Speaker 1: I'm Sorry's Maxie and you're listening to the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast.
Speaker 2: This podcast is part of the seventy six Ers podcast network, presented by Stern and Cohen Law.
Speaker 3: Search seventy six Ers Insiders wherever you get your podcasts. Suffering an injury at work can cause physical pain, but also great uncertainty about your rights. You need to retain a worker's compensation law firm that is a winner like our sixers, a firm that gets some of the best settlements, but is also willing to go toe to toe with the insurance company. No settling on the cheap. This is Philly. We have grit and fight in us. Call the workers Compensation Law Firm of Stern and Cohen or visit their site Sterncohenlaw dot com. The consultation is free. Stern and Cohen are the official partners of the seventy six Ers. They'll go ring the insurance company's bell.
Speaker 2: Postgame show presented by Park's Casino Fact Oh Baby to beat on the back Down. I Guess weapon on your Powers Pet Slabs of the seventy Sixers postgame show right now on ninety seven to five. The Fanatic We're back here at Crypto dot Com Arena. This is our postgame coverage presented by Parks Casino. Sixers fall and in the end a ten point loss to the Lakers. Final LA one hundred and sixteen six Ers one oh six. A lot of good things for the Sixers, but they were outshot in this game, as they shot forty percent the Lakers shot fifty two percent. In the end, five more field goals for Los Angeles, three of which were threes, and that spelled the difference at six one sixteen one oh six. Victory for the Lakers. Sixers leed in scoring by Jared McCain with eighteen. Drummond and Yabaselli had fourteen. Most of Gershaw's points game in the first half. He made a big three at the end of the first half, and for the Sixers, Paul George had nine points, four of thirteen. He played just under twenty five minutes. And so the Sixers go zero to three on the road trip, and they come back to Philadelphia for three straight home games starting Sunday with the Charlotte Hornets and the Sixers sporting the record now of one to seven on the season. They lose for the fourth time on the road. So Tom McGinnis and again our thanks to Mike Noto, excellent job. We await Nick Nurse. Thanks to Matt Mnerick and Brendan Petrelli as well. Matt Murphy is alongside Murph. Will let you pick up the postgame coverage. Looks like you'll have coach pretty soon. But tough one. Here Lebron brilliant triple double, one hundred and fourteenth of his career, Anthony Davis really good thirty one points, and Austin Reeves with twenty making six threes. Here is Matt Murphy the pride and fort them.
Speaker 3: I think Paul George is a good place for us to pick up and remind people that the minutes is something that Nick Nurse has talked about. So he ends with just under twenty five minutes played because he's working back from that left knee bone bruise. Nine points but eight assists, zero turnovers, So this is something where it's going from a shooting performance he could be pleased with to a passing performance kind of alternating. He's had some turnover troubles tonight was not one of them, so you can certainly build off that. But the shot wasn't falling. And that's something coach Nurse told me yesterday, is that he hasn't had it all together yet. And that's somewhat to be expected though, right because he missed so much time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good point, and good point about the assists, and some of those assists early on were to Caleb Martin and not to quickly jump off Paul George. But I thought that for Martin this was his best game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he ends three for four from three. I know much has been made about like some of what it looks like like his shot form, but three for four doesn't lie. As we still here comes coach Nick Nurse too, for his post game comments, and we'll carry them live right now on our Parks Casino post game show. We'll probably pick it up with the first question here here.
Speaker 4: We go, you know, just trying to avoid the five minute droughts offensively that have kind of played you all year in your I think your net rating is a negative nineteen in the third quarter, and it's kind of the same story tonight. What did what did you see in that those five to eight minutes?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think that a couple of things is we do have to come out with a little bit more punch to start the third, and I'm just a little afraid again that it's it's kind of shutting the engines down at halftime and not getting them going again soon enough in the third a little bit and again we got we we have some plays there, and it just seems like we we don't make them, or we go through a drought from three as well, I thought we were making some pretty good decisions and getting some you know, kick out catch and shoot threes and a few that we didn't hit, and a few things at the rim that we didn't finish. Wasn't There was not a turnover problem tonight. That was you know, that wasn't the issue that we weren't getting you know, getting some kind of shot or getting some decent shots. We just again just a little too low percentage to hang in there.
Speaker 6: Nick, you made a bunch of changes thirritation. One of them was you went with Jared a whole lot. You didn't use Eric tonight.
Speaker 7: I guess what went into that decision in particular.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just I just wanted to keep you know, first of all, I wanted to give jareded a good look. I kind of thought early that that we needed to try to balance some of our energy guys, you know, with some of the veteran guys. That was that was part of it. I think again, you can get you get him in there, he gives you, he gives you a little better spacing threat than having kind of too slashing wings at the same time. And then you know, we we kind of do that along with Gerzana kind of we bring two shooters in, you know, together just again to give our offense some room to breathe a little bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you you open the fourth quarter I think with Jared and then three wings in a big Is that a configuration you'd be willing to try? Like you've talked about one in Kyle maybe around eighteen to twenty he played thirty two and led the team with Tyres out is Jared as you're I don't know about primary ball handler if you have PG out there, but.
Speaker 7: Just yeah, I mean that sort of role.
Speaker 6: Is that something you'd consider doing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I'll tell you why we did it tonight. I thought we I thought, you know, Kyle was playing a lot. You know, we gave Reggie some minutes there. We were just trying to figure out another way to get you know, keep some shooting out there. We kind of let PG handle the ball and we're running some you know stuff for other people. But he was he was involved in some combo actions where you'd get to come off this green and roll and stuff like that. I mean, it's kind of it's kind of looking at it and saying, what can we do to to play a little bit better and keep keep keep some guys out there and not necessarily go with go with a traditional lineup and just see if it works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh, just what did you think of PG tonight?
Speaker 5: Well, he obviously had a tough night, right, I thought. I thought he got some decent looks. I thought he had some drives. I thought he got bumped around quite a bit. I don't I don't know if he shot a free throw, he shot two free throws. I thought he I thought I thought he could have probably got to the line a few more times. Uh. There, you know, pass the ball pretty good. Again, I think I think he does. He does still create offense for other people, right, but again, I think he's still a little rusty. I think he'd probably say that himself.
Speaker 8: Nick, what was your decision for not using air tonight. Was it his past struggles the last two games? So you just saw something with the Lakers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I just I just, uh, you know, wanted to balance some energy out there tonight. I think again that that you know, we got some veteran guys and sometimes you got it, we got to mix in some some kind of youthful and you know, enthusiasm or whatever, and just just you know, gave Jared a shot and he came in and he kind of impacted the game, and then we decided to let him ride it out and then went back to him in the second half.
Speaker 4: But not not that.
Speaker 5: Won't be you know, a permanent thing or anything. It just you know, just trying to shake it up this a little bit.
Speaker 8: And I'm sorry if somebody already asked this, but it just seems like three point defense. It just seems like you guys are struggling to get stops in that area. What can you attribute that to?
Speaker 5: Well, tonight, it's tough because Lebron's drawing a lot of attention and then throw one hundred miles an hour fastballs out to those guys. Right, It's always it's always a little bit more of a challenge with him in the game because he's gonna, you know, just kind of bulldoze his way to the rim if you don't try to get some bodies in front of him, and then you got to you gotta be in to stop that and you gotta get back out. I mean, they had a really good shooting night of some guys that hadn't been shooting that well this year made a few too. But you're right, it was it was tough to keep up on the scoreboard because they were shooting it so well from three.
Speaker 1: Uh, just what did you think of Gershaun tonight? I mean, he's had a pretty solid road trip. This kind of seems like he's continuing to get really more comfortable within the offense and everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's played pretty good almost in every game, right and he's finding he's finding enough perimeter shots and making enough Again, he doesn't make a ton of mistakes, which is huge for us right now. Right again, he's he's gonna get the ball to somebody if he's you know, in the offense to keep the offense moving, he'll he'll play really hard. But he's he's been good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And when when Joelle does come back, I mean, do you see obviously right now he's playing the five because of the loss and everything, But when Joel comes back, do you see like maybe a role for Gersh within the world at the four or elsewhere four?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would imagine you play alongside of Joel. Yeah, yeah, I saw.
Speaker 9: Kind of like after a call on against you guys on the foul and then Paul George kind of weaving his hand off at the rev feels like helpless, Like what do you think about the call?
Speaker 5: Well, Paul had a big cut on his arm that was blood coming out of it, so he was pretty upset that he didn't get a call on that one. That's what that was about. Thanks, Yeah, thanks a lot.
Speaker 3: Head coach Nick Nurse on the seventy six Ers postgame show presented by Parks Casino here at Crypto dot Com Arena in Los Angeles. The final score the Lakers won sixteen, the Sixers one oh six. Matt Murphy and Tom McGinness overlooking the court. Andre Drummond is practicing his free throws. The team shot just fifteen of twenty three from the foul line sixty five percent. Again last year, they were eighty three per second best in the NBA, the team, the roster is.
Speaker 7: Is much different.
Speaker 3: That was not you know, the biggest reason for the loss, but it was a ten point loss. They missed eight free throws. Drummond is out there on the court, on the Lakers home court, and Tom a lot was covered there. One of the things eric being mentioned. Eric Gordon did not play. That's a coach's decision. Tyrese Maxi didn't play because of the hamstring injury. Joel Embiid didn't play. He has yet to play this season, and the Sixers are are one and seven. But one of the subplots was connect versus McCain, and McCain ends up leading the Sixers in scoring with eighteen points, four for nine from three. I feel like this is becoming a routine question on the Parks Casino post game show, But what'd you think about Jared McCain.
Speaker 2: I thought he played well, you know, like he's gonna and I don't know that he's put it all together, which you can understand, you know, like he's had some nice drives and then he's aggressive, you know, like in fact, and you like that. I think he you know, like if he evolves into more of a point guard because that's why he's coming in as a point. He might even dial that back a little bit just to find others. But look, the Sixers need offense and he comes in and you know, he didn't shoot it particularly well. But again, and I've made this comment, but you know, he's known as a shooter, and yet he gets by people right. He seems like he's forever getting into the lane with those twisting right hand reverses. So you know, I think he's going to be a really contributing player. And that's I think why he played tonight. Like you know, as a coach, I'm sure coach talks to Eric Gordon and explains, but you know, like you got to make decisions. It's not easy, and that's tonight, And I don't know that Eric Gordon would have made a huge difference in the game. So why not let Jared McCain get out there. And like I was saying pregame when we talked about the combo, like something may evolve during the game that you know forces coach or at least gives coach and idea like to go with one of those players. And maybe it might be doubting a little bit more. But it was Jared McCain tonight because he played well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't have to go down the list if they were all going to get a chance. If McCain's running with it in that particular game. It kind of feels like what happened tonight because Nurse did say Doubton was going to be a part of it, but he didn't really get in till till this one was already decided. It was too much Lebron, too much Anthony Davis. And we leave you with this about how the schedule doesn't get much easier. I know it's Charlotte on Sunday, but then you have the Knicks who just beat you in the playoffs. Big win for them over the I know the Bucks are struggling, but they have Karl Anthony towns Now and it's a back to back with Cleveland who went to ten and oh today, So what's next.
Speaker 7: For these six? The Cup game?
Speaker 2: The fact that Tuesday against the Knicks, Yeah like that that, you know, the Cup, it's amazing, like everyone including the players, like I don't understand it. What like automatically that becomes like a big game and.
Speaker 7: The court will be blue this year instead of red.
Speaker 2: In Philadelphia, coach was saying somewhat in just not totally, that the court didn't serve him well last year. But you know, so and you're doing it without, you know, your whole squad, and that Maxie will be out and for Joel, it'd be great to see him out there, but it's also just his first game. Uh, so it'll be it'll be a tough game in Charlotte, you know. I know when I was in there with coach, he had you know, a game on and just in the office where there was multiple TVs. He's like, man, Charlotte is playing well.
Speaker 3: So they've got LaMelo ball back and going with Brandon Miller. They won by twenty against Indiana.
Speaker 2: Isn't that something? Yeah?
Speaker 7: And Detroit next three right there?
Speaker 2: You know, like that loss to Detroit's lose to Well, they won again, so yeah, and then Cleveland looks like they're I mean, this is the best start they've ever had. It's amazing.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, I think the difference there is Kenny Atkinson and they really played well. Everyone's talking about how well Mobley's playing. So that'll be tough. Yeah, three games and four nights, you know, and you're gonna be missing Maxie. So yep, difficult. No rest for the weary, you know, to for the Sixers. They they're playing well in much of the games, but again they just when you're undermanned a little bit, that's what happens. And the full forty eight was one of the keys and it wasn't That didn't happen tonight. They missed out And like I said, if you were going to narrow it down that eight to zero run at the end of the first half in a game you lose by ten, you could almost you know, focus in on.
Speaker 7: That Sixers coming home Tom againness, thank you sir.
Speaker 2: All right, well travel see you.
Speaker 3: Lakers won sixteen six ers one oh six mentioned Lebron and Anthony Davis. They end up Lebron the triple double with twenty one, twelve and a game high thirteen assist. Anthony Davis was the leading scorer in the game with thirty one. He had twenty two in the first half. Big first half for Austin Reeves, who scored seventeen of what would be his twenty points for the game. McCain with eighteen. Gershawn had eleven of his fourteen in the first half, Drummond, who he mentioned is still out here. Fourteen point twelve rebound double double for him with three steals, no Maxi, no m feed, and the Sixers fall to Lebron Anthony Davis and the Lakers in LA. Will have the audio highlights and look through the box score some key stats to note team wise and individualise on the other side, when we continue with our Parks Casino postgame show. Game without Maxi because of the hamstring injury that took him out of the fourth quarter, well the whole fourth quarter Wednesday at the Into It Dome against the Clippers, coupled with the continued absence of Joel Embiid, the Sixers fall in downtown Los Angeles to the Lakers one sixteen to one oh six. The Lakers are five and four, the Sixers are one in seven. They've lost five straight and that Indiana win was two weeks ago. This coming Sunday, so they have an unsuccessful road trip to Phoenix and LA losing to the Suns, Clippers, and Lakers. This is our Parks Casino postgame show Matt Murphy again. The game highs Anthony Davis thirty one for Los Angeles, twelve rebounds, was the game high drummond for Philly Lebron for the Lakers, and he had a game highest assists twise with thirteen in a triple double effort twenty one points, twelve rebounds, thirteen assists for Lebron, James JJ Reddick coaching the Lakers to a ten point victory Leaedbind Davis James, and Austin Reeves. D'Angelo Russell came off the bench in this one after typically starting. He had eighteen That was a team high for Jared McCain on the sixer side, eighteen points off the bench in almost well thirty minutes and thirty one seconds on six of seventeen, shooting four of nine from three, two for two at the line. Before the audio highlights, as this game was called by Tom mcguinnis before we get into those, I would identify the status of the game. You heard in the last set, Nick Nurse talked about how it might not have been a crazy turnover game where you look at that because they only had eight. So that we've talked a lot about points off turnovers, how many are giving up, how many are scoring after forcing turnovers, after turning it over yourself, that transition was a theme an area of focus for both of these teams, particularly transition defense coming into the game, but that's not where we're going with the stats. To know what I'd say it's block shots is something interesting. Thirteen for the Lakers would be the stat of the game. Two guys had four blocks each. Jackson Hayes had four, Anthony Davis had four, and Lebron James had three blocks. The Sixers blocked only four shots. They did have six steals to the Lakers one steal. But let's get into how it sounded, as called by the aforementioned Tom McGinnis, the Sixers and the Lakers in downtown Los Angeles, and it was a big first quarter for Anthony Davis, who didn't play in their loss on Wednesday at Memphis. Again, this is a Lakers team that came in losing four of their last five games after starting the season three to oher Kyle Lowry started for the Sixers in place of the injured Maxie cam Reddish from Norristown started for the Lakers in place of DiAngelo Russell. No embiid no Maxi for the Sixers, but ad came back for the Lakers. He came in leading the NBA and scoring and at thirty two points six points per game, and he had a massive first quarter including this layup.
Speaker 2: Late said Hayes is on they have the ball, Lakers ab down load kJ Martin deflexi but then ant that he gave us games and back and puts it in Davis with a league high thirty two points per game with a hot start ear.
Speaker 3: Thirty one to twenty four in favor of Davis and the Lakers. He ended the first quarter with fifteen points and the Lakers led after one thirty six to twenty nine. In between the first and the second, they honored the World Series champion LA Dodgers here and the Sixers built some momentu in the second quarter behind the bench, a big night for McCain, Yaboselli and the Sixers bench. Jared McCain, who is from California, he found the range, he found his footing in this second quarter and he provided a big lift the first of his threes.
Speaker 7: Six Ers go to Jared McCain.
Speaker 2: McCain attacking in on RUI back out top foo bray five on the clock, oobray to Jared McCain, catch it, shoot three, got it. People love the fact that he doesn't dip on his three. That was the case there. He caught it right there and shot it on the right wing Jared McCain, making it forty two thirty six.
Speaker 3: Sixers shipping away McCain on the eighteen point night, six of seventeen, shooting four for nine from three, two for two at the line in those thirty minutes plus that he played, chipping away because the first quarter deficit was as large as thirteen. They're cutting it to six. They got even closer. You might remember the Olympic dunk for Gershaw Yabaseel of Team Franz on Lebron James of Team USA, and he had another emphatic dunk tonight here in Los Angeles, cutting it to a one point game.
Speaker 2: Austin reeves with the ball, reeves around a James screen, Lebron one hand past Kyle Steals and it's loose.
Speaker 7: It's better.
Speaker 2: The heead to George three on one, Sixers on the move, the yapusle yabo bab he French jam. The Sixers get the stuff and it's a one point game. The Lakers cough it up and the Sixers with a diving gutty play by Kyle Lowry had Yabusele hammers it in at the other end six forty to go, Jay Jay Reddick takes time for Ellie.
Speaker 3: Part of a seventeen to seven Sixers run. The bench had twenty nine first half points. Yabustelli scored eleven of his fourteen points tonight in the first half alone. He ends five of six, three for four and one for two in twenty three plus minutes for the Sixers, who trailed the Lakers forty seven forty six, skipping ahead towards the end of the first half. This was an important sequence because the Sixers took their first lead of the game at fifty nine to fifty seven on a drum and layup. Then it was tied, and then the Lakers closed on an eight to zero run heading into the locker room. And it started with a Lebron James and one seven points seven boards for him. He made one out of two. Here's Lebron banks in kJ Martin and makes it. Lebron comes off with speed off the top of the arc screen and gets just inside the right elbow, but a thirteen footer collides to kJ Martin and boy, it's hard to be ready. You got by Kelly Ubre and you really have to be moving their feet and be in good position. And kJ Martin bumps into Lebron. Lebron going to the line for which could be a three point play, and it is on his triple double night with twenty one points, Lebron nine to fourteen from the field in almost thirty four minutes. He went two for four from three. That was his only free throw, twenty one to twelve and thirteen. It wasn't just Lebron James though, and the first half. Austin Reeves went five for six from three in the first half of this game, and he had the final bucket of the second quarter for Los Angeles outlet James.
Speaker 2: Lebron right down the middle of the court to Reeves right side, three ball got it. Austin Reeves on fire from beyond, five of six eight assists for Lebron, and that that trio right there has dide a terrific job for Reddick and the Lakers. And now they're up by eight. How about that sixty eight to sixty What a run.
Speaker 3: Twenty point night for Reeves, six for ten from three to eight point Lakers flurry to end the first half put them up sixty eight sixty at halftime over the Sixers, and in the second half the Sixers did not shoot the ball well. In the third quarter. kJ Martin played a nice role tonight. Here's a defensive play when in a quarter that they did struggle from the field, Dalton Connect struggled to get things going for the Lakers their first round pick and he drove in on kJ Martin.
Speaker 2: Lakers ball a half court. Will Chamberlain played on both these franchises. Connect block by kJ Martin. What to play defensively, Jared McCain block by and to the Davis oh Man man, the crowd loving that, here's Connect and again kJ Martin deflex that out about So Martin blocked a dunk attempt by Connect and the other end, Jared McCain thought he had a layup and Anthony Davis rubbed that thing out from behind. He did a great job hustling on the play.
Speaker 3: Right Davis returning the favor. The Rookies had their shots blocked in an eighty four to sixty nine game. kJ Martin not just the defense. He ends with eleven points in seventeen minutes for the Sixers. His dad, Kenyan Martin Sr. Was court signed, enjoying that block and enjoying his three that he hit from the corner very early in this game, eleven points. Another nice night off the bench for kJ Martin, but the Sixers were down fifteen there and then the Lakers would tack on. Lebron was facilitating, as evidenced by the game high thirteen assist, and Russell off the bench ends up with eighteen points tonight, Lebron swinging it to D'Angelo Russell.
Speaker 2: Man, here comes James. He stopped another behind the back pass the Angelo Russell for three, and it's good. What to play by Lebron, And that's.
Speaker 7: Up and good.
Speaker 3: Ninety six eighty one after three quarters, Lakers over the Sixers. Fourth quarter, the call of Lebron's triple.
Speaker 2: Double, Lebron with it nipty dribble move out top between the rings, goes in on Rickey Council backing would have been a twenty gone by, still backing, turning up, baked up and under bake it in. He brought Ricky Council to a clinic right there. Lebron, James scores and King now seven of eleven for all the Lakers, the all time lead scored in the history of the NBA. Ag Lebron with sixteen points of the game. Your's council for the three.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 2: Lebron now with a triple double as he corners his eleven three bound.
Speaker 3: One hundred and fourteenth triple double of Lebron's career is second of the season, his sixth against Philadelphia. He has nine against Sacramento, seven against Denver and the Knicks, and now six against the Sixers and the Pistons, triple double wise in his career. In a clutch three from Lebron, he wasn't done yet, Drummond would answer, but just a dagger type shot early in the fourth quarter from Lebron, James.
Speaker 2: And Lebron with a ball James out top three ball on Drumming. Bang, It's got another big play by the Gang. What a shot over Drumming and the Sixers once again down seventeen years Drumming bob by Rui but then plays through contact out of the perimeter feed by Caleb Martin and Andre Drumming going to the line for what could be it might be a three point play.
Speaker 3: But the Lakers do in between. Actually they had that. We want Bronni chance here at Crypto dot Com arena. Lebron's twenty year old son did come on, didn't score in the final couple minutes in Lakers win this one one sixteen, one oh six Los Angeles. Lakers shoot fifty two percent overall, forty six percent from three, eighty six percent from the line to the Sixers forty one percent shooting thirty three from three and sixty five at the line. This has been the seventy six Ers postgame show presented by Parks Casino. The final score Los Angeles won sixteen at home Philadelphia, one oh six. Thanks to our engineer Mike Noto, producers Matt Manarik and Brendan Petrilli, and of course Tom McGinness on the call. The next Sixers game is Sunday night, back home against the Charlotte Hornets, seven pm Eastern, and our coverage here on the Sixers Radio Network presented by Jackpot City Casino, will begin at six point fifty Eastern. Until then, Matt Murphy saying so long, thanks so much for listening, have a great weekend and take care