Speaker 1: You are now Angelo what I call her?
Speaker 2: Yee hey, way up with Angela yee. I'm here with my br my brother may not for Big weekend, my best rapper friend. Yes, it was Ye Day weekend. I am bat. It's also the parade, the West Indian Day Parade was here in Brooklyn.
Speaker 3: Fresh off that plot of one piece, they said there.
Speaker 2: Was a million people out there, one million people at our serene. I came through that on your bikes, yeah, bike bike. All right, Well, we'll talk about all of that in the meantime. We also have a special guest joining us today, my girl Sonya Christna Murthy, with her book Fashion Killer.
Speaker 1: She's a real journalist. We've known each other for.
Speaker 2: A long, long, long long time, and she has another book that she's doing that she's working on right now about Rockefeller Records. Okay, but anyway, let's get the show started with some love and some positivity. We are back at work. Maybe some people didn't even have off. Eight hundred two nine two fifty one to fifty. Call us up and let us know who you want to shine a light on.
Speaker 1: It's way up, shine machine.
Speaker 4: Turn your lights on, y'all. So I spreading love to those who are doing greatness.
Speaker 1: Shine the light on them, Shine a light on them.
Speaker 4: It's time to shine a light on them.
Speaker 2: It's way up at Angela yeere here and Mano's here. I'm definitely feeling way up. I can't wait till lay down. But anyway, I want to shine a light today. You know, it was Angela Yee Day over the weekend and there were a lot of different activations. But who I do want to shine a light on is my girl Destiny. You've seen her up here before, braiding my hair while I'm on the air, always working.
Speaker 1: But she hired.
Speaker 2: Eleven women to come out and braid here at Angela Ye Day. So everybody was getting their hair braided, getting ready to go back to school. And the reason she did that was because she said, last year there were a lot of people, there wasn't just enough time for people to get their hair braided. So this year she brought all these people on deck to work so that it could get done. And when I tell you that braiding booth was booked and busy the entire time of Angela y Day. Everyone was getting their hair braided and they were coming up to me like, thank you so much for this. You see, I just got my fresh braids in my hair. One person was like, I took my hair down and let them, you know, rebraid it. And a lot of these women were doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, just coming out and working and it's not easy work to stand there and break here for five hours. So I just want to shine a light on those women and on my girl Destiny for putting that together. She got all the products donated to be able to use for.
Speaker 1: The braid, yel and everything.
Speaker 3: Dope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that was really dope.
Speaker 2: And when I tell you, I feel like the whole audience had fresh braided hair.
Speaker 1: I looked at it, I was like, okay, everybody got their hair done. All right.
Speaker 2: Well, who do you guys want to shine a light on? Eight hundred two nine two fifty one fifty is the number? What's up, gas, Who do you want to shine a light on?
Speaker 5: I'm trying to shine the light on you up there. Angela y day, amazing event. Everything was dope. I started off being a fan on the West Coast way back when y'all first started that. Yeah, y'all been doing your thing, and now you got your own show. Y'all, you got the angel of ye day. I'll just say you inspired people like me. I called in a few months back. I had signed a light on myself because I was telling y'all, I was thirty nine, I just started going to college for creative writing, and you had told me that, uh, that was like your original career plan. That was a big, big motivation, you know what I mean. I only had a couple of seconds to talk, but I was like, I listen to this woman every morning, you know what I'm saying. So that's been like feeling my flame to keep going. I just won't let you know I'm stealing school. I got three points big gpa, you know what I mean. And I'm just working and I just want to say thank you for inspiring so many people in so many different ways, like lip service everything, Like you got so many accolades, and I just want to say, man, keep on fielding all of us people that wake up every day and tune.
Speaker 2: In to you. This was so nice. Honestly, this just really won't my heart. Thank you so much. It was tough to come into work today, but you just really set it off for me.
Speaker 5: You know, it'd be like that we don't get to hear that. You know, you don't come on aar and say, oh, I'm dealing with this, So I'm dealing with that. So we don't know, but we see you at one hundred percent every day from our view, So keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Man, so that I kind of paid somebody to do that better. Thank you, guys. You guess me up today, y'all love it.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna tapping in with all man I love y'all.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you, We love you too.
Speaker 2: All right, Well that was shine a light eight hundred and two ninety two fifty one fifty if you couldn't get through. And when we come back, we have your y e T And congratulations to King and TI. Apparently King is expecting a child. Will tell you what TI's reaction was to that news. It's way up, they say in the rooms from industry shade to all of gossip out sending Angelus speeling that EyeT, it's way up with Angela, I'm here and my guy Mano's.
Speaker 1: Here of course, right baby, of course. And let's talk about t I now.
Speaker 2: He was in Atlanta at the radio station and he was talking about basically King having a child on the way.
Speaker 1: Here's what he had to say.
Speaker 3: King's about to have a son, and I told him, I will.
Speaker 6: Raise this child to torture you the way you tortured me.
Speaker 3: Promise you, they will be an indictment in this young one.
Speaker 1: Listen. That is always.
Speaker 2: I know when people have bad kids, all they do is hope that your kids are the same where you were.
Speaker 6: So Tip always knew that King was going to be like kind of a little bad because he was when he was young.
Speaker 3: He was Yeah, he was wild. It was always always.
Speaker 2: So let's see what's going to happen now that he's having his own child. Man, that's sometimes that's the worst, Like when your parents are like, Man, I hope one day you have a kid to ask.
Speaker 3: Just like you. Time is fun. How old is King? What? Twenty?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I can't believe he's that old.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, shout out to him for that. Congratulations.
Speaker 2: Glorrela was honest with the key to the city of MEMPHISO shout out to her, all right. She said, Memphis made me phrase and raise me got the key to my city.
Speaker 1: Kruber, And let's talk about your guy, Mace.
Speaker 2: He's lost seventy pounds, and of course Cameron had some jokes about him, you know, getting the ozempeg.
Speaker 1: But here's what he said he did. In order to lose all the weight.
Speaker 7: You lost seventy pounds, you took the needle.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 7: I signed up with this coach named Ricky Moore that sounds like a professional bodybuilder, and he just put me on an alkalin diet. So I went, I'm only eating fruit, vegetable and water for now.
Speaker 3: Alkaline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look at you you let.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the right thing though, what the alkalin?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, fruits, vegetables and water. And we were just sitting here talking about how we need to beat obesity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, detail everything right now.
Speaker 2: We had a lot going on, all right, And federal authorities are investigating Ditty. They're going to possibly get a criminal indictment against him, and yes, so it's really really happening. They've issued a new Grand Jerry subpoena related to a hotel in Florida, and both Didty And and Daphney Joy are named in the subpoena. So that's you know, fifty cents Child's mother. And there's other associates of Bad Boy Entertainment as well. Who are named, and the subpoena specifies the period from January first, two thousand and eight, to the present, and they want check in and check out dates, room numbers, guest preferences and requests, and building information including room service and all of those things.
Speaker 3: See, they're not letting up until they're able to come with something.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, Diddy's been named so far in eight civil lawsuits accusing him of sex trafficking, sexual assault, and physical abuse, and five of the suits have pending motions to dismiss them.
Speaker 1: So this is a long road ahead for ditty.
Speaker 2: All right, Well that is your yet when we come back, we have about last night. That's where we discussed what we did last night.
Speaker 3: Had a long last night.
Speaker 2: It felt like a whole one long twenty day night. All right, it's way up at Angela yee. About last night is next night?
Speaker 4: So about last night?
Speaker 1: Yes, I went down. It's way up at Angela yee.
Speaker 2: I'm here, my guys here, and it's time for about last night.
Speaker 3: Last night.
Speaker 2: I saw you this weekend, Yeah, yes you did. It was Angela Yee.
Speaker 3: Day, Yes you did.
Speaker 1: It was on Sunday, the day before Labor Day.
Speaker 3: I had to pull up for you.
Speaker 1: Yes you did. You just made it.
Speaker 3: Because nobody gave me no information.
Speaker 1: We've been talking about this past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I need it enough times, Like you know, like what time should I be there? You know, I know you realized that, like like.
Speaker 2: A little you made a grand entrance. But it was a lot going on. I was trying to manage a lot of different things. Some of my friends flew into town. Everybody was saying it. There was literally ten people at my house staying there. It was like a NonStop party at my house all weekend. But you know what that means. It's a mess. Yeah, it's a mess right now, get over there. Yes, and this is my new brownstone that is still a mess. There's a lot of work still being done. One of the bathrooms still isn't finish, a lot of things still aren't done. But it's livable and it's it's still nice.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love my house.
Speaker 3: It was a great time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had a good time.
Speaker 2: So I do want to say, right like last night, I'm gonna tell you exactly what I did yesterday.
Speaker 1: Laundry all day.
Speaker 2: I had to change all the sheets, I had to wash everything, I had to wash a lot of dishes. And the problem I'm having right now is all the bottle water that I bought and all these half drank bottle waters all over the place, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I think I had like a bunch of bottles looking like this.
Speaker 2: I had some, yes, everywhere. What a waste. And people need to start writing their names. Yeah, you need to write your name on your bottle water when you're at people's houses and there's a lot of you, so that you're not just throwing It felt like such a waste, all of that plastic.
Speaker 3: Get where you put your bottle and oh what was that mine?
Speaker 6: Oh no, give me, give me another one.
Speaker 2: And then the other thing I was doing was budgeting my accounts because you know, I ended up paying for a lot of different things to happen. So that was a lot. But shout out to everyone that came out to Angela. You da, we're gonna talk more about it. Shout out to the Grill and the grill We went to the Negrill after party, when I tell you, first of all, they gave me so much food to go, so the next morning it was great to have all that food in the house, you know, know, Rowlings.
Speaker 1: He was staying at my house too. That's my guy.
Speaker 2: He flew in just for Angela y day and then we all went to the grill afterward, and what a.
Speaker 1: Time a time was had.
Speaker 2: Everybody here in this room was there shout out to DJ.
Speaker 1: Navy DJ next day.
Speaker 2: He hates being called Navy, but anyway, he was djaying. One of my friends today was like, Nick, really shut it down. He's underrated as a DJ.
Speaker 3: All right, you're gonna get his propers.
Speaker 1: Well, that is about last night.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we are going to tell you all of the details of what happened with ye Day, all of the different performances that were really exciting, all the people that we met while we were there, people who showed up.
Speaker 1: Her was in the building. She came last year.
Speaker 2: As well, and she came to the after party the gir I love her all right, we'll talk about it.
Speaker 1: It's way up.
Speaker 4: It's way up with Angela.
Speaker 8: Ye.
Speaker 2: Let's go on.
Speaker 3: You are a media maven, right.
Speaker 6: You never know what Ange's gonna say.
Speaker 1: It's way up with Angela.
Speaker 3: Yee.
Speaker 1: I'm here, Mayno's here.
Speaker 2: Mayas right and shout out to Manna with all his help for Angela ye day.
Speaker 1: You know you pulled up as.
Speaker 6: You do coming off my extravagant birthday, you know, maino day.
Speaker 2: But I want to shout out to everybody who performed. Deannidy A kicked it off and Pressure was there with her. I mean Fresher when I say Pressure. Fresher was there with her too. You know he works with her. But she was on time, on point, ready to go set it off. Jason Swishes was there. My girl Layla performed and she got an album coming out on Friday to Gap year, so I appreciate this. She was in the building, breezy limb and she definitely bought some dances to come up on stage from the audience nice, including a lot of Keys's daughter.
Speaker 1: You gotta see my makeup artists.
Speaker 3: Keys.
Speaker 2: Her daughter was killing it with the dances. Akiya was there and we also all went to the grill afterwards. Mali Don Mali Dan jumped out in the audience and had them going crazy.
Speaker 1: TJ.
Speaker 2: He had everyone doing a drift dance even backstage.
Speaker 3: While I can't get it, everyone was getting I can't get it.
Speaker 2: They kind of showed you how because it was definitely like a practice session going on pressure bus pipe from the US V I was in the building.
Speaker 1: Shi was there, and.
Speaker 2: You know she hates when we say this is methad Man's daughter, but that's shy. And she came out there with her dancers and was killing it. And of course we close it out with my guy Mano jumped out and ran on the stage right when the whole thing was ending. But we appreciate it. And Dinelle Rowlings was with me the whole time. When I went on stage, he was ready to First it goes to me, I don't have to do any comedy, I have to do anything.
Speaker 1: I said, no, you could just come say hi. Next thing.
Speaker 2: You know, He's like, all right, do you have time to do a set or do you have I'm like, you just said.
Speaker 1: You didn't want to do anything.
Speaker 2: But you know he's a good time always, and of course the music was lit the whole time. DJ Nori, DJ Dangles, DJ Will and.
Speaker 1: Our very own maybe DJ Nixon.
Speaker 2: And as usual, shout out to our responses because this can't happen without them. The US Virgin Islands was there visit USBI naturally in a rhythm. I know you're gonna go because there are families from there. Yes, yes, yes, yes, also eight hundred pain Law. You know we'd be needing em lawyers at times and we don't know where to turn us. Army New York City Recruiting Command. They were there. They're always supportive. Wicked the musical on Broadway, which is a play I've seen more than once on Broadway. Mercer and Prince. That's asat Rocky's Whiskey that we've been drinking non stop, and they were at Negrill with us afterward as well. Valentino Beauty, which is right here born in Roma by Valentino Brooklyn Dumpling Shop because why wouldn't they be there? So I had my dumplings with my topsticks and everything, and then backstays. The food was provided by Negrill Bka and Kizzi's Kitchen, Deserts by Kizzie's Kitchen, and she bought the whole family out to which was nice to see her daughter, her mom, all of them having a good time.
Speaker 1: It was really just a great way to have.
Speaker 2: Safe fun before the parade, all right, And I want to thank the whole staff up here, Nikki, Paul Chavia, David Festo, Camden, Caitlin Danny, Justin, Alyssa, Brittany, Petrina, Wendy, Abby, Tara, Melanie, Sammy, everybody who helped out. Of course, our digital team JP and Sid Sidney. It was nice to see them in the building. And Greg Bishop from the Social from Social Justice Fund for being there and his whole team for helping us out. We wear numerous zoom calls. All right, my girl Paris Destiny, my guy Meeks. Also we had tozz Gibson's truck out there. Ice cream truck. Oh wow, So we appreciate that. And my girl Chelsea, who really held it down, booking all the artists and coordinating everything. I always tell her what she does has been amazing. She just always wants to help. So we love you, Chelsea, and thank you you guys for coming out, because that's what Angelaye Day was all about, is for y'all to have some good, free safe fund.
Speaker 1: With the whole family.
Speaker 2: All right, Well when we come back, well you have ut man. I don't even know if I want to get into drama after that. Let's do all positive things when we come back. We'll save the drama for later, Okay, all right, his way up, yo, She about to blow the.
Speaker 4: Lead ab off this, but let's get it.
Speaker 3: Angelus villain that yea te come and get the.
Speaker 1: Tea, all right?
Speaker 2: His way up at Angela, Yee, I'm here, Maino's here, So let's get into this yet, all right for real?
Speaker 1: Williams has a new movie.
Speaker 2: It's a new movie about his life and it's told entirely using lego. He also produced the movie too, by the way, and so it's called it's called Piece by Piece and it's using the Lego bricks. It depicts his early life in Virginia through to his rise to fame. People are saying it's really nice and it's going to be considered for the Best Animated Feature and Best Original Song categories, in particular because he also recorded five new tracks for the soundtrack, so that should be an interesting one to see. They said, is it a documentary, a biopic and animated movie, a musical, a character study, you bet?
Speaker 1: And more?
Speaker 2: And they said it's been put together to perfection, all right. USA Gymnastics is very proud of both Simonbiles and Jordan Childs, and they showed that on Friday after the Houston Astros honored them against the Kansas City Royals. So they were given uh Simone Bobs was given the honor of throwing the ceremonial first pitch, and Jordan Childs got a huge round of applause when she was shown on the jumbo tron and USA Gymnastics wrote though, these two hit it out of the park and so they were recognized again before the Astros game. That's that's nice. I know Jordan Child's needs that love and support. She's been through a lot.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Future is teasing his upcoming project, mixtape Pluto, with a big announcement on Instagram. He shared smartwork for the mixtape and a snippet of a new single is called Lil Demon.
Speaker 9: Sharing Team.
Speaker 1: All right, what you think.
Speaker 3: It sounded a right though. I mean we can't go wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can't go wrong with some Future.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, another person who can't go wrong is Eminem. He broke fifty million Pure albums sold in the United States.
Speaker 1: He has made history.
Speaker 2: He is the first rapper to ever reach this milestones and Pure albums is physical album sold, so it doesn't include digital download, streaming or anything. It's the actual physical copies.
Speaker 3: So this is the last album.
Speaker 2: No, just in general, he's the first rapper to ever have sold over fifty million pure album sales in the United States. That's huge because people are and especially now, people aren't buying right albums like that. All right, and we're waiting to get some information on Travis Scott's Days Before Rodeo, the re release of the mixtape is in a tight race with Sabrina Carpenter is short and sweet. They are saying that his mixtape, his breakthrough mixtape, Days Before Rodeo, is set to debut at the number one spot, selling three hundred and sixty five thousand first week units.
Speaker 1: Imagine that.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let's see there's no decision yet on the Billboard two hundred results. But he's in a really really tight race with Sabrina Carpenter. They're within one to two thousand units of each other for number one. All right, well that is your ut when we come back. We have under the radar. These are the stories that are not necessarily in the headlines. They're flying under the radar, but you definitely need to know about them.
Speaker 1: Anyway. It's way up at Angela.
Speaker 4: Yee god, yeah, news this in the news that relates to you. These stories are flying under the radar.
Speaker 2: All right, it's way up at Angela. Yee, I'm here, Maino's here. This indeed, and let's get into these under the radar stories. Now, this one was definitely trending for days. Chase Bank is warning against using that system glitch that happened to try to get money. So the way this is working is people were trying to withdraw more money than they actually had in the account. There was a banking system delay. So imagine you put in a check in your bank account, right, you know, you don't have money, it's a fake check or whatever. But there was a delay and that being processed, so people were able to withdraw that money because of that delay, and before the check could.
Speaker 3: Bounce, they knew that the system was off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they knew the system was off.
Speaker 2: That's why there were lines of people at the ATM machines. Now, Chase did say in a statement that they fixed this problem and they said the trend was in fact just a simple, just simple check fraud. They said, we are aware of this incident and it has been addressed. Regardless of what you see online, depositing a fraudulent check and withdrawing the funds from your account is fraud.
Speaker 1: Plain and simple.
Speaker 2: So we don't know how many customers try to do this yet, but you'll be in trouble.
Speaker 3: Because they know you did it, like in your account.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know why anybody would think this is something you'd get away with, all right, Thousands of Hilton Height and Marriotte hotel workers are on strike across the country. They want better wages and workloads and a reversal of COVID nineteen era. You know, during the pandemic, there were a lot of cuts that were made. When you stayed at a hotel, they weren't coming to clean the room like that. You had to request special services. Well, they're saying now a lot of things that God take that took place during COVID have not been re implemented, and so people are taking advantage of that. In these hotels are making record amounts of money, but not passing that money down to the guests and to the people that work there those standard services that you're supposed to get. They said, we won't accept a new normal where hotel companies profit by cutting their offerings to guests and abandoning their commitments to workers. So each city strike is expected to last up to three days, but they're saying this could spread to twenty five to many different states, and right now it's in twenty five hotels and nine cities across the country. So just giving y'all a heads up if you're traveling and going anywhere.
Speaker 1: And lastly, a heads up about this.
Speaker 2: Instagram has added stories comments to encourage interaction, so you can comment on stories and people can see them. So you could always comment on posts, but now you know how you'd be sending like the little hard eyes or the egg plan emoji to somebody's story. I didn't mean you in general, but yeah, so now people can see that. Just the f YI giving you all heads up. All right, Well that is your under the radar now you know. We got the way Up mix at the top of the hour. What's today's date, September third? All right, bills are still due, so I know the holiday past. Make sure you take care of that. And also, Sonya Kristna Murthy is going to be joining us. She's the author of Fashion Killer, but she's also a journalist who's been at this for quite a long time.
Speaker 1: This is just her first book.
Speaker 2: She's got another one on the way about Rockefeller records, but always makes for interesting conversation. And like she says, she doesn't get paid by any of these artists are labels, so she says whatever she thinks.
Speaker 1: It's way up with Angela. Yee.
Speaker 2: It's a tout like they Angelie Jane, like they a Jelie Jane.
Speaker 4: Man, she's spilling it all. This is ye way.
Speaker 1: Well, my goodness is way up with Angela ye ye. And let's get into the et.
Speaker 2: We've been following this story and I actually looked at a lot of what Cleo chap I had to say and also a lot of what Ice Spice had to say about each other. It's sad because the two of them were really good friends, it felt like at one point, right, but they had a big falling out and it's all playing out on social.
Speaker 3: Media as it always does.
Speaker 2: Now, just to give you all a summary, apparently, Ice Spice invited Cleo Chappa to come on tour with her, and it was a day before the tour that she actually invited her.
Speaker 1: Ice Spice said that they ended up having an extra.
Speaker 2: Tour bus so they had more room and she was trying to help give her a platform.
Speaker 1: Here is what Ice Spice had to say.
Speaker 10: And this is sad because I genuinely was trying to help her, Like I'm like, yo, do you want to just come on this tour? You know what I'm saying, Like you could just like join like mad last minute type.
Speaker 11: So I'm like, oh, let.
Speaker 10: Me see if Cleo wants to come, so she could do like her songs and stuff like that. But that's what the guy get for trying to be a good person.
Speaker 2: All right, Well it all sounds like it started off with good intentions, right, But according to Kleo Trappa, she said that she was given one day to prepare, she was not included in tour promo, She was mistreated by Ice Spice, She was forced to change in the bathroom, She had to pay for her own hotel rooms, even though she says that Ice Spice was like I got you. You don't have to worry about it. And she didn't get paid for it, which I don't think she expected. But I guess she at least wanted to be able to get some type of hotel rooms, you know, taking care of at the minimum.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's rough, it's rough, she to all.
Speaker 6: Life is rough, especially when you open it act.
Speaker 2: So I get it, but I guess she wanted some acknowledgment too. She said she made her own flyer, posted it, tagged her, she didn't repost it. Now here's what Cleo Trapper had to say, because she did like a five part series on what happened.
Speaker 12: I got a s that she just wanted me to struggle. Well, I didn't know what y'all later learned. After bringing up everything I went through to her, I learned that this situation where I said something about my bags was the reason why I got mistreated the entire tour after that.
Speaker 2: So she was trying to get security to help her with her bags and they told her no. Right, And there's a lot to this, and so I see a lot of people picking side.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a lot to it though, But the thing is is that they friend. So the expectation of being a friend is looked at differently when you're doing business. You know, it's people that pay to be on tours.
Speaker 2: Well, I will say that Cleo Trapper said they weren't necessarily friends. They never hung out like there's some chill just you know, it was always something for the blog. So she even said that Ice Spice would hang out with her come to this game and then the next day she'll put out a single and that would be like promo you know, is showing her out. And about now, another person who Ice Spice fell out with has weighed in on all of this. If you guys recall, she posted the text messages between her and Ice Spice, and she also now posted what she sent to Cleochrapper.
Speaker 1: She said, I tried to warn you, and you just threatened to beat me up.
Speaker 2: Nevertheless, I'm sorry that happened to you. That was Babystorm to Cleochrapper, and then cleo Chrapper responded, oh, I threatened to beat you up because she was doing all that because it was mad at Ice.
Speaker 1: It didn't give you had any respect for me.
Speaker 2: But you really could have DM me from the jump with that whole situation if you was on some real bet ish word. But thank you, And that's actually from today, those text messages.
Speaker 3: This is right here, this is in a real time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is all you know, it's all unfolding, and I'm sure we're here a lot more. You know, what's really tough is when things play out in public instead of just behind the scenes between the two of you. But Cleo Trapper says she tried to go to her and say that she felt like she was being mistreated, and then Ice Spice said that she was talentless and slew of other things that I guess you wouldn't say to somebody that was your friend.
Speaker 1: So I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: What's gonna end up happening between the two of them, but fight, I don't know if it's, you know, worth a fight more than I'm never messing with you again, because it doesn't feel like anything is physical. It just feels like business slash friendship situations. All right, Well, we'll see what ends up happening. But now it's out there. Now it's for the public to see. Everybody's wing in on it, and that is your Yet when we come back, we have asked Yee eight hundred two ninety two fifty one fifty any question you have, We definitely want to help you out. You know, Mano is an award winning advice giver.
Speaker 1: Can we never fall out like I?
Speaker 2: Spicy Cleo Chapel, I can't do that, all right, good, I don't want I don't want us to, all right, ask ye is next eight hundred two ninety two fifty one fifty with.
Speaker 4: It's relationship for career advice, Angela's dropping facts.
Speaker 1: This is ask ye what's up? His way up? But Angela yee, I'm Angela Ye.
Speaker 2: My guy Meinos the award winning advice giving Mano and we have an ask ye call let me gel on the line.
Speaker 1: What's up, Miguel, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Guys?
Speaker 9: Get afternoon?
Speaker 5: Have Tuesday?
Speaker 2: Well, Tuesday is going up on a Tuesday. It's actually not. But migeah, what's your question for? Ask you?
Speaker 9: Why are people so setting their ways when it comes to politics. I've been trying to navigate with my friends for the last like months and some change, or really since Kamala rights to the top of the ticket, Ask so why they want to vote for Trump? And the reasons that they always give me has been already debunked and proved that.
Speaker 1: It's not true.
Speaker 9: And it's getting to a point where I'm not going to lose a friend over it. But it does get very frustrated.
Speaker 2: I can understand your pain. In general, all you can do is give the facts. It is really hard to talk about politics with people who are on the opposite side of what you think. Right, A lot of people are set in their ways. A lot of people here misinformation and think that it's true. And I think a lot of it also depends on what news you watch. Right, Do you have friends that are Trump supporters?
Speaker 3: May know I do. My God, Danny drows me he loves Trump.
Speaker 6: But you got to know understand that everybody's not going to see things the same way that you do, and you can't go out and try to over convince them to see it from your point of view.
Speaker 3: You got to allow people to live the way they want to live.
Speaker 2: But I think having facts is important, right because it's not even like see things how I see it. It's also when somebody says something that's not true, I like to calmly just and I've done this before. I had an uber driver once that was talking to me about Donald Trump, and you know all the why he supports him, and he was saying things that were not true.
Speaker 3: And then when you give him the facts and the still choose to overlook.
Speaker 1: The facts, can say you go.
Speaker 2: But all I can do is just be like, well, actually that's not true and this is what it is. But you know, I can't tell anybody what to do. I do tell people make sure you're registered to vote, make sure you know what's going on. I care a lot about local politics and what's happening directly that impacts men in my region. But I do think that don't knock yourself out arguing with somebody who's not going to change their mind.
Speaker 6: I don't like to talk about these things because I get angry, you understand, and they stop your friend, and then it could escalate to something else.
Speaker 3: I'll stay away from it.
Speaker 1: Politics.
Speaker 2: They always say that that's a hard thing to have to discuss with somebody you love and somebody who's close to you when you guys don't agree on it.
Speaker 1: But sometimes you just have to agree to disagree.
Speaker 2: And I think as long as you can stick to the facts and know you believe what you believe and support what you support, and there's reality and then there's lies, and so let's stick with the reality of what things are and make sure you're informed, because there's a lot of uninformed people that will say anything and that repeating things that they see on the headlines, that they see, you know, on social media, and they don't have the real facts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, thank you guys forgetting my car.
Speaker 9: Really appreciate it and I love the topic, so please keep talking.
Speaker 2: About it, all right, Thank you, Micheal. We appreciate you well. Anyway, that was ask ye eight hundred two nine two fifty one fifty if you couldn't get through.
Speaker 1: And when we come back.
Speaker 2: This is somebody who reports the facts, som Ya Krishna Murthy. She has a book guy right now called Fashion Killer, quite an interesting book that gives a lot of facts and a lot of background information on today's fashion and hip hop. She has another book that she's working on about Rockefeller Records, but we're going to talk to her about Fashion Killer when we come back.
Speaker 1: It's way up at Angela Yee.
Speaker 4: You ing way up with Angela Yee.
Speaker 1: More Now, what's up as way up at Angela Yee.
Speaker 2: I'm here, Jasmine Brand is here, and I'm ready for this journalism talk with some of the Krishna Murthy in the building. I call you Somya k all the time because that's your name on social media.
Speaker 11: We've known each other a long time since the blog era.
Speaker 2: Yes, Sony and I have known each other for quite some time. And what I love is that you've been so consistent and also evolving with your journalism. And unafraid to say certain things that some people may play it politically correct.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a great thing when you're not on a rapper's payroll, you can basically say whatever you want. But you know, for me, was important as somebody who's been in the industry for going to age myself about fifteen years now and being a journalist, you start out with those small little pieces like a double Excel or the source, and over time you want to evolve. So for me, it was really important with my first book, Fashion Killer, that I did something that an important story about hip hop and fashion that chronicles hip hop in a way that I think, you know, gives it that prestige element which I think is so missing sometimes in journalism.
Speaker 2: Well, Fashion Killer and look, I was giving you some of this America and Prince this is aset Racky's whiskey and only makes sense because obviously Fashion Killer is an aset Raky song.
Speaker 8: It is It is the famous song where I think he named checks about like twenty six different labels. And at the time it was so funny because although aceps from Harlem, he dressed like he's from Soho. He sounded like he was from Houston. So he really represented this kind of like pan regional artist, and I think that is also the story of hip hop and fashion. Of course it's a New York story, but there's elements of Atlanta in LA and Miami, but also Paris.
Speaker 11: When we're talking about like oak.
Speaker 8: Kature, it should, of course I go through the whole, like Coco Chanel story, the car Lagerfell story, we're talking about street Where, the Japanese story. And to me, it was just showing hip hop has this global impact and even though I don't think it always gets the respect that it deserves Like this is why books like this I think are important to show people maybe who don't understand the music or the culture, what the contribution is.
Speaker 2: Right now, my dad's mind brand and we are talking to Daring of this, Somya Christnamurthy, so he has the book fastened Kayla out right now.
Speaker 8: But there was you know, so many like different stories from you know, Tupac walking the Versace show right before he passed away, Biggie being the first rapper to wear Babe, I'm sorry, Soldier boy, it was not you.
Speaker 11: I'm sorry, Little Way and it was not you.
Speaker 8: It's between Biggie and the Beastie Boys, and after all my research, I'm gonna give it to Biggie because he there's a great story and I actually have the picture in the book.
Speaker 11: Right before he passed, he had.
Speaker 8: Done a photo shoot and the photographer Sean Mortensen was like, Hey, I know this guy Nigo, and he has a brand called Babe. Can you put on this hoodie? It was too small for Biggie, so he draped it over him almost like a gape, so it looks like he's wearing it almost like a blazer. Sean takes the picture and sends it to Nego and apparently Biggie was so excited he wanted to get Bape in his sizes because they just didn't make it in the big size. But sadly he passed away before that happened. So so many of these iconic artists that we know them for one thing, we don't realize they were so instrumental in the world of fashion.
Speaker 2: And I remember you also in the book talked about how when the Roots did the song what they Do, Yeah, he was personally offended because that song What They Do was all about how people in the industry really front and wear certain things and separate commercialism.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I interviewed Questlove and he talked about that, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Sonya.
Speaker 3: CHRISN.
Speaker 2: Murphy is here with us. Her book, Fashion Killer is out right now. We have more with her and the Dasmond brand when we come back. It's way up with Angela.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 4: It's way up with Angela ye.
Speaker 3: Let's go. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Are media maven right?
Speaker 4: You never know what AND's gonna say what's up?
Speaker 1: His way up? But Angela yee, I'm here.
Speaker 2: Dad's mind brand is here and we're talking to Somya christ Namert, the author of Fashion Killer.
Speaker 1: Do you put out a tweet and people were.
Speaker 11: I'm always tweeting and people are yelling at me. I love it.
Speaker 8: You mentioned that you worked there before and you had never when when Puffy was married, I'm not married with dating Cathy, you had never saw anything alarming.
Speaker 1: And people were upset. They were like, why was he even write this at all?
Speaker 8: Because I think and again the problem with social media is there's zero nuance and it's whatever you put out there and how it's open interpretation.
Speaker 11: And for me and I did a follow up tweet to explain, so we didn't say that one.
Speaker 1: We didn't need to follow Yeah, no, nobody ever. I just wanted to hear it explain it.
Speaker 8: But the reason I said that is because I'll be honest, I've had a lot of conversations behind the scenes with people in the industry, very powerful people when the allegations against Puff first happened. And this isn't just Puffy, it's even other people, whether it's R. Kelly, you know a variety people Russell Simmons oftentimes, especially you know men in the industry, will Well, I never saw it, and because.
Speaker 11: I didn't see it, it didn't happen.
Speaker 8: Even when I speak to some women, that's the mentality, Well, I knew that person and they were nice to me, so there's no way they can be a monster. And the reason I said that, and I said it in the tweet, just because I didn't see it. We still must listen to alleged victims. People have multiple sides, and how somebody acts at work, let's say, in a board meeting, is very different how they act with the romantic partner. And I do think one reason that we haven't seen a need to reckoning and hip hop. So many people their first response is well, I didn't see.
Speaker 2: It, because I will say, and I always say this to people. I know people who have been awful to me, they've been great to other people.
Speaker 11: And vice versa.
Speaker 2: Right now, my dad's and brand and we are talking to journal thisis Sonya Christna Murthy.
Speaker 1: He has a book fashioned Kayla out right.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: How do you handle that when somebody was let's say, somebody was great to you, but they've been awful to other people? Yeah, how do you then treat that person? Is it just based off of how they tweeted you? Or is it like I can't really be around that anymore because I know what they're capable of.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, you know, I think it's very difficult if there's actual allegations or there is something where it's publicly been discussed. I think that's one thing versus behind closed doors. I've spoken to women who say so and so did this to me, or so and so maybe me uncomfortable, but I'm not ready to come forward and that's definitely peace and for us. I don't think that's my place then to tell their story. So personally, I mean, and I'm very kind of lucky in this place in my career. I just try to like distance myself as much as possible, but it's also tricky too write. What is the line between an allegation versus a conviction? How do you deal with gossip?
Speaker 2: But even if there's not a conviction, that doesn't mean it didn't happen to And even if there's a conviction, that doesn't mean it. It's just a grey area. I want to move on and talk about this next book please, because you're so you're doing a book about Rockefeller. Yeah, is everybody? I'm bored to do this, Like I know you've spoken to Damon in this book.
Speaker 8: All the founders know about it, and that was okay. So bigs, Jay Z and Kaream knows. Jay's team knows, Dame's team knows. And for me, it's not like I believe in transparency. It's not like some sort of gotcha moment. But for me again, after Fashion Killer, which is the first hip hop fashion anthology, I realize like for my next book, I want to tell these important hip hop stories and tell them in a way that's not being told.
Speaker 11: Rockefeller is like the hip hop blue chip company.
Speaker 8: I want this book to be taught in like college courses, like what can we learn from them? So yes of course, it's like the history of the stories, but I want it through that lens, not just like gossip or he said, he said.
Speaker 11: What are we thinking that next? I know we're promoting this, but what do we think in a timeline? How you sound like my editor?
Speaker 8: Ideally I wanted to drop in twenty twenty six because it's the thirtieth anniversary.
Speaker 11: You're a reasonable out.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. But listen, Fashion Killer is available now.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much, and you got to come back up and see us more frequently anytime you can west that foot and if you on my YouTube channel Way Up with Dandiela ye. And when we come back, you guys have the last word.
Speaker 4: Take up the phone tapping to get your voice heard with the words, he's the last word on Way Up with Angela Yee?
Speaker 1: What's eppens with with Angela?
Speaker 7: Yee?
Speaker 2: I'm here, Mano's here, all right? Well again, thank you to everybody who came out for Angela ye day. Thank you Mano for always being on points always, my girl Melissa from the Grill for making sure we had an amazing after party. All right, Well again, you guys appreciate y'all so much. I know it's a Tuesday. We're all still recovering from the weekend. Thank you again to some your Christian murthy for joining us. That for an interview is on my YouTube channel. Way Up with Ye and y'all have the last word.
Speaker 5: Angel Leyee, what's going on? It's your boy, Yoshi's from the brook. I'm gonna shine a light on you. Continue doing what you're doing.
Speaker 7: And Happy d Day man, it's.
Speaker 5: The Burgo thing. My birthday of to day to Burgo Nation. My dad used to whoop me and I was a bad little kid, but he had got paralyzed on I was four and that's when when the whooping stopped because I would run to the third or fourth steps on the staircase and.
Speaker 3: Just kind of, you know, taught him and stuff.
Speaker 9: But I got my car.
Speaker 5: But don't don't worry.
Speaker 1: Up with Angela is on