Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spafford, joined as always by the one and only Wes Hodkotz. We're coming to you here inside the halls of Lambeau Field from our brand new studio and Wes lots more to talk about with regard to the Packers twenty twenty six draft class. The players. Those draft picks as well as undrafted rookies tryout guys are going to be arriving today throughout the day here in Green Bay for the two day mini camp Friday and Saturday, so we'll get our first glimpse of guys on the practice field, some interviews in the locker room and whatnot on Friday. But for now, I mentioned on our last show, I had some questions I want.
Speaker 2: To know, all right, I've been thinking about this for the last forty eight hours. What is my God for?
Speaker 1: Start exactly like brain.
Speaker 2: Busters or anything, but.
Speaker 1: Just to toss some things back and forth, and some of this will be I'm sure we'll be repeating some of our thoughts from our last show as well, but I'll just start with asking you straight out, six guys who is your favorite pick in this draft for the Green Bay Packers.
Speaker 2: Oh see, this is where I want to do the thing where I'm like, well, this, that and the other thing. Okay, all right, so let's do this because I'll leave some meat on the bone there for you. With the Day two guys, my favorite pick is probably Deny Dennis Sutton. The main reason for that is that is the perfect example, in my opinion, of value meeting need meeting a really intriguing football player. This guy was funny. There was a lot of comparables. I don't know how much. I don't think you're as active on the social media as I am. That's probably a very good thing, but.
Speaker 1: There was also an understatement.
Speaker 2: But there was a lot of charts that people have been bringing out here the last few days about how him Dennis Sutton matches up in terms of the RAZ scores, some of the various categories to some of these draft picks that we've seen, top draft picks we've seen over the last five ten years. There was one that I wish I could source the right person who had put this out there on x but his measurables almost line up the same way with Leonard Floyd, like they're almost to a tee the way. I think there was a little bit of divergence maybe in the weight, but otherwise, like they kind of line up everything forties, bench press, all those type of measurables. Packers got themselves a really good athletic edge rusher who, as we talked about after the draft, I think is going to give them something on special teams too. We talk about the three blocked kicks, but the fact that this guy was a core player in those units too. I mean, I think when you lose a guy like jj A Ningbari, who could not only be a really good hand against the run and give you something in the pass rotation, pass rush rotation, but he was a core special teams guy for all four years that he was here. Now you're using that and you would hope for the Packer's sake that Lucas Vaness is going to graduate off of the punt coverage unit. You're hoping that he's going to be able to focus solely on defense now as he takes a step up the depth chart. So they're going to need guys like Dennis Sutton to come in. Meanwhile, when you look at some of the areas of improvement for him. Like Lance Zerline had pointed out others, it's about developing his array of pass rushing tools. And I think he's going to have the time in the patients and the development process here in Green Bay to do that. When you have a Baron Surrell there, Colin Oliver, Brenton Cox Junior, the Packers have a number of guys that are going to be able to handle the pass rushing stuff really on, while Dennis Sutton takes all those tools that he has and starts to harness them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And for me in this one, I was going back and forth between whether which of the two defensive linemen was my favorite pick in this draft, and I was leaning toward Dennis Sutton. I saw some of those same comparables that you were talking about, and another one is with Daniel Hunter. Yeah, a lot of Ye, there are a lot of things just athletically and when you're talking about the measurables, and obviously Dennis Sutton hasn't played it down in the NFL yet, but just you know, looking at those measurables in those statistics, there's some intriguing comparables there, and just the fact that you could find at the one hundred and twentieth pick in the draft, you could find a pass rusher with twenty five tackles for loss in seventeen sacks in the Big Ten Conference over the past two seasons. That says a lot. I think there's I think there's the potential for the Packers to have gotten some really good value there at a position where as we've been talking about, opportunity is knocking based on the current state of the roster.
Speaker 2: And I thought you made the best kind of analogy and sort of analysis of all when we were doing the Three Things video after the draft where you mentioned I mean, there was some questions about, Okay, well there's no Abdual Hodge anymore, there's no you know, you look at these pass rushers how that have moved on from Penn State, and Dennis Sutton just kept producing. Yeah, regardless of what the circumstances were. It wasn't just all about Okay, somebody was getting so much attention that it freed him up for some one on ones. To some extent, maybe that's true, but when those type of pass rushers were no longer there, he kept producing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then you throw in the fact that the guy blocked three punts last year. He led the nation, led the entire FBS in college football in block punts, and you know, you wonder, you know, maybe is that is that something the Packers can tap into as well? But as I said, I was going back and forth, and so I will focus on the third round draft pick, Chris mccollin, the defensive tackle out of Missouri. And when you're talking about the you know, the athleticism and the measurables and all that, this is a guy that doesn't have that right right. This is a guy where the RAZ score isn't up there with where some of the other Packers draft picks are, et cetera. But I'll go back to what I said on the last show, and this partly goes to the research I was doing on interior defensive linemen for the Prospect Primer series leading up to the draft, where I was looking looking at, you know, the day too, the round two, round three guys who were projected to go in that area, not talking about the round one defensive tackles, but you know who might be available there for the Packers, and most of those guys when you're doing the research and you're looking them up. They're guys that you know, it's like they had one sack here or one and a half sacks there. And McClellan is a guy who you know has the size and the strength and all that is there to stop the run. But he also had six sacks last year, and that is that's really really impressive for an interior defensive linement. And again in a conference like the SEC. You know, so I don't know how much McClellan is going to play as a rookie. I mean, if the Packers get DeVante Wyatt back full strength from that awful leg injury and in Detroit last Thanksgiving, and you've brought in Javon Hargrave, you still have Carl Brooks, who's now going to be a fourth year veteran, you know, on this team. They don't need to ask Chris McClellan to go in there and get six sacs as a rookie. That's not the point. But where he could be down the road with what he's bringing to the table right now, I'm really really intrigued by that and the fact that Brian Goutukunz was very upfront with us saying that McClellan was a consideration in the second round at pick number fifty two when they took Brandon Seesay, and he was still there in the third round, but he wasn't one hundred percent convinced he was going to get all the way to eighty four, so he made the move, traded up seven spots to seventy seven, made sure he got him, and then as you pointed out, between seventy seven and eighty four, there were two other defensive tackles that won off the board. So yes, very likely Chris McClellan may not have been there. And I think things really fell into place nicely for the Packers with Gutakunz making the aggressive move.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so many times we talked Mike about, Okay, what can a guy give you right away as a year one contributor, And I think the focus is so heavily on well, what does it mean for week one or week two? But keep in mind when you look at Kenny Clark, when you look at DeVante, why when you go back and look at the Mike Daniels, their production it was there, but it was all during that final stretch of the regular season, during their rookie campaigns, and in Kenny's case, it ended up taking him over a year to get that first NFL sack. It's about the progression, it's about getting them in the system. And you're right when you look at the defensive front this year, this first year under Jonathan Gannon, with this transition that they're going to make with this defensive front, it's going to be on Devonte Wyatt and Javon Hargrave to be the guys that are sort of carrying the torch there with the Carl Brooks who now enters that fourth year. As you pointed out, these are guys now that have a lot of reps, a lot of snaps underneath their belt. So it's an intriguing thing. There's a lot of question marks there as far as okay, who's going to be the guy right? How is the four or five man rotation going to shake out? But behind those first three guys in that spot is a world of opportunity, whether it's McClellan, whether it is you know, an Azier Stackhouse or Warren Brinson coming back, Jonathan Ford, who gives you a different type of body type at that position. That's where green May needs to get to and I feel like to get there, you have to keep guys coming up in the system. And Green Bay made a big decision this offseason when they traded Colby Wooden was one part of it, but then also trying to figure out exactly what this next step forward is going to be at the defensive tackle position. McClellan is built for that for the future. And then also keep in mind too, when you look at RAZ scores and things like that, some of the best defensive interior defensive linemen the Packers have had haven't had the best RAZ scores in the world. Yes, McClellan runs a really good forty, but it's tough to find guys that are going to just blow you away on all these different metrics. TJ. Slayton was not one of those guys, right, because he's a thirty three hundred and forty pounds man. So, I mean, it's just it's the way that this thing, this thing goes sometimes, so you can't compare them always to edge rushers and that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: But even though TJ. Slayton didn't he do that whole jump out of the swimming.
Speaker 2: Pool, Yeah he could do this, yeah, yeah, yeah, a lot of power in those legs, that's for sure. But yeah, it's yeah, it's gonna be It's gonna be fun to watch to see how all these guys take for them.
Speaker 1: All Right, question number two, your surprise pick of.
Speaker 2: This jury's tray smack. It has to be just because the context in which it happened as well, right, and it's this is I'm not comparing apples to apples here, but it almost kind of felt like that Jordan Love where they traded up to get Love back in twenty twenty when they had Aaron Rodgers. You brought back both of your kickers for last year, not only Brandon McManus, but Lucas Haversick is also still on this roster, and then you trade up into the sixth round to get the guy the Packers undeniably felt was the best player, the best kicker in this draft. The one thing I was I toyed around with using this, and then I figured that people an insider inbox would take this the wrong way, so I ended up not writing it in today's edition. But I kind of explored the idea of when you look at the seventh round, yes, you can always find contributors and sometimes yes, once in a generation you find Donald Driver too. Yeah, but whether it was Rashid Walker as a three year starting left tackle or a guy like Carrington Allentine who's been in the conversation every year he's been in Green Bay. You can always find contributors, but it is very difficult to find pro bowlers in all pros in the seventh round. Zire Franklin, who just got traded to Green Bay is one of the very few in the last ten years that has done it. Obviously brock Perty is mister Irrelevant, but most often you're finding guys that are either going to start on the practice squad and maybe develop into something, or someone's going to be a special teams contributor. So to take those two seventh round picks and find a way to get the best kicker in the draft, I actually feel like is a really good, proven investment on Green Bay's case. And also keep in mind, one last time I'll say this, the roster fluidity is so different now than it once was. I don't think we're ever going to see an arrow where teams are carrying two kickers going into a season. I doubt it, but it's not as gridlocked as it once was with the fifty three man roster, with the forty five man roster, with a ten player practice squad, all those numbers have boomed in the last well really since COVID, so there's a lot more flexibility there. So for Brian to make that investment, which I think was a very low risk, high reward proposition for Green Bay, I agree. I just feel like this is the type of move you make not only for this season, but if Trace Mack ends up being your kicker for the next thirteen years, fifteen years, like Mason Crosby was. Yeah, I think everybody would agree. Two seventh pick, seventh round picks and a draft that wasn't considered overly deep, that wasn't a bad move.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, And that is the obvious selection. As far as a surprise pick, the other one that I'll throw in there to me that was a surprise was in the fifth round Jagger Burton, and I wasn't surprised that the Packers took an offensive lineman there. When their first three picks were cornerback dtackle and then edge rusher, it was like, Okay, I was expecting that next pick to probably be an offensive lineman. There was a pretty good chance it was going to be. What surprised me is that they drafted an offensive lineman who did not play tackle at all in college. I thought they were going to go for the for the potential backup offensive tackle. I was sort of like, okay, here the next Zach Tom or David Bakhtiari or even t J. Lang who started his career as a as a backup offensive tackle before he moved inside the guard. They drafted Burton out of Kentucky, who has been strictly an interior player, and it just as we talked about on the last show, it made me start to rethink, you know, okay, how does Brian gudokunsk view the depth on the offensive line right now? And it makes you remember, oh yeah, a couple of years ago, they spent a sixth round draft pick on an offensive tackle named Travis Glover who, yes, they were working him at guard and he had to go in and play guard in a playoff game as a rookie, but then his second season was a total washout due to injury. That's a big man who can play offensive tackle that they feel, okay, he comes back healthy, he can be a guy in the mix, you know, as far as the depth. And then you have a veteran like Darien Kinnard, whom Brian Gudokun spent a draft pick to acquire in a trade from Philadelphia. So it's like you see the decisions that are made in the draft and then you and then it makes you. It makes you sort of look at the roster again and go, oh, yeah, this is what they see or this is what they're thinking. And so that's why Burton was was a bit of a surprise, and it made me made my wheels start to turn a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because when you get a guy like that, even if you remember when they drafted Josh Myers, there was actually some questions about, hey, could he potentially play a tackle position. He did that a little bit at Ohio State. You're now getting a guy who truly is a three interior offensive lineman who probably should major in center based on how his last year win at Kentucky. So I think that's a good pick. The other thing I'll throw down as an honorable mention, it's not anybody that the Packers pick, but it's the fact that they did not pick a tight end or a quarterback or a running back, yeah, or a receiver. If we would have went into this draft even if they said, even if they told us on Thursday morning, the Packers are going to only end up with four picks. If you'd have told me that one offensive, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Six picks, six picks four on Sat.
Speaker 2: Four. Yeah, only one of those players was going to be an offensive player, and it was gonna be alignment. I would not have I would have probably scoffed at that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would have thought, based on what I said on our preview edition of the Draft unscripted talking about the draft, I would have thought a tight end for sure was in the cards. If not a tight end, okay, maybe there was a quarterback that they end up taking. If not a quarterback, well then maybe they do add another running back to the room. And then if nothing else, we'll see what happens at receiver. Now, the way that wide outs went off the board all three days, yeah, like it was an ascended Heroes Pokemon etb on a books a store shelf. Those things just flew right off, right. So I was stunned. Not necessarily the Packers didn't end up taking a receiver, but how quickly all those receivers came off the board. That being said, there was still a lot of good value on Day three at tight end. Brian Goodikins even mentioned it in his post draft press conference that they're still kind of looking for that why body that blocking in line tight end that they lost with John Fitzpatrick going down with the Hill's injury. They have some big bodies on the roster. They also have the opportunity potentially look at a tackle as a sixth offensive lineman again, but.
Speaker 1: As a role Canard was playing a late last season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you and I we've covered this team. You know, you've covered forever, you know, a couple of years after you we've seen what Matt Lafleur in particular wants to do. He wants to have that Mercedes Lewis type tight end in there where it opens up your two tight end packages, allows you to funnel in different types of personnel. So if there was ever a position that I could definitely see Green Bay signing this offseason on a veteran front is probably is at that white tight end.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, Well, a couple more questions I want to throw at you, But first we will pay some bills and hear a quick word from our sponsor. Serious XM. NFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football phanatics need. Twenty four to seven, three sixty five. Welcome back to Packers unscripted. All right, Wes, another question I'm going to throw at you, which draft pick do you see making the biggest impact on this team as a rookie.
Speaker 2: I'm going to probably say ce say in the second round. There only because we saw what happened last year. I think it's very conceivable, very probable even that the Packers will go into the season with those top four veterans as the guys, right, whether it be you know, Carrington Valentine or Benjamin Saint Juice lining up across from Keyshawn Nixon. Obviously you know Javon Bullard at the nickel right. But we've seen time and time again Michael In last year was probably the perfect embodiment of it. How quickly that depth can get depleted, how quickly an injury here or there can change the entire complexion of a secondary Cisa is a very young player. He's twenty years old. But the more I've watched his film over the past week, the more you understand why Green Bay was so high on him, because I think he just brings a physicality that position that you look for. He does remind me in a lot of ways of that Keishawn Nixon type, who is he not afraid to throw his shoulder into a ball carrier, He is not afraid to go up and get physical. And then when you throw in the fact that he's as young as he is, this is a guy that I think very easily could slide into a rotational role right out of the gate based on what his physical traits are as he allows his experience to catch up with him. So it's not totally out of the realm of the possibilities that both him and Demani Jackson could watch most of this season from afar. I think the Packers have the depth and the returning depth at those positions in the secondary to do it. But when you are counting on a base defense practically these days that incorporates five defensive backs, when you sometimes have to go as deep as six, it just stands to reason there's going to be times where you're gonna have to count on a young guy to step in and the way that this thing lays out with Green Bay and what they lost this offseason, CC is right there as the next man up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And for me with this one as far as biggest impact as a rookie, I've been going back and forth between first and last pick. Yeah, right, ce say, I think is is a clear choice there, because this is a I mean, when you're talking about a guy who's twenty years old, gonna turn twenty one, I believe at the end of training camp and with with everything that we know about him so far, this is a guy that you could see that by week nine, week ten, week eleven is going to start to work his way into the if he doesn't just flat out win a job coming out of training camp, which I'm not ruling out, but that would that would be kind of rare, I think in this instance. But it's a guy that you know, come November, come Thanksgiving, you could see a young player like this starting to earn more and more snaps and get a bigger role in whatever rotation Jonathan Gannon is going to be using with those defensive backs, and so that's where I think we could be looking at a significant rookie impact maybe down the stretch here from CSA. But as I said, the other one I've been thinking about is the last pick Tray Smack, because if he wins this job, if he wins this job, his impact will be undeniable. And and it's just it's going to be such a it's going to be such a fascinating story to watch, and so different from when the Packers made the draft investment in Anders Carlson a couple of years ago, because they had already decided to move on from Mason crossby right, and so there was going to be a new kicker, and they made, you know, the investment in the draft pick, and okay, here we go, and he started out great and then things started to get sideways and he never quite got back on track. This is this is going to be a full fledged competition between an accomplished veteran who has been there, done that in this league and a young guy who, as you've said, clearly was the best kicker in this draft, has the leg to make field goals from any distance that they would ask him to. And is he going to have what it takes to beat out a veteran like Brandon mcmanuson Oh yeah, By the way. The other guy, Lucas Haversick in the mix, kicked a sixty one yarder last year for the Packers as well, So he's no slouch in this hole, in this whole idea either. But the potential, the potential for major rookie impact from Trey Smack is undeniable if he wins the job.
Speaker 2: And it's funny that those are the two guys we end up talking about in this segment. It's two positions that historically Green Bay you've seen rookies play at. You know, whether it was Anders or you want to go back to two thousand and seven with Mason Crosby after he beat out Dave Rayner, he was the guy right out of the gate. Meanwhile at Cisay at cornerback, and you even when if you want to expand it to just the secondary and defensive backs in general, jyr Alexander came in, made himself undeniable. Casey Hayward came in twenty twelve as a second round pick, made himself undeniable. Javon Bullard we've seen it. We saw Evan Williams out of the fourth round two years ago. There's just something about that position and maybe it's a credit to the players, the scouts, maybe even the coach that have been able to develop them. But Green Bay had many times has had to call upon those young dbs to make plays and they have. And then conversely at the kicker position, especially if you only keep one, that's your gig, young man, right, go on and be successful. But yeah, I think the one salient point too that was raised. I was thinking about this after they drafted Smack was Brian at the end of the season. I think it was his first presser kind of reviewing the season, everyone getting the extensions, and he was talking to us up in the Legends club at the Lambellfield ah Trium, and he mentioned the patience that is sometimes required of an NFL GM and how at times he probably hasn't been patient enough, using JK Scott and as an example. I still always give Brian a little bit of grace in that. I think JK is as good as he's become in the league. I think it's helped him that he's been out in LA as opposed to him punting in Green Bay. It seemed like that wasn't an ideal fit.
Speaker 1: We saw with And again to your point, we saw with JK. Scott early in the season he was clearly an NFL punter who could succeed in this league. When it got late in the year and he has to kick in Green Bay, has to kick in Chicago, the cold weather, it didn't work for him.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: You know that's where we always saw the fall off at the end of the season. So I give Brian Gudukun some grace there as well.
Speaker 2: But you know what's interesting about this kid in Trey Smack. He's from Maryland. He even mentioned during his press conference with US. Yes, he kicked at Florida one hundred thousand, you know, seed stadiums in the SEC, mostly hot weather. But he's from Maryland. He remembers being a kid going out and kicking in the snow, and you know Christmas Eve you mentioned eight years ago, being outside kicking the ball around. He's familiar with those conditions. It's gonna get tested a little bit by how extreme sometimes it can get in Green Bay. Definitely, But all that being said, I just I watched the videos of him and his leg talent. It is evident, man, And I know, if you're gonna kick in the NFL, you gotta have a decent leg. Brandon McManus has a good one too, But the way that the ball explodes off Smack's foot. When you talk about why the Packers made this move and what they're hoping to get out of it, I mean, it's everything you look for. Now. It comes down to the number one thing, as Brian goodikins, the scout has to look for, and that's it going through the upgrade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, no doubt. Well, there's one other thing that we need to talk about from draft weekend that was not necessarily draft related, but we haven't had a chance to discuss it yet, and that is that a matter of hours before the Packers made their first pick in this draft on Friday night, they extended wide receiver Jaden Reid multi year contract extension, the first of what. I think the Packers are planning on several contract extensions here of guys that they're looking at, and we'll talk about them over the next several months or whatever the case might be. But Jaden Reid coming off of a disappointing season because of the injury issues with the foot and the broken collarbone in Week two, and you know, he missed essentially like three quarters of the season or whatever it was, and quite frankly didn't really ever looked like he was all the way back to me. But a young, dynamic, explosive receiver who is going to be in Green Bay long term.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's funny. You got to remember what this guy has done and how quickly he's done it here, right, I mean, he was the leading receiver in his first two seasons for the Packers, broke Sterling Sharp's single season record for catches as a rookie. I think it was sixty four. I think he ended up with.
Speaker 1: And Sharp's rookie franchise record was fifty five, so he kind of blew it out of the water.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean he was just such a focal point of the offense. I remember being in philip I should say we were actually in South Paulo, Brazil, but I remember watching that game against Philadelphia and I just thought to myself, I mean, the Packers have a superstar. Yeah, the way he was affecting that game, the catches he was making in the Eagles secondary didn't really have an answer for him, especially in that first half, to have him locked up and then you see the numbers and you can go find all those on the internet. But they made sense for the player, they made sense for the organization. It's a different version kind of the they did with Christian Watson last year, right where for Reid it puts money in his pocket, it gets them some security, also gives him a chance for another contract in a few years. Meanwhile, Green Bay with how these contracts are absolutely skyrocking at the receiver position, and we're probably gonna be talking about it again here in the next six to ten months. With Christian Watson, the Packers got somebody locked up now for the future. That isn't just their rookie draft picks from last year. So Red, that's a big one. I had a fun with this because when it all went down, it reminded me so much of twenty thirteen, when I'll never forget. It was myself, Rob Damofski and Mike Vandermoss. We were doing our live stream before the first day of the NFL Draft, and in the middle of it, we caught word that Aaron Rodgers had signed his extension, and Rob and I ended up getting into a big argument on camera about the scale of it, because I said it was the most important thing that's going to happen all draft weekend. Rob pushed back on me on that because he's like, we all knew this was gonna happen. We all knew this is gonna happen. Well, the Packers drafted Aton Jones, and then you know, Aaron Rodgers did a press conference the same day. I mean, you asked the modern fan, you know who they're going to know more about at that point, It's gonna be Aaron Rodgers. But I digress. Yeah, but it brought me back to that moment where getting a deal done right in the eleventh hour there before the start of the draft. I mean, obviously the Packers didn't have a pick that day, but when you factor in being able to extend Reid, obviously Micah Parsons and what he's brought to this football team in that defense, I'd say it was still a good opening round there for Green Bath.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Brian Gudakunsk has made no secret of his desire to have guys like Christian Watson, Tucker Craft, DeVante Wyatt in the plans long term here as well. And obviously there's there are things that need to be worked out, both on the financial side and on the health side with a couple of those guys and all that. So that's that's what's on that's what's on the radar coming up. But this was this was sort of the first of we we didn't know what order they were going to go in necessarily, this was sort of the first one, and hopefully it's the it's the first of several, because you see these these guy these guys are the foundation, right, These are the guys who have who have come in within the last four to five years, been brought into Green Bay and and they are they are the foundation of what the Packers are doing on the field. They're also the foundation of the leadership in the locker room and all of that that we've seen and and hopefully there are more of these extensions to come.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about this a couple of days ago too. I don't know, and again I offer no predictions, but I don't know if I can ever think of a more of a shoe in for an extension independent of even the knee injury over the last eight years than Tucker Craft is. Yeah, I was thinking, I'm like, I think DeVante Adams made a lot of sense in eighteen when they got they got him and Corey Linsley done I think on the same day or close to it. Yeah, But there's been a lot of these where we weren't sure, right, we didn't know what was gonna happen. Christian Watson last year. There was times where some of these defensive players that they've extended, we weren't sure if they were gonna come or they were gonna go. Even Aaron Jones, both of Jones's contracts, I didn't really know whether or not he was gonna be back in Green Bay. But Kraft just he makes sense for the team, He makes sense for the for himself. And I'll tell you what, man, if Tucker Craft can stay healthy, he is the bona fide definition of a tight end. You want to see in this offense for ten years, right, just a decade, See where he takes the whole thing. See where he just obliterates, you know, franchise records and build an offense around him. Packers. There was there is years, Mike where you and I we would sit in the off season be like, Okay, so who's gonna be the tight end next year? Right? I mean from the Jared Cook transition to Martell's Bennett to Jimmy Graham. The Packers kind of had to keep digging and digging and digging, and now I think they found one of the topest sending stars in this league at that position. Yeah, and it's just too bad about the kne injurycause I think if not for the injury, we might already be talking about it being done.
Speaker 1: Well he and Yeah, I think we would be talking about his extension already being done, and we'd be talking about heading into this year. How his twenty twenty five season shattered all the Packers single season tight end records because he was on pace receptions, receiving yards, and touchdowns. He was on pace in twenty twenty five to have the best single season by a Packers tight end in history, and unfortunately, right around the halfway point, it it ended. But we know Tucker. We've were interested, obviously to talk to him again when he gets healthy, but he's not going to let this stop him.
Speaker 2: This is also why I wanted them to draft a tight end so badly, because we're at the point now with Tucker going into your fort dude, you just want to get as many young tight ends around him as possible. Right, he can have his own little tight end you over in South Dakota. Yeah, the way that this thing is going in, the personality type that he has, Yeah, yeah, no doubt. It'd be fun.
Speaker 1: Well, we've got the Rookie Minichamp coming up this weekend, so on next week shows we will talk about our first impressions actually getting to see these guys up close, meet some of them, talk to them and whatnot. But for now we'll call it a rap on this edition of Packers on Script. It'd be sure to follow all of our coverage of the team and everything with Rookie Minni Camp this weekend. We'll have it all for you on Packers dot com for Wesiammike, thank you for tuning in everybody. We will see you next time.