Speaker 1: Hullo and welcome to the Overlain Journal Podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm your host Matt Scott and we've got Dave Hareton on the podcast again today. Always good to have you. We're gonna be talking about the new AEV FXL, which is the next I guess, the next evolution of the aev's big heavy duty trucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of the last in the trilogy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you guys obviously have RAM you started in like twenty thirteen on that you're saying, correct, personal favorite of mine had a couple you went into Chevy and GMC, so you can get those. I mean those are factory assembly line built trucks, which I think.
Speaker 1: Is really cool and notable.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't think there's really anybody else in the industry that has that level of integration on the OE side.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's quite a truck from the for an oeon offering, just to be offered through the factory, fully validated, fully crash tested, everything's done.
Speaker 2: That Chevy or the GMC is the most comfortable full sized truck that ever bought. With those d d SSV school valve shocks. The Multimatic stuff, I mean Multimatic's crazy. Like I always feel like people like geek out on Fox or Bilstein or whatever, but they don't understand like the level right of technical valving that these guys are doing for motorsport.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, the DSSV shock is d just not understood. I wouldn't say misunderstood, is just not understood. Yeah, it's an amazing shock because the the flu is not going in and out of the shop. The flu's going around in a circle in the shock, so it's basically impossible to overheat. And it it always kind of hurts my soul a little bit when I see somebody take a PCE and take those off and put a you know, a standard shock on it.
Speaker 2: Well because they're basically just like a tube with you know some like a valve stack and a little hole or stething. Like it's it's.
Speaker 1: Really throwing a lot of stuff away.
Speaker 2: But when they're using like the multimatic stuff on like like before GT program uses it for a La Mont like it's since Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: They mostly do race cars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they built the four GT, they built the new what's the new Mustang, the crazy TD, the GTD they built that like.
Speaker 3: Which has multi nating chocks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's an amazing shot. Unfortunately, in our industry it's just not quite understood.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but and a special thanks to Nitto Tire for supporting this week's podcast. The Terrain Grappler G three is the third generation of one of Overlanding's most trusted all terrain tires. A new compound and tread pattern delivers improved wet traction and a three peak mountain snowflake certification. Improved uniformity reduces road noise while still ensuring performance on the road and in the back country and for even bigger news. The G three is now available and up to thirty seven inch sizes, but my personal favorite is the new two fifty eighty R seventeen that I'm testing on my Quartermaster. This is the first all terrain available in that size, and since payload matters, the G three is lighter than most competitive all terrains. Niddo backs the G three with their best treadwear warranty ever that means seventy thousand miles for hard metric sizes and fifty five thousand miles for LT and flotation. For more information, visit nitdotire dot com.
Speaker 2: Thanks Niddo, but we're here to talk about the FXL, which is based on the Ford Super Duty. We're sitting in a Ford super Duty right now. I think, you know, one of the things you said to me, like early on when this program was about to be announced, is you know, you can make a RAM. You can make the world's coolest Ram, which I think he kind of did, and that's still never going to be enough to convince a Ford guy to buy a Dodge to buy a Ram.
Speaker 3: Yeah. In heavy duty pickups, brand loyalty is.
Speaker 1: Everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really it's hard to or comprehend how strong the brand loyalty is and full size trucks, especially in the heavy duty world. And then also we noticed that it was very geocentric, so like, you know, this part of Canada is all round, and this part of you know, Texas is all for.
Speaker 3: Or maybe even say all Texas is for.
Speaker 4: But there was very, very very strong geocentric locations for heavy duty trucks. And we also had a lot of customers just asking us for and you know it was something we never had the time or the just never really had the time or the knowledge should do it. And then we kind of were wrapping up the GMC the next generation Chevy and GMC, and we had a little bit of time and we looked at it. And we've looked at it several times. I mean, you know, we've got probably CAD data going back to two thousand and nine. We've looked at it a couple of times. And anyway, this time we looked at it and we had the experience, we had the knowledge, and we felt like now was a good time to do that with Ford getting all the ads, yeah, and you know, the radars going in and it just it opened up some opportunities for us and we felt like we had the right amount of experience to jump in.
Speaker 2: I think that these heavy duty trucks, they're always kind of leap frogging each other, you know, Like I think a RAM was really hot for a while. Like I personally liked the Rams. You know, we were saying earlier they're kind of like a scaled up Wrangler chassis. You know, they're really technically capable off road. I think Ford has these insane drive lines, I mean five hundred horsepower twelve hundred pound feet of torque, and then they have this ten speed transmission that's in Jesus came out in twenty ten. It's pretty proven. Now, I mean that FXL which is on forties. I mean it hides them so well, but it's got to be a beast for telling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I you know, honestly, I think they all all these trucks, now, they're all let's just call of one thousand plus pound fee to torque, Chevy slightly less Rams right there, board's a little higher. All of them have good transmissions. Now, the Ford and Chevy transmission. You know they were developed same time.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: You can't say that the same ten speed, but they're very very similar.
Speaker 2: Similar.
Speaker 4: The new Chrysler eight A P transmission is HD is high performance.
Speaker 3: Forget what AP is, but it's more built for towing. It's it's very similar.
Speaker 4: It's got a PTO and it's built for the it's an eight AP ten to fifty, so it's built for that torque. But you know, since the Ram got that transmission twenty five, I would say they're like every one of these trucks. People always ask me which one's the best, which one's your favorite.
Speaker 3: I don't think you go wrong.
Speaker 4: I think that honestly, pick the best dealer in your area. You know, if you're not brand loyal, just pick the best dealer in the area. And I think that's why the geocentric popularity has developed. I think, just good dealers in certain areas and they've developed a loyal.
Speaker 2: Follow I was notice, like when I'm going up to the Tetons or something, and I'm broughting through Idaho, It's like every vehicle is a GM product.
Speaker 1: Like every truck.
Speaker 2: Like you really do start to notice it in different areas, Like you know, I mean, living in Arizona, I don't see a lot of Chevyes, like I see a lot of Rams, you know, I see a lot of the Fords.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I think it's as good for people to have.
Speaker 3: Options it is.
Speaker 4: And you know, I know some people would like get disowned by their family if they bought.
Speaker 2: Isn't it funny? How like so much of it comes back to like you're like, like, for me, like if I drove a Chevy, like I just have this image of my dis like my my father disapproving me, and like, you know, his face is popping up in a cloud or something next to me. Like yeah, like I don't know, but I've actually been really like like Chevy has been doing so much, I think with with their product Chevy, GM, GMC. Sorry I kind of use them interchange, like they're so quiet inside. Like I drove the Baby Bison like that. It was the AT four x AEV Edition Canyon. I couldn't believe is how tight that car was, Like you know, That's.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Almost all that like there's not I mean, I don't think any of these cars have a fault.
Speaker 3: Like on the heavy duty trucks, they are.
Speaker 4: All so comfortable, so powerful, they're ready for anything in any weather.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, the heavy duty truck.
Speaker 4: If you don't live in an inner city, if you don't live in a very urban environment and you can, you can drive a heavy duty truck. I really can't think of anything more comfortable and regardless of the brand.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I just saw I'm on my third Prospector Excel now, which is I have horrible vehicle. Add I don't suggest that I should have just kept my first one, but I was in a Grenadier and I don't know why, Like I just kind of like had this idea that you know, the Prospector was gonna be so much harder to drive, even though, like I've had them, but it's like easier to drive than the Grenadier, Like they're not. I also think like when you when you lift these things and you put the big tires on them, there's something that kind of happens to them to almost make them more driveable, like they feel a little more light on their feet or something like I don't I can't put my finger on it. But they're just nice to drive, Like they're so comfortable. I think they're super luxurious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, once you're used to a thousand pound feod torque, it's hard to go back, really hard to you know, come up the hill here and yeah, you know it's down shifting or yeah, it does become kind of.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and like it is bar none in the United States, maybe globally, the most competitive segment of automotive, Like you know, like there's there's probably there's a segment of like economy cars that's very you know competitive for price. But these trucks have budget, they have room and dollars for engineering, and they have like insane volume. So like there is you know, if the F one fifty or the Super Duty is bad, like it's such a large thing, like that's bad for America. Right, But these companies are always kind of pushing each other on and like I was saying, they leap frog right, Like I think Ford right now, you know new body. They're still on the aluminum body, but they've updated the body, new interiors because they were a little bit behind on the interiors. I think, like the twenty seventeen you know to twenty nineteen, twenty twenty trucks kind of aged, I think a little bit. But these new interiors are great. Yeah, the drive train is crazy awesome.
Speaker 3: The suspension's good.
Speaker 4: I really think we're in the heyday of the I mean, these trucks are so good.
Speaker 1: I mean, what's the next step for a lot of these things?
Speaker 2: Like it almost makes me think like electrification has to be the next step, Like how much can you get out of these these engines? You know, they seem to I don't know, for whatever reason, Like you know, the the GM products with their six point six leaders, both Ford and Ram are six seven's. Like it's just interesting, you know, once you kind of think, oh they can't really get any better, they just keep getting better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's hard to say. I mean sometimes I can say, but I can't say.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, I'm not necessarily asking you.
Speaker 4: It's just like I think, right now, we have a really good selection trucks, and you know, the Ford is obviously the newest to me. It's I've only just started driving it recently with the with our package on it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's just so impressive.
Speaker 4: We were out in l A doing riding drives with media earlier this week and we actually picked a canyon road instead of highway or off road to do that on, which doesn't seem really for a one ton truck on forty.
Speaker 1: They're kind of a hoo's a hustle home.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 3: It was awesome going both up and down that canyon.
Speaker 4: Uh. You know, we had a couple of drivers, a couple of journalists that actually knew how to drive, and they were having fun with it, and yeah, it was really kind of cool to see a nine thousand dollars truck hustling through a canyon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're just you know, again not to reader, but they're just so comfortable inside. Like you're saying, like if you're not, like, it would suck. That truck would suck if you lived in New York City.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you knowpropriate.
Speaker 2: It's it's not it's not really what you're going for, right, but you know, for most people in rural America, oh my god, they're just I keep.
Speaker 3: Calling them Cadillacs, Like, yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I look at I look at a lot of the guys that buy their range rovers and they buy this, and I'm like, I've got more power, I've got more, more, more, better on pretty much everything.
Speaker 4: So yeah, absolutely, I mean if I had to drive across country tomorrow, I would pick a one done truck or three quarter ton truck before any Mercedes sedan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, for putting miles down, I just don't think there's anything more comfortable. But so let's start diving in on the FXL. So the FXL package, these components are going to be available separately from you know, buying the like the AEV VIN truck for like the AEV peeks. That's the big thing is you get the windshield banner, you know, which I'm sure people are copying and whatever now because it's kind of it's become a bit of a thing. Yeah, you know, and you get that, you get the VIN stamps. So there's gonna be dealers where you can buy fxls.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So we'll have I mean traditional, We'll have a AEV Ford dealer. Okay, you know that you can go in and buy a truck through them. It comes directly from Ford's assembly plant to us. We build the truck, ship it to the dealer, you pick it up, full factory warranty. Like you said, it gets all the AEV graphics badging, windshield banner, thin tag, but also little things like the tire placards are corrected.
Speaker 2: So yeah, when you go.
Speaker 4: Into a tire shop, they're not trying to fill your tires ninety PSI. It's all correct and they can put the right size tire on it. It actually says, you know, forty by thirteen, fifty and eighteen tires. There's a lot of little things that you get, including the warranty. Yes, you can also buy parts, so we'll make all the parts available. Those parts will start coming out here, I think at the end of the month, so early June. Bumpers wheels from upper rear bumper wheels, flares and then suspension will follow. Suspension just takes time because we work with our partner Builstein, and that you know, those shocks are unique AV eighty one hundred, so because AEV is not just a wheel company, not just the bumper company, not just a suspension company. We're able to tune all those things together. So our eighty one hundred is tuned specifically for that truck with our spring, with that tire at the pressure we specify, with our front bumper with the winch in there, so we're able to really fine tune that for the customer versus you know, trying to buy some shock and some spring and make it all work.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you always talk about kind of like the frequency of the springs and how that affects the shock tuning, And there's so many variables, like you know, there are. I mean, there's just a lot of shocks out there, right, And it's not to say that somebody can't go and you know, properly valve a shock, but there's a lot that goes into it. Like I always love seeing, you know, the pictures of like the prospect Or Excels getting like slid around, you know, in a slalomn course on the track and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you really are better off.
Speaker 4: Having our engineers do the shot tuning versus you trying to do it in a garage or guys just have a lot more time and experience doing that and they can tune it specifically for that truck, which is it. You can really feel like it just feels like a very well tuned cohesive package.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean spending some time with the FXL today we're at Overland Expo West. So if there's the occasional annoying squeal or something in the background, that's why. But it hides the forties so well, Like I think the thing that stands out to me. You know, the bumpers are great, we'll get into those later. But the design of the wheel arches is very unique, Like it's not you know that it's obviously just a different vehicle than the PXL RAM, and I like that it is completely different. Like there's been a lot of thought putting in the sculpting in how that was designed. I know you're kind of saying there's a little inspired by like obs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you go back into the history of Ford. Well, yeah, So we did take a little bit of a beating online early on when we showed those Vender flares because people are like, oh, you know, why are you making it look like a Chevy with the squared off endor flares, and that wasn't the intent. In fact, the intent you know in the early I think early nineties for somebody at Ford Designed decreed that all Fords from now on we'll have round, circular, semi circular real openings and so and it's been a thing ever since. And that was really you know, start of the jelly bean styling with like in the in the automotive styling where we called the jelly bean error of Ford with.
Speaker 2: Like thee like the style side F one fifties and that kind of stuff for trucks like very rounded, so it's.
Speaker 3: Called the jelly bean error.
Speaker 4: And and so at that point, you know, even the F two fifty went to a more rounded style, and gradually over time that truck has shifted back to being mostly square, except but.
Speaker 2: The forwards are very angular, the.
Speaker 3: Very square, and they've got these round wheel openings.
Speaker 4: And so when we were looking at it, I asked the guys, I said, hey, you know, let's do this more. As a first of all, I think it's it's appropriate in the truck because it's gotten more square, but let's go back to the more of the old body style forward wheelopening. So like pre eighty six. The wheel opening is exactly what we have. So we took the pre eighty six wheel opening because you know, you're looking at Bear Jackson and you're seeing all these obs trucks phone for two hundred and three hundred thousand dollars, and that's what people are liking. So let's take the OBS as a nod. Or let's take that flare shape as an as a nod to the older trucks, and guess what. It looks more appropriate because the truck has gone back square. The rest of the truck square except the semi circular wheel opening.
Speaker 3: So let's do that.
Speaker 4: Let's square off this wheel opening, not like old GM, but let's you know, make it look.
Speaker 2: Like the old Ford you had mentioned. You know that people were giving me kinds of flack that it looked a little GM.
Speaker 4: But they were younger people turned out, and then when you explained it to them, they're like, oh, that's actually really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because like the GMS, that's like they were very narrow, tall and very square, very seat, where this has the width added to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's angular, it's actually angule, it's really not squared off. But yeah, in general it's not a semi circle. And yeah, once you explain it to people, they're kind of like, oh, I forgot about that. I forgot that pre eighty six trucks had this shape, and now I see it and now and now it does look Yeah. And and interestingly, as we were doing this, we're we're, you know, we're designing these players and we're you know, just about to go into production with them, and we noticed that the Ford Ranger Super Duty, so the little Ranger and Super Duty comes out, was squared off wheel wells, not like obs style, but it was just interesting.
Speaker 2: That Ford maybe they recognized that that was the you know, they had these round, real arches.
Speaker 4: I don't know why they did it, but I was just like, we were just talking about it in our one of our meetings and we're like, hey, have you seen this.
Speaker 2: And Ranger Super Duty is a very cool concept. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen one in person or we've been around one, but it does seem like a pretty cool, pretty cool little truck. But anyway, so getting back to that, you know, once you explain it to the folks, then then it's like, oh, okay, we like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it looks good.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, like I think with most things av if you kinda when you look at it, it really does start to look oem. It's that cohesive package thing, right, you know, if anybody's out there, it's like, oh, man, I wish they made a super you know, a super Duty raptor. Well this is it, you know, Yeah, is that a super HD. Trucks are never going to be go fast trucks right.
Speaker 4: Well, in my opinion, go fast truck is never going to have a stock frame. Yeah, I'm never gonna have a vehicle frame. If you're really going to go fast, you're not gonna deal with a frame. So yeah, all the f one fifty, all the fifteen hundred trucks really don't interest me personally at all.
Speaker 2: It's kind of weird though, because when you guys have a fifteen hundred version of the GM and Chevy trucks, and it's if you kind of you know, if it was like a design by committee thing, you'd think, oh, well, this is the one that everybody's gonna want, Like this is the volume truck. You don't I'm not saying you don't see them, but you It's like enthusiasts tend to go for kind of that, you know, that light duty truck, the Colorado, the Ranger, the Tacoma, and then they make the big jump to it like an HD truck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you're probably looking at that with a Western i'll call blinders on. You know, if you live back east, the half ton truck actually makes some sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just it does, I like traditionally.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's more of a you know, it crosses that line that you can use it as everyday car kind of thing if you don't live out in the Western United States where the heavy duty makes more sense. So we always talk about that when we're designing things. Is like having your two hundred mile blinders on, like you know, what you do two hundred miles of where you live, And so we're always designing, you know, with that in mind, trying to design around.
Speaker 3: Those things for different folks.
Speaker 4: So anyway, that's kind of where that all came from, and that the wheel flares have a long story, but it's kind of an interesting story.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and there's a new real sense we're talking real flares. There's a new wheel that's beadlock capable, specifically for heavy duty.
Speaker 4: So we have our first dual sport beadlock wheel. And so for those of you don't know, we've been doing this in jeep for a long time. But it's a wheel that you can mount as a traditional wheel or you can mount.
Speaker 3: It as a badlock wheel.
Speaker 4: And the nice thing about that is, you know, there's several nice things from a consumer standpoint. One, If you you know, let's say you don't want beadlocks, you don't need badlocks, just mount as regular You always have that option to move to a badlock if you need to in the future. Ye, so you're not limited with you know, I have to buy another set of wheels. Conversely, if you're running a badlock and let's say you have a problem somewhere and you need to get a tire switched, and you make it to a tire shop and they're like, well we won't work on that. This way, they you can just say, hey, mount it as a traditional wheel, I'll drive home.
Speaker 3: I'll deal with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it you know, it gives you that failure mode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's actually smart.
Speaker 2: I never really thought of that. You've run into that where like I mean, okay, like with the earth Romer. You know, right now, there's a lot of places they see all the bolts and they're like, uh, yeah, no, we're just not doing that. You know. It's actually the same thing with my hutchinsense that I had on my first JK. It was like, and that's a proper three piece block with the you know that that inside. People wouldn't touch them. You know, it's really hard outside of a specialty.
Speaker 3: Shop, it can be a problem.
Speaker 4: So this just gives our customers an option, you know, if you're in the middle of Alaska or whatever.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, it just gives you that option. Hey, just not at regular and I'll deal with it later.
Speaker 2: And are those going to be a is that just going to be for Ford applications because of the off set the wheel patterns, well, patterns the.
Speaker 3: Same it is, but yeah, the through hub.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of differences with the RAM and the Ford wheel, including offsets. But we will have a version for forward and RAM and two different colors and some different different rings. So you can get a block ring. You can also just get a protection ring. A lot of people are like, hey, I'm not going to run super low pressure, but I am going to go scratch my wheel up. I'm to use it so you can run this sacrificial beadlock or sorry, sacrificial protection ring in place of the beadlock if you want, just another nice option. So just because our customers a lot of options, and this is the first time we've done a heavy duty wheel, mostly because of the testing that was required for the higher loads. So that wheel is through testing, and you know, we tested it with forty two inch tires because that makes a big difference.
Speaker 1: If you're testing, yeah, more leverage, you're kind of explaining that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a lot more leverage, a lot more stress on the wheel. We had to actually go up the bigger bolts and just yeah, do a lot of testing. So it's our first heavy duty beadlock capable wheel.
Speaker 2: It's pretty significant on its own, to be honest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're eighteens because we're you know, finally we have a BFG HD terrain tire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's the all Terrain forty now too that I'm super excited.
Speaker 4: They have an alterrain that uses the same carcass as the HD. It's just the the at pattern and yeah, gerrometer, which is nice because you know, we're seeing forty five thousand miles out of the HD train.
Speaker 3: The at will be a little bit less, but it is obviously better than.
Speaker 2: Snow and I and you get the snowflick rading, which is like you know, for a lot of Western states, if you're going to do a pass, it's chains or or you know, snowflick rating.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, so nice, another nice tire option. And these are all f rated tires, which are actually the first tires that are really meant for nine ten thousand pound trucks with a thousand pound feet of torque. Yeah, because what was happening is you could put a different tire on there and it would have the load rating and everything would be okay, and you'd go and cook up, you know, a ten thousand pound trailer and you'd accelerate away like thinking nothing of it from the driver's seat, and those tires are just screaming literally getting you know, the rubber twisted off them in the rear, trying to accelerate twenty thousand pounds like it's nothing, which the engine will do, the powertrain will do, but the poor tires.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just kind of kicked the problem down down on a chain.
Speaker 3: So now we actually have a tire that will withstand.
Speaker 2: That yeah, because that's the tire you're running on the truckhouse too.
Speaker 4: Truckhouse, yeah, Prospector Truckhouse and the new fpisode.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I think that that's inevitable for me to try and upgrade to those those eighteens, like I have the seventeens. I think there's kind of something cool about like the massive sidewall, but it's really only an inch.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: I I'd love to talk a little bit about the bumper because it, you know, the the new Fords are a little interesting. I mean, the headlights are massive on them, like it looks it looks right going down the road, and then you get up next to one and you realize these headlights seem like they're two feet tall. And that had to be like a pretty big challenge to just esthetically design that front bumper to make it look.
Speaker 3: The bumper was. Yeah, it was an amazing exercise and packaging.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like first and foremost, we have the eight s. So that's the automatic braking and it basically integrates a radar and that radar is taking pictures.
Speaker 1: And is that on the four Is that in the bumper on the Ford?
Speaker 3: It is on the it's in the bumpers, it's in the grill.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay, okay, mine's in the windshield, and there's like.
Speaker 4: Mass well, there's a whole other set of visual cameras up in the windshield on both the ford and the RAM. And what they're doing is they're taking both a quote unquote picture do you think of it as a picture with the radar, and they're taking a picture with.
Speaker 3: The visual cameras. They're overlaying those pictures so that they can really identify things because some things are very visible with radar, some things are very visible with the photographic cameras. So they're overlaying that, meshing it all together to make decisions.
Speaker 2: Because this then has the blue crews I believe right on these.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: I think that's an option on the on the on the super duties, which would be like, you know, absolutely crazy to have a.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if that is on the super duty, but to be honest, I wouldn't need to check.
Speaker 2: I'm not there's so many options on the trucks.
Speaker 4: There's so many options, especially when you're looking at two fifty through five fifty and all the different levels. So I'm not a complete expert in every little package option currently, Like I do know the RAM pretty well, but you know, going back to the bumper, we start with the ad as and the radar. We start with all the ultrasonic park sensors, and then we start looking at okay, you know, here's our cooling requirements. We have a twenty that we want to do up to a twenty thousand pound winch because this is going up to five fifties. Yeah, We've got our nodular iron toe hooks, you know, so we had their you know, test those again for up to thirty two thousand pounds now, and.
Speaker 2: That is that because that's then the gross can bind vehicle weight that you're testing to, right.
Speaker 4: And then we're looking at that and we're looking at the you know, you can think of a cone with the radar with the radar seeds at the very very wide angle cone and then we're looking at the angles that we have to pull from and do all our tests for our poll. And then we have to look at the cones for the radar sensors and make sure the radars or I'm sorry, I have the radar, but the ultrasonic sensors aren't seeing let's say the toehooks, so we're not getting false positives with all that stuff. So trying to put all this stuff into place, and then the fog lamps and then trying to protect for the head lamps and trying to protect for the frame twists so that our bumper is not hitting the head lambs that full frame twist and all these different parameters, I mean just one other. And then we come in and we kind of connect the dots. We get a package that works. We have to move the winch, move this move that you know, and all these sensors have to be related to one another in certain areas. It becomes very very very complex, like calculus equation that we're trying to solve, you know, make this optimal solution.
Speaker 3: And we we we finally.
Speaker 4: Got it done, and then we kind of connect the dots and then we go through aesthetically and we have a very talented team of car designers that we go through, and I mean we really nitpick every single radius and bone line and trying to make everything line up with the truck to make it look like it's an OEM plus type truck. Yeah, and and you know, now we have to go through and go through the manufacturing like, can't we make that radius?
Speaker 3: You know? Can this stamping die?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: There's what we want to do is what you can do?
Speaker 3: Right? Do we have the tonnage to do that?
Speaker 4: This?
Speaker 3: That the other thing.
Speaker 4: One of the cool things about fort you'll notice some little skid plates out on the outer corners. That's a new thing that we'll be carrying through to all of our bumpers because we noticed that, like let's say a moab where somebody's recreational four wheeling, we were seeing those bottom corners getting scratched up quite a bit on the far outside. So we started putting these wear bars in. So it's ten millimeter thick steel and it has this wear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get your little off camera, that's the first thing that's gonna touch.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so this way it kind of protects the bumper, it strengthens the bumper, it's lightweight, and it's replaceable. And we started actually doing that on the Colorado mid size because we had side blind zone sensors that we had the package for and we just didn't have enough room for a true rock rail on the rear bumper, so we started just doing these flat plates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with plastic covers in that one.
Speaker 4: Now I'm where you would take the plastic cover off if a wheeling put the plastic cover back on. On these heavy duty bumpers, it's just the steel.
Speaker 3: But it's it's nice.
Speaker 4: Because it's, yeah, it's going to take a lot of abuse.
Speaker 2: I'm always so impressed with AEV and that's why, you know, I vote with my own money, and that's why I buy this stuff. Is everything is just considered. Like I've been through so many trucks, Like my my wife is at the point where she's just like, just buy the AEV. I don't know why you're messing around, Like I'm tired of, like you trying to find a suspension a shock that works with this spring and then it rides like crap, and then you put a bumper on it and then it's not really set up for the eight ass or the parking sensors. And it's really like just having this package because a lot of people are doing.
Speaker 1: This stuff anyways. You know, I think it's cool.
Speaker 2: That you know you're gonna have these parts available independently of doing you know, as you have with the PXL and all your other stuff.
Speaker 1: Those guys that.
Speaker 2: Want to you know, as money allows kind of guys, girls, I want to upgrade. We would start with the bumper or start with the suspension and go from there. But it's nice that you can kind of stick to a cohesive system that's actually meant to work together.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, as you just identified a lot of our customers, it's not their first vehicle. By the third, they've tried to build two. Yeah, the third one they're like, you.
Speaker 3: Know what, I just want to build.
Speaker 4: Like like a lot of our heavy duty customers, they have a use in mind. So whether it's putting a camper in it, whether it's towing in this case, now we're getting into a lot of industrial commercial customers. Like even our new brush guard for the FXL has spots for emergency.
Speaker 1: So you are going to do a brush guard for this.
Speaker 4: We have a brush guard yep, and it's got it's like it said for our for more commercial customers, it's even got spots for industry or for emergency lighting.
Speaker 2: Oh that's kind of cool.
Speaker 4: So all that stuff's built in taken into consideration for like brush trucks and things like that. Yeah, But then you know, if we look at the overline market, a lot of people are like, you know, I'm put a camper in it, whether it's a small camper or a big camper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they want to just kind of mess around with the back stuff and not.
Speaker 4: So much the hard vehicle engineering they want to play with, like Okay, I'm gonna put a diesel heater in it, and I'm gonna do this, and I'm gonna put air conditioning in it or suit it up for their needs.
Speaker 3: Right, But it's less it seems like, even though this is a hobbyist kind of.
Speaker 4: Demographic, Yeah, they're they're switching more to like I want to build the back of the truck out the way I want it, not so much the rest of the truck.
Speaker 3: I just wanted that part to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean a lot of this stuff, you know, sitting here and over on XPOS, it really has become about the campers, you know, the living the little home on wheels that people are trying to build a little sailboat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's it's a lot more affordable to do than you know, looking at one of these the big, big expedition campers, like what we're sitting in there. You know, the guys we work with at truck house or you know bliss. I mean there's that stuff, and then there's a lot of stuff that's way more approachable for sure, and you can do it yourself.
Speaker 3: As a hobbyist and you know, really have some fun with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel there are a lot of people, how do you say it, They don't really maybe they just don't know how good their vehicle can be in the aftermarket, Like there's kind of this, Oh it's squeaking, that's fine, it's just this part. I get an extra half inch wheel travel from that upper control arm or whatever. Like you know. Again, it's one of the things I appreciate of AV Like it just works like it's stock, but it's better, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I'll be honest.
Speaker 4: You know, we've been doing this a long long time, but since we started working so closely with Chevy, yeah, that's really opened our eyes to you know, well, we always did OEM things, like we've done OEM stuff with Jeep and RAM and we know how all the cooling systems.
Speaker 1: You always approach it with like that mindset.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but when we really went through it with GM and we're really looking at you know, everything to go into the plant, like with ergonomics and you know, all the things that you never think of.
Speaker 2: That you're saying something like you have x amount of time to install a bumper, and then that has to factor into how it's designed, like oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or sequencing robots. You know, these bumpers go on sequencing.
Speaker 4: Robots and they all go out in the room of twenty thousand square feet and they all get in line. So the guy you know putting the bumpers on, he just turns around, grabs next bumper, puts it in the line, you know, red bumper, blue bumper, av bumper, crumbumb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he just turns around, grabs it. He doesn't care.
Speaker 4: He's not picking one out, he's just putting it on. Right, it's all factored in with by computers. But just going through all that and the ergonomics and how you know, putting a bumper on in twenty six seconds, it's really helped us, you know, even move to even another level above yeah, because now we start to look at that with all of our.
Speaker 5: Products, not a week goes by that someone doesn't reach out to ask how they can help support the podcast. We are supported entirely by Overland Journal, the magazine, so When you become a subscriber to the Overland Journal print magazine, you get the beautiful book that comes in five times a year. It also gives you access to our digital archive, and it's well over one hundred pages of gorgeous images and detailed testing and adventures from around the globe. So if you go to Overland Journal dot com and you subscribe to the magazine, use the code Overland podcast and that'll get you twenty percent off. It's only available to our podcast listeners. We don't advertise it anywhere else, and then you help us to maintain that independent, employee owned journalism that we have been famous for, so it allows us to conduct those tests without any advertorial Another way you can help out too. I produced a book last year with Simon and Schuster called Overlanding one oh one. You can find it on Amazon or Barnes and Noble or even your local bookstore, and that encompasses my decades of travel around the world, all my mistakes and failures, and the lessons that I've learned in traveling around the globe. Many of those that you hear on the podcast have been distilled down into print form with great lists and beautiful imagery, so you can find that at your local bookstore. Overlanding one on one and thank you all for listening and for supporting us so much throughout these years.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the things you mentioned a while ago is that there's.
Speaker 2: Like a a spec for how many square millimeters of cooling space that you couldn't change. Was like that was.
Speaker 3: Talking about that's actually on a wheel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh that's in a wheel.
Speaker 3: Bumpers are the same.
Speaker 4: Way too, right, I mean you've got yeah, you might have you know, in frontal area, you'll have a certain spec on how many square millimeters of cooling, so.
Speaker 2: If you I'd never thought about that on wheels though, Sorry, I blow my mind like that. The bumper thing is self explanatory in a way. You're like, oh, it needs so much airflow. But wheel cooling you.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, yeah, wheel cooling breake cooling.
Speaker 4: Even even like I mean, we have pages of car wash standards on wheels, right, so that you know, and you've noticed our wheels don't look like they look more like an OEM wheel than an aftermarket wheel.
Speaker 3: A lot of that.
Speaker 4: So it's easy to clean. Car washings can clean it. You can get in there with your hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the car washing when it goes through the whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, coatings and the way coatings stick to wheels, I mean all that stuff. I mean, you just don't think of the market doesn't really consider it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I never thought about the wheel thing because you know, you see some of these you see some of these aftermarket wheels, you know, and they have Okay, I'm just saying, I hate these black rhino wheels.
Speaker 1: They look like the wheels on my Earth Rummer.
Speaker 2: But they're just like a series of you know, they're solid with a series of Chinese pot metal fake bolts on them. And you're like, well, when you when you think of it from that way, it's like, well, there's no cooling there. But most people wouldn't even my mouth shut, well, I could say, you don't have to. So you've also done a rear bumper for this, and it's kind of carrying that bent to be design with the molded end caps that are above it. It's definitely some some continuity there.
Speaker 3: It's funny.
Speaker 4: I mean, we worry about like the rear corner is probably the easiest place on a one ton truck to damage if you're actually gonna use it off road, but it also we have we think about things like, Okay, somebody's gonna jump in this. They're gonna forget their trailers attached, and they're gonna jackknife their hitch, their or their jack into the bumper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it happens. Yeah right, I can't say it's ever happened to me, but it's happened.
Speaker 4: You see a lot of factory bumpers with a nice crease in them, So we try and think about that. We try and place the toe hooks there, integrate real toe hooks into these big trucks. I shouldn't say hooks, but recovery points their nodular iron just like the factory or just like our front ones. This on the Ford bumper ties into the hitch. It's a very very stout setup, and we try to make it modular so if you do run, you know, a excavator trailer into it, and we don't want it to bend the frame, we'd rather than the bumper. But we make it so you don't have to replace the whole thing and just replace one section of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's a good point, Like it's probably relatively easy to build something that's just you know, hell for stout, like not going to move, but then it's gonna been the next thing online, which is the frame of the frame.
Speaker 1: Don't want to mess up.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, we want to balance that protection so by tying it into the hedge. You know, if you get rear ended in Tijuana, it's not going to be a problem for you. Yeah, you know, So we want to balance the hat with protecting the corners and then you know, not destroying the trout if you yeah, you know, if you were unfortunate enough to check if your trailer into it.
Speaker 2: So what else in the content of the FXL packages. There is obviously the front, rear bumpers, the wheels.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we'll be working on some more suspension upgrades. Like I said, we're getting in the the five fifty, so four to fifty five fifty, which is actually a wider front flare.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll have our own super single because.
Speaker 2: Before, like on the on the rams, you had like your prospector flair and then you had like a little add flair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it wasn't ideal, and so on RAM we'll be making a wider front flare. Also, there's enough demand picking up for these fifty five hundred.
Speaker 2: Trucks yeah, a lot of these expedition trucks and super single conversions and all of that kind of st Yeah.
Speaker 4: So we'll be doing a wider front flair. We do have the brush guard coming. We've got the super single wheels, which are twenty inch wheel.
Speaker 1: Oh you're gonna do a super single.
Speaker 4: We are doing a super single. It's kind of unique to the market. It's not a deadlock like what's on this truck, but it's it's just a you know, it's a super single wheel. It's a forged wheel and it's set up. One of the interesting things about it is in the commercial truck world, you know, you have beds and utility boxes and equipment that's either set up for single rear wheels or dual rear wheels, and this wheel will be you can run it in one of two different positions for like to match it up with a single rear wheel bed or box rear wheel better box.
Speaker 3: We can't wait to see that. So that'll be nice.
Speaker 4: Like I mentioned, the brush guard does have emergency lighting for those brush truck, ambulance.
Speaker 3: Toe truck type applications.
Speaker 4: And then we'll be doing you know, we have a bunch of products schedule but those are the ones that will be out for it.
Speaker 3: Snorkle, good question. So I would love to do a snorkel.
Speaker 4: We have not given up on a snorkel, and we've looked at it a lot. It's really hard to get the snorkel to package on the Ford. There's just no way through what we call the fees them, which is the front end structural module. It's a series of tubes that kind of support the fenders, headlamps, the grill, radiator, the battery. It's these tubes that come off the front of the truck and it's actually they're steel, unlike the rest of the try which is aluminum. And the problem is, you know, there are some aftermarket companies just cut a hole through it with the wholesale and they're done. Yeah, but when you have batteries at leigh seventy five pounds and you're bouncing down the road, you can't just go and do that.
Speaker 3: Especially you know, it's also.
Speaker 4: Your main crash structure, and so you're you know, we're talking crash with an aluminum body. To take out that steel structure, it's the only steel structure in the body. To take that out by putting a five or six inch hole through.
Speaker 2: It just is a really good idea.
Speaker 4: And then the way they've done all their wiring, it's very complex. So I'm not saying we're giving up. We're going to continue.
Speaker 1: Working, but it's going to be a challenge, and it's a challenge.
Speaker 4: We figured out a few ways to get through and then it's kind of it ends up being esthetically challenging. So we're working on it. I can't say that it will happen with one hundred because there's.
Speaker 2: So much going on with that Ford sixty seven. There's two cooline systems. Yeah, I mean you if you ever want to get stressed out for an inch to work on, look at the Ford, like, you know, maybe that's one area. I like the rams It's like, oh turbo, Yeah, there it is.
Speaker 1: I can see it.
Speaker 2: I could replace it, you know, if this is a vehicle you had for a long time. I mean the Ford stuff's great, like it's it's it's pretty really it's it's very real.
Speaker 4: I'll say it's highly optimized. Yeah, the best way I described the engine bay of the Ford. But it's challenging, especially from the snorkel standpoint. So we'll work on it. We may have some other options, but for now we don't have a snorkel.
Speaker 2: Well, how are people going to know him an over then or shucks?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's those Matt track. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And a special thanks to Hankook Tire for supporting this week's podcast. With Summer Underway, head over to Expeditionportal dot com for Jeep Beach Vibe inspiration. Our team spent the weekend with Handcooke Dinapro Tire at this year's twenty twenty six Jeep Beachweak in Daytona, Florida and took a look at their Wrangler three ninety two. Look for Jeep Beach twenty twenty six when you go to Expedition Portal dot com.
Speaker 2: So what else is going on with this thing and anything any anything else you're trying to kind of develop to bring to market.
Speaker 4: On the forward platform, we'll have several different ways to carry a tire carrier or to carry the spare tire, so we'll probably have three different spare tire carriers for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, so well, but I know you've said before like they're really hard to engineer properly.
Speaker 4: It's one of the hardest things to do in this world of you know, it's a moving part. Anything moving is difficult, and then anything canily for and hanging off of that, you know, five feet five six feet bet on the rear wheels, which is your pivot point, is really challenging.
Speaker 2: I remember, like one of the things you kind of taught me or showed me over the years is like you just like just a little bit of light pressure on a lot of these things. You just keep doing it, and you keep doing it, and you keep doing it, and all of a sudden, the trucks the truck's moving, and you got to think, that's it.
Speaker 1: If you're dealing with your finger, what's that happen?
Speaker 2: What's what's happening with all that weight going down the road and that steal fatigues the bearing, fatigues the bearing worth.
Speaker 1: You know, the bearing should probably be fine, but everything that's.
Speaker 4: Attached to Yeah, you'll find out going out to Death Valley, you know, on one of those forty mile washboards. Yeah, it doesn't really work that well. So we do have a good solution. It'll be a really really unique I think the overlanding community.
Speaker 3: Will love what we're doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's gonna be a really nice system and we've got it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of challenges.
Speaker 4: With that, like you know, snow and ice pack and you know, how is this How are your detense gonna work? And you know you've got a two hundred bound tire if you open it on a hill or you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Get crushed you know your wife, Yeah, get crushed.
Speaker 4: So we did some really cool things with controlling that tire motion, which is making.
Speaker 2: Sure that's something you don't really think of, like you see, like I'm looking at a forerunner right now that's got a rear bumper on it, and I'm looking at the arms like four or seven feet long, and if you're on a hill, like, oh yeah, that could catch any the off.
Speaker 4: Guard, right, And these tires are big and heavy and yeah, so we don't want you to you know, it can't be hard to open. You can't you know, can't be a runaway. You know, these things are massive. So yeah, we developed some really neat things that you know, aren't affected by altitude, aren't affected by mud and snow and ice and all the things that actually you know, like you see people try to put gas struts on these things, and you know, somehow control the motion with that you know, you go up to altitude and it doesn't work very well, or it fails you at the worst time, or it doesn't like mad chlora.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I never thought about that with altitude, with those gas threats, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they become less effective. Right, So anyway, we do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've done a lot of cool things and that that's a new product. We do have like some new Rocker guards coming from RAM that will be pretty interesting. Yeah, we have a lot of new products coming out. So if anybody you know it's looking for new stuff, we have some really cool Wrangler stuff coming.
Speaker 1: So you guys did the four inch dual sportlift for JL.
Speaker 4: We just did a foreign sit for for We do have some folks, you know, enough of our clientele is into you know, out West and into pretty heavy rock crowlling where they were looking for thirty nine. So we do have a four inch lift now. And we have some really cool interior storage stuff coming, which is something I've always shied away from because I think there's some pretty good solutions on the market.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we came out or were.
Speaker 4: Coming out with a really cool new interior storage flat floor system.
Speaker 3: Cool, and I'll leave it at that. For now. It's a really unique system because.
Speaker 2: The pack, which is like the extended UH window, arches on the back storage.
Speaker 3: Storage on the side, but this is like a floor system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love pair of nicely with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, it'll be It's I've always shied away just because I thought there's a lot of people doing a decent enough job.
Speaker 3: But then we figured out something.
Speaker 4: Really to make it really convenient, to make your life really easy, yeah, and solve a lot of problems all with one thing. So we we've been working on that for six eight months now.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Well, I always learn something every time you come on the podcast. I always have people that come up to me and say, I love the ones with Dave. I always learn stuff. So thanks for taking the time to you know, to do this and geek out and the stuff. So June, parts will be available for start tickling effl.
Speaker 3: They'll start trickling out and then.
Speaker 2: If somebody wants one of these right now, yeah, how do they get one?
Speaker 3: Right? We are taking pre orders.
Speaker 4: We're prioritizing customers, individual customers over dealers. So if you want one, contact our sales team, talk to them. They won't be delivered and probably until let's say September, October, okay, somewhere in there. But yeah, we're starting to trickle out parts now.
Speaker 2: Cool. Well, I'm super excited for it. I can't wait to spend more time with it. I think that the Ford guys will be really stoked. I know how much I like my prospect or excels. To see this on the forward is really great, So thanks, thank you very much.
Speaker 5: H