Speaker 1: And I invited you here. I thought I made myself perfectly clear.
Speaker 2: When you're a.
Speaker 1: Guest to my home, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no, guests, you're a presences presents enough. I already had too much stuff, So how did you dare.
Speaker 2: To surbey me?
Speaker 3: Welcome to I said, no gifts. I'm pretcher wineker Mmm, I'm here. What's happening? We're back, We're back together again. It's been a week, we're here.
Speaker 2: I don't know what this says about me.
Speaker 3: The guest is I've made the guess extremely nervous. You just relax. This has nothing entirely me. This is my problem. Don't bring your insecurity to my insecurity.
Speaker 2: I'm projecting.
Speaker 3: Ah No, this is just kind of how I'm existing now. I'm trying to think of even what's I'm going back to the last few days and I'm just trying to remember what's going on in my life. I think the big event was chocolate chip prices have gotten way out of hand. I don't know if you've been to the grocery store recently. I was there a couple of days ago. I had to go home empty handed. It's ridiculous. It's out of control, and so don't tell me about Trader Joe's more affordable chocolate chips. Of course, I knew that I got those, but the brand I wanted and I'm not going to it has doubled in price since the last time I bought them. And then so that happened. I went to a picnic that did nothing for me emotionally. Saturday night, I drove to a party and then drove home without going to the party. That felt pretty good, and I'm sorry. I'm back in a little house on the prairie. I started watching that again last night, and in the episode, Charles's mom dies of whatever, and I had never been introduced to the character, so I didn't even who cares if she died. I don't think the audience cared that she died, and then we don't care that Charles cares, and then the episode became very boring. So I'm glad she's dead, and I think that that's it. Let me see if I have anything in my document anything. Oh, do you know? It was huge? We do need to mention this. Taylor. Frankie Paul has liked one of our Instagram posts, and she, of course is the kind of embattled Secret Life of Mormon Wives X. She's not a life currently, but you know she previous bachelorette. We don't know if we'll ever see that footage, but she has reached out by liking a post. And this feels like we are now on the road to me being in a fight with the Secret Life of Mormon Wife character. Every journey begins with one step, and I think this is it. So we'll keep our eye on that. And wow, I started with just kind of nothing, and then I brought an encyclopedia of things to talk about. But we should get into the show. Today's guest has already basically introduced herself. It's Chloe Radcliffe.
Speaker 2: Chloe, let me in there.
Speaker 3: Welcome to I said, NOE Gifts.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, you know, the energy was just I don't know. I'm already on my second diet coke. Here. Yeah, I've been in the studio for twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: You're good.
Speaker 4: Oh this isn't this isn't like you didn't you don't wake up with your first diet coke.
Speaker 3: No, I have coffee, and then I had a second coffee. Then I got here. And I thought, I'll have a sip of a diet coke and then you ten minutes late.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's minutes late. Look, I I will cop to it. Now.
Speaker 4: Was I almost certainly going to be running five minutes late if somebody hadn't parked me in and then I got an incredible excuse to be ten minutes late.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, that's kind of the ideal thing.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Oh love flaming my own problems on somebody else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you get like your half guilty at that point, and so just let the other person be fully guilt. Who was parked behind you? A friend, a laborer? Oh so you're.
Speaker 4: Making nice a nice nice man who is you know, probably very scared of most of his most days.
Speaker 3: At this point, you're going around screaming at people to get out of your way. I'm on my way to record a podcast.
Speaker 4: Who's the brown man who's painting an apartment below the apartment where I'm staying.
Speaker 2: Get him out from behind my car now, he's very very moved the car.
Speaker 3: It's uh. I think that's just a common issue in Los Angeles. I don't know that many people outside of this city run into Oh the driveway had four cars. Yea, yeah, and they're all slightly related to each other. Yeah, what you know, like he was probably uh he was working on a friend's apartment of your friend. And you're, oh, yes, yes, yes, not even living there.
Speaker 4: That actually might be true. I think I haven't asked. I haven't asked my friend who I'm staying with. But they just moved in the same building, within the same building, So I wonder, actually if he's painting their old.
Speaker 3: Part interesting your friends separately moved into the same building.
Speaker 2: As in I'm staying with a couple.
Speaker 4: Yes, they were in one apartment and now they moved to a different apartment in the same.
Speaker 2: Like four plex. Oh why, I think it has one extra bedroom. Oh and that is the bedroom that I'm saying.
Speaker 3: That you're saying, yeah, surprise. And there are two cats. You mentioned there's.
Speaker 2: Two cats, there's two dogs. It's a full house.
Speaker 4: I've been coming home at somewhere between three and four every morning because I'm here for Netflix as a joke, right, and so the after parties are going until two thirty, and then I get home at three and whatever.
Speaker 2: And one of the dogs absolutely fucking hates me.
Speaker 4: She's this little piece of shit I'm sorry, Mary Andrew if you ever listen to this little piece of shit who fucking hates me. And so at three fifteen, every single morning has been I'm sure waking up this entire building and the building next to it.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, I don't have I can't do anything about it.
Speaker 3: She's yapping away.
Speaker 2: She's yapping away.
Speaker 4: Survey says, I probably shouldn't have stayed there, but hey, at this point, we're in for a penny, in for a pound.
Speaker 3: So what do you do while she's yapping you're just quietly tiptoeing in, or you're just so wasted you barely notice.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I'm driving black out on the four h five. No, no, no, no, I I've been the only way that I've been surviving these late nights. You can hear in my voice that my voice is like it's very tired. The only way I've been surviving is not drinking.
Speaker 2: That's mine, of course, because it's like it's it's rough enough.
Speaker 3: The idea of just being awake to that point is.
Speaker 2: Being away to that point.
Speaker 4: And then I've done somehow I've I've had like morning events the last few days, and yeah, so I've not been getting very much sleep.
Speaker 3: My secret is making the schedule or somebody else.
Speaker 4: I am. Someone else then comes to me and goes, what about all these things? But I am the one going, yeah, yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 3: How do you think you are as a house guest?
Speaker 4: I think when every living being in the apartment respects me, I respect every living bea.
Speaker 3: You're really setting up some how about that justification of bad behavior? What does that even mean? So you're horrible?
Speaker 2: I'm horrible? No, I think.
Speaker 4: Look, I think I'm a good house guest. I the room, whatever room I'm staying in, I tend to let be very very messy.
Speaker 3: Sure that makes it, but I close the door right.
Speaker 4: And anything outside of that room, I'm sort of like, it's not you know, it's my job to not track any mess around.
Speaker 3: No, I think that that's totally fine to leave that room messing. You're that's your real private space when you're the HouseGuest. No one else is using it at the time. Yes, as long as you leave it clean enough when you leave.
Speaker 2: I'm a big buy gifts at the end of a stay.
Speaker 3: Oh and what are you getting this time?
Speaker 2: I will probably this house. My base is a big giant pack of toilet paper.
Speaker 3: Oh smart, because.
Speaker 2: It's like everybody likes it, everybody uses it, everybody. It's like it's sort of funny.
Speaker 4: It's like cheeky enough to be charming, but it's also like functional.
Speaker 2: I'm not trying to guess.
Speaker 4: It's not a fucking hundred dollars candle, right, it's not more fucking olive oil.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, olive.
Speaker 4: And honestly, what's so funny is that I think in LA everybody gets each other olive oil. I actually could use some goddamn olive oil, but I never have house guests in New York.
Speaker 2: Somebody send me fucking olive oil.
Speaker 3: Oh I would have. I don't even know what I would do with more olive oil. I would have to be pouring it down the sink, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, coating well that way, that way everything else slips down the stae.
Speaker 3: It's the disposal. Would think, may probably.
Speaker 2: I did get.
Speaker 4: Last time I was in LA, a couple of months ago, I stayed with a friend who had just moved into I keep finding people who have just moved, being like, I want to make your plate uncomfortable. I a friend had just moved and he This was like a big upgrade for him. He has been living below his means for a very long time, right, And he was very picky about where he was moving and he's very particular about his space and and like rightly so. And he's like hot and cool and you know, probably OCD and has his you know, his life is very like regimen.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So he had finally picked this place and then.
Speaker 4: Me a Tornado, a sort of haunted house for neurodivergent people comes in and like flops down in his life.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: But I got him two pieces of art, Wow, big pieces.
Speaker 4: Of art that I was like, I don't think he would ever pick these, but I think he really, I think he would like them.
Speaker 2: And I think they're like going with the theme. They're like simple but a little risky.
Speaker 3: This feels so high stakes to me.
Speaker 4: Yes, but I kind of love and I picked him out on Facebook park Place and I drove to fucking Irvine.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, at least that's probably an hour and I drove.
Speaker 4: I drove over an hour, oh in both directions, got these two big pieces of art.
Speaker 2: He said he really likes them.
Speaker 3: Do we know if they're on the walls yet?
Speaker 2: I don't I haven't been back.
Speaker 3: Ask for a video tour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how's your place feeling?
Speaker 3: That's so true?
Speaker 2: Are you settling in?
Speaker 3: What a swing? From toilet paper to like, here are massive pieces of art you have to.
Speaker 2: Display, yeah, to like a taste.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's kind of nice actually, because picking art for yourself is also really high stakes, where like I'll be paralyzed. I'll be like, well, I just will never put anything on my walls because I can't figure it out for somebody to just be like, here's something, Yes, put this.
Speaker 2: On the walls. Here you go. And they were I.
Speaker 4: Knew basically they're they're like fairly simple, actual pieces of art. They're like they're just little like sort of beach nature scenes. But they were matted in these huge frames with tons of matting around it, and it makes this.
Speaker 3: Like kind of dramatic statement, right right, But.
Speaker 4: They're very simple, And that's what made me be like, I think this guy who likes kind of simple things, right, but got this giant fucking place that can swallow a bunch of art.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, I think Yeah's you need as much art as you can get. Basically if you have a ton of space. Y. Wow, very interesting I mean they may have just ended up back, ended up back on Facebook market Place.
Speaker 4: I told him, I was like, you can, you can, you can drop these off a goodwill.
Speaker 2: I do not. I will not go back.
Speaker 3: What did you do? You just hopped on marketplace and typed in art crazy?
Speaker 2: I think I typed in like huge poster.
Speaker 4: And then I also was looking for like some like modern funky, like simplistic but modern interesting like bouhou see right again, stuff that's simple but can still.
Speaker 3: Pop stylish but not like going overboard.
Speaker 4: Yes, and then I just looked at the marketplace for like a week, and then your algorithm learns and it starts feeding me shit, right, And then it fed me these things and they were far away, and because they were far away and they had bad photos, right, nobody I could.
Speaker 3: I could bad photo. I mean, of course it's the secret to anything, renting whatever. So you have a Facebook. See my problem is I no longer have a Facebook profile, so Facebook Marketplace cannot learn about me. It's my sisters. So it's like I'll log in every once a year and I'll be like, here's some kitchen tables in Utah, and it's just like, well, I don't this isn't what I'm looking for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well my house in Utah already has a kitchen table.
Speaker 3: I'm drowning in kitchen tables. It's the last thing. But you're on there. How often are you getting something on Facebook? Marketplace?
Speaker 4: I used to be more of a hound for it, but I will say I go on Craigslist free listings multiple times a day.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, it's to scan. Oh interesting? Have you found anything good? Oh?
Speaker 2: Oh, the best? Like what? I think it's worth me showing.
Speaker 3: You the no, I mean, I'm asking, I'm okay, okay, I want to see what's happening here. I've had zero luck. Usually it's like a CD tower.
Speaker 2: Well, so this is the thing.
Speaker 4: This is why I have to This is why you have to go on it multiple times a day, because there's not that.
Speaker 2: This is what I'm about to describe is a really bad explanation.
Speaker 4: But there's not that many good things, which means that the good shit goes quickly, right, right, and so you kind of got to be on top of it. Okay, let's see if I can find So this is my bedroom?
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh, beautifully appointed bedroom.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: That light fixture that was free is a. It was twenty dollars. It is a seven hundred dollars light fixture. I found it on Craigslist.
Speaker 2: I biked there. I bike everywhere in New York.
Speaker 4: I strapped that thing to my backpack. I have a picture of me riding through. It's literally sitting like feet out from me.
Speaker 3: That's like having a wingspan.
Speaker 4: Yes, truly, I had to go so slowly and be so careful. I'm usually a very aggressive rider, and I was like, it does not matter if it takes me two hours. Again, why did you rent a car because I'm because I'm I am the cheapest person I have ever met?
Speaker 3: Oh, you've met your match?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: Great?
Speaker 2: Oh thrilling?
Speaker 3: Don't even great?
Speaker 2: Great?
Speaker 4: Do you see the like loose sight shelf on the left, the clear thing? Yes, that came from the sidewalk wow in New York.
Speaker 3: Listener, how would you describe the light fixture because it's probably how big do you think that is? It's probably like four feet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's probably three or three to four feet across, and then probably like three feet it was probably four feet in length, and then my uh ex cut it like trimmed the top.
Speaker 3: Okay, after you had biked it after I biked it home, and it's kind of like two arches connected to each other.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like very architectural.
Speaker 3: It's so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you. It's what I'm proudest.
Speaker 3: How far was the bike ride?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: Normally that was probably like a twenty minute ride, and I probably took forty five minutes to get home. The big mirror, this big mirror fixture, yes, free on craigslist. What in the Bronx? And I borrowed a friend's station wagon, a friend who lives way the fuck out in Brooklyn, like in one direction, as far from the Bronx as you can get, right, borrowed their station wagon. Made another friend come with me on this adventure. I was like, we haven't hung out in a while. Do you want to go on a weird friend adventure and then we can talk on this long ride. Right, He came up with me to the Bronx. We put it in the station wagon. Couldn't close the trunk of course. See that's an enormous mirror.
Speaker 2: Yeah, drove it home. Wow, you have to make get it in Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow, good for you. I feel like this sort of thing is easier to do in New York getting good free fines. Yeah, I think because maybe because in New York there's less space, so when something has to go, it just has to go. Even it has good LA, it'll probably just end up in another part of your house for a really long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense. That makes sense.
Speaker 3: Unless it's true garbage. Sure, and then people are like, I'll probably just literally throw it away rather than give it away.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Like there's way less like on the sidewalk.
Speaker 3: In New York you can just walk around, and things on the sidewalk in LA are non starters.
Speaker 2: The problem is things on the sidewalk in New York will give you bed bugs.
Speaker 3: Oh. I think that's probably true in LA too. There's at least bed bugs living in there, if not more, I mean, creatures galore. You're really asking for it. If you occasionally, I'll be tempted, But I just think I think like a mirror, that would probably be something you could pick up off. Yeah, bed bugs get in mirrors.
Speaker 2: They're always looking at themselves.
Speaker 3: They're very vague.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, to every one of them.
Speaker 3: Have you ever had bed bugs?
Speaker 2: Absolutely a.
Speaker 3: Nightmare?
Speaker 2: It is this the thing I am the most scared of in my entire life.
Speaker 3: Of course, it just feels like a plague. Yeah, yeah, when was this twenty nineteen and.
Speaker 2: You're saying you're just crawling.
Speaker 4: It is the scared in the world to me, most primarily because I do not react to the bites, and so I only discovered it because.
Speaker 2: My boyfriend at the time reaction to the bites.
Speaker 4: So then we weren't living together, and so I would keep being like, hey, baby, you want to you want.
Speaker 2: To come over? After I like was pretty sure ironic any of them. I was like, you want to sleep over tonight? He was like, are you using me as a fucking bedbug canary in the coal mine? Are you using me as like a little test? And I was like, no, I miss you.
Speaker 3: I want to see so you're immune to bedbugs?
Speaker 2: Why I'm strong and cool?
Speaker 3: We need to like map your DNA or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, feels I consume. I yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I wonder what's going on.
Speaker 4: I'm also one of the least germophobic people I've.
Speaker 2: Ever been around.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is all adding up with springing free things.
Speaker 2: Into your eye.
Speaker 4: I'm like cheap and I love trash and I don't and I love I kind of love.
Speaker 2: Being dirty and grimy. Okay, and I've showered Dory.
Speaker 3: You live very clean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you, I did my hair. I sort of got the sense that this was a clean This is a clean.
Speaker 3: It's one of those clean sanitary podcast you hear about. Yeah, yeah, there's something else I wanted. There are two things I actually want to talk to about. But the first is kind of a controversial issue. When you came in, you were holding a bagoo bag, which I formerly had this exact same bag. Okay, let's bring it on camera. Do you want to grab it? Yea, yeah, this is a controversy that I'm willing to stir up again. This bag was given to me by my sister in a couple of years ago for a birthday, and I thought, oh, that's such a beautiful bag, what a beautiful green bag. And then I lived my life for two years, two no, probably three years, thinking wow, I have a beautiful green bag in my life, and then somehow it got brought up to another human being and I said, oh I have We've got to get my green bag.
Speaker 2: Go grab my green bag. It's over there. Go grab a bag. You'll know it. It's green.
Speaker 3: And the avalanche of people just questioning my view of the world because everyone said it was yellow. Uh, you came in and I said, what color do you think that peg is?
Speaker 2: Yes? And what did I say?
Speaker 3: You said, sand?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had not heard yet. Yes, I mean, look, I will stand behind sand I this this is it's it's yellowish. I mean I could call this yellow. I caught gold. Maybe there's no fucking world in which this is green.
Speaker 3: Would you say there are green undertones?
Speaker 2: You know what? Actually?
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, yes, Unfortunately, I would actually say that this is like it is a it is a greenier yellow.
Speaker 2: It's not green.
Speaker 3: Well, do you know what the official name is?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: What is it Spanish? Olive? No? I did a lot of digging. I had to do a lot of digging, too kind. I mean, I'm the one being gas list. I had to prove that my reac was true. Now you're grabbing yellow objects green objects. Okay, so this is like it's the deodorant the I think a cold buyer brought that actually and has a yellow cap. No, that's not true, it's dairy glowly. Just grab a green object and a yellow object and tried convinced me this is yellow.
Speaker 2: So this is okay, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: That scared me.
Speaker 4: First second, Oh no, this is the adrenaline portion of my.
Speaker 3: Heart is pounding, sweating. Yeah, I'm just questioning my entire past at this point.
Speaker 2: You're not color blind? No?
Speaker 3: No, I go to the optometrists once a year. They do the whole test.
Speaker 2: Do they do a color blind test?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Have you ever done that? It's very fun. Actually you get to look at like they'll have like a letter, it's made of dots, and you have to like kind of pick out if what the letter is or something.
Speaker 2: Do you go to the optometrists once a year.
Speaker 3: Because I have contexts, So I've got to re up my description.
Speaker 2: Get I have better than twenty twenty vision.
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I can see better than yeah yeah yeah, that's actually true. So I can fly fighter jets. Get me? Is that military?
Speaker 3: You kind of look like you should be flying jumpsuit right now?
Speaker 2: It sort of.
Speaker 4: I also sort of feel powerful holding this juicer. You know, I have my weird little kingdom now, you know, I have I have my what.
Speaker 2: Is this called?
Speaker 3: What is it a lime? Yeah, that's a scept I.
Speaker 2: Have my scepter. I have my bag, in front of me.
Speaker 3: And you've got like a weapon, You've got a spray deodoran spray as an attacker. Wow yeah, wow, But this better than twenty twenty vision, Like that just feels made up to me. What does that mean in practical terms?
Speaker 2: I think, I mean, I think it means it means a serial good. I don't, I don't know. It's just like just told you that a nurse nurse.
Speaker 3: Okay, so now we're getting into some territory of a non fashional, not non expert, I would.
Speaker 2: Say, but I read. I read the whole eye chart.
Speaker 3: Okay. Wow, I don't think I've ever been able to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you could. I think twenty twenty is like gets to a line and then there's below.
Speaker 3: Okay, wow, fascinating You are immune from bed bugs? Yeah, better than twenty twenty fashion. Again, like what's happening DNA wise?
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, look, I genuinely I think I am strong and good and the fact that this is such a like real part of me, This this sort of like incredibly cocky, proud of myself.
Speaker 2: Grimy, weird little monster.
Speaker 4: And then also there's a part of me that's like I'm such a piece of shit, and I've never accomplished anything good in my life and I should quit. I should give up now. And that part comes out when I drink. So it's actually good you're getting this because I haven't been drinking.
Speaker 3: Right, interesting, Yeah, we can thank the festival for the yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for for whatever, for whatever, arrogant shitthead, I'm being right now.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean speaking of things that a piece of shit would do. I was so excited to have you here on the podcast today.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to be here.
Speaker 3: I thought, you know, Chloe, you'll come by. We'll just have a nice conversation and just move on. The podcast is called I said no gifts, so I was absolutely floored when you came trotting into the studio holding this Austin Powers level bag, kind of psychedelic gift bag.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is for me, it is for you.
Speaker 4: I look, this bag is my my signal that I understand that we have slightly different vibes.
Speaker 2: Right. I cleaned myself up, right. I bought a flower bag. I didn't I had it.
Speaker 4: I had it in a Vaughn's plastic bag that I got out of the gutter.
Speaker 2: But then I was like, I don't think Bridger is gonna lie like this.
Speaker 4: I think I need to have a nicer wrapping vessel.
Speaker 2: So that's why I got to feel.
Speaker 3: Like I'm gonna reach in and something's gonna bite me.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Now there are two items in.
Speaker 3: Okay, did should I take the mountain in specific order?
Speaker 2: No? No, No, I think they can come out together. Yes, that's think I've got.
Speaker 3: Oh. Oh, these are gorgeous.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad.
Speaker 3: What are these bracelets? Or are these for like a gorgeous ponytail?
Speaker 4: They look if you can, if you can find a ponytail fat enough, imagine the hair.
Speaker 2: Incredible.
Speaker 4: I think I think that actually would go around the tail of a pony.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, can you imagine the pony? Yeah, pretty pony with this thing on. Yeah, that's sued the Princess of the farms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she she goes drunk with power.
Speaker 3: Yes, starts killing other animals, starts holding a scepter, tramples the farmer's wife. Yes, yes, these are bracelets for.
Speaker 2: Uh who?
Speaker 4: Well for one of them, the one that you're holding in your right hands, for my dead grandmother.
Speaker 1: Her?
Speaker 3: How big was her hand?
Speaker 2: She was a tiny, tiny, tiny new York jew.
Speaker 3: She must have been like four feet tall.
Speaker 4: She truly was under five feet, right, and it shocks me that that could possibly have not slipped off of her hand. But yeah, whoa, it must have just been very annoying, you know, sort of jangling.
Speaker 3: Around because there's no way I could fit this around three fingers. I don't have big hands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh oh it does.
Speaker 3: It does open up.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: We were going in different directions.
Speaker 3: I was saying, okay, I'm putting these on a medium.
Speaker 4: Okay, good, you put them on. And then this one that just pulls apart. No, no, no, at the that's the spring.
Speaker 2: Yes, there you go. Yeah, you got it.
Speaker 3: Wow, I'm feeling so pretty already.
Speaker 2: Look at that.
Speaker 3: And is this also your?
Speaker 2: This one? Now?
Speaker 4: That one I got at a I think I got it at a garage, so okay, And.
Speaker 2: I genuinely love that one, okay.
Speaker 4: And I have spent years being like, I'm gonna wear it some day and I never have and I've never figured out a time to wear that.
Speaker 3: How did you bring these two? Because you're here from New York?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Did you bring these for the podcast?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: They're beautiful and they're just two things that I never ever ever wear, And I think at this point I never will wear.
Speaker 2: But I don't want them to just I was like.
Speaker 4: Nothing, I don't want them to be nothing right, And so they're here.
Speaker 3: I feel guilty taking these from you.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 3: It's very rare that I feel guilty taking anything from a guest.
Speaker 4: Well good, I'm honestly, I think based on the vibe that I've given so far, you wouldn't expect that I brought something you feel guilty into.
Speaker 3: I feel so powerful in these thrilled Wow. So did you have a good relationship with your grandma?
Speaker 2: I kind of barely knew her.
Speaker 4: Okay, my my dad was the youngest of four, and then he had me when I was forty five.
Speaker 2: When I was forty three.
Speaker 3: It was a very strange father giving birth to a.
Speaker 2: Forty came out.
Speaker 4: I came out, you know, hair dye in hand. I'm starting to go gray. I gotta cover this up. Somebody get me a white wine with ice Cubesah, really came up with an attitude. No, he was forty three when I was born, and he is the youngest of four, and so my grandmother was eighty when.
Speaker 2: I was born. Oh, and she lived.
Speaker 4: In New York, and I was born in Philly. But then my dad my parents split up when I was a baby, and my mom moved back to Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Oh, where she was from, right right, and.
Speaker 4: She brought me and so I grew up like visiting my grandma once a year, right, So, I like, I didn't really know her. And then at her funeral, my cousins, who are all like twenty and twenty five years older than me, we're all like, we loved all these memories of Grandma. Grandma given us back rubs, Grandma make us brown, He's Grandma. And I was like, god, I have kind of one memory of Grandma, and that was her telling me to turn on the light because I was reading in the dark and it was going to hurt my eyes.
Speaker 2: And you know what that means? I would have had even better.
Speaker 3: That's right, Oh my god, you'd be unstopaby. Yeah, yeah, you'd be predator.
Speaker 2: But at least I could kill Alien?
Speaker 3: Does Predator kill Alien?
Speaker 2: In Alien v? Predator?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Do we know who the winner was?
Speaker 2: I assume there is a sequel to Alien VI.
Speaker 3: I bet there's a truce. I bet they'd come together as friends, right.
Speaker 2: Hey, buddies.
Speaker 4: The last shot is Alien Predator sitting on one of those like rocking swings that old people have in their front yards as the sun goes down over a lake.
Speaker 3: They're on a tandem bike. Oh, we have more in common than we think. Well, look at that Alien. I wonder I feel like Predator probably one. Predator is probably more of a I feel like Predator could wear ants, like it's a sort of creature that like is one step above Alien, which is just kind of a giant bug Alien.
Speaker 4: Yes, Alien in pants does need to cut like a hole for its.
Speaker 3: Table, right, It's like it's more like I can imagine Alien using a litter box more than Predator.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, Predator. Predator ships into a hole that it has lasered into the ground, and then it sort of lasers its own ship into little ash and then uses that ash to.
Speaker 2: Make a map of where Alien lives.
Speaker 3: Very resourceful.
Speaker 2: Yeah looe, where did that improv come from?
Speaker 3: No idea, where did that fan fag come from? I think we're both passionate about these two. Yeah, so you had very.
Speaker 2: Few seen Alien Predator. Sorry, we had a really off We had a real clear off ramp there.
Speaker 3: I haven't have you, I guess, unless as a very forgettable ending, which you could. I love Alien the movie. Yes, I think Alien is one of my all time favorites. To be honest, I think it's so good.
Speaker 4: I saw it once when I was fourteen, and I was with my dad and I was sick. And my dad called my mom and he was like, what do I do with her? She's sick and she's fucking boring. And my mom said, I don't noticit her on the couch and watch a movie. And he said, great, this is the perfect time for us to watch Alien. I'm sick at fourteen.
Speaker 3: So stressful to be watching well sick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember, I remember liking the movie, but I remember almost nothing about it.
Speaker 3: Oh it's fantastic, it's really great. But then the rest of them I'm not that crazy about.
Speaker 2: I remember Aliens.
Speaker 3: It's not for me. People like that movie not for me.
Speaker 2: Okay. All I remember about that is big wall of dead bodies.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: Interesting, that's the only thing I remember, because dead bodies is my number two fear after number one bead bugs.
Speaker 3: Oh, just dead bodies. Yeah, I guess that's a pretty natural fear.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 4: This is the reaction that everybody has, And I'm like, no, I think I think for me, it's like I'm like more freaked out.
Speaker 2: I'm like I'm more I'm they like really get me, Like yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Kind of a better than twenty twenty situation. I have an edge on being scared of dead bodies.
Speaker 4: More afraid of dead bodies than most people are.
Speaker 3: Not to brag, do you know what my biggest fear was for essentially my entire childhood hunt of virus.
Speaker 2: No, because you're in Utah where there is hunted virus.
Speaker 3: So I mean, and my probably a big fear for me as an adult is going on a cruise. So like these things combining.
Speaker 2: Fucking god, hell has the last two weeks been like for you?
Speaker 3: There really was a day where it's like I have to I've just got to not think about this. I need to find just a reasonable news article that's not stoking any flames, because I think that fear could get out of control.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, And do you have do you have any kind of like OCD tendencies or like hypochondriacal tendencies.
Speaker 3: No, I don't really, I mean, but through that fear as a kid, I like there were there were years where I was not able to sleep alone, and when I would sleep, I would cover my entire body up to my head, worried that a mouse might come in and bite me or give me unt virus.
Speaker 4: Wow, wait, can you get hounta virus from a mouse bite?
Speaker 3: I don't think so, but I think I was just covering my base.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Wait did you not want to stay blown because of your hunt virus fear?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yeah, hontavirus was absolutely horrifying to me.
Speaker 2: It is it is your right. I'm going to say you.
Speaker 3: In this it's uncurable. Correct, it's really a bad I'm not trying to scare anybody. It seems like things are under control. It seems like something that's slow to spread.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's and effective at killing.
Speaker 3: Yes, which is kind of good.
Speaker 2: Yes for an epidemic.
Speaker 3: Yes, I learned that about rabies recently. Like it's hard to get rabies because most from small animals, because it'll be usually kill them before they get to you. Sure, so that rabies was another Most of my fears were rodent based.
Speaker 2: As a child. Interesting any other road in based fears.
Speaker 3: I think those were the two big ones. Just essentially, being bit by a mouse was scary.
Speaker 2: Big bad. Yeah what if you got bit by a larger animal?
Speaker 3: Okay, right, take an arm amazing? Yeah, yeah, it won't get me a rabies not easy, yeh.
Speaker 2: I back in Minnesota.
Speaker 4: I grew up Minnesota and started Comedy of Minnesota, and I the neighbor's cat, which was like a semi outdoor cat, bit me once, and I it bit me a lot, but this one time sort of seemed weird, and I researched rabies and everything said, it takes like ten days to travel from it bit me on the hand, It takes ten days to travel from Do you know all of this?
Speaker 3: So you should have been there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, Are you still afraid of rabies?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I mean actually I wouldn't mind giving it a spin, to be honest, wore this thing?
Speaker 2: Give yourself something interesting?
Speaker 3: Finally, Yeah, I've got nothing else on my schedule. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 4: It turns out that it takes ten days to travel from your extremity to your brain. And it's only bad when it's in your brain. If it says your hand, that's fucking fine. Who cares, can't raby's in your hand, You're totally fine. Not a big and so I and within that ten days. If that it's only transmissible if it's already in your brain. And so if the animal dies within those ten days, if it's in your brain, it's going to kill you.
Speaker 2: Within a couple days, okay, right, And so you just have.
Speaker 4: To see if the animal dies within the next week, if you can keep track of the animal, that's the big, but weird, tough, tough with a mouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, headed into its mousehole. Yea, it's out in the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's tough. But with a cat, I put in a I put a calendar.
Speaker 3: And just wait to see if you're going to die?
Speaker 2: Is the cat dead? And then the cat was alive a week later.
Speaker 3: I got this car rather than seeing a doctor or anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what am I going to do for it?
Speaker 3: Would they be able to tell?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: No, I think they can't tell.
Speaker 4: I think they just give you a round of the vaccination preventatively, and I think the these vaccines are really unpleasant.
Speaker 3: Oh, because you're getting a bit of rabies.
Speaker 2: But I am inoculated naturally.
Speaker 3: This can't possibly.
Speaker 2: I think I could beat rabies.
Speaker 3: You're playing with fire like you're inoculated. Why what a nurse told me, no, Okay, I thought that I.
Speaker 4: Was inoculated because this cat by, but now I'm doing the math that cat didn't have rabies, so I'm but I really do think I feel in my bones that my body could is stronger than.
Speaker 3: Rabies, and I think that's more important than actually being inoculated. Just yeah, absolutely, but if you believe that you are it, I think ultimately.
Speaker 4: Wait, has seriously have you had like bad days over the last couple of weeks about haunt virus.
Speaker 3: There was just the one day when, like, you know, because obviously because of COVID, like the flashbacks to that of like I remember seeing people like making little jokes about it and being like, well, I don't know if I really And that's what was starting to happen, like people in their Instagram stories making a joke about it. I was like trying to stay centered in some way where it's like this is different, yes, and it's hard to get you know, reasonable information, yes, like trying to because every news story is like, well and this person they have made it onto the land or whatever. It's like, well, yeah, but we know them where they are whatever, Like this can be contained.
Speaker 2: Well, the scary thing was the flight attendant, Right, wasn't there flight.
Speaker 3: I didn't know there's a flight attendant.
Speaker 4: I think somebody who's not who wasn't on the boat got sick. But I think, yeah, I don't know. I mean I think we won't really know for a few weeks.
Speaker 2: Right, No, no, no, no, no. And do you go on Reddit at all?
Speaker 3: Yes, I've read it read the last couple of years, a recent Reddit convert. I made fun of it for a long time. I thought that it's only for straight man, but now it's the only good part of the Internet.
Speaker 2: It is the only good part of the Internet. It's the only one left.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's the only place where you can find true answers from human beings. Yes, so crazy.
Speaker 4: I just type whatever whatever I want to type into Google and then I just put Reddit in there.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's the only way to find an answer at this point. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Well done, Reddit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's good for them for kind of sticking it out as kind of just a place where people could talk about Christopher Nolan. And now it's for everybody, and.
Speaker 2: Now everybody can talk about Christopher.
Speaker 3: Yes, now we can finally get it.
Speaker 4: Reddit has sort of lived the arc of the loser in high school who then like keeps themselves together, is just committed to their identity for long enough that then as an adult it becomes you're like, oh, that person is actually kind of cool.
Speaker 3: We're pretty solid, they're dependable, and they've been true to themselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're like interesting, they didn't they didn't go you know, with all the trends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right right, hopefully they can keep that. I mean, that's the same with Craigslist. Actually, Craigslist is i mean basically a wil place. Yeah, but it's always been that way. It's always been a place that you might get killed or get a deal on a couch.
Speaker 4: Yes, And Craigslist is the kind of thing where it's like Craigslis is living the life of the of the like emo grunge, piece of shit kid who then is who is like I'm never gonna have kids and is never going to have children, and now, as an adult, when everybody else has children, is the cool person for not having a.
Speaker 3: Du completely and everyone gets to have fun with them, and just like you can go to them for drugs basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you can go to them for drugs.
Speaker 3: Absolutely what happened to the craigslist killer. Do we know what he's up to?
Speaker 2: I think another craigslist killer got up. He died by suicide.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Baugust fifteenth, twenty ten.
Speaker 2: But was it like the police are closing in? He was awaiting trial.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that'll do it?
Speaker 2: Sure, okay, all right, honestly at that point, yeah, do it go out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just it's time to go. You've done your Craigslist killing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've taken a lot of lives. Take your own life.
Speaker 3: Was he taking a lot of lives?
Speaker 2: He was convicted of murdering three men in Ohio? Oh wow, crazy?
Speaker 4: Okay, So by see and to me, you know what, the scariest part of that is their bodies.
Speaker 2: After they're did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. None of that else is terrifying to you. It's fine, fine, just so let me see what.
Speaker 4: Happened, because I think I could reason with a Craigslist.
Speaker 3: You're putting again, putting yourself in very dangerous, yeah.
Speaker 2: Dangerous territory.
Speaker 4: And and I'm making I'm making a real cocky announcement.
Speaker 3: It's just going to go out to the You're going to have to really vet what you get from Craigslist at this point. I wouldn't mind if you just run them by me from now on.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna hit you up.
Speaker 3: I'm happy to get in touch with these. I can't be responsible for you being Craigslist killed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're because you are now gonna feel complicit. Of course, we talked about it.
Speaker 4: Yes, Hey Bridger, I'm gonna go pick up a printer that only half works.
Speaker 3: What do you think now? This is something you got to guess?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Where else am I gonna get that for free?
Speaker 3: Ah? Well? Wow, I've got these. I feel like we haven't talked about these at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Are you a big jewelry person? I like real it's a nice ring. Where did that come from?
Speaker 2: Freezook workplace?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 4: And I haggled for it, okay, listed for thirty five. I came in at twenty five thirty.
Speaker 3: What did you What was your initial offer? Twenty five twenty five? Yeah, so they just met you.
Speaker 2: They met me at at thirty oh at thirty at thirty okay, and.
Speaker 4: I biked from Ridgewood, where I lived, to Long Island City and I met her on a sidewalk out side of a Trader Joe's at nine thirty at night for.
Speaker 3: A single ring, for a single ring, And then did you slip it on and ride home?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Then I think I went to a stand up show. I think I was on my way to a spot.
Speaker 3: But did you wear it to the show? Flashy new piece of jewelry on stage?
Speaker 2: I should have?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I should have. I should have shown off. Yeah, that's right. I got thirty bucks to spare.
Speaker 3: What's the most you've ever spent on Craigslist?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: What a question.
Speaker 4: I one time I paid my cousin's four hundred dollars for their two thousand dollars couch.
Speaker 2: Oh but that's that wasn't craigslis right.
Speaker 3: That's a different situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, probably probably a hundred bucks or something.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, I got a limit a hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: I bought a new couch this year. I spent two dollars.
Speaker 3: You did not use craigslist? Who did you use?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Love joy Joy Love joybird Joy Birds love Joy something like that?
Speaker 3: Wow? What pushed you to use it to buying an.
Speaker 4: My boyfriend was allergic to my old couch. It was truly making him. It was it was he was waking up like swollen eyes couldn't talk, voices gone so bad allergies And is this.
Speaker 3: The same boyfriend as bed bugs? No, okay, separate situation.
Speaker 2: I date delicate man.
Speaker 3: Yes, you do, just the daintiest flower, pathetic words. It should be blown away by the lights, breeze. That's fine. Yeah, they're like testing things out for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I dated one toxic muscular criminal in between them.
Speaker 2: And he's the one who cut the light fixture down.
Speaker 3: Oh, very good, So he had a purpose.
Speaker 4: I bring him up, him in, he does all the he does all the mechanical shit.
Speaker 2: Then I get rid of him.
Speaker 4: Then I go back to the fragile little flowers. Yeah, no, I am no, but I am. Look I I here's the thing. I don't like this bracelet.
Speaker 3: You don't like it? No, I think it's great, listener, It's like green and blue. What would you say it's made out of?
Speaker 2: No, this is yellow.
Speaker 3: Again. There's always like a second of me thinking, oh no, it's green, blue and gold.
Speaker 2: Green blue and gold. So there's a little yellow on there. It's costume jewelry, for sure. I have no idea. And it's and it's I think I would assume that it's from like the sixties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very chic, I would say.
Speaker 4: And it's got like little enamel painting, like little I think it's a little like painted glass enamel on it.
Speaker 2: It's just like a it's just like a It's it's very mod.
Speaker 3: Do you think I could get away with wearing that?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: You think so?
Speaker 2: Yes, I think so colored?
Speaker 3: Vintage, Yeah, songs, it's vintage. And then what about this other one? Do you like that? It looks more like a little it's almost like a little crown.
Speaker 2: This other one I've always imagined wearing like high up on my forearm.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, that's kind of a I don't know what that is, superhero, wonder Woman, wonder Woman.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's a little a little a little brace, right, but you're not into it.
Speaker 3: It's just so no, I mean, look at me what You've got a gorgeous ring on right now?
Speaker 2: That's true. That is true. I do have a gorgeous ring.
Speaker 3: This thing, I mean, the one we're currently talking about, I would say, is kind of for no one.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you for I honestly appreciate the validation.
Speaker 3: This is like, I mean, unless you're twelve years old, yes, or a figure skater eighty six figure skater. Outside of that, what are you trying.
Speaker 2: To prove to big spray of rhinestone?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's a kind of just.
Speaker 2: It sort of looks like something if somebody still wants to love Claires.
Speaker 4: The jewelers are in the mall, but they're an adult and they feel like they can't go into Claire.
Speaker 3: Right, this is this is all they're Claire. What do you but you don't just wear this with regular clothes. You've got to be wearing.
Speaker 4: I think that there was a time Okay, I worked in a corporate office before I did stay Okay, and I worked in a corporate office from twenty twelve to twenty fifteen, okay, And I think maybe even maybe even earlier, maybe more like twenty eleven something. I think that that age was when like J Crew was selling big rhinestone pieces.
Speaker 3: Oh this makes sense.
Speaker 2: There were like big necklaces with huge glass jewels. Right, do you remember this? Do you know what?
Speaker 3: I can imagine walking into a J Crew and seeing even the models and the photographs wearing the sort of stuff.
Speaker 4: I actually think that this I don't. I think that this is from longer ago than that. I don't maybe this is a J Crew to you know, twenty thirteen.
Speaker 3: This is your from your grandma too, No, that I got from a garage though.
Speaker 2: Okay, my gift is bracelets.
Speaker 3: You stayed on theme. Yes, with two separate sources.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, separate sources.
Speaker 4: My gift is things that are in my house that I can't bear to just put out.
Speaker 2: On the sidewalk.
Speaker 3: But yeah, this don't get in my house anymore. Almost certainly J Crew. Then this feels like a J Crew, like it's by the cash register in like a little bus.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and.
Speaker 3: You're thinking, well this would go well with my new.
Speaker 4: With my blazer, yeah, my cardigan. Yes, and this is this really screams. I wish I was a wasp, you know.
Speaker 3: That's the new collections. That's kind of just J Crew.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, J Crew says, if only my name was on the deed of a sailboat.
Speaker 3: Yes, but unfortunately I live in Arizona.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, these are gorgeous. This this will obviously become part of the set and then I'm gonna I'm gonna see what happens to my personality wearing this around friends, see if anybody calls me out, I'm.
Speaker 2: Curious for that.
Speaker 4: For people's reactions, I really genuinely would like to hear. The thing is that I think it's a very cool bracelet.
Speaker 3: It's just so not me, right, yeah, but I think it's very stylish.
Speaker 2: It's from I mean a New York Upper West Side.
Speaker 3: Yes, stylish old lady.
Speaker 2: In the it might be even older than the sixties. Wow.
Speaker 3: Well, I've got to be careful with that idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I think we should play a game.
Speaker 2: All right, let's play it.
Speaker 3: We're gonna play a game called Gift or a Curse. I need a number between one and ten from you.
Speaker 2: Six.
Speaker 3: Okay. I have to do some light calculating to get our game pieces. So right now, you can promote, recommend, do whatever you want. I'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Wow, okay, promote. I'm promoting myself. That's because that's sort of.
Speaker 3: A line, very non traditional.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I am at Chloe Backliffe on all socials and for our New York friends.
Speaker 2: I'm on tour. I do stand up. I'm going to Seattle in Portland.
Speaker 4: After LA i'll be in Atlanta, I'll be I'm all over for our New York friends, I am doing I have a solo show called Cheat, which is about how I have cheated in.
Speaker 2: All of my past relationships.
Speaker 4: And I am doing that in August for two nights at Joe's Pub August nineteen eighth and twentieth. So come on out to see Cheat in New York.
Speaker 3: And do you have any recommendations?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see, let's see. I'm sure I have recommendations.
Speaker 4: Umm. Look, this is a this is a bit of a NEPO higher but I am dating a very funny comedian named Stuart Laws.
Speaker 2: He's British. Ok So if you're into that accent, look him up.
Speaker 3: He's very fragile. So if you don't like a fragile yeah, yea.
Speaker 2: Oh he's allergic to a fucking couch. I mean you should be. He should.
Speaker 3: I can't sit.
Speaker 4: No, no, yeah, he can't relax. But he's very very funny. You should look him up.
Speaker 3: That's a great recommendation. I don't think I don't consider that NEPO. Okay, that's nice.
Speaker 4: That's yeah, that's that's I'm earning points. Yes, because later I can be a little bit mean to him.
Speaker 3: Exactly. You need some sort of.
Speaker 2: Leverage Hey, I promote, did you on I said, no.
Speaker 3: Kid, doesn't that mean anything to you?
Speaker 4: Please goddamn cook me fucking dinner. I am the idiot husband and he is the long suffering wife.
Speaker 2: Very very very much.
Speaker 3: You have to have one. Yes, yes, Well, this is how we play a gift or a curse. I'm going to name three things. You will tell me if there are a gift or a curse and why, and then I'll tell you if you're right or wrong, because there are correct answers, and you can lose the game, all right. This first one is from a listening. They're very high. This first one is from a listener named Darren. Gift or a curse. When someone says, don't yuck my yum.
Speaker 2: Curse, I truly I both hate.
Speaker 4: I hate the sound of the word yuck and I hate the sound of the word yum. Bad sounds two terrible sounds yuck, yum, awful, so bad.
Speaker 3: Curse correct.
Speaker 2: It's also said by the word people.
Speaker 4: It's that my people with who think that their entire personality can just be voting for Kamala, like I fucking hate yeah, curse.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Just the phrasing is as bad as it probably could be. Yes, it's in some ways, like I get the philosophy just like, but then there's a part of me where I'm I'm very pro snob and very pro telling people things are bad. Yeah, So there's part of it where I'm like, there's certain things like if I'm eating something and somebody tells me that looks gross, Okay, I don't do that. Yes, but sometimes it's like, if someone has a bad taste, I'm.
Speaker 2: You are what are you, bridger? If not a taste maker?
Speaker 3: If not a tastemaker, would be on my grave. Yeah, taste maker. Yes, yes, No, I think we've gone too far in the direction of this. I don't even like saying it aloud of don't yuck my yum.
Speaker 2: Oh, we've were way too supported.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've got a yuck some things.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have to go back to being mean. Yes, that's sort of that. That's why I think.
Speaker 4: I think how soft and supportive and like understanding and empathetic we have we have the the emphasis on uh, you know, understanding everyone's yum.
Speaker 2: Everyone has a different yum.
Speaker 4: Is sort of part of why the the people who we disagree with.
Speaker 2: Have gone so far in the other direction.
Speaker 3: Just being like we.
Speaker 4: Have not cleaned up our own house and yucked in up yums over here.
Speaker 3: We've got to occasionally. Not everything can be yum.
Speaker 2: No, not everything can be yum.
Speaker 3: Okay, you've gotten one correct so far. The second one is from a listener named Molly. Gift or a curse when an item of clothing is described as buttery.
Speaker 4: Now hold on, when a material in an item of clothes that makes up an item of clothing is described as buttery.
Speaker 2: Gift, Okay, this it's buttery leather.
Speaker 4: Fine, I like that, but just being like that shirt is buttery, I'm gonna say I'm gonna I'm going to say a controversial I think it's a curse. My argument for this is that I hate online speak in real life, and I think that that being like, oh those pants are buttery, it's like starting to get.
Speaker 2: A little online speak in real life. So I'm going to say a curse.
Speaker 3: Correct. I don't agree with this in any I don't. I think the first time I heard this was in that documentary about the stretch pants or whatever. The what that's all the information I'm giving you. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Where this is? Where then diagram of our life? Does that scheme.
Speaker 3: Did you not say this about the pyramid scheme where they were selling the faulty stretch pants?
Speaker 2: No, what's a faulty? Also, what can boss? May be faulty? They were not stretching enough.
Speaker 3: They were I think they smelled and it was a pyramid.
Speaker 2: Scheme sometimes, is it? Do you mean the like the old navy jeans smell?
Speaker 3: No, what's that?
Speaker 2: Do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 4: Sometimes there's this specific smell that it's like cheap denim and it smells like it smells like rubber.
Speaker 2: Right, it's not denim. Okay, Interesting, I think you're smelling the polyester.
Speaker 4: I think you're smelling dead dinosaur bones made into genes, you know, quote unquote genes.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I wonder if that's what the legging smell like.
Speaker 3: No, I think they smelled like dead bodies. To be honest, ellis do you know everyone has seen this documentary other than.
Speaker 2: Lula Rich.
Speaker 3: Lula Rich is what it's called. And it was like it was a pyramid scheme, okay, And people were selling these horrible pants and the bodies they smelled something like something sewers, crazy something, But they were described as buttery. The feeling was buttery. I don't think you should apply food adjectives, but maybe, well, yeah, maybe that's what was going on with the smell. It felt buttery and smelled buttery. But no, I just don't think that buttery should I actually don't even think food should be described. It's in the same category as yum or yuck. To me, I got the word buttery. Yeah, yeah, there are a lot of food adjectives that drive me crazy when people are like melt in your mouth or falls off the.
Speaker 2: Bone, falls off the bone. I don't like Yeah, you're right, You're totally right. I don't like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we need a new vocabulary for food. I think all of it off the bone better slithers off the battle except crawls out of the bowl. You've gotten two correct so far? Ok, very good. Finally, this is from a listener named Matt Gift or a curse googling someone before a date.
Speaker 2: I think, curse why.
Speaker 4: I think it's just frankly, too much work. Frankly, I'm gonna know within ninety seconds based on how their face moves whether I like them or not, and you know what I mean, And and then like it should be based on the date. And I don't even mean like, well, the person could present, you know, a lie. It's like if you're if they're presenting a lie. I think I'm gonna know, right, I might not know what they're lying. I don't know, I might not know what the truth is sure, but you'll see something.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be fucking off. Yeah, and then I'm gonna be like.
Speaker 3: No, correct, you win a game.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I think this is a curse.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I understand why someone would want to try, but first of all, leave some mystery. Yeah, let the relationship play out and get dragged out as long as possible. It's hard to find somebody, So even if it's for a few weeks and then you find out.
Speaker 2: Way a little bit of your fucking life.
Speaker 3: Yes, otherwise it's just going through more profiles. Wouldn't you rather be lied to for a few months?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I I would. I just it's it drives me nuts to me. This is like people.
Speaker 4: Trying to use the internet to be in control, and I just frankly have have let life throw the dice as it may.
Speaker 3: M right right now. I mean, I think it's kind of unavoidable. I mean, especially you end up seeing them on Instagram or something. But if you can avoid, yeah, try to avoid beforehand. Yeah, and then you can also start kind of building your little mystery with them, like, Okay, they'd said this, but now I'm seeing this. Things are not adding up. I'm in danger. Yes, and uh.
Speaker 4: Also the idea of coming into a date knowing things. So I bet I bet that this right?
Speaker 3: Wait?
Speaker 2: Are you are you dating at this point?
Speaker 3: I'm in a relationship.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay. Were you were you dating around while you had a podcast?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, so I now I'm in a monogamous relationship.
Speaker 4: But when times when I have been dating and people have come in and been like, oh, I send to a podcast that you were on, It's like I don't want, I don't don't.
Speaker 3: What do you do with that information?
Speaker 2: I guess I would.
Speaker 4: Rather they tell me than not tell me. And then I like and then and then later they're like, oh, yeah, that thing that you were telling me, I already knew because I had heard this, But it's still like, it's like, I don't want you to fucking know. I want you to interact with me, to engage with me, as I am the person sitting across the table.
Speaker 3: Front right right. I don't think you should bring that much information about the other person too, because then it throws the chemistry off.
Speaker 2: You want, you want a mutual level of information.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm both right. If you're going to listen to me on a podcast, send me one of you, thank you. And if you're not on a podcast, you're obviously not cool enough.
Speaker 4: And if you're going to Google me, then send me your own Google results exactly.
Speaker 3: Yes, uh yeah, I think we're in total agreement. Curse. Let's answer a listener question people are writing into I said, no gifts at gmail dot com, just kind of begging for answers. Yeah, desperate, everyone's desperate these days. We helpe me answer something. Yes, okay, this says I work at a colonial And first of all, it says no deer or no high nothing. It's just right into the question.
Speaker 2: This person, this person is a is a New Yorker.
Speaker 3: They're barging in. They don't have time, They've got to get on the subway.
Speaker 4: I will say, last time I was in La I went to spoke bicycle.
Speaker 3: Cafite oh, which I love, yes, lovely, and the.
Speaker 4: Person behind the counter it was like a long, long line and I got up there.
Speaker 2: We were there.
Speaker 4: I was there with friends for breakfast, and I got up there and I said, They said, hi, how are you?
Speaker 2: And I said I'm good. I'll take a.
Speaker 4: Or Hi, how are you? And I think I didn't say I'm good. I think I said I'll take a whatever. I started ordering because I was like, in the interest of efficiency, sure, and they said how are you?
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh, my fucking god. And I was like, I'm good. How are you? And they went good, thank you. Now what can I get you?
Speaker 3: I was like, Wow, I would be mad at that point.
Speaker 2: I was. I was.
Speaker 4: I thought it was a downding, and my friends who I was with, we all thought it was astonishing.
Speaker 3: But hey, hey man, I mean I get let's be honest, you were being very rude.
Speaker 2: I was, I was being an asshole.
Speaker 3: But if someone's rude to me, yes, I'm just especially if I'm working cash register. I'm like, yeah, I don't care anyway, Yes, let's get you out of here. The sooner you're out of here the better. Yeah, you don't you won't tell me how you are. Yeah, you don't want to be intimate with me?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, anyway, So this person.
Speaker 3: Okay, this person butts in. They say, I work at a colonial House museum and I'm tasked with planning our two hundred and fiftieth celebration of Independence day. I'm not feeling particularly patriotic for obvious reasons and cannot find inspiration for event planning. Bridger and Dearest rude guests. Oh so they're kind of hitting us up at the end of the email, whatever, what would you plan for the day?
Speaker 2: That's from Jennifer for the day at a colonial house?
Speaker 3: What fourth of July two hundred and fiftieth?
Speaker 2: But what is that? One? Is the colonial.
Speaker 3: Colonial House Museum? Okay, so I think usually they've probably got they've got sparklers, they have some sort of made out of raspberries.
Speaker 2: To me, it's like.
Speaker 4: The day, look, this is this is not a funny answer, This is an earnest answer, but like, could the day be celebrating, uh, ways that people like patriotically exercise their right to free speech and like protests or whatever, or like like civil engagement. Honestly, maybe just highlighting civil engagement. And it's like, how does voting at the local.
Speaker 3: Level just bore people to death?
Speaker 4: Or what about highlighting I wonder if there's a parallel between the Revolutionary War and uh, what our country is right now.
Speaker 2: And this is clearly the topics that I don't I don't know, and we threw we threw off the the idle of the English oppression.
Speaker 4: I wonder if there's like a way that you can sort of get the message of fuck the direction that the country is going in right now out through the lens of the revolutionary War.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's that would be nice, you know what I'm saying. Be kind of exciting. Yeah, yeah, I have a hard time with this. The fourth of July just historically is the where I bottom out each year, just deeply depressed. Really yeah, and it's I think part partly to do with the holiday, but partly it's just something's happening. I'm always at a low on the floor.
Speaker 2: There is a summer angst. Yeah, I know exactly what summer angst you're talking.
Speaker 3: And I think the dissonance of people celebrating is so happy, yeah over something where you're like whatever you're doing. And I don't like fireworks or hot dogs. I love fireworks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does that really? That booes it up for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's just me, it's a huge clash, and then I end up just questioning everything on the fourth of July, So I don't have a lot to say about the We've got the big number two hundred and fifty. You can do a lot of fun with that. Guess the jelly beans, but I guess the number would be two hundred and fifty. So that's not a good guessing game.
Speaker 5: Sure, sure you could say you could guess well, no, no, no, it's it's you have you have a big bucket of jelly beans, and you say, try and get as close to two hundred and fifty jelly beans as you can, like right, Like guess.
Speaker 2: That's a great game, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a lot of just avoidance. I'm kind of saying avoid thinking about how terrible.
Speaker 2: You could you could have.
Speaker 4: You could have a little track around the house and have one of the like ponies on a stick and give people a tri corner hat and let them run around and yell one if by land two if by see right? Or she could do that or oh yes, she holds up the lantern, and then you, like Paul Revere, must run around the house and like telling people the British are coming.
Speaker 2: The British are coming.
Speaker 3: I think that's a nice thing to happen at the museum.
Speaker 2: That's fun.
Speaker 3: Play some loud, non paid just like loud pop music. It doesn't have to be our standards. Okay, just get in there with some club beats.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about Party in the USA.
Speaker 3: Party in the well. See now that we're headed in a bad direction, because that makes it seem like it's we're in a fun time.
Speaker 2: It's pretty okay. We could play Born in the USA, which.
Speaker 3: Is right one the more subtle.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, a subversive critique of.
Speaker 3: The country, so entirely Springsteen.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, Springsteen has really been talking about He goes for it.
Speaker 2: He's talking about how Trump is bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there we go, Bruce, Bruce. Maybe invite Bruce for some sort of guest speaker.
Speaker 2: What about invite local union leaders.
Speaker 3: Oh that's nice to speak in costume.
Speaker 4: As Paul Revere, as Bruce Springsteen. What if you have the local pipefitters union dress up as Bruce Springsteen in the E Street Band and they guess how many jelly how how big of a handful you need of jellybeans to get to two.
Speaker 3: Fifteen Happy Birthday America. I think we I think that's perfect. Okay, all right, and then I mean, obviously start sending your resume out before this and just Jennifer, you're obviously not meant to be at that museum anymore. Anyway, you're begging podcasts for answers. She's done. Yeah, well, we answered the question perfectly.
Speaker 4: I think the one thing that yes, I do think we answer the question perfectly. I will say I want in the same way that I actually want liberals and smart people who I trust to serve in the military and to be in.
Speaker 2: The police force.
Speaker 4: I am like, I want Jennifer to stay at this colonial house. It's like making her life. But it's like I cannot have these institutions that I think are are like rampant with misinformation and power and misdirection to then only be run by people who I think a very true.
Speaker 3: She's brave for sticking around we need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jennifer, you are. You are actually doing doing the work. You're doing the work.
Speaker 3: Yes, you're doing the Paul Revere's work. Yeah, so good for her. Never leave the job, even if it's making you miserable, Jennifer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let all those Republicans go and run like I don't know, animal.
Speaker 3: Shelters or something Kennedy Center. Unfortunately, I fucking got Well, I've got my beautiful bracelets, got your bracelets, and uh, kind of a renewed hope in Craigslist. To be honest, I go home and start. I'm gonna dive again.
Speaker 2: It's it's my it's my procrastination.
Speaker 3: That's better than what I'm using my phone for.
Speaker 2: What are you using your phone for?
Speaker 3: Garbage? Social media?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so if I could get into Craigslist.
Speaker 2: I could.
Speaker 4: It is my Craigslist is my This is acceptable, This is inacceptable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fantastic, so much more interesting.
Speaker 4: Figure out what you want, make a list of what you want and search for that. You can save searchers and Craigslist you can log in. They have an internal chat feature. You can chat with other people on Craigslist on their app.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Well, I've had a lovely time with you.
Speaker 2: I've had a thrilling time.
Speaker 3: Thank you for being here. Listener. The podcast is over. I expect you to leave. Goodbye. I love you, I said.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Gifts is an exactly right production. Our senior producer is Ellis Nelson, and our episodes are beautifully mixed by Ben Holliday. The theme song is by Miracle Worker Amy Mann and we couldn't do it without our booker, Patrick Cottner. You must follow the show on Instagram. At I said, no gifts, That's where you're going to see pictures of all these wonderful gifts I'm getting. And don't you want to see the gifts?
Speaker 2: I invit? Did you hear?
Speaker 1: Thot a man myself perfectly clear? When you're a guest to me, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no guests, your presences presents, and.
Speaker 2: I'm already stop. So how do you dare to surbey me