Speaker 1: Novel.
Speaker 2: This show contains adult material and swearing. You have been warned.
Speaker 1: I swear to God.
Speaker 3: If this man has fucked my gay therapist when I'm in weak out begging to get my dicks up by him, I'm going to screaming me I'm a savage.
Speaker 2: Are you bored of modern dating? Meeting the same people from the same apps in the same bar You've only chosen because it's close to your house and you can make your usual quick getaway. It's time to change the narrative on how we find love. It's time to start looking for love in all the wrong places. I'm going on a wild dating adventure, only picking people who are the total opposite of my type. And after twenty eight of these dates in two months, will I find that special someone? Or Well, this experiment proved that I should just give up on dating all together. It's time to find out. I'm Grace Campbell and this is twenty eight dates later. Dan, Yeah, how are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I'm good. Last night I had the man thing that happened to me cool.
Speaker 3: It was like eleven thirty at night, and I come back from the theater because I'm cultured, and the doorbell rang and I opened the door and there was this guy and he was like drawing a chat for a bit and I was like, sorry, what's going on?
Speaker 1: And like he had his foot in the door. I couldn't close the door.
Speaker 3: And he was liked and it was actually quite bad, and he was like, yeah, you're real cuteh we chat and I was like, baby, I don't know you nah, and he was like come on, what's wrong this chat? And then he was like look at this and showed me a video of his girlfriend's sucking his dick. I think he thought that I lived in like a gay brothel, like I know my house looks a bit like a gay brothel.
Speaker 1: But he was like he was like do you work here? And I was like nah, I live here.
Speaker 3: And then like to get him to go away, I had to be like, look, my partner's upstairs, which isld face line we wish and there he was like now, but like take my number, like texting me and asking him that text me. But it was like this like DL guy like on the down load, like he's stray but gay wanting sex so bad.
Speaker 1: And I was just a bit like what.
Speaker 2: That's really terrified?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, but he was a big guy as well.
Speaker 3: I was a bit like and then and then I've been like playing out in my head.
Speaker 1: I was like, is there every a situation where like I would have.
Speaker 3: Been like, yeah, fuck it, that's a porn moment. Actually now it was not cute.
Speaker 2: I don't think it sounds like that kind of porn moment. No, I know what you mean, because once an edf man came to my house. That's an energy person to anyone that's not in the UK. But he was installing my energy meter and he was so pang and then we were like really flirting because he went and stood over my kitchen counter, which he had no reason to be near, and was like, your kitchen count is like so low. And then I went over and he was like why is it so low? And I was like it's not low, it's like a normal height. Maybe you're just really tall and that's why it feels really low.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then I really thought we were going to fark and then he lat no, but we do want to find that. That would have been a great That was like, I really would thought you were gonna have sex.
Speaker 3: Well, my friend he had someone come around to fix his washing machine. They did end up having sex, but it meant that the guy didn't have time to fix.
Speaker 1: His washing machine.
Speaker 3: So then he his washing machine was broken for like months, had to go to the launderer, which they don't show you in porn.
Speaker 2: The admin.
Speaker 1: So hot, it'd be so hot.
Speaker 2: So I would love something like that to happen to me one day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same, but not what happened to me the other day.
Speaker 2: But something No, not like that, but more like the DF man.
Speaker 1: How is your day?
Speaker 2: I went on a date with a guy who is a self professed nerd, and he calls himself a nerd, right, that's what that means. Yeah, I was just explaining because some people, you know, aren't miss book like Dan.
Speaker 3: As well read for those who don't understand what self professed muse, it's a Latin.
Speaker 1: For calls himself call himself.
Speaker 2: Exactly, So basically he callses off a nerd, which is very different to my type I have always gone out of, like really laddie boys.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, mainly.
Speaker 2: I will just say that for these of this bit, yeah, we'll not actual footballers, but men who play fither side football and men who like fucking play FIFA on their laptop and championship manager.
Speaker 1: I think they always do like their little they're perfect.
Speaker 3: Team which fantasy football, Fantasy league football.
Speaker 1: Yes, so sad.
Speaker 2: So that's always been like my kind of guy. So he is a nerd, and I didn't really know what to expect, but I found him really easy to talk to, maybe because stuck inside me is a nerd.
Speaker 1: Well, you need to stop eating nerds.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't be as many nerds inside judge. A nerd just means that you have a passion, right.
Speaker 2: I guess like what he's doing by being clear about that is he's preparing you that he's not a cool guy.
Speaker 3: But like that's nice because sometimes like being cool is caring too much about what other people find.
Speaker 2: I agree, and I actually like even though it was really popular at school. But that's the last time I mentioned this.
Speaker 1: But you've actually ever mentioned that every single episode.
Speaker 2: I actually hate people who are desperate to people I don't actually connect with them. I've been invited to so many like fashion parties, and when I'm there, which I very rarely go to, range too exactly exactly with like my faded period of blood like on my jeans, I know, I feel so uncomfortable there and I do feel more comfortable with people like this guy. Absolutely, I can't go out with someone who is badly dressed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also this is not to say that all nerds dress badly, because also, what's dressing badly?
Speaker 2: No, there's dressing badly dressing.
Speaker 3: But I don't mind seeing someone in the outfit that's such a choice for them.
Speaker 2: If it's a sort of like distinctive look, I wouldn't try and change that. But I'm saying fucking non branded trainers, ill fitting jeans, a fucking T shirt with the Rolling Stones logo on it.
Speaker 3: You're literally just describing what I'm wearing right now, joking, joking.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't be seen dead.
Speaker 2: No, but there was a time where you wore that exact outfit.
Speaker 3: No, but my mum used to buy me five pound trainers from like Tesco, and I wore them until I was about twenty three.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fine, I'm not dating twenty three year old Dan.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yah yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyways, I'm just saying I would date a nerd, but I would have to make sure that they're, you know, like wearing good trainers.
Speaker 3: I agree, Like, I think dating a nerd is so much better than dating someone who thinks they're cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you think you're me than being like but they would have to be cool.
Speaker 3: Says you, who's actually talked about being cool at school every single episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and am saying I could day a nerve. I'd have to make them look cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you said.
Speaker 4: You're a massive nerd, so traditionally, Like, well, that's so traditional. Video games, board games and stuff like that, TV and stuff. You know, it just sounds it kind of just sounds very generic. It sort of is you know, that's sort of generic stuff. Oh now I'm kind of like self conscious.
Speaker 2: Self conscious. I mean all I do is watching me.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's the thing. When COVID came, I quite liked it.
Speaker 4: It don't sound quite bad where because I'm like, okay, I you have to say inside. But it's like I was quite happy, just like I had my computer, had TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything was great. I mean so sweet, so sweet and so pure. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I loved COVID, like because I don't think anybody loved that part of people dying. But I get that that I watched all of our Housewives of Beverly Hills.
Speaker 1: He sounds a bit like an old RSC actor. Like he's got quite like a good voice. It's quite nice.
Speaker 3: It was from I do want to try out dungeons and Dragons.
Speaker 2: No, dungeons and Dragons is a huge fucking thing. Did he mention that?
Speaker 1: No, but I want to like a friend of mine the other day was like, oh.
Speaker 2: I played a movie coming out movie.
Speaker 3: No, but like I kind of all like laughing. I want to dress up and go to the words.
Speaker 2: Have you ever done an escape room?
Speaker 3: I remember doing an skate room with my family for like someone's birthday, and I just pretended that I was in one of the sore films. So the whole time, like I wouldn't help with any clues. I was just like screaming at the person on like the microphone who's like watching us, be like.
Speaker 1: Let us out, please stop it.
Speaker 3: And then like I would pretend that I was being tortured by something, but then actually my family would be stuck in something and I'd be like, it's this like.
Speaker 1: I was watching.
Speaker 2: I've never done a skat ingom with my family, but we just call it home.
Speaker 4: I barely have time for me and the cat. I don't have time for which is why like I don't like I do dates, but I just don't do too many because I'm.
Speaker 1: Just like, I don't have time for people.
Speaker 4: It doesn't sound terrible, but I've told people that if I didn't have my cat Sasha, I would be a way worse place.
Speaker 1: I don't know, probably true.
Speaker 2: Exactly Are you are you an introvert?
Speaker 4: Would you say no, I'm a bit introverted for me. I'm just like because with the app field, I've got into it mainly for like the poly aspect. Okay, sweet, if I meet someone they've got someone that it's like, okay.
Speaker 2: Is that a dream scenario for you?
Speaker 1: Just because like.
Speaker 4: They still have people that they can be intimate and have a relationship with them, will have to take one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Of my time. Okay, I'm literally crying. That relationship he has with his cat is honestly, he brought.
Speaker 2: His cat on the day no no, no, I had Eddie though, but of course for Christmas, so he did Christmas him and his cat, and he loved it, and he made him a Christmas dinner and made the cat a Christmas dinner. Valentine's Day, he got his cat Valentine's card.
Speaker 3: I mean it got too much for a second, it's turning against like Stephen King misery like slightly, But.
Speaker 2: I actually don't know about that. I think it's really sweet, and I think it's really sweet.
Speaker 1: A cat can't read.
Speaker 2: Car I buy Eddie presents all the time, Like whenever I go away, I bring her back a present.
Speaker 1: Yeah, getting it, getting like a little dog toy. That's fine. A cat can't read.
Speaker 2: But sweet exactly, you don't know. I think it's sweet that he's talking about this on a day. This is what I liked about him. There was no kind of shame in some of the things that I think, Like I'm sometimes embarrassed with how much I love my dog and don't want to admit that I would kind of be happy just me and her forever.
Speaker 3: Now, well, this is the thing with the quote unquote like nerdy person, Like they don't care so much about what you think about them because they enjoy the things and the life they have.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. But then also what was interesting is then he was talking about like dating people, and it wasn't like he doesn't date. He basically just prefers dating people who are already in a poly relationship so that he can just see them maybe once every few weeks because he hasn't got time because he's got him and his cat.
Speaker 3: But I love that it's like his main emotional connection with his cat. But like if he wants has sex with someone and he wants on.
Speaker 2: The side, Yeah, exactly, I love that.
Speaker 3: I mean, it ain't a bad life. But also, like it is weird the attachment.
Speaker 1: You get with a pet.
Speaker 2: It's really weird.
Speaker 3: I live with two cats and they're not even my own, but my god, I'm so attached to the way.
Speaker 2: And it's weird how much that attachment can fill avoid that you would otherwise want to get from a human.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I was thinking about the other day. It's the learning of someone. It's like, because they can't communicate, you have to learn what they like, so like how they like to be stroked, or like what sort of things they enjoy doing. Like you learn that on like a real like micro level, and that connection and time spent learning what Sue enjoys is a nice thing. I enjoy like knowing that, like my cat prefers being striked on the head.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's let's keep it clean, please, getting of it.
Speaker 1: I will not steal. This will not happen again. I always say, like, listen, you've got to get back.
Speaker 2: In the horse the ads to get bagging. You can.
Speaker 1: I just say right now that I do not fuck animals.
Speaker 2: But he said that thing about being interested in poly people. I was that kind of interesting because I was like, I've identified you as someone who doesn't really have that go on dates. So then I asked him about what his dating life is actually like, you know, then I was like, okay, maybe a player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but sometimes also like the freakiest people are the ones that make a card for their count Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: So how was the daily he went on with the therapist.
Speaker 1: It's okay.
Speaker 4: The whole date was making sure we were back to my tough sex. That's basically all everything was leading up to.
Speaker 1: Fine.
Speaker 2: And was that sort of mutually agreed thing, yeah, that agreed before you mat Yeah, yeaheah quite a bit.
Speaker 4: I think it's one of the first things we said. We're like, yeah, let's look up Yeah, okay, I.
Speaker 2: Guess sounds very nothing about.
Speaker 4: Not particularly I put in a lot of effort really, But the great thing was that he did mention like a particularly like a queer therapist website. I'm like, okay, sweet, So I was looking through that the other day to try and find her everything.
Speaker 3: I swear to God, if this man has fucked my gay therapist, I'm gonna scream. If that's a therapist that he's talking about having sex with when I'm weak in week out begging to get my dick sucked by him and he's just fucking him, I'm going to be so.
Speaker 2: Upset, especially on a podcast where all you've done is speak about how much you want to fuck your therapist.
Speaker 1: All you've done is say how cool you were at school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not siding on a pedestal headan and soundings over eagle to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I'm just like you.
Speaker 2: I'm just like you.
Speaker 3: Wait, I can't keep saying I want to fuck my therapist. I actually don't. It's just it's that same. It's like that porn situation, Like is I don't.
Speaker 2: That's fine, we hear you loud and clear, dance my therapist shaking Dan, Dan, the microphone's shaking a bit more.
Speaker 3: The problem is you sound just like my therapist right now. That's what he says to me in my sessions.
Speaker 2: Basically for the past half of the day. I felt really like calm and likely how I feel around straight men with this man. And once he said that he'd been on the date of the man, I was like, Oh, that's why I feel so calm about you, because you are either like bisexual, queer, I don't know. Then I was like, oh, that's why we're getting along really well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he sounds a little bit like a little funck boy.
Speaker 4: To be honest, a lot of my life I thought it was homosexual cells on grinder a lot more. I dated Marraman for like six months. Really, yeah, they were sort of they was together, but only like a living together. They fine, They emotionally separated a while ago.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it was great.
Speaker 4: That was the That was a fun time. You just bought me everything. Really, I think I was four. I'm like, yeah, they'll buy my drinks all the time, taking out to meals by me, all the drops. Everything was real fun. Yeah, and then because I was a young person and a bit of an asshole, they didn't want to be with me that, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fun for a time, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: I love the journey of South do. I mean, this person's figuring themselves out, like if you were in popular school, you care so.
Speaker 2: Much about you, and then you wouldn't do some of the things that something you might have wanted to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like at school, if I could have dated a married man who is buying me stuff, that's all I wanted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially in your twenties for them to just pay for everything. It's the dream.
Speaker 3: I'm just scared that now I'm too old to like get a sugar daddy. How can you get a sugar daddy if you are a daddy.
Speaker 2: But you're not a daddy grow up. You're not even thirty.
Speaker 1: You're not a daddy grow up, So you want me to be a daddy.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, and I mean this energetically.
Speaker 1: It's energetic, No, because you are very much.
Speaker 2: Still in the baby era, like we are not even in our thirties.
Speaker 3: No, I know, but I just feel like sometimes it's like not necessarily about age. It can be about like size and energy. Like I'm a big old person.
Speaker 2: I think that's a really self fulfilling prophecy that isn't true, but that you're speaking into existence for yourself. I don't believe that to be true.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is the nicest conversation we've ever heard that, but you're saying that.
Speaker 2: I'm shouting, but I'm saying that because you're duel, that you can never have a sugar daddy.
Speaker 3: Like that's I think sometimes it's like the thing of I think sometimes it's like older bear, small little twink.
Speaker 2: No, but I think that's something that you have decided, and I don't believe that is true.
Speaker 3: Okay, Wow, we're getting having a breakthrough today.
Speaker 2: Okay, can everybody leave the rough much? Because I think I'm about to really.
Speaker 1: Close the door? Thanks? And should I take off my top for me?
Speaker 4: I don't want to seem like the creepy male, and like obviously I'm a nerd as well, so it's like, oh god, do I look like one of these are what they called a good guys?
Speaker 1: Nice guys. I don't want to seem like that.
Speaker 4: I don't want to be creepy.
Speaker 2: I don't think you have that by I really wouldn't. I don't. I think you've got like a good energy. Also, if you're not straight, that you know means that I'm going to costume.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I think if I make people and realize I'm actually quite straight passing, sometimes I'm like, yeah, so that's why I have to say things to certain people.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's mad how much instantly like more like comfortable and safe I feel with someone when I find out they're not.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, this is it's my shirt work. I ship on straight men all the time and I'm like, no, they're technically a protective class, so I can't really say anything negative about them.
Speaker 2: But yeah, well, I mean I wouldn't worry about that. They're fine, They're doing okay, but themselves.
Speaker 1: So it's a very good point.
Speaker 3: The amount of times I'm on like a pat tube and I'm like up against a woman and I have to.
Speaker 1: Make it clear to her that day. Yeah, I'd be like, oh I love that jacket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I'm walking home at night and it's dark and it's late and there's a woman on the street as well as she's in front of me, and then it's just me like singing cabareting.
Speaker 2: It's crazy how much they do you feel there? Of course, And I think, you know, I mean, I spend a lot of my time with gay men because I obviously prefer the.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: It is interesting how I just enjoyed this day because I felt like his energy put me at ease a lot because I was like, well, I know that he's not just wanting to like fuck me, and you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like I sometimes I go for this thing where like I'll put an outfit on and I'll be out and I'll be like, do I look straight? And every single time people are like, you're the gayest person I've ever met?
Speaker 1: What are you on about? No?
Speaker 3: But you know sometimes what happens in gay bars. There are straight men in gay bars kind of pretending to be gay. But I've been out with like friends before, my straight female friends in like a gay bar, and I'll be chatting to someone feeling all comfortable with them, and then they're like try and come on to them, and I'll be like, wait, I thought you were gay, And.
Speaker 1: That's happened to me before.
Speaker 2: That again, like is a fucking crazy thing. But it's then manipulating that thing that I've just described, which is like pretend that you're gay to laura women into this safety and then try and get with them. And it's happened to me before, and I've been like, what the fart?
Speaker 3: It's so mad to think that like that foundation would allow a woman to trust you and have sex with because in like you're thinking that you're going to be in a club attended to be gay, the woman's going to be like, oh my god, that's so funny, let's bang anywhere. Nah, because you've been lying the entire time.
Speaker 2: Exactly and you're creepy walking red flag.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, to be fair, I'm only gay for work because it pays more. Okay, obviously I'm not sure, but I have recently been like thinking more about the box that you put yourself into when you come out, Like when you're in the closet, you reges, and then you come out you've become gay, and then at the sometain point you're there like, well maybe I like football or maybe like.
Speaker 1: Maybe you want to you know, yeah, no, but maybe like it's not so this or that there is fluidity in it.
Speaker 2: That's what he was saying that a lot of his life he thought he was completely gay and then has explored other things more recently. And I think you know, this.
Speaker 1: Was like being on a podcast to date with a woman.
Speaker 3: So when you met him, did you think that he was going to be as like sexual explorative as he was?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I mean it really did surprise me, and I guess that's kind of what he's saying, of like putting people in boxes, like I really wouldn't have Like when he started talking about his like sex life, love life, I was very I identified him all wrong.
Speaker 3: Would you date someone else who is a self profess nerd? Everyone forgot what that definition is that means call themself a nud?
Speaker 2: Yes, I actually forgot what self professment? So thank you so much for doing that. I think so. I think obviously, as I've said, someone who calls himself a nerd, it just means that maybe there are things that they're like obsessed with which I can relate to. And I don't like people who try way too hard to be called that is really I'll just finish my point, actually done, but thank you. I don't know, but thank you so much for being so excited by what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Maybe I jump into peoples coming.
Speaker 2: I'm still finishing my well why.
Speaker 1: Is such a dramatic pause.
Speaker 2: Play? But I think I would rather on the spectrum of self professed nerd to like boy who wears Solomon trainers and like loves to post about them and like is desperate to show of the fact that he's got like a fucking bike that you can like take the wheels off of, like that kind of thing. I'd much rather go out of someone who calls himself a nerd, but I would need to in the course of the relationship make them fashionable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if anyone out there does like laughing, like, let me know, because I want to dress like an olf and go into the woods. And that's not a sexual thing unless you want it to be.
Speaker 2: Next time. On twenty eight Dates Later, I Love how with dog got sick and he's like, should I kean up? Like, yeah, dude, you're in a fucking pop rose.
Speaker 1: The dog was so sick, like it was a lot. I'm sick because.
Speaker 2: You know what dogs are like, if they're sick, they want to hear, and then the dog ate the sick.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: Oh my girls around for me.
Speaker 1: I'm a savage. They can hurt it are.
Speaker 2: Twenty eight Dates Later is produced by Novel for iHeartRadio. For more from Novel, visit novel dot Audio. The series is presented by me Grace Campbell with help from Roz Pursu and Dan Whye. The producer is Diggory Waite. The executive producer is Claire Broughton. Our editors are Mithily Raw and Max O'Brien. Production management from Cherie Houston and Charlotte Wall. Willard Foxton is our creative director of Development
Speaker 1: Novel