of Points. Yeah, this is a website that can help you plan your travel with your points. You're racked up those points. You need to figure out how to use them. It seems impossible to do that in a efficient way. Points yet can help. We'll talk to him a little bit later on. And then what about the idea of a solar electric car. There is one company that is working on one. Steve Fambreau of Aptera Motors is going to join me to talk all about the solar electric car. Well, this was a big week for Google, and not in a good way. A federal judge ruled that Google illegally maintained a monopoly in online search. Now, usually when you hear about monopoly, you're thinking about the game. This is no game, this is real. Now, Google, we all know they have a lot of products. Google is our Search is their largest product. It is a product that makes them a majority of their income, even though they have their hands in many other things. But this was a big ruling against them. This is the first major antitrust ruling against a tech, big tech company in the modern Internet era. The last time this happened was Microsoft with Internet Explorer. Remember they installed Internet Explorer on all of their Windows machines and people got up in arms because Netscape was the big browser at the time, and Microsoft said, hey, wait a second, we want a little piece of that. And so they just went ahead and installed Internet Explorer by default on all their Windows machines and next thing you know, people were like, wait a second, how can you do that?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: That was a major turning point for Microsoft, to major turning point for the Web, major turning point in so many ways. But this is an interesting one with Google, and here is where the judge had a big problem. Google pays billions of dollars to be the default search engine on devices like when you get a device from Apple, you get a device from Samsung, a tablet, a phone, and many other devices. Google has paid those companies many times billions of dollars to be the default search engine, and in particular, Apple is the one that is mentioned many many times because I think they pay them some upwards of twenty billion dollars a year or something like that. I mean, it's just an incredible amount of money. And so if they're paying them billions of dollars, imagine how much Google is making in return. Because you don't just pay something out and not make a return on that investment. You make many, many times a return on that investment. So the fact is Google being the default search engine on these devices makes them a lot of money because when you fire up your web browser and you search for something, what happens You get those little links up at the top that you click by mistake or maybe you just click them because they're relevant, and Google makes a lot of money off of those links. So this case focused on Google's dominance in search, so nothing else about the company, but really the dominance in search. And I thought what was interesting is not only does Google control not only does Google control like ninety percent of the Internet search market, they're really good at it. So the judge had no problem with the fact that Google has a really good search engine. And in fact, there was another story that came out surrounding this about Apple and Microsoft. So I guess Microsoft came to Apple and said, hey, can Bing be the default on the iPhone? And Apple said to Microsoft, there is no money in the world you can pay us to make Bing the default on the iPhone because what would happen if you turned on your iPhone and you had Bing as your default. You'd not be happy because those results are just not the same. They're just not as good as what Google delivers. So the interesting part about this is that Google did this and people didn't mind because they like Google and they like the search results. But the problem is if you are an advertiser, and this is where the anti trust came in. Because Google was so dominant on all of these devices, they could charge as much as they want for those little links at the top of search. And that is where the judge found the problem. He said, because Google controls so much of the industry, and because Google has such a stronghold on all these devices, when a company goes to advertise on Google, Google can charge whatever they want. They are left unchecked because where else are you gonna go If you want to get in front of all of those eyeballs, There is no other place you can go.
Speaker 2: You have to go to Google.
Speaker 1: And Google knows that, and so they charge as much as they want because there's really no alternative. And that is the issue that they took with Google. Now I would agree with this. I think that it is true. We love Google. But yeah, if you've ever done a search, you know, if you've ever bought search ads, and I've helped small businesses do this, including my father's business. It is basically just a spigot of money for Google. You have no idea what's going on. You kind of set a budget and next thing you know, Google just runs through that budget and they say, Okay, you want to do more. You want to do more, you want to do more, and you don't know if it's working or not. I mean, sometimes you can tell, but for a lot of these businesses, they're just spending money and Google's just collecting the money. And you don't know if you could have better results somewhere else. Maybe you could go to Yelp, maybe you can go I mean, where else would you go? It's really just Google if you want to reach these foot folks. Sorry, my phone, my phone keeps activating because it keeps hearing me say Google, and so it is responding.
Speaker 2: That's how powerful Google is.
Speaker 1: It's even responding to what I'm saying right now here on the radio. But that is what the judge found. And so what's going to happen here? What's going to happen we don't know. Is this judge going to try to break up Google? Are they going to try to separate Google's advertising business from Chrome? I mean, really, when you look at Google, they have a couple of major businesses that make them money, and I would say that's probably YouTube and advertising. Those are the two main things that make Google money.
Speaker 2: Gmail.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's just kind of that's just a way to get people to use Google and some of the other things they've worked on, you know, maybe some of the web stuff and the cloud storage that's that's not returned in a huge way like some other companies like Apple. Oh my gosh, they my. Google just keeps telling me stuff right here. I thought you had to say, hey, Google, are okay?
Speaker 2: Google?
Speaker 1: Apparently I can just say, oh my oh, I'm activating Bobos too.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Okay.
Speaker 1: So here is the question. There's two things I see here. Number One, if you're talking about Google right now, I think there are so many headwinds against them. Right So, you've got Google, You've got Ai, which is coming along here. And I would say Google is probably in the worst position they have been in in a long time, because if you think about it, who are you going to go to for Ai? You're probably not going to Gemini unless you see that little thing and it pops up, You're probably going to chatch Ebt. So I think that AI has the potential to upend twenty five years of progress with Google.
Speaker 2: We will see.
Speaker 1: I mean, Google's putting a good fight in here. The other question is if you had a choice, Let's say, when you fired up your iPhone or when you fired up your Samsung for the first time, it gave you a choice screen and it said, Hey, which search engine do you want as your default? Would you choose different one? Now, for what it's worth, you can go in on the iPhone and choose a different search engine. You can go into Settings, you can go into Safari and then search engine. Now that your choices there are Google, Yahoo, Bing, Duck, Duck Go, and Ekoshia.
Speaker 2: I think that's how you say it.
Speaker 1: For every search I think they plant like a tree, or every ten searches whatever, they plant a tree. So it's like an Earth friendly search engine. Would you choose one of those over Google? I would personally not. I'm sticking with Google. Un Android, you can open Chrome. You can tap the three dots in the upper right hand corner and then tap settings search Engine, and they give you a choice of Google, Yahoo, Bing, Yan Dex.
Speaker 3: What's yandex? Is that like the Russian one? I gotta see what that is? Yand dex. Yeah, I think that's the Russian search engine. Wow, I'm surprised that's a choice. And Duck duck go again. I'm not switching to any of those. I'm sticking to Google. That's why I like Chrome, That's why I use Google. Now where it gets interesting is, of course I'm using Google for search. But what am I using for AI? I'm not using Google majority of the time. What am I using I'm not even using chat GBT. I'm using something called Claude from Anthropic. I find it to be far superior to anything out there, especially when it comes to text.
Speaker 1: Anyway, big news for Google this week. We will see what happens, any kind of punishment. It might take six months to a year to find out. And Google, of course disagrees with all of this, and they are appealing that ruling. All right, Coming up on today's show, another story about Google. They are killing Chrome casts after eleven years. It's not as crazy as it sounds, I'll explain. But first your turn, your calls coming up at eight eight eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. My name is Rich Dmuro and you are listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight. Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four four one zero one. Thanks for joining me today. I guess they're the ending the show early with this song.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm just kidding, uh that the the intro was so bad that they're like, no more, no more, Rich, Uh No, I'm just kidding, but uh, it just goes to show that uh G O O G L E is always listening, so is s I R I and A L E X A. Who would have thought that you would need a degree in spelling to listen to a tech show, but these uh, you know, it's funny my uh my little uh what's it called a Google Home? That thing now when you look at it, it listens to you. And so every time you even go your eyes even go near the thing, it just starts like in listening mode. And my kid always walks by and he always says to to it. He says, why are you listening to me? Why are you listening?
Speaker 2: But it's just what these things want to do.
Speaker 1: Uh eighty eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one the website for the show richon tech dot TV. Let's go to Adam in Orlando, Florida. Adam, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: Hi, Rich, thank you for taking my call. I have a question about an older Samsung TV that I have. It's I think it was made in twenty seventeen or twenty eighteen. It's a smart TV. I can use Netflix and I'm and all the regular apps, but it has a problem with the paramount Plus app. And so I tried it on a newer TV that I have in another room, and the Paramount Plus app works fine. So I suspect it's my older TV that's having a problem with it, even though the other apps work fine. And I guess my question is I don't want to replace the TV because it only is not working with the Paramount Plus. But I'm wondering if there's a maybe a less expensive way of figuring out this problem, maybe a firestick. I don't want to use rokup. I don't have rokup, but I don't want to use it because I don't want to give them. I believe you have to use a credit card number to use the Roku and I don't want to do that, So I'm wondering what options you may be aware of.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, first off, yeah, I mean number one. I'm looking at the paramount plus support site and it does say paramount plus works on twenty seventeen Samsung TVs and newer running ties in so that sounds like your set would fit that bill. So I would try to troubleshoot this and get this thing working. I will tell you this, in my experience, paramount Plus has the worst app of any streaming service out there. I have the most issues with it. It does not work half the time, I can't get it to download to my devices, and it's just overall really really poorly done. It stutters, it's just not good. So with that said, once you get it up and running, it's still not that greade of an experience. But I think your model number is on the CUSP pure so it may just be that it's fallen off support. But it does say twenty seventeen models a newer it does not give a specific model number for that Samsung TV. So with that said, what I would do before you go trying something else, I would uninstall this app and then I would as much as you can update any sort of operating system on that Samsung TV. I would restart the TV, do like a nice restart where you go into settings and restart it, not just you know, turning it off and on, and then I would install this app again and log in again and see if it works. Then now, if none of that gets it to work, then I would look into an alternative, and I think the alternative is number one. Typically these TVs have casting built in, so I would just download the Paramount Plus app on your phone and past the picture to the TV. And usually all you have to do is download the app, make sure your phone is on the same Wi Fi network as the TV, and even if you have an iPhone, it should work. To cast this into the Samsung TV as well. You may have to put the Samsung TV. You may have to turn on that feature just to get that to work, but that's probably the simplest and easiest way. The only downside of that is that you're going to be controlling everything from your phone and not from the TV screen itself. But that's an easy way to continue using your TV the way you typically do. Just when you want to watch something on Paramount you've got to stream it. And keep in mind, even if it's coming from your phone, it's not actually streaming the show from your phone. Your phone is just acting as a remote control for the TV, and on the back end, your TV is just calling up that live stream or whatever that stream is and streaming it from its own data and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: So that's number one.
Speaker 1: The other way is if you already have the Roku and you want to use that. Yes, I do believe that Roku requires some sort of level of payment information if you want to set up an account. These days, it's been a while since I did that. I think some people are grandfathered in, but they may require that. You could use an account like privacy dot com, so that could shield your credit card number. You could just use like a one time credit card or a virtual card number. Your bank might offer that, and that way they can't actually charge you for anything. So you can sign up for the account. They might authorize it for a dollar just to make sure that card works, and then you could just get rid of that card or pause it, and that way you never get charged. So that's another way. But I think the easiest way if you want to is just upgrade this old TV with a with a stick. The fire TV stick, like you mentioned, I think is probably going to be the cheapest and the easiest, and it does support all of these different apps, all of the main apps these days. Adam and Orlando, thanks so much for the call. Eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, I'll tell you why Google is killing Chrome Cast. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple A Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. All of the songs today you really liked last week when my mom chose all the songs. My mom is still in town and I said, Mom, you gotta do it again. People liked your eclectics taste in songs, and so she did. She came up with this list of songs and hand wrote it once again. And I think they're pretty good. So that was gosh, that was from a while ago. Aerosmith. Don't want to miss a thing. So speaking to my mom whenever she comes into town, we are pretty much we're like tourists in our own town, which I always it's fun when people come to town because you end up doing things you wouldn't typically do, and so it's always nice. And by the way, she watches my kids without any sort of asking. She'll just be like, go out, go, go go, and so we get to do that as well, which is kind of nice. But my kid has been begging me to play this song that he wrote about my mom, and he made it on his iPad. You know, my kids, I've got two kids ten and just turned thirteen. And when I tell you, they are so ahead of where we were when we were kids, it is incredible and it gives me a lot of faith for the future because these kids are so advanced that when I was a kid, you know, I was playing with dirt and worms and you know, just hanging out in the backyard. These kids, I mean, my kids are literally like hacking on computers, like just kidding, but they want to. I mean, they're literally they're so curious. Anyway, So my kid made this song called Grandma d on an an app called band Lab on his iPad. So take a listen question. Then you found a little home, sit a little hope here. I think he's just yelling.
Speaker 2: I missed that last.
Speaker 1: Line anyway, So you got Grandma d this is my my ten year old I haven't listened to this, okay anyway, So Tanner, there you go. There's your song that you want me to play on the radio. Eighty day eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Uh, clearly use a little bit of auto tune there. But again, Uh, it's just incredible what you can do with apps on your iPad. The stuff that I see my kids do and create, I mean, being a creator now compared to when I was coming up through the world, it is just incredible. I mean, I paid today to buy capcut, which uh is TikTok's editing program, And I mean, it's just incredible what you can do on your phone with a mobile editing program. I grew up editing on tape to tape, three quarter inch tape to three quarter inch tape. Then eventually we got to VHS, and then eventually we got to digital. And now you are shooting on your phone using a microphone that is connected to your phone wirelessly, and you can make an entire video and then you can by the way put the captions on you can it's just quite quite incredible. So I am very impressed with what we are able to do nowadays. Speaking of apps, one of my favorite apps got a big update this week.
Speaker 2: It's called Flighty.
Speaker 1: You've probably heard me talk about it before if you've ever listened to me for more than a minute. But this is one of my all time favorite apps. But just to give you an example of how tough it is, even when I tell people how great things are, they still don't necessarily do it. So, for instance, I always tell people you got to use a password manager, you got to turn on two factor authentication, And nine times out of ten, when someone emails me and says they were hacked, I said, well did you have the No, I didn't do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well I get it. It's tough.
Speaker 1: I know it's a little bit more work, but please do these things that I mention my sister she was flying and I said, oh, you gotta download Flighty, and she goes, what does it do that my airline app doesn't do?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, okay, fair enough.
Speaker 1: Yes you can track using your airline app, but this is just so much more beautiful and it's not airline specific, and it's just really cool. So the main thing that they did this week they updated it to tell you about flight delays before your airline tells you. So they're now using machine learning AI to forecast delays up to six hours in advance, so before you even leave your house, it might be able to tell you that, hey, your flight's going to be delayed. Now what you do with that information is up to you. Are you going to stay home?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It depends on how seasoned of a traveler you are, But I think where this really comes in handy is when you might need to rebook a flight or change your flight preemptively because you know you're going to miss your connection or whatever because it's going to be late. So they claim up to ninety five percent accuracy. How are they doing this? They are looking at whether they're looking at airport issues, special events, happening, live performance, airport performance trends, FAA and euro controlled data for air traffic controls. I mean they're looking at a whole bunch of stuff, feeding that all into their AI and then coming up with this information. Now, if you're not familiar with FLIGHTY in general, it is just a fantastic way to track your flights. You pop your flight number in there, it lives on your device. It finds all the information. What I particularly like is it tells you how old the airplane is, which is kind of fun because you're like, oh, and it not only tells you how old the plane is, it now tells you the name of the airplane. So Jet Blue and these other smaller airlines they like to have fun names for the aircraft, so they'll show you that. It also tells you if you've ever been on that route before before, how many times you've been on that route, and if you've ever been on that specific aircraft. I mean, it's really quite incredible. It gives you a list of all the different flights that you've been on in the past. You can share your flight information with a friend, you can share it to your social media, and it's just it's so beautifully done that I keep telling the developer, I said, can you please make this for Android as well? So Android folks can enjoy this beautiful flight tracking app. And they're just doing so well on iPhone that they just they don't even have they're just not considering it Android right now. But last he said maybe a couple of years, but that is part of their paid they do have like a pro which is four dollars a week or forty eight dollars a year. Right now, this works on iPhone only if you are Android and you want something. The closest I've found is an app called App in the Air and that's but again not as beautiful, not as well designed. The notifications don't come in as fast, but it is it is a nice app to have. So again, if you're flying a lot, you know, these apps really do help, so check it out, Flighty.
Speaker 2: I'll put a link on the website. Rich on tech dot tv.
Speaker 1: Also this week, you might have gotten an email from Cash App saying you're eligible for a settlement. This is related to a data breach in twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three. Is a fifteen million dollars settlement. Eligible class members are current and former Cash app customers that were affected between August twenty third, twenty eighteen, and August twentieth, twenty twenty four. So you use the Cash app in those years, you may get up to twenty five hundred dollars for documented losses related to the data breach. So this is not one of those things where you just get money because you're using the app. I've been using cash App since day one. I did not get an email about this, so I'm curious what makes you qualify For the email from them, maybe they know that your information was out there and you had some sort of loss. But the compensation will cover credit costs, bank fees, travel expenses, and up to three hours of lost time at twenty five dollars an hour, so that you could probably claim without sort of any receipts or anything. Say, yeah, this cost me a couple hours surfing the web seventy five bucks. I mean, if you're eligible, you might as well claim. For filing is November eighteenth, twenty twenty four. You do have to have documentation of losses, so again this is not one of those like automatic things. But if you get an email, and again be careful because what happens is this is real. But scammers will capitalize on this, and so they will email you saying, hey, use the cash app here claim your money. So don't just like start typing in your information when you get something like that. Go to the official website Cashappsecuritysettlement dot com Cashappsecurity Settlement dot com. That is the official website and you can see more information about this. But again, fifteen million dollars settlement for cash App for data breaches in twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three. All right, eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up on the show, I'm going to tell you about Samsung. They're announcing a recall. If you have a stove from them, you might want to hear this because they're recalling over a million stoves. And the website for the show rich on Tech dot tv. Can find me online on social media at rich on Tech. And coming up later, I'm gonna have a guest that's going to tell you how you can plan your travel with your points. You are listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Miro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's go to Paul in Columbus, Ohio. Paul, you're on with rich.
Speaker 5: Very great, Rich. Thanks, how you're doing today?
Speaker 2: I am doing fantastic. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Good thank you.
Speaker 6: Okay, I've got an older iMac the Night twenty fifteen model as a twenty seven inch great screen, and all won't be able to use it anymore. But bottom line, it's kind of pooping out. Wanted to consider another Mac, but concerned about.
Speaker 5: The ability to run Windows. I know right now the only way you can do it is with Parallels, which isn't the most economical way. But is there anything coming down the line where we'd be able to with the newer M chips be able to run Windows?
Speaker 2: Great question? Yeah, so I know I was. Let's see.
Speaker 1: So boot Camp is what Apple offers for free to install Windows on Mac computers, but like you said, that only works on the old Intel based computers. I don't see anything on their website about the you know, the new Apple Silicon, so like the M chips. Basically, let's see if they say anything about that. Yeah, I don't see anything about that, so it doesn't seem like they're bringing that back anytime soon. So, yes, you would need an older computer to do it that way. And you also mentioned Parallels, which of course is a very popular way to run Windows on a Mac computer virtually, But have you heard of VMware Fusion Pro. So I actually mentioned this on the show. I think, gosh, it might have been a couple of months ago, but they made this free. So this is a program that's typically two hundred dollars, and if you're using it for personal use, you can download this for free and emulate Windows on your Mac computer. So that would probably work for you. And it does work on the the M class chips, so I think that's probably your best bet, Paul, is to download this program if you get a new computer. Ironically or incidentally, I literally just got a new MacBook today using it for the first time. I had the old not old, it was only a year old or two years old, but it was the MacBook Pro and I bought the thirteen inch and it was just I could not deal with the screen size.
Speaker 2: It was so small.
Speaker 1: And I put up with it, I think, for two years, and I finally said, Okay, I've got to get a fifteen inch MacBook Air. And because I wanted a lighter computer, you know, that's why I went, not with the sixteen inch Pro. But anyway, I got it today. I I could not be happier with it. It is incredible and I don't run Windows on it. But maybe I'll try it with this you know this Fusion Pro thirteen, but again VMware Fusion Pro thirteen it's free for personal use. Used to be one hundred and ninety nine bucks, and that would let you run the Windows on your new Mac computer even if it has the newer chip. And I highly recommend if you're going to get a Mac at this point, going with the newer chips because Apple has really outdone themselves with this. They have done just such a great job in optimizing those chips.
Speaker 2: So there you have it.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the call today from Columbus, Ohio. Appreciate it, and let's go to AJ in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: You're on with Rich.
Speaker 7: Hey Jay Rich, good morning, how are you.
Speaker 2: I am doing well, Good morning.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 8: Question.
Speaker 7: I heard your little blurb about the app that allows you great editing on TikTok. I'm a former cio Cto Technology all my lives decades. Love it, love it, love it. But I'm wondering about your take on the security issues around the use of TikTok just in general. Have heard lots of you know, pro cons about it, but wondering what the latest and greatest is from your perspective.
Speaker 1: All right, hold on, let me pour a drink here, let me turn on the fireplace. I gotta gotta get comfortable here in my lazy boy before I talk about this.
Speaker 2: I totally yeah, you know, it's funny.
Speaker 1: I knew when I mentioned that that there would be some people like raising an eyebrow, be like interesting.
Speaker 2: So I'll start with this.
Speaker 1: Number one. I do not have TikTok on my phone. I think TikTok is pretty horrible. And it's not because of the data. It's actually because of what you see on there. And you know, for me, as a journalist, I deal in facts and I deal in stuff that when I put something on social media, I have fact check it. I fact checked it, I have vetted it. I have made sure that what I'm telling people is right and is truthful. And I feel like all of that is thrown away on TikTok. And not just that when you start watching something on TikTok, what does it do? It puts you down a rabbit hole of that exact content over and over in a thousand different ways. Not to mention that I just can't stand poor, poor quality of videos where people you know they do these things where they hold the microphone in front of their mouth. For some reason, I don't understand that they put the screen screen where it's like not fully green screened out. I don't understand that. Maybe I'm just old and curmudgeonly and I, you know, don't really know what the kids are doing on there. But my concerns with it is more that now, when it comes to data, I think that there is a lot of people out there concerned with how TikTok is using their data. And of course what I was talking about, which is cap cut, the most popular editing app on mobile, and it also has a desktop version as well. And I would be lying if when I installed a cap cut on my old computer, I did not think about the rampifications of China perhaps having some sort of access to data on my computer. And I'll be honest, I did not install it on my new desktop when I got it, because I said, you know what, I feel comfortable with it on my phone. And I'll tell you why I feel comfortable with TikTok and even cap cut on my phone. It's because Apple is the one that is allowing that app on the phone, and Apple does not fool around with privacy and safety and security. So the information that TikTok can gather from your smartphone, and I'm talking iPhone only at this point is limited to what Apple allows every other app in the world to collect. So can they get the information and the maximum information they want out of there, Absolutely, but it's limited by what Apple does. And Apple has done a great thing with iOS where they put everything in these little compartments, and apps are not necessarily allowed to snoop those different compartments. So I do think that a lot of the privacy claims are they're way over sold. When it comes to TikTok Now and Android, I think there's a little bit more concern because the Android operating system does have a little bit more freedom with the apps to kind of snoop around in things that's getting closed up as well.
Speaker 2: I think Google is doing a much better job.
Speaker 1: But what I think is everything comes down to what you're comfortable with and the information you're giving out. So I think that you need to be careful with any app and anytime you're sharing personal information. Does TikTok have the location of every person that's using the app? Probably are they collecting data on their web surfing habits and things like that. Yeah, if you give them access to that, But I don't think it goes above and beyond what other apps are collecting. But I think, no matter what, you have to remain critical about any time you are installing an app, and anytime you're giving your information anywhere, whether it's on your phone, the web, and no matter what you're doing. Thanks for the call, Aja, Do you appreciate you listening? This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. There you can get my newsletter. There's a new issue today packed with all kinds of good information. Uh, just looking at some of the feedback so far on the show. We got an email from Gary in Burbank. He said the Flighty app is now also available on Android.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 1: He searched the playstore and sure enough, if you do search the Playstore for flight Y, there is an app. It says Flighty app flight tracker with five thousand downloads. Do not download that. Well, I mean unless you want that app. But that is not the app I'm talking about. And in fact, it looks like a third grader made this app and just they're playing on the name. So they're playing on the fact that you are searching for Flighty and it's not in it and it comes up as this that's not the same app. So let's see do they have any other apps? Now they have a couple apps, but yeah, so it's only got five thousand downloads. Flighty is not available for Android. I'm looking on the website right now, the official website flightyapp dot com. Be careful, you got it. This is one of the biggest issues with app names is that there are so many companies that prey upon people just searching and using you know, the name and or a variation of the name, or they use a sponsored ad with the name, and it's just you got to be very very careful. That's why I always try to give like official links for things. Over on Twitter, David said, I just got a new Roku device two weeks ago, no credit card needed, so do a little searching online and it seems like it's kind of a debate of whether you can set up a Roku account with a credit card or not. One of the posts I saw said that you can skip it at the bottom of the screen. It's got like a tiny little thing where you can bypass the credit card. Back in twenty twenty, someone posted a link to a forum for Roku where if you go into myrocud my dot Roku dot com slash sign up slash no CC, it will apparently not ask you for the credit card. So I don't know if that's true or not, but there you go. So kind of divided on that. But all these companies, you know, nowadays, all these companies want a credit card because they want you. They want to be able to make the purchase process as seamless as possible. They want you to say, oh, I want to rent a movie, and next thing you know, oh, I already have my credit card in there. Cool, I'll just rent it other than trying to find your card and input it at that time, And that gives you time to think and then you say never mind. Jay wrote in said, my Samsung phone fell in water. Is now done? Can I recycle it best Buy? Since I cannot reset it to factory setting. Is it possible for someone to access the data or is there any other option? Thanks, you could recycle it best buy. Best Buy says, and you can go to best Buy or Staples and recycle this. They both say that they dispose of these things properly, so you know, that means that they're not supposed to have their employees kind of looking at these things. And you know, and everyone I've talked to that recycles electronics, like the companies, if they're reputable, they go through and they make sure that these things are wiped before they actually recycle them, so you can feel comfortable. I mean, it's really how comfortable you feel with putting this phone. If it does indeed have all of your data, then you know there is a risk. But the reality is your phone is probably protected with a passcode, so I think that even if someone got access to this phone, they would likely not get access to your information. So what they're going to do is when they get this phone, they're going to test it. They're going to see if it turns on. If it doesn't, then they're just gonna scrap it for parts. If it does, they're gonna put it on a machine that's gonna wipe it clean and then sort of get it set up again for recycling or for resale or whatever they do with these things. Sometimes they sell them, sometimes they scrap them, sometimes they get the little parts out of them. But I think you should be comfortable bringing it to Best Buy because they do pledge that they recycle these things in a safe manner.
Speaker 2: So there you have it.
Speaker 1: Let's see Solomon says, I've searched for all of your links trying to find the website for cash App. Where do you post the links to your show notes? Yes, sorry, I didn't mention I typically mentioned where you can find the links for the show notes. It is rich on tech dot TV. You hit the light bulb up at the top of the page and that will bring you to the show wiki. And the show wiki is basically just a list of all of the previous shows by date. This is show number eighty four. Click that and that will give you a list to all the links in real time. So you specifically were looking for that cash app settlement link, it is. It is on there because I keep very good notes, So thank you for that. Eighty eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's go to Michael in Huntington Beach.
Speaker 2: Michael, you're on with.
Speaker 8: Rich Hey, Rich Hey, I got a couple of problems with my almost new Samsung TV. It's the eight thousand series, is left twelve, three years old, and half of the screen is darker than the other half. And it started kind of noticeable, but it's like right smack down the middle on the left side where it's darker than the other half.
Speaker 2: And how can I help? What are you trying to figure out? What you can do? Huh?
Speaker 8: Yeah? I mean, is it fix the ball? Is it? Why is that happening after we had the worst luck with these TVs with I mean, it's only three years old and it's I think it's getting worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it sounds like it's one of the panels is going bad, like one of the one of the back light panels. That's what it sounds like to me. And that could just be that, you know, you got a bad set. It could be something loose in there that you know your TV is obviously out of warranty at this point of course, right, Yeah, So I mean your options are, what do you want to do? Do you want to get a new TV? Do you want to try to fix this TV. You know, did they even have people that come to houses anymore to look at TVs like this?
Speaker 8: Because but I did find a guy like an hour away that said he could probably fix it for a couple of hundred dollars, but there's no guarantee.
Speaker 1: Is that worth it? Though a couple hundred bucks? I mean a new TV? You know, my last TV I bought was like under a thousand bucks, So I don't know if a couple of hundred.
Speaker 2: How much did you spend on this TV?
Speaker 8: It was four fifty and they're still for fifty, so.
Speaker 2: It's four hundred and fifty bucks. Yeah. I would not fix it for a couple hundred that's for sure. I would.
Speaker 1: What I would do personally is I would email Samsung. Have you done that yet?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, So what I would do is fire up chat EBT. Write out your story, like everything that's happening with this thing. Say you know, I've got the panel. It looks like the back light panel is going dead. I've had this for three years. I don't know if you're a good customer of Samsung or not. You can throw that in if you are, help it craft an email like explain what you want, I would like someone to come repair this. I think Samsung does have their own repair so they may just send someone there. I don't know if that's just for their mobile stuff, but I have seen vans around town. I mean it says, let's see benefits. I mean, yeah they do. Yeah, they do have TV repair technicians, so they've got a Samsung has a large network of TV repair So if you go to Samsung dot Com, slash US, Slash Support, slash Service, you can request to repair. That way, I would at least try to get a free repair and see what happens.
Speaker 8: Why not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly why not. But at the end of the day, you know you may have to get a new TV, but you know you might as well go through the motions of trying to get what you can from Samsung. They're a big company. This does not cost them a lot, and it's a learning lesson, like why is this TV only lasting three years? That should not be the case. I've had TVs last a decade or more so for them, you know, by them giving you another model and taking back this one, they can analyze it and see what went wrong with that TV.
Speaker 2: So I think it's beneficial to them.
Speaker 8: Speaking of TVs having a long time, I had a Sony plasma that lasted me fifteen years. Oh yeah, the most beautiful picture you've ever seen in your life. I wish there were still plasmas you could buy.
Speaker 1: Oh you know, Yeah, I have a Sony plasma and it is it is like the single. It's the thing must weigh ten thousand pounds, the problem. But it is absolutely the most beautiful picture. And it's not just beautiful, it's like got a filmic quality to it, like it just it looks like if I was like a filmmaker, this would be the TV that I would watch a movie on because it's so good. I don't use yes, yes, I mean that's plasma, you know, versus h you know, LED and all these new you know, I mean, unless you have an old lead. Obviously those are very expensive, but they you know, I've got the black contrast and that that's much better than the LEDs. But the LEDs have come a long way. When I first switched to mine, I got a new TV. Recently, I bought a High Sense and it at first, yeah, and at first I was I was a little bit skeptical. I got it in, I got it installed, and I was like, ugh, I don't know if I like this as much. And within a couple of weeks we now I love it. I think it's fantastic for the price. I think it was, like I said, I think it was about maybe twelve hundred with tacks and all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: But wow, it was. It was pretty good.
Speaker 8: I asked you one more quick sung question.
Speaker 2: I've got thirty seconds, so make it quick.
Speaker 8: Okay. I've got this thing that happens. It's not a jutter. It's like a jitter on the screen. It's like it's missing one thin pixel line and it'll jump. And it happens on download, or it happens on screaming screaming, and it also happens on UH antenna.
Speaker 2: Is this on?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: This is on your TV?
Speaker 8: It's on the Samsung, same Samsung TV. I've got two hundred up download, great wireless connection, and I can't figure this thing out. I've made every adjustment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think it sounds like you got a lemon there, Michael. I think you gotta press them hard and tell them, look, you know this is not you know you got to you gotta do something here, at least come out and look at it and tell me what's going on, because two things wrong. That's telling me that this thing could be a lemon eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Remember you have the ability to get in touch with these big companies. It does not cost them a lot to help you out. It costs you a lot because it's your money. Does not cost them a lot. Press them, press them, press them. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one, that is eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Website also an option. Just go to rich on Tech dot tv hit contact. You can send an email. That's what Steve did in reference to the Samsung TV. He said, what about an extended warranty from a credit card that's usually included? And uh, I did think of that, but three years old, most of the cards I would say match like a year now. I should have said if if Michael bought it from Costco, because I believe you can return things pretty much, not forever, but I think some in some case as you can. I think for some of the electronics, I know you got to check it out, but Costco has a very lenient return.
Speaker 2: Policy, let's put it that way.
Speaker 1: And these credit cards, I just looked up on the points guy dot com. So USAA matches up to a year Visa infinite, one year visa signature, up to a year chase, up to a year, American Express one year, City two years. Wow, that's impressive. So and it's up to ten thousand dollars per claim for most of these. Now, in my experience, I don't think I've don't think I've ever maybe I tried to do this once and like it's just a nightmare.
Speaker 2: These these these credit cards.
Speaker 1: You know, they post all of these benefits, but when you go to actually use them, it could be a real pain.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, maybe that's just me.
Speaker 1: If you've used one of these like warranty extension things, let me know, But I kind of just imagine that they just they advertise them well, but then when people go to use them, it's like you got to jump.
Speaker 2: Through hoops to use them. But good suggestion there, Steve. Thanks for that.
Speaker 1: Let's go to David in Fontana. David, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 9: Hey, mister Rich, how you doing.
Speaker 1: I am doing excellent. Thanks for asking. What can I help with?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 9: You see, I bought a new iPhone fifteen titanium, okay, And I am a truck driver and I've been using iPhone for several years now, and I use a headset, a blue parrot headset to talk on the phone. Okay, And ever since I bought this new iPhone titanium, everything is just went paywire.
Speaker 7: It doesn't work the.
Speaker 9: I pull into it. It works fine. When I'm driving down the freeway, everything works fine. But as you like, pull into a business, it seems like their Wi Fi or something just blocks everything out.
Speaker 4: And I have a lot of network issues, connection issues with the new iPhone fifteen.
Speaker 9: So I don't know if it's go ahead.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, David.
Speaker 1: When you set this phone up, did you set it up fresh or did you copy everything over from your old device?
Speaker 9: I copied everything over from my old device.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 9: I don't know how Team mobile. I brought it from T Mobile.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I did say everything like you said, yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they oh, they did it for you. They copied it over. Yeah, oh gosh, Okay, that's that's probably what's happening here. So I think what's happening here is that it just was not the cleanest copy. I mean, they're trying to get you out of there as soon as humanly possible, and so maybe they just did, you know, the simplest, quickest, easiest way. So I, personally, when I set up a new device, you just spent a whole bunch of money on a brand new, awesome iPhone fifteen titanium, and so I want to set that up the way I want to set it up, and I want it to be nice and fresh. I don't know what phone you came from, but you know there are some settings and things that were copied over that just might not really work very well on this new device. So what I would do, personally, what I would do if you're having all these problems, I would one hundred percent just format this phone and start fresh. So that means erase all content in settings and literally start over fresh. That's what I would do personally if I was having these issues. If you don't want to go that far, you can kind of reset things without going that far. So if you go into settings and then general, scroll all the way down and it will say transfer or reset iPhone.
Speaker 2: You tap there.
Speaker 1: I know it sounds scary, but you still have a lot of options before you actually do anything. And then it says reset. You tap reset, and then you get a whole bunch of options. It says reset all settings, reset network settings, delete all sims, reset keyboard, reset homescreen, reset location. What I personally might do is start with reset network settings. And what that's gonna do is clear out all of your Bluetooth and Wi Fi and cellular settings on this phone, and it will get them back to factory. And what that means is you're gonna have to reconnect Wi Fi, You're gonna have to reconnect Bluetooth, You're gonna have to restart your phone to get the cellular going again. But it's all gonna work. And I think that you're you know, you're gonna have to reconnect your Bluetooth headset. But I think what's happening here is that some of these old Wi Fi networks that you've connected to. You said you're a truck driver, maybe at some of these like truck stops, your phone is trying to reach out to them and connect to them. And the Wi Fi signal is not very strong in your cab or wherever you are, and it's kind of like teetering between cellular and that, and so it's kind of having trouble keeping that connection. There's also another connection, another cellular set that you can go to inside there used to be inside the cellular. Let me see if it's still there. Yeah, inside cellular. If you go to setting cellular, says Wi Fi Assist, it will automatically use cellular data. When Wi Fi connectivity is poor, you can turn that on and it will automatically use cellular if it's trying to get a Wi Fi signal. That can anyway, David, hopefully get that phone back up and running. Thanks for the call.
Speaker 2: Today. Coming up, I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna tell you how to use your points to plan your travel. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The phone lines open at eight eight eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. We'll get back to them in just a moment. But very excited for my next guest, do you do it for the points. Well, if you do, you probably have a lot of them saved up, and you wonder how can you use them effectively? There's a lot of blogs out there talking about this stuff, but sometimes you just want to figure out, like, how can I use all these points from all these different programs And there is a website that can help. Bart Welch is CEO and co founder of a website called points Yeah dot com This helps you use your points to plan travel. Bart, thanks for joining me today.
Speaker 10: Hey, thanks for having us on. Really excited to talk about Pointsdid dot com and nerd out a bit in this space because it's a space that a lot of people have their fingers in but don't really know how to utilize.
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, look, you can rack up points pretty easily nowadays. I know many people are driven by that, but the most important part is using them and using them effectively.
Speaker 2: So what made you start this website?
Speaker 10: Yes, if I take a look back at the past decade or even a little bit longer than that, the points business used to be a lot simpler in a way. It wasn't as lucrative, but it was simpler. You knew that you had to save up twenty five thousand miles to you know, use a get a round trip metic economy ticket. These days, most the airlines have moved to dynamic pricing. Most credit card companies have their own points programs as well. There are proprietary portals, and you can also transfer your credit card points into airlines, and so it's just become a really complicated, complicated place. And so my co founder and I, we've been in this this party industry for quite some time. More on the earning point side, we said, hey, let's just make something that's simpler so that people just have to use one website to see you know, let's say you've got miles in two or three different airline programs or two or three different credit card programs, rather than having to have multiple tabs open and you know, opening up all these other online travel websites, just one website, and so that's points dot com. So you can basically search twenty different airline loyalty program six bank programs, and five online travel agencies all in one click. So it makes your life a heck of a lot easier.
Speaker 1: Instead of helping, so I see American Expresses on here, Built Rewards Capital One, Chase City Bank, Wells Fargo and the airline programs. I mean it looks like all of the major airlines, plus some of the international airlines, Jet Blue.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a lot.
Speaker 1: So you put in your information, you know where you want to go, and then it searches in real time. What do you get for free versus pakes? I know there's a paid aspect, so explain what people get for free?
Speaker 10: Yeah, So basically the majority of the website is free, and I'd encourage people just to go to Points dot com check it out.
Speaker 2: Register.
Speaker 10: If you register for free, you can do searches for flights, for hotels, for all kinds of other things. We do have a paid model, which is just shied ninety dollars a year. It's still one of the cheapest out there in the markets. That opens up additional alerts, you know, additional being able to search more dates at one time. But the core features are totally free and that's been a huge part of our success. And you know, I'm really proud to say in the last month we've actually become the number one Points planning website on the globe.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, congratulations.
Speaker 1: I Mean, the real magic of this is, like you said, it used to be very simple. You got a certain amount of points, you had a free flight. Now what it really comes down to is how can I get a free flight for the cheapest use or the most effective use of my points?
Speaker 2: Is that kind of right?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I mean you can play that quite a few different ways, because let's say you've only got miles and points with one in one program or one airline. Even within that program, on any given day or given week, you might see the same exact flight for five thousand miles or one hundred thousand miles, because it's tied much more to the price of the actual picket now than it used to be. So that's kind of point number one. Point number two is that you know, if you happen to have miles across multiple programs, you know these programs are competing with each other now on pricing when it comes to miles and points. Miles and points effectively have become a cash currency. In fact, my mom called me up recently. I was like, Hey, I know, you've got a bunch of miles and points, and I was like, Mom, you're basically asking me for money, because you know, loyalty currency is money at this at this stage, of the game, and I always recommend to people it's generally depreciating asset, so you should get on points dot com and use those miles and points.
Speaker 1: Oh so you're saying that you shouldn't just like keep them forever.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think that's that's the worst strategy ever. Actually, over time, the value of mile end point has gone down, and these days, with interest rates being pretty decent and inflation being high, you should be using those miles and points because otherwise it's really a depreciating asset.
Speaker 1: So I got an alert that my Highatt points were expiring, which I was like, oh wow, I didn't even know that, and so I felt so proud of myself. I had booked a hotel for an upcoming stay paid and then I was like, oh, I wonder if there's a Hyatt in there. And I was able to transfer a couple just like a tiny amount of points into my Higatt program and now I got a completely free hotel room on points that we're going to expire. And I didn't even realize I had them, and they weren't that many points. I guess Hyatt points are worth like kind of a lot, even if you have a little so it was like one room was like fifteen thousand points or something.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Hyatt's a great program. I think most you know, most of the hotel chains have great programs, and a lot of these loyalty programs these is they technically don't expire if you've got some kind of activity. That activity could literally be like earn one mile on a credit card or you know, do a redemption for a hotel or a flight. And one thing that we love is that on points dot com you can actually check hotel awards as well. Most websites just focus on flights, but on us, let's say you want to go to New York or Las Vegas or whoever you type in the city. You can even put in your preferred program and then we'll show you, you know, how many points that hotel had cost if you're using miles or points. But then also let's say you don't have enough miles or points. You want to actually pay cash or book on one of the airline reward portals, so we show you all those different options. Really, the purpose offpointsid dot com is to consolidate all these bits and pieces of information that are all over the Internet into one spot, so you don't have to have twenty five tabs open, don't have to have a Google sheet open when you're supposed to be really enjoying the fact that you've earned these rewards.
Speaker 1: Now, I always get the indication that these airlines and hotels they don't want you to use these points. They make it really tough, like you said, to compare and contrast and also figure out your transfer partners. And so how do you get the information behind this? Like do the airlines like let you tap into their systems? Like how do you know when American Airlines has a flight for these twenty five thousand points or whatever you know.
Speaker 10: About I think it was just shive a decade ago. There is some change in legislation in the US where miles and points used to be considered a liability on balance sheets, and now that's considered deferred revenue. And so actually, most these loyalty programs now do have an incentive to get the points off the books because they get to recognize the revenue, and so they have you know, even on their own websites. Made it more transparent and easier. But at the end of the day, these are the companies that are you know, trying to sell flights, trying to sell hotel rooms for you know, the primary focus of their business. So the quality of those tools aren't always the best, and so companies like ours have been able to build tools that effectively create that transparency and create that ease of ease of information. Like one example, on our website, we have this feature called Daydream Explorer, and it's honest to god, I've been in this industry for a long time. It's the coolest thing ever. Where I can put in I'm based in Chicago. I can put in Chicago and I want to go to Asia over these two months. This is the These are the airline programs I'm part of. These are the credit card cards that I have, and it will literally show me all of the options in one go, Whereas that used to take me probably an entire weekend of sitting on my couch trying to figure out, you know, how can I use these miles and points?
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I I just went to this page, and I can tell you guys are true nerds by looking at this page, because it is it is literally every option that you would want, as like a real traveler like I can see you can choose your cabin, the program, the number of seats, how many stops, how many points you want to use, you know, whether you want to go to the beach, family fishing golf. I mean it's really very very thorough, and so you're thinking like in advance of how people would think when they search for this kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: It is very very handy.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 10: What to be rich honestly is we're trying to appeal to like the nerd qualities that myself and my co founder have because we've been in this space for a long time, but then also democratize it for people who don't necessarily understand what a cabin is or cabin frequency is. You know, my mom being the great EXAs, she's got Capital one Point, she's got Southwest Points, she's got American Airlines miles, and she's always reaching out to me saying, hey, Bart, how can I use my miles and points? I said, hey, just go on go on points dot com. You don't need to ask me anymore. It's gonna save me phone calls from mom.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I've heard that before actually from a lot of great ideas come from saving phone calls from parents. And you can focus on actually just chatting with them instead of providing tech support or the Points travel stuff. Bart Welch, CEO and co founder of points Yeah dot com. We're gonna leave it there. Thanks so much for joining me.
Speaker 2: Thanks rich for.
Speaker 10: Having me, and please check out the website if you haven't yet. It's pretty much free.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very very cool. I'll put the link on my website. Go to rich on tech dot tv. If you want to plan travel using and maximizing your Points, just go to rich on tech dot tv. Hit that light bulb icon up at the top.
Speaker 2: This is show number eighty four. You can get a link to Points. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Coming up, I'll tell you why Google is killing the Chrome cast in my Roku is getting into sports. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple A Rich one on one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I just want to bring up Jonathan from a Fountain Valley. You had a comment about the TV warranty.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've used the Costco one before. Yeah, the Costco one is very cheap and inexpensive and it works.
Speaker 2: You're talking to the extended warranty.
Speaker 7: The extended warranty and their credit card one too. And I had I had an issue with with the I think it's all state that handles it, and they want to give me a lower grade television because it had to be replaced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what.
Speaker 7: Ended up happening is talking with the management of Costco. They got on the phone with with with All eight and they got it resolved and they got me They they couldn't replace the exact TV, but what they did is they gave me the amount of money I paid for the TV, which at that point in time was nine hundred and ninety nine dollars and the Coppable TV was like eight hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Now, oh well, going.
Speaker 7: Through Costco, it was just absolutely perfect.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, they just really take take good care of you. So and they're and they're extended warranty, so you can get five years a warranty for like one hundred and fifty to two hundred dollars total.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm looking at their website, so you're right. It's all state protection plans that they do. And then Costco says it extends the manufacturer's warranty on the following items from up to two years from the date of warehouse purchase, so televisions, projectors, computers, and major appliances. So if you're saying they extend the man if they're saying they extend the manufacturers warrant you, Let's say you get a year from the manufacturer, so they'll extend that for another for another year, or for up.
Speaker 7: To another year, another year, the year, or it could be two If I think if you use their credit card, I think it's two years. If you're doing it paying cash forward, then I think it's only one year. But I think if you're using their credit card, it's it's two years. Yeah, but you can get total up to like five years, five years of warranty on the television.
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds like you made out in your in your experience there with getting more than you actually paid for the TV or what you paid for the TV. Then you could buy the new TV for cheaper. Of course, you paid for the extended warranty, so that might have been taken out of that there. But thanks for the call, Jonathan, appreciate it. I'm typically not an extended warranty person, and I'll be honest, I've I've I've talked about this before, but even with my MacBooks. I know, I know Apple, like a lot of their business is apple Care, right, and I get it. They have all these stores everywhere. It's very easy, but I think you have to kind of, you know, do the math on things and see if it's if it's worth it for you. It does give you peace of mind, and I think for a lot of people that peace of mind. You know, you got to put a price on that, you know, it's part of what makes you feel like, Okay, this is great. I remember one time I was in an Apple store. I was buying an iPhone and they said, you want apple Care on this phone. This was many years ago, and I think the Apple Care was like, I don't know, maybe ninety nine bucks whatever it was, And I said, oh, absolutely no, I don't do extended warranties. And then five seconds later I put a case on the table to buy with my phone, and that was fifty dollars. I was like, okay, so I could just get an extended warranty, not by the case, but anyway, I thought that was funny, you know. It's one of those things. By the way, I didn't realize I was kicking a bee's nest last weekend, I went to Costco after the show and I posted on X that I had never seen this before, but Costco is now asking folks to scan their membership card at the door, and I'd never seen that before, and so I took a picture. I posted it to X and next thing, you know, that was like a top story this week because I guess they rolled that out to a bunch of stores all at once, and it's to crack down on you know, membership bandits, so folks that are either using expired cards or folks that are freeloading and using a friend's card. So now they're checking your picture against the picture on the account, making sure that it's you. And it does work with the app, So if you're using the Costco app, which I highly recommend by the way, if you have a Costco card, stop using the actual physical card. Just add the card to the Costco app, so much easier. The only thing I've noticed is that it's a little bit different. Now this is probably not a big issue for most people. It is for me since I switch phones so often, But if you are using the Costco app on your phone, you can only have it linked to like one phone at a time, So just be aware of that limitation because they don't want you installing it on ten different phones because it is an issue anyway. Eighty to eight rich one O one eight eight eight rich one O one is the phone number for the show. So chrome Cast ending production after eleven years. This is one of Google's most successful devices and they are getting rid of it. After eleven years, they sold over one hundred million devices. Now I know this sounds wild. You're like, wait a second, I have a chrome Cast. No, you're gonna be fine. Number one. They're going to continue to provide software and security updates for existing chrome Cast devices for at least a while, and if you have one, you're going to be okay.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing.
Speaker 1: What's really happening here is that Google is understanding that chrome Cast had a great place in time in history. When it first came out in twenty thirteen. This was a small kind of stick that plugged into the back of a TV. And what it did was it allowed you to cast content from your phone, your tablet, or your computer. And this was at a time before TVs were truly smart, and so it was a cheap, simple way to get things from your phone to your TV. And nowadays, of course, this technology is built into a whole bunch of other devices, so smart TVs, you know, you have a streaming stick that you can use. So it's just kind of a sign of the times that we may no longer need to have this Chrome dongle. You can still do it, because it's going to be now now it's all about casting from your device to a TV, you know, using kind of an app or something that's built into the TV. So the good news is that the Chrome cast is going away, but I think the Chrome cast technology is going to stay. And now they kind of call it Google Cast. It's built into many TVs. It's kind of the equivalent of airplay on you know, the Apple devices. And by the way, this week also Google came out with a new Google TV streamer and this is a set top box, So again changing times. They're going from sort of that dongle that lets you add content to your TV in a cheap, fast, simple way to now saying, you know what, I think the streaming box is the wave of the future. Remember Chrome cast when it was a dongle, your phone was the remote control. And now of course we've all moved to kind of either a smart TV or a streaming box. But if you have one of these things plugged into your phone, you'll still be okay. Plugged into your TV, you'll still be okay. Eighty eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. Coming up in the next hour. I got so much feedback about last week's story about the guy who said his Apple Watch saved his life. I'm gonna read so many stories or a bunch of the stories that I got about this, and uh, explain more about it. Eighty eight rich one O one. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. If you want links to think I mentioned, hit the light bulb. If you want to get in touch, just hit contact and yeah, Roku's got a new twenty four to seven free sports channel. I'm telling you, these free channels are all the rage right now. Every single service is doing free channels. It's funny because it was all about streaming, you know, these premium like Netflix and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: But now everyone's doing free.
Speaker 1: Netflix has yet to jump into that, but I have a feeling that they may because people want choice and they want stuff for free. And so Roku now has a Roku Sports channel launching on August twelfth, that's this week and be available for free on the Roku channel in the US. Programming will have live Major League Baseball games, the Rich Eisen Show, Formula eraces, sports themed Roku originals, classic boxing matches, combat sports, high stakes poker, and then eventually they're gonna have the NBA G League games, which I had to look up. I didn't know what that was, but it's I guess it's like kind of a bobo.
Speaker 2: You know what that is? NBA G League Have you heard of it.
Speaker 1: It's like the the developmental league for the NBA teams. So I was looking that up and it's kind of cool. So that'll be on there as well.
Speaker 11: So pretty much like every team has their own development team, So like the Lakers have the South Bay Lakers, Clippers have another team and it's like the team that they developed to try to hopefully bring to the majors.
Speaker 2: So are these like high school kids or college kids or just.
Speaker 1: Anya anyone anyone. Yeah, interesting, very cool. So this will be available through the Roku channels, Live TV guide, and again these free channels. I was on Google TV and they've got like eight hundred free channels and it's just wild. You can watch all kinds of stuff. Some people just like to have the TV running in the background, you know, Like that's how I grew up, just having you know, it's streaming, you have to like decide what you want to watch. But with stream you know, with these fast channels, you can just put them on and they just stay on forever. I mean, Pluto TV's got them and it's really quite interesting to watch this progression. By the way, speaking of streaming, I talked about the Chrome cast going away. Google TV Streamer is what's replacing it. This is a four K box. It's one hundred bucks. It'll be available on September twenty fourth. It's got Ai powered content suggestions, four K HDR, double Vision, Dolby ATMOS. It'll be a matter hub, which means it'll control your smart home devices. It'll have a remote control with a finder button, which means if you lose it in the couch, you can find it.
Speaker 2: This is coming out very soon.
Speaker 1: And my excitement for this is that I can finally set Google Photos for my screensaver because I use Apple TV and as much as I love it, it's clean, it's nice, it's just you know, the asking it for stuff like the audio, like the series is just not very good. Last night I asked for John Candy movies and it was like, sorry, don't know what that means. It's like, how do you not know that? And Google their AI for asking it? Like Google as system is really really good, and I imagine it's even better on this new box. So I'm looking forward to trying this out just for my Google Photos, but of course for everything else. Let's see here, Let's go to David in Trabuco Canyon, California.
Speaker 2: David, you're on with.
Speaker 7: Rich Ye hopefully I've got a quick question for you. A friend of mine wants to use chat GPT. Okay, she's using Android, Linux and Windows systems. Obviously, the Android and the Linux, it's pretty straightforward app download. Windows can't find one. So is there a way around that? Or is there an alternative.
Speaker 2: System for chat GPT on the desktop?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: I would just use the website chat GBT and go from there. And you know, if you're I'm looking at the website right now, it doesn't look like you can install it as like a progressive web app. But I would just bookmarkt and just have it on your on your browser at all times. There is there is a chat GPT desktop app. Let's see if they have it. I know they have it for Mac. I don't know if they have it for Windows. Let's see, okay, chat g Yes.
Speaker 4: According to my I people, they said that it would be available for Windows in November of this year.
Speaker 2: Interesting, I wonder where they're getting that. Maybe it's on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, they Okay, at the at the very bottom of the screen, it does say coming to Windows later this year, so to me that you know, it doesn't say a specific day, but you know later this year. Since we're already in August, I'm guessing you know, probably November December. But yeah, they do have it for Mac os uh and yeah, the Windows one is coming soon. But I would just personally, I just use it. The only thing is it would be nice if you could install it as, like I said, a progressive web app. It looks like mine on claud you can maybe because I'm not logged into chat ebt. It's not letting me have that option. But yeah, that's the probably the best way to do it.
Speaker 2: Just keep it with.
Speaker 7: Nice if you can load it on all the systems. That way, you break off one, you can pick it right up on the other one. So that's the only downside I can see.
Speaker 1: Well you can do that, I mean it'll it'll still continue with your chats. So I'm looking at my side you know, I've got my sidebar with all my chats here, and they're they're they pick up across systems, So as long as you're logged in your your chats should be picked up across all the systems. So it sounds like it's just a temporary issue with the Windows situation. I personally just prefer using it as the web app. I don't really know what the advantage is to the desktop app, except you have a shortcut. You can set a shortcut key to trigger it, which is kind of nice. But I did have it install to my Mac for a while and I kind of forgot about it, and I just I just ended up going to the website when I need it. But personally, I use Claude. I'm not using chat ebt as much as Claude, but I know chat GBT is sort of the proprietary eponym. Right now for all this stuff, Let's go to Louis in Let's see as I think.
Speaker 2: Kim might be on with him. It looks like Louis.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think yeah, I think we're still getting info from Louis. All right, well that's happening. I mentioned that Samsung has a recall Samsung voluntary recall for certain slide in electric model ranges. So these are stoves basically that can apparently catch fire because of the knobs might be activated without you realizing it, so voluntary recall. These are models sold in the US between twenty thirteen and twenty twenty four, so a wide swath of Samsung stoves potential activation of range knobs posing a fire hazard. So Samsung is offering free knoblocks or covers to fix the affected models. Thirty specific model numbers are affected by this recall. I'm not going to read all the numbers, but I'll link them up.
Speaker 2: On the website.
Speaker 1: You can continue to use your range while waiting for the free knoblocks or covers. You do need to provide your fifteen digit serial number to get the free fix. Here, Samsung recommends general safety precautions such as not storing items on the range top and keeping children and pets away from the knobs. The knoblocks or covers should arrive within five business days of completing this request. So the recall remedies provided free of charge, regardless of warranty status. So again you can go to there's a website Samsung dot com. But it's kind of complicated, but I will put the link on my website. Rich on tech dot tv, just hit the light bulb. This is show number eighty four. Look for the Samsung recall information and you can check your model number, see if it's affected, and go from there. Eighty eight rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I mentioned the fit Ace LT. This is the smart watch that Google came up with for kids. I think it is excellent. My kid has been wearing it and testing it, and I think it's fantastic. I would only say my only downside with this smart watch is I don't think it has the strongest antenna for a signal. But I feel like that's a problem with a lot of smart watches, especially the Apple Watch.
Speaker 2: And this one.
Speaker 1: I just maybe they just can't build the same type of antenna that they can on your phone in these smart watches, so I feel like it doesn't pick up a signal as much as some other devices would like a smartphone. But with that said, it does work. It is really nice. It is as advertised, but they have added a couple new features in time for the school year. They did introduce a tap to fay tap to pay feature. But here's the weird thing. It's only compatible with green Light and Go Henry debit cards. Now, I know those are two popular debit cards for kids, but I'm not sure why they didn't just make it compatible with every debit card. But at start it's compatible with those to It also has two new games they added, plus the school time feature, which kind of disables the watch, not disables it, but it makes it so that it's not going to be distracting during the school day. They added a lunch break option, so if your kid has lunch from like, let's say, eleven thirty to twelve thirty in the morning. By the way, I don't know why kids' school lunches are so early, Like my kids are like, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lunch.
Speaker 1: Our lunch is at like ten to fifteen AM. Like what, Maybe it's because you've been at school for so early.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But they added a lunch break option so that you can have your your phone or your watch available during lunch break. Right now, it's got a thirty dollars discount from August eleventh through twenty fifth on the Google Store. You can also buy it at best Buy and Target online in addition to Amazon. When it came out, it was only sold on Amazon and Google. And they're still doing their fifty percent discount on the annual ACE Data pass if you purchase it before August thirty first, So it's a one hundred twenty bucks for the year for the data for this device. If you buy it right now, you'll get fifty percent off, which is sixty dollars. So the neat thing about this fitbit acelte is it has cellular built in so that you can get in touch with your kid anywhere anytime.
Speaker 2: You can call and message them.
Speaker 1: Once again, the biggest downside is that this device is not assigned a traditional phone number, so you cannot just give someone a phone number to call your kid. Let's say Grandma's picking them up from school. Say okay, you can get in touch with Johnny by calling them at their watch. No, you can't do that. They would have to download the fipbit Ace app. You have to add them as a contact, and then they can message and call through the app. It's all done voiceover IP, so it is not a traditional phone number like you would get assigned with the Apple Watch. That is a big delineation between these two devices. Some people may find that that's a good thing because there's no there's no spam because of that. Some people may see that as a downside because it's just a little more hoops to jump through to get in touch with these watches. All right, coming up, a lot of you emailed me about the Apple Watch and the life saving story I shared last week. Coming up, I'm gonna read some of your emails about that. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking Technology website for the show Richontech dot TV. Disney is raising prices once again. They just really must need the money because they have continued to announce price increases for Disney Plus, Hulu and ESPN Plus like clockwork, just like the good old days of cable that everyone was trying to escape. Remember when Disney Plus first launched, it was six ninety nine a month. It was a no brainer, and that included no ads, And that same service now is fifteen ninety nine a month. So prices price increases range from a dollar to six extra dollars a month, depending on what you have. New prices take effect on October seventeenth, and basically Disney Plus with ads is going up two dollars a month. So it used to be eight, now it's ten. Disney Plus without ads is going to increase from fourteen to sixteen dollars a month. Let's see, and just everything just go down the line. If you want to see the full list of price increases, you can go to the show notes. But yeah, I mean, it's just getting to the point where you know, it used to be a no brainer to have these services. Now it's like, Okay, which ones do I want to have? Because I don't know about you, but the last thing I watched on Disney Plus last night was Indiana Jones, the original one from like nineteen eighty something. So they've more than made their money on that and here I am watching it. Oh, I did watch Deadpool and that was pretty good. Bobo likes that. He was that surprised me.
Speaker 2: It was a it took me.
Speaker 1: What when did Deadpool come out? Deadpool the first one came out in twenty sixteen, so it took me eight years to watch that.
Speaker 2: That's not bad. You haven't seen dead Pool overring.
Speaker 1: No, That's what made me want to see it because I'm seeing all the publicity and people love this movie. So I'm like, all right, let me see the original. It's an amazing movie. See what the hype is all about. Hey, you gotta watch part two. I gotta watch part two and I gotta watch So that's probably talk to me in the next like four or five years, and I'll tell you what I think of these things. I don't like you, all right, coming up here, we're going to talk about this. So last week I mentioned we told the story of Peter Moore. This is a guy from Montecito, California, former tech executive. Kind of a big deal actually in the tech world. He was He ran Xbox for a while and a couple other things, but he said that the Apple Watch saved his life. He got this low heart rate notification. Plus he was feeling a little woozy, and he said, you know what, I might want to listen to this thing. His wife brought him to the hospital, got a pacemaker. Within four hours, he had an electrical blockage from his heart, or complete blockage. Anyway, the emails poured in. So I'm going to read some of these emails because so many of you wrote to me. Bev wrote in hey, Rich, I never had one of these devices, but back in March, I took a fall in my garage. I was fortunate that I was able to get myself back in the house. Anyway, after seeing your piece about thirty seconds ago, can you recommend which Apple Watch to get?
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: If you want just the basics for fall detection and the heart rate notifications, the Apple Watch se will be just fine. Otherwise you have the Apple Watch Series eight or nine, which add a little bit more like ECG. And then of course you can get the cellular. Only get the cellular if you are not taking your phone with you. So my recommendation with the Apple Watch or any smart watch, you only need the cellular if you do something that does not require your phone.
Speaker 2: A lot.
Speaker 1: So, for instance, if you run a lot without your phone and he took a fall while you're on a run, you'd still want your watch to be able to call nine one one, so get the cellular in that case. I think it's unag Here in Los Angeles says I saw your piece about the gentleman who's smart watch saved his life leading to a pacemaker implant. I wanted to let you know that a young teen girl experienced something similar. Her parents rushed her to UCLA, where she had a life saving procedure. Interestingly, her father is on the police force and understood the importance of the alert on her phone, making sure she received prompt care. This can make a compelling story, especially highlighting that heart issues aren't just for the aging population. I'm a retired nurse liver transplant coordinator from UCLA and yeah, just amazing a reminder, yes, that these issues don't just happen with the older population. Thanks for that email. Dave from North rich wrote in my Apple watch discovered my a FIBs situation about two and a half years ago. I went to the er immediately spent two days there. My watch showed back to normal at the same time the hospital's monitoring confirmed all was okay. I've been on heart med since I want. I sent a thank you email to Tim Cook and his wonderful reply is hanging on my office wall. Carolyn wrote in this segment with Peter Moore discussing his lightheadedness and life saving smart watch was so compelling, one of those rare radio moments nowadays that stops listeners in their tracks and reminds us why radio, especially AM radio, is to be valued.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Carolyn Ken writes in I saw your show. Apple Watch heart rate data alerted my cardiologist enough to send me to an electro physiologist for a pacemaker. I'm asymptomatic, which caused me not to be concerned. My heart rate rests in the low thirties. I'll have the pacemaker put in shortly. I am a true believer in this device. John from Ladera Ranch writes in I have an Apple Watch an iPhone. I want to get an Apple Watch, especially after hearing the life saving story today. I'm not interested in having cell service with my watch, but I want to use it for blood pressure, steps, heart rate, etc. If I buy an Apple Watch without cell service, we'll it provide those feature.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: I love your radio show. Absolutely it will provide those features. You do not need the cell service again. Only get the cell service if you want your watch to be able to call for help when your phone is not nearby. All right, coming up, we're going to talk to Aptera Motors about their solar electric car. This is rich On Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology. Are you concerned about your data privacy? New survey from US News I thought was interesting. Eighty two percent of Americans concerned about their personal data security online. H Forty two percent use multi factor authentication. That's impressive. I maybe because we're forced to do that so often, but that seems higher than I would think. It's only seventeen percent use a password manager. I think that's going to change in a big way with Apple because they are coming out with a new password app, and I think that that's going to be a big change for that. Eighty nine percent feel confident in creating secure passwords, but only twenty two percent change them regularly. I think if you're creating a secure password, you don't really need to change it. Like at work, I always have to change my password. Why if it's not getting hacked, if it's unique, if it's secure, why do I have to change it? I think that's kind of an old method that we no longer need to do anymore. Fifty five percent reuse credentials across social media platforms. I'm telling you if you do take three takeaways from this show today. Number one, use a strong, unique password for every website. Number two, turn on two factor authentication. And number three, go to a website called Google Results about you and turn that on and you can actually take down some of this personal information for free that's on Google, so that people can't find as much personal data about you. Thanks US News and World Report. All right, joining me now from Apterra. This is a company that is creating a solar car. Solar electric car. Steve, let me turn off my Mike care Steve Fambreau. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 12: Hey Rich, nice to be on. I a big fan of your show and also KFI for many years.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you. Now you're in San Diego, I believe.
Speaker 12: Right, Yeah, Carlsbad just a few miles north.
Speaker 2: Okay, so explain what Aptera is.
Speaker 12: First off, Well, Aptera has a very simple mission. We want to make every journey power by the sun. Right now, we're doing that with our vehicle, the aptera namesake of the company, and it operates like a regular electric vehicle, except it charges itself about forty miles a day just from the sun. So most people with their typical daily commute aren't just gonna they're just not gonna have to plug in the vehicle at all. But you can go up to about four hundred miles on a single charge with the launch version.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, And so where are you at with this car? How far along are you with this?
Speaker 12: We've raised about one hundred and thirty million dollars, We've taken about fifty thousand pre orders, and we've built a bunch of pre production prototypes and we're starting our validation builds right now of production intent vehicles. That's happening now through the end of the year, and then starting early next year, we'll be building the first production vehicles in very very low volume, about fifty vehicles before the first half of the year. But some of those will actually be sold to a customer.
Speaker 2: And what is the price going to be for a car like this?
Speaker 12: These vehicles are configured with options and full solar, they're running about forty plus thousand dollars. But for that you're getting forty miles of free charging a day, plus about four hundred miles range, a brilliant performance, a very good power to weight ratio, and of course the carbon composite structure that's never going to rust will offer decades of long service.
Speaker 2: Now, were these two seater four seater?
Speaker 12: Yes, two seaters side by side with about one thousand liters of cargo sping. So if you take like my other ev as a Chevy bolt, So if you fold down the back seats in the bolt, it's like the same size as the Aptera. You know, it's two people can get a bunch of luggage like check luggage and carry on and everything else in the back of it.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because when I talk about electric cars, and obviously there's a lot of chatter about these things in California. They're very popular. People like them. I drive one. I've had no problems in three years with it. Obviously, you know, there are some trade offs, you know, you have to think about when you take road trips and things like that, Like there is a little bit more planning and you know, but overall it's really really an exciting experience. But people always say, like what about solar? What about solar? So can you capture that much sun from the roof of the car, And what do you have to do to lead event like in the sun. What about people that don't live in a sunny area.
Speaker 12: These are all great points, especially about electric vehicles in general. You know, even with just to follow on that point, even with gasoline cars, you know that there's no one vehicle that anybody wants. You know, my dad will never give up his diesel pickup truck because he pulls a horse trailer. And so even though he thinks it's cool that the son started a car company and he wants one. But in terms of solar, just putting solar cells on a regular electric vehicles not going to help that much because those most evs are pretty inefficient by app Terra standards. They're heavy and they have high aerodynamic resistance. Because app Terra is so efficient, it's so lightweight, such low drag. The solar that we do put on the vehicle can have a meaningful impact because our rate of consumption is about one hundred hours per mile, which is very low. It's lower than anything on the road, but that we collect about four kilo hours over the day, a peak of about seven hundred watts, you know, let's say around noontime, So over the whole day about four kilod hours. And part of our intellectual property is, of course, how do you bend and make solar panels that are curved and form the exterior, you know, aero panels to the body, but also the high voltage electronics that have to operate very efficiently to put that energy back into the high voltage battery. So over the period of a day, you'll collect about four kiloded hours, which is about forty miles. Now for those people that don't park in the sun, or they have to park in a garage or something like that, all that means is that they're at Terra is still going to charge faster than a regular EV. You won't have to install a level two charger at home. You can just plug it in the wall and a regular one to ten socket and you'll get about one hundred and thirty miles overnight. Because a battery pack is so small by comparison, So if you can't park in the sun, yeah, that's unfortunate because we want your journey to be powered by the sun. If you live in a cloud place, you're going to get fewer miles per year. But the solar cell technology is improving every year. The light weightness is getting better in the vehicle, so we think, you know, we're going to go from forty miles to fifty miles to seventy. You know, our goal is to make the whole journey powered by the sun one day.
Speaker 1: And how you know, is anyone else doing this? Like are you know, we see all these big companies are getting into electric, but it seems like solar is kind of like a very far off kind of idea. But you guys say you're doing it, Like it's this car powerful?
Speaker 2: Like is it? You know?
Speaker 1: Obviously your dad's not going to pull the crate behind it or the horse carriage. But you know what, what's the deal with this car when it comes to like power? Like, am I going to give up anything with this?
Speaker 12: Well, you could give up your license if you get caught because it goes that fast. You know, it's got one hundred and fifty kilowatt's peak power about two innre horse power, weighs less than two thousand pounds. So it drives like what you would consider a sports car. It's very very spirited, very fun to drive. Many electric vehicles are like that today though, Yeah, so this would be on par with that experience. Sorry, what was your well.
Speaker 2: I'm curious.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you know we've seen like even with like Rivan some of these other car companies. You know, people are hesitant to get these startup cars because repair and like, you know, if you need something done, like how you know, you've got to build out this huge nationwide infrastructure of you know, repair places, and how do you know what happens if something goes wrong?
Speaker 2: Like can you address some of that? I'm curious.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's a really great point, and I think it's one of the key differentiators that all electric vehicle companies are are starting to realize. The dealership model in modern automotive sales is the revenue model is on service, and electric vehicles just don't have service. You know, the service is extremely deminimous compared to a gasoline car. So really, if if you think about it at a high level, there's no revenue model for any dealership in an electric vehicle ecosystem. So then what do you do. Well, Luckily, there are already partner folks out there who have deployed mobile service quite well, quite successfully for all kinds of vehicles, and we're talking with several of them right now, and we believe our plan is going to involve one of these existing partners who will, with our materials and with our training and with our parts, be able to go and do that kind of service on an app terra okay, without us having to build out that network.
Speaker 2: Got it.
Speaker 1: And I will say for my car, like the except when someone hit it, which was expensive, that was not my fault, there's been almost zero service charges whatsoever. I do have to replace the tires, but that's basically it. I mean, I've only replaced the cabin filter twice over three years.
Speaker 2: And that's it. This car is going to be. You're going to have one of.
Speaker 1: Your prototypes showcased at the Pebble Beach.
Speaker 2: Tell me about that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so that's gamma. That is are it's it's so we have alpha, beta, Gamma, and then production. And we're not really showing the alphas anymore because they're they're long in the tooth, they're smaller, they're not representative. Of what we're making. Gamma is actually a near production interior but on a beta body, so it's a little bit bigger. It's one of our most it's our newest sort of prototype or press vehicle, if you will. Although it's over a year and a half or so old. It's been all over the world. I just got back from the Yaz track in Abu Dhabi. It's it was in Switzerland last year driving around in the snow. That vehicle is going to be at Pebble Beach and it's it's highly representative of the size and interior of the production vehicle.
Speaker 1: All right, And that's happening during the weekend of August seventeenth and eighteenth. If you want to check it out. What's the website for APTERAF Steve.
Speaker 8: Attera dot us.
Speaker 12: You can read everything about us. You can get in the waiting list, so people ahead of you, but you can find everything you want to know there.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Steve Fambrou from Aptera building a solar car there in Carlsbad. Thanks so much for joining me today. Appreciate it.
Speaker 12: Oh my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Rich, Thank you. All right.
Speaker 1: This is probably something I would have imagined as a kid, you know, we went from gas to electric solar maybe flying as next.
Speaker 2: Very very exciting. Good luck there.
Speaker 1: Coming up, we are going to open up the feedbag and get some more of your emails to the show you are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology the website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. Jim Rode in interesting that the ap Terra interview never corrected you to say that Aptera is not a car, it's a three wheeled motorcycle. I'm sure he did that intentionally. People will not be quite as interested in this vehicle and they know it's not a car. He always carefully called it a vehicle and never referred to it as a car to keep things legal, I'm sure. Anyway, great show as always, Jim, Ah, good, good point, Jim. That is uh, yes, that will limit the appeal of this for sure, solar electric vehicle. But then again, you know, I've done a lot of stories with these kind of funky alternative cars and things vehicles. I guess you can call them, and you know, people there was one what was it called the solo that one tried to anyway, people people love the idea of all these things, it takes.
Speaker 2: A while for them to actually happen. Sometimes.
Speaker 1: Let's get to the feedback. Rich on tech dot TV hit Contact. John from Newport Beach wrote in about the AI discussion on last week's show, We're already seeing massive job losses and positions being replaced by AI and fields like marketing, sales, content creation, computer programming, and recruiting. AI is consolidating workforces, so instead of having ten people in each of these positions, a company might only need three. Of course, the best workers will master AI, but will need fewer of them. Overall, this is already happening. We haven't even seen the beginning of it. Just wait until AI gets really good. It's still in its early stages. Think about that. Thanks John from Newport Beach. That is very true. We are just in the beginning stages. We had a lot of emails about the MV and O discussion last week. Randolph writes in Rich, great show. Never miss it. When you've covered travel roaming issues. To avoid charges, you always say, turn on airplane mode and turn off roaming. But how do you always add? But you always add make sure your apps do not download upload How do you do that. Do you have to go into each app individually and do something?
Speaker 2: Thanks? Yeah, that is basically what you have to do at this point.
Speaker 1: There may be some programs that you can use to restrict maybe on Android, like the upload and download. But if you just go into your main offenders, like the major apps like Netflix, anything that's streaming video, anything that's streaming music, anything that's uploading or backing up, turn that off on cellular. Make sure it's not using cellular to do that, and you should be okay. But yes, it's a manual process. Sean writes in I'm sure you figure it out, but red Pocket actually lets you choose from AT and T, Verizon or T Mobile. You stated it only works on Verizon. Okay, good to know there. Warren writes in, Hey, Rich, I enjoy your show, appreciate your tech assistance. One MV and O I did not hear you. Mention which I've used for many years is ting they can use both Verizon and T Mobile networks. I recommend TING to my friends, but most still go with the main carriers. That's what my mom said last week after she listened to the show, and she said, you know, I tell all my friends about Mint Mobile, and they still want to stick to, you know, their main carriers. They said, you know what, they're lost. They're they're losing the money. Andrea from New Orleans rights in. US Mobile very recently started giving customers the ability to switch between their GSM, T Mobile, Verizon and AT and T networks on the fly as often as you like. It's free for some plans, with a two dollars charge for others, though, I think everyone gets too free switched US Mobile. Don't discount them. They're a great MV and O. I've tested them before, and yes, they give you a choice of networks. I didn't know you can switch on the fly. That's interesting. Joe from Scranton writes in Rich, I heard you give advice to a caller from law enforcement who wanted a point and shoot camera for vacation. I'm wondering why you didn't simply suggest using a spare phone, either iPhone or Galaxy. Doesn't have to be the primary nor does it even need to have service. All they need to do is keep the camera app open and would essentially be point and shoot. Wouldn't that be a good solution? Yeah, you know what, not a bad idea. I actually did not even think about that because he said he wanted a camera, not a phone, and so typically I use that as the queue for my answer. But you're right, just use an old phone, don't hook it up to service, and there you go. Stuart from Poughkeepsie rights in, when you mentioned Firefox, I wanted to share that I use Mozilla Firefox on my Windows XP pro ps. I'm enjoying your three hour program. Well, thank you, Stutu from Poughkeepsie, appreciate that. Jonathan writes in I heard you recommend a Jackerie power station to a listener last week and wanted to point out that the Jackery power stations use lithium ion batteries, which is considered by many to be quote old tech. I would suggest people go with power stations that use life PO four batteries, such as those made by Ecoflow. Jonathan, do you work for Eco Flow? Just making sure. Jonathan Joseph writes in he heard me struggle with torque and he's explaining it. The torque measurement is a two dimensional assessment of engine performance. It's measured in feet for length and pounds for weight to gauge the engine's ability to turn or crank the pistons. The measurement is commonly referred to as torque in foot pounds.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Joseph am Rik am Emeric from Porter Ranch writes in Hey, Rich, I always try to catch you with Bill handle and on the weekends. Love your show and cool talking points. Thanks for making tech fun and educational. This last weekend, you mentioned how Ford is offering over the air performance upgrades for the Machi. While that's cool, you didn't mention that Tesla's been doing this for several years. Yes, I know, Tesla, Tesla, Tesla. I appreciate that. You know, sometimes people don't want to hear all the time Tesla this, Tesla that. But yes, they have done over the air upgrades as well. And Carolyn Rode in love the variety of your bumper music last week. Your mom is the best. Never would have expected to hear the intro to Thank You by led Zeppelin, but to put a huge smile on my face. So please thank your mom for including that in the great playlist. Yes, and thanks to Mom again this week for the playlist. Appreciate it. That's going to do it for this episode of the show. You can find links to everything I mentioned on my website. Just go to richon Tech dot TV can find me on social media. Be sure to follow me on Instagram X and Facebook at rich on Tech. Next week I am headed to the Google Pixel Event. I will have all of the updates from Google's latest event with all of their new phones. Very much looking forward to that. Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. Bobo, Kim, Bill, Julie, who else my mom this week, Tanner for the song, and you, of course you you make this all possible.
Speaker 2: My name is rich Dmiro. I will talk to you real soon