Speaker 1: Hi everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers.com. I am Mike Spofford, joined as always by my partner in everything Packers, Wes Hodkowitz. We're coming to you here from the Pottawatomie Sportsbook studio inside the walls of Lambeau Field. And Wes, we have a ton of stuff to talk about on the show because these last few days have been, um, pretty wild and crazy on the personnel front here at 1265. Normally we get to this show when the initial 53-man roster is set, and we're talking about who's kept at this position and how many guys are here, and we'll certainly get into some of that. But we have to start with the fact that on roster cut-down day, the Packers made three trades. They traded one player to acquire a draft pick. They acquired two other players for draft picks. It's a busy time around here.
Speaker 1: It's a busy time. It was funny, somebody in the insider inbox asked me about what the biggest surprise was on cut down day. To be honest with you, I don't really think there was a big surprise, but it was the litany of things that did happen were almost the surprise, right? I was not anticipating the Packers keeping three quarterbacks. I would have been very wrong. There would have been a lot of people in Insider Inbox that would have shoved that in my face if they did.
Speaker 2: Oh, me too. They would have been the same with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the fact that Kyle McCord wasn't on the 53, that is what it is. But two things about the McCord situation. One, four teams in the National Football League currently have four quarterbacks on their 53-man roster. A fifth team, Cleveland, kept four because Dylan Gabriel went to injured reserve. There weren't a lot of good backup quarterbacks available. So you look at the situation that unfolds in Miami. First year, John Eric Sullivan running the ship there. They sign Malik Willis. They trade Quinn Ewers. They cut both of their quarterbacks. He makes a phone call to his old buddy up in Green Bay, Wisconsin, Brian Gutekunst, and trades a six-round pick in 2028. For a quarterback that the Green Bay Packers signed off the street back in January. I don't know what all went into Kyle McCord and Philadelphia and him not returning to the Eagles.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But the fact that Green Bay got him as a future signing and seven months later threw some fairy dust on it and became a draft pick is just one of the more inconceivable things I've ever witnessed. And that's just talking about the quarterback situation. And then, obviously, everything that's happened here with Caleb Johnson, a guy that was a former All-American at Iowa, third-round pick for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Situation kind of unfolds there. Comes available on the market. The Packers find out Josh Jacobs is going to start the season on the commissioner's exemplist. They're in the market suddenly for a running back. And they make a deal to get Johnson. and then throwing Mark Redman coming over from the LA Rams. The Rams kept five tight ends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was tight end six on the Rams roster. I mean, Sean McVay, he's become the king of the three tight end set in the newfangled offenses in the NFL, right? Not surprising they had... Six viable tight ends on their roster. They keep five and ship one to Green Bay and they get a draft pick in return.
Speaker 1: They got two starting caliber tight ends, veterans there. They drafted, I think, one in the second round. And Mark Redman, who had a really strong preseason, six catches, 63 yards, and he's considered more of a wide inline blocking tight end. the Packers come calling for him after he spent his rookie season on L.A. 's practice spot. So to answer your question, Michael, when you asked me about all the developments that happened and the trades that happened, it was a very busy day on the Packers' front, but a lot of the moves they made made total sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did make sense. I want to get back to the quarterback thing for one minute because there's a part of me that just is picturing Gutekunst and his personnel staff, and they're beginning this discussion of like, boy, do you think, like, is there any way that Kyle McCord could clear waivers and we could get him back on the practice squad? And then the phone rings like, hey, Brian, Sully down in Miami is on the line and starts asking about the quarterback. Well, that takes care of that. He's not going to clear waivers, and Miami is not interested in another team potentially ahead of them in the waiver claim order putting in a claim, so they're going to offer a draft pick and make sure they get a guy that they believe can be their number two quarterback. you just never know how these things are going to unfold.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And the Packers getting a tight end who I guess by all accounts would be considered probably tight end four on the active roster right now, but he was tight end six on the roster for the Rams. So he was, he was expendable, but the Packers weren't going to wait to risk anybody else claiming Mark Redman before the Packers would be up in the waiver claim order. So they call up the Rams and make an offer. I mean, It was a lot of stuff going down. What stood out to me the most– oh, and we should say also because we have so many things to talk about here. There is another– there is a new QB3 in the building for the Green Bay Packers already, and he was just here for a few days last week. Keaton Slovis– with the Arizona Cardinals. He was in the joint practice. He threw, I believe it was 35 passes through for over 200 yards in the preseason finale on Friday night while Kyle McCord was throwing for four touchdown passes and pulling off a two score comeback in the last four minutes of Friday night's game for green Bay and then getting himself a new job in Miami. Slovis is now the Packers third string quarterback who is on the practice squad. Um, When Brian Gutekunst talks about roster building and personnel movement in this league being a 24-7, 365 business, he is not kidding.
Speaker 1: He's not kidding. And also, while you were flying cross-country last week, Jonu Smith suddenly becomes a Green Bay Packer. The Packers added a tight end, a veteran tight end, a guy that played in the league for nine years now. Started his career, his second NFL season, was with Matt LaFleur. LaFleur kind of threw some jokes out there about that offense back then and some of the challenges they had. But if you look at what the situation that Smith was thrown into, that was at the end of the Delaney-Walker era where Walker started getting these season-long injuries and he was thrown into the fire immediately. So whether it was adding two tight ends, whether it was trading McCord, you're going to have to bring in another quarterback, whether it's J. Michael Sturdivant making it as an undrafted free agent, an undrafted rookie. When you look at roster cut down day and the decisions that Gutekunst and his scouts are weighing, it just shows you as much as you and I are sitting on the peripheral, kind of like taking all this in and trying to make heads or tails of it, what it must be like to be in that room and having those conversations with all this different stuff aflutter. Because decisions that were made in those 32 personnel rooms throughout the National Football League will have huge implications for who ultimately is in the playoffs and who wins division titles, and in some cases, who wins a Super Bowl. So for the Packers, feeling like they need to augment their roster in these ways, I think was very important. And if I may close on one last note. Oh, you're not closing. We got a lot to talk about. But the other thing I liked about this, and it was probably my favorite point, not that I necessarily raised, but it was off the question someone had asked in inbox. The Packers only had six draft picks this year, five of whom actually made the roster. Damani Jackson will start the season on the practice squad. There was only one offensive player drafted, and that was Jagger Burton, who potentially could end up being a starting caliber guard for them this season. Green Bay needed to find ways to add to their roster without having the benefit of eight, nine, 10, 11 draft picks. So whether it was Sturdivant making it, whether it was acquiring and signing a Johnnie Smith who'd been waiting for the right opportunity, or it is these trades that they pulled off to bring in a Redman as a blocking tight end to bring in a Caleb Johnson. Eventually, Green Bay was going to have to make some moves there. And with all the equity that the Packers have built up and all the capital that they have for the 2027 and 2028 draft classes, Brian Gutekunst was able to push the pedal a little bit there, too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Color me curious with regard to the Jonu Smith acquisition. As you said, a veteran tight end who seemed to be waiting for the right opportunity, which is what a lot of those guys do. They aren't just going to go into a camp. just to have a job where they may or may not be able to make the roster. They're going to wait for something to open up. This is a guy who two years ago had 88 catches. And last year, the production then in Pittsburgh was not what it was the year before. It was kind of a completely different offense with the Steelers, and it was a lot of short passes tackled right away. So for whatever reason, things– Johnnie Smith has not really had the opportunity yet to build on that 88 catch season. Now, that being said, Tucker Kraft is the primary weapon at tight end for the Packers here. But with Luke Musgrave beginning the season on PUP, still dealing with the neck injury, and it sounds like there's potentially some good news that Musgrave will be available at some point this season. But What Jonu Smith might be able to bring to this offense, not only as a pass catcher, but Brian Gutekunst talked about just his versatility in terms of he's able to line up anywhere and do anything that you ask a tight end to do. He's not a pigeonhole, single-role kind of guy. This is an acquisition that makes a ton of sense for Green Bay, and it's just a question of how quickly they can get him up to speed in this offense to be able to potentially contribute.
Speaker 1: When you go back to what happened two years ago in Miami, I think what was the biggest difference there? it was Mike McDaniel's offense. Yeah. And the way that he uses tight ends and the way he utilizes fullbacks. And if you go back and watch a little bit of the film and just watch a five minute cut up on YouTube of some of the plays he made that year, it was creating out of the backfield. I think with respect to, you know, Arthur Smith and what they did last year in Pittsburgh, it just didn't, we saw him in one game too. It just didn't seem like they really knew how they wanted to utilize him. There's a great I got at practice where it's him and Redmond standing next to each other reminds me of the old adage. I remember when Josiah DeGuar was here with Mercedes Lewis.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And they both play tight end and they look like entirely different players.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's not to say that Johnnie Smith is small, but it just shows you the levels and different variations of that position. And the other thing I want to say too, Matt LaFleur talked about Redmond being a wide body. I get it. I saw it. Him with pads on. I mean, this guy, he's six foot six, but he's got size horizontally too. I mean, he's going to eat up some space and you can see it on the film what they like about him as a blocker. But for Smith to get into a scheme more like LeFleur's, I almost wonder if he would have been in a Kyle Shanahan type offense. You just wonder how much more productive he would have been because I think it's been something where offensive coordinators and teams are trying to figure out how to best utilize him. Now, he just turned 31 years old. I think this is a good pivot point for him in his career where it's like, OK, they're not going to look at him as being a starter. Maybe he will get some of those two tight end starts, but it's not like the offense is going to be predicated on him. Even if, you know, depending on what happens with Kraft and Musgrave, they have a wide variety of receivers to work with as well. But I just feel like as he gets accustomed to this offense, the type of professional he is, this is the type of player Green Bay needed. We saw how the depth sorted out during camp. There wasn't going to be a guy like this on this roster. You had to go find him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely. Well, there's lots of other stuff with regard to the initial 53 that I want to get to, but I don't want to forget to pay some bills first. So let's hear a quick word from our sponsors. Sirius XM NFL Radio delivers hard-hitting analysis and up-to-the-minute NFL news that true football fanatics need 24-7, 365. Did you know Lambeau Field is just one of our state's many wonders? Start making unforgettable memories on your next vacation. Discover the Apostle Islands and more at TravelWisconsin.com slash wonders. Welcome back to Packers Unscripted. All right, Wes, we heard from GM Brian Gutekunst on Tuesday morning talking about some of these roster decisions and how it all came together. I think one of the most notable things is the number of big guys, 10 offensive linemen, seven defensive tackles, plus three offensive linemen and one defensive tackle as of this moment on the practice squad. And he explained his rationale in both of those instances. On the offensive side of the ball, he talked about, hey, he likes going heavy on the offensive line in terms of the roster construction because October, November come around and guys start getting injured and going down. And even if they're just down for a game or two, it's really, really hard to find guys on the street or guys on other teams, practice squads that you can just pluck and plug in and, you know, try to survive for a game. So he really likes to be heavy there to cover against injuries. And then I thought it was interesting what he said with regard to the interior defensive lineman that he's expecting to Jonathan Gannon to have a much higher snap count for the defensive tackles than Jeff Halfley did the last couple of years. So he wants to be deep there. He wants to give Gannon the ability to rotate guys and use a bunch of guys for what's going to be that larger snap load. And all of that with keeping seven, the Packers were still deep enough that Nazir Stackhouse got claimed on waivers by Tennessee. And the Packers were certainly hoping that they could offer him a practice squad spot and bring him back, but that didn't happen, and that's just the nature of the business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had to make a tough decision there. Another reason why I said I wasn't really going to be surprised what they do, because whether you kept him, whether you kept Jonathan Ford, or whether you kept Anthony Campbell, any of those guys, if you don't keep them, you could only have so many, right? And they still kept seven because of Warren Brinson. being there as well as one of these options. I think when you look in the terms of the defense that Jonathan Gannon is putting together too, I mean, how many times have we seen that Penny look during camp where it's three defensive tackles with an edge rusher and then you're using, you know, nickel personnel behind it and the flexibility with Edger and Cooper. There's going to be a lot of those looks too. So you need to have those hosses in the middle. Jonathan Ford, who, you know, we'll talk about Anthony Campbell here in a second, but If it wasn't for Anthony Campbell, Jonathan Ford's one of the best stories on this entire roster, maybe the best story on the defensive line, in that a guy the Green Bay Packers drafted in 2022. Romeo Dobbs signed a free agent contract this year. They were in the same rookie class together, and Jonathan is still trying to get his footing in the National Football League, get an opportunity. And at 6'5, and 340 pounds, we've always seen him as this big... nose tackle that's going to be difficult to move. But I felt like since he's come back after the waiver claim from Chicago, you're seeing a guy that's more impactful being able to push the offensive lineman and not just holding up space. He just seems to have a bigger edge to his game. And throughout camp, you saw him become that starting nose tackle when you didn't have Javon Hargrave, when he didn't have, you know, some of these guys available on the defensive line. And I would imagine on early rundowns, he's going to have that role. Yeah. And I ultimately felt like it was probably, I don't know this for a fact, but it probably was that conversation between Ford or Stackhouse that Green Bay had to pick one. The Anthony Campbell thing just blows me away. And I asked Brian Gutekunst about that on Tuesday morning. And at the end of his comments, he said, and we feel like he's just scratching the surface right now, 6'6, 307 pounds, carries his weight well, there is no. You know, fudging the numbers with his 6'6. This guy is all of it. He is tall. He's lengthy. He was batting down passes left and right. We saw him getting sacks in the preseason.
Speaker 2: Had two of them.
Speaker 1: I think that this guy potentially could help on, you know, field goal block when you look at the T.J. Slayton type role that they've had in the past there.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: Packers got a bunch of defensive tackles, and they all look like they can do something. And to your original point, you know, Gannon, it sounds like, is going to put him to work. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Again, I kind of smiled picturing the– the personnel room, Gutekunst was talking about how two guys on the pro side of the scouting business, the scouts are essentially divided. They're either college scouts. If they're not in the executive level, they're either college scouts or they're pro scouts. And he talked about two guys on the pro side, Richie Williams and Lee Gissendaner, who basically annoyed the heck out of Brian late last season to take a shot at this guy, Anthony Campbell, who's out there. And I can picture, you know, whatever the personnel department has their weekly meeting. And once a week, either Lee or Richie is raising his hand saying, Hey, Brian, how about Anthony Campbell? You know, and they essentially annoyed him enough that he's like, all right, early January, right at the end of the season, they signed Campbell to the practice squad. Then he becomes a future signing right after that, when the season ends and lo and behold, here we are a little less than, you know, nine months later. And Anthony Campbell's on a 53-man roster when in two seasons at the University of Miami, he played 56 snaps on the defensive side of the ball. And Miami was his third stop. He had been junior college and then Louisiana Monroe. And then Miami, he was taking his shot at the big time, good for him, but he couldn't get on the field. And now he's on the 53-man roster of the Green Bay Packers. And yeah, I mean, what we saw at least Five or six batted passes during training camp. He had at least one in a game. He had two sacks in the preseason games. Just remarkable. My hat's off to that young man because that's the kind of story that, I mean, that's a Hollywood script where he came from and where he is right now today. you can't make that stuff up.
Speaker 1: No, and he's actually, the kid was born in Jamaica. I mean, you know, comes to the States at a very young age, and here he is. You know, football, I think he even said, I don't even know if football was his first sport. I think he might have told Bill Huber it might have been soccer at first for him. And the kid keeps growing. He keeps getting bigger. And, you know, the one thing I really, I talked to him after the game, and I tweeted this comment before he'd even, while we were waiting to figure out what was going to happen with the roster. And I just thought it was such a salient point he raised because he's like, You know, he's always wanted it. That's never been an issue for him. He doesn't feel. But it was sitting on the couch last year, just waiting for that phone to call and phone to ring and watching football on Sundays and not being out there, not having a job. And he's like, man, I just need to get back in it. And if you want to talk about guys that when they walk in the door and And didn't waste a single second of the opportunity. Yeah. I think that's Anthony Campbell. I mean, could you have ever told this guy at any point that, hey, you're running with the threes, you know, your chances aren't going to be very good at making the roster? No, I mean, this guy came in and played like he belonged. And then what ends up happening during the two-minute against Arizona? He's rotating in with the ones. It's a remarkable story what he's been able to accomplish.
Speaker 2: I want to make one other comment with her. to these big guys we're talking about going back to the offensive line for a second because Gutekunst kept 10 offensive linemen on the active roster and brought back three on the practice squad. All those guys were in training camp and preseason with Green Bay. I think what's worth mentioning here is look at the improvement of the reserve offensive line groups, the twos and the threes, from the first preseason game in Pittsburgh to the third preseason game against Arizona and what the Packers offense with Kyle McCord looked like in the second half of that preseason opener versus the preseason finale. That speaks to what Gutekunst was talking about at the podium, saying how good he feels about this group and that he didn't want to start scouring and looking around for other offensive linemen if that were to become necessary. He wanted to keep as many of his guys as he could. Now, obviously, you can't have six or seven offensive linemen on the practice squad, but bringing back three to go with the 10 that he kept on the active roster, I think it speaks a lot to where that reserve group progressed, how they progressed from the beginning of the preseason to the end.
Speaker 1: And I'll give you a best example too. When you talk about improvement, you know, fans who want to talk about improvement, they want to talk about things like that. And I say this with all due respect, Darien Kennard isn't here right now. Brant Banks isn't here right now. That's a guy that was their swing tackle last year and Brant had spent other than the week he spent with Tennessee on their 53. Both of those guys were here all of last season. It just shows you, in addition to Burton coming in and competing and getting in with the ones for most of the offseason program, most of camp, it shows you the young guys that they signed, the Josh Geskes of the world, Dylan Wades, and how they pushed that group. In addition to Jacob Monk finally staying healthy and now competing for a starting right guard job.
Speaker 2: That was the other one I was going to mention is Monk coming back from injury changed the look of the offensive line room as well.
Speaker 1: It shifted everything because now you have Belton operating more in that swing tackle mode. And, you know, Matt LaFleur wasn't anointing anybody a starter. He said they'll probably, you know, go all the way up to the game time before really telling everybody. But Jacob Monk took all these snaps with the ones and he played there throughout camp. Really, the last three, four weeks, that's the role he's been in. So for him being, if you look at a long enough trajectory, and this goes beyond Matt LaFleur, this goes back to Mike McCarthy and James Campin. The number one way that Green Bay likes to develop linemen a lot of times is it ends up being two years of kind of sitting in the shadows. And then it was year three where you get thrown out there. That's what happened with TJ Lang. That's what happened with Lane Taylor. Yeah, occasionally you get your Elton Jenkins from day one. It seems like they're starting. But there's a lot of guys, too, that, you know, Sean Ryan played, what, one game his rookie year? You look at how long it took for him. He was in a rotation up until the beginning of training camp last year. It can take time. And it's exciting to see. And to close that point, with the Donovan Jennings and Travis Glovers and some of these other developmental guys that Green Bay kept on, Goodigan said it throughout the course of the season, you're going to need big bodies. You're going to need guys that can come in and you can't just find them. You're not always going to be able to get pride, you know, Jared Valdez out of retirement to come play for you. You're going to need guys that can step up, know the system and can hold their own. And that's what Green Bay is hoping that they've done.
Speaker 2: And even going back to, you know, my early years with Packers.com, a guy like Scott Wells was a seventh round draft pick out of Tennessee. He starts his NFL career on a practice squad. And a handful of years later, he's a Pro Bowl center. So, These are things worth watching for sure. A couple other topics I want to get to. You mentioned one of them already, J. Michael Sturtevant.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The lone undrafted rookie to make the initial 53 keeps the Packers streak alive, presuming that he keeps his spot up until the week one game in Minnesota, the streak alive of an undrafted rookie being on the Packers week one roster. And it was a heck of a wide receiver competition.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Um, and, uh, Will Shepherd, Isaiah Nayer, they made their bids for it too. But, uh, J. Michael Sturvant was the guy who was the most consistent, the most steady. He had the, he had the most regular presence on the practice field throughout the month of August. And that's why he got the nod.
Speaker 1: Really had a good thing going with Kyle McCord. And then what was impressive is then when he started getting opportunities with Tyrod Taylor and Jordan Love a little bit, he still kept making plays. It wasn't perfect. There was some drops in there. I know there's some plays that he wanted back, but my goodness, to Matt LaFleur's point on him, the guy made a play basically every single day and he found a way to get noticed. And the other thing too about Sturdivant is just so interesting, was projected with Lance Zerline in the draft for NFL.com and the projections had him as like a fifth, sixth round pick. His RAS score is almost, it's like 9.96, 4-4 or 40 times, 39 inch vertical, almost an 11 foot broad jump and athletically checks a lot of boxes. His mom is a Hall of Fame, you know, track and field star at Bradley. His dad, you know, played high level football. So like he has the genes for it and was really, really good out of the gate for Cal. It's just, it's been his production kind of waned the last few years. And then obviously last year in Florida and a lot of competition in that room. But for him to come out with all that competition, knowing that there probably is like a solidified top six with Savion, with Bo Melton, with Sky Moore being the returner, he still found a way to get himself into the conversation. Now, 22 straight years, the Packers, assuming the sticks, week one roster, having at least one undrafted rookie. I figured it was either him or maybe both, him and Nigel E. Kelly. I thought Kelly defensively finished camp the same way that Sturdivant did on the offensive side of the ball.
Speaker 2: Kelly had a really, really impressive game against Arizona last Friday night. He really stood out on the defensive side.
Speaker 1: And even though, again, finished at UCF, very respectable school. He also has those, that, that pedigree of being a high major or not high major, but a power five conference, power four conference players. So, um, yeah, these are the guys you want to develop. And if you're, as I mentioned in the opening, if you don't have that pick, what better way than to, to find a guy that, you know, very easily could have been a sixth, seventh round draft pick and now you can develop them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And we've heard from multiple people, Matt LaFleur, Brian Gutekunst, Kyle McCord, all basically have said in one form or another that, J. Michael Sturdivant should have been a draft pick, that he was definitely overlooked in the draft.
Speaker 1: The way that McCord said that, I don't know if you saw the video, if that was on there or not, the way he said it, there was no equivocation in his voice at all. I mean, and you got to remember, this is a guy that played at Ohio State, you know, grew up with Marvin Harrison Jr. and then was extremely successful at Syracuse. I mean, he knows ball and J. Michael Sturtevant, that was a guy that he looked to routinely throughout camp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, a few injury updates to pass along as well. One of them actually at the receiver position, and it would have been an interesting decision, even more interesting decision, would J. Michael Sturtevant as the undrafted rookie had made the 53 if Savion Williams had not gone down with the high ankle sprain. Savion is on injured reserve designated to return. So he's currently not on the 53. The good news is it sounds like both he and Colin Oliver got the IR DTR designation. Oliver has an Achilles issue, but it doesn't sound like either one of those guys is going to be out beyond the mandated four games, or at least that's the way things are looking.
Speaker 1: The way Goodkin's made it sound, it sounded like Oliver could be ready in a couple of weeks, but it just, you need the spot. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They just, they, they had to, they had to do some, you know, some maneuvering there to get to where they, wanted to be Warren Brinson who missed the, uh, tail end of training camp, much of the back half of training camp, I guess I would say with the calf injury, it sounds like he has a chance to be ready for week one, um, which is really good to hear. And as I mentioned before, Luke Musgrave, they're still figuring some things out with regard to his neck injury, but there is some hope and some promise that, uh, that he could be back and be an active player again, at some point during the 2026 season. And then last but not least, Micah Parsons. He's starting the season on PUP, which is not a surprise. But Gutekunst opened the door.
Speaker 1: He did. It finally happened today.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He opened the door to the idea of, and it's the new rule that we've talked about, that players who begin the season on PUP begin the regular season on PUP. They have to miss the first four games of the regular season at a minimum, but they are eligible to practice, to begin practicing after two games. And Gutekunst opened the door that that may be a consideration for Parsons, that he could get back on the practice field as soon as week three. Now for the Packers, week three is a Thursday night game. So what that means, we'll have to see when the time comes. But it sounds like Micah Parsons could be back on the practice field here before too much longer, and that was pretty good to hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you do wonder, although it's not unprecedented. I want to say... was it Randall Cobb? There was somebody, they actually opened the window to return either from IR or PUP during a short week. They didn't play in the game, but they did still open it up. You're right.
Speaker 2: It might've been Cobb.
Speaker 1: It might've been Cobb. Because I remember that was like, wow, they opened up the window on a guy that isn't even really truly going to practice. But I mean, that's an option.
Speaker 2: They're only doing walkthroughs sometimes during those short weeks.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean, this is, it was the thing I was waiting for because everybody's been asking about it. And I think the conversation, at least in the media, I think you and I have discussed it in Insider Inbox, but this is a big change because in the past it was, you had to wait those games. And then the 21-day window opened after you were out for four games. And Micah Parsons has talked about it in his content. There's a big... That practice window is big. That's major for a player, especially when you don't have training camp. I mean, look what... Christian Watson did with it last year right when when he was down and then he was finally able to go and those three two and a half weeks whatever it was that it took from I mean he was he was that's like okay Russ is off let's go now everybody's different the Packers have reiterated time and time again they want to be careful with Micah they need him for November they need him for December they need him to win a Super Bowl so you want to be cognizant of that but when you look at whether it's week five against Chicago, whether it's week six against Dallas, whether you get into Detroit right after that, there is a window there where if number one is back on the field for one, if not all, some of those games, I mean, that is critical for the Packers defense after this opening stretch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll be talking about that plenty when the time comes because one of these days, sooner than later, numero uno will be back out there on the practice field. Before we go, You have something to say. So I'm going to turn the mic over to you.
Speaker 1: You know, I just want to quickly point this out. You know, we just got done with the roster cut down. We have a new roster for the 2026 season. And that also works on the Packers side of things too, right? People come and go. And there's so many times where people mention to me like, man, you're so lucky to work for the Packers. That's such a great job. I mean, you're supposed to be happy. And I am. It's an amazing job. But whether I worked at McDonald's back in the day, Maplewood Meats, the Green Bay Press, Gazette, all these different places, it doesn't matter how cool your job is if you don't have good people to work with you. Honestly, McDonald's was probably one of the most fun times I ever had in my life because I loved all the people I worked with. aside from management. Kidding. But it's people in this building, people like yourself, that make it fun to come to work every day. Back at you, sir. I'm getting older. We're 10 years in now, and people come and go. But man, this past week, we said goodbye to a really good friend of ours, Kristen Shand. She's moving on with her life. She worked in brand and marketing, the Packers everywhere, pep rallies. If you've been to any of those, you've probably seen her. We call her Crispy.
Speaker 2: One of the best nicknames on the Packers... Office side personnel staff. And I come up with a lot of nicknames for people. That was not one I came up with, but I absolutely love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: It is. And, you know, Kristen is just an incredible human being and has been an amazing friend to me. I'll tell you what, dude, when you have people that, you know, when all the chips are down and life isn't going a certain way that you can go to, you can turn to for guidance, for friendship, you know, just going to TJ Maxx and grabbing some clothes, you know, like just to have those type of people in your life are really important. I love you, Chris. I'm wishing you lots of luck. She's moved on to a new opportunity. I believe it's with the American Red Cross. Hope I got that right. If I didn't, I'm sorry. But yeah, so a big, big hole in our brand and marketing department. You go up there and ask Jill Melcheski and Haley Becker. I'm sure they'll tell you that. But she left her mark here. And I don't want to just turn it into like always just giving shout outs to people. But man, when there's people that make it fun to come to work, it doesn't matter what you do for a living. Oh, those are the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Appreciate them.
Speaker 2: With that, we will call it a wrap on this edition of Packers Unscripted. Be sure to follow all of our coverage of the team. on Packers.com. For Wes, I am Mike. Thank you for tuning in.
Speaker 1: See you next time.