Speaker 1: So Correy shot and killed himself last night, the same night that I was considering. You know, and I do say this's Corey saved my life. Unfortunately, went took his own doing the memorial service, let.
Speaker 2: Guys get closured.
Speaker 1: When I saw how it affected the guys, I realized, Okay, I cannot go out this way. I cannot give permission to my men to do this. The fear was not letting them down, but giving them permission, because you knew they were all struggling.
Speaker 2: They're all struggling.
Speaker 3: Welcome to an army of normal folks. I'm Bill Courtney, I'm a normal guy. I'm a husband, I'm a father, I'm an entrepreneur, and I'm a football coach in inter city Memphis. And that last part, well, it somehow led to a film about one of my teams that actually won the Oscar. That movie is called Undefeated. Guys. I believe our country's problems are never going to be solved by a bunch of fancy people and I using big words that nobody ever uses on CNN and Fox, but rather by an army of normal folks. That's us, just you and me deciding, Hey, you know what, maybe I can help. That's what Dan Jarvis, the voice you just heard, has done. Dan was a squad leader in Afghanistan, and his traumatic experience there and returning home led him to plan on becoming part of the statistic of twenty two veterans committing suicide every day. Thankfully he didn't, and today his nonprofit, Healing the Hero, is spreading a trauma resiliency protocol that helped him. Heal has since helped over eighteen thousand people and he is just getting started. Dan is yet another example of how you can transform your pain and to your greatest purpose, and how you can be a dog on a bone, not letting go of your mission until every single person has access to the solution. I can't wait for you to meet Dan. Right after these brief messages from our general sponsors, Dan Jarvis from winter Haven, Florida, drove up from Dallas to be with us.
Speaker 2: Hey you doing man, I'm good. How you doing, coach, I'm good. Thanks for being here. I appreciate you everybody.
Speaker 3: Dan Jarvis is the founder of Healing the Hero from winter Haven, Florida, travels around a lot. This is an interview that I am really excited about because it combines two things that I'm actually very passionate about, which is the brain. I'm a psychology major, which many of our longtime listeners. I've said that probably twenty times. I'm really enjoy the.
Speaker 2: Science behind psychology.
Speaker 3: And you're a veteran and I have an enormous amount of respect and appreciation for those who've served our country and your capacity. I've said this for but I sleep really well at night. No one men like you are on the wall. And so before we start, I really want to say to you, and I don't I hate it when it comes off almost like when people say, Hey, how you doing this morning? They really don't care how you are that morning. It's just a greeting, and a lot of people greet that's with thanks for your service, but it almost seems just kind of like a comment in passing. But I mean, Dan, when I tell you that I appreciate your service, I want you to know how deeply sincere I am. When I say how much I appreciate you and your brother's an armed service to our country and to the people of our country.
Speaker 2: Thank you for being worth it.
Speaker 3: That is a crazy good response, and it also makes me feel even bigger, like a toolshed that I did serve I'm worth it, but I didn't do anything to earn it. We'll let him reassess it at the end of the interview, whether you've been worth it or not. Yeah, that's a good point, all right. One last thing before we go. A lot of people bring their wives or their girlfriends or their friends with them, uh, and they just kind of sit over there and an interview and I ask questions. And you have a girl with you who is extremely close to you, but unfortunately, I don't think she'll respond to my questions. Mays, we're going to tell you the story about how May's came into your life. But everybody, Mays is a former service dog or current what do we call make she's a service dog. She's a service dog, and she's beautiful. She's half German Shepherd and half in Melawon, which for those who don't know what that is, those are those crazy dogs that can jump all over everything and jump on top of ladders and stand. And she's been hanging out with me a little bit. She's perched under the table, and she's beautiful and she's really friendly. So I guess May's welcome welcome to Amazement. Another guy that I have a lot of respect for, Scott Man, recommended you to us.
Speaker 2: Do you know Scott? Oh, I know Scott very well.
Speaker 3: Alex asked Scott what some of his favorite nonprofits were and he named Healing the Hero, which we're going to spend most of our time on together. But I think it's absolutely Germaine to the story when we talk about Healing the Hero. Why that meant so much to you? And I think it's best to start our March second, twenty thirteen. When you found yourself looking down the barrel of a rifle? Can you tell us about that? But most importantly, what brought you to that place?
Speaker 1: Yes, that was a turning point in my life. It's when I was so overwhelmed emotionally. I couldn't regulate, and all I would do is drink alcohol because it's a central nervous system depressant. I didn't realize what was going on. I didn't know what was happening. I just thought I was stronger than that. Why am I experiencing these emotional roller coaster rides? You know, if you go back up a year prior to that, I was deployed to Afghanistan, and in my squad, eight of us.
Speaker 2: Were awarded purple hearts to include myself.
Speaker 1: How many people in the squad there's usually nine, but then plus usually a gun team.
Speaker 2: So eleven and eight, Yeah, had been wounded. Eight had been wounded.
Speaker 1: Four of them left theater not to return because of the injuries. One left in a flag drape body bag. And when we lost Doug. It was August nineteen, twenty eleven. It was nine thirty six in the morning. And I know this because I'll never forget that moment. I'm a thirty six am.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was in the Zabo Province of Afghanistan, which is between Kandahar and Helman Province, and we were doing a mission off the main Ring Road.
Speaker 2: There's like one asphalt ring.
Speaker 1: Road around the entire country of Afghanistan. They called it Ring Road, and then all the others are dirt roads. We were on Route Snake. One of our other platoons, sister platoons, had discovered an ID on a hilltop. The lieutenant there actually stepped on it and it kind of fizzled out. So they were we were escorting the explosives guys, the bomb techs.
Speaker 2: We should have stopped on the main road, stepped on it, and it fizzled out. Yeah, it didn't detonate. That'll wake you up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure Lieutenant Howard probably still thinks about that.
Speaker 2: Right. He literally stepped on this. He stepped on it.
Speaker 1: It was you know, one of those they're like toe poppers, and it didn't detonate. Sure, yeah, he's there's a lot of us that have had close calls. So that day that we lost Doug, we were on a black route, which means the route hadn't been cleared. And originally the Romanian military was supposed to do it, but they refused the mission because of.
Speaker 2: The route, and they refused the mission. They refused the mission.
Speaker 1: The Remainians were responsible for a kilometer off the main road, so they did all of the you know, ied exploitation and you know, and if it was one kilometer north or south that was there, that was their responsibility and we took care of everything else. So remember that specific mission. We had just gotten back from being at a patrol base. We were out for a week, we were going to get a couple of days down, and then the mission came up, like literally as soon as everybody got cleaned up, weapons got cleaned and then we had to go right back out and we just did what we did our normal brief as we get ready to go. One of the vehicles that was in our convoy was a what's called it MGS, a main gun system Strikers one hundred and five millimeter howiser. So it looks like a tank but on wheels.
Speaker 3: And we've seen those. Yeah, I didn't know what the as well. It does look like a tank, but it's got tires.
Speaker 1: Eight, it's got eight wheels and they're very large wheels. It's a very powerful weapons platform. But it's also you know, it comes with a big signature, right you see it, and it looks like a tank. And when we went down that specific route, we got into a waddie.
Speaker 2: We came out of the wady.
Speaker 1: I was in the lead vehicle, so our job was to exploit it, find IDs and then we would call up the EOD guys, the explosive guys that were with us.
Speaker 2: I've read this. I've read this.
Speaker 3: The minute I saw read that, I thought, what I'm about to ask you, what does find IUDs mean? I mean, aren't they under the ground.
Speaker 2: They're typically under the ground. So what we look do you find them?
Speaker 1: Other than running over them things, You're really looking for disturbed earth, you know, because if they're digging, it depends on when they placed the I D there, So you're looking for the indicators.
Speaker 2: We had the we had what was.
Speaker 1: Called a mind roller on our striker, but the also the benefit of as we were we just fielded the very first double Vhle strikers. So the double Vhle Strikers is a pretty awesome platform because it allows the energy to dissipate. The MGS striker with the one oh five howitzer was still a flat bottom, so there's nowhere for the energy to go except through the bottom of.
Speaker 3: The vehicle and a V groove imagine like I guess a speed boat.
Speaker 2: Well it's a little bit smaller than that kind of a groove. They have like sections of the hull that have openings and there is a little bit of a degree of variation of the metal which allows it not to appear to be flat. And what it does is when the energy hits it, the energy will dissipate through the sides in the back of the vehicle.
Speaker 1: It's instead of coming through it. I don't know whoever the engineer was a design that it's absolutely brilliant. Was We actually fielded the very first hit on one of those id's in country and it was just like a roller coaster ride for the guys inside.
Speaker 3: But nobody was hurt really so because of the v I guess instead of a flat when the concussion the explosion happens, it just kind of redirects.
Speaker 1: It redirects the energy and the energy will go out the sides in the back.
Speaker 2: Instead of straight to the floor. Okay, so when Doug got hit it.
Speaker 3: Well, well, so you're in this thing leading this steal right and looking for disturbed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're Earth.
Speaker 1: We're looking for the disturbed or if we're looking for anything that may be an indicator. Sometimes you'll see wires if their command wire. This specific wody that we had gone through. We have a what's called a mine roller, so it forces pressure on the earth in front of us. So it's designed to detonate an ID before the vehicle gets to it.
Speaker 2: So how far out in front of your vehicle is it.
Speaker 1: It's probably from the very front of the vehicle. Maybe it extends out about eight feet.
Speaker 2: That's all you need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because if the further the detonation is away from the vehicle, the higher likelihood of survivability, like significant anybody if it detonated ten feet in front of us or beside us, nobody in the vehicle.
Speaker 2: Would be harmed.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe get your ears rung a little bit if you're like me as a truck commander, you're standing up outside of the vehicle. But that day we went through it, and I really feel kind of bad because as we made it through the water, I'm like, look, I guess boys were still among the living.
Speaker 2: And then my driver was drivers, that's mess up. I say, hey, you got to got to see the humor in this.
Speaker 1: And then maybe a minute later we heard the explosion behind us, and that's.
Speaker 2: When when Doug got hit.
Speaker 1: And when that vehicle was hit, what they do is there's a button that you push and you shut off all of the fuel to that vehicle and it shuts the.
Speaker 2: Whole vehicle down.
Speaker 1: Originally, Sarbrokowski was the truck commander there. He put up a green flag indicating everything was okay, and then when he turned his handheld radio on, then that's when he requested a medic and that's when we realized something was not happening.
Speaker 2: That was wasn't good.
Speaker 1: And I'll never forget that day because the Medica is the very last vehicle the patoon sergeant and Doc left better.
Speaker 2: Was our medic and you're just seeing them.
Speaker 1: They're they're with a mind detector, very slowly kind of clear on earth because they had to get up to the vehicle yet and you can't just run up to the vehicle because secondary IDs, pressure plates, you know, they have no protection. And the bomb guys amazing. It was a Navy crew, the Naval Special Warfare guys. They exited, they were in the third vehicle and they still had to go back two vehicles and that was you know you're talking about that.
Speaker 2: Nobody were not like super close.
Speaker 1: There's there's distance and just washing those guys clearing, i mean they're like hauling butt back to the back vehicle. And then they cleared all the way up and then they got to Doug and got him out of the vehicle and then they announced that he had been killed in action, and that was tough.
Speaker 2: Nobody else in the vehicle was hurt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sargeant Rakowski was injured. The other both of them, there was only three in that vehicle. Because that vehicles designed to have a three person a driver, a gunner, and a truck commander.
Speaker 2: So the dry and the gunner. The driver was killed. That was Doug.
Speaker 1: And then you had Sarnbrokowski and started Lore were the they were the tankers that were inside of the vehicle, and they both got meta backed. Sarnrokowski was banged up pretty good and he did he's he was sent back to the States and sart Lower continued the mission. He was fine.
Speaker 3: And now a few messages from our general sponsors. But first Alex finally after a year of people begging, has gotten off his rear end and we now have our merchandise store is alive. All you gotta do is you get a normal Folks dot us and click merch and you'll see all kinds of cool stuff shirts, hoodies, hats, magnets, bags, banners and all of this for each of our six local service clubs too. So you can get a generic one that just says an army of normal folks, or you can go this is an army in normal Folks Memphis at Army and Normal Folks witch Stall, So you can get it for your service club, or you can get it just for listening, you know, wearing your normal stuff. Another thing we've done is we really did want people to wear it, so we've priced every item at the cost to make them zero dollars in profit for us. So we figured the more folks that can afford this stuff and the more items they could buy, it's just helping spread an army and normal Folks across the country. So we're trying to make it as inexpensive as possible for all of you. So get yours at normal Folks dot us today. Help us grow the army in your community and look cool representing the Army and Normal Folks brand. We'll see you wearing that stuff when you send us pictures and we get to post it on our social media. We'll be right back. Are these things like mines? So like old school mines have some type of pressure thing that when you push on it, it activates it.
Speaker 2: And then when you lift they explode.
Speaker 3: Is that what this was or is there some guy somewhere watching this and they're either wired or remote controlled and they just decided to blow it them.
Speaker 1: So this specific id was more than likely it was homemade explosives. So they're using ammonium nitrate and what they'll do is they'll bury it. This one was not a pressure wire, which is why we didn't set it off. This was a what's called a command wire, and the radio signal is what set it off. In other words, they waited for that specific vehicle because of what it looked like being a tank.
Speaker 2: That's the vehicle that they targeted.
Speaker 1: And we know this because as we met a act Sarn Rokowski, Sarn Lore and then they take Cordo's body out, we had to recover the vehicle and that the mechanics that came out. They had hooked the vehicle up was already missing one wheel. And I'll never forget. As we're driving back out and I'm the vehicle right behind the striker. As we're pulling it out, another platoon had come to assist us, and the vehicle hit an idea second time, So they targeted that same vehicle a second time. And I'll never forget because I'm standing up and I'm like twenty five maybe twenty yards behind it, and I'm just watching this massive striker wheel, which they're huge, They're like five feet big old round wheel, and I just watched this striker wheel fly about three hundred meters through the air.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. That's the amount of force.
Speaker 1: And it got to the point where as we're moving out of that I mean, they were basically dragging this vehicle out, and the vehicle behind us said, hey, my interpreter, who's listening to an icon ra is hearing chatter that they're trying to hit another vehicle. And his electronic warfare system was going off. So in other words, they were trying to command wire another ID on that on us as we're coming out. But that system was designed to jam those radio signals so he could hear his system operating. And then we had we found targets and we just we lit them up for about two three minutes, and then we continue to pull the vehicle out because we had to get we had to.
Speaker 2: Get the guys back out of that area. That was a pretty bad day.
Speaker 1: It was pretty you know, it's it's warfare, you know, it's just kind of what we experienced in the military.
Speaker 2: And everybody in the platoon, I mean, we knew we lost our brother.
Speaker 1: He had already been announced KA and you know, as tough as it is, you know, mission has to continue, and we learned to compartmentalize and when we all got back to the fob, everybody just had the thousand yards stare. You know, we just you know, nothing we could do at that moment. So that was that was probably one of the worst days of my life.
Speaker 3: So when somebody like me says thank you for your service, I'm thanking you for your service, but I'm also saying thanks for enduring trauma. The ninety nine point nine percent of us will never understand.
Speaker 4: And that's why we do it. Seth Alverton, Somebody's got to hold the guard. So I've heard about survivors guilt before. Is that what that was for you?
Speaker 1: That was an eight hundred pound gorilla that I couldn't get off my back because even in theater, even in theater, because the problem that I had was, if you want to back up three weeks. I'm leading a patrol across the Tarnac River. I have four Americans and I have four Afghan soldiers and one brand new interpreter we've never worked with before, and we had to link up with our strikers. We were doing a mission up on top of a mountain. We were on one side. We had both sides of the mountain covered and we were just assessing patterns of life.
Speaker 2: I tried to tell them on.
Speaker 1: Lieutenant, I said, they suck out here, assess it's done. But we had We were getting hit from behind the one mountain, so they were launching rockets to us.
Speaker 2: So we were up there hoping to capture something.
Speaker 1: So I had to lead a group down across the river and to link up with our strikers because we're all dismounted up on the mountain. And as we're coming across the river, we're getting ready to go down into the river and come back to the other side.
Speaker 2: So a valley and a yeah, pretty exposed.
Speaker 1: River exposed and that's really the only green you'll see up there in the Afghanistan.
Speaker 2: It's right along the river.
Speaker 1: There's green on both sides, so there's a little bit of vegetation going through there. And I stepped on a pressure plate on that dismount of patrol and I detonated an id that was probably five ten feet away, and that was no armor. Basically, it looked like looked like somebody lit a match in the went straight up in there about twenty feet and then all the pressure comes out, all the dirt and the dust and the debris comes out, and I remember hitting the ground and I got up quickly checking status of my guys, and one of my guys didn't respond, so I go into squadaler mode. We got to get accountability of everybody. So I'm calling up on the mountain, trying to tell the guys not to come down. Nobody's I can hear them, but they're not I'm not able to push my transmission out and when I look down when I hit the ground, the antenna snapped.
Speaker 2: So we had to get off the objective.
Speaker 1: And we got off the objective pretty quickly, set up a perimeter, and I'm just trying to figure out what planet I was on because the blast is it was pretty intense. And I'm still trying to call up. Oh, my bell's wrung. I played football in high school. My bell had never been wrung like that before.
Speaker 3: For those who hadn't played football, when you get your bell wrung, which is really a bad metaphor because it's actually brain damage, And we can get off this for a second, go to the CTE thing that's become very popular for football players. But the point is, every time you get your bell rung, I E you see stars. I don't know if you've ever done this, but you almost it almost tastes like you're biting aluminum foil. Have you ever gotten that taste in your mouth?
Speaker 2: It's a metallic like a little metallic thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that football players, if you've played football for any period of time, will have. Well, they're basically it's basically a concussion and your brain is bruised and you need adequate time to recover. You get real sensitive to light. So all of that I can correlate to quote having your bell rung, But that's being hit in the head by another human that is not having an explosion happen in your face and you're disoriented and your ears are ringing, or you can't hear. Your vision sometime gets tunneled, you lose your peripheral for a little while. That's happened to me before. But anyway, the point is, what of those were you experiencing?
Speaker 2: So probably all the above.
Speaker 1: When I got my guys to a secure perimeter, everybody's safe. Inn Mind you, I don't speak the native language, so I'm relying on an interpreter to speak with the Afghans.
Speaker 2: Everybody seemed to be okay.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're all, we're all pretty concussed and were lucky to waste dead. Well, that's the crazy part is we got We're very blessed. You know, I still have all my limbs, you know, I'm you know, all my guys are still alive, and to this day they're still they're still I mean, some of them are dealing with concussion related injuries. But you know, it was one of those things where when we got off that objective and we're in a perimeter, we're like, did that just happen?
Speaker 2: Really well? And that's the crazy part.
Speaker 1: You know, when you come to trauma, the event happening as it was unfolding, wasn't traumatic. We were we basically do battle drills, so we we got off the objective.
Speaker 2: We didcause everything we were trained to do.
Speaker 1: And then when you stop and you pause, and that's when the brain goes what just happened? And that's when all the emotions attached to that moment, the adrenaline. So what ended up happening is my lieutenant brought an element back off the mountain, an element like another squad of okay, like an element of people.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 1: So when he came back down, he looked at me, Okay, you guys are good. Okay, go back to the strikers, pick up the food for the Afghans, and then come back up the mountain. I said, certain, no offense. I can't even tell you what day it is. And then that's when he had the medic look at everybody in the medic said, they're all done, sir, They're all they all have concussion.
Speaker 2: They're all TBI related injuries. They got to.
Speaker 1: Get from out of brain injury, which most people call concussions, we call TBI. So that ended our our operation. And I remember they were I couldn't even read my garment, my GPS. I couldn't even tell what direction I was going, you're kidding. I was so out of focus. And then so I had to take disoriented. My brain is a way disoriented. And then as we're walking back to our strikers, they led the squad. Another squad leader came in and I'm I remember walking and all of a sudden, I start veering and leaning and then I'm falling over like I had no balance. My brain was just like I couldn't even tell you anything. And then when we got back to our strikers, I was sitting there talking to my oppatoon leader, Lieutenant Cousey, and he said, Sartain Jarvis, what are you saying? Like I'm talking to but he couldn't understand what I'm saying. So I think I'm talking but I'm not making sense, right, So he said, hey, just go sit in a striker and then they had to go back up the mountain, get the get the folks that were still up to bring all our rock sacks back.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it was just one of those crazy things.
Speaker 1: And when I get back to the Ford Operating Base, what I had to do is go see the dock. We had a really good We were fortunate for a company sized element. We had a battalion surgeon, so we had a medical doctor with us. And you know, he's like, yeah, you're you're done for a while, right. I remember daylight hit sunlight. I was like I couldn't even look as the door opened up. It was like it's like somebody is like hitting you in the face. It's like, you know, shut that door please. Sounds were over intense, and he's like, hey, you're done for a solid week, seven days, You're done, And I'm like, I don't want to be done. My guys are still going to go on a mission. So I told my lieutenant, Hey, sir, you need to go talk to Major Greenberg.
Speaker 2: I need to get back on the battle roster.
Speaker 1: So he went and talked to the PLPL comes back and was a hey tell you, sar drivers. But he says, if you get another concussion like that, it could kill you. And I'm like, what you can't argue with that.
Speaker 2: So for seven days I stayed while my guys went out. Of course, I'm listening to the radio.
Speaker 1: I'm here, they're not far from from our base, and you know, during that time, I heard an ID blast go off.
Speaker 2: My guys are out there. I'm like, what's going on?
Speaker 1: And they had actually lost an Afghan police sergeant was killed by an ID while they're out on patrol.
Speaker 2: You're feeling guilty, like I should be there. I'm not there.
Speaker 1: And then about seven days later they put me back on the battle roster. Problem was, whenever I would fall asleep, I would hear the explosion again, and the first couple of times a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Well, they they never didn't get to that level.
Speaker 1: As soon as I closed my eyes, I'm vibrating to fall asleep all of a sudden boom, I'm hearing the explosion and I'm up. First couple of times I'm putting my kid on, I'm like, I think, I'm thinking we're getting receiving fire, and I'm realizing nobody else is responding.
Speaker 2: Something's not right.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: So I was pretty much a zombie after that, which is why, when we go forward three weeks, why I felt so guilty was I was not at one hundred percent. I knew I wasn't at one hundred percent, but I didn't want to say I'm not at one hundred percent. And when we lost Doug, I always thought, man, I if somebody else had been up front, would they have found it?
Speaker 2: You know, would he still be here?
Speaker 1: Those are the things that go through the mind of a leader, because that was like me saying, I can't deal with this right now. But I did not want to be sidelined. I didn't want to have to go to one of the bigger bases and deal with you know, I did eventually have to do that after one of my other kids was wounded. You know, we almost lost donni Essa, and that would have been in September, not too far after that. When he was impacted by eighty two millimeter record the rifle that detonated about four feet from where he was on our base, and we didn't think he was going to survive. And it was that the toll of that, I'm like, I'm not sleeping, I can't handle this right now. And I eventually went and talked to my commander and they sent me to Kandahar and I had to go see a neuropsychologist and then a neurologist, and that's when they labeled the injury as a moderate traumatic brain injury. So he a mild, moderate, and severe. So it wasn't like severe like Donnie when he got hit. He's got a titanium plate in his head, that would be that's severe.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So when Donnie was hit in September, we were doing a you know, a detail on the base. We're cleaning up the the HLZ, the helicopter landing zone, so the guys were out there and when the rounds hit, it was literally four feet from where he stood to the point where he was so lucky. The shrapnel went through his chest and as it went through the chest, it shredded the pericardium sack, which is a thin membrane around the heart, which means the heart had been in the contraction mode. If the heart had been fully pumping, it would have blew his heart up.
Speaker 2: It's literally a heartbeat away.
Speaker 1: He was a heartbeat away, right, And I'll never forget that day because we're just they're trying to get him off of the HLZ. As they're moving him, the rounds are adjusting fire, so they either the rounds are following them as as they're evacuating. So they end up getting him into one of the strikers, and then they realize this is not the best place for this because that specific round was a heat round, high explosive anti tank, so if it hit the tank, it's going to hit and it's going to probably hit everybody inside it. And they end up moving him to a bunker. The medics came out, rounds are still impacting and all the way to getting him into the age station. So when you get to the dock, Major Greenberg, if you got to him alive, you were going to survive.
Speaker 2: He was that good.
Speaker 1: So Major Greenberg got him all patched up ready to go. They and we were on the perimeter trying to find targets one of my guys and my strikers that were doing maintenance on the weapons system, and they're like, hey, sarm drivis, I've got a heat signature, and he gave me a distance in direction. And then we had a a like a satellite system on the base and they gave a distanceing direction and that point of origin site where they determined where it was was only about twenty meters from where the striker had that same heat signature twenty meters, which means that was the point of origin, which means that heat signature was the shooters right.
Speaker 2: And he's like, do you want me to get in the gun?
Speaker 1: I said, get your gun up and get it, get it operational, and and I'm doing them.
Speaker 2: I'm calling in a polar plot fire mission, so.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to get ar chillery rounds going out to that target and we were next. We were not allowed to because it was too close to the perimeter of a structure. So there were certain rules we couldn't engage if it was too close to where there would be civilians casualties, which I get. You know, we go to great lengths to not injure or kill civilians. Doesn't always happen. So I'm like, well, you know what, he got the fifty cal up. I just said start engaging, and I'm up on a tower and I'm hearing those rounds whiz by me and they're shooting, you know, as far basically doing plunging fire because it was probably about three thousand meters away and that gun is that accurate three thousand But you can't hit rounds on target, you know, And it was it felt like a little bit of justice to be able to shoot back because a lot of times we don't get a shoot back.
Speaker 2: And yeah, that was what's that at the end of their day? No, No, that was that was not the end of the days.
Speaker 1: A matter of fact, later that evening they saw them on the on They had an aerial vehicle up. They saw them with the the eighty two millimeter recordless rifle carrying a box.
Speaker 2: Two guys going up over the hill.
Speaker 1: And but the area we were in did we didn't have priorities, so we couldn't we couldn't call anything in.
Speaker 2: You just had to watch them go over the hill.
Speaker 3: Okay, I absolutely understand if you're saying your brain was rattled up and you're feeling guilty and everything.
Speaker 2: But I mean, you.
Speaker 3: Can just hear you talk. You're you're you're a professional warrior. You clearly care about your people. You're doing the best work you can do, and it's a war zone and bad guys are trying to kill you. I think somebody not in your situation can hear that story and rationalize. It's awful that one of your men were killed, the Afghan policeman was killed, that people under your charge were injured. But isn't that expected when you're in leadership and you're in theater, that there's just going to be casualties and therefore they're not really they're not your fault. I mean, it's it's the fault of war. It's the fault of the enemy.
Speaker 2: Well that's that's a proper frame to look at it, right. So but in the moment, setting.
Speaker 3: That up for you a little to explain how the rationalization doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Well in in theater, you're you're tasked with the survival of your men, right, and and anybody that's a leader knows, you know, good two rules of war, good people dying war, and the second one is good people dying war.
Speaker 2: Right, There's nothing you're going to be right.
Speaker 1: That's just the nature of that kind of business, and that's why you train so hard to make sure you can bring everybody home. But you're right, it was realizing that, well, one, I didn't place that id right, I didn't select the route, I didn't pick the mission right. Those are all things that I didn't have context in the moment. So in the moment you got to realize when a traumatic event occurs, you know that spidy sense in the back of your brain that kind of has your hair standing up, that's the fight or flight response. That part of your brain is You're amygdala, and what it's doing is it's taking all of the data that's around that moment in time and it glues it to the memory. So anytime you hear something, see something.
Speaker 3: Because it's so intense that it gets sucked and that's a memory you're going to have no matter what is that what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Well, what I'm saying is it's a survival mechanism. So that part of the brain, its whole job is to protect you and to survive the species.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Feeding comes from your megala, fighting flight comes from your migala, and then procreation is also in a miglar response. Yeah, it's it's the It's that's why it's such a powerful emotion. When you're you know, intimate with somebody. That part of the brain is to propagate the species.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: What happens is when it takes all that data and it glues it to the memory. Now, anytime you see something, hear something, smell something that reminds you of that event, the alarm goes off in the brain red alert, danger danger.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I'll give you a prime example. Well, guys will come home from my Raq, right, because I've been there as well. When guys came home from Iraq and on trash day, they're swerving to miss trash cans because the alarm goes off and says, hey, there is a possible ID in that trash can.
Speaker 2: Because in Iraq, even though.
Speaker 3: It is completely unreasonable, I think that they can't help it because that part of their brain has the danger that they lived has been tethered to that part of the brain and the brain can't let it go.
Speaker 1: It's called Olympic hijack. It's called what Olympic hijack, O limbic l imbice, the Olympic system.
Speaker 2: It hijacks.
Speaker 1: It's hijacked. It's hijacked it right. You see it regularly with like law enforcement officers getting super triggered. It's just Olympic hijack. Something else in the past is what's caused that the alarm goes off, right, I'll put it in a civilian terminal. Say a woman was sexually assaulted, and because I'm a product of the eighties, DRNKR was a big thing back then, and the suspect was wearing Dr Car.
Speaker 2: Deodorant or not deodorant, but you know whatever, Colone Colonne. That's it. I couldn't think of the word.
Speaker 1: And then twenty years later, you're in a grocery store and all of a sudden you smell that drunk cologne and the brain goes into Olympic hijack. I got to get to safety because they're back, right, That's what the brain does. It's a constant reminder to keep you safe, right, not realizing it's just a very inefficient way of doing it.
Speaker 2: I read that.
Speaker 3: Doug's mom would post memorabile things on Facebook or something about them. Yeah, and every time you read those it was like somebody was stabbing you in the face. Yeah, And it's not that you didn't appreciate her love for her song and the memory of her son, but I assume it was because that triggered your hijacking.
Speaker 2: I'm asking that I don't.
Speaker 1: So whenever I would see her, because I knew Doug was an only child, so a mom lost her son, and every time she would post something, it was like it's like a gut punch, like I was being stabbed in the heart, not because of what she was posting, because I felt responsible.
Speaker 2: That's what affected me.
Speaker 1: That's the survivor guilt, right, That's a very powerful emotional. I'd say survivor guilt and PTSD are probably equal in intensity, you know, because I felt responsible for Doug.
Speaker 3: And so this all back to the original question. This all led to you wanted to check out? Yes, And that concludes Part one of our conversation with Dan Jarvis, and you don't want to miss part two. It's now available to listen to together. Guys, we can change this country, but it starts with you. I'll see in part two.