Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, we are experiencing technical difficulties.
Speaker 2: This is the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 3: Hey, everybody, welcome back to the top ten best Bobby Cast moments. At twenty twenty three, let's do the top five Bobby Casts of the year, and not just my picks because in the last episode at Adam Durretz from County Crow's one of my favorites, but also we're factoring in all the episodes and how many times they've been downloaded or streams, So you guys are a part of this as well. If you miss part one, go back check it out. So we'll do some clips. Jake Owen at number five, episode three eighty one, And it's kind of cool, sometimes weird, sometimes hard when it's a friend that comes in because I already know a lot of things, so it makes it weirder for me to ask questions if I already know the answer. But this one it was fun because not only is he a friend, but it got emotional when he was talking about the highlight of his career and also his sobriety and a health update after going to the hospital exhaustion. Here he is Jake Owen at number five from episode three eighty one, And you said I haven't slept on a long time. That's what I'd come to find out after going to the hospital. That's my only issue. I literally do not sleep.
Speaker 4: Anything that's happened since then.
Speaker 5: What was that about?
Speaker 6: That was about me not sleeping? Man, I just wasn't sleeping. I was losing a lot of weight. I was probably just like getting all I don't know, it's weird because I'm not really been doing anything any different since then.
Speaker 7: Sometimes you just need people to tell you're okay.
Speaker 4: Really, is that what they told you?
Speaker 5: You're okay?
Speaker 6: Yeah, everybody's like they were, Yeah, they they were Like they made me feel better than I did by just telling me things that I don't know that I needed. They were just telling me honest things, like I'd convinced myself I was, you know, dying, Like I'm going to die out here on the road. Like I'm out here, you know, doing this all the time, and I'm missing little things back home, and my family's like been affected by it, and I don't want this to be the way that life's supposed to be, Like this is what I love? Like, why is it the thing I love? It's like that song by Alan Jackson. You know everything I love I'm want to have to give up because everything I love is killing me.
Speaker 7: That's how I felt like. I felt like I was living an Alan Jackson song.
Speaker 3: So, whenever you find out that something isn't really wrong with you, does that change your perspective?
Speaker 4: Did you live a different way?
Speaker 5: Like was there?
Speaker 4: Was it lighter?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think so. I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think Eric would tell you that. I just I think, if anything, what I found out was is kind of what Caitlin was saying earlier, like just kind of like relax a little bit and everything's gonna be okay. Like don't you can convince yourself such negative things when that's all you stress on and harp on. But when you're like, hey, nothing I worry about over the next fifteen or twenty minutes, which to personally, sometimes.
Speaker 7: To all of us, can seem like a lifetime.
Speaker 6: Whatever those next You could spend those next fifteen or twenty minutes just doing something different, being finding something else to be happy about.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like you're a happier person now than five.
Speaker 7: Years ago than five years ago? I hope?
Speaker 5: So three years ago?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean I hope I'm happier today than I was yesterday.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like you are purposefully happy?
Speaker 6: I feel like I'm still figuring everything out, man, I don't. I feel like I'm still like I'm forty one, but I still feel like that twenty two three year old kid that drove here, Like I know I can do this.
Speaker 7: I'm excited to do it. Like can I you still that guy?
Speaker 3: I feel more positive I still am to me than in past years.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean because well, thankfully thanks. I don't. I'm not.
Speaker 6: I don't intentionally wake up every day and go like I'm gonna be way more positive today, which I probably should.
Speaker 7: I try to preach that.
Speaker 6: I think people listen to my music and the type of music I put out would think that, like, man, this guy's barefoot and in the sunshine all the time, and he's just like he's a dude, like and I am what I have just like everyone else. You know, things that I'm just trying to be better at. I try to learn something each day, so we talk about the masterclass stuff like I try to. I looked at Erica this morning and was like, hey, we like like we have a lot of friends, right now going through like a lot of crazy stuff. And and that's what even Tyler Hubbard not to drop his name again, said to me at lunch and he's like, how's everything with you?
Speaker 7: Man? Everything good?
Speaker 6: And I'm like, yeah, it's awesome, Like life is great, man. And I say that because just this morning I told Eric, I was like so many friends going through so much stuff right now that like we're not and life is good. And that's when you really have to like, when life is good is when you really need to be thankful for it. Then when life isn't and you're it's like when you're sick and you're you were trying to remember what it felt like to feel good. And so I feel really good right now and I want to remember what this feels like. And I want that to spread throughout my family as well and hopefully telling other people too, man, life is great.
Speaker 7: It's awesome.
Speaker 6: That also helps them because nobody wants to hear someone say, hey, man, how's everything and then you sit there and listen to them just.
Speaker 7: You know, nobody wants to hear that.
Speaker 3: More front lobe, front lobe all day, baby, let's go, that's the that's the saying stay in that front lobe.
Speaker 4: Man trademark that so the front because the front lobe does.
Speaker 6: What front lobe, from what I've learned, is where you know your majority of children really live and until they progressively you know, through experiences and things like that, you tend to live more with the way we're wired as humans in a more backlob brain front lobe being more joyful, creative, spontaneous, care free, all those which are great qualities. Rear being more protective, anxious, the things that we don't really need in our lives.
Speaker 7: So you can have the choice of where you kind of want to live.
Speaker 4: You do not have Jaco in dot com, but you have Jaco and dot net.
Speaker 7: Yes, what's the deal?
Speaker 3: What will they not sell it to? Or are they asking an insurmount of amount of money I'd rather?
Speaker 7: I don't know. I don't never really thought of it that way. I just knew it. When I couldn't get the calm, I was like, I'm cool with net. You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I'm about that Net sounds front love to me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I was cool that. I never really overthought it like that. So you asked me, I don't know that I've rever you know now he goes Backlobe now Glow Viral Sounds Club, do the manager?
Speaker 7: Why do I not have jacoon dot Com?
Speaker 4: Now I got a couple more questions for you.
Speaker 3: There was a story about you in the Tennessee n because there was a restaurant and Kaitlin and were having lunch. We saw a big line coming out of a place where we re lunch. We're like, one, what's going on over there? Then we found out I was a place that was closing after I don't know how many years, and they were closing because they wanted to close, they wanted to retire, and they were doing these stories about it leading up to it. And there was a story and you weren't interview for the story. It wasn't you putting it out there, but the owner of the story. And I'm gonna have you tell it, but don't, oh Man, just like literally tell it. I'm begging you to tell the story as is. The story was about you helping them out years and years ago. It never came out until she told the story. Can you tell me that story?
Speaker 7: Yeah? And I told you this.
Speaker 6: That's why I was so flattered by it. Really, And there's a great George Steinbrenner quote that I saw on the wall when I went to Yankee Stadium one time that says, like, you do good things for other people, but if someone else finds out about it, then you did it for the wrong reasons. Like you you're supposed to do good things for people because it's the thing to do, not for the people to talk about it.
Speaker 7: And so this.
Speaker 6: Particular scenario, when I moved to town, which is a great kind of segue off of what we all talked about earlier, I would go to Arnold's on Eighth Avenue because it kind of felt like home to me, Like my mom always made like home cooking, and I grew up that way down home, down South with my grandmam, my granddad. My nanny was a good cook still is. And so I'd go in there and have like raire roast beef and mashed potatoes and gravy and whatever. And I got to know the people that owned Arnold's, which has been there since I think the fifties, and everybody from Dolly Parton to Charlie, you know, John Prime, all kinds of folks going there.
Speaker 7: And I just loved it.
Speaker 6: It's like meeting three meaning you go in there and grab your your tray and walk down the line and grab the food that you want to grab. And so I would do that. And uh, Jordan Spieth is calling me. Should I answer this?
Speaker 9: Ye?
Speaker 4: Answer it?
Speaker 7: He did this to me on an interview one time.
Speaker 4: Answer what's up?
Speaker 7: What's up?
Speaker 4: Telling with me?
Speaker 6: I am a very random I am in the middle of an interview right now, and I'm with Bobby Bones. Actually I'm doing a radio like a set a podcast. And I said, and my phone was ringing. I was gonna send it to voicemail and then a lot like the last time you were on an interview, I guess always like Jake, Oh, it's calling your phone, So I said, I had to answer. So are you just excited about our playing possibilities coming up?
Speaker 4: I'm just really excited that we're finally.
Speaker 10: Going to win the.
Speaker 4: I'm going playing together.
Speaker 7: We are, Yeah, we are. Yeah, I'm going off. I will I will, I will buzz I'll buzz you back. All right, sounds good to see it. See you buddy, he's right here. See man.
Speaker 4: Never heard of him anyway.
Speaker 6: That's so cool man, like you have like you know what I mean, Like that's cool, Like I know that he's even my partner, but like sometimes I'm like, are we really partners?
Speaker 7: We're buddies. You know, that's cool to get a call awesome.
Speaker 3: I mean I played with him because you were like, hey, you should play with him, and you call Jordan.
Speaker 4: You're like, hey, yeah, play with Bobby and I play.
Speaker 7: Awesome, dude, he's a great.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So you're you're at this restaurant.
Speaker 6: At this restaurant, uh, and I meet you know, Rose Arnold, who's who runs it, and her son's Khalil Mons, France.
Speaker 7: She has two daughters.
Speaker 6: I got to know all them for years, and Uh, one of the times I was in there visiting, Mons was going through UH had.
Speaker 7: Like some type of a brain tumor. I think it was.
Speaker 6: I had to have surgery like on his on his skull to remove this or do some sort of procedure.
Speaker 7: And they were really worried. She was worried about how they were going to fly with the pressure.
Speaker 6: And I don't know, just I have a tour bus, so I wasn't thinking or anything like just take my tour bus.
Speaker 7: I'm not on the road.
Speaker 6: Take it up there. My driver will pick you guys up. Tomorrow, take you there, bring you back whatever you need, like just say, And they did.
Speaker 4: What year was at I don't guess two.
Speaker 6: Thousand and ten maybe, I guess twenty ten probably, And they were always so sweet about it, you know, like I go in there like I always did, and like there'd be times where they would just be like, hey, we want to take care of your lunch or something like you don't have to do that, like it's not a big deal. They just always treated me like their family. And anyways, it was really flattering to think that as many people they've had come through that restaurant, as many scenarios and the types of folks that have come through there, and all the incredible stories I'm sure they have to share for what that restaurant became to people, like a second home, a place of comfort. Like to think that when I saw that article that day, like it got to me because there are times where you wonder if, like when you do good for people like theyre you don't do it, like I said, because but you do it because you hope that they remember the kind of person you are.
Speaker 7: And it just made my day.
Speaker 6: I was like, dang, like they could have talked about anything over the last fifty years of this restaurant, and she just happened to talk about me doing that for them and to me to be able to be remembered for that kind of thing. Forget everyone else knowing, because I never wanted, never cared for anyone else to know, but that it meant enough to her and their family that they remembered me like that and not like she didn't say, like this guy was a singer, you know whatever, Like it was just someone that did something for them and their family. Like that's what I that's that's my coolest story about Nashville so far, like people of what people remember me for.
Speaker 7: So that was cool, man, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: It's cool. And number four it's Dan and Shay for episode four fourteen.
Speaker 3: It's a big one because they shocked everyone on social media with the news that they almost split up. So it was nice to sit down with them and hear their sides of the story.
Speaker 4: We talked for a full hour.
Speaker 3: They shared what they did to create their healthier friendship and what they talked about in their conversation that saved the band. And remember, if you want to hear the whole thing, go back and check out episode four to fourteen with Dan and Shay here. They are my number four moment. Sometimes when I make a change in my life, it's got to be because it gets to a point that it is so drastic that I can realize it where it's oh, I'm not in a good place. I mean when I went to on site, I wasn't in a good place. So it took me to actually hit we'll call bottom. You know, my mom would go to rehab, she would hit bottom, and then she would go would you say in you guys's relationship, because you got to hit a bottom to get to actually have the desire to get out of it or to get back in it.
Speaker 7: That's a great point.
Speaker 11: If you never hit that rock bottom, you might not realize something's wrong or that you need to make a change.
Speaker 5: And I had it for you guys.
Speaker 11: I absolutely hit rock bottom. I'll you know, speak on my side of that story and you know shake and speak on his.
Speaker 7: But that date was December. It was like first week at December.
Speaker 11: Of twenty twenty one, so this was when we finished the arena tour. You know, you work your whole life to get to a place where you can sell out an arena tour we did. We put that on sale in October of twenty nineteen, you know when ten thousand Hours with Bieber came out. Put this tour up, sell out MSG We sold out Staples Center, two nights at Bridgetone, like all these bucket liss milestones. We're riding high. It's amazing, and then boom COVID happens. It's all gone, and it's like, man, what a that'll mess with your head. So we're juggling that for a couple of years. We finally get back out there. We did the tour. Shout out to our team and you know, everybody out on the road, the promoters, you know in the fans for hanging out of those tickets, like it was a tremendous success given the circumstances. But I think I was chasing a lot of the wrong things, you know, speaking to the bigger houses. Thing a little bit, comparison. We all know that comparison is the thief of all joy, and I think we all get caught up in that, especially when everything is so on display. Was social media. You know, you can look at stats, you can look at likes, Everything is just so right there for you to compare yourself to the best of the best of what somebody else is putting out. And I think I was caught up in that in a crazy way.
Speaker 7: On social media.
Speaker 11: I was, you know, being the content guy because we're too stubborn to have somebody help us with it, which we need to change that at some point. But you know, We're on the biggest tour of our lives and I'm like, well, crap, you know, we sold out last night. Let me make this video of us doing you know, We're in Tulsa at the Bok Center and I'm like, we got to get this content of us like jumping in the crowds here and that stuff's all cool.
Speaker 7: But it was like all to like let.
Speaker 11: The industry know that we're out here doing well. And I was chasing that too much and not enjoying the moment. I was like maybe looking forward too much to what was next, and I just really spiraled. It made me resent music because I wasn't doing anything that was related to music. It was like all in the name of trying to get content, and it was like I was not appreciating the fact that there were fans there singing the words back to us and that wasn't appreciating the fact that I was getting to sing with my best friend or play with our band who we grew up with. Like all these incredible, incredible moments passed me by, and December, you know, came around.
Speaker 7: Twenty twenty one.
Speaker 11: We finished the tour in Boston and I got off stage more like defeated than I had ever been. And you know how it is, It's like, it's really hard to be in this position. And I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about it, but I think that's why a lot there's a lot of mental health issues and depression in our industry, because if you're really struggling with something to the public, you feel this responsibility to be a superhero. You feel this responsibility to be unbreakable. You know, like on stage you have to be like, this is the best night of my life, when in deep down you could be like, I'm really hurting right now, you know. And this was before we knew to talk to each other, to be open about it with our fans. You know, this is a whole new chapter in an amazing era. But that moment I got off stage and I was like, I'm done. I don't know if I could ever do this again. And I didn't really say that to anyone. I think Abby kind of knew it. But she is so patient, so incredible, so encouraging with me to kind of work through these issues, you know, work on myself. And I came home from that and.
Speaker 7: I like literally laid on the couch.
Speaker 11: You know, I'm always going, always doing something, just like you man, always on the move, always grinding, and that was like the first time in a long time that I just kind of laid there for like two weeks to process everything. I was like, I might be done, I might retire whatever, moved back to my hometown, figure it out.
Speaker 5: But like I've I'm burnout.
Speaker 11: It was like the most extreme burnout I had ever felt, and I felt like I needed to get myself right first before I made any progress with Shay and our relationship, whether we were going to keep the band together or whatever. It was like I needed to get myself right on a personal level. I need to fall back in love with music. And you know, after doing a lot of soul searching, I realized that previous year I'd written four songs total, two of them were Christmas songs. Two of them were for another band, and that is the thing that brings me the most happiness and fulfillment is creating, being in the studio making music. And I wasn't making any music, and I was like, maybe I start there. So I went out on this little trip for there's a band called the band Camino good Buddies of ours killing it right now. They did a little writing retreat for their album out in Colorado. I was like, you know what, I'll head out there with the boys. It's no pressure, you know, like not writing for Dan and Shaye thing where we're saying like, okay, we've had these kind of hits, we need this thing. It's like just a little bit more free form. And if I don't get a single song out there, I'll get to go skiing.
Speaker 7: Like it'll be fun.
Speaker 11: So I did wrote a couple songs and I was like, this is fun, Like there's no pressure. We're not writing for a specific you know, Dan and Shay thing, like just making music for the sake of making music. And I came home did the same thing with a couple other buddies. I was like just trying to do it a couple of days a week, and I was like feeling so elated. I was so happy once you know, that went on for a couple months and I just got to this amazing, amazing place and I was like, you know what, I got to get myself right with Shaye.
Speaker 7: We were about to go out.
Speaker 11: On tour with Chesney, which is Stadium's bucket list tour. I mean, that's like for a support slot. That's the pinnacle of it. And we had that booked and I came to this place. I was like, I got right with myself. I owe it to myself. I owe it to Shay, and I owe it to Dan and Shae the entity to figure this out whether we end this band and we right off into the sunset, we should go enjoy playing in these football stadiums, or this could be a launching off point for the next chapter. And I was like, I got to hit Shae. We got to have this conversation tonight. So I called Shay and I was like, yeah, that's.
Speaker 5: What I was calling you.
Speaker 9: No, I mean, and I hadn't talked to him, you know, and this was a this it was kind of a conversation.
Speaker 5: I had kind.
Speaker 9: Of knew his kind I knew he you know, kind of how he felt. Of like I knew his burnout, I didn't know the extent of what was going on. But he texted me and was like, hey, man, you want to come over tonight and I was like, okay, he wants to talk about something.
Speaker 4: I thought.
Speaker 9: It was like this is going to be kind of it honestly in.
Speaker 5: My in my heart of heart.
Speaker 9: So I was like, I think that this might be the end of our band. And I was like, yeah, man, when you know, when do you want to do this?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 9: And he was like I can come over there right now. And I was like, oh, okay, he wants to talk like right now. And then I was like, I mean talk about full blown panic, you know, because all this stuff started coming up and I was like, oh no, Like I was not prepared. This was like a normal Sunday night or something, and I'm like, I'm gonna I told my wife. I was like, I'm going to meet with Dan and I and we didn't really talk about it, and we both kind of looked at each other like I think I'm going to go in my band with my best friend that I haven't been close with in several years. It was just kind of this whole understood like this, we'll deal with this when, We'll deal with the wreckage when I get back, you know. And I just remember driving over there, just like sweaty palms, be like, dude, this is this is heavy, you know. And I was like I was giving me emotional right, this is to teach you how to this is just.
Speaker 5: Paying you forgive me an example.
Speaker 9: But I was like, man, this is like the last ten years of my life is about to end, you know, and this is about we're about to you know whatever. And I get there and it was just like this, you know, what's up, dude, you know. And I remember we sat there and Dan just like starts to apologize for like the last ten years. That prompted me to apologize for stuff, and you know, that's the long and short of it. We sat there until I think I got over there, like maybe I don't know, seven thirty after I put the kids to bed, I went over there.
Speaker 5: We stayed up and talked till.
Speaker 9: Like three in the morning and just hashed through all of these things, and a lot of that was like all right, we need to really appreciate like what we've gotten to do, whether we continue to do this band. It wasn't like we were dancing around the fact that we both were kind of feeling like we don't know if we're going to do this anymore. But it was like, man, let's let's ride off into the sunset. Either way, let's Dan and Shay. Is always going to be was something that Dan said. He was like, We're always going to be a tattoo on somebody's arm, always gonna be a first dance song.
Speaker 5: And I was like, that's great.
Speaker 9: I remember, like because this was kind of after we'd had our like really heavy talk, you know, and we had kind of gotten the tears out and all that kind of stuff, and I remember like watching him like grab his phone and type in that title, you know, and I was like, that's a great title. And it was just it was just an incredible night.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 9: It's like, you know, I feel like a lot of people were are scared to say, you know, like, oh, yeah, we got together and.
Speaker 5: We cried, like just a couple of friends.
Speaker 9: That's that's pretty lame, Like no one would want to say that out loud, but like it was, man, a lot of tears were shed and a lot of stuff was really figured out, and it wasn't like we figured out all of our problems, but acknowledging that it mattered enough to both of us that we would try. And it was just after that, it was our plan of action was to all right, let's hang out three times a week, let's get together, and let's have no agenda.
Speaker 3: It's just the relationship more than what the relationship could do. Exactly was let's make sure we do the relationship.
Speaker 9: Let's be let's be friends again. Because I feel like that's something that people don't see from the outside to be very easy to be, like, yeah, we're in a band, and I feel like every duo in history, especially in country music. I mean, we've had so much devastation. You know, that is wreckage that has been left through different duos, friends of ours that have that have very publicly happened, And what you don't see is like the behind the scenes stuff that is just like their friendship is. If that gets wrecked, it's just.
Speaker 5: A matter of time.
Speaker 9: It's a ticking time bomb of you know, of your band separating because you're just going in different directions. And even though Dan and I are such different people at the core, like on every level, that's the reason that it works is because we have extreme respect.
Speaker 1: For one another.
Speaker 9: And even when your lives are kind of going like this, it's so important to kind of realign yourselves. And even though, like you know, I've got three kids at this point, Dan's got dogs, we've got our families, like we have our own responsibilities, but acknowledging like, hey man, I respect the hell out of you for what you're doing, and no matter if I believe the same thing that you believe or not, I respect what you believe. And we both have this band in common, and we have our fans in common, and I think the world needs to needs to view that too. You know. It's like we have so much you know, separation in our country and all these things, and it's like no matter. I feel like when I was growing up, that was kind of the message, like, all right, you believe this and I believe this. We're gonna scream at each other and then we're gonna go grab a beer, you know, And I feel like that's kind of been lost on the world, a little bit of the the value of a good fight, you know. That's the next video that's coming out. It's the follow up to The Drive it's called the fight. It's gonna be really good. But I feel like it was. You know, we had to learn to respect each other enough to have those hard conversations when we knew that if things are if I have a problem now, like it's even happened in like the last you know, six months or so, where we're like, okay, this is I think this is how it should be.
Speaker 5: Now I think this is how it should be.
Speaker 9: We talk it out and it's like, awesome, this way is clearly better because we both care, we want the same thing, and we learned how to like focus that stuff and really put a focus on communication, just like in any marriage would be. If you just don't talk about something, That's how us guys. Most times, I think like I fixed it.
Speaker 3: It's a issued toyeah, I don't say anything about it. Yeah, I let it live, and then I just keep pushing it down. But my wife knows she has to go and get it because I will not. Yeah, and it doesn't put it her in a great place.
Speaker 4: And I don't like that.
Speaker 3: I'm like that a lot of times, but I'm and also I feel like I can fix it in my head myself, sure, totally and just like I'm gonna go fix it. I'm not even gonna tell the process, but I'm gonna come back and it's gonna be fixed. Yeah, yep, and that gets me in trouble. But you're right, it's a relationship. And you guys marriage also, your marriages to your wives, like one on one's tough.
Speaker 5: Regardless of the situation.
Speaker 12: The Bobby Cast will be right back. Wow, and we're back on the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 4: I always enjoy talking to this guy.
Speaker 3: Great artist, great songwriter, cool husband, cole dad At number three it's Thomas Rhett from episode four to eleven. Now it was basically an hour long therapy session, not just for him but for both of us. We talked about how he's approaching music, and it shocked me that he hadn't been on social media in months, something I couldn't do. I mean, I've been on social media since I started doing this.
Speaker 4: Here's Thomas.
Speaker 3: I mean reading this paragraph of aready been on social media? Here's Thomas Rhett at number three. Has your thoughts and philosophy on how much music and how often to release music changed over the last three years?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, but I feel like I'm not following the trend in the way that I should.
Speaker 3: What's the trend and how do you follow it differently than the trend?
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 1: I've put a record out every other year since I was twenty one years old, you know, and I think, like the last couple of records, as proud of them as I am, I feel like there have been moments where it's been like, we just need to keep writing because we've got to keep keeping up. And then you put a record out and there might have been like a song that did a thing, but the rest of the record like wasn't really ready, you know what I'm saying. And so I've been working on a new record for the last six months and I don't have a date yet, you know what I'm saying. And I think for a lot of people on the team, it's kind of nerve wracking because I've always just had something in the can to be able to come with if we to. But dude, I'm just like, for the first time in my life, I'm just watching so much music come out all the time, and it's so like I can barely get to through the whole new music Friday country, much.
Speaker 5: Less night music Friday.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, maybe get Friday Country, you know what I mean. Like, I get maybe through the first ten of them, and then I'm like, man, I don't even I don't even know what's good, you know what I mean, until the world kind of tells me what is good. I'm not even sure that I know what good is anymore. And so I've had to take a big step back from even the music I've been writing, like I haven't listened to and this is rare for me, but like when I'm about to start making records, Man, I'm listening to my demos daily, like in the car, in the gym on the lake with my kids, and I haven't listened to a song of mine in two months because I have to just get so far away from it that when I come back to it for the first real time, I want to be blown away by it rather than like, gosh, I think this is the next record, but I'm sort of like already sick of it and it's coming out in three months, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I would assume that that's already the case with most people, but yet, like how you're talking about in the way that you've done it, I could see where that would be amplified if you're not putting it out like you'd probably like to do. Like you said, every week, it's something else. It's something else that you could quickly be tired of that season that you're in right then and beyondo something else. But you've already started this project and you're still, well, you created all this in that season.
Speaker 5: You can't just let it go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it would have been easy just to put it out then, for sure, So I can see where that does a creative dilemma.
Speaker 1: But I think I'm still I'm still a little bit of the old school mindset of like, if you have a good body of work, at least give it a real chance and give it a real plan, you know what I'm saying. Like I feel like I'm not one of those artists that can just like chunk songs out and hope that they become famous on TikTok. Like I just don't know that I'm one of those artists that can happen to. Maybe I could have like a viral song, but like that's not how I want to release music, is it?
Speaker 3: Because you don't know if you're because I don't agree with what you're saying.
Speaker 5: About you. I think you don't think you should do it.
Speaker 3: But I think you're as good as anybody else putting music on TikTok. But are you Because the nature of that is you're gonna put a bunch of it that doesn't work for sure. And so is that part of it too, where you don't want to put a bunch of stuff that you know, just a numbers game. If you put out five things, three and a half or four of them is not gonna work for sure.
Speaker 1: It's weird.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I don't have an answer.
Speaker 12: Hank Ty, the Bobby Cast will be right back and we're back on the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 3: TikTok's cool to me again for music, because it's really what I use it for now. I've used TikTok for a lot of different things through again. I'll use the word seasons where it's like funny stuff and then it's like a lot of golf videos. And but now I watch and find a lot of great music that I listen to personally. For example, so there's one girl woman, her name is Jackie Vincent. She's from Austin, and then she's a blues player and she's so good and it's rare. I'm so jaded. You're jaded too, in the way I would just get to be around great people. It's a beautiful jadedness. We see so much greatness all the time. You really got to be different to stand down.
Speaker 1: Stand out.
Speaker 3: And I like saw it and I was like, oh my god, like, rarely do I hear or see anything where you're just like it just feels different for sure, And so I started following her. And the cool thing about Algorithm, Well, the bad thing is they know everything you're doing, and they monitor you and big brothers watching in China's gods all that stuff that doesn't matter. But the good thing is they like, know what kind of music you like? Yeah, last night, I'm on And there used to be a group called Carmen and it was two people, Mike Dear and mccarrmen.
Speaker 4: It was the guy and the girl.
Speaker 3: Okay, so he was They were a singer and rapper and it was like the two thousands. And I saw this girl and her name was like Queen something and she's speed wrapping like bust rhymes, and I'm like, I think that's the woman from Karmen. So I went into it and it was her, but without TikTok and me just flipping through and find For sure, I just don't know if I wouldn't be completely bored with music again at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because being.
Speaker 5: So jaded by it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: If you were to get on your TikTok, what what do you see on yours? Because of what you're looking at?
Speaker 1: Can I be very honest with you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd rather not lie unless it's a really good lie.
Speaker 1: I haven't been on social media since January.
Speaker 5: Oh that's great.
Speaker 3: That's even weirder and better than what you would have said. Yeah, why because I'd rather go down that road.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was getting to a point where, I mean, it sounds super cliche to say it, but it was just taking up so much of my time, you know what I mean? And I was finding so much of my worth in a post. And like, especially since all the algorithm stuff changed, you started to get you started to be like man, Like I used to post videos and they'd get like a million views, no doubt, And then you start to see this thing of like, Okay, my views are starting to go down. Does that mean that I am starting to suck more? You know what I'm saying like, that's what that's what my brain would tell me, that's what I think. That's I think it's probably everybody creative.
Speaker 5: I think that is absolutely fair.
Speaker 1: And so you know, then you would like put songs out and then some people would think they were really cool, and then some people would just hate on them. And then you start to see all the people in our genre that the bloggers just be like, this is terror, this is trash, Thomas Repp music, this is not what he's best at, all, these kind of things, and so then you start making music out of fear. You start my produce. One of my producers named Julian said, you can't work out of hit desperation, you have to work out of hit inspiration. And I think for a while there, dude, I was working out of hit desperation because I was so terrified of what this genre would think about what I thought was cool that it got to a point where I just wanted to write what I think they think would be cool.
Speaker 5: It's a lot of predicting going on.
Speaker 1: A lot of predicting of being like, well, maybe if I write songs that sort of feel like a loop comes thing, then these people will kind of think I'm like, okay again, you know what I'm saying, And maybe if I can do some of this stuff that like Morgan is doing, then maybe this group will think that I maybe I can fit into that group. But I didn't like get here by ever fitting into a group.
Speaker 5: You actually did the opposite.
Speaker 1: I did the complete opposite, and so I started to really not be myself anymore, just kind of lamed right with honestly just vanilla straight down the middle stuff.
Speaker 3: Okay, what was the bottom for you that made you go, I got to get off. I have to because something had to happen for you to go. I got to make a change in my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, it was.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 1: It was around Christmas time last year. And like, I kind of go into weird places when I'm off the road because it feels like a therapy. Are all your podcasts like therapy sessions?
Speaker 5: Like hey buddy, I am who am?
Speaker 1: Okay, I go to a lot of therapy myself, maybe saying, but when I'm off the road is is a really challenging time for me because when you're on the road, you're getting three straight nights of like dopamine celebrations. Yes, love how are you yes, yes, And then you come home and I love my children and I love my wife. It is the complete opposite. It's like retractable dopamine, if that makes any sense.
Speaker 3: I mean, I will leave a stage being told I'm the funniest person in the whole world by a couple thousand people, are ah, and then my wife's like, you did not take out the trash, and she loved me more than they ever will for sure. But you're right, the dope it is not and you you just feel it's a different kind of loneliness.
Speaker 8: No doubt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you know, I was off the road. I've been off the road for like two or three months and just constantly in my freaking phone, you know what I mean. Like my kids are like literally asking me questions upon question and I'm literally just I can't. I'm not even hearing them because I'm just here. And so yeah, it was like January first, it was like one of my like New Year's you know, resolution type things that I thought would last for like two weeks because I've never really fully quit social media. And then yeah, January, man, I haven't. I haven't even seen an app since January. So I hired a team. I mean everything that we post is from me. It's just that I am not physically on scrolling looking at the comments doing the stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, I got a message from you to day. I sent you a much Apple gift cards because you said I needed to send you that. Oh my gosh, you were like any Apple gift cards and bitcoin.
Speaker 5: So I sent you good Yeah, yeah, so you should have that. Yeah that wasn't you. That was the son of a gun. I got scammed again.
Speaker 3: Good self awareness.
Speaker 5: I think we all know. I have a friend. You know him too.
Speaker 3: He's one of my best friends. I won't say his name here, but he locks his apps up.
Speaker 5: He has a.
Speaker 3: It's not Dirk's, but Dirk's also does this. But he goes to a flip phone at different times during the month when he's starting to feel a little anxious, and then when he's not and he's on his smartphone, there is an app.
Speaker 5: Oh, I don't care, Hey, get on it. It's Twitter. Twitter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a Twitter notification.
Speaker 4: Don't forget to me.
Speaker 3: He has an app that locks all of his social media up at like five pm, and you can't get off. You can't get on it. Nless you have the code.
Speaker 1: The only person has this code as manager gotcha, and so he is. I would like delete it off my phone every day and then just re download it.
Speaker 3: I would do that and then just then get on the internet on my computer and then do like the browser version.
Speaker 5: I'd be like, well, I'm kind of you.
Speaker 3: You know, I have a weird relationship with social media, but I think that self awareness is like, that's extremely valuable that you found that.
Speaker 5: Do you think you'll ever go back?
Speaker 1: Probably at some point in time. And I've quit a couple of things this year that I mean, I quit nicotine this year, which I have. I love nicotine so much.
Speaker 5: Never had it. What's good about it? Get me started? Like sell me on it?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean I started dipping when I was like, you know, eighteen years old, Grisley Winter Green. And then when I turned like twenty eight, I started using this stuff called zen is that in the pack? So yeah, it's like it's like just nicotine and mint, and like it kind of just became I'm trying to quit things that are crutches for me, you know what I'm saying. Like social media was a crutch. It was the place where I went where I needed validation, but then it was the place that I hated when it didn't validate me, you know what I'm saying, polar and so nicotine was kind of like that crutch for me. It was just like when I felt nervous nicotine, when I felt weird nicotine, when I felt happy nicotine. It was like always just a thing. And so, I mean, I haven't been off of it that long, but it's been been three weeks, which is the longest ever gone.
Speaker 4: So I think I'm gonna start after that in the year of quitting nervous.
Speaker 1: That's a long time.
Speaker 2: Hang tight.
Speaker 12: The Bobby Cast will be right back. Welcome back to the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 3: At number two, it's one of country music's most powerful female voices, Martina McBride.
Speaker 4: I had to spend a lot of time with Martinez, so it's super cool she came by.
Speaker 3: She stopped by to talk about her career, which is over thirty years long, being inducted into the Grand Ole Opry back in the nineties, and you know the genius way she landed a record deal. Big fan, Who's not. From episode three eighty eight. Here's Martina McBride at number two. Nineteen ninety three, you get inducted into the Grand O Opry. You mentioned Loretta al in earlier. She's the one who does it. What do you remember about that night?
Speaker 10: It was part of a television special. It's like an anniversary of the Opry, and Loretta's so funny.
Speaker 13: She came, she came to do.
Speaker 10: The rehearsal and they gave you. They gave me a plaque and she said, well, during rehearsal, she said, is this.
Speaker 13: What I'm supposed to give you? This is what you get for joining the Opry?
Speaker 10: And I said, yeah, I guess so, and so she said she kind of laughed, and during the ceremony she said, welcome to the Opry, honey, this is what you get.
Speaker 3: That's super cool that it was her and she's the one, like just first of all, anything with her, Yeah, but she's the one inducting you into the greatest country music space right.
Speaker 4: In the history of the world, the Grand Ole Opry. Like what a special memory.
Speaker 3: Did you know that she was going to be inducting you before like rehearsals with it, because sometimes you know, they the invite is a surprise.
Speaker 4: Was that a surprise to you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 13: But they didn't do it like they did.
Speaker 4: They didn't just show up in surprise you at the performance.
Speaker 10: I went to lunch with the head of the opry and he asked me at lunch and then and then I got to I got to invite, I got to ask who I wanted to induct.
Speaker 3: Me, so I show so you chose the right now, okay, man being told at lunch by someone who an executives like being proposed on the phone.
Speaker 4: It's like, I mean, you're still getting married and that's awesome, but you didn't even get on a knee.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I don't think they did it like that back then.
Speaker 10: Now I love how they do it now where they I got to be that person for Charlie Daniels.
Speaker 13: I got to ask him to join.
Speaker 4: The opry and he didn't know you were there. You guess kept it completely secret.
Speaker 13: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: That's that's the greatest. Those videos where people are surprised. Just through that, I would say the history, because you're right, they didn't do it like that twenty five years ago. I think like twenty years Yeah, they started doing it.
Speaker 7: A little bit.
Speaker 3: But those videos where people get surprised and oh my god, they're awesome. Only second to whenever somebody from the military comes home in sur prizes are kids.
Speaker 4: I love those video and those are good too.
Speaker 3: What I don't like when they show the videos of the dogs with one eye and said on McLoughlin sings those videos, that don't like it.
Speaker 4: I like what they're doing. I just don't like those videos. Yeah, Like you know what comes to me.
Speaker 3: You sign a record deal ninety one, how fast until you actually take off and have a hit from the moment you signed, until you're on the radio and you got a number one song.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it was a second record. I didn't have a number one song to the third record. Wild Angels was my first number one. Actually just happened the other day. I think it was in nineteen ninety six. So it took six five or six years to really get to that place. But I but before Wild Angels, I had Independence Day and I had my.
Speaker 3: First three Independence Day. Wasn't a number one song, No, it was number ten. Maybe again, I'm just the consumer here. The song that I would know you for the most Yeah, it wasn't even a number one song, right, that's.
Speaker 13: A whole story.
Speaker 10: Like you know, we had a lot of resistance at radio with that song because the subject matter, and I think it was really because she burned the house down, you know, it was like she was taking she took action that just didn't set very.
Speaker 13: Well with a lot of radio people.
Speaker 7: Bizarre.
Speaker 10: And so it's funny because I was so passionate about that song, like it literally changed my life, not career only career wise, but just my awareness and my you know, wanting to try to help some way, and all the letters that I got and the people that I talked.
Speaker 13: To and heard their stories and it was so big for me.
Speaker 10: And so my probone guy once again, Mike Wilson, came to me and he said, I think we're losing the song.
Speaker 13: I don't think that it's gonna make it. And I was like, what, how is this possible?
Speaker 10: And he goes, well, there's there's a you know, maybe twenty stations that won't won't refuse to play it. And I said, can I talk to them? Can you give me their numbers? And I want to have a conversation and.
Speaker 13: He was like, uh, sure, I guess, like that's not usually done, but I guess so.
Speaker 10: And so I got on the phone with these guys and I was just like, talk to me, like, tell me what is it and some of them would say, we just don't think it's appropriate that it's on our station, and I said, and oddly enough, this is right. Independence date came out maybe seven weeks before Nicole brown Sinson was murdered, so all of a sudden it was on. That story was everywhere, and so I said, you know, it's interesting because you're talking about domestic violence every day, several times a day on your newscast, right yet you don't feel like this song can can be listened to or whatever. And I turned a couple few of them around. There were ten stations that never did play it, but I was able to they would give it a chance.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 10: One guy said to me that video like, if I'm sitting with my daughter and that video comes on, then I have to talk to her and explain things. And I'm like, yeah, dude, that's maybe not a bad idea.
Speaker 13: So it was interesting. It's just a different time, you know.
Speaker 3: Is it odd when people just think that song is about fourth of July. Yeah, like on fourth of July you hear the song and it's not the same thing. I got talking about literal Independence Day of America. Yeah, because sometimes it'll be like it's your July for the playlist, oh all the every year, Yeah yeah, and Independence say comes on.
Speaker 10: I think I think that's what you were talking about earlier, how sometimes you can just sing a song for years and not really ever. You kind of just sing the chorus and you're distracted during the verses or whatever, because I think a lot of people don't know what that song is about still, but then so many people do, and that's you know, that's the song that I've heard and thought to myself, somebody needs to hear this song.
Speaker 13: This is going to be the song for somebody.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 10: And you know then I get letters people saying that's what I got in the car and I heard that song on the radio, and that's I decided I'm out of here.
Speaker 13: I've had enough, right, So it's like, that's the power. That's not me. That's the power of music and the power of a song.
Speaker 12: Let's take a quick pause for a message from our sponsor, Wow, and we're back on the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 3: Three questions for you when you finally win for Female Vocalist Because you grew up a couple of times in like the late nineties, but in like maybe two thousand and three or so, I think you won the first time three in a row. By the way, it was like bam bam bam.
Speaker 13: Yeah it was nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 4: Is that you won a ninety nine?
Speaker 3: Okay, so the first time you win and you'd always been able to envision yourself winning, did you have that moment while it was happening where you're like, I've always like it while it was happening, Like I always could see this and now it's actually happening.
Speaker 10: Yeah, kind of yeah, it was like not an out of body experience, but like it's so okay, I want to say this and not have it come off as in a conceited way because I'm not, but and it's not where it's coming from.
Speaker 13: But like, like it goes back to what I was saying before. You kind of have to believe it.
Speaker 10: You kind of have to believe it otherwise all of the rejection and the and the being away from home, the traveling and the recording and all the stuff that you do is you know, you have to believe it.
Speaker 13: It's going to pay off in.
Speaker 10: That moment as as in that moment, so you know, there was a I don't know, maybe it might have been even four or five years we were nominated and didn't win, and and you just go, what's going to happen.
Speaker 13: It's going to happen.
Speaker 3: So you still believed it was going to happen. Oh yeah, yeah, when you got that close.
Speaker 10: And didn't, Yeah, because it was too maybe premature, Like I feel like we One thing I'm really that was a good feeling for me was when we finally won. I felt like we'd been around long enough to kind of deserve it in a way. And my team, you know, everybody that worked so hard, they it was rewarding. It was just kind of like, I'm so glad it didn't happen too fast. I'm so glad I feel like I'm kind of in this industry and that people really wanted me to win.
Speaker 13: Maybe so, but yeah, there's that moment where you go, well, this is it.
Speaker 3: You know, the first times that you didn't win, are you like listening for and it is a deflat or is it? Do you really feel anytime I ever lose, I'm not honored to be there? Right, I'm like this sucked?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Or are you honored just to be there and You're like, I'll get him next time, Like what Like, yeah.
Speaker 13: I was kind of like that.
Speaker 10: I was really because I would look at the category and the other females in the category, and I was just like wow, Wow, like it's so amazing that I'm even in the same.
Speaker 13: Like these people even know.
Speaker 10: I remember when I walked past Alan Jackson one time at an award show, probably the first TMA Awards I went to, and he's in the front row and I walked by him and kind of, you know, I was I'm not I'm kind of an introvert, really honestly extroverted, introvert. Same so I'm not the kind of I'm always the kind of person that doesn't want to go up to somebody and introduce myself. I don't want to bother them, you know what I mean. But I walked past him and I just kind of looked at him and thought to myself, Oh my god, that's Alan Jackson. And he said I love your stuff, and I was like, oh my god, Alan Jackson knows who I am and has heard my music.
Speaker 13: What in the world, you know, So it's.
Speaker 4: It was like that I don't think he came off you can see it at all.
Speaker 3: And I'm a big believer in what I would call a healthy arrogance, because if I don't have it, if I'm believe in me so much, nobody else is going to yeah, like I have to because at times other people are gonna go yeah or nope, or I don't know, prove it. But if I don't believe in me and I don't believe what I'm putting out is worth people buying a ticket if I'm doing a comedy show or spending twenty minutes with me in the morning or reading a book. If I don't believe it and I don't believe it's great, nobody else will Yeah.
Speaker 13: That's true.
Speaker 4: So I have to be that, and I have no problem. It's just for me.
Speaker 3: At times, I think I get so insecure that that healthy arrogance tends to come off the other way because I'm so insecure that it's like, well, I got approved to everybody that I don't take any crap, and let's let's go.
Speaker 4: That's my problem.
Speaker 3: When things started to really pop for me, I had to There were a couple of times where I had to be like, whoa, we got to check yourself.
Speaker 4: Luckily, I have that awareness.
Speaker 13: I was going to say, you're aware of it.
Speaker 4: Luckily, yeah did. When did you ever have to have that talk with you?
Speaker 3: It's a weird question to ask where you're like, it's hidden now, like, let's make sure we make these some wise decisions, not because.
Speaker 10: Of an arrogance thing or insecurity really, but you know, I just it took me a really long time to realize that I had some power.
Speaker 13: Like, you know, nobody tells you that when you start out. They're like, there's all.
Speaker 10: Kinds of people that want you to do what they think you should do. And I mean everybody from video directors to art directors to producers to everybody executives. And it took I think it was my husband actually that said, you know you, they're kind of working for you in a way, and I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so then you kind of you can kind of assert your power over your creativity and your own persona and how you're to see you over yourself, and that that can get pretty heady.
Speaker 10: So sometimes I feel like, especially I don't you know, as a woman, I kind of had to check that a little bit just to not alienate everyone.
Speaker 12: Hank Ty the Bobby cast will be right back. Wow, and we're back on the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 4: And we've made it all the way to number one.
Speaker 3: As far as the number one Bobby Cast of twenty twenty three, this one isn't number one because one, it did really well, but it also just surprised me because I can tell you I didn't I had no relationship at all with Chase Rice.
Speaker 4: You know, he could beat me up.
Speaker 3: I thought he might all those factors, and so I was like, Oh, let's see where this goes. But it's from episode three eighty seven. Again, Super downloaded a lot of feedback because we really got into some hard topics that I think a lot of people can relate to. And I was very surprised with this generosity on talking about some of this stuff. He talked about losing his dad, dealing with grief and depression at the height of his career, and why he's purposely choosing to be lonely right now. This is a side of Chase Rice I'd never seen before. I really liked it. You guys really liked it. So here he is Chase Rice at number one. A credit to your dad, and I'm sure you feel this way and you love him, but it is You're right, It is so rare for someone to be consistent.
Speaker 4: And when you talk about it, I mean like he was there. Yeah, I mean that alone is pure love.
Speaker 8: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: It just feels like in relationships, no matter what it is with parent, brothers, sister, best friend, work like everybody's gonna do things and mess up and do great. It's just that the value of two humans working together. And but man, consistency, that's as much love as you could possibly get.
Speaker 4: Like I'm that's always just sound like the greatest dude.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he was there, That's that's the number one. But it wasn't like he was just there and absent. He was there and he gave you all the attention and then like through high school and stuff, it didn't miss anto of the games.
Speaker 4: Do you still miss him?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah all the time when because my mom died ten maybe thirteen or so years ago, my grandmother raised me, adopted me for a while too, And I have moments in waves where I'll like see something it doesn't it just reminds me and it's like it's like I get kicked in the like side, yeah, and you're like, oh man, I really miss what is.
Speaker 9: It for you?
Speaker 8: Sometimes? I was reading a book this morning and it was talking about dreams. It's this psychiatrist book. He was talking about the dreams this one one of her patients had. And that's the best way I can explain, Like when it does kicky on the side, you're just like, damn, it comes out of nowhere too, where all of a sudden your back You remember the phone call. I remember the phone call from my mom, Chase. She said my name was real shaky and shut the fridge like I remember details, shut the freezer and she said, oh god. My first thought when she said my name and it was shaky, was oh god, was she found out that I've done? Like that's a guilty continence right there. And then she said, Chase, come home. Dad died And I'm just like, whoa what? Like the only way I know how to explain it is the worst dream you ever had in your life, where it's it's that nightmare where you wake up and you're like, oh, what was it was that real? Okay, No, that wasn't real. Thank god, that wasn't real. Like that that would end your life if that was real, and life is you know it anyway, But it's that and it's real, and then it doesn't stop, and for the next few hours you're still processing what just happened. And I was driving home, like.
Speaker 4: Where you driving from Nashville.
Speaker 8: I lived in chapel I was in college, so I was driving from Chapehoo to Ashville. The first phone call I made was my ex girlfriend, who was like my high school girlfriend, so she knew him really well. Called her and told her. I don't remember how that conversation went. My brother, Casey and I talked three times on the drive home, and it was more just like what's going on because I didn't ask how he died. He had a heart attack, but I didn't know that in my mind he fell off the roof or something working on the house. So that whole drive was just like it takes sometimes like this morning, it didn't happen. But sometimes it'll hit you, like you'll be back in that place where your mom calls you and it hits you like a ton of bricks and your life just stops and you're back in that moment, even if it's first split second, but you're just back there and it's it's a shit feeling. But I have done a lot of work talking to people, therapy stuff Like I went to rehab twice and the first time I went, I was like, I didn't talk about anything that I thought I was gonna go back into all this stuff, which is awesome. You Now, looking back, I'm like, Okay, that's so necessary. But I dealt with the loss of him a lot. But it's still never It's never gonna go away.
Speaker 3: And you're right first, You're right, it's not gone away at all for me, especially the waves, Like it's not as constant, but the waves are equally as powerful, right when they do come in.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But also I look at it as a blessing too that I get to be sad, which is a twisted ishu way.
Speaker 4: But my grandmother was so valuable. Yeah, I had no consistency at all.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My dad left when I was five or sick. My mom was an addict orr whole life, died in the forties. My grandma adopted me and was there. And the fact that I'm so sad I missed her so much, Like I feel very lucky that I get to be.
Speaker 4: Sad, Yeah, because she was that awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah that I'm lucky that I'm sad because I could not be sad, and I would have had no consistency and no love.
Speaker 8: That's crazy, awesome way to look at it.
Speaker 3: It's I think it's survival for me. Honestly, I do believe it. But it's weird even to say out loud, where it's like I feel blessed to be sad because that was the one person for me that was she was seventy, but she was right there.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So you know, when I hear the stories about you, dad, I'm jealous. Yeah, but I'm also super grateful that you had that.
Speaker 8: This crossed my mind for sure, like would you rather have? And I told people all the time back then. I'll still say it like I got more out of twenty two years than most people get from their dad in a lifetime. And I've wondered, like what's harder what happened with me or never knowing him at all? And I'll take what happened with me all day.
Speaker 4: Ten times out of ten. Absolutely.
Speaker 12: Yeah, hang tight. The Bobby Cast will be right back. Welcome back to the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 4: The back of your record is your dog?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Also very meaningful to you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's awesome. So I haven't seen her like a week, this morning a morning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So tell me about him.
Speaker 8: So he's he's a black lab named Jack. I want. I always wanted a dog, but I wanted him for for like I always wanted to go bird hunting with a dog, with my own dog. So that's what I've got him for. And he goes to training back and forth. He's not a pointer, he's a retriever.
Speaker 4: Thought it like, you take him duck hunting. Yeah, he goes to gets to.
Speaker 8: Bring the back scorn and we were on a walk and I was throwing the thing. He was hell to go till he drops. But I got him because of the song bench Seat, which is on my record, which is a song about my budd almost shoot himself.
Speaker 4: You wrote that one by yourself from my mind?
Speaker 7: Is that right?
Speaker 8: Yeah? I got it and I wrote it in my breakfast room and it was a third song that I wrote by myself on the record. But I'm writing this song and in my mind, I've got a video going through, Like I don't know why the whole video is in my head while I'm right. It actually helped me write the song. And uh, it's about my buddy who put a gun to his head and didn't pull the trigger twice. I thought he was a coward for not being able to do it. It's like, damn that that's when you're in a bad place, when you can't even see it, like you did the right thing, man, and he didn't. As his dog came up put his.
Speaker 4: Head on his lap, he felt love right then.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Well, he knew he'd have to leave the dog, like who's gonna take care of Yeah, he might even put blood on the dog, like he would have made a mess.
Speaker 4: And that's left from him to the dog. Worrying about the dog.
Speaker 8: Yeah, wow, And he knew this dog is pretty awesome talking about my buddy's dog. But he knew what the dog was thinking, like, don't do this. And I think the dog knew there was a problem. Obviously, maybe not cognitive thought like we have, but he knew there was something wrong, and so he came into my house and got help. You know, just third second or third night, I go up and flipped the light on him, like, which is funny because going back to my dad, my dad caught me on the phone talking to a girl saying a bunch of shit you just don't say to girls. And then at the end of the conversation, I said, I love you like I didn't. I was clueless, you're middle school. You don't know middle school. And he came up. This is crazy, I don't have ever pieces together. But he came up, flipped the light on, and sat down, and I knew I was busted. It's like, oh oh, he was on the phone the whole time. Fast forward to my buddy. It was like I had this thing where like I knew he was in trouble. Different situation. I'm not his dad, you know, I don't. It's a different situation. But I went up and it flipped the light on and leaned against the wall and just said, what's up, dude? And he uh, he said, oh, I'm good. I'm good. I'm just he's like sitting up out of bed. He's trying to go to sleep. Dog was on the floor And I said, no, what's up? Why are you here? So you never come? You never come to visit me like this. You don't even like I just showed Atlanta, you' even come to the show. What are you doing here? And what's because he was a dark he was dark, and uh, he just loses it, face gets red, starts bawling his eyes out, puts his hand like this, and explains how he almost shot himself. I guess two or three nights before and that point, I'm just I'm just listening, and uh, he got the work from a lady here that I was seeing, who was awesome. She like made it a point, Okay, I need to see him every day. Started the work. Then then that's been years ago. That was probably twenty eighteen nineteen. And then fast forward to twenty twenty sometime and he's at my house. He's doing much better. I'm like, okay, I got my friend back. He's back, and now he's doing even better. I saw him over Christmas. He's awesome. Man, he just got gazed. So he's joking around the fire and he's like, man, bro, you should write a song about a god driving around his truck with his dog. And I just laugh. I'm like, let's cliche, Like the most cliche song you can almost write. Three days later, a text her call him and I was like, dude, I wrote it. It's not gonna be what you're gonna expect. Fast forward to the me writing ben C having the the video movie idea in my head. That was the moment I was like, Okay, if I'm gonna have a dog in this video, it's gonna be my dog. Originally he was gonna be the puppy. Took his two years a piece together the video and make it right. So Jackson middle dog in the video. But that's that's what sent me over the edge of like, all right, I'm getting a dog finally.
Speaker 4: And you put him on the back of the record to show what.
Speaker 8: Well cowboys and dogs for whatever reason with the theme of this record, probably because I was addressing, you know, my dad, who's on the cover, and then jack was on the back. Jack I think I mentioned dog like four or five times in this record. I'll get off it on the next one. But that's where I'm in life. This dog, he came into my life. I don't I wouldn't say saved my life or anything, but he's made my life a lot better and he's made me more capable of loving someone and being loved.
Speaker 3: Absolutely did it for me. My dog did the same thing. Yeah, people think I'm crazy when I say that. Yeah, I think when I said amen, I was, I was just a vistial reacts to me going eight. I felt that, Yeah, why do you think that about you?
Speaker 8: I don't. I don't like the I don't like the idea of someone loving me, and I don't know why I think. I think it stems for my dad passing away to where I haven't had that in fifteen years now, So I'm like, ah, I'm good. Plus you put on this front like you're all tough, Plus you have fame start coming into the picture, so you don't really know who to trust. And I just don't like the idea. It makes me uncomfortable. So it's funny when I'm that tough guy or putting on the act and then all of a sudden rolling around on the floor with Jack and he has a thing about it. There's no judgment, there's no there's no falseness to it. It's just you and your dollar rolling around on the floor and me like talking in a higher pitched voice that I'm used to that i'll ever talk to anybody. So I think, first it's allowed me to let myself be loved by something or someone, and then that can flip hopefully that you know, allows me to flip it into loving somebody at some point. And I'm not saying I don't love it. Like I love my mom, I love my brother.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, but like a romantic trust, non blood love that you don't that you.
Speaker 5: Have to work at.
Speaker 3: You have to worry because your brother's gonna be brother regardless, he's always I'll be your brother.
Speaker 8: Yeah you hold are you thirty seven? Okay?
Speaker 3: So I didn't I am get married will I was thirty nine and never been engaged, was never in a serious relationship, and in my valves what I said, I like, the hardest.
Speaker 4: Thing I have to do is learn to be loved.
Speaker 8: Be loved. Yeah wow.
Speaker 3: And my dog Dusty, who had for thirteen years, like I would practice because I did.
Speaker 5: I love that dog.
Speaker 4: I never told anybody I loved him my whole life. I didn't say it. I just didn't.
Speaker 8: I didn't know.
Speaker 7: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't know how to.
Speaker 3: But that dog I would tell him all the time, Like I mean, it makes me emotional think about it. I was just like I would say, man, I love you, I love And it's the only that I wouldn't even I couldn't even say love.
Speaker 4: In recreating a situation that I didn't say it we were talking about and.
Speaker 3: They'd be on the show, be like what if you you met, how would you say it? I'd be like, oh, I can't I live with that dog like almost like trained me to when it finally happened. Yeah, and it wasn't easy. Wow, But when it finally happened with my wife now, it was like, this feels different. I can't piss this away. I know I'm capable because I love that animal before he died. So when you said that, I was like, dang, Like I felt that more than anything. Yeah, because that was a big part of my life. It's a thirteen year old dog who adopted from a puppy meal and that changed it, and that that changed it all. Are you like, I mean, I'm assuming you want a family?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do for sure.
Speaker 8: I'm in a place right now where I'm extremely lonely a lot, but I'm okay with it. It's not like I'm in this depressed state. I just I'm living in it, man. And I also understand that a dog isn't enough, Like I don't want to be the guy that's fifty years old just with him and his dog. But I've earned it, like I've earned the lonely. But I'm doing it on purpose for now, because I just feel like that's what I need to do for myself. And also I think it's going to take something that extreme to get me out of this place of or get me into the place of wanting to really be with somebody, one person. Because I'll tell you one thing I was thinking about. I think about this all the time, but like going down the road of a lot of women, no matter how tough you can sound in front of your buddies and the ones that say don't ever get married and all this, it leads you to extreme depression. And I don't know all the details of why, but it leads you to a very very dark place, and it leads you to a lot of sex with a zero intimacy. And then the more you do it, the more it leads you to just wanting to be alone. And it's a dark place to be.
Speaker 3: And there you have at the top ten Bobby Cast of twenty twenty three. Next week we're back with another Like for Real episode. But if there's anyone you'd like us to have on an upcoming Bobbycast, send us a DM on Instagram at the Bobbycast.
Speaker 4: We're also on.
Speaker 3: TikTok at the Bobbycast. We upload full episodes to YouTube. Check us out there as well.
Speaker 4: Have a happy new Year. We'll see you in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: By everybody, thanks for listening to a Bobby Cast production.