Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock app. And it's a big day, Big week for Tailgate Moonshine. Make sure you signed up on the newsletter if you would like to get the latest edition of Tailgate Moonshine. It's pumpkin Maple. Stat of the Day brought to you is always by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 3: SA.
Speaker 2: Good morning if you're watching on Peacock. Thank you for downloading the app, our streaming partner and our radio affiliates around the country numbering nearly four hundred. This first hour brought to you by Discover cash Back Debit. It's a checking account that awards everyone with cash back on everyday purchases with no fees. Check out eligibility in terms at Discover dot com. Slash cash Back debit, Discover Bank, remember fdice.
Speaker 4: All right, play the.
Speaker 2: Day, stat of the day, poll question, all of that forthcoming. Sean Salisbury, our good buddy, former NFL quarterback and of course quarterback at USC. Oh, we've got some things to talk about with USC, don't we.
Speaker 4: Also?
Speaker 2: Bill plashk La Times columnist, Around the Horn contributor. He had some things to say about USC football tonight. Diamondbacks at the Phillies, Rangers at the Astros, and the forty nine ers at the Vikings Seeton. What's pole question? We're going to start out with first hour, worst loss of.
Speaker 5: The weekend, Dan, Okay, Yeah, here we go. Yeah you want to start. Yeah, we're going to mix up college in the NFL. Here, all right, let's start with an easy one. Bill's lose twenty nine to twenty five to the Patriots.
Speaker 4: That is a terrible loss. Yeah, but it was predicted on this show. Still a terrible loss. Yeah. I saw it coming. I don't know if anybody else did.
Speaker 2: But that's how I told you all Friday that's going to happen.
Speaker 5: This is actually the pole question. Things Dan told us on Friday. Yes, USC losing the Utah you told us on Friday that was going.
Speaker 2: To I said, they're rebuilding that that is not a good football team prior to that loss.
Speaker 4: So let me go back to the Bills.
Speaker 2: I know they've lost defensive players, defensive starters, really good defensive players. But offensively, you know, that's where the offense has to pick up the slack. You're playing New England. You should be able to beat New England. You're eight and a half point favorites. Granted it's on the road. And while I want to give credit to Mac Jones and the Patriots Bill Belichick's three hundredth win, this is about Buffalo because now we're kind of getting into that area of like who's real is Buffalo is Miami reel? You know, we look at the AFC East and we go, oh my gosh. You know, there's gonna be three teams that will be playoff worthy there, and that's including the Jets. But that was before Rogers got hurt. They're probably still better than the Patriots. But then I don't know how good Buffalo is. And I'm going to base a little bit of this on that defense is not fully assembled. But offensively, this is where Josh Allen, you know, be a great quarterback. And then Miami last night. Miami's fun to watch. They haven't beaten anybody. They played some good teams and they get beat Now they're missing a couple of defensive backs. I get that, but I have no idea, and we don't have a great team. There's not a great team in football college over the NFL. They're good. I mean, Chiefs are good, Philadelphia good, maybe really good. What if the Niners lose to the Vikings tonight, I don't know, throw it out there. No, when Kirk Cousins is Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 5: Is that the craziest thought, just saying, Uh.
Speaker 4: Give me some of the other losses worst losses.
Speaker 5: Well, I'll give you the other NFL worst loss Lions thirty eight six to the Ravens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all that goodwill that was built up. Hey, Jared Goff deserves to be an MVP candidate. Like, that's what's amazing. Dan Campbell team, and they didn't put up a fight. Lamar Jackson looked wonderful, And that's one of those reminders. I still think that's a dark horse super Bowl team, I really do. And that division like when the Bengals are probably considered the worst team in the division. And they's still a good team. You know, Brown's are good, although we'll talk about the Deshaun Watson situation, which is still baffling. And then the Steelers. The Steelers are there. I don't know if they're good, but they're there. And then you had the Ravens, who have that capability of beat you know when you out physical a physical team. I mean that says a lot about both of them. I mean the Lions. It's like, wait a minute, all this goodwill, you guys are the story Jared Goff playing great, Dan Campbell Coach of the Year.
Speaker 4: It's all there.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's all there until it disappeared.
Speaker 5: Is it all gone?
Speaker 4: They're gonna have to build back my trust? Are we saying that it's now all completely gone? Bounce of good will? No, not all of it.
Speaker 2: But they've got to earn my love back. They got to take me out on some dates. They you know this, this has to be. They got a romance me, some flowers, some chocolates. You know, it's by they're five and two.
Speaker 5: Somehow, it's very different than the Ravens five and two today, because.
Speaker 4: The Ravens beat them to make them five and two. Are the Dolphins five and two. It's very different, yes, because they haven't beaten anybody. What else?
Speaker 5: Uh, let's see we got so we didn't really spend much time talking USC losing to Utah.
Speaker 4: That's not great.
Speaker 2: No, it's not And man, oh man La is coming at USC. They're coming at Lincoln Riley. Caleb Williams looked like he had checked out. He was sitting on the bent like not even fired up. Final drive, Get up, let's go be involved. He's probably thinking, I got that Wendy's commercial. I gotta shoot on Monday. I gotta remember by lie.
Speaker 4: Oh what happened? Oh they kicked a field? Oh darn it? And then they're not made available.
Speaker 2: They don't talk after the game, like come on, Usually you have offensive player, defensive player, coach and the quarterback.
Speaker 4: That's your standard procedure there. Yeah.
Speaker 5: See, why do you think it is that he didn't let the player speak?
Speaker 4: I don't have no idea. I have no idea.
Speaker 5: Is it like to protect themselves from themselves?
Speaker 4: Is it to protect him from them? Is it? What do you think it? I didn't go check check.
Speaker 2: I don't know what Caleb Williams is going to say. It just feels like there's more to what's going on there. And you know that when I brought this up preseason about maybe they're a package deal. If you said to USC fans today, hey, Lincoln Riley and Caleb when they leave good he has the same record as Clay Helton did after twenty two games, seventeen to five.
Speaker 4: Now stead of a day, stall of a day, stat of a day, Scatuta day. This is the stat of the Day.
Speaker 2: Stat of Today, brought you by Penny America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. How about this odds to win the Heisman? Where do you think Caleb Williams is in the top five? If you said he's not there, you'd be correct. Yes, JJ McCarthy of Michigan, Michael Pennix Junior, the third, Jaden Daniels, Jordan Travis, Dylan Gabriel.
Speaker 4: That's it. That's according to DraftKings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll talk to Plashki about this and Sean Salisbury And it was out on social media. Could you see Caleb Williams not playing the rest of the season to have himself get ready for the draft, And I was like, Wow, I don't know what that says to GMS owners coaches in the NFL, Nick Bosa did it, but you know he had a stomach and abdominal injury that was real. Caleb Williams doesn't have any injury that I know of, but I and maybe that's so far down the line that people are speculating that, But I have no idea. Haven't spoken to Caleb Williams before. By the way, if you're an Oklahoma fan, do you feel today, You're like, we lost our coach, we lost our quarterback, We're undefeated, We're uh, we're doing okay there.
Speaker 5: Hey, I said this is gonna be the best thing to happen to us. I said, best thing that's gonna ever happen to us. Yeah, getting rid of those guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you got uh, you got what eight more years of Lincoln Riley? How long is that contracts? A like a John Gruden ten year, one hundred million dollars deal? All right, what else do you have?
Speaker 4: Their seat?
Speaker 2: No counter?
Speaker 5: We got a couple more losses that were doozies, okay, Uh, North Carolina thirty one twenty seven to Virginia. Virginia I think was one in five going into that game. That's about as bad a loss as you could have.
Speaker 4: Yes it is. That is, Yes it is.
Speaker 2: And that's one of those where you're watching, you're going, right, hey, guys, come on, let's go get it together.
Speaker 4: Than they didn't.
Speaker 6: Yes, Marv, this feels like one of those those losses. Even next year when the playoffs are expanded that North Carolina wouldn't get in because they lost to a one in five Virginia team.
Speaker 4: We're gonna hold it against them, yes, Todd.
Speaker 2: That's what happens when you take a cavalier approach and you think you're gonna win.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Tod, Thank you? What else do you have?
Speaker 5: Some Why are they all bad losses and not good wins? We have the lie I know, we did, the Liones. We have Michigan State good Grete forty nine. Nothing that is, you.
Speaker 2: Know, a couple of years ago, a little brother. Indeed, this wouldn't have happened. Like Michigan State was competitive, and it felt like always competitive, even the first two years of Mel Tucker, uh Mark D'Antonio, it always felt like, Okay, they're they're kind of spirited, they're sneaky good. They always get a you know, a couple of good running backs there in the pros.
Speaker 4: And then all of a sudden there was nothing there.
Speaker 7: Yes, in twenty twenty one, Michigan State was eleven and two. That's two seasons ago, you know, five, six, seven years ago. I'm the marked Tonio years thirteen wins, eleven twelve, they'd beat Michigan here and there. They were always like competitive, that's a no show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, any other bad losses seating.
Speaker 5: Those are the ones we're going with. I'm sure there were others, but those seemed to.
Speaker 4: Be the baddest of the bad.
Speaker 2: But USC loses to Utah at home with Utah with a backup quarterback. And I know that they got a lot of kids, good kids from at least you know, they were recognized in the transfer portal, but I don't know if they got any of them them on defense. You just going where where's the defense here? Let's see anything else that needs to be mentioned here. Ohio State over Penn State. It just feels like Penn State has a ceiling, like they're like, okay, hey, nine or ten wins bowl game, Okay, but you just don't put them in there with Ohio State and Michigan that they're like a light heavyweight.
Speaker 4: They're not a heavyweight. They're a light heavy Yes, Mark.
Speaker 6: They feel like on the same level as North Carolina. Where that one loss, all right, and that's saying something because it's Penn State. But now like oh they Ohio State's one loss in Penn State's one loss means something different because we think Ohio State can play with the Georgia in Alabama. We don't think that Penn State can play with those big.
Speaker 2: Dogs, Okay, but that it's almost worthy of against the grain type.
Speaker 4: There you go. I like it, Marv calling out Penn State. Thank you, Yes.
Speaker 2: Eight seven seven three DP show operator Tyler standing by best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked you didn't like, And we'll settle on a poll question here.
Speaker 4: Sean Salisbury will join us.
Speaker 2: Coming up, and baseball Diamondbacks at the Phillies and Rangers at the Astro is forcing a game seven. The road team has won every game in that series. And then you got the Niners at the Vikings. What are the Niners favored? Let me see, Let's let me see if I can guess them.
Speaker 7: We're gonna play guess a line.
Speaker 4: Guess the line forty nine ers are.
Speaker 7: Five and one at the Vikings, who are two and four.
Speaker 4: The line is, I'm gonna say six and a half.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna give it to you. It's seven San Francisco by seven. You'll probably get it six and a half somewhere, Okay, you always can, Yeah, okay, yes, Tom?
Speaker 2: Do you have factor in the Kirk Cousins not well in primetime games?
Speaker 8: Do you add a couple of points to that?
Speaker 6: Do you? Would you make them like eight and a half point favorite?
Speaker 2: Maybe they did, Maybe they did, I don't know, six and a half. This is where Kirk Cousins is Kirk Cousins. No Devo Samuel playing tonight. I guess Christian McCaffrey is expected to play. Yeah, see that's not good. The fact that Devo's not playing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you want him on the field. Thank you? Back after this?
Speaker 7: Will you leave McCaffrey on the bench until you're losing one of those things you rest him until you need them?
Speaker 4: I don't know that point favorite, awfully dismissive.
Speaker 2: And I'm still trying to figure out what happened with Deshaun Watson because I didn't I wasn't watching the game when he got hurt.
Speaker 4: He was thrown to the ground. He snapped his.
Speaker 2: Head off the turf and I thought, okay, he's got a concussion. Then they said he was medically cleared to play, and I'm thinking okay, And then they said that they were going to sit him, and then I saw where it was. It was phrased and framed he was benched, and I go wait was he was? He benched because he was playing poorly his shoulder, his head. And then DeShawn talked about it after the win against the Colts.
Speaker 9: I want to go out there and try to have a team as much as possible and go out there and play and the perform at your pee. But the decision was was best for, you know, the team, and they thought that was the best. And you know Pja did a great job of finishing the game and everyone else played having the job to get the win.
Speaker 4: Okay, something's going on there now.
Speaker 2: The coaches didn't want him to play, and then the coaches what two weeks ago said that DeShawn wasn't ready to play.
Speaker 7: It feels like the less he plays, the more they win.
Speaker 4: I mean, PJ.
Speaker 2: Walker didn't look great, but he looked good enough, and he hung in there. And there were some bad calls at the end, like really bad calls in the end, at least one that a ball was not catchable and they called the defensive back on like consecutive penalties there pass interference. But the Browns ended up winning the game. And Miles Garrett looks like he's a he's just there's nobody like him in the NFL. I was going to go, hey, there's this movie about this guy who's so much bigger and so much more athletic, and and he's like you know Jack and the Beanstalk type thing. I mean, he's jumping over people, running around people. He's just like one of those guys where you go he is different than anybody else in the NFL wild And he was all over the field. Yes, Tid, there are a couple of players that would look like they didn't even bother trying to block it, and he just kind of there was like no one even there and just kind of.
Speaker 8: He's going to get past us anywhere.
Speaker 2: I think, I think you might have a better game plan, Like then you can mess with his mind, like we're not even going to block you, and then you'll be like oh wait a minute, what are they running now?
Speaker 4: Not only a double team, there's no one blocking at all.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, is he he is huge? Like big men aren't supposed to act like that. Just not All right, let me take a break. Our good buddy Sean Salisbury USC Trojan apologists will join us. Coming up, we'll get to your phone calls. Eight seven seven three d P show email Adre Yes, oh.
Speaker 5: Man, I forgot about this one, but we have to add in the Iowa loss.
Speaker 4: Speaking of bad calls, that was brutal.
Speaker 2: But Dylan Dylan part of Dan Patrick Takes a Gamble podcast. He's been hammering the under with Iowa football and that's the lowest over under in college football history. And even if they scored on the touchdown on the punt return, they still wouldn't have gone over.
Speaker 4: I'll do on Friday. That was gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all right, let me take a break. Just getting started back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 4: Uh Treger grill.
Speaker 2: You know, I saw Tyler outside prior to the show, and I said, Tyler, you got to make sure you clean Tregerville. He goes, yeah, but we do that on Friday. I go, no, no, no, every day. Every day is Tregger day. Go out there and clean off the grills, clean off the countertime, you know, get the leaf blower, get some leaves out of there, and let's go. That's your place, that's your dojo. And so I saw him out there cleaning up today. Got to take care of those grills. And they have a trigger for you and ask about the Tregger app. So they made it possible for you to step away from the grill. Like I could be controlling a grill right now with my smartphone. With the trap, I could raise the temperature. I could raise the roof if I wanted to.
Speaker 8: Like remotely, and I don't have to be right next to the growth.
Speaker 2: I do not have to. That's crazy, thank you. But you want to stock up on grilling essentials. They have a variety of different sauces and rubs, all Todd rubs perfectly paired with whatever you're cooking. Visit Tregger dot com see what's cooking and remember you use dp show at checkout for free shipping. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. And you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. We'll get some phone calls coming up, as we always do every Monday. Best and words to the weekend. The fully Electric EQS sdan from Mercedes Benz innovation on a magnificent scale. The vehicle all electric, the feeling is all Mercedes. Learn more at mbusa dot com slash eqs. Was there anything that the officials could have done in that Iowa ending when the punt returner he didn't signal for a fair catch. He was saying, don't touch it like he was. I think that that was the feeling I got. He didn't raise his hand up like you always do with a fair catch, and they're down too, and I thought he was just saying, hey, stay away from the football. And then he goes over and grabs it and then takes it back for a touchdown. But it was nullified because they said that it was a fair catch.
Speaker 7: Yes, the rule book, it says you have to raise your hand clearly above your head, above your shoulders, you know where it's like clearly. The guy never did that, but he made like a whipping move with his arm that these days the refs aren't sure.
Speaker 2: But can can somebody get together and go, hey, can I overrule? It feels like everybody is so sensitive that they don't want to hurt anybody's feelings and say that referee may have made a mistake.
Speaker 4: There there's no.
Speaker 7: Actual review on that play, But like you said, they could have done a quick huddle up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because your job is to get it right. You may hurt somebody's feelings the process, but get it right. Sean Salisbury, former NFL USC quarterback, host of The Shawn Salisbury Show and Sports Talk seven ninety in Houston.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Sean, An, How we do anything?
Speaker 8: How are you ma man?
Speaker 4: Are you a USC apologist today?
Speaker 1: I'm still stuck on the dumbass fair catch call that the refs made.
Speaker 8: They got it wrong? Yeah, No, I'm not an apologist.
Speaker 1: Dan.
Speaker 8: This in the last time They're gonna lose this year. Well, they got Oregon still Washington, Washington.
Speaker 1: And you Seela, UCLA's got really good defensive team speed. Washington could score from the tailgate, you know, on Meet Friday on the Dan Patrick Show. And we know how good organ is Dan when you play offense like that. But can't get stops on defense at the most critical times. I'm not apologizing for him. I thought their defense would be better and Alex Sprinch would have them better. They've lost physicality in the interior and that's been going on for a minute. But you can't keep winning games forty eight to forty four or this won't be their last loss. And Utah always man handles them physical physically. And I think Kyle Whittingham, outside of Nick Saban's the best college football coach on the planet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I praise, but you know, he's done a great job and he's beaten USC. I think that's what regularly, you know, four consecutive times there. But I'm watching the final drive and maybe this is piling on Caleb Williams, but he's on the bench and your defense is out there. I be involved, and it didn't feel like, I don't know, there's just an indifference there that it's kind of strange. And I said this two weeks ago as a friend of mine who's an NFL scout. He said, look, they're not a good team. Caleb Williams covers up a lot of this, but they're really not if you look at the totality of the team. They're not threatening for a national championship, he said. People think they are.
Speaker 4: They're not.
Speaker 2: And he said, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up with four losses this year.
Speaker 8: Well halfway there, maybe five, Dad, if they're not careful with the three opponents they have.
Speaker 1: I couldn't agree more with the guy than with the guy you're talking about whoever was you were discussing with. I listen, he covers not just a few his ability the last couple of years to make every play on the planet. It'll cover up for a lot of weaknesses. And it's not just defensively. I mean they got some, but they also have some physical as far as domination weaknesses. He bails you out all the time, which when one guy's that good and it's the quarterback and a quarterback driven league at every level now, high school, college, pro, we automatically think they're a great team. They're not a great team. They're a good team with a great talent. But I also know what you're talking about. I try to guard against Dan. I do because I think the guy's a special player. I try to guard against the disinterest look and the optics of does he care? Because remember they used to say that about Eli Manning. Remember Dan the shoulder shrug. He doesn't care when it's two Super Bowl. So I'm trying not to be the guy, but I'm with you. I'm thinking, Man, is he ready to move on?
Speaker 8: Is this? Is he bored with this?
Speaker 1: Knowing that if he doesn't make a play, they can't win. And it's true, if he plays average, they just won't win, they won't even be in a game.
Speaker 2: So I think could shut out? Could he shut it down this season?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, I I would hope that would Dan, That would validate how people are, what people what you're saying right now about the disinterest not up on the sidelines, I know that's been his routine, regularly sitting there with his head back and looking up. So and I'm not apologizing for me that I don't like the optics of it, but I also know when the guy's been that good, what else am I going to complain about?
Speaker 8: Even though I'll try to find something with USC football?
Speaker 1: But he maybe Dan, if you'd asked that question a decade ago, to look at you like, what do you mean?
Speaker 8: Shut it down? Nobody shuts it down, but we're at.
Speaker 1: A time now, name, image and likeness protect that or there's money, uh, first pick or second pick of the draft, whatever it might be. Maybe Dan, I'll tell you what as a teammate, that would drive me frigging crazy if it did, especially with the three games they got to play. Now, if it's a bad Bowl game, you're gonna leave, don't play in it. I get it when I say bad not a January one Bowl game.
Speaker 8: I understand.
Speaker 1: But I hope he doesn't shut it down because that would validate what a lot of people want to believe that he's disinterested, even though if he's disinterested, imagine how good a player he'd be if he was interested. But they're a decent team. They don't threaten anybody, and there's three or four teams in the Pac twelve outside of him carrying them that are better than the Trojans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got the odds to win the Heisman, and Caleb Williams is not in there anymore. JJ McCarthy is tops, then Michael Pennix, Junior, Jayden Daniels, Jordan Travis and Dylan Gabriel and Dan.
Speaker 1: You need that Heisman moment right now. I think McCarthy. Somebody had asked me yesterday and when I was talking to Fritzy last night, McCarthy to me is the number one choice as well.
Speaker 8: It was all packed twelve.
Speaker 1: Jayden Daniels has played well, but again they don't play defense. You start to look around the country and say, okay, well then who is it? It's no longer the Pac twelve. Bo Nick's hanging around with the accuracy. Pennis had his moment where he I don't know if he lost it, but fell off a little bit against Arizona State.
Speaker 8: Drake May had his moment.
Speaker 1: Caleb Williams had his against Notre Dame moment meaning where they fall off. McCarthy hasn't had that yet, and he's gonna get his heisman moment when they play Ohio State and what will be a huge game and a few more. I like McCarthy is the number one choice. He protects the ball and he kills you more ways than one. I actually think Michigan is as complete a team as we have in football right now, and that includes Georgia.
Speaker 4: Are they great?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 8: Really good? I don't think we have a great team.
Speaker 1: I think that with Kirby Smart and the way they recruit and the way they develop and teach at Georgia, there's no doubt they're really good. But I still think offensively, I'm not sold yet that Georgia's that dominant can go score forty against a great defense, although I know how good they are and we know, and I think when you lose that many defensive players on Georgia, it's hard to overcome year after year. I don't think we have a great team in college football, and I think the eighth team in the country can win the national championship. I think Washington could go win the national title if played right. But as far as complete and really good and a quarterback, CA can beat you more ways than one.
Speaker 8: Michigan's as good as we got in the country.
Speaker 2: Shawn Sulisbury, former NFL USC quarterback, host of The Shawn Salisbury Show. You can hear that on Sports Talk seven to ninety in Houston. The worst loss of the weekend, if I said the Bills against the Patriots, the Lions against the Ravens, other who had the worst loss.
Speaker 1: I don't think it was the Lions because this is about two or three of these I expected this year from them.
Speaker 8: They're good for this fore you go and say what are you doing?
Speaker 1: I think it was more impressed on Baltimore's side, and I also don't think it was the worst loss because I actually think Detroit can run away and hide in this division. But with Buffalo battle in Miami, who got there from Philly last night, and we know Belichick's defense always shows up. I think that was the most impressive pointing the show yesterday, Dan, I you know when you're gambling or you're talking about point spreads. I thought New England would get inside the number. I just didn't think they beat him, but they were impressive. That was their best offensive performance. As far as I'm concerned of Mac Jones protecting the ball, I'm gonna go with Buffalo because Buffalo now validates what we keep thinking, great talent. Uh, when are they going to close this out? When are they going to do what Kansas City does? When are they going to be New England when Brady was there, where they got all this skill set? Can they dominate you running it? Can they can they handle typical and constant success? I think that was It's tough to go to New England and win, but to me, that was the one because that's going to be a much tighter division than the than the Detroit Lions in the NFC North. It'll come down to the last week or two in in in that division in the AFC East.
Speaker 8: The NFC North will be one in early in early December by the Lions.
Speaker 2: Explain to me how Travis Kelsey, you know what he's going to do and they still couldn't stop him knowing what he was going to do?
Speaker 4: Right, how does it happen? You know you're game planning for Travis Kelce.
Speaker 1: Right, Dad? What did the Belichick approach or anybody? I'm not letting your best beat me. Not name the quarterback and guess what the best every week he beats you. And you know it helps that they got a play call that knows how to deploy him and motion him and Andy Reid and put him in positions. The thing that's most baffling to me and go back and look like in the playoff game and that game against Buffalo when they were back and forth and in Super Bowls, Dan, I don't know why people give him.
Speaker 8: Such a free runoff the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 1: You know how in basketball like the Bulls would bring in like Will Purdue Lukela. They have like three guys for six fouls you at eighteen to give. I don't know why we don't maul him at the line of scrimmage, even in motion. I know you back off a little, but take your foul, go clutch and grab. You cannot give him free rein I want to make him work more at the line of scrimmage than I do in space.
Speaker 8: You give him in space. It's the old choice route. Okay.
Speaker 1: If they play an inside man, run away, play an outside man, you run away inside in zone, stretch the outside leverage of the zone and sit and then Mahomes and him are just playing school yard, even though it's designed well. It's like go down there to the car and make a left behind Dan's Mercedes and stand there and we'll throw it to you. And that's the way it works. But I don't get in professional sports how I don't care if you're doubling him like you do the gunner on or the covering punts. You can't let the best player at his position in the world have free reign. And just when we think Kansas City's offense man are they the same? Mahomes still goes and throws for four hundred yards. You cannot let that guy. It'd be like saying, hey, let's give Derrick Henry in his prime when he's running forty carries and just open up a hole for him. You got to stop the team's best and make somebody else beat you for some reason. I guess it's harder than we described because nobody seems to be able to do it.
Speaker 2: Help me understand what's going on with the Browns and Deshaun Watson.
Speaker 8: I don't know, Dan. I'm bothered by it, though.
Speaker 1: I'm bothered by because I think winning teammates over matters, and I don't know how they feel in the locker room about him. I know from a distance we speak of optics on Caleb william The optics don't look good.
Speaker 8: The optics do not look good.
Speaker 1: I don't like it when the guy's pronounced fit and doesn't play, and then when he goes and plays.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know how severely he was hurt and all that, but you could make the easy case that you say, well, he got paid, got the bag, so he's taking time off, and load management fits him like it does the NBA. It bothers him. I don't think Deshaun Watson's ever going to put his team in position to win a super Bowl again. I know why he's easy to root against if you're some people. He's an enormous talent and the Browns are really good. But I like what PJ. Walker did. I don't know, and Dan, you know this. It gets to a certain point if you're not running through a wall, running jumping over a wall, or going around the wall for that guy, your quarterback, and maybe they still are, then you got a problem. And this team is a playoff team with Super Bowl aspirations and I don't know what's going on, but there's a disconnect and I just don't know where it is. And if Deshaun Watson, I'll ask simply does he still love playing football? That I don't know, and I don't know where the level of his pain tolerance is. It doesn't look good optics wise, and especially when the guy who comes in is winning games for you.
Speaker 2: And they only owe him one hundred and ninety million dollars guaranteed the next three years, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Speaker 8: No, he'll be okay, I mean, I mean, you know, but who's counting? Dan? Why what I mean, who's keeping score?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: A million over the next three years.
Speaker 1: Right, And there's a good chance he may not be the one quarterback. And I'm in February. You can get you to January. We still wonder if he can get you to February. But there's got to be the passion and love for it. I always ask quarterbacks when they come to me young, I say to their parents, they say, does he loved to play? He loves to play? Fine, And that exists all the way through to the end. And I'm assuming DeShawn loves to play. But there is some kind of disconnecting. The optics look horrible.
Speaker 2: The uh you know, the brotherly shove, the push tush it works, it works too well, and sometimes it feels like the extra point before they moved it back, like you know, it's boring.
Speaker 8: Automatic can if.
Speaker 2: You're on the competition committee and they asked for your vote, is the push push in play next year?
Speaker 1: Uh? No? And here's why, Dan, here's why my excuse would be if I was on that committee. Is one is you know how we always say, hey, let's air on the side of protecting football players. We want to protect them. Yet I can think of nothing works for a quarterback other than getting hit in the back of the head. Blindside is having guys at outweigh you one thousand pounds pushing you from behind while the others are coming, and if they hit you high and you're getting pushed low, that'll bend back.
Speaker 8: It's a blown knee wait to have.
Speaker 1: The first time a star blows out his knee, if it was hurts or somebody else, that rule goes away.
Speaker 8: Hell, they'll have an emergency meeting.
Speaker 2: But Sean, the Eagles are choosing to do this right, You're exactly right, and the rules let them.
Speaker 1: So they got bulldozer behind them pushing them and they But the second Jalen hurts, he amen, my lower back feels like a disc went down into my hamstring.
Speaker 8: Then it'll change.
Speaker 1: But right now the rule says go for it, and they're really damn good at it. But to me it I don't care if it's boring. Boring football sometimes wins games. We've seen that a lot. But when it comes to this, if you're actually airing on the side of protecting the player, which we do so often in this league and overboard, maybe just maybe that you would.
Speaker 8: Want to think about that too.
Speaker 1: But if you notice, Dan, the only time we really want to protect the players when it's a head shot. We don't really care about their knees or their lower back or their shoulder. We care about the head. But I hated the quarterback sneak anyway because people are always flying at your head.
Speaker 8: With that.
Speaker 1: Now you've got people pushing, people pulling the whole thing. Yeah, I would say that that's not long for the NFL. But right now, if you're the Eagles, you do it well, use it. Why wouldn't you if you're not afraid to.
Speaker 4: Thanks Bud, good to talk to you.
Speaker 8: Appreciate you astros tonight. Brother should be a good one.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 8: Can somebody get somebody out that'd be nice at home.
Speaker 4: And a home team win a game.
Speaker 8: There you go, thanks brother, I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Sean Salisbury FORMUSC quarterback. You know, here's the thing we talk about quarterback safety. That push tush brotherly shove is not about the quarterback getting injured. It's about those offensive and defensive linemen. I mean, Jason Kelsey said, man, it's crushing. I mean literally, it's crushing on these guys that force those guys all you know, in a pig pile here, that's where the concern somebody steps on somebody's ankle or somebody's knee gets twisted. I'm not worried about the quarterback because Jalen Hurts was crowdsurfing like he just they kind of lift him up and just send him on his way there. I don't I would be more concerned with the offensive lineman. We'll take a break. Got our play of the day up next, and your phone calls. Every great day starts the night before, and that means did you get a great night's sleep? If you have a sleep number bed, I know you did. Right now, save up to five hundred dollars on the new sleep number smart bits plus special financing only at sleep Number stores or sleepnover dot com slash Patrick. Go in and ask about sleep biq technology. Ask about your sleep number, How do you get your sleep number mine seventy five, and how do you stay asleep longer? Ask about the firmness on each side of the bed, temperature benefits. Sleep number smartbeds help you sleep just right. You want a little bit colder, you want a little bit warmer. They've got everything. Also, they have tips keep consistent sleep schedule, make sleep a priority, avoid disruptions. Make sure you take advantage of the sale that's going on right now, say five hundred dollars on the new Sleep Number smart beeds pust special financing only at Sleep Number stores, Sleep number dot Com, slash Patrick Sleep Number at official Crucial Catch partner of the NFL. See store for details. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 7: Two NBA Insiders podcasting twice a week to plug you right into the NBA Great.
Speaker 10: Fight, all happening in only one place. This League Uncut, the new NBA podcast with me Chris Haynes and me Mark Stein join us as we team up to expound on everything we're covering Hearing and Chason.
Speaker 6: Listen to This League Uncut with Chris Haynes and Mark Stein.
Speaker 10: On the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 11: Oh My, God.
Speaker 4: Of the Day, check this out.
Speaker 8: Out of the hold of Jack Balmeister.
Speaker 1: The snap is back, the kick is away, it is off.
Speaker 8: Idiot is good. It's good, It's good.
Speaker 2: And the Utes have beat the Trojans at the Pomo Seal U Chahge the first Pac twelve team to win four straight against USC since Stanford did it. It's Furtesye oflear Field Sports. And that is your play of the day. Play of the day, brought to you by the Breeders Cup. The world's best are headed to Santa Anita for the Breeders' Cup World Championships November third and fourth. The countdown begins. Now, get tickets today at Breeders Cup dot com. All right, we'll get some phone calls here. Best and worst of the weekend. Buddha leads us off in San Francisco. Hi, Buddha, what up?
Speaker 8: DP?
Speaker 3: Good morning boys? Thank you Todd any given Sunday, Dan, the NFL wins yet again. Always great content and this is why it is the King of sports. I mean so many headlines. I mean Andy said Taylor can hang around all she wants. Dan, you spoff the Patriots into winning existence this weekend, much to the chagrin of Tyler. I think of all the survivor pools that got squashed yesterday, my goodness. But best of the weekend, Dan, Texas Ranger Sports in Game seven, Best two words in sports and the Dodgers fan, Dan, you know what I think about Houston suck at Astros and worst of the weekend Dan, Deshaun Watson. I mean, what a fall from the top for him. And he went from Davos Sweeney anointing him as like the next Michael Jordan and he was a top tier qv in the NFL, and now he's just a huge.
Speaker 4: Cloud of mystery.
Speaker 3: It's very strange and it's kind of sad to watch dpe.
Speaker 4: Thank you bout him. Yeah, something's going on there.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to understand ownership, the head coach, the quarterback, who's clearing him to play, who doesn't want him to play?
Speaker 4: Was he told to sit? Was he binged?
Speaker 2: I have no idea what And maybe he's being smart, Maybe he does have an injury and wants to make sure that he's there for the second half. He went one for five in the game, now maybe one for five because of the injured shoulder, but he's been medically cleared to play and then they sat him. That's what I don't understand, uh Tyler in Texas, Hi Tyler.
Speaker 11: I want to Dan, Hey, I'm a diehard Notre Dame fan here and I just wanted to give a little hot take about USC. I think that the brand of USC is dead. You and Sean talked about it. They have two or three more losses in them this year, and then you look at Caleb Williams is probably gone at the end of the year, Lincoln Riley is probably gone. Whatever players might you know, Mass Exodus leave and then you start looking towards next year as they joined the Big Ten. Their schedule next year is absolutely brutal. They open up with LSU, they have Notre Dame, they play Washington, Penn State in Michigan. So that's probably five losses right there, and you know, looking forward going into the Big Ten, it's going to be a struggle for USC. So I think that the brand of USC might be dead. But hey, Dan, at least they're getting the Big Ten money, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, they thank you to that.
Speaker 2: Creat Yeah, that's another thing when you talk about you know, PAC twelve has been really competitive. Now you go into the Big Ten next year and are you going in without your quarterback? You know, we thought, gosh, if it's a package deal, they would be losing Caleb Williams and their head coach. Now, if you're a USC fan, you might be going, can we lose our coach? We're going to lose our quarterback. Can we also lose our coach? He knows how to coach offense. I mean, you got three Heisman quarterbacks. But he's won in four in bowl games, zero to three in the college football playoffs, and really is just indifferent towards the defense. I mean, I don't even think he has a special teams coach there. That's where you go, No, we're good, We're just gonna outscore everybody.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 7: Doesn't this make the twenty twenty four NFL Draft much more saucy that now at least it's a discussion about the number one pick, when like six weeks ago, it felt like Caleb Williams was Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, Peyton Manning. There's a discussion about him and Ryan Leaf. You know, he wasn't the biggest short thing. But like since Andrew Luck, there hasn't been this big of a short thing, and now feels like it's a discussion.
Speaker 2: Well, Caleb Williams can still be the best quarterback. I don't know if that's the discussion. He's just not a heisman. The reason why he's not is he's lost Notre Dame and he lost this game. I mean, he didn't look good against Notre Dame. But I I this is what happens when the quarterback comes back. How many times are you successful when we go, oh my god, he's coming back. The expectation level, you know, Matt Liiner, Oh my god, you know, how great can he be? And then all of a sudden people start to chip away at.
Speaker 5: You a little zero point zero percent.
Speaker 2: You know, Sam Darnold when he came back, Deshaun Watson when he came back. You just I mean these are recent ones where you go, I don't know. Now we've had these analysts who a bit on the show to go, you know, I would take my Ryan Leave said, I take Michael Pennox over him. Dan Arlovsky loves Drake May So there's at least a little.
Speaker 4: Bit of a conversation there.
Speaker 2: But I would thing that most of the scouts on the outside looking in, you know, because you don't know what kind of personality he has. You know his dad's heavily involved. And you know, is there an arrogance there? Did he want a piece of a team?
Speaker 4: Are there certain teams he won't go to? Like? Those are the red flags that you got to be aware of.
Speaker 2: But as far as being a great quarterback, I think he's still a great quarterback. Andrew in Washington, Hi Andrew, what's on your mind?
Speaker 12: Good morning, Dan? And then thanks for taking my.
Speaker 13: Call my best and my best is going back to my MMW GOOTW my most must watch games of the week on Friday. Yes, I called it to Dan. I was on the bandwagon Patriots over Bills and also Florida State beating Duke to go seven to ozho for the first time since twenty fourteen. Now, I also have a quick stat of the day, if.
Speaker 12: You don't mind. With one hundred and thirty seven receiving yards last night, AJ Brown becomes only the third wide receiver in NFL history with one one and twenty five or more receiving yards in five straight games. The other two Calvin Johnson in twenty twelve and Pat Studstill in nineteen sixty six.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day, Stat of the Day Bob as Stat of the day.
Speaker 4: Stat of the day here comes that? What stat of the day?
Speaker 2: By the way, Will Ferrell was performing at Snoop Dogg's birthday party of course, Yeah, I think John c Riley the Step Brothers were performing at a surprise birthday party for Snoop Dogg. Hour two on the way, we'll give you our best and worst of the weekend. More of your phone calls as well. Update the poll results. Maybe we'll change it go with another poll question. One hour in the books, two more to go in this Monday Dan Patrick Show,