Speaker 1: Hey, this is Brian Alvarez and this is today's edition of the Wrestling Observer Daily podcast on the eight Side Network.
Speaker 2: By from San Francisco. I'm a sports byline broadcasting network. You are listening to Wrestling Observer Live with your hosts Brian Alvarez and Mike sempervv.
Speaker 3: Are you ready? Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Let's get it off.
Speaker 1: How's it going everybody? Brian Alvarez, You're on Wrestling Observer Live. We are here every day Monday through Friday, New Pacific three Eastern Sunday three, Pacific six Eastern Saturday mornings with a Jim Valley ten and Pacific one Eastern Sundays with andrews Arian. And it is Thursday here on the show. You know that means we got a lot to talk about. We got aw Dynamite last night, which opened with a fifty nine minute and fifty nine second match between MJF and We'll Ospray for the International title, which had a surprising finish to me tell you that much. I'll tell you why later, but we'll tell you about that show as it leads to all In, And of course being Thursday, we got all of the other news SmackDown tomorrow, Rampage Tomorrow, Collision on Saturday, and really nothing else over the weekend. I actually am gonna be going to a show this weekend in Eatonville, Filthy Tom Lawler is on the show and Vinnie and I and Big Wood are gonna be going to this show. So I'll do a travelog for my Twitter subscribers if you want some pictures and video of that trip. But anyway, we'll talk about that and all of the news tonight is the Republican National Convention and Hulk Hogan he's going to be there and he is going to speak, so we're gonna tell you about that, as well as a bunch of news out of CMLL and aew. We've got the NXT ratings from Tuesday night. We got an opponent for Julius Creed coming up at blood Sport, and the lineup for the show thus far, and as always a lot of notes from the aw Dynamite show. Mike Simper vv is going to join us and also Lance Storm. So we got a lot to get into here today and we'll kick it off after the Breakupserver Live.
Speaker 2: Total Wireless is made to totally keep up with you.
Speaker 4: We now have a limited data that never slows you down.
Speaker 5: Covered by the Verizon five G network and for less than thirty dollars a month, we make your phone your ride or die. Switch now would pick a free five G phone with qualified plan purchase and your force line at no additional cost. Visit your local Total Wireless over today Total Wireless, We're totally with you. Actual speeds may vary by location for data management practices Seetotal Wireless dot com.
Speaker 6: Kay hear that that's the sound of uncertainty lurking under your hood? You know the feeling I know, I do that sudden sinking sensation when you see a check engine light or your car unexpectedly breaks down and you're faced with sky high repair bill. It's time to shield against unexpected repairs with car Shield Carshield. This America is most trusted all the protection company and has an a rating with a Better Business Bureau. Don't let the fear of a breakdown keep you up at nine. Trust the Shield car Shield and say goodbye to terrifying repair billiness and hello to peace of mind. Your plan also comes with twenty four to seven roadside as this courtesy tolling, rental car options and so much more. Don't wait until it's too late. Call Carshield now before breakdown, protect your wallet, protect your car with Carshield, get our best protection ever. Call now. You'll thank me later. Eight hundred four to two five two three one seven, eight hundred four to two five two three one seven. That's eight hundred four to two five twenty three seventeen.
Speaker 7: Has someone in your family lost a job recently and now you can't afford your mortgage payment, or do you have a rental property and your tenants aren't paying you. Quick Cash Offer can come to the rescue and pay you cash for your home immediately. Yes, sell your home and get cash all over the phone, without dealing with real estate agents and risking your safety by showing your home to lukewarm buyers. You don't need to lose your home to foreclosure. If you have any equity in your home, we will buy it and give you cash within days, all in a simple over the phone and virtual process. Call Quick Cash Offer now before the economy gets worse. Sell a home you can't afford or just don't want to get the cash you need today.
Speaker 6: Eight hundred seven eight eight one four nine five eight hundred seven eight eight one four eight hundred seven eight eight one four ninety five. That's eight hundred seven eight eight fourteen ninety five.
Speaker 4: What's up. I'm Miles, okay, and I'm Jarre And a little thing we love about the Chick fil A and maple pepper bacon sandwich is how the flavors come together. First that tastes the smoky grilled chicken. Then the pepper bacon with that maple bun added, with the sweet heat and the pickles. I'm really sald on the pickle. It meets you in the middle with the sweetness and the heats. It's spice tasted, yum Lucius flavoristic, the sandwich of the summer, the maple pepper bacon sandwich.
Speaker 1: What are the maple pepper bacon sandwich? On the Chick fil app today available for a limited time. Real guests paid for their testimonials.
Speaker 2: You are listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike simper Vivi on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: The show brain Elver is here Wrestling Observer Live. Well today we got Mike.
Speaker 3: I'm here.
Speaker 1: We don't have a lance yet, not quite yet, but we're working on it, and uh, you know what, if it don't work, worst case scenario, I'm just gonna call him on the phone because he's got a lot of he wants to talk about.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Sure does good, especially that Dynamite show. He watched it.
Speaker 3: It's a pretty good show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he still says, no audio. Well, now he's not connected, brother.
Speaker 3: Live radio everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is so hard. I'll tell him now you're not connected. So anyway, you're Hulk Hogan's speaking to the republic National Convention tonight.
Speaker 3: The Republican National Convention. Yes, I did hear that. I did hear that. I hope the Washington Post has got some extra help tonight. He is going to be I would assume working in overdrive. If it comes to how Hulk Hogan has been, you know, he's wrestled, Brian. I don't know if you know this or not. He wrestled four hundred and fifty five times in one year. Because he kept going.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's ridiculous, zones, don't be preposterous. Why is this news, says lasting. Well, because it's a wrestling show, and one of the most famous wrestlers of all time is in fact speaking at the Republican National Convention today. So that is in fact news.
Speaker 3: And it is a wrestling show, and it is a wrestling show. Lance, what's going on there?
Speaker 8: I am here?
Speaker 1: Fine, Finally it worked these stupid computers.
Speaker 8: And the nominee at the RNC is in fact a WB Hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, although they don't mention that at all anymore. As soon as as soon as he got elected the first time, they stopped mentioning that altogether. They never mention it. It's top secret now. Although they don't like pull anybody out of the Hall of Fame. It's like, once you're in it, it's like cement, you cannot be pulled out for any reason whatsoever. So anyway, we'll see what Hogan says tonight. We'll see if he comes out to real American.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah you will.
Speaker 8: We'll see guarantee the what's the over under on the brother count?
Speaker 1: You're hold on a second, You're guaranteeing he's coming out to a real American.
Speaker 3: Yes, because that I don't why would you do it? I can't see him coming out. What was his band, the Hulk Hogan Boot Band, and he had the WCW music No way is it American made? He is coming out to real American. They are going to license it from whoever has got the rights to do that type of licensing and pimp that thing out there. You hear it everywhere. Why would you not hear it tonight? I bet you Trump would want to have that as his theme music going throughout the entire Now. I don't know if he'll be able to do that, but I guarantee you he would love to have that.
Speaker 1: Well, I will make you a five dollars bet he does not come out to real American. All right, I'll make a five dollars bet, and we'll see what happens tomorrow.
Speaker 3: I've heard you're a bet walcher.
Speaker 1: Now you're a post had his story and they said that it was not immediately clear what Hogan would be speaking about. Hmmm, huh. I think he'll be talking about Mania three and how he slammed under the Giant for it.
Speaker 8: No, he'll talk about Mania five because he won the belt in a Trump building.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, that's true. That's true. All right, brother, A lot so Lance before we get going, you wanted to talk a little bit about the trademark situation.
Speaker 8: Yes, Oh, well, yeah, you had mentioned that w B had trademarked Ethan Page's name despite him using it elsewhere, and you know, Dave was talking about how this was somehow new. I don't know when they started, but I know in two thousand and four, and I believe the idea was the video game and the merchandising people realized that ww didn't actually own the trademark on many of the names they were merchandising, and I got what I would consider a panic response from the office that they needed to trademark my name right away and emphasize that I would still contain ownership of it, and it's in my contract that I own lance Storm, so much so that they actually fed exed the paperwork to Edges wedding because I told them, it's like, I can't sign it. I'm not home. I'm in Tampa at Edge's wedding, and they fed exed it, I think, to Christian's house and when I read it, I'm like, it was two thousand and four, and I'm like, I'm not on the roster anymore. If you managed to market and merchandise lance Storm for three and a half years while I was in the company without trademarking. You don't need to trademark it now, lance Storm doesn't exist. I'm a trainer, leave me alone, And I believe they trademarked it anyway.
Speaker 1: Well did you get money for it?
Speaker 3: Well, they haven't.
Speaker 8: Merchandised it since IC see. Well but they were doing it back twenty years ago.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, that's like, I mean, he'll get his name back when all is said and done, unless he's there forever. I mean, who knows.
Speaker 3: So Hey, look, I get it if you want to recreate yourself as some sort of character that you're going to work on with WWE, and I can understand it. If WWE's got something like the Undertaker that they bestow upon you, that's great. But it just seems like, in twenty twenty four, in many ways, we should be past that because there is only one other company in aw and there is value in someone else's persona and name, so to let them carry that as long as it's not a one hundred percent creation from the company itself, and it's ethan page all ego to me, you go ahead and do that, because what value would he have? In my opinion? And this is no offense to him, No, slants, you know, slandering of his talent, but he's a deal because that's who he is, Ricky Starks. If he were to leave AEW, he would be Ricky Starks in WWE or NXT. That to me is value to me and this day and age, it's crazy not to do that. Well, they could do.
Speaker 8: What they've done in the past, like they did with Harry Van Eric the Texas Tornado. They brought him in, initially used Harry von Eric. They did with Paul White too, used his real name for the value of whatever that amounted to, but over time dropped what they didn't own and just built the Texas Tornado and the Giant because they didn't want to build equity in something they didn't own.
Speaker 3: And mister Perfect I guess too as well, even though that gimmick was you know, was a great one, but he was mister perfect Kurt Hennig and then that did disappear.
Speaker 1: It's just interesting because nowadays, you know, they bring in they like jul Is coming in as Julia, they talked about her on NXT by that name, and Stephanie Mcare's coming in as Stephanie Vicaire. They talked about her on NXT, and you know Gable Steveson, he was in his Gable Steveson. But then you've got other you know, Olympians that are coming in with fake names to this day still, so I don't know what you know everyone's it's like case my case basis with.
Speaker 8: People like Julia and Stephanie Vicaire. It's like there was a bidding war for these people, so it would be in their best interest to tell w B. It's like, well, aw will allow me to keep my name and build that that's a big plus. Will you match it? And if you have the leverage to do it, you'd be crazy not to. It's like, keep your name, build your name so that you have that leverage. And if you're just you know, Joe Schmoe looking for a developmental deal, you don't have that leverage.
Speaker 3: And granted this was under Vince, but they did change EO Sharai's name. She was Sharai in NXT, was she not? Before she became EO Sky And when she got called.
Speaker 1: Well, it was weird because a lot of people would debut in NXT and on their very first day they would be announced by whatever their name was. EO Sharai but then as they made their entrance, a new name would appear on the screen and that would be their name from that point forward.
Speaker 3: Well that's what happened with Kenta, right.
Speaker 1: Well a lot of people actually, yeah, that was weird. It's like we got Eyo Sharai. Here's Eo Sharai. And then as she came, it was like Surrey when she went through that magic portal, her name magically changed and they never used the the old name again. All Right, we're not going to talk about the I'm gonna talk about Dynamite yet. We'll do that after the break because I know Lance got a lot to say. But NXT on Tuesday should mention six and ten thousand and a point to zero. And again, this was head to head with the MLB All Star Game, and I even know, you know people in WWE, they were like, whatever Monday and Tuesday do, it doesn't matter. It's it's the you know, MLB All Star Game is gonna destroy him. But actually it didn't. Raw was down a little bit and NXT was down a little bit, but realistically they both held up really well going up against the Actually I think it was a home run derby on Monday in the All Star Game on Tuesday. But I mean they both did fine. They were down a little bit, but it was no you know, disaster or anything.
Speaker 3: When it comes to baseball and hockey, if your product is good, the postseason will affect it, and things like this will affect it, but not as bad as you think. If you're good, your fans usually stay with you all right.
Speaker 1: Back in a moment with more Observer Live.
Speaker 2: You are listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike SIMPERVV on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: Begging the show. Brian Albarez here Wrestling Observer Alive, Mike semper vv, also of Wrestling Observer dot Com, and Lance you watched that Dynamite show last night? I did, and uh it opened up with will Ospray and MGFF for the international title, and going in I thought, well, you know, MGF is gonna win this title. They're gonna go to Wembley, They're gonna rematch Will Osprey is gonna beat MJF. Maybe even when Daniel Garcia returns and screws MGF. I don't know if that's gonna happen there or not. And they can do MGF and Daniel Garcia all out two weeks later. But anyway, the point is I always watched the West Coast feed, and so nearly everything is always spoiled for me by the time I watched the show. By this time, what was spoiled for me was that they went in hower and so I started watching this match. I'm watching the entire match thing, and they're going to a one hour draw, and so I was astounded when with two seconds left, MGF won the title. So they got me, even though I thought I knew what happened. But I thought this was an exceptional match, Lance, What did you think?
Speaker 8: I thought it was really good too, although I had to watch it in a couple of sittings because I have a life in the evening and dogs to attend to two, so I can't sit still for a whole hour to get through a match. I thought it was really good. The exception that I took was listening to you and Dave this morning with your you know, they didn't wrestle like it was going to be a long match, and I'm like, well, MJF like rolled out of the ring and started playing the crowd for it even start it was reminiscent of when I broke in, where we would, you know, challenge each other, see how long we could go before you tied up.
Speaker 1: But well, yeah, but I mean I will. I will defend it in one way, and that is that if you watch any MJF match, he always does that at the beating of the match, even if he's going ten minutes, he's got the spot where.
Speaker 8: You know, the stall for dynamite is usually hit action right away. And so I knew they were going along. And again not a criticism, it's like they went longer than I would have been able to suck it up and go through. And it was really good what I saw. I think I saw it all again. I saw it in a couple of sittings, but it was really good. There was one spot, because I am a cy brain logic guy, that drove me crazy. There was the one spot on the floor where MGF went screw this, threw his hands up and hoped the railing and started to leave. I'm like, will just let him. He doesn't want the title, screw them. Why would you prevent someone from quitting and retain your title. I just it doesn't make sense for the challenger to go. Yeah, I'm done, I want to leave. So just a small logic thing that drove me crazy. But they worked hard and it was quite good. I'm certainly not lighting their work or the quality of the match anyway.
Speaker 1: What did you think, Mike?
Speaker 3: I thought it was great. You know. One of the things, like Lan said, you know, one of the things I liked was Osprey was the one who got the table, because if he got disqualified, I mean sure people would be disappointed, but he's the champion. He would still go home with the belt. So I like how they did that. It could have been you know, I get people out there, it could have been shorter. Yeah, it could have been shorter, but that wasn't the story they were telling. The clock was the fourth person in the ring, and they wanted to tell this story with them going neck and neck all the way up until the end. And people were stunned when Bryce Rensisberg hit three and MJF was the champion. And I thought, as far as this day and age goes, that was as close to Flare and Steamboat going sixty minutes as you can get with Flair. As the twenty twenty four Rick Flair and will Osbury doing these crazy athletic things. For the entire time. I thought it really was great. And I don't know, you know, they're gonna obviously have a rematch at some point down the line. I don't know if you want to do MJF and Pack, you know, I don't know if that's the type of match you want to do a Wembley, but you're gonna have a stack card.
Speaker 1: M JF and Pack. They're not doing that at Wembley, and Jeff and.
Speaker 3: Osprey, well do that well, and then we'll look at Pack.
Speaker 1: I'll get a shot, I'm sure between now and then.
Speaker 3: Well you have. But the thing is you have all in or all out two weeks later, So you could there's ways you could do it if you wanted to showcase and have Pack, you know, again, have a big match in his home country. You could do that if you wanted to, and then save it for the next pay per view only two weeks later. So to me, it was just I thought it was great and I thought it was again a real a real surprise and a real treat. How they have, what the pacing was throughout the whole thing. I thought it Both of them I thought were fantastic.
Speaker 1: I'll put another five dollars mic on will Os Ram Jeff at all in.
Speaker 8: I think it's also incredible that MJF to do the hour. Not that it, but this dude does not wrestle very often. How many matches he had and he went in there and put in an hour. That's impressive as all get out.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you well, he's done it with Danielson before. He had that Ironman match with him that went into overtime that was really good. But this was, you know, a different type of match and certainly a different type of opponent. I think, you know, one of the things I wish the announcers would have done, though, is because MJF missed so much time with the hip injury, when he did actually go through the table and land, they were so worried about talking about Osprey that it's like, you know, MJF did damage to himself as well too with this, and they didn't call that back, which I was a little surprised about.
Speaker 1: I thought the most amazing thing was that the fans were more furious that MGF won with two seconds left than if we'd had a draw. And I've had people say, well, you know they would have they would have cheered for a draw or whatever. It's like, no, they wouldn't have. We had that was that? What's that match was? It didn't didn't Bang Bang Gang and FTR go to a draw? I think it was there have been a couple of of of draws and people don't like the draw. They want to finish, and they got to finished with two seconds left, but because of who it was winning, they were furious, like.
Speaker 8: Wow, Well, I think this ties in well to my other issue with Dave's review of things, the Mercedes Money Britt Bakery segment where Dave was talking about, oh, then you know when when you know how to execute it, you know, these simple angles work. It's like no, when you have a over babyface and a heel with heat, simple angles work. And I'm tired of him talking about, oh, you know, baby faces and heels are trans positional and they it's like no, when you have a baby face. They love will Ospray, Britt Baker and a heal, the audience despises MJF. Mercedes Money. Simple stuff works. Everyone wants will Osprey to win, everybody wants Britt Baker to win, and it makes simple things work transitional heels and babyfaces that are just oh, you know, circumstantial. Whatever it works, it's like, yeah, you can get away with it, but it's not ideal and it doesn't work the best.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 1: It's also when people are confused about who's what it's, you have to do a lot more complicated things to make them understand. Whereas when we already know, okay, who do we hate, who do we like, you don't have to do anything. I mean literally, Britt was in the audience in a sting mask. She attacked Mercedes and Mercedes ran away. That's it, That's all you had to do. And last week the angle they did was all so simple. It's like, you know, put the baby face, have them chase the heel away, don't touch and that's it. Now they have to keep this up for another what is it five weeks of not touching but still doing angles, and I guess you don't have to do something on every single show, But so far it's like, it's perfect, it's easy. What else do we have on the show. We had TV time with Chris Jericho to set up in nor Suzuki facing Jericho next week with the Learning Tree banned from ringside. It is an FTW title match, So I wonder if that means we'll get a new member of the Learning Tree because I don't know if Jericho is going to beat the guy clean, but I guess we shall see.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because they did specifically say the two people were banned, So yes, a new branch.
Speaker 1: Who's the new branch? No Night of My Kid?
Speaker 3: No, hmm, I.
Speaker 1: Don't think we need a heal that small?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Oh, with Brian Keith already serving in that role.
Speaker 1: Who could be the new who could be the new branch?
Speaker 3: Somebody that's already there who they're not using.
Speaker 1: People in the chat think it's going to be Sammy.
Speaker 3: That actually would make a lot of sense, and it would bring him back. It would be a big deal, you know, be real over the top with it. That would be a really good idea. Actually, he's been one of the guys that has really benefited from a relationship with Jericho. In my opinion, on screen, it's still to be told with Bill and certainly with Brian Keith. I know, Brian, you love it, but you know things are still to be seen there. But Jericho's best partner throughout the entire time, AW has been in existence, has been Sammy and that would be perfect.
Speaker 1: You know. The other thing that man, oh man, that that uh that segment with I guess it was Mariah coming at his times Tony Man. These fans, they just got her the what treatment? This was like her big after all that time. This was her big promo after turning on Tony Storm, and everyone just chanted what And she gave her speech and there was a brief we want Tony chant and then you know, the fans, another half of the fans were like, no, we don't. I was like, man, that was not the reaction I expected for this big, this big first speech after laying out Tony Storm.
Speaker 8: How long do you think it took most of the people sitting in the stands to realize it was actually Mariah.
Speaker 1: May I think a long time. They did an exceptional job, you know, making her up to look like and if you're watching at home, you know they also hated the black and white, so it was even better. And then everyone's talking about Tony Shavanni's line where she's just standing there not saying anything, and Tony Shavanni was like sixty something, he goes, well speak be come on now, because ipt he actually said the word, and I mean, I don't mean to laugh, but like, this was one of those moments where the other announcers were caught completely off guard, and it was both Taznik's caliber were like, oh god, Tony Chi. They were appalled, absolutely appalled and like totally out of character. They were just like shocked and couldn't believe their ears. Yeah, it was like, oh my god, that was a line back in a moment it was ever alive.
Speaker 11: Attention. Then here's a great way to have more fun in bed and save money. If you to take something like viagra. They can give you a way to pay as little as two dollars a pill. Yes, two dollars a pill. Compare that to prices as high as sixty dollars per tablet. These pills work for men to improve their performance and confidence. You'll love them. And now for the price of two or three pills, you can get fifty or more for around one hundred dollars. You'll save hundreds of dollars off retail prices. That's enough to buy your data nice dinner. Don't pay expensive prices for viagra. Call now order fifty or more of our blue pills and pay as little as two dollars a pill and save hundreds of dollars. Call any time for confidential shipping.
Speaker 6: Call Steelman pills now eight hundred nine sixty five one two nine five, eight hundred nine sixty five one two nine five, eight hundred nine sixty five one two nine five. That's eight hundred nine six five twelve ninety five.
Speaker 10: This is a true sad story for ADT, the leader in home security systems. My favorite dog, Oliver, was stolen from our garage recently. If I had a camera system installed in my home from ADT, I would have known exactly what car possibly pulled up in my driveway and stole my little friend. If I had a security system from ADT, my dog would still be here. I called ADT this weekend and they're coming out in a few days to install a camera and a new security system. Unfortunately, it's a little too late for me. Listen, protect everyone you love in your family. Call ADT now, have them come out and give you a quote to install a full security system in your home. Don't let it be too late for you.
Speaker 2: Call right now.
Speaker 6: Paid for by the Home Security Hotline eight hundred three six one three four nine one eight hundred three six one three four nine one eight hundred three six one three four ninety one. That's eight hundred three six one thirty four ninety one.
Speaker 9: What would you do if you had a broken bone, You'd go to the doctor and use your insurance, right, Well, what would you do if you have a serious problem with drugs and alcohol? Most people do nothing until it's way too late. Your insurance can help you get clean and sober with the assistance of a place like the Detox and Treatment Helpline. Many times addiction treatment is fully covered. So why not use your insurance to treat your addiction problem, just like you would if you had a broken bone. And with a Family Medical Live Act, you're allowed to take time off by law and your employer doesn't need to know the reason. So there are two good reasons. You've got insurance you can use for your addiction problem. And with the Family Medical Live Act, it's completely confidential. Call now eight hundred seven seven one four one two five. That's eight hundred seven seven one forty one twenty five. Eight hundred seven seven one four one two five eight hundred seven seven one forty one twenty five.
Speaker 2: You were listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike semperviv on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: Lance, I hear it's a special anniversary today, Is that right?
Speaker 8: Yes, it's I guess twenty three years ago today I won the US Title Tournament defeating Mike Gossible, Buff Bagwell, Shane Douglas and Mike Awesome in the finals.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have what history and I am there are these things at the top of my head. Yeah, well, congratulations Lance on being a was a former champion of this country.
Speaker 8: That was a busy night.
Speaker 1: Could you speak of the RNC tonight, by the way, as a former US champion?
Speaker 8: I don't think so. No, I'll take a hard pass on that one.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, because.
Speaker 3: There's footage there of him being a trader and then turning it into the Canadian Heavyweight championship.
Speaker 1: That shouldn't disqualify him. If you want Texas here today, four two five seven eight zero seven five sixty six is the phone number. We're gonna take some text message questions. Four two five seven eight zero seven five sixty six questions for me Lance. Mike can also email me at for w one line at gmail dot com. You can also follow me on old x at Brian Alvarez and you can subscribe as well. It can be one of my Twitter followers. I only communicate with my Twitter subscribers. I've given up on the rest of you. No offense, but uh was wasting my time energy. No offense I mean offense to about ninety eight percent of the people that follow me for free on Twitter. I mean no offense to anybody who pays. Sounds horrible, like I will only talk to you on Twitter if you pay me. But for those people that are actually paying, it's like this is totally worth it. Like we have real conversations and talk to each other and connect and pictures and news and it's a it's a you gotta pay to get into a club, right huh uh So yeah, it's just us. It's a small fee for civility, that's it.
Speaker 3: So anyway, I'm trying to think of a takeoff of Club Shashe for you, but I can't think of any.
Speaker 1: And we had Ocott and Swerve Champion versus Champion, which was exactly exactly what I thought would happen, a nothing match, and eng when people ran in and then everybody involved in blood and guts brawls, and that's what happened. This o'cot is making his money. Brother, He's just making his money.
Speaker 3: He's he money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of man, he's into money too.
Speaker 3: Monday, somebody said on Twitter, it's like they've turned him into long Duck Dong from those old eighties movies with Molly Ringwold and whatnot. But he's had this is what he wants to do. Remember was the guy that lost his mind at one point in New Japan because he was so depressed that he lost the IWGP title that he was carrying around balloons and had his long trunks on and was out there. So Okata has got a goofy side and he he's getting paid a lot right now to do that and not killing his body. So there you go. Look and the fans are responding to him. That's also the bottom line of this is aw fans have not lost anything seemingly when it comes to Okada. They absolutely love every time he's on screen.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the question we got to ask is, uh, how little is he going to do in blood and guts? You know what I mean?
Speaker 8: Well, I think more than that, the important thing is and this is really important? Is he willing to and I believe he will be willing to pull the trigger and really go when the time comes, because if he hasn't got a major top program currently, this is good use for him and save the blow the doors off the place and really shock people when there is an important singles program.
Speaker 1: Well, we're gonna find out. I got people saying he's gonna go all out next week, and I'll bet he doesn't. It's a multi person, man, what's the point Like there's there's plenty, I mean, just like good let Darby go all out. You know he's gonna so.
Speaker 3: Uh. I wonder how long it takes before they get to Okada and Hangman because remember their interaction last week when Hangman was banging on the door and got in Okada's face. Maybe he doesn't like new friend and that could be something down the line as well too, when it's time to either flip page back or make Okada really go all out with him as a baby face.
Speaker 1: I can't believe I'm gonna read this text, but this person says Hogan is only speaking because here Trump might run against Kamala.
Speaker 8: Let me tell you something, brother, I've faced Kamala before.
Speaker 1: Every single one of these text messages has to do with Hogan. Apparently, Hogan will be speaking at the RNC tonight. I wonder if he'll claim he single handedly ended Desert Storm when he beats Slaughter at WrestleMania. Seven people seem to be in this uh this thing?
Speaker 3: Uh night instead?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's going on with T and A to night? What's coming up this weekend?
Speaker 8: There is a tag team title match the I don't know if we can call them the Hardy Boys. I suppose I can hear, but not on our show.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 8: The brothers Jeff and Matt Hardy are challenging the system for the tag team titles.
Speaker 1: I mean, should you technically be able to call them the hard brothers because they are the Hardy Brothers.
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 8: I think there's just the issues you you can't use Hearty boys, especially with the Z. I would imagine the Hardy Men or a Z for you American folk.
Speaker 3: So then this weekend the Z is different In Canada, it's a z Z yes, what like Hardy's X y Z is the pronunciation of the letters you.
Speaker 1: Know, not what are you doing? It is in Canada A B, C, D E F g h R S t U V wx y Z Yes.
Speaker 8: And in Canada in Montreal, sold out Slammiversary Saturday, where we've got the six way world title match, We've got PCO in a title match, Speedball, Mike Bailey, I believe, and it's gonna be a big show. Slamiversary is sold out and then we're taping again on Sunday. So if you can't get into Slamiversary, show up on Sunday.
Speaker 3: The concession stand. There's milk in a bag.
Speaker 8: Depends on what province you're in.
Speaker 3: Really, yes, it's a regional thing.
Speaker 8: Ontario you buy milk in a bag, but not in Alberta. What they sell it in bags You have a plastic jug that you put the bag in and you snip the tip off it. Milk is sold. It is sold in cartons as well, but in Alberta it's in plastic jugs a bladder.
Speaker 1: You're trying to sell me on going to Canada for this Slammiversary weekend with that news. I don't even know the proper alphabet. Are there any other letters that I'm saying wrong? As an American?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but you I have to speak French too.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's a whole other language in Montreal. I don't think milk is your concern.
Speaker 3: Montreal night life might be.
Speaker 1: I like milk. Who would your dream wrestling match be between any era, any wrestler. I would love to see Abe Lincoln versus Nick Gage. Lincoln would saw that guy to pieces.
Speaker 8: What do you think, Lance, Well, if I'm going to pick a dream one, it's gonna be me versus someone I would I would take a prime Ricky Steamboat as a baby face against me as a heel, and I'd be a very happy man.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, that Ricky Steamboat wasn't too bad.
Speaker 8: He was a pretty gosh darn good baby.
Speaker 1: God that match. We were watching WWF Challenge and it was, oh god, who was it they was facing. I mean he'd been around like forever, dating back to you know, like the JWA. It was Tiger Chung Lee. They had a Tiger Chung League Ricky Steamboat match on Challenge, and I mean it was like it was just slightly above the level of being a squash match, but like they gave Tiger Chung Lee some stuff and it was a first match that Ricky Steamboat had had since he got hid in the neck throt the ring bell, the throat, which, by the way, still to this day, I'm so absolutely blown away. We went back to watch this okay in twenty twenty four, and it was the angle that got Vinnie into wrestling. It was the first thing he ever saw. That's why Vinnie is doing what he does today. Was that angle. Everybody remembers this angle and what does everybody remember about it? That they called it his larynx?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Everybody remembers about her. Yes, We went back and we watched every single show from the day they showed it on Challenge for six weeks afterwards, recapping it and everything. And during that entire time, every last single person said larynx, except literally there was like one It might have been gene Oakerland one time on one show, said Larynix. The entire rest of the time, I was like, did I grow up in like an alternate universe with everybody else? And now we're on some different timeline where that never happened.
Speaker 8: You remember, the Saturday Night main event is my bet and I'm guessing Vince, said Larynix on Saturday Night main Event, And that's the bigger show that everyone remembers. No one remembers challenge. They remember Saturday Night's main event.
Speaker 3: It might have been wrote it up in the magazines. I remember it being Larynix like, look, you know, but that's well.
Speaker 1: I don't think they would have written in a magazine. They would have spelled it, right, I think.
Speaker 3: I don't know, But that was one that I remember as well too, the whole angle and Bruno San Martino going after Savage in the locker room, which brought Bruno out of retirement for a little while though. Put some mustard on the hot dog, and then you know, Brune was after him. That's what he said, finished him off.
Speaker 1: Well, all I know is anyway to get to the point, it's Ricky Steamboat's return from the from the bell against Tiger Chung Lee. And first off, I mean they locked up and I could have watched on a loop for the rest of my life. It was the greatest lockup you've ever seen. And then they're doing this match and like Ricky's running wild. It's all great, and all of a sudden, bam, Tiger Chung Lee with the chop the knife edge to the throat, and all of a sudden was like and he can't breathe, and he's selling like he's gonna die because he got hit and then super kick to the throat and he's like he's practically dying in the ring, and I'm like, oh my god, Like this is a big fricking deal right here, his first match, he may be killed, and neither announcer Grill and Bobby. They're busy arguing about Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant and the trophy, and they completely totally ignored that Ricky Steamboat is dying before their eyes. And then of course he makes a big comeback and he eats a high cross, okay, and not only does he hit a high cross off the top rope, that's like the finish is a high cross, but it is the easiest, lightest.
Speaker 3: He didn't even.
Speaker 1: Touch Tiger Chung Lee with this high cross. And I absolutely loved it. Loved this match almost as much as M Jeff and Osprey good frankly. But anyway, I don't know what the point was, Oh yeah, you wanted to wrestle him, Yes, I would have my match against Tiger Chung Lee. That's who I'd won my match to be against. And I'd be a babyface even though I hate it, all right, let's see what else we have here, any other text messages and or new This person here says, I can't remember the exact podcast you talked about it on recently, I can. It was Sunday you brought up how you would have a match where you, as a smaller guy, would be hitting sup plexes on people, and it felt right in the moment, but then you watch it back and saw how unrealistic it looked. Correct, I would be someone who would be five foot eight in wrestling. Boots always thought if I were to wrestle, I couldn't do any strength spots or suplexes, no matter how much I bulked up. But at least nowadays there are plenty of people in my height who do those spots and look great doing it. Is five eight not considered that small anymore? Or are these guys just that impressive?
Speaker 8: That's for you, Lance, Well, five eight isn't as small as it used to be because you go back and watch some of my stuff from you know, the year two thousand and it's like they were considering making me a cruiser weight while listing me at two hundred and thirty five pounds, so you know, but it's I used to enjoy different opponents so that I could have different kinds of matches. And I think sometimes too, when you're in the locker room with people all the time, you forget how big they are. Yes, I'm always amazed. Every time I would watch a match back with Big Show, I'm going, oh my god, he's gigantic. But when you know him as a friend and spend every day with him in the locker room, you forget how gigantic he is and how ridiculous it would be. If it's like, hey, I'll just pick up the Big Show, It's like no.
Speaker 1: I think the thing too is if you are a small, skinny guy and you're just like doing big guy stuff on other big guys, I think it's just like totally phony looking. But if you had like one guy who's gimmick was that he's small but he's so strong and he would fight for these big things, I think you could make that work. But you know, just going in there is a five ' five, one hundred and forty pound guy, power moving everybody. I just don't get it back in a moment, it was ever life.
Speaker 2: You are listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike semperviv on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: In the show, Brian albaz Here Wrestling Observer Live first Here said, when the Young Bucks were backstage talking about blood and Guts and they announced quote their favorite Hangman will be on the team, Okada shot them a quick look. I like the build. They're sitting up between Ocot and Hangman. However that happens, that could be Wembley. That could be Wembley.
Speaker 3: I'd be for it.
Speaker 1: This person said, Tony's line was hilarious. My girlfriend fell on the floor laughing, and she loves Tony. Absolutely fits with his character. This being Shavani, he's doing that Jim Ross thing where he's old and grumpy.
Speaker 8: Now, it's a lot of Tony's in that company.
Speaker 3: A weird relationship with all the women he interviews. Anyway, Remember how Britt used to treating them for having's sakes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they became great friends. Now it's like Cannon canon that they're great friends. All Right, Well, it's noted Lance. You've got a big weekend coming up in Canada, Slammiversary Weekend. Let's get one more plug before we wrap it up here today.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Impact is tonight, Access TV in the States, Fight Networking Canada, and Yes, Slammiversary Live on pay per view also available through our app and other means that you usually watch. But Slammiversary Saturday is going to be a big night, sold out in Montreal.
Speaker 1: It's a main event.
Speaker 8: I would imagine it is the sixth Way World title match. Moose, Steve Macklin, Frankie Kazarian, Joe Hendry because we believe Josh Alexander and I'm missing Wow nickname it Wow Yeah, big big match.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we're gonna wrap up everybody. That is it. I want to thank y'all for listening. I'll be back later on tonight with Vinnie. On all of our different subscriber options Wrestling Observer dot com for newsletters and podcasts and archives, Apple Music if you just want the podcasts and video, nottw online dot com if you just want video. So check all those options out and that's it. We'll talk to you next time Wrestling Observer Live. You have been listening to the Wrestling Observer Daily podcast on the eight Side Network