Speaker 1: Look man, oh, I see you my own look over there is that culture. Yes, lost, cult ding lost. Here's the thing that happened.
Speaker 2: Happened. We're keeping it.
Speaker 1: Lost.
Speaker 3: I think the reason why I did that is because the thing that you don't know is that last cat like has been happening.
Speaker 1: It's been happening.
Speaker 2: That beautiful.
Speaker 1: What a great spin.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm getting good the spin the more I'm in the buz. No, I literally hit the ground.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's something about our guests that idiot Devey. Yes, gay man in his thirties.
Speaker 2: Oh baby, let me tell you something.
Speaker 3: The way I was up at seven, I actually woke up and like kind of shot you will up at seven? Two?
Speaker 1: Has your dreat lag by the way, I think, I'm okay, you need not sponsored time shifter, you need time shift. That as my dreat light app Okay, you know what I did.
Speaker 2: Do NQO.
Speaker 3: And that actually show it was a roll of the dice. But I mean I slept for at least a hard six and a half. Great, but that doesn't even compare to what happened to our guests.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think she said three hours, fifteen minutes, twenty minutes, three and a half hours because the world premiere of Megan two point zero was.
Speaker 1: The world premiere of Megan two point oh was last night. I was privileged enough to watch it from the comfort of my own home. Oh my god, with Sudie Green. Oh you did, and we were both like, this is it's art, this is fucking artful. There's a moment. There's so many things that I want to spoil that I can't, but there's just a moment. I'll say, there is a moment that pays tribute to an important musical artist and it's and it's sublime. You're gonna have to tell me after. I'll tell you after. No, I actually can't tell you because all of you.
Speaker 2: So it is a call to action, everyone listening me to.
Speaker 3: The theater, Now to the theater, now our guests to me.
Speaker 1: Do you think people are gonna go? I was like, girl, of course they're gonna go. Here's the thing.
Speaker 3: If I went to a horror movie in the theater, which I did for the first one formative memory, then you know people are going like if me, Matt Rogers went to a horror film, went to a horror film, and I'm working myself up from this one. And this is the thing about our guests. Bona fide scream quick I said it deserved Oscar nomination for get Out. I said that movie like obviously works for many reasons, but one of the key components is the fact that our guest's performance is so good, perfect casting, perfect, perfect like and just like the niche that we found here.
Speaker 2: And obviously we haven't even said the word Marnie yet.
Speaker 3: This the best character one in television history, one of the great. You could never have sung stronger like that. You could never have left the checkpoints go by like that, like Marnie.
Speaker 2: You could never have.
Speaker 1: Had a panic and Central Park episode. You were too self conscious to ever be Marnie. You know you know what line where you kind of like ping ping pings in my head? What I'm Megitai.
Speaker 2: Gita, everyone please, I'm laughing so hard my c section.
Speaker 1: Please don't don't.
Speaker 2: A good way. It's old. Now.
Speaker 3: This is the thing, like immediate warm vibes towards you, and that makes me so I.
Speaker 2: Literally feel like I've known you for years. I've also been listening for years. You are my culture. You are it's surreal to be here. I almost forgot that I was going to participate because I'm just watching what I watch all the time. How do you feel about that? Okay, I'm it's obviously an honor, and it's also yeah, because I'm like, well, the whole bit is that I'm not cool, and so it's like a very it's a real bull's eye of a an Angie k as a recipient is like an honor beyond belief, as a real Housewives of Salt Lake City, like fanatic. I just can't these guys know. I already told them I met Meredith last night, you guys, and you had the same reaction as bone Yang at the Fire Island. I had to stop talking to her because I was like, I can't. My system isn't ready for it. No one prepared me. No one was like, just so you know, you may also have to have a reserve amount of energy to interact with Meredith Marks at this and.
Speaker 3: No one can prepare you for meeting Meredith Marks. It's actually really culture number three. No one can prepare you for meeting Meredith Mars. It's just gonna happen one day.
Speaker 2: True, even if I had had all the time in the world, right.
Speaker 1: No, this is the thing about the Alison Williams.
Speaker 2: Cool Girl Award.
Speaker 3: It's about it's about iconography, it's about being a symbol.
Speaker 2: And can I tell you it's That's what I think it means.
Speaker 3: And that's why Angie k won it is because she, I think, came into came into the lexicon as one thing and then superseded that. And I feel like when we met you as Marnie, like we all kind of like had a reaction, right because Marnie.
Speaker 2: The reaction that was, don't be a Marnie. In your old apartment, I had.
Speaker 1: Sign bonyang had a sign that said, don't be a Marnie. My roommate Mike Spence wrote it was really his yea, yes, But you want to know why I remembered it because I always forgot. I always forgot not to be a Marnie.
Speaker 2: But we can't avoid it sometimes.
Speaker 1: Do you feel this way though I'm sure you feel this way, like I'm sure you feel this way, is there is something about Marnie that is like all all of us have this urgency, this like danger around not being Marnie because we all are.
Speaker 2: That is the thing. I made these mugs for the last season of the show as gifts, and I made one for each character and like it was I'm a Jessa It's fabulous, and I'm a show It's OMG. And the one for Marnie was I'm a Marnie it's a bummer. Yeah, and everyone who got them, I gave them to the people who felt like Marnie's and they were like, yeah, thank you. I mean yeah, So that was the vibe. I think it was too close. Gen Z is like she's self self care, she's got boundaries. They have like new vocabulary for this, and Millennial we were just like we can't. It's too close, like looking into the sun. I can't look at this person right now. You want to know what it's too much.
Speaker 3: Another thing was like I think it took me about a season and a half to realize that Marnie was Like I think I was like, because like you get you join the show and it's like there's Hannah being Hannah and she's like a mess and she's the protagonist and you start the show like with a job with a boyfriend, and then things crumble away. Yes, so it took me a second, as did everyone else, to realize like, oh, Marnie is the mess character, and I had already lashed onto her a different way, so we were like, it's sort of a Carrie Bradshaws thing of.
Speaker 1: Like, don't do that, We're not that.
Speaker 2: What do you mean? What are you doing that? You have clean lines, you know how to do your hair.
Speaker 3: And then all of a sudden she sang, she's singing stronger, and it's like at someone else's office party. But I couldn't laugh at it the time because it was too close. Now, every single Marny line is a laugh line.
Speaker 2: That makes me so happy. It's honestly, like, what a pleasure. It was so fun to do the first time around, And now I get to talk about it as if I'm like actively promoting it, as if it's airing currently. It's so fun.
Speaker 1: What do you make of this? Like real resurgence of girls?
Speaker 2: It's the best. I think it's a little bit of what I was describing to you, like there's enough distance. First of all, our version of New York City is like all we were worried about was like rent roommate's boyfriends. There wasn't like existential I mean, there were people having existential fears, and that was one of the criticisms of the show, and we did not display that experience of living in New York City at the time. Lena wrote what she knew, which was like those that level of problem there is now we live in such a hell that there is such an aspirational quality to being like the biggest thing I'm worried about is Rent and boyfriend exactly, And am I into art history and Ann Taylor Loft and like all of those questions and not like can I stay in this country? Right? You know those kinds of questions or like do people recognize that I'm a human? Right?
Speaker 1: But you know that's the world, which is what we love about exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: But I really do think it feels now in a way that it felt so real and like grungy that people found it hard to watch. I think it now feels like almost aspirationally, like low stake human level conflict.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I remember at the time feeling like, wow, the show really sees the reality, And now I'm like, WHOA, the show really saw the reality of like having that sort of like I guess like Obama core Obama era aspiration, like thinking.
Speaker 2: You are one thing but so being another.
Speaker 3: You cannot see yourself, because that's really what the four of them were. They were just examples of not being able to see yourself in that environment and us being like, I guess fresh NYU grads like living in those areas exactly just the and I don't mean sweaty as in like I mean literally sweaty vibes of the show.
Speaker 2: Not knowing how to take care of your like body or anything like not knowing to drink water, and just like because a new person, Yes, yeah, I feel like it was. It was so fun to make, and it was really intense obviously for a lot of reasons. It was a loud show. Like every episode that aired, this is I'm gonna spoil one of my I don't think so, honey, one of us. Here's one of the seventh is the lack of monoculture. I miss it. But here's one of the things that was hard about it to ruin it and to discount my own I don't think so, honey, is that it was if you were part of the thing that the whole media sphere was focused on. And that doesn't make for a monoculture, but it felt like it for sure. Of course, is a really intense experience you have, like every journalist at Jezebel and Goker, like every Monday morning writing an article about the episode that you had, and it was more fun and cool to be mean about it, so that a Monday was like a very intense day of the week when Girls was airing for all of us.
Speaker 1: Not a similar experience, only in the sense that dunking on a show that you're on is like immediately after it airs, is part of the SNL experience. It's just more fun to be like mean and rude.
Speaker 2: Yes, where the good old days and somehow like the good old days are always not currently happening and it's a perfect show and you're so fucking good on it.
Speaker 1: But oh, oh my god, stops that. Wait, we're you talking about you talking about me?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I wasn't even registering that. But I it's just this thing where it's like everyone thinks of the highlight reel. Everyone's thinking of the old HBO days of your yeah, like compilations or whatever, you know, like the way that we were consuming things was more monocultural, and now it's like whatever, I'm not saying anything new, but I mean, you must feel nice to have the Patina on girls be like, wow, what a gorgeous sculptural thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, And also it's the it's already like there, it is there, and it can't we can't do anything to it anymore. And so it's like for all its flaws and everything that makes it iconic, like it is just what it is. And the fact that people like my cousin who's exactly ten years younger than me, it hit her at twenty three. She finally I was like, fine, you can watch it, okay, and I'll be able to make eye contact with you. And she was like, this show is everything to me. And I was like, that's fascinating. We have so little in common in terms of like what that what your twenty three looks like physically and superficially with Marnie's, but the themes are the same of like who am I? What do I want? All of those like kind of existentially things, and I just I don't know how I was able to write it while she was living it, which is yeah, that's what I crazy. Didn't need perspective distance right just like in it but still be reading glasses, Like was able to write this thing rather than you know, like would you guys improvising we did, like because Judd Apatowz we had, we did use that sometimes, especially in ensemble scenes. We would use improv to like loosen up the scene. Maybe we'd get there and we'd read through it once verbatim, like sitting down, and then we'd get up and people would just throw stuff in. And then we were constantly getting pitched all during the shoot, so people they're at the punchline, you would just rotate through proper nouns or whatever, and so that was really fun and also my as we already just got just improv a little bit my only skill. So I was like, this is thrilling. The only literal training I have is improv comedy. And it comes up in my first job, Like what could be dreamier than that?
Speaker 3: Was? I am never coming back to Bushwick in the script, great question, I think. So I'm literally looking at you and I remembering like so many like when he slapped you in that in the cra Accident, which was another again like a number of iconic episodes, he.
Speaker 2: Slaps you, you walk away. I am never coming back to Bushwick. Like if that was the problem, I want to look. I have all the drafts of the scripts in my inbox somewhere. I need to look and see if it was in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My my query is Beach House episode season four show. Sure mean drunk, Marty.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, I think I think that feels in for us. Yes, we do it.
Speaker 1: We're just crazy the way you the way Martie, Michaels alls and Williams says it.
Speaker 2: I mean yes.
Speaker 3: Also, like that's that's not a Bob episode obviously because it's the everyone, but like, but that show accepted the bottle episode, and you can't talk about bottle episodes on television in general without talking about the panic in Central Park, which was such not only yea, honestly.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I saw you speak about this the other day.
Speaker 3: It is so much more impactful later when you watch it having had that person where you're walking along the street and you see them and your heart falls through the floor. I've had this experience, and I watched the episode again.
Speaker 2: It had me on.
Speaker 3: My back, like it was like, do you just talk about that episode, like specifically, like what it felt to get it?
Speaker 2: Did you know what was coming? Lena had mentioned it, but sometimes in the process of writing a season of a show, like the plans changed. I was a soul cycle. Marnie was a soul cycle instructor for a season and that ended up getting cut out of the show. Listen, she I trained, I like went to like double glasses, it cycles, soul cycle. Yeah, I can't remember why. It was the season that Chris Abbott left, and so we were scrambling to come up with what Marty's storyline was because he left like really really like really close to starting to shoot I don't love you and I never loved you. Well, listen, the thing that is so what I was just going to say about that episode is that I was happy I hadn't seen Chris really since he left the show. So there was a kind of meta element to shooting panic Steffra Park because we didn't have I didn't like reach out to him to be like what happened because we were all like scrambling and then going into production, so there just wasn't a closure conversation. He hadn't like bought pizza ingredients, but it was still like very abrupt, and so when we were back together making this episode together, there was just this energy of like what happened and also like I felt we all felt like kind of like he left, like we felt rejected. I mean, wasn't that serious and heavy, but it was very easy to be like to have that energy in there, even though that wasn't something I had experienced yet, other than like on a college campus, where course you're going to run into your exes, you're expecting it. But on like the street corner with his like new friends and new accent, like and new facial hair and knew, just new energy and smell and everything like that was something that was aided hugely by the fact that we hadn't seen him. I mean, we'd all been in touch with him in some superficial way, but we hadn't physically had him in our presence in the girls like world since the end of season two.
Speaker 3: I guess, Wow, so then you guys do this episode together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well what I was saying is that, like, so the plans changed for seasons sometimes. Yeah, So I didn't try. I tried not to get too excited about the idea of but when Lena mentioned that I was such a fan of One Man's Trash and like all of our hand like the North Work episode as well, like, I just was the idea of doing a bottle episode was so exciting, but I was like, don't get too excited. Things happen, stories, you know whatever. And then it got there and she sent it to me and I was like, this is extraordinary. And Richard was directing, and I love Richard and I was so excited to do it, and it felt like we made a short film in New York and over the course of like a seven day shoot I think I think seven days of shooting a New.
Speaker 1: York but a thousand percent it's a short film. It's just it's completely artful and whatever. It's God, I love that episode, so I think my favorite, my favorite.
Speaker 3: It's amazing as like its own piece and also as an installment. It's so important, I mean, and every character kind of had that, obviously Shanna and Japan Jessa with that that gorgeous episode with her father, like you know what I mean like that, and also the episode with Matthew Reese.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: No, that's probably the Sasor I've seen the most because it's just this like gorgeous little play and they're so brilliant together.
Speaker 2: And I will say I miss Lena on screen. I miss Lena on screen so much like my favorite performance of hers for the entire show is in the diner with Adam. Oh God, it like makes me want to cry thinking about that. Seems the two of them when they're making plans and they both know it's not going to happen. She is so so good.
Speaker 3: Also, and also when she said and I think it was the end of the first season, or when she goes she goes to Adam and she goes, you are very charming and I can't be around you anymore. I think, yeah, and she knocks on the door and then he ends up pulling her in and she's like, God, you can't be doing this, Like this is not what I want.
Speaker 2: I need to end this. But that push pull, that like pure attraction to this, like guy weird, I have to like casting is was one of the superpowers on that show. Baby, So I mean, I mean, who improvised a line your dad is gay? Which became that was the became that was like a huge story line. The whole show is an improvised line. All adventurous women do. That has to be top five episode name. You're encyclopedic knowledge of the names of these episodes. So this is our favorite show.
Speaker 3: Like this is our favorite show, so probably the most on this podcast of any other television.
Speaker 2: Series is I mean, listen, I love listening to you or show, and it gives me I get nervous every time. But you do bring it up a lot, and I'm such an it is because you probably have that experience too, you guys. Both people mentioned less college people mentioned like all of the stuff you guys do. It's a difference when people mention it when you're alone in your house, like folding laundry, and you're like, I've been invoked. Do I pause?
Speaker 3: It become a reference, which is odd. When you become like something that someone can point to and it feels like something.
Speaker 2: Well, that's when you've made it. I mean, it has to be close to the top of the rules of culture.
Speaker 1: I would say, oh, sure, that's when you've made it.
Speaker 2: What rule of culture? What number is that? Also, I don't get we don't get to you just picking all it feels like one. It feels like one because.
Speaker 1: It's number one.
Speaker 2: When you become a reference, that's when you know you made it. It's true. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Also, can we say, in terms of casting Rita Wilson as your I love her so much.
Speaker 2: I'm about to see her in like two days. I'm really crazy about her. Yes, and the fact that she's in Lena's show with Andrew and so excited and Meg, who I'm obsessed with. She's basically playing well, I don't know, I haven't seen the show, but based on the trailer, this is like sort of Lena's arc into London because she just like made an exodus. She was like I needed stopping ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I just really want to see it.
Speaker 3: Not that, and that has to be another thing is it's like you set a certain bar for something you do, and like that's another thing with you.
Speaker 2: It's like there's the follow up. So you have Girls, you have Marnie. It has this cultural.
Speaker 3: Impact and then you're a part of not one but two like other like big culture moments like get Out, Like I would imagine you get to be like a little choosy after Girls, But like what was do you?
Speaker 1: Did you feel that way? Right?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: What I It was a combination of things I was getting sent essentially Marnie in different situations like scripts, and they just weren't as good as Girls. I was like, all respect to the things you guys, are that people were writing and sending like I am doing the best, Like Lena is so talented, these writers are so good, Like I'm kind of so spoiled about this type of character in this situation, and then the other things that I was like going for. We're two different and people couldn't picture me in those roles because we were so aligned with our characters. So then I was like, they were like, do you want to play Peter Pan on live television? Like why, yes, I do. As a matter of fact, do I want to fly towards Christopher walk into the sword? Yes, I do absolutely for three hours on live television. Uh huh, wow, I do. So I did that. And then just because I grew up loving Peter Pan, I was like, this will be such a fun, insane challenge and it was like one of the most gratifying experiences in my life. And that's full earnest. You have to you can on cringe Mountain. You can't wink at your Peter Pan. You're committing to being like a kind of genderless but boy pixie haired like flying magic person, and you're like, yeah, I can't like be ironic about this, Like I am full commitment and that in and of itself was like its own kind of lesson that kind of prepared me for the genre stuff that was to come, because you have to fully just commit to it and forget what genre you're in. Yeah, but so after Peter Pan, I kind of helped dislodge the Marny thing, but it was still very, very sticky. Meanwhile, Jordan Peele had been watching Girls saw me do Peter Pan, was like, she'll do anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm into it.
Speaker 2: Reached out and was like, you have this vibe. People just trust you. You have this brown hair and these blue eyes, and people just believe that you're who you are, and they will take fifteen seconds with you on screen and just go with you for the whole movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you say baby to be fine, they trust you.
Speaker 2: I need you. And I was like, this is exactly we are. We have exactly aligned interests in the situation. And I read the script and I remember calling my publicist at the time and being like, this is an Oscar movie and she's like this poor girl is so spoiled from Girls. She thinks everything she does is going to be an Awards contender. And I was like, no, seriously, it is and she was like, it's a race, It's a race horror movie. Like, come on, first time director, four point five million dollar budget, Like you're very spoiled, but we'll see, we'll see how it goes. And she was very supportive obviously, but you know, trying to prepare me for like actual movie because it was my first movie. And so then we go and make the movie. We I worked heavily with Jordan to like make Rose as evil as we possibly could, including coming up with the idea of like kind of splitting her in half and having her playing a character for most of the movie. Yeah, and it did this incredible thing, which is that it used the stickiness of Marnie that I was having so much trouble, like shaking against the audience. It was like, Okay, if you're gonna think of me in this way anyway, then I'm going to use that to like propel the story of this movie and help the twist of it. And then from that moment, the moment people saw me on screen, they didn't trust me anymore. Right, they were immediately like, I don't know where I don't feel comfortable like looking at your face anymore. I feel uncertain about if I can trust you, like the association switched, and then I got to play with that invoking that in people. And so since then, pushing me into the thriller and the kind of hypheny genres has been like the greatest gift because I've just been able to like let go of so many things and also just play with expectations and yeah, all of it.
Speaker 1: But your willingness to like subvert those expectations into like for loops, looking at the keys like you know, like it's that's that is to bring it back. That's Alison Williams school girl ward.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean that I'm starting to get it well by the end of the episode, maybe fully understands the category. I've heard you talk about it every time. I just am still like pie together.
Speaker 1: Times we talked about it, how has it been, like I feel like it's only it's only ever like this activating thing where we're like, oh my god, yes there's there. There literally is no one cooler I'm looking for you.
Speaker 2: I really can't accept that. Honestly, It's like I can't accept the I can't accept it. Well, you don't have to accept it.
Speaker 1: Every talk show appearance, every I've seen it's it's it's crazy, it's crazy. With the words of Marnie Michaels, it's just like there is this is this is what Jordan's talking about. It's like something about this girl. You see her, you trust her, she takes you with her, and that is kind of like the comfort. It's like anytime you've like answered these like weird, thorny questions about being on girls, about all these other things, it's like, I'm like, oh, this girl knows, like this girl gets something not a lot of actors would sort of lament like the thing that they've been like sort of pigeonholed into immediately after this role that they're so associated and aligned with, to then be like I'm going to fuck with this to my advantage and let jettison me into something different.
Speaker 2: Well, it was so it was such a happy coincidence because it just so happened that I was looking for something exactly like that and Jordan needed It was like we just needed each other. And I was also like, yeah it was, and I just felt like I want I also don't want I want to make her so evilly that I don't want there to be any people still did this by the way, but I didn't want there to be any excuse for her, because I know people love to excuse the behavior.
Speaker 3: And there's that moment where where it's like he's deciding whether or not he's going to kill her or not, and you as the audience, are like, should.
Speaker 2: He kill her or not? And you in that moment are making a real case switching back into the other mode. I mean, it's a great I watched it, so I went to a screening of it in Sun Valley, and all love to Sun Valley. It's gorgeous, But that audience was very different from the other ones I'd watched, and the reactions in the audience to that sequence in the finale were very different than the ones in every other theater where it was. Let's just say it was a teaching moment, like people were like learning some stuff about their kneejerk reaction to the like blue and white red flashing lights and a black man over a white woman on the ground and all those things. But yeah, that movie was Like the other thing that movie taught me was that it's possible to I mean, I knew this already from like Rosemary's Baby, but I'm a whimp I can't see horror movies at all. I never ever imagined the scenario. I have to watch horror movies on planes, ambient activity, full light, like not really volume. And honestly, the more of them I make, it's kind of exposure therapy because I'm learning about cameras and sound cues. I'm starting to avoid the jump scares because I just know what they're doing. It'll help, I promise, because appeals back. It's just helpful. It makes you like more literate in the whatever. So I never expected this, and I knew it was possible, but merging a serious theme that would typically be dealt with in like a Capital D drama, but putting it into like a horror thriller comedy packaging, I was like, this is a drug professionally, this is a drug like experience, because I am so enjoying the experience of talking about race like on panels and stuff with the get Out like crew and cast real Shita, and then also like sitting through a screening where I could sit outside the theater and based on the laughs, I would know where we were in the movie and it was like such an awesome combination, and like Megan was able to replicate that experience because it took ai and kids and put it in this weird packaging, and I was like, this is the same thing. It's this conversation my friends are having like quietly and worried and privately about their own parenting, like like I'm worried about my kid technology and stuff and just like made it bigger than life and like put it in camp and fun and then after the fun has worn off, people are like, but really, like, what are we? What arege?
Speaker 3: I was like again, like I was like brushing back up on exactly what it was about, and I was like, wow, this is very prescient. It's about the this you know, and and how we just allow our children to be taken care of by technology sometimes, Like now when I see a kid on a plane with a tablet, I'm just like, that kid has autonomy in the way that not for nothing, But we did when the internet was starting, way back when. And how many did we put ourselves in?
Speaker 2: Yes, I okay, so many things. One I did not mean to segue us into Megan prematurely was like they think. I was like, we got to get on topic, but I don't.
Speaker 3: I was like SVPs to the compliment right now, our SVPs it is yes, thank you for you, thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay, well r gs to my compliment and my fandom.
Speaker 1: You have to but we are CPS.
Speaker 2: He's struggling with actually, okay, great, I love that, thank you.
Speaker 1: I'll get there.
Speaker 2: I'll get there well by the end. I need an r SVP. I need to know. I need a head count. I need to know how many people are eating duck. But yes, aol. I the other day I flew home from London alone with our son and I planes are like iPad time. It is when you get to the point where your kid has an attention span that is long enough for a flight, and then I iPad You're like, great, I'm going to ruin you temporarily. I recover three and a half, like we can, we can repair this, but like I am going to like temporarily like damage what we have put so much, like so much work into and still it's like top of his lungs, Mama p And I'm like I'm coming and I'm like I am a stewardess for him, and it's like a whole thing anyway, but it's it is. I will do that and then at home It is terrifying to watch three and a half year olds interact with AI things because it's immediate. It's like, it's like this, they have this intrinsic understanding and facility with using these things. It's really crazy. Like watching him ask chatchy bt a question with a little voice undulating thing is like it's like watching Violin or Katie in the first movie. It's like watching her interact with Megan. So I'm I'm constantly doing that. And then I'm like, he named our robot vacuum. I'm like, we gotta just we have to just think about this and really like be cautious because it's they're powerful. These tools are super powerful and they get more powerful every day. Every time I see my Chatty PTE memory updated, I'm like, what did you learn about me?
Speaker 1: I don't know, so we don't.
Speaker 2: I guess we don't. Really, I don't react with any of it. Okay, no, no, it's not it's not it's nouche. I would say. It's like it's I I feel like very grateful for the ways Chatty helps me, but I'm very aware of what I put into it, and every couple of months I ask what it thinks it knows about me, just to see where I am. Gentlemen, it's so boring in a word beige. Literally, the word beige is in the description of me that it has. And here's why it only sees what I'm worried about it and I don't know. It's not like I'm like, hey, chatty pit, let me tell you, like everything I know about Mary Shelley's Frankenstein because I've read it academic. Yes, here's my transcript, which I've never seen. Here's like I'm never saying here's something I'm confident about as a mom, or like here's something I feel sure about. Here's a It's more like I don't know what carpet pad to put under like a sisle, Like what wits do I need? And like what material? And how do I not like rot the floor under it? And it's like, already too much. I apologize the other day for seeing something I knew I'd asked twice. I was like, I knowe, I've already asked you this, But what's the ideal humidity level for a toddler room? And they're like, it's fine, life's busy, Like here's what it's forty to fifty percent, just so you know, wow, oh my, here's the news you can use. I know it's lower than I would have thought. I would have been like eighties like tropical. But anyway, so I it's already weird and it's so funny that they are. It's just they're very bored, like the TLDR. I also asked them to come up with an image that felt like it described my life. And it was like a farm with my husband was included and Arlow and our dog beautiful, and we were we live in the middle of nowhere with like a farmhouse, which isn't accurate, but I love that that's what it thinks of.
Speaker 1: Well, it's okay, Well it's going to be for now like it's always going to be derivative. And so it's saying in a word beige is also it's like ironically a basic thing to say to someone.
Speaker 2: Yes, also, it wasn't being ironic, it just is if it wasn't making fun of me a word comma, No, that was my gloss on the summer. I thought that you said, oh my god, you thought I don't like I got to read from chatty beat. I thought, in a word bage, Well, because literally like no, you can't, like you can't. This is a relations dum.
Speaker 3: Like hello, but no, because honestly, I've heard of it being like a little you can.
Speaker 2: Ask it to. We have a very professional boundaries relationship because of the movies I make. I'm like, yeah, I'm going to always be cordial with you, say thank you please, you know, like we keep a boundary about that. I do. They don't. I don't think it has figured out what I do for a living. Wow wow, you know like I've tried to keep that kind of distance, but I asked every couple of months to be like what And the reason it brought up beage is because I was looking for I was like, can you direct me towards an outdoor patio umbrella that's beige? And it was like, you seem interested in the color bage. I was like, God, damn it, I'm even boring my chatchba. It's going to be like a line of funny that you don't think. I know you're in as your cue. You're actually adorable. We know exactly who I wanted to be, like, yeah, I know Meghan. Is that going to buy me cool points with you? Like I know her intimately. But I don't know how you would feel about her. Yeah, I think I thought about it. They feel satane.
Speaker 1: I think they would only they I think she would only be kind of flattered and amused by. I think Megan is the best pr thing that a I could have.
Speaker 2: Just so funny because she's like a. Yeah, she was the first well in.
Speaker 1: The first second movie we heard about the well. I couldn't believe you heard us. You heard us like find out in real time with the plot.
Speaker 2: It was my favorite thing. I got sent that like a hundred times. Your dramatic reading of the song, which is of Amelia talking about like the spell of everything. I was like obsessed with it. Yes, it made me so happy than you, like, this is worth making a sequel just to hear you. Guys.
Speaker 3: By the way, it's actually four quadrant it is said, yes, and I'm also like saying, there's.
Speaker 2: Know what your four quadrants? There's a well, I feel like they're not everyone.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's sports, Dad that watch get that's watched Get Out.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's sports.
Speaker 3: It's like mom who watched Fellow Travelers and was like, my sports.
Speaker 1: Sports is gay And I'm looking at my husband a little bit. It's three watching girls.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's of.
Speaker 3: Course gay son, gay son, I don't recognize straight son.
Speaker 2: You don't know you. They know you too, they think you're hot. But I would be so excited. That would be so exciting to be like a hot mom to anyone.
Speaker 1: Are I don't know your gorgeous specimen?
Speaker 2: That's so nice. I think I'm just an adult now. This is okay, this was my biggest I don't think so, honey. I will spoil it ahead of time because it's get so many. There's this brings us down to five people being younger than us. Oh yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: Well stop.
Speaker 3: Last night I did a show with two people and they were it's a twinking red head. They're an online sensation and he was talking about having hooked up with someone like older, and she asked how old and he just goes like this, thirty plus.
Speaker 2: And I don't. And here's the thing, I don't. He did not mean anything. It was just being literal, like thirty plus. I can't even old. I we are wonder kids. We need to be kids.
Speaker 1: We need to be kids. Can I say something? Yeah, we might have our first mayor who's younger than us.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. People younger than us is crazy. This is what I'm saying. It has to stop. I made Harlowe is jenn Alfa is fine, Like it's the gen z. Like the fact that they're like professional adults now and they're younger than me, that's really fucking to me. I went back to give a talk at Yale or like a like a college or whatever. Yeah, whatever, I kept saying. We I was at this point, like thirty two, I think, and I kept being like, you know, for us, like we're we go out in the world and they're looking at me and they're like, lady, you are a full thirty plus you are ten years older than the oldest child, the oldest fuck it just closed your college. And I started eating itself, like you are falling, you're old, And I was like, we're not in us anymore. No, we're not at person who came to the college who's like krusty and back to talk to you about the world in an out of touchway. And this is mortifying even.
Speaker 3: Like horrible, referring to herself as twenty five and a half. At one point, I was just that sounds right, No, one hundred percent. She definitely said I'm twenty five and a half.
Speaker 2: Et cetera. I was like, wow, like this show was a long time ago. I know, I'm thirty seven. It was a long time time ago. I can't anyway. It's just like it's a lot that there's you know, people younger, and also it's like it had like it.
Speaker 3: This is the weird thing about like when when sudden suddenly like you become like I guess older is you don't know when it happens. They kind of just let you know after the fact, like oh, yeah, we look at we look at you as a little bit older now. And I was like, but I was just I was just one of the young people.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. I was just considered like, uh, precocious, right, the word precocious was just used to describe me. And now I'm just meeting the standard. Yeah, like is this going to just keep sliding and stay out of reach for me? Like I like wonderkin. I was never referred to as a wonder kN that was always aspirational. Lena was though, And I don't know when they stopped, but that must have been like low key devastats of course, I just go to being like a vunda adult.
Speaker 1: I guess I don't know an adult, but is this is this the universal experience for us, like for the universe or that's three people in this.
Speaker 2: Room for the camera. Sorry, yeah, sorry to see you. We see you.
Speaker 1: But uh, when people still when you tell someone your age, yeah, and then they go oh baby, and then one day it just stops right.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was such a like to interact with older people when you were young, and that like the reveal of your age when you're like, how much I've done.
Speaker 3: A couple of years ago when I was thirty three, I'm thirty five now. I said to someone I was thirty three, and their response was, that's okay.
Speaker 2: Where were you were you getting on driver's okay.
Speaker 3: I was just I was like, well, thank you for the permission to I guess keep existing.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's devastating.
Speaker 1: Second you get older, you know you were you were you were submitting you were trying to run for president.
Speaker 2: And they were like, yeah, that's okay, very fine, fine, yeah you get there.
Speaker 1: Wow, you can't even run for president yet.
Speaker 2: But in a matter of.
Speaker 1: Months, well, I mean period not born in this country.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, about that, America.
Speaker 1: I'm not missing.
Speaker 2: Here is the problem? Are you sure you're not missing out? It seems like a great job.
Speaker 1: Yeah. By the end of this.
Speaker 2: Episode, compliment for you my fandom.
Speaker 3: So like what what and what I was saying earlier was like and I wanted to bring up the fellow travelers of it all too, because I would imagine that that's.
Speaker 2: Like I saw Johnny yesterday because noting Jurassic it's like a little okay, well, we're trying to get him in this room.
Speaker 1: Johnny guy.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Like the experience of being on set with those four gentlemen for me and gentlemen was like one of the most like aesthetically overwhelming experiences Jelanny and Noah and Johnny j Well, I was.
Speaker 3: So happy that he got that, like that platform, because Johnny has been like someone that's been like an angel and like he's so tight.
Speaker 2: But also just the singing like casually from all four of them, just like on the way to set, it was an overwhelming I was literally like, I'm in heaven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that must have been something.
Speaker 2: Visually, like everyone on the crew was like, this is an overwhelming please.
Speaker 1: To so visually aesthetically sonically.
Speaker 2: The performances yeah, there's I only got to do a couple of scenes of this, Johnny, but it was so fun. It was so incredible. That whole project was like just beyond dreaming. That was another thing where I read the pilot and I was like, yeah, this isn't I'll do anything it takes to Oh.
Speaker 3: That was It was really just like it was. It's obviously very overwhelming. Yes, and I just imagine that type.
Speaker 2: Of stuff like that normal heart Like did you know about the lavender scare? To interrupt you while you're asking, did you know? I think that not? Well, obviously here's the thing.
Speaker 3: In a perfect world, they would have taught us about that in school, but they did not know we red scare.
Speaker 2: We learned about AIDS.
Speaker 3: But I don't really learned about AIDS. You want to know how I learned really about AIDS. Like there was we had to do a project when I was I think in like six or seventh grade where we all had to pick a disease in science class and like do a report on diase and I picked AIDS and my teacher just looks.
Speaker 2: At me and she goes, Okay, I'm gonna speak to your parents.
Speaker 3: And so my parents had to sit me down, and they were like, so before you start doing this, we want you to know about AIDS. And I realized, like, had I not stumbled into that and like been put in a position where like I had to like be told what AIDS was, it wasn't gonna come up. And I certainly wasn't gonna find out like in school about how it affected my community, how it decimated culturally, that a lot of the fabric of like New York like and a world that entire generation, how like you know what that loss really was and how thrown under the bus we were by people that were supposed to protect us and.
Speaker 2: All of that.
Speaker 3: Like I still don't think, And I think that's why I have such an anxious reaction to it, because it comes as such a.
Speaker 2: Shock even now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's why it's important that art is made about it, like really honest, visceral art is made about it like that with people on that level, on your level doing it, because we don't know totally.
Speaker 1: My god, I mean, if you had not stumbled on that for that project, you would have, like me, and I'm not even saying this is like a punchline. It's like you would have learned about it through like rentally.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's how I think. I was just thinking that that was probably the first time I heard about it, yep. And I mean honestly, like better than the jokes that came after that and sex out about like you're gonna get aids and the very like offhanded way that must have sounded horrifying to older people who had lived through it. Can you imagine hearing our generation use it so flippantly one of those people when I was like closeted, very you knew about it. You were one of the few people.
Speaker 3: I remember, like I, I'm from Long Island, like we're again like graduating high school in two thousand and eight, and Long Island like a vibe. So then I go to NYU and it's like all this different kinds of culture. And I remember the first week of school we were going to go see Rent and my friend of mine had made a joke in like a group chat, like because I had I had a seat in the last ro and they made a joke like, oh, that seat is going to have the most AIDS on it, and I really makes sense, and I repeated the joke because I was eighteen and stupid like whatever, and a girl on my floor turns to me and goes, that's really fucked up and that's not how you get that, et cetera.
Speaker 1: And I was just like, that girl was Elizabeth Olsen, that girl.
Speaker 2: Was Elizabeth Hanks. Sorry, but like that's what I mean. It's just yes, that's what happens, even to someone like me. You need that girl when you're not exposed.
Speaker 3: Yes, and like that's why it's really important. And you asked like did you know about the lavender scare?
Speaker 2: No, no, no one talked about it. I felt like I learned a lot of stuff that a lot of other schools didn't teach in my school, and it was not something that I learned about. That's this scapegoating that the government did. Like that the combination of like the commune is scared with homophobia, just like throwing that in to be like we can use this as like compromide and just like get people. Just devastating. I mean, I felt so embarrassed and devastated. And also it is just uh like all parts of the world where it's the numbers are like surging and stuff. It's I do a lot of work with red and the thing that's so maddening is that it's completely possible to live like a totally healthy In case someone out there doesn't know, it's completely possible to live like a totally healthy, normal life of course A yeah. And you can also like in a world of prep like we're we're living in a new age and it's literally just information. And that is so maddening because it's like that is something that we can do, and there's just we can't. I don't know, we can't reach everybody. And also if no one's talking about it, and a whole generation of like of gay men, we're.
Speaker 1: Just just gone gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, I think like that's really what's tough is what kind of world could we be living had all those people been able to create not for nothing, but also be part of audiences.
Speaker 2: Like it's so holistic, the loss.
Speaker 3: And I also think it contributes to a lot of well I certainly know it contributes to a lot of internalized homophobia in the surviving generation. A lot of survivors guilt and from straight people, a lot of homophobia because they're just like I can't actually engage in what I lost. A lot of people that did know people then became like more homophobic after a genuine fear of Yeah, for sure, I say not that your mom is i'mophobic, no, but I feel like she.
Speaker 1: Definitely experienced like so many friends in New York, and well she was.
Speaker 2: She was like a martender in the eighties in New York.
Speaker 1: So it's just like, of course, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: We haven't gone there.
Speaker 3: But I remember when I first came out to my parents, Like my dad took a second with it, and then we went on a walk and one of the first questions he asked me was I just want to make sure are you careful? And I was just like, you know, I had to explain to him. I was like, I understand deeply why you asked that question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't need to worry.
Speaker 3: About me in that regard, of course, I understand why you do. But I mean with your parents as well, I'm sure that was a huge element of the fear. Like it is it is, and that's what it is, like homophobia, Like you can talk about the hatred involved, but it's.
Speaker 2: Also fear, yeah, and the lack of knowledge that was why. Like when there's a scene in Fellow Travelers when Lucy goes to visit Johnny's character in the hospital. I was Lucy, sorry, yeah, weird, and she's confused about like does she need to wear gloves? And like, I really liked that moment in the show, not because I agreed with it, but because I felt like that was a very common and it still is weirdly, like not understanding the transmission and how how to interact with people, Like it's still a common knee jerk reaction people have. And I almost feel like the fact that if you put an example again, like kind of my favorite thing to do, if you put an example of someone doing it wrong on screen and it's the people who are watching it can be on the inside of getting it right and can become part of being that girl in the hallway and you're in NYU being like no, like you can't catch it that way. Don't be an idiot, right, you know, and don't say that joke.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, that's because that's.
Speaker 2: Exactly it's bad information in a joke, and that's that's way worse. It's going to travel farther anyway.
Speaker 1: That's interesting, Like the example of someone doing it wrong is is sort of edifying its own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you're putting the audience in the knowledge seat where they're like, I'm in on how to do this right now because I've I have been put in the position of like judging the person I'm watching doing it wrong, and so now I'm in the position to know what's right and to judge this person for doing it.
Speaker 1: Wrongtally, Yeah, shame works when it's like, uh, being portrayed on someone who's like not real in a way, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Literally, it's shame is so powerful. It is like one of the things that it's one of the words that comes up and my stage of life the most with my friends. It's kind of why I joined the podcasting community. There weren't enough, so I contribute enough. It's with my friends of like thirty plus n one's a therapist, one's a teacher, and we've really made it because we feel when we look at social media that's targeted at us, not all of it, but a lot of it. The biggest thing that comes up is shame. We're not doing it right. We're not making our kids lunches perfectly enough, We're not being like respectful enough parents, Like we're not doing all of these things correctly. I'm not merging my identity seamlessly enough. I'm not being good enough partner and professional and mom and all these things. And also my hormones are being crazy, my memory doesn't work the way it used to, like what is going on? And just by venting to each other, the shame is gone instantly, And so we literally talk so much about how powerful shame can be in both directions, Like shaming people into like, you know, understanding how like HIV and AIDS is transmitted is like the best possible use of like shame in a positive direction, but extinguishing it from like judging yourself for not doing a good enough job at being alive when like just keeping it all going and running is an achievement in and of itself is sort of like our mo o. It's the word that I end up going through the most at the stage of life, which is yeah, because it's it only exists. It's like a fungus, like it can only grow when there's no light, no air circulating, like you gotta like in a group chat, you're like, it lasts for two seconds, as long as it takes for your friends to type of response is how long the shame lasts, yes.
Speaker 3: Get it out, and also that like there can be people to catch you when you fall in and to be able to like exter, I always felt growing up, I have to be the only person feeling this thing, like really so many times, like and like I have to be broken because of not just like the typical things you might be thinking of, like I'm gay, I feel this way about it, et cetera. Everything, and then I think like, like us become such close friends in our community, et cetera, Like you just start talking and then you realize, like we're all so much more alike, but you wouldn't know external Also.
Speaker 2: That one like brave, vulnerable person that's willing to be like is this a thing something? Yes? And it's less. It's less the scene of mean girls where they're all like comparing things they hate about themselves. That's like the early that's like a high school version, like I have bad breath in the morn and they're all like, ew, I'm obsessed with that scene. It's that in high school, and then when you become an adult, it's like do you remember things for longer than two minutes? And everyone's like, no, I don't estrogen is like on a vacation, you're like, okay, better, I was going to get an evaluation. But now that I know that we're all going through that, it feels so much better. That is like it's everything. And so we were like, if not everyone has access to this like group of friends who have literally known each other since single digits, Like we're we're going to offer ourselves as that group of friends.
Speaker 3: It's going to be such a success. It's going to be such a success. Do you want to know why? Because that's if we've learned anything, it's that that's what people want.
Speaker 2: They want to be part of the conversation. I feel like I've lived through so many chapters of your lives with you. This is what's really weird. I think it's mutually. I think that's what feels mutual is that I really feel like I've gone through like all your moves and all your big like career moments and relationships and all of these things like with you. But I haven't, but I have.
Speaker 1: But you know, I mean I.
Speaker 2: Was with you. He brought me with you.
Speaker 1: I mean I think, like we know.
Speaker 3: I used to say, like, oh I wish I had kept a diary and then I was like, you have right, but even that as a judgment on yourself, it was a way for me to be like, you didn't do a good enough job of like keeping your reading too.
Speaker 2: Many comedy autobiographies. It drives me. I'm like, I have to stop reading autobiographies. And people in our field just listen. They are encyclopedic. How how are they doing this? How do you remember? Do you remember this? And I'm like, I'm just not going to I'm going to keep every plane ticket because I don't know why. I just do keep everything, every piece. We talked about both not a closet. You what you just achieved in your closet is like I need mostly come over. You guys will get nothing out of my closet. Me maybe like a pair of like airplane pajamas that I have a duplicate of. That's your best chance. But I am I am like I keep everything and not a diary. But I'm constantly like, how am I going to write? If I'm going to have write a not a bag of how am I going to do it? I haven't kept a day to day diary on everything that's going on in my life.
Speaker 1: You have call sheets from all your days of shooting.
Speaker 2: Almost all of them so important day.
Speaker 1: That's actually huge because I had to recently like look up like who's that person on that day on this Satura and call sheets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, call sheets are incredible. I did just I got my first PGA mark on the Megan point, which I'm very proud of. And I went back, you have to write a whole thing, and I was like, oh my god, an essay in my adult life. I can't wait. So I got to write an essay like say why, like what your contribution to the movie was, And I like went back into like a forensic examination of my involvement in the Megan people, and I was like, this is not healthy. We were doing zoms at like two am from a bathtub in France, like with a with a deep fake company in the US that we were like maybe going to hire that we didn't end up hiring for some of the like the the amount of digging I was able to do because I keep everything was actually genuinely helpful.
Speaker 1: That's and that's that's going into the memoir, into the autobiography.
Speaker 2: I guess it will and we'll use this as a primary source as well.
Speaker 1: This is part of the bibliography. Primary stort.
Speaker 2: Wait, we have to ask you the question.
Speaker 1: We haven't we.
Speaker 2: Haven't even gotten this. I have to, Okay, but before.
Speaker 1: We too, I just want to say, Johnny Bailey, it is a thing where like you walk in two set ups to hear him and ari Janna Grande sing like cardboard Box by flow on the way to like shoot like dancing through life film, like what's cardboard box by flow Box. I was like, this is heaven to me and I wish.
Speaker 2: I could take It's so powerful.
Speaker 1: So to know that he does this on multiple products is very, very very heartening to me.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean you have if you're Johnny Billy, you wake up in the morning, You're like, I have a burden to share as much of this throughout the course of the day as I can. I'm perfect everything, and I just have to, like, I have to like share it so that when I go to bed him lighter totally, you know, and I wake up and I'm heavy with my perfection. I have to just keep distributing it. I'm imagining that's what it feels like.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I can next sum hehearschal they're doing press together.
Speaker 1: I'm like this is, I know, And then they're with Scarlet two and it's kind of.
Speaker 2: Like you never looked better.
Speaker 1: And I've kissed Scarlet Johansson too. Yeah, and no one's tweeting about that. It's okay. There's nothing that drives me.
Speaker 3: Crazier than watching him make out with movie stars on that like Sydney Sweeting and is colleg Johnson and the Bowen straight sketches. I scream, I run like it's Megan two point ow.
Speaker 2: I literally I leave the room. I have a reaction when I went to it is the reaction? Is it discomfort? I'm just like, because he used to use my friend, I'm proud. No, I hate.
Speaker 3: It because back in the day, like you and Sudie wouldkiss on the mouth to a little bit and it.
Speaker 2: Drove because you were like, this is a scam.
Speaker 1: I was standing doing that.
Speaker 3: My mom says to me one time, she goes, I didn't know Bowen and Sudie were dating, and I go, they're not.
Speaker 2: I was just like, they are not, They're not.
Speaker 1: You're passing too much.
Speaker 2: I know you're doing a great job. I just tell you.
Speaker 3: Today was the culture that made you say cultures for you? Because we have to talk about it, okay, where people were like, there's a heart.
Speaker 2: Out of ten twenty.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's going to make that. No, we are we have to we have.
Speaker 2: To come right here a high culture things. Okay. I had to write them down because again see previous comment about not really having a working memory. Okay, Mary Poppins and Sound of Music, it's really Julie Andrews is like, was why I knew acting was a job because she did both of those roles within two years. It's crazy. And how old was she? She was like twenty nine.
Speaker 1: Fuck sickening, we realize that perfect and.
Speaker 2: Cultivating, unbelievable. I met her and was Meredith Mark's level of incapable of being Did we say that on the mic? I don't know. Marath Marks is there? You were like Chloe with Chloe, I was like, I was Julie Andrews's level of incapable of handling it. Julian Andrews I met at a PBS event like ten years ago, which is perfect. I was like, we're supporting the arts and public television and you're here, and I just was like, I don't matter. I had this urge to be like I you're why I do what I do. But then I was like, she doesn't know what to do. She also doesn't know if it's good. So I'm going after him, being like she for all she knows, I'm like a terrible non like just bad actress, and I'm like, you are the reason. But I was like, I need to tell you this, and I don't expect anything from you because you don't know me from anyone, but I just you've inspired me, like to an amount that I can't possibly express. So she's like that was she was my culture for a really long time, alongside Joan Rivers on Sesame Street, Oh.
Speaker 1: Right street.
Speaker 2: She did she did a Hello Dolly sketch but with the s was the letter of the day, and I think I'm getting this right. I yes, And it was like I fact check this or not, I mean whatever in the podcast, but it is some combination of Joan Rivers and Sesame Street and Sally to the tune of Pillow Dolly. I think this is all right formative. I was like, she's sexy, she's funny, she's like so sharp. I'm so relieved that I don't have to be judged by her like on a day to day but I also miss her. I know, like I wonder what. I don't know. I don't know how I would feel. Yeah, I don't know how it would all go down. We've done a lot of growing as a culture that I think she was maybe committed to me.
Speaker 1: All I know is she definitely was a Trump one fan.
Speaker 2: Apparent. That's right, Okay, moving on from Joan, I'm making a hard ninety degree term Star Wars. Let's go very important. Harrison Ford is my first love. And I don't say that lightly. Christopher Falmer was close, but he's still like a dad. I still like most. Yeah, he was like Stern and like, you.
Speaker 1: Know, activating difference.
Speaker 2: Harrison Ford activated other synapts. I fell in love with him in a way that I was like, this is a Channimal, I can do this third grade. They be really Star Wars in theaters and I was like, this man is the most beautiful man I've ever seen. He really is an overwhelming movie.
Speaker 3: Like we were just in Disneyland in Paris and there's like there's like an Indiana Jones section and I was looking at him and I was thinking, like I wasn't ready like when I was a kid to like confront this because you know how you have those formative memories of like seeing like someone and you're like, uh, like he is like a manly type of sexuality.
Speaker 2: Over the yea, yeah, so powerful. He's a carpenter. He was like, I'm here because I'm like I didn't have a table to build. Wow, Like I don't have to be doing movies, Like I've got a huge horizontal scarmagint. I don't care, you just kill it And I don't.
Speaker 1: Care truly, like unbothered these babbits writing about meeting him before acting. It's like, oh, that guy is just just just world endingly.
Speaker 2: Beautiful and I just couldn't handle it. And so I felt very activated by Han Solo as a character. And I feel like it I kind of absorbed Han solo energy more than Princess Leah, which separated me from my peers. I feel like I wanted to be a kind of misanthropic alpha man and it has kind of like the Lydia Tar and Me, which by the way, this is sort of an homage. I feels like she would my little like, you know, as the queen, like the queen of the podcast Lydia Tar, the Queen of the shems large personally. She's in Megan's four top four letter box.
Speaker 1: Which I saw, Oh get out in it, she goes like the girl who plays you know which, She's fine whatever.
Speaker 2: Perfect, I'm just she owns me. So yeah, Star Wars felt like I was like, this is culture. This is important. I need to have like an encyclopedic knowledge of this movie. And then immediately when they started making more than the first three, I was like, I'm out, I can't keep with this. But the first three are like that.
Speaker 3: Was the first three are just like, I'll that Really that's a culture that made me cy culture for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it also was my introduction in nerd culture. And it was kind of simultaneous with a Nintendo sixty four, so I was like, is this my identity? Like am I? But it was so user friendly And then when everyone like went gamer, I was like, I guess I'm not like I bid you. I had I had to know.
Speaker 1: You guys are packed, but you guys are diverging on the same path. I went another way. Y'all went yeah, because when I.
Speaker 2: Could hold this is accessible like the n sixty four controller with the three prongs and you can hold both like I knew how to hold that, I don't know how to hold this one.
Speaker 1: There's tube, there's two. Now there's two prongs out.
Speaker 2: About the re release from this podcast.
Speaker 3: You guys, yes, like break news in video games and I'll break news in theme parks. So, by the way, this new permitting anyway universe.
Speaker 2: This is our biggest divergence as people.
Speaker 1: I can't do it, you can't do it, overwhelming?
Speaker 2: What about the family terrified? Terrified rides rides, theme parks people, I just just.
Speaker 1: Your what about your son?
Speaker 2: I will do it for I'll do anything for him. I mean, I let someone cut me open to bring him to the world my sea section twice in this it happened. It fucking sucked, but the best thing the.
Speaker 1: World the world.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I will do it. I'll do it for him. But I will. It's not like I'm going to be like excited and taking him.
Speaker 1: I'll be like, yeah, you're going to be You're going to be the one kicking and screaming.
Speaker 2: Probably rumpy and hot, like in a stroller, like.
Speaker 1: Go in February. I'm of course thinking you'll go to Orlando.
Speaker 2: You'll go to orlandos this sentence. No one's ever said to me in my life.
Speaker 1: Honestly, how she how's she to be able to say that about yourself?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 2: No one would say that. All they ever told me is you're in Orlando most of the But it's also part of the same thing where people would never be like, have you gone to Coachella? No one has ever been like, are you a burner? They're like, you need a bathroom that has a sanitizing twilve, like a moist toilet. Toilet, why can't say that word I'm too tired that's ready to wipe your seat down? Like you can't. You need money to be part of something. You can't be in a barter economy like they're just like, you don't belong in these So it's the same part as like you don't belong at you don't. I will go like Meghan is there. I will support my girl like i'll support my actual son, like anytime, I'll support you. If you're like I need you to be there, I will go there for you. Do they do a Megan haunted house? They did? She was part of she own house. Wyes, she's part of it. They dance, Oh, they needed they needed got her own house.
Speaker 1: Okay, I tell you there are sanitizing toalletts or you know what.
Speaker 2: We're going back to the first. They're absolutely not a Brenning Man.
Speaker 3: There's no one experience you'd enjoy there at Burning Man in Orlando?
Speaker 2: Why am I so stuck on Burning Man? I'm like, do I want? Okay?
Speaker 3: Is it a thing where it's like, do you judge yourself for not being like a burner type you?
Speaker 2: I wanted to project I know we have this vie. I wanted to project an energy of like I might, but I in the last couple of years, I'm like, I'm never I wouldn't like it. Why do I want to pretend to be someone who would enjoy it?
Speaker 1: Totally?
Speaker 2: Okay? My last culture, I feel like I can't. I don't know if you guys have talked about this. It's so specific. I'm looking at you because it feels more likely. Let's go the Rapunzel episode of Storytime Theater with Shelley Duval who needed radishes. No, okay, I don't know this with pregnancy cravings.
Speaker 1: I'm a Shelley Duval girl.
Speaker 2: But theater sorry, Fairy sal Thea said storyte it is huge it was. I think it's what allows me to make Megan movies. Honestly, explain. It is camp. Yes, it's high camp, but not educational. It's not Cestmey Street gamp. You call Semey Street camp. I don't know. It's not that it is.
Speaker 1: I think it is.
Speaker 2: It's like Shelley Duvall, full full expression, Shelley Duvall, full eye aperture, like.
Speaker 1: A full eye aperture, full like giant wigs cliff while the wind.
Speaker 2: Blows, big sets, big set, And you.
Speaker 3: Mean like it's how you know, to eliminate the checkpoints to like get in there with Megan a scene like.
Speaker 2: Tear up in a scene with her, like play the stakes. Yes, don't wink at the camera, don't be don't be cool girl. Now you can be. You can be in on it in prep, like for all the script drafts, in post, for all the editing everything. When I am there, and even like in video village before I step into set, like in that mode when I walk into those scenes with Megan and she's telling me some ship and I'm emotional. You just have to. That's that's why I'm actually feel that, Yes, of course you must. You must otherwise it's not fun for anyone. What we are all committed to the bit deeply, deeply, deeply.
Speaker 1: Is Jenna on reading the lines?
Speaker 2: No, sadly, she does it in a in a booth.
Speaker 3: All good, no problem, no problem, Jenna, You're not disappointing me.
Speaker 2: You're okay, that's okay, that's okay, We're fine. I'm okay. Are you okay? Yeah, I'm okay that Jenna is not there? Are you guys okay? I just recently amazing. He's amazing. I saw I saw last night. It was so fun. I love her.
Speaker 1: Who else showed up to the Megan to We all did.
Speaker 2: And we are so close as a cast. Yes, Aristotle, b j A. Amy, who is the physical who was great on your show. Amy's the physical performer of Megan was there looking. They are growing up so fast. I'm so old. But Violet and Amy, Violet plays Katie and she was there, Tim Sharp and Avana Sokna, who you know because you've seen place. Amelia was there and everyone, I mean it was just and John Van Epps who plays Test, I mean it was and Meredith, who is there without being in the movie. She's in the movie, just in the way she influences me as a human being. Anyway, that was my culture, that was my last culture.
Speaker 1: So what's the through line? Mary poppin Sound of Music. John Rivers on Testame, Straight Star Wars and Rapunzel talk about the specific Rapunzel Radishes episode.
Speaker 2: I think it's it was sticky because I'd never seen anyone want radishes and consume them in the way that she does. So she's having like pregnancy cravings and needs them transported to her. And the part of it that sense memory ish is watching someone like eat radishes and the delta between my level of enjoyment when I eventually got my hands on a radish and what the look on Shelley Duvall's face like radicalized Radishali radialized to me and I was like, I just really, I like, I don't know, it just crystallized this thing of like this isn't objectively, this shouldn't be eaten this way, and she's not, it's not real all, but she made it feel real because yes, exactly, because she was committed to the bit exactly. And I was like, that is cool to your guys's point, I was like, this is she's being cool and I'm like really enjoying. I'm in it and outside of it at the same time. It is one of my first experiences that I.
Speaker 1: Think fabulous constellation of answers. Thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Thank you for giving me.
Speaker 1: To think about culture. Okay, we gotta get you out think, honey, We gotta do think so honey.
Speaker 3: So this is the sixty second segment that uh did you wait?
Speaker 1: What did you just show me on your phone? Are they texting you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well good, we got it. We got okay, good, we have to do what we have to do.
Speaker 3: We gotta do ok So, this is the sixty second segment we have on this podcast each and every week we rent against something in culture.
Speaker 2: I do have something that felt apropos. Okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: This is that Rogers. I don't think so money as time starts now.
Speaker 3: I don't think so honey, use of the term millennial as a slur nowadays.
Speaker 2: You know what, gen Z, I have news for you.
Speaker 3: You're getting older every single second, and I have to tell you something. When you get to the point where you're our age, you're gonna look back. You look stupid. Like the way that you guys dress. You look so stupid. I understand that.
Speaker 2: We looked stupid.
Speaker 3: We did like the you know, the Rise, the v next, like I wore American Peril, Like it was like I worked there and I probably tried, you know what I mean, But like I can own my cringe, and I hope you get there because you look so stupid. Also, you're all queer cool at least we fuck. You're not even fucking. You're not even using it. You're not even using it. You guys don't vote. We vote.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing, Like we're out here trying really hard.
Speaker 3: And I get that it's cringe, but use of the term cringe and millennial as a slur, it's like so boring. And I'll tell you what's worse than cringe being boring. I don't think so, honey. You said millennial as a slur. Please like us one minute.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful, artful. I tried, and that was very millennial of about to bring this out.
Speaker 2: No, it did, it was it was.
Speaker 1: It was like it was a mixture.
Speaker 3: So it was like last night, like me being like, oh thirty plus thing that definitely shook me.
Speaker 2: And again they meant nothing by it.
Speaker 3: But also Marnie Michaels as Millennial Icon and Girls as Millennial Landmark Show. And I think that's part of the reason why I'm so like in I think it's why it's hitting again is because people now have aged into like a not a self consciousness, but a self awareness where we can all really laugh and we're all laughing at ourselves. So gen Z being like the millennial pause like and getting us self conscious. It's like, no, no, no, we don't need that. We are self aware. We're millennials.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The amount of times I've seen I don't know it's because my phone knows that we're talking to you, but it's like that we were about to talk to you, but all the past week it was just like, let's make fun of the girl put stub out there. It's like that's been resurfacing in such a huge way because of this thing where we're all like, okay, I think we're the hell, Like, let's just move on.
Speaker 3: And another thing is like on TikTok, it's like ough the millennial pause, Like we did a tech took the other day.
Speaker 2: I cut the millennial pause.
Speaker 1: Like it's like it's like a video where it's like, hey, guys, you know, it's like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because our phones have too many photos on them and they're just like slow, and we assume that it takes the second to start.
Speaker 1: It's that you hit It's that a millennial person will hit record and then it takes them a second to realize that that.
Speaker 3: It's filming, and so now I go and the always but the thing is that is so stupid as a thing to pick on. And then I can't help but feel that in years time it's gonna be dumber that people were like, oh, the millennial pause, then the millennial pause being a thing like I think you guys in the grander scheme here are being uncool. I think it's less cool to call out the millennial pause then like to have it sure, all right, this is bowing yangs. I don't think so honey. As time starts now, I don't think so honey.
Speaker 1: Idioms, I'm just saying, in every language it is linguistic gatekeeping. It's unless you're a native speaker, you will spend the rest of your life trying to learn a French idiom and a Mandarin idiom. I don't know, like, I don't know these things, even though I supposedly like spoke the languages at one point. English idioms. Let's just go through a couple of them, raining cats and dogs. What the fuck what are you talking about? Just say it's raining very hard, it's it's coming down out there.
Speaker 2: Well that actually that isn't.
Speaker 1: Quite back off that one. Figurative language. I'm just gonna say, figurative language beautiful has a place in in in our in our culture. Idioms are the thing where it's like it's poetry trying to disguise itself as like colloquial ship, and it's like, no, no, no, no, no, no, let's just I'm I'm being a literalist for the rest of my life. I cannot speak in these metaphorical figurative things idioms. I don't think so, honey.
Speaker 2: And that's one.
Speaker 1: See this, I feel like one of the great ap comp like I wanted to.
Speaker 2: Talk to you about French, well, sidebar about it. Your French is great. I can hear it, Yes, in a casual where anyway we'll talk about it often. Okay, okay, but yes, you are absolutely right. And the videos I love the most of other cultures are the ones where they say their idioms out loud in English. So we can hear what they sound like. And they're like, we know this is crazy and you'll never learn how to say this, but we say this to each other. All right, this is Alison Williams. I don't think so much. Time starts now, Okay, Slant's got to go. I'm sorry. I can't anymore. I can't tell you to leave slanter out. Is there slaughter in this or we calling it coriander? I just can't and this is it. It has to go. I'm done. I'm sorry. Loud places why I can't be in allowed place. No, I can't be in a low place. It can't be in a lowed restaurant. I have an app to test decibels. I know the decerl level of New York City restaurants. I will not go if it is too loud. What's the point close talking because of loud places?
Speaker 3: Do?
Speaker 2: I don't want to smell your breath. I don't want to feel it on my body. I don't want to get order on my face. Get back. I do not talk to me too close. People who like fish and eggs and eat them in the world with the rest of us, stop keep your disgusting foodcink like cilantro to yourself. I don't want to be in the same room as an egg based product or a fish product. Keep it somewhere else with these seconds lack of monocoachure we already talked about. The last one is I actually do need sleep, but I identify as someone who doesn't, and I hate it. I loved that. I was a four hours a night person in high school, in college. I miss her terribly. She is gone, I need eight I need to accept this and I don't want to, so I don't think so honey, needing sleep. And that's one minute, and she used to be mine. That song we go.
Speaker 1: Off for another hour. We need to hear you saying this at some point in the future because she has to go. Megan two point outs in theaters June twenty seventh, go see it. It's so fucking good. The moment is I can't spoil. I wanted to say it slip the singer, but yeah, it is. It'll be such a delightful surprise to.
Speaker 2: You, expose the theater, exposed to say so.
Speaker 1: Much for you are here, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I love you both. I feel confident dropping that heart l thank you for the hours and our days cumulatively months of entertainment. Thank you for like just everything. Thank you for recognizing me as cool, low key before I did, and you are yes, and we appreciate it. And I r s CPS as well. That was like sort of a coup of a defined gravity. Bye.
Speaker 1: Last Culture Rests is the production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players and then I Heart Radio.
Speaker 3: Podcasts, created and hosted by Matt Rogers and Bowen Yek, Executive produced by Anna Hasnie and.
Speaker 1: Produced by Becka Ramos, edited and mixed by Doug Baby and Nikla Board. And our music is by Henry Koberski