Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central took them down my show. My name is John Stewart.
Speaker 2: We have a tremendous show planned for you this evening. We have prepared it with the greatest of care, the greatest of love. Our guest tonight a young actor named Carol. Carol Steve Carell. I'm not familiar, but I hear good things.
Speaker 1: But first, last night.
Speaker 2: We poked a little fun at the APEX summit in Beijing for making world leaders wear goofy clothes and displaying what I believe pyrotechnic professionals referred to as fireworks.
Speaker 1: Out the yin Yang. But fairs fair, there were some results.
Speaker 3: President Obama and President Chixhin Ping of China announced a major deal on climate change.
Speaker 4: The world's two biggest polluts agreed to reduce the combin emissions.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. That's I had no idea that was going to happen.
Speaker 2: Less carbon emissions from the two of the world's largest polluters.
Speaker 1: This calls for a celebration.
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: That? No?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: The fireworks thing is actually working. Okay, I think this deal is going to call for a bit of a cultural shift. But listen, this is great, So obviously you can't do anything real about the environment without China on board, which brings us to our next issue.
Speaker 3: Chinese gangs are being accused of smuggling huge amounts of ivory from Tanzania with the help of Tanzania, as.
Speaker 7: Chinese embassy staff were major buyers of their ivory. The consignments of ivory were sent to China in diplomatic bags on the presidential plane.
Speaker 2: Ivory sent and diplomatic bags.
Speaker 1: What's that in my bag?
Speaker 8: No, no, no, it's not an elephant tusk.
Speaker 1: It's a giant dildo, not made of ivory.
Speaker 2: I have a thing for incredibly oversized ringd dildo. So if you excuse me, the punisher and I have to catch a plane. How could you, China providing a market for illegal poachers. I don't know how you China can even look at yourself and your incredibly intricately carved gilded ivory mirrors. What kind of solace and moral country would be the largest retail market for ivory.
Speaker 9: The United States is the second largest retail market for elephant ivory.
Speaker 4: Hella, wait, how can that possibly be unless the eye stands for ivory?
Speaker 1: I always thought it was white plastic.
Speaker 2: Needless to say, our insatiable hunger for ivory trinkets you enjoy that.
Speaker 1: Our insatiable hunger for ivory.
Speaker 2: Trinkets is having a catastrophic impact on the ivory's original owners.
Speaker 9: One hundred thousand elephants were killed for their tasks over just three years. The animals have reached a tipping point, with more elephants killed each year than those being born. If it continues, they'll be wiped out.
Speaker 2: All right, it's clear we've got two options people. Either we as humans can decrease our consumption of ivory by no longer buying trinkets we don't even need. Our elephants can lose this to your gestation thing and start shooting out pumps like a T shirt.
Speaker 1: Canny, I mean, chop, chop elephants. Your careers can wait, Come on, start, come on.
Speaker 2: Look, clearly, we're not gonna save elephants because it's the right thing to do.
Speaker 1: That's just not us.
Speaker 2: So sweeten the pot. What's in it for us? The tusk lists terrorist.
Speaker 3: Groups have another source of fast cash to buy guns and fund the rest of their illegal activities. They're slaughtering African elephants. And selling the Ivory tusks for a lot of money.
Speaker 8: Only one point six tusks would be required to fund the spectacular double terrorist attack on two embassies in East Africa.
Speaker 2: So you're saying saving elephants can actually keep us from being victims in terrorist attacks. I mean, if we'll take off our shoes at air where it's to prevent terrorism, surely we can stop buying souvenir Ivory figurines made in the likeness of the Ivory donor. Apparently, Ivory money is funding almost every civil war, genocidal militia, and terrorist group in Africa, from Al Shabab to Boko Haram. You may be saying to yourself in the US ban Ivory imports. It's like nineteen eighty nine, to which I would say, oh, you have a research team too, because I was not aware of that, but we did. We did ban it. But that'll be tusk size loopholes in it.
Speaker 1: To me, brother, you've.
Speaker 7: Been able to walk the streets of New York and find Ivory for sale, and if you're a cop and say I think you're Ivory's illegal, the first thing that the Ivory seller will say to you is no, no, no, mine is antique.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's antique. Antique.
Speaker 2: Ivory is grandfather, And that's the loophole. People pretend things are antique.
Speaker 1: Guess what. That's not how our laws work for anything else.
Speaker 2: You can't say, oh, g officer, that cocaine was purchased by my grandmother in nineteen twelve.
Speaker 1: So I think we're good here.
Speaker 2: You know what, back then, people were polite, they had respect. Would you like the cocaine? That's why Earlier this year, the Obama administration proposed a new ban on all commercial ivory sales within the United States and stricter documentation requirements for antiques.
Speaker 4: The new regulations, they effectively changed the burden approof.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right.
Speaker 7: It shifts the burden of proof from the government to the holder of the ivory to prove any ivory they have is antique.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, Democrats are going to support these rules. There's no animal they won't protect. It's why thousands of seven year old's heads have been set aside as national life preserves. But Republicans, Republicans except new regulation from the Obama administration, even one designed to save their beloved mascot.
Speaker 8: You have terrorists and rubble groups capitalizing on this trade.
Speaker 1: We need very aggressive action.
Speaker 10: I just find it horrendous that people are doing this in the twenty first century.
Speaker 1: Nail these people.
Speaker 2: We have just witnessed something rarer in nature than the African elephant. Bipartisan commitment to an issue.
Speaker 1: No, it makes sense, It makes total sense.
Speaker 2: Elephants get preserved, terrorists get denied funding.
Speaker 1: What kind of an asshole would be opposed to it?
Speaker 11: What we are first doing is trying to defeat this ivory band.
Speaker 1: Oh an NR asshole? Oh nra.
Speaker 2: Is there anything that you won't try to kill that keeps other things from being killed?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Why would you be against something that keeps illicit money out of the hands of terrorists.
Speaker 4: It's also a firearms issue, but it's really an issue for anybody who has ivory.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. This investment that you just inherited is worthless.
Speaker 11: It's going to drive the price of ivory up.
Speaker 5: Make the owner's criminal designed to hurt Americans.
Speaker 2: So I guess the only things that should be hurt here are giant land mammals and victims of African terrorism. Look, you know what, why you're not sitting around in the studio yacking on the radio that can't put a dent on this just and powerful by partisan congressional resolve, no lawmaker is going to take debait.
Speaker 5: For those who are concerned that this administration is trying to take away our guns, well this regulation could actually do that. I've introduced legislation S. Twenty five eighty seven, the Lawful Ivory Protection Act of twenty fourteen, to stop this misguided policy from going forward.
Speaker 2: See this is why we can't have nice things.
Speaker 1: Like elephants. We'll be right back. What about the show?
Speaker 2: I know, you know, we cover a lot of bad news. Let's look at something that's good. But America from the great state of.
Speaker 12: Minnesota, community organizers were on the ground in their neighborhoods, canvassing to encourage people to get out and vote. One of the volunteers, the woman you see here in a purple hoodie sweatshirt, is Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges. She's posing for a photo with another volunteer named Novelle Gordon.
Speaker 1: You know what, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: It's grassroots democracy at its finest.
Speaker 1: Or to put that another way.
Speaker 10: This is a photo of Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges arm in arm with a man flashing what law enforcement agencies tell us is a known gang sign for a North Side gang.
Speaker 1: That's a gang sign.
Speaker 2: All this time, I've been the lead in for a notorious gang member.
Speaker 1: Terrible. You know what, I don't want that gang member. I want that guy gone by the end of the year. Anyway.
Speaker 2: KTSP Eyewitness News five is taking.
Speaker 1: This story very seriously.
Speaker 2: Tonight, law enforcement sources alerted us to a photo that has them fuming over the actions of Minneapples mayor Betsy Hodges.
Speaker 10: They want to know why the mayor would take a picture with a convicted criminal while he and the mayor flashing gang signs.
Speaker 2: I think it's obvious it's to warn clown ass bitches not to snatch. Since it's just not a sentence, I say, a lot in trouble. How on earth can the mayor's office explain this blatant endorsement of criminal activity.
Speaker 10: A spokesperson concludes by saying, quote, she and the man in the photo are just pointing at one another, to which the head of the police union says.
Speaker 1: She's been around long enough, she knows better.
Speaker 8: Come on, She's held elective office since two thousand and five, whereas pointing as a gesture only goes back to literally.
Speaker 2: The very first form of human communication. By the way, that, of course, oh, do not encourage notorious gang kingpin.
Speaker 1: Huggy d all Right.
Speaker 2: Samara Betsy Hodges was doing voter registration work with a man who wasn't in a gang and was brazenly flashing a not gang sign.
Speaker 1: So how does this get painted as a gang thing?
Speaker 12: One month ago, she took a strong position on law enforcement and community relations. She wrote this in an open letter to the community. Quote, some officers abuse the trust that is afforded to them and take advantage of their roles to do harm rather than prevented.
Speaker 1: Oh, I get what this is about. This isn't so much.
Speaker 2: About the mayor flashing this sign I a supposed gang member, as it is about the police union flashing.
Speaker 1: This sign, not the mayor.
Speaker 2: Not anyway, The cops are mad because the mayor criticized their conduct, so when they came across this picture, they told that everyone that it was actually this picture, which means, unfortunately, it's time to once again update our list of innocent things black people do that look suspicious.
Speaker 1: Hold on, hold on, here we go.
Speaker 2: Don't wear a hoodie, don't carry skittles, don't carry keys, don't reach for a wallet, don't drive in a car in a nice neighborhood, don't drive in a car, don't be a passenger at a car, don't knock on a white person's door. And now don't point, which, of course, for God's sakes, means black people. Whatever you do, stay away from sporting events.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: What about if I got fini ah, A gentleman has a new film out called Fox Catcher.
Speaker 1: He's welcome back to the program.
Speaker 6: Steve Carell, you cannot to explain something to me.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna need some help there. I'm gonna need some help there.
Speaker 2: So I go, and this is something and I don't mean in no way to be disrespectful. I go to see the movie Fox Catcher. I see the movie Fox. It's a brilliant movie. It's a wonder them of the performances are incredible.
Speaker 1: You're not in it. No, I don't see. I watched the whole thing.
Speaker 2: They keep telling me, Steve Carell, he's great in this. You won't believe it. He's so good.
Speaker 1: I know you. You're not in this movie. No, I am not you weren't in that clip. I looked all over the thing.
Speaker 2: There is a gentleman in it who is phenomenal, but.
Speaker 1: I've never tell me about that.
Speaker 2: He plays this character DuPont, who is sort of a twisted He's an eccentric rich He plays.
Speaker 1: It, he inhabits it. He doesn't play it.
Speaker 2: It's not even acting, it's being it.
Speaker 11: Does he disappear?
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something.
Speaker 2: I'm watching it with al Pacino, Al and I went to the movie and Al turns to me and he says, in the middle of it, I don't know who that guy is, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Quitting because that guy is so acting. What would they call it? Good acting? Good acting?
Speaker 2: It's it's ridiculous, dude, did you have any when you watch it?
Speaker 1: Does it even feel like you? Does it?
Speaker 2: Do you even remember it? It's it's an incredible pickre it was.
Speaker 11: I'll admit it was weird. It was weird. He went away for three months and that was three hours every day getting into that stuff, and it was strange. I mean, this is a real guy and we modeled it after this real guy.
Speaker 2: But the gestures of the voice, everything, and it doesn't feel you know, sometimes you can watch a movie and you go, oh, look at that guy acting showing the acting.
Speaker 1: It doesn't feel like that at alls.
Speaker 2: It's it's like an inhabiting And you were here for years and I never thought you were talented. I mean you were, you were you know, we we'd have you out there. You're eating crisco, you're getting drunk, you're in shorts, you're.
Speaker 1: You know why didn't you say anything?
Speaker 11: I tried, but you would never listen to me. Can I just say I saw John Stewart's.
Speaker 1: Move, Yes, he did see that.
Speaker 11: It is equally, yes, remarkable and fantastic, fantastic.
Speaker 1: Let's have you know what we should do?
Speaker 13: What we do.
Speaker 1: Here's what we should do is let's have a fawn off. A fawn off.
Speaker 2: All right, you're acting Shakespeare from the Grave, got an erection? Watch in your movie.
Speaker 11: I have never seen a director achieve in any movie in history what you were able to achieve in the movie Rose Watch.
Speaker 13: It.
Speaker 11: No, honestly, honestly, it is it is. I know you're trying to you're blocking John fuck because you don't you don't want you don't want me to embarrass you.
Speaker 1: No, I'm very fantastic, Thank you so much, you know what.
Speaker 2: He came to see it in Tell Your Ride, and I have to say it was the first time we showed it to a crowd. It was so when I saw Steve come out through the crowd, it really did like I got like watery, like you came up and I was just like, I know you, like.
Speaker 11: It was like what are we doing?
Speaker 1: And no oxygen? Did you know? Had you been to Tell Your Ride previously? No?
Speaker 7: I had.
Speaker 2: It's fifty thousand feet above sea levels. Yeah, I felt like you tell me if you felt like this when I got off. There's like gondolas that take you places because you can't walk, and I remember not being able to breathe, but everybody else was walking. You felt like I was in a science fiction movie.
Speaker 11: Yeah, everybody was fine.
Speaker 1: Everybody's walking around and you need a mask.
Speaker 11: You need some sort of oxygen masks to walk around up.
Speaker 2: There, right, And I wanted to grab people and go, don't you see they're suffocating us?
Speaker 11: Yeah, you just have a perpetual headache up there.
Speaker 2: Beautiful though it is, we think or maybe that was a hallucination.
Speaker 1: The when when you when you.
Speaker 2: Go through this process though, and you inhabit something like this and it's a dark place for three months. And you are not a dark individual. I've known you for a very long time. You are not right now this or or or what question do you want to answer? It's really up to you. It's up to you, whatever question. But do you understand you know, you're just a good person. I would think it's difficult to live in that for a while.
Speaker 11: It was strange and I'm actually we shot it in Pittsburgh, and I'm glad I went home on the weekend. But it is a weird thing. And not to sound too actory or methody, but you kind of stay in it. Not like I was walking around in character the whole time, but you sort of you stay in that tone and it's pretty heavy and it's dark.
Speaker 2: Kids are still too there's too young to see this.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, no, they wouldn't. It would not be a good It wouldn't be a good thing to see dad doing that.
Speaker 2: You know it's going to be awesome though, when they're like eighteen and they're acting up a little bit and you go give in this room, put on the DVD.
Speaker 1: Player and I'll sit behind and going, well.
Speaker 2: I gotta tell you, it's remarkable. And I'm going to say this, and I know you don't want to hear it, but here's how good it was. Oscar the statue will open his arms and embrace Steve Carrell.
Speaker 1: Put that on the post here. It is Your moment.
Speaker 13: Is that Karen Hag plans to fight the two hundred and thirty dollars tickets you got on Halloween Day, accused with dozens of the drivers of not stopping to let a six foot four Donald Duck across the street.
Speaker 10: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 1: Get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on fairmounth plus. This has been a Comedy Central podcast show