Speaker 1: Sabrina, are you an ocean fan?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, and I you all make your TL just the way you know.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's stolen something from you.
Speaker 2: I have zero trust in the ocean. I don't know what's down there. And I love mermaids like the mermaids are. But I like mermaids like with the idea of like them being in my pool versus like the ocean.
Speaker 1: Because do you have mermaids in your pool?
Speaker 2: I mean I want little I did when I was little, I played mermaid all the time.
Speaker 1: But so you were the mermaid, Yes, okay, and that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Like for instance, I've done snuba diving, and I thought that was going to be the end of my relationship with Jordan because he kind of forced me to go when I told him, I'm scared of the ocean. I don't like sharks. I don't know what's down there.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I gotta stop you did you did you say snuba diving?
Speaker 2: Snuba so not scuba. It's a step and I now would highly recommend it because I had it. You don't go as far down. Your tank is up on like a like a floated air base, like so that you follow it up to the tank like your cord. It felt a lot more safe than what I would assume scuba when you're just out there and it's.
Speaker 1: Like, hey, if you come back right if not, so you can be the bait on the end of a hook. Then you did. Being able to go out into the ocean, I could look up.
Speaker 2: And see, I feel like scuba diving, you go so far down, can you even see the top of where you're gonna be eventually?
Speaker 3: Like and I ask what the acronym snuba stands for.
Speaker 2: Uh? No, I have no idea.
Speaker 1: No you can't.
Speaker 4: No, you can't.
Speaker 2: So you have to You don't have to have any like zero training. You have a you have a guide that goes down there with you and they set you up. You get weighted down and you.
Speaker 3: Know, I mean, I have nexus underwater breathing apparatus.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a big swing and a miss for me.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I'm just telling you, I was so nervous just going down once I you know what is it? Uh equalized my ears and all that, and I was all I was good. It was incredible and it may at one in the Caribbean. And I was told no sharks inhibit that area. But it's like the oh, I'm so scared of sharks, Like I would never do a shark dive thing in a cage. I watched Shark Week. Everything they do seems like just the kiss of death. So I am not an ocean person at all. I like pools.
Speaker 1: Okay, are you do you go into the ocean? No? I don't go to the ocean.
Speaker 3: But that's because it usually involves taking off my shirt, which I never do anyway, So okay, yeah, I'm usually.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't go to the pool, So you're just like not going to.
Speaker 3: The pool by myself at like three o'clock in the morning when nobody's around.
Speaker 1: Then I go. Then I enjoy myself.
Speaker 4: That's that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ocean terrifies and I don't I have done and this is about ours. I have swam with dolphins and again looked at Jordan, like, how do you talk me into doing these things where I end up being out? You have to like Superman, the water, flex your feet, the dolphins come up behind your feet. Amazing to the water. I was in Cosamel and the water it was like kind of an overcast day, so like it looks like where they had us. We weren't in a pool like I was told i'd be in. It looks we're out in the ocean and it looks like it's blocked off. But then they tell me to swim out into the middle of this dark ocean because it's like overcast, and just spread my arms. I'm on my stomach, spread my arms, pull my feet up, flex my feet, and the dolphins will come. Once they hit, like, once they push against my feet, I lift my chest. I'm looking at these people like.
Speaker 1: Mine. That's so scary.
Speaker 2: And they're like, well, come meet the dolphins next before you do that, and I'm like, yeah, that'd be great, Like let's get a little bit, let's get a little chemistry going to.
Speaker 1: So wonderful.
Speaker 2: And they're so sweet. Their eyes are just like yeah, they they do look like people like and they feel they're so sweet. These animals are amazing. However, that will be the last time. If it's not. If it was in a pool, I would have trusted it more. I just the oh shit freaks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, apparently, wow, I don't I don't like I don't like sharks either, but for a totally different reason.
Speaker 2: So what's your reason.
Speaker 3: I was bullied in high school by a shark. He used to take my lunch money every day. It was really annoying and I just never really got over it.
Speaker 2: So is this a reference I should understand? Was this was this some boy meets World?
Speaker 1: No? No, I just we I had a shark in my high school. Pete Nobody, Petey shark. Yeah, used to take my lunch money every day. Anyway, Welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that.
Speaker 3: Makes you want to grab your friends, your pj's, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses are smart.
Speaker 1: The waves, tsunami and Snooba wasn't.
Speaker 3: A thing that's gonna stick with me. But anyway, I'm Wilfordell.
Speaker 2: It's real, and I'm Sabrina.
Speaker 1: I'm here to tell you I'm going spor but later it's gonna be fun. Uh. This week we are diving deeper than ever before. In case you can't tell with a brand new dcom that somehow involved romance and tell, I can say it out loud and tell it pathically speaking to dolphins.
Speaker 3: It's the romantic underwater drama of two thousand and two, A Ring of Endless Light.
Speaker 1: This should have been called the movie not made for will.
Speaker 3: It debuted on the Disney Channel August twenty third, two thousand and two, and is based on a nineteen eighty Madeline el Angle book of the same name.
Speaker 1: And I mean, let's get this out of the way right now.
Speaker 3: The title is a phrase first seen in the seventeenth century poem The World by Henry Vaughan.
Speaker 1: But we all knew that obviously. Also. Fans of the original el Angle book, the fourth.
Speaker 3: Novel about Vicki and her family from a series that began in nineteen sixty, hated the movie because it veered drastically from details of the original story. So examples, the book predominantly included Vicky's parents, which were notably absent for most of the film. Same with an older brother she had in the book, John, He's just not in the movie at all. Her grandfather is honest about his sickness right from the beginning, which would seem like the biggest deviation, but it's actually not. The book's relationship with death is vastly different, because every.
Speaker 1: Kid's book loves death.
Speaker 3: In the book, a family friend has just died while trying to save the life of Zachary, who's in a lot more turmoil than the film depicts. A marine biologist is nearly killed in an accident, a sick girl suffers a seizure and dies in Vicki's arms, and the entire net storyline is absence. So it sounds like the book was really funny, and ironically it was scratch.
Speaker 2: And sniff like, that's a children's.
Speaker 1: Book, apparently young adult. I would say it's probably a.
Speaker 2: Whyae okay, yes, young like what like.
Speaker 1: Twelve thirteen, Yeah, twelve thirteen, because the original title of the book was Death and Dolphins and it just didn't sell as well.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm going to have you believe that's true by the end. So maybe it's safe to say this movie is nothing like the book. But that's what you get when you're thrown into the Disney machine.
Speaker 1: Baby.
Speaker 3: The movie is filmed where all beach based dcoms tend to shoot Australia, where all the comedy just goes in the other direction, much like fans of the book. The movie was not a it with critics and viewers. They found it to be too light for the source material, taking notations of death and folding it into quote gidget meets Flipper unquote and musically Endless Light features a song from a popular band of the time, switch Foot, So there's that. As expected, You two can watch A Ring of Endless Light. No wetsuit needed, just a subscription at Disney Plus, which is currently available to stream. You get to choose do you watch it before or after listening to us?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Sabrina and I usually watch it after we've done our episode, so we don't feel obliged.
Speaker 1: To get anything right. We just guess what happens, and usually we're just very very lucky. Weigh it. Yeah, what the hell?
Speaker 3: Okay, So did you know anything about A Ring of Endless Light before?
Speaker 2: I didn't, And honestly, I felt like I was clueless to any of it while watching the first what as far as having anything to do with any kind of ring of light of whatsoever? I was so confused.
Speaker 3: Yeah, about the title, yeah, I think that's more supposed to be the you know, it's a uh it's symbolism.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can ask me. Do you need to ask me?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm besides you talking about it almost every episode time this.
Speaker 1: Movie this week. No, I've never seen this.
Speaker 3: It should have been called Nicholas Sparks The Ring of Endless light.
Speaker 1: By the way, all right, so.
Speaker 3: Let's roll out the drift net. It's time to reel in the synopsis. Teenager Vicky Austin spends a transformative summer on a small island with her grandpa.
Speaker 1: For I'm we'll get into that.
Speaker 3: She falls for a boy who studies dolphins communication, and she faces illness, loss, and another local love interest. Vicky learns that connection, compassion, and courage can illuminate even the darkest of times. Also, she can communicate with dolphins.
Speaker 1: Such a great synopsis just at the end. Also she can commune. Also she's a wizard.
Speaker 2: By the way, tidbit, Yes.
Speaker 1: She could communicate with dolphins. So what were your overall thoughts on A Ring of Endless Light?
Speaker 2: You know, it went and down for me throughout the whole movie parts of it. I was like, okay, I'm in it. At the very beginning, for some reason, the set of where they were seemed like I was on Tom Sawyer's island, like a little bit too Disney for me, Like the the ship carts or whatever, those like crates and stuff like that. Kind of like, okay, you know, the casts from the beginning as far as it being a young you know, very well known cast. I felt like, Okay, then it kind of I got bored sometimes, I think is the thing. I got a little bored in a few moments, and then the end ripped me apart and made me not even want to finish the last ten minutes, oh, the last six minutes. Yeah, it ripped me apart.
Speaker 1: I you didn't see it coming. I did, but I did.
Speaker 2: Not believe they were gonna do that to me.
Speaker 1: They I did not.
Speaker 2: Believe it, and especially the way it happened. I'm like, if I'm coming to Disney Channel, I'm not looking for that stuff. Okay. That means I'm in a vulnerable place where I can I handle.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, this to me don't walk. Yeah, it was so okay. My early thoughts are this, Yes, early thoughts, Well, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm either going to become a marine biologist or I now hate dolphins.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know what.
Speaker 3: This movie was about. The tone was weird, and then it hit me halfway through.
Speaker 1: So you know, those like Shaley Woodley's dying and has an oxygen tank and can only be five feet apart from whoever she's supposed to be with, and there's those kind of movies.
Speaker 3: That's what this was slightly disnified. Okay, the Fault in Our Stars, thank you Lisa.
Speaker 6: Oh sid Wow, that was like this seems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're also oh there's also five feet apart with other people.
Speaker 1: Okay, so those.
Speaker 3: Kind of movies where it's like, it's a love story, but they're also it's a love story where everybody's got some kind of horrible disease or something and people are gonna die. And so I can see like, and I'm not trying to gender anybody, but I can see like teenage girls loving what they're watching, and then the teenage boys who brought them on the date sitting in the movie theater going like, this is the worst thing I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 2: I can't believe I paid for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's but but they put a smile on because they're like hoping to get a kiss over the popcorn.
Speaker 3: That is kind of what I felt with this movie. It seemed like this was that vibe of like the Fault Inner Stars, where the fact that she could talk to dolphins basically had nothing.
Speaker 1: To do with this movie.
Speaker 3: It was kind of just about this love story between the two her and two guys who she's trying to weirdly pick, and then a grandfather who understands her, and a family dynamic and then.
Speaker 1: Oh and by the way, there's dolphins. That's like kind of what it seemed like. So I don't know, is the answer to your question of I don't know what I felt about this movie. Like you said, the cast great, Yeah, the look of it looked really weird.
Speaker 3: It looked like a low budget movie shot in Australia, which I know that sounds like a terrible thing. But I even texted producer Jensen at one point and I was like, at least in the first twenty minutes, did they dub almost everybody's performance like it.
Speaker 2: Seemed it seemed like that.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was.
Speaker 2: Distracting a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was like, are are the what's going on? Why did some of the mouthfulaps don't match?
Speaker 2: And I imagine, I mean, I don't know why they wouldn't match, but I imagine the dubbing was because they were like on a shoreline like where it.
Speaker 1: Was probably maybe, but then they're doing weird. But that was another thing. We'll get into the breakdown.
Speaker 3: But you know, they're like cutting to them on a boat in the beginning, and then they're doing close ups where nobody's hair is blowing and they're just blue sky behind them, and then they're cutting to the boat where their hair is whipping all over, and then again just by themselves. It looked almost soap opery like it was just it didn't look good for a lot of it.
Speaker 1: The CG I was terrible. Okay, there we go.
Speaker 3: This movie, like the Nicholas Sparks movie called The Last Song with Miley Cyrus, very similar, except with turtles and instead of a grandpa was her dad.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yes. It had that vibe where it's just this.
Speaker 3: It was very slow, it was very sackering, new music playing in the background as she's deciding which one of these boys to fall for. It was that kind of thing. So yes, I don't know what I think about it, but well let's get into it now. A name we are familiar with directed this movie, Greg Beeman. He was a magical World of Disney guy directing The Richest Cat in the World, which we still have to see because oh my god, I love that title, and Little Spies, which again I have a lot of questions about that title as well, then ventured into a teen comedy with the nineteen eighty eighth Licensed to Drive with Corey Feldman and Corey Haim. I think that's the one where Feldman does his famous dance on the bleachers.
Speaker 1: I believe that's Licensed to Drive.
Speaker 3: But it's his experience with other dcoms that should really catch our attention. How about Miracle on Lane two, one of our favorites, Horse Sense, which we loved, which everyone liked better than me but was still really good and the first d com ever made under wraps. Wow, So I would not see I wouldn't be shocked. I don't think you would be either to see him nominated for Best Director when we eventually put together our magical rewind Awards.
Speaker 2: Absolutely which tatily.
Speaker 1: Calling the Rewindees. Do we like that? Are we still working?
Speaker 2: We'll put that on the list.
Speaker 3: We'll figure it out. We'll figure it out, story h and everywhere. Every winner of a Rewindee gets a free, fully paid trip to try Snuba wherever Snuba is done, along with.
Speaker 2: A free subscription to iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: To iHeart Radio and the Rewindes magazine. It stars Mischa Barton as the main character. Vicky Austen.
Speaker 3: Barton was a child actor in movies like The Sixth Sense and Nodding Hill I See Mesha Barton, But it wasn't until she was cast as Marissa Cooper on the two thousands y A drama The o C that she became a bit of a household name. She would have an unceremonious split with the show killing her off abruptly, and since then her career has been in a bit of a roller coaster, both in and out of the tabloids. Her most recent job in the US was a cast member on the quasi reality show reboot of MTV's The Hills in twenty nineteen and Other than The Letters MTV in twenty nineteen, I didn't understand anything.
Speaker 2: I just O this show. It made me forget that she was an actress. It made me think that she was originally on the MTV reality show Laguna Beach, which is like what the spinoff is from instead.
Speaker 1: Of but are they acting or is it no?
Speaker 2: Laguna Beach is a reality show that was like one of the first kind of ones that came out, especially for the second kids.
Speaker 3: Isn't the guy that's now on Traders. Wasn't he on Laguna Beach and he's an actor because he was on One Tree Hill.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Steve.
Speaker 1: Stephen something Spencer. Oh he became an actor after?
Speaker 2: Oh god, Okay, yeah, yes, so he was on Yes, he was on Laguna Beach. The O was like the scripted version of Laguna Beach. Like they were all, you know, having parties and caddy fights and blah blah blah, and the drama was big, but like, yeah, so it was on at the same time. It was on at the same time. Laguna Beach was the reality show. The OC was actually a scripted show, and me show was the star of that, but then went on to the reality sub thing after and it made me forget that she was actually on the scripted show and she's actually an actress.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeahs so confusing. It's keep reality reality and scripted scripted.
Speaker 3: Don't cross the two because then it's hard enough watching TV people. And then, of course we have a decom regular Ryan Merriman as Adam Eddington. It should be at least acknowledged that for this movie. His name is a lot like Murrman, Merriman, Murhrimant. It's the Ocean movie never Mind I'll Show Myself Out. Merriman began his career on a sitcom called The Mommy's which is often referenced on Podmeats World because The Mommis had writer's older brother. Shiloh is one of the stars himself all over the Disney Channel in d COM's Smart House, The Luck of the Irish. She also appeared in some very popular horror movies, Halloween Resurrection Final Destination three. That's the one where the guy gets the whole car engine to the back of the head and the drive through cool and the ring too.
Speaker 1: This time it's personal. Jared Padalki plays Zachary Gray.
Speaker 3: Padilecki is best known as Dean Forrester on Gilmour Girls and Sam Winchester on Supernatural to great Names by the way, He too starred in horror movies like House of Wax and one of those forgettable Friday the Thirteenth three Boots. I think it was called Friday the Sixteenth with Nobody cared about just a regular day. Scarlett Palmers is Susie Austin. Palmers was busy when she filmed this movie. She was playing Kira Hart on the long running TV show Riba and had already been on sixteen episodes.
Speaker 1: Of Star Trek Voyage are so cool.
Speaker 3: She was also in the movie Aaron Brockovich, but I don't think she played Aaron Brockovich.
Speaker 1: I believe that was Jose she did. Yeah, I could be wrong, so I'm pretty sure. Yea. And though I'm not ready to put him in the Dabney Reynolds chair, I love seeing James Whitmore as the grandfather. Now, not to be confused, he did not make up the Whitman sampler of chocolates. That's a different guy.
Speaker 3: This is James Whitmore, who was a legendary character actor whose career dates all the way back to working alongside.
Speaker 1: Clark Gable and Nancy Reagan.
Speaker 3: He also was in the cult classic movie Them exclamation Point, but is most recognizable as the fragile prisoner turned parole Brooks in The Shawshank Redemption. Oh and it's just Shawshank Redemption, I added the which I shouldn't. He also won an Emmy for a guest star role on The Practice. Fun fact about Whitmore, At one time he was married to the actress who played Missus Roper.
Speaker 1: Yes, do you know who that is missus Roper. Oh so sad and my heart just died a little bit more Oh threes company.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, okay, sorry, okay, come on now, I know I mean.
Speaker 1: Coming do Sorry, We'll be waiting for you. Yeah, I just like with a cheetah girl.
Speaker 3: Whitmore died in two thousand and nine at the age of eighty seven. But you're so that's the cast. That's you know, an important thing in the story and where it's shot.
Speaker 1: Now, but how long is this movie? People? That's all we really care about.
Speaker 3: It's the eye of the storm, the filet of the mignon, the end of the Tipsy Pop.
Speaker 1: As you know, we always set the target at ninety minutes.
Speaker 3: And keep in mind, this movie already has the word endless in the title. I'm worried, and so this movie.
Speaker 1: Is eighty eight minutes too, off the target, but on the right side of history. So we can all sleep at night knowing that someone out there at least got that right. And I hate to say this, but it felt like a very long eighty eight minutes. Am I wrong? It was just no, it dragged.
Speaker 2: There is moments for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's talk about the writers. We have the book's author Madeline and Angle. That's the l Lula Angle with their standard credit, but the teleplay credit went to Bruce Graham, someone we just book about in the podcast, since he wrote a favorite of ours right on track. He also wrote the DCOM Tiger Cruz, the animated movie Yet I haven't seen anything, the animated movie Anastasia, and the monkey centric hotel film.
Speaker 1: Dunstan checks in and Graham shares credit with Marita Giovanni. And here it is again a DCOM constant. This is the co writer's only real writing credit.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's not waste no more time focus because the dolphins are telepathically letting you know it's time to recap a ring of endless light. Well, it should come as no surprise that this film starts underwater. A young girl, Vicky, is swimming in the ocean. She's a mermaid, most likely in her thirteenth year. She effortlessly flips as fish pass by. Then she sees a large net and swims right into it to investigate, and quickly she finds herself stuck. She tries to wiggle out but can't. She's trapped and panicking, and then she wakes up on a ferry. She has human legs and a knit hat. Was just a nightmare. Her little brother Rob is there with a jar of new bugs.
Speaker 1: He's proud of.
Speaker 3: Vicky rushes downstairs to ask another girl, her little sister, overachiever Susie, if they've arrived yet. Not yet, but they're close. Also, I thought that was kind of weird.
Speaker 1: Are we there yet? Well, we're still on the boat, don't you think if we're on the.
Speaker 2: Land, will were there? Bh?
Speaker 3: We Doki, thank you so much, there, Vicky. Vicky is so excited to stay with their grandfather again. The ferry arrives at seven Bay Island and an old man rushes out his red VW bug that has an umbrella as a roof. He welcomes the siblings as they pull into the dock. And this is clearly their grandfather. And you can tell because weirdly, throughout the entire movie they only call him grandfather, not grandpa, not poppy, grandfather, grandfather, what should we be doing today?
Speaker 1: Grandfather? I can talk to dolphins. Grandfather.
Speaker 3: It's like, it was weird. After a while, nobody just gets hello, grandfather.
Speaker 2: It was weird anyway, Well, maybe their other grandpa was their Grandpa.
Speaker 1: Okay, then come up with a different name. Who calls it?
Speaker 3: It's like calling your mother Hello, mother, Yes, grandfather, what can I do for you? The butter is fully churned? Grandfather you no, no, Kayla? Do you do that?
Speaker 1: Yes, grandfather? No one does.
Speaker 3: No one does outside of eighteen forty, no one calls them grandfather.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 3: Susie returns his telescope, and Rob wants to know where mister Rochester and ned r who we turn you know to find out are his dog and cat. Vicky takes a long look back at the ocean. She's daydreaming again. Eventually, her grandfather, yes, grandfather, hushes her into a car, thrilled to have her visiting, and thank God for that umbrella because as they pull into the waterfront home it is pouring. Once inside, Vicky wants to know if anyone's called, specifically Zachary Gray, some boy that she likes. Vicky calls home to check in, but is annoyed by her mother's line of questioning. She explains she hasn't had time, but promises she'll complete whatever she's being pastured about. Once off the phone and now depress, Vicki walks off and pouts near the rain. A lot of just single shots of Vicky in this movie doing stuff looking out. Her grandfather notices but doesn't say anything. Yes, grandfather, I'm going to look at the rain.
Speaker 1: That night.
Speaker 3: Everyone is asleep but Vicky. She's reading a physics textbook like all the cool kids do during vacation. Her grandfather walks in. The storm has passed and he wants to set up the telescope. He notices her odd choice of reading, and she explained she promised her parents that she'd studied for an enrollment test. They want her to transfer to an exceptional school at the university they work at, and she's still having trouble with the math and science part. Her grandpa guides her downstairs for a present. He gives her the collected Poems of Victoria Austin, Volume one.
Speaker 1: It's all the.
Speaker 3: Poems she's given him over the years, now glued into a bound book. He loves her writing and wanted everything to be in one place. He wonders if anyone has seen her work besides him, but she's kept it all to herself. Her grandfather swears she's brilliant as she hugs him for the kind words he Winces is in pain. He blames his back, but also is out of breath. He wishes her a good night and goes to bed, looking forward to volume two. And I was like, oh, this guy's not gonna make it, And I was right.
Speaker 1: He retreats upstairs and dies. I'm kidding.
Speaker 3: He rushes to his bedstand and takes some pills. But I was like, this again, he's he might as well.
Speaker 1: Have been wearing a Red Star Trek shirt the entire time this guy was dead.
Speaker 2: He come on, oh, I know, I know, I know, and it just just missed me off.
Speaker 3: Like, did you that the old man that they set up was dying the whole time actually dies spoiler alert everyone.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, no, I thought it would be like at the end of the movie, like whenever, you know, like the at the end they were gonna be at like his funeral, not the way they did it.
Speaker 4: That way to milk that ooh much.
Speaker 1: Yes, they needed to milk it. We'll get into it.
Speaker 3: The next morning, while cleaning their grandfather's house, the girls notice a dreamy boy biking up their driveway, shirt flap it in the breeze.
Speaker 1: He introduces himself as Adam.
Speaker 3: He's there to return some philosophy books, so we know he is a thinker this one and knows all.
Speaker 1: About the grandkids.
Speaker 3: Susie talks to me about astrophysics and how she's gearing to apply to MIT for early admittance. He's already been admitted to Harvard name dropper for marine biology and works with dolphins at the nearby Marine Center. Vicki chimes in she loves dolphins, but she's never met one or anything, and so he invites the girls to accompany him to the center, which sounds like a great place to start a cult.
Speaker 1: He's on his way now, it's like we're going to the center.
Speaker 3: They all jump on bikes and leave with the hot, smart dolphin guy, and on the way, a convertible Porsche pulls up right next to them. Susie seems annoyed by the driver. This is Zachary Gray mentioned earlier. They had a thing last summer, but he never returned any of her letters during the school year. He seems like a real well as they would say. He invites Vicky to ride in his car, but she says no and speeds off. She has an appointment with a dolphin now on a doc Adam is throwing fish into the water feeding dolphins. I'm not going to ask you this next question that we have set up because we already know that dolphins are your favorite and you just need to be pushed in the darkened water until a shark comes up and bites your just like, go exactly, chompty pete from high school?
Speaker 1: Whatever, Pete, Pete, pete the shark.
Speaker 3: Adam endearingly loves dolphins, and he knows a lot of facts about them. He encourages the girls to feed him, but only Vicky takes him up on the offer. I don't know why the smart girl wouldn't want to feed the dolphins. That made no sense where Susie's like, I'm not gonna feed dolphins. Okay, it sounds like a really awesome way to spend the day, Susie.
Speaker 1: But whatever.
Speaker 3: Adam mentions at one time dolphins left land and returned to sea, claiming them and whales are the only species to do that. Vicky jumps in like a real weirdo, earnestly adding mermaids to that list because they're real too. Susie calls her ridiculous, but Adam makes her feel good about being stupid by explaining the myth. Adam and Susie start talking about computers and whatever else nerds chat about. Hey, easy on the nerd talk people. I'm one myself, by the way. If your computer person, it's geeks. Nerds are us nerdy people. And you can tell by the number of dungeon and dragons dice that.
Speaker 1: I have on my desk. Well, Vicky continues to connect with the dolphins, especially one name Enid. They have an instant bond, and Vicky knows the dolphin is worried about her soon to be born calf.
Speaker 3: Adam doesn't get it. How did you know the dolphin was pregnant? Vicki claims she didn't know. She just looked pregnant, quote unquote, and just like that, this chick can talk to dolphins.
Speaker 1: And again it's kind of comes up later, But it's not like you figured this would be the crux of the film. But it's not at all.
Speaker 3: It's just a random side thing at Grandfather's, says Grandpa's, but I'm just gonna call him grandfather. Vicky is back with the textbook and frustrated, she takes a break to ask her sister what she thought of Adam. She thinks he's too nature based, not focused enough on numbers. Vicky then finds herself on the house's deck, where she sees her grandfather looking longingly out on the water, like someone who's dying would do.
Speaker 1: It's true, he's taking it all in while he can. He's got like eight scenes left.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, pass, I have to tell you where I'm at in this story as well, like where I'm thinking things are going. Oh god, I'm like, especially because we have seen a thirteenth year, right, so this is a Disney this could go. I mean we're talking about being able to talk to her mermaids. I'm thinking like he like he's a dolphin or talk to dolphins. Like I'm thinking like was that dolphin that she could understand? Her grandma that's been that passed away or she thought passed away. And he's trying to like wrap things up to wait, But the grandma Dolphin's pregnant.
Speaker 1: That's not weird, Like maybe I just so my grandma Dolphin's been cheating on my grandfather with another dolphins.
Speaker 7: Like all right, maybe I should just keep watching trying to figure out what the hell's going on. I'm with you, so confused at this point, like I'm trying to see where we're going to where I'm like having these other stories.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I thought I was one hundred percent sure that he was gonna say I can talk to dolphins too.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's why I stayed here.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I was I am a dolphin because.
Speaker 3: That's a little farther. I didn't think you're he was going to become a dolphin or.
Speaker 2: A but I literally was like, Okay, maybe I should just like just.
Speaker 3: Watch I'll just watch the movie and see which one of these people turns into a dolphin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't anyway.
Speaker 3: The next day, Vicky bikes back over to the research center and first checks her hair because she.
Speaker 1: Wants to see the dolphins, which I know it.
Speaker 2: It was poor girl, I know, and her hair this whole movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, except in close ups where they don't what doesn't move at all? Yeah, it's blowing everywhere.
Speaker 2: Except weird, weird.
Speaker 3: But she checks in to see how Enid is doing. Adam arrives in surprise she can already tell the dolphins apart. He takes her to me doctor zand, which sounds like a really cool, like evil comic book villain, the center's expert, who instantly asks how Vicky's grandpa is doing.
Speaker 1: Vicky shrugs it off, He's doing fine.
Speaker 3: Thanks, He's just out of breath from hugging her and sadly staring off into the ocean. Adam gets Vicky into a wet suit. That's gonna sound weird if you say that back, so let's try. Adam gets Vicky a wetsuit to help learn more about the way the dolphins communicate. Luckily for him, he's with a dolphin whisperer and doesn't even know it. Once in the water, Adam looks for ultrasonic impulses and Basil.
Speaker 1: It's actually basil, but Basil that's in.
Speaker 3: Its dolphin mate and obviously the side piece of Vicky's grandmother, who's a dolphin according to Sabrina, which would have made a much different like Basle. That just a very strange way to go with the movie. But it is what it is, who is kept close to keep everything copasetic and ready for her labor. And this is when I was like, okay, is this They address it well, no, but they also only address it very quickly. So the mother, the pregnant mother is essentially being kept in prison away from the family, because he tries to explain, he's like, well, we're raising some in captivity and we don't let them do anything. And then we have wild ones as well, so it's like, oh, okay, so you're trapping several of the dolphins, including pregnant Enid, And it was just.
Speaker 1: That, you know, I'm an animal, Like it struck me, like, really, I get what you're kind of doing, but you brush past the fact that, like you're raising some in captivity, you're keeping her separate from her mate. It's like, yikes, sort.
Speaker 2: Of felt like this might be thing that they do just with the pregnant ones, like to keep them better and away from away from harm. Especially Kid says.
Speaker 3: They raised a bunch, they raised one whole kind of pod in captivity, one whole.
Speaker 1: Family, and then they have the and this one wild ones. No, I guess this is what I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't It was like, where does the But it's.
Speaker 3: Like you watch Free Willie now and it's like, thank god, the movie is about letting the thing escape because it's you're they're in these little things and I get that they made it where it's like look how much room she has, but she's not out in the wild, and it was kind of like, yeas, So then I like you going, well, this can't just be a movie about this girl trying to pick between these two guys.
Speaker 1: So is she now gonna help to free the dolphins? Is like, what's gonna be?
Speaker 2: Okay? So, but we do end up seeing two dolphins together later I don't know.
Speaker 1: Then she he can open the gate, which lets the guy in, but it's not like they get there together all the time. He's got to let the wild one be wild. I don't know. Yeah, it's that weird with me, but anyway, he looks.
Speaker 3: He uses ultrasonic impulses to get the dolphins made. Who's kept close to keep everything copasetic and ready for her labor situation seems to concern Vicki, But before she can dive too deep, she sees a dolphin quickly approaching.
Speaker 1: It's basil. He jumps over her.
Speaker 3: And boy, these effects are not special? How bad was the cgi of the dolphins jumping over them?
Speaker 2: Right? And I'm kind of like, why these dolphins are so like I don't know. I did, I couldn't understand why they would have needed to. If they decided to do a movie with dolphins and they were going to be in the water with dolphins, wouldn't that be in the budget? And they can't?
Speaker 3: Just did you really need them jumping over them? Like you haven't cut to stock footage of him jumping out of the water and doing a flip like they did later, Like why why is that okay? But you need the really bad CGI where it was like, this does not look good.
Speaker 2: Well, in that time, it looked good, probably to people because they actually newer PGI.
Speaker 1: No, no, two thousand. They were doing some cool stuff in two thousands. I mean it's like Terminator two had already come and gone by this point. You can't do it. Dolphin flipping, if robots coming from the future and melting and everything, it's like you could do some cool by this point.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: Even though Basil is a little snappier with the other dolphins of the pen, Vicky effortlessly pets him without any problems, claiming he has an itch he wants scratched, and again, when pressed on how she knows this, she claims she just guessed.
Speaker 1: Adam notices Basil as a fresh gar in his back and this.
Speaker 3: Vicky whispers it was hard sharp seaweed, then pretend she didn't say anything about it. I want you to know something, Sabrina, because she she keeps everything private. If I can ever talk to dolphins.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna let you know. Okay, I'm not gonna keep it private as of now, it can't.
Speaker 2: You know, that's gonna weird me out.
Speaker 3: It's still just goldfish and the occasional koi, but not dolphins yet. All right again, we talked to just yesterday about how Americans can't keep two languages in their head. So now I'm supposed to be able to speak English and Dolphin.
Speaker 2: I can dolphin.
Speaker 4: A chance, sh.
Speaker 1: That happened? My god? I can barely speak frontseais back at the lab.
Speaker 3: Adam alerts Doctor Zand about the scar. This is Basil's third this week. He blames illegal drift nets on the Marie Rose, a commercial boat that has been catching in a regular amount offici lately, but Doctor Zan reminds him they are a research center, not the police out on the beach, so as he can't find her a clear nail polish, but we can. Little brother Rob is using it to preserve his.
Speaker 1: Bugs and there's a lot of like catching animals and casing them in this movie. Out on the water, the radical dude, some radical dude, a radical dude is performing jumps on a wave runner. Rob is very impressed. The trickster eventually pulls up on the sand and it's that.
Speaker 3: A hole Zachary Gray. He instantly goes in for a kiss, but Vicky pushes him away. He never even responded to a Christmas card, and it heard her. He apologizes, he was busy.
Speaker 2: He like, wait a minute, wait a minute, I need to if if Christmas cards were like the thing that like really set the standard of where you were in relationships, I'm like, I gotta go back in time and be a lot more pissed off. It's on my boyfriends. I would a Christmas card.
Speaker 1: Ever, I've never sent a Christmas card in my life. I've never given my wife.
Speaker 2: A Christmas card and send a Christmas card?
Speaker 1: You jerk, Like what, We're twelve, how dare you not send me a Christmas card?
Speaker 2: Like, oh my god, what that was so funny?
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, that was By the way, he might be a little older, but I figured she's what supposed to be like seventeen eighteen.
Speaker 2: She didn't seem seventeen at all.
Speaker 1: She didn't to me, but I think that's what she was supposed to be.
Speaker 2: I was thinking she'd be like a freshman, but then like the well, yeah.
Speaker 3: Her little sister said that she was going to get in trying to get an early admission to MIT in the next two years.
Speaker 1: Her sister was right, but her sister looks like she's what eleven?
Speaker 2: Okay, this was one of my Sabrina seas. I was like, what, who are these kids like early admission to MIT. He's already got into Harvard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're one of these smarty, smart families. That's what they're supposed to be.
Speaker 2: But even later on we just talked about the scene the little brother with the with the bugs on the beach. Yeah, he's like saying the like full on, Like I mean, I know he's a bug guy and loves bugs, but like he seemed to be very like, kind of very I think.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: My guess is, having not read any of these books, my guess is this is the she Vicky is the artist, born into a very scientific family.
Speaker 1: Yes, her parents work at a university. Her sister's going to go to mit.
Speaker 3: Her brother's a little nerdy bug guy, and she wants to write poetry, which is why her family is trying to get her to go like concentrate on physics and do all that.
Speaker 1: And it's her grandfather.
Speaker 3: That's why she's like, my grandfather's the only one who understands me, because he's like, art is just as important as the science.
Speaker 1: And they didn't.
Speaker 3: I had to infer that from the film. They did not really bracket it, and they should have. But that's my guess is she's like.
Speaker 2: Little small things like oh, I'm going to go into I'm getting early I want to get early acceptance, I want this, I want that.
Speaker 3: It's like I think they were trying to set it up to where she's she's the artist born into a very scientific family, right, so yeah, but he yeah, you're right, No, no Christmas card at fifteen, we're done. He apologies, He apologizes, he was busy getting thrown out of private schools. Also, his mom died.
Speaker 1: That's literally how he says it for real. And now, of course Susie feels.
Speaker 3: Terrible, but it's like, wait, what he's like, come on, I was busy, I had stuff to do, and my mother a lie.
Speaker 2: Thought it was like a total lie.
Speaker 1: I really.
Speaker 4: He was just used.
Speaker 2: This was like a line that he uses to get into girls pants, like, oh, feel bad for me. I am just like this like lost.
Speaker 6: Soul when mom died, My mom died and what I'm just saying like that it did, and the way he played it seemed very like, Ah, this didn't really happen, but I think you'll believe it.
Speaker 3: And I guess I think we've read about this Moudon either but I think everything we've read about this movie is this is why I say it's like a and their Stars kind of situation where it's I think one of the underlying themes of this entire film is death, Yes, and that's what it's supposed to be.
Speaker 1: And then they're like, let's also have dolphins.
Speaker 3: So I think it's just everybody's dealing with death, which hey, funny premise for a dcom right, And up.
Speaker 2: Until now, we didn't really hear about the dad, about Vicky's dad, so that was a question mark on my my Like listening in was like, was that going to be something that.
Speaker 3: Like, which I guess is one of the reasons that people that like the book really hated this movie is because I guess the parents had a lot to do in the book.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, which so yeah. But they hug and he admits that he missed her.
Speaker 3: Back in the beach, Rob has thrown a frisbee in the ocean for the dog, but the canine is too old to swim, so not dog's probably going to die soon too, so now Rob has to retrieve it. But then on his way, he has trouble with the strong tide and starts to drown.
Speaker 1: This movie's hysterical.
Speaker 3: He screams for help, but only the dog notices because Zachary is now blabbering on about flying lessons. This guy he wants to take Vicky flying one day, but he says her parents would never let her go with him, but also if she has a dead brother, things would change anyway, And that's when she notices her brother is missing Vicky.
Speaker 2: This is also why the Beach is not a place to send children of that age without like fur real parental or like adult supervision.
Speaker 3: Or a lifeguard or something like that. I mean, it's yes, yeah, there's an undertotal reel. Vicky then rushes into the water but can't find him. However, we see that he's submerged in lifeless just as a dolphin passes is soon to be bloated carcass. The dolphin starts nudging him and chirping, pushing him up for as much needed air. Eventually, Vicky spots her brother, now much closer to the shore and alive. He has no memory of how he was saved, but that's when we see the dolphin.
Speaker 1: Who celebrates and swims away, which Sabrina still thinks is somehow actually a human and related to the family. Later, Vicky and her grandfather uncle Richie.
Speaker 3: Later, Vicky and her grandfather are walking in town, not talking about how her brother almost died but a magical dolphin save them, But instead they run the harbor master, who was also happy to see her grandpa out and about because, as we know and she doesn't, he'll probably be dead soon, so.
Speaker 1: Everybody knows but her.
Speaker 3: Once alone again, Vicky confides in her grandpa her big secret. She knows what dolphins are thinking and all those It sounds like the kind of thing you'd say right before you're taking away in a straight jacket. He believes her, mostly because her grandmother used to have women's intuition, which I guess is one way to look at that.
Speaker 2: Another check mark that this might have been the grandmother that's about to give birth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it might not be the pregnant dolphin grandma may or may not be. Uh yeah, we're so Superhena's still popcorn halfway to her mouth.
Speaker 2: Like I I'm not sure waiting at this point all the job Wow.
Speaker 1: We know.
Speaker 3: He encourages her to consider it a compliment, and now she needs to know why are people in town so cancerned with his well being?
Speaker 1: He cites his general age and gives it no mind.
Speaker 3: Later on, Vicky has lunch with Zachary, who complains about the mixed messages he's been getting from his dad since his mom died, he got kicked out of school, and his dad still bottom of a car and a boat. All the while, Zachary is telling Vicky he missed her and holding her hand, and then Adam appears. VICKI introduces her to love interest to one another, and now we have officially kicked off a love triangle. There's immediate tention when Adam lambas Zachary because his dad uses dangerous drift nets.
Speaker 1: On his boat.
Speaker 3: The Marie Rose, which turns out that's what Zach's dad does, he kills dolphins for a living. But Zachary doesn't even know what a drift net is, so Adam explains that they're illegal and kill dolphins. Zachary doesn't seem too concerned. He's mostly bothered that Vicky has become a quote unquote dolphin hugger, which honestly sounds like a pretty cool thing to do.
Speaker 1: But well, except if you're Serena, then it's scary. But he'll do anything for her, so he promises to look into it.
Speaker 2: I would do it in pools are fine. In the ocean ever, again, dolphins are fine.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: That night, Zachary takes Adam and Vicky over to the Marie Rose. The two guys sneak onto the boat to search for the net. As Zachary grills at him about a situation with Vicky. Then the boat's captain, Captain Scary cranky Pants, who was exactly how I would have cast him, he catches them. Zachary reveals himself, telling his dad's employee that he's just showing his friends around the boat. Adam did find the drift net before they left, but now the captain is extremely suspicious. Zachary drops Vicky off at home and we get a rare dcom kiss and ooh nice, and he tells her to dream about him as he leaves.
Speaker 1: Does this guy have any game? Is it just the money? He's a good looking dude, right, But is he creepy? How is this playing? Oh?
Speaker 2: It kind of both, Like he is definitely not a trustworthy guy, but I did believe that he was, like the hot guy she's stoked is having an interest in her.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's it's the typical bad boy thing.
Speaker 2: It's like, you got a bad, typical guy that he's kissing you, but you are not sure when he jumps in his car if he's going home or to like someone else's house.
Speaker 1: Right, And yet ninety percent of the girls would still pick that guy at that age.
Speaker 2: That was definitely Yes.
Speaker 3: Nice guys do finish last at that age. But then we win in the end, people, we win in the end. So yes, she do, so buck up, buckers, You're gonna be fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Then we are back in the ocean with Vicky now a mermaid being followed closely by dolphins.
Speaker 1: She kisses one just as it turns into atom and now they kiss, and now she's kissed two different guys and a dolphin. Dare I say by dcom standard, she's, you know, kind of getting around a little.
Speaker 2: Bit cally, little scalliwag a little bit little CALLI.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's she's got free will.
Speaker 4: This is all.
Speaker 1: It's all good. Also, have you ever kissed anybody underwater? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And it's so dumb, Like why is it dumb? Well, it's just like, I mean, there's there's that, there's bubble, like it's like not a not a good thing. It's it's real dumb. It's like yeah, no, like it doesn't make any sense too all right. But anyway, I was also going to say this kiss is actually like the third kiss, because I don't think in any of the d coms we've seen do they kiss multiple times. You're right, Zachary. She kisses it was like a cute little moment like how like she's like, oh my gosh, that just happened. And then they like kiss it again.
Speaker 1: Before then she puts his hand on it, on his face, and then she kisses him again. Yes, and then and.
Speaker 2: Then we go inside. We've never really seen them go in for like a double kiss. And then oh my god, we got like within thirty seconds she's kissing another guy.
Speaker 1: Yes, but this was in a dream, for it isn't.
Speaker 2: A dream, but it's still happening on screen.
Speaker 1: Well it started.
Speaker 3: It was originally started with her about to kiss her dolphin grandmother, and then that turns into Adam, that's what it is.
Speaker 1: They're like, when are they gonna make it her grandmother?
Speaker 2: But she gonna come alive. When do we get to see what the grandma really looks like?
Speaker 1: I know? And then she wakes up them from the fantasy.
Speaker 3: Just they cut right before we were finally gonna find out how mermaids actually had sex, right because still don't still have no idea. The next morning, Adam bikes down to harbor patrol to alert them about the Marie Roses drift net. To pacify the concerned activists, the harbor patrolman promises he'll check out the boat when it docks. Back at Grandfather's, Vicky gets some flowers from Zachary, and Susie basically calls her sister a cheap fluozy for dating two guys at the same time, but Grandfather calls it the adventure of life.
Speaker 1: Susie plans on.
Speaker 3: Just dating one guy and calling it a day, and then on cue, Adam arrives with some books to return.
Speaker 1: This guy reads thirty five philosophy books. Yay, he is so.
Speaker 3: Vicky quickly hides the bouquet. Grandpa invites him to stay for dinner, and he takes the one perfectly prepped open seat at the table.
Speaker 1: How coincidental? Also, you assume they made enough food. It's it's a lot to add another person to the meal. I mean you always kind of not always.
Speaker 3: After the meal, while Vicki cleans, that did not always tell you a story?
Speaker 2: Who makes it to the tea?
Speaker 6: Do not tell you?
Speaker 3: Sue was growing up, they had something in Sue's family called FHB, which was family holdback. If somebody random showed up, they all had to take smaller portions so that the new person could could eat food too.
Speaker 1: FH Family hold Back, Thank you very much. Hope that catches up trademark.
Speaker 3: After the meal, while Vicki cleans the dishes, Adam tells the group is dolphin origin story, which includes a magical meeting with the animals. In a weird exchange, Vicky is offended that Adam is such a fact based scientist, arguing that not everything needs to be explained. Things get heated, but they're quickly interrupted by the arrival of Dan, the harbor patrolman, and it seemed like she just wanted to fight.
Speaker 1: He says.
Speaker 3: He searched the Marie Rose, but there was no drift net. Adams convinced the captain hid them. After their surprise visit, they decide they'll need to bust them while using the drift net now. Later that night, grandfather joins Vicky on the balcony to commend her ability to challenge Adam. She calls the aspiring biologists hard to read and knows it would be easier if she was a dolphin.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: They admire the.
Speaker 3: Stars, but Grandpa doesn't look through the telescope anymore because it takes away all the magic. He acknowledges that Susie knows all the scientific facts about the universe, but wishes she could just enjoy the magic itself. He then reads his granddaughter the passage from the Henry Vaughan poem that includes the title of the movie, and she loves it. The next morning, over at Zachary's compound, the dad brings up the recent boat visit he made with Adam. Zachary sells it as innocent, but his dad isn't buying it. He explains the houses, the cars, the private school, that lifestyle is maintained through the business, and if Zachary does anything stupid.
Speaker 1: Everything will go away.
Speaker 3: Back at the research center, Vicki finds doctor Zand and Adam frantically helping Enid through a difficult delivery. They're about to sedate her, but Vicky intervenes. She said Enid doesn't want to be sedated. She wants to be reunited with Basil for the birth. The doctor demands Vicki minder business, but Adam convinces her to let Baselin and the two immediately reconnect.
Speaker 1: And then another first for d coms. We see the birth of a dolphin, which was actually kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah true, another another first, even like we haven't had any births.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, I don't think we're showing a close up like well no, sir, no, but I mean like.
Speaker 2: There's no like, oh, this is your little sister, right, we have an oh.
Speaker 1: No quinch quince?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was five away from the horse, said, wasn't there a horse?
Speaker 1: Berth an horse sense did we cut away from it in horse sense? I can't remember?
Speaker 4: Remember? Oh no, is there a berth in the two girls that take over the farm The Simple Life?
Speaker 2: Oh? That was cow Bells and.
Speaker 4: I think we have a berth in that.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so we got some animal births.
Speaker 3: I want a human brow with the first Disney channel human birth and Disney just owns the baby the second it comes out.
Speaker 1: That's how it would be.
Speaker 4: We still have a descendants left.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're getting from a producer, michaela that this was a lot for a decom, especially with the blood and there was like the splash of blood coming out of.
Speaker 1: The Dolphins's true, we saw birth. It was obviously a real birth. It was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Everyone celebrates, but Adam and the doctor want to know exactly what the hell is going on? Fair question put on the spot. Well, Vicky runs out, but Adam stops her before she can get too far. He knows she can telepathically communicate with the dolphins, which seemed like a very quick conclusion to make, and even though Adam explains how helpful her ability can be, Vicky's not interested in becoming a case study. Meanwhile, Zachary secretly takes photos of the Marie Rose right in the process of using.
Speaker 1: A driftnet score. The next day, Vicky is writing poetry near the lighthouse.
Speaker 3: When Adam finds her, he apologizes for making her feel bad, but Vicky's still mad that all he wants in life is proof and data. He's a scientist going to Harvard, especially because she has no idea how she communicates with dolphins. She doesn't want to be studied like one of her brother's bugs, Like I could just see him putting her in a giant thing of a nail polish, just to keep her all solid. Like she said, some things in the world just don't need an explanation, but uh, talking to animals, let's maybe get an explanation.
Speaker 1: He finally admits he's just jealous.
Speaker 3: He knows everything about dolphins, but he can't actually talk to them, but he wishes he could so he could say goodbye to them at the end of this summer. Vicky loves hearing his emotional side and they make up. Also, there are tons of close ups of Mischa Barton in the scene. Again, her hair is not blowing anywhere.
Speaker 1: But she's stunning, and he's a good looking dude. Too.
Speaker 3: This is a good looking cast. This could be up there for all around best looking cast. You know the gray guy, everybody good looking people. That night, Vicky asked Susie, her little sister, for advice on Adam and Zachary, which doesn't seem like the most reliable opinion, but okay, sure. She says there are great traits in both of them. Adam knows his future while the other is in flux but very exciting. Zachary gets the vote for looks and Adam gets the votes for smart, but he smells like fish and formaldehyde. Without a definite answer, she suggests a pros and cons list. That night, Vicki goes on a fancy dinner date with Zachary, where he reveals he knows they went to the harbor patrolman about his dad, but instead of being mad.
Speaker 1: He's actually proud of them. And then they're joined by a surprise guest. Adam is zach playing chess? Here is he just kind of clueless? I don't know what's going on. He shows them the photos he took, clearly documenting the nuts being used, but Adam says it's not gonna be enough. They need to personally catch them in the act, and Zachary thinks, you know what, that could be arranged.
Speaker 3: Enough of this dolphin saving though, zach wants to dance, which I thought was such weird.
Speaker 2: It's like, glad that we have that covered. Who wants to dance? Anybody ready for some.
Speaker 1: Let's dance?
Speaker 4: Everybody do the dolphins?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was the doll. It was very strange.
Speaker 2: The dolphin look like.
Speaker 3: That's oh god, you realize that's now the social clip, very good, Sabrina damn it.
Speaker 1: Clip. He knows about a night club.
Speaker 3: That is quote unquote totally insane, but Adam doesn't dance because he's a scientist.
Speaker 1: You can be one thing or another, you can't be balanced. Yeah, So he encourages them to go alone. Vicky promises she can teach him, but he isn't interested or is he.
Speaker 3: That night, presumably after dancing all night at the totally insane club and coming down from the mescaline, Vicky is back home writing when she hears something outside.
Speaker 1: It's Adam. He wants to know if the offer to teach him how to dance still stands. Now they're out on the beach next to a bomb fire in a boombox, they're dancing with Vicky leading the way he asked, and when it first comes up, it just so reminded me of what I would look like dancing at that age, Like.
Speaker 2: The No, this was the sweetest.
Speaker 4: It was very sweet.
Speaker 1: It was very sweet. It was I agree undred percent, it was sweet. It looked good. The fire was great. Good see.
Speaker 2: And by the way, this is what ninety eight point five percent of guys from like what middle schools the first time they dance with the girl.
Speaker 1: All the way to like my wedding.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh, I mean like they get a little bit more confidence, like probably like midway halfway you know, halfway through high school. By like college, they're like feeling a little bit more comfortable.
Speaker 3: I would also have to add, I'm sorry to say this that usually by college. I never went, but I imagine when the guys are more confident in dancing in college, it's because they're drunk.
Speaker 2: Yes, so they've got like they're you know, they're a little bit more loose. They're a little bit like, you know, just kind of whatever. But I'm just saying, like this was so exactly how everyone remembers. Yep, there a time like for a while, how it felt dancing with you know, you're like.
Speaker 8: Crush yep, i'd be Valentine, say everybody, we still I still joke with Susan that in the seventh grade there was a girl named Tammy Taylor.
Speaker 3: And it's not the same, not the same as the character from Friday Night Lights, but her name is Tammy Taylor. She would hold you so tight when you danced, and I look at Sue occasionally and as a joke, I'm like.
Speaker 1: I'll never feel that safe again as I did in Tammy.
Speaker 3: Taylor's arms in the seventh grade. And then you know, you'd be dancing to like Stairway to Heaven and it'd be the greatest thing in the world. But then the fast part would start and you didn't know are you're supposed to break apart?
Speaker 1: Do you? What the heck is supposed to go on? But oh, Tammy Taylor, if you're listening, I remember that slow dance. I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: I'm actually just now thinking how excited I am for your birthday party, because that will for sure be the first time I get to see you in action.
Speaker 1: Hopefully there'll be an open bar so it won't matter anyway, Yes.
Speaker 2: I shock everyone and learn like an actual routine.
Speaker 3: I'm working with the entire past of dancing with the stars. Yes, and the Backstreet Boys.
Speaker 4: It's going to be great.
Speaker 1: Yes, So that's going to be a fun party. We already started planning it. Keep the date open.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: Yes, they're dancing. He asked about her poetry, and they talk about her grandfather as she pulls him in close for the very very very slow dancing, and then once again they kiss. So we're used to, you know, begging to see a kissing these movies.
Speaker 1: Now I'm over it. She's kiss ninety three people. Now it's time to move on people.
Speaker 3: No, it's very sweet. It's a nice scene. It's very real, and they're both great in the scene. They eventually leave, ignoring the massive bonfire they left behind and creating an obvious fire hazard. Maybe that could kill dolphins, doesn't seem like Dolphin Boy cares about that. On their walk home, Adam asks for help with the dolphins tomorrow. She agrees, and they get okay, get ready for this.
Speaker 1: You know what they do? They kiss again, and once inside the house, she appears to be spitting.
Speaker 3: She's like, WHOA, I bet you I've never gotten that response from a girl doesn't ever walk inside.
Speaker 1: She's probably like, ohhoa as much. Oh god, I can still taste him?
Speaker 6: Oh god, man?
Speaker 2: Oh flashbacks, yuck, flashbacks.
Speaker 1: To what Yeah, yeah, there were some kisses where you're like, oh, really, do you remember bad kisses? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah. Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: So the next morning, at the biology center with Adam, they let Enid Basil and their new child who I'm gonna call Jeffrey Rome free. Adam asks Vicki to call for the dolphins, but she claims she can't. He encourages her to try anyway, because, don't forget people, she can talk to dolphins, which seems to not be in this movie much. If she can receive messages, he thinks she can also send them, so he takes a deep breath, closes her eyes, and focuses, but after a few seconds nothing happens. Instead, they discuss the evolution of dolphins and why would they ever leave the land for the sea and forfeit their hands, which, again, if you ask me, sounds like a conversation I would have had in high.
Speaker 1: School while stoned. Hey, man, like do you think dolphins had hands? And then like they had to like get rid of their hands to go swim again. Whoa, and then guess who arrives? It's Enid Basil and young baby Jeffrey.
Speaker 3: Adam encourages Vicky to keep going, and then seconds later, the dolphins simultaneously perform once again absolutely terrible cgi flips, then grab they're human friends to playfully drag them across the ocean.
Speaker 1: Seemingly.
Speaker 3: Never satisfied, Adam now wants her to ask the dolphins a question, why did they return to the sea. Vicky obliges, but before she can get an answer, she's violently dragged underwater. Her body is now lifeless, eyes closed. She's being circled by the now chirping dolphins, while Adam screams to find her. Time is running out. Finally, dolphins nudge your back above the water to get air, and the screen goes white with.
Speaker 1: A visible ring of light, A ring of light. Did you get it? Yeah? Got it? Okay, because it's the it's a ring of light.
Speaker 2: I know. And this is when I was like.
Speaker 1: A dolphin gonna tell us this. It's her grandmother.
Speaker 2: I'm over it. I'm over it. I'm over the ring of light.
Speaker 1: It's just it's very it's.
Speaker 3: Again it's a it's a very very slow paced decoc it is. Yes, it felt a lot longer than idiot. You get Descendants movies at are one hundred and nine minutes and you're like, I could have watched another twenty minutes. This one was eighty eight minutes, and it's like this one it was dragging.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 2: It really really started to and especially when it was like like this scene specifically too, like it was supposed to be like a heightened scene, but it was like, how come Adam out of nowhere just like doesn't know how to swim? Why how come you just like completely forget how to swim, Like you're that you're in the water, you're acting like you see her now going and he's like Vicky, Vicky, and it's like, look in the water, you idiot, she's obviously down there, and I'm not why you just lean down and grab her hand and pull her back up, like, oh my god, get like annoying.
Speaker 1: It's so true. Yeah if she dies now, bro, it's on you. It's on you. Okay, Yeah, it's so great. Uh.
Speaker 3: Then we hear Adam's voice asking if she's all right, and saying you should probably learn how to swim. When she awakens, she doesn't remember anything, but knows she couldn't understand Enid and Basil's answer to the question. She now knows dolphins are all connected and they have no secrets. Again serious stoner conversation. Amen, Amen, man, you know that dolphins don't have any secrets.
Speaker 2: Also, Dazzle just now hit me. It sounds like you're putting the wrong and fossis on the wrong side.
Speaker 1: Bazzle is at Basil, is it Basil? I'm watching soon.
Speaker 3: I am watching a lot of BritBox lately. So we found ourselves saying things British. I said patriotic the other day.
Speaker 1: Yes, so this is no, it's not a book. And so Vicky bike's home only sees Zachary waiting for her, claiming it's time to catch the bad guy, which sounds like a euphemism.
Speaker 3: They take a speedboat to the Marie Rose in hopes of seeing them drop a net. Vicky asked if Adam should join them, and he basically says, I didn't invite that dork here.
Speaker 1: I only invited him to dinner to see my competition.
Speaker 3: But she admits she likes Adam, so Zach starts playing hater his rival a dull old man. Then he spots a boat and decides to speed toward it to play chicken.
Speaker 1: He really is the opposite adult.
Speaker 3: They're getting closer and closer to the other boat, and his crew is begging him to slow down, but Zack's not flinching, and Vicky is terrified. At the last possible second, Zack swerves, barely avoiding a collision. Vicky demands he take her back right now. First of all, how did he know which direction the boat was going to turn? They both could have swerved the same direction. Like yikes, not okay, I would.
Speaker 2: Have been pissed. Oh I would never ever have talked about his CANOOSI again.
Speaker 1: Playing with fire Bro. But he's so dreamy, sin No, not that dreamy.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: He tries to call it fun, but she isn't having it. Back on land, he admits he was just trying to impress her and apologizes he likes her.
Speaker 1: Her response to that is, well, then start liking yourself. Good line.
Speaker 3: That night, it's pouring and Vicky is riding again. She hears a loud thump downstairs and runs to find her grandfather he's fallen out of bed and can't get up.
Speaker 1: He's just sort of.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 1: I'm just the guy fallen and I can't get up.
Speaker 3: He's desorry. I did thinking Vicky is his deceased wife. He's stammering and not acting like himself, and I'm at this point, Sabrina still thinks this man is a chance.
Speaker 1: He asks for his meds, so Vicky gives him pain pills.
Speaker 3: She has no idea why he's taking them now clearly more and ConTroll He glances out the window to admire the storm, but Vicky is really shaken up.
Speaker 1: She asked her grandfather to look her in the eye and tell her the truth. Is he all right? He claims superb health, but a tear falls down her cheek. She wants the truth. He says fine.
Speaker 3: He admits he's not a young man anymore, but he's enjoying every minute of what's left. Then he says to her he has leukemia. Choked up, Vicky asked if he's sure, which was not a question.
Speaker 1: I was expecting. It was kind of strange.
Speaker 3: He says he's short and planning on telling her parents when they arrive. She's now scared. She doesn't want anything to happen to the one person who understands her. He promises he won't be the last, especially because of her poetry. He says death is as natural as a storm outside, and he has no fear in God's plans. He asks her to read one of her poems for comfort while sobbing. She does, than they embrace again. Weird tone for a dcom, very sweet scene between two the actors, well written, understand about the whole. It's trying to get kids to understand death a little. It's just it's heavy handed.
Speaker 1: For a deal.
Speaker 2: It is okay, and I'm telling you right now this is where I'm starting to get pissed.
Speaker 1: I'm like, this is.
Speaker 2: Not what I come to the channel for. Okay, not what I come to the channel.
Speaker 4: Four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, somebody throw a pie at this point, where's the food fight?
Speaker 2: I need sinkerbilts immediately for duty and throw some glitter on this guy.
Speaker 1: Ye, let's not die on us.
Speaker 2: This is getting just a little too much for me.
Speaker 1: It is. It is a heavy decom. It's just it's it feels like it's grandparents.
Speaker 2: I can't handle grandparents.
Speaker 1: I just a Nicholas Sparks thing. It is just very heavy. The next morning, Vicki awakens, still holding her book of poems.
Speaker 3: She calls out for her grandfather, fearing what she'll find, but surprise, he's alive and well making eggs.
Speaker 1: They hug again, and maybe he's immortal. Out at sea, the Marie Rose is getting their net ready for it. Back out and see the Marie Rose. Let's let's kill some dolphins is getting it ready for a day at work.
Speaker 3: And lo and behold Enid, Basil and Jeffrey swim right up to the horrible net. On the beach, Susie and Rob play soccer as Adam and Vicki lounge under an umbrella. He's been trying to write her a poem, but he's thrown out every attempt. But the flirting comes to an abrupt stop when she senses something wrong in the water. And this is when I remembered, Oh, that's right, she can talk to dolphins. I genuinely forgot at this point. I guess it's not really an important part of the movie. She rushes to the ocean, closes her eyes, and realizes that Enid is trapped in the net. Struggling, Vicky announces her vision and Adam demands they call the harbormaster, but since she doesn't have any proof, she'll sound crazy. But she knows someone she can call, Zachary. He's with his dad helping with some business meetings on their yacht. She alerts him of the news and they immediately meet on the dive. Despite some tension between him and Adam, Zachary is ready to help. Vicky leads him to the water where Basil. There you go, where Basil is magically waiting, ready to lead the way. Zach's dad screams at him from the yacht get back on board and help. He looks at his dad, dead in the eyes and says, not today, dad, And we go.
Speaker 1: To a commercial. Yes, we go to a commercial literally out of nowhere. There's no commercial there, but they clearly just for this one part in the movie set up a yes. When we return the treo on the speedboat following Basil, who again is crazy cgi rendering or a model sized practical effect. I couldn't tell, but I know it can't be an actual dolphin. They eventually find Enid, who is frantically chirping, stuck with her baby Jeffrey, swimming outside the net Zachary spots the Marie Rose a mile away, and Adam reveals that if they start pulling in the net, Enid will die, so Vicky asks for Zachary's cell phone to alert the harbormaster. She has no other option, so she calls her grandfather for a favor, and just then the captain of the Marie Rose calls for the net. Since the net is miles long, they only have a few minutes tops before tragedy strikes and Enid is going to die.
Speaker 3: Vicky jumps into the water now in a race against the boat crew. Meanwhile, the harbor master is jumping into a speedboat to help. Vicky's grandfather asked the harbor master if he can go instead of just calling to save time, he asks if he can ride shotgun on the boat. Back at sea, Vicky is panicking while trying to free en It. The net is just too tangled. Adam grabs a toolbox and finds what he's looking for. They look like bolt cutters, which is strange how you don't have a knife on a boat. You should always have a knife on a boat. He jumps into the water to cut her loose, while Vicki telepathically encourages a dolphin to hold on again, the telepathy part always seems kind of secondary. And then the marine morose captain notices Zachary and his rescue attempt, but instead of stopping, he continues rolling in the net. Adam and Vicky is slowly progressing, but time is running out. With only seconds left, they finally free en It of the trap and she swims off with her family. The kids can only laugh until oh, Adams pulled underwater. He's now stuck in the net and being dragged by the ship Vicky pull Zachary pulls Vicki back into the speedboat, but not before Adam's leg is horribly ripped off, blood drips into the ocean, and he's surrounded by sharks.
Speaker 1: How that happens?
Speaker 2: Big, It's nightmare?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's nightmare of Sabrina. Happens. She's trying to This is Sabrina's nightmare. She's trying to save a dolphin from a thing. She gets caught in a net. Her leg is ripped off, and she's ripped apart by sharks. That's a very typical dream that most people have.
Speaker 3: Oh god, oh my yeah, zach pulls Vicki back into the speedboat takes off, trying to catch up to Adam, who's now underwater and lifeless, but first to the scene to help the Dolphin family. They nudge at him awake and immediately spots a bright ring of light and the return of a mermaid, Vicki, who finally frees him from the net. He pushes himself above the water to safety, and now the harbor master, flanked by Grandpa, spots the Marie Rose with its net in action. They caught them red handed. The boat captain knows that jig is up. Vicky and Grandpa wave to each other, trading pride in their actions. When they returned to the doc, Adam is deep in thought. Vicky knows the dolphin spoke to him too. He says it was just for a second. They told him to hold on, he had more to do. As the new couple holds hands, Zachary notices the extreame and he.
Speaker 1: Just looks both.
Speaker 3: Eventually, Grandfather brings Vicky home, where her brother and sister are related to see she's okay. As she tells him the story, Grandfather walks to his room. He needs a nap, and if you notice when he opens the door, he's met by a bright light. The next thing we see is Vicky writing in her journal that night. She writes, everything seems to have worked out perfectly, almost as if by some grand design. And the best part is there's no way Grandpa's going to die tonight, which is not something you write your journal unless you want to all the fall apart. Now done writing, Vicky makes her way to her grandfather's room and is greeted by his moaning. He calls her over to the bed and says it's his time. She blames herself for making him go out into the water, but he's so thankful. It was one of the greatest days of his life.
Speaker 1: You're shocked by this point this is happening, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, yeah, yes, a little bit like in the sense of I just thought I thought the movie would end at his funeral, not to go through this.
Speaker 1: No, they movie where they where they're milking every dramatic moment scene coming.
Speaker 3: Of course they did. He's a wonderful actor, so you might as well have the scene because he's very sure, so you might as well.
Speaker 2: I can't handle it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he says.
Speaker 3: It was one of the greatest days of his life. He tells her she has a wonderful gift, her special voice. He needs her to share it, and she promises she will. Then he dies very true.
Speaker 1: Vicky kisses his hand and sobs.
Speaker 3: The camera pulls out from the house and focuses on the stars with two shining very bright. The next morning, Vicky comes downstairs and notices something new. And this is all I thought, was like, Okay, so all these kids are in the house with a dead body for overnight, right, okay. And he also is like, Vicky, come here, I need to talk to you.
Speaker 1: I'm dying. Your brother and sister.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about that.
Speaker 1: I just need you to know, right. So yeah, I was like, wow, that's not good. Yes.
Speaker 3: The next morning, Vicky comes downstairs and notices something new on her grandfather's desk. It's an empty notebook titled The Collected Poems of Victoria Austin Volume two. The harbor master enters to announce the fairy has arrive. Their parents should be pulling in any minute. Vicki notices her little brother Rob morning on the patio. She joins him, and he asks, follow me here if she thinks there might be a planet where no one has eyes, and if there is, could they all get along? She guesses they compensate with their hearing, smell, and touch, but Rob worries they won't know what anything looks like. So when the people on that planet with no eyes die, they'll be sent to a planet where there are eyes, and as a result, maybe they'll get something new too, something important. Vicky rubs his head and tells him to lay off the acid.
Speaker 2: No, she doesn't, She goes, I think you're right.
Speaker 1: I think you're right. It's a that crazy.
Speaker 2: I had to rewatch it because I was like, did I miss? Did I miss?
Speaker 4: Nope? I watched it three times. I've watched a lot of D coms. Obviously, I don't understand the metaphor Am I missing?
Speaker 2: I didn't either. I'm like, Sabrita, you're just dense. It's cool. Just move on, will We'll explain.
Speaker 4: I mean, the Grandfather's not missing it, He's not He's not coming back to Earth.
Speaker 2: No, and there was there was no top. We didn't even get any real scenes with this character and the grandfather. No, like, there was no nothing to understand at all. It Wait, but why the hell this kid? Except for he is very traumatized. We need to immediately seek help for this kid because he is talking crazy. What are you talking about? No eyes?
Speaker 1: This was off, But he's high off bugs, that's what it is. He's he's crushing and smoking stick bugs or something. Because it was I did. I watched it several times myself, and I didn't. I don't. I don't get what they're trying to do. I didn't get what they were going for. So yeah, very strange.
Speaker 2: And I also was checking. I was like, God, this movie is God, do it, but we've got to be in one hundred and forty six minutes right now.
Speaker 1: Yep, I agreed.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Then a taxi pulls up.
Speaker 3: It's their parents, and the entire family embrace at the front door, and now the entire family with the harbor master waiting for the fairy. Adam shows up to return her first volume of poems and thank her for letting him read it.
Speaker 1: She also has talked to her mom and they agreed.
Speaker 3: She won't be going to that new rich kids school after all, and she's gonna submit her work to a lit magazine.
Speaker 1: Very nice. He tells her she'll make a great artist, and with tears in her eyes. Vicky tells him he'll be a great scientist. He reminds her that her grandfather always said that art and science function is one. She kisses him on the cheek To board the Fairy, He promises to write and she says she will too. And with that, the family, now with Grandpa's cat and dog in tow, return home. Zach never said goodbye to that guy?
Speaker 2: Rewound it again.
Speaker 1: Yep, what happened with Zach? Nothing?
Speaker 2: Kick rocks, buddy, Thanks for the boat.
Speaker 1: There you go exactly. Ah, he's rich. She'll be fine anyway. So who gets good? Thanks buddy, Yeah, thanks for the boat, chief. I hooked up with Adam in the back while you were driving home.
Speaker 2: Yep, sorry about that.
Speaker 3: That was ry not my best yikes. As the Fairy travels across the ocean, Vicky hears the words of the Henry Vaughan poem, now spoken by her grandfather. It mentions the great ring of endless light again, and we hear it. Vicky spot's the dolphin family swimming and jumping alongside the boat, because remember she can talk to dolphins. In case you forgot, we see the Ring of bright light one last time, and that's our movie.
Speaker 1: Real reviews. Can we do some real reviews? Sabrina, you got the five star this week? What do you do?
Speaker 2: I do another long one? Okay at the five star from Chrissy zero nine to eight. Yay, Dolphins.
Speaker 1: Five stars? That is it. I am the one star and mine is from Vince Kadenya Hope. I'm saying that right. It's worth noting here this movie has a lot of negative reviews, mostly from people who love the book and think the dcom did it no favors. So let's you know, the gist of ninety percent of the hate is that. But here we go to start out.
Speaker 3: It's an amazing technical achievement in the world of film. It's the Raging Bowl for two thousand and two. I've been waiting to see films like Gangs of New York and The Two Towers, but those will look like b movies compared to this film. From start to finish, we are grace with amazing cinematography done by Rodney Charters, photographer of Psycho for The New Beginning. The music is as good Ineo Morricone's score for Days of Heaven. The acting in this movie is some of the best I've ever seen reminiscent of Cassavetti's faces. If you haven't seen this film yet, do yourself a favor and check it out. This is a film that we studied in film schools for twenty years.
Speaker 1: One star. I think he was being sarcastic, yes is my guess. Yeah, very long, so long, joyously ironic review.
Speaker 2: You hated the movie, Vince, Did.
Speaker 1: You have a lot of time out a lot to talk about it?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, eighty eight minutes. That felt like two hundred and forty minutes to do it.
Speaker 3: Here's our Sabrina's favorite part, and as you can tell, producer Jensen's here.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna live.
Speaker 3: This feature presentation is called does it have a Dolphin? Which again could be a weird euphemism.
Speaker 1: A ring of endless Light may be a typical romance, but it does include a bit of an afterthought story point that the main character can talk to dolphins. We will get names of movies and we have to decide if at any point of its run time there's a dolphin scene on screen. For example, Free Willie does include a dolphin, But that's an easy one, three out of five wins. So here's our first.
Speaker 4: One, I'm really setting myself up here for someone to email it and say that a dolphin passes in a scene.
Speaker 2: But I I didn't.
Speaker 4: I did a lot of research. I'm not saying I'm one hundred percent confident. I'm saying I'm like ninety two percent.
Speaker 1: Okay. Number One, Sharktail, I've never seen.
Speaker 2: I don't I've never seen it. Is it too obvious for Jensen to put shark tail and not have a dolphin?
Speaker 1: No, I think there's a dolphin in Sharktayale. That's my guest.
Speaker 2: I would think so too.
Speaker 1: It's animated, so I'm gonna say yes, yes in Sharktaiale.
Speaker 4: Don't email me there's no there's no dolphins. Ah, God, all right.
Speaker 3: Number two Spahire, I'm kidding. It's Sphere, of course, the based on the Michael Crichton novel where they are under the water.
Speaker 2: Oh they're underwater.
Speaker 1: See they're very deep.
Speaker 3: But at the end they come up to the surface, and I'm wondering, when they come up to the surface, there's a dolphin. I'm gonna say, yes, there is a dolphin Sphere.
Speaker 1: That's my guess.
Speaker 4: I'll go with no. Oh, yeah, there's a dolphins sphere.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, one for me.
Speaker 3: Number three Tomorrow Never Dies, great movie, James Bond, Pierce Brasman.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of it takes place in the water. Yes, there's a dolphins.
Speaker 4: There is a dolphin in that, James Bond.
Speaker 1: Yes. Number four part of the Caban. Uh do you think do you remember when in parts of the Caribbean? Oh wait, I think no, that was Orlando Bloom. No, yeah, no it was a dolphin. Orlando Bloom.
Speaker 4: She just got it.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: No, No, there's no dolphin in parts of the Caribbean.
Speaker 4: That wasn't Orlando Bloom. That was a dolphins.
Speaker 1: Ah damn what all right? So Sabrina has officially lost and I need one to win.
Speaker 2: But I do know that there's dolphins in Titanic.
Speaker 1: There are in Titanic. That's our last one is Titanick. I think it's during the scene.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's right, King of the World, that they're at the front of the boat. Yes, one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Yes, there is absolutely no dolphin.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is at the front of the boat, out of the boat.
Speaker 4: Absolutely a bear Stein bears thing for you. They're there. Titanic didn't have dolphins, and it they bury.
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, I think I think Sabrina is right. I think there's a scene in Titanic where they're at the front of the boat.
Speaker 4: There is an animated movie of the Titanic called The Legend of Titanic that does have dolphins in it, But we know that's not what I'm referencing. I just googled it.
Speaker 2: There is, I'll send it in the chat.
Speaker 4: Yes, I had one wrong.
Speaker 2: Knowing we get two.
Speaker 3: Dolphins appear in a scene often believed to be CGI, swimming alongside the bow of the ship as it departs Damn. Though they are unlikely in the cold, deep North Atlantic where the real ship sank.
Speaker 1: They're nice that That's.
Speaker 4: Why I pushed towards the animated to look. But I will say I have made a mistake once before.
Speaker 1: We know that.
Speaker 4: When I did it in the three hundred episodes we've done, basically, I almost sensed I was going to be wrong on mony.
Speaker 2: So that's the only one, tough one, the only ones I did. They all all of these movies had had.
Speaker 1: No only first one except shark Tail.
Speaker 2: Except for shark Tail.
Speaker 4: Okay, God, which again could be could look just giant.
Speaker 1: Yes there is. I knew it. I knew there were dolphins. Er. Yeah, it's in DiCaprio's contract. Any time it's in a movie, there needs to be dolphins. Everybody knows that.
Speaker 4: I mean, but the dolphin has to be under twenty seven years old.
Speaker 1: That dolphins too old. We gotta fire that dolphins out of here.
Speaker 2: It got crossty get it out of air?
Speaker 1: Can we does?
Speaker 2: Of course, there's a couple that actually, like I, you know, I have all my notes and I kind of put stars by things, and my uh, five star review was yay dolphins by Sabrina. Sabrina sees is yay Mermaid.
Speaker 1: All right, so you're the one writing mine.
Speaker 2: Actually that I that Jensen found for now and.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna call you Chrissy zero nine eight.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, okay. One of the things that struck me. And of course, you know, this is a different tone. But we'd never really seen like a sick character so much that they're like popping pills, like I have we seen somebody who's actually like really sick in the movies?
Speaker 1: No, because it's a d com, I know, So this was the point.
Speaker 2: These pills come out like very early on, Like we know that Grandpa six so early on?
Speaker 3: Is the second is the sequel to horse sense? Them just popping pills the whole time?
Speaker 2: Is that it might be we haven't watched that, right, Yeah?
Speaker 1: Jumping ship is that what that may be? Even maybe the ship they're jumping is filled with oxygon life or fetnyl.
Speaker 2: They're jumping his life, they're jumping out a nice nice Yikes. Again, the kids, I wish that I had a chance ask like, what is the age level these kids are supposed to be? Because it's very unclear?
Speaker 1: Can I make a guess? Can I make a guess?
Speaker 2: I think you should.
Speaker 3: I think that the boy is supposed to be about nine or ten. I think the middle character is supposed to be about eleven or twelve. Maybe the admission to em right, but you can get in if you're super smart.
Speaker 1: You can get into MIT when you're fourteen or fifteen, Okay, okay, I would I think the oldest sister's supposed to be about seventeen, sixteen or seventeen. That would be my guest for the agent. I could be wrong, but that would be my guest for the ages. So you never see her drive, but then again, you never see Ryan Merriman's character drive either, and it could just be that they're on an island. Yes, okay, yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 4: You never know.
Speaker 2: One thing that we didn't watch when she's having her dream of kissing the boys and she wakes up and she just pops out of bed her lights on.
Speaker 1: It's like, what till three she was sleeping it off?
Speaker 2: No her lights? It's dark at night. Oh and she has her light on. That always drives me crazy in movies. Like, I get they have to have light to see the actor, but like I hate when.
Speaker 1: They do that now just to play Devil's advocate. She's always up late reading and writing. Maybe she fell asleep so she's got the light on.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 1: I'm just trying to justify it.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay. We went past a very heated argument that I thought was so funny, and it made me feel like Adam is on the same level as Derinda seems to always be in thek since we watched that recently. She their their argument was when he's at dinner and she just can't understand why he can't think, you know of like again like the Mermaid situation, how come he can't just understand that, like it's not all about numbers and blah blah blah. And then when the officer comes in and Adam's like, oh, and he literally is like, you're not going to do anything. It's like he almost was like you're not even gonna challenge them to a dance contest, like you're just gonna let true.
Speaker 1: Oh he seems like she just wanted to fight.
Speaker 2: Yes, he played that character just like like I mean, he was a hot tomaly just just it.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 2: And then this happened and I I rewound it just four or five times, and I'm not even sure what he's actually supposed to say, but he says, it's it's literally one of the times where again you think he's going to grand grandfather is going to the room that he possibly might he's every time he left the room work, You're like, oh hell.
Speaker 1: Here it is pretty sure. It was like is he dead yet?
Speaker 4: It happened?
Speaker 1: Oh God, here we go.
Speaker 2: And then you're like, okay, not yet. But he says, all right, it's time I got to take these old and what I hear and I rowound it four times, I got to take these old balls to bed.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing.
Speaker 2: It says, all right, I gotta take these old balls to bed.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's what.
Speaker 2: And once word says take these old balls to bed, I don't even know.
Speaker 1: Phones old bones. I was giant.
Speaker 2: It was like I can't rewinding it, and like turning up the volume on my TV, brought my phone out, tried to listen to my phone. I'm like, no, he's saying old balls and nobody cares.
Speaker 1: Do you ever put on the captions? It would have told you what it was.
Speaker 2: Oh that I should have done that. No, I was just listening to my Yeah, and it wasn't necessarily the greatest movie we've watched, but let's find out fun to literally go through it. I love doing this because you find so much humor and you find like the good moments too. Of course, of course, watching all of us see.
Speaker 3: What we think about these movies, and we are coming to portion where we rate our film.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do, Yeah, let's do one to ten and then we'll make ten the highest. Okay, is what we're gonna do. And our options for this week. One out of ten Merriman Merman, one out of ten. Old people looking out at the ocean because they're dying.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: One of a ten dolphin whispers, one ten dolphin huggers, one at attend dolphin berths, one out of ten underwater dolphin kisses, insane nightclubs, stone high school conversations, planets with no eyes, and I'm gonna add old balls to bed?
Speaker 2: Can we do old balls? All right?
Speaker 1: I think I think it's my turn to go first this time. All right, Okay, I still don't know what I think about this movie. It made me either love Australia or hate it, love dolphins or hate them, love love itself or hate it. I don't know. It's just this. This to me was there's very This seemed like more like a Wonderful World of Disney after school special than it did a dcom. Yeah, like the it was very much again about death, and it's more about her which boy is she gonna pick? And it was literally like.
Speaker 3: Oh and oh yeah, she also speaks to dolphins, So it was the tone was not very d calm for me. I also frankly didn't think it looked particularly good at times. I mean again, it looked you have this backdrop, but you've got that bad cgi And but that.
Speaker 1: Being said, the cast is great, you know, a very good cast all the way around. I understand what they were doing, and maybe there's maybe it's my fault, and there's there should be room in a dcom in the dcom world for one of these Nicholas Sparks kind of movies, which is this is what this was.
Speaker 3: This was the fault and the stars are one of these kind of things, which again are not decomming.
Speaker 1: So I'm going straight up down the middle. This is gonna be five old man balls. Oh no, because I don't think it's great. I don't think it's good. I don't think it's bad, and frankly I think I need to watch it again. I truly I could be giving this an incredibly harsh score. I could be giving this an incredibly generous score. I really do not know with this movie. The things I do know great cast, Yes, felt very long, even though it wasn't right at times, was.
Speaker 3: Dragging and boring, bad CGI, good messaging m h so, and there were some gems in there with like you know, the old the Grandfather throwing out some really great pearls of wisdom.
Speaker 1: So I truly I am stumped with this movie. I truly do not know.
Speaker 3: I am taking the middle route again. Everybody who says to me, you scored this way too low, You're probably right. Everybody says to me, you scored this way too high, You're probably right.
Speaker 1: I just don't know with this movie. So I am gonna grab five old man balls and hold on to those whole balls. Five old balls to bed, and I'm gonna caress them gently. How about you, Sabrina, what do you got? Oh man?
Speaker 2: Okay? So I am on that same sentiment because, like you said at the very beginning of the episode, this kind of storyline and this tone gears more towards, you know, like the teenage girl. So I can absolutely see why teenagers during this time this movie came out probably loved this movie. They probably appreciated having more of that you know love and that tone of like, you know, having to go through something this epic, things like that. So part of me was geared towards that because I do love kind of tapping into the nostalgia aspect of being that age. And how would this movie have hit me since this is my first time seeing it? Sure, how would I have seen it through my eyes as like a thirteen year old. But there were moments that felt really slow to me. And again, and I've said it three or four times now, I don't come to the Disney Channel you saying it was like a wonderful World of Disney movie or an AVC movie. I would have a different expectation. So for me, with the Disney Channel dcom idea, it's a little too sad. I probably wouldn't have gotten there had we skipped to just a funeral. But actually having to watch this episode was like, oh, I was crying. I wasn't ready for a cry. I mean, We're talking about mermaids and dolphins and now I've got to cry.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: So it just bun me a little bit too too much in the wrong direction. So I'm giving it a lower score than I normally do. Although again, the cast was so good. I was excited to see all of the scarlet Misha Ryan, I mean, all of these great great actors you know when they were younger, now loving them as older actors. It's just great. Anyway, this is a six point five old balls to bed for me.
Speaker 1: Six point five of them. Six point five God, that's five. That's three and a half dudes. Wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, truly, I just you know, yeah, I wanted to I think the dragging of me into that, but that's not the kind of movie I'm wanting to watch on the channel. There are other people that would be stoked to see this kind of tone, you know, So we'll see. I get it, all right, let us know in the comments, guys, Yeah, what did you think?
Speaker 1: Thank you everybody for joining us on this episode of Magical rewind. We still don't know exactly what we saw. We didn't hate it, we didn't like it.
Speaker 3: We still don't know exactly what we saw. So tell us everybody what you thought of this movie. Why was the best or worst movie you've ever seen? And be sure to check out our Park Copper episode. We're going to be talking to, Yes, the one and only Scarlett Palmers, who played Susie Austin in Ring of Endless Light.
Speaker 1: It was such a great conversation. She was so nice to join us here. Listening to a little bit of a clip of.
Speaker 5: That, I was definitely really excited. One of the reasons I was most excited to work on Ring of Endless Light was because we filmed it in Australia. Yeah, and we were going to be there for about a month, so I was just like, whoa this is? This is I mean, how many times do you get to go to Australia anyway?
Speaker 1: You know? Yeah? Right, she was great.
Speaker 3: It was a totally fun conversation. So make sure you check that out because it's definitely worth it and.
Speaker 1: Join us as we continue our journey through the world of the dcom. I'm gonna be totally honest with you, We're not entirely sure what we're doing next. We will announce it on our Instagram because we're still in the process right now of picking exactly what film is going to be next, so you will know just a little bit after we do. Chris, frankly, we're not sure yet, but go back and check out all of our old stuff.
Speaker 3: All you have to do is search for Magical Rewind wherever you get your podcasts and subscribe and then we're all on perfect sync. And for any more information you could possibly want, you can follow us at.
Speaker 1: Magical Rewind Pod on the Instagram machine. See there, I did it right now, and just whatever you do as you're leaving, try not to think of old man balls. Thanks everybody.
Speaker 2: Bye m