Speaker 1: This is the Meat Eater Podcast coming at you shirtless, severely, bug bitten, and in my case, underwear. Listening the podcast, you can't predict anything. The Meat Eater Podcast is brought to you by First Light. Whether you're checking trail cams, hanging deer stands, or scouting for ELK. First Light has performance apparel to support every hunter in every environment. Check it out at first light dot com. F I R S T l I t E dot com. Join today, But my favorite senior citizen by far, Will Primost, is here. Will Primost joined us back on episode five ninety three and we talked about a gun auction that was coming up later this year where Will had over the years collected a collection of.
Speaker 2: Perdy hammer guns Perdy p U r d e Y Perdy Purdy hammer gun shotguns.
Speaker 1: How many in the collection?
Speaker 2: Five?
Speaker 1: And uh they're nice guns. This is a valuable collection. And Will was telling us how he is donating these guns for a auction for a conservation fundraiser. He's just giving them up, the whole collection. And I said, man, when that happens, you should come back on the show. You can come on the show anytime you want. But I said, you should come back on the show and we'll talk about the auction and plug the auction. So we're going to get around to that and do that and talk about some more stuff you got going on. And this the organization at Steward Stuart Link. Stuart asked, Stewart Steward, not Stuart. I keep seeing it like a name, like a dude named Stuart Stuart. Picture a guy named that.
Speaker 2: The steward of the land is the person who owns it and farms it or leases it in Farman. Whoever has can control of the land is the steward got it. And so we are the link for the steward to the NRCS offices, FSA offices, carbons regruestration companies, anything that benefits the land, anything that can help you provide income to afford land or to make it better to conserve water, variable rate pesticide probs, veriable rate fertilizer programs, equipped level of land so it could be easier to irrigate it, whatever it might be. And all this got started because Nick Thomas, the founder, helped me with my farm and I couldn't get anybody to help me with anything on my farm. And then over a number of years he got probably, I mean, you know, telling hundreds of thousands of dollars. I stopped, stopped the water from going into the creek and roading and the land and filling the creek in. I planted trees along the bank, stopped all that, put land back into trees, did warm seas and grasses, restored the quail. There's just tons of things you can do. And you can get their their their excuse me, public and private people that will help. I'll help you provide that God money to do it. Yeah, my buddy Doug Durren's getting excited right now. Yeah, listening, Doug Darren needs to't know about Stuart Lake.
Speaker 1: You need to know about Doug Durran, Doug Duranty to know about Stuart l There you go. Uh, it's a huge wrong. I got to write it on my hand.
Speaker 2: You're talking about this senior citizen stuff. Yeah, I got it bad. Yeah. Yesterday I was I had to get a haircut, and I went to this place called Great Clips and that's where I go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the lady will they stick you for that haircut?
Speaker 2: Nineteen dollars? I said, how come it's so cheap? Just because you're a senior citizen.
Speaker 1: I think she was hitting on you. You look great, Phil, something's wrong. We're super loud man.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Spencer asked me to turn up the volume on those head films. I can turn years down alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Hey, you know what, close your eyes? I meant, well, Corey block his eyes now it filtered me all the way off. Now come on, man, it's a sensitive No. I want I want to test. I want filled it or what am I saying? I want will to take a I want you to smell something.
Speaker 4: There you go. You're on your own closing your eyes.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's pretty good. Hey, don't don't open I got trust you got him open. This is the most intriguing odor. Spill it. No, I'm not do anything bad. It's not a bad it's not a bad smell. Guide guide him into that quarry. Well, I'll just put it. Put your hand out, will It looks like.
Speaker 4: You're gonna want to reach out with your left Reach out with your left hand and grab this Mason jar. Oh, it's to the left of your microphone.
Speaker 1: Here, just put it up there, just feel it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there like a bad way of doing Yeah.
Speaker 1: Take a what are you getting what are you getting?
Speaker 4: Can we pass it around?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It's in the heck.
Speaker 1: This is my favorite thing I've ever made.
Speaker 5: Man, isn't that something I that's just by looking at it.
Speaker 3: So you're familiar with medicinal marijuana.
Speaker 1: You don't like the smell, Oh that's an overreaction.
Speaker 6: First, or you just related. But that's like chemical science class.
Speaker 2: Chemical geese.
Speaker 1: I sniffed in my eyes and smell. The whole room smells like.
Speaker 6: Everybody who's listening. That's like a jar of like breaking soy sauce. That's what it looks.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 5: The planet.
Speaker 1: That right there is beaver castors soaking and moonshine.
Speaker 2: Shot. I mean I used to trap, and I always said, if anybody wants to torture me, tie me up and fade me, cast all die. That's the nastiest smelling stuff.
Speaker 1: A little bit now and then is good. Yeah, a lot.
Speaker 2: So I want to say, you drink that?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think I'm gonna though. So here's what happened. There's a there's a here's why I have this. Oh it's an intriguing odor.
Speaker 5: It is really striking.
Speaker 1: There's a famous lure maker still alive. Won't come on the podcast.
Speaker 2: It is not a yeah, won't.
Speaker 1: Come on the podcast, doesn't understand what what you're even talking about when you bring it up to him. Mike Marziada is his name.
Speaker 6: You're listening.
Speaker 1: I'm about ready to pay him to come on and be like, okay, listen, okay, don't come just I have a job for you, don't I have a job, and it would be that you come be on the podcast and just don't worry about it. Is there's a day rate.
Speaker 6: We should just call it like radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like whatever we give a camera guy for a day rate? What we give a camera guy for a day right, we'd give Mike Marziada as a day rate to come on the show and talk about trapping lure.
Speaker 6: You don't pay guests.
Speaker 1: He has a column in Trapper's Post. He has like a lure making column in Trappers Post, and in it he's talking about how, over the years the different ways he's experimented with preserving beaver casters for lure making, and he says like you can soak them in ever clear. He says you can soak them in cheap wine and then when you later grind him up to put it because it's a kind of a universal animal tract in yeah, I happened to have we quit. Me and my wife quit drinking booze. So now we just have Booze who just lives in the house and it never goes down. Right. So I have a bottle of moonshine that I've owned since the beginning of time, and I topped him off with moonshine. And I cannot get over the just how intriguing that s.
Speaker 2: Lure maker will pay you for that formula.
Speaker 1: You know what, Mike, if you come on, you can have that job.
Speaker 3: Do you think that's safe to drink?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that. Yeah, you think that.
Speaker 2: It would be.
Speaker 1: It's just pickled uh glands, yeah, picked.
Speaker 2: But it's got this it doesn't It doesn't smell like casher m m.
Speaker 1: That's what. Yeah, I know it's there.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, no, it may be there, but it's something that makes it tolerable.
Speaker 5: I think it's definitely there.
Speaker 1: Just take a big old swig of that. You don't want to get all drunk, do you trying to quit?
Speaker 4: You know it looks and smells like pickled elk nuts.
Speaker 1: Doesn't smell like a pickled Take another whiff. You guys are not you guys like you're not thinking.
Speaker 4: Man, well, I was thinking about elk nuts when I was smelling.
Speaker 5: It smells like castor.
Speaker 1: Give him another whiff, Corey taking their whiff.
Speaker 5: I think it smells like castor and picture picture May.
Speaker 1: Picture it's May and you're walking along a stream.
Speaker 4: Okay, do that a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now take a whiff.
Speaker 7: And you've got a glass of ever clear in your hand and you're drunk on.
Speaker 4: Shine, just like smelling the lid safer.
Speaker 1: Let's get in there, y, I did that the first time.
Speaker 5: Don't spill it, Will's lap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I kind of like take a swig of it. I'd drink it all, but I don't drink it.
Speaker 7: Just smells dangerous through a coffee filter and drink it. Yeah, if we can strain it a little bit.
Speaker 6: But if you if you consume cast or, like what yeah, what uh?
Speaker 5: What could happen? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Like what's is it like packed with vitamins and minerals?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great for you. It's no different than I mean, you can eat a whole animal. Yeah, flavor cigarettes with it.
Speaker 6: Have you ever made like what's the consistency when it's like fresh in the body. Is it more like brain?
Speaker 2: Is it more like brain?
Speaker 1: Hard looks like brain, But when you open it up, it's a paste. There's a paste inside of it.
Speaker 5: There's like an oily paste. And then there's like a castor.
Speaker 6: One day like like panco fried.
Speaker 1: There's no no, I'm not. The smell gets the smell like will saying, the smell gets to you.
Speaker 7: After a while, your brain starts to think that it's like you know, people make like apple, they'll make moonshine with like apples and cinnamon's brain. Your brain starts to think that it's cinnamon, and you sort of want it.
Speaker 1: Take a big old swig, just take a little Have you.
Speaker 2: Have you had your I'm not opposed to you. Have you had your?
Speaker 6: If you take a little shot, I'll take a little sh drink.
Speaker 1: You got pansies Now I'm gonna be back, be back to drinking.
Speaker 3: I'll drink it.
Speaker 7: I just there's a lot of floaties in there that I'm I don't want to pick out of my teeth.
Speaker 1: We're one day sitting there at the dinner table and my kid knows that I used to We used to drink like you know, we used to drink like people drink social social drinking. And I don't know where he picked up this expression, but he was fourteen and he says to me that, how long you've been sober?
Speaker 2: I like what.
Speaker 1: I'm like, That like implies like a whole other level of.
Speaker 7: Your sobriety journey.
Speaker 3: I think it's what they're called now, even within the confines of my home, that makes me uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: So I was like, that's like a different thing.
Speaker 2: You're nuts. You're nuts.
Speaker 1: Tastes like it smells nuts. God, regret that you want to talk about your jar now, I regret that my jar. Oh your guys jar. I'm not gonna vomit. I'm gonna go grab it. I'm gonna grab it, Sordie.
Speaker 4: Pop and wash down that castor. I believe what's referring to are that all the jars of bear grease that I just passed out, uh, freshly rendered yesterday. It looks like it still needs to find a cool dark area to Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 3: Impressed it's still liquid form here.
Speaker 4: It sat in the chen all night. Yeah, I'm surprised it is too, But find a cool dark pantry and it'll solidify on you.
Speaker 1: Sorry, did you're explaining us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, got a jar of bear grease. I passed out to everybody that wanted.
Speaker 1: One, and you got it off the spring bear, which is unusual. Yeah, to get that much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got four gallon ziplock baggies full of fat off of them, which I always figures each gallon ziplocks about seven pounds.
Speaker 6: But that's because it was the biggest bear that ever was.
Speaker 1: That's not true.
Speaker 4: The second biggest bear.
Speaker 1: We just I just I just held the biggest bear that ever was. Okay, was it a boon and crocodile?
Speaker 4: Well, gotta give it some time to shrink.
Speaker 1: Where's it sitting at right now?
Speaker 4: My garage?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, what what the skull?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Twenty just over twenty inches it? It might shrink enough?
Speaker 2: You are you?
Speaker 1: Are you drying at the bucket of water?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Bea have a beatled No, I've already boiled it.
Speaker 3: On to bomber beatles, who just make things prettier.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, now this is free though.
Speaker 5: I think there's shrinkage with beatles too, probably.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was always wondering if boiling would shrinking. I'm not gonna actually have it officially measured, but it's it's roughly twenty inches.
Speaker 1: Big old bear. I'm not I'm not. I'm just jealous, you know.
Speaker 3: No, I mean anything over nineteen inch skulls. I mean that's a big old black bro.
Speaker 1: That's a good looking I'm just having on it because I'm jealous. But when you showed me, I remember saying how big it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was asking if you needed the the shin bones for more halibate hooks.
Speaker 1: Well, I got two shin bones and I'm sending to I got two shin bones that I'm sending to Heather's dad who was interested in in in uh, because do you remember the one I made?
Speaker 4: Was it last year?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So that was from my bear last year?
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, that's what I'm saying. But did you ever see you with the finished product? So Heather, Heather Duville who's cling it and lives in Southeast Alaska. They make a halibit hook called a knock knoh. White folks can't say the word. I've tried a bunch of time.
Speaker 4: Lets you drink that moonshine, and that's the first.
Speaker 2: I think said the word earlier.
Speaker 4: If you drank that body, you'd be like, it's a nah, come out crystal clear.
Speaker 1: They make a knock and it's uh they and her father carves them just type up like traditional cling it hall hook. You'll see a picture. Not you, Corey, but I. They use yellow cedar and a and like a like a juniper. You you you and they and but anyways, they make it with a lot of traditional materials. They waited with a just a regular rock, but her father uses stainless steel. The barb he uses stainless rod. He was explaining to me that traditionally it was a bear's shin b. So I got from Corey's bear last year. I got a shin bone, and I made a few prongs and I took one of their knocks and took the stainless off and put the what I basically took the shin bone, took a porter band, kind of got it roughed in, and then I ran it on a you know, I did it. I took a bench made belt and just slowly like for like sharpener belt and shape that thing. I was quite proud of it, sent it up to him. I don't know if they've used it yet, but anyways, her dad's kind of a perfectionist, so I'm guessing that he's not happy with. He probably likes the idea, but is not impressed by that nice gesture. He's like, I could see what he was shooting. He's probably I'm putting thoughts in his mouth, but he's probably like, I see what this kid was shooting for, and if I had a shin bone, I would perfect. So I'm sending him shinbones to perfect.
Speaker 4: Do you need more?
Speaker 1: No, But I do think the one I made would work. I do think the shin bone I put on there would work. That'd be awesome. Yeah, but I don't think. I don't know if they've tried it out yet. When I went out with them to set these hooks, I was skeptical. Were you there? Yeah? You were there?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 1: We went out and set six. We made six sets, and you always fished two out of you fish two next to each other. And she's been on the podcast explain that you when you set them out, there's two hook You set two hooks next to each other, and you implore them to compete with one another, So you're setting them together to outshine each other. And when you set them, you encourage them. You're like, go get them, and then you're like your friends coming to fight you, you know, so you lower it down and we set out six sets. So he set twelve hooks and pulled like three seventy pound plus. Hell yeah, wow, like an hour soak. That's an hour soak. One of them had. One of them was a double. Yeah. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't have done that with regular hooks. And that was like not like ideal season. It was late season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was what September was it was it that over?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a little later. It's kind of after this the salmon were done.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it was late September.
Speaker 1: The softcover of Catching Crayfish Counting Stars is out if you haven't already picked up a softcover copy, it's out. So it's our kids activity book. I did two books like back to back. I did Outdoor Kids in an Inside World, which is kind of a book for parents or caregivers, their aunts and uncles about getting kind of the philosophy and practice of getting kids engaged with nature. And then the follow up was Ketcha Crayfish Counting Stars, which is like an activity book for outdoor kids to educate, inspire and make them tougher, make them more knowledgeable about nature. It's just little things they can do, projects they can do with help. You know, some things you got to have a machety or whatever, So you got to help them out with some stuff. Some stuff they can do safely on their own. It came out in hardcover. It was a number one New York Times bestseller. The soft cover is out. So what I keep saying as a joke is if you've got a kid that's not good enough, really not well behaved enough for a hardcover, like what kid in America is so bad you can't have a soft cover. I really liked that joke a lot. I've used it four times. It was the fourth time.
Speaker 3: How is it performing on the.
Speaker 1: No feedback on it? No feedback? It might be like Corey's Bear, where people are jealous and so they don't say much.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I'm sure that's it.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No, I just told you I liked the joke. I thought you're being facetious.
Speaker 7: No no, I thought it was very clever. I like the idea of bad kids.
Speaker 5: Think we may have.
Speaker 3: Lost Will here.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no, I'm bringing them right back in because I got a question for Will. Okay, picture with me?
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: Oh, do you know what this shirt is? You don't, I'll tell you. This is the odds of if you get within seventy yards of a turkey and his roof tree and don't do anything, what are the odds he's going to walk within shotgun range? That's the math problem. That's pretty cool. Do nothing, do nothing. There's a thirteen percent chance he'll be within shotgun range when he leaves. That leads into my question, if you like, if you just take an average turkey hunter's lifetime and he and he here's a gobble and calls to a bird, the bird doesn't come, what percent of the time in your in your view, after lifetime of turkey hunting and being a master turkey hunter, in your view, what percent of the time is the turkey he not interested versus the turkey's thinking, I don't buy it. Something's up.
Speaker 2: It's pretty much he don't trust it.
Speaker 1: Oh you think so?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he's he's there's been some association with hearing a yell, hearing it come from he knows it's on the ground, he's in the tree. That's always a bad deal. We never we never say nothing to his feet on the ground. But I have a friend who had one of those turkeys and one of what turkeys, one of them turkeys you couldn't kill that he would he gobbled, you'd yep him, and he wouldn't come. He'd always go the other way, and he didn't. Eventually, gob will go in the other way. So he took his son in there and he said, let's flip a coin, decide who's gonna yep. And they did and the dad lost. So they got on both sides of the tree, about one hundred yards apart from the tree.
Speaker 1: So now they got a twenty six percent chance that they do nothing.
Speaker 2: They know this turkey, they know he's gonna go. You're gonna go straight no matter if they knew straight away, Daddy yelped. Little David's out there with us going up. Five minutes later, he going.
Speaker 1: So you think that they're like you remember, you know the great famous Turkey book, tenth Legion. Oh yeah, it's like a masterpiece, right, Like, no one will ever write a better turkey.
Speaker 2: No, nobody's got nobody's got Tom Kelly's brain. He's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't care who what when no one's going to ever write a better turkey book. OK, if you're writing a turkey book, stop that's right. Write a different book, right, a beaver book.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Tom Kelly has the thing where he has like a kid. He doesn't describe it as an epiphany, but one day he's talking about he's watching some times like it's spring turkey season. He's watching some gobblers yep, going about their business yep, and he's here comes a real live hen yep, yep.
Speaker 2: Cap yap, yap, yap.
Speaker 1: They never looked at him, he says. They never lift their head up. And he's like, in that moment, was you know, maybe it's not that they're right, but that's a real hand dude, and they don't care.
Speaker 2: You're talking about these turkey hunters who think they know it all and they think there's God's gift to Colin and they're gonna yell and they're gonna and so the turkey ends up associating so much with what you're doing and the stimuli that he's getting, he learns to stay away from it.
Speaker 1: M hmm. So you've gotten where you don't make a peep till they hit the ground.
Speaker 2: Never, huh. That is that's a cardinal rue. Really, you don't do it to get him.
Speaker 3: You hear other hens yelp before before they're they hit the ground.
Speaker 5: He just knows that where they're usually in the tree. Mm hm.
Speaker 2: So if you're on the ground, he's in a tree, I mean more time than not, depending on the terrain. He knows you're down there, right, And so what what's supposed to happen? You're supposed to walk to his tree? That's why he stays in the tree, goblin. You're supposed to walk to his tree and then you and he flies down. So you got to break that. So you got to make him think he's losing something. You know, you hadn't said a word. So what we do? We take a wing? We take a dried wing. Usually it's a hen wing because they bend easier than as stiff as a jake's wing or a goblin's wing.
Speaker 1: And you gotta go up, poorch a hen.
Speaker 2: Huh, well bearded hen buddy, Okay.
Speaker 1: Trying I think out how to get that hen thing. Like you're telling everybody to go poaching.
Speaker 2: Now, no, you just hunting the fog. You have false seasons. You break him up and whistle him back in okay, But anyway, you fly down, fly down.
Speaker 1: And you do the fly down.
Speaker 2: Noise with that wing. It's tied to string to my back because they kept leaving, losing him in the woods and stays at the back of my vest.
Speaker 3: So is that an like you're cutting the air or you're hitting the ground with it.
Speaker 2: You're touching the tree because when those when the turkeys leave the limb, leave the roofe, they're hitting limbs and coming down to you. And then you'll fuck and you hit the ground. Okay, and then don't yell. Wait maybe two and a half minutes scratching the leaves. Yep, hmm, don't don't. Don't open your mouth. Take the guy's call away. He's gonna screw it up the instant he tries to yelp better.
Speaker 1: Man, I've never used AI in my life, but I'm gonna use it right now. Well, no I have, because I used the Merlin app. But I'm gonna use a eye to make him say all the opposite, and then I'm gonna be the only one that knows the truth.
Speaker 3: So we had a similar question yesterday on when we did The Meat Eater Live. We had somebody ask about using a predator call er faun in distress call. I think I brought up the fun in distress call for black bears, and I very much of the opinion that if it's kind of a two sided thing, if you just want to kill a bear, then you risk use, you risk not getting a bear by using a fun and distress call, in my opinion, because small bears will go the opposite direction. Oh yep, they're like, don't just not worth the risk, got it. But big bears either care or they don't care. But they don't leave the country because they're using a fun industress.
Speaker 1: They just might not. I've watched many of them not picked their head up right, and then one in ten goes ballistic.
Speaker 3: Yeap goes.
Speaker 1: He's gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should probably.
Speaker 4: Make a T shirt out of that, Like, what are the mathematical odds of a bear coming to your predator call?
Speaker 1: If you're close, maybe in his lap.
Speaker 2: That's the finest T shirt I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Well, you want to see something that's going to really impress you, Yeah, it's outside. Go out that door. Because we had different engineers.
Speaker 3: Hang tight, ament, boy, it's showing tell day here. On the Old Meat Eater podcast, Uncle Will's in town. Steve's getting all the stuff out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's another Yeah, it's another version.
Speaker 2: Therefore, q E d B equal zero over three sixty times one hundred and sin one quarter. I don't know who poulin Neck is, but he's good. That is crazy.
Speaker 1: No, it's a good little formula. A guy wrote in we got a listener question. The guy wrote in, he's been struggling with some beavers, and then he's saying he thinks that beaver's attacked his canoe. I disagree, porcupine, His canoe got attacked by a porcupine. To his canoe got attacked by a porcupine. That ain't a beaver.
Speaker 5: I only think beaver's just chew on random stuff.
Speaker 2: You need to qualify where where the canoe got attacked?
Speaker 1: Southwest Wisconsin. You want to see the picture?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got you. But but if you were from Mississippi, it was not a porcupine.
Speaker 5: Oh that's a good point.
Speaker 1: He's a porcupine. He's a porcupine country.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Porcupines will eat tree stands, they like treated plywood, they like.
Speaker 5: You know, they like axe handles because you just sweat from your hands getting on the axe handle wouldn't ax handle.
Speaker 3: No, No, Porky's in Mississippi.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 3: They just don't exist down there.
Speaker 2: Really when you say accent, one of my favorites saying is I'm as scared of her as a possibly as an axe handle. That's what I think.
Speaker 5: I start using that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've had him chew on my fly rod, cork handles, yep, sweat.
Speaker 1: My dad had a cab and he's telling me that they had a cabin. He said, you kind of like people would walk out the door to take a leak and there was a stump, and you would naturally it's just like a human fire hydrant, like anyone that like like went out the door. They'd go slightly left in piana stump. And he said the porcupines always out there gnawing on that stump, just from the minerals and stuff in the mountain goats.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: The guy rode in, But that's really complicated. Battle with beaver covered that. Oh, here's a good one for you, will opinions. I'm keeping freshwater fishing a small boat. Let's say you're out fishing, what do you guys? Calm down where you're from? Brim You say, bluegills or do you say brim brim blue elles? Okay, you're on a small boat. He's like, how do you keep fish nice? You know, like you don't have a big old ice chest. He's just asking, how do you.
Speaker 2: Put them in a basket in the water. You keep them breathing and alive. You like the basket the same way you do an alligator. You catch an alligator, you don't kill him. No, take his mouth up and your tie his arms up behind his back and keep him alive till you get him to the butcher room.
Speaker 7: Everybody knows that I've everybody knows that.
Speaker 1: This guy is going to be delighted that he's getting He just thought he's gonna get advice from us guys, but he's getting advice from will pray.
Speaker 2: If you want it, if you want it fresh, keep it alive.
Speaker 5: Makes sense to me totally.
Speaker 1: If you guys have any thoughts on if my stringer and what's he got going on?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Sorry, our brim game up here is pretty weak. I would love some easy access to like throwing some slip bobbers for for like.
Speaker 2: I just got I just got back from the wind River Canyon and this guy was using a balloon as an indicator, and it looked just like a cork, and I kept saying, do you see my cork move? And he goes, do what? So I went on the internet and I searched definition of a fishing cork, and after he left that day, I sent it, sent it to him. He wouldn't reply.
Speaker 1: I got a couple additional thoughts now that I've read it more carefully. He's using a stringer combo, stringer fish basket combo. He's putting them on a stringer out in the water, then he's throwing them in a fish basket when he's back. And he's also fishing for northeast northern, so he's dealing with some larger fish. He needs to go with.
Speaker 2: An ice chest for the northern for the bigger ones, keep him, you know, nice and fresh. But the smallment was keeping in a basket. If you use the stringer, you're gonna bust their lips, they're gonna break off, or you put it through the gills, you gotta kill it.
Speaker 1: That's all I was gonna include for him is I remember when we were little, we used to use stringers and we didn't know, so we'd always run it under the gill car and you got a bunch of dead fish, and then later learned to prick them with it. But you know that's that like we can't for bluegles. That doesn't really work.
Speaker 2: We would put them on stringers, but the last time my watermoks had wrapped around that stringer I done.
Speaker 1: My kid recently, he was down fishing in the creek down the road from our house, and they caught some trout and he had him on a string and then he looks down there in this big old crayfish messing with his trout. So him and his bodies came home and they fried their trout up and boiled that little crayfish. It was a nice grayfish, that nice little.
Speaker 2: Uh whatever uh fish. Boil, yeah, boil.
Speaker 1: They had a nice little boil. Okay, here's one I curious to get your thoughts on this. A guy was at a A guy was at a turkey hunting, like a turkey derby North Carolina struck masters or something like that. He was dismayed by the he was dismayed by the the field care he witnessed where you're weighing birds, and so people got their birds hung up with the guts in them out in the sun, not chilled. And then he was saying that he saw a tremendous amount like no, like some people not even taking the breasts, but a lot of people not taking the most people not taking the thighs and legs. What do you think about that?
Speaker 2: Wild turkey is just so great. The breast, the legs, the thighs make the greatest soup. It's just it's just great. If you just learn it, you's gotta deal with it. But leaving the guts in not Usually I draw them, you know, that's what you call it. Yeah, yeah, I draw him instant. I killed him before they hardly finished flopping.
Speaker 1: Yep, because that's the smells man cut.
Speaker 2: You cut a slice there at the bottom of the breast, and you stick your hand in and grab the biggest thing you can find, which is gonna be the gids. That's gonna be the gids. If you can grab a hold of it and get it, it's all coming out, got it now? If you got to weigh them, because I'm not interested in winning some turkey weight contests, so I like the meat better than that, So I'm drawing them.
Speaker 1: You know, I lost the turkey contest, and uh and uh Elroy, I think it's called Elroy, Wisconsin. Is every place called Elroy, Wisconsin? Yeah? Sure, I joined a turkey derby, but I got my bird and brought it down and I was the leader on the board, and then a guy beat me by a few ounces, and all the old guys in the bar were just thought I was the dumbest guy on the planet. My buddy says, he go, his dad goes back in there a couple of days later, and you're sitting there and instilling there. He got it the bird. Good for you.
Speaker 6: But I know this audience member was kind of a pall that there would be so many dead turkeys just pinned to a board, and it was that no one was really taking the meat out of them. So it was about salvage laws. I'm wondering how many states have I don't know.
Speaker 1: His final question is my question to the crew is what is the best way to get North Carolina to create legislation on a salvage law?
Speaker 3: Yeah, start showing up at your Fishing Game committee meetings and introduce it. And then eventually, if you feel like you're not getting any traction, you can ride into your state reps and get somebody interested in that, the people that you need to target in that case, or the people who sit on the Fishing Game Committee at the state level.
Speaker 1: I'm a big believer in I love salvage laws. I understand dan like arguments that like, oh, it's a big brother telling you what to do, But I like I like them. I like how detailed they are. I like salvage laws.
Speaker 6: Are they per species I see?
Speaker 1: Or they'll spell it out like ducks up to the size of a mallard? Right, an interesting little thing here, and it's still even though they rolled Montana rolled back some salvage laws, but in Montana, is it Montana?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: I think the wing wing meat got to retain the wing meat, which.
Speaker 6: Wings.
Speaker 3: That's strict. I think for this turkey contest. There is a lot of meat on wings for this turkey contest. If you want to just make everybody happy and not feel like they're wasting good stuff, is you got to contract out with like some sort of a mobile food trucking service.
Speaker 7: And then it's just an extra fee and part paying the fee.
Speaker 3: People can't just jerk the hide off their turkey and and throw the carcasses and and he says, at least make stock. I put up a ton of stock every year, and and and that definitely is part of why I like killing a bunch of turkeys. But yeah, turkey stock is amazing. And if you want, as long as it's fresh, you you don't have to clean those birds. Well, you just dump it.
Speaker 1: All cowls boils the whole bird.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 3: I pull the meat, pull the meat off, take the everything.
Speaker 1: But the guy will he throws into a post.
Speaker 2: I like to see a turkey baked, roasted hole like you like doing that? Yeah, and the in the wild turkey, of course, the breast but just sticks straight up. It's just you know, it's not break round like the swift butter ball. But you boil some water and you dip in. Of course you've already drawn him, so the hot water. You don't want to leave it too much. You don't want to cook the meat, but you you get it just right, and that those feathers will just come off in that you're leaving the hot o.
Speaker 3: Got Well, then are you Bryan and your bird? And then roasting it?
Speaker 2: You can. I've done it that way. It's not necessary. Oh really, Yeah, you just flat clean it good. Pick all the feathers up, all the wing every everything. Yeah, make it look like you can stuff it if you want. I like oyster dressing the best cool.
Speaker 1: I want people to know that we know that it's not turkey season anymore.
Speaker 2: Oh, it depends on who's watching.
Speaker 3: This is the last weekend and it's wrapping up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know. I could talk turkeys at any time.
Speaker 1: No, I love talking turkeys. And you got to you got to look at a turkey man here. You know. I had a guy one time who was in the poultry business, uh described me. He lumped turkeys into two categories, sharp breasted and round breasted, and he would say a turkey a wild turkey. He said, that's a shark breasted bird.
Speaker 2: It's sharp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good way of describing it.
Speaker 2: And they can be pretty dry, so you can inject them with butter when you bite them. Wild mate can be very very dry.
Speaker 3: I would use oven bags and oven I thought the oven bag with brining a bird, you never got a dry bird.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 3: They were, they were fantastic. Yeah, but I'd take I'd take the legs off because they just wouldn't they wouldn't they went cooked to the same degree.
Speaker 2: The you gotta you gotta cook them slower and more. You put the legs in a crockpot. Yeah, and and it falls off the boat.
Speaker 3: Or Buddy Jesse Griffiths just taught me you basically turn your turkey leg into a smoked hamhock. And so I just did four turkey.
Speaker 1: Legs like that, so into something.
Speaker 3: I brind them in like a cure style brine, smoked them, and then I just back sealed them for doing like big things of collared greens or something like that. Throw them in there for sound good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm getting that cast or taste out. Just how long has it been I got here's another advice thing from Okay, another guy wrote in looking for advice, but we're gonna put it to you. Okay, this this is like a complict. This put your thinking cap on. Okay, it's like a math problem.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Okay.
Speaker 1: He's wondering about how to tip a guide, so tipping a guide. Okay, Ready, we got former guides in the room. You guys will have an opinion about this. Oh okay, put put yourself in the hunters. Don't put you guys. So cal Corey you're in the hunter's perspective.
Speaker 5: And Randall Randall's fishing guy.
Speaker 1: Oh you've done yeah, you've done some guiding. Okay, you're in the anglers perspective, not the guy's perspective. John, he said, when he used to guide and the clients has come in, he goes, you're always looking for subtle cues about who's got the bust money so he can get paired with them.
Speaker 4: It doesn't always work out that way.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 7: I had a guy one time spent the whole week. I fished him for like six days and he'd won the trip, so it was a free trill, and he kept asking me all week. He's like, so, you know, Walter takes care of you, right, Walter takes cally right. And I was like, man, it's really thoughtful of him that he's he's so concerned that I'm being fed and housed and that my summer's going well. And at the end of the week, he got on the plane and he stuck his head out the plane and he said, Walter's taking care of you, right, And it finally clicked that he was checking to see whether or not he needed to tip me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it was a free trips too late.
Speaker 3: Quick throw a rock through the windshield of plane. Hold on a second.
Speaker 1: Okay, ready for this pocket. So you gotta no think we're giving you hit numbers. Here your businessman, six day Bear Turkey combo hunt, and the price is The price is four six hundred per hunter. The outfitter webs recommends fifteen to twenty percent tip for the guide plus one hundred to two hundred dollars for the camp cook. The outfitter notified us we will have a guide for Turkey and a separate guide for bear. My friend wants to tip twenty percent, so nine hundred and twenty dollars plus two hundred to the cook. But he thinks we need to tip twenty percent to each guide for a total of one thousand, eight hundred and forty dollars worth of tips. Comes out to a forty four percent increase per hunter.
Speaker 3: I'd say, you do whatever you want and give me your friend's number and I'll guide him anytime.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I agree that we should tip for our trip. I think forty four percent of the total trip price is excessive for each individual hunter. I have two tip recommendations. Then he goes down with his recommendations. He wants to split it up. We're gonna tip twenty percent. So if it's six days of okay, if it's if it's three days of turkey, three days of bear, however you slice it. You take the twenty percent amount and go like, okay, you get half of twenty percent, and then the turkey guide gets half of twenty percent. What would you do to me?
Speaker 2: It's really simple. Okay, it's a cost of a hunt. If the hunt costs you five thousand dollars three days or six days, I tip amendment of twenty percent.
Speaker 1: And they can do how they can divide it up how they.
Speaker 2: Want, how they want. Now, I also tip the cook, like I just left on from a trip on the wind River Canyon and I checked in because I wanted to know kind of what the average that typical tip is one hundred dollars per person per day. There's two people in the boat, two hundred dollars a day for three days. That's six hundred dollars. Okay, I gave him, mate hunter. I just think gods, now, if the gods, if he's a if he's an sob, he's got a bad attitude, and every other word out of his mouth is profanity, which I don't like.
Speaker 4: That explains a lot.
Speaker 2: In other words, if you were my guide, you'd get zero steven.
Speaker 1: You don't want steve guide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So anyway, I just I just think twenty percent for a tip he guided me once.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Were you cursing all the time?
Speaker 4: Nope, that's good. Maybe maybe under my mustache. Yeah, And it was a heck of a tip.
Speaker 1: I quit any kind of booze. I'm gonnaquit any kind of swearing.
Speaker 4: Next, there you go, Good luck, tip your guys twenty percent.
Speaker 1: So these you guys, the guy that rolled in twenty percent of the bill, and then divide it of the guides. How you think I think that your friend. Thinking that each guy gets twenty percent is not the way to think about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: If I'm meeting at a restaurant and my server I get a new server halfway through the meal or whatever, if someone clocked out, I'm not all of a sudden tipping forty percent meal.
Speaker 1: That's that's a great way of looking at it. Another way to look at it. Let's say you're going out like we did a guy to hunt one time for mule deer with Crooked Sky Outfitters, wonderful guys. But you might be with Stuart one day, might be with Land one day. You know what I mean. They might be like, well today, go with so and so because he wants to go up and check. You know, in the end going like sure, twenty percent of the trip to him, twenty percent of the trip to him, twenty percent of the trip to him. Yeah, it wouldn't be how you'd look at it.
Speaker 2: So we had a lady that cleaned the lodge in the room every day. I gave her one hundred dollars for the three days and which wasn't asked for. And then the chef was great, he had a great personality and he was five star. I gave him six hundred bucks. Starting to think of my host this show just right.
Speaker 7: To pour him a glass of that will moonshine a couple.
Speaker 2: When you go on these trips and these people, I mean, guiding is a great life. If you don't weaken, it can be it can be hard.
Speaker 1: If you don't do what weaken. I don't understand what you means, even if the guide doesn't.
Speaker 2: If the guide doesn't weaken, oh I see, I mean it's hard. I got you and and you know, and and and they're dealing with some of these guides get some pretty bad clients. Oh my gosh, they know it all. They want to tell you how to hunt. You got to remember, don't guide the god. You bought a hunt. You hired a guide, and you got to go with the flow. Yeah, compliment him and and give him the opportunity to do good for you.
Speaker 1: You know, I've been developing a piece of life advice that I've been using, and I use it with contractors. Well, if if I'm having a problem with like in my chanical room. I explained this on the show recently. Like let's say I'm having we have in floor heating. You open my mechanical room up. You can't tell what's going on in there's two companies. It's not like the old days, like a pipe coming in, a pipe going out. You look at your like, who knows. It's like open up a NASK control room. So what I do when I have a guy over, I don't do that. Well, you know, I'm thinking it might be whatever, And you know, and I tried a couple of things, but you know, I'm too busy fixing other stuff. So I need you to take a quick look and I'd probably be able to figure it out. Like I don't do any of that garbage. I come in and go, man, I'm an idiot. I don't know anything about I look in here and it's just I don't get it. That opens up like that opens up a level of rapport and you you just just you dispense with all the trying to save face and you just come in and be like, dude, I don't know. I don't know. I don't I don't get it. I'd love to understand it. I can't understand it. And it just creates a different dynamic because a guy's impulse is to try to establish his bona fides. Right good. Yeah, So Nate Mason, who we worked with recently, went to a dog training thing and he said, the first words out of my mouth he knows a thing or two. The first words out of his mouth, man, I'm an idiot. I don't know anything about any of this, he says, just completely changed the whole dynamic. People all day trying to help him out. So he said, like everybody's real nice to him. He got a lot more for his money instead of coming and being like, wow, I've trained a few dogs in my day. You know none of that.
Speaker 2: It's like a fishing guy. You're hiring a guid. We were on the wind river. That guy has been fishing that river every day. He's watching the river change, he's watching the levels, he's watching the temperature, he's watching different spots. He's figuring it out. And so I come in. I'm a big fly fisherman. I go all the time. I know what I'm doing, and I trust to tell the guid what to do. It changed just the dynamics of the whole trip. Instead. At first, I said, look, anything I do, tell me not to if you need to, and if you need to tell me twice, tell me twice. God tell me what to do. And I want to play his game. And he was so much more fun and he taught me. I learned stuff that I didn't know.
Speaker 1: Yep. It was great, yeap.
Speaker 2: And then you tip good and you're welcome back.
Speaker 1: So do the guides in this room like this.
Speaker 4: I love everything. Will saying yeah, I need to know more specifics about this bear hunt. Is it a baited bear hunt? Is it spot in stock? Are their hounds involved?
Speaker 1: Why you want to talk shop about bear hunt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this isn't enough information here, Okay.
Speaker 1: Will I got one more for you? Greay for this guys, No, gents, mm hmmm, sorry for the The title is Turkey's versus Grouse Mortal enemies, he said, Sorry for the title. I wanted to grab your attention and all seriousness. However, this has been on my mind quite a few years now. Maybe you folks have heard of this discussion before, and maybe you guys think it's nuts. But I'm telling you there's a good amount of Northern Minnesota outdoorsmen who keep repeating what I believe to be a rural myth. That myth is that turkey's target and kill grouse and grouse nests eggs. He says he has had over fifteen people tell him that turkeys are killing the grouse.
Speaker 3: Are they all from the same family, It's.
Speaker 2: A large family.
Speaker 5: I don't know about that.
Speaker 7: Did they suspiciously have a freezer full of grouse?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I mean, if you watch domestic turkeys, not like in your high density facilities, right, but like your normal barnyard, I don't know, vanity turkeys, we'll call them scratching around. I mean they'll get they'll get into anything, curiosity stuff, and it's not uncommon to like throw eggshells out there for a little added calcium.
Speaker 1: It's a great point because when I put my compost on my garden, the magpies, every bird in town is walking around and there picking the eggshells out during nesting season.
Speaker 3: So it wouldn't surprise me if if a handful of turkeys take advantage of something like that. But I don't think it's going to be a primary food source.
Speaker 6: Or.
Speaker 3: It would be. I mean it'd be really interesting, right if they're there, it'd be like a fisheries biology study. Right, It's like how much mass can that landscape port? And by killing off the grouse, the turkey population will grow somehow, right.
Speaker 2: I say, look at the science, somebody, I don't know, it's look at the size. I mean, what's the what's the turkey biologist name from Georgia Chamberlain. Yeah, so if I'm I'm mistaken, If I remember right, he's the one who figured out that the great horned isle was killing the guy was knocking them off the limb and flying down and eating their head and all the entest from the neck. And that's it. But he documented it. He figured it out and documented it scientifically. So that's what needs to be done.
Speaker 3: I don't think you don't understand how the game of BS has played.
Speaker 2: I do. I do, and I'm telling you I'm using the side I'm going to side.
Speaker 1: Well, there is a there is a there is a parallel because we had a woman the show. I think she's sitting right where you're sitting right now, and they do cameras on Turkey nests, right, So all you gotta do is you gotta somehow. It's probably not hard to do. You can design this though. You got to catch grouse, find the females, put a marker on them at the right time of year, find when they're hanging out. Go there. She was concerned that, she explained us. She was concerned that that what's that thing in astronomy, like just you watching it changes it.
Speaker 2: M oh Hesberg Heisenberg's principle.
Speaker 1: There's a bit of Heisenberg's principle at play because she feels that your she feels that your presence at the nest changes a dynamic. And she has noticed that when she goes to a nest site and does the work and sets the camera up. She feels that very quickly thereafter there's a bobcat present in a much higher likelihood than a bob cat will be present right away then later, And somehow that activity and human order and messing around is somehow attractive. Wow, she was speculating. She doesn't know, but she has it. She's like, why is it that we place a camera and so quickly there's a bobcat there and then no bobcats? You know who knows a studio Miriams, Kansas. Okay, so whatever that would be in h Rio's or Eastern studying that but yeah, it would be an interesting thing. But I'll tell you one thing that changed my life and how I view wildlife is you remember long it must maybe it was a decade ago. Someone had a trail cam image of a of a white tail deer that walked up to a robin nest and ate some of the chicks. And I'm like, hey, all bets are off, Like, all bets are off. You know.
Speaker 3: I can't remember where we were, but somebody was, oh, it was in Wyoming the other day. But there's a bunch of town pheasants basically in all the green areas. And this friend of mine. His folks had just moved to town, and it asked him, is there anything they can do about these pheasants because they're they're cackling so early in the morning.
Speaker 1: Get up earlier and go to work.
Speaker 3: And yeah, maybe that's what that white tailed deer was doing in the morning.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I watched we were watching, me and my boy were watching some turkeys, you know, as turkeys off and are on the wrong side of a fence, just watching them and like trying to call him into a place they never want to go in a millionaires, you know. And like this bird, we watched him for an hour, you know, and he never made a peep. And then a while later, this pheasant gets up and he's doing those low flying, like flying cackles and gets over that turkey's head and hit it. Hit like a good shot, gobble off that rooster. All right, Well tell us about the gun auction. Well these are what if people want to see what they look like? What can they type into their phone.
Speaker 2: The truth about conservation dot com?
Speaker 1: Oh, this is to see the actual things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see the guns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, truth call it conservation dot com. So as he will's talking, since you probably have your phone with you Truth about Conservation dot Com. Then in the gun auction you can you can behold the purty shotguns that will will now explain the history of and what's happening with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I've always loved my first my first gun ever shot was the Fox Model B side by side, double trigger. My dad when he got out of World War two, he was alive, He got on went to the hardware store. He was gonna go hunting, and bought him that gun for ten dollars used and it's now one of my favorite guns. And so he then bought some bamboo fly rods, and uh, that's kind of the story of my daddy after World War two and hunting and fishing. But as time went on, didn't have any money, and I just loved the marriage of metal the wood.
Speaker 1: And Uh.
Speaker 2: I went hunting with a guy and he had hollering and holloing hammer guns and he handed me one and we went hunting. And it's just so much fun to cock those hammers. So before they figured out how to put the hammers internally and the cock them when you open when the gun opened, cock them, the hammers were on the outside and so you cocked the hammers and you had a safety and just like any normal gun. So the hammers are cought, and it was just so much fun shooting it. You don't see the hammers when you shoulder the gun when you mount it. And so the first gun that I ordered was a sixteen Gage and Purdy was happened to be in town. I asked them to meet with me. That took me to dinner, thought them. I wanted to order the sixteen, and I wanted to reserve the four ten, the twenty eight, the twenty having the sixteen made and the twelve the serial number consecutive, because I was going to order all of them over time.
Speaker 1: But how would the serial number be consecutive. They've reserved them. Oh I got okay, yeah, so they reserved the serial numbers. I see, so those were gonna be my serial numbers when I ordered the guns. So ordered the sixteen and that was the sixteen Gays like my daddy's fox.
Speaker 2: And so I just loved hunting with a gun. I kill a white tail with it, turkey squirrels, killing the limit of gray squirrels. That holding up a two hundred thousand dollars shotgun. It's kind of fun. And that's one of my favorite pictures. But anyway, so I started ordering the other guns. But they told me, they said, will, we don't have plans to ever make a four ten or a twenty eight and I hammerd gun with ejectors. We just don't even have the plans for it.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: And I said, well, start working, because I'm going to order them. If you want the money, yeah, I'm going to order them. And so over time they finally decided to build the four ten. They built ten. They only built ten, huh Gordy's in Houston, about five of them. Four of them were bought at the SCI Show, and one of them's mine. Mine's the only one that's different. I have modified beavertail and mine have a special bird engraved on each gun. And so I ordered that gun, and then I ordered the twenty eight. The twenty eight is the only twenty eight in existence. It's a twenty eight gauge Hamry gun with ejectors. It's it's my favorite upland gun. And the four to ten costs two hundred and ninety five thousand dollars. God, and it is there, and they're beautiful and they're exquisite and when you close them, they go because they're they're so tight. I was in Arizona hunting with my twenty eight, and I don't know how, all of a sudden shot reloading the gun and it wouldn't close, and I went, oh my gosh, what is going on? The gun would not close, and I didn't want to force it. So I'm looking at it. A piece of sand had gotten into the breach.
Speaker 1: That's how tight it is.
Speaker 2: That's how tight it is. I blew out, that's saying. And so I just the guns are just a joy to shoot, there's a joy to handle. Of course they're all fit to me, you know, made measure much for me. But when we when we did the initial gathering of information, all these conservation groups, the Congression of Sportsman's Foundation du rm F, NWTF and Coiling Pheasants came to my home in Mississippi and we took them out to a real nice sporting range that have atlease h l i Ce. Some people call them zz bird targets there.
Speaker 1: I'm not tracking what you mean by that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Haalise is a as as a target with two fan blades on it and so it's out in a box and you. It starts spinning when you when you say I'm ready the target. There are five album So there's five boxes with five spinning fans with a target in the center. And so when you say pull, one of those is going to go and you don't know.
Speaker 5: What you want?
Speaker 1: I got you and one it was gonna pigeons. Clay pigeon is going to drop into one of those fans and spit it out.
Speaker 2: But it's already there. It's not a clay pigeon. It's a plastic pigeon. It's a plastic clayton and it's made do mimic box pigeon shooting, which started in Europe when they used to that was the big shooting event.
Speaker 1: I'm back to not understanding what's it called healase.
Speaker 2: H E L I c E or zz bird.
Speaker 1: Is it dumb that I don't know this? No?
Speaker 2: Okay, A lot of people don't know about it, okay, I mean police. It's a specialized discipline of shooting and it's a big competition. The world championship this year is in Italy. Last year I think it was in Cyprus, Greece. So anyway, you say pull and one of those five targets is going to go. It's gonna that. You don't know whether it's going to go straight up the fan. The machine is oscillating, so they might go straight up, straight away, straight left, straight right. It's crazy what it can do. And so you're sitting there ready and your eyes have to be blended over the five targets. So when one of them goes, you got to go to it and kill it. So we lined up all five of the conservation group four, ten, twenty eight, twenty sixteen, and twelve, and we made all the targets go one at a time, one, two, three, four or five. Nobody missed and it was just beautiful, really, yeah, seeing everybody shoot those guns and enjoy them. And so that was kind of one of the scenes. You'll you probably can see that on that The Truth About Conservation site. Probably that's probably a video of that on there. God, but the whole effort here was to engage these conservation groups.
Speaker 1: Well you got back up, I'm not done hearing about the whole thing. When you were accumulating them, were you thinking to yourself and someday I'll give them all the way.
Speaker 2: I didn't know what I was going to do I felt like I could find some way to help raise money for the hunting and fishing community. I just didn't know what it was going to be. And so as I would attend the decks a limited convention or the National Wald Turkey Federation convention, I would find the philanthropy organized people who accept money and all that kind of stuff, and I say, look, I got these set of guns. I would like to give them away to conservation. I'm trying to figure out how to do that, and I want these groups to share in the money. These are people who've been a part of my life. The RMF is such an incredible organization and it's done so much for my life. And the National Wild Ticket Federation and Ducks and Limit and quail and pheasants, I mean, they are just incredible organizations. And the Congressional Sportsmans Foundations who protects our hunting and fishing and trapping rights at the local, state and federal level. I mean, how can I do something to give back and thank them for what they've done to help protect those rights and to help grow other people being associated with hunting and fishing and trapping. And so one day this Congressional Sportsment Foundation call me, and they said, look, we got this campaign. It's not Hunt Fish listen, it's I hunt, I Fish, I vote go. And they said, we want you to be a part of this campaign. I said, look, that's fine, I'll do that. I'll do it here.
Speaker 1: We mean too.
Speaker 2: I'm not really interested in being a poster boy, but I will. I said, but I've got these guns. How can we leverage these guns? How can I cause a ripple effect? How can I throw a little pebble into a perfectly still body of water and have it become a wave? Those are my words. And I was talking to a lady named Corin Johann. She was the director of marketing. She's no longer there, but she says, let's think about it. Let me talk to Jeff Crane, the head of Congressional Sportsman, and to Kevin Perry, and listen, let me see what do we can come with her. She calls him back. She goes, so you want to give us these guns, and then we think we can auction them and all the money and the proceeds, and well you'll have to have them a praise and anything over a praise value will can be written off because they're going to go to all five O one see for the public companies, and so that's how all came about. And that's what we did. We created the campaign articles in all these magazines alerting everybody so some hopefully some guy that's got a real niceness day who wants to give back to conservation will pay more than their than they're a praise value.
Speaker 1: Are you guys being public about the praise value? Is there a minimum?
Speaker 2: I don't know how. Buck Island is the auction house. They auction off the finest guns in the world, and we chose them because there is a.
Speaker 1: That's where we bought that punk gun from.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we met those guys at at pheasant Fest this year and are quail classic and we ran through the hole.
Speaker 2: In Kansas City. Yeah, did you see the primost guns?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, oh yeah, I was telling you earlier. I personally just enjoy the fact that the sixteen gauge is noticeably well worn.
Speaker 2: I'm guilty. Yeah, yeah, the sixth thing has a little more wear on it than the other ones.
Speaker 3: Well, to me, it makes it all more valuable because you're, you know, just like anything in these days, if you can buy whatever, but if that thing has a story. Yeah, it can be a lot more valuable. Yeah, And and so the whole set kind of has that like it is like fine fine stuff. Anybody can see that. You're like, this is something that is set apart by craftsmanship. Yeah, and there's there's a couple of those guns don't look like they've been touched at all, but I'm sure they've been cleaned. And yeah, but the sixteen has been because I think you put extra swivel studs in there and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I had swivel studs put on the sixteen because it's my duck gun. When I'm putting out the decoys, I slinging on my shoulder a little, did I know, I'm scratching it and back there was suspender spender buckles and yeah, you know, anyway, I had to have it, you know, kind of touched up.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the Rock Island folks, so they have a whole Uh, it's online. I'm sure I haven't looked at it online, but I have a big catalog in the whole collection, and.
Speaker 5: And there is.
Speaker 3: We should look it up right now. But there is an appraisal price that has been posted.
Speaker 2: So the gun the guns cost about a million one and they have praised for eight hundred because they are they are used. Oh I see, anything anything that's paid over the a praise value can be written off.
Speaker 3: Right, But those guns, no matter who they belong to, typically go for over a praise value.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those those parties do. I mean they're a major.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But there will never ever be another set. So Rock Island went to London and interviewed Nick Carlo, who is the curator of the London Guns World, and he sits right there and says, this will never ever be never been done and will never be done not again. Yeah, one of a kind one up again.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyway, so you know, you you go and you think about what what somebody can do. So what I want is for other people also to think. Other people have things that they've acquired in life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that are valuable. I'm touching one right here, buddy.
Speaker 2: Nobody want Nobody wants your cash or moonshine. I may want something for some bait. I may want that. No telling what you catch. But anyway, so other people hopefully will start a ripple effect in that way, yep, that other people can think, well you know I've got I've got this beautiful painting or I've got this gun, or I got this and I'd like to give it to Congressional I mean, they are working their butts off, like the Colorado Initiative to stop all the anti hunting stuff. And you know, if they don't get on the front end of it and provide the money and the resources and tap into all the people that they have access to to tell the story, we're gonna lose.
Speaker 1: Hit Hit me with a couple more details, just just for folks listening the auction. What are the the what is it a specific Sorry, having a hard time communicating. Is it like a specific moment?
Speaker 2: December fifth of December seventh?
Speaker 1: Okay? The parties like you got to have like so it's not like open for a long bid process that like it's a four sky our bid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's go start and then it'll probably be the fifth, the fifth, sixth, and seven. It'll probably be the fifth and sixth. They haven't neared that window down. I'll be there for the option. Well you will in Dallas, ye, my wife and I will.
Speaker 1: Man, I gotta check what I got going on.
Speaker 2: Seventh is Pearl Harbor.
Speaker 1: It's an auspicious day, Yeah, really that's pretty exciting, man, Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: And and you know, I just can't say enough about these organizations and what they've gone to bat for us and all of us hunters and fishermen and trappers and and if we can do something, we should.
Speaker 1: That's generous of you, man, That's that's real admirable. Sounds like such a cool collection too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. You know, after I I got the twenty eight, you know, my wife was looking at the order. You know, it's really expensive, and we were she said, I'm going to go to Junichor that's a really fancy jewelry store in town. I went, I said, okay, and she goes, I'm really looking at a really nice ring. I said, you can't catch me.
Speaker 1: Okay. So December is coming up. We'll remind people as we go along. But in December, the collection it's called the Primost Guns Like, what's the what's the sort of.
Speaker 2: Slang Will Primost Party collection?
Speaker 1: I guess so will I like that, the Will Primost party collection. The Will Primost Party Collection will go and then though that money will be divided uh by five conservation organizations. The Will Primost has identified as having changed his.
Speaker 2: Life his life changed, many of our lives changed, many of our lives. And Rock Island there is a buyer's commission and a seller's commission, and they have forgiven the seller's commission, which is going to be hundreds of thousand dollars. They've given that back already. So we're already own a role here raising money with this deal. M hm.
Speaker 1: Has anyone reached out to you yet to tell you, like, I'm going to be there and I'm bidden.
Speaker 2: I've had several people say I'm really interested. Okay, you think they're serious. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, one's tried to pre empt.
Speaker 2: Not that I know of, and I don't know how they do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got it, got it. Lastly, Steward Link. I hadn't heard about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So steward Link is stewardlink dot com. It is a group of tremendous adronomist forsters, people that have all the degrees and all the certifications for writing conservation programs. A lot of these people are former National Resource Conservation Service in ours part of the US Department of Agriculture office that have come together. Just like a CPA represents you to the irs, the people at stewart Link represent the steward of the land, the person who owns the land in pharmacy or the person who leases in the farming. They're the steward that ever controls the land and they represent them and help them access the government programs, which.
Speaker 1: Is probably like a byzantine structure that's hard to navigate.
Speaker 2: And there's all kinds of issues with it. Everything's ranked. So when you the Contravation Stewardship Program CSP program, If you apply for the for a Contravation Stewardship program and you apply, everybody in here applies. We all have five hundred acres, thousand akres, two and fifty acres. We get ranked who has the most opportunity to put the most conservation on the ground. But I hired Stewart Link, and Stewart Link knew that if they would write certain plans. These are these activity plans, Conservation Activity Plans, Conservation Activity c AP CAT plan. I think the name that academ may have changed recently with they are changing stuff all the time. But anyway, these plans, the plans were written for me. For mine, I was going to do a nutrient plan, ok. I was going to do a water controvation plan, a variable rate pesticide plan, a variable rate fertilizer plan. And I had all these plans written and didn't cost me a penny, and that's part of my application. And I ranked the highs and I got the forward one thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: I mean, a big, big problem, right is you have producers, farmers, ranchers that are working sixteen hour days and then in order to understand this stuff apply for it, have the back and forth that takes a hell of a lot of time to at the back end of that day. Yeah, and there's huge, huge bottlenecks in these systems.
Speaker 2: And the n r CS employees there's there's right here on Main Street and both of them, there's in our CS office. Those people are great, but there's only so many hours in the day, and you know, and there's so many there's these plans. Mississippi, because we're in Mississippi's where we started. It's number one in CSP, it's the number one state in all the country. We went to California, the whole state of California had only four CSP prands that have ever been approved.
Speaker 1: MM.
Speaker 2: So now we're going to New We're in where New York, Indiana Ohio. We've got employees in those states and we're constantly meeting with farmers and helping them understand what's available.
Speaker 1: Let's say, just help me out. So I'm a farmer in give me a state where you guys were, Wisconsin. Okay, I'm a farmer Wisconsin, and I have a thousand acres and and I want to know even just what is available for conservation funding from my land. That's correct. That's the first step is call and be like, I'm managing a thousand acres for my family.
Speaker 2: It's located in this county. Here's my farm number. We can access to all that and look at everything and give you the information, and you don't have to hires. If we can help you, we will help you.
Speaker 1: That's and that would be like questions like should I put stuff in CRP? Is there a way that I should be categorizing portions of my land for the tax structures or whatever?
Speaker 2: Exactly? I mean, it's just a tremendous amount of opportunity fornice. Let's say you've got a piece of land and next to you it's a piece of land that's got wr E Waterfowl Reserve. He's been on it which was a former you know, wetlands Protection plan and it was planted trees and you it borders you, and you want to put it on yours. Well, guess what, you already rank higher than most because you border apart already has Oh god, so we know that. So we oh, we need to focus on this. And then there's equal there's equip. You've got a piece of land you're you're in Montana and it's a little bit rolling and you don't have any money or barely making it trying to grow weed or whatever.
Speaker 3: You're doing familiar, but you need to level that land.
Speaker 2: If you could level it and you could irrigate it a different way and so that all the water would flow correctly, slowly and maximize the water that you have some water, but you need more. Da da da da. We can write you an equip plan and the government will come in and give you money to level that land, to move the dirt and to make.
Speaker 3: It and then so on the implementation side of things is that is that where folks start cutting cutting checks to Steward Steward Link.
Speaker 2: Just you don't you don't pay Stuart Link a dime unless you get approved for a program nice, and then you don't pay. You don't pay Stuart Link a dime until you get the money. Let's say you qualified, and you might. You've qualified for a four and a thousand dollars prob you get the you get the program, you pay Steward Link typically twenty percent. You get the money, then you write them a check. Yep, cool, So you don't you don't spend anything.
Speaker 1: I don't want to get too far into the details here, but does that twenty percent that's got to come out of pocket though, because you got to put the grant on the ground.
Speaker 2: You're not paying the twenty percent until you get the money. That means you've got it, and it's happening.
Speaker 1: But let's say I. Let's say okay, let's say I apply and I get one hundred dollars, and the assumption is I'm gonna take the hundred dollars and put the hundred dollars onto the land to the program.
Speaker 2: They're gonna pay the money. It's all. It's all under You've got to do what's supposed to be done.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I'm saying, so I got to go find the twenty dollars because I'd taken one hundred. I got to go find twenty dollars somewhere else for steward.
Speaker 2: Yeah that or you take it out of that.
Speaker 1: Oh so that's what I'm saying. There is a way to get it out of that. Oh yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, because that was part of implementation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's part of it. It's part of the plan to implement all the things, and we will help monitor to make sure you're doing you're part of the game because you're not just going to get this money and not do it. You've got to spend the money in the right place.
Speaker 1: You talk about like implementation. There's a funny story where I got a buddy that had a he's got his land in CRP. The CRP program, it's you know, it's strict right what you're doing, don't do well. They had a deer blind set on a hay wagon and one day he was told, hey, you got farm equipment on the CRP. He's like, no, we don't. He realized it was a blind on a hay wagon and they were just look when they do they like drive by and look and he's like, oh, wow, you're right. They moved they moved away. You've got to do It's like dudes come by and they like, see what's going on that you can get You can get dinged.
Speaker 2: You got to do what you're supposed to do to implement the program properly, to put conservation on the ground. Everything flows downstream. If we use less fertilizer, could we variable rate it rather than just broadcasting everywhere, then we're sending less nitrogen, less less nutrients downstream, which over blooms stuff and screws up the creeks. So there's a reason for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, excellent, man. And anything else you want to anything else you need to tell us about from from uh will Primo's land.
Speaker 2: Something that's kind of funny. So this this this place in Virginia called the Homestead.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's old.
Speaker 2: Oh the first US Open sporty Clay Championship was hell there. It's in Hot Springs, Virginia. If I got the city creg and they contacted me about the gun giveaway, and they said, we want to do something to help you with that deal. We want to attract more people. And I said, okay, what you want to do said we want to have a shoot and we want to call it the Will Primos Invitational huh. That kind of made me laugh. I said, okay, do you have to shoot very good if you enter this thing. So that's happening, that's coming up in July, and it's going to be an exclusive set of people who are interested in bidding on the guns that are coming.
Speaker 1: Can people go get on the list?
Speaker 2: You get, Yeah, you pay, and so much of the proceeds to be a part of this exclusive omni resort dinner meals shooting goes to the Congressional Sportsmans Foundation.
Speaker 1: Okay, so if someone is kicking the idea around getting ready for a bid in December and they want to experience the guns, here's.
Speaker 2: The guns are going to be there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so here's an opportunity to show up. And yeah, here's an opportunity to show up, and.
Speaker 7: It will give you the hard sell personally.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, all right. I might even let somebody shoot one of the guns that that if that, if insurance will cover it?
Speaker 1: Are they already out of your name? They're not in your name anymore.
Speaker 2: They're in the Congressional Sports Town that name, gotcha, gotcha? And Rock Island carries the insurance.
Speaker 1: Where do they sit right now?
Speaker 2: Right now? They're in Baltimore, Maryland at the du President's Convention. Okay, they're being shown.
Speaker 1: Right, so they're on the road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, just like they were at yeah, at the city.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I know the Rock Island Boys were telling me that the part of the reason for going to party and talking with was to figure out what the insurance price needs to be, h what what type of coverage they need to have. And it's a heck of a lot more than eight hundred thousand.
Speaker 1: The Rock Island Boys sounds like something if you're reading about the Civil War. Yeah, it's like someone that took the backside of the hill oft Antietam or something.
Speaker 2: Kevin Hogan, one of the odors of Rock Out. They're incredible people. They're great conservations.
Speaker 1: Is that right? Okay, that's good to know they're they're for us. Good. All right, man, Well, thanks for coming on. I appreciate you taking the time.
Speaker 2: Man, it's awesome to be with you. You are nuts. I'm gona tell you what that castor and moosh. You know.
Speaker 1: I've often said I got a problem where like I I like if I bring this up all time, but like if someone's telling me about a health problem, I'll start feeling like I got the health problem. Do you know what I mean? Someone's like, oh, you know my uncle had to stickular cancer. I'll get like a terrible ache. It's just and now I've gotten my head like, I'm like, well, what would happen if you drank a little bit of that?
Speaker 3: I thought you were gonna say, now, if you just take a finger, uh moonshine cast or here's what ails you.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you that that stuff has such a unique you need to I mean you need patent it or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some commercial application. I'm not sure what it is.
Speaker 3: Well, I was wondering if the lights went out, if we could just light it on fire, and the.
Speaker 1: Great candle Man, Yeah, next time you come out, we'll have a plan for that job. Phil, cover your ears.
Speaker 2: Phil, y'all awesome.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me. Everybody will, Primos, thank you very much