Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts, Barry Church, Danny McCrae, Heckma Harrison, and new he Scruggs.
Speaker 3: Play loud off season.
Speaker 4: Let's right, Danny Harrison, Barry Church Scrugs. Brought to you by Tostitos. Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen. Always a lot to talk about here. Yeah, all season doesn't end, baby league. He is about to come around here. CAP's gonna have to get a place here, So contract's got to be redone renewed.
Speaker 5: We'll start off with with with my guy, Tamo Sam Sam.
Speaker 3: Seventy seventh sh Tyer Smith reports.
Speaker 4: Coming out saying, Hey Cowboys, Tyrs Smith didn't I weren't able to come together on a contract. He's going to be a restrict unrestricted free agent, and that this is most likely going to be it.
Speaker 3: Tyring was second team All Pro.
Speaker 4: His agent as any agent should, Hey, my guy, second team All Pro?
Speaker 3: That contract last year where I played a game in the game. That doesn't work for us that's what your agent should do. Yep, Cowboys, it come up with a deal at all, and I just want to make sure I put it out here first. What a thank Tyre.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that's fantastic career.
Speaker 4: Fantastic career, coming out of the USC taking ninth overall. Started right tackle, went to left tackle. Fantastic year. Uh, fantastic career, and last year fantastic year. Thought he'd have a good year. He had a good year. But thank you, and you got to move on. You got a left tackle now, Tyler Smith moves over to the left tack. You drafted him to be a left tackle. I talked to Will McLay last year, said that's what we did. We drafted him to be a left tackle. So moves on over there. And of course you know you want to go to left tackle because that's where the money. So you kick him on out there. Whoever side signs Tiring, good luck to him. You go in the draft and you go find someone else. So I just set my piece on seven seven.
Speaker 2: Look, listen if it is the end, because you know a lot of stranger things have happened, So if it is the end, Tiring has had a hell of a career here, I don't think it's over. I mean I think the recipe has been put out there, like, hey, this is what you got to do to make sure that this guy is able to play at the top Knights level and that he's healthy. Limit the practices, make sure that you keep them out of harm's way and let him be healthy for the game. And he's gonna go out there and be one of the best left tackles in the game. So I think he still has has has some left in the tank. But like I said, if it's the last, last, last hoo rock for him here, last season, Hall of Fame career here, uh, game changing left tackle for over a decade, So shout out to him. But you know what this is gonna sound crazy. Still, I would have took him back, told you I said last week, I would have money aside. I'm just talking about you know, said money aside him as a player. And now, after all those years then finally figuring out how to get it done, I would have said, hey, man, we didn't. We didn't finally figured out the magic sauce. Okay, so now we go to make sure that we use the sauce. And we got us a second team All Pro left tackle for the next however many years he felt like he wants to play. Are you telling the truth when you say Tyrn Smith has been in all time like top ten left tackle in this league. Oh yeah, you know, and all of the the accolades, everything that he's accomplished in the league. Actually you know it. But I look at a guy played for the Rams and played for also played for the Cincinnati Bengals before number seventy with big wit right unless you got it. Yeah, So it played a long time in the league and then finally goes to another team he ends up winning them a ring. And I'm sure for Tyran that's what That's what all these that's what everybody covets. You know, winning a super Bowl Hall of Fame is gonna be fine, but winning the Super Bowl and maybe he feels like I'm in that position now to be able to look at the full gamut of all the teams that are out there and pick and choose where I want to go. I'm with you, Knwie when you say, look, you've had a fine career, but we've drafted the guy to be the air parent and we understand from watching him play that he's that guy and he can make that move. I think for the Cowboys they have to move on in this situation. There are some guys that getting longer than two on the offensive line. I loath the day when we have to have this conversation about Zach Martin because again you're talking about one of the best to do it in the league. But it's time. It's time. And it was also going back to Jason Whitten. When Jason Whitten was playing those final years and not allowing it for guys to develop in front of him. That's another situation. And I think you look at Tyler and the success that he's had playing guard. Can he make the adjustment out to left tackle is what I'm sure this organization wants to see, and I trust without having the time, proof and consistency that he do it. No, this, this is this is surprising to me.
Speaker 5: You know, first off, echo everything you guys said about his Hall of Fame career, because we all know he was one of the greatest left tackles to ever do it in the game. But this is surprising for me because you know, when was the last time we saw you know this, Dallas Cowboys organization, let an all time great, you know, go away. We'll just kind of walk away from their organization. I mean you go from the Jason Wittens, Uh, you know, Romo was here for forever. I mean you're looking at guys that have been here and their main stage was with the Dallas Cowboys, and we see them, like you said, you know, kind of be that blocker, and the Cowboys keep bringing them back. So to me, this is surprising, and maybe it's you know, going in a different direction for the Cowboys as an organization to say, hey, we gotta you know, we gotta keep this thing turning, we gotta keep it rolling. So I'm surprised when it comes to that regard that they let him slide.
Speaker 2: But when it comes to Tyron Smith on a new team, I don't.
Speaker 5: Know if he's gonna be able to do that that recipe, Like, I don't know if he's gonna be able to say, hey man, I'm just no camp for me. You know, I'm just gonna practice, you know, maybe on Fridays on half days, because you got to learn that system. That whole news, how they like to block the power, how they like to pass protect you know, what is their communication out there with the center.
Speaker 2: How is he pointing things out? So I don't know if he's going to be able to do that recipe.
Speaker 5: And but we'll see going forward because we know if he does a practice during the week of plays in the game, the guys are all start, the guys are the second.
Speaker 2: Team off pro. So we'll see what happens with him going forward.
Speaker 5: But like you guys all said, I mean, he had a Hall of Fame career here and his mustards are So.
Speaker 2: My thing is also this okay, because I know last week we talked about I watched the rams and then put all the players in the right position and give up draft picks and do all this stuff. And that's what I don't know. We'll get to all in, but this is just that sounds like sounds like so to me, what all in sounds like is you have a hell of a player left guard, you have a hell of a player left tackle, and you're just looking for the other pieces to be able to fill in. So this could be your all in season and then now you got to go find you somebody on that left side when you already got the left side shirted up and you have some other pieces that you could have you know, been focused on. But you know, just it is what it is. Where you gonna put them coins at? You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 5: Like, you know, I don't know what number he was asking for, whatever he wanted that left tackle, but you know where are you going to allocate those dollars to? Do you think it's more important that you know, take that money and give it.
Speaker 2: To you know, running back out there? Like do you think it's gonna be that much more impactful? Oh? You think that's the case with with four, which it could be.
Speaker 5: It could be with four out there, and we all know the quarterback position is the most important position on.
Speaker 2: The football field.
Speaker 5: But if you ain't got nobody holding down that blind side, how much of an impact can four have out there? So it's gonna be interesting where they where they decide to put these dollars.
Speaker 2: What's more interesting to me is from the center and guard position. If you move in Tyler Smith out to tackle, what are you gonna do with be Odish? Do you sign him to a new contract, do you let him walk? Or do you go into Because then if you go into the draft for the center and the guard position, then you're you're not fortifying, you're weakening your offensive line now with rookies that have no experience, so free agency, then you're looking to bring in an offensive lineman if you don't sign be Odish and so, look, we're starting to meet musical chairs early. And I appreciate that rather than doing it during the season. But I think something something had to change, Something had to change, and you know, being to me, in a perfect world, re signing be Oddish and then going out and getting the guard would be the move. If I had a rookie guard there, I would feel better about that having him in between Beotish and Smith versus do you like I like it? And to think about Idoga, Adoga was a guard and not a tackle, and we made him play tackle. So that's like, that's the mystery to all of that because he was playing out a position early in the season. He did a good job. He did a good job, and so I understand the organizations is basically saying, look, timing's long in the tooth man. We need to try and move on down down the road and find something better here. I think Tyler Smith is the heir apparent. They get an opportunity to look at that now start doing it your way, where you're talking about going all in finding those other pieces. I think the hesitancy that I have on that is we know that anything can happen, and if anything does happen, then we're back to square one. And then my question is this, if he goes out, he tests the market and he state taxes may be a little different, the numbers not what he what he had hoped. It'll be. Oh, this is home, he's been there for a long time. Then I believe, like, do you think that Jerry says, all right, wait, well come on back, big fellow, and then we'll we'll hold it off for one more year, and Tyler you go ahead and staying there Lett left guard and we got our We got our guy at the right price over the price that we think is fair, and then you move on, move on from that point. Or do you think it's just hey, man, hey, thank you for your services. You've been great. Here, you be in the ring of honor. But we're gonna move on with with Tyler Smiths all left tackle. Man. I think that's I think that there would still be a market for Tyrn Smith. I think there's a team out there. I think there's a team. Now I think that wont them. I mean, I mean from what we heard. I mean, like we said, we don't know the number that he's asked, but it seems like it may be high. So it could be a market, so it could be a work it out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got right again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in a league that is starving for offensive lineman and you go to the new team.
Speaker 3: Hey, how did I play as many games as I did?
Speaker 4: I don't. I don't practice during the week. They get me ready to go. Are you good with that? This is the way we can get the most out of the player. I've just looked up franchise tags. Off it's the line of twenty million dollars twenty point nine. So if I'm the agent, okay, we're looking to get here. If you're the Cowboys, are you looking to get there?
Speaker 2: You know what I do. What's the what's the minimum at his at the year? No? No, no, minimum, I's got it. It's gotta what five six, gotta be So you so when you're looking at the number, you at least you're at least on minimum, which you're not going to pay the guy saying whatever that is and then so it's the difference between that twenty and then whatever the minimum is what you know you're not gonna be able to pay him. So I think, I think when you look at the market and say, well, how much are you willing to pay a left tackle that much? I think he's worth that much. I think the injury thing, just because he played one full season is still gonna be something. What team says, you know what, I can't I can't give you a two year, Well, Mike Images got fifty two fifty. You know what I'm saying. I'm guarantee the whole.
Speaker 3: Whole primise too of you basically playing per game.
Speaker 2: Hey, you're healthy.
Speaker 3: If I'm tired, that's a no start. No, no, no, We're not so those things.
Speaker 4: Hey man, you got that last year that was a freebe were not doing that anymore. And I get it on Tyrannt's part, but I also get the Cowboys part. And Danny, you went through that negotiations class when you were working on the NBA and you get to that.
Speaker 3: Point, what is the bottom line where you say this.
Speaker 2: Is the floor.
Speaker 4: If I'm tying, I have to have guarantees. I'm not playing game to game I need guaranteed money. I finished second team All Pro. While I may not need twenty one, I need something up here to compensates me for what I do and what I have done. And if you're the Cowboys, as you're trying to pay Dak Prescott, as you're trying to pay CD Lamb, as you know Michael Parsons is coming up over here, everybody can't get paid.
Speaker 3: You got also diggi Zoo some point he's got to get paid. Deron Bland.
Speaker 4: So as much as I like Tyron Smith and you know I love some seven to seven, this thing starts to become financial.
Speaker 3: And as I'm looking at the finances and.
Speaker 4: He's probably gonna be able to get a two year deal from somebody, you'll just want to do a one. That's why I am the opinion I'll let I'll let him go. I'll put Tyler Smith there.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: When you talk about the center, I'm going out to go try to draft. I want a bigger center, Okay, that's what I want. I want a bigger center. We saw Biatis come in here and play as a rookie. We saw Travis Frederick come in here and play as rookie.
Speaker 3: You can do that. The kid hump free up there at Kansas City, I think it was went to Kansas State. But that kid. You've seen rookies do this.
Speaker 4: The guy in Baltimore, his name was talked about a few years ago and the Cowboys didn't get him all pro. So you can find somebody to do this. Plus you've got a Zach Martin on one side to help a young player out.
Speaker 3: If it's odougo over there.
Speaker 4: You're not gonna have five perfect dudes, but you're if you run out. Tyler Smith, Zach Martin, Terrence Steele. Those are three really good ones. When you start looking across the league. We can go ahead and plug some holes. It's not gonna be perfect, but you cannot go in, in my opinion, not improving the run game.
Speaker 3: You were fifteenth and rushing last year.
Speaker 2: It ain't good enough.
Speaker 4: It was anybody happy with Tony Pollo's production and the running back.
Speaker 2: Present, no serve, no, not at all. But the names that you when you say Travis Frederick, all right, let's let's take his name and put him up all right somewhere else, all right, Because they're talking about another guy that comes in and is a great at his position right, And I think sometimes we get it confused when we start mixing those names up or thinking that a guy is the equivalent of another guy. I never said beyondish was that and out of necessity if we have to bring in having a Beyondish, I'm almost like, for who for what? Especially if we have a guy that we already know what he is, what his strengths, what his weaknesses are, and what essentially is he asking for now? It's been an embarrassment of riches here for years where we've had five across the board, like no other team in the NFL has that. The Super Bowl champion didn't even have that. So, look, we're talking about the good guys that we have. I'm okay with that. I'm just talking about where we have the weaknesses in our offensive line. I just don't feel like smack dab in the middle is where you want to go with two rookies right there, That's all.
Speaker 4: So I did some research on West Virginia's Zach Fraser.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so call the.
Speaker 4: Contact up there when you're playing a big twelve. I said, what if the Cowboys to be said the Cowboys got him in the second round? He said, he's bigger then be Oddish wider can hold it better. Said, he's an excellent character guy, said one of the guys that we had here is he did everything we want and he's got position flex.
Speaker 2: That is where that's the kind of player you are, right, That's what I'm thinking. No, absolutely, if you could go on.
Speaker 3: The second round and go get yourself a starting center.
Speaker 4: Who's bigger, because we won't talking about with Hey, nice player, but boy, you know you can get on passing.
Speaker 3: This is what I'm talking at. A high character guy.
Speaker 4: And I'm saving money because, by the way, when you talk about bringing Tyler back, we gonna get paid too.
Speaker 2: Right, What does he want to get paid? And that's that's that's that's a million dollar question. What does he want to get paid? Does it shake up your market? Is it something that's comparable and fair? I'm Tyler be Oddish is not going in there pounding the table saying I want to be the highest paid center in the NFL or reset the market with my contract.
Speaker 3: All right, so I come back.
Speaker 2: If he is, then I knew it. Hey, all right, behind you, I count this.
Speaker 3: We saw Conner Williams.
Speaker 4: You go to Dolphins and Connor Williams has been been a beoutter player at the center position.
Speaker 3: He's a he's a good player.
Speaker 4: But I'm not gonna pay him because I feel if you do, and we all, I think we're all in agreement. The Cowboys know how to draft offensive live. Yes, we talked about this with running backs all the time. Amen, just move on. You can do that with a center and when he's watching. We have seen where rookies have been able to come in and we have seen now two guys who were former guards for the Cowboys go over the teams to play some.
Speaker 3: Center and do just fine.
Speaker 2: Is that the other Connor went to Buffalo He played well too.
Speaker 3: That's so, so he's he's he's a good player.
Speaker 4: But as I'm trying to look and pay these other cela, he's not just trying to get.
Speaker 2: A new right. I mean, but you really don't have an argument for that, right.
Speaker 3: So he's not just coming in, Hey man, make me the average high is paid.
Speaker 2: No, he's coming in strong.
Speaker 4: So that's where as I'm looking to save dollars, Hey, hey bro, I gotta go right right, and and that's that to me is where you have to That's where that's why I'm looking at a guy like Zach Frazer. Let me go in the draft to do this. I wouldn't be shocked just to see a trade down. Really, if you're sitting in one and you think you've got several players that you could move if you pick up a four because you have a four because of the trade lanes deal. So if you can move down pick up a three or four, and and also you know, get gets get two guys in the in the second round, that could be something to think about as you're trying to plug holes and pay.
Speaker 3: People and feelings.
Speaker 4: What's the old eighty twenty rule you about to have, you know, eighty percent of the roster taken up by just a few dudes, So you got to.
Speaker 2: Get I want to know what talk about? We could we talking about your picks getting taken in on the first round the second round. What is he thinking right now? Is it free agency that he has some guys that he's looking at, or is it hey man, we need to figure this out in the draft because I'm still looking at the same thing we've been looking at it which one is more important? I know we need to show up the run game, but that ain't been our problem for the last four years, three years. It's been the opposite side of hey man. When teams come in here, they know that if they can run the ball on us, that we are going to have a hard time beating them. And they have been able to consistently run the ball on us. So I know, we you know, we want the offensive line and all that stuff, and we did take a shot at the defensive line last year. So hopefully Zima can get his hands on Monzie Smith and they could get something figured out. But we like to me it is upfront on the defense that is the most important.
Speaker 3: Let's get a break here. And I love what you're saying.
Speaker 4: I love what you're saying is he's watching some of these match because we have a couple folks. So let us have about where running fall two one? Where do you see the bead versus fantasy football?
Speaker 2: We do that.
Speaker 3: It's a ferry church, hech ma Jamim Krabnew. This play is loud by Shields on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Maty.
Speaker 6: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, Your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 2: Hi. I'm Danny McCrae, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King, and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our smoothie bowls into two new decking and flavors. Dig into a cool ia e or Ptaya bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel drizzled perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to much. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors only as Smoothie King, the official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys to.
Speaker 7: Kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more.
Speaker 8: The bowld unique apparel of the.
Speaker 7: Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting.
Speaker 8: What it truly means to be a boss.
Speaker 7: Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com, and at Boss retail stores hashtag be.
Speaker 8: Your own Boss.
Speaker 9: There is no eye in Dallas. There is no eye in heart, either no eye in blue star or a lone star for that matter, And there's no eye in How about them Cowboys smear enough?
Speaker 2: Nos, There's no eye in football.
Speaker 9: Football is a wee thing and experience that is best enjoyed together with good drinks and good folks. Home we're away, we rally together, we cry together, and we always rally cry together because there's definitely no eye in Cowboys. Fans smearingough we do game days. Please drink responsibly.
Speaker 1: Back to the players loude.
Speaker 2: Register now for the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboy Youth Camp presented by in Visit Line. That's co Athleets of all skill levels, ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best this summer at Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. Football camps are led by former NFL players, and dance camps are taught by current Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. Register before May seventeenth to save twenty five dollars or visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash camps.
Speaker 4: All right, het Ma Harrison, appreciate you players louds brought to you by Toastitos, Barry Church.
Speaker 3: Danny McCay. The players are we shrugs, so.
Speaker 4: Any based on what you were talking about here before the Cowboys, you're looking at them sixteenth overall in Rush D last year, so middle of the pack when it comes to Rush D. Went back and looked at the numbers on the Green Bay game Packers. Thirty three carries, one hundred and forty three yards, three touchdowns on the ground. Yes, we can talk all day long about other positions, but as I see these mock drafts and Cowboys fans getting all excited, guys, this thing is being lost for the Cowboys. In the playoffs the last three years because of what's.
Speaker 3: Going on in the trenches.
Speaker 2: Of course, we can.
Speaker 4: Talk about Xavier Worthy all day long. Without all these receivers all day long, you can't stop anybody in the playoffs. This, I mean how they get you can put out of the playoffs the last three years by two forty nine er teams and the Packers they ran on you and you couldn't run on them.
Speaker 2: Well, almost every team that wanted to run on you going all the way back to Denver. So I mean, yeah, it's not just the playoffs. This is this is every game. We come in here and we say, hey, man, what do the Cowboys need to do to be able to win this game convincingly like they should and stop the run as always? And we come back in here on Monday and we're like, you know what, nine times out of ten they have they didn't stop the run like we hoped they would, Right, why do we keep ignoring this catastrophe on defense? I mean, look, and dan Quayn, we trusted, ed, trusted, but there was a point that we came to every season where it was like, look, our run defense was horrible last season, going just starting at Arizona game all the way down against the teams that had a forty five run offense. We couldn't compete. Uh, and we saw that, and it reminds me like we're all fathers here, and you know, if you've ever took your child from going from baby food to solid foods, it's a transition. And there are some mistakes, some accidents that happened that as fathers, we will walk right past and let mama hanma those this is, this is this reminds me of that problem. Oh, I didn't see that. I didn't see that, and we got it and the problem is going to persist if we don't correct it. And like I've been looking at the looking at the comebine and I'm sitting there saying like why why is my Because I saw Michael IRV and he was so excited about the the Florida state wide receiver and I'm like, well, yeah, it's cool unless it's you know, second third round something definitely not first round, because we have to get a guy we either a linebacker U three tech. We have to get that guy that can just solidify us up front. And KNEWI I completely agree with you when you go back to the Green Bay tape and you look that that was our problem. Nothing. We could not get off the field. And I'm looking at these linebackers and I'm like, man, I need a good off ball linebacker like the San Francisco forty nine windows, either Warner or green Law or need enforcer. And I thought to myself, I said, Damn, I already got it, mom te. It's Michael Parson's but I gotta use him. But I gotta use him at defensive end. And so how do I go into this saying I need an off ball linebacker, needs something I already have on my team. And then that's Zimmers thing is how do you use Micah? And when you're going out here and you're looking at getting another linebacker, we're essentially going to be getting a linebacker that can blitz, that can cover that, you know, because that's what you want, and that's what you want. You want a guy that can get you at least eight blitz, get you at least eight sacks from the linebacker position. I got that in Micah. So I mean I'm in a situation with the position flex that I need as far as the linebacker position. Now, I need a guy I need who can put the green dot on like I need that guy like that guy is usually the difference maker on your team, and not just because of his talent or whatever. It's because he's the leader out there. A general. Sean Lee general type of guy. Warner general type of guy. Hey man, when everything going bad, they looking at this guy to get him right or to go out there and make a play. That's the type of linebacker that you need. He needs the talent, he needs to be able to cover all that good stuff. He needs to have the instincts to be able to shoot gaps. But you need a general out there on your defense. And until we find one, we're gonna be in the same same issues right now, same issues because it is a lot of times during the season where sometimes it just ain't going right for you. But you gotta have that guy where you can look at it and be like, hey man, so hey, so what we're doing.
Speaker 3: He then got a guy, Ed Cooper, He's a guy.
Speaker 4: So so when you talk about the combined numbers and I didn't spend a whole lot of time there and get excited about the unwear Olympics, but you see it sweatwards from here, Edrin Cooper A and m there's some players there and they've got to figure it out. But if you stay in the first round, in my mind, you have to address and I should. Yes, we're the D line with the front seven. That's what the linebackers come in here. And so free agency is gonna hit. First draft is in April, so free agency hit for and so that that'll be interesting of what what they decide to do. But you've got to go ahead and address this problem. We also at some point I need to get some kind of update on Misie smith.
Speaker 2: Well eating someone because he looks slip he going out there. You know what I'm saying, Get you some honey buns, you know whatever that is raised the flag, put some breaks, put some breaks in you probably get them a super Pierce.
Speaker 3: I need to get you an endorsement.
Speaker 2: Talk to don't do that's not the right way. Don't the right way. That's not the right way. He needs to got to be don't go, don't listen to We're gonna be the first plason to come back. Help me on the radio. Tell us he saw you in there last week walking out ill already ate we're bad.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I got the we too, we too. They've they've got to address these things.
Speaker 4: And so for me right now, I'm looking at the at the defense in the first round, barring whatever we see in free agency, because just for all of our cowboy listeners, when you do something in free agency, you're normally not going to do that same thing in the draft, usually not going to double up there.
Speaker 3: But they've got they've got to address it.
Speaker 4: That's one good thing about Zimmer. We know zimmer Wall Zimmer likes to be stout upfront, and he likes his linebackers.
Speaker 3: He likes his linebackers. So that's got to be addressed.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: It's it's just it's been too far gone. You didn't try to escape too many times.
Speaker 2: You can't I ask. I'm really and the thought also as we talk about our deficiencies in the defensive line the running back position is so much has changed in the in the climate of the football where now no one goes into the first round talking about picking up a running back anymore. So, uh, second, third, fourth round is where you're looking to pick up a running back. I think we have to address that. I really do. I really I feel like coming into the season even last season after Tony Poler got injured. You saw it, man, our running game was pretty much like you know, dead in the water. There's nothing we could do in San Francisco, and even against Green Bay we didn't have a chance because we could not run the ball first sim and then obviously we got too far behind that running the ball was senseless. But we have to address that.
Speaker 3: I agree with you. I think we're all in agreement there. The Cowboys have done a good job.
Speaker 4: When you talk about drafting running backs. Me, Tony Fouk was taking in the fourth round. He did a good job. And me, you think about where they took Ezekiel Elliott and what he helped do this franchise. They've made some smart choices in the draft with these running backs.
Speaker 3: I trust them to go out and get to get someone.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 4: And you hear Mike McCarthy tell the Beat writers he'd like to have Tony Poller back. I wouldn't mind Tony Poller back. You need some help around it. Don't ask him to carry the load.
Speaker 3: But I can see it they got that one kid out.
Speaker 4: In order to good football player, you take a kid like that along with Tony Pollard. Now you got two guys out here who could do a little something for you. I think that's easy to me. I think that's easy.
Speaker 2: How many picks to the Cowboys having this draft? And no, don't have the four before.
Speaker 4: I think he gave up five for Cooks. But you've got I got to go back and check this, because we look, we love We're talking about offensive line, were talking about defensive line.
Speaker 5: We talk about the second level for for linebackers, and let's not mistake the secondary. Gilly's a free agent, if I'm not mistaken. So is George Lewis as well, if I'm not mistaken. And there's a lot of holes that.
Speaker 2: This team needs to fill out. And the cap. We still ain't even look at the cap situation right now.
Speaker 4: Which is why I talked about Trey down here. Okay, so here they have five picks right now. So you got a first round pick number twenty four, second round pick number fifty eight, third round pick at eighty seven, and then you have two seventh round picks.
Speaker 3: So you do not have a four or five or six.
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, man, That's what I'm like, hold on, And.
Speaker 4: That's where a trade down is something you could think think about here out of the first round to try to recoup some more picks to get some some other.
Speaker 2: Players, and legit, we're talking about free agency.
Speaker 5: You've got first, second, third, sleep. Yeah, this is CD's fifth year, right, it's gonna be his his franchise. Yeah, but I don't I don't. I don't know, man, I don't see him coming in to go play with U.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying, Like, I'm good with this.
Speaker 3: I don't know. That's where I said.
Speaker 4: You know, paying a badish and paying a smith is really not there. I've got you've got to take care of eighty eight and four. Those are going to be monster deals. Those are going to be huge contracts.
Speaker 3: CD Lamb is.
Speaker 4: Most likely going to be, if not the highest paid, the top three average salard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's.
Speaker 4: So you've got that, and you've got Prescott and you know, we've heard if Joe Burrow got fifty five and Herbert got fifty two, So start thinking there at minimum, your guy is getting fifty two minimum minimum.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is it's a tough it's a pickle. But they've been knowing that they had this situation coming for a very long time. You could have negotiated redone those deals, and we've waited till the eleventh hour. So that who do you put the who do you put the fault on? The elephant in the the elephant in the room. The elephant in the room is Dak in CD's contract. And Dak isn't I mean, he's gone radio silid. Basically, I guess we saw him with the goatee the other day, but we hadn't seen that. We hadn't seen that, so we don't know anything from what he's asking for. What's going on with that? We know, we know CD, we know CD. After seeing Mike Evans, I thought that was a different person. I ain't gonna lie. I thought it was fake. I thought think I was like that, ain't you know I have to look at the thing at the bottom those black statutes. NA, that's when you when you when the video game and that like create your character to start off with. Don't do my quarterback like that? Look you used to see it a certain way. He looked different. I did not think that. I'm not saying it look bad. That's not my looked different. And so he's gonna reset the market. He's gonna reset the market he's gonna be the highest one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the league and for have a long uh that's coming this way and you can't. And the thing is that, I guess if you look at it from a negotiation standpoint with with do they go to the negotiating table with CD, like most Fortune one hundred companies do with their employees and say you aren't what we thought you were and you're gonna take that. No, they're gonna talk to him as far as the top paid guys in the league. So now you're paying not only the lion's share to your quarterback, but also to your wide receiver. And don't look. Now you probably have a resetting of the market defense in all of defense with Michael Parsons being the highest paid defensive player ever when it comes down to his contract.
Speaker 3: So that means that means somebody got to thank you by this.
Speaker 2: So hey did start these conversations with CD last year. Also, I don't know about that when they were listening to the thirteen hundred yard projections man.
Speaker 3: Franchise right now, it's to let it's like they did with Tank and Dak. They did it again.
Speaker 4: A wide receiver franchise tag is basically twenty two million dollars, so twenty six that God, you know.
Speaker 3: That, that's that. This is the market.
Speaker 2: This is the market.
Speaker 4: So somewhere along the way you're going to have to try to save dollars to make these two deals happen.
Speaker 3: And why haven't you heard for Dak Prescott. It's real simple. When you have all the leverage, the best thing you can do is say nothing, give nothing away. Because this man has all the leverage.
Speaker 4: You got to pay me sixty million either way, have to Why would I say one thing to anybody.
Speaker 2: I'm just sitting there thinking about all them times on us sign playing on them franchise. Oh he hot, he not. I mean he's not giving an inch. He's not giving an inch. You don't forget you have to. But playing the devil's advocate. What if what if the organization is saying, fine, I pay you, well paid a sixty because he has a no trade clause. He has a no trade clause, any of that in there, and you can get get completely out of this deal whole. Next year, I.
Speaker 3: Will tell you I'll answer that. God got it answered for you.
Speaker 4: Next Barry Church, heck Mayor's Danny McCrae, the LSU Nestboy dot com radio.
Speaker 2: You must got some good.
Speaker 7: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bowld unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what.
Speaker 8: It truly means to be a boss.
Speaker 7: Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 2: Hi. I'm Danny McCrae, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our smoothie bowls into two new decking and flavors. Dig into a cool Iae or Ptaya bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Vernola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to much and that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors only as Smoothie King, the official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys. Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 2: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. And they snapped the fresh guy who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left. He'll look for a first down.
Speaker 4: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust.
Speaker 2: With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands.
Speaker 5: Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 1: Pro Scot's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 4: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 3: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 4: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 1: Back to the players, loude.
Speaker 2: The Concacafe National Nations League Finals are coming to AT and T Stadium. Don't miss your chance to watch North America's best soccer teams battle it out in the semifinals on March twenty first, then see who lifts the trophy in the championship on March twenty fourth. Tickets are available now at seakeek dot com, the official ticketing provider of AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 3: Get your CONCACAF on.
Speaker 4: I need to put those credentials in those.
Speaker 3: They want a whole lot of information for CONCACAF.
Speaker 2: So he's gonna try to showhick him up like that and say it's mooth tickets.
Speaker 4: I work next to the folks at Telemoon though, they all into this, and they've actually taught me like, okay, what how do I what is it?
Speaker 2: So you just let us mess it up for what is its cat right no right, wor couple of.
Speaker 3: Will he gonna get you something?
Speaker 2: It just me who don't get nothing? Just me? Heyly watched this by myself. I'm saying. I'm just saying, I get a guy. You know what do you get a guy.
Speaker 3: That's went on Survivor and one and that kind of I can't.
Speaker 2: You were talking about you could guys, since you asked bringing something, no getting you thought I brought man? Answer? Your were was so dum You still walking with this forget this New York City. Yeah, man, you'd be a.
Speaker 3: Hell of a wife if he was a woman.
Speaker 2: Nagg that can't you got all?
Speaker 3: You keep it scoring like my daughter she did in the seventh inning.
Speaker 2: That's me. That's me the phone.
Speaker 4: So Hetna was speaking about Dak Prescott and why Dak if they say if they tell that, we'll do fine, We'll let you play fifty nine million, and Dak says, go ahead. You can't improve your football team. You what you want to do is sign into a contract and then that first year, well he's making like two million dollars because you put all the money into a signing bus. That's how you work the cap and you make it and you and you get to sign other people. So it is in their best interest. And the way they set up the contract, they basically put themselves in the position that they have to get something done with it to.
Speaker 2: Improve the I think it's imperative that they get the deal done for all of those reasons. If you let him play on that and he comes in and you can't improve the team, he looks horrible. He didn't have any pieces around him, didn't have you know, other guys, you're not able to improve your offensive line. I think all of those things does not bold well. They're tied at the hip in this situation if you look at Dak and the organization. So but like I said, we hadn't heard anything from Dak because he has all the leverage. He wants his money to me, the Cowboys should definitely make sure that they get that done because you're only a few players away. I feel like you're getting to this level and you're only a few Come on, guys, now, lord, whoa, whoa, whoa, Let me say something. If you paid Dak sixty and this is you pay Dak sixty, he go out there and have a year in trouble, you're gonna pay him anyways, Well you're gonna let him go after that. Years all, we paid you sixty because you know whatever, And then all of a sudden, you have a year. Now you're finna go out there and paying fifty five the next year. Anyway, you're gonna get it. And and I think in the organization's mind they believe that we will go as far as that Dak Prescott is gonna take us. I don't see them looking at next year being a year where you don't have Dak Prescott. So I see them paying I see them paying a guy. How many players are we away from the NFC Championship game? Guys we're talking about say twenty ye? Man, why y'all doing this? Man? Twelve? Think about how many guys you had this year? How many guys that you have on the squad this year. We were sitting there saying, Okay, we got Cooks, we got Gilmore, we got this, that, that that that, And then we come out of see and say, you know, man, we need offensive line, defensive line, linebacker, running back. You need you need to.
Speaker 4: Running backs free agent right now. So you need to dudes, because right now the guys you got can he sold, you sold. Let's you need to run. You need to dudes, uh your center? He free agent, probably gonna lose left tackle, at least.
Speaker 2: Two linebackers, interior, the slock corner, lose free agent Gilly. And it's my understanding that every team in the NFL has these same set of issues. You can even go to the Kansas City Chiefs and start going down your fingers and saying what they're losing. I'm telling you right now, with the team that you have, where you got in this season to even being close to winning the NFC, come on, guys, come on, guys. Don't don't tell me that we are twenty players away from from winning the championship. I said nine, look at you, guys. Yeah, I need that, but you need at least six. Sure, God, you need not bridge not bridge players, like a guy to bring in it like, because that's what you would You consider Gilly to be the bridge player that you because you were he was a bridge player, I believe, okay, And for me, you.
Speaker 4: Think with Gilly is we're assuming Diggs is going to come back, but we don't know how he comes back. When does it happen? When is he gonna feel like he used to be. He fe the leadership that he brings the Gilly's broads as well. I mean, there's there's there's some issues there right now that I'm looking at. And look, I was Imitt and Troy over the weekend. Man, Emmy is hot. He's still mad about this.
Speaker 2: Team, still about this team because he mad. I've seen him put Florida to about the d man.
Speaker 4: He not playing, but that the client the culture, that's another thing you bring us. What about this culture of dudes act like they've won something here? We have not seen them come through when they needed to come through. And I don't even know how many people are pained by what's been happening.
Speaker 3: With these exits.
Speaker 4: So I just think there's there, there's there are some players away, and then there's a culture shift of.
Speaker 3: How many people want to play and just be cowboys and want to actually go out.
Speaker 4: Head and win some games and hate losing. There's stuff here, man, because it's been this way. I mean, think about it, super Bowl thirty.
Speaker 2: Do that here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Brush, I didn't have children, right, I mean these dudes are what elementary.
Speaker 2: School he was watching?
Speaker 3: He was washing stone coolers, right, think about that? So there's problems here.
Speaker 2: Man, there's there's sevenths and that is not cool.
Speaker 4: But the whole premier, the premise of three twelve win seasons. If you're just going throughout the league, the regression comes. It's hard to have, you know, four of these in a row.
Speaker 3: It's hard. The league is not made for you to do that.
Speaker 2: And when you when you go back to the success that Kansas City is having, it's because you look at a Patrick Mahomes you say, look, he is the lynch Pian of everything. And Andy Reid. They have a system that is unbeatable. They figured out a way to get through the regular season, which was the worst regular season that they had, and was able to roll through the playoffs. I'm looking at this Cowboys team and just saying, look, there's so many other things that we need to build around. We didn't have the running game that we needed to get through those points in the season where we absolutely needed our running game to come through. Secondary wise, I'm with you, Like Marquise Bell to me as a linebacker, he's going to be the guy that's going to move out to safety. I don't know if we're going to resign curse. He's been and he even played for zimmer So we don't know how that's going to go. I think you have some of the pieces here, but I'm making that point to say, as you look around the league and you look at teams like Buffalo, the teams that you think are going to be in contention, they don't have all the pieces. And so I don't expect for this to be perfect in the end that we have a guy at each position, but I don't feel like we are nine players away.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, that's.
Speaker 4: This edition of the Players Lounge with Barry Churchich, Maharis, Dann Kravenewis's brought to you by Tostitos, thanks to Chris Joshi Jazz.
Speaker 3: Everybody's in party. We'll talk to you again next Monday right here on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.