Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: My guest tonight is an actor and an Oscar winning filmmaker whose new movie is called Next Goal Wins.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, Welcome times got Yes, he is silly.
Speaker 2: Yes he is very very Yes he is very silly.
Speaker 1: Are you very silly? Yes?
Speaker 3: Brue absorbed the energy and their souls.
Speaker 1: So damn, I'm ready. Now I have fed. I'm ready. Tell me about this new movie, Next Goal Win. Tell me about it. I'll tell you about it.
Speaker 3: It's the true story of the worst soccer team in the world. And this really happened. American Summer had a team and in the history of the country, they had never won a game or scored a goal.
Speaker 1: They still they still hold the.
Speaker 3: Record for the biggest international loss and that was against Australia and that was thirty one zero.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So they didn't let that deter them. They got a new coach played by Michael Fassbender. He came in turned them around, and you know, they gave each other a little something and yeah, they both gained something from that relationship.
Speaker 1: And it's just a it's like an uplifting story.
Speaker 3: Sorry rare these days, you know, where nothing bad happens to anyone, and it's just a beautiful, uplifting story about an underdog sports team.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, tell me, tell me, tell me how you pick projects because you are funny?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: People don't notice about Taker is that he's very funny. He has a great sense of humor, and most of his projects are really funny.
Speaker 1: Like what what makes you pick up the projecte? What? What do you? What is your aim when you're doing that?
Speaker 3: I have to most of it is I want to go to work and know that I'm gonna have a good time and then I'm going to enjoy my day. And you know, because I'm a filmmaker and we get to go and do these projects. And people still haven't figured out it's not a real job, you know what we what we get to do, I mean we should like I'm amazed that they let us still do this stuff.
Speaker 1: We get to go to.
Speaker 3: Work, make up on trips, up in these things. There's not even my clothes, you're not you do these things. I'm gonna give these back after this, you know, and then then they go pretend all day and then we go home in that.
Speaker 1: But in a lot of.
Speaker 3: Times in these industries. People are like bitching a moaning about like, oh.
Speaker 1: My coffee wasn't hot enough. It's like, man, like, just chill out. This is a good.
Speaker 3: So the whole film's about just chilling out room now reminding people what we've got is pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow, I'm taking this and taking this free cup. I'm gonna taking it. You know I got that will remind too, That's it. Oh you guys think we're all big wigs. We're rolling in it. We need we get what we can get. We take what we can get, right.
Speaker 2: We don't have a whole bunch of cups for you.
Speaker 1: Tell me now, you know I'm gonna bring it up. Our flag means death, Yeah, yes, yes, Spanish Jackade, So do you.
Speaker 2: Know what beasts you was creating when you made me Spanish Jack? Do you know the trouble you started in my house?
Speaker 1: Because I can't nobody talk to me?
Speaker 2: Now? I want twenty husbands, I have, I have a sworn, have a gang of outfits.
Speaker 1: You know, the princess. So what was you thinking when you created my ouse? My? Uh uh?
Speaker 3: You know it's just we need powerful people on screen like that. You know that show so inclusive and you know, everyone's represented, and it's I mean, it's like it's about the hitcher and that's and then and then it's about the sexual character in that show, which is beautiful. It's a great thing to have. Also, you know that we we just need more shows that are different and feel like that, you know. I mean, I don't know if you've seen All the Amazing Fan which is basically.
Speaker 1: Just so so good.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's an incredible soft porn out.
Speaker 1: Of South the.
Speaker 3: People getting my face.
Speaker 1: I found one.
Speaker 3: My head is black Ben tattooed on the body of a dog.
Speaker 1: But you're such a good black Beard. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I would watch the show even if I wasn't on it, that's how good that.
Speaker 1: Show is so good.
Speaker 2: I love the relationship of black and black Beard. I just it's one of my favorite things on the show because it shows such like vulnerability and love and like a tough man finding his feelings.
Speaker 1: I think it's so important that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the show that on screen, do you know what I'm saying that tough men are supposed to have feelings too? Is like the way you found your way to love and everything. I love everything about it.
Speaker 3: You know, when you look at human beings in general. When people, yeah, when tough guys say things like, you know, let anyone get too close.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not gonna never fall in love.
Speaker 3: That's because they have a tendency to let people get too close and want to get close, and it suckers for love.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And people who're saying, oh, I can't.
Speaker 3: Get too close, that they love getting close to people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's something I've.
Speaker 1: Learned about you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's something when I first got out, I was like, he's just a big old softy and he just.
Speaker 3: Loves love and he wouldn't think it big love lover.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, including me. You had some serious cameos. Come on there, Mini driver Bronson pen Jolt Is, how you say this name is? Balki will Arnett, Fred Armisen, Like, how do you get them to come?
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean it's like I would like to think it's just me, but I think that I think that, you know, whatever the pop ularity of the show was, and like how people and people got to see some of the stuff that we'd made in the first season, I think that just was testament to the good job we were doing, and people wanted to sign on to that and you know, I think comedians follow comedians and like, yeah, we're all friends and we all like everyone. So yeah, it's a lot easier for us to get each other to convince each other. We're also massive extroversts. That's it's not that hard to get people to be in your show.
Speaker 2: Yes, now, I'm pretty sure you get this question all the time, but I'm going to ask them because you know, I'm crazy.
Speaker 1: Do you know you find as hell?
Speaker 2: I mean, you like you like one of those guys in high school that don't know that they're cute.
Speaker 3: Oh I know, and I knew then too. So the thing is, you know, I don't know if you get like you know, some of you will get this when you walk past a shiny surface like a reflection, and you catch a glimpse of yourself and you're like.
Speaker 1: Nice, is that.
Speaker 3: He's doing it?
Speaker 1: Why is he looking at me like that?
Speaker 3: I'm not going to say no.
Speaker 2: Well, people, next Goal Whiz is in the theaters now everywhere on Novem seventeenth. We're gonna take a break. Thank you Tyger for coming up. Go back to the Daily Show. Look, look, I'm gonna be honest with America right now. I'm known for, you know, not sugar coating stuff, you know, and I'm pretty loud, really loud actually kind of probably known for yelling. You know, I'm loud even when I'm whispering. So I just, I just, I just and you all get it right, you know, everybody right now? You know the upset and just getting upset. Everyone's on edge. The world is falling apart.
Speaker 1: But this is what I want to do.
Speaker 2: I want to be the example to the show to show that y'all can stay calm okay.
Speaker 1: No matter what you see, you can stay calm okay.
Speaker 2: So that's why I created this new segment called Leslie Jones tries not to lose her shit. There was a time when election stories would really get me upset, but now I'm better at staying.
Speaker 1: Uh huh okay. So let's see what's going on with the election.
Speaker 4: Third party candidates could prove to have a major impact in this next presidential election. Robert F.
Speaker 5: Kennedy Junior is pulling higher than any independent or third party candidate in more than thirty years.
Speaker 6: It's not like RFK is going to win, but he could hurt Joe Biden from winning.
Speaker 1: Oh well, that's not good. But you know, it's really not good. You know, the races. The race is tight enough.
Speaker 2: As it is without some random Kennedy dude jumping in to cause all kinds of chaos.
Speaker 1: But you know what, that's democracy, Okay.
Speaker 2: Everyone got a right to run for office. And who knows, who knows this dude might actually have some good ideas.
Speaker 5: Kennedy the candidate best known for his anti vaccine advocacy and history of promoting ugly conspiracy theories.
Speaker 7: He's linked chemicals in our water supply to gender dysphoria, antidepressants to school shootings, and assisted COVID vaccines were a tool to control people via microchips. RFK Junior said last week that somehow COVID nineteen was engineered to not target Asians and Enthgnazi Jews.
Speaker 1: Jesus wept.
Speaker 8: Uh who Now that doesn't make me happy, But then again, it's a free country, okay.
Speaker 1: Everyone has the right to believe in what they believe. See see, I did it. I did it. I didn't lose my shit, Robert Kenny. I did it. I didn't lose over Robert Kennedy. I'm so proud of myself. We did it.
Speaker 2: Everybody now, is there anything else I need to know?
Speaker 5: Recent photo on a flight is sparking an age old debate. Is it ever okay to remove your shoes on a plane? Passenger's not? This photo of presidential hopeful Robert Kennedy Junior with no shoes and key point here no socks. Kenny was actually coming back from the bathroom with no shoes, no socks.
Speaker 2: I tried, y'all saw me, right, y'all all saw me, y'all sign I tried right, You witnessed me trying. Now I'm about to go in on an ass.
Speaker 1: This mother went to the he went to the playing bathroom, bathsket.
Speaker 2: This is the disturbing video I have ever seen of a Kennedy, and that includes the one where a guy's head its valves, Like, how are you the worst?
Speaker 1: Kennedy?
Speaker 2: Your uncle killed a lady by driving off a bridge.
Speaker 1: But then I see your nasty feet.
Speaker 2: And I wish I was in that car. The only reason you should come out the play bathroom barefoot is if you got robbed in there by someone who only needs socks and shoes.
Speaker 1: Eddie, he doesn't he doesn't even believe in vaccines.
Speaker 2: How far have the Kennedy's fallen JFK was.
Speaker 1: Raw dog and Marilyn Moroe.
Speaker 2: But the only thing that's Kennedy is raw dogging.
Speaker 1: It's tetanus.
Speaker 2: Why's that playing even allowed to land?
Speaker 1: Where is the Malaysian pilot when you need him? And you know what? And you know what else? You know what else?
Speaker 2: One more thing? You for stilling Larry David's wife. Okay, that didn't go well. I guess we'll try again next time.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 2: My guest tonight is the most decorated track and field athlete of all time. She's also the.
Speaker 1: Co founder and president of Safe.
Speaker 2: Please welcome seven time Olympic gold medalist Allison Fixes.
Speaker 1: Oh my, now, perskyball.
Speaker 2: You already know I'm obsessed, obsessed with the Olympics.
Speaker 1: You know anything.
Speaker 2: Olympics now you I know you'd have seen all of the clips.
Speaker 6: Your commentary, it's everything top tier.
Speaker 1: I love, y'all. I love.
Speaker 2: I love giving Olympic athletes they love.
Speaker 1: I mean because you guys deserve it, Like let me let me, let me read your aw I'm gonna read your sauce.
Speaker 2: She has been in five Olympic Games from two thousand and four to twenty twenty. She has eleven Olympic medals, seven gold, three silver, one bronx.
Speaker 1: She has twenty.
Speaker 2: She has twenty World Championship medals. God, girl, Yes, that's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: I got this question when you were in high.
Speaker 2: School and running track. Did you ever think you was going to do all of that?
Speaker 4: Not at all.
Speaker 6: Now, in high school they called me chicken legs. I was just concerned with making friends, and you know, I was like, maybe I could get a scholarship to college, and that was my big thing. But I had no idea or even really aspirations to take it this far.
Speaker 2: Really, when when did you get aspirations?
Speaker 1: Like when did it click on?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was somewhere in the middle, towards the end of high school where I was like, oh, you know, maybe I could go to the Olympics, maybe I could make this a career. But I wanted to be an elementary school teacher, so it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, And you would have been running fast after them kids.
Speaker 4: You got back.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, now, I know this is crazy because you know, I'm going to ask this because I'm.
Speaker 1: A black girl like you.
Speaker 2: When you're running, how do you choose how to do your hair, because see, people don't know that Black women, you know, we got to put our hair in a certain way, you know, explain all of like the hairstyle.
Speaker 6: I'm a braids type of girl, and so I just don't want to be bothered. And so yeah, usually some type of braids or corn rows or something that makes it really easy so I can focus on what I have to get done.
Speaker 1: Exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: Now, this is my big question, and this is always going to be the big question. And men, y'all don't even understand how insulting you are that you don't even understand the stuff that female athletes go through.
Speaker 1: We got to have babies, y'all want to have babies. Y'all get your wife to do it, and you ain't got to go through that.
Speaker 2: So tell this, Tell this America how it feels to have to not only be this Olympic Icon, but then turn around have a baby and then have people tell you that you can't do it after you'd had your baby.
Speaker 1: Tell us about that.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's so hard and women have been doing it forever, and the thing about it is just not being supported. You know, everyone wants the glory moment when everything is great and when you've come back and you've gone through the struggles, but they don't want to support you through that. And that's what I experience and really wanted to fight on the behalf of other mothers to say we have to do this differently. You know, we need to support every athlete holistically and that means motherhood as well.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, absolutely absolutely. Now, now, was that criticism and all of that stuff coming towards you the like the meaning of you doing your shoe your own shoe?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? You know.
Speaker 6: I parted ways with Nike over that fight for maternal protections. I was looking for another footwear sponsor and I couldn't find it, and so in talking with my brother, we just decided to do it ourselves.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 6: Yeah. We thought we were making Yeah, we thought we were making shoes that I could wear in the Olympics. But then we learned as we went down that path that shoes haven't been made for women. And what that means is a shoe was made off of a last, which is just a mold of a foot, and it's been the mold of a man's foot to make women sneakers.
Speaker 4: So we do things differently.
Speaker 6: Our shoes are built off the mold and off the function of the woman's body, and they're they're just specifically made for her.
Speaker 1: That's right, right, women looking out for women. Now, you know, I got to ask you.
Speaker 2: You know, I know you retired, but I know you got some favorites. So who should we be looking at for, you know, coming up Olympics.
Speaker 6: I mean, we have so much talent. I'm really excited about Gabby Thomas.
Speaker 4: She's doing so well.
Speaker 6: Anna Hall, and then of course you know I have to my mother's Shelley and Fraser Price.
Speaker 1: You know, Oh my god, love a man.
Speaker 4: I think this is going to be her final Olympics.
Speaker 6: That's my girl, and just excited to see what she's gonna do as well.
Speaker 2: Now now I know what Skari is. I mean, like so exciting, like exciting, exciting, right, because let me tell you I've I've gotten the chance to go to Olympics, which you guys, if you ever get a chance, I mean seriously, just to even go to one event, try to go to track and field.
Speaker 1: It will change your life.
Speaker 2: It is so beautiful to watch and it's it's out and it's green, and it's not just the running that's going on. It's the middle, the all the events in the middle. Yeah, the people throwing spears and stuff. Now, I got to see you saying bolt run and it was you guys. And I hate to say it this way, but y'all look like horses almost, like.
Speaker 1: Your legs are so strong. And these these dudes was running.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about the veins and they's like.
Speaker 1: That's what you're saying. And you're saying it was just like.
Speaker 4: Fast.
Speaker 1: Now, how do you get that fast? Is it build on legs? Is it like? What is that?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a combination.
Speaker 6: It's definitely, you know, a god given talent, but it comes with a lot of hard work and so you get faster in the weight room, you know, all the weights, the pliometrics, all of those things, and a lot of practice, a lot of dedication.
Speaker 1: Wow, what is your favorite event to run?
Speaker 4: I love the two hundred.
Speaker 6: I always used to call it my baby, but then I had a baby and I was like, okay, I don't think I do that, But that's the perfect distance to me, really, okay, because my start isn't that's all.
Speaker 1: You have to have a good start.
Speaker 4: You have to have a good start and the four hundred is just too long.
Speaker 1: It's lack of acid.
Speaker 6: And anybody who's run a four hundred they know about that. So the tour does like the sweet spot.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I just want to ask you everything, and I have all these questions.
Speaker 1: Okay, last question.
Speaker 2: What does it feel like to be Oprah's Favorite Thing?
Speaker 4: It's so special. I feel so proud.
Speaker 6: We just launched our running shoe and so to have the Felix Runner on Oprah's Favorite Things again, it's our second time being on.
Speaker 4: There, so I mean, you know, to be you know, Oprah approved.
Speaker 1: That''s right, girl, you legit. You want to sell it, You got to sell it.
Speaker 2: I want to say, as another black woman, if no one's ever told you, and I'm pretty sure you've heard this once before, I have never have been so tremendously proud of your accomplishments. Thank you so much for being the person you are and being strong and fighting and just showing people that you got to fight for yourself. I love you, and I think you're I think you're a bag of chips and all that.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying, real for real.
Speaker 9: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast