Speaker 1: I am all in again. Oh, let's kiss you.
Speaker 2: I am all in again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all in Podcast one eleven productions, iHeartRadio Media and iHeart Podcasts. And today we are recapping season one episode seven, Kiss and Tell, and I am joined by a major part of my in traffid crew, Suzanne French. Welcome Susanne. Nice to see you again. How are you?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 4: Good to see you too.
Speaker 1: And big things coming. We just have some wonderful meetings with iHeart people and Warner Brothers people. And about the live podcast December eighteenth. If you haven't picked up your tickets yet for the streaming, go to veeps dot com slash I Am all in and get your streaming tickets. They're gonnlike hotcakes. Let's synopsize and get into this pre terrific episode.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Seasan, Okay, yeah, this is a this is a fun one. So this is season one episode seven, Kiss and Tell. It aired on November sixteenth, two thousand. Dean kisses Rory for the first time, and though she's hesitant to tell her mom, Lane's mother reveals it when Laurel Life visits the furniture shop. Meanwhile, the townsfolk pester Luke for not decorating his coffee shop for Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: And director Rodman Flender and written by Jenji Cohan. So this is a non Palladino written episode, non directed Palladino episode, very very interesting. We are waiting for Michael Winters, who played Taylor Docie. He will be joining us, hopefully, hopefully. Uh, but Suzanne and I have very tight schedules and we got to go, go, go, go, go go go. So here we go. All right. We start out at Luke's diner and Taylor is really stressed that Luke won't decorate his diner for the holidays. Uh, Suzanne, what did you think of this? I I I thought it was a terrific opening, and really it's the spirit of the show. It was great.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is the first time that we see Taylor, and so it's just yet another uh, you know, one of the characters in the fabric of the town. So we've we've met Kirk, We've met miss Patty. You know, it's it's just like a new layer, you know, kind of in that in that parfait of stars.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: So I thought it was a great scene.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: It was funny, you know, the whole underwear thing, and and Luke finishes the scene with don't sit on any cold benches. Like I just it was great. It was a great opening.
Speaker 1: I thought it was the right amount. It wasn't Luke being too angry at Taylor, just a bit annoyed. And you know, for me, that was the that's the right temperature for this show. If it gets anymore, I kind of like that's a little much there, but really funny. And Lauren was funny with waiving the dollar you who, the cuts back. It was just it was just kind of a perfect opening scene. Yeah. I think the funny line coming out of that is Rory blairing out my mom's not wearing any underwhere. It's not your typical sort of small town show, is it, right, Just filled with quippi great lines. All right, now, why don't you take this one? This is the kiss, So go ahead and take this one.
Speaker 4: Okay. So then it goes to the market, and I think, we don't we don't maybe well maybe we do. We don't know that that's Taylor's market. Like we've we've had scenes in the market before, but we haven't had any tailor scenes. So now we go to the market. There's a funny little thing about pop versus soda, cute little thing, and then he's got the soda cans in his hand. He just leaned forward, leans forward and kisses her and kind of like knocks her off for access a little bit. And then we have you know, that iconic corn starch scene where she's she's she shop lifts the cornstarch, and then I loved that scene. So talking about how this was a different director, there was some really interesting camera work in this episode that we did not see in other episodes. And so there was that really good shot of her running across the square. She runs from the market all the way across the square to missus Kim's antiques in a single take, like in a single shot, and I thought that was pretty cool because the whole time I'm thinking, so that must that must mean like there's no track or anything. So the cameraman is running also.
Speaker 1: So they can set up a railroad track for the camera, but it was kind of a long shot. Steady cam. Steve was one of the best steady cam guys around. You know, Steve Clancy and yeah, maybe it was a steady cam Steve shot because she.
Speaker 4: The distance that she runs, I don't know how they could have done it on a track or even like with a crane, like without you seeing something. I mean, it literally was like all the way across. So I just loved that, and I you know, hopefully for Alexis's sake, they got it in one or two takes so she didn't have to keep running.
Speaker 1: Years old, she had plenty of wind, let me tell you. Yeah, and we're going to be joined now by uh, Michael Winters. He's in the waiting room, so he's gonna come in. We're talking about Rory running across the town square where a dean has just kissed.
Speaker 4: And yeah, that's just an iconic scene that sets the whole rest of the season in motion.
Speaker 3: Kiss.
Speaker 1: You know, these first couple of episodes, these first seven episodes so far, there's a lot of footage taken out of these first seven episodes for the title sequence of the show. I've noticed, and you know, there's three or four shots just like like just from episode six, that wonderful episode six, there's a couple there's some really iconic scenes, you know, edited into the the title sequences. Yeah, so just just wonderful stuff. Wonderful stuff. And then she, you know, she runs headlong into uh, you know, where does she go when she's all at Twitter?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: She she runs into Lane's come in.
Speaker 4: She heads straight for her best friends, Like that's what sixteen year old girls do?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: She doesn't run to her mother. She runs to her best friend and kind of got caught off guard by missus Kim being there. And when she appears out of nowhere and says, who kissed you?
Speaker 1: Is that? Michael Winners?
Speaker 2: That is hello, sir, Hi, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great, You're looking fantastic. Thank you so much for joining us too. It's been too long, my friend.
Speaker 2: I know it is.
Speaker 1: I hope you're doing well. Yeah, you're in good spirits. You're looking fantastic. And we're into the uh we're into the episode now, yeah, I hear you. So we're at the point where Dean kisses Rory and then Rory runs into missus Kim. What do you what do you like it? What do you think about the episode so far? Michael?
Speaker 2: Oh, I think it's great and I think that shot is particularly cool, that traveling shot. That follows her all the way right right, it's movie time, not TV. It's it's really cool.
Speaker 1: That's got to be a steady camp shot, don't you think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, yeah, it's very it works, it's very steady, and it's it's a great for early in the the whole series. It's great to see that much of the town, you know, just in that one shot. It's also familiar to me now you know that there was a time when one question I have about it is, I think there's a scene that we shot that never made it. In my memory of the very first day that I worked, of all times, was me trying to sneak some pumpkins onto the front steps of the cafe and you come out and catch on and we have our first sort of headbutt. And I remember that very clearly because I think it's the first thing I ever shot on that show. Wow, And I was waiting for it, and it never happened, And I must have got cut because I never watched the show originally when it came out, so so I was a little surprised that that that that went away. But I'm sure there's lots of stuff that went away, but that was I do.
Speaker 1: Remember that that would have been a great scene.
Speaker 4: I feel deprived as a viewer.
Speaker 2: It was very short, very small, which was great. It was a great start for me, you know, to just dive in to this not having any idea because when I read the before I auditioned, I read the script for the first show, and I wasn't sure what the comedy level of the of their take was, you know, and so I'm starting in thinking, Okay, what exactly are they looking for. It took me a while to sort of catch on to what the flavor was that they that they wanted. And then somebody's told me early on that what they'd sort of based the idea on wash those crazy thirties comedy movies. Yeah, and those I knew, and that that really gave me a clue. The gen Arthur films, Yeah, all of that, right, and bringing up baby and you know that kind of stuff, right right, right. So so that was my first toe in the water. That seems I was a little surprised it wasn't there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we'll try to unearth it somehow.
Speaker 4: I feel like Taylor is one of those characters that was just firing on all cylinders from the beginning. Like some characters they take a little bit to kind of settle into their role, but Taylor was like spot on from the beginning. So thank you for that because it was.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure how just lucky. I guess, you know, a little while to probably that first episode it was it got clear and you know how nostalgic it is now to look back at all all of that, all the stores and you know, the hole set up there, and thinking back to when it was my first time on there was kind of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of great, really fantastic. All right, So now Rory is with Laane and missus Kim's says, I got kissed, and then missus missus Kim pops up and said, you got kissed.
Speaker 2: Some old furniture, right right.
Speaker 1: And now Rory's a little word to tell Lorelai obviously, so and we're staying in Kim's antiques, uh, to discuss it further with Lreli coming in grabbing her chair after she'd purchased six weeks prior. And one of the most hilarious scenes thus far in season one was between these two, miss Kim and Laurel. I mean, just just take us through at Suzanne.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so Lurlay bought a chair six weeks ago, and much to missus Kim's Dismay, did not take it home with her. She just paid for it and left there. And then missus Kim reveals that Laura that Rory was kissed by the boy in the grocery store. Laurrela, I kind of connected and that yeah, that was that kind of you know, took took her for a loop. And then she left without the chair. Again.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we're supposed to think this, but I thought, you know, in the real uh location, the antique store is about two doors down from Laura's house. M h. If you know that, you know, it's like you could have right behind your.
Speaker 1: Right on the lot at Warner Brothers. Yea, it was two doors down.
Speaker 2: It's all it's all that same block.
Speaker 1: Right right. Miss is Kim just disapproves of lorele I so much. I mean, the way she talks to her that the evil of the kiss is kissing.
Speaker 4: Kissing, you know, where we buy our food.
Speaker 1: But that was the line of this thing, kissing a boy where we buy our foot.
Speaker 2: God, we're going to be poisoned now by the oh so right. She's very funny.
Speaker 1: It's very Oh my goodness, the.
Speaker 2: Own of the whole show is right there. I mean, that's episode six already. But I remember that the pilot wasn't shot on the Warners.
Speaker 1: Lot, right, No, no, Toronto.
Speaker 2: It was in Canada, so that when you look at that episode, it's it doesn't compute because it's another place. So it's really great. I think by episode what six or seven that is we're talking about, you're really getting used to where you're going to spend the next seven years, right.
Speaker 1: Right, the California Golden Lighting. Yeah, yeah, but you can't really do much about and Canada. When we shooting it was you know that it was cloudy, it was a little call, you know, it was fall it was it was what northeastern weather should be like.
Speaker 2: Except on Gilmore Girls. There was. There was just a cartoon in The New Yorker a couple of weeks ago of a guy and his girl walking through a park and leave's falling and everything, and he says to her, don't you just love these Gilmore Girls days? Gilgirls is a punchline. Now, yeah, that's.
Speaker 4: How much it's worked its way into the popular culture exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, so now we have some some what we call kiss chat at Luke's diner, and this is the first Stars hollow Town event. We we really get to see the Pilgrim's outfits that Lane and Roy are wearing, all the decorations around the town. The girls chat and they're giddy. Feeling is very relatable to small town America. And we learned that Lane got set up by her parents, got a kiss on the forehead. That's really the extent of her experience. But you know, and the question is how does Lane know so much about Dean? Right? And and you know Luke is always grumpy, but care's Laurel. I can't stop staring at Rory. Let's go through this a little bit. The two friends dressed as a pilgrim women a very very funny visual. Yeah, yeah, they were.
Speaker 4: They were taking donations or something and so just kind of dressed up for the theme. So that that was that was cute, and that the whole conversation. Having once been a teenage girl myself, I liked that scene because it was cute. It's like, that's the kind of stuff you do with your friends and you chat about boys, and you know, Lane's been talking to Dean's best friend Todd, and we're going to meet him in a later episode. But so she's getting all this intel that she can then tell Rory about about Dean. So that was that was so typical.
Speaker 2: Is this the first episode that Dean is in.
Speaker 4: The pilot?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't go back all the way. I just watched the episode right right. I couldn't. I couldn't place that, you know, in time. I just wondered.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Obviously a lot of interest among the everybody in town. He's always referred to as the new guy, the new guy, the new kid. Yeah, everybody wants to know everything. Well. The funny one I think is when Asuki comes in bringing the pizza and doesn't want to leave, right, she wants a little more uh you know, news before she goes. That was I thought that was very funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean because it's that's a big thing in Rory's life, like this is her first romance. Yeah, you now, the first time she's expressed you know, she's been so studious and bookish and so focused on school and now she's starting to kind of broaden her horizons a little bit. So everybody wants to see what's going on.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: The mom certainly doesn't want when she finds out that there's a boy in the thing, that she doesn't want that to distract from the hull from Rory's typical thing that that's really important to her. Right, having a boyfriend, that's great, but boy, if you got to keep your nose to the grindstone about this.
Speaker 1: Right right, And she's she's lorealized nosing around the market to spy on Dean and look at him.
Speaker 2: How small is town anyway, right, seem to know?
Speaker 1: And then bumps into Luke, you know, Luke scares her from behind and does He's like, just what are you doing? I mean, he's just a kid, he's bagging groceries. He's you know, let's get and he takes her outside and they have that very funny walk and talk up back up to Luke's Yeah, and it just fits so well. I just love their relationship in the beginning because it's just so antagonistic almost but still sort of like, you know, a couple of a guy and a girl hitting each other in the shoulder, you know what I mean. It's like they're really just at that beginning sort of stage where there it's a little bit immature, and they're still kind of like they're talking to each other like they're teenagers almost.
Speaker 2: Until the end of the episode when they actually make a big step forward. It seems like at the very end there the second let us say.
Speaker 4: Right, right, right, And so there's a lot going on in loral ized head.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So during that walk and talk, she's talking about how Dean reminds her of Christopher. She's thinking of her and Rory versus her and her mother, like she's got all these things kind of swirling around in her head, and she's really kind of getting caught in the dichotomy between being Rory's mother and being Rory's friend, and that's kind that's kind of to me was really one of the crux of the whole episode was she was upset from the girlfriend aspect that Rory didn't tell her about the kiss because she wanted to hear all about it, and we see that at the end of the episode. But at the same time, she's like, oh, but she's having a relationship with a boy. I have to be a mother about this too, So she's kind of stuck between those two.
Speaker 1: Roles, right, and Luke you know, saying, you know, look of course she's going to date somebody that looks like Christopher because she's your daughter, you know. That's yeah, why is that shocking? Yes, like he's built like him. And it's like all right, So anyway, now we are getting into this uh, confronting Rory thing where they both could have said something to each other, but there is no lecture from Laura. L I is there, which is a nice not so much a pivot, but I mean they're kind of setting us up for this confrontation that doesn't ever happen, which is nice, right, It's like, oh right, yeah, she is this extraordinary mom. She does want to know why. But the thing is is, since she's an only child, why would she know why? And why not that her own daughter didn't tell her, Because when she was a daughter and she was pregnant, she didn't She didn't tell her own mother, did she, right until the very last minute. So it's like apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Speaker 2: Probably one reason why she's so nervous about it, exactly she hasn't heard oh yeah, exactly to me, it was a little more dire and of course.
Speaker 1: R right right, transferring her experience onto Rory's potential but it's a completely different situations. Didn't going to.
Speaker 4: The worst case scenario, which is not where Rory's at at all?
Speaker 1: Right, No, no, no, not at all.
Speaker 2: Well, I remember it seems like Rory is smart enough to figure that out, you know that that one of her responses is, what do you think I'm going to do? You know? Uh, it's fine, it's fine, you know, nothing's happened.
Speaker 4: You just and Laura, Laurla I had a great line in the scene when Rory says, so there's no lecture, and Laura I said something like, well, no, why did you do it wrong?
Speaker 1: So much good stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she is surprisingly calm and supportive, you know. So all right, So now we're back in Dosie's, uh, with Dean and Laurela I.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, buying buying the snacks.
Speaker 1: For movie night, right there, right, they're buying the snacks, and Roy doesn't really want to go in to see Deane again with her mother, with her mother, right right. She gives guidelines to Laura LI if they go in, right right, Uh, So they go in. She's got her instructions, and Laurel I seems dean, you know it says, boy, she tall must have been some backbender that kiss, you know, this kind of thing, just sort of teasing her daughter. And then they get up to uh uh the they get up to the checkout and you know, Dean notices all of this junk food, right, all of this all of this candy, and makes makes a comment. And then what does laurel I do? What does she do? What does she do? Susanne?
Speaker 4: Dean won a point with her because he knew that it was Gene Wilder and not Gene Hackman, so that was a point in his favor. But then so they finished there, they make small talk and you know, Rory admits, okay, that wasn't terrible, that was that was okay. And then they go outside and lorele I invites Dean over. Now, again from my experience as a former teenage girl, I would have been mortified if my mother had had done that.
Speaker 2: That makes perfect sense. In fact, doesn't she Why is it Rory there? Because it's the minute Rory goes away that Laura I turns around and invites him over without even thinking about it. I thought that was kind of Oh my god, I know how Roy's going to react to that. She's not going to like that at all and Rory.
Speaker 4: Laurai couldn't understand why Rory was so mad. So this is again that is she a girlfriend or is she a mother? Because she's like, well what if Laane had done it? And Rory's like, but you're my mother, Like Laura, I just couldn't get why Rory was so upset.
Speaker 2: Well, now there's a way in which Rory and laurealize a relationship is different from Laurelize on her mother's Yes, you know that that never would have happened there, that's that's her plast experience that sort of clouds her vision about this.
Speaker 1: It's the opposite. Yeah, it's the complete opposite. And you know, say what you want about you know, the advice against having your a parent as your best friend.
Speaker 2: It really.
Speaker 1: You know, I think that's a bunch of horse hockey because there's two of them. How are they not going to be friends? You know, how are they not going to be close?
Speaker 2: I mean, you hold basic ideas. They're so close in age, right, much closer than a mother and daughter would normally be.
Speaker 1: Right if you think about it in real world terms, I mean, imagine a sixteen year old girl that's given birth. Yeah, and is in this town and they're sixteen, and like, did Laurel I go to high school? Did she finish? Did she finish high school? That's one question I have? Or did she even get a degree?
Speaker 4: She got her ged? They mentioned it in a later episode.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, yes, I do remember that now, Yes, but you.
Speaker 2: Know, I know that situation from when I was like sixteen. It happening among my friends, you know, a pregnancy at that time with kids who were a couple at school. Suddenly she's pregnant. Wow, man, the world turns upside down all over town. My time is a little bit bigger than the stars hollow, but not a whole lot, right, And that was a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, just think of everything she went through raising a child, having a one year old at seventeen, a two year old at eighteen, going through the Terrible twos, and you're seventeen years old, you know, just remarkable, just remarkable, stress and confusion and you know, probably a lot of joy. It seems like, you know.
Speaker 2: Well sure, but I think working through all that must have been hard. Yeah, mentioned being alone with a two year old, three year old until she gets old enough to sort of be on her own. Rory. Now, this in a way happened to me because my mother didn't work. She had worked, and then I was born and she worked a little further. Then she got pregnant with my brother, and she stopped working and just came home and was a mom. And boy, the first time that I was able to get to school myself, you know, that I could be left alone at home and would go to school. She went back to college and got a teaching degree and started her third career. But that time before that, I think back now on it, there was my mother working and trying to take care of a kid, and then only staying home and just taking care of the two kids. Well my dad is working was familiar to me in a way. That idea of taking care of a kid by yourself. Yikes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean what parents do single parents do to seconds for their children. It's quite amazing the consistency and the strength. I watched my mother do it too. I mean she'd get up every morning and just you know, go to work. She'd walk to the train, rain, shine, snow, she'd walk to the train, take it into Philadelphia, work all day, come back, make dinner. You know, just amazing, amazing, amazing, amazing.
Speaker 2: I must say I wish she were around still because now I realized what she went through doing that, and she did the same thing. She'd drive into Cleveland to go to college, come back and cook for us.
Speaker 5: Right, you know, Right, that's the amazing huge And that was when my dad was there, you know, but he didn't make dinner or anything like that.
Speaker 2: But right, yeah, it's a big deal. It's a big You've seen them sort of after that period, you know, it must have been great for LAURALI then when Rory gets old enough that they can really sort of talk like for this.
Speaker 1: So now we are getting ready Rory's wish for a relaxed night right of a movie watching and candy eating, uh into a nerve r It kind of transforms into this sort of stressful evening. It's a little nerve racking, uh, which I think is very easy to relate to. There's there's there's a parent, there's boundaries that aren't being respected. But it's okay because it's these two, right, They're so close that it's it's just sort of okay. And Rory's not going to flip out too bad because it's her, you know, her mom or best friend wants to you know, she cares. She's there, she's involved, she's betting Dean. He's a Chicago kid who wears a leather jacket. You know, you know, he could be a little shady. She's got to check him out. I mean, it's okay to be over protective, I guess at times.
Speaker 2: Right, well, at least it's happening while she's there, right, you know, he thinks is the split, is that something happens to Roy that she doesn't share with Laurli. But here's this moment first date sort of quote quote but she's there at least to see what's happening. They're all together, which is a little different. It's still stressful, God knows.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, put yourself in that position as a father of a sixteen year old girl, whether you're a single father or not, and yeah, you're gonna You're gonna this is one of the times where Loreal is required to be a dad too, right and sort of check out this boy. This actually you know, very six foot four boy from Chicago, like messing with my daughter. The dad's gonna be like, he's gonna be there, He's gonna check him out before they even have a chance to go out on her first date, right, or at least before the first day. Come on into the study. Let's talk, Dean, you and then then you give them the facts of life, says, Then your nice kid, where are you from? And then let me tell you something. You lay a hand on her. You're gonna have to deal with me in my ex collection, you know this kind of thing. So they get to talk. Wonderful, but but you know, to replace a Christopher who isn't there, or a dad who wasn't there, you've got Babette and Maury and they're they're showering the kid with love and he's not, you know, apparently not used to that to this extent. Right, So it's a half hour they kind of capture him, and Mary's in there playing some jazz. He goes, you want to hear another song? Kid, you know this kind of thing, and Bebet's just looking up at him, smiling like, you know, getting all the information she can. And that poor kid is rescued by Laurel I sent inside and just wonderful. Sally struthers scenes Michael take us through this.
Speaker 2: A little bit, well, Sally, you mean Sally Struthers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the miracle that is Sally Struthers just is her, you know, just lets you into who this woman is going to be for the for the next seven years.
Speaker 2: She's fantastic. It was one of my favorite things about working on the show was getting to know she and Liz.
Speaker 1: And me too.
Speaker 2: It was just so much fun with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and together when they were working together and you got a chance to work with them together, it was it was one of the great days.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And one time, even the extracurricular Sally meantime was doing that show about oh, the country singer I can't remember, Oh, I can't remember her name, but she was doing the show one Woman Show, No, it's two people, two women in La and Liz and I went to see her to see the show Patsy Cline. She was doing a play about Patsy Cline and Sally was fantastic. And but it's like we were already bonding. So the three of us or the two of us went to see the third one watch it. Yeah, great person. Sally Struthers really.
Speaker 1: Just the top, top human. I mean just just just support and love pouring out of her humor. I mean, she's she's a healing presence. Whenever you're around her, you just feel better, you laugh. I mean she could, oh man, she could. She's amazing. Just miss her dealer, mis her dealer.
Speaker 2: And yeah she was great.
Speaker 1: They were both hoot and holl Or, weren't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know why, but for some reason I got pretty much closest to the two of them, you know, in a working situation, right right right, And that's I mean, that is such a classic Sally Struther's moment. You know, she and Ted on the lawn talking about it. Just great and just long enough so you get the idea and you got her, you know, yeah and Ted pretty much right. The story moves on.
Speaker 1: Stay cool, kid, It's like this town is watching you, but it isn't scary, It isn't creepy.
Speaker 2: Everything's there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, we just love our girl Rory because we all helped raise or she's our daughter too, right right, And that's the beauty of stars hunt right there, right there shows you the power and the beauty of a small community. Here we go with movie night ses, anyone to take us through it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So this you know, this for a first date. First dates are always awkward, but This was just like next level awkward. Laurala is giving Dean a tour of the house and this is a living room where we do our living and then they're checking out Rory's room, and you know, Rory's a little like she's kind of retreating into herself. She's very nervous about him like looking through her stuff. And we have the scene we talked about where Suki brings the dessert because now she wants to see Dean, and then Joe the pizza guy shows up and there's all these people crammed into the little entrance way.
Speaker 1: Susan, did you find that a little a little odd that he went in so deep into her room?
Speaker 4: Not necessarily because she's no she said he could go in. And I mean it was interesting that he's like picking things up and looking at them, But I didn't think it was super weird. I mean, you know, just beyond the awkwardness in the first place, right, But yeah, Dean was Dean was good. He was there was like almost a little I don't want to say arrogance, but maybe like a little cockiness that I picked up from Dean. But but he was Yeah, it was the leather jacket, but you know, he was he was polite and then he especially when he and Laurel I had the conversation when Rory was out of the room. That was when I was really picking up on kind of when he's like, is it my turn to speak a little bit of cockiness?
Speaker 2: There were trying to find his place, you know what, it's just not a situation, right, we're sort of on maybe kind of our first date, but your mother's here. But he handles it so well, it seems yeah, yeah, in real life that that would have made me nervous, you know.
Speaker 1: Right, because he looks a polished he's like experienced in this situation, he's a little young to be experienced meeting you know, the mothers ofs.
Speaker 2: And and he really pays attention to her, I mean she he really talks to her, yes, instead of just finding some smooth way to get through that so we can get back to Rory. You know, he makes some pretty mature choices, it seems to me early on in the situation where he knows Mom is probably a.
Speaker 1: Little right dubious, and he says and he retorts back to her, now it's my turn to talk, or now it's my turn to speak and then he kind of lays out what he lays out there, which is which which bespeaks of maturity beyond his years. Yeah. Yeah, it's an interesting scene.
Speaker 2: It really is. It's interesting she they work at so that Laura, le and Dine are alone twice in the episode, and something really interesting happens both times. The first time, Laura l I just on the spurm of the moment, invites him. You know, it's like boom when she came because Rory's not there. You know what would have happen if Ory had been there, maybe she wouldn't have got away with that. And then again they have a real conversation brief though it may be in the during movie night. I thought that was a great advancement in terms of, you know, where that relationship is going to go on an appointment.
Speaker 1: Rory just stating that Dean is she finds him very attractive and he's perfect and he smells amazing, and Rory's and you know, she's it's her first kind of you know, big love. I guess right.
Speaker 2: Now as I remember this talk about what a catch he is, you know, when she's talk in the lane about everybody, Oh, you got the hot guy in town and the new gun. You know how that makes the adventure even more She's really something, so Rory doesn't want to do anything to screw that up, and doesn't want to do anything to screw that up before anything is really even started, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like she's almost afraid to engage because she doesn't want to mess it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah right.
Speaker 1: But I mean Dean's honest with her. You know. It's like he tells her that. I mean, she tells him that the whole town's watching your kid, you know, so careful, and then Dean says, you know, I really like your daughter. He confesses this right up front. Yeah, and you know he also goes on and this is another example of his maturity. He makes a great point about Laurel. I not liking him will translate into Rory not liking him. So it's like, give me a chance. And maybe that's the part where he's been through this before, so now he knows what to say. Yeah, I don't want to go through this again. I really like this girl, and you just got to give me a chance. And I I know I come off like I'm this, you know, I'm a cocky sort of city kid, and I'm in this small town and I have a little bit of an edge to me, and I have my jacket and the whole thing, right, But it's like, hey, you know, lady, you're feeling okay. You know your daughter's not going to like me if you don't like me, So let's let's let's work this out, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he knows that Laura I can bring the whole town down on him.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he wants to make it work. Oh yeah, she pushes one button. It's over for him, right. But really, you know, imagine being eighteen and this is kind of your first gig, as it was for Jared, and he's, you know, here he is with you know this this great actress and the two of these great actresses, and you know, standing his ground. You know, he's holding his own in these situations. You know, it's exciting to see go back and see in an eighteen year old Jared Pedalchi and how talented he started out and just all the great potential.
Speaker 2: First thing he did, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know if it's the first, but I mean he was just on a host to be legend. Being out of high school and being in that situation. I mean Alexis had the same experience. She was in college. I think she was a freshman in college, so she was a little farther along. But he he came right out of high school and there he is. What a career, What a career?
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Now we're we're sort of at the end of the night and they're sitting outside on the porch, Dean and Rory, and there's that and he genuinely had a good time, and he tells her that, you know, he genuinely had a good time, so he doesn't appear to be turned off or stressed and oh, your mother's a paint, no, no of that stuff. Yeah, And I think he respects Laura I and he likes her, and he likes obviously likes Rory a great deal. So it's a good situation for him. He feels comfortable because these are you know, Laura I probably reminds him of where he comes from, because she's tough as nails. Underneath it. It's like, don't mess with her, and she she said it in the sweetest way, but she's she's like Mills Laye in the boxing referee. I'm firm but fair, all right. Just so then they kiss again and that's really quite sweet, right, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: A real advance. It seems like another stat for them.
Speaker 1: M h m hmm.
Speaker 2: It makes you look forward to next Okay, where's that going to go? Next episode or whatever? Yeah? Right?
Speaker 1: And what was it that Laura I said to Rory about her conversation with Dean that made Rory suspect that she was lying to her because she asked her right, she asked, what did you guys talk about?
Speaker 4: What did you tell him?
Speaker 1: What did you tell him? What you talk about? Right? And what did she tell him to talk about? Because she didn't tell the truth. She didn't say I was laying down the law. She didn't say that, you know, Dean, you know, wanted a level playing field to be judged fairly.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: She didn't say this kid's wise beyond his years, she finally says, She finally confesses that she wanted to know about the kiss, you know, that's all. And she says that to Rory upstairs. And it's kind of a perfect ending, isn't it, Where it's like, finally, finally, finally Laura I gets what she wants because you know, she said, and I to Dean, I always get what I want, right, I want to like you, and I always get what I want. So that's kind of like an nice way of being a badass. And Roy says down and tells her all about the kiss with you know, real connection to mom. And now now it's full on girlfriend time and it's not mother daughter time.
Speaker 2: It's right.
Speaker 1: Right now, Now it goes back into.
Speaker 2: This anymore, it's right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And what I what I think is really great about the writing is they cut us off there. It's like, you know when to cut into a scene, cut in as late as possible, and get out of a scene as early as possible. And that is a perfect example of that. Get out of that scene because we already we already know what she's going to say. You know, it's joyful, We get the point.
Speaker 2: It's it's just the sense of them together. It's not what they're talking about. But it's like they've reached the point of greeting a meeting, right, you know that right, just sort of a lapse before that it wasn't the kiss was not brought to mother, and that it is and now that down now that can be friends about it instead of mom and daughter, right.
Speaker 4: And I noticed in the beginning of that scene where it's just Laurel I laying on the bed and she's laying there with their hand behind her head, and then Rory comes in and lays down next to her and puts her hand behind her head, like the two of them were just laying there in exactly the same position. So you really had that visual cue that, Okay, everything's back in sync.
Speaker 1: Now, right, wonderful storytelling visually dialogue Acinali. It's just wonderful, wonderful, wonderful storytelling.
Speaker 2: And again, although it's just that sixth episode, seventh episode, it's still sort of early. When you think of the whole stretch of the series, A lot is getting moving in it. You know that are going to be long lines in the stories.
Speaker 1: Mm hm oh yeah, yeah, these narratives are being Yeah, they're being constructed.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine how people do that lay out, you know, a whole season or something, let alone. How do we break this up into hour loan things and still maintain the forward motion of a whole bunch of stories?
Speaker 1: You know what I think it is. I'm going to take a shot at trying to explain this because I've experienced this before as a writer. Okay, I'm not a television writer. I've never had anything purchased or produced, but I've written a bunch of screenplays for films, about fifteen of them. And yeah, yeah, I mean that was in the nineties, in the early two thousands. But you know, I read all the books. I tried and failed, and you know, I went about it in all kinds of different ways. But what the great writers tell you to do is to have your idea and have a character, because where does plot emanate from it? It emanates from character. And if you have if you get a plot first and then try to plut insert characters, it's very wooden and very stiff and hollow. So great storytelling is great characters. So what I did was is I thought of a character. I had this great character, and I thought about it for a while, and I put it on as an index card, put it up on my wall, and then I did that with all that, and then I thought about the story, and I thought about that character and a story, A little bit of a past emerged and a story. And I did that with a bunch of other characters that popped up sort of organically from the original thought of this character. And then it took about a year for that wall to be filled up with character, and then a story's started to form, and I thought about the story more, and then the story was becoming more and more and more specific and real, and and then the characters actually came to life and started talking to me. And I know, I sound it sounds crazy, but to go about it in that way and not write a first draft until the characters are screaming at you, we're ready, write this down and let's go, because it really just has to sort of, you know, it has to sort of vomit out of you a first draft and you got to get it all down on paper. And I got a first draft down in like three days, and I didn't sleep. I just wrote, wrote. I still have that first draft. It's the best thing I've ever written. I don't want to mess with it because it's so precious to me, and I know I have to. You know, what they say is, you know, cut out your favorite parts of that. If it doesn't propelled the story forward, it might be really good writing, but it doesn't have anything to do with pushing the narrative forward. And it actually works that way, So I think that's what Amy and Dan might do is that they have these characters. They have this ability to these characters really come alive for them, and they follow them around from season to see so per episode to episode because they're truly sensitive beings. They're truly super intelligent, super well read, creative, free people, and they have this ability to create character too, and the characters are very real to them. These characters are very real, and I think it might even be a little easier after you see, Like imagine Amy and Dan watching the pilot. They've never seen the characters come to life before visually speaking. Now they get to see them, so that's even more feedback and more information that they get. So maybe it's a little easier to write for these characters now. Anyway, that's just one way from what I learned about screenwriting from the great screenwriters to go try to attempt to go about it because it has to be real to you and they have to be alive, and it all starts from one character, and I think it started from Loralai. I think that's the one character they created, and it's like, what if it's about this girl who was pregnant, and then the rest just sort of emanates from there, and then the whole plot just pours out of Loralai from there and that that's the storytelling. So anyway, I don't know that I'll ever work on that screenplay again. It's a lot of work.
Speaker 2: Now, have you taken it around? I mean, have you tried to sell.
Speaker 1: It on a first draft?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I mean no, I mean it's first drafts, not ready to be out in the marketplace.
Speaker 2: But you don't feel compelled to take another crack out of time.
Speaker 1: I have thought about it, Yeah, yeah, I have thought about it. That's finding the time to do it. You know. It takes a lot out of you to do that.
Speaker 2: I mean it's well if you if all you do is write and not never sleep, I can understand that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it's one hundred percent focus. I mean, you can't really be thinking about anything else or doing anything else, and it's your button, a seat in a room by yourself for yeah, weeks, weeks and months of end.
Speaker 2: And it's hard to being an actor. You you almost always accept in rare exceptions, you have other people to deal with, you know, and that had that gets you get a lot of input from that, you know. But the other people do, just by yourself in the middle of all this. That's why I always writers just fascinate me that they can go in a room, like you say, lock the door and come up with something. You know, we start way farther down the list, you know, where there's something really to grab onto you. You're you're creating around something that's already there, you know, right, just pulling it out of the air.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean, yeah, sure. We as actors are interpretive. We interpret right, we're interpretive artists. It's our and we look for unique and original choices that no one's done before. Or we're just you know, we're so interesting as people to begin with that we just play ourselves and you better be pretty damn interesting if you're going to do that. So we got to learn to act anyway. Michael, it's been a pleasure.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's so great to see you and.
Speaker 1: A pleasure to see you boy.
Speaker 2: To go back and look at that, I hadn't looked at those for years. I may have to go look at the form because the next thing that happens is, uh that that David Huddleston was in the in the preview for the next episode, and I remember that was the episode where we were out all night long in the fake snow doing that thing. That had all great stories about that one too. Yeah, tremendous you're thinking of me. I mean, it's just great to to dive back into that after all this time. People still talk about it. I mean people stop me on the street. A woman faced me out of a restaurant day before. Yes, are you Michael Winters said? Are you a Gilmore Girls fan? Yes? It goes on and on and on.
Speaker 1: Well, it's your voice, you know, it's your look and your voice.
Speaker 2: Well, I think so. I was in a play here once and that there were a bunch of kids who were just out of high school who were in a chorus, and if one guy came up and he said, I thought I didn't even know who you were until I heard your voice. I didn't even see you, and I heard your voice and I knew who you were. Wow.
Speaker 1: Well, look I have some I have some really good news for everybody. Michael Winter It's going to be joining us eighteen at the Warner Brothers Studios. I Am All In Again Live podcast from Warner brother Studios. They're building is a stage. It's two thousand people are going to be there. Lucky fans. You got their tickets in time. And everybody else is gonna have to stream it and that's gonna be fine too.
Speaker 2: How many of us are going to be there, people from the show.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's gonna be uh. Well, we're announcing one at a time.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I just announced Greg Henry and now I'm announcing you. We're doing it. We're doing it on the air, so to speak. Yeah, and uh, it's just going to be so much fun.
Speaker 2: Time forward to it.
Speaker 1: Wow, two thousand, it's gonna be great. All right, buddy, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: It was great.
Speaker 5: We had.
Speaker 1: We had a lot of fun catching up with you and and and uh we will see you very soon. Okay, less than a month. We're going to be hanging out again at Warner Brothers and I'll be there and and doing our podcast thing. Okay, buddy, all right, I'll see you then.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot, Thank you, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Be welcome you to see you soon. And that's going to do it from us, Suzanne, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: That was good.
Speaker 1: Best fans on the planet bar none. We're going to see you December eighteenth.
Speaker 3: Live.
Speaker 1: And remember Where you lead, we will follow.
Speaker 3: Take care, and don't forget.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at i Am All In podcast, and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com