Speaker 1: And now move the Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks.
Speaker 2: What's up, everybody, Welcome to move the sticks, DJ, Bucky Rhett. I feel like we were all just together because we were we were last.
Speaker 3: Night watching the watching the Super Bowl. I'm gonna go ahead, Buck.
Speaker 4: I felt bad because I was walking out of the building.
Speaker 5: I just read at the desk, just kind of hanging out, like like when when they.
Speaker 6: Just sitting there there.
Speaker 7: You know, I was doing my best Chris Rose impression for the the re air of our NFL Game Day Final, which you know is done live from New Orleans. So those guys shut the Superdome down. And when that gets shut down, then I pop up and you hear my voice every now and then on the re air of NFL Game Day Finals. So I think I get a I got a credit for that when it wins an Emmy.
Speaker 3: So yeah, rightly, so rightfully.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's time for the lead block, presented by Team Mobile for Business. Football needs a network willing to go the extra yard. So do you go further with T Mobile for Business, guys, I'm going open, I'm going open floor here. We got a chance to watch the game together discuss the game. But Buck, I'm curious, now we've had a night to kind of sleep on it and digest it, what stands out to you the most.
Speaker 5: The thing that sends out is just telling over everything just as we're debating the two teams leading up to the thing. I think the back to back champion thing, the three peat thing, the sixteen or seventeen one score games and a row thing made everyone scared.
Speaker 4: To go against the Kan City Chiefs.
Speaker 5: But when you really looked at this and if you did a tell of the tape, it was decidedly in the eagles favor.
Speaker 4: And last night we were.
Speaker 5: Talking, I said, it kind of reminded me of when Mike Tyson got knocked out by Buster Douglasy was fumbling around for his mouthpiece, and I'm gonna go even farther with that analogy. It reminded me of Mike Tyson taken on the event to Holy Field when he bit his ear. I felt like we saw the Kan City Chiefs act out of character because very early in the game they were over one filmed by the talent disparity between their team and the Eagles, and I think it played into the way that they played.
Speaker 4: We've never seen the Kansa the Chiefs look like.
Speaker 3: That, well once once once we have and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Speaker 7: And that's what this that's what this felt like. This felt like a team that did not have answers for a more talented defensive front. I mean, you know they I think in the second half we saw him try to kind of chip a little bit more and a couple of times actually ended up working against them, you know, chip the edge into the center, Mahome steps up and banging the interior. I mean, it was like anything that they tried, you know. That's what it also felt like too. It was like, you know, it's like it's you know, like trying to run up you know, you know, run up a hill that's got water pouring down it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: It was just like just kind of fighting against it everywhere everything they did. You know, even though like we talked about it at the at our halftime show, you know, like DeAndre Hopkins like it's a shot to put them in fueld goal range to get some kind of positivity before the end of the half, and guy with the most sure hands maybe in the.
Speaker 6: League over the course of his career, loses.
Speaker 7: It, you know, just drops it, and you know that again that adds to kind of the building frustration that they go into the half the half with. But I think ultimately DJ with this comes down to and then for the purposes of what we do here, just extreme roster construction in terms of developing and committing to the defensive front. And that's really what showed up in a large way. I mean you go down through the line. Mean, you got three first round picks, which you know is pretty dang good, right, Jordan Davis, Jalen Carter, Nolan Smith. The later two obviously the ones that really showed up, Brandon Lliams, well, Brandy Graham right of course another one sure as part of the rotation, and then Milton Williams, Moro Ojamo, You've got Jylex Hunt, who was you know, like a firecracker coming off the edge, and this one as a rookie you're throwing Josh Sweaten there as a fourth round pick.
Speaker 6: And it's just over the course of the last five.
Speaker 7: Years, they've just been pounding that dedication to upgrading and continuing to fortify that front. And I think that's one of my favorite things when we get to the draft is when you see teams you know, go in there and continue to try to upgrade a position that is already a perceived strength, right, because that's what allows you to have this kind of depth and talent when you get into big games like this.
Speaker 3: Oh, I want to get to that point.
Speaker 2: Because Jack, our buddy Jack Android, who does great research, he had posted this. So think about the twenty four Eagles. They lost a Hall of Fame center in Kelsey, six time Pro Bowl defensive tackle in Fletcher Cox, their sack leader in twenty two and twenty three, and Hassan Reddick. They and he didn't write this, but they even missed on Bryce Huff who they paid, and they still had an abundance of riches of all the guys that you just mentioned there. So it's never a problem solved, move on to something else. It is a they are watering that plant every single year.
Speaker 3: Buck.
Speaker 2: It is pass rush as offensive line, and they might have some other needs, maybe we need to maybe we need some bushes over it, but you know what, we're gonna water these We're gonna water these ones every single year.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And it's not only that, like they're aggressive in everything that they do because as much as we've talked about the last day and a half about their offensive and defensive lines, they've also made bold moves when it came to upgrading the playmakers that they wanted.
Speaker 4: Uh. You saw the trade that they made to acquire A J. Brown.
Speaker 5: They doubled down by making sure they had an elite receiver that they drafted early in the draft. And DeVante Smith you think about now, and Quinnan Mitchell first round cornerback.
Speaker 4: They double up in the second round.
Speaker 2: It feels like they've got first and second und players at every position everywhere.
Speaker 5: They realized what they lost when Chelsea Gardner Johnson departed, So what they do They bring him back and pay him. This is a team that I would say for all of this stuff we talk about, Uh, their bold moved whatever is, they quickly acknowledge their mistakes and they quickly worked to repair them.
Speaker 7: Let's talk for a moment though, about risk tolerance too, because that's a part of this equation as well. Right, you don't get Jalen Carter where they got Jalen Carter. You know, if you aren't taking into account the entirety of the player profile, which.
Speaker 6: Is everyone knows had some significant things happen off the.
Speaker 7: Field with the car situation, but they're able to get comfortable enough with it and with the player, and they bring in.
Speaker 6: A support structure to help the player.
Speaker 7: I mean, like it wasn't the same type of risk with with Nolan Smith, but obviously enough for a talented player like that to slip to him at the back end of the first round. There was some risk there. I mean ended up taking to Kobe Dean in the third round. I would argue at that point, it's not a risk. Is a really good player they ended up getting in the third round because other teams weren't willing to I think that that part of it too, is kind of intriguing to see play out on this stage.
Speaker 2: Well let's let's take those individually. Okay, Yeah, So Jalen Carter had off the field issues. If you watch j Carter's tape, he played with passion, energy, fire like and you talk to people and do your background on him. Yes, needs to grow up. There's some maturity stuff up. This guy loves football like he is on the football field, you'll see him. I remember a play I think it was against Kentucky where he's chasing a play, you know, thirty forty yards downfield. So he has some off the field issues, but he loves football. Nolan Smith didn't have production. Everybody was panicked, didn't have sack production. Well, if you look at that situation, start, first of all, he loves football. This guy plays with energy and passion. He's in a rotation with the best defense in football where they blow everybody out. So you're in a rotation, you're only gonna play half the game anyways, and you're sharing snaps, your production is not going to be there. You can look at the whole picture here and see Nakobe Dean. He's undersized, you know he's undersized. Well, guess what. He loves football again, passionate leader and it ended up being Look, the size issue got him this year. Maybe you could say that contributed, maybe it didn't to his injury. When he was playing, he was playing lights out. They have collected all these guys, Buck that are they are football character Like there's we talk about all the time. There's personal character and there's football character football character wise on the field. Those guys that I remember having this discussion, you know, I won't mention the player, but as a player is going to go on to be a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 3: And that was.
Speaker 2: Somebody had told me. A coach of his had said, look, he's made mistakes. He you know, don't don't. I don't doubt it for a second. But the threat of having football taken away from him, you can mean he won't be able to live without football. He loves football so much that I think that will correct some of the behavioral stuff that he struggled with.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, it's It's funny because a lot of us always talk about, like, hey man, you want guys that love it, that obsess over it.
Speaker 4: They're committed and not just interested in the sport.
Speaker 5: And when you talk about all of those guys, and I've heard Syrian about it, I've heard other coaches talk about it, like to play for us, they have to love ball because what we're going to ask them to do, you have to love it or you will fully embrace all of the things that they're gonna ask you to do.
Speaker 4: I told DJ read this. You may have been out of the room.
Speaker 5: I talked about watching the Eagles in pregame, and I remember I was working with the Jags and I remember coming to one of my colleagues like look at the difference, Like, look, they're having a practice in pregame with the development of the practice squad and the young guys, and they are going when I mean they're coming off the field fully lathered up. I was like wow on a Sunday. And so what it told me is they're no Burger eaters on that team, meaning guys that get on the trip and just eat all the snacks and they're hanging out on the sideline.
Speaker 6: They're gonna work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everybody has to work.
Speaker 5: And I think neary Nick Sirianne for all the things that people have kind of taken them to task for in terms of his personality and all those things, I believe his pedigree is all over this Eagles team meaning Mountain Union, three time national champion, played under a great coach who has a winning tradition. You think about all the things that he learned along the way, all of that comes out. Rick Patino talked about how Nick Siriani in Indianapolis because Nick wanted to know about how to build a culture a winning environment. How he's always asking those questions. I think the way that you see this team play, it is a parent that they have high standards and they get guys who really relish those standards and expectations.
Speaker 6: I think that's really interesting.
Speaker 7: The other part of this is, you know, we talk about the players, but I think, you know, we also need to look at the power of position coaches in this in this equation too. With the Philadelphia Eagles, you know, you talk about bringing a group together and you might be talking about two of the best in the league. Talking about Clint Hurt who came over in twenty three to run the defensive line senior defensive assistant and then obvious Stoutland University with with coach Jeff Stoutland has has you know, resurrected Makai Becton's career, has developed Jordan Mylotta into a premier left tackle. You're talking about those interior guys being a cohesive unit as well, with with Dickerson and Cam Jurgen stepping in for a legend in Jason Kelcey and win in a flip in Super Bowl in the first year without him. Like, I think those two in particular, not to say that the other guys you know, don't meet that standard, because they certainly do, but man, I mean what those guys have done with those units in particular. Now, look, they've been given great talent, right, but you got to develop it, and you got to mold it and you gotta shape it.
Speaker 6: I think that's important to know.
Speaker 4: I want DJ to bring this up because we talked about it last night.
Speaker 5: He talked about how they are willing to draft guys that are on the comp they're not quite fully realize as prospects, but they understand it may take a year or two for them to do it, and that I believe is combined with what they have as a coaching staff.
Speaker 4: We always talk about coaches.
Speaker 5: In today's game, oh man, guys aren't developing like you got to have a finished product. The Philadelphia Eagles are not afraid of coaching unrefined prospects.
Speaker 4: They have a plan.
Speaker 5: In place that if there may be a year or two out, they're okay with that. All the guys that you mentioned on the offensive line, those guys weren't ready to play when they got there, but they afforded the luxury of sitting a year or two behind a really good offensive line. To me, is everything that works together. It's the front office, the coaching staff, and the players. They all are in lockstep in terms of they know exactly what they want to get, what fits their environment, and then their coaches and front office understand how to maintain that environment.
Speaker 2: And also, I mean, I'll give a shout out to my guy and Jeremia Washington coach, and yeah, he's coaching the outside linebackers and pass rushers. And think about we came into the league together as scouts. His dad's a legendary defensive line coach, but Washed came in as a scout, so he has a perspective to look at somebody like Jlex Hunt, or to look at somebody like Nolan Smith and see, okay, there's work to The tools here from a scouting standpoint are so rich, and then it's up to me to develop them and coach them and refine them. But like, give me those guys all day long. Whereas I think sometimes traditional coaches we always joke buck they want, hey, give it to me and clear packaging, already assembled, no assembly required. I just want to coach scheme. I want to be able to tell him we're running this stunt. And when we like, here's Keith like no, no, no, we got to work on fundamentals. Man, we got to stay after practice and we got to grind through how you're getting out of your stance. Like, we've got to work on those things. And I think I was thinking of Aaron Glenn. Aaron Glenn getting the head coaching job with the Jets. Aaron Glenn started off as a scout. Do you think that's helped him with some of the pieces they've added in the secondary in Detroit over the last few years because he can sign off and say, I know what that's supposed to look like.
Speaker 3: Now it's up to me to get it out of them. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the relationship is important in terms of the scouting and the coaching, making sure.
Speaker 4: They marry up.
Speaker 5: So often we act like both of those operations working silos when they really should be working together. When it comes to player acquisition and play a development, they need to be on the same page.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, boy, watch these guys were rolling this gosh.
Speaker 7: I mean to see again to think about you know, it's not just that the blue chip talent.
Speaker 6: I mean, even though you could argue.
Speaker 7: It was there with guys like Josh Sweat and Jaylex Hunt, but the fact that they come you know, and.
Speaker 3: Like that though yeah, I mean that's what I'm saying there for that whole ride.
Speaker 7: That is a credit to their development, their commitment to it, and their passion for it. I think that's a great point you make about a scouting background, you know, for a coach and understanding what to look for and then how you.
Speaker 6: Can mold those raw skills right and then make it into a big time player. So credit I think.
Speaker 2: Also I think also Buck is uh if you look at what's and how he's I mean how he's Look, he's the best executive in the NFL. I don't know how you and they can argue against it just now with what he's done. So but I look at when you had how we and the Andy Reid influence of how what Andy believed in core philosophy wise, and then you incorporate really kind of i'll call the Ravens model that came in when when Joe d and Andy Widel came in there and then they kind of mixed this whole thing together. Wash is there who has experience in all these different areas they've kind of taken like there's there used to be kind of oh, you could be kind of an analytics team or you're like an old school scouting teast, like they have mixed it all together and Howie has put it all together where it is the it's the envy of the league.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: They got somebody, as somebody texted me, they got they got Sakwan Barkley for.
Speaker 3: Gabe Davis Prices. Like, think about that for a second.
Speaker 5: I mean not only like that is great, and I want to go back to what you were talking about in terms of the best of both worlds, right, And I can tell you, as someone who didn't grow up scouting in the Baltimore Ravens system, it was always the envy of the league when we talked about it because it's team like they never missed on top picks. And then you talk about the Eagles and the analytics and how they were able to mix that in the other thing that I'm going to talk about in Red alluded to it when he talked about the coaching, making Sirianni be the CEO type coach, making him concentrate on being the head coach as opposed to the head coach, class play caller and those things. I believe their merits to that, and I believe that Sirianni deserves a lot of credit, one for improving as a coach, but two the foresight that the upper management had and saying, hey, we need you to learn how to run the entire operation. Your job is to manage the team. DJ you talked to me about what they say fundamental days, where they spend days like things that show up on tape, they fix the problems.
Speaker 4: You know, we heard in postgame Brandon Graham talked.
Speaker 5: About we didn't have any victory Mondays, and so to me, I can tell you having been around the team that had a lot of Mondays off, when you work on Monday to correct the things that showed up on Sunday, it allows you to jump on Wednesday, which is the first practice day of the week, with clarity in terms of what we need to do and how we need to get better. This is a team that is not only a development team when it comes to the long range. They are an improvement team that each week they try to take steps to get better.
Speaker 4: And we saw it comedy in the championship.
Speaker 2: I want to get back to you on that. Talking about those fundamental days. One of the things that we've talked about previously is non negotiables right. We did a whole episode on this in the past about hey, these are things every team should have that you should have a spouting philosophy that says we can take them in different shapes and sizes, but we will not compromise on this, and you can go position by position. We talk about you know, Bill Belichick and that presentation. He will not play with the dumb safety. I don't care for the most athletically gifted guy in the world if you are not smart and not play safety for him, not happening. And what one of the tenants that we've talked about over the last few years. And it's something to keep in mind as we go into this draft. And I'll give I'll give the Chiefs credit on this as well. Do you want the most underrated thing in scouting right now is tackling?
Speaker 3: Look at the tackling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the tackling on the perimeter. And look at Cooper dejen and his batting average out there in space against those athletes, and.
Speaker 3: Flip it around.
Speaker 2: Look at some of the like Nick Bolton and some of the tackles Chili good.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 2: And that's why I'm I'm sitting here going, oh, you know, I get paid to cover. Not not anymore, man, not in this league. If you can't tackle with the way the past game is horizontally in this league right now, all this, you know the shell coverage, you better get some corners that can freaking tackle.
Speaker 5: Man, it's funny that you brought that up. When I was at the East West Shrine game. I didn't get a chance to talk to PJ. Fleck from Minnesota directly, but I was listening to a podcast. We were talking about the things that they've done to punch above their weight at the University of Minnesota and the things that they talk about turnovers one. Mis tackling was two because mistackling leads to explosive plays. And when we looked at those two teams play, particularly the Eagles who decided we're not gonna blitz, We're gonna play an umbrella coverage which required you to tackle in space. Man, it is underrated the value in having guys on the perimeter that can get players down in one on one situations.
Speaker 4: You never saw the cancer.
Speaker 5: The Chiefs really have those big explosive plays that they can have with their speed athletes and Xavier Worthy and Marquis Solery Brown on the horizontal things and that is a.
Speaker 4: Testament to their ability to tackle well in space.
Speaker 7: Well, look at some of the players you know from some universities you know that have top flight defenses that send guys to the league. I mean, you look at what Tom Allen has done in his career at Penn State going down to Clemson. It's takeaways, tackling, effort, takeaways, tackling effort. Kane Wamick at Alabama the same way. Takeaways tackling and effort, takeaways tackling. So like that, I mean, and then you find guys that fit those bills. And obviously the scouts like you can see that when I'm sure you guys can attest when.
Speaker 6: You go to schools like you can see the schools that.
Speaker 7: Make the emphasis on that type of fundamental as it comes to And look, I know it's it's a lot different now is where you know, we tackle far less, we talk about it far less, you know, in the landscape.
Speaker 2: But for the corner position, I would argue that, well, I got Bucket's been in the league longer than I was, but I got in a three and we did literally have we had conversations that he's a cover corner like he's he'sn't really tackle.
Speaker 3: We were paying him to cover. He's a cover corner.
Speaker 2: And now and I you know, my opinion on it is that just we've seen so many condensed formations and offensive coaches have gotten so smart and that they are going to make you the force player and you can't hide anymore out there on the perimeter.
Speaker 4: It has always been a part of the game. It has always been a thing.
Speaker 5: Like I can tell you going back to when I was in Jacksonville and we played against the Titans or the Oils, whatever they would call at the time, with Eddie George. They would deliberately crack the safeties and make the cornerback have to tackle Eddie George over and over and over again.
Speaker 4: Tackling has always been a part of it.
Speaker 5: And I'm gonna say this because people and some coaches like to use the lack of practic this time, we're not putting pads on.
Speaker 4: As an excuse for not having a good tackling team.
Speaker 5: That's not it, man. The fundamentals can be taught without having the pass on. You have to be committed to doing time on task to being a really good tackling team. And it also not only has to be who you bring in. They need to be good tacklers, but it has to be a point of emphasis. You can't cut out three to five minutes of tackling to get some more scheme stuff. I love what we're was saying, takeaways, tackling and effort. To me, that's really what it's about. And we're seeing that the great teams, they all emphasize those things.
Speaker 2: Have no doubt that was now, well, that's a rap actually for the lead block presented by Team Mobile for Business. Football means a network will undergo the extra yard. So do you go further with Tea Mobile for Business. We're gonna take a quick pause. Let's hit the chief side of this thing. We haven't hit that title. We'll hit that right after this. All right, guys, let's jump over to the other side here the Kansas City chiefs. I'll give you my quick analogy and uh, you know what, we'll get into all the things there and where they go and this you know, sky's not falling Kansas City. You've got Patrick Mahomes, you've got Andy Reid, you've got a great defense. We'll get to all that stuff. But my my image that I had was, you know, if the super Bowl was on the if the super Bowl was on the thirtieth floor of a building, the Chiefs have to use the stairs, man like, they don't have an elevator anymore like that. That it's hard like And that's what's incredible what they've done. And they've won all these games this year, all these one possession games, all these close games, all these late comebacks, but it felt like everything was so hard and eventually that wasn't going to work, you know, And I thought in this game it was you know they got that was just kind of exposed in this one. Every single worth that they had which they had been able to overcome and cover up, got exposed.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Look, and I think you know, the thing that we're going to talk about now is how do they rebuild the offensive line because that that is exactly what got exposed in their last Super Bowl loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the COVID year. And then that's kind of where we felt like this was going now and they're gonna have to spend a lot of resources and was that was that.
Speaker 2: The trade for I got to go back and look that up now, Was that did they trade for Orlando Brown right after that Super Bowl?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was the first remake, the first iteration of the remake, right, it was after that.
Speaker 6: And then remember Toney was already.
Speaker 3: There, right, yeah, he's been there.
Speaker 6: He was the free agency signing.
Speaker 7: But it was the tackles that they really redid, and that's when they went out and got you know, was it John Taylor right after that too? I felt like that was not long after right there, and you know, they spent all that money to go get those guys in those resources and then you know, fortified the interior right after that, right, Uh, well with Creed Humphrey and then and Trey Brown. So they've got to go they gotta go that route again with.
Speaker 3: The tax traymith, right, what I say, Trey Brown?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're right. So yeah, I I think that's that's the one thing.
Speaker 7: And then the other part of it is is like this you know, kind of slow deceleration from where they were, uh when they won a Super Bowl before this last run, right it, which which was a complete you know, I don't want to say.
Speaker 6: Complete, but it was a it was a it was a total.
Speaker 7: Slowing down from the way that they attacked defenses in the past, right Tyreek kill's gone, We're gonna find a different way to operate, and they had done that very well. But when you can't protect, and when you can't you know, allow your quarterback to make some of those you know, some of those quicker some of those throws, and allow your your receivers to make plays with the ball in their hands.
Speaker 6: Like you're just you're not going to.
Speaker 7: Have a successful outing at the highest level against top tier talent.
Speaker 6: And that's just they just didn't have, you know, the wardaddies to borrow your expression.
Speaker 7: To fight this uh this way, to fight that battle this way.
Speaker 6: I'll be curious to see how they reinvent themselves with this one.
Speaker 5: Well, look, man, at one, I think the reinvention that they were able to do, and I'll say this, five Super.
Speaker 4: Bowls and six years is ridiculous.
Speaker 5: The only thing, the only thing that I can say comes close to that is in the same realm as the Buffalo Bill's going four straight.
Speaker 4: I came to the Bills on the heels of that.
Speaker 5: But just the resilience, the competitive stamina, the focus that you have to have to go back to back to back like the Chiefs have gone and to think about five times in six years, it's remarkable. Even though they have a three and two record in that run is one of the great runs.
Speaker 4: That we've seen in the National Football League.
Speaker 5: To me, this kind of feels like that pause that the New England Patriots had after they won three and four years, where you have to take a reset and it may take them a while to kind of get back. Patrick Mahomes would give them a chance, but I think what we saw they kind of have to bottom out a little bit and build it back up. They've been able to kind of patchwork the offensive, the offense for a little bit, the offensive line and the playmakers. They got to commit to building this offense up right way for them to legitimately have a chance to deal with some of the talented teams that they're going to face over the next few years. This is a chance for Beach and Andy Reid to really reset refolks and do it. And I'm actually glad that they got knocked out and they didn't lose it on cars because I believe this gives them a chance to really see where the flaws and the weakenses are in their team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, the defense is still in great shape. I mean, they play they played fine, they stopped the run, they did what they had to do. They let the ball go over their head a couple times, but that was a risk. That was the way they had to play that game against that Eagles offense. So defensively, they're still They've got some free agents, but they're still in a good spot there.
Speaker 3: I would say. The hardest thing is tackles are hard to find. Man, when you're picking thirty, thirty one or thirty two every year, there's not many of them and their premium positions and they go so at some point time and I don't know that this is the right one, but at some point in time they're going to have to probably be aggressive and go try and go get one, like trade up and go get a tackle. Think about the Eagles, They've had the luxury of having Lane Johnson as a Hall of Famer, and you just plug it. You you draft one of those guys in the top five, and you hit, you set it, you set it and forget it. Like he's said, like that, you don't have to worry about that. And then they they struck gold.
Speaker 2: Uh you know with my lotta and uh in a late round on a rugby player and ended up hitting on that.
Speaker 3: But that's it's so hard to do.
Speaker 2: So I look at it, you know, doing the Charger games of gosh, you know, you think, man, the Charger's got a long way to go to figure out how to close the gap. I'm like, you know what, they've got the two tackles, like two young tackles that you can just set it and forget it. Like they're hard to find. Man, They're really really hard to find. That's gonna be the biggest challenge for the Chiefs to me, and Brett Veach is really really good and he's gonna he's gonna have to figure out a way to go address that. They can't they can't run through the tournament. In my opinion, it's gonna be hard to continually run through that tournament playing the way they've had to play. And in hindsight, I know in they said Joe Tounei was their most valuable player for kicking out to left tackle. But last night was the first time that I thought about it, and I thought, you know what, did weaken two positions? Like if he's a guard, he's really good at guard, And now we can develop all we can send all our help, and like I said, it felt like in this one buck there was these holes in the boat and they plug one and then there was water coming out of another one.
Speaker 5: You know, there is something to be said for that, Like in moving someone out, you basically weaken two positions. Because Tuney's not a natural left tackle and you've given up what he was as an all pro guard. There's something they have to consist it. But they have to fix that. I mean we've said it. I mean for two years they've had issues on the edges. I mean it's been a huge issue. They tried to throw money at it with Juwan Taylor. He certainly, in my mind, has been a disappointment in terms of what they thought that he would be on Perimer. They have to fix that because, look, if number fifteen is uncomfortable, they don't have a chance. They have to make sure that he is always comfortable, because if he's comfortable, he can get it done by himself.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean you think about it.
Speaker 7: You know, outside of the twenty one draft, right, which is when they nailed it on Creed Humphrey in the second and Trey Smith in the sixth, there's not another guy that rotates in there that they've hit from the draft on the offensive line.
Speaker 6: Yeah, since twenty one, right, since twenty one or before?
Speaker 3: Yeah, or before.
Speaker 7: I mean, like we were talking about all the you know, all the guys that have been on that line for the Eagles, you know, even prior to that. But I mean, like, you know, Janie Morris, third round pick in twenty three, Kingsley Suamantilla, second round pick this year, rookie didn't hadn't worked out. I don't know if they're ready to close the book on that yet, but you know, there's some time there perhaps, But then you know, the other guys are you know, kind of depth players it was, you know, Norzad Hanson, Like, you know, it just hasn't hit that way for them outside of those two guys.
Speaker 6: Score really dang good. Let's not take away from that, but you know.
Speaker 7: There's just not that there's not that that kind of cupboard full of guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look, we have to mention it.
Speaker 2: I know, he's he's a no doubt first ballot Hall of Fame are going to go down as arguably the best player to ever play the position, at least in the conversation. But Kelsey doesn't have the juice he had, you know, three years ago, four years ago. So they need they need to get some more dynamic players to add to their skill position group. That's that's got to go along with it. And I would also add had zero run game, none, and they don't have They don't have a big time back.
Speaker 4: I mean, well that that was the thing.
Speaker 5: They don't have anyone that when we stand up in the defensive meeting and we talked about, hey, guys, this week we got the cancy the Chiefs. Who's the running back that we fear that we have to stop. Look, they tried it a few years ago, Clyde edwars Allar, but it wasn't.
Speaker 4: It didn't work out for them.
Speaker 5: They need a big time back that will offset some of the pressure and attention that you put on Patrick Mahomes. We've seen it and it's one of the things that I think will be the theme of the off season. We can talk about the renaissance of the running backs, but I would say it's not necessarily just the renaissance of the back. Is teams that had established quarterbacks paired them with an established back and it opened up the offense. Look at the Eagles, look at the Ravens, even look at the Packers. When you have a marquee back playing with the marquee quarterback, it makes it nearly impossible.
Speaker 4: For a defense to really come up with the answers to defense.
Speaker 7: And you know, the last thing I'll say on the Chiefs, and you know where they're at from a roster standpoint, is, you know, we also got to take into consideration.
Speaker 6: You know, Rashie Rice was out for pretty much.
Speaker 3: That's dude, that's a great point.
Speaker 7: That's a that's a huge You could make an argument as to whether he's not, you know, a wide receiver one on on.
Speaker 6: Every team in the league, but he was on this.
Speaker 7: Team, yes, and that's tough to overcome when, like, you know, you don't just have again another guy like that you can you could throw in there. Obviously they traded for DeAndre Hopkins, tried try it just never quite got there.
Speaker 2: Yea, with hot No, I think that's a great point, you get. I mean, think about if they can somehow go find a tackle and free agency, I don't know, you know, you don't Ronnie Stanley on the back nine. Maybe he comes in there.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's ways you can try and address that, and then if you get an explosive back, which this draft has plenty of, you can find your future tight end in this draft as well. It can look different. There's not a lot that needs to be done defensively. I mean, they have a lot of talented young players. Got to pay some of them, but they're in great shape on that side of the ball. All right, guys, it's time for Hot or Not, brought to you by with Sabbi Hot Cloud Storage Buck. There's only one coordinator in this game that's gonna leave, and that's Kellen Moore. Looks like it's gonna be the head coach of the New Orleans Saints and coming off of a hot performance to say the least, with the last two games, the NFC Championship Game and then the Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: Look, man, I'm gonna say this, I am really really impressed by the growth that Kellen Moore displayed as a coach. We always talk about players getting developed, and this is the developmental league for players, but it's also a developmental league for coaches. You had a chance to see Kellen Moore as as a coordinator for the Charges. We all watched him as the coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys, and I would say that Kellen Moore's growth as a run game caller in terms of calling the run game, being creative with the run game and those things, man, it's going to help him so much going forward as a head coach and maybe head coach, play caller and those things. What he was able to do with the Eagles is I couldn't even imagine how he's gonna be able to do it because I'm like, man, he's gonna bring the same playbook that he said other places, they're gonna try and throw it. It's not gonna match the personnel. And early in the year he put all the creativity in the run game as opposed to the passing game. And this offense, even though the Super Bowl numbers don't reflect it, their creative running game keeps defensive coordinators up at night and then it allows them to be a little more simplistic, but the passing game yet still explosive in both areas.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's smart, and I think the evolution for Kellen. You think about this three teams in three years, right with Dallas to the Chargers and the now to the Eagles, and man, I think that.
Speaker 6: Point soon before. Yeah, I think a lot.
Speaker 7: Of times when you start seeing that kind of movement, you wonder like, all right, is the is the is the luster coming off a once very shiny object in terms of the coaching community. But man, he is he has really found himself in Philly and yeah, I mean having a generational talent and Saquon Barkley this certainly helps, and a really good offensive line and the tools to work with that way. But I think now it's so valuable for him to really see it and to explain that, you know, in detail, that formula you know, to Jeff Ireland and a Mickey Loomis. I'm like, guys, I know I can win if we find ways to simulate that type of construction. And the Saints have done in the past, I mean, arguably had one of the greatest drafts in history in the Alvin Kamara Draft, Ryan Ramcheck, Marshaun Lattimore, that whole thing. Like they I'm not saying they can do that again, but they can find ways to reemphasize what's important, especially to a Kellen Moore let offense and team, and we'll see where they.
Speaker 3: Go with it.
Speaker 2: Jeff Ireland's really good man. He is a good evaluator, and I think if you give him the instructions buck like that, that's to me as a great personnel guy, when you say, hey, this is what we're looking for, he can go find it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, I think it would be interesting DJ. I'm pretty sure this was in his background. Kellen Moore's dad was a great high school coach, yes.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yeah, and his brothers a coordinator at Missouri.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So like he understands what this is.
Speaker 5: This is not something that I would say is going to be challenged or daunting in terms of doing it. What I want to see and this is what I believe the Saints haven't done. I want to know what that their identity was. I felt like it was very clear in a parent for years under Sean Payton what the New Orleans Saints were about. On O offense, despite all the stuff with Drew Brees, They're still gonna run the football when they did best, they were gonna run the football with multiple backs. They're gonna do it. On defense, They're gonna be very aggressive. I'm looking forward to seeing the Saints kind of get back to that because when I think about the Saints. The first thing I think about is don't patrol and then whatever they've been on offense with Drew Brees or whatever, if he can marry those two things where they have Dome patrol on defense and that fun offense.
Speaker 4: Time me up. I'll be ready to go that.
Speaker 7: Don't you disparage the Domet patrol by suggesting that there could be another There will never be another Pat Swilling Ricky Jackson, Von Johnson and Sam Mills.
Speaker 6: Let me make that perfectly clear.
Speaker 1: I just like I just remember seeing the picture that would hang, the banner that would hang, Uh, is incredible, just a little bit of that.
Speaker 4: I just there's so much history and energy and.
Speaker 7: That they've got to have a dominant d that Look, the offense is funded, the screens and the shots that they were doing with with with Sean Payton was in you know, Robert Meacham and Dewrie Henderson running sixty yards downfield virtually uncovered like that.
Speaker 6: That stuff was awesome.
Speaker 7: But man, that don't rocks when that defense is rolling, and I think that this is an aging defense.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 7: Look, Cam Jordan has been one of the best players in the league. The Mario Davis has been one of the best players in the league. Can they help you usher in the new era or do you really have to tear it down? I think it's I think it's probably the former. I think they probably help usher it in.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to it. It's gonna be interesting to see you. Obviously, we'll wait and get let that announcement become official. But a nice finish if it is a finish for Kellam Moore there in Philadelphia. That was this week's Hot or Not segment, brought to you by with Sabi Hot Cloud Storage, store more and do more with your data.
Speaker 3: Try them for free at Withsabi dot Com.
Speaker 2: Closing closing statements here buck anything else you want to add before we get out of here on that Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: Football is great like no matter what we say about it, no matter how those the results end up. Football is so great like to think about how the season started and then we watch it finish up with the Eagles winning the Super Bowl in dominant fashion, all of the twist and turns through the season to watch it end of like that is one of the reasons why look, man, I am a football jockie.
Speaker 4: Sign me up for it anytime.
Speaker 5: But now we get to close that chapter and we get to kind of cast our eyes towards the draft and the Combine, the draft and all of that as everyone has completely hit the reset button saying, hey, that was twenty four. We're ready to go to twin twenty five. We can win it.
Speaker 4: I'm excited about this part in the process.
Speaker 6: Bucky, that was beautiful. There ain't no time for nostalgia Indianapolis. Two weeks today.
Speaker 7: Man, the combine is coming down the pipe and hitting around it. Man.
Speaker 6: Draft season is here, and it does not wait.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hope. That's it's hope season. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if you want to have hope, just look at what the team the toys in the trophy did over this period of time one year ago.
Speaker 3: That that was it.
Speaker 2: They built a super Bowl finishing piece in this free agency and in the draft, and they went and won the whole thing. And that's what's so great about football versus some of these other sports. Every single city, no matter where you are, no matter what you need, you have hope that you can go find it this offseason.
Speaker 3: And we're going to be the.
Speaker 2: Place to discuss all of it as we head towards free agency.
Speaker 3: And the draft. So we appreciate you hanging with us. We'll see you next time, right here on move sticks.