Speaker 1: Native Lamb Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody. I am happy to be here with you all today. This is my second solo pod with Native Lampod and as we say normally, with my co hosts who aren't with me of course, because it's a solo pod, Tiffany Cross and Andrew Gillum shout out to tiff is her birthday week. Welcome home, y'all. So today we are getting back into it. Last week, as you all know, we covered the federal funding freeze, and this week I want to talk about President Elon Musk. There are gonna be a couple of these in this series. I think next we're going to talk about Steven Miller, who is the Deputy chief of Staff for Policy at the White House. But today I think it's really really important for us to dive into the role that Elon Musk is playing in the federal government, the fact that it is very much outside, perhaps illegal, and he is waiting in the water, maybe drowning in the water, with conflicts of interest. So we're going to get into that, I think first and foremost what I really want to talk about. Actually, before I get into anything, let me offer this disclaimer, because what we know about this White House and the Trump administration is they are highly litigious. So to cover my home behind iHeart and reason choice media, let me say this. I am acknowledging that they are very litigious. That what I'm going to talk about today is going to infuriate some associated with the federal government. Whether they are contractors, Elon Musk acolytes, Trump acolytes, fans, MAGA protesters, or anything else, the fact that remains that they are litigious. So I want you to ensure I want to ensure that you know the sources. I will cite the sources as much as I can. I will do my best to say what is alleged. I will let you know what is a theory and what is my inner holy ghost, the black woman's discernment, and let you know that it is just.
Speaker 2: That a theory.
Speaker 1: And then I will also be sure as always to let you know what is a fact, because facts matter in a day and age where they could not convince us more that they do not.
Speaker 2: They matter.
Speaker 1: And I will also make sure that I am diligent about this because.
Speaker 2: I think that these are Donald Trump's puppet masters.
Speaker 1: Starting of course, with Elon Musk, I said, I think that means it's a theory. So one of the things that we will also continue to go back to is Project twenty twenty five. In Project twenty twenty five, efficiency or inefficiency is mentioned at least sixty times in that document. So it's no wonder that the Trump administration is working diligently to come up with something that makes government more efficient. In fact, they created an agency, because you know, Republicans are apparently about big government these days, they added a new agency. That agency is called the Department of Government Efficiency, because the best way to make government more efficient is to add another agency. I'm just kidding if you can't tell. So the other thing that I think we should talk about is who Donald Trump and Elon were, where their relationship originated, and how we got to this very treacherous place. So on July thirteenth, twenty twenty four, Elon Musk went to the platform that he purchased formally known as Twitter to endorse Donald Trump. Since then, the evil brother to True Social has seemingly suppressed the content of its most progressive users, and has amplified content that is relate to, related to and bolsters the once banned President Donald Trump. So let's talk briefly about who Elon Musk is. So he is a South African born entrepreneur. He is believed to be the richest man in the world, with a reported net worth of more than four hundred and ten billion dollars. One hundred and fifty billion of that four hundred and ten billion has been garnered since the twenty twenty four election. You heard me right, So he got a whole additional one hundred and fifty billion dollars since the election. I think that is worth noting. Next, this former h one B visa holder. As I said, he is the South African born richest man in the world. Elon Musk got rich from building companies like PayPal and then going on to invest in companies like Tesla, which most of us know him from.
Speaker 2: And SpaceX.
Speaker 1: This election cycle, he establish a pack called America Pack for those of you who don't know, a pack stands for political Action committee. So he founded America Political Action Committee and according to FBC filing, spent seventy two million dollars to support the election of Donald J.
Speaker 2: T Donald J.
Speaker 1: Trump so again July endorsement established his America Pack spends seventy two million dollars of his own money to help get Donald Trump elected. I would say a theory is he did a little bit more than that. You all know my theory if you watch the podcast. If you don't know my theory, watch the podcast. It is a theory. It is not confirmed, but I believe that the SpaceX Satellite Division might have had something to do with this electoral victory.
Speaker 2: So there's that now.
Speaker 1: I want to also say that that it is that. Well, I'm just going back to the facts. Let me go back to the facts. Don't ever bouy my theories for now. So one of Trump's earliest advisors, Steve Bannon, who you are may remember. His name may ring a bell because he was held in contempt of Congress for not cooperating with Congress. He said recently that Elon Musk's sole objective is.
Speaker 2: To become a trillionaire.
Speaker 1: There is apparently trouble in paradise because Steve Bannon and Elon must don't rock with each other. Steve Bannon was fired in the last Trump administration, but he is still a diehard Maga. So the Magas are scrapping. So he said that his only goal is to become a trillionaire. He says that white South Africans are the most racist on the planet. It's funny to watch the pot calling the kettle black, or maybe to watch the pot calling the kettle white, or to say that the sheet and the wall match. I don't know, but I just think it's worth noting. So they're fighting, there's trouble in paradise. He said that he was going to see to it by inauguration that Elon Musk did not have the unfettered access that surprise he has. So Steve Bannon, you fail, Try again, for try again now. I want to just get into the frail a little bit around what's happening in South Africa. You would will have just noted that most recently, Donald Trump said that he was going to cut off all funding the South Africa. I keep emphasizing the South African born Elon Musk for a reason.
Speaker 2: Elon Musk might have something to do with this policy.
Speaker 1: So South Africa just announced a land expropriation law, and that law passed last month. It is designed to redress the apartheid era confiscation of land owned by black people, and Donald Trump, in response to this law passing in South Africa, made this statement on true social South Africa is confiscating land and treating certain classes of people very badly. A massive, a massive human rights violation at a minimum is happening for all to see. The United States won't stand for it.
Speaker 2: We will act. Also note this part.
Speaker 1: Also, I will be cutting off all future spending, all future funding. I'm sorry about that, all future funding to South Africa until a full investigation of this situation has been completed. Now, what is fascinating about this is Donald Trump, Mister America first himself is real focused on where he's going to, you know, lay down the law on a tariff. He drew that back, he pulled that back, and now he's talking about funding the South Africa. And South Africa only receives foreign aid from US to the tune of four hundred million dollars annually and it's mostly for health programs, primarily focused around HIV AID support. So it's fascinating that he's tied this land expropriation law that is designed to give people back the land that they once had and he's saying, we're not going to do this. Now what you should also know and then I'm gonna get back to America, roll with me to South Africa a little bit longer. Elon Mus's hometown homeland home country. Land ownership has been a very contentious issue in South Africa. This is, according to BBC, for more than a century. In nineteen thirteen, British colonies authorized British colonial authorities pass legislation that restricted the property rights of the country's black majority. Again, the law that was just passed is designed to give back black folks the land that they once had. The Native's Land Act left the vast majority of the land under the control of the white minority and set the foundation for the forced removal of black people to poor homelands, homelands and townships. And this is more than three decades ago, until the end of apartheid. Now, the other thing that I think is worth noting is that Elon mu Us had something to say and it sounded very similar to what Donald Trump said around returning the land.
Speaker 2: And it being a racist policy.
Speaker 1: So the Washington Post said that South Africa's government has framed land reform as a moral social and economic imperative. I think many of us would agree with that given our own experiences in this country because of the systemic dispossession of black South Africans under apartheid. The country did a land audit in twenty seventeen, and that land audit says that the white population in South Africa owned seventy two percent of individually owned farms and agricultural holdings. Mixed race citizens also known as coloreds in South Africa owned fifteen percent, Indians owned five percent, In Africans owned four percent. Now, what you need to know is, according to the twenty twenty two census in South Africa, white folks made up seven point three percent of the population, but again owned seventy two percent of the farms and agricultural lands. So when Elon Musk says, why do you guys have openly racist ownership laws, he's not looking at the data and he's not looking at the impact, not even the intention of the law. We talked several times now about what the intention of that law is. But Elon Musk is focusing on the fact that white South Africans like him are going to perhaps get land snatched, that they're not even occupying. By the way, it is unoccupied land, unclaimed land that they are returning back to black citizens.
Speaker 2: And that is what is bizarre to me.
Speaker 1: But what is very clear to me is you know, for Elon Musk, if it don't make dollars, it don't make sense. He says, well, it's been noted that Musk's Starlink satellite internet service was denied and this is a company that is a subsidiary of SpaceX. It was denied a license in South Africa because it doesn't meet affirmative action criteria.
Speaker 2: All of this story to say to you.
Speaker 1: That if Elon Musk doesn't have a direct financial opportunity.
Speaker 2: Or a potential, he don't care.
Speaker 1: So the reason that Elon Musk is tweeting about South Africa and its racist laws ownership laws is really because this is a theory, by the way, is really because Elon Musk is frustrated by the fact that his company, Starlink Satellite was denied a license in South Africa. So now he's questioning everything they do to create equitable outcomes for people who have suffered under an apartheid system and still haven't seen equity, equality and justice. If we're honest. So he has Donald Trump in the fray around the expropriation law, but really he wants to upset what's going on in South Africa because he didn't get a contract which brings us to the United States. So what we also know is that Elon Musk has marched his white man privilege into the White House, into the White House complex at that with office space in his role as the Department of Government Efficiency lead, and Donald Trump has named him a special government employee. There is a big well, actually, there are several big issues with Elon Musk being named a special government employee, especially because in some ways it appears so again this is a theory, it appears that Donald Trump and his administration don't understand that conflict of interest and ethics still apply to special government employees. So I want to get into that a little bit because I think it's important to understand. One, Elon must South African descent, since they can't stand immigrant so much. It depends apparently white immigrants are in the clear, but he's a South African immigrant who now has unfettered access to the federal government. Anybody that has created an obstacle for him economically he's going after we saw him do that most recently with the South African president, and he's gotten Donald Trump in the frey there.
Speaker 2: But furthermore, furthermore.
Speaker 1: We need to understand what he plans to do with the Department of Government efficiency and how it will benefit President Elon Musk. So I got a question, Lolo, you just sent me from someone who said, who is leading the investigation? What investigation are y'all talking about? I've been talking for a long time. Just run that thing back for me.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So, now let's go into Elon musk potential bias as a special government employee, the conflicts of interests that are there, as well as the government business he has, and why this might create a much larger issue. So special government employees are defined in eighteen USC. Section two oho two, that is, Title eighteen of the United States Code, Section two zero two.
Speaker 2: What can we do that does not include the Supreme Court?
Speaker 1: Okay, these questions are I'm gonna keep I'm gonna get through my monologue and then I'll go back to these questions. But a special government employee means that the person's work does not normally exceed one hundred and thirty days annually. We know there's three hundred and sixty five days in a year. One hundred and thirty days may not It may be no problem. Elon muss and his friends may be no problem. They sleeping in government buildings, we'll get into that later.
Speaker 2: May not be a problem.
Speaker 1: But there are some other problems. So special government employees do have rules that apply to them. Donald Trump seemed to try to skirt by this issue in a press conference yesterday when he said, you know, it doesn't matter. Elon Musk is a special government employee who also isn't getting paid, So we'll call them a special government volunteer. Maybe they intend to introduce a new category of employee where none of the conflict of interests and ethics rules apply to them, or for now they do.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: While he doesn't have to comply with every ethics rule and conflict of interest rule that it normally applies to a full time government employee, appointed position, et cetera, special government employees do have rules, and especially around financial disclosures, ethics, and misuse of position. So the in the misuse of position part of the law, it says you cannot use public office for their own private gain or private gains of friends. Okay, So remember that eighteen USC. Two eight A says it prohibits you from participating personally and substantially in any particular matter that affects your finance interests as well as the financial interests of your spouse, minor child, general partner, an organization in which you serve as an officer, director, trustee, general partner, or employee, or an organization with which you are negotiating or with which you have an arrangement for perspective employment. So we are going to shortly get into the many places where Elon Musk's companies have government contracts and why it is a problem that he accessed all of the payment systems for the Department of Treasury, along with several others. So I don't know if Donald Trump and Elon Musk will get rid of FDIC. Congress can introduce legislation to stop them. And I'm just stopping here because there are more questions that are coming in and I think that what is most important is for the Democratic minority in the Senate and the House to find who their potential are allies are on the other side of the out and the Senate, in the House that are in districts where their majorities are thin. Maybe they were formerly blue districts. Maybe they are districts where they're Republicans, but they're not really Trumpers like that, and so they don't want to give him unfettered access to destroying the government. Those are the folks who they should be looking to ally up with, to align with, to determine what the steps forward could be to introduce legislation to stop some of what's happening. The majority is razor thin in the House, and it's razor thin in the Senate. They definitely don't have anywhere near sixty votes. So there are a number of things that can and should be done. I'm assuming that on these retreats and conferences that are currently being held that they're talking about these things.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I want to get into two. I was gonna say Donald Trump, President Donald Musk elon Musk conflicts of interest. So, according to the New York Times, Tesla has three hundred and fifty two thousand, which isn't a lot in federal contracts, but there are federal contracts. No less, SpaceX has fifteen point four billion dollars in contracts with nine different departments and three different government agencies.
Speaker 2: These are all at the federal level, and.
Speaker 1: Tesla and SpaceX, according to the New York Times, are the subject of more than twenty investigations or reviews by five different departments and six agencies in the federal government.
Speaker 2: So that is significant.
Speaker 1: Six figures in contracts for Tesla, billions of dollars in contracts for SpaceX, the subject of more than twenty investigation or reviews by five different departments and six agencies. One of these that you probably are already guessing is the Department of Treasury. So by election day, just so you all understand, by election day, according to New York Times, Elon mus led companies were in several battles across agencies and departments, including being fined. So that brings us back to the Department of Government efficiency. That's for a minute, to stop here at what happened with Treasury. So there are questions coming in about the Treasury department. What's going on, How does it impact us? The Department of Treasury literally is the entity that prints our money. It is literally the entity that is charged with holding banks accountable to ensure that our money is protected. Somebody asked about FDIC. The Department of Treasury is responsible for more than one billion payments per year, totaling five trillion dollars. Elon Musk has said to let him into the Department of Treasury because he could trim more than a trillion dollars from the federal deficit. The payments that the Department of Treasury oversees include all types of sensitive information, including bank accounts and social Security numbers, as well as all of those payments, so it is very, very important that we understand what they have access to at this point. There are several laws that Elon Musk's team could be violating. We went through some of those relative to a special government employee and their conflicts of interests, their financial disclosure requirements when they're supposed to wall themselves completely off. We know that he is an officer of a company that has federal government contracts, a founder of a company that has federal government contracts, and he is now in there tinkering with his competition's payments. It's just a bridge too far from me.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I want to also go to OPM, which has not been discussed as much. What you should know is OPM is discussed, so is USAID. By the way, you all, i'm sure, have been seeing a lot of things about USAID in the news. USAID and OPM are talked about in the Project twenty twenty five. There's one part on page two seventy one where they're talked about in the same paragraph. It is important for you to understand that Elon Musk is not doing anything, as Donald Trump said himself in a press conference, that hasn't already been authorized. Donald Trump made not necessarily be the one who authorized it or one who authorized it. But let me tell you who is the authors of Project twenty twenty five. The Heritage Foundation, the same Heritage Foundation that gave Ronald Reagan his blueprint, the same Heritage Foundation that gave George hw and George W. Bush their blueprint. There's nothing new under the sun, y'all. They have just renamed the thing and they've gotten a little more Rogan reckless. The reason you see Republican senators and members of the House on TV saying tough, it's gonna be alright, y'all, just don't want to trim the fat because you like bureaucracy.
Speaker 2: That's not it.
Speaker 1: They want bureaucracy, but only if it results in payments for their friends, and if they can be punitive and stop payments for grants that look into climate change and grants that go to HBCUs and opportunities like funding people's social security because you know they've been trying to cut that for a long time. This is what we end up with. We talked about the impowerment clause last week just a little bit again. It is they're now saying that it doesn't necessarily have to be empowerment. They are just reviewing, and that review could be a long time, which means that they're halting payments. All of that is problematic, and it is by design in Project twenty twenty five. So Office of Personnel Management, which is also referenced several times over again in Project twenty twenty five. What you should know is that Musk associates, musk acolytes, including past and present employees of his, have taken over OPM, which is the Office of Personal Management. Literally, they have put in sofa beds near the old director's office. They are demonstrating to them that you can't even get up here to the fifth floor if you don't have a security clearance. And we don't approve you. And while they're doing all of that, they are locking out senior officials at OPM. According to routers from Key Systems, Elon's team has gotten into a system called the Enterprise Human Resources Integration. That system contains highly personal information for government personnel across agency, across department. It includes information like your birth dates, social security numbers, appraisals, home addresses, pay grades, length of service of government workers, and any disciplinary action. All of that is in OPM files. That includes staffing information for members of Congress. So again, when you think about the retribute of nature of Elon Musk and Donald Trump, this is a way to punish their enemies, going into treasury to halt payments, going into the OPM files to disclose data and information that doesn't belong to them. And moreover, there are certain things that the federal government has done to keep our information safe from safe from foreign entities. They are circumventing all of that, which also makes our information vulnerable and susceptible to hacks by foreign government entities. I want to go briefly into GSA. GSA is responsible for every lease of federal office buildings and according to the AP.
Speaker 2: Just last week.
Speaker 1: Last week, an email from Washington headquarters of GS was sent and it instructed every regional manager to terminate leases on roughly seventy five hundred federal offices nationally. That initiative is being led by another Elon Musk employee. Her name is Nicole Hollander, and I believe she worked for X. I didn't put that down, but that was another thing to just be mindful of. They are doing this across the board from Treasury OPM GSA.
Speaker 2: We just talked about.
Speaker 1: Office of Management and Budget, as you know, is responsible for the federal funding freeze last week. They're doing this at USAID USA jobs and so even if you ever applied for a federal government job, your information is in there, all susceptible to being shared.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Department of Education, we know that they're going in planning to essentially gut the Department of Education. You all know Project twenty twenty five and in most Republican talking points for the throughout the years, they wanted to gut the Department of Education SBA. They're going to do the same thing at SBAS that they did with Treasury. Any if you have an SBA loan, if you have an SBA grant. If you have an SBA special classification, all of that information is subject to being shared now, so a lot of folks are asking what will people do to fight back. It is imperative that you reach out to your member of Congress and say you might be overwhelmed. I'm overwhelmed. I don't know where we go from here, but what I do know is I elected you to fight, and here are the expectations I have of you and sharing them, sharing with them with their staff what you think they should be doing. We are seeing that there are all types of lawsuits being filed by unions who work with federal government employees, by folks who are challenging thee the Trump administration's birthright citizenship position. There are all types of lawsuits that are being filed around this Elon Musk having unfettered access to governmental government employee data, government contracts, et cetera, especially those of UH those employees and former employees of his who have not been fired file hire they should be fired hired by the Feds to have any access to this information, and how it makes us susceptible to attacks. All of that is being challenged in the courts, but there are things that members of Congress can and should do. You can reach your member of Congress by calling to zero two two two four three one two one. That is the Capitol Hill Operator. They can transfer you to your uh, your member of Congress, to your senator, to to be connected with them and to share what you think should happen. All good ideas are all ideas right now are good ideas. There are no bad ideas. We've got to talk about how to fight, how to protect what we know is ours. Now. This democracy is fragile, it is trash, it is frustrating. But I think that we've seen very quickly within the last couple of weeks that so much can change in a matter of moments, that while it hangs in the balance, that there's something about that democracy that's worth protecting. So as we weighe through Elon Musk's conflicts of interest, as we get frustrated by the laws that are seemingly broken, some more apparent than others, and the physical proximity to the president that Elon Musk has, we know that he is still shooting himself in the proverbial foot. So, while the tariffs are right at Tesla's door, with Forbes reporting a dippinent stock. It costs Elon Musk nearly twelve billion dollars to be closely associated with this president and to be supporting policies that may actually cause him economic harm. So this is a reminder to him that nobody's safe in a Trump universe. And even if you find yourself doing his bidding, ask Michael Cohen about how that goes. Ask Steve Bannon about how that goes. So President Elon Musk for now, but it'll be President Stephen Miller tomorrow and we'll talk about that next week. Before I go, I'm gonna see if there are any other questions. It doesn't appear that there are any. I'm thirty minutes in. It's supposed to be a fifteen minute podcast, and so I just will say until next time.
Speaker 2: Oh no, there are more questions. Should Doge exist? Hell no? Does the doge? Only?
Speaker 1: Does the Doge make suggestions only for which federal office they want to cut funding for? But who makes the final decision? Yes, Donald Trump is ultimately the final arbiter. But it sounds like he is refering to Elon Musk. Can Elon and his team be banned from this info and this new department by law. Yeah, the law needs to be passed, and sadly it would need to be signed into law by Donald Trump unless there was a veto proof majority, and I think that would be really challenging right now. And then there's a last question. The gentleman that blocked Elon from accessing the system then resigned. Has anyone talked to him? I believe you're talking about the gentleman from the Department of Treasury. I don't know if anybody's talked to him, and he may have resigned just for moral reasons. Was he paid off? I don't know, but I will tell you who is paid off. A good number of federal government employees to the tune of twenty thousand, which makes up about one percent of the overall federal government staffing, took out. Took the payouts, which means that taking a payout, getting paid even through November of this year, you are no longer eligible for a federal pension. There. I'm sure we'll be a court battle around that as well. Don't take the payout, hold your ground, stay in your ground, make sure that you fight until the end. Keep sharing this information. Congressoman Maxine waters put up on the Financial Services Committee page on the ranking member sides. Of course she's a ranking member. A whistleblower sheet that you can fill out form you can fill out. Please make sure you are sharing information with members of Congress who care, who will fight for you. That is imperative. Again, call your members two zero two two two four three one two one, and until next time, Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 2: This is long.
Speaker 1: I didn't even get through all my notes, but there's a lot going on. Look up SBA, look up USA job, look at Department of Education, Treasury. It's all happening at the same damn time. If you got friends that work on, work there. Check out your strong friends and know this will always be a safe space for us.
Speaker 2: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.