Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show, your war room for insider news and draft analysis from deep within the confines of Cowboys headquarters at the Star and Frasco.
Speaker 3: Oh right, it is the Draft Show, brought to you by Miller lte As. The twenty twenty four NFL Draft is in the books. Zach will Chuck alongside Nick Harris, Brian Pradess. Oh my goodness, we had our three day extravaganza.
Speaker 2: It was a blatch. Thank you guys for.
Speaker 3: All your hard work and everybody who gets to experience that with us.
Speaker 2: We love doing what we do.
Speaker 3: But now we've had a couple of days to kind of let that marinade. We reflect back on what the Cowboys did. But the job be done. I mean, this is an organization that is really really good at finding undrafted rookie free agents, and we can go through some of that class. But I mean, first off, I know people have been asking us left and right kind of some of our favorite picks. Was there a pick that you really really loved that the Cowboys made you guys know which one I loved, which of course was Cooper Bebe. But for you two, I don't know if you would agree. If there's some other name that stood out to you from the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Class, yeah, I think my answer would be BB. But I'll look away for the sake of having a different opinion. I'll go with Marshawn Neeland there in the second round. I think there's I wrote about it after night too. I think it's a very interesting pick given where the Cowboys were in that specific spot. You know, a needing to address needs at linebacker still at that point, center, running back, defensive tackle. But they say true to their board and went with a really athletic defensive end that they feel I can impact the run game immediately that has some pass rush upside. It's very on brand for what Will McLay and that scouting department does, as well as Mike McCarthy. Mike McCarthy's very big on finding a guy that can be athletic and come in and serve two different roles. I think that's kind of what you see in Marshawn Neland I think he's a guy that could potentially slide inside and he's a guy that can also play on the edge. But you see the athleticism and that's what really stood out in the evaluation for everybody in the scouting department. Will McLay included, I think that was a really important pick and I think you'll look back on that one if it works or if it doesn't work, you'll look back on that one as a as a key spot in this twenty twenty four draft, just because there was so many other positions they could have addressed at that point. I mean, only one running back was off the board, only one linebacker was off the board. They could have had their pick of the litter at that position, but instead they went ahead and enrolled with Marshaw Neeland, who they felt was slipping at that point. So a fascinating pick that I feel like was probably an interesting one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kaitlyn Carson, to me is the one that I really really liked. If you start to kind of work through the draft, and you know there was a it was we we went the whole draft season trying to sort cornerbacks. Yeah. Yeah, and I feel like this kid might have got lost in all of the in all of the because the talent is there, the way he plays, how competitive he is. His ability to carry routes inside one of my favorite things about corners. I mean, you could be slow and everything, I don't care, but if you could show me you could carry routes inside and make plays on the ball, I'm gonna like you as a player. And this kid can we talk about the things the traits that Mike Zimmer would like, the length, the size, the ability to play the football. And this kid right here does all those things. And I kind of felt like that. What I really appreciated about the Cowboys draft was even though my gut said in the third round when they passed on the running backs, you know, when they passed on all those and BB's a great pick. I mean, Bibe, the key to this thing is going to be what they what were they going to do at seventy three with that pick? They probably got him a starter. I mean they got him a starter at you know, so I was happy about that part of it. The thing that I was kind of thinking, like, Okay, can they grab a running back? Where can they grab a running back here? And you know, when it didn't happen, then I was like, Okay, I was I appreciate the fact that they didn't try and force one late. They didn't just take one in the fifth round to say, oh, we got to have a running back, you know. They they said, no, we'll take probably the best player on their on their board. And I think this Carson kid, you know, we we al Harrison, these guys do a great job of working with these corners, and this kid's got these the same kind of traits that you see with the with the corners that play here. And so I really do like how they just didn't. They didn't, you know, say oh we got to have a runner. No, they took their best player and and it was Carson, and I think he's gonna work out fine for them. I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I mean, I loved the Carson pick. I think they did a lot. And you mentioned stay true to your board. I think that was reflective. Obviously with the trade that they made moving back, they got the great value of getting that third round pick, which they ended up getting with Cooper Beebe. But this undrafted class pretty interesting. Some big names to discuss. You know, we kind of broke down, took a couple of players each to kick around the tires on. But you bring in a running back in Nathaniel Pete from Missouri. Now, Pete's a guy that transferred from Stanford four three seven. Like we were talking to the scouts right, Mitchell Point was telling us, Hey, we want some juice. Pete's gonna bring you some juice. What I liked about watching Pete was there's not a whole lot of wasted motion with him. He's a guy that's going to get up there, one cut, get up the field between the tackles. Now, what I'd like to see is a little bit more when it comes to in the passing game. I think there's more meat left on that bone. Of course, he was Cody Schrader there at Missoo right, took the majority of the area. Yeah, and so there's not a lot of tread on the tiers there with Pete. But he's a guy that's fast, he can get up the field. I think he can be a pretty good receiver out of the backfield. So that's gonna be a guy that can come in, can compete. Now they're going to go running back by committee. We now know that Ezekiel Elliott's here. You've got him, You've got Royce Freeman, who they added they still love Rico Daudell, I'm sure, and then Deuce Vaughan a year ago. But I do think when you look at over all this draft class what it was helped and we can get twitter on the twenty a lot of the questions for the running back, which we can get to cot up on the other side. But one thing I think that was massively helped in the running game was what they did with the offensive line. Bry bringing in guiding Bry bringing in Cooper Beeby, and how about even a guy in Nate Thomas now who's going to add a lot of depth and competition, probably kicking inside to guard I would assume at the next level. But they did a great job of adding some toughness, some nasty. When you talk about getting movement off the football, let's go ahead and get some knock back.
Speaker 2: They did that.
Speaker 3: I think just by those additions, naturally they should be a better run blocking unit up front, which will help the running backs in general.
Speaker 2: But Nathaniel Pete's got a little something here. I'm excited to watch.
Speaker 3: Him play when we get to mini camps and then Oxnard there for training camp.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were talking to Jake ferguson night at the Reliant Home Run Derby about the run game and specifically that's something he's trying to work on more so this year. I think he took a big stride last year and being able to help block in the run game, but now this year being able to maybe do some combo action with Tyler Geiden or moving around to the right side with Terren Steel that he's gotten used to. It's a big emphasis and I think that's probably a big emphasis for the team all the way around. And speaking of I think a tight end that they brought into the building. I hope I'm not stilling your guy here. Brevin span Ford, No, okay.
Speaker 2: Got him. I loved Revin span Ford. Man. I was surprised that he did not get drafted. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean you look at his size, his ability to block, but also as a receiver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that guy's got a massive wing span. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Whenever I went to Mobile for the Senior Bowl, he was probably one of the guys that stood up the most in the lobby. You talk about the All Lobby team, He's somewhere on there six foot six, two hundred and fifty pound frame, and man, he gets after it in the run game. In my opinion, he was a top three run blocker in the tight end position for this entire drift class, so be able to get that guy in that's the first guy that they signed. They probably put the most likely. The numbers aren't aren't finalized. And another note, these guys aren't finalized until they come in next Thursday to sign, so you know, these guys can still flip between now and then. But Brevin span Ford probably gonna end up with the most guaranteed money in this in this undrafted free agent class, just because of that frame and how it works in the run blocking game. I mean, they came away with two tight ends here, Brevin span Ford from Minnesota and Alec Hohler from UCF and you see the run game knacks and both of those guys, and then being able to get some push at the point of attack and really be able to do some good things. But also at the Senior Bowl, what I was able to pick up off span Ford was the red zone ability, the possession ability. I think he's a guy that you could throw it up to and he'll be able to come down with it. Might be it might need to work on his hands a little bit, but I think this is a fun weapon that they found here in the undrafted pool. And man if he ends up panning out that that tight end room, all of a sudden, we're looking about a year ago it was was getting scary and now it's getting crowded.
Speaker 5: So it's a fascinating one. I will say.
Speaker 4: But I'm gonna let Brian talk on this guy a little bit more. My favorite Udi and this classes of Moni Johnson on a Nevada Well talk about him. Yeah, I think he's I think he's probably one of the better run defending safeties that you saw in the group of five ranks last year. Didn't really get the opportunity to shine until twenty twenty three. He came out of Hercules, California, and yeah, finally had the opportunity to start and really shine in twenty twenty three, and man did he He's show up for it. One hundred tackles in the run game. I think he's a strong safety at the next level. You see him picking up tight ends across the middle of the field. You see him picking up running backs coming out of the backfield. He can cover a boundary to boundary. I mean, he's got the speed and the link to be able to cover those guys and man stepping up in the run game. It's incredible what he's able to do. I think I spent about forty five minutes watching film of his Last Night All twenty two film, and man, he is a special talent in the run game. I think they found something here. That's another position that all of a sudden, it could get pretty crowded if a couple of these yu fas pan out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, you absolutely nailed the player. He wants to be in the action and he's got a feel for how to work through trash in order to find the ball. He's a physical tackler, as you mentioned. I think he's a good athlete, and there's some strength I think in his coverage ability, especially in the zone stuff. I think that's kind of going to be his his better than say some of the man stuff. But man, when he's playing his zone, the tracking of the ball, he had three interceptions in twenty twenty three, so you kind of have an idea that if he sees it, he can get over there and make the play. He's got the football intelligence that Mike Zimmer really likes. He's got the awareness the playing speed might be a little of a question for me, might be a little bit of that, but overall though he's very aggressive in the run support and everything about him older. The six year player thing too is but man, I mean he's got the size, he's a good enough athlete, he's strong, and the fact that he has some ball skills to him. I think that's you know, you're always just looking for trade signing these guys, but all about all that encompasses him as a player is pretty positives.
Speaker 3: A big frame there too at six ' two, with the length as well, and I bet Bones is excited to get him in the special teams.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: And to the playing speed point, he's probably a guy you want playing in front of him.
Speaker 2: Absolutely yeah, he's the everything yet and.
Speaker 4: If he's playing in front of him, playing speed doesn't really bother me that much. But I see where you're coming from there. But I think he's a really talented player. The link stood out to me my favorite trade about him that I didn't dive into. He is animated as hell, like whatever he makes the play, he is getting up and making sure you know that he made the plays. So that could be a fun integration into that safety room. It's kint a lot of personality.
Speaker 3: How always were hunting safeties with this undrafted free agent list. I mean Julius would from East Carolina. He's an interesting player as well. I think maybe a little bit more well rounded when you talk about the coverage ability than Johnson, who you were discussing there, But Johnson my got he is a thumper. I mean you talk about one hundred tackles that he had there at Nevada. I also kind of like Denzel Dackson, who when we were watching Johnny Newton out of Illinois, you know Daxon you naturally watch as well. He was his running mate there. But that's a dude you talk about run stopping. I mean you get him and Justin Rodgers there in the seventh round, you know, just trying to go ahead and fill that defensive tackle depth. But those are two guys that can really help in the run game there at defensive tackle. That's certainly his strength there with Denzel Jackson. So some interesting names there with undrafted free agency. As we look back at the draft, lastes.
Speaker 2: Can I mention it can I mention ya, Okay, did you guys happen to see Byron Vaughns at all from Baylor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, unfortunately, I've known about him for a good six seven years.
Speaker 2: He's filled me in on him. I mean, went to high school. His travels is unique. He's a local kid though he's from four.
Speaker 5: War went went to Eastern Hills, I believe high school. Don't quote me on that.
Speaker 4: I believe he did, uh, and went to Texas out of high school. He was a highly touted recruit. Went to Texas, spent a season or two there, and then ended up at Utah State in the Portal, and it was kind of a bounce back opportunity for him, and man, did he shine at Utah State. Really put himself back on the map. Pushed him up to Baylor out of the portal a couple of years ago. Spent a couple of years in Waco, and man really productive two seasons. But his journey yet definitely unique.
Speaker 2: See the thing about him is I saw him at Baylor play as a hand down guy and then a stand up guy. So I'm interested to see how they how they work him here. But you talk about the get off on the football, He's got some power with his inside moves. He's got the speed to grab the edge. He's a little bit of a long strider. I mean when you watch him off the ball, it's like long and then a long again and sometimes I could get you controlled. But he's got a slippery element to his game. The way that he plays. He chases the ball, the awareness to close and also saw him kind of hold his ground when the ball was run his direction and he was able to finish when he got into position. So he's kind of a tweener when you look at are they going to play him as a linebacker or are they going to play him as a as an edge on a on a full time basis. But he's a guy that does have some of those traits again that we're talking about.
Speaker 5: Eighty four inch wingspin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's amazing, my gosh.
Speaker 3: And I mean I was watching when you look at one of these guys, maybe multiple are gonna end up making this roster every year the Cowboys do an excellent job with this. I was watching Brevin span Ford. I'm my goodness, Yeah, I think this dude's gonna end up making it.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I mean, because I know people are asking, like, okay, which which underraptor Rooie for agency? You think have the best chance. I know that's now becoming a crowded, tight end room. He brings you a little bit of something when it comes to well rounded play. Six foot six, two point fifty, the blocking in that room, Payton hundershot, you need to have yourself a good camp man, I guess. And if John Stevens comes back, I mean he's a guy that looked like he was on his way to make the fifty three span. Ford brings you a little bit of a difference than you have with some of the other guys in that room. I think I would bet on him to make it. Man, I'm bumpulling for all these guys. But that's one thing they've done is added a lot of competition.
Speaker 2: I love that well there. This is something they take a lot of pride in. And you know, when you have names left over on your board, if they tell you they have ten names on their board, you know, at the end of the draft, those are the first ten eyes are going to go trying to attack. You know, that's something they've done a really good job of convincing players, convincing agents, you know, maybe masking a little bit of their depth chart of you know, well agents says well, you've got no, no, no, man, We've got to open guy. You know, they've convinced a lot of these agents and players that you come here, you have opportunity. And they had a lot of you know, they they can sell that. They had a lot of guys walk out of here, you know, during during the during the springtime when you know when free agency started. So yeah, you're gonna sell opportunity. But they do a great job. Chris Hall and Todd Williams out of Pacific, all those guys. They keep that board intact. They don't they don't have a lot of fluctuation, like, well, I don't know about this guy. If they put that guy on that draft board and he doesn't get picked, they're gonna do everything in their power to try and get that guy. So that that part that I've always really appreciated about the process, and they've landed some guys doing it that way.
Speaker 3: Did you have any fun stories of your days like trying to be a will to recruit like.
Speaker 2: Sean Payton. Sean Payton and the Tony Romos story is incredible. I mean, Sean got on the phone with him. We had Tony in the fifth round and to Chris Hall's credit, he did not. You know, sometimes scouts go, well, I'm gonna move this guy down, you know, Okay, put the guys where you need to, you know, and and Chris Hall wouldn't let Tony Romo's tag move. He had him there in the fifth and and Sean Payton got on the phone during the draft for like two rounds and he kept telling Tony, hey, we got it. We're gonna pick you. We're gonna pick you, We're gonna pay and then never did pick him. And then it came down to, okay, man, this strap's over. This is what I'm selling. And Sean jim Hess, those guys were just recruiting their ass off. You know. It came down to really Jerry Bill Parcells, you know, being able to you know, make it to get that done because he was it looked like he was going to Denver. Yeah, Denver, Denver. Denver was the team that was in play, you know, and Mike Shanahan is an Eastern Illinois guy, and so that was kind of like playing against us when Sean Payton involved too. But man, he Sean did a great job of recruiting there, and Tony, you know, made a decision that that changed, you know, his his career path, the way he was able to have the kind of career by coming here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's fascinating.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: The story times with Brian and Christy, those are my favorites.
Speaker 2: Man, when you're old. When you're old, you get involved with a lot of stories. But it's it was kind of the wild West back then, you know. Yeah, And I don't know if it's I know, these guys are super organized, but I remember it was almost like being on a stock exchange floor because you had you had all the stocks, and but you always had people coming in and out of the room like, hey we got this guy, No, we lost this guy, I know, you know, And so there was always this constant you know, Steven and Adam and Todd Williams and those guys were always kind of okay, we need okay, we're down, we need to we need a corner, you know, Okay, who's who's working on a corner? Boom, okay we got that one. We need to tie it in, who's working on that. There was always it was always organized. You know. We lost some guys along the way too, but but it was so it wasn't just yeah, randomly, let's go sign some guys and fill out the roster. There was a real plan, and that's where you see you get a guy like TJ. Bass and others. You know, you get guys like that because A they're on your draft board. B you have a plan. See you're probably recruiting him. You know, you got your line coach on the phone in the seventh round saying all right, man, hey, I loved your workout. Trust me here, You're gonna be involved. You're probably gonna you can make this team. You know, there's a lot of that that goes on here.
Speaker 4: How much of you? How much would you say? A part of that is also just having a little bit of uh, what's what is the word I'm trying to look for, maybe a derivative of what Gil Brandt instituted way back when, you know, and being able to get guys like Everson Walls, Drew Peterson, Cliff Oh great history really just kind of coming down Not to say that other teams haven't always taken the UDFA market seriously, but it feels like the Cowboys have hit on it more so than others.
Speaker 2: I started working here in nineteen ninety nine and the one thing that I really did. Our draft board, my first draft. I remember it just being massive. You know. I was used to a draft board of one hundred and fifty players and just drafted off that. And you know, and because I didn't the clutter, I just we were all we just didn't like the clutter of it all. And you know, Dallas switch to Larry Layswell was credit said, hey, we could go to a smaller board. And through the years it's developed. Will mcclay's got his board the way he likes it. But yeah, I think I think there's a great history here, this this organization, and I know the Jones family like to say since ninety nine, so I was here ninety nine through two thousand and five. The college free agent part of it was very important. It was you know, you could get on and for not caring about pro free agency, but they care about that the undrafted one. They really really that is something that is super important to them because again it's the it's the it's cheaper talent, but the chance to hit on one of those guys, Like you say, you hit on a TJ. Bass, you potentially got a you know, three four year starter.
Speaker 3: Again like that, you know, if you, if you, when you do no doubt the year I mean Mark e Spell comes to mind as well what he's been able to do for him. So they have done an excellent job in the rookie free agent class. Let's step aside here on the Draft Show. We got some twitter on the twenty for one final time of the twenty twenty four NFL Draft season. That's next as the Draft Show rolls on, presented by Miller Lyte.
Speaker 6: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: And they snapped the press guy who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 1: He escapes left.
Speaker 2: He'll run for a first down.
Speaker 6: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 2: Prescott's gonna run this himself.
Speaker 5: Run it up the middle any stores.
Speaker 6: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 6: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 7: I'm Darren Woodson, former Dallas Cowboy player and Super Bowl Champion.
Speaker 2: When I played in the NFL.
Speaker 7: At a high level, I relied on my vision to see the field. As I started getting older, I noticed my vision wasn't as good and I was getting frustrated from wearing my glasses all day. I went to Lasercare Eye Center and Doctor G talked about all the options. Thanks to technology and Lasercare Eye Center, I can see near far in between.
Speaker 2: Don't fumble your vision any longer.
Speaker 7: Visit them at dfwis dot com and tell them Darren Center.
Speaker 2: They got me back on my game.
Speaker 8: In a stressful world, Lincoln provides balance and calm amidst the chaos by creating sanctuaries that move you through the world with ease. Our vehicles make your time richer and more uplifting with human centric design, intelligent technology, and powerful performance. As the official luxury vehicle of the Dallas Cowboys, driving a Lincoln is just another way to show your team experience our full lineup of luxury vehicles, including the Corsair Aviator, Navigator and nonilists at Lincoln dot com.
Speaker 9: Hi, I'm Danny McCrae, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our smoothie bowls into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool Issae or Fatalia bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Vernola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle, perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors only as Smoothie King. The official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys is the Dallascowboys dot.
Speaker 2: Com Draft Shuck.
Speaker 3: All Right, Draft show Roll John Here, presented by Miller, lizach Wolchuck, Nick Harrish, the Super Bowl winning scout Brian broad Us and for one final time, this draft season will be back before we know, and I know, Nick, We're already getting our boards ready to go for twenty twenty five. The work never is done, but it's time for some twitter on.
Speaker 2: Can I start this off for let's do Let's go in front of you, and I'm sorry I should have prepped you guys in this when we were talking, who's your highest rated player you had left on your board? Oh? Okay, okay, and you're stacked? Did mine was? Mine? Was Leonard Taylor the Miami Oh.
Speaker 3: I think mine was too, because I had him as a as the hundredth best best player. I had him won the best the hundredth best player for me.
Speaker 2: I think Leonard Taylor was my guy. And at one hundred and eighteen of my stack of the two hundred and twelve guys that I had him, and Nelson Caesar from Houston was another one. And then Gabriel Murphy. I am shocked. Can't believe d't I'm shocked that Gabriel Murphy didn't get drafted.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I am too.
Speaker 2: There must be I was. I got Burglar on the phone and I go, all right, expert, man, you know, we scout all these guys, and you know, some of them don't even get drafted. What happened? He has? Man? I don't know. Sometimes you know, it's these teams, you know, we think it's a medical, we think it's but the playing ability of the guys that just named Taylor, Caesar, Murphy, I mean those were all draftable players to all of them were drafted.
Speaker 3: Another name that I had was Curtis Jacobs, the linebacker at Penn Stay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Curtis Jacobs and Isaiah Williams, receiver out of Illinois. Those are my two guys. I really liked Isaiah Williams. I thought he was really talented. He ended up in Detroit as an undrafted free agent. There was some talented guys in this undrafted pool for sure.
Speaker 2: All Right.
Speaker 3: Some of the questions that we got as we put out some twitter on the twenty we had, which player from Chance Johnson was the biggest steal in the draft from where they were valued in comparison to where they were taken in your opinion? So the Cowboys are overall, I think, just overall.
Speaker 2: The biggest steal.
Speaker 5: Man, This one's that's a tough, tough yeah.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: In the first round, for me, the one that I looked at was Teary and Arnold going all the way to the Lions there in the twenties. I was like, man, I had him as the number one corner and for him and the Lions needed a cornerback for Arnold to slide to where he did and for them to be able to get him there. I thought was tremendous value for the first round. For me, he was the best value.
Speaker 2: I hate. Peyton Wilson's the guy for me. And I know it's injury history and all that, but where Pittsburgh took him. If if Peyton Wilson stays healthy like he did at North Carolina State, the Pittsburgh Steelers completely stole a player here from the draft board. Yeah. And the only thing, the only thing that was hurting Peyton Wilson was the tape and in excuse me, the injuries. Sure, somebody until somebody in with one of my Gang of seven or any of those guys tell me different, I'm always going to believe that guy right there will be a steal for the team that draft because I just had this gut that the Cowboys weren't going to take him, you know, it just wasn't going to work out for them. So I was going to see which team I kind of thought. I thought the Ravens. You know, me and my love and the Ravens and the way they draft. My second best love is like the Steelers and the way that they do things. So the fact that he ended up there I thought was a steal for where they got him.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna stick with the Steelers and I'm gonna stick with a Wilson as well. Of them getting Roman Wilson at pick eighty four. I mean, this is a guy whenever we were coming out of Senior Bowl was potentially talking he was going to be in that early second round mix that Keon Coleman and Lad McConkie ended up in. But he ended up slipping to mid third round and the Steelers get a really big time playmaker there.
Speaker 5: I think that's a really good value for them.
Speaker 2: Man, the Steelers.
Speaker 3: I mean when we'll talk, maybe on the other side about some of the best drafts, but I think the Steelers' consensus is they were among the top probably three teams they came. I mean their offensive line, they did a great job filling that with foult toime you there in the first round they circle back to Zach Fraser.
Speaker 2: The Steelers cleaned up. They really don't wait. Let me, can I give you one more We could play this game. We could have a five hours. I'm gonna throw one more into after you. I bet you I get your guy? Who is it? Jayden Hicks? Okay, so fair.
Speaker 3: The Chiefs had my favorite draft, and I think that they they crushed it.
Speaker 2: But I love what you're doing here with Jaden Hicks. Fire away, Brian No, Jayden Hicks. I mean, for Kansas City. Here, here's the team. They're taking over the role of the sit at the bottom of the board and just kind of wait and maybe make a little move up or Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna I'm gonna get in the third fourth round, I'm gonna make another little move up, or I'm gonna go down and Jaydane Hicks falling in their lap. I I don't know how that happened. It just seems like that these players. When you watch a guy like Jayden Hicks play, you're just like, wow. We there were people that thought that Hicks was over Nuban. I know myself, I had Nuban over Hicks, but I respected Hicks's game a ton And where where Kansas City grabbed him?
Speaker 3: Yes to me, that agree that was a tremendous value there.
Speaker 2: The guy that I.
Speaker 3: Wanted to throw out was Jalen McMillan to get him in the third round at ninety two for Tampa. I mean, and this was a I mean, I think even Roman Wilson slid into the third round when we talked about it the entire time, the amount of wide receivers, but Jalen McMillan I love, And when you look at a guy like Mike Evans who's getting a little bit older, I think Jalen McMillan's going to be a stud there in Tampa Bay for many, many years to come. I loved that selection there, the wide receiver out of Washington, one of my favorite wide receivers in the entire draft. Okay, we got this question from Austin. If Cooper Bebe doesn't end up winning the starting job at center, what do you think the starting five looks like? And do you think Bebe would plug in at maybe left guard if Guidon's not ready to rock at left tackle, and then you move Tyler's Smith out.
Speaker 4: I think those are all possibilities, don't I don't think there's a solidified, hey, we're going to try and make this starting five work going in a training can. I don't think that's the mindset. I think it's, Hey, we're gonna bring these two guys in, we're gonna work them well. In Bbe's case, we're going to work them at different positions, and we're gonna see who's ready to be able to start week one, and if they're not, we're gonna put We're gonna play around with with what we got. So options at center, you got Brock Hoffman, TJ.
Speaker 5: Bass. Probably you lean more so Hoffman. It feels like TJ. Bass.
Speaker 4: They want to be able to just hone in at the guard position and let them let him work there.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 4: If Bbe's not ready to start at center, but he's ready to start at guard, they can put him at left guard and put Tyler Smith at left tackle.
Speaker 5: That's certainly an option.
Speaker 4: But I think if you ask the team, hey, what is your ideal scenario, it is keeping Tyler Smith at left guard and letting everything else play out. I think if you ask a team, that is what they want to do. But again, you factor in Hoffman BB to the center position, and then at left tackle you factor in Tyler Geidon and then the depth behind him.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of love. As we on day three got to talk to Mike Solari and others about Brock Kaufman. There's a lot more love about him than maybe Dallas media. Uh, you know, people around the league, maybe what they think about the player. They have a lot of faith in him. They didn't, you know, the drafting of a center or another center. High was maybe that you know, Mike Solarius and this is redundant. Why are we drafting a center? Why are we drafting you know, pure center. Let's let's think about this. The the the BB pick makes a lot of sense just because he could play a couple of different spots, but that there is a lot of love across the hall for Brock Kauffman as a player. And so we'll we'll see if they're we'll see if their admiration for the player is true when we get to training camp.
Speaker 4: This is not to speak on anyone else not being here, because there's been a lot of players that have been in this building since the end of the season. Brock Coffman's probably the only guy I've seen in here every single day. Yeah, and not only is he working here, he's working across the street with do Mini was So, I mean, he's he's putting a lot of work.
Speaker 3: Seasons and you got to give Brock a lot of credit anytime his name was called you talk about the Arizona game Washington, I mean.
Speaker 2: He played well he did.
Speaker 3: I mean he he rose to the occasion that tape was good there with Brad Coffins, So that's gonna be a fun battle with him and Cooper Beebe.
Speaker 2: But you're right the big thing.
Speaker 3: And you could see Mike Slauri's face light up, and we were asking him like, okay, you get get and how important was that?
Speaker 2: So you can keep Tyler smith Guard. He's like, hell, yeah, we want to keep do smith Guard. And then Guidance's gonna be fun too. Okay.
Speaker 3: Last one here from some guy named Bobby Belt. And this might be a little bit of an arrogant question here if you ask me, but why didn't they draft a running back and fellas I think, and you guys may agree, I think he probably Dukes. We've all talked about this. When they decided to go with Maris Leuisfowl a linebacker instead of taking Marshawn Lloyd, instead of taking Jalen Wright.
Speaker 2: Then they got wiped out.
Speaker 3: And and I don't think that there really another I mean we're sitting here, we all looking like, what are you gonna do? I think that they would have been kind of reaching over some other guys. They had great a hire just to take a running back for the sake of taking one once they decided to go with marriage Luifoul.
Speaker 2: When Lui Foul got picked, I lost my dream for drafting a running back because I didn't think this thing was gonna stretch, you know. I mean, I my love for Lloyd and Wright and those guys were was big. And so when you passed on that, I'm thinking, you're not gonna get those guys. Those guys aren't gonna slide. And so, like I said, I applaud them for not reaching for somebody just to reach for somebody. I've seen him do this before, where they just take a running back and the kid, you know, he doesn't look good in camp, you try him on the practice squad and then the next thing you know, he's gone. You know, they move him off the practice squad. So yeah, they you know, And I don't know, I don't think the Zeke signing or the potential of Zeke signing took them out of that. I don't know if I'm right or wrong about that.
Speaker 4: I mean, Jerry Jones said that that Zeke coming back into the equation was a big factor into their running back discussion going into the draft.
Speaker 5: But I I find that really hard to believe.
Speaker 2: At the end of the Yeah, I I you know, I think they did. I think they you know, what do they do? You know, Nick did a great job for Dallas Cowboys dot Com when it came to the thirty visit thing. Yeah, absolutely, you guys were you guys were on top of that, really on top of that, and you know you're reporting this and you know, reporting this back and it seemed like they had all these running backs coming in. So it was a concern. It was something that like, Okay, maybe we need to address this. But yeah, they we'll see, we'll see, history will play the thing that And I've said this before, and I'm sorry, folks, I repeat myself. I do this a lot. But the when when when they lost out, when Green Bay took my guy right after them, when they took Lloyd right after you know, they took the linebacker, that's when I my mine went Okay, I felt like I had the guy right that's where okay, that's where he should have been taken, you know, And and Dallas had a chance to take Lloyd, and you know they but but listen to them talk about this linebacker. The Scott Mcurley linebacker. They did not want to get caught in the situation again like they had last year. We're poor, you know, they got safeties playing down in the box as linebackers. They wanted to make sure that they protected themselves that way. And history will show whether they were right or wrong about this.
Speaker 5: I hate grading picks because I think it's real.
Speaker 2: We need to wait and see how they play.
Speaker 5: I hate grating.
Speaker 4: But would you guys have taken Luifoul over the running backs that we're still on the board, if you have the opportunity to take that pick right now?
Speaker 5: What would me?
Speaker 2: Personally? You?
Speaker 5: Personally?
Speaker 2: And they don't. They don't give a damn what I think.
Speaker 5: They don't give a damn what you think.
Speaker 2: They do not they do not give a damn what I think.
Speaker 5: But what would you do?
Speaker 2: Person Yeah? They I would have taken the runner.
Speaker 5: I would have taken Lloyd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would have taken right Well, did a lot of sense because the tags to me were touching. They were absolutely touching right there to me. And if you said, okay, what I what? I the them going out and I can understand the kneeling, I can understand the kneeling pick, I really do. And then the fact that you were able to address that, you know, all of a sudden you got Bebe and Giton and you're like, okay, you got this offensive line, now go get a runner. You know, I can understand why you drafted Neelon. I really can't sure, you know, because we're we're sitting there and focus on tackles and linebackers. As far as bad run defenders. Their edges weren't great. They lost two ends in free AIG they lost, and so they kneeling makes a lot of sense. But but when, but when that that linebacker was taken, I I said, Okay, they're thinking about this totally different than me. But I understood after listening to McCurley and them talk day three, they didn't want to get caught in a situation where they were short on linebacker. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I agree with everything you said. That what they did make sense. And then when we're sitting there in the fourth round and you're seeing Wright come off the board to Miami and Ray Davis come off the board to Buffalo out.
Speaker 2: Of Kentucky, I mean, all all the running backs.
Speaker 3: Just when I think Grendo, Yeah, and when we were thinking about maybe isaa garendro can fall, you had a.
Speaker 2: Little skulls were never gonna get Yeah, they were never going to get there, no question.
Speaker 3: All right, there's Twitter on the twenty Thank you to everybody who's been sending in questions. I know we can't get to everybody, but we love all the interaction, the feedback, and that you guys just enjoy listening and interacting with the show. It makes everything so special for us. We will put a bow on the twenty twenty four NFL draft. Let's look at some of our favorite picks and fits. Maybe a draft class that we really loved from the twenty twenty four route. That's next to the draft show rolls on.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 10: Drew Pearston, former Dallas Cowboy and now Pro Football Hall of Famer. Here ruggling with your vision and tired of those contacts and glasses. Don't throw ahell, Mary, go where I went. Lasercare Eye Center, the official laser partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: Drew, thank you so much for trusting us with your vision correction procedure. At Lasercare I Center, we offer six different vision correction procedures to help patient see.
Speaker 10: Check them out at dfwis dot com. Tell them Drew sent you hood hout.
Speaker 8: In a stressful world, Lincoln provides balance and calm amidst the chaos by creating sanctuaries that move you through the world with ease. Our vehicles make your time richer and more uplifting with human centric design, intelligent technology, and powerful performance. As the official luxury vehicle of the Dallas Cowboys, driving a Lincoln is just another way to show your team pride. Experience our full lineup of luxury vehicles, including the Corsair Aviator, Navigator and Natilists at Lincoln dot com.
Speaker 6: I'm Doak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and a.
Speaker 2: Snap of the Press guy who looks l like it's an there he escaped slap. He'll look for a first down. Just like football.
Speaker 6: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 2: Press Scot's gonna run this ship. Shelf run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 6: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 6: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 9: Hi, I'm Danny mccraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King, and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our smoothe bowls into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool Issai or Pataya bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle, perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors, only at Smoothie King. The official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Is the Dallascowboys dot Com.
Speaker 2: Draft show on what was a player that you thought?
Speaker 3: Man, that's a great fit, great value, all the above for a certain team in the class. And I think when it was made I had thrown this out there just during the course of the draft, Nick, I mean, I was talking to you about it, But to me, I loved the fit of Jared Wiley, the TCU tight end going to Kansas City.
Speaker 2: I mean, when you.
Speaker 3: Watch Jared Wiley, big body tight ends, a guy who started his career at Texas local player from Temple High School here in a great high school football program there with Temple. But Jared Wiley has a lot of I mean, I'm not trying to say, look, this guy's going to turn into a Hall of Fame tight end in Travis Kelcey. But to get to go to Kansas City where he's behind Kelsey, he's playing with Patrick Mahomes, he's under Andy Reid, who you know really well, Brian, but he's got some Jared, He's got some Kelsey like trade when you watch him as a receiver. The big question with Jared Wiley was okay as a blocker, but he's got the size, like I don't think there's any doubt he can develop into a better blocker, much like Travis Kelsey has. But my gosh, as a receiving threat, I know, you know, outside of Rock Bauers, I thought he was the best receiving tight end in the draft. His ability to stretch the field up the middle, down the seam, you get the ball in his hands, He's tough to bring down. He's got some quickness to his game. Jared Wiley, I loved that fit.
Speaker 2: They pick him in the.
Speaker 3: Fourth round, one thirty one overall to Kansas City. I thought that was a home run selection, and I'm excited to see how he grows and develops there behind Travis Kelcey.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll give you.
Speaker 4: One in each of the first three rounds if I could. I know I mentioned it on night one, and I've mentioned a lot about oulu Fashnu during the time of the draft show. And just because I didn't.
Speaker 2: Liked him a lot more than everybody else, I was a hater. Hater. Yeah, okay, I'm sorry that.
Speaker 4: I think it's because I needed I think he needed a red shirt year. I think he needs to come into a program and really develop. He's gonna have the opportunity to do that with the Jets. I think that's a great fit, a great pick. I am picking him at eleven if I understand that, Hey, I don't need him.
Speaker 5: To start immediately. I'm taking him at eleven.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, so.
Speaker 4: I think this is gonna be a really good fit for Olu Fashn, who really liked that pick from the Jets because they have Tyron Smith that can kind of help mold him into what they want him to be potentially. Moving on, My second round fit that I really like, and this is a guy that slipped who you could probably talk about really good value. Adam and I Mitchell go into the Colts. Sure they needed a receiver coming into this draft, and you know, some mocks had them potentially taking one at fifteen or maybe sliding back in the first round of grabbing a guy like Xavier Worthy or something like that. But they stick at twenty in the second round and they're able to grab Ady Mitchell, who can slide in and immediately start at wide receiver one for them or wide receiver two next to Michael Pittman. I think that's a really good fit for a guy that can stretch the field. He's got the speed to go downfield and be a vertical threat, but he's also got the tree as well, and he's got possession skills. Man, you throw it up to him in the red zone, he's bringing it down. My round three fit that I really like, and this is just it's it's you'll understand Junior Colson to the Chargers.
Speaker 5: I mean he used to go back and play with Harball.
Speaker 4: It's in a room that just lost Eric Kendricks, so he can slide in and potentially start on day one. I think he is a day one starter, really good pick there by the Chargers, and he's able to go to familiar territory, which is really important for him.
Speaker 2: You know my love for Ricky Piersoll, so we won't talk about that. I think that's a great fit for him where he had ended up there in San Francisco. The guy that I thought was a really great value and we kind of talked about him, was Mike sanderstill the Commanders took in the second round, and I really like where to me the fact that converted wide receiver that has he's got this this cornerback thing down. I mean you watch the awareness he plays with his ability to play with quickness. I mentioned a guy that the traits that I saw a guy from back in my day when I Scott. It was Ronde Barber at Tampa Bay. Smaller. Sander still is quicker, faster, but he's got those same kind of traits. He's sticky, he could play an outside, he could play inside. He's a really good blitzer sure, and that's what and that's what Ronde Barber used to be able to do. Uh, you know Monti Kiff and Rod Marinelli, those guys. They used to blind him up in the slot and bring him on blitzes and he would get home and get sacks. He was also really good at the interception aspects of things. I really do think that the Commander's got him one that they you know, they they were trying to get Jordan Lewis, right, and the Commanders they were trying to get Jordan Lewis. Yeah, they were looking for a nickel. This guy, immediately, I think, is going to come in and play at a high level nickel for the Commanders this year. Mike Sander, still, I agree with you.
Speaker 3: I think in the second round Blake Fisher going to the Texans fifty nine overall from Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: I love that pick for them. I thought that was a home run.
Speaker 3: I gotta say, like, just to throw out the opposite side of this, like, what was a pick that was made that was most puzzling. I liked him more than you did, Brian, but to take him here, I was like, ooh, that's rich for me. Mason Smith, the defensive tackle from LSU. The Jags take him in him at forty eight and we saw that run in defensive tackle, so maybe they knew something like we got to go ahead and just pull.
Speaker 2: The trigger here. But I had a fourth on Mason Smith. They know me forty eight. No, no, you you actually have him, You have him better than well. I think I had him in the fourth too. Here I'm looking at my board. Yeah I did. I had him at fourth, but I didn't have him. I had the the defensive tackle from Texas A and m McKinley Jackson ahead of him. But yeah, there's that. Mason Smith's a gamble now because there's some Nick will tell you all about the five star guy and everything that led into recruiting him. But he's dealt with some injuries now and stuff like that. He tends to play a little high that that could that is very boom or bust right there for that player.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna stay back with a seventh round pick. Taj Washington to the Domhins.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Brendan Rice to the Chargers.
Speaker 3: Talk about value Rice as the top one hundred player they get him in the seventh round.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How about Austin Booker too was another one. Yeah, talk to the Bears. That's a great pick. Michael Pratt another one too in Green Bay. I'm glad you brought that up.
Speaker 3: So one of my first So the Chiefs I thought nailed the draft, like getting a guy like Hunter Norsad.
Speaker 2: You brought up Jaden Hicks.
Speaker 6: Dyln King.
Speaker 3: I mean, but Green Bay. I thought Green Bay had an excellent draft. Jordan Morgan I think is a great pick for them. Whether they want to play them at tackler guard, I think they do want to play at tackle. Edrin Cooper in the second round forty five overall, I thought was a perfect spot. They took my guy, Javon Bullard, the safety from Georgia at fifty eight. They lost Darnell Savage. Bullard's a plug and play right there. They got Marshawn Lloyd right after the Cowboys there, Brian Hopper, the linebacker from the Zooked.
Speaker 2: We liked him as well.
Speaker 3: But I really loved the three picks that they made in the sixth and then the two and the seventh round. Travis Glover Junior. They did this with John Runyon. They took late and he played. I think Glover's gonna play. I think he's a good player. I the size is there, the athletic traits are there. But then we talked about you throw the dart at the quarterback? Packers did it? Michael Pratt tremendous value. I think we all had him as like that. Next year we're taking him like third round. I wouldn't have been surprised to see Michael Pratt go off the board. You get him in the seventh out of tu lane and then klan King. That's tremendous value. Brought his name up the corner from Penn State. I thought he'd go anywhere from on day two the second or third round.
Speaker 2: I did too. I had him as a third round guy there. So yeah, the Packers and they were right behind you the majority of the day. So every time you made a pick, then it came down the Packers and I know, marking off my charts. Some like going, man, that was better. So you start comparing him to the team. You're you know, you're I mean, I'm looking at the Cowboy. I'm thinking, Okay, I like that pick better than they just made than Dallas just made. I like that pick, but you know, you're just kind of looking at that that way. So I thought the Packers, and it's not the fact that I worked at the Packers. I thought that their board was they did an indicative of my board, And maybe that's a maybe that's a curse for the Packers. Maybe maybe we're giving them a love and these guys don't turn out to be good. But I liked they also.
Speaker 5: Picked Keith Nola Dappo there at the end of the fifth round.
Speaker 4: That's a safety that has a ton of lamb that I think can play in space. Maybe more so a strong guy, but I think he can play.
Speaker 5: In space too. But that was a safety that I really loved in the process just because of his length.
Speaker 3: Any other teams stood out to you, guys, It's like, man, they did a great job.
Speaker 2: I think Baltimore every year we look at them.
Speaker 3: The two corners they get with Nate Wiggins the end of the first round and then TJ. Tampa and the fourth those were steals.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no one wants to hear it. But the Eagles, man, they had a great class.
Speaker 4: It's it's it feels like every year I'm gawing at the Eagles class they needed secondary help, and they sured that up really early on with Quentyn Mitchell and Cooper dejen who depending on who you talk to, a lot of those guys or both of those guys have a number one corner slot on a lot of different boards.
Speaker 5: Jylyx Hunt.
Speaker 4: They get a super athletic pass rusher there in the third round, and then they're able to get an offensive weapon in Anya Smith, and they're able to get the Clemson duo of will Ship Lee and Jeremona Jeremiah Trotter, they get a red zone weapon Johnny Wilson. I mean, it's it's a pretty phenomenal draft. And then I don't want to steal from Brian because I feel like he's going to talk about it.
Speaker 5: But this Pittsburgh draft was probably.
Speaker 2: We've talked about Pittsburgh and they did a great job, so, you know, and like I say, we'll see. That's a great thing about the draft is, you know, three years I had a guy tell me I had the you know that draft we did in Philadelphia ninety eight. I had a scout tell me I had the worst draft in the history of the NFL, you know, and John Golder, God rest his soul. John said, you just had the worst draft in the history of the NFL. I go, don't you want to give it a few years and the next thing you know, yeah, four the eight picks make the Pro Bowl. So you got to bless you, John GOLs. God bless you. Should let you run that draft class more often. Let's go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you all so much. You've been part of this. I mean, Brian for everything you've done. Ed Ca Hill, like the founders here of the Draft show, but we wouldn't be here if it weren't for you, man, And thank you so much for having the vision, the love and then bringing us along as a mentor to be able to do this.
Speaker 2: Well. No, you guys have done a hell of a job. Has said it after the draft. It's you know, it's funny we've had now it's different classes. People go on and you know, it's kind of like scouting in the real world. You lose scouts along the way you gain scouts. You guys did a hell of the jobs for the put in the work. You have full time jobs too. But the love and the passion you showed for this, the intensity you showed for this, the spirit you have for it. It makes it all worth the while. This is what the Draft show is all about. So thank you guys for all your hard work. Iish as well, sure Kyle Yeoman's Bobby belt and beaming those guys in the back, Derek Gigleton, everybody that gives us this opportunity to talk about these players. It's a special It's a special one that I don't ever take for granted.
Speaker 3: It is Nick's fantastic job to you as well. Man, Thank you all so much that this has been It's been a dream and can't wait to run it back do it again next year. So so we'll wait, we'll put this one to bed, and then we'll come back.
Speaker 2: We'll talk more to draft. We'll be here before you know it.
Speaker 4: I have added the first player to my board, and he's not gonna be the first overall pick, Harold Perkins at LSU.
Speaker 3: There, let's go, let's get early peak, all right, enjoy it, everybody, We love you. Thank you so much until next draft season. Hugs and handpounds everybody.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.