Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Let's go. Are you ready for a break? Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 4: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com right with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us, Nick Harris and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 5: It is Wednesday, October twenty third, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number fifty three. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are live from that s WBC Mortgage studios at the start, and we're presented by LG. LG's the world's number one OLED TV brand for eleven years in counting see why at LG dot Com. Forward slash O led Evo. Welcome to show, everybody.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, Amber, We'll see you here.
Speaker 6: I missed y'all.
Speaker 3: Did you get in?
Speaker 7: Just kidd in.
Speaker 3: We got a lot we're gonna get into today.
Speaker 5: We will start our breakdown of Cowboys versus forty nine Ers. Brian will have his breakdown of the forty nine Ers offense versus the Dallas defense. Will talk some about the Dallas defense in some of the areas where they're going to have to.
Speaker 3: Improve in order to get a win this weekend.
Speaker 5: Let's start first though, with this, I guess the bigger picture look at this matchup between the Cowboys and forty nine Ers. Dallas has now lost the last three times they've played them. Two out of the last three that they lost were games that they played in the playoffs, So it stings a little bit more because the forty nine ers have ended their season in those two years they did.
Speaker 3: They lost the last two.
Speaker 5: Times they've played in San Francisco, and the last time they beat the San Francisco forty nine Ers in twenty seventeen, that was a drubbing forty to ten. That was twenty seventeen. So that being said, do you guys think that this has become a mental challenge for the Cowboys as much as it is physical.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that's pretty bad.
Speaker 8: I would, Like I said yesterday, this team has been kind of the Cowboys boogeyman over the course of the last few years. Definitely during the Mike McCarthy era. This is as much of a mental challenge as it is a physical challenge for this team, in my opinion, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think so when it's one of those things when you kind of you feel like your roster is really really good till you play these guys and then you realize your roster might not be as good, and you're always trying to kind of get to that level. I think Will McClay and those guys here have done a good job of understanding how to win their own division, building a teams that can handle what you do with Philidel for the Giants and the Commanders. The problem is, though, then you go and play some of these other teams. You now play Detroit, you now play San Francisco, It's a totally different beast and the way that they attack you, the way they do it with formations, the way they do it with personnel. Done a great job with just their roster when you feel like you match up well in certain areas and there's others that you're completely, you know, undermanned at So they're very, very difficult. Since Kyle shanahan and John Lynch have come on board there, they've gotten so much better with their roster but also the depth of their roster as well in order to combat you who you know, a lot of teams a lot of personal guys around the league. I know my Gang of Seven always talk about the Cowboys roster, but man, it's a really difficult matchup when they go up against the forty nine ers because there's things that they can neutralize of yours, and then there's a couple of different areas that they're just better at than you.
Speaker 6: I will say more physical, more in the physical part of things rather than mental, because I would imagine with the mental aspect, if anything, you're more pumped up, you're more mad, you're more eager to go out there and beat these guys and shut them up, and it hasn't been the case. You kind of just it's kind of how the Cowboys look when they get to the playoffs. They just kind of you know, there's talent there, but for some reason, the level just drops off and it kind of disappears and it's not present. So I don't know what to tell you at this point, because going back to last year and the current state of the team of the Cowboys at the time that they've faced the forty nine ers, I truly believe that that was going to be the time that they finally beat them, and it wasn't the case. And right now the team, in my opinion, is way lower the level that they're playing this year right now compared to what it was last year. So I don't know how you go into this game mentally and physically ready to compete against them again.
Speaker 5: I want to go back, Brian, you said something I thought was interesting about them building the team, Yeah, to play the NFC East. What are some of the things that you can see about the seamen and how maybe they're constructed to be able to win in the NFC East that may be glaring problems when you face teams like San Francisco, Detroit, other teams outside the division.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, there used to be a time where, you know, with with Philadelphia, and now it's now it's not so much Well, they're they're getting back to their ability to run the football. You know, with say Kwon Barkley, you were built to be able to stop, to put pressure on teams. You were built to you know. The Commanders. The Commanders are another team in the in the division that to me have gotten better just because of the quarterback, you know, and then their skill guys. Their skill guys have always been good. They just never had a quarterback and then the Eagles, on their hand, they've kind of always tried to build the running game and really haven't got it going other than the quarterback being the main the quarterback being a runner, some of the backs, I mean, they've had some good backs, but they now have a back that can legitimately take a game over. So your team is built to like get a lead, put pressure. You've always been able to kind of play Philadelphia well, get ahead of them, play with the lead. It's real hard this season for Dallas to play with the lead. And so that's where I felt like though in this division, when they do get a lead, then they could stick that pass rush on you. And that's where they've had success against the Giants, getting after Daniel Jones, getting after whoever's played quarterback with Commanders, you know, and now it's a different story we'll see. And then also with Jalen Hurts, you know, I think you know, if you talk about huge moves that were made, getting Saquon Barkley gave Philadelphia that power running game that they've been looking for that matches with their offensive line, and it's helped their quarterback. It's taken their quarterback out of harm's way. Of having to make plays. So, you know, Dallas has yet to show that they could play with a team that has a power type of running game. Now, Pittsburgh ran the ball with volume, but their line and their backs probably not you know, good enough. They just run it to try and help a young quarterback. Philadelphia. Now the Commanders, they run it because they've got the ability to do it and with the personnel.
Speaker 5: When they've played premier runners this year, it's not been good. I think that's that's kind of the point of that in Sa Kwon Barkley certainly showing this year that he is a premier runner. I guess if you believe in any way that the mental is a part of this, what do you think has to be the message from Mike McCarthy to his team this week to get them ready and prepared to go and play a San Francisco team that's had their number for the last few times.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's still eleven on eleven. It's still you know, what they've been preparing for the whole season. I think I think last year you kind of saw the mental ramifications of this matchup really come to a forefront. Yeah, and it kind of snowballed there in the second half, and that's why it ended up being what it was. I think if you play that game later in the season after the Cowboys, it kind of figured out a lot of things that I don't I'm not saying they would have won, but I don't think it would have forty two to ten. It would have been a much more competitive contest. But I think looking at it this year in the twenty twenty four vacuum, they are battling injuries. Cowboys are battling injuries. They have had some inconsistent Siaeson to start the season, So of the Cowboys, I mean, there's a lot of parallels between these two teams right now. It's not the daunting task that maybe it was in the last couple of years. But even if it was that daunting task, it's still eleven on eleven. It's all about the preparation they put in during the week, which obviously has been under a microscope these last few days, and they'll see how they how they take it to take it to Sunday in the Bay.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What's really funny is when I really started to dive in watching the tape and then looking at some of the metrics, and things. You would not believe this, but Dallas and San Francisco are the two top teams in the league when it comes to tight window throws. You would think the forty nine Ers with all the motions and things that they have, But I think the Cowboys and the forty nine ers receivers are very similar in the way that they don't have game breaking type speed. You know, they have guys that are really good at you know, when the catch and stuff like that. Some run after catch, but when it comes to you know, this is a team that usually will punish you with run after catch, not only averaging four four point four yards per you know, run after catch and so our yards after catch, and it's and they usually lead the league in this, and this year they have it. They're near the bottom, you know, And that's something that we're not accustomed to seeing from a San Francisco team. It's always been routes, run after catch, routes, run after catch. I haven't seen that this year when you watch their tape and you know, and and they're also they're not separating from people and that's been a little bit of a problem for uh for for brock Party. And we'll get into that. I mean, this guy, he will hold the football. The problem is can your pass rush get home on this guy when he holds the ball. Kansas City was able to do that to him, and that and that's something and that's and that's something that Dallas will have struggles with.
Speaker 6: Well, for me, it's very hard to have this conversation. Tried to answer your question, Derek, because currently I see this team having so many like the issues go far beyond the mental part of things, and it goes way further beyond on whoever the opponent is. Like this is like it doesn't matter who the opponent is. The Cowboys have been struggling this season so far. It just makes it worse that you're about to face the forty nine ers that tend to I'm trying to find the proper word, but beat you basically.
Speaker 3: Use yes.
Speaker 6: Yes, there are just so many underlying issues that need to be fixed, and it's just how do you do that in just a bye week? How do you turn things around? And I think that the Cowboys can potentially start turning things around at some point in the season because I do believe there is talent. The team has talent here both on the offense and on defense, it just has been working out. Maybe there is a point where McCarthy now he took this time during the bye week to analyze the play call in and maybe change things up with the scheme and position their players in a better way and maybe potentially start running the ball some more. But there's just so many unknowns that it literally, to me doesn't matter who we're facing this week.
Speaker 5: But you know, I will say this, and I think I'll use Mazi as a good example microcosm of what this team is. There have been moments this season when we said, oh, wow, that's really good play right there, right, And I think that's the same thing for this team, which says to me they're capable.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 5: The question is can they consistently put forth that same effort that we've seen them do in moments when they've looked good, when moments when they've been able to stop the run, in moments when they've been able to run the ball, in moments when they've been able to make big plays like all these things we've seen them do in spurts this season, we haven't seen them consiststantly do it really even for an entire game.
Speaker 3: So that's where I say, that's why he's a frustrated right, But that's.
Speaker 5: Also my point of that's where I look at this and I say, this is in some respects a mental thing of challenging these players to say, can you put together a game of what you've done in spurts throughout the season.
Speaker 2: Do you think the Dallas Cowboys trouble in the red zone is mental or physical? Because that's where they're getting killed right now? That quarterback offensively now, quarterback can't complete any passes in the red zone. They can't run the ball in the red zone. Mental or physical.
Speaker 7: I don't have any red zone personnel.
Speaker 8: I mean, who on the roster do you feel like it is like a comfortable red zone target.
Speaker 2: I kind of felt like that maybe that Ferguson was a red zone target. Yeah, I felt like that Ceed Lamb when Cooks was healthy. I felt like that was a guy because I sat there and watched practice after practice and watched them run two point plays and create opportunities for him. I've seen Hunter Lipkey with a red zone screen, you know, I've seen yeah in the red zone. Yeah, So I wonder is this a mental or physical thing? Because this is right now. In my opinion, you could talk about we could talk about run defense all you want. Their inability to score in the red zone consistently is killing them in these games. Yeah, and we all love Brandon Aubrey, you know, congratulations making field goals being being up three to nothing and then down seven three, and then down fourteen to six, and then down twenty one to nine, and you know that that's not getting it done. That's just not getting it done. So to me, I'm trying to figure out is it scheme, is it personal? Is it the offensive line? Is it the quarterback? Is it the receivers? You know, they have a disconnect problem now in the red zone.
Speaker 8: Next to last in the NFL thirty seven point five percent of the time they are scoring touchdowns in the red zone.
Speaker 3: And I want to say San Francisco is not much better than that.
Speaker 7: Twenty or seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're not performing in the red zone either.
Speaker 5: But to answer your question, and Brian, it goes back to what I just said about the about the idea that we've seen them do it in spurts, and that's where I'm like, y'all got to figure this out to do it consistently. Because trust me, I sit next to this one in the press box a lot. And if you want to get no sorry Amber, you want to get her upset, run run Aubrey out there when you're in the red zone for another field goal, and she's gonna be like, why can't they get an end zone? Like, I think it's a it's a very it's a problem that we all see.
Speaker 3: It's very apparent.
Speaker 5: But I also think that there are, as you just said, there are players we've seen them be able to be productive.
Speaker 3: In the red zone. For some reason, they're not able to do it consistently.
Speaker 5: And that says to me, either they're not having the right kinds of plays that fit what they're trying to do.
Speaker 2: Owner came out and said that basically, I mean, he hinted to it.
Speaker 3: He said, he said, there are lots of problems, and that was part of it.
Speaker 2: And if you if you said, if you said, where's the biggest to me? Moving the football? It's a struggle. But when they get inside the twenty, it is like they have no idea of what their plan is to move the ball down there? Agree, and I have no execution of a plan that and it's it's kind of a It seems very grab baggie, and I know that's a terrible way to describe an offense, but there's teams that you see that have rhythm and understanding and Okay, once we get down there and how we're gonna go into this mode. We're gonna run it this way, We're gonna throw it this way. We're gonna create picks and opportunities and separation. It's like it's like you hit that wall at the twenty just to be like, like me calling place like there's no why, I mean, why why why did you do that? You know? So I that that to me is a huge, huge problem.
Speaker 3: All Right, we're gonna take our first break. We're gonna come back.
Speaker 5: We're gonna dive into the San Francisco offense back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure. And he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 11: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 2: The Jack Black Playmaker is four.
Speaker 11: Of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the ode Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 12: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five oil change. A proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out.
Speaker 2: Of your car.
Speaker 9: You can take advantage of take.
Speaker 12: Fives, stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five, you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 13: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stay in tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Starn Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com.
Speaker 7: Lucasey the official boot.
Speaker 13: Of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 14: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yeti Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetie dot com. Check it out today. Yeti Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Back to the Break, lgoled evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital Trends said the LGOLEDG four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See for yourself at LG dot com slash oledevo.
Speaker 3: Welcome back. It is the second segment of the Break live.
Speaker 5: From the SWBC Mortgage studios at the Star. It's our time now to jump in. Oh. This segment's brought to you by Blockchain. All right, so, Brian, let's talk about the San Francisco offense. I want to start with Brock Purdy. Yeah, there was an interesting thing that jumped out at me as I was looking at his stats. So far this season, he has nine touchdowns and seven interceptions.
Speaker 14: Ye.
Speaker 5: Last year, for reference, you have thirty one touchdowns and eleven interceptions, a much lower clip when you think about percentages or ratios touchdowns. The interceptions. Why are there so many turnovers this year versus last year?
Speaker 2: Well, if you watch the Kansas City game, one of the he loves to throw the ball at intermediate routes, and the intermediate routes are like that ten to nineteen yard range. So they like to attack the middle of the field. And the way that Kansas City affected him and this is Kansas City had a turnover. They get in a single high look and what they're trying to do, Dallas has got to be every team that plays I should say Dallas has to be ready this week, but every team that plays the forty nine ers has to be ready for the tight end delay and then run route. They kill you. They kill you with the Okay, we're gonna block. You know we're gonna block Kittle. He's a count one town, two count. Now he takes off running in a route. What happens is that like teams like the Chiefs have kind of figured out though, if you follow Kittle, if you play the middle, if you're if you're a defense that plays well in the middle of the field. Cleveland did it last year. Jim Swartz did it last year against him with the Cleveland Browns. We talked about Robert play with the guy at two level safeties, play there in the middle, play one short, keep the crossing routes. What'll happen is that that that that party is so conditioned at throwing the ball in the middle of the field that sometimes he'll just throw it and he'll he'll think, Oh, Kittle's there, Ayuk's there, Samuel's there, somebody's always Jinny's Someone's always going to be in the middle of the field. So he will throw balls that he has no business he's throwing to a spot. And last week what Kansas City did to him is single high safety. When Kittle crossed, they drove the safety down and were able to kind of disrupt the crossing routes but also get the be able to pick balls off that way down in the red zone. He had a tip ball. Just you know, he gets pressure. He feels pressure. No quarterback, I said, no quarterback. He is when you look at him, and I was wondering this because you watch the tape. He holds the ball. He holds the ball. He holds the ball. At times he does a good job of holding the ball and making something happen and allowing things to open up and making the play. But a lot of his mistakes come from hold the ball. Hold the ball, hold the ball, and now he's not on a base, he's not comfortable, and he throws the ball. He's off balanced, there's not a lot on it. There's a tight window throw like we talked about earlier, and then the ball's picked off. But he's going to hold the ball. He's not interested. In most quarterbacks they talk about that two point five. In his head, he's like three three one three. You know, he's standing there and he's averaging three point two. Yeah, he is waiting, but his numbers. A lot of quarterbacks, if they're numbers that they if they hold the ball along time, it's usually going to be a throwaway or something bad. With him, it's not that way. But the majority of his interceptions have been with him holding the football and then teams finding ways to drive on those intermediate routes, which he has thrived on in his career.
Speaker 7: A couple of points I have to back that up.
Speaker 8: I think Party is just trying to overcompensate for the lack of health and the skill group, and when you look at what he's trying to do when he's pushing the ball further than fifteen yards downfield. There's no rhythm, there's no timing because it's in the game against the Chief specifically, it's guys like Jacob Cowing, Ricky pier Saw. I mean, these guys are really banged up in the receiving corps. And then if Samuel and or Kittle cannot go on Sunday, then that's just going to add to it. I put that only Kittle should scare you more than fifteen yards downfield. I think anybody else that the timing is not there, that the rhythm is off with that offense. And you talked about that safety kind of creeping from the top. That's how led to that. Justin Reid interception early in the Kansas City game, just a product of him being in the area and party not anticipating him being there. But you also talk about him holding onto the ball quite a bit when Case dialed up the pressure, Perdy was awful and that's what they did. That's what they threw at them. That's what SPACs threw at him early in the game. And I believe right before that final scoring drive in the first half, so it was about three minutes left in the first half, he was roughly about two for eight for thirty yards in an interception.
Speaker 7: I mean, he was awful, real quick.
Speaker 5: When you said they threw pressure at him, was it a four man pressure or were they blitzing him?
Speaker 8: It was a little bit of both, and it was just when over the pressure was getting home necessarily, and when Party is pressured, he has a negative seventeen point five EPA expected points added, which basically just kind of adds to you know, it's a statistic towards the offensive success. When he's not pressured, it's plus forty three point seven. That's a sixty point two EPA difference. Wow, that is unreal. So, I mean, if you want to get to party, if you want to affect Party, get the pressure on him, which if you don't have a guy like Michael Parsons in this game, let's tough.
Speaker 6: So I was gonna ask you, guys, do y'all feel like currently the teams the Cowboys going into this weekend, do they have enough to create those kinds of pressures.
Speaker 8: The one guy well that I think needs that has the potential to get home, The one guy that I think has the potential to get home against.
Speaker 7: This offensive line.
Speaker 2: You think it's Henry.
Speaker 7: I think it's o'dige Zula.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because yeah, because what's happened. Aaron Banks at guard is not very good.
Speaker 8: And Jake Jake Brindle as well. I mean these guys are I sores at center.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See the thing the thing that I noticed the left side of their offensive line. I felt like even with Trent Williams, Trent Williams has giving up some pressures. He's given up a couple of sacks.
Speaker 3: That's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Aaron Banks has struggled a little bit. You think it's mckivitz on the right side, that would be the guy that you would attack, but Kivitz is actually playing well. They've had a little bit of a situation with Dominic Pooney playing some guard. I don't know if he's gonna start good. I'll say that, yeah, Pooney just look good. And I don't that Spencer Buford used to be the guy that played there. I think they're gonna go with with with Poony in this game. But the number sixty five Banks is the one that struggled with pressure one on one. That to me, and if like I say, Trent Williams as greate as trit Williams has been it looks like there's a little bit of some slippage in his play. But I would I would try and attack the left guard spot. But you mentioned that, uh you know.
Speaker 8: I mentioned because of Brendel. I know there was multiple opportunities in one on one the center Brindell was getting pushed back into party and it was affecting that. Chris Jones had a hell of a game in that. In that with Kansas City, you.
Speaker 5: Wish he had Christian I was gonna say Chris Jones holding from beast, But I will say this, I don't have much faith in the fact or what I've seen so far that a four man pressure that the Cowboys can get four men pressure. I really think if they're gonna get pressure on him consistently, they're gonna have to bring it from a lot of different places. They're gonna have to blit some linebackers. The're gonna have to bplit some safeties, They're gonna have to blit some cornerbacks. Like I think they're gonna have to do other things in order to get them off because I don't think there is a or at least I'll put it like this, I have not seen anybody that currently is projected to play if if Parsons doesn't that that would necessarily be able to have that. I have confidence in that they can get pressure one on one or even if they're facing a double team.
Speaker 8: Obviously, I will say the bright side of what the San Francisco offensive line, or at least what I've seen from them early on this season, is it's not really a complex It's not a complex thing that they try to do. Remember, they're polling guys. They do not have success pulling guys. And there was one play in the Kansas City game where they were trying to pull the left guard you said, Banks and the tight end Eric Saubert, who was in this building for a little bit last year. They tried to pull them both to the right side to clip off Carloftis, and Carl Loftis just ran right around them, wasn't even touched and got to perty.
Speaker 7: So I mean there's.
Speaker 8: Multiple instances of them trying to pull guys and it just not working. So it's not like this depth unit for the Cowboys pass rush is going to see anything too complex.
Speaker 7: They just need to get home. I think there's gonna be.
Speaker 8: A lot of one on one opportunities, but you just have to see as time goes on.
Speaker 3: Let's talk to talk about Jordan Mason.
Speaker 5: He right now is has six hundred and sixty seven yards on the season, a five point two average per carry, ninety five yards per game on the ground. He is coming well for them in the absence of Christian McCaffrey. What does he do well and what are the things at Dallas or what can Dallas do to maybe slow him down?
Speaker 2: Okay, San Francisco's running game is going to come from underneath center. Okay, and you've played this will be the fourth team. You've played three other teams that play under center more, you've played the Lions, You've played the Ravens, and you've played the Lions. What's all the common thread there?
Speaker 7: Saints?
Speaker 2: Sorry, Saints, not the Saints. Yeah, the Saints.
Speaker 3: That was a disrespectful later the common thread.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: This is whatever Heason about to say.
Speaker 2: See, that's that's the problem, because you're gonna get you're going to get a You're going to get them playing underneath center seventy six percent of the time, and that means that's when that's when Mason's going to get the ball. So San Francisco's running game is from underneath center. They do it with a lot of different You mentioned about the movement and the pulling and stuff like that. They do it with yuscheck. He's been unmoved by far more than any time in his career. You've got to follow forty four. You got to follow these tight ends. You got to follow Kittle. Those are guys that will kind of tell you where. It's gonna be a lot of blocking back. It's gonna be a lot of pulling this back. Though. I feel like he leads the league and broken tackles. I think he's got fifty one of them, which leads the league. He's got nineteen explosive runs of ten yards or more.
Speaker 7: He has a run of at least twenty yards in all but one game.
Speaker 2: Yay. Yeah, just to give you exam, Just to give you an example, that guy at the Ravens has seventeen. You know. So this is what you're dealing with right now, is with an explosive back, it's gonna be from underneath center. It's going to be to the outside. Generally, they don't run the ball in the middle as much as they run it on the edge. Their running game is they try and get you to defend the whole field. They're going to play you sideline to sideline, but their running game is predominantly on the edges, so you've got to be ready for that. They face a ton of loaded box. Dallas is fourth best in the league when it comes to loaded box. Loaded box, the extra defender, the eighth defender down in that loaded box. Dallas plays it a lot. They don't have success playing it. That's your issue right there.
Speaker 5: So you would say that worries you if they have eight guys down the box and they don't have and they still can't stop Dallas.
Speaker 2: Dallas is one of the worst tackling teams in the league. They're they're They're well over sixteen percent miss tackles this year. Last year they were at eight percent, which was only it was tops in the league. Last year. They were much better tackling team than they are right now. But they are about sixteen seventeen percent misstack.
Speaker 5: What would you attribute that to because there are a lot of guys on this team that are the same guys from last year, with the exception of guy that you thought should have improved that in Eric Kendricks. What would you attribute that to?
Speaker 8: You have an idea on this one, Yeah, this is I think I think health has definitely played a key, but I miss tackles is a tough one to pin.
Speaker 2: Marque spell not playing, I think really hurts you a little bit because he's a guy that's good tackling. Yeah, he's a good tackler, and they haven't had that. You know, we've seen uh, we've seen Hooker, we've seen Wilson, we've seen linebackers. You know, Kendricks is for the most part, has done uh, you know, a pretty decent job. But he's had some missus. Overshown's had some missus.
Speaker 7: Mary Diggs.
Speaker 2: Diggs has had missus, Marris has had missus. They've had opportunity. The problem is they've missed tackles and there's a lot of teams running the football against them. You know, that's that physical aspect of you're dealing with backs. You're not dealing with receivers. You're dealing with you know, you're dealing with Alvin Kamaras and and you know the guy at the Raven's Henry, and you're you know, you're dealing with that kind of a back and it makes it tough on these defenders to have to make those tackles getting you know, the getting position, and they don't get they don't finish like they absolutely should. But this will be a problem this week because to me, if I'm the forty nine ers, I'm not interested in throwing the football. I'm going to I'm going to see how committed you are to playing the run. And if you do play stack box with the eighth defender down in there and you're not very good at it, you're not giving me any confidence. You could stop me from running this football.
Speaker 5: So if Deebo who is just was released from the hospital yesterday, so we don't know what his status is. Uh, Jennings prospect, Jennings was out last week, so we don't know what his status is. Obviously Ayuk is out. What are the who are the offensive skill players outside of Mason and Kittle that when we come in on Monday we may be talking about, like this guy was their difference maker. This guy was the guy that that we didn't talk about, but we think he can be.
Speaker 2: I'll throw a name out there, Ricky Piersaw. I think Ricky. He's the he's the young man that got shot in the chest and crazy and and now is back playing and last week was his first game. I believe they drafted him to take Brandon Ayuk's They they talked about trading Brandon Ayuk during the during the spring, and they couldn't really pull it off. I think they drafted Ricky Pearsaw to be that guy. I could see Ricky Pearsaw playing in the slot lot more in this snk uh and making up for those Brandon Eye the reps that he takes over there. But I have confidence that Jordan Lewis can take care of Ricky Pearsow. You know, I bet if you want to mention a name, Jacob Cowing is a guy that for some silly reason, they've tried to throw him the ball. He made a big play in the in the Kansasity game. It was forty one yard reception that he had down the right sideline. A. Yeah, so he's kind of a quick, shifty kind of a player. Uh, they like I say, they don't. If I anticipate Deebo Samuel playing, I'm sorry, I just do. I think he's going to They're going to iv up all week and you know they're going to get him. He might not practice. But this is the problem you get into with Deebo Samuel. It's like they put him in the backfield and they actually hand him the ball. They haven't thrown him the ball as much as they have in the past. Uh they usually like he's only had one target this season where they've thrown him the ball of the backfield. Everything else has been a run. But I anticipate him playing in this football game. I just don't. I don't. I mean, maybe I'm wrong about pneumonia, but I kind of feel like the fact that he got out of hospital early enough that they might be able to get him well enough to play that scares me a little bit.
Speaker 5: The question for me on him debo is are they able to give him a large dose of plays coming off pneumonia, Like does he have the lung capacity to be able to Because I think this is a game where if you look at it and look at the history of the forty nine ers, they'll have games like this where they have guys that are not in that are compromised and they're like, all right, this is gonna be a debo game, and they just load him up, they throw it to him, they run, they do a ton.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but my question is, like my thought with Corinda.
Speaker 5: I don't know if Yeah, I don't know if they will be able to do that with him coming off pneumonia. Maybe he is capable of doing that, but I just wonder, like coming out, if you had pneumonia bad enough where you had to be in the hospital, my guess is that your lungs aren't.
Speaker 3: At full capacity to be able to maybe run a full I.
Speaker 2: Always expect the worst, you know, when I'm playing somebody, and.
Speaker 5: Because it isn't happen like that, Yeah, everybody gets ready for the count.
Speaker 2: He's like, yeah, he's in the hospital on Sunday, and then you know, and then and then the fallowing Sunday, he's nine receptions for one hundred and twenty seven yards and.
Speaker 3: A touchdown, Aaron Player of the Week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just you just there. They are compromise, And I think Nick's right about this offense though. It's gonna come down to can you stop Jordan Mason and and and can you also handle George Kittle and can't? And you also got to be ready for the Kyle us check wheel route up the sidelines where all of a sudden he's blocking, blocking, and then he goes up the sidelines and you know, the Chiefs did a really good job the one shot. I guarantee you they're going to take a wheel route shot with Kyle us Check playing full back and sneak him through up the sidelines and see if they can hit him.
Speaker 3: He just love time.
Speaker 8: I do, I do, and this is my favorite one. He has a season high in receptions last year with four against Dallas. He had the touchdown, but not only as a as a passing weapon. They get really creative with him and run block as well. They'll do some lipky things with him. Well, they'll line him up at tight end. They'll have to cross the farm well enough, exactly right, he's the originator. They'll have him crossing the formation, kind of pay some running lanes on the edges. I think if in this game with Jordan Mason specifically, if you can contain the edge, you can seal the edge and keep him between the tackles, I think you can find some success against this running game. It's it's gonna get its production. It's gonna happen. But I think if you can keep it between the tackles. I think you can manage what happens out of that.
Speaker 5: All right, we're going to take our final break when we come back. I'll have a couple questions for you guys specific to the Dallas defense when we come back. Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 15: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg Ole lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 3: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 15: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 7: No one comes close.
Speaker 15: Lg Ole lad Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for your elf at LG dot com slash oh leed Evil.
Speaker 16: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 17: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 7: The wins will be even tasteier.
Speaker 4: It's a pepper thing, and we're going to overtie Erica.
Speaker 3: How much have I spent on Concessions?
Speaker 18: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com. Slash Erica by your side. Bank of America official bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the English language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance, message data rates. Additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five g's it is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See ATD dot COM's five G for you for details.
Speaker 3: Back to the break.
Speaker 6: Ad n T Connecting changes everything.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 5: We're in the final segment of the break life from that w BC Mortgage Studios at the start we're.
Speaker 7: Learning nifty ways to get out of jury duty in the break.
Speaker 5: We're not going to say that publicly because we all are great citizens.
Speaker 3: We do our job.
Speaker 5: Already voted, I'm already in my ballots in everybody should get out, get your voted, and if you get called for jury duties, go and it would have and make up for us who get out.
Speaker 6: Meanwhile, I'm thinking ways to get in.
Speaker 8: You want to be okay, I kind of want to be on a case too, if if to be one hundred percent honest. But sometimes like if you get assigned to like a big case, you're you could be gone.
Speaker 3: That's my that's my fear. That's my fear.
Speaker 5: I get into this case where I'm just there for weeks and literally like I'm not at work. I'm not I'm not doing with my family. They sequester us like I want them.
Speaker 2: Would you like the trial?
Speaker 7: Absolutely not?
Speaker 13: No.
Speaker 8: I mean so I can bug deal out of it on the back end, for sure? You did, all right, you're a writer, you know what. Never mind work out all right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't want any part of that.
Speaker 2: All right, Here we go.
Speaker 5: I got a couple questions for you guys about Dallas defense uh, And I really want you to think about this question because I think there's one answer that's very apparent after the conversation we've had.
Speaker 3: But I really want you to think about it.
Speaker 5: What can this defense do more or better to have the greatest impact. The two options are tackle or discipline on their assignments.
Speaker 7: Tackle. For me, it's tackle.
Speaker 3: You didn't do what I ask you to do. Ask you to think about it.
Speaker 7: Tackle I was like, what did I miss here?
Speaker 8: No tackling and discipline on assignments definitely, But I mean there was multiple occasions in these games that they've lost or they're just not getting guys down on first contacts. I mean, you see how many yards after contact that they're giving up. It's like, come on. I mean the way that opposing offenses have been able to sustain drives have been a key contributor from misstackles they got to tackle.
Speaker 2: But give the listeners your theory on why on how you would play your edges this week?
Speaker 8: Okay, ye, with the edges this week, I would want to, like I said before the break, if the edges can contain the running game and keep things between the tackles, I don't have a ton of trust in that interior for San Francisco to be able to sustain drives with the running game. So if they can keep Jordan Mason between the tackles, I'm completely okay with telling these defensive vents. Hey, let's overcompensate for sealing the edge on the runs.
Speaker 7: Let the interior.
Speaker 8: Focus on generating pressure on Party. Let the linebacking corps focus on you know, situational blitzing on getting to Party.
Speaker 7: I want these edges focusing on the run game. One that would be mine.
Speaker 2: I guess if you could give me a choice for this particular game to how to handle and and maybe maybe San Francisco will be stubborn and continue to try and throw crossing routes after watching Detroit dis dismantle you throwing crossing routes. Safety play has got to be better here too, you know. I mean, if you tell me tackling discipline better safety play, I give you the better safety play. Right now, you're getting killed in the middle of the field. You just are. And you know, somehow, some way that you could be like a Kansas City And I know that's a two time Super Bowl champion team, but man, their safeties and the way they play the way they drove on balls, the way they the defensive line, tip and balls. I mean there were guys open ball, you know, tip they had Are you kind of drop Dallas will never be as that lucky. I mean, Kansas City caught some luck in that game with some of the things that happened with through the health of the of the forty nine ers, but they also caught breaks with tip balls on defense, and they caught breaks on guys dropping balls or not be in a good position to catch a ball. Ricky Piersoll inside route and he's kind of getting mugged. And you know, Dallas never gets that kind of a break.
Speaker 5: Between Between Wilson and Hooker, which of those two do you need more from.
Speaker 7: In the passing game? Hooker hooker and hooker game? Hooker by far?
Speaker 2: I mean to me, I think, you know, Wilson can lower the boom and you know, create problems physically, but Hooker, he's got to put himself in better position. Read it quicker, drive on it, man. I've seen him. I've seen him make plays like that, like read it the right way. Drive Kansas City did that? You talk about the interception? Here comes Kittle on the cross. They aren't even thinking about Kittle. They're driving to a spot because they know that's where the ball is going to end up, and they get an interception off it, you know, and you're like going, well, I wish Dallas' secondary or safeties would have that kind of awareness, that kind of vision, and then that kind of finish right there.
Speaker 6: Well, between the two, tackling or discipline, I would agree with the tackling aspect of it. I think there's a whole sense. It's a whole different energy that comes when you tackle well and you set the tone, you're aggressive, you show that hey, I'll make you rethink that next time on the next play because you're about to get hit and I and we've seen it, just like Nick mentioned so many times that the yards that come after the contact, it's it's absurd. So I think that you have to start setting the tone that way and show that you are an aggressive team. And I think that right now this season, I mean there's been there's been moments, like we've seen overshown moments that you're like, WHOA, that's I love that guy. He's shown that. Maris I think he has that aggressiveness in him as well, We've seen it with Kendricks too, and Jordan Lewis. Can everybody just play like Jordan Lewis right now? He sees I mean, he has that fire and that aggressiveness in him that I think should be contagious. And everybody else I think you bring that and he just changes the dynamic overall and better plays come from that.
Speaker 2: To your point, Ambar, I mean we talked about Mason and his ability to break tackles. I looked this up. He's had four hundred and sixty five yards after contact, you know, and I mentioned about forty nine ers run after catch or yards after catch. They're near the bottom. Don't let them all of a sudden figure that out against You make tackles. Get these guys down if they catch the ball, get them down. If it's a six yard gain, it's a six yard game. Don't was a six yard gain turn into an eighteen yard game. You know, find a way to get these guys on the ground. But man, they're going to have their hands full with this runner. For sure.
Speaker 7: A lot of these teams right a fok in the road.
Speaker 8: A win for either of these teams could be a big confidence booster for the second middle part of the season, no doubt.
Speaker 3: All Right, we appreciate you guys, Jones. We're back tomorrow.
Speaker 5: We're going to dive into the San Francisco defense, really good unit that the Cowboys will have to face, and the Cowboys offense and what things they may have to do in order to maybe get back on track and get a little more consistency in what they're doing.
Speaker 3: Score in the red zone. We'll talk about all that tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Till then for Nick Harris, Brian brought us Namburcarcie. I'm Derek Eilton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.