Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles. Hold ahead, he got jacked.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Red Ray presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Harry's Gonna score touchdown. Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker Like a torpedo.
Speaker 4: He came flying into the back del.
Speaker 2: The rage is brought to you by santan Ford in Gilbert. Are you santan Ford State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm. Hand by Arizona Cardinals Podcasts. Visit Hazycardinals dot com, Slash podcasts.
Speaker 4: The Red Seeds Rising Up, timperturizing vision, flurring Rage, Take you.
Speaker 5: Ober, Here's Paul Calvic Abready, I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you abready.
Speaker 1: And Ron Wilf Sleep.
Speaker 4: It doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 1: Leash the fjord.
Speaker 5: The players refer to it as heavy air. We're talking about record Minnesota heat ninety eight degrees, an all time record for the date, combined with about a sixty percent due point. Basically, take Arizona heat combining with Florida humidity, and that's what you have during the joint practices. But that's not the only reason the air is heavy here in Minnesota, the weight of expectations unfulfilled and the realization that with new decision makers there are truly no allegiances. It is the big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert. We are santan Ford, Paul calvic Ron Wolfley, soon to be joined by tight End Jeff Swain looking forward to that. But wolf we have news times too on this fateful Thursday for a couple members of the twoenty twenty draft class.
Speaker 1: You know, Paul, you are no allegiances. You've been all over this from the very beginning of training talking about that no allegiances right now, and I think you're right on that. In regard to this new culture that is being established here for the Arizona Cardinals. In this new culture, I call it PADS, Polly, you know that physicality and accountability and discipline and being smart. I think PADS is the culture. This is my own new culture that I'm observing the Arizona Cardinals, right And they're pulling every player through that prism of being accountable, being disciplined, being physical. And if you don't fit that culture schematically or culturally, you're going to have a hard time here, and I think we're seeing that right now.
Speaker 5: The word fit most definitely applies to Isaiah Simmons in more than one way, especially when it comes to this scheme. Where did he fit? What position is he best at? In the NFL?
Speaker 1: An elite?
Speaker 5: At elite, the measurables are off the chart. There was a reason to he was the eighth pick overall in twenty twenty, but where would he play? Where do you best utilize his skill set? There's a reason that his fifth year option was not picked up. Earlier this offseason and earlier today he was traded to the New York Giants for a seventh round pick. And you talk about being accountable. Mania Austin Fort, the New GM was right there meeting the media and he was asked in particular if the Isaiah Simmons trade was performance related.
Speaker 6: Those are all these considerations that come into play. And you know, we've had a month of training camp now in the two games, and you know, hey, there's everybody in our team. There could have been better performances for everybody. There could have been you know, some guys did some good things, some guys do some bad things. So you know, really it just came down to the opportunity, you know, and where we were at with the team, we thought it was.
Speaker 1: The right move.
Speaker 5: He went on to say to the media, Manti Austin Fort quote, we always tell the team that it doesn't matter how you got here, it's about what you do for the team now. And then, when he was asked about whether this was partially intended to send a message, you said, no, that wasn't part of it. But Wolf, you spent ten years in a locker room. It definitely sends a message, does it not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whether or not he meant to do it, it really doesn't matter. I'll guarantee you right now. It sent a message inside of that locker room, understanding that this was the number eight player overall, number eight player overall just a few years ago. So once again, it does send a message to that locker room. And again, mantiasin Fort, I'm sure didn't mean to send a message to the locker room, but everybody inside that locker room understands that. Listen, you better play with intent, you better play with physicality, and you better be accountable. You better be all of those things. And if you're not, you're not gonna be brought in here. You gonna You're not gonna go out and bring some college kid into your organization that doesn't have those quot You're not gonna do it. This is the culture that is being established here and dogma is what is at the core of it. Belief and you can see that with Jag and Mani in the team they're building.
Speaker 5: When you talk about building a team. We're gonna get into these trades in depth coming up here on the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert Effect. It will take us a moment just to tabulate all the draft picks the Cardinals have in the twenty twenty four draft. It's stunning at this point because you know what, later in the day, they took Josh Jones, a seventh round pick, traded him to the Houston Texas, and returned for a fifth round pick, yet another member of the twenty twenty draft class. And as I mentioned, we'll get into all that in depth a little bit later. But here we are in Minnesota, two joint practices. Let's just say today was better than yesterday. Let's just say, speaking of accountability, the players heard about yesterday and now the coaches wanted a better effort as a follow up and Greg Dorche he was asked about that today.
Speaker 7: Problem coaches got on our ass and we came out and re responded, and that's what good teams do, and we have to just build off of his practice and try to do it again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he wasn't the only one, Zavi and Collins told the media afterwards. He said, quote, we were challenged yesterday. We kind of came out let some outside factors affect us that we shouldn't have. Zach Pascal had mentioned, you know, yeah, there was an issue with the humidity and the heat, there's no doubt about it. But it was all part of the plan in some regards because Wolf it's that uncomfortab building right that these players are feeling, whether it's the heat and the humidity, whether it's their status on the roster. These decision makers are trying to get the best out of everyone and get them regular season ready.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something tells me that Jag got up in front of the team and lit them up. I mean lit them up in a big, big way. After Wednesday's practice, we saw it out there. There were pre snab penalties we have not seen pre snap penalty we have not seen a plot the rah of pre snab penalties the way that we've seen in the past here and suddenly they were all over the place in Wednesday's practice and also too just getting whipped at the point of attack, physically getting whipped and especially on the offensive side of the ball. And I really thought the offense came out and totally did a one pint eighty. They were physical, they came off the ball, they were buttoned up, the mental layers were gone. There were no presnat penalties that I saw, and they were physical at the point of attack, and they had a great practice. Now listen, I will tell you, yeah, is a practice, Yes it is. And did you have a bad practice on Wednesday in a great practice on Thursday? Yes, that is the case. But if you are going into a game, that's the way I wanted to trend, Polly, where you have a great practice on Thursday. Yeah, you kind of choke on Wednesday, but had a great one on Thursday. I'll take that all day long.
Speaker 5: But at least you showed you're capable of it. It wasn't based on a lack of talent. As Josh Woods said after practice yesterday, quote, we let the weather dictate how we were attacking our work and we're gonna see on film that we weren't maximizing our effort. So some of the team leaders, a former team captain like Joshua was JG got up in front of the team. I'm sure that message was clear, because you're right, all the pre snap penalties in the first practice there were there were Minnesota defenders in the backfield. I mean constantly. There was no downfield passing attack by the Cardinals offense in that first practice, and going eleven on eleven.
Speaker 1: The point of attack was awful. All that was was no point of.
Speaker 5: Attack that was remedy today and then and then look, you're gonna get a heck of a test out of the Vikings offense as well. You got Kirk Cousins, you got justin Jefferson, you have experience offensive linemen, you have a system, they're comfortable in Kevin O'Connell from a playoff team. So well, it's all about getting ready for Week one. And everyone that I talked to read that they got a lot more out of these two practices than they would have had just practicing against each other once again at State parm Stadium.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also to PAULI, they just got to continue. They're going to continue to build that culture. And it's not just personnel in which you build that culture, of course, it is scheme and how you go about your business. And this is what I really like, because I saw them respond respond today going out and suddenly there was thirteen personnel right from the very first team period. There was third. Don't tell me, Pauli that was by accident. I don't believe that was by accident. I believe they got lit up on Wednesday night and suddenly there's Drew Petsing. He comes out in thirteen personnel and he's like, here we go. We're going to cram the ball vertical and we're going to give you the opportunity to show us immediately that Thursday is not Wednesday, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: There's a reason we have a blocking tight end on this edition of The Big Red Rage. Jef Swain is joining us, coming up a little bit later. Takeaways. Who stood out? What stood out? Can I throw this out there? Clayton Tune got better over these two practices. Clayton Tune created a little bit of a buzz the fifth round, Rookie quarterback out of Houston with forty four career starts under his belt. Clayton Tune was a guy who looked comfortable running the Cardinals offense and doing it against a pretty stout Vikings defense that has a really aggressive defensive coordinator in Brian Flores. And conversely, not that I'm here to fan the flames of any sort of quarterback competition or controversy.
Speaker 1: Oh you're gonna fan the flames.
Speaker 5: Colt McCoy did not slam the door shut on the competition either. I'm really curious where this stands going into the final preseason game. As you know, I've created the hashtag let the rook cook give them three quarters against the Vikings on Saturday and then call the football doctor.
Speaker 1: In the morning. Well, yeah, you're gonna do that. I still think that Colt McCoy is going to be the starter Week one. That's just me, Paully. But we'll see how it all shakes out here. Let me just say, who did I think was impressive about there? I really like what I'm seeing from Lecky FOTWO. I like a photo gap. I like what I'm seeing from Lecky FOTU. LJ. Collier as well, Oh my goodness, he flashed bej Ojulari with a couple of really nice pass rushes and one on one right there. I also thought, too Keyante Ingram, you talk about who flashed James Connor had some nice runs today, But Keante Ingram once again a guy that I think has solidified that position of RB two right now, Greg Dorge And oh, by the way, look everyone, it's Michael Wilson. This guy continues to show up. Have you noticed that Polly continues to show up.
Speaker 5: The fact he hasn't played that much in the two preseason games, I think tells you everything. They've seen enough on Michael Wilson. They already trust him, and going against a Byron Murphy, for example, he's physical enough to body of Byron Murphy and get between an experienced quarter like Murph and the quarterback to make a contested catch, strong enough with the hands. But getting back to Lecky Fotwo, I completely agree. Arguably the Viking's best offensive lineman is their center. Garrett Bradbury and Lecky Fotwo own him repeatedly in those one on one drills, whether it was getting through, ripping the arm through, or just a flat bull rush with three hundred and thirty plus pound ucky PHO two. It was impressive to watch him.
Speaker 1: It's the light bulb going on in the shit. Well, guess what.
Speaker 5: There are two guys left from the twenty twenty draft class. So if he's motivated, maybe he looked at Josh Jones and Isaiah Simmons in his episode sixty one of the day Patch podcast. Cardinals defensive coordinator Nick rollis available now wherever you get your podcasts. We continue with a Big Red Rage from Minnesota, presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Big third down for the Cardinals, a minute to go here in the third third and five for the Vikings on their thirty shotguns naffed.
Speaker 1: The Cousins straight dropped back in trouble hit.
Speaker 3: The ball is pumbled, Isaiah Simmons chopped it out and Isaiah Simmons recovers it.
Speaker 8: What a play.
Speaker 4: Two plays by Isaiah Simmons.
Speaker 3: He strips the ball and then he recovers it big time by the former top ten pick.
Speaker 4: The X Factor. Isaiah Simmons came out of blitz beat his man, got his left palm and knocked the pig away from puzzins. A script sack for Isaiah Simmons.
Speaker 5: The big play wasn't the problem. It was the consistency play in and play out. Isaiah Simmons, who has all the measurables six ' four runs that four three nine forty. You see the length, and but it just never materialized into a single position where he could excel at And because of that, he is no longer a member of the Arizona Cardinals. So at least that's one of the numerous reasons as Will came back into the Big Red Rage presented by Santane Ford in Gilbert. We are santan Ford, Paul calvic Ron Wolfley in Minnesota after a couple of joint practices against the Vikings, Jeff Swain Cardinals tight end going to join us momentarily. But once again, the big news earlier today, Isaiah Simmons dealt in the New York Giants for a seventh round pick. He was in a contract year, his fifth year option was not picked up earlier in the offseason. So we'll just gauge your degree of surprise when you heard the news.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was pretty shocked, Paul, only from the standpoint that it was a seventh round pick. Isaiah Simmons as well. We know how up and down he's been from time to time. It tells you how inconsistent Isaiah Simmons truly played. I think last year when they look at the tape and go back and watch it, I think it really shows how inconsistent he was. He flashed, There's no doubt about it. And we saw the games that he flashed. You know, you think of that Raiders game on the road where he caused the fumble, picked up the ball and suddenly there it is Byron Murphy taking it back for a touchdown. As I recall, yep, so you're you're you know again, he makes the big play, but it's the mundane play that I think you've got to look at, and I think that was his undoing.
Speaker 5: PAULI, Well, think about it. He started last season with the green dot and his helmet. He was calling the defense, but by the fourth quarter against Kansas City, that job belonged to Zavin Collins. He didn't start that Raiders game, but he finished it, literally finished the game, causing that that fumble those return for the game winning touchdown. So with all that being said, you had Isaiah Simmons who played about a half dozen different positions over the course of his Cardinals career. The highest percentage of snaps he got last year was actually at slot corner. We know he's drafted initially originally to be that weak side inside linebacker, but this year had mainly been a deep center field safety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was Paully, and once again, I think that is part of the problem with Isaiah Simmons. You know how I feel about this. I've been saying for the last few years that I would love to see them take Isaiah, stick them at one spot and say this is your job description right here. This is what you've got to do, A B, C and D. Isaiah, this is what you do a B, C and D. This is what you have to do. Just let him learn one position. Maybe it was a situation where they tried them out and they thought they gave him that one position spot and yet he wasn't learning it, so then they started moving. I have no idea what it was Paully, but to me right now, I think ultimately the X factor actually ended up hurting Isaiah.
Speaker 5: Simmons originally drafted what advanced Joseph saying he was drafted to cover the tight end yet against the Travis Kelcey or George Kittle that didn't work out in the cardinals favor. So there he was earlier in camp and he was asked, all right, so how did gen up playing safety? And Isaiah Simmons told the media that he told the coaches he didn't want to play linebacker. So if he doesn't want to be in the box and he wasn't good in space as a deep center field safety, what do you do well? Jonathan Gannon was asked by the media just about everything involved and how Simmons. You know, he was there, but they just didn't necessarily have a place for him on the depth chart.
Speaker 9: He did everything that we asked him to do. It's just moving forward. We feel like this is the best way that how we want to play football against other people. So we're going to try to put the best guys out there that can function and do a good job for us.
Speaker 8: And that's what we felt.
Speaker 5: Like what everybody saw in that Kansas City game. Wolf you know, we've seen it in mini camp, we saw it in training camp. Yeah, just didn't look natural. It didn't seem to have those instincts to play that safety spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what Paully, and once again they just kind of wonder about it. You know, this new regime that has come in here, they did not draft Isaiah Simmons, they did not coach Isaiah Simmons. Now all of a sudden, here they are in their first year trying to do that and establish that. It really shows how bad of a fit he was from a cultural perspective and also schematically from what they wanted schematically. And I think that ultimately is what got Isaiah Simmons right there, Just the fact that he went out there and especially the inconsistency that we have seen from time to time, and then against Kansas City in the number two preseason game, which has taken on that whole new import of preseason game number three. When there used to be four preseason games. Now all of a sudden, that preseason game number two is a big game. And he went out there and he struggled. And it wasn't just on the Bouchelle quarterback run for a touchdown. It also was on some other plays. You could see where he seemed to show a lack of effort on some plays, and I think that is one of the reasons why he also is gone because after the game there wasn't a lot of accountability there, Paul, that's just my take on that. Nobody's told me that. That's just me looking from the outside end.
Speaker 5: There's no doubt that in Week one, Washington would have targeted him. It's a game of matchups. There's no doubt they would have tried to isolate him in certain matchups. I've said before, Isaiah Simmons to me, is the nfl ink blot test. You look at him, what do you see?
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: Different personnel evaluators see different positions. I think the one lesson is you can't just draft measurables because he checks every single box in terms of being an elite athlete. But does he have a position?
Speaker 1: You know what? I'm hoping somebody finds him a position because I love the kid. I hope he finds success in the future somewhere else. But it certainly was not happening here.
Speaker 5: And whether the decision makers know it or not, it had an impact on the players in that locker room, starting with today's practice. Fact after practice, here's what DJ Humphreys had to say about the Isaiah Simmons trade.
Speaker 7: Lighting a fire a young guy seeing it has never really even seen someone get traded, let alone a first round pick, you know what I mean. I think it definitely put a fire on a lot of those young guys that I got.
Speaker 4: Me.
Speaker 7: That's something that I already knew was a part of the business. Obviously, I hate to see my guyasay go. I hate to see him leave. I know he'll go to New York and figure things out and get a roll to for his carrit.
Speaker 5: You know what's amazing, two Wolf is that when he was originally drafted, are really our only question at the time was was he going to be physical enough? Was he capable and willing? Yeah, of tackling that was never really a question problem. He was physical, he was agressive.
Speaker 1: He just couldn't do it. He couldn't do it consistently though, Paully, that is the one thing about it.
Speaker 8: He just was.
Speaker 1: He was physical. When suddenly it was a high profile play, you would see him. He was not afraid. But again, the consistency of being able to play that way, that is what has been brought into question.
Speaker 5: And when we saw Antonio Hamilton playing a lot of nickel corner against Kansas City, you started to wonder because Okay, if Antonio Hamilton is on the field, guess what, You're not taking Buddha Baker and Jalen Thompson off that field. That's coming at the expense of Isaiah Simmons. And if Antonio Hamilton, a bigger corner, an experience corner, can handle that nickel position that you might have put a JT or Buddha into, well, guess what, now, Isaiah becomes that much more expendable. So if you read between the lines, they were building up to that moment and trying to assess what they had. And again one Isaiah wasn't deemed capable of covering the elite tight ends. That's originally where he was drafted. That was going to be his job description. So he had that, and then you had the Josh Jonestrait third round pick twenty twenty, same draft as Isaiah Simmons, six seven, three ten at all the measurables. Played four years as starting left tackle at the University of Houston. He was dealt to the Texans along with a seventh round pick and return for a fifth round pick. Ostensibly lost the swing tackle battle with Calvin Beachum.
Speaker 1: And there it is right there, Calvin Beacham actually coming through and it appears as though he is going to be that backup swing tackle right now. Not really a surprise because you know the way that I feel about Calvin Beachum. This guy is a team leader. He is a pros pro if ever there was. And the fact that you can have this guy on the roster even if he's not starting for you, I think is a major plus going forward, especially with all the young guys that are going to be on this team.
Speaker 5: And honestly, Kelvin Beacham has more positional flexibility than a Josh Jones. Josh Jones played those four years of left tackle, told the media how much more comfortable he was on the left side, combined with the fact he was much more of a tackle than a guard. Guard didn't really work out a couple of years ago when they needed him in a pinch. So if you have Kelvin Beacham, who could play either side, he can play either position, tackle or guard, he just becomes the more valuable player to get you out of a pinch, get you out of a game if you're only going to address eight offensive lines.
Speaker 1: And I also think too Pauly the offensive line and the depth on the offensive line along with the secondary as well. I think, come cut down day, I think it's going to be really interesting the waiver wire. I could see many Austin Ford jg work in that waiver wire, four or five spots on this roster.
Speaker 5: Speaking of maniasip fort working, he now owns twelve picks total in next year's draft, the first three rounds if you presume that they're gonna get a compensatory pick for Zach Allen. So Cardinals are tracking towards owning the twenty twenty four draft at this point. Hey, single game tickets on sale now. Got to easycardinals dot com slash buy tickets to secure your seats today. All Right, Wolf's favorite position group we all know his offensive line, second favorite, not fullback, since it's almost distinct. How about blocking tight end? Jeff swaym is next in the big red rage.
Speaker 2: Canny Hill, the faith to Henriott, third down to the ends, clutch down the tight end, Jeff Flame.
Speaker 9: Jeff's doing an excellent job for us. Good skill set, one that's a little bit different from the guys we have on the roster.
Speaker 1: Which is cool.
Speaker 9: And you know he's just he's improving his game, learning the system, all those things, and producing at a high level when his number is called.
Speaker 5: Well the offense this year for the Arizona Cardinals, should we go with free the tight then let the tight end cook? I mean, what do you think? What should we go with? Because it is going to look different this year and everyone needs to get themselves ready for the re emergence of the tight end.
Speaker 1: Let the tight end cook. Like I like that right there.
Speaker 5: I love the signing to Jeff Swain who joins us. Now, this team realized, you know what, we have a need.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go out.
Speaker 5: And Jeff Swain checks that box and he joins us. Now on the Big Red Rage presented by sand tan Ford in Gilbert, not that far removed from a joint practice here in Minnesota, Zach Pascal said he lost twelve pounds by the time that practice was done.
Speaker 1: Speaking of cooking, are you a.
Speaker 5: Guy who will sweat off like ten pounds or something in one of those ridiculous heat index practices?
Speaker 8: Maybe not ten, But I played my year. I played in Jacksonville. I learned if I'm not in the game, or if I'm not in practice taking a rep, I am just drinking fluid. So I only lost maybe a pound and a half two pounds a day, but that was just because I spent the whole time drinking when I wasn't in there. So, Jeff, you like to get bloody knuckles, you know what I mean? You like to mix it up. And I played ten years and that's what I like to do too. That's what I loved listening to jayg right there. It was interesting. He said he's got a good skill set. What is your skill set? Yeah, I'm a bucking Titan and that's what I'd like to do, and it's what I've made a career of doing. So yeah, I feel comfortable in that role, and I want to be in an offense that allows me to do that because it's what I like to do.
Speaker 1: The Tennessee Titans, I'm thinking of the Tennessee Titans. Man, did they love to run the ball? They loved it pound the ball. How did you get out of that organization? Jeff? If in fact you are, because you're the best blocking tight end they had on their roster. Now that's me. That's just my assessment of that watching you play and you have been four years, So how did that come to a close.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, I I don't know because I'm not in there in those in those meetings. I think just with the the when they change offensive coordinators, I think they're just they're just going maybe a little bit of a different direction.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 8: Obviously I watch a little tap because they played Minnesota last week in their preseason game, so I got to watch their offense versus Minnesota's defense. It's just kind of as a studying and you know, a lot of the same similar concepts. But they just I don't know, if I had to guess, just going younger and and uh, you know, trying to get a youth movement, so kick the old guy out in a new GM.
Speaker 1: Yeah. In Tennessee.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the fact there's a new head coach and a new GM with the Arizona Cardinals. Count Angrim use the word uncomfortable the other day. Just there's sort of that vibe, right, No one's quite sure what the decision makers are thinking. How would you describe I mean, this is your ninth season. What are your takeaways on the vibe in this camp?
Speaker 8: I mean, I I've really enjoyed my time. I've I've liked the uh, I've liked the way they've set things up, in the scheduling, all that stuff has been great. You know, I'm taking care of me, which is it has been good. We still get our working though, and and you know, I know money from from Tennessee, so you know, I have some You know, we didn't spend like a ton of time together, but I know him well enough to know what he's about, and I like the way he goes about his business. Obviously, I'm not real privat in those conversations, so I couldn't tell you like necessarily you know, how they're running the show. But yeah, we're just all getting to know each other.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 8: It's the same thing. You know, I think first time play callers, and it's it's all new, you know. So there's a lot of growth that has to that has to happen. There's a lot of maturity from a team standpoint, just just a lot of things to work on. And that's what camp's all about. So I'm not it's not a surprise, but yeah, certainly with new staff, everyone's got new opportunities. I'm a new guy here. It just it all feels kind of like the I guy here was like the first day of school.
Speaker 1: You know I mentioned that. So you know, with Drew Petzing as the offensive coordinator on this team and knowing how much he loves twelve personnel and thirteen personnel as well, was that something was appealing to you when you came here or or is it just something that you said, Hey, you know what, I'm going to be given the opportunity, let me play.
Speaker 8: It was a little bit of both. You know, like you need a job, so you you need a job, right, But no, I've I knew his background in Cleveland, and I knew kind of how they they ran the ball. And when I spent my years in Tennessee, you know, Cleveland didn't get a lot of like National Median, you know, attention, but they ran the ball, man, that's what they did. And obviously I played with Austin Hooper last year in Tennessee and he had been in that offense, so I kind of I kind of knew their style of ball and I thought it would be a good fit. And I saw an opportunity to like kind of define a role here that would have be that would be in my wheelhouse. So you know, I jumped at it.
Speaker 5: I think your head coach will probably agree with you on that front, In fact, leads me to this question, what's coming.
Speaker 1: What sort of.
Speaker 5: Commitment to the run game do you think we can expect this season?
Speaker 8: Jeff, Well, there's some way to be seen.
Speaker 1: You know, Like.
Speaker 8: Throughout camp we've been just you know, trying different stuff and working on our game and just trying to nail the details of each specific scheme because you can. You can throw a lot of things on the war on the Wall and drop a lot of different schemes, but you have to put in reps. You have to put in the time to get good at what you what you're doing. And I think that's something that will develop as the season goes on. You know, I don't know how Drew looks at it, but just the identity of the team, the identity of the run game, the identity of everything develops as you progress. It's not something that you just outline and that's it sticks. Like, yeah, you have your objectives and you have your goals and the way you're going to run your team and your offense. All those things you know stay. But what you get good at and what you turn into as an offense that comes from playing games. And so we can talk all we want in the an offseason. We can talk in training camp and we can run a myriad of different things, but it's going to be what we put on the field, you know, and that it's gonna be from week one. You know, week ten you should obviously know who you are by then, but you know what I mean, like, it's gonna grow from week one to then.
Speaker 1: So job here we are joint practices with the Minnesota Vikings. How's it going? And by the way, do you enjoy joint practices? I do more now.
Speaker 8: I was joking around someone the other day when I was I think it was my rookie year, I was spending with the Cowboys and we had a joint practice with then Saint Louis Rams and I remember it was like one of my first days out there, and I was going we were doing like an inside run drill, and I kept just going against Chris Long and he had this low four point stance. He was super low to the ground, and I just there was nothing I could do to like block him. There's nothing I can do. And I was just every time i'd get back in the back of the line before I had to go again. I had like three or four plays before I had to go back in. I was just sitting there like, there's nothing I can do about this, and I was so I remember just being like so like overwhelmed, not knowing how to do this. But those things were really instrumental in teaching me how to block. Obviously I came in as a blocker, but learning how to block kind of through going against some of the better defenders. Yeah, kind of set me up to be forced to grow. And so now I look at the joint practices unless they're not like this, Like when you're young, it can kind of be a big moment, you know, But as I get older, now it's just an opportunity to test myself against guys that are obviously good players and they've got a they've got a really good front and a good defense, and so for me, it's I look at it more like I can attack.
Speaker 1: Do you talk to some of the young guys about this stuff? To you? Are you one of these guys you like to share your wisdom with some of these young guys. Yeah, I mean I don't know. I don't know how much i'd call it wisdom, you know. I I I want to make sure that I don't overstep, and a young guy who's learning an offense, I'd also don't want to overwhelm them with too much because that's not helpful, and not trying to do show him what I'm doing to make him a version of me. It's like, what does he do well? What does he need to hear so that he can develop? Because everyone's body positioning and the way they're built is different, and so you can't just one size fit all approach. And so I'm trying to learn. I'm trying to listen more than a talk, and I do find myself talking frequently though I say that how.
Speaker 5: Much did you learn from Jason Witten? Jeff Swain is our guest. So you started your career, as you mentioned.
Speaker 8: With Dallas. Yeah, yeah, So I got to I got to Dallas in twenty fifteen, and and I've been watching with since I was like a kid, you know. And so him and Jeremy Shockey and these guys that I had been watching, you know, coming up, and my position coach who got me drafted, and he was Shocky's coach as well, So there's this connection there. And then I got to learn through Wit. But you know, he taught me a ton, man, He really did. He taught me a ton, but it wasn't as much like what he was saying. It was like the same thing with kids, like they they watched him, they do what you do, you know. And so he was a good example of how to practice the right way, how to how to learn. You know, he'd be having me for five minutes an hour after meetings were done. We'd be in the film room and he would just be grilling me about something, and not like in a harsh way, but just like he was really passionate about football and about being detailed and approaching it with the correct mindset, like with the attention that it deserves and needs and requires. And so I really gravitated to that. Because I was a detailed guy and not being the strongest guy in the world, I had to learn how to use technique and he was really really good at that. And so I learned a ton from him, man, I really did. And but most of it was just how to approach the game the right way, how to approach your studying, and how to how to just be a pro.
Speaker 1: You know, Jeff, how long do you want to play? As long as you let me? So? Ok, We're totally adopting an old school mentality on this. Basically, you know what, you're gonna have to rip the jersey off my bag? Is that what you're saying? I used to have.
Speaker 8: I used to get asked that, And even in the past, like I only arrived with a conclusion maybe six months ago, you know, i'd have all these I don't know, we'll see, you know. But then the truth is, man, like I love playing football. I can't think of of a cooler thing to do, and I enjoy I enjoy it so much more now, and so yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna pursue it as long as I can. You know, I don't want to be out there gimping around, not able to play. But I I had that sneaky feeling that I'll never get to that point. They'll kick me out long before I get that old you know. So I'm just gonna I'm gonna ride it till it will fall off.
Speaker 5: As we wrap up with Jeff swam is a mere does this team have four distinctly different tight ends? Zach Ertz is different than you versus a Trey McBride versus ANATANGI I yep, I mean, those are all the you guys all have really different skill sets even though you're all technically tight ends.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's right, and I think that's I don't know that I've been in a room that's had so much diversity and skill set. I've been in a lot of you know, a few other tight end rooms, and I played with some some pretty good tight ends, and I've learned a lot from tons of different perspectives. But yeah, it's a it's a it's kind of an odd thing to walk in the room and like ask how to see how Zach plays the game, and then watch Tray's ability to move in spaces is pretty cool, and then like watching Noah in the fluidity with which he plays the game. You know, I take a ton away from those guys. And that's what I'm saying about the listening part of it. Like this, I do talk a ton, but I do watch, like watch how they play, and it is cool to see the difference in their skill sets.
Speaker 5: By the way, the Cowboys get so much media coverage, and I remember all those epic joint practice fights they had over the years. Were ever involved in one of those melees?
Speaker 8: Well you remember this, The Rams one about eight years ago, you were involved in that. I was there. I went involved. Well, it was on the other side of the field and I had run like one hundred and twenty yars to get there, and I was like, oh, you guys got it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna hang ou over here.
Speaker 5: But you're here in Jacksonville. This heat and humidity is nothing compared to Jacksonville, right, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good. Jeff enjoyed man, appreciate you guys. Thank you.
Speaker 5: Cardinals study and Jeff swaying from Cardinal's joint practice here on the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford.
Speaker 10: In Gilbert touchdown, Tyler Simmons Dobbs just got rid of it and Simmons got his head around and the ball was.
Speaker 1: Waiting for him.
Speaker 5: Was that old saying wolf? These things happened in threes. So if the day started with Isaiah Simmons being traded to the Giants for a seventh rounder, and then midday towards the end of this second joint practice, Josh Jones was dealt to Houston along with a seventh round pick for a fifth rounder, let's see what would happen at the end of today.
Speaker 1: I don't know Paul some type of trade, possibly.
Speaker 5: Reports out of the NFL network that the Cardinals have traded for Josh Dobbs.
Speaker 1: Josh Josh Dobbs the backup quarterback for the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 5: With connections to the Titans because his first two starts of his career were late last year, the final two games for the Titans after they lost Ryan Tannehill, Malik Willis struggling, Manti asin Ford, and that front office in Tennessee brought in Josh Dobbs after he was released from Cleveland because Deshaun Watson had come back and Jacoby Brissett at the time was the backup. You're following the musical quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: Trying to follow it, Yes, Paul, how about you right now? Josh Dobbs. I don't know too much about Josh Dobbs other than the fact that he's six ' three and he's two hundred and twenty pounds. He's got some pretty good size to him right now. And this is a guy that was drafted what in the fourth round by the Pittsburgh Steelers. As a matter of fact, he's played eight games in the National Football League and started too, PAULI, and he was up and down in those two affairs. Here's the thing.
Speaker 5: Tennessee had a very poor supporting cast around him in those last two games. I think we can all agree with that. It's one of the reasons why Mania Sport has done deals with the Titans. I think maybe has some inherent knowledgists. Is just me thinking out less that the Titans might not be very good this year and there's a chance between Houston and Tennessee struggling that the Cardinals could have three picks in the first seventy five or next year. Think about that, just because of all the trades.
Speaker 1: Yes, Polly, what does this make you think of right now? Well, and what does this Port ten do? You go out and these reports that are out there right now, you go out and acquire Josh Dobbs and bring him in. What do you think that port tend's Paul.
Speaker 5: Well, let's see, you're gonna have to fill a certain amount of games until Kyler Murray returns. Yes, if he is not on the fifty three on Tuesday, that means he is staying on Pop. That means he's going to miss at least the first four games of the year. Yes, So now you have the decision to make what did I say to start this edition of the Big Red Rage, brought you by santan Ford and Gilbert We are santan Ford that to me, the QB competition as it was was still ongoing, because not only is Clayton Tune slowly but steadily improved, only did he make plays against that Vikings defense. Not only did he run with the ones quite a bit the last two days here in Minnesota, But Colt McCoy had not slammed the door shut with his own performance.
Speaker 1: Yes, I would agree with that, Polly right now, But you know you've got David Blaugh on the roster right now. Maybe this does not Maybe this is not a good thing for David Blough that you go out and get Josh Dobbs. The one thing we know is Josh Dobbs is going to be on the fifty three man roster. That much we do know. We know Clayton Tune is going to be on the fifty three man roster, and I believe that Colt McCoy will be on the fifty three man roster as well as your starter going forward. But once again, the quarterback combination, in the fact that Josh Dobbs has actually worked, I believe with Drew Petsing. I think that goes a long way.
Speaker 5: Quite a bit in Cleveland. So Drew pets And has an intimate knowledge of Josh Dobbs in the skill set and what he would bring to the Cardinals offense. Maybe at this point they've seen enough to think, you know what, Josh Dobbs might be a better fit than one of the aforementioned names you just threw out there. Maybe Josh Dobbs, who had yet to start a single NFL game until those last two games last year, has some potential that he's never been able to show.
Speaker 1: Boy. That is going to be really interesting too, because Josh Dobbs is going to be familiar with a lot of the terminology of the Arizona Cardinals, And because of that, now all of a sudden, is it possible that Josh Dobbs could get a little look on Saturday as well? I think it's entirely possible.
Speaker 5: He comes in, they give him a small chapter of the playbook, a playbook he's already very familiar with, and he's out there getting a look against the Vikings backups to get his feet and guess what if he's throwing to the right spot and making the right decisions, and he has the rest of the offense in sync. Once again, these are real time decisions and evaluations that are being made by a new set of eyes. Yes, new decision makers who have come in to a large degree, Drew Petzing probably knows Josh Dobbs a lot better, and he knows Clayton Tune or Cole McCoy combined, so he might could you don't know what the OC is thinking or his comfortability factor with a Josh Dobbs versus the two he currently has in the quarterback room.
Speaker 1: Very interesting right now. But oh my goodness, when we talk about what are you going to be watching? What are you going to be watching against the Minnesota Vikings when Saturday rolls around, Paul Calvic, where are your eyes going to be? For me? Right now? I'm going to be watching who's playing quarterback, who is playing quarterback, who's out there actually taking these reps right now? And by the way, how are they doing? This is me? This is amazing the fluidity of what has transpired in the last forty eight hours for the Arizona Cardinals and their roster.
Speaker 5: If the forty nine Ers can trade away Trey Lance because of the final pick in the draft, Brock Purty, And at least those are the reports Trey Lance is done with the Niners. If Washington against the Cardinals can run out there a fifth rounder from last year's draft who got all of one start last year and Sam Howe, nothing precludes the Cardinals from doing any or all the above that we just talked about. No, So, my eyes are most definitely in the quarterback position. There's no doubt about that. Beyond that corner, the corner position, key Trell Clark, he's been running with the ones. I think he outplayed Christian Matthew decisively in preseason game number two. Does Christian Matthew have a bounceback game?
Speaker 1: If there is one guy that I'm actually gonna be eyebowling one guy, it's gonna be bj Ojalai. Ooh good one. Bjo. Happened to watch him out there today of course, going against the Minnesota Vikings. A little one on one Paul is what they call it. Bjol Jalai with a couple of really nice pass rushes in one on one. Right now, I'm really gonna be watching Bjojelaarr because I would imagine if if I were Nick Rawless and I were Jonathan Gannon, I want to get this guy as many reps as I possibly could. He could play a lot on Saturday.
Speaker 5: Guess what Dennis Gardek did not practice against the Vikings, saving Collins making the position switch. Right, So if a bja Ojalai goes out there and balls out and puts some good play on film, once again we come full circle. Hashtag no allegiances Right, he was drafted high second round.
Speaker 1: Boy, you nailed it. Don't let it go to your head.
Speaker 5: Single game tickets on sale now. Go to Hazycardinals dot com slash buy tickets to secure your seats today. Someone tells me you're gonna want to buy tickets this year. This thing is evolving right before I special Thanks jim O Mahundro, Cody Fincher, Lauren cobl Ron Wolfley and Jeff Swave Cardinals tight end all, Paul Calvic. This has been the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 10: We are santan Ford number one.
Speaker 1: Tylan.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert. Are you santan Ford State Farm. Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm and buy Arizona Cardinals podcasts. Visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcasts. This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals football Club