Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: On this Tuesday, we'll check in with the NFL owners meetings, the Competition Committee Albert Brier the Monday Morning Quarterback. They are voting on the Tush push at some point today. NFL also announced there will be three games on Christmas Day, two on Netflix and one on Amazon Prime. Also Adam Lefko, host of NBA on TNT, also March Madness host.
Speaker 3: He'll join us.
Speaker 2: We'll play Phill in the Blank and Jeff Passon covers baseball for the Mothership on the rising ongoing controversy with the Torpedo Bats. Elie Delacruz of the Reds had a huge night last night with a couple of home runs his first game with the Torpedo bat. Yukon and Texas advanced to the Women's Final four, and the Pelicans officially in tank mode. We have decided to come up with tanking tops for some of these teams because CJ. McCollum and z Ion Williamson will be sitting out the remainder of the final seven games. Here eight seven seven three DP show operator Tyler sitting by. He'll take your phone call seat and has a poll question and good morning those watching on Peacock, also listening on our radio affiliates including iHeartRadio and Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: Poll question for hour two Seaton will be yeah, we got up there right now.
Speaker 4: Prediction today the brotherly shove will be made legal or illegal?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 4: Fifty four percent of the audience think that's going to be made illegal. Okay, we have a random one here from Todd most impressive one hundred and fifty mile an hour tennis serve one hundred and twenty mile an hour, golf swing one hundred mile an hour fastball, or one hundred mile an hour slap shot.
Speaker 2: Well, how many people serve one hundred and fifty miles an hour? How many swing of golf club one hundred and twenty miles per hour? There seems to be a lot of people throw a hundred miles an hour the slap shot one hundred miles pre So I would be curious how many people can do those individual achievements, because that might tell you just how rare it is and maybe how impressive it is.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul, when I thought about those, what might be more impressive is being on the other end of it, being a catcher and dealing with one oh two and being a goalkeeper. I didn't know a slap shot one one hundred, and those guys are taking it off different parts of their body. I know they're padded, but not completely padded.
Speaker 2: Well, you got to hit one hundred mile an hour fastball, You have to hit a one hundred and fifty mile an hour tennis serve.
Speaker 3: How many I one hundred and fifty miles an hour? Who serves that fast?
Speaker 6: I just did a basic look of what you know. Above average speeds are like someone once had like one hundred fifty seven or hundred and sixty mile an hour, But that's like the greatest of all time. But then there's some that go down to the one fifties and one forties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I don't I'd have to know how many people in the world can do that. It feels like there's on you know, there's a lot more guys throwing one hundred miles an hour. One twenty is at the high end for a golf swing. Slap shot one hundred miles that used to be.
Speaker 3: It felt like.
Speaker 7: Was it?
Speaker 2: Al mcguinnis didn't he have the fastest slap shot for years?
Speaker 3: Back in maybe the eighties.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paulie, there's been about fifteen recorded serves men's serves of one fifty mph or over, including guys like Andy Roddick did it and John Isner, a couple Americans.
Speaker 3: You may know, yees see.
Speaker 4: Returning a serve that fast must be almost impossible.
Speaker 3: You know who was?
Speaker 2: There were two guys who stand out, who were two of the greatest to ever do it. One was Andre Agassy and the other one was Jimmy Conners. It just felt like you're hitting bullets and they would just get their racket on it just enough to get it over so then you could have a rally. But I member Agacy, he was so good at that, And I'm sure I'm leaving out other people, but those were two that came to mind. Eight seven seven three DP show. We'll get to your phone calls coming up. Albert Breer is set to join us Robert and Naples. Hi Robert, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hi Dan? Longtime missler, first time caller five eight one eighties. Yes, I'm your average Bob softball pisney coach high school and junior college. If I keep beating people inside and they change the bats to where the sweet spots closer to the hands. Why would I not start trying to attack the outside with the BET's weaker.
Speaker 2: I sure, I guess it's all open for interpretation and discussion here. But Jeff Panson will join us next hour talk a little bit more about that. He's Albert Breer, the Monday Morning Quarterback, their senior NFL reporter, and he joined us. Joins us from Florida. The owners meetings. There's a lot on the table, a lot on the agenda. Let me start with the tush push. When is that being voted on today?
Speaker 9: I'm they're in the room now doing their votes, so that could come down, you know, anytime I'd say, over the next I would say within an hour, an hour and a half will probably know one way or the other.
Speaker 3: What's your sense?
Speaker 6: My senses?
Speaker 9: There's a ton of argument, you know in the room over and I know you know Howie rosemans for the room the other day and basically asked for the injury data and when they said, well, there isn't really any injury data. There haven't been injuries on it, he then said, okay, well give me the difference in injuries between this and a conventional quarterback sneak and they couldn't do that. Doctor Allen Sales, the chief medical officer for the league, then said like, well, you know, we're what we're worried about based on the posture is that this can this could create a catastrophic you know, or catastrophic spine injuries, you know. And then you know, Mike Rabel and Jim Harbaugh actually you know, spoke up and you know, got into the way the rule was, how specifically written it is, like it's written about you know, it's written in a way where it's you know it it it It applies to pushing behind the center. So Rabel asked, well, what if the quarterback is running behind the guard, can you push him?
Speaker 7: Then?
Speaker 9: And Harball came up with the ideas like, well what if I put too extra linement And this would be the most Harbaugh formation ever.
Speaker 6: I think, what if.
Speaker 9: I put two extra linemen behind the guards, had them push the guards and not touch the quarterback. So there's been healthy debate. I just think, I I my sense right now, Dan is if the commissioner really wants to get this thing through, and I'm a little more certain where he stands in the kickoff than I am on this. If if the commissioner really wants to get it through, maybe he tables it and they tweak it and work it a little bit and and voted again.
Speaker 7: And I don't know.
Speaker 9: If they have the twenty four votes right now to get it through and ban it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was my feeling that at first I thought there just felt like there's at this groundswell and all of a sudden there was a lot of you got to get it out of the game. And then one of my sources said, there's no data, Like they're searching for data that's not there. They're desperate to find that. And therefore, if you don't have that data, it's really hard to say we're going to create a rule, get it rid of a rule because of one team.
Speaker 9: And that's that's my problem with it, you know what I mean, It's like, why should we be getting rid of something because one team is really.
Speaker 6: Good at it?
Speaker 2: You know, what are the other things that have been or will be decided or voted on today?
Speaker 9: So the overtime, the overtime proposal passed, which basically makes.
Speaker 2: Hold on second, Albert, We've got a little breakup in your connection there so we'll come back to you. So I'd see if you can help Albert with his connectivity. There By the way, the men's final four the odds, Houston was a fore and a half point underdog. They're now a five and a half point underdog against Duke, and Florida is still two and a half point favored against Auburn Yeston.
Speaker 4: This is a terrible day to be doing all this voting and announcing all the.
Speaker 3: Sea the April fools.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was just an ESPN just had a thing that said breaking news NFL both teams will get the ball in overtime.
Speaker 3: Well this and that.
Speaker 4: I didn't even bother reading it all because I'm like, I don't even know if it's true.
Speaker 3: I really have no idea.
Speaker 2: Well, you can joke about a lot of things, but nobody wants to joke about the NFL. It just feels like that that makes headlines and people would click on that.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paulie, one thing Albert said there. I didn't know the NFL had the power to do. If they don't feel like they had the votes, they could table this to May and look at it again. I thought this was like deciding day. That's interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I just I don't know.
Speaker 2: It feels like, once again feels like the commissioner wants to take this out of the game. It's predictable, esthetically not pleasing. You're in the entertainment business. There's no data that says that, hey, look at all of these injuries, Todd, did we reconnect with Albert. We'll see if it sounds a little bit better. So the overtime rule that was just passed, can you explain that?
Speaker 9: Yeah, So, like, basically, it's going to take what's been playoff overtime the last couple of years and make it overtime across the board. The original proposal actually pushed for a fifteen minute period. They tweaked that and moved it back to being a ten minute period, which I think is interesting because if you're the team that receives the kickoff, well you just immediately go into your four minute offense, right, Like, wouldn't you immediately start running the clock. So that could add an interesting dynamic.
Speaker 6: My guess would be that they.
Speaker 9: Wanted to go to ten minute overtime because maybe the broadcast partners don't want to be pushing outside the normal window too far, And then you know, it's like adding place to a game, which is a health and safety thing. The Lion's proposal got shot down to take the automatic first down away from defensive holding an illegal contact, you know.
Speaker 6: And then the kickoff.
Speaker 9: I think it's the big one or the other big one that they're going to vote on.
Speaker 3: Here, Now, what what is it that they're going to vote on?
Speaker 9: So it's to make the kickoff the obviously the new kickoff that they debuted last year, to make that permanent, and then there are some tweaks to that that they're trying to go through. And my understanding is that Roger really wants more returns. And the good news is like the injury data that they have supports that this has worked. Is you know, what they're saying is is that the injury data shows that it's about the same injury right now on a kickoff.
Speaker 3: As you have on a on a on.
Speaker 9: A on a normal play from scrimmage.
Speaker 3: So like that part's good.
Speaker 6: They feel like too.
Speaker 9: Many teams were kicking into the end zone. So you know, like with the touch back being at the thirty they it's been proposed they moved the touch back to the thirty five. Now, you know, I know some coaches are very against that, and so well, why don't we just move the kicker back five yards so it's harder for the kicker to reach the end zone. But the goal here for Goodell seems very much to to find a way to create more kickoffs and to get to get more to create more kickoff returns. And you know, I think there's been enough argument about the different formations and again, like the different tweaks that I do think there's a chance that Roger will look at this and say we should table this until May and like go and work through all of the tweaks and decide what's right for this year, and then the vote again.
Speaker 3: On it May. What about the onside kick?
Speaker 9: Yeah, so the on side kick is that would allow and this is just.
Speaker 3: A common sense thing.
Speaker 6: I don't know why they limited it to the fourth quarter.
Speaker 9: I don't know why they limited it to you have to be behind, to be honest with you, I maybe they they I mean, it is a more dangerous place, and maybe they wanted to make sure that there were a fewer of them. But yeah, what they would do now is I think you still have to be behind. But but the on side kick would be out in all four quarters. Obviously you have to declare it because it's completely different formation and play than than am if I kickoff.
Speaker 3: I know you're busy.
Speaker 2: Thank you for spending time Albert anytime, Dan appreciate it. That's Albert Brier, the Monday Morning quarterback senior NFL reporter. Tried to get a better connection there, but uh, sorry about that, but Albert gonna have a busy day and try to have him on again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paulling, it is interesting that the kickoff that we didn't really like the setup of the kickoff. But if you can get more action, people are gonna I think the fans will love it or get used to it because you actually have action, not just a guy taking a knee.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it looks silly.
Speaker 2: It looks silly if there's no action that the guys are just standing there and then you kick it and then nothing really happens, at least if you're going to stand there like you're guarding the Palace in London and then you get to run after somebody and something's in play. Great, Or if you kick it in the end zone you get the ball at the thirty five or can you move the kicker back to where But you know, then, you know, you got guys who have really strong legs and they would probably still be able to put it into the end zone. But I think we're all in favor of having a little more action on kickoffs. Jim in Ohio, Hi Jim, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Good morning Dan? Good morning Dan. The previous caller.
Speaker 2: About you had the that's not good either, Jim, that's not good call back. See if we can get a better connection there. Lou in Indiana, Hi Lou, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Hi Dan, Thanks for taking my call. You were talking about last four year great college player. I was where Zach you would sit in there? He played four years of produce, two time national player, got to the championship game, and just happened to be playing against one of the greatest college seamson in the last twenty five years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Zach Eaty would be in there.
Speaker 2: Two time college player the year never won a national title, so that takes him out of the running with all of those great players who did win at least one national title. But Latner might be the last great decorated college basketball player because he stayed for four years with the women. They're staying for four years. That's why you know Rihanna Stewart, she might be the greatest women's college basketball player of all time. You when you go four for four and you're the most outstanding player in all four of those national championship runs, can't improve upon that? Now, you might say individually no, But if I'm looking at what you accomplished and you were the most outstanding player and your team won titles four for four, that puts you on a very, very very short list of the great women's college basketball players of all time.
Speaker 11: Yes, Marvin, And for Paige, if she wants to be on that list, she's got to win a national title this year. Obviously this is the last go round, and especially at Yukon. She doesn't crack the top five Yukon women's players of all time without a national title.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like Caitlin Clark that you have the purest with the women's game saying, well, you can't say she's the greatest of all times. She didn't win a national championship, okay, but she changed the game. The all time leading scorer. It's like Pete Maravich, Pete Marivitch all time leading scorer, didn't win a national championship, didn't even come close. Now, he didn't have a good team, but you know, Pete getting forty four to night, but they went to the NIT. I don't even know if he played in the well back then the NIT was probably still favored over the NCAA.
Speaker 3: But never won a national championship. But he was unstoppable.
Speaker 2: Whereas Bill Walton and Luel Sindor, they're winning national championships there. So if you're including Christian Laehner winning national championships, Tim Duncan didn't win anything. Grant Hill won a national title, you know. So you're you're looking at players, and if you're going to say greatest players of all time, we tend to start at the back end and then work our way to the front of how many titles do you have?
Speaker 3: Now? What else did you do? Well?
Speaker 2: Take a break, Adam Lefko on loan from TNT will stop buy and more of your phone calls as well.
Speaker 1: We're back after this Dan Patrick show. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 13: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 14: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 13: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on.
Speaker 14: In the world.
Speaker 12: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 13: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 12: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe.
Speaker 14: The most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 12: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 14: From five to seven pm Eastern two to four.
Speaker 13: Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Kovin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 14: That's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Watch a little bit of the Lakers Atlanta Hawks last night. You know, I'm always fascinated with Trey Young, but it just feels like he's had a career. Aside from going to the Eastern Conference Finals where he puts up really good numbers, it's just his team is mired in mediocrity. He's like a twenty seven to ten guy, and you go, man, and then you just go, what's his career going to be?
Speaker 15: Like?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, Paulie.
Speaker 5: Could he be one of those guys who has a second act where he's maybe Option one A with a better team?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I think he's going to need that. Yes, Ton And that was the new assistant GM of Oklahoma basket.
Speaker 6: Of what he does on the.
Speaker 2: Court, I saw that he followed Steph Curry's blueprint there. So he's the assistant GM for Oklahoma Basketball. Adam Lefko NBA on TNT Inside the NBA he hosts on Tuesday Night. He's also got a big podcast with Shaq Turner's Sports March Madness studio host He does it All? Does it All? How's the ego? I mean, you know you're getting a lot of run now people know your name. You're talking to big time celebrities. Thanks for taking time out for this little show.
Speaker 7: People stop me in the airport. It took a hit in a good way.
Speaker 3: Do they stop you in a good way?
Speaker 7: Yeah, they say, hey, stop running into the idiots. No, my ego took a huge hit after I came in here and I talked about Angel Reese and I argued with you, and the internet did stuff, and then you didn't have me on your show for like eight months. And then I would occasionally text you and be like, man, Caitlyn Clark is so good. Just trying to appease your what I thought was an ego and.
Speaker 3: So no, I just I thought I got to be honest with you.
Speaker 2: Though, Adam, I didn't know that you were doing it for a reason. When you would just randomly I wanted.
Speaker 7: To talk to you, Dan you.
Speaker 2: You would randomly send me a text going, man, that Caitlin Clark is phenomenal, and I'd be like, yeah, how am I supposed to answer that?
Speaker 3: Of course she is.
Speaker 2: Now I understand that you were trying to curry favor or trying to win me back.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because I rewatched the video and I was like I think it was actually angry and no, so to know that maybe that wasn't the case.
Speaker 3: What was the argument were you? Were you defending Angel Reese and I thought I.
Speaker 7: Was talking Angel Reese. It was like stop was at the very highest, like they had won eight in a row, and I was like, I don't know, dance, she might win Rookie of the Year, and you were like, idiot, I've been in sports for me seventy years.
Speaker 3: But all right, well, glad to have you back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is Adam Sandler, happy Gilmore hoodie.
Speaker 7: Wow. By the way, you gotta wear that, like what once a month? You can't wear that too often.
Speaker 2: I know I've probably gone to it a little too often because you know people, Yeah, he got the lime green. My daughter's in New York and she's walking along the West Side Highway where they have basketball courts tennis courts. She looks over and she sees somebody in a floral shirt and baggy basketball shorts, and she calls me FaceTime. She goes Dad, Adam Sandler is playing a pickup game and she face times me. So I'm watching Sandler for like five minutes on FaceTime, trying to yell at him, and it was you know, he gathered a crowd there going pickup basketball and he'll play anywhere with anybody. And he was in town for a charity thing.
Speaker 7: See we're watching We're watching random sixteen year olds on Twitch and there's millions of viewers. We should be streaming the Sandler pickup basketball. I would watch that on a on a Tuesday at two pm, I'm watching Sandler take down random bags.
Speaker 2: The why I'm in well, he sent me a picture the last time he was playing in Lower Manhattan with Timothy Challo May. Yeah, and actually he said Chalomey's got some game.
Speaker 3: So I was like, that makes sense.
Speaker 7: When I saw that. Timothy Challoway on two separate interviews, one said his style icon is Kenny the Jet Smith and then said his dream role is playing Ernie Johnson in a bio. I went, this dude is definitely one of the guys up at one am watching Inside. Also, when did it become biopic and not biopick? When did we make that switch?
Speaker 3: I have a problem with it as well.
Speaker 2: I thought it was it was biopick, but I've heard you know, and it's.
Speaker 7: Because someone British probably said bioperic and we went well, they're always right?
Speaker 2: Are you okay? With the Final four? The heavyweight, I couldn't love it more.
Speaker 7: I've always been someone where I like, I wish we had more upsets than the round one, but I like all my upsets to happen in the round of sixty four. And then I like amazing basketball because at this point the ratings are going to be higher than they've ever been, the storylines right themselves. I think the Duke Houston game is going to be incredible. I mean, Houston member Jamal shed got hurt last year against Duke in the sweet sixteen. They went out there, they retooled with Uzan and so the motivation from that side, the seniors versus the stud freshman, and on the other side you get the sec storyline battle that everyone's been obsessed with it. This is the best case scenario, just like the twenty seventeen Final four was amazing as well.
Speaker 2: He's Adam lefco NBA on TNT Inside the NBA, also co host of The Big Podcast with Chack dan Patrick Shut the Hell Up, Turner's Sports March Madness studio host as well. We have already trademarked this. We wanted to do tanking tops for like the Pelicans. They have to wear tanking tops because they're tanking for flow.
Speaker 7: Like pennies, like at high school practice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you must love them. You have to wear tanking tops in practice.
Speaker 7: Because tanking isn't obvious enough, then we need to make it more obvious when they're playing.
Speaker 2: Yes, as we want to shame them. Are the Sixers tanking?
Speaker 7: Yeah, like it seems like it. It seems like half the league is tanking because they too are watching the final for and seeing Cooper flag. This is the time of the year when everyone tries to solve tanking, and my solve is just watch games like Houston, LA and Minnesota Denver and just don't pay attention to them. I think it's do you change the weight of the lottery? Is if you're not in the lottery? Is everyone got a chance to have the first pick in the draft? It's the same thing. I'm an also an Eagles fan. A ban the tush push, it's I don't know. It just all seems unnecessary and excessive and arguing about like the parts of sports that you actually don't care about.
Speaker 3: What's left to be settled with two weeks to go in the season.
Speaker 7: So right now the West is a cluster in terms of seating, and I think everyone is either trying to fake like if Houston gets the two seed, sort of like we had a few years ago where everyone was jocking to get seven to face Memphis because they were younger. That seems to be the right now. I mean, you have some great teams in the West playing Minnesota's a dangerous team, the Clippers are showing to be a dangerous team. And then in the East, it's right now one, two, three, look set and then do the Pacers get the four? Where are the Bucks that I would love to see Bucks, Pacers, Piston's Knicks, I think is the best matchup in that middle ground. I don't think anyone's messing with Boston or Cleveland. But on the West, you're trying to avoid the thunder for as long as possible, and you're probably trying to take on Houston because they can't score in a half court offense. And like we saw with Memphis all those years, you could be great in transition and offensive rebound, but once the playoffs start and it's called differently. If you can't score in a slow down game, they're going to be in trouble.
Speaker 2: Does the success of the Lakers hinge on them playing defense?
Speaker 7: You know, in last night they put up one of three, I would say it it is. I would say also, it's the other three point shooters. Last night gave Vincent, Dori, Anthony Smith hit twelve threes combined and put up forty points. And so Luca and Lebron are going to do their thing. I don't think we're going to get Austin Reeves dropping thirty points all the time. But who else could hit threes when Luca and Lebron dish Because Luca's gravitational pull, as you know, is so strong, just like it was in Dallas. You need the Reggie Bullocks. You need those guys on the outside that can hit those threes when it matters. Defensively, though, Can we rely on lebron weak side blocks and to clutch every game? I don't think. So they went out and tried to trade for Mark Williams, the center for Charlotte, who just went off for another eighteen and thirteen. I don't know what happened with that injury scan, but they showed us right there they needed another big They didn't have it. And that's why for me, the Lakers run is more likely next year condition.
Speaker 3: More all in on okay See or Cleveland.
Speaker 7: Okay see that that was the wrong Eastern Conference team to mention for me, I'm a Boston guy. I think that Boston right now is a little bit like Oka See where I feel like and I don't think they're intentionally resting, but hey, Jalen Brown, you're off to that, just like okay See, Hey Jalen Williams takes the more rest Boston right now, I would take over. I just I'm still I'm still I need to see it with Cleveland and I'm just boring like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I and the same thing with OKAC. We still need to see it.
Speaker 7: I don't know why I have more faith in Oklahoma City. Maybe it's because and I know, Cleveland battle Boston and battle back, and I've beaten Boston. I watched that okay see Boston game a few weeks ago with Chuck and I was just I was flabbergaston, Like we were just sitting there watching Oklahoma City play defense. And typically, like last night, Boston'll swing, swing, swing, and by the fourth swing they caught you in a bad defensive shift. But Oklahoma City is five guys that can all switch. It's lou Dor, It's Caruso, both of their bigs, you know, Chett Hartenstein can switch. And I think against Boston you need to have that position versatility, and I think they have it, and I think I don't know. I trust Dagnal a lot. I trust. I do trust the Thunder even though they haven't done it.
Speaker 2: Who's more interesting when the camera's not on Barkley or Shack.
Speaker 7: Interesting in different ways. Chuck is so Chuck will go out in public and we'll interact with everybody, which I find endearing but also wildly annoying because you're never going to get the story finished. So then Adam, as I was telling you the Keda life is, Oh you want a picture? Okay? Can you send them around the drinks? Yeah? Where are you from? Honey? That's great? And you're like where Shaq is like, we're going to go into a private room by ourselves, and he's gonna, you know, Shaq is going to tell you business stories about how he walked into a boardroom. Was like, I'm sure, whereas Chuck is going to tell you a story about you know, Barcelona in ninety two. Very different people, but they're the best when they're together. You know, they're like they're peanut, butter and jail.
Speaker 2: I like though that Chack didn't want money from a company. He wanted part of the company he wanted.
Speaker 7: And now Chuck is finally in his equity bag. You know, now he's got Redmont and Vodka and he's got all of his companies. I want to know, you know, there's a there's a chill that goes through the halls of TNT when we get an alert that says Charles Barkley on The Dan Patrick Show today, And I just want to know, like, is this like the Manchurian candidate. Do you have like a little node in the back of his brain where you get him to say anything? Like what have you done to this man? How have you controlled his brain?
Speaker 2: One of the first times I met him, I did a Sunday conversation when he was still no he was with Phoenix, although I did meet him when he was with the seventy six ers, but he talked about being a woman, and so we had somebody at ESPN kind of make him up as a woman and we use the picture on the Sunday conversation with him, and he got the biggest kick out of that, and then I like I would just see him and he stayed in touch, and it always feels like like that's our normal conversation. If I'm around Reggie Miller, that'd be a normal conversation. Around Charles, normal conversation. So all I try to do is bring normalcy to something that isn't normal, and that's an interview over zoom and Jack falls or Charles falls for it every time.
Speaker 7: It's I think he loves he loves talking to people. He loves to talk to is one. Both of those two people are top two in terms of love being themselves. Chuck loves being Chuck and Shack loves being Shack and they've earned that. But Chuck to a tea like last night, I thought it'd be funny because I hit a parleg C and T and Chuck has yet to hit one this year, and that was my second, and so I was like, let me FaceTime, Chuck will understand, I know, and he picked it up and I knew I was in trouble. Dan when he had his clear glasses and they were towards the edge of his nose, because as Chuck is out, they get further and further down, and then the talking gets louder and louder. And so I tried and he he got me, and then I facetimed him afterwards, and all I heard was like ten dudes laughing, And I was like, where are you? He was like, oh, I'm out with the fellas. We were watching you. And when I saw you FaceTime me, I was like, you knew and you still tried to end my life and he was like, yeah, yeah, that's that's Chuck Man language. He's the goat.
Speaker 3: Great job. I hope you're having fun.
Speaker 7: I'm having a blast. Can I ask you for advice?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 7: Did you ever cover like tennis, like extensively or just sports singing?
Speaker 3: I reported on it.
Speaker 2: I don't like the US Open, but I didn't do anything where it was, you know, like Chris Baller calling matches.
Speaker 7: Oh no, never. We're hosts, Dan, We're not play by people. They're a whole weird. They like being on the road and staying in the counter lodges. That's not our lives. Yes, we like cushiness. We like someone that comes and puts our if feedback.
Speaker 3: Are you going to be a host.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm I'm at the point where I'm thinking, you know, I'm starting to doing March Madness, and I'm thinking about other sports. What about baseball, about tennis? Things like that. How what is when you start to go, Okay, I'm going to throw myself into another sport. I'm going to really study and learn. How do you how do you say, well, the greatest of all time? How do you throw yourself into a new sport?
Speaker 3: I throw it.
Speaker 2: I go into the deep end, but I go into the deep end with people who have been with the sport for a long long time.
Speaker 3: So they are my floaties. I'm in the deep end.
Speaker 2: But I have these guys Mike Millberry when I did hockey, you know, you can just ask these guys. There's so many guys that, especially in that sport, who want to help you. And that helped me greatly when I went to the Olympics. You throw yourself in with Bob Costace and al Michaels. I have the two greatest and you know, so now I just take I just listen.
Speaker 3: But if you're going to.
Speaker 2: Do that, be around people who have done this, because they want to know if you're real or not. They and I just go in and I just say, hey, as if I don't know anything, help me understand these things. And you'll be amazed at how much help that you like, Doc Emrick, I just wanted to know how much he why do you love the game so much? And he gave me that costas with the Olympic and get you know, you work so hard, you know, consecutive days. It's a grind working the Olympics. But he said, you'll get like it'll hit you and you'll get caught up in it and you'll just be on overdrive. You'll just be on adrenaline. And it was great. You know, those are very very beneficial. But as a result, I'm doing that now. When Tony Dungee and Rodney Harrison came in to football tonight, I said, I want you to put your egos to the side. I'm going to help you learn TV. You know football, I'm going to help you with TV. And I think that's the important part is you can play a role to other you know, people coming up, but people will play a role with you to help you understand the nuance certain things you say and don't say. Terminology is really big if somebody says, oh, you're in the bust or you're in the sand trap, Well, it's like you get the people who will watch the sport will go be Oh, that guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Oh he's out at home base. No, it's home place. You know, silly things like that. But the more you're around people who love the sport and they're almost watch dogs, lifeguards for it, that'll help you.
Speaker 3: I think it was beautiful.
Speaker 7: I appreciate you, Dan, And Hey, Caitlin Clark MVP. Baby, you got it this year, Dan, this is the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think she's finally gonna get the credit that she's due.
Speaker 7: I just wish people would pay mark, you know. I just feel like they need to watch her.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I don't know where they're going to watch her or find her. I don't know if she's got any national TV, but she deserves. Thank you. Lefko, love you.
Speaker 3: That's Adam Lefko.
Speaker 2: He's popular NBA on TNT Inside the NBA also co host of the Big Podcast with Sequilau. Neil will take a break. Phone calls coming up. Top of the hour, we discussed the tour pedo bats.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Touchbacks on kickoffs will now be moved to the thirty five yard line after being approved this morning. It used to be the thirty. The on side kick amendment will be voted on in May. They have tabled that. More phone calls coming up. Time to play fill in the blank? I read a statement, read a sentence, and then you fill in the blank, Todd, the tush push play is blank being pushed out, Seaton overcovered, Marvin anti climactic Hall on life support, the NFL owner's blank Todd.
Speaker 16: Meetings with an ass lurl okay, Seaton meetings, laural Marvin, meetings with two s's okay, Paul meeting thing, The torpedo bat is blank, Todd.
Speaker 6: As soon to be banded, gimmick.
Speaker 3: Satan, awkward, Marvin amazing, Paul Shady, the blank A's Todd.
Speaker 2: I'm going with the Triple A's Okay, Triple a a's.
Speaker 6: Minor league stadium, minor league.
Speaker 2: Organizations playing in Sacramento. But they're not this Sacramento A's. They're no longer the Oakland A's the Triple.
Speaker 17: A's Satan, the Everything That's Wrong with Owners as Okay, Marvin, the Blank, A's the Homeless, A's Paul the interim as.
Speaker 3: The New Orleans Pelicans are Blank Todd tanking toppers, Seaton.
Speaker 4: Sitting at their future.
Speaker 5: Marvin getting ready for Cooper, Paul taking advantage of a loophole.
Speaker 2: April Fool's Day is Blank Todd, lame, Seaton, lame.
Speaker 3: Marvin, lame, Paul annoying. It's foolish. That's it.
Speaker 2: We've done it. We've done fill in the blank. Congratulations, Yeah, round of applause for everybody here. Mike in New Jersey, Hi, Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: Thanks for taking my call this morning, Dan, appreciate it. Uh five eleven and a tone one five. So I've been with my girlfriend for about seven months now and things have been going great. We've been active and all that, and uh, I wake up and and from time to time we've been talked about going back to our celibate ways before we get married, and uh, we haven't taken that on. But this morning she wakes up and she says, Uh, it's like, Mike, I think we need to become celibate until until we get married. And uh, I was taking it really hard, and I was like, all right, I'm gonna do this, do this for my girlfriend. And then and then as she gets ready and goes out the door, and she's like, she's like, by the way, Uh, April Fool's on the celibacy. Oh, thanks, welcome.
Speaker 2: All right, well, thank you, Mike. Uh credit to your girlfriend there. We're active in stuff. I'm like, uh, okay, getting busy. Harpo in South Carolina. Hi, harpo, Thank you McCall deeply.
Speaker 8: Uh, that's the real deal in the Coastal Carolina freebie. No April Fools there, but it is more credible being close to the coast than in the Toddler being the King of comedy.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Coastal Carolina is closer to the coast than todd is to the King of Comedy. All right, Yeah, we were talking about Coastal Carolina where you go to their football games and all the snacks are free, SODA's, hot dogs, nachos, unlimited popcorn, beer. You still have to pay for certain other specialty items, and we thought, wait a minute. You know, you get about twenty one thousand for each home game. That's a lot of snacks that you're handed out. But then Seaton pulled the curtain back and he's like, uh, you know, they probably get you on an app and then all of a sudden, you know, they monetize that somehow.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's the case or not, but the story was definitely like every time you go up there, you have to use this app, and we're going to release that app eventually. Like, well, there's gotta be some kind of data play there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, maybe so yeah, Paul, I.
Speaker 5: Wonder if that will catch on people like to imitate other schools. Will other schools say, look what they're doing.
Speaker 2: I don't think Ohio State and Michigan or do that for one hundred thousand people Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Everything's free. Do you have treadmills there?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 3: Do you have health experts? There?
Speaker 6: A coupon for we Gov help them out?
Speaker 3: Give me something.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on the way, Yes, we have to talk about the torpedo bats.
Speaker 3: Jeff Passing for the Mothership will join
Speaker 2: Us Final Hour on this Tuesday, Straight Ahead Dan Patrick Show.