Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look at the top stories in the coming week from our Daybreak anchors all around the world, and straight ahead on the program the upcoming May Jobs report in the US how that could impact FED policy moving forward. I'm Tom Busby in New York.
Speaker 3: I'm Caroline Hedge in London, where we're asking if the ECB can help Europe sees its golden opportunity.
Speaker 4: I'm Dot Christner looking ahead to trade data this week from Vietnam.
Speaker 1: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend on Bloomberg eleven three Yeero, New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one, Washington, DC, Bloomberg ninety two to nine, Boston, DAB Digital Radio, London, Sirius XM one twenty one, and around the world on Bloomberg Radio, dot Com and the Bloomberg Business App.
Speaker 5: Good day to you.
Speaker 2: I'm Tom Busby, and we begin today's program with a look ahead to the May Jobs Report. Non farm payroll numbers for May out on Friday eight thirty am. Wall Street Time Now for more on how those numbers may impact the FED policy moving forward. And the state of the US labor market and the economy. We're joined by Stuart paul, Us, economist with Bloomberg Economics. Stuart, thank you for being here again. Now, when you look at the impact of the Trump tariffs, the DOGE cuts, lower corporate profits, a shrinking US economy, are we starting to see cracks in the labor market? It was robust for years.
Speaker 6: I think we're just starting to see material cracks, and we're starting to see the cracks that have been just minuscule starting to widen. I think that the first labor market data print that we're going to get next week or in the coming week is going to be the number of job openings available in April, and I think the number of job openings declined all being modestly, just by about sixty thousand, but that's going to be enough for the number of workers available, the number of unemployed workers to exceed the number of job openings for the first time since the pandemic. So that's the first sign I think that will really matter for the FED that there is material slack in the labor market. And then as we get to the jobs report on Friday, I think we're going to see a materially slower pace of hiring. We're estimating just ninety thousand jobs we're added in May. That's a pretty dramatic slowdown from one hundred and seventy seven thousand jobs added in April. And it's such a slow pace that it does not keep up with labor force or population growth. So we're expecting to see an uptick in the unemployment rate. It's still going to be low at four point three percent, but moving in the wrong direction for the FED.
Speaker 2: That is a big change. Under one hundred thousand ads is a lot fewer than we saw even a week ago. Economist who were predicting what has changed in that time.
Speaker 6: The thing that we're seeing in the data when we look at high frequency data is that there were relatively few people added in the leisure and hospitality industry. And going back to your initial point, some of this is downstream from policy that's coming out of the West Wing. One of the reasons we think that there were fewer people added in leisure and hospitality, food service, and accommodation, for example, is because there's less travel from abroad, and part of that is retaliation from some of our trading partners and potential travelers who are canceling their trips in the spring and early summer travel season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and not just Canadians, European South Americans. We're seeing it from all over, big, big decrease in travel.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 2: So now the latest data that we saw also on jobless claims, are you seeing a pattern there? It held pretty steady for most of the president's second term, but I think now we're starting to see things creep up for it also, long term unemployed. That's a big that's exactly right.
Speaker 6: For a long time, it was one of the easiest data prints to forecast initial jobless claims. Two hundred and twenty thousand a month, no big deal. You wouldn't even have to look, we wouldn't have to think very hard about what to expect. But we did see a pretty swift jump to two hundred and forty thousand in the previous week. I think the thing that's more important, however, is the steady rise in continuing claims as workers who are looking for new employment find it more difficult to get job offers. And I think that a part of that is that businesses remain pretty tentative about increasing headcount in a period of economic policy uncertainty.
Speaker 2: And one of the data points we got last week was corporate profits in this first quarter, and if they're not making as much money, they're simply just not going to hire more people, are they.
Speaker 6: That's right, with less profits going to see slower expansion plans. Slower expansion plans mean less hiring, and to your point, that's going to result in widening cracks in the labor market.
Speaker 2: And we've seen a couple of big layoffs announced Microsoft sixty five hundred workers, three percent of its workforce, match dot com. I mean, these are very different kinds of companies thirteen percent of its staff Intel that's a big twenty percent. They're planning, not all at once. It's going to be gradual. A lot of this is attrition, but you added up that's a lot of people who won't be getting paychecks.
Speaker 6: That's right. I think that the name of the game, though, is whether this is going to be end mass layoffs or head count reduction through attrition. The latter is of course going to be less shocking, less significant. It's going to result in a less material disruption to growth. If we end up seeing swift layoffs, that could be enough for the FED to resume rate cuts right now. Given the outlook for inflation, we think that the FED is going to remain on hold until the fourth quarter, but we do expect the FED to resume cuts because of that labor market.
Speaker 2: The main jobs report out this Friday ahead of Wall Street's opening bell our. Thanks to Stuart paul Us, economist with Bloomberg Economics, we turned out to Apple, the three trillion dollar tech giant that's facing some unprecedented challenges, including being way behind rivals in AI, pressure from the White House about where it makes the iPhone, and seeing open Ai team up with its legendary former design guru on a family of devices with AI at their core. How is Apple responding? What does this mean for Tim cook Well? For more, we're joined by Mark German, Bloomberg News Managing editor for Global Consumer Tech.
Speaker 5: Mark.
Speaker 2: That was a blockbuster announcement that moved by chat gpt A maker open Ai acquiring the AI device maker co founded by Johnny Ive, the man who designed the iPhone, the iPad, the iPod and other devices. What does Johnny Ive mean him and his company and what does this mean for Apple.
Speaker 7: It's pretty remarkable, isn't it. This is open AI betting that chat, GPT and artificial intelligence and voice interaction are again the future of computing and that now is the time to productize it. An app is quite good, right, an online service, you know, that's meaningful, But having your own hardware, your own products that people could buy to leverage this technology is critical in order to take the next step. You know. I look at the current state of generative AI as pretty much similar to the touchscreen twenty years ago if you really think about it, The iPhone, the iPad, smartphones and tablets from other manufacturers, those are basically productizations of a touchscreen. Right now, what open ai is working on with Johnny Ive is the productization of generative AI. My belief is that they're eventually going to roll out a necklace, right, a necklace with microphones, speakers, cameras and other technology so you can go about your day and interact with chat, GPT and other AI features and so voice saying that's going to be the future voice activated always on AI companion that you wear around your neck or other parts of your body to interact with and use throughout your day. Now they see it as secondary to a phone, right, You're still going to use a phone to watch video, still going to use a phone to play games, maybe still use a phone to make well phone calls, but forgetting a lot of other stuff done, whether that's asking questions, whether that's sending messages, whether that's booking a movie or doing a restaurant reservation or looking up something. Throughout your day, You're gonna do that with that pendant around your neck. And I think they see that as the future and the phone eventually transitioning into that type of product.
Speaker 2: And now they have taught by day I mean Sam Altman of open Ai and Johnny Ive a reference to a family of devices, so not just a necklace. Could they put out their own phone as well.
Speaker 7: I think they're going to start with the necklace, and then at some point you're going to have a home companion device, so something that you would put on your desk to use alongside your iPad or your laptop or what have you, right, something more ambient than that's just around your neck, something that as you walk throughout your home you would have access to. And eventually maybe there will be a pocketable device, maybe there will be a product with a screen, but I think that's that's further off, and I doubt they've done any conceptualization on that to this point.
Speaker 2: So it's a game changer. It's not glasses, it's not a phone. This is a whole new category.
Speaker 7: It's a whole new category, a whole new type of product. And this is their bet. I mean, that's what Johnny I've is known for right new major product categories and having the right people, having the right design sensibilities for it. And so he's the perfect person. Well he's probably the only person who could successfully. You know, other people have tried it, but they haven't been successful. But if you're betting on someone who could do this successfully, it is I've.
Speaker 2: And are you what kind of timeline do you see for this device?
Speaker 7: What they're telling me is they're going to introduce the products some point next year. I wouldn't anticipate, given the economics of manufacturing, given the time it takes to produce these things, given the fit and finish that I've is known for, Given basically where we're at with chat Shept and the quality, probably one another year in the oven to make sure it's up to stuff for a hardware product that people are going to pay, you know, hard cash for I wouldn't anticipate a release before twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so we have we have some time until then. Let's talk about some of the other challenges facing Apple, like the twenty five percent tariff threats from President Trump on iPhones sold in the US but made overseas. I mean, if Trump is able to follow through, what does that mean for iPhone buyers and for Apple?
Speaker 7: Well, it's a big if that if this ends up happening, Right, we've already seen the news of global organizations deeming the tariffs illegal. We know that Trump, Tim Cook and other CEOs of smartphone manufacturers are going to have conversations. We know that Trump in the past has shown a willingness or even a strong willingness to make concessions for certain executives and for certain companies. So let's assume, right that this does happen, right, because I'm not sure it will, but let's assume this does happen. Twenty five percent a small price to pay for Apple when they were looking at north one hundred percent tariffs on the original setup related to the Chinese tariffs. But I don't think that threatening a twenty five percent tariff is going to accomplish much for Trump. His goal is to force them via the threat of a tariff, to move production to the US. First of all, the time it would take to move production to the US is a decade long, so it's not going to happen even in the course of the rest of Trump's three years in office, right, right, So that's one two tariff, that cost increase that's less than the cost increase or the operational resources necessary that would be incurred for a move to the US. So the twenty five percent doesn't accomplish what Trump wants. It's basically just a penalty on Apple for not being able to move to the US. And if he wants to do a penalty on Apple for not being able to move to the US, that's up to him. That's his probative.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 7: Apple probably won't love it. The consumers are gonna have to pay more, aren't going to love it. But he's going to do whatever he wants it. But it's simply not going to accomplish the goal he has in place.
Speaker 2: Our thanks to Mark German, Bloomberg News Managing editor for Global Consumer Tech. Coming up on Bloomberg day Break, weekend, we'll look at whether the ECB can help europe seas It's golden opportunity. I'm Tom Busby and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Tom Busby in New York. Up later in our program, we look ahead to trade data this week from Vietnam. But first, policymakers in Frankfurt choosing whether to cut, hike or maintain interest rates. As the European Central Bank undergoes its quarterly economic review this week, how will the Governing Council respond to the moving targets of inflation and macroeconomic circumstances. Well, for more, let's get to London and bring in Bloomberg Daybreak europe Banker Caroline Hepgar, Tom, it's.
Speaker 3: Not really shaping up to be a relaxing European summer for Christine Lagarde and her colleagues at the European Central Bank. If a widely expected eighth successive twenty five basis point rate cut is passed in the coming days, it will mean that the deposit rate will have been cut in half over the past year to two percent. That's as factions of the ECB's governing Council disagree on how low is too low when it comes to borrowing costs, and with growing pressure on EU US trade negotiations to consider and uncertainty about US tariffs, ECB officials have a lot to consider. If they play their cards rise, Europe could be well placed to take advantage of an opportunity presented by the current geopolitical context. That's according to Karen Ward, who is EMEA Chief market Strategist at JP Morgan Asset Management.
Speaker 8: The US has had the world's capital flowing to it for the last fifteen years in abundance. It's been a huge part of why they've been able to grow, while their companies have been able to grow, why governments have been spending a lot more in the US than we have here in Europe. So are there are big upsides to having that abundance of capital?
Speaker 9: I mean a lot will depend on the USU urref negotiations, which we'll talk about, say, but it is now the moment to be invested in European markets Or are there too many question marks?
Speaker 8: I've been saying since we came into the year, we had a situation where the US was believed to be exceptional and Donald Trump was going to further exacerbate that exceptionalism. Expectations on the US were too high, expectations on Europe were too low.
Speaker 3: That was JP Morgan Asset Management's Karen Ward speaking to Bloomberg's Farcy in Laqwab. So, how can Europe's central bankers prime the region to grasp hold of what could be a fleeting chance to access more of the world's capital And how important a role will interest rates play in the equation? It's something I've been discussing with Bloomberg Economics is senior Euro Area economist David Powell.
Speaker 5: Well, if we look at what most of the members of the Government Council have said recently, they all think that the impact of the US tariffs and the year area is going to be disinflation areas. It's going to lower inflation pressures as cheaper goods come in from China and weaker demand ways on the economy. So as a whole, they're pretty much all in favor of a cut. We don't have complete agreement on that. We never knew. We've already heard from the ECB's most hawkish member, the governor of the Central Bank of Austria that he's not in favor of a cut this month, but he's really an outlier. The majority of the people will go ahead and vote for that cut.
Speaker 3: And so we're also do to receive some Eurozone economic data in the next few days. How do you think that is going to affect decision making?
Speaker 5: Well, really, what the ECB is doing right now, it's kind of looking forward to what the impact of these tariffs will be. When we look at the latest economic data coming out of the year Area, in particular to the survey components that relate to exports, they're all holding up pretty well. And basically what I think most people think is happening is that American businesses and consumers are front running this ninety day pause, so they're wanting to bring all these exports into America before that ninety day pause ends in July and they potentially face higher tariffs. So things look good now the data is generally holding up, but the ECB is going to be more forward looking and be thinking about, well, what happens when this resilience comes to an end. That's going to be the focus of their discussion.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's even more uncertainty about the US tariffs than ever before now given the recent US court decision. But there remains that question for the Central Bank about whether it will end up having to step in at some point, let's say, if talks fall through, or if at some point the tariffs from the US actually do hit Europe even more severely, about whether the Central Bank will then have a bigger role. I'll have to step in even.
Speaker 5: If you put US teriff societe. The Central Bank is in an environment where it can reduce borrowing costs. When you look at the latest data on cost pressure, it's all coming down in the un area. In particular, the ECB's official time series and negotiated wages slowed very sharply in the first quarter. They also have an experimental wage tracker which shows wages remaining more subdued later in the year. So the inflation problem that the area was facing over the past couple of years is really no longer a problems. Even the terriff issue aside, that's not a huge problem right now. They can cut and then looking beyond that is the impact of the tariffs, and that could determine more easing later in the year, but in all likelihood they're going to want to see, given all the uncertainty, what actually happens, so they're probably not going to rush cut meeting after meeting. They probably do something more like moving at a quarterly pace to wait and see what actually comes out of the US given all that uncertainty that you mentioned.
Speaker 3: In terms of other things that may affect the euzone again as a kind of consequence of the tariffs China, and you know there's been a worry about perhaps more different disinflation being sported from China into the EU. Is that amongst the considerations at the.
Speaker 5: Moment definitely will be There are basically three big ways in which this terriff issue is going to impact your area inflation to the downside. That is, one, cheaper goods which are no longer going to America likely to come to the Euro Area wider EU from China. We have estimated that could take about zero point four percentage point off inflation each year. On top of that, oil prices are down and that's also another disinflationary force, and also just demand will be weaker so as exports in all likelihoods slow in the second half of the year, there won't be as much there won't be as much demand for labor or for products from the Euro Area from abroad.
Speaker 3: How close do you think we are then, and how close to economists think we are to the neutral rate in Europe?
Speaker 5: Well, we're pretty close to that. Most people say it's about two percent, and that's where we're going to be after this cut in June. However, we already know that the ECB is focusing much less on this concept of the neutral rate than they previously were. At the last press conference in April, the ECB removed from its statement this longstanding state incentence that have been focused on about how restrictive monetary policy is, and the Guard elaborated on that in the press conference, saying the neutral policy rate is a concept for a world without shocks, and it's certainly not the world we are living in.
Speaker 3: The thing is the ECB President Christina Guard sees an opportunity in those shocks, in the sense that an opportunity for the Euro maybe to become a stronger reserve currency versus the dollar. Is the scope maybe for policy makers also to be thinking about the Euro. Obviously it's not in their mandate, but do you think that they'll be thinking about this? What do you make of the ECB President Christina Guard's comments.
Speaker 5: The Euro has been around for new thirty years now, and almost that entire time, policymakers in Europe, whether they be heads of stage or people at the European Union or people at the European Central Bank, have been playing up that the Euro could be a secondary reserve currency, displacing some demand for the US dollar as a reserve currency. However, it's never really taken on that role because it has been plagued by number of problems throughout the years. Obviously, there was the Euro crisis, which scared a lot of international investors away, and some of those problems that arose at that time, the lack of a banking union, the lack of a fiscal union, they persist. And if there were some big problem again, as there inevitably will be, because we know from history that financial crisis pop up from time to time, I think questions still remain about how exactly the Euro would perform in that environment. Although the architecture of the monetary union was strengthened significantly after the last big crisis in twenty twelve, but.
Speaker 3: It goes the question also of the power the strength of Europe as an economic block, doesn't it, And about economic growth. You know, the strength of the euro would be based on the strength of Europe sort of economically, wouldn't it. That's always a relative game obviously, But how do you think growth is going now for Europe? We've got this kind of more disinflationary environment, a lot of money being rolled out in different countries for more spending on defense and infrastructure. How do you think the ECB is thinking about economic growth in the block?
Speaker 5: Well, when you take a step back and look at growth in the EU Area since the global financial christ relative to the US, the Urrea has lagged considerably, particularly in the last few years after the ECB began tightening the your area has hardly grown and the US economy has really kind of been then moving forward at full speed. So the Urrea has fallen behind considerably over the last decade. There's a lot of ground to make up, and that's going to come through higher levels of productivity. We had Mario Draghi release of report earlier this year on his recommendations for how the EU Area could achieve that none of those things are very easy to implement. I mean, increasing the rate of growth is a difficult game and there's a lot of work to be done before we see the kind of results that we've seen in America.
Speaker 3: But on the flip side, does that mean no recession?
Speaker 7: Then?
Speaker 3: For Europe? In what is this kind of very volatile trading world right now, very volatile geopolitical world. How do you see Europe currently?
Speaker 5: Our own forecast as well as those of the ECB, are that the economy will economic growth was slow as a result of this trade war, and it will be a shock, but it's unlikely to be large enough to push the EU area into recession at this stage.
Speaker 3: Okay, So then how does the ECB's situation stack up versus other central banks? Again, we're watching the Federal Reserve closely. Given that the trade picture in the US markets have really paused and slowed down the pace at which they think the Fed's going to cut. How does that influence the ECB.
Speaker 1: I think you.
Speaker 5: Generally put central banks around the world into two categories, and one only has the Federal Reserve, and they're having to worry about the impact GDP of the tariffs as well as on inflation because this will directly increase prices in the United States and just about every other central bank in the world is more focused on the impact on the economy less so on inflation. Of course, there could be some inflationary pressures if they were retaliatory measures put in place, but they're really focused on the damage to the economy. That is particularly for countries with large trade surpluses that depend upon foreign demand, in particular US demand to keep their economies going through the external sector through those exports to America.
Speaker 3: Is there anything that we should be thinking about, anything unusual that you think is going to pop up? I have to ask this question now because I think so many things moving so rapidly currently. Is there something that we should think about in the days ahead, you know, when it comes to the ECB meeting, maybe that our audiences doesn't have on their radar.
Speaker 5: I think what I'll be looking for. I'm not really expecting this, but this is something that I'll be looking for. Is is the ECB looking to take out insurance by being extra duvish, meaning that do they want to kind of prepare the market for further easing later in the year just in case things get much worse? We know already that you know, well, essentially, as I mentioned before, they will kind of be it neutral after this, but how much are they going to look forward to further cuts?
Speaker 3: My thanks to Bloomberg's David Powell for speaking to me, and of course we'll have full coverage of the ECB rate decision from Frankfurt here on Bloomberg Radio. I'm Caroline Hepgar in London and you can catch us every weekday morning for Bloomberg Daybreak. You're at beginning at six am in London. That's one am on Wall Street.
Speaker 2: Tom, Thank you, Caroline, and coming up on Bloomberg Daybreak weekend to look into how Vietnam's economy has been impacted by tariffs. I'm Tom Busby and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Tom Busby in New York. Vietnam is under the threat of aggressive tariffs from the Trump administration. The levees on hold for now pending trade talks, but Vietnam's economy is still being affected. For a closer look, let's get to Bloomberg's Doug Chrisner host of the Bloomberg Asia podcast.
Speaker 4: Tom there is no greater risk for economies in Asia than US trade policy.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: The Trump administration has been using the leverage of tariffs in attempting to negotiate new trade agreements as a way of helping to reduce America's many trade deficits. Not to be fair, there is a big question mark now over the legality of these levees. In the last week, the Court of International Trade deemed the tariffs illegal and it blocked them. Now the Trump administration is appealing this decision and the case may ultimately be decided by the US Supreme Court. But before this development, US trading partners were lining up and many were in the midst of trade negotiations with the administration as a way of getting tariff relief. And among the countries at the table Vietnam. In the coming week we will get trade data for this country, so we thought it would be a good time to look at Vietnam's overall economy, the impact that tariffs are having, as well as the trade relationship between Hanoi and Washington. I'm joined now by Bloomberg's Katya Dmitrieva. Katya is Asia economy reporter, She joins us from Hong Kong. Good of you to make time to chat with me about this. Recently, I know that Vietnam and the US concluded a second round of trade negotiations. Do we have a sense of how well the conversation is progressing well?
Speaker 10: About the same sense that we have with any of the trade talks at this point. We know that Vietnam has made in fact, it was one of the first countries to make concessions and offers to the US. So even before trade negotiations started, they were talking about buying more Boeing airplanes or trying to find a way to sort of narrow the trade gap, which of course is the biggest focus for the Trump administration is that is that trade deficit that they have with Vietnam, and Vietnam has its biggest trade surplus with the US. So there was already this sense that Vietnam was able to sort of bend over backwards to secure a good bilateral deal with the US because the economy depends so much on the States. The most recent negotiations were a bit tricky because, of course, going into them as they began, Vietnamese officials we're talking about how Trump's tariffs were seen is unreasonable and for a kind of relatively small economy like Vietnam, a forty six percent tariff would be absolutely punishing and seem to catch leadership off guard. So there hasn't been a deal yet, like the UK, like China, there has not been anything announced even temporarily with Vietnam, and of course we'll have to wait and see how those negotiations continued.
Speaker 4: Vietnam has been one of Asia's fastest growing economies. It was only a few years ago that many on the equity side that put money to work in Asia referred to Vietnam as still being a frontier economy. And I think that the US recognizes Vietnam as a non market economy, does that necessarily put Vietnam at a disadvantage in these trade negotiations.
Speaker 10: It's definitely coming to the trade negotiations from a position that's quite different from the EU or China, for example. It is a smaller economy. It has left ability to push back on Trump in the way of seeing, for example, China pushing back on the US and these talks and sort of making marking out concessions and getting tariffs moved down substantially, at least temporarily, so it's a smaller economy, it has fewer levers, and frankly, it depends a lot on the US. So about thirty percent of its total GDP is just US exports or exports to the US. So it's one of the most among Southeast Asian economies, but also globally. And so if you're in that position as a nation, you want to do everything in your power to try to fix that as soon as possible, even if it means potentially buying more goods, kind of asking companies to extend themselves in that way, or buying things maybe that the country doesn't necessarily need, or making concessions when it comes to their own trade protectionism.
Speaker 4: Many supply chains, as you well know, were reconfigured during the first Trumpet administration as a way of trying to reduce exposure to China that seemed to accelerate during the pandemic Vietnam. I think it's fair to say was a big beneficiary during that period, and from what I've read, the country has been under a bit of scrutiny here to prove that its exports are not actually made in China, or at least that part of the supply chain is not strongly linked in a way that kind of mask the fact that these products essentially are originating in China. Is that fair?
Speaker 10: Yeah, And this is why the trade data next week will be so interesting. Vietnam has become a hub for companies, but I think fair to say for Chinese companies in particular. During the twenty eighteen twenty nineteen trade war, you had factories all along the supply chain casting around looking for places to start producing goods that were not in China that we're not going to be targeted so heavily and explicitly by the US, which is the biggest customer. So they went to a number of places, but Vietnam ended up being a big hub. And so the ties between the two countries, between China and Vietnam are quite close, with exchange of goods and materials and people as well workers. So there was a growing sense in the US that this kind of relationship would or could start to bypass those US rules, and in some cases they did.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 10: There was an example of Linoleum flooring that there was an investigation into in the US and they found that a lot of the components were actually coming from China. Because these items have to undergo it's called substantial transformation in this country in a second country before being shipped out. You can't just legally, at least in the trade realm, you can't just ship an item to a second location, stick a label on it, ship it to the US and say it's from Vietnam and not China. So there's sort of a debate about how much of trade is that is that kind of illegal re routing or transhipment.
Speaker 7: I've seen estimates.
Speaker 10: Anywhere from five to twenty percent, which is a lot when you think about the flow of trade, but it's a very difficult to prove. There are limited ways to sort of target it, even from an administration level. So that will form an interesting part of the negotiations because one thing I've been wondering is how are they going to address that. Will there be sort of more of an imperative for Vietnam and Vitamese companies to start investigating this stuff at the factory level, to supply some sort of documentation or heavier documentation. That's definitely one question in these talks that might be a bit different from other countries, and I think the trade data next week, and in fact, a lot of the figures we're getting next week, as you say, said, will provide a look at what's happening in global commerce. Because we had the Libration Day tariffs, we had the lifting of the Liberation Day tariffs, we had re routing across and front loading across Asia. We had last month double digit trade growth from Vietnam as well as other Southeast Asian economies. So if that's continuing to roll through, it's positive for Vietnam's economy, which is aiming for eight percent growth this year, which is pretty high target even though it's one of the fastest growing economies in the world. But can they still do that with this forty six percent tariff threat hanging over them? And can they do that when increasing trade and this over reliance on trade is just going to exacerbate this issue of the trade deficit from Trump's view.
Speaker 4: So recently, Vietnam and France agreed to boost cooperation in a couple of areas. I think defense security them. It kind of goes to the area of technology and cybersecurity, which you don't necessarily think of when you think of Vietnam. First, can we look at how Hanoi is going about finding new trade relationships given the tension that exists with the Trump administration.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 10: So Vietnam's leader Tolam recently went on a tour of Central Asia and Russia, and part of this I think was aimed at sort of shoring up support diversifying. We had the Asyon Summit recently in the region, and the big takeaway from that was countries across the region, from Cambodia to Vietnam, Malaysia Anddonesia, they need to diversify their sources. And again, Vietnam is kind of a prime example of this. It's had such an incredible growth and development story. It's still a developing economy, but the household incomes and wealth has the poverty rate has fallen, really mirroring I think what happened in China during this manufacturing revolution. The question is now, can the government pivot from that model of growth to something more a consumer led but also more innovative, And that's where the technology and the AI comes in. And the question will be can they do that in an economy that's still quite controlled and is not necessarily one that's you know, when you look at the US, for example, and the export of services, a lot of that is in the tech sector. It's software, it's development, it's ingenuity and development. And the question is can Vietnam do that under its own government system, which is still quite closed and still quite controlled top down?
Speaker 4: Katya, Before I let you go, I have to ask about the golf resort that President Trump's real estate company is intending to build in Vietnam. Can you help me understand where things at the moment?
Speaker 10: This is such an interesting part of this entire story because the Trump organization is building a one point five billion dollar golf resort in the country. It's just outside of Hanoi, and it's happening at the same time as these trade negotiations, and the country is desperate to get a deal with the US, so it's very interesting timing. And critics have actually pointed out that this process has been fast tracked in the country. So usually there's a process in Vietnam for environmental standards, for getting community approval, and a lot of legal experts have pointed to that being bypassed or sped through. And this is pretty important for people who live there because it's a lot of farmland people, you know, individuals own this land. The fact that the government could be doing a process or making this process in a way that they normally wouldn't it is definitely raising some eyes. There's also, of course, in ho Chi Minh, there's a skyscraper also part of the Trump organization that they're trying to build. So there's sort of this real estate part to this as well, and of course Trump's connection to all of us.
Speaker 4: It's going to be very interesting to watch. Katya. Thank you so much for helping us understand more about what's happening these days in Vietnam as we look ahead to next week's trade data. Bloomberg's Katya Dmitrieva. Katya is Asia Economy reporter joining from Hong Kong, and I'm Doug Krisner. You can catch us weekdays for the Daybreak Asia podcast. It's available wherever you get your podcast. Tom.
Speaker 2: Thanks Doug, and that does it for this edition of Bloomberg day Break Weekend. Join us again Monday morning at five am Wall Street Time for the latest on markets overseas and the news you need to start your day. I'm Tom Busby. Stay with us top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.
Speaker 7: S