Speaker 1: Al Zone Media Story.
Speaker 2: Times.
Speaker 3: Welcome to sixteenth Minute, the podcast where most weeks we take a look at the Internet's main characters and see how their moment affected them and what that says about us and the Internet.
Speaker 2: But not this week, Queen's not this week. This week we are entering parts who too of our into.
Speaker 3: The taking a look at how this space has both continued to grow in influence and in our inability to talk about it. Last week, in part one, we took a look at the history of Manisphere spaces all the way back to the nineteen seventies, and a little bit about how it's been covered in the month following the election and spoilers not particularly well. I personally feel that the people best covering the Manisphere have already been doing it for years, But first I just.
Speaker 2: Wanted to do a little housekeeping at the top.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much to everyone who has reached out to me after last week's episode.
Speaker 2: It means a lot.
Speaker 3: As much as I hate hearing how many of my listeners have had assault experiences similar to mine, and that they were also encouraged to not think of.
Speaker 2: It as assault at the time.
Speaker 3: If you have experienced something similar, be gentle with yourself and thank you for listening, But I really do appreciate your listening.
Speaker 2: I firmly believe that we need.
Speaker 3: Each other to be able to survive times like this, because the systems are obviously still not acknowledging it. I heard accounts that came nearly a full decade after my own, which is honestly frightening. Domestic violence exists at rates that should qualify it as domestic terrorism, but that's just not how we've been taught to see this kind of violence. And more than anything, as I was preparing for this second part, as I was taking a look at the different areas of the Manisphere over time, it became very clear to me that for the most extreme areas, misogyny is usually step one sort of the bait, because it's so normalized and we hear it so often that most people may not flinch if they hear something casually misogynist, and some might even feel validated by it. And if they're into that and decide to watch some Manisphere shows will slowly turn up the ante. How about some transphobia with that? How about some racially charged comments about this type of woman? And not every listener is going to be receptive to it. Not all men, but let's be honest, many are, and the nature of these shows can sort of function as a frog sitting in a pot full of lukewarm water not realizing that it's coming to a boil. And again I will place some content warnings here. There's a lot of information in this episode and some of it is pretty heavy. So if it's not a good time for you for this kind of thing today, I really enjoyed Wicked Part one, check it out.
Speaker 2: I also really quickly just wanted to.
Speaker 3: Issue one correction from last week's episode where I failed to be clear enough.
Speaker 2: I characterized custody.
Speaker 3: Statistics that Men's Right activist site as their reason for pushing back against mothers and women's rights and characterizing them as vindictive, when I should have said that this is the idea that motivates them, not that it's actually based on historically true data.
Speaker 2: In reality, while mothers are.
Speaker 3: More likely to be granted custody, that's in large part because fathers request custody far less frequently than mothers do. So I apologize for making that sound as if it was a fact.
Speaker 2: It is very much a straw man argument.
Speaker 3: And that is certainly an important distinction in spaces like the manisphere, where so much is straw man arguments. So this week I want to break down the manisphere, starting from when many consider for it to have crossed into the mainstream and from where it started to affect me. Specifically, gamer Gate, a twenty fourteen harassment campaign where men's forums previously thought to be niche targeted women working or commenting on the gaming industry, particularly those who had explicitly criticized games for misogyny anywhere from explicitly critiquing the industry to simply speaking out against an intimate partner who had literally posted revenge porn of them.
Speaker 4: Violent depictions of women being beaten, raped, and run over by cars. It's not the movies, it's video games. And now the women calling for change in this multi billion dollar virtual industry are facing a very real backlash, including death threats.
Speaker 3: And as we discussed, the second event of twenty fourteen that brought the manisphere into the mainstream was the Isla Vista massacre perpetrated by Elliott Roger, who went on to become and still is a figurehead of the in cell movement, who is considered a martyr to the cause of fighting back against matriarchy. However, his misogynist manifesto, which was deeply connected and hosted to in cell forums, was only mentioned in passing in many mainstream media outlets, the same outlets who are three hundred and fifty percent more likely to bring up mental health as the central issue of these killings as they would for a Muslim shooter. Here's a Barbara Walters broadcast from the time.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you the story of Bogra, chilling details you've never heard until now about a loaner obsessed with finding a girlfriend.
Speaker 2: In the next ten years.
Speaker 3: It became lethally clear that this loaner angle hugely underplayed where Roger was getting positive reinforcement for this violence. Make no mistake, Roger was pushing this parting message to the in cell boards. Not only did it reference blackpill ideology, the death cult mentality that indicated that women would never like him and made him a martyr. The in cells were inspired by this. And just so you know, I will not be including quotes from any of these guys manifestos. There our spaces where that's not unproductive, but this is my show and no manifestos here.
Speaker 2: And finally to the guy last.
Speaker 3: Week in my comments who was like, interesting, you didn't talk to many men. Yeah, if it was my goal to platform men, I would own a house.
Speaker 2: So come with me if you dare to.
Speaker 3: The spring of twenty fourteen, during the fallout of the Ala Vista murders, which claimed six lives, mainstream media was still trying to figure out how to cover the story, while the in cell communities that Roger spent so much time in were celebrating.
Speaker 6: The in cell rebellion has already begun. We will overthrow all the Chads and Stacy's all hail the Supreme Gentleman, Elliott Roger.
Speaker 3: However, there is an ongoing argument amongst analysts of in cell and manosphere spaces as to whether these forums can be singled out as the sole cause of Roger's violence, arguing that much of his own misogyny was already reinforced by the culture that existed outside the Internet. Again, it's this systemic versus is it these boards? Specifically, Michael Kimmel, whose thesis on the Manisphere I cited in last week's episode, argued this in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 6: It would be facile to argue the manosphere urged Roger to do this. I think those places are a kind of solace. They provide a kind of locker room, a place where guys can gripe about all the bad things that are being done to them by women.
Speaker 3: I don't fully agree with this, and I think it fails to acknowledge a certain amount of gray area. On one hand, I think Kimmel is right to emphasize that manisphere message boards are places where men can take the societally encouraged disrespective women and validate each other's prejudices. But to suggest that these places don't amplify the violence of those actions is not true in my opinion. And this is what we're going to bump up against over and over. More than one thing is going to be true in some of these cases, and as it pertains to this show, more than one thing being true tends to be bad for social media engagement. But still, Kimmel is I think right to say that Roger didn't have to do a one point eighty ideologically to arrive at in cell logic, the way that Western media conditions men to see themselves in terms of virility, in appearance and in entitlement had already gotten him pretty far along, and while we can't know what motivated Roger definitively, there is no doubt that he turned to these spaces as a way of validating his low opinion of both women and himself, frequently posting front facing YouTube videos of him jeering at couples in the street and monologuing pretty point for point in cell rhetoric using black pell logic that he will never be the object of anyone's affection and might as well die instead of, you know, not, being openly hostile to every woman he ever came in contact with. In the days leading up to the Elavista shootings, Roger also took his own life. He began to refer to this premeditated plan as the day of retribution and a method of punishing the women that he felt rejected by, and Roger's influence is clearly held in these spaces to this day, with a number of subsequent killings citing his manifesto or shouting him out by name. Look no further than the Umpqua Community College shootings the next year, the christ Church mosque shooter in twenty nineteen, or the twenty eighteen Toronto van attack that claimed fifteen lives. The killer in Toronto said specifically.
Speaker 6: I was thinking that I would inspire future masses to join me in my uprising as well, and.
Speaker 3: For more in this case specifically and its relationship to the Manisphere, I would recommend the CBC podcast Boys Like Me from a few years back. But in addition to claiming to be in contact with Elliott Rodger, shortly before his death, the Toronto shooter told authorities that he had been radicalized on in cell forums shortly after the Ilavista killings and referred to his attack as another day of retribution. And of course, most people in the Manisphere aren't extremist killers, but that doesn't mean that they are not encouraged to cheer on those who are. That was a fixture of spaces like four chan, eight chan, and earlier Reddit. Robert Evans tracked this explicitly in the case of the christ Church mosque shootings, which claimed fifty one lives, where fellow manispheer adjacent racists watched the murder on a live streamed video.
Speaker 2: And that's not the only killing of that kind.
Speaker 3: Because, as it probably goes without saying, very few Manisphere denizens are just misogynists. These communities very often intersect with racism, xenophobia, homophobia, transphobia, and on and on. These communities are locked into a view of women that is entrenched in all this jargon, but it boils down to this binary chestnut. Women are defined by their ability to provide sex and children for men, and should be subservient as well as men must make themselves high value, and what determines high value is entirely decided by capitalism.
Speaker 2: It requires monetary and.
Speaker 3: Career success in addition to appearance, and can rely just as much on men's self hatred as it does on their hatred of anyone who isn't a man. But that doesn't mean that people locked into the manisphere aren't from a diverse array of backgrounds. I was actually pretty surprised at how diverse.
Speaker 2: This space is.
Speaker 3: Around the same time the mid twenty tens, the black manisphere began to grow led by influencers like Kevin Samuels, who started a YouTube channel in twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: It is viewing shit like this, How are you even willing to put a possible time frame only so we need a time for anything, nobody.
Speaker 7: We need a cooperative woman. We need a woman that understands what men want and understand that, yes, this is going to be a part of it. And I've asked you the question how many times? So what do you let me tell you? If you're not willing to answer the question. It's not a trick to it. You're a grown woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm I'm learning, still learning about different personalities.
Speaker 7: It's not different personalities. It's a lot of you ladies tend to want men to do all the work.
Speaker 3: Samuels took on a similar but a little bit harsher persona to Jordan Peterson, presenting himself as a fatherly professional who is just helping men and women understand the world and improve their confidence, while slowly but surely escalating into full male supremacist logic, then encourage men to be cruel and dismissive to the women around them. The difference is that Samuel's a black man himself focused on talking to black men in particular, and while he passed in twenty twenty two rather suddenly, his channel continues to post until this day, and his influence.
Speaker 2: Is certainly still felt.
Speaker 3: Doctor Umar Johnson is another big black manisphere public figure who at this point is basically given up on distancing himself from his overt homophobia and misogyny, saying back in twenty fourteen that planned parenthood quote was using homosexuality as a population control strategy in the black community. And as this misogyny is being pushed toward black viewers specifically, it tends to be extremely vitriolic toward Black women in particular, and unfortunately, the most harsh version of this is also the most popular feature of the black manisphere right now, the ultra popular podcast Fresh and Fit, whose hosts are particularly cruel to Black women on their show, because remember, no matter who's talking about manuspheer shit, they are operating on a fundamentally white supremacist logic.
Speaker 2: First time, don'ating just say Maron is a real one.
Speaker 6: Don't change for nobody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fuck out here, bro, we don't change. I don't even know who she is, so don't care. That's King girl, Like you don't know who Queen Vaughn is. No, I know who King Vaughan is, but I mean.
Speaker 8: I don't.
Speaker 5: Oh the fact you said it's King Vaugh's girl instead of it was heard yea, and.
Speaker 3: Let it be known That is the least convincing reading of I Don't Care that I've heard in my entire life. Similar spaces existed for Asian men interested in Manisphere content. I mean, don't worry, fellas. Everyone can hate women in the Manisphere.
Speaker 2: And boy do they.
Speaker 3: These influencers delight in broadcasting themselves, making women uncomfortable, and sharing the content as if they're owning them.
Speaker 2: And you might.
Speaker 3: Remember this if you were on YouTube around this time. There was a notorious style of video that had titles like this.
Speaker 9: Jordan Peterson repeatedly owns Australian feminist Ben Shapiro Dismantle's third wave feminism. Kevin Samuels knows ladies hate when the roles are reversed.
Speaker 6: Patriarchy, which is a system of male dominance of society.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but that's not my sense of the patriarchy.
Speaker 2: What's yours?
Speaker 10: Well, in what senses are society male dominated?
Speaker 6: The fact that the vast majority of wealth is owned by men, a vast majority of capital.
Speaker 2: And is owned by men. Women do more unpaid labor.
Speaker 10: Very tiny proportion of men, and a huge proportion of people who are seriously disaffected or men. Most people in prison are men. Most people who are on the street are men. Most victims of violent crime are men. Most people commit suicide or men. Most people who die in wars are men. People who do worse in school are men. It's like, where's the dominance here?
Speaker 3: Precisely, and these kinds of videos would have millions of views. And Peterson there is virtually giving a list of classic men's rights talking points, that is, listing out statistics about how patriarchy negatively affects men and presenting it as an argument against feminism for some reason, and while it's perhaps the most obvious point on the fucking planet, no conversation about the strengthening and empowerment of the manisphere would be complete without the twenty sixteen election of Donald Trump. There is ample proof that manisphere groups embraced Trump and loved his proclivity for saying the quiet part loud. Laura Bates, author.
Speaker 2: Of Men Who Hate Women.
Speaker 3: Praised back the history of these groups and found that, with the exception of men's rights activists hyper fixating on custody courts, these Manisphere groups were not particularly political pre Trump, but when he enters the sphere, they actually organized on his behalf and the groups steadily become more politicized, and that's not a mistake. Former Trump chief strategist and current disgusting goblin Steve Bannon admitted to courting in cells, specifically during the twenty sixteen election cycle.
Speaker 6: He said this, it was very much in the margins and in the fringes of society to bring and recruit people who would otherwise not necessarily engage in conventional politics, but would engage with particular kinds of ideas that Cambridge Analytica promoted online that can make an impact. If you get an extra one percent, an extra two percent in that swing state, and you win that swing state, that might mean you win the presidency.
Speaker 3: And of course Trump continued to deliver on both rhetorical misogyny that was reflected in his policy and extended to a hatred of immigrants and trans people, who he has repeatedly targeted in the years since. So to be clear, I'm not saying that the manisphere elected Trump. They're not quite that prominent. But Bannon and Trump were successful in getting men who were otherwise ambivalent towards electoral politic to become engaged because of him. The misogynist rhetoric, the whole.
Speaker 11: Hey, when you're a start, they let you do it.
Speaker 12: You can do anything whatever you want.
Speaker 5: Grab him by the.
Speaker 7: I can do any of that.
Speaker 3: God, I can't believe that's the second time I've had to play the grab him by the pussy clip on this show.
Speaker 2: Unfair.
Speaker 3: What's also worth mentioning here, and why I think there's such a high barrier to entry for people to understand these communities, is that there is a full and infuriating multiverse of vocabulary, of specific memes, and of deflective ironic humor that can make these Manisphere boards pretty hard to understand. When it comes to irony pilled humor that was already tied into comedy that was popular in the early to mid two thousands, the same time that comedy was becoming increasingly influenced by the Internet and in general pretty heavily reliant on shock. This was the era of able list, Helen Keller jokes, of dead baby jokes, casual or overt racism, and stuff that mainstream culture thankfully sort of moved on from after the peak of jud Appatau romance movies, But the Manisphere never really moves on from this edge. Lord humor and you'll find time and time again that very often, after saying something completely horrific about a marginalized group, a member of the manisphere will say, what I was joking, you took me out of context A likely story. A great example of this is famous misogynist pickup artist influencer Julian Blanc was under fire back in twenty fourteen for advocating that rape should be legal if one commits that rape on their own property. Hilarious, right, and his response to the understandable backlash to this was going on to CNN and claiming that people misunderstood his hilarious joke.
Speaker 7: You intended every part of this.
Speaker 2: True intentions were never bad.
Speaker 13: I agree, it was a horrible at humor, and unfortunately a lot of it also got just put out of context.
Speaker 3: And you probably will not be surprised to hear that. Shortly after this, he returned to preaching the same stuff for years after the controversy, and all but admitted in a blog post that this apology was insincere. As for vocabulary, terms that began in the Manisphere that have since gone mainstream include obviously red and black pilling, and mis injury or a hatred of men, which started in MRA forums. There's femoids gross, and there's red pill wives, which is a particularly disturbing subgroup that consists of women who are frequently characterized as just wanting to remain in the home, which would be fine if true, but what red pill wives actually depend on is thriving on their own self hatred and projecting this same misogyny at other women using red pill logic. There's Alfa and Beta and Sigma men. The list goes on, and then there's the memes. Much of the reporting around in cells and eventually QAnon was how frequently memes spread racist and misogynist jokes that set the tone for the community while also making it a safe space to say the most fucked up thing possible. In the mid to late twenty tens, this meant stuff like the tremendously successful co opting of Pepe the Frog, a creation of comic artist Matt Fury who had nothing politically in common with the people turning his cartoon into a horrific sign of the alt right. I would recommend checking out the documentary Feels good Man for more of that. But memes let these communities say the quiet part loud while maintaining the illusion of it's just a joke. You guys, though, why a Pepe the frog in a KKK rope is funny remains. I mean, it's just hate speech, right maybe. Fast forward to twenty seventeen. Trump is inaugurated and both the Muslim band protests and the Women's March take place early this year. By this time, I had moved to California to live with my rapists, who thankfully never picked me up at the airport, and so I proceeded to become a successful comedian. At the time, though, I was working part time and doing freelance writing, much of which centered around the Me Too movement, which began in late twenty seventeen after a year where besogyny was more in mainstream discourse than ever. And in case you don't remember, there were a few moments early in the Me Too moment that made huge waves in Western culture while also indicating this movement's shortcomings from the jump now. The hashtag itself was created by Tarana Burke, a black survivor of sexual assault, on my Space all the way back in two thousand and six, but the hashtag didn't really take off in the mainstream until late twenty seventeen, the big story was Harvey Weinstein, as prominent actresses were finally comfortable enough to come forward and say that he had raped or assaulted them, thankfully leading to his likelihood of dying in prison. What I think the major accomplishment of this movement was was making it socially permissible to talk about experiences of assault, harassment, or gender discrimination of any kind. And given that the women's March Think Pussy had remember that had taken place in early twenty seventeen, Me too at the time felt like an opportunity to at least keep the conversation moving, and I was all about me too in its early days. It was during this time that I remember first hearing a swath of feminists rightfully argue for rehabilitation and deradicalization of the men who were perpetuating these abuses where I work in comedy, but at the time still being pretty fresh out of this abusive relationship and working a day job at fucking Playboy magazine, I don't want to talk about it. My response was just like rehabilitation, fuck, you, just get these men out of here, make them leave. Because this was the first moment in my adult life that that seemed even remotely possible. So in a freelance column for Pace Magazine in December twenty seventeen, I wrote that the piece was literally called make them Leave. I began with the example of trying to bargain with male comedy bookers to stop giving known abusers time on their shows, and expanded my frustrations into these talks of rehabilitation in a moment where I felt like our frustration was only beginning to be addressed. Here's a passage from that I was driving from one gig to another with a friend. This passed fall when she mentioned needing to quote rehabilitate our communities unquote as it pertained to men assaulting female comedians. Voluntary wave of anger it sent through my body. Rehabilitate, make them leave. That's the least we can do. It's not my responsibility to explain to someone why they can't touch me, berate me, or rape me. Make them leave. I didn't say anything for the rest of the night. I also don't think she was wrong to bring the idea of rehabilitation into the conversation. It's a complicated issue that I think we will have to grapple with in the coming years, with predators who are finally being held accountable. Today, right now, I think we should make them fucking leave. It's weird to read this now because I don't even disagree.
Speaker 2: With what I'm saying here.
Speaker 3: I'm twenty four and in a lot of pain, and also kind of naively optimistic that writing this is going to liberate me in all of the women around me, and I do believe that white women specifically owe it to others to do some of this deradicalization and rehabilitation work. But in the moment, I was so angry that, weeks after women being able to speak freely about this, the conversation.
Speaker 2: Went back to what do we do about the men? I don't care.
Speaker 3: At the time, I was so angry and so convinced that getting these abusive men out of my sight would mean that either they would have to learn or disappear. And some of them learned, but many of them didn't, and none of them disappeared, And of course, the far reaches of the manisphere fucking hated the me too movement. Here are some comments from forums around the time.
Speaker 6: The main reason is that real victims don't get heard because hundreds of women tell us that someone accidentally touched their ass once on the bus ten years ago. It belittles women who have actually been subjected to rape or gross sexual harassment. I also wonder why women repeatedly end up alone in parks take black taxis set. Why did you ride an elevator alone with a strange man? Would a better option have been to wait for the next elevator.
Speaker 3: And this is way mild in comparison to some other stuff I saw in retrospect. I think Me Too was actually an excellent recruiting opportunity for the manispheer because for a moment, it was socially permissible for women to speak out, and the manisphere could pitch this as a moment that proved their point.
Speaker 2: Look at these women. They want you to lose your job.
Speaker 3: You can't say anything anymore, you can't do anything anymore. They're trying to ruin our lives.
Speaker 2: Now, I want to say.
Speaker 3: Me Too is a rightfully criticized movement because, as with virtually every other American feminist movement before it, its interests disproportionately prioritize the wealthy, CIS and white. This is a pretty popular point of view at this point, and while the Weinstein story initially felt like the beginning of something that could cut across class and race boundaries, that's not really what happened. So, like every feminist movement that came before it, me Too during twenty seventeen into twenty eighteen failed to get meaningful results anywhere other than with the financially privileged and mostly white. At the time, it was such a cathartic moment for speaking out about misogyny being publicly acceptable for the first time in a generation. It improved some media representation and allowed people to feel safe sharing their experiences, but the lack of an endgame led the movement to get tangled and sort of fizzle out in this whiff of pink pussy hat performativity. A few abusers being ejected from Hollywood is great, but to treat that as sufficient while women in the working class's struggles remained unchanged and largely unacknowledged.
Speaker 2: Means that enough wasn't done.
Speaker 3: Not to mention that when it came to intersectionality with trans women, this era was bad. So, while it was deeply in perfect, me Too's prominence in the media gave certain manisphere influencers the opportunity to double and triple down from soft misogynists who serve as an entry point for many. The previous generation had rash Limbaugh, we had Ben Shapiro and yeah, we got there.
Speaker 2: Guys like Joe Rogan.
Speaker 11: Is there a photo of this flat Earth?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: Like I just said again, there's no photo of the flat Earth from space. There's no photo of the round.
Speaker 11: Earth for a space that's not your true And.
Speaker 3: It's around this time that Rogan becomes extremely popular. He'd been around for a long time, and the podcast had been around in some form since all the way back in two thousand and nine. But before that he'd been a stand up an actor, a UFC announcer. Yes, that is how he met Dana White, and my personal favorite, a guy who makes people eat bugs on TV.
Speaker 2: Fair Fact that has known.
Speaker 9: For dreaming up some of the mouse outrageous and insane stunts you could possibly imagine.
Speaker 4: Over the past three season, contests have been confronted with over one hundred and sixty five stunts.
Speaker 5: Tonight, we're gonna count down the fifteen most outrageous moments on fear Fact.
Speaker 2: Buckle up, because it's not.
Speaker 3: Gonna be pretty, and from the beginning, mister Joe presented himself as not an outright bigot, but usually a guy who would talk to anybody. I talked about this a little bit in my interview with Becca Lewis last week, but I would classify Rogan as an I'm just asking questions guy who would have people on the show that were likely to get the show a lot of attention. He does push back on guests he doesn't agree with from time to time, but the question I wish more off his fans ask themselves is if Rogan knows who these people are in advance and probably the points they'll argue, why air something he disagrees with so thoroughly You're not dumb.
Speaker 2: You know why.
Speaker 3: It wasn't and still isn't a fully political show, which I think is actually part of its appeal. It's always been very masculine. Their own website admits that ninety percent of guests are men, and the show's early recurring guests were male stand ups of Rogan's generation, guys who aren't afraid to drop us lur or a light misogyny every few sentences. But he also hosts athletes, musicians. It was a general interest show that kind of became a lifestyle marker for its longtime listeners, but occasionally, and often successfully, Rogan would platform just a full blown supremacist, male supremacist, white supremacist and heavy hitters at that Stefan Molinu, Candace Owens, Gavin McInnis, Milo Uanapolis, Jordan Peterson, Alex fucking Jones, dude, more than once.
Speaker 11: Now you find the system, you automatically know what to do. Like when you talk about something the president word for Worden repeats me Trump as what freaks them out. Word for word. The whole speech is like whole things and I'm not on a power trip. That's what they flipped out about at the CIA and everywhere else. And they're like, well, Jones is connected to Trump, and I think Trump's like an idiot savon what does.
Speaker 2: That have to do with this speech? And to get ahead of it.
Speaker 3: Yes, Rogan has also had his fair share of leftists on you're Bernie Sanders, you're Edward Snowden's and a lot of people like to cite the fact that Rogan supported Sanders in twenty twenty, but the fact remains. Rogan has said on many occasions that he books these guests himself, and so the repeated visits of white supremacists on the show is not an accident. It's been happening for over ten years. I could trace it back to twenty thirteen. And while he still hasn't been a proper guest on the show, someone who comes up a lot on the Joe Rogan Experience is one Andrew Tait. And we'll come back to Rogan and the podcast inspired by him in a little bit, but we're going to take a detour to Andrew Tait, a male suprema currently under house arrest in Romania. So if you had the pleasure of not being aware of this guy until this moment, you might be like, what's happening in Romania? And the answer is worse than you could possibly imagine. No conversation about contemporary Manisphere influencers would be complete without discussing Andrew Tait. Next to Jordan Peterson and the Fresh and Fit podcast. This is the name that's come up in most of my interviews about significant Manisphere influencers among young people.
Speaker 2: Specifically, I talked.
Speaker 3: To a middle school teacher who is beside themselves about how frequently they'd find their students engaging with his content. The content is like this.
Speaker 13: Life for a man is harder than life for a woman. We need to have a lot of shit to be an important man. To be a woman, you need makeup. If you're truly beautiful, you don't need anything else. I've been on boats in Dubai with nineteen year old Muldovan girls. The guy who got that boat needed one hundred million dollars. That bitch makeup.
Speaker 7: Never say you go in to bed.
Speaker 8: Going to bed is emasculine.
Speaker 2: Cowards need sleep.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm texting you, you beautiful girl, but I'm tired.
Speaker 12: I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Bed, you know.
Speaker 11: I like to say, at fucking court pass one in.
Speaker 13: The morning, I'm going to work, work at this time.
Speaker 2: Money never sleeps, baby.
Speaker 12: Then I go to bed, and.
Speaker 13: The most beautiful girls in the world are not walking around shopping centers in England or fucking Nebraska or Idaho or wherever you dorks do your day game.
Speaker 11: So I people go.
Speaker 2: I picked up a nine at the mall. There's no nines in that mall, you fucking moro.
Speaker 13: I could sit outside that mall for a month and analyze every single chicken walks in there. And I'll see a single nine and you're telling me every weekend you go find the only nine in the mall.
Speaker 14: Do you fuck she's a five and you're desperate.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Tate, as you can hear, is pretty high on the extremist scale, joining the cadre of Manosphere influencers who explicitly advocate for assault and rolling back women's rights. Beginning as a kickboxer and Big Brother contestant, and Tates' popularity steeply increased throughout the twenty tens through overtly misogynist ventures like Hustler's University and The Pillthinking driven the real world and to get back to Romania. This past summer, he was arrested there for charges of rape, human trafficking, and forming an organized crime group to traffic women, and the investigation has since been expanded to include charges of trafficking miners and money laundering. He is literally under house arrest for rape right now, and his content is still very popular among children, and the Tates of the world definitely need the Joe Rogans of the world to survive, because, yes, seeing this unhinged man could be appealing to a kid on its own, but to see that same unhinged man being validated as worth talking about with a prominent, well recognized figure is a legitimizing move. And again to draw a line, and that's what the I'm just asking questions corner of the manisphere really offers. It's easier for them to remain mainstream while not getting arrested, but they are open to these ideas. Okay, we're in twenty eighteen. At this time, other already existent corners of the manispheer continued to pull in new recruits, and as I'll discuss, the manisphere expanded in every subcommunity in cells, men's rights activists, pick up artists, men going their own way, and even subgroups among these categories. And what I find particularly dangerous is that both these creators and social media algorithms became very good at finding young people who fit the bill as being susceptible to this content, Young people who are insecure in their bodies or lacking in real life spaces and support systems to turn their head another way. And remember, this is an issue that's just as much driven by social issues as it is by algorithms. Algorithms are powerful tools, but the ideology is the real weapon here. Economic disparity fuels the manisphere. Like I mentioned earlier, most Manisphere participants are encouraged to see themselves in relation to their quote unquote value and success. And in an increasingly difficult economy where men are trained to project and blame this economic insecurity on women, well you can see how it can get bad pretty quickly. And so for young men who felt socially awkward or sometimes were neurodivergent, these spaces could become tremendously appealing.
Speaker 2: And that's not even to mention how young.
Speaker 3: People are targeted at In the era of the iPad kid, we see algorithms and influencers target kids as young as ten years old, according to Manisphere influencer Andrew England in a leaked Best Social Media Practices document in the early twenty twenties.
Speaker 2: And this is extreamist group that is targeting children. So why can't we call this what it is? Extreme?
Speaker 3: Misogynist groups were very slow to be classified overtly as hate groups, and their crimes were almost never called out for what the killers like Elliott Roger were explicitly telling us that they were. The Southern Poverty Law Center was the first to add male supremacy onto their registry of Hate Groups, and that wasn't until twenty eighteen. And while this was a step forward, it's a bit concerning that it took that long, given that the SPLC had been well aware of these spaces since twenty twelve, but resisted classifying them as hate groups for half a decade. According to SPLC's Arthur Goldwag in twenty.
Speaker 6: Twelve, it should be mentioned that the SPLC did not label MRAs as members of a hate movement, nor did our article claim that the grievances they air on their websites, false rape accusations, ruinous divorce settlements and the like are all without merit, but we did call out specific examples of misogyny and the threat overt or implicit of violence.
Speaker 3: And while these institutions lagged to acknowledge what the Manisphere had become, others took it upon themselves to try and slow its spread. Following the twenty sixteen election and the Me Too movement, there was a series of online creators and thinkers who were beginning to see the Manisphere for what it was, increasing in both toxicity and size, and a space that needed to be deradicalized. If there was any chance of decreasing its influence. There were many people doing this work at the time, but I'm going to hone in on the YouTuber who I've heard most commonly cited by young men who were deradicalized around this time and in the years since. Contra points a very talented creator who is no stranger to being a main character herself. I watched these videos at the time they were released, too, and they're extremely good.
Speaker 2: Natalie, when the channel's ou.
Speaker 3: Tour and researcher, brought the perspective of a transwoman to the conversation and acknowledged that when she was living and being socially conditioned as a man, that she found the in cell and other irony pill p hate forums appealing because of the validation it gave her of her discomfort in her own body and an answer for why she was so frustrated. Of course, this answer was not true. Once Natalie began to explore her gender, identify as non binary, and eventually came out as a transwoman, she was world happier than she was living as a man who hated women. Using this experience, in addition to incredible research, talent delivery, and oh my God aesthetics. Natalie was able to bring personal experience in an impressive amount of thoughtfulness regarding these groups, and critically, she knew how to speak their language. To give you an idea of how these videos were structured, here's a clip from in Cells, a twenty eighteen video that has six million views at the time of this writing.
Speaker 12: The word in cell refers to a more specific community of mostly heterosexual men centered around forums like incell, dot me and r slash brain Cells. This group has recently gotten a lot of bad press because for the last few years they've been churning out mass murderers faster than Marvel can make Avengers movies. But most in cells aren't violent killers. They're just men who've formed an identity around not getting laid. In this video, I don't want to mock in cells, or lecture them, or even sympathize with them. I just want to understand who they are and why they're like this.
Speaker 3: Natalie Winn's strategy was extremely successful at the time because, unlike so many media outlets that were ignoring or miscovering the issue, she understood that to reach disaffected in cells it was ultimately an algorithmic game. So in order to get her videos seen, she was using the same hashtags, the same aesthetics, the same language that extremist in cell videos were, and she had a lot of success in covertly infiltrating the YouTube algorithms of the insel curious and effectively showing them some empathy and encouraging them to know themselves better versus you know, signing a Sea Org style infinity contract to hate women forever. And this turned into a series of videos that got the ContraPoints channel a lot of attention, but became too large of a burden for one person, and so eventually she moved on to other topics. And besides, her algorithmic strategy only worked as long as.
Speaker 2: That was the way that the algorithm was.
Speaker 3: As we've talked about countless times on this show, the YouTube algorithm was all but unmonitored in the mid to late twenty tens and was very difficult to do well consistently. Within Natalie successful algorithm infiltration and validates a consistent truth in the manisphere. YouTube is an integral part of it. After all, YouTube is now more popular than standard television among young men, and as of the early twenty twenties was the most used site in the world. I don't think the fact that Rogan began his podcast on YouTube all the way back in two thousand and nine is any coincidence. Maybe a lucky mistake, but what his ideology became makes it clear that the YouTube algorithm that favors his guest with extreme or weird views has worked consistently.
Speaker 2: And make no mistake, YouTube's.
Speaker 3: Algorithm was also a part of why Manisphere spaces were so successful at bringing new people in at higher rates in the mid to late twenty tens, and I want to be careful here and not blame this growth of the Manisphere on the algorithm wholesale. In our interview last week, Beccaluis emphasized that this spirit of misogyny was already very much normalized. But what algorithms can do by serving users the same shit over and over and over is make a user's worst instinct seem like a far more mainstream opinion than it actually is. If your algorithm is flooded with Manisphere content and you don't fully understand how that algorithm works, it's easy to envision a world where a kid can think, oh, everyone must feel this way. Studies now indicate that changes to the YouTube algorithm made in twenty nineteen have pretty effectively slowed the unhinged radicalization phase we heard talked about so much during the twenty sixteen election cycle and beyond. But it won't surprise you to hear that this happened, let's say, about half a decade too late.
Speaker 2: It's great that.
Speaker 3: The algorithm is no longer directly targeting people to be radicalized, but once someone is radicalized, as ContraPoints discusses in her videos, it takes a lot of time and effort to undo that. And it's no surprise that in those years of algorithmic infinite growth from the highest up at YouTube, the value of their platform skyrocketed, going from a valuation of one point seven billion in twenty twelve two fifteen billion in twenty nineteen, and its value has only continued to rise from there. Fixing and tweaking the algorithm is good, but let's not give them a shred of credits. YouTube waited until bad pr via lawsuits and public pressure made it advantageous to change their algorithm, certainly not when they first became aware of it. And remember, as Andrew England said people in the Manisphere were targeting young men specifically, and men ages eighteen to forty nine want more YouTube than they do anything else. I regret to inform you that we are still in twenty eighteen because another inflection point in the US for the Manisphere was the Brett Kavanaugh hearings. I and probably you remember these vividly. I was sitting next to producer of this show, Sophie Lichterman, at work during these hearings, as a woman named Christine blasi Ford came forward to accuse Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.
Speaker 8: I believed he was going to rape me. I tried to yell for help. When I did, Brett put his hand over my mouth to stop me from yelling. This is what terrified me the most and has had the most lasting impact on my life. It was hard for me to breathe, and I thought that Brett was accidentally going to kill me.
Speaker 3: Unlike many aspects of the Me Too movement, most manashre forum spaces met this moment with unbelievable cruelty, but others, the just asking questions guys took a slightly softer approach. Sure it's possible that Brett Kavanaugh is a rapist, but what if there's some ulterior motive as to why Ford came forward. Here's Rogan around this time.
Speaker 5: Like I'm fascinated by these Kavanaugh hearings, like I watched little clips of it before. I just have to tune out and talk away from Mary talk about fuckery. I mean, I don't know what that dude did or what he didn't do, but I think what's happening is more than that.
Speaker 3: Again, there's no one way that these spaces approach big cultural moments like this. Everyone in the media had something to say about the Kavanaugh hearings, and it remains a cultural touch point to the extent that a secretly Republican spinning instructor in Maine jump scared my entire class last summer when she began to play a Kavanaugh testimony house music remix. I'm serious, by the way, spinning is that sexy, weirdly Christian stationary bike thing.
Speaker 4: Which I gladly do, in which I fully embrace working.
Speaker 11: Out, automatic, whacking out automatic, the Catholic all girls' schools automatic still is.
Speaker 3: I will never understand in any case. The manosphere mocked, harassed, and doxed Christine Blasi Ford, lamenting that this moment was yet another example of what feminists were trying to take from them, which is interesting because Brett Kavanagh was sworn in and has gone on to vote in such horrific legislations such as overturning Roe v. Wade, voting yes on Grant's pass, a recent Supreme Court decision that makes being unhoused and arrestable offense, and of course the presidential immunity that I'm sure will not at all benefit his homie Donald Trump in his upcoming eternity term. And this testimony came less than a year after the Me Too movement began, so consider how quickly the public tone changed. The questions that Christine Blasi Ford endured from an all male Republican committee pretty closely reflected that of Anita Hill's experience all the way back in nineteen ninety one, after Hill had leveraged Alleghani of assault and harassment against Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. And I'm resisting getting into how mad these decisions make me, but the point is the institution one here. Yes, it was challenged and Ford received a lot of support, but Kavanaugh was sworn in and went on to enforce all the far right policies that antagonize anyone less marginalized than himself as intended. But the minisphere continues to cite this hearing as a public humiliation. That is a problem. So why are they doing that. I'm not saying anything new here, but I firmly believe it's because being called out for their abuse of women is embarrassing for men. The aggressor is afraid of being made to feel small, and the person who is an object to them is afraid of being killed.
Speaker 2: And the more marginalized.
Speaker 3: They are, this risk increases. But by this time the Overton window for the American public.
Speaker 2: Had clearly shifted right.
Speaker 3: American men pulled before and after the Ford testimony generally said that women were more likely to scapegoat and harm the lives of the careers of men than they had been before. You didn't need to be an active part of the manisphere to be profoundly affected by it. And there's more to the manisphere historically that we could get into. We could talk about the right leaning or far right communities that have significant overlap with the manisphere. Flat earthers QAnon. I could keep going, but we'd be here for six hours, and I promised this series would be the basics. So let's get back to Joe Rogan. In twenty twenty, Broken Show was popular enough to pull the biggest podcast deal in history, a two hundred million dollar exclusivity deal with Spotify that quite literally changed the medium forever. Thanks for fucking nothing, but he was just that big at the time. He averaged around eleven million listeners in episode across platform while welcoming guests like Ben Shapiro and Dan Crenshaw and Tony Hawk. That's nice, but it's no coincidence that Rogan never had to pivot to video the way that many podcasts are struggling to now. Rogan was pulling more from the traditional radio setups that had launched early Manisphere figures like Rush Limbaugh and seamlessly made it work for a new technological landscape. Another great example of this is Charlemagne the Gods blockbuster radio show The Breakfast Club, which began as a radio show around the same time that Rogan premiered in twenty ten and then became a nationally syndicated show in twenty thirteen and expanded to the Internet with a lot of success, and yes, Charlemagne platforms a lot of the same misogynist and particularly homophobic and transphobic messaging that's characteristic across the manisphere.
Speaker 2: What about interns here she said that you make music for gays, I do. I'm not. The Internet looked at me.
Speaker 6: With that nothing, So no, I'm saying now, I mean it's not specifically for that audience.
Speaker 2: You just make music, right.
Speaker 3: I guess that was Azalia Banks. We don't have time and there were plenty of imitators pulling from the Rogan Charlemagne playbook, including Theo Vaughn, another stand up who hosted a string of podcasts over the course of a decade before he started his own I'm Just a Guy Asking Questions video podcast to tremendous success. And so by the time Donald Trump is doing this speed run of I'm Just Asking question manisphere podcasters in twenty twenty four, UFC founder Dana White gives a specific list of people to think in this space during Trump's acceptance event.
Speaker 14: I want to thank some people real quick. I want to thank the Note Boys, Aiden Ross, Theo Vaughn, Bustle with the Boys, and last but not least the mighty and powerful Joe Rogan.
Speaker 3: And this is fascinating because, based on what I have learned and talked to other people about, these shows don't represent the Manisphere as it's existed in the last ten years, but rather expands the definition of the Manisphere to include male dominated, misogyny fueled media spaces that have explicitly endorsed or share the values of Donald Trump. Trump is now inextricable from this space, and that would be an inconceivable way to describe the Manisphere a decade ago, but I think that that's probably how we'll hear it referred to moving forward. And all of these men have experienced gaming the algorithm online. The Nilk Boys began as highly successful prankvloggers, much like fellow Trump supporters Jake and Logan. Paul Aiden Ross is a twenty something edge lord gaming streamer who got booted off Twitch for saying slurs, hosted white supremacist Nick Quentez on his streams, and is a close personal friend of Andrew Tate himself. Trump's appearances ranged from the guys asking questions like Rogan and Theovaughn, to the full blown extremists like Aiden Ross, and while it's fully possible that a handful of these guys might be deplatforms someday, if there's anything that this space has demonstrated to me is that when one manisphere influencers fall, three pop out of nowhere to take this fallen figure's place. And when people talk about building their own Joe Rogan or whatever the fuck, that's not possible for so many reasons, the primary of which is that the left just does not have the money that the far right does. Taylor Lorenz made this point explicit in an election post mortem in User mag writing, the conservative media landscape in the United States is exceptionally well funded, meticulously constructed, and highly coordinated. Wealthy donors, packs and corporations with a vested interest in preserving or expanding conservative policies strategically invest in right wing media channels and up and coming content creators. This creates a well oiled pipeline for conservative influencers. Young TikTokers, YouTubers, live streamers, or podcasters are discovered, developed, and pushed to larger platforms, often with the financial backing of conservative billionaires or organizations on the right who have long recognized the content creator industry as a valuable means of shaping public opinion and policy. Look, I didn't say it was encouraging news. YouTube remains the most popular place for this, but as streaming platforms continue to become more successful, so did the extremists that populate them. Look no further than the top ten streamers on Twitch the night of the election, with only one left leaning creator, a snpiker, obviously getting meaningful numbers while the rest were right wing streams. And if you get deep platform from Twitch, no problem. There's a right wing alternative in the form of Kick, where Aidan Ross had to switch to after his third twitchban. So I know that this was a lot of information, But how I see this space moving forward? This new manisphere is going to exist with a gradient. At its most extreme, it's full on take the women's right to vote and get them back in the home style male supremacy, And at its most mild, it's taking those.
Speaker 2: Same people and saying, I don't know, let's hear what he has to say.
Speaker 3: Misogyny will remain the bait because a dismissal of women has always been generally socially acceptable, and so many creators, along with the algorithms who push them will essentially test the waters of someone's ideology by introducing misogyny. Oh you watched a full video about how the me too movement went too far? Maybe you'll watch this video, Maybe you'll join this community.
Speaker 2: And it's not said enough. Most won't, but some will.
Speaker 3: And the more this content is pushed, the more likely it is that young men will give it a try. So is there any fucking hope of navigating out of this? On Thursday I will talk to two experts who have spent years asking that same question. My conversations with ft Signifier and Robert Evans. Up next on Into the MANI Sphere. Sixteenth Minute is a production of Whole Zone Media and Iheartwordopps.
Speaker 2: It is written, posted, and produced by me Jamie Lostus.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Sophie Lichterman and Robert Evans. The amazing Ian Johnson is our supervising producer and our editor.
Speaker 2: Our theme song is by Sad thirteen. Voice acting is from Grant, Crater and Pet.
Speaker 3: Shout outs to our dog producer Anderson, my Kats Flee and Casper and my pet Rothbert, who will outlive us all.
Speaker 2: Bye