Speaker 1: What I knew a twink to be growing up as a young gay person. Like that definition no longer stands now, Yeah, exactly, Like I just thought that a twink was like a super skinny, short faggot who wears like Andrew Kristian underwear.
Speaker 2: That's still true?
Speaker 3: Is that still true? And works at the mad counter?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like to me, that's.
Speaker 2: She's sheen a me no may none yo, no no, what is your childhood?
Speaker 3: I am your life's going down before.
Speaker 2: Like round, Welcome to Like a Virgin, the show where we give yesterday's pop culture today's takes. I'm Rose, dam you.
Speaker 5: I'm fran Torodo.
Speaker 2: Before we get into today's episode, we wanted to let you know that we are doing a live show on June twenty sixth at the Bellhouse in Brooklyn.
Speaker 4: Yes, New Yorkers, Virgins of New York, versions of the Tri State Area, versions of Jersey, versions of I don't Know, Philadelphia. We want all of you to come to our live show one night only, amazing surprise guests, goops, gags, stunts. Maybe we'll sell merch there. You'll party with us after. It's gonna be so so fun. Rose and I have been doing a little planning and you know, no spoilers, but I know that everyone coming will have an absolute blast, a night to remember, honestly.
Speaker 2: Yes, get your tickets now at the bellhousean why dot Com? That is the Bellhouse and why dot Com? And we are coming to you from different coasts. Different is out of town right now for a very special reason. You want to tell the girlies all about it.
Speaker 4: Yes, I left town specifically to escape New York's air quality the Pacific Northwest, where all of the air smells like juniper and fresh sea salt water.
Speaker 5: This is just you know, the place to be breathing air. Love it here.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's the real reason.
Speaker 4: The real reason is Justin bought me tickets to see Jonny Mitchell's first plan performance in twenty years. So me and my besties got into a little car and drove to this place called the Gorge Amphitheater.
Speaker 5: Have you ever heard of it?
Speaker 4: I had never heard of it before, so all three Lilith Fares stopped by the Gorge Amphitheater. It is an iconic venue. Yes, now you know the vibe. Iconic venue in a literal gorge that seats like twenty thousand people and you know the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, estrogens seeped into the ground. Yes, okay, in the trees.
Speaker 4: So here's a bunch of information that was like I didn't have going into this, and then when I got there found out very quickly, which is that this weekend was not just a Joni Mitchell performance. It was actually this festival that Brandy Carlisle puts on every year called Ladies of the Canyon or like Echoes of the Canyon or something like that.
Speaker 2: I've heard of it.
Speaker 5: Okay, I did not realize, but she so.
Speaker 4: Brandy Carlyle is obviously a legend, one of like the key kind of a musician's musician in my opinion, and has so many different connections and loves, love and relationships with you know, amazing you know, music artists across everywhere always, and so she brings in all of these musicians to do shows at the Gorge, which is a venue that she grew up going to seeing like Bowie and going to Lila Fair and all the different stuff. And so she decided to do this Joni Mitchell performance in large part because about five years ago Brandy started to become friends with Joni through her wife, and one time Joni was like.
Speaker 5: You know, I have a music room and it's pretty lonely in there, and I feel like maybe I could have some music music artist sober to maybe jam sometime. Which are you in?
Speaker 2: And Brandy Carlo, of course, was extremely offensive. Joni Mitchell, im.
Speaker 5: That's literally what she sounds like. Now She's like, hey, my name is Joni Mitchell. I don't think that's actually that bad, but I'll have to listen to it. Back to the side.
Speaker 4: So, anyways, Joni invites Brandy over for these Joni jams. This is part of this is an essential part of like the lore by the way to the concert. I think it really builds out the story in a way that helps you understand what exactly you saw if you ever.
Speaker 2: See any judge of that.
Speaker 4: So she so the very first Joni jam that Brandy ever went to over at Jonie's house in her music room.
Speaker 5: She brought Hosier and I think, like, I don't.
Speaker 2: Really know any of Hosier's music. I'm either not not on that wavelength the girl. You know, I don't like to listen to men sing yeah yeah, yeah me either.
Speaker 5: The girls love Hosier.
Speaker 4: I don't know anything about Hosier but anyway, she brought Hosier over anything one of the music artists trying to impress Joni. And I think they all felt like because Jonni was recovering from a stroke, a stroke that wherein she had to literally learn how to speak again. Like I didn't, I forgot this that like after her her brain aneurysm, Janie fully had to like relearn how to like walk and talk and all this different stuff. So I think Brandy and her friends assumed that they were going over to just perform for Joni because she couldn't perform anymore. And lo and behold that, you know, Brandy does a song for Joni, Hosier does a song for Joni, and then all of a sudden, Shaka Khan walks in because Jonie invited Shaka Khan to like the Joni jam or whatever, and so they start playing some music, and then Herbie Hancock walks in, legendary pianists, and he starts coming in and playing some songs, and then he starts playing you know, like a few keys or whatever.
Speaker 5: And Brandy Carlisle tells this story saying that like they were listening to Herbie play the piano, and then all of a sudden, Joni Mitchell goes, so mutime.
Speaker 4: Do do and starts singing like jazz, and so they all start jamming together. And then that became this kind of like monthly tradition of Joni jams where people like Elton John and like other folks would like come in, Sarah McLaughlin, Annie Lennox, all these people would come in and do these little jams with Joni. And I think the reason I'm prefacing all of this is because one, because it's Brandy Carlile's festival. It was literally, no exaggeration, twenty thousand lesbians on this campsite. Twenty thousand lesbians. Imagine that it's a lot of super rus. It's a lot of super reforesters. Highlight of the I mean, so we were like camping out in like, uh, there's like this campsite where in everyone has it's kind of like tailgate culture.
Speaker 5: Did you ever tailgate?
Speaker 4: Rouas you seem like you would be really into tail You seem like you, but you seem like someone who'd be really into like the ceremony of like posting up next to your car, like you know, drinking, you know, a having a sandwich or like no okay, no no, no, no, no okay. Anyways, it's like it's like tailgating, but you're camping next to your car in this like lawn filled with you know, probably a thousand something cars and people who are waiting to see Joony. One hundred percent of the people that I talked to were lesbians. There was actually a moment where our car battery died because I was playing music out of our cars.
Speaker 5: Our car battery died.
Speaker 4: And like we were freaking out for like approximately forty seconds, and then I go no, wait, wait, wait, like we're gonna be fine. We are in this lesbian we're surrounded by lesbian like we're gonna be fine. And literally, like I walked over to our neighbor and I was like, I was like, do you know anybody that has jumper cables? And then she goes, she turns out into the and imagine like they're like hundreds and hundreds in our surrounding area of like people at their different car campsites, and a girl just turn turns around, she goes and they want to have jumper cables, and like nine different lesbians like pop out the holes hold it.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, like what kind what pride you need? She like, it's like it's like that scene of a Little Mermaid where Ariel blows the cottage who it was giving.
Speaker 5: It was so funny, it was so cinematic.
Speaker 4: So I'm just trying to set the scene for you in that By the time I've gotten to Joni, I'm already fully immersed and inducted into this lesbian commune. Like we're sharing clothes, we're making each other meals, We're like going to concert together with like literal strangers that I've just met at you know, Brandy's Ladies of the Canyon.
Speaker 5: Festival or whatever. I am now a Lady of the Canyon.
Speaker 4: And I guess on stage they were trying to replicate this Jony Jam idea, which I thought was amazing. So there's like couches, lamps, a carpet on stage and like a lot of couches and seats, like a lot of room proceeding, which I was kind of like, what's going to happen? And Brandy opens for her, which is awesome, and then brings out Joni and they play this little like kind of jazz tribute and she just like walks very slowly on set with her cane and her assist and like and like the second she sat down rose and she just says.
Speaker 5: Something like thank you, it's so good to see you.
Speaker 4: And she does like her little laugh, and I immediately started crying because the sound of her laugh is so it had just literally really just.
Speaker 5: The sound of her laugh had such.
Speaker 4: A long history, like emotional place in my body that I just know I was literally in our theme Yes, it's literally in our theme music. I started getting emotional. And then they immediately launched into big yellow taxi and I just started ecstatically crying. And the woman next to me, who was probably in her seventies, who had seen Jenny Mitchell twice I think, had seen Johnny Mitchell twice before moved to the Pacific Northwest specifically because weed was legal there, and is in love with has been in love with Paul McCartney since she was twelve years old.
Speaker 5: She told me, like walks over, she.
Speaker 4: Goes, hey, it's okay, dude, Like it's she's like trying to confess.
Speaker 2: She's like trying to like comfort me because I'm crying so so hysterically.
Speaker 4: And the thing about Jonie and this whole performance is that Jonie can't really she doesn't have you know, the Canaries voice anymore. She can't really hit the notes. She has you know gone, she's had a stroke. She learned how to talk again, learned how to sing again. And on top of that, she is an eighty year old woman who has smoked a lifetime of cigarettes and a lifetime of marijuana, and so there the kind of coherency and ability to actually like perform, it's all there. She knows what she's doing, and she was definitely in command of the performance. She was the hero, the center. She was on a throne, and surrounding her was her backup vocals and players, which included Sarah McLaughlin, Annie Lennox, Brandy Carlisle, Marcus Mumford on guitar. Like all these people that had like shown up for her because they love her and you know, had been doing Joni Jamson wanted to support her. And something that I realized very quickly is that Jonie's voice could not, like because of the quality and what she's able to do, her own voice and performing quality would not have made a concert like There's no way she could just got to get up there with a band because of the stage she's in her career, but the for her to bring on this ensemble and for them to sing and play back of her in a way that's kind of truly jammy.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 4: Things were off tempo, a little off key sometimes. There was this cacophony of background sounds and instruments that built that were that was built around Joni's voice to supplement it, and that was something that made it so much more beautiful. And I ah, it was just like you came to watch that, you know, does that make sense?
Speaker 5: Can you even?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 5: It's like so it was so it was such.
Speaker 4: A wild, wild experience and they all took turns like doing tributes to like Sarah McLaughlin did Blue and Anny Linix did Lady of Ladies of the Canyon. Oh my god, it was so incredible.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a very once in a lifetime kind of experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it really really felt like that, like it it felt it felt like a pilgrimage, like it felt like a mecca and so many for lesbians. Yes, and it was, and it was such a adjacent and it was such a vast range of people, like we were definitely the youngest people there, but it was a huge range of people and yet of course like pretty much the exact same person.
Speaker 5: You know, like it was a lot of camping, white lesbian types.
Speaker 2: Ari I really got emptied by those women on their way to the festival.
Speaker 4: Oh girl, the jumper cables are sold out at ari I for sure.
Speaker 2: Well that's so amazing. I'm so happy that you got to experience that.
Speaker 5: Do you have a favorite Jony song?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a Case of You. I have always said that if I ever were to get married, which I'm not going to, that is the song that I would have my first dance to. I think it's the romance. I think it's the most romantic song ever written.
Speaker 5: That's what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's the greatest love song ever written. But I also really like all I want.
Speaker 5: I want to talk to you? What a shampoo you? I want to shampoo you. Would you let me shampoo you if it was wash day?
Speaker 2: Ummm no, I'm very specific about my hair.
Speaker 4: Okay, So your favorite Jenni Mitchell song is Case of You. Have you ever cried listening to that song?
Speaker 2: Many? Many times?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Oh really? What about? So?
Speaker 4: Basically you are Emma Thompson in Not the Holiday? What's the holiday, but for heterosexual and love and love actually love actually.
Speaker 2: That is actually a good way of putting out the holiday for heterosexuals, that is it? Yeah, you were Emma Thompson. Does that make me Alan Rickman? I don't think no, I think you're Mitchell Laura. You're Laura Lenny.
Speaker 4: Oh, because I will cock block myself so that I can take care of the people that I love.
Speaker 2: Yes, Rose, what did you do this weekend? I saw The boogey Man on Friday night, which was it's a new horror movie based on a Stephen King short story. It's one of the girls from Yellow Jackets is in it, which one which Jacket young Juliette lewis one with the blonde hair and the roots that have not grown out appropriately. She was good. She was good. And then yesterday I did something that I didn't think I was going to do, which was I watched the first two episodes of The Idol.
Speaker 4: Oh, I am watching that on my flight.
Speaker 5: What did you say? So?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts, but you know, I had kind of decided that I wasn't going to watch it. Yeah, everyone who listens to this podcast knows I'm not a Sam Levinson fan. I don't watch Euphoria, but you know, I was thinking about it yesterday and like, I just don't want to have opinions on things without actually being able to judge them for myself, you know. So I thought, if I was going to like take this stance that this show was bad, that I should actually watch it and see if it was. And surprisingly I liked it. You like the idol, Like, yeah, I mean, I don't think it's amazing. I think you know the first episode and you know, when you watch it, let me know what you think. But the first half of the first episode I really liked because it focuses on Lily Rose Depp's character Jocelyn, who's this pop star who's gone through a mental breakdown and is trying to like have her big comeback moment, and the first half of the episode is exploring that part of the story and her team, which is like all of these you know, managers and agents and creative directors and publicists who are all played by really funny people. And that part of the show I found really interesting. And then the weekend comes into it and it hees he's just a bad actor. The show is trying to then turn into this like erotic thriller. There's literally seen in the first episode where where Lily Rose Depp and Rachel Sennett, who plays her best friend slash assistant, are sitting and watching Basic Instinct, and it's like so on the nose. So yeah, I mean the first episode, I was, you know, intrigued more than I was annoyed. So I watched true to the second half.
Speaker 4: A rave review from rosem you I was intrigued more than I'm annoyed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean again and in the again in the second episode, like the first half of it is about her doing this music video shoot that she really is like not prepared to do, and it's showing like how exploitative her whole team is and you know, how exploitive of the industry is. And then again in the second half, the Weekend comes in and it just becomes this very different show than I'm much less interested in, And I feel like as the season progresses, it's probably going to lean more into the stuff with the Weekend, and I will lose interest in it, but at least I'm like watching it and judging it for myself. And also her song that she's trying to put out is kind of a bop. It's not on the level of like a Miley song from Black Mirror.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what I was gonna ask.
Speaker 2: But it's fun. And you know, I need a like Sunday night TV show in my life with succession gone. So I'll watch this for as long as I'm interested in it, as soon as I'm not. As soon as I'm not, I will just stop your letterbox account. Lily Rose dep is no Ashley. Oh but let me tell you, well, you can't letterboxed TV shows. Oh. Really goes to show how much I know. I also watched, speaking of like erotic thrillers and like psychosexual violence, I watched The Doom Generation.
Speaker 4: I thought you were segueing us to the Ultimatum and it was gonna.
Speaker 2: Lie, Well, virgins we are. We did talk about the Ultimatum Queer Love Edition on our Patreon this week with producer Phoebe, So if you want to hear us get into that, you will have to go to patreon dot com slash like a Virgin. But no, I was saying that. On Saturday night, I watched The Doom Generation, which is a Greg Iraqi movie. It's like a sort of cult cinema starring Rose McGowan from the nineties, and I really liked it. It's very horny, very silly, very bloody and gross and violent and I had a good time watching it and want to watch more Greg Iraqi movies, especially the trilogy that that movie is a part of.
Speaker 4: I've never seen a single Greg Iraqi movie, can you believe? Not even Mysterious Skin, that's kind of his most I mean, maybe the one that has the most kind of like mainstream crossover, because that's Joseph Gordon Lovett m and Michelle Trachtenberg. Doesn't justin Gordon Lovick it, you know, hit a pp in the in the but hole he gets raped.
Speaker 2: Oh no, not not.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Mysterious Skin is about these two boys who are both molested, actually abused by their like little league coach when they were kids, and they both respond to it in very different ways as they grow up. Joseph Gordon Levitt plays a teenage gay hooker. No, it's yeah, it's it's a very good movie, but very dark dark, which you know, I love darkness. I'm I'm so upset because sude, did you hear about the Sex and the City Experience thing that was in New York. I don't know, but Ryan and I were planning on going, and yesterday I went to look up what the ticket situation was or whatever. It's already closed. It was only open for three days. I thought it would at least be opened through the premiere of and just like that, that's so stupid.
Speaker 5: I actually don't understand why we weren't invited to that party, Like.
Speaker 2: Well, HBO do better, But we should wrap this up and get onto our amazing, hilarious from what I can remember, conversation with Honey Pluton was back again to talk about the mall?
Speaker 5: Should we go to the mall? Right now?
Speaker 4: We had a very difficult time picking a topic with you today, which is a happy problem to happen. And one of the first things that we kind of nixed that I just want to get a little, get a little, a little moment and it was Kathy Baits, So I think it is kind of mommy.
Speaker 2: She's that's such a scary sentence.
Speaker 1: Mommy trade literally my like brain is pulling and coming out of my ears.
Speaker 2: Do you want to fuck her?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Every I feel like that is like the sight of like queer coming of age.
Speaker 3: Because I think, okay, so let's I just had.
Speaker 2: To do you want to suck her currently or okay, both, but I want to fuck her at absolutely everything, everywhere.
Speaker 1: All every cay because I think that for a mommy to truly be mommy, and same for a daddy to truly be daddy, and maybe y'all will disagree, I think that they have to be fat. I just like really think that, Like Mommy is fat. It's like that's the archetype and that's why she's fucking sexy. Well the milkers, it's the milkers, and daddy is fat. The same thing where it's like every Pride, all these lesbians like post picture of daddy and it's like some fucking border colleague. He is not daddy. They they friend is not daddy.
Speaker 2: A guy that I was trying to hook up with recently called me mommy as we were like negotiating, and I was like, please don't ever do that.
Speaker 1: No, but you're not mommy, thank you, No, you're it's like you you don't give mommy because you don't take care of people.
Speaker 2: No I don't.
Speaker 3: You do not take care of people need taking, But you.
Speaker 1: Need to be taken care of, and that's you're a cancer. And so that's the dynamic.
Speaker 3: Where it's like Kathy is psycho.
Speaker 1: I don't think that she's trade because she's too mentally ill in that way, and she's a little bit too like freakish all over the place manic.
Speaker 3: She's too like psycho to really be traded.
Speaker 2: Has she ever been traded in any of her She needs more stability, I guess the unco brown exactly.
Speaker 1: I would say in Titanic she's probably the tradiest, but she's definitely like psycho Mommy mommy dearest, like very like of that where you're going to have sex with her and then she's like putting on like a mask that actually like scares you too much, and there's like a couple like Victorian dolls in the bag that you like don't really address.
Speaker 2: Was she your sexual awakening?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I think that she's definitely one of them. Probably in Titanic, where everyone was like Kate Winslon, I was like Cathy Babes because I was like, what's going on under all that tool?
Speaker 3: She looks great?
Speaker 1: And honestly, it's like my sexual awakening was always the psychosexual horror movies because that's what I watched with my mom, because my mom is like super twisted. There's literally where I was watching Single White Female with.
Speaker 2: My mom, watching Mommy with mom.
Speaker 1: I was watching Mommy with mommy, and my mom's favorite movie is Misery. So we'd watched that like every year together. So and then because my mom is just like a woman who hated her husband, who was like watching all these movies about like women killing their husbands, right, And I was like, hmm, I wonder what this is all about. And we would watch Mommy Dearest and it was just like and we watched Rosemary's Baby.
Speaker 2: And Fatal Attraction and no exactly.
Speaker 1: Basic instinct like that's what we were watching together. It's just like watching like hot gay women seek revenge.
Speaker 2: So what you're saying is that grooming exists.
Speaker 3: Like that is part of the play.
Speaker 4: It should be acknowledged.
Speaker 3: It should be acknowledged.
Speaker 4: One of my favorite like kind of fem vengeance movies as an adolescent with Thelma and Louise, because they're literally like two like you know, dykes that like kill their rapists or whatever.
Speaker 2: I still only ever watched half of it.
Speaker 4: I mean, honestly, you only really need to see half and then because you already know the ending frame of the movie in.
Speaker 2: It also is it's a lot of rape. I think the ad is not a twink in that movie. No, he's not a muscular you're The problem is too wide.
Speaker 3: It's way too.
Speaker 1: Wide, said as a four, and I'll say it again. A twink is working at the matt counter. A twink is wearing a tank top that probably has wearing like a target tank top that's like blue and gray with glitter on it. It's wearing those like khaki or jean shorts that go like right above the knee and Espa drills like that is a twink. A twink is suburban. But then there's city twink, which is like a little better dressed and is maybe still wearing what are those boots everyone wore when like we were in our earlier twenties, Jeffrey Campbell.
Speaker 4: Boots, Jeffrey Campbell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like maybe the city twink might have some Jeffrey Campbell boots and is wearing like leather leggings and a north face and a fucking north face that is actually a twin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't think a twin can be above five to nine.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 4: Okay, so we've laid it down. Peace can't be above five to nine.
Speaker 1: And then if you're not that, then you're just a faggot, and that is really beautiful.
Speaker 2: I do think that sometimes you're seeing twinks where there are only fagots. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But I also I tend to like my kind of orientation around faggot is usually not like gay men. It's not always like gay man.
Speaker 3: Faggot is a gender, Yeah, it is, it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously they are like cultural, different cultural meanings for like faggot, and a lot of people will see it be like faggots and it's like all these guys on like the Tai Tee boat or whatever. I'm just like, no, a lot of those people like aren't faggots, you know, because and like Larry Mitchell's faggot, like you know what I mean, like in opposition like counter cultural, which obviously isn't true to everybody that identifies sometimes, but that's how I'm thinking about it.
Speaker 2: And also, faggot is not necessarily just a way to self identify. Faggot is something that you get.
Speaker 4: Called at the streets, Yeah, exactly. Yeah, And fagots are not all you know, like cis men, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But sometimes faggots, Yes, like that's a baggot and you're like bumping into me because you don't know that I exist.
Speaker 2: Yah, And you know where you know where fagots congregate at the mall, at the mall, at the mall.
Speaker 3: It's all coming together.
Speaker 1: But I really think glad that we chose this topic because did we all grow up suburban?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, so I feel like right, No, I was born but I was born in Boca. You were, Yes, I was born in Boca, but I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago or.
Speaker 4: Jewish, I grew up in the I grew up in I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago. Like to suburban right south of oak Park, Lagrange, like southwest.
Speaker 3: Wait, I didn't know that. Did you go to the same mall?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 4: Did we have rival high schools or something?
Speaker 3: To Highland Park High Oh?
Speaker 4: I went to Lagrange Highlands.
Speaker 3: What was your mall called?
Speaker 4: It was called there was oak Park. It was the oak Park mall we had.
Speaker 3: We had Northbrooke Cross and then we went to Old Orchard.
Speaker 1: Which is now a Westfield. That was the outdoor mall. That was I kind of fancier. It was like the grove, like the grove grove, I know what the grove? Did you go when you were last in l A. No, but I've heard tales. I'm like familiar to make a pilgrimage at some point.
Speaker 3: It's the mecca.
Speaker 2: It is, although to me, the mecca will always be the mall that I grew up with, because I think that is universal experiences, like your mall is the mall, no matter what other malls you visit in your life, Like my mall will always be town Center and Tone. I could find my way around it with my eyes closed.
Speaker 3: You could like, what was that movie bird Box?
Speaker 2: Wasn't she.
Speaker 3: Cultural refence?
Speaker 2: What I like?
Speaker 1: It is a central Bullock. I am in love with her the first that was my true queer awakening and the first exactly we.
Speaker 2: Need to do aeniality episode, yes, because she was trans and it's I'm like, I just love the butchery, the true butchery.
Speaker 3: She's wearing that dress and she doesn't really know if she likes it.
Speaker 2: And like her. Benjamin Bratt as the love interest when you know she wants to fuck Sherry truly the first fifteen minutes of bird Box are explicitly like a lesbian drama, Like really, it's just a lesbian like truly. Wait, I also just found out last night that Pedro Pascal is best. He's with Sarah Paulson. You didn't know that I had.
Speaker 3: That's cute. He loves lesbian.
Speaker 4: I know that's such a giveaway, like he's he's just so gay. I'm so happy, No.
Speaker 3: He is.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's gay, Okay, I think that he Wait, because we're all forgetting about this, which is that he's an ally. He's like a true I think it's like actually an out his trans daughter, Yeah, exactly trans, just like yeah, Jimmie Lee Curtis.
Speaker 2: It's like these don't bring her up.
Speaker 3: Allies.
Speaker 1: It's like they're just like Gen X boomers where they like have just seen what's gone down and they're like, we like p Flag parents.
Speaker 4: It's only a matter of time before we see Petro Pascal in conversation with Locate at the ninety second street.
Speaker 2: Wise speaking into existence.
Speaker 1: That's so true where it's like he's going to be at like Radio City Music Hall with like Jonathan van net No, Yes, shot him to be gay.
Speaker 3: Because he's sexy. But I think it's just like hashtag ally No, I.
Speaker 2: Think it's like a well known like he's gay.
Speaker 1: It's like like Bradley Cooper, Like yeah, like Bradley Cooper is like scary closeted.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like, you know, he's.
Speaker 1: Bringing real, real twins back to the hotel and they're dying.
Speaker 2: It's like the girl with the dragon tattoos, where like he has the basement with like the cages and stuff.
Speaker 1: No, it's kind of like the seal vibes where you are like flaying these twings like on your ceiling.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, he is actually finding.
Speaker 2: The glass box and find more like finding his Tina bites because I'm sure he.
Speaker 6: Loves smoke and me with twins without a doubt he needs allegedly allegedly allegedly, Yeah, but I love them all.
Speaker 2: Good transition.
Speaker 3: That's what your ma was called.
Speaker 2: My town center mall and it is. It was my mother, it was my father. It was my first relationship.
Speaker 3: Were you going with a click or by yourself or.
Speaker 2: Both both, but mostly by myself? So before I that makes sense, before I could drive, I used to roller blade to them. Wait, I'm upset, or I would take a cab in.
Speaker 4: A cab to like fucking eloise at the plaza, Like I would.
Speaker 2: Have to open the phone book and y'all a taxi.
Speaker 3: You are such a city girl.
Speaker 2: From age, I would go to like build a Bear Abercrombie. There was one year. There was one year I think in high school where for Christmas I got all my close friends a build a bear that I dressed up to look like them, and I.
Speaker 3: Was like, are such a is so fucking cute?
Speaker 1: Extremely year, I'm sure that she was like, do you still have it still?
Speaker 2: Take a picture of it now, Take a picture of it right now and hold up in today's newspaper as well.
Speaker 3: I want to see the date.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're bringing up something that is like kind of triggering to me, which is like mall birthdays which were if we're going to bring class into this conversation, build a Bear was an expended birthday.
Speaker 2: Extremely expensive. It's all about add ons, which is so nice that you got flat rate for the bear, but then you have to dress it up. Oh in the part where they have you hold.
Speaker 4: The heart the little silk car I need is a cult they're getting they're getting back surgery literally, and.
Speaker 1: There's stuff in those little buzzies.
Speaker 4: Well that that is, I mean those memes of like the Bears going into the giant metal pole. What what else there was like Libby Lou, which was you know.
Speaker 3: I didn't have Liby.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that was.
Speaker 3: Libby Lou? Were you in make your own glitter makeup?
Speaker 4: Yest me? Limit Libby Lou and also limited To were a part of like the Hillary Duff industrial complex. Of their thoughts were in they would like indoctrinate like young girls to these birthday parties that probably cost like a a billion dollars per person, where in they would like put them in full drag beat down tapes like seven yeah, seven hundred pigtails, as was the fashion of the time. And like, I think my sister had a birthday there and resented it because she's like not a girly girl, but she was like just trying to do what all the other like rich girls were doing, you know.
Speaker 3: And were you a faggot child?
Speaker 4: I I mean yes, within reason.
Speaker 2: I was like you were a faggot child?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I mean she was calling a yellow calf Virginia slam and My mom.
Speaker 2: Was like, get that dick out of your mouth and go to Heubrew School.
Speaker 3: Literally, you were either calling a calf or roller bad.
Speaker 2: Wait, you know where the trade shopped, and I'm talking about mom trade. It was either Anne Taylor Loft, White House, Black March, the store that old black clothes and white clothes I'm familiar, which is my MOA.
Speaker 3: Had a Betsy Johnson whoa.
Speaker 1: I remember walking and I was neither a faggot child nor a dyke child. I was very like pat. I was very like non binary, you know, wearing my like long sleeve shirts, but like walking by limited To and like wanting to go in to maybe get like some sweatpants that had like a cat wearing like a harness on it, like with like a parachute.
Speaker 3: That's what I feel like. All the limited To clothes were with I.
Speaker 2: Liked glitter animals. They shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm this giraffe is like doing a cartwheel. I'm like, okay, I'm like not buying her. Children love animals like I had zoo books and I want all my clothes to have animals on it. Remember walking by Betsy Johnson and thinking that like that was the coolest, most glamorous thing in the entire world. And I didn't want to wear it, but I wanted to be around like girls that were wearing it. It was me and knowing that one day I would have like a squadron of dolls and we would all just like run around and go crazy together.
Speaker 3: Like I knew that was possible.
Speaker 2: That's what's the what's the transversion of a fag hag like a doll collector? Exactly?
Speaker 1: God, yes, without I mean, I whatever, I'm iconic film, Welcome to the Dollhouse, an iconic film. I was like, I knew that one day I would just be like surrounded by dolls. When I entered into a Betsy Johnson like just looking, I was like, that's what I.
Speaker 2: Knew, because you were looking for friends, you were looking for me wandering around the aisles and being like I'm just here browd.
Speaker 1: Absolutely okay. But I also feel like another point of the law for me was to shop that were you all were y'all stealing?
Speaker 4: I was at the time. Yeah, I had like kind of suppressed. I was still coming I was still learning how to not believe in God. Oh. At this time, I was Catholic. I was I was Catholic, then Christian, then Baptist.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, they did you do so much?
Speaker 4: I gave up God right around like sixteen. But it was like a shaky loss of my and so yeah, I was too. I didn't steal until college like an adult.
Speaker 3: But then you finally got I stole so much. Yeah, then you're.
Speaker 1: Walking out of the Whole Foods Hot Bar with like Somosa's mac and cheese.
Speaker 4: I'm curry, I'm I'm surprised that I never learned how to like properly shoplift because like I didn't have like a we we went to the mall like as a fam like or with my mom like as a treat kind of. So like I didn't have a ton of expendable income like American Eagle like was like off the table, like we can't do it whatever, Like if I'm gonna, you know, use my own like chore money or whatever, like it's what I can afford at the Urban Outfitters book table right like that.
Speaker 1: It really is like the mall is radicalizing in that way because it's like when I would go I grew up in this like super wealthy suburb and I was like a in a family that wasn't wealthy. So when I would like go to the mall with all of my like extended, like why do middle schoolers roam around and packs.
Speaker 2: Of fifteen like feral animals?
Speaker 1: No, Jenny, It's like why were we all stray cats like yipping and heating when I was like walking around with this like conglomerate of like fifteen other middle schoolers. And it's like Christine is able to go to Abercromie and Fitch and I can't because I one can't afford it too, can't fit into any of it.
Speaker 2: And also can't deal with the wave of fierce colone no.
Speaker 3: Chloroform.
Speaker 2: I'm fainting and the lights are so dark and the music is so loud.
Speaker 1: It's like, why am I an unter right? I'm literally eleven. I didn't consent to this, it's too much.
Speaker 2: No, I'm like, but you are on the list, I.
Speaker 3: Am, I'm always on the list. No, I'm walking in.
Speaker 1: Also, what's like Abercrommie and Fitch where there was like am I remembering correctly, like wood paneled shutter.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was Abercrommie and Hollister, Yes.
Speaker 1: Both of them, but me Fitch couldn't afford Hollister, So I'm just kind of like mosying around seal walking out with like a very thin gold scarf covered in sequence, and I'm like, I guess I'm the fagot from High School Musical. I guess that's my role in the rye Ryan. I guess that's what I'm doing. But then the thing with the mall is I would only go if I was anything as a teen is I was hungry.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like I was like Beyonce and the Homecoming documentary, which goes and I'm hungry.
Speaker 3: And I was hungry.
Speaker 1: So everyone else is trying to like fit into their skinny jeans and I'm like.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to go to a Pandim Express.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to go to anti Ann's Orange Julius, let's go.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to go get a free sample outside the Chinese food.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Sam.
Speaker 1: I was walking by and they were like holding out with the toothpicks, and I was like, one more one.
Speaker 2: You just keep walking by doing characters really French accents, mustache, I'm going to wet sea?
Speaker 3: Wait did?
Speaker 1: Were y'all wearing many tank tops as children.
Speaker 4: I was definitely. I definitely had was a pop collar kid.
Speaker 3: Holy that is so fucking cute.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't even like pure prep. I was just trying to be prep, but it was kind of like half prep, like this like Polo that I got for Christmas from like my own.
Speaker 1: No, I was literally like wearing a custom binder because had huge fucking boobs and wearing like fifteen tank tops on top of myself, like alright, rip to my boobs, like literally creating a binder out of nothing. I was like, that's just flatten this ship down. Did your moms have movie theaters?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Not mine? Oh about are tragic?
Speaker 3: Yes? So it's like I was also sneaking into movies.
Speaker 4: Ooh, now, do you remember like a specific movie that you The.
Speaker 1: First movie I ever stuck into was Jim Carrey's horror flick thriller The Number twenty three.
Speaker 4: Oh, oh my god, deep Cut, Deep Cut, It's about numerology.
Speaker 1: And Chang two thousand and seven, I would say two thousand and seven. Yes, it was this numerology thriller where Jim Carrey was like, I'm not the funny guy anymore.
Speaker 3: I'm not a center.
Speaker 1: I'm a serious actor, and it's this movie where he is haunted by the numerology mysticism of the number twenty three, where he's finding it in all everywhere. He's finding it in nine to eleven, he's finding it in Babylon, he's finding it when Julius Caesar was assassinated.
Speaker 2: So there's a scene where he's like on googling, crunching the number. Yeah, is this calculator, I'll post Eternal Sunshine.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I want to say pre.
Speaker 2: Which I've never seen. There was. What I'm realizing now is there's a couple of years and I think it's when I was in college when I just wasn't really seeing movies. I wasn't seeing like the populist movies that were being released because I was here going to college and I was just like going to clubs everything.
Speaker 3: You're commuting, yeah, and doing drugs.
Speaker 4: When you said Jim Carrey's and then paused, I was just I was really nervous. I was like, what movie is it going to be? Because like Jim Carrey's like era of movies was like crazy, like from The Ace Venture to like his Sad Girl era to that was like eternal Sunshine. What was the other sad girl movie that he did around that time? I can't remember.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: I just really love him, and now he's just kind of like, I don't know, man, he's just some like Venice Beach burnout walking on.
Speaker 2: He's all Jim Carrey, I want to suck.
Speaker 3: And I think.
Speaker 2: That there's a movie that he's in where he Oh. I think it's maybe First Bite where this I don't know this vampire falls in love with him and he's very twinky.
Speaker 3: Me myself and I reen oh.
Speaker 1: And I just feel like, I don't know if he's come out about it publicly, but I just feel like he would apologize for the ace Tura trans misogyny Dick reveal.
Speaker 2: He totally was also I love you Philip Morris. I love you Philip Morris so hot. Yeah, it's actually like a very sweet love style.
Speaker 3: Yes, and one of the strongest. You should have sex with him.
Speaker 2: I will, I will, Jim, if you're out there, Definitely, I consent.
Speaker 3: But I remember that movie.
Speaker 1: I I don't remember if it was no, No, it was definitely one of the Judd Apatow movies because I was speaking into all of those, because I was like these are so trans masculine in a way. I'm I can actually see it convinced that Jonah Hill has a vagina. Like I just like I really do think that he is a trans man who's just like super stout and will never find out. He just is like he's a late bloomer in that way where I watched the like therapy.
Speaker 4: Mode, I was gonna ask you about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did watch it, and it's funny because I'm just like such a sagittarius where I was like, bitch, I've already been doing this, Like basically he's just like with his therapist writing sigils. I'm like, I have been doing this in my like pagan.
Speaker 3: Witch practice since I was seven years old, have you.
Speaker 4: It's like it's literally just like a it's it's Jonah Hill thinks his therapist is like a genius. Yes, like tapes his own.
Speaker 1: Therapy and it is really presh And I just like love people talking about therapy, even though I don't know like therapy can work for you or it can't, like it's up to you. But part of one of the practices that he does with his therapist is that you like create a drawing that's like a roun or a sigil that is a way to like explain a traumatic situation, and you like basically like concoct a spell to like give it this like mnemonic device.
Speaker 3: I know, Like it's really beautiful.
Speaker 1: Was I learned how to do that for my like witch mom Ilva. It's like it's it is like a pagan practice to do that. But I'm like, however, you can learn these tools and you're sharing with other people, like that's the meaning.
Speaker 2: It's just you got it for free and he's paying, you know, Like.
Speaker 1: But his like tattoos are really trans masculine, where it's super like you transitioned a little late in life and now you just like go to a tattoo shop that's called like anchor panther and you're getting like eagle, you know, egle mom tattoo, your birthdate exactly, panther, snake with the dagger, Like those are all of his tattoos right away, And I'm like, it's trans guy.
Speaker 2: Would you fuck j Hill?
Speaker 3: No? But not for any reason.
Speaker 1: I just think that like two goofy guys wouldn't necessarily have good sex.
Speaker 2: You're too goofy.
Speaker 3: We're just it's two goofy guys.
Speaker 4: Did you know that there's a goofy tribe on Grinder?
Speaker 3: Now? Wait, what does that mean? It's like.
Speaker 2: There's what does that mean?
Speaker 4: There are like multiple they're like a handful of tags, like one hundred or so tags that you can act to your profile, and one of them is goofy.
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 4: I think it's just like, yeah, like you don't take it like it's I don't know, there isn't like a serious tag.
Speaker 2: You know. I wish there was this, man, I know you would love the serious rolling.
Speaker 4: I found it literally last night and I added it to my profile for like three minutes, and I was like, no, I can't do this.
Speaker 2: No. That is so because you know, sometimes when someone messages you on Grinder, it shows you what tag they found you via, yes, and so imagine imagine getting a message and it says found you via the goofy tag. That's that's only how I find guys on Grinder is the goofy tag?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, But I also.
Speaker 1: Think that's super bad as super trans because they were just like obsessed with drawing their own genitalia in a way. Then I just think it's kind of transgender. Okay, it's like it's like they just had like folders and folders like filled up with cock and I'm like same, I just think it's kind of trans. But I remember I think it was super Bad that I stuck into because I wasn't seventeen yet or maybe knocked up.
Speaker 4: Or was like super rated R movie. I remember like at the time, like you know, my.
Speaker 3: It was so.
Speaker 1: It was so foul and my parents were like, you're not allowed to see that. My parents were super strict, but I snuck in with my friends. And then one of the attendantcy AMC attendants was like checking tickets because we would buy a ticket to another movie and then go to Super Bad. So I could see the attendant coming up. So I turned to this like dad next week, and I was like, can you pretend to be my dad?
Speaker 3: And he was like yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: So when the attendant came and was like, let me see your ticket, the dad was like, this is my child, and you won't leave them alone. We are trying to watch a movie right now, and I was like whoa.
Speaker 2: And then they tried to lure you back to your car and.
Speaker 3: Groomer, and I was like to catch a bread.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't think I was not groomable. I was a weird looking kid. I was groomble. I was like six football and two hundred pounds.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of with a lot of different tables. He wanted to, Amen, Amen, there's someone out there who would have wanted to take you. I believe that. I believe that, I.
Speaker 3: Really, my inner child really needed to hear that.
Speaker 1: Without a doubt, that's what I was doing at them all, speaking into movies and going to the food court to get snacks.
Speaker 4: Did y'all have like a cinnabon sabarro combo? Yes, we had one of those.
Speaker 2: Yes, we did not have a ciborrow. I don't. I don't think we had a cinnabon either.
Speaker 1: We've also had all of the At the time, I thought that these were like the pinnacle of fine dining, which are like the fat the not fast casual, but like upscale casual chains like McCormick and.
Speaker 4: Schmicks, California Pizza Kitchen.
Speaker 3: California Mother Fucking Pizza Kitchen.
Speaker 1: Fran say that say that I was being my parents every day.
Speaker 3: Let us go to CPK, let us go to CPACH.
Speaker 2: I need that you see, my mall was a little too bougie because when when we moved to Florida and I used to live from Boston, I actually used to live across the street from the mall. That was like the first place we lived in Scia. And at that era of my life, there was a TGI Fridays there and I remember having a birthday party there once and singing along to Umbob. But then the mall got a little more chic, and so the only restaurants were a little more upscale. So we used to have this place called Stir Crazy, which was like I love Pan Asian, you know, Wonderland. That because Ariana Grande grew up in Boca as well. Well she's well she's from del Rey, and I think she said before in an interview that she loved Stir Crazy.
Speaker 3: Did you all have cheesecake factory?
Speaker 2: Yes, Roses Cheesecake. Actually it wasn't It wasn't attached to the mall, but it was nearby. It was my f was my shit that?
Speaker 3: Did you have magic Pan?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: That was like the crapy one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've heard of that. I never bet how I became.
Speaker 1: Actually recently I asked a friend if they were by and she was like, no, I'm pan. I was like, I love that throwback. That's so like Lilith Fair, like you with a tambourine. I was like, okay, Sarah McLaughlin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Bushwick twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like, let's get pan.
Speaker 1: But I had Did you have almond moms like skinny parents?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: My mom was ok so passed down from my grandma.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My mom was always on some kind of diet. Yeah, much like my grandma was when I was a kid. I remember there was one year where my grandma only eight frozen yogurt, like we would go, we would go. It was playing with toppings. It was. It was when my grandparents still lived in Long Island. They had a house. My grandparents were snowbirds, so they lived on Long Island, but they had a house in Boca where they would spend the winter. But we would go up and visit them on Long Island and they would take us to the diner and everyone order food and my grandma would just order frozen yoga. And she always had like bars in the house, like protein bars, and she has this reusable weight Watchers thermos that she's had like front for as long as I can remember. And the last time I was at their house, it was sitting on on the counter and I started crying.
Speaker 3: Why were you crying?
Speaker 2: Just because it like triggered this memory, Like that to me is so comforting, but it also like is a symbol of the my grandma's horrible.
Speaker 3: This entire time.
Speaker 2: It's so depressing, I know. And she's still like we we'll go out to dinner and she'll always ask for the salad with dressing on the side. Just get anything fattening, and it's like, babe, like you might not be here for that much longer, Like get them, get get toppings on the frozen yogurt, chicken.
Speaker 3: Put the mochi on your frozen yoga the little dice strawberries.
Speaker 4: Did you have an almond?
Speaker 2: Mommy?
Speaker 3: I had an almond.
Speaker 1: My mom is really like eating disorders, like really skinny, like doesn't salt her food.
Speaker 3: We didn't even have mashed potatoes.
Speaker 1: She would make mashomatoes with carrots, which is like actually so oppressive and like so dark. But then she also was like can I have a bite of that? Like so she'll just kind a bite of that. She's picking mom, But she is like, I don't add salt anything, it's bad for you. She also literally believes anything that Oprah Winfrey has ever said, and anything that like.
Speaker 3: MSN dot com says, you know.
Speaker 1: So she's like, I don't eat salmon anymore because there's mercury in it.
Speaker 2: But I know it's so hard to be a fat kid skitty with an almond.
Speaker 1: And then my dad, dad, who was always dining so like he and like now he's skinny, but in the scary way where he just looks like a fucking bowling pin.
Speaker 2: Where it's just like from being old. Yeah, because men get thin as they exactly.
Speaker 1: But he also it's like we don't really talk anymore. But when we were talking, I'd be like you okay, you sound weak and he was like.
Speaker 3: Well, it's my fasting day.
Speaker 1: I was like, a bitch, you're yelling at me because you're fucking hungry, like have like have a steak, have a snickers. Where he was always like putting me on juice cleanses and me on, like you'll play light.
Speaker 2: Oh, I have to go to weight Watchers.
Speaker 3: I was on weight.
Speaker 1: Watchers as a kid. I was on at Cans. I'm like, you were putting to.
Speaker 2: Go to the nutritionists.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're putting a twelve year old on Atkins where all they're having is like bacon and.
Speaker 3: Turkey sausage, like you hate me, you hate me.
Speaker 1: Hate me, where it's like I can't have bread, but I can have like I can have like.
Speaker 3: Steak twice a day.
Speaker 1: Like it's not making sense and like all the what not because I want.
Speaker 3: Like this is not a good vibe.
Speaker 1: So the mall to me was like I was able to like cheat and go to day. I would be able to go to cheat day and not tell them and they'd like, what did you eat? And I'd be like, salad, but really I was grass, going fucking ham or say I okay.
Speaker 2: I used to love something the Italian sandwich specifically, so when my mom was dating who eventually became my step dad, they would go on dates on Saturday nights and I would stay home alone and my brother would usually be at Are.
Speaker 3: You the oldest?
Speaker 2: I'm the oldest of my Yes, I'm the oldest. Technically my dad has a I have an older half brother from another marriage, but we didn't grow up together. So like of the kids that I grew up with, I was the oldest. So I got to like, I got to spend Saturday nights alone and would be like, okay, well we'll go rent you a video from Blockbustern and get you something to eat. And what I always wanted was to get subway from the gas station that had a subway attached to it. And I don't know, but I loved it. And then if it tastes like yoga, bat well, Now eventually I graduated to I would like watch My Sex and the City box SE's and order Chinese food. But you were gay, you are gay gay, but there.
Speaker 3: Is I don't think your parents could have done to stop this trade.
Speaker 4: And you know that the subway the subway bread, and like I think Ireland or the UK is legally cannot be constituted as bread.
Speaker 2: Because it's very porous. But when I was sugar, when I was in middle school, I would tear up a chicken karaokee.
Speaker 3: Si, how about pop Elly's, you'll have that at your.
Speaker 2: Love Polly john Sloop Jimmy John Tho. Yeah, Jimmy is good though, And there's one near where I live. I have gone there.
Speaker 1: No, but the Pheromona Jimmy John's is so stale.
Speaker 3: I'm like, it is not like the air it's like airplane.
Speaker 2: But I love that related for is good. It is good.
Speaker 1: It's like I feel like Jimmy John's is like the sexy.
Speaker 3: Tweakers work there, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yes, the guys who like invite you over at four a m. And they can only fun if there's pouring on.
Speaker 1: Where it's they can't really keep it up on their androids when they're making their sandwich. They're watching them sung on.
Speaker 3: Their Samsung Galaxies.
Speaker 1: It's like they have poorn up and you taste it in the sandwich and it's kind of but Subway is kind of a little bit more like perk.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit more like you're barely away.
Speaker 2: It's a out barbituates yea boots.
Speaker 1: And your pot belly is that you have was there like aloft in the pot bellies people.
Speaker 2: What not that pot.
Speaker 3: Belly has had?
Speaker 1: Like he had literally an open mic where like people who were still in my hometown, like men who never left, would like climb up this ladder to the loft and play John Mayer. It's like I would be ordering my Italian sub hearing this guy named Tyler singing like waiting for the world to change, and I was like, I need to get the fuck out of Hollow Park before it swallows me.
Speaker 4: The Jason Ras covers in in my suburb were playing at the Borders bookstore cafe. Oh yeah, that was There was definitely an open mic scenario there where there was like also like slam poetry, probably.
Speaker 2: Talk about where I grew up. It is the Border's bookstore cafe. Also it's also where I got my bars at.
Speaker 3: The Borders were so good.
Speaker 2: Really was not much your boyfriend as a thirty year old man who who picked me up out outside of the New Age spirituality section where I was looking at books about WICCA and I was seventeen, So he was definitely a p out of.
Speaker 3: But he was your friend. Well, he was.
Speaker 2: My boyfriend in that I would tell my mom I was going to rehearsal and I would go over to a theater.
Speaker 4: Yep, and I lied about rehearsal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I would hook.
Speaker 4: Up to go hook up or to just to like go sit in the.
Speaker 3: Park and I'm so jealous. Y'all had sex in high school.
Speaker 2: No, rehearsal was such a good cover for going over to this thirty one year old guy's house and letting him come in my ass.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, so made you a better woman? I did.
Speaker 4: Literally my first boyfriend, I was still in the closet and my boyfriend was out to when did you come out? Uh seven, I want to say seventeen eighteen? Great, I think. And my boyfriend was out to his parents but like his parents were like just weird and bad, and so we were like, where do we hook up? My I had a key to my mom's office and I why, yes, she trusted you.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't want to trust sucked in your mind.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I had it or if I would steal it because I knew my mom like working hours or whatever. But I would go to my mom's office in Hinsdale late at night.
Speaker 2: It's like the nice It's like the Boca of the Southwest, okay.
Speaker 4: And and I would pack no joke. I would pack like a mattress that like a kind of rolling mattress that I had. You're such a blankets and yes, and blankets not going to be uncomfortable, but not joke. And I would pack it in my mom's minivan and bring it to Candle. I did not bring a sen a kettle, but there was probably already one there because you brought.
Speaker 1: Like a glade plug it that you could just like pop into the outlets.
Speaker 2: It was incense for the sticks that you like turned over incense that I bought it Like whatever those are? Seriously, when did those like spring into existence?
Speaker 3: The sticks?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I feel like when Sharper image came to Oh I love same. I was there again, the back massage from a chair.
Speaker 2: I like sticking my hand into the thing with the needles.
Speaker 3: Loved doing that.
Speaker 2: Yes I do.
Speaker 1: I should do academy and as an adults, Oh my god, how did it feel?
Speaker 2: No? I said I would, Okay, you should. I should buy one on Amazon.
Speaker 3: You actually should. That would be a really pleasant.
Speaker 4: Brookstone was that place for us? The massage chairs?
Speaker 1: What about all the kiosks where it's like, why am I getting.
Speaker 3: My hair straight right now?
Speaker 1: Eastern European refugee that like the only job that she can get. I'm like, why is Olga straightening my hair right now? But I was like literally, but I was like, she's hot. I remember that the girls working at the kiosks were so sexy.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. But the mom and my sister's hair. That was so accurate. But they were also had been sex traffic.
Speaker 3: Why are they women straightening my hair? And do the Carroten treatment on me right now?
Speaker 2: The male order bride.
Speaker 3: Yes, I was like, I will save you in love with her.
Speaker 2: Speaking of hair treatments, I like exclusively got my hair done at the salon at the mall justwhere. When I was sixteen, I got my hair chemically straightened. No, no, you did not. It was like to my shoulders. You were so okay, give me once again.
Speaker 3: Okay. I was worried for you.
Speaker 2: Why did you make that alive?
Speaker 1: Because when a kid is that much of a faggot, they don't always make it.
Speaker 3: They were letting you out. My kid was that gay. I'm homeschooling now.
Speaker 2: I almost didn't make it, but I went to an art school. That's how I survived.
Speaker 3: You were famed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did not have public.
Speaker 3: No, because you should not be allowed to go to public in that gay No.
Speaker 2: No, no.
Speaker 1: If you're at like the Redkin lounge, your hairically straightened at the John Frieda.
Speaker 2: Ouse and I had a little flat irons. Yeah, po champoo conditioner combo.
Speaker 1: I was the red the red because yeah, you are notemically straightened and wearing like American eagle buttoned down.
Speaker 3: Sweetie, this world. You're too pure for this.
Speaker 2: Like I was an extra in the L word.
Speaker 3: You were giving dyke like it's giving dyke.
Speaker 2: No, I well I might, actually it must.
Speaker 4: What was were there? Was there like how many years were you a goth? Because goths are allowed?
Speaker 2: That was the middle. Okay, so this is the trajectory. Middle school was goth like mal goth topic, and then like yeah, and then like freshman year, freshman to sophomore year of high school. Then junior year was when I was like Abercrombie America Hollister, and then my last year of high school was like Indie like Converse r.
Speaker 3: Like Zoe era.
Speaker 4: Goths were definitely like you know, I was obsessed with them. Yes, they were like on the outskirts of society, but like you know, a mab goths were like allowed to be gay for something.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, they sucking and fucking. Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, there was a click of guys in my high school that I was really obsessed with because they were all like rocker bisexuals and they all just like fucked each other. Then they had hot girlfriends. That's how do I tap in.
Speaker 3: I had to transition, That's what I knew.
Speaker 1: I was like, this world is not going to work out for me in this way because I have a little thing bubbling up in my mind called being transgender that I will not learn about until later.
Speaker 3: But I was so obsessed with them in high school.
Speaker 1: I was like giant tall tea covering up my whole body with like Bob Marley turning into a lion. That's what I would wear, and like jeans and chucks that was my.
Speaker 3: I was them.
Speaker 1: I was going to the store that was like the Native American store at the very suburban troupe, but I like was wearing the shirts that had like bowl on it. That's like Homeland Security, because.
Speaker 4: I was like the Mountain, Yeah, you were trying to you were pro indigenous.
Speaker 1: I was like, hello, I have a feeling I'm on stolen land right now. I'm gonna fucking do something about it, bitch.
Speaker 2: And what you were going to do?
Speaker 3: Sure? That was the original land acknowledgement. He wearing a shirt in high school was sitting bull on it. And I was still from urban outfitters.
Speaker 2: Obviously, Well that's you know powers to the people one.
Speaker 1: Hundred percent, and I would get caught and I would just run and catch the train.
Speaker 4: I've never I don't know if I did. I tell this in the pod last time. I got caught stealing from Urban Outfitters and I was like banned for like ten years.
Speaker 3: It's so traumagized. Did your parents find out?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: No, Because I was in college by that, no one would have to.
Speaker 3: I was stealing from a mayor pair in Urban Outfitters.
Speaker 2: I got caught stealing from Universal Studios and was banned for seven years. But then I transitioned. So what were they going to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are they going to do? Good? Good luck?
Speaker 3: Feeling car Potter day, I knew I looked in your eyes.
Speaker 2: And she tried. I knew that J k Rawlling was a turf and before she came out and I was rec I was not going to give her my money.
Speaker 3: How did a wand? This feels like really easy to steal, no offense, it's.
Speaker 2: A big box. But it was a big box and I had to get the wand down and then I stuck it up the sleeve of my shirt. I actually, like, I think in a mall, I would have gotten away with it, but universal like they there shoppers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, were you Harry Potter? I was, yes, and you obviously I was waiting.
Speaker 2: At I have a deathly hallows tattoos down. I do not know. I did fill it in before she even came out as a turf, because I was like, something smells you.
Speaker 1: Your intuition was telling you something was going to go awry.
Speaker 2: I knew you, fucking I knew without I knew with my chemically straightened hair, you.
Speaker 1: Got a whiff of something. No, I wasn't Harry Potter.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: What I was reading in high school and middle school were those books called like crank Do you know what I'm talking about? Okay, where it's like these really big books and then the cover all about like a different drug, different vice ruining a woman's life.
Speaker 3: And I only I just read those.
Speaker 4: It was in the kind of go ask alice and cut genre.
Speaker 1: Precisely hair called my book would have been called like weed. My book would have been called like weed, and it would have been like a five hundred page book about me like really wanting to dread my hair, but knowing that I wasn't allowed to do that.
Speaker 3: And like surrendering to that truth and.
Speaker 1: Like smoking weed out of apples and trying to convince boys to kiss me.
Speaker 4: My book would have been called dog Ketamine from Mexico City. Yeah, what would your what would your book be called?
Speaker 2: Book? Would have my bo would be called like my mom's credit card.
Speaker 3: Would have been called.
Speaker 1: Chart charge charge debt, debt, absolutely debt.
Speaker 2: Slid into our dms at Like a Virgin four twenty sixty nine, and let us know what's your favorite store at the mall? Where do you go when you hit up the food court? Are you a mal gothamal rat? A mall gay? Is our floor manager? What's the tea? Next week we will be back with an episode all about the Golden Girls with Bobby Finger from a weekly very exciting buy our merch at Like a Virgin four twenty sixty nine dot com. Become a patron at Patreon dot com, slash like a Virgin for weekly bonus episodes, including our one this week on the Ultimatum, and follow us at Like a Virgin four twenty sixty nine on Instagram and buy tickets to our live show June twenty six at the Bellhouse at the Bellhouse, Eny dot com. You can also find me anywhere online at Rose DOOMU and you can find me at Friends, squish Goo anywhere you like. Like a Virgin is an iHeartRadio production. Our producer is Phoebe Unter, with support from Lindsay Hoffman and Nikki tor Au revoir.
Speaker 1: Lay.
Speaker 4: Last night I heard the screen Nois slaym Big Yellow Taxi to Gwim mild Man