Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio.
Speaker 2: News, Chipotle, and Starbucks, both of them raise their guidance after stronger than expected quarters thanks to trending, new menu items and revamp loyalty programs. All those stocks up across the board, but let's dive deeper into Starbucks. Romaine boss, a co host of The Clothes, is joining us this morning alongside the CEO of Starbucks, Brian Nickel fromin That's right.
Speaker 1: Brian Nickel joining us right now, fresh off of last night's earning, supports seven point nine percent comp growth. Brian, Obviously the street likes what they hear, but I do need to get a little bit more color. I say exactly where that is coming from? Transactions? Four point two percent? That's foot traffic, Brian. Is that just favorable comps? Are you truly getting more people into the store? Yeah, No, great to be here.
Speaker 3: And look, the reality is what's terrific to see is the growth is coming from more customers coming into Starbucks more often. And you know, that's just a foundational strength. And the good news is we're seeing it across all income groups and really all age groups. So just really terrific strength moving through our stores.
Speaker 1: With regards to the tickets as well, that was also up about three and a half percent in the most recent quarter. So it's a function of both foot traffic coming into the store but also people spending more. Are they buying more? Are these add ons what gets that ticket price up to that three and a half percent jump?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So what you're referring there is we're seeing people add more food, so a higher attachmate. And then what we're also seeing is people modifying more of their drinks with things like our cold foam adding an espresso shot. So it really is terrific to see people using our menu to get them the customized experience that they want out of their drink, and then also attaching what is really some terrific food to go along with their beverage.
Speaker 1: Do you have any concerns about maintaining this momentum? And that don't necessarily mean that from an operational perspective. We just got a GDP report for the second quarter backwards looking much lighter than what folks had been looking for. Consumer spending holding up right now. But you've referenced in the past that you had seen some strain at least amongst the lower income in lower income consumers. Are you concerned that some of that weakness might be spreading beyond just the lower income folks.
Speaker 3: You know, actually, we're seeing strength across all income groups at Starbucks. And you know, what we continue to see is when we give people a great experience, they come back more often, and when we do it consistently, they really reward us with their business. And so, you know, we've not seen the customer move back as it relates to Starbucks have been really resilient. We're very optimistic about we're headed. You know, we exited the quarter with really strong performance, and we're excited about how we're heading into our fourth quarter, and we're really optimistic about the plans we have for twenty twenty seven. So you know, look, we're just getting started. It's great to see the strength across all of these customer you know, demographics, and we're confident we're going to continue to have success with them.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about twenty twenty seven. Obviously, we've seen the revenue numbers at least I say, the sales numbers start to come up a little bit. There's still some concerns about whether we can see more meaningful profitability. How much of the lag between those two is tied to the revamp of the stores. I mean, you've done one thousand so far for this fiscal year. I think you're what still guiding towards fifteen hundred for the next fiscal year. There's a huge cost attached to that, right.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, look, I think the thing that we've done here is we were really smart about what we spent on these uplifts and the implications on the store. So you know, we can do these things for roughly one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. We do not close the store at all, so operations continue to perform. And then the experience that our partners have because now they've got a new, really great looking coffee house, and that what our customers have results in frankly, more transactions. So it's been a great program. We'll continue to push the program forward. We're going to accelerate into twenty twenty seven because we know when we create a great coffee house and we have that great partner Barista to customer experience, we're rewarded with more business. And you know, it's not a big investment, but it's a meaningful investment. And then it gets us great results.
Speaker 1: Is there any way you can share with me what the difference in com sales is for a revamp store relative to the stores that haven't been uplifted.
Speaker 3: You know, we haven't shared that publicly, but what I can tell you is we see a move in a positive directions that it relates to transactions, and because of what we're seeing, we are accelerating the program.
Speaker 1: I think the last time we talked with regards to transactions, you talked a lot about improving the instore experience by also improving the speed of which those orders get out the door, whether it's in the cafe or in the drive through. I know there was some color on the conference call about some of the time that you shaved off of that we're talking seconds here, but it seems like those seconds matter to you. How much progress have you made?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, look, this is one where I'm really excited because we set out right from the go that we wanted to improve the speed that our customers experience and then do it consist and kind of behind that is really this drive towards more throughput, and we've seen just that. So we've got better through put. In the mornings, we also have better throughput in the afternoons and frankly, as a result, all day long, our transactions are up throughout the day and when you kind of pull that back, yes, customers are loving the experience. But our partners are doing a great job of being staffed as a team, deployed correctly and then consistently executing the green Apron service model, which then results in better speed at the drive through, better speed in the cafe, more on time and mobile order pickup, and frankly, pretty good speed in the delivery channel as well. So it is having the effect that we would want. We're in totality the Starbucks business now, I think is providing people the great experience that they want at the speed that people need based on the occasion where they're visiting us.
Speaker 1: Is there any conflict though, with getting that number down in terms of the time down and this idea of these add ons and other things that I would assume would complicate the process for the barista's just a bit. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, we're very intentional, So everything that we do we have an eye towards what is the implication on our ability for our customers to get the products the food that they want. In the speed terms that they desire. And we also have a really close eye to make sure that our partners are set up to be able to provide the customization the drink, you know, the craft, the way that they would want to do it themselves. And so you know, that is part of our develop development process, and that's part of the rigor that we go through to make sure before it gets to the store it's been vetted such that we know we can still deliver on the great experience at the speed that our customers expect.
Speaker 1: You've introduced a lot of new products. I know you even talked on the conference call about a s'mores drink. Not necessarily my bag, but I can understand why some folks might like it. Here. Have you tried it, Yeah, not yet. I have tried the one cream and it is good here. And look, I mean probably the Smores drink isn't targeted towards my demographic. I mean, you've clearly gone after the younger demographic with the gen Z, the pink drinks, the s'mores, et cetera. Here, but with these types of drinks, you know the complexity that that maybe adds to the process. But also this idea if these aren't going to be permanent menu items, just sort of limited time offers, do you run into sort of some issue in sort of how you forecast out com sales growth if you know, Smores might be gone and you know whatever a few weeks or whatever. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, I think the menu innovation that comes out as like limited time offers versus the menu innovation that ends up being permanent on our menu, they serve two different purposes. And yes, we're able to forecast this with accuracy. I mean, as a result, I think you saw in the release our supply chain we're ninety nine percent of the time in stock with the items that people want, and I think if you look at our beverages, it's almost close to one hundred percent. So we are able to forecast correctly, supply it correctly, and then most importantly, we build it in such a way that our partners are able to do it consistently and give people the experience that they want. You know, as you mentioned like the orange cream cold foam that's going on the Cold Brew. I mean, look, the good news is, yes it's orange cream, but it's exactly the same way that we always do Cold brew it's exactly the same way that we always do cold foams. So the consistency, the standardization of the builds so that people can get to the quality experience that they want at the speed that we know they desire is really important to the work that we do on this.
Speaker 1: What's the best selling product out there right now?
Speaker 3: I mean, look, we still are selling you know right now, are ice shaking. Espresso is a huge popular drink. Our Americano is a very popular drink. Obviously, the ice caramel machiato is one of our top drinks. Macho Lattes is a top drink. So the good news is it's not just one item. We actually have the breath that I think really resonates with people's palates.
Speaker 1: I do have to ask you, Brian, about a report that Bloomberg had about three weeks ago, citing internal documents that you were actually looking to replace some of your in house software tools, particularly those made by Microsoft and IBM. Your chief technology offers are talked a lot about how you can maybe get some of those software costs down. Any credence to that report.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Look, I think you would expect us to be looking with a critical eye towards any product that we use and whether or not we're getting the best cost proposition, and also are we getting the best outcomes from that proposition. And that's basically what we're doing here is we've got some great partners, but at the same token, we need to make sure that we are getting the best output for the best pricing. And I think you know, as probably everybody's doing with the advent of AI, it gives you an opportunity to rethink what we're doing and how we're doing it. And you know, that's literally the exercise that we're going through. And I think you would expect that from all organizations to have the cost discipline tied to making sure that you're getting the right outcomes that you want.
Speaker 1: Well, that cost discipline is obviously also increased the amount of cash you have on hand. At the same time your debt obligations are down. Where's that cash going to go? Is that next dollar going to go to buybacks? Is it going to go acquisitions? Is it just going to go back into the stores? You know.
Speaker 3: So the good news is for us, as the business continues to recover, you know, the balance sheet gets stronger and stronger. It gives us terrific opportunities to invest in growth. Obviously, some of that growth is going to be the store remodels and then obviously building news stores, and then we'll look around to figure out what is the right next growth vehicle for us. You know, buybacks may be part of it. Obviously, we've got to divotend that you know has always been there. So we're always thinking through what is the best way to deploy that cash so that we get growth in the business and get a great return for our shareholders and all of our partners.
Speaker 1: Hey, Brian, appreciate it, but I need you to do one last thing for me and settle a debate that my niece wanted me to ask you. When officially does pumpkin spice season start?
Speaker 3: Sure, it's coming, get ready. We're not too far away, so I'm anxious for it as well.
Speaker 1: All Right, Brian, really appreciate you taking time for us. Brian nicklelare see over at Starbucks.