Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know, are you a Charlotte. We are back for the second time with Mario Cantone, which is so fantastic because this is your first episode on the air.
Speaker 1: It is it is? I always thought it was episode twelve, but it's not. It's episode eleven.
Speaker 2: I know, and it's called Running with Scissors. But I think the reason you might have thought it was twelve was because we shot two at once, as we always did, right, because in my mind I remember the other Vera Wang where the girls are there, like there's two Vera Wang visits, but we shot them in one day.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right. And I remember I came in at three in the afternoon. Wow, And I was in.
Speaker 3: An off Broadway show at the time.
Speaker 1: Got it. Yeah, it was called The Crumple Zone and it was ran for like six months of us. It did really well, got great reviews. And I remember that particular night was one of our tech nights.
Speaker 4: Oh no, and they work to let me out.
Speaker 1: And I was like, you can get someone else to stand here while you, like for an evening because I'm going definitely, And I went for sure.
Speaker 2: So wait if you came in at three in the afternoon.
Speaker 1: Maybe we don't you remember we filmed till four and the fortnight.
Speaker 2: I do remember that it was stressful and long, and I remember that our our executive from HBO came and sat across from us and glared at us. I mean, not that it was our fault, but like, just let it be known that we were over budget. Uh huh. Yeah, it was one of those days. There's only a few Michael Hill. Michael Hill came and I remember that because I was like, oh, he never comes. Oh no, but I think it was expensive to shoot him.
Speaker 1: Vera Wang probably wasn't. It was so small, remember how small it was tiny?
Speaker 2: It was hard to film there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also that evening was my husband's opening night of an off Broadway show. He was in, Wow, It's called Bubbly Black Girl sheds her Familion skin, and I did. I couldn't go. Yeah no, but I remember, uh yeah, we we we you we talked about this last time and you didn't remember it. I'm sure you remember it now because I told you last time. But there was a second scene.
Speaker 2: Oh I still I still only have the vaguus memory. What was it?
Speaker 1: It was?
Speaker 3: It was us, you know where we were sitting and looking at the dresses.
Speaker 1: There was a little room.
Speaker 3: In the in the back of that with the door.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, we were in the dressing room and I was fitting you and trying to cut something with the scissors, and I ended up ripping the.
Speaker 2: Dress, which is really interesting because it's running with scissors is the title of this episode.
Speaker 1: And we just glad you glared at me and I was just like, oh and that was the end of that scene. And that was the end of that Oh wow. I don't know if that had stayed in If we had, we would have come back and become friends.
Speaker 2: I mean, I assume that they loved you so much that they didn't want there to be a negative thing. But maybe also feel this episode has so much plot in it for everyone else, like really, it's.
Speaker 1: A lot in the thing, and oh yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 2: It's so much that I feel, you know, there were times, I mean, this has always been true for us. We over overshoot, right, we always have too much, and then we have taken shoot always.
Speaker 1: Oh look, don't get me started on just like that. There were two scenes of ours two this last season that we're cut no way. Oh yes, remember the remember the one in the in the the bakery, and it was after the puppet thing, and I said to you, I need to I need to talk about the puppet more. And I was like, I was this old guy glaring at him and you were like well and I was like, don't look at me like that A great scene and it got cut. Oh and then there was a scene with the red rooster between me and you before I apologized to carry Oh, yeah, was cut, which I was furious about.
Speaker 3: The bridge to me apologizing.
Speaker 2: Right right right, I remember that. I remember that. But we always overfilm. We always overfilm. And one time I said to Michael Patrick, I said, couldn't we cut from the read through so that we don't because we're always just really basically killing ourselves to get everything filmed. Yeah, and also we spend a lot of money getting everything filmed. And he said no, because I don't know in the edit what's going to work.
Speaker 1: He doesn't, Yeah, he doesn't know.
Speaker 2: But let me just say this about you. When I watched this first episode, because obviously I hadn't watched this episode in you know, thirty years or whatever it is, twenty five years, you are just a breath of fresh air. Like your energy. You're just like a blast of energy. It's so refreshing and exciting, like you're a note that we didn't have in the ensemble. Yeah, do you feel that when you watch it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When I watch it, I was like, wow, this, I mean, it was just it's funny, it's good. I just it works, and I don't know, I I feel that I was. I'm happy with.
Speaker 2: It when I walked definitely, right, I mean you're so young also, like it's so funny to look at you and me obviously do but I mean were little children. I don't think I felt like a little child back then.
Speaker 1: You mean you didn't, right, neither did I. We felt like we were you know, I mean.
Speaker 2: Adult, we were. You know, but.
Speaker 1: That was two thousand. That was we filmed that ninety nine.
Speaker 2: No, I think we filmed it in two thousand because it's it near to August twentieth, so we would have filmed it earlier in the summer.
Speaker 4: You know. It brings up I was I was forty years old.
Speaker 2: No, you look like you're twenty or twenty five.
Speaker 1: My god, it just turned sixty six last week.
Speaker 2: Congradually, she said, like God, it was your birthday.
Speaker 1: Sixty six, one more six and I'm the Sign of the Devil. That's right.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the thing I was thinking to when I'm watching, because I remember that you used to always feel, you know, you have like a nervousness about your work, which is always kind of adorable. That still still remains, really, but I remember this particular time because it was the beginning. I mean, but you're you're so great.
Speaker 1: Well, you know this is that you know, you're sitting there and you're doing it for the crew, and the crew is like hysterically laughing, and then the cameras go on and they can't laugh. So in your psychological, crazy comedic mind, my paranoid comedic mind, I'm like, well I'm sucking now, Well I'm not funny. I left. I would leave I remember. I think it was season four episode I think it was one or two where we're walking and the sailors. It's fleet week, you know. I remember walking away from that scene and calling Michael, going, I didn't I didn't. You didn't get it right? So would I leave you? He was like, would I let you off the set if I didn't get it? He would not, And then you watch it and I'm like, Okay, he got it.
Speaker 2: Definitely, definitely, I do think too. There's a couple of things I thought about. One was just like your energy is so pure and great and different. And then the other thing I realized is that you you didn't do that many episodes of the first series, and I was wondering for you, like did they so you did twelve total? I'm reading my total, which is crazy. I would have thought it was so much more than that.
Speaker 1: A lot of people think that, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what how did they handle it? Like what was your thinking? Did you think you were coming back? Did you know you were coming back? How did it go? I?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I've known Michael Patrick King since I was in my twenties doing stand up.
Speaker 4: That's how I came.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he wrote me this.
Speaker 3: I did go in as a formality to read.
Speaker 1: And there was also that question of whether I was going to be able to get out of that tech, which I was like, I'm going, I'm doing this so but I remember after it aired, I ran into him and John Melphie in a restaurant and he said, do you know how many do you know? The reaction we got from you and how many you know, calls or letters or whatever it was back then. And I said, I don't know, but am I coming back? That you absolutely are? I said, okay, but it was this is what it was. It was one episode, season three, two episodes Season four, Wow three episode season five, six episode season six, and then then the and then both movies, which kind of you know, cemented it. But I was, you know, I was always on call, and I was always so afraid that you know, of scheduling because they called you last minute and if you you know, weren't available, you know, this was not a good thing. So I was horrified. You know.
Speaker 2: Oh no, so you never really knew.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't know when I knew I was coming back, right, you know when? But it just the episodes grew as the years went on, and I also, yeah, you just and there were there were, you know, some Broadway shows at the time that I that I did turn down, not because of this but because no, believe me, it worked out well, not because of this, but because of negotiating and whatever. You know, Sometimes they want you for a year and you're like, can I do six months? Which I think is reasonable, and like, no, I'm like, okay, goodbye so, and at that time they did. Even now, if you're a middling name and you're not a name, they don't let you out.
Speaker 3: Broadway producers don't let you out.
Speaker 1: And my experience to go do an episode of the show, so you know that could have messed me up, you know, totally with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, Well I appreciate that you were thinking of us.
Speaker 1: Oh I just love it.
Speaker 2: Yes, we need you so much.
Speaker 1: Miss it very much.
Speaker 2: I miss it too.
Speaker 1: I'm very sad about it, no, honestly, Like I mean, people like, how are you like, I'm sad.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I just wanted one more season.
Speaker 2: I agree, I absolutely wanted one more season two.
Speaker 1: I don't care. I love them all, but I don't care what anybody says this. That was not a series finale. It was a season finale, but that wasn't a series finale.
Speaker 2: Well, agree with you, baby, I agree with you. I haven't watched it because I'm in denial and I would like to remain that way. But I know what was on the page, and I know that when we the girls and I got together for dinner and we were like, wait, what did we do and what did we do and we couldn't really remember, which is not a good sign, you know what I'm saying. So in my just so you know, I this is not based on anything real. In my mind, we're going to do something else. I don't think it'll be a whole season, but I think we will do something else. But obviously no one knows who owns us right now, you know, So there's that that's got to be worked out. And I don't think Michael Michael. I saw Michael, and he I've seen it a couple of times, so he didn't. He doesn't say that. But I'm just in my in my hopeful way, you know, going with that.
Speaker 1: I like that too.
Speaker 2: I like that too. I like that too. I mean, I feel like we've been going for so long, you know, why why finish? I know, right, I.
Speaker 1: Know we're an expensive show, but we're worth it.
Speaker 2: I think we're worth it too, darn it.
Speaker 1: It's we're worth it. And it's a it's a it's beautifully shot, it's it's a movie. I mean, it's like there's no c G I or like that.
Speaker 4: It's just all New York.
Speaker 2: Is That's right, babe? That is right?
Speaker 1: Studio sets or the beautiful locations of New York City and that's and that's you know, so that's that's thrilling. And then you've got these wonderful actresses and actors.
Speaker 5: And yeah, I agree, I agree, I agree.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about this episode. So I am so totally every time I'm watching these episodes from this section of season three, I knew in my mind that, like, I love season three so much, it's my favorite season whatever, but like, and I love the whole big Carrie you know thing, But there's so much I don't remember. It's like I'm watching it for the first time.
Speaker 3: It's a very strong season.
Speaker 1: It's it's you know, not because it's when I came in, but it's actually when I started watching it too that I had to go back and then and then that season is when it really kind of oh yeah.
Speaker 2: And I don't remember anything, Like I don't remember that Carrie and Bigger going to some CD hotel. Oh my gosh, I remember that I run into the I don't remember any of this. I don't know where the heck of my mind was. Oh it is so sad, I do, like, what are you doing in this neighborhood?
Speaker 1: I know?
Speaker 2: I know, and I mean it's also funny because is there any part of town that they wouldn't be in? Not really, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But your reaction to it's your disappointment, really, Oh, your disappointment in her. Okay, if you feel the way you're saying is you're trying to be as polite as possible, but you're letting her know that you're not happy about this. You're disappointed in your because your moral character. Charlotte is like, like you said, what if you know, what if that happened to me?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm glad you feel that way, because I don't love my work in this episode. I really don't.
Speaker 1: You're nuts. You.
Speaker 2: I like me when I'm with you, right, I know it's true, it's true, But I mean a lot of the times when I do look back, I'm like thrilled. Right, but there's some hard things they have me do, like that scene. Because Okay, So just to make sure we're including our listeners. So this is the episode where Carrie has slowly been telling the friends right like she first told Samantha, because she knows Samantha is not going to judge that she's having a fair with mea exactly. Then she in this episode she tells Miranda, and that's a great scene. We'll get to that in a second. But then the way that Charlotte finds out because she doesn't want to tell me, because she goes, oh, I want to don't want to tell miss bride because I'm getting married in like three weeks. I think, I say, right, so, and she's right about that, right because I'm in a whole you know, basically just tizzy about you know, getting married and being bride blah blah blah blah blah. And so she does tell me, and we have a very interesting scene where I Am just thinking to myself, what is happening here and what did they say to me? Because it's I am it's interesting. I'm not mad mad like when we go to and just like that, and Miranda has the affair with Shay that Charlotte mad right like Michael Patrick told me to shout at her, which I did, but I was scared to do it, but I did it. But this scene, I'm like disappointed with Carrie and I say things like you're not even thinking about her, which is I think one hundred percent true, you know, meaning the wife Natasha. But I also feel like I don't feel I don't know if I'm being nice to my friend Carrie in that scene. Do you think I am?
Speaker 1: No? I no, I just I don't think it's even about being nice. You know, it's not going to end your friendship. It's too deep.
Speaker 3: It's just you're letting her know that I'm disappointed in you.
Speaker 1: Ye, this is and even and even I know you're getting married in it, but even even you're even sh Arlotte, I think would be disappointed anyway because she's seeing a married man. And it's also about protecting Carrie, to protecting her heart. You know, that could happen any minute with this man that's married. So it makes.
Speaker 2: It's a big mess. It's a big mess for sure. And I mean definitely like when when you know, the whole time, when we find out that he's engaged, and you know, I read it in the paper and I don't want her to know. And yes, I definitely seem like I want to protect her. But I mean when I watched that scene, it's like, ooh, it makes me I feel uncomfortable watching the scene between me and Carrie.
Speaker 1: You know, you know, look, here's the thing whether people fans as the character Charlotte, whether they think you're too judgmenttro, they hate you for it, or they're on your side. It's going to be all different kinds of opinions about it. That's the way it is, and that's what makes it cool.
Speaker 2: No, that's true totally. And I also feel when I'm watching it that I that's when I'm reminded that Charlotte is an important point of view because it is different. Everyone has a different point of view, which is lane Yeah, which is really good, but I'm never sure if I really I feel like Also, this was the time when they used to tell me that Charlott wouldn't get mad right like, which is also kind of weird.
Speaker 1: Mad everyone does, and right people, you have to, as Betty Davis said, you have to dare to be hated.
Speaker 3: And that's what it's all about.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, I had so many especially gay women not so much, but gay men would come up to me and say, you know, you play it definitely much more blunt. You know. When I was with you, there was that scene I was watching and someone just posted when we were eating a cafeteria and we run into it's another seat. There's not this episode, but we run into Stanny and Uh and his friend Marcus and I tell you the t's of Hooker and that and and then I'm telling him, like, you know, He's like, I, I didn't go to the problem. I was like, cause you were gay and I'm brutal to But it's hilarious at the same time. But it's interesting how different people view it. Like women thought it was funny, and.
Speaker 3: Charlie and Blunt and Game were like, you're an asult.
Speaker 1: It was yeah, interesting, you gotta just but me and then look and then in the in just like that, we all for the for the good or the bad. We all evolved, we all became grown ups and either our anxieties grew or we kind of were more relaxed, or we were more you know. I feel like Anthony wasn't as He's still blunt, but he wasn't as rude. He definitely evolved more.
Speaker 2: I think you're right. I had not thought about that.
Speaker 1: No. I remember her saying, Michael, when I with the bakery, I'm like, so, I'm not going to be messing around with these guys at the bakery. Because he was such a promistuous character and he was like, no, no, no, you don't. You don't ship where you eat right, and you've evolved, and I just thought.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, yeah, definitely, definitely you grew up.
Speaker 1: And definitely you became a married woman with a solid marriage and kids and chaos. Definitely you dealt with that brilliantly.
Speaker 3: I told you that how you made me laugh out.
Speaker 2: Loud a lot?
Speaker 1: Really the premiere the second the second season with you, the downsized.
Speaker 2: Premiere, Oh yeah, yeah yeah, the Writer's Strike premiere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the writers yep, yep. I uh uh. I remember saying to you, you're.
Speaker 2: So thank you, babe, and.
Speaker 1: You've had beautiful things to say about me. You said it to me first, but I was didn't say to you because you said it to me.
Speaker 2: I was like, you're so funny, but you're so hard on yourself and you're you're it cracks me up. But you did obviously have a lot of challenges. I the thing that I thought about when I was watching this episode, there's a scene where I'm the coffee shop scene. I've got this stack of magazines, the Bridal magazines, and you say it exactly. That scene almost killed me. With the props we've all been there we've all been there in the prop scenes. Okay, you know it's hard. And this was Dennis Erdmand directing. Do you remember Dennis. Yes, and I've forgotten that. This is when Dennis shows up to direct.
Speaker 1: Yeah he was, he was. He was Darren's partner, Yes he was.
Speaker 2: And I thought it was good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was great. He was lovely to work with. I had a great time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a sweet guy.
Speaker 1: It was just a late night, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh, every night was a late night.
Speaker 1: And I don't think the other thing about that second scene that got cut. I was told that that, you know, it was so late and they didn't get enough coverage and oh, which was another reason why they cut it. So it just when you get out to four four a m. You can get wonky, as you know.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Yes, I mean how we functioned at all is amazing, you know what I'm saying, Like, I remember the exhaustion. I think that's why I don't remember everything now, because I'm just like so past tired, you know. But but you know, all good, oh good, Okay, wait, let's go, let's go in order. So Carrie's storyline super fascinating. Didn't remember this at all. And I think it really really seems to like the vibe of having an affair, which I think is great that they brought it because previously, like when they were in the Stanhope, like it's kind of gorgeous, right, like Charles McDougal film that and is so cinematic and beautiful, and now we see like the gritty reality of having to hide and like they're cranky with each other. He's like, I've got to be at work in forty minutes.
Speaker 3: Forty minutes and it's just like, okay, this is that just hitting it.
Speaker 4: And then I know.
Speaker 1: It's it's very ick.
Speaker 2: No wonder if she feels so terrible.
Speaker 1: Oh, and there she goes. You know, it's like I said, you know, dare to be hated. That's that's judged.
Speaker 2: Too absolutely, And I mean she's so brave, like she just does it. She does, but also she brings such truth like it's so real, you.
Speaker 1: Know, it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Sarahja's magnificence beyond beyond beyond and so gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Oh, she looks forwarteous and such good performance. And Chris is wonderful and.
Speaker 2: It's so good. He's so good. But also I did hate him, you know, of course.
Speaker 3: Of course, because you know he was messing with your best friend.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also when he's like, oh, I'm going to tell her, and she said, but are you really? I mean, it's a very interesting dynamic of like on the one hand she kind of seems like she wants him to and on the other hand she doesn't. And then the thing that I didn't remember at all, And people do bring this up to me, and I'm always like, I don't know what strang about when and I'm jumping to the end, but we're going to talk about Natasha. But before we do, when at the very end, she says, we're so over that we need another name for over. Yeah, another word for over. It's such a great line. And people talk to me about that, and I'm like, I don't know when that happens, but okay, it happens here and rightly so, because ick a million times ick on this situation.
Speaker 4: It's boy, And.
Speaker 1: I mean, was he are they gonna call her?
Speaker 2: I don't think he was. I think he's like daring her, like they have such a weird like like I dare you type you know thing. But then she doesn't really want him to and she says, I need more time. It's so interestingly written. I mean, what a fantastic Michael Patrick wrote this one. And it's just incredible. It's so so, so so incredibly good. Okay, so let's talk about Carrie from the beginning. So she's having the affair. It's elegant to really really bad hotels. They're they're complaining, and then oh, he seems jealous and he says to her something like, you know, are you you know, saving it for the boyfriend or whatever, and she's like, don't talk to me like that. I'm like, oh god, I'm so scared. I'm so scared.
Speaker 1: It's dick.
Speaker 2: It's so dick. But it's also so real, you know. I feel like they're like peeling layers of each other off, do you know what I mean, to the reality of who they are.
Speaker 1: As the room gets gets dirtier and slimier and and less glamorous, so does the affair.
Speaker 2: Definitely. And I think that's so beautifully done and so accurate because affairs are horrible.
Speaker 3: And then that the Natasha stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's not get there yet. Let's talk about when she tells Miranda, because I love the scene. Oh yeah, so much. I look forward now that I'm rewatching as a fan more so, right I'm I'm I always look forward to a Carrie Miranda scene because they're super amazing and you never quite know who's going to be what way. You know, you know that Miranda is going to tell it like it is right, but like when she says I have to tell you something, Miranda's like, well now I'm scared. Like it's so they're so great together. They're so great together and just the different vibe. And I like how Miranda handles finding out because she is equally telling it like it is, like you know, this is a horrible mistake. But also she's worried for Carrie, you know, and she's not judgmental. I mean, she's definitely telling her don't do it, but she's not like you're a bad person, you know what.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, Probably because Carrie says to her, you're gonna hate me for this, and she kind of does a disclaimer before because she knows what she's like and how she's gonna feel. Right doesn't come at her. I think because there was a buffer there. Definitely knows that she doesn't want the whole truth from her, so she says it, but I think she leaves stuff out that she's feeling and thinking.
Speaker 2: I think for sure, I think for sure. But I think it's nice how she handles it, you know what I'm saying, Like, because Carrie's obviously troubled. It's not like Carrie's like, I'm having an affair and it's great. She's saying, I know, it's terrible. What do I do? I don't know? And she says, you stop right, which obviously Carrie doesn't do. But then they cut to Carrie and aiden, this killed me. I don't remember any of this, and he's kissing her and like going like m mmmm, and she just wants to jump out of her skin. Oh I just felt that, like to my core. It's awful. Like I can't even believe that she just doesn't just fully bail, but you know, she kind of does in a certain way. But like to your person who's you know, supposedly a person who doesn't know that you're doing this other thing that you don't like the sound he's making while he's kissing you. I don't think I would do that.
Speaker 1: No, No, I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's it's tough like the fact that he, you know, tries his best to be like, oh, okay, I won't make that sound. I'm like, Aiden, what a sweetheart. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: She know she's she's not nice to the one that's very caring to her, and she's nice the one that's a son of a bitch.
Speaker 3: I know, because she's an adult.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I know it's kind of but it's also just she's so relatable, but also I feel for her because she's so stuck. Like, on the one hand, she feels horrible and they're like cranky with each other over at the affair, and then she doesn't like the sound Aidan's making and she tells him and then he's like, oh, it's just so everything, so uncomfortable for her, and she does it so brilliantly, so brilliantly, but it really made me uncomfortable watching it even right Like, I was just like, I just want to jump out of my own skin.
Speaker 1: It's really uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, see, that's why I'm not in a relationship. It was one of those moments I want to get one of these jams. I want to get one of these jams because you're trying to take care of yourself, but then you're also trying to take care of the other people. But then you're also just like everything's bad. You know, everything's bad. Oh God, it stressed me out a lot watching it, but it was just so good though, And I also feel like, what other television show can you think of? I mean, I'm sure there's got to be some somewhere, but like, it's so rare to be able to see this done in a not soap opera e way, do you know what I mean, like the reality of the feelings.
Speaker 1: No, the last thing it was was soap opera. No, it's so good.
Speaker 2: It's amazing to me. I mean I kind of knew, but like rewatching, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, wow, that's why it holds up. It's you know, And each scene with Aidan throughout that episode got more and more uncomfortable, like he's gonna go.
Speaker 2: And he's gotta go, He's gotta.
Speaker 1: Go because it's true.
Speaker 2: It's awful, you know, stifled and can't be shut down. Isn't it the worst? Oh it's the worst. I know. I really fell for Aiden, I really really felt for Aiden this whole time. I didn't feel for Big though, but that's okay, well, oh wait, what about the time when she's in the really CD hotel room lobby and the guy thinks she's a hooker. Oh my god. This is the second time in the show that someone has thought Carry is a hooker, you guys, what on earth in the first season. He's furious about it, I know, and rightly, so rightly, so, oh my god. And that's when they come out and I run into them, and they're of course very very chagrined, and I'm kind of polite ish, but it's awkward. Then you see me packing, which I didn't remember this at all either. I'm packing to move to trays when when Carrie and I have the scene, I'm packing up and she's just standing there and she's kind of theoretically helping me, but she's mostly just standing there. But that's why I get to war jeans and T shirt. Because Pat Field really never wanted me to wear jeans and T shirt. I'm wearing jeans and T shirt and like my own Adidas or doctor Shoul's flip flops, I don't know which one it is.
Speaker 1: I couldn't see, but look look great.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, thank you so much. I remember not feeling great whenever I did get to ward jeans because she believed that I should really never wear jeans, but I did. I did look back and think like I am so dumb that I didn't feel great, like stupid.
Speaker 4: Woman because we don't know what you look like.
Speaker 2: That's why I don't. I don't and I certainly didn't then at all. No, I didn't.
Speaker 3: And so when you yeah, and I think you needed to be.
Speaker 1: Also because the show is so much about fashion, it's like, well, why aren't I in something?
Speaker 2: No, No, I wanted to be in Gene. I mean I was exhausted by those clothes, you know what I'm saying, Like it was so much and you know how I dressed in life, right like I you know, I try to look nice for the podcast, but you know I would love to be in like my same sweater and my same jeans every single day. It would be great. I don't think I want to be on that in a TV show, right, But like the height of all of it was like a lot, you know obviously, I mean now I love it more, but back then I just remember, like, oh, thank god I can wear jeans.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, ask ask Danny and Molly.
Speaker 1: I hate fittings, up it out, hate them, hate them. Just just I do it as fast as I can. I mean, I tell them what I like and what I don't like. But I'm not crazy picky about my clothes.
Speaker 2: Which is great and that's refreshing for them.
Speaker 1: No, I'm oh, yeah, you give me something that works, and like, you know, also, I was like, I would like By the second season, I was like, just give me stuff that I'm gonna like to wear, but I'm not gonna want to take home.
Speaker 4: Oh so but then I calm stuff.
Speaker 2: Any No, I was like, why wouldn't you want to have stuff you want to take?
Speaker 3: I did well the first season. I did, and and I took.
Speaker 1: I took what I wanted. But you know, Michael liked being black a lot. And there was one time and just like that. I think it was the party you had that I had like a light pink jacket on with flowers, oh never, and I loved it and I was like, I took that. Oh that was good beautiful. Yeah. So yeah, but it was a lot of blues and blacks, which I wear in life.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I also think like they have their color palette for each you know, character, and they have to have us be you know, somewhat in sync when we're together, right, So, like everyone can't be wearing black all the time unless it's a black occasion.
Speaker 1: And Michael was very picky about what Anthony wore. He was way more than I was.
Speaker 2: Wow, Molly told me, okay, wow, wow, wow. I love to hear that. That's interesting. Okay, Now we get to the part where Tatasha. So basically they're in the CD hotels and apparently there's some scene that we don't see where Carrie's like, I don't want to be in the city hotel. Let's let's well, we have to be at someone's.
Speaker 1: House, right, let's do it right?
Speaker 4: Might betten right right?
Speaker 2: They might have had a scene that got cut. Who knows. But they're at his beige house because everything's beige now, and they're in the by beige bed. She's in the beage bed. He's got to go to work. He goes to work and she's in this kind of like pink rummaging through the fridge and she hears Natasha come home from the Hampton's early.
Speaker 1: And oh, yeah, she came home early from the Hamptons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he thinks she's in the Hamptons and she's going to stay there because he says he's going to call her on Monday, which I thought was also such an odd comment from him. This is when he says I'm going to call her on Monday, and she goes, you know, this is when she says, no, she needs more time or whatever. Right, And then Natasha comes in and she tries to get out the back service entrance, which is how apartments are, and if we had we're on the air now everyone be complaining about the back door, but that is actually how apartments are in big, big old buildings in.
Speaker 1: New York South.
Speaker 4: This kitchen entrances exactly.
Speaker 2: It's the service entrance, that's what they would call it. And it would go to an elevator that's in the back where you could bring furniture up or whatever different you know, things like workmen would come up in the back elevator. There's rules in these kinds of building deliveries exactly exactly. So Carrie is trying to get out the back, but the chain lock is on and she can't get out. So then she gets out and she's running down the stairs and Natasha and her beautiful white outfit, which is I think all she wears is running down after her and falls on face.
Speaker 1: It before she goes to the door.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she says, Carrie, Carrie, I knew you were having an affair, but not in my house. Oh my god, so upsetting, so upsetting on her face, on that beautiful face, like yes, thank God.
Speaker 1: She lifts her head and there's so much.
Speaker 3: Fuss, and they put she puts her in a cab.
Speaker 2: She puts her in a cab, and then someone told me, I believe because we talked to Bridget earlier and Bridget couldn't remember if she had ad libbed she Carrie puts her in a cab and is trying to tell the cab to go to the nearest hospital, and Bridget is trying to lock Natasha is trying to lock the door. So Carrie gank it in. And someone told me that they listened to Michael Patrick's DVD, you know, narrative of it, and that Bridget had ad libed that, which is super brilliant, super brilliant. But the windows rolled down, so she's like frantically trying to it's a funny kind of thing, and so Carrie just gets in the front, which is very cool. I love this whole sequence. And then it's so good when they cut to the hospital and you see Big coming in but he obviously doesn't know Carrie's there, and the look on his face when he sees Carrie there because probably Natasha killed him, or the doctors called him or someone called him, right, he doesn't realize Carrie's there and he sees her. It's such a good moment. He stops, he sees Carrie, the look on her face.
Speaker 1: It's just like, well, she's done, then.
Speaker 2: Done, and like so oh sad and upset of how it's actually gone down. And I love how in the beginning of the episode, before this happens, there's a lot of talk about, like with Miranda, and I think with me also, I mean, because Carrie's like, couldn't we just get out of it with no one getting hurt? No one for the wiser. She says this to Miranda, and I'm like, no, no, you can't get out of it with no one getting hurt, and Miranda's basically know you. And then who gets actually physically hurt, Natasha. It's so perfect. Yeah, it's so good, so so good, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: But she gets her there, she gets her that she makes God, yes, she had to go with her.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely. Oh, we would have been very very angry with Carrie.
Speaker 1: If she had not been with her and be like, why no, she.
Speaker 2: Would never do that. She would never do that because she's not a bad person. That's what's so great about it.
Speaker 1: Well, she runs right up to her on the stairs. I mean, she's very caring. She didn't keep running no, you know, since he's very caring and she really, boy, that's brutal. And then and then it's over.
Speaker 2: I know. And then it's so over that we need a new word for over. And that's so good. It's such a good line. It's such a good line, and she delivers it so beautifully, and her face is just like like she's just empty of feeling, you know, like it's been too much. It's so so incredibly good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great episode. It's a rare I didn't realize.
Speaker 2: And then she goes home and Aiden's there, Oh god, and he looks so adorable and he says, where were you all day? And she says she was at a museum I know, And he says, how was it? She said, good, it's kind of funny. And then she goes in her bathroom but she shuts all the doors. She says she has to wash her face, and she shuts all the door so she can like have a moment to recover. But I did feel, I did feel because Aiden is like, you know, he's he's fine. Like the fact that Aiden could have been kind of, you know, somehow able to emotionally regulate himself after she's been so weak to him and messed up is kind of impressive.
Speaker 1: I think, yes, yeah, oh yeah, well he he he was kind of very forgiving, very forgiving, and and I'm sure she was very relieved he was there even though it was, you know, a tough day.
Speaker 4: But for sure it is so how are you sharing?
Speaker 1: Is that for Carrie too?
Speaker 2: I agree? I agree, But then I believe it's the next episode that I get married and they break up, so it's a little window. But I also totally understand why she feels so horrible that he doesn't know. I get it. I get it. I mean, it's a really tough it's a really tough thing. Like I don't know, like if you just cheated, like like like a weird moment of cheating that would be one thing, but this is a whole emotional like this is her ex with unfinished business, it's so much more. I totally get why she feels like she has to tell him in the next episode, do you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh yeah yeah, because this this just layers of guilt.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah. And you can't move forward feeling like they don't know who you are, that you're you know that you did this, and that you're.
Speaker 1: That's the next episode.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I know it.
Speaker 1: I know these two men just.
Speaker 3: Continued in her life.
Speaker 1: Through all of it.
Speaker 4: Though I know, I know, I know they're both iterations.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating to me. I love it, and and the fans love it too. You know, they they're all they're either team Big or team teammate, but they it's which is why I think it was so split, and they just they kept them both in because they were both so those relationships were both so popular with the audience.
Speaker 2: Also, I just think they are so interestingly different, and it's a different part of her that gets involved, like that comes out with each one. But it's side note, and this also is not based on anything that anyone said to me. It's my own feeling. I do feel like that's part of the reason that we ended in just like that is because we really really ended Aiden. Sorry for anyone that I'm giving anything away, but like once Aiden was really done, I feel like creatively there was like a emptiness that Michael and Sarah Jessica didn't have an immediate answer for do you know what I'm saying, And I don't know. They need to have that like creative motor driving them of like we're going here, you know what I'm saying, And they didn't have that, And I think that they need that. That's how they operate. But the two of them together like as a good partnership, you know, a good creative partnership. Anyway, side note, of course, so here we are, let's go back. I want to know what you think of Samantha's storyline getting the HIV test. What did you think of this?
Speaker 1: Well, the fact that she thought she was being taken into that little room and the way she fainted was so brilliant. I didn't remember any of this magnificent episode. Also because it's such a thing that I have sex and I'm fine, I'm I'm clean, I'm I'm I'm not diseased. You know that whole thing. And then she's confronted by a guy who has as much sex as she does, and he's like, I'm not going to do this if you don't get tested, and then so she wants him so badly that it makes her go get tested. And it's horrifying. And I mean, look, as a gay man coming up in the UH in the eighties and nineties, you know, they're those tests were horrifying, horrifying, scary think about it, you know, yeah, and being taken into that little room or whatever. But the way she fell, it's the fainting that I was like, wow, and me too, you you she just thought she was going to get.
Speaker 2: The death sentence, so scary, so so scary, and she faints very beautifully. It's all. I like the shot a lot, like it's the angel and the way she falls.
Speaker 1: All those things in all those yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she hits the medical cards, so all the tools fall. It's really good. It's really really good. I don't think I ever went to one of those centers to get tested, so I never didn't. Never I think I got tested it like doctor, doctor, Yeah, did you go to one of those places?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I had, Yeah, yeah, I mean, it's kind of intense to go to one of those places.
Speaker 4: I think, you know, no exactly, this is you know, you're lucky.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a privilege to be able to have they can a privilege to be able to have a doctor. Yeah, you know, I've been going through the years, and I was very comforting and you know, you're gonna be fine, and you know, and that's he was right, you know, that's the way it went.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but those like those clinics are your number at those clinics. Although the nurse that she was dealing with was very kind and very comforting.
Speaker 2: I know she was kind of comforting, but apparently she was trying to take her in the back room so he could she could lecture her about her sex life, which is not good, not good because she also scared the Jesus out of her and made poor Samantha faint. But this is what I love so much.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: The guy that she's with is played by Sam Robarts, who I feel like, did anyone look up if he's related to Jason Robarts. Yes, he's Jason Robarts's son, Jason rot Yes, remember Jason Robart's incredible, incredible actor. And I remember I think they wanted something like someone really amazing to play kind of the male version of Samantha that she would of course really want and vibe with. But also I love how he is with her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, he's you know, he's very sexual, but he won't do it.
Speaker 2: Like he has such a great like he's so open, but also in the way that Samantha is, right, because Amantha is so open about her sexuality and unapologetic, but also he's got such clear boundaries, right, but he also has this swing like he's interesting and fun, but also like, no, no, you have to have an AIDS test. What do you mean you have an ad AIDS test. I like the whole thing so much, me too.
Speaker 1: And they were meeting, you know, they were meeting the male and female, the male and female equivalent of each other sexually.
Speaker 2: I know. I wish he could have stayed. Wouldn't that have been interesting? Like what would have happened?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know either. Well, they both would have cheated on each other eventually.
Speaker 2: That's probably true, but at least it would have been mutual, right, so maybe whatever. I don't know, but I really loved him and I do. I just vaguely remember that, you know, because she has so many incredibly beautiful guys right and always really good as well. But I do remember that they really wanted him to be special, and I did think that Sam Robards did a fantastic job, and I wish we had had had more of him in the show. But I do love that we did this whole episode. I'd kind of forgotten about it, but I do think it's so important to show like kind of the reality of you know, her, the way that her lifestyle. You know what I'm saying that, like you do need to actually take responsible for yourself within that lifestyle. You don't need to apologize for the lifestyle, which you need to take responsibility.
Speaker 1: And this scen where you're all, you know, saying that you whether you've been tested or not in lifetime for HIV, and and you don't you you're like you don't even say anything because you're like too busy with the magazines and.
Speaker 2: You want, well, I'm in bride world and I don't want anything to come into bride World.
Speaker 1: No, And you don't even have to ask Charlotte.
Speaker 2: That, right, I know, But in reality, Charlotte got around quite a bit and did need to have an a test, and I'm sure she did it or obg Ann or whatever, but.
Speaker 3: It's way too busy with her.
Speaker 2: Magazine exactly because at that point she's got, she's got, she's got the stack of magazines. And also Charlotte apparently has never heard of stylists, which is really funny.
Speaker 1: You know what was interested in when she's when Samantha said, I'll send you a list of styles, so I wonder if I was on that list.
Speaker 2: Of course you were. That's how we got you.
Speaker 1: With you, which I never realized that until I know I didn't.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that at all either, And I also just think it's so funn But I do think also at this point in time, it wasn't like it is now where you're always hearing about actors stylists and the stylists are big names themselves, and you know, everything's like everyone's very aware. It was not like that back then. I didn't have a stylist at this point in life.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't either, No, no, no, Because we're about to get nominated for our first Emmy. In fact, we might this might be around the time. I feel like the nominations for the Emmys come out in August, is the awards were in September. I feel like this is around the time that we got nominated for the show the first time, which was like the most thrilling thing that ever happened. Great, right, yeah, right, yes, And then we didn't win that first year. Maybe Sir Jessica won, but we didn't win till the next year, which was the semi Emmys because of nine to eleven. Right, So Kim and I were there alone, Sarah and Cynthia I think we're both doing plays, but they had pushed the Emmys, you know, because we didn't feel like it was appropriate. It's the next year. But we got nominated this year and we go when we present. And the reason that I remember all this is because I didn't have a stylist. I had a publicist, but I didn't have a stylist, and I was like, oh, so stressed about what to wear. I mean so stressed. And I went to all of these designers that my publicists would call them, I think, and I would go just me. I would just show up and they would everyone would be like, oh, you should definitely wear this one. This is amazing. You need to be sexy. So like, at one point I had this Michael Kor's dress that was very cut out and very sexy because I played the not sexy one, right, So there were certain people in the fashion world who felt like I needed to dress like aggressively sexy, right. But my publicist at the time felt like, no, no, that is not true. You are on a show called Sex and the City. You need to look like a princess, she said to me. I was like, oh, oh, I have a princess. I don't know. So then I went to a different designer. I had like a ball gown on. Right, So I had a stack of polaroids that I just went around town. I went to my manager, I was like, look at all these polaroids, tell me which one I should wear. Then I would go to my publicis, I say, look at all my polaroids and tell me what I shd wear. I'd go to my agents, please tell me what. But of course everyone had a different opinion. Right. So I had gone to Valentino in one of these fittings and had put on the gorgeous dress that I loved. That I would have been done with then everyone had different opinion and got me very very confused. So at the very last minute, my publicist said, you know, you should go to this stylist. I'm not going to say who she was, And so I go to this stylist who was very much the hot stylist at the time, and she had this apartment like condo. I went to her for the fitting and in the center of the room was up mountain of gowns on the floor and I was like, oh now. So I was standing in the corner like really just trying to contain myself because I wanted to pick them all up and hang them all up. I was so stressed. And there were all these gowns that I had seen pictures of and look books, but this stylist was parting them basically right for her clients, and I was like, uh, should I try some of them all? And then we're on the floor, like what should I do? So eventually what happened was I ended up wearing the Valentino that I had already tried on by myself. She was so ridiculous. It was a really interesting first stylistic experience because it did really teach me a lot like there's there's a lot of drama in the stylist world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, I bet this is why I like slap on a nice tuxedo. The man can do that and just go.
Speaker 2: It's true. I don't know if that's true now though, because now, oh there's a lot of commentary online. Oh my gosh, you don't want those guys to be mad at you.
Speaker 1: No, it's true, but you know what I'm it's exhausting, as you know.
Speaker 2: It is exhausting. It's true.
Speaker 1: The only warch I went to was during this was the SAG Awards. We were oh and we won one year, we.
Speaker 2: Did, we won two years because I've got two Saga Awards at my house.
Speaker 1: I think we win.
Speaker 2: Do we win ensemble?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know that, but do we win? I wonder if I was there the first time, the first the first time we won.
Speaker 2: I don't know. They all blend in my mind. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. It's really fun, so much fun to go to all those things.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: I think it's so funny that Charlotte had never heard of getting a stylist, and thank god Samantha Delsert and then I get you. Yeah, it all worked out, It all worked out.
Speaker 3: I was the foth stylist for you.
Speaker 2: I know you were great, you were perfect, and you had a big personality like like stylists do.
Speaker 1: I was also thinking, like when I was like the lace appl cave, I didn't know what that was.
Speaker 2: Oh, you pulled it off.
Speaker 1: I hadn't learned that, and and just memorize it, Like I said, I'd never I couldn't be a I couldn't pick out your shoes and your girls to come up to be like I wish you picked out my dress and you want that, you want your wedding, you know. And then when I became a baker, it's like that's what I really do in real life.
Speaker 2: Yay, yay, Yes, you evolved.
Speaker 1: That was all right.
Speaker 2: So here let's talk about Miranda and this sandwich. Oh my god, so funny and so meme ish, like how perfectly meme related storyline, like before memes were a thing, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But there's the sandwich guy and he's saying.
Speaker 4: Eat me, and I'm obsessed with him.
Speaker 1: She's pissed off at first, then she becomes like he stressed.
Speaker 3: To complain about her, and they're like, well, he's a sandwich so that's.
Speaker 2: She goes in. She's very mean too. She goes in and she's like, your sandwich is harassing women, and he's like, you're crazy woman, which is of course exact what everyone want to say to you back then. But then she fantasizes about him and wants to meet him, which is fully insane. Okay, fully bonkers.
Speaker 1: Take off your masks.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: And then he's like, this kind of this kid. He's adorable. But why she has such a negative reaction when he's this kid is interesting to me, Like what did she think he was going to be.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe of interest to her, it's cute, but she was like, oh he's a baby bye right right.
Speaker 2: But also, Miranda looks so incredible in these outfits on the street, like she's like at the height of her power. You know, yeah, oh this is good listen to. I would just want to say Carrie's, Carrie's. I love to say Carrie's, you know, when she's wondering about her things in the apartment. It's really good. Later that night, I got to thinking about safe sex. Odd, how only when our physical life is at risk do we follow certain guidelines to protect ourselves. But what about our emotional lives. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a pamphlet to warn us what unsafe behavior might be high risk to ourselves or our relationships. And even if you fake, even if you take precautions and emotionally try to protect yourself when you crawl in bed with someone. Is sex ever safe? But also I think it's so true because I don't feel like sex is ever safe personally, emotionally, emotionally. You know what I mean. I'm not good. I'm not good at covering it all up and playing the game and whatever. It's just too much.
Speaker 3: Men can separate it women. It's emotional.
Speaker 2: I know it. I know it. I know it. I think I've asked you before. It's always interesting to ask people again, though, because sometimes you change your mind. Do you feel like you're a Charlotte?
Speaker 1: I feel like no.
Speaker 3: I think you know, it's like your mother or your father.
Speaker 1: I have elements of both of them. Yeah, I feel like I feel in a way, I my mind and so Charlotte for the most part.
Speaker 2: But she No, I think that's Miranda. I would say. I would say speaking one's mind would be like a Miranda.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't you think I guess I probably am a Miranda.
Speaker 2: I kind of think you're right, because like the thing that I love though about Miranda is like, on the one hand, everyone goes like, oh, she's you know, she's kind of hard and whatever, but like she also is so squishy inside, which is so true about you.
Speaker 1: And yes, and to the people that I love, I am pointed about what I need to let them know.
Speaker 2: If yeah, but you're inside like a squishy, squishy loyal friend, you.
Speaker 1: Know, you know, then I feel bad. Yeah, I have a lot of guilt. I'm pretty, I'm pretty. I'm a softie. For the most part. I try to present as a very hard.
Speaker 2: I know you do you do, and I mean it takes some time to get to the soft but but then it's worth it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good quality. It's a good quality. And I do think like if you look at Anthony's evolution, that's what's really really fun about looking at your early episodes, I mean, just your evolution as a character, but also I know that you felt like, oh, I'm so nervous and can I get all these words right? And then the prop prop scenes are always hard, but like you're so fantastic and you're so specifically you like the character is like full fully formed, you know. I yes, he evolves over time, definitely, but like the breath of fresh air when you come, especially because I think where Charlotte was at that time, because I'm in this bride mode, I'm with Trey and Trey and I don't really talk that honestly, right, like to have you coming in there like this is.
Speaker 1: What it is exactly, I tell you like it is and it's great.
Speaker 2: It's so so great and so needed, like, thank god we kept you. Thank the Lord, Michael Patrick King.
Speaker 1: Thank you every day. Yes, give us another season and stop it.
Speaker 2: We have to let him reset. He's doing the comeback. He's going to reset, he's going to get new inspiration. I have faith, I do. I have faith.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wait to see the comeback. By the way, I.
Speaker 2: Know, I'm very excited to see the comeback.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: They were really into it. He and Lisa wrote the whole show themselves.
Speaker 1: The two of them together are magic and it's a brilliant combination. And they do both those seasons were so good and this is their final one, you know, but there was so much time in between each one.
Speaker 2: But I know, but you know the idea. I think they've announced it so I can say it. She's doing the first sitcom written by a I. Valerie Cherish on the Comeback is doing the first sitcom AI. It's so timely and great.
Speaker 1: Oh that sounds amazing. I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I know, I can't wait either. I can't wait either. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 1: I'll see you soon.