Speaker 1: Welcome to Dirty Rush, The Truth about Sorority Life with your hosts me Gia Judice, Daisy.
Speaker 2: Kent, and Jennifer Kessler.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to another episode of Dirty Rush.
Speaker 2: We are talking about the sicknesses, the dirty diseases that start to spread through the house, the worst. Yes, all right. Next we are going to talk to Mollie Hi. Molly, Hi, Hi. I am almost afraid of what you're bringing to us today.
Speaker 3: Hey, we're hearing so many like crazy horrible stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God, what happened to you, poor Molly?
Speaker 4: Yes, so let me tell you. Okay, So my sophomore year, I was sleeping over at my boyfriend at the Times frat house, and I one time woke up and I was like, oh my gosh, this is so weird. I have like these little spots and I was like itching them, but I didn't really think anything of it, and then I would go back to my sorority house and I'd be fine, and then I remember my friends like pointing at me and being like what is all over like your body, Like you don't look okay, and I was like I feel fine whatever, and then I would end up, you know, sleeping there again, and then these this rash would just like took over my whole body. It was like my face, my whole entire head to toe, and it was extremely itchy, like.
Speaker 2: On their white bad must have been like really into you, because.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, it's like, wow, what is happening? And so I ended up going to the doctor and they were like, it's just like a rash from what you're using, like your soaps and stuff. Yeah, okay. So they were like switch to like a regular one with no scent, and I was like okay, So I did that and there was no improvement. It was like, actually, I'll show you guys a photo just for content.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was pretty insane, Like.
Speaker 3: Oh my, isn't that crazy? Oh it's like how long did you have that? Before they realized what it was? Six months?
Speaker 4: So I literally had that for six months and it was like going to like it was spring rain, so it was like swimsuits and yeah, terrible and horrible. Yeah, And all the doctors could do was like prescribe me creams and stuff and nothing worked. And I was like, this is so weird because when I was like when I would be at the sorority house, it was never like anything crazy and then I would go to his and then I'd wake up and it's like just inflamed head to toe.
Speaker 2: Oh so like clear up completely and then come back.
Speaker 4: So it wouldn't clear up completely, but it would like it would not be like as red when I wasn't there. And then so yeah, I went for six months with that and I would literally really like have to have my roommates like cream me up.
Speaker 3: Like it was that was so much up.
Speaker 4: And then it was summer, so I came home and then I went to the doctor and they were like immediately they were like, oh, this is like caused by black mold. And I was like, oh great. So it was literally a rash from black mold. But for some reason, no one else got any like sickness or no one else like it was just like the way my body reacted. But I had that first six months and it was awful. I would have to wear like socks on my hands to go to sleep because I would literally.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my god, I.
Speaker 4: Don't I know I should have gone home.
Speaker 2: What is black mold? What is it?
Speaker 4: It's like when I think it's like those old houses like frat houses whatever. I don't know. Maybe they just like I don't think they cleaned anything or who knows, but it was disgusting and yeah awful.
Speaker 3: It's like really really bad for you too. It can like it like usually grows in like walls and stuff or like yeah.
Speaker 2: Days, you've heard of it. Do you know anyone that ever had it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, I I just know a lot about it because so I have lime disease and so like mold can really affect people with lime disease. So I just learned about a lot of it. And then it's actually interesting because in college there was a place I lived in and it definitely had so much black mold and I was way sicker when I lived there, so I think that was why. And then I did like a treatment in Germany for my lime disease, and that was like you had to do a whole entire detox because they were like, if there's any black mold like that you've been exposed to.
Speaker 4: But it's crazy totally, And that's like I came home and it honestly like got so much better when I was home, but I had to like go to so many different doctors and like get a yeah situated, I'm better now, thank god, But I do not wish that my worst enemy.
Speaker 2: It was, yeah, well, how do you get rid of the bitch? Is there a medicine for do you just have to like stay away from the mold pretty much, just.
Speaker 4: Like stay away from it and just like eat super clean. And there was just like yeah, different things that I was putting all over my body and it was like a full like detox taking medicines.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and have you been good since?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been completely fine.
Speaker 3: Now, okay good? Yeah, yeah that is crazy. I can't believe for six months months.
Speaker 4: So stay like if you ever hear black mold, like literally run.
Speaker 3: So run say it happens. I feel like a lot in the dorm rooms too. I remember at San Diego State, like one of the dorms I had to completely shut down when I was there because they found black mold in it.
Speaker 4: Wow. Yeah, like super not safe. But yeah, I'm alive now alive.
Speaker 2: And well yeah, you know, we're talking to a lot of girls today and like they got sick and they weren't just sick for like three days. They were sick for a while. And you're in college and trying to manage that is tough, you know, I mean It's one thing when you have you know, your parents or whomever like looking out for you and and but to be just with other girls, it's a lot a lot of like and I'm sure I don't know if you felt this way. Did you feel it all, like not ostracized, because I'm sure these people were your friends totally.
Speaker 4: I mean, like everyone's taking photos it was our spring break, and like everyone's in swimsuits. I almost didn't want to go because I'm like, I'm so insecure. Yeah, or like guys would be like I remember these guys coming up to me and being like what's all over your body? Or like they would be like one guy was like you have bruises and like this rational over your body and I'm like, oh no, like I know that right, Yeah exactly. So it was terrible. But and also like you know, in college, like drinking every weekend is definitely inflaming it even more.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure, not helping. So there was probably just like getting it worse and worse the environment you were in.
Speaker 2: You survived it. That makes you stronger. So yeah, exactly, you go, Yes, Well, thank you so much for sharing so much.
Speaker 3: Okay. Our next caller is Brin hey, Brin, Brin, we learned a little earlier. We talked to another girl about nora virus. Nor virus?
Speaker 6: Did I say right, nora virus?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, okay, and I you have a story about that too, Yes, I do have a story about that. So how when did this happen?
Speaker 1: So this was my junior year of college and basically the way my sorority was set up at least, we all lived in the house sophomore year, okay, and so during rush, all of the sophomores kind of just started dropping like flies, just getting really like grossly sick. I don't know if anyone's ever had nouma virus, but it kind of just hits you, and it's your dad.
Speaker 2: And I are learning a lot about a lot of we are today. Nouma virus sounds like one of the worst ones.
Speaker 4: It's like the.
Speaker 6: Worst twelve hours of your life. I don't know what it's from.
Speaker 1: I've heard a bunch of different things, like bad food, but it's also just super contagious, and so obviously we're all It's also like during rush, so we're like welcoming all these p and m like potential new members into the sorority. And it's such like a small, confined space. It was just it was all psychologically. I started feeling sick. I don't know if I was, but it was just one of those things where I was like, oh, like now I'm so nauseous. The girl that I was standing next to like she drops and gets it.
Speaker 6: It was just terrible.
Speaker 2: Well, while you're standing there, you were feeling it like like at the same month. Wow.
Speaker 1: No, So I would say like it was kind of just where like I knew that the girl that was standing next to me originally had gotten sick, and then in my head I was like, oh my god, now.
Speaker 6: I feel sick. But I would say probably funny.
Speaker 1: People actually had it that we're living in the house, and I think the house holds like sixty five or seventy girls, so that's a third of the people that were.
Speaker 6: Living in there.
Speaker 1: But then also like they're sick, but that's where they live, and we're all still just having to be there for the next three or four days, however longer last.
Speaker 2: It doesn't last.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Our other callers said that she had for like what's like seventy two hours or something. You said like eleven. Maybe just different.
Speaker 1: So I got it separately my senior year, and I had it for like twelve hours, but I didn't feel I didn't feel normal from it for like a week after.
Speaker 6: Wow, it wasn't necessarily sick. I was just super kind of weak and fatigued.
Speaker 3: Yeah. How did recruitment go that year? Then?
Speaker 6: Probably not so good.
Speaker 1: I don't really remember, but I can imagine it was not not the last year.
Speaker 3: Because there are a lot of girls out for it then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so that's kind of one of the things too, is like, I mean it's really not that big of a deal, but we were just like you practice in certain groups and so yeah, it's one girl's out, then that whole group kind of has to be out, so it's like a domino effect of just so many.
Speaker 6: I don't know, it's a lot of bad stuff about her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know who like the first person was to get it.
Speaker 1: I do know who the first person, and she was kind of pretty close friend. So yeah, that's why I also kind of was like, oh, I've been around her a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well at least said years lasted like twelve hours, right, Yeah. We talked to a girl today and hers was like three days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, can you imagine she said you couldn't even eat, there was no Maybe that's why you were also tired for a long time, said she couldn't get anything down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I remember I had it the week before I was graduating, and so there was so many activities and events going on, and so people were kind of coming in and out of my house and I was just kind of sleeping on my couch and like drunk girls were coming in and trying to feed me crackers and ped light and I was like, please, yeah, I can't Yeah, awful.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Is there something else that you got?
Speaker 3: Pink Guy?
Speaker 6: Pink guess there was.
Speaker 1: So I was in one sorty and I was very close friends with a lot of girls in another sorority.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this was.
Speaker 1: My sophomore year, so I spent a lot of I probably honestly spent more time at this other sorority than my own at times.
Speaker 6: And I would say probably half the house got.
Speaker 1: Pink Guy at one point. It was just one of those things where you couldn't escape it. And then like girls were just putting eye drops and trying to like hide it, and they were going out and yeah, it was it was not It was not a good situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah yuck.
Speaker 2: I know, like seriously days and I have like the heavy GB's over here and it's it's not from you, it's I have.
Speaker 6: I have evy GB's for myself.
Speaker 1: Like I look back and it wasn't even that long ago, and just like thinking about the things that I did and was okay with like I had it and I was I was like, no, it's fine, Like I'm just going to go out.
Speaker 6: No one will know, and I can back on photos.
Speaker 1: Of myself and it's so obvious and it's so gross, and I just wish, I like, because now I don't I could stay in if I don't feel or whatever, but for some reason, sophomore year, I just had to be at everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just like the college life.
Speaker 2: Ever say exactly, Oh my god. So advice for our listeners would be so out think I.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let yourself give yourself twenty four hours to get right, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even though you want to go out. Yeah yeah, Well thank you so much for coming on Brin.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, So now our producer is joining us with her horror story.
Speaker 5: Hello is Amy, Hi you guys? Well mine is not It's so bad, right, I was thinking back. I don't remember neurovirus, Like, I don't remember even ever vomiting when I was at Kappa.
Speaker 3: You've heard some crazy stories today.
Speaker 5: I don't remember catching a cold, like, I don't remember any of that, Like even between us girls, like I don't.
Speaker 2: Even remember like having diarrhea.
Speaker 5: Or something like that.
Speaker 2: Because you don't have us for diarrhea. You have no idea what we've been through.
Speaker 5: Well, I will tell you guys about two things. The gift, the gifts that keep on giving because they are still giving today. So you know how everyone wore shower shoes, do you guys shower shoes?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 5: So I wasn't like a huge fan of shower shoes because looking back on it now, I could have just done like flip flops. But everyone was wearing those blue Adidas with the white stripes kind of has their shower shoes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was like, this is just getting soggy, and they kind of have like it's not fabric, but there's sort of like a little material where they weren't all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's almost like feemy right, yes, and it would just be soggy and soppy, and I just was like, my feet, I'm very like particular about like I really like the process of.
Speaker 5: Like scrubbing my feet. Right, let me tell you what happened. So all my years at Kappa, I'd never wore shower shoes, and right around the time I was graduating, I noticed this tiny, tiny white dot on the bottom of my foot and it was pretty small, like maybe the size of like an eraser head. So I'm like, it's not a wart, Like what is that? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I mean.
Speaker 5: You're like young, So I just kind of was like whatever and would just sort of ignore it. I went on and this thing, I think I even went to get it like frozen off, and it came back to the size of even erasers maybe ten. It looks like on your foot. On the bottom of my foot, it looks like it just looked like cauliflower.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: I could walk and I could do everything fine, but it was so gross. And then I was sort of paranoid because you know, like you can spread warts to yourself, so like say, you, like, I don't know, touch that gross thing on your foot, and then you touch it can get on your hand. So I just was like, oh my god. And all of a sudden, ten is ten years later, So now I'm like in my thirties and this thing is still there, and I was Now, I was like, I got to figure out how to get rid of this.
Speaker 3: It's still there.
Speaker 5: No, now I'm thinking now, Daisy, no, but thank you for thinking I was thirty. My god. So finally, after trying all these different things, I finally got lucky and found some sort of droppy thing and it finally went away.
Speaker 2: So my first well, listen, it's gross. But we were talking about General's herpes, so I mean, and that's not that's a gift that keeps on giving too, it.
Speaker 5: Really does it. That seems like something that didn't spread within the sorority.
Speaker 2: Well the mouth herpies did though, right right?
Speaker 5: Because wow? Okay. So then the other one I think that I got from Kappa or from like having to share a shower of my brother when I was a kid. Athletes foot mine are all founding feet. I think the showers at Kappa were like a breeding ground for like a fungus among us type of thing. Now, if I go near any kind of athletes foot anything, immediately I have it.
Speaker 3: You'll get it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, uh yeah? Is it? Is it a? Is it a? It's like a mold.
Speaker 5: Right, it's like a fungus. It's a fus.
Speaker 2: I've had it for sure, discussing like, yeah, so these are my two gross things.
Speaker 5: And I'm telling you, for years, I would way too embarrassed to talk about either these things. Now I'm like whatever, athletes, but this is the least of my problems.
Speaker 2: But yeah, listen, ladies listening wear shower shoes literally.
Speaker 5: Or you know those things like you know, I don't know if they're called, but they're almost like water socks. They are like you flip them around your feet. They're like socks practically, but they sort of have soles. You don't ever wear those, like if you're going in there. Yeah, water shoes. I think they're called.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, yeah, yeah, Okay, I feel like you can. They're just like pats.
Speaker 5: But you have to be such a good balancer because it's like you still got to like scrub your feet. Oh like stand on one leg, scrub your foot, put it down. I don't know, wait, what else did people have?
Speaker 2: This is like oh god, well yeah, what about hand butt in mouth?
Speaker 5: That one's going around.
Speaker 3: Bad yepund the worst.
Speaker 5: Aarama a barcarama. No, someone I know fled their sorority this week. I won't name who, but I got a call and they're like, I'm sleeing because there was hand button mouth smart.
Speaker 2: It sounds like that's probably smart.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't think I ever threw up all of colon.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's that's something to be said for that. Yeah, that's a miracle, even from.
Speaker 5: Right, not even from what. I never had any alcohol in my life, so I've never had that.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry the time, I just missed that whole thing. What did you just say.
Speaker 5: I've never had a sip of alcohol. I've never had a cigarette. I've never smoke coffee. I mean smoked coffee. I've never had coffee. I've never smoked a cigarette. I've never done drugs.
Speaker 1: Nothing.
Speaker 2: Amy. Maybe I always take of you in Kappa and like sorority girl.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I really think that you would be like haze. But no, nothing.
Speaker 3: Wow, not even like a glass of wine.
Speaker 5: Nothing, No, No, I smelled its. Hey, it's just for me. It's it feels like I'm drinking a nail pulsh remover. I like smelled it. I'm like, oh my god, how do people drink that? And one time, one time I was getting like a cranberry juice and the bartender actually accidentally put vodka in it. It burned my throat out. I don't know how you guys drink that curly. I felt like I swallowed fire. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Wow, what else about you guys?
Speaker 5: Did you guys have diarrhea?
Speaker 2: No? I was a hypochondriac. Like I was so nervous all the time, Like I would get by a headache in my mind still to this day, if I have a headache, it's a tumor, if you know, it's like I have, and if people around me are getting sick, like I don't even like to hear about sometimes the symptoms of things. But I was so like almost paralyzed with like hypochondria and sometimes those things, like you know, mental illnesses, they can start around that age.
Speaker 5: Like you twenty, I learned I had anxiety. I definitely had a doctor like tell me I had to breathe into a brown paper bag. Yeah, yeah, that was when I first did that. And my friend, my capa roommate, was like, remember the bag, Like I would just get this like lunch back and just like breathing. Yeah, like yeah, like the nineties version of meditation yeah. Yeah, you get tons of anxiety when you see on People magazine, those like clickbait like this lady died from eating crab.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do, I get really, I And but it used to it was different because you know, in my twenties, like you, nobody usually prescribing anything. I mean, I had it. It was it was very difficult. And then I got a little older and I was introduced to prozac and you know now and then I could because it used to really like it would paralyze me. The fear would just paralyze.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think I think it's maybe we'll do an episode about that. But like when because a lot of stuff, mental stuff hits.
Speaker 5: Interesting saying that, because I'm thinking about the sorority, right, say, there was like I don't know one hundred girls that live there. I would, if I was a gambling woman, would say sixty. Yeah, I had some kind of anxiety.
Speaker 3: So for sure. And I feel like college just like amplifies that to you, right, And I don't.
Speaker 5: Know it's living in the sorority eases it in some ways, it probably exasperates it. Sorry for my good word to exacerbate you. Also, yeah, because it's conducive to like, when you're anxious, you kind of have support. Yeah, I think all that is just sort of like breed some anxiety.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure, even you know, to be surrounded by people, but it feels very alienating. And I would think, like, you know, I had it. I did have it at that age. And I'm trying to remember in living in the sorority house and feeling like a crazy person. So you know, not baby being able to share it as much as you know, I'd like to, but.
Speaker 5: I have to remember crying over boys then, and literally for me to cry over a boy now, wow, it would have to be extreme, Like I feel like funny, like a boy is sort of mean to you or dumpy and you just cry for weeks.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure. It's just so much more amplified.
Speaker 5: I feel like totally I look back now and I'm like, why did I care about that school?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're talking with Emma because Emma, I had my daughter on the on the last episodes. Yeah, boyfriend just broke up. They were together for a year. I mean, I I can't seem to like get her to snap out of it. It's just horrible and.
Speaker 5: And this is the thing. You tell her this is going to not bother you. You will not know this when I look back and I'm like, what was that dude's name. I probably cried over that guy for a month. Yeah, and I'm like, or I see him now at a cow game and I'm like what. I'm just like, oh, brutal, you know, Like right, I do say that. That's a whole That's definitely a thing we need to do an episode on, because when you're in it, you're like, it's so dramatic, and now looking back, I'm like, oh my god, if I married that guy, it would be.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, the whole year she went out with him, I was like, you cannot marry him, but it isn't. It's and she knew she wasn't gonna end up with him, but it's still she's crushed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I want to help her, and the problem is nothing you say help.
Speaker 3: I know you like.
Speaker 5: Everything, it doesn't look at Daisy. She had her guy, they broke up, and now they're getting married.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you guys woke up and then got back together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we dated in college for like a little bit and then we Yeah.
Speaker 5: She went on this little show called The bachelor.
Speaker 3: She just needs to go on the back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know something, she would she probably love it.
Speaker 3: Had I had so much fun. I had like the time of my life. It was such a good experience for me, I think, child.
Speaker 5: I have a question for Daisy. Yeah, give me a comparison. Sorority, How similar is it to living in the mansion with all the girls?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I will say it was like the most thing, like closest probably to a sorority that I've been Like, yeah, just because even like the whole time you're talking to girls, like it felt like recruitment because you're like asking them questions, trying to get to know them, trying to catch people's vibe. And then yeah, and it's even crazy because like I remember in college, if there was like a guy and then like a few girls would be into him and they would want him like even more, and I like exactly what it was. It was just like them putting a guy in this situation and then if someone wanted him, then like the other girl wanted him to it was like who.
Speaker 5: Was your your guy?
Speaker 4: Again?
Speaker 5: I don't know why I slipped my mouth, Olton, No, who's your guy?
Speaker 3: On my on the season I was on, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh it was Joey. Actually, I'm gonna say, Joe's pretty. He's a catch, So I get why all the girls were freaking out. But yeah, that's where I'm like, why are they fighting over this guy? Yeah, they're all crying over this absolute Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to watch this next like season is see how it works out with totally.
Speaker 5: I think it's going to be kind of iconic. But anyway, back to the diarrhea. Yeah, you know, I don't ever recall getting food poisoning, so tip of the hat to our chift. I don't ever remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the calls that we're talking to you said that when she got neurovirus that she thought it was food poisoning because their chef was known for undercooking chicken too. To undercook the chicken before you say bye bye.
Speaker 5: No, I just got the planner's work gift.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: I look back at the things I could eat too, Like I could just go to Blondie's pizza get the greasiest I mean, I'm telling you, if you put a napkin on top of it, it would stop up so much fat and I could just eat that and go on with my day, like I'd had just yeah, a fruits moothe like I was just cruising. I don't know, I missed that the most. Yeah, but anyway, I love diarrhea talk so fun, good stuff. Maybe we all wash our.
Speaker 2: There's a lesson for you girls. All right, guys, that was fun. It was fun, fun and changing, I guess. I mean lots of memories. Daisy. I think you probably meningitis. If I had to pick one, that would not be the one I would pick. You do not want any of these, but but I feel like that would be the scariest.
Speaker 3: I also think like Herbie's having to live with that.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, also that would also suck. Any of them would suck. It's degrees of suckiness. But yeah, but listen, listeners were glad that we could share all this with you. Educate you all, Yes, use use protection and wear shower shoes. Yes, thanks for listening, guys,