Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe, and each week, my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what if, why not? And who says? So? Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything. Okay, I don't know about you, but I have decided that my new year starts February first, because this month has been a blur. I just got back from Veil. I wanted to spend my birthday on a mountain skiing. And this is going to sound so la, but I'm gonna just say it. The amazing woman who I get spray tands with is also in a s astrologer, and she like read my chart for my birthday and she told me that one of my missions in life is to realize that joy and play are not earned. And I laughed so hard when she said that to me, because what do you mean They're not earned? Yes, they are, so I am trying to work on that and trying to play a little bit more. I don't know what that even means to me, because like, I'm a Capricorn and everything is serious. But I bring that all up to say I actually do feel that when I'm skiing, I feel so free. So I spent my birthday on a mountain. I'm back. I'm ready to get back to work properly. I'm ready to like get in. I think I needed to hibernate like a little bear for a little bit, and I've not been great on my visualization practices. I've been going in and out, and I'm ready to commit finally. So if you've been better than me, then I'm so proud of you. Congratulations. And if you are lagging a little bit like me, let's just jump in together. February first, Okay, anyways, I want to to today's episode because I had so much fun recording it. I learned so much, and it's going to be one of those few that I actually listened back to because I want to relearn and sort of rehear what our guest had to say. I know there's going to be stuff that I pick up this time around, so let's get into it. Do you ever feel like culture is glitching. It feels like it's been happening, both slowly and all at once. The rise of AI, a new era under President Trump, a total reordering of how we consume media and art, and the Hollywood business models are scrambling to keep up. Celebrity used to mean mystique, and now it means a ring light and a good angle. Something is changing, and it has been for a while, and I think it's hard to tell where it is actually all headed. That's a question that's been circling my mind. But I think when things feel uncertain, there's one place that always tells the truth. First, pop culture. Bear with me, okay. I think it shows us what we excuse, who we worship, and what we pretend not to see long before we admit it out loud. Pop Culture is a mirror. It shows us where we are and where we're going. And today's guest doesn't just watch culture, she reads it like a receipt. Christiana back Medina is the creator of pop Syllabus, which is my favorite substack and now the name of her new podcast as well. She's one of the sharpest cultural critics and quite honestly sharpest people in the zeitgeist. She has this very rare talent for seeing the pattern underneath the headline. For instance, she can take a ditty verdict, a tradwife TikTok, a celebrity headline, a met Gallas sponsorship, the death of a celebrity apology and somehow make it all point to the same big question what are we rewarding right now? And why who do we give power to? And what does it say about us? And you know I love to dissect culture too, so today Christiana and I get into it all from her views on what the ditty trial really mean.
Speaker 2: They broken and needs to be problematic men, and we absolved that even when we find out about any wrongdoing they've done to.
Speaker 1: The complete collapse of celebrity mystique.
Speaker 2: Quite ash really collapsed for celebrity. It's right because it's just like, sure, you may have this celebrity you as a publicist and a studio system and a stylist and the whole team around them, but they can't necessarily compared to with gal that can just do it.
Speaker 3: Get ready with me and get median youth.
Speaker 1: We get into why we are obsessed with wealth in our culture, but why we also sort of despise rich people, how celebrity got demystified, and what replaces that man. We talk about the tradway, fantasy and the fine print nobody posts, and then we get into her twenty twenty six predictions, including who's poised for a comeback, what aesthetic is taking over, and what we're underestimating about AI. So I'm not gonna lie. We are circling a ton of questions today. But if I had to wrap it all into a tiny little bow and say we are circling one thing, I say that we are circling why do we keep giving power to the same kinds of people and what does that say about us? Okay, it's time to question everything with Christiana back Medina. Christiana, welcome to question everything.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. I'm happy to be me.
Speaker 1: I'm really excited. I've been wanting to talk to you, I think for about a year. My friend Natalie shared your work with me and I've been a huge band ever since.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You know he's gonna be so jealous. She's that here. But I think in a digital age, there are so many voices that it's hard to cut through the noise, and you somehow really have. What do you think it is?
Speaker 2: Some people call me a bit witchy. My mother pulls me anointed, as I like to say. But I think just because of my background, I occupied like a unique vantage point and I think it's my place in the world that makes me see things that others perhaps don't. I don't think like I'm uniquely brilliant. I just think my identity and my experiences I see things that other people maybe ignore, or I make connections other people don't, and I think because of that it resonates with people.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. Can you share more about your background?
Speaker 3: Yeah, grew up in London, in South London.
Speaker 2: Parents are Nigerian immigrants, where I spent my childhood, most of my early adulthood, and then I came out to the States when I was about twenty seven years old. I feel like I'm dating myself now and I've lived here for a decade.
Speaker 1: What made you come to America?
Speaker 3: That's a very lonely question, you know what it is.
Speaker 2: I knew there was like a bigger world out there, and I wanted to do something different that I knew England perhaps wouldn't allow me to do, especially on like the writing side of my work, and I was like, why not. You know, it was a bit insane in hindsight, like you have to be a bit delusional, and I was like, let me just try. And then I ended up being here for over a decade, getting married, having kids, have three anchor babies, so it's going to be very hard to get.
Speaker 3: Out of here.
Speaker 1: You have three babies, I have frekids. I do not know that he is a free kid girl. You have an American.
Speaker 2: Husband, Yes, I have an American husband who grew up in New York piece of Dominican descent.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of languages in my house.
Speaker 2: Like I go between English and if my husband speaks Spanish, so there's a lot happening.
Speaker 4: How do you think about instilling certain culture in your kids?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I just be myself. Like my parents always send these care packages, are a lot of very British snacks, so my kids are like pussy pigs are real McCoy's and penguins, so those are their snack references. I speak I both to my children and so they use words here and there. And my husband is taken care of his past. So we're just ourselves. We're very intentional about being ourselves and our kids are just like a wonderful blend like both of us.
Speaker 3: I like to think they're also like nuts.
Speaker 1: Do you consider yourself a writer first?
Speaker 2: I think that's the mode I'm most comfortable expressing my idea. I think you get to be a bit more reflective. And I kind a habit of like saying the wrong thing. That's like kind of my grand funny. Yeah, I just put my mind in a way that like people don't like women too, So like the thing about writing, I get to be a bit more measured. Even when I'm being inflammatory. I'm inflammatory and it's smart and measured. Yeah, I'm always getting kicked out of group chats. What I like about writing is that I can be myself, but it also forts to me to be more reflective or fall And once it exists in the world, you want people to receive it in the right spirit, you know. So let's say write first, and then think.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like when your friends say that and they take you places? Is it because they don't want to catch you debating and ruffling feathers?
Speaker 4: And what is it for you?
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you.
Speaker 2: Like the back and floor I spoke about this recently on another podcast. I think it's my father, Like this whole thing was always he'd make the statement and he was curious about the posision I would take, and he would always take the opposite one.
Speaker 3: He's like my debatable sparring partner.
Speaker 2: So when you raise by a man like that, and then my mom's a big reader as well.
Speaker 3: When you have parents like my parents, you just always.
Speaker 2: Want to say something that's not a bit outrageous, but like you like to engage with ideas, and I think it comes from that. But then you go into the world and you're like, oh my god, everyone's polite and you're not supposed to give your opinion at the dinner table. You're supposed to do small. But I wasn't prepared for that. So my friends are like, hey, for meeting you. People don't let them know how crazy you are.
Speaker 1: When you were dating, was it important for you to meet a maan that was a thinker and like led with conversation.
Speaker 2: I don't like to speak to most men after five pm, let alone a stupid man.
Speaker 3: So I knew like whoever.
Speaker 2: I ended up with had to be like my intellectual people, if not like smart. I always say, my husband's smarter than means. That's what I needed. I needed somebody that I admired, the intellects and stuff like that. Yeah, out end dates, but you know you say the check please, like I'm out. Yeah, that was very important to me.
Speaker 1: So you sit at the intersection of politics, pop culture, rates, and the internet. Yeah, when you analyze culture, what questions are you asking yourself? What are you looking for?
Speaker 4: And I asked that because you have such a unique point of view.
Speaker 3: I'm asking why, like why now?
Speaker 2: In particular because I think Angler Metal, the formula transfer of Germany said something very interesting, You said, Paris raising. He said, history doesn't repeat itself, but there are patterns, and I think in pop culture and the kind of zone I'm in, there are always these patterns. And I think we can be lazy, but like, this has happened before, but if you look at the past, there were maybe signs that this would happen. And I'm curious about why is it happening now? Right, That's the thing I'm thinking about. Why is it happening now? How can I connect it to a past? And what does it say about the future? And that is like my bag in terms of pop culture and.
Speaker 1: Like my lens, and so are you always when you're researching a topic, are you going back to historical references? Or have you been a student of history? They just come to you.
Speaker 3: I think everyone's version of a historical reference is different.
Speaker 2: Right. I'm a pop culture girl that grew up in England and that is the big Breakference's SMTV Lives the UK. It's Top of the Pops, which shows that like your American isn't going.
Speaker 3: To be like what the hell is that? But people back home are like, yeah, those are our references.
Speaker 2: We remember when Robbie Williams or the Spice Scales were on these shows, right yeah, And it's Bliss magazine and so it's a whole different pop culture canon in a way. And then it's of course like my Nigerian British subculture and take garage and all of these things that really inform the lens at which I look at things happening in maybe India or like the US. So when I say history, some of it it's like my own personal nostalgia. But there are these very big, broader historical themes that I think we cannot ignore when look at culture. Whether it's like women getting the right to vote, whether it's like the Civil rights era, because especially in a US context, that shape so much of where we are today. So like, there are the big tip poles that I'm always looking at and I'm always thinking about. In a way, I think twenty twenty uprisings and COVID, like what did that do to pop culture? I feel like COVID created this kind of animal who doesn't go out much.
Speaker 3: I put myself in that.
Speaker 2: I used to go out a lot more before we shut down. And I think a lot of people are consuming pop culture at home and they want to return home. Whereas before, like maybe twenty nineteen, it was like, you know what, let's go and watch this movie together, but now it's like, you know what, I'm going to wait the night forty five days, which it is now, until it's on my streamer, and maybe I'm gonna watch work it at home, like I don't need to do this in the theater. And I think twenty twenty kind of change certain behaviors, you know, zoom parties or like just working from home. I think we become different animals because of twenty twenty, the racial uprisings and the event of COVID. So that's something I think about a lot, Like, how does the twenty twenty years of it all in this kind of mass traumatic event affects how people are creating pop culture and how.
Speaker 1: We're consuming it, consuming from home is really interesting to me besides the obvious, Yes, we're consuming at home. But I have a friend whose husband was a party promoter year ago, and he said people used to come to clubs to see what people were wearing. That was like a big drop. It was fashion, and then when the Internet and Instagram happened, you didn't really need the clubs. And that's kind of when clubs die.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I don't that's the club or anybody. I hate clubs me too.
Speaker 4: I want a book club. I don't want any of the club I don't want.
Speaker 2: It's noisy, like the bottles and the door and some man judging me when I'm willing to get it now I'm twelve fashion, But like, yeah, you can see the clubs from your phone. You can see Cachella from your phone, and the vipon section people are sharing.
Speaker 3: That, and then you can find fashion on your phone. You know.
Speaker 1: I remember the moment that I realized that pop culture was more than a tabloid magazine. I grew up in a family that was academic, and so they would kind of make fun of me.
Speaker 4: They were like, you're wasting your brain. What are you doing this garbage?
Speaker 1: And I moved to LA and started working at like E and Entertainment Tonight, and I realized that it is a mirror. It's like we are informing it, and it is informing us, and it's reflecting where we are as a society. Do you remember the moment you realize that it was a mirror, that it was bigger than just these tabolic magazines.
Speaker 2: I think I always knew that because my parents were very strict about not letting me consume pop culture, like it was always this thing I had to sneak in, Like they didn't like me watching television. My parents are deeply con togoss on. My father's like a pasta, So there was no second of music. This was a thing that don't touch It's the bidden it's of the world. But when I go to school, people were talking about what they watched, what they read, what they were listening to, and their parents are just like normal, like you can listen to the radio, right, So I was kind of consuming pop culture by like kind of osmosis a lot as a child. As a teenager, I had a lot more three dam So I always knew it was like really important and it was reflective of how people felt of the world, and it was performing how they felt about the world too. But I can't think of a specific moment where I'm like, it's pop culture. I think I always intuited this.
Speaker 4: That's really interesting. Yeah, when did you realize your voice?
Speaker 1: Most people it's a big question, But was there like a piece that you put out that you thought, oh, this movie The Needle.
Speaker 2: I think it was my early days on Twitter, which I'm not on anymore, but I would often go viral or it was like the fascist Healthscape. I would often go yeah, just a week clear, but I go viral for saying things that I would just say to my friends and in my life, and I just tweet what I'm saying, and I was like, Oh, I'm resonating with people.
Speaker 3: That's what I felt like.
Speaker 2: I felt like I say things that people can relate to and expressing ideas.
Speaker 1: You know, I must have felt so good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I've always kept.
Speaker 2: A distance from it because I had this inherent mistrusted of people. To go viral to be liked or people to respond to your voice doesn't necessarily mean that you're contributing anything good to the conversation. I think like typically actually means you're probably a bit of a maniac, right, Like the people we've platformed, especially in modern society, whether it's politically and culture and fashion, they tend to be the most like outrageous people. So about imperent skill or value, it's just that you've made somebody feel something. It doesn't mean that you've contributed something good to the world. So I've never seen that viral moment as being like, oh, this feels good. Sometimes I interrogate, like, why are they're responding? Is it because I feel like put something good at into the world? And that's like kind of the litmus test for me.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I think that's a really traditional journalistic lens to like remove yourself from the equation. I listened to a podcast about how back in the day, all the journalists were paid thirty forty thousand dollars and so they were making a living, but they were not of the upper class. And now a lot of journalists are mixing and mingling with the people they're writing about and changed the stratosphere.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure, like they.
Speaker 1: Don't want to write about their friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: And it's just like that kind of access sometimes, I don't know the spoils of it can Sully your actual work.
Speaker 1: Is there a recent pop culture moment that made you feel like, oh, this says everything about the moment that we are in right now.
Speaker 2: I think that the DD verdict the sentence being a lot less than what people anticipating, and just the response to it and the spectacle of that trial.
Speaker 3: I think it's like the definitive story in the way i'd say more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think because there was the expectation that he would be found guilty on all accounts and he would never see the light of day again. I didn't think that speaking to me, but I was like, I topt him to get off on everything, but I think he went down on like the prostitution charges and we've got a fifty months sentence, which is very leniar and given everything happening. But I was like, we are in a world where like powerful and rich people can get away with things and the public is kind of on their side. Like people were shocked that you know, you saw the video of him and Cassion. You watched this trial, and now the documentary is coming out, You've seeing the feelings of jurors and the general public. There's a lot of people that are like, it's not illegal to be a free That's what they've taken from this trial. And I think it's so emblematic about these problematic men who verge on criminality.
Speaker 3: You sometimes are criminals who are still our.
Speaker 2: Kind of kings, are cultural kings, and we're willing to forgive them for anything. And I think that's the story of like maybe the last five to ten years of like we like our men broken, and we like them all our criminal and we.
Speaker 3: Allow them to haul us. And so I think the Diggy trial was that in a nutshell from a culture.
Speaker 4: Perspective, when you say five to ten years, what do you think fifted?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 3: Was?
Speaker 1: It part of e Weinstein.
Speaker 2: I think there's a Harvey element to it. There's I think the political scientists can do a better job of this. But there was a point in the Trump campaign versus Hillary when take came out, everyone was like, he's done. I didn't think he was done, but like didn't No, I didn't think he was done because I think that what a lot of people miss about Trump is that he represents an archetype that exists in a lot of families, which is like a problematic uncle who says the wrong thing that you find him finn so you overlook, oh you heard that person. It's not acceptable to me, right, it's not acceptable for people like us. But there's a lot of people that are like, Okay, so he said this thing, and he may have done this thing, but he's also and I think that's how a lot of people read him. But like that will not feel transgressive enough, and it kind of changed politics right in terms of like what you can get away with it, and so like maybe some people will do that tracing of like the trumpiness of it all.
Speaker 3: But I think sometimes we make it too much about Trump.
Speaker 2: I think that's so overdone that I think in a US context, you can be like, it's this, and then maybe in the UK are thinking more about like Brexit, because it was like Charlatan's the people that promoted Forrexit. You're like these men, you should not be listening to them, and yet it happened. And so I just think that we're just in this world where we like elevate broken, deeply problematic men and we absolve them even when we find out about any wrongdoing they've done.
Speaker 3: And so why would he didn't be any different?
Speaker 4: I'm so deep because it's deeply cultural. In our family system, it's.
Speaker 2: In our family systems, it's how we live, and sometimes it's in friendship systems. I speak to people and there's like a career friends and a man has done something horrific to a woman in that group. It's on that verge of like unske the full timely illegal. The woman doesn't necessarily report it, but she tells her friends, and the friendship group doesn't ostracize this. Now he's still allowed around, so she ostracizes herself, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So this is something that we know, like something that happens, and I think we absolve ourselves as a society, who are like, did this unique evil?
Speaker 3: And it's so shocking.
Speaker 2: The jury let him off, and I'm like, okay, but think about in your family and in your friendship groups, who are the people around that are maybe predators that you just kind of like that or you've heard something, but you still maybe not associate with them, but you haven't had that person off, and I just think the trial is just an emblem of that thing that we do, especially when a person is rich, because we're just at a time where we are sex with rich people.
Speaker 1: That's actually the topic I want to speak to you most about today is wealth and institutions and celebrity. I think they're all intertwining. You wrote that people across the class, racial, and political spectrums appetite for celebrities flaunting their wealth and power is ween. I remember thinking that during COVID that celebrities, not all but some were looking tone deaf. But in reality, so many of us look to the lives of the ultra wealthy as aryeers. We're interested. What do you think the fixation on wealth reveals about our society?
Speaker 4: And is it the same in America as it is elsewhere?
Speaker 2: So I think that we're in a world generally where if you are poor and in povocy, it's seen as a moral faith right. If you can't afford something, you would finalize that like we will do it. Oh my god, I wish I could fel that bad. You know, I was just making more money. You internalize that like I've done something wrong. So when you kind of demonize quovty or not being able to afford something as like a personal faith that you have failed within the system. The people that do have money, it becomes like they're morally superior. We don't realize they are better than us. They are able to maneuver the world in a way that I can't, and so you admire them because of what they have, right, because we haven't disconnected wealth from like the way we feel about people's humanity and their value and their worthiness and that, and we haven't disconnected that from ourselves. Because I know so many people at the end of the year when they do their review, it's not about like what they've accomplished as people. They're like, my god, I just don't have as much money as I want. So the people that do have all this money, we just assume that.
Speaker 3: They're better than us.
Speaker 1: They figured something out.
Speaker 2: Or they come from better families. That's why we like venerate old money, or the entrepreneurial class or the tech maget class. We're like, these people are so much brilliant, they're so much better than us, and that's why we look to them and we watched them.
Speaker 1: Do you like capitalism? No, do you think there's a better alternative.
Speaker 2: Salism, But like, I think enterprise is important, right, But I don't think all enterprise is necessarily need to be profitable for you to live. Like struggle with the idea that if I'm not generating some sort of income for myself, I'm not worthy. We're all going to go through phases in life where we can't being a child you can't, and I'm being disabled being elderly. Right, So if my moral value is attached to what I attribute to the economy, are I less valuable in capitalism and the capitalist framework? That's the case, and capitalism is about like extracting surflace value. That's how the system makes money. It's not actually the inherent value because if it was like or how hard you're working, you're cleaner would be paid a lot more than they are. Like the people working the hardest are paid the least in this capitalist framework.
Speaker 3: And I deep sac that I.
Speaker 1: Agree, And similar to you, I love history and so I look back and I think, was there a system I'm doing it better? And what I struggle with is I haven't read about a system that did, And I'm like, can we make a new like is conscious capitalism even possible.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think, like the Scandinavian countries are onto something, but then there's also like the Gnaudic paradox, the fact that in that part of the world, even though they have a lot of like legal equality and like quality in terms of how people live, they have one of the highest rates of interpersonal violence.
Speaker 3: Right, So there's going to be no perfect system.
Speaker 2: I think this version of late state capitalism that we're in is not sustainable and it's not producing the outcomes that they want.
Speaker 3: But then there is no perfect system.
Speaker 2: Like I think they're the dichotomy of like capitalism versus socialism, but like I fear between being like a social I'm probably a social democrat when it comes down to it, right, But like everyone in for us, I'm not here to necessarily argue for a particular system. I just know that the system we're currently in is really not working, and even people making lots of money feel poor.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, what's that about. That's not sustainable to me?
Speaker 1: I think people have turned on celebrity. I'm thirty five years old. I share that to share the time I grew up and celebrity was venerated we were obsessed with celebrity. I remember being at the gym and every woman would have a tabloid magazine, regardless of class or anything. And when I moved to LA in twenty thirteen, the capital of celebrity, people were still upsets. And then something shifted. I can't point to necessarily the moment. Why do you think we no longer venerate celebrity.
Speaker 3: It's been demystified.
Speaker 2: Right, there was a time to see a person's baby, the rollout of a celebrity baby.
Speaker 3: It's a magazine exclusive and maybe a TV exclusive.
Speaker 2: You used to get me in a million dollars to yours, and you had to go down the road and buy a magazine to see that. Like, there are very limited ways of being able to access celebrity, so you could really create this theater of like Michael Jackson, right and like people collapsing it concerts tools. These people are so inaccessible. But in the age of like Instagram, celebrities have made themselves so accessible and like anybody can kind of mean it. We have influencer celebrity. There's streamers who are like huge that maybe we've never heard of, losing like the boundaries of like the old culture of celebrity.
Speaker 3: They've been demystified.
Speaker 2: Now there are still a few from ID say, like the old God like I say, a Tom Cruise beyond say our Superstars, but they came from a different era. Taylor Swift again came from a different era, and they are the last of that way. There is still some sort of mythos around them, and you're just like, how do I get into this person?
Speaker 1: I love that you said myth those because I was thinking about this so much. The American dream is a mythology. Yeah, it's a story, and it's the reason that so many people, even people who live in countries like the Nordic countries that have decent state of living, if not great state of living, still want to come here. Is that idea and in reality, only eight percent of people have class mobility here. It is literally a mythology. It is so rare that it actually happens to people, and the story of celebrity has domined. I didn't think about that.
Speaker 2: And it's like, you know, everyone talks about that Andy Warhol about like there's a future where everyone's going to be famous for fifty minutes, fifteen minutes, which is remarkably like him being like this kind of futurist in that sense, but I think the influencer economy like being this incredible business. And then also I'd say, like the Kardashians really collapsed for celebrity. It's right because it's just like, sure, you may have this celebrity who as a publicist and the studio system and a stylist and the whole team around them, but they can't necessarily compare to a girl that can just do it get ready with me and get a million youths and like stopify or whatever it is. It's generating like one hundreds of thousand dollars a month. Like, yeah, the direct to consumer girl of like an Alex Earl, who the whole appeal to her is is like, this is somebody I think I'd be in the sorty bit, right, This is somebody I know and admire, but she probably wouldn't be my friend because I'm not tall enough. But I can access her with my phone and that just gets eyed. And she's on the same platform as you're on. Garge, pristine celebrity, Like they're all occupying the safe space. They're all on laptop, they're all on Instagram and so what is the currency of celebrity if you are on the same platform as my favorite influencer who is just some stay at home mom with her two kids, you know what I mean, like just the kind of mundanity of it that these are just regular people living in regular lives. We make lots of money and you're alongside a celebrity. The only thing that actually makes a celebrity stand out now, I will actually say is if you have obscene well like a lot of money, like the celebrities with money, then you're like, well, this is still a celebrity, even though there's pertny celebrities who don't have money as we don't.
Speaker 3: You're right.
Speaker 1: I was just going to ask you if there's any celebrity that you think is celebrity.
Speaker 3: In well, what would you say as well?
Speaker 4: Okay, tell me if you think I could add or subtract everything.
Speaker 1: But I think instinctually they are like in the majority sense or well regarded maybe it's a better word. Their work feels authentic to them. They're working consistently, and maybe the mythology aspect, they've created some sort of mythology.
Speaker 2: I don't know who does, because I think part of what doing it well is in this era is also managing to be somewhat neutral, you know, where everything is very politicized, right, not rocking the boat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have.
Speaker 2: Created this big tent where people have like different ideologies can feel like I can still be a fan of you.
Speaker 3: I think there are brands that do that. I think Housewives says that.
Speaker 2: Really well, like if the Real Housewives universe was a sinking a person, because they have a very diverse audience in terms of how they vote, how they live racially, like you see Bravo con It's all sorts of people like gender and sexuality. I think Doja cats and being an anti celebrity is very interesting.
Speaker 1: That's what we're right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because she's like she.
Speaker 2: Kind of doesn't like her fans, like I have that fans and I just have to exist. But my music, I think some of the you know, younger millennial, the gen Z girl that kind of figuring out something a bit different, like Olivia Rodrigo, I think is really good at that, you know, But in terms of like millennials, no one immediately comes to mind.
Speaker 1: I saw Jennifer Lopez a few years ago. She was like releasing her album and came online and said something about like if you vote or do X, Y and Z, like, I'll send you a poster. And I was like, is this ninety ninety like who is right? And I love Bela, but who is right?
Speaker 3: A poster?
Speaker 1: And I was like, there's this whole old school of like machine yeah, built around people like her that just does not work anymore. And I think that was part of the backlash against her that maybe wasn't warranted.
Speaker 2: But I think she's like a great in terms of a celebrity animal. I think her ability to just endure. I'm always impressed and taken by those type of celebrities who like can be distinct era and still feel really relevant, because not everyone can do that, and I think Jennifer Lopez does it really well. I think he also does that really well. I think Mariah Carey has done that really well. Like there's certain women really great at that, whereas other people like when the digital thing happened and yeah, you know, obviously streaming destroyed fetch of your business of your musician, like yeah, you're no longer sending CDs and the ability to like pivot, I hate that word. There's some celebrities were.
Speaker 3: Better at doing that than others.
Speaker 1: I have a theory on that. Okay, the three people you named are pop stars. There's like a pop star element in each of them. And I think women and music, particularly pop stars their mindset from the beginning because of people like Diana Ross and Madonna are like, I have to reinvent every single album, so they're used to the reinvention and an actor wants to be themselves. Yeah, yeah, that's true, and I think it's hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Will Smith is somebody that did it well. He doesn't respect social media.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: Whatever he does his social media with him, and I think We'll Smith has always been someone that has been able to like, you know, from rappers, serious actor obviously, yeah, fresh princes and like he's very good at the Internet, and not all celebrities are.
Speaker 1: That's a really good point. You wrote that Lauren Sanchez might be one of the most important pop culture figures of twenty twenty five. Yeah, so curious why. Well, I think it's.
Speaker 2: Because she kind of with this marriage right, lives at the intersection of pop culture, het and celebrity in a way that most people don't recognize because they look at her and it's like this trope of like they think she's a bimbo because perhaps she loves so she's got a classic surgery. It doesn't help. Like she's wearing lingerie at the inauguration and do you know what I mean? But she's kind of become this big moments this year, that going to space turning like Gelking and eighth arianso astronauts.
Speaker 3: That was all her.
Speaker 2: She kind of breaks the internet with her wedding and then has this digital Vogue cover shortly afterwards, co chairing the met Bala, hosting Christiana's party, these events that like everyone.
Speaker 3: Watching even though they don't want to watch, and.
Speaker 2: She liked that enging behind it all because Jeff Bezos didn't have that image with his formal wife. And I think she was the one that's like, I understand how to get you into places that you maybe wouldn't otherwise be. I'm fraided with the poor people that you want to be around. But it's shifting pop culture, Like the met vala thing is major being announced as a sponsor and her name is on it. It's like Jeff Bezos and Laurence Sanchius Bezos. There's rumors like firing Berg or what's happening next. But I think just especially through her husband's influence of just owning the Washington Post boundary of Amazon, it's very rare that we see a woman being able to harness somebody else's power and make it about themselves. With also shift culture, and I think it does affect how people realize she's Latina in this moment of like a real aggressive I think anti Latino sentiment in this country because the powers associated with immigration. One of the most visible women and the most wealthiest women in this country by function of who she's married, is a Latin woman, and that that pot me something that I find is very interesting. And I'm not into like representation in politics. I think it's very pollwed. So I think those types of seeming contradictions, for instance, are interesting to me.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about marriage a few months ago and my therapy w I heard about it and she was like, well, there's still this element of because we live in a petherword patriarchy, eno like, we live in a patriarchal society, that heterosexual marriage still represents proximity to power, and so the excitement around engagement and marrying is like, oh, this person with power has chosen to be with me. Therefore I have more power, and I know marriage is about more than just that.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a good way to put it.
Speaker 1: I thought of it because you said she's one of the wealthiest and most powerful people by proximity of who she married. We're in this moment of I think, deciding what fourth wave feminism is, and she's an interesting character in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean she's married pretty independent of that, very like accomplished and interesting woman.
Speaker 1: Like she's a plot and she.
Speaker 3: Owns he's a news anchor, news anchor like, so she's on it. Like h's intelligent woman. He's an intelligent man.
Speaker 2: But I think as an operator, what she's been able to do and witnessing it is very interesting to me because they're all strategic moves that have had like pop cultural implications, and then you're looking at I think the Met Gala sponsorship was interesting to me because you know, Bezos is interested in culture with a small sea, whether it's like ad and the movies, the secotcetera, that it's very small sea culture. But with the Met Museum as culture of the big sea, that's a completely different profile of philanthropy and type of person and that overlapped me with the pop and with culture, you know, with a big scene. I'm like, this is a fascinating book.
Speaker 1: You talk a lot about soft power. It's actually a phrase that a bird, but I didn't know too well until I started reading your substack. What's the biggest misconception people have about soft power?
Speaker 3: So, like hard power is like international relations, it's like nuclear weapons, Like do I have bombs?
Speaker 2: Do I have nuclear weapons? Do I have like the economic means to enforce those things? Like people, We're going to go to wa tomorrow, and it's like who has the guns and the bombs?
Speaker 3: Who's winning this thing?
Speaker 2: Right? So it's hard towers like Russia, it's China, it is the US. Soft power is.
Speaker 3: A bit different, right, it's staying in a very lazy and crude way.
Speaker 2: It's like these intangible cultural cache that can spread influence, right, and a great arm of that is someone call it propaganda, But like it's the film, the music, the fashion, all of these things change how the world sees you. You don't have to use the group four to that, like I'm going to invade you and bomb you. You can actually like launch invasion through the art you Max.
Speaker 1: Maybe a good example, tell me how the Armory will sponsor movies like Top Gun and it increases people wanting to be in the.
Speaker 2: Arty or even like there's a real history in American television that's intensified after nine eleven of the way you.
Speaker 3: Depict your enemies.
Speaker 2: How do you make Muslim appear on screen? Or you know, like so you had the trope of the Brown Terroists, which is something that you see again in a game. In American television and film, that's also a way of deploying soft power. How you make through adversities, you look through entertainment. And so when I talk about soft how I talk about like us having an incredible amount of soft power, like Hollywood being this great machine and it's worked since I think post World War two have like oh my god, the Americans recre know what I mean? The Americans make great stuff, like you know, growing up like the boy band way all the boy band and the girl bands, it all came from me. And suff was great for America's international brand because it's something to be said where your most beloved artist is from America. I think that's slightly shifting now, but it's going to take a while, but America still has an incredible amount of stock power influenced in terms of just like a stalcual.
Speaker 1: Exports, who do you see making waves?
Speaker 3: I think Kim Kardashian and Mega Markel.
Speaker 1: You always say they're the same person.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get into that, then we get in trouble. I think they are speaking to each other in a way that I find interesting. Similar bit different, but I think that as an export, like the royal family wanted to launder her reputation for that too, But a biracial woman who's married into this institution that has a lot of problems, which is great for perhaps rehabilitating their image, didn't work out like that. But Mega markles beloved around the world, whether people like it or not, and part of that is because she appears to be ambiguous, so a lot of people can map themselves onto her in a similar way to Kim Kardashian, who can pass as many things and has kind of passed as many things in her career quite cynically. So my feeling is like these are very powerful soft power America has at his disposal, but that's kind of changing. They're coming from different parts of all while I think, do you think.
Speaker 1: There's a powerful cultural lie that women are being told right now?
Speaker 2: I think the trad wife stuff is I mean, it's just dumb, like, no man is going to take care of you for that long unless you's getting something out of it. Men only do things that it's good for themselves, because the things everyone should do things for their good for themselves.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But I think this idea that, in an attempt to kind of escape the horrors of capitalism, which are bad, women do not enjoy being in the work for I meet very few women who love their work, right, and often when you have children, that intensifies. You're like, I'm doing this shop, I'm stuck in the middle management, I've hit the glass ceiling.
Speaker 3: I don't want to be here. I want to be at home, right, And so I.
Speaker 2: Think what the tad wife movement is doing is kind of speaking to that overall burnout.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: And Helen Peterson, who's brilliant, she's on Patreon, she writes about that a lot in her work and culture study, and it's just this idea that women aren't burnt out, women hired and what the Tria life image does it sells this fantasy or is to retreat into your home, which I mean, I hate to cook. I'm never gonna cook, but I would love to be table scaping all day and like doing dinner parties.
Speaker 3: And there is something whim's support about that fantasy.
Speaker 2: But it is a fantasy, but it feels like a compelling fantasy when you're on your phone and you're like seeing Nara Smith even though she's performing as this thing, and you're like, maybe this is something I can have too. And I think that is the biggest like because you never see old tradwives, right because the man diforces to.
Speaker 1: You, finds a young train you, or he.
Speaker 2: Finds like the fun girl he always wants, like you know, the lie of like the Good Girls. Tadwife is just like women should just be themselves, like all of these tropes that they sell us just they don't ever serve us.
Speaker 3: Just to be yourself. But I think that's a.
Speaker 2: Big thing that a lot of women are buying into, especially gen Z women millennial women of my age are just like, Okay, maybe if I can just find a man to take care of me, or one woman.
Speaker 3: I notice said, why not does it have one boss instead of ten.
Speaker 2: I think is a lie, and I think long term a lot of people may regret the decision if they women who are choosing that, because very few men can be trusted.
Speaker 1: Also, and tell me what you think about this. Something I hear a lot is that, specifically gen Z women will say I am not a feminist and they don't want to be feminist because they say, like, I want a man to open the door for me, and I want a man who will pay for dinner or help make me a trad Wise, if I want to stay at home, they say, I want to be a Lululemon mom or a range Rover mom. And what I'm struggling with explaining maybe it's been part of that fantasy because when we got access to the workforce in a real way, we didn't diminish any of our tasks at home statistically, at least in America, And so women were doing all the domestic labor and working outside the home, and they were burnt out and are burnt out. And so I understand the want to have one boss instead of ten, but I don't know how to explain the other aspects of that.
Speaker 2: And I think when young women say that an abstraction to theory, and I think it actually really diminishes what stay at home mothers do. It's incredibly hard work, even if you have money at resources. It makes it maybe a bit easier if you have money and resources, but it's still really hard. It's twenty four seven. You don't get to retire if you assume that role of a homemaker. Your husband retires one day, you're still going to have to make the home right. So these women are giving up an incredible amount, and we glamorize it, and when we glamorize it, we diminish how difficult it is. And I think you're actually disrespecting the job because I'm like, if you really want to be a Lulu Lemon mom, trust me as somebody that has three kids. You're managing schedules, you'll go to titles, you're driving from one part of time to another. The kid is sick, you have to be home with it. Sure you're wearing lelu Lemon, but you're barely at the gym. If you're trying to be a good parent and a good homemaker, it's an incredible sacrifice. So I think it's kind of this fantasy that is just like I'm going to be there with my Stanley Cup and then my Lulu Langman and my Aloe Yonga and just I'm like, no, I go to bar with women who are stay at home mothers and it's like they're one treat in the depth. They're like that brief out and then they're dashing off and they're like, oh, I can only do this now because my youngest is in the elementary school, because before that, I was completely devoted to the home. So I think it's a way of like undermining the work that women who are working within the home are doing in a way. I'm not a say of a mother, but I have friends who are, and they are incredible and it's really hard. So it's you're indulging in a fantasy. And secondly, you're not acknowledging the risks of that decision.
Speaker 3: It is for risks.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, if you are going to do it, make sure you have a husband that contributes to you. I'm an account has stuffing, writing, et cetera, et cetera. So should it go left, you're still taking care of because you are contributing to your household and you should have some sort of tangible benefits. It's like this world where you do everything for a man, including raising his children, and you're paying for it in some way, it just doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: What's interesting to me is I have a friend who's a woman who sort of had the opposite experience.
Speaker 4: Divorced her husband. She was working the whole time.
Speaker 1: They didn't have a prenup and she had to pay him, and she was like, I can't believe I have to pay this, like do nothing.
Speaker 3: I would to kill myself.
Speaker 1: I had to like think about my gender expectation.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's happening. I know women paying aliba, they'll be careful, I know, but.
Speaker 1: We think about it differently because women are contributing at home. The man usually the last.
Speaker 2: When is like, if you are a man under the patriarchy, you should be making more money than me.
Speaker 3: So what is wrong with you that I am paying you? You can fail? Like the system is? This is so funny.
Speaker 2: I'm not into you know, this lonely man epidemic like everyone's talking about like feels I'm like, the world is set up for you succeed a baby.
Speaker 3: You're not managing to do that? Really, what is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: But I feel bad for them?
Speaker 3: Why then don't feel bad for you.
Speaker 1: I know they don't feel bad for me at all.
Speaker 3: Why do you feel back for that?
Speaker 1: I think when there's such a large group of people that are struggling, like something is going wrong and I don't want to see them struggle.
Speaker 2: But the data is showing that the group struggling most in America right now, black women lost the most jobs. Like if you look at the statistics, like all the data indicates like this idea that there is like this lost boy, struggling man in a pandemic. But when you really dig into their data, who was pushed out of the workforce post COVID those mothers who became caretakers, right, and then a lot of those women never went back to the workplace, whereas men are in the workplace.
Speaker 3: So some of it is like this men.
Speaker 2: However, there are men among us who are struggling for different reasons. But you are struggling because of the patriarchy, So help us take it down, right? I think interesting feminism has an answer to that question because feminism has always been concerned about the liberation of all people, including men. Because they see the patriarchy damage is me, We're like, yeah, the idea that you can't cry.
Speaker 3: And you have to hide your feelings. You're supposed to be like this.
Speaker 2: That's not good, that's not healthy. I'm a woman, so we have an answer to that question. We're trying to create a world and a future, but that doesn't exist. And it's like, I'm raising my son. I hope he are feminist when he grows up. I don't know if he will be. But like, also, my son's very creative. He likes pats, you know, he likes music. I'm allowing him face to do that. And I want a world where my son and my daughters can thrive. However, I know just by the nature and the mechanisms of this world, yeah, it's set up in a way that it's easier for my son to thrive. Or if my daughter makes different choices, she's couldn't be judged for them, Like if my daughters grow up and decide to be child three.
Speaker 3: I know women who feel that they're not trusted because they don't have kids.
Speaker 2: But then if you do have kids, you take a career, knot whereas when men's wives have children their salaries to go up.
Speaker 3: How can we feel sorry for these men? Dan?
Speaker 1: Now, I know I agree with you. I mean in the workplace one hundred percent. I guess it's less about men and it's more about the suffering of people. And I'm like, not a zero sum game. And I think for years you were right to your point, like feminists been saying we want a quality for all, and I see the human suffering. Maybe I got into the mythology of the Scott Galloway.
Speaker 2: Women are suffering way more. I would say, I don't like oppression Olympic stuff. I think suffering is valid. And even when we speak about men, we can't treat them as a monolith.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The experience of a young gay boy in certain parts of this country, like there's a cute suffering. If you're in the Bible Belt and you're gay, sure you're about to be a man.
Speaker 3: But if you have an intersectional lens, you know, like even what.
Speaker 1: Well, the closer you are the femininity, the more we hate you exactly.
Speaker 2: Well we know that like among black men and police brutality. So I'm being flippant, but it's just like even when we dig into men, say, wle, men have certain experiences, You're are divergent. Men have certain experiences, So there are men that are oppressed to So I'm like, you know, from a completely structural perspective, I acknowledge that, and I feel that we need to create a world, but it makes it easier for them. However, I don't necessarily like buy into this refrain that I think media and culture are selling us now, like we have to be so concerned with these lost boys and men, and I'm like, but what about the women who haven't even solved for that yet?
Speaker 3: And then we're worse off. That's kind of my art.
Speaker 1: So Dick Cheney was famously anti LGBTQ for years until his daughter came out as a lesbian and he switched his position. And I think about that all the time because oftentimes people who like don't want to deal with the words of patriarchy and oppression and all the buzzwords in our culture right now are people who haven't had to have the experience of being part of any of those groups. What do you say to the person listening who's like, I'm exhausted by the buzzwords.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am too expletely relatable, Like these words are accurate descriptions, but like, you know, I speak about it a lot of my work about how this has been kind of this trafficking of academic language. It's very rich and very important, and it's made its way until I've like general cultural lexicon in a way that like people of resisting right. And sometimes it's because maybe the way those ideas are expressed, no one likes to be spoken down.
Speaker 3: It's just not a nice experience.
Speaker 2: If you hear somebody using this new term and they're telling me you're a bad person and you don't even know the term. There's this reflexive like get that away from me, and I think we're living in the backlash to that. But words mean things, and it's always good to learn new words and we use them the right way. They can actually be like real tools of connection.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean. I don't use the word gentrification. I'll actually explain it it.
Speaker 2: I'll be like, yeah, rental rising because people with more money are moving into this neighborhood. Because once you say gentrification, people go, oh, I don't want to hear it. But if you say it like that, it's like very legible to people. So I'm sick of the over use of the words. But I also think the words are really important. It's just like, how do we use these terms and do we use them in a way that it feels accessible to people and people could understand and people are like, okay, now.
Speaker 3: I can use that word, right, So it's not other in some way, it's not other in someone.
Speaker 1: It's just like a definition.
Speaker 3: It's just a definition. That's what all are.
Speaker 2: Because what often happens is then you take the word and you start using it as a slurp, like di starting calling people deis, And it's just like it's been weaponized in a way that I find really sad, right, because if you look at like the intention behind it, it's like I was just like making a more inclusive well where more of us can work and be happy and our workplaces are more comfortable for everyone, but it went less.
Speaker 3: So I understand that.
Speaker 2: Fatigued with the words, I'm just like, okay, how can we find a way to add cultural thinkers or pseudo academics like myself being like less pretentious? Right, And then people like feel like, okay, I can get into this. I wouldn't necessarily use this word usually, but oh this is helpful. This is helping me understand the phenomenon that exists in everyday life.
Speaker 1: That's probably the best reply. I've broken that as well, said, yeah, okay, do some twenty twenty six pop culture predictions for it years?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Do you think we're heading into a more un hopeful year or a more chaotic culturally speaking?
Speaker 2: I think people's appetite that chaos is waiting, Like people are really fatigue. So I see people being drawn to things that are like more kind of hopeful, upworthy. Remember that website. I see people leaning more into that because it's just the algorithm's version of just like AOL sort of.
Speaker 3: I do think you've got to tie it so there'll be more.
Speaker 1: Is there a cultural conversation that we've been avoiding that you think will erupt this year?
Speaker 2: I don't know which one it will be, but I think humans were very weird, like we like to zoning on one thing. I think there's going to be a new frontier of whatever the cultural war is supposed to be. I don't know what it is going to be, but it feels like something's coming.
Speaker 1: What do you think we're underestimating about AI's effect on culture.
Speaker 3: I think that people don't realize that.
Speaker 2: Maybe its because I have a lot of mum friends I'm in a group with three of my closest friends in high school, and they can't stand because every time they use AI, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like judging them. I'm like, girls, what is wrong with you? Stop it?
Speaker 2: But I'm realizing as a tool, it's like something that people are really integrating into their everyday life. So even me, who's kind of like an AI skeptic, I'm like, oh, this is like a habit that's become embedded in a way that, like, you know, when Alexa first came into the homes, you were just like, oh, that's weird. You're not going to be like, Alexa, what's the time. But now you're like, wait, Coop, You're like, Alexa, what's the time?
Speaker 3: Alexa? Can you play this song for me?
Speaker 2: So I think we're underestimating how much it's already becoming part of people's daily routine. And it's beyond like cheating to write essays. But I think that's what everyone talks about. It's just like people are using it as like an adjunct tool to make their lives easier.
Speaker 3: I'm becoming increasingly dependent on How do.
Speaker 1: You think the political climate of twenty twenty six is going to shape pop culture?
Speaker 2: I think that for the last year there's been a real nervousness about making art that is hostile to this administration. The fear of life I have you show me and taking off air, losing track, like there's real fear. I think the death of Charlie Kirk was a really instructive moment about like what can people say it?
Speaker 3: Now? Do people say it?
Speaker 2: But I think in the coming year there's going to be a lot of irreverence because that's where the movie is going. Because even within the camp that's favorable to the current administration, there's a lot of fracturing, like they don't all feel the same. Like there's a lot of infighting now, and I think that infighting is going to create a space. But like people like oh, I could say what I want, I'm going to do what I want because the people that would police me and try and get me canceled, you know, like the reverse cancel culture whatever you would have caught it, they're fighting.
Speaker 1: I see that happening already.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I think it's just more irreverence and it's just making art that is perhaps more I don't know, punk, And I think that's the influence of like AI because now it needs to feel human and tangible, and it needs to feel different, and so you're just going to make things that are like irreverent, provocative and just feel like real.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A twenty four is like a well known production company and they make a lot of mainstream indie films for anyone listening who's not familiar, and they've been around for a while, but they're having such a moment and I think it's because of that feels human, right, feels real. It's gritty, Yeah, pretty Okay. You write that there's a popular theory among a certain type of critic that we're in a time of cultural stasis. Yes, what does that mean?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm going to cite W. David Mark.
Speaker 2: He's written a book called A Blank Space, which I'm reading right now, which is great.
Speaker 3: And you're just talking about like how we got to this point.
Speaker 2: Where all the stars, all the thing, like, nothing seemed to have changed for the last fifteen years. We went back fifteen years and were like, who are all the famous people? They are all the famous people today. There's this idea that culture, particularly culture is the evolving and growing and we're not seeing any new stars and new genres. It's everything so derivative. I do think that's happened, like I think it's changing. I think people want something new. And the way I don't see changing is like the influence of space. They all look the same. I'm to the point where I can't tell my influences apart. I don't know if you feel that way.
Speaker 1: All the ones I follow are wearing the same spec And I.
Speaker 2: Want to search somebody's handle because you know, sometimes you follow someone who you like to get their names.
Speaker 3: They want to get their name because.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you're like, oh, i'd like this person. TikTok isn't showing them to me anything. Yeah, I like to a dog or whatever it is. But you're like, what's their name?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And back in the day, I knew all the greatest things, like I knew their handles off here and I could type it onto YouTube.
Speaker 3: I knew where to fan.
Speaker 2: But now like maybe it's cause also TikTok is not a chronological experience. The flow isn't there. But it's just like I don't remember anyone's names. It's just like it's this kind of monoculture and the influencer. So I think in the influencial world. It'll stay like that, yeah, because the algorithm kind of needs that. But I think in music and in fashion, I see a bit, you know.
Speaker 3: More texture and change.
Speaker 1: Do you think celebrities will get more political or retreat from politics in twenty twenty six?
Speaker 2: You can be political without being ideological. For instance, homelessness, it feels like a political foruse. I just don't think there.
Speaker 3: Should be people on the street like we need better housing.
Speaker 2: It's a political cause, but it's not ideological, right, And so I think people align themselves more like political pauses like homelessness and feeding the needy and food back, you know, stuff that it is just like political causes, but can extensively to be seeing as ideological neutral. I think people are going to wear their ideology less and less because I think a lot of people don't know what to believe and they're afraid to be identified as either left or right, you know. But I think celebrities will continue to embrace pauses you can't get in trouble, for like cat fostering dogs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dogs like oh, dop the dog, and if I was like, oh, I love that, everyone loves the dogs.
Speaker 2: Right, So I think there's going to be more of the cause stuff that feels vaguely political but it's not ideological. Are we going to be more into celebrity or less more into celebrity because I think people just have this yearning to worship something, and we know our civic institutions are going you know, people don't go.
Speaker 3: To like temple cynical churches anymore. Like you need that need to like venerate and gather still exists. I think they'll be like more club shallamaings, but.
Speaker 2: Making fan clubs, so that makes sense, Like the fang crub is going to come and to have the ban crub, you need the celebrity to be a fan, you know.
Speaker 3: What I mean.
Speaker 2: I know this contidence my argument about the downfall of celebrity, but I think that will return well.
Speaker 1: Because there's community in it. Yeah, which people are crazy.
Speaker 3: Or meet up around a person, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So great because I want to meet someone who has a similar interest.
Speaker 2: Interests, right, So I think that celebrities are like a great wonduit for that being like, oh, we're all into this celebrity or all into this band, and we're like the fan club of that in this town, and we're going to meet up at this coffee shop once a month because what we're a fan of this. I think people had that need for real work connection and celebrities are a great device to do that because I've made so many friends because of like, oh, we all have housewives or born into Beyonce.
Speaker 3: We're going to see that.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Beyonce, I know you're a fan.
Speaker 3: I'm a great, big fan.
Speaker 1: You've said that we might be seeing the beginning of Beyonce's farewell to her fans lay out the other Christian.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it's just a function of she's getting older, right, And I don't know how your parents are, but I'm looking for my parents and aging and my dad retired this year, and you're just like, I'm getting older, right, And so the time you like tall Air sing, there's that element of it. I think that she's laying out these acts and action Free is coming, and that feels like, you know, she's very intentional. I think, so the three of those albums are supposed to be experienced together. And then I'm just like, it feels like a Vegas residency. It feels like a retirement tour, going to Cowboy Tater, going to that tour and like how much archival footage there was from her childhood. I was like it felt like the beginning of a third Well. I think she's always going to exist, kind of going to be like a Diana Ross. And the remarkable thing about Beyonce is that she's been you know, famous for decades that she's still not a legacy act. You're like a contemporary act that like changes culture. She's exiting state but doing it very gracefully on her terms.
Speaker 1: Reality TV is not dying, it's definitely mutating. What's it mutating into?
Speaker 2: The new frontier seems to be like the tip top blog, the YouTube blog, as almost people self producing their reality shirts. Yeah, you know, whether it's like a weight loss journey, whether it's a grief journey, whether it's like moving to another part of the world. It's kind of like self produced reality TV. That feels a bit different from a vlog because they're kind of borrowing like reality TV, they're not filming themselves. It's like they actually have like mini crews almost, like especially like the more professionalized family blogs that just feel like now I'm not watching a reality TV show.
Speaker 3: Immediately, I may be like.
Speaker 2: Let me go on TikTok and watch this series on like who the fuck did I marry? Or The Danish Deception, or like you know, when people tell their true life stories, it kind of feels like the reality TV vacation the New Frontier of it, and you're like, Okay, I'd rather watch that because it's so compelling rather than like another episode of reality TV where you just know someone's gonna throw a drink.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: The celebrity apology. What's the new PR playbook.
Speaker 2: It's doing an interview, We're going to reference an actress who won't mention Okay, well you kind of vaguely APOLOGI, but you were an outright apologize. I have a friend who's like very anti celebrity apologies. He's just like they're just the most stupid thing, because he's like, who are you apologizing to? Like, if you did something to a person personally, you should apologize to that person. She's like apologizing to the massive ever works because when she was mad. But I think celebrities are probably going to be more careful to avoid being the situation where you need to issue that kind of apology because they never really were.
Speaker 1: Trump changed it too, because he's anti apology. It's just like teft one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you keep going, there's something to it. And then people are like, you're breaking the social norm. Okay, what can we do? Nothing?
Speaker 1: Will we cancel The concept of cancel culture, you.
Speaker 3: Know, it was always kind of overstated.
Speaker 2: I think like the first or instance online was like the Justin Saccho, like the playing feet that went out and you know, she lost her job, but in the end she got her job again, which I think was like instructive of like what cancel culture is. Kevin Spacey recently spoke at the Oxford Union. Time has always shown that these people that were cancer figured it out eventually.
Speaker 4: Those curious to see if Dinny does that, oh I.
Speaker 3: Think he will.
Speaker 1: He will do Yeah, he's still got fanser society.
Speaker 3: Re enter society. I think.
Speaker 2: Have you watched the documentary, so you see those scenes where people know he's probably going to be arrested soon and they still want to take pictures with him. And they've seen the Cassie video. Remember all these people asking the pictures with they were all men.
Speaker 1: They were all men because women see that video. I almost didn't watch the doc because I was like, I can't see but.
Speaker 2: You talk to women offline and if you look in the comments, if you look in the comments at women that I like he was there, like you know that feeling that like, oh, there's a guy called Armon Wiggins is one of the bloggers. He followed the trial and he said something interesting was like people just see it as luxury abuse and kind of everyone gets abuse and you've got the luxury, you know, Like, I think there is an element of that, and then you obviously the settlement. I think that there is a world where did he rehabilitates himself and says he the family man does church and that's forgiveness and there is going to be a part of Hollywood in the mold of the world.
Speaker 3: You're just like, yeah, yeah, if you're back. I mean, Oja was able to come back.
Speaker 1: Right, there's a rapid fire. Okay, who's the most interesting person in culture right now?
Speaker 3: To you?
Speaker 1: Lauren Sanchez Fass a celebri public figure that people underestimate. Sidney Sweeney, a celebrit public figure people overestimate Sydney Sweeney.
Speaker 4: What's your most controversial pop culture opinion?
Speaker 2: Jennifer Lopez is probably one of the most masterfully delusional and wonderful entertainments we've ever seen.
Speaker 1: The smartest decision that you've ever made, marrying something that every woman should try once.
Speaker 3: I'm so boring. I haven't tried anything.
Speaker 1: You don't have to have tried it yourself.
Speaker 3: Oh, I have shrewths. Apparently they say I'm too scared to do it, but I've been told true.
Speaker 1: So many people have said drugs is the answer to that question. What's the most radical thing you've ever done for your own life that has nothing to do with work?
Speaker 3: Okay, choosing to have three kids that you.
Speaker 1: Were going to say moving to la I love your answer. Why is it radical?
Speaker 2: Because I knew what it would perhaps do to my life, like the kind of unsettling. But I did it anyway. I could see it wouldn't be easy. I did it anyway. And I think that's a radical thing because normally, yes, the conservative choice is like the path of least resistance versus the radical choice is like the thing it's hard in hindsight.
Speaker 1: What was your cost benefit analysis?
Speaker 3: I don't know. You have to turn out no, they're great.
Speaker 4: Well part of yourself? Did you have to unlearn to become the woman that you are sitting here?
Speaker 3: I had to like let go of needing people to agree with me.
Speaker 2: That's where I'm and to actually let go of I'm a very community person and I have very progressive politics, and for a long time it was like those bad people over there that have a different view of me. And now I realize, in order to be effective and maybe get people to see a different point of view, I need to be able to connect with people that are different from me and that they don't actually agree with.
Speaker 3: And that's very hard because that's not how I naturally operate.
Speaker 2: But once I was able to get into that mentality, it's just I think mainly a person that has worked that is actually able to bring lots of different people in a way that I think is made really important.
Speaker 1: It is, and it's rare. You have a very diverse fan base.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they would never get on.
Speaker 2: I have like trumpers, I have Mormon wives, I have like queer folks, I have like black radical femis. I think I have a very broad audience that in theory should not get on, but they come back to my work and I think we need more of that.
Speaker 3: I'm not even like going to com by.
Speaker 2: Our way that I think is unhealthy that kind of Obama perpetuated, but more in a way of just like, we need to figure this stuff out, right, So where are the places where there are big tenants and everyone can be under them and just work through the issues of our time?
Speaker 1: So well said, what's a book that you read that changed your life? Something you think everybody should?
Speaker 3: Really? I always recommend the warmth of other s. Why Isabella?
Speaker 1: She's one of my favorite writers, brilliant. She's British right, No, not no, she just lives in London.
Speaker 3: I don't know if she lives in London.
Speaker 1: I've tried to interview her so many times, and it seems on her website that she lives.
Speaker 3: That's funny.
Speaker 1: Okay, will you grab the question everything card game and pick whichever card.
Speaker 3: Comes to you. This is not Tara right. My mom wasn't like that.
Speaker 1: No, I'm prompt. It's just a random question.
Speaker 3: Okay, do you can't thrive? Will die in your die?
Speaker 1: The only thing I keep alive on my kids barely even succulents dye in my carriage. Yeah yeah, Christiana, I could talk to you for so long, and in the interest of your time, I'm going to end the interview. But thank you for this.
Speaker 3: This has been so fun.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day to have a good day. I'll see you next week
Speaker 3: Shop sup.