Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Deepest blew It. My zight is like a shark's trend. Uh, that's courtesy of Salvador Jolly.
Speaker 2: We haven't done that before. You know what, It's familiar, it doesn't matter, it's relevant.
Speaker 3: My zight is like my zight is like a shark's trend.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, my credit is like a shark site.
Speaker 3: My trend is like a Zark site.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Whatever, we'll modulate, We'll modulate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm jack that over there, Miles, great, thank you, thank you, And uh, these are some of the things that are trending.
Speaker 3: Gen z is killing the bar tab Yep.
Speaker 4: You fucking hate to fucking see this, but uh, there was a thing going on Twitter yesterday where I'm just gonna read this tweet and then we will we will talk about the debate that this kicked off. This is from at Will's Willie Staley tweeted, got the bar last night? The zoomers were all paying with credit cards and closing out on every round.
Speaker 2: This is psycho behavior.
Speaker 4: Someone needs to teach these children how to go to the bar.
Speaker 2: Okay. So there were plenty of people that agreed with this take.
Speaker 4: While many others, especially from abroad, were like, this is how you pay.
Speaker 2: For drinks at a bar every time?
Speaker 4: Y And I totally get that tabs can make things easier for servers, like I've managed bars. I totally get that, like having to run over to your POS system, like every transaction can.
Speaker 2: Hold shit up.
Speaker 4: But that would be the one semi valid criticism of this I could think of, would be consideration for the server or bartender. But what the fuck is wrong with not wanting to start a tab?
Speaker 1: Well, you don't get to drink as much mouse, Well, can't drink as much as fast, Okay, so that's annoying.
Speaker 2: I definitely need to come to defend the youth here.
Speaker 3: Uh the youth down, well, they don't drink as much alcohol. Yeah, is their fucking problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 4: So when I was their age aka broke as absolute shit, I bought each drink because I knew it.
Speaker 2: I knew all like fucking.
Speaker 4: Down to the scent, what every drink was doing to my fucking bank account because like the fact that I would be.
Speaker 2: Out, I was like, oh boy, we're fucking doing it. Huh.
Speaker 4: And every time I fucking started a tab, I had The most buyer's remorse I've ever had in my life would be like looking at the bill at then and I go, oh, fuck, bro, I don't have fucking sixty five dollars to spend on alcohol tonight.
Speaker 2: What the fuck am I doing? So I get it from that standpoint.
Speaker 4: And also I tend to be forgetful when I get drunk back then, especially so what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never heard of such a thing.
Speaker 4: So I you know, I fucking I've left my card at the bar more than I would like to remember. So again, paying each time can help alleviate this problem. So I still failed to see why people are arising at this level of like vitriolic commentary. To label it did like kunko regrettable behavior.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would Uh.
Speaker 1: I used to bring a flask of vodka into the bar with me and then to order and then pour it poured in as that was the only time that I was able to exercise anything approaching restraint because I was, uh what's known as a drinking problem. Yeah, and you got it. Started out paying for every drink, Great, great idea.
Speaker 3: Do that you're able to keep track of it.
Speaker 1: You get in the habit of not leaving your card somewhere and then having to go back the next.
Speaker 3: Day before it's open. What a nightmare. You see all the all the little flies.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, and you realize how sticky the floor has been.
Speaker 3: The whole time.
Speaker 2: You're like and like, what we're not open? Like the guy who forgot his card? Oh yeah, yeah, you got to charge.
Speaker 1: All right, that's fine man, already you didn't realize the reason the music is so loud so you can't hear your feet sticking.
Speaker 2: To the bar.
Speaker 4: But honestly, the person who was so pressed that they had to tweet about it like this comes off off as someone It just comes off as someone who's like existentially dreading the behavior. Well, it just sounds like too that they dread the moment that they realize they are washed, right, because the whole thing is like he's coming for them, Like someone show these children how to go to the bar, as if you're talking about how to go to the bathroom or something like.
Speaker 2: Can you show them how to go to the bar?
Speaker 4: I think anyone that has this much time to label not opening a tab like with like and being like this is something we're talking about.
Speaker 2: That's the that's the behavior you want to avoid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, he's just practicing the fraternity ritual hazing mixed in with binge drinking that has never gotten anyone in trouble or been a negative And no.
Speaker 2: No, and it sounds like I wonder it was. This was tweeted at six fifty six am, too, Willie. So you had a lot of you had a lot of thoughts.
Speaker 1: Man, good, look, I wish I had that restraint when I was younger.
Speaker 3: Everything would have been better.
Speaker 1: So yeah, if you if you're doing every drink on the tab check out, good for you.
Speaker 4: Thanks, thank you for that two thousand and eight recession, because it truly truly limited my ability to fucking just leave earth with substances I had to buy.
Speaker 3: And did a lot of damage O three to eight two my solf unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well we're here, we're here, We're here, all right.
Speaker 1: Maui is facing a horrifying natural disaster. It's the worst natural disaster to hit Hawaii in thirty years. Wildfires have just basically engulfed Maui and it's I guess not one that I had traditionally associated with the state, But obviously everything is different now. Walls of flam and fire in every direction. Some of the videos are truly horrifying, and I just like I had this experience this morning where I went to the website Hawaii News Now that was you know, linked off of the front page of the Drudge Report. You know, it is the top story on.
Speaker 3: The Drudge Report. They're linking off to Hawaii News Now.
Speaker 1: And like the page is just absolutely fucking choked with like banner ads and like pre roll ads, and like just this is something that I've like come to just expect, Right, it's just like background noise, just the price of like doing business on the Internet. But I guess the I think it's you know, the book we talked about on Monday's episode, the Ministry for the Future, Like that that becomes a thing where they like have a more socialists Internet where people actually like own their own information and you know, just like a bunch of cool ideas where you are not a commodity that is constantly being like marketed to and.
Speaker 2: Not a feeding frenzy of surveillance capitalism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And so I was just viewing it, you know, as we're seeing this horrifying result of climate change happen. It's it's both a wildfire and then wins from a nearby hurricane combining to do this. It's just it just made me realize, I guess again that like, while we take it for granted that the Internet is completely.
Speaker 3: Broken and fucked, like, it's not normal.
Speaker 1: It's not like like were there is a possibility there is a world where when you go to a page to get information about an emergency, you don't have to like sit through a Farmville ad to watch like videos of the newscasters like telling you what to do, or like you don't have to like differentiate the article the related articles that are actually about the crisis that you were trying to survive from.
Speaker 3: Like there are one, two, three, four.
Speaker 1: Ten, eleven, eleven video articles that are just like choked, like just sprinkled throughout this article. It's like, you know, Tommy Chung the horrifying truth about CBD, and it's like sponsored content about like his CBD right, oh his is better. A lot of tonight iss stuff, a lot of it's.
Speaker 4: Just you know, it's wild because like if you if you're actually scrolling the page, the article is actually finishing about a third of the way down. If you look at the scroll bar, on the side. Everything after that is all just horseshit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what if the US had not entered in nineteen forty one, Like it's a map.
Speaker 2: Say wear a sweatsuit for this reason.
Speaker 3: Right, huh, Yeah, it's just clickbait.
Speaker 1: It's just so much bullshit that Yeah, I mean we we live truly live in the era of the bullshit economy. And like, I think a lot of this isn't news to anyone, but it's more of just like a oh, it's worth like stopping and like realizing that it's not okay to be living in a world where like you know, by the way, like nine one one is like down across Hawaii. So I'm like people are going to the internet like find out what's happening, and uh, you know, it's just a complete fucking word salad of marketing bullshit.
Speaker 4: Right where again, we're living in a world like where we're trying to get vital information that has bearing on people's safety. I think something like six people have already died, like in the fire and Maui. And then the just absurdity of getting like, hey, you want to play this Hawaiian farm game farm sim game before you can even actually just get to the fucking news clip to understand what is happening in your world. Is like a really really good example of how we're just like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've just trying to get inform.
Speaker 1: It like doesn't need to be like for obvious reasons like there this this is a great example of like humans serving capitalism, whereas like it's supposed to be that like these tools that we create actually serve us and help help us solve problems or help us find out reliable information during the course of an emergency.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyways, all right, let's.
Speaker 2: Take a quick break.
Speaker 3: We'll come back.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about suits, and we're back. And I uh, I was curious about streaming ratings like that. That was something that you remember, we went through a little patch during the pandemic where we're like, well, the only thing that anyone's doing is streaming things, right, so let's pay attention to that. And there was like an upgrade where like Nielsen started tracking this a little bit more effectively and then but you just never hear anybody talk about it, and it's it's just weird to me that like nobody pays attention to it. Like so there's for instance, we looked at the top ten. The number one show by I think at least double in terms of minutes streamed this week is Suits.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Suits was canceled in twenty nineteen, and it's still this like massive show. And it's just weird that like one of the biggest thing, like biggest works of media entering people's brain in our culture is doing so invisibly, you know, like I guess it's not invisible because they serve you ads like on your Roku or you know, if you if your Apple TV is like set to do that like cycle thing or you're Smart TV, like they'll probably show you Suits ads.
Speaker 3: But other than that, like nobody like writes.
Speaker 1: About it that there used to be just a whole media economy that was like, well, this is a hit show and therefore we like the cast will be on the cup of a magazine this week or something like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so we do have a producer on the show, super producer Bee, who is a Suits watcher, and we wanted to ask them on to tell us just what what are we missing? What is the world missing not knowing that Suits is the biggest show since Friends.
Speaker 4: And first of all, people don't realize Bee is fucking cool. Okay, is really cool, and they're a musician, they DJ they got fucking funky ass tattoos. I'm all that shit cool. That shit looked like a hurt, but it's about the art. And then so when Bye, when you said I'm back on Suits, I was like, what the fuck, babe?
Speaker 2: What is fuck? Wait? What is the appeal of Suits? Exactly?
Speaker 4: Because I always knew it as like a meme show that people are like, it's that show. Nobody knows what the fuck it's about, but bring us into your world, Bay, what's up with Suits?
Speaker 5: All? Right? So I actually watched Suits like when it first came out, So I was like waiting for the picture, you know, every week, you know, when I.
Speaker 3: Was in school on USA? Is that right?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah? And then you know, everybody forgot about it because like every show, it always like it's good for like two seasons, two threes, and then like it gets so repetitive, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I'm not saying this show.
Speaker 5: Doesn't do that, but I think you know what's crazy is I feel like I'm reminiscing for a world before COVID.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, and you were watching.
Speaker 5: I did, I never really understood, like I guess some gen I don't know gen Z or the people after that, like I think they actually romanticize the twenty tens. I didn't even realize this until I heard about it recently, and I was like, what the I feelings in twenty tens were so whack, right, you know?
Speaker 2: Right right? Yeah, and not a lot of I don't remember a lot about it, not almost.
Speaker 5: It's like, but it's interesting to watch it as like a time capsule, you know, because it was it started in twenty eleven and then it ended right.
Speaker 2: Before in twenty nineteen, right, and it's like.
Speaker 5: It's just interesting to see kind of the culture, how different it was because for them, like weed was like the biggest drug.
Speaker 3: That like you know, like Moss was.
Speaker 5: Like selling you know in the beginning, and you know that you know.
Speaker 3: That was like so bad character.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's like the main character.
Speaker 1: It suits and he and he suits and he deals drugs and the drug he deals those weed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when you know, like the Williamsburg Hips your Revolution, you know, it kind of like it kind of shows you a bit of that, you know, And so I don't know, to me, it's almost like this world that I really wish that we could still be living in, but I guess it's not anymore. I feel like now in the twenty twenties, like things just seem very like way more saturated in color and just like I don't know, even like the writing I feel in suits I really like because it's like you get people kind of like talking together in direct conversation, and it's more about like the punchiness of like each line.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: Now, It's like I feel like I'm watching a show and I'm like I already have ADHD and it's making it worse, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, right, right kind of thing? Got it? Yeah? That makes sense?
Speaker 6: I mean it.
Speaker 4: I feel like a lot of the shows that I would sort of just binge watch mouth a gape were like pure escapism for nostalgia, you know what I mean. Like, yes, I remember when this show first came out and how much I liked it. It's this is soothing rather than looking at our current time.
Speaker 2: So well, let me make a cast here.
Speaker 1: Gabrielle mocked, Oh and he's hot, Patrick j Adams, the aforementioned Michael Roth, and then Megan Duchess of Sussex is how they have it written on the thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, piece to that last name, you are now the Duchess of Sussex. I mean this is all just kind of again, streaming is so big but also so broken that Yeah, they're all of these companies are just deficit spending to make all this content, and what.
Speaker 1: Good for them to have just a news cycle that is like, did you guys know suits is massive?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Because talk about suits because that takes away power from them and gives it back to the people who make the art.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: And what they did was they completely shifted gears to what kind of subscriber growth can you demonstrate month over month? And that became the language of Wall Street for these these companies. So when they fuck up on the subscriber part, that's when you start seeing the punishment come from the shareholders, right for being like, well, where's my fucking growth? And because it's all completely shifted there, it's just become this like you know, as one anonymous executive said, they believe it's like quote, it's like the entire system has snapped. Another person just has described as I think we may be in the world's biggest ponzi.
Speaker 2: Scheme, right, yeah, because it's all we don't know. We still don't know what the real numbers are.
Speaker 4: Like there's Nielsen ratings that you can you can glean from people having meters on their TVs, but the networks seldom or if ever, it's so opaque they can never get a view into like how much is actually being consumed or not consumed because I know that's a double edged sword for sture. That's why they don't really want to be open about that either because that would either indicate to the creators they're like, yeah, we owe y'all a fuck ton of money based on how much this shit is streaming, or don't fucking let the shareholders find out that it's fucking a fraction of what they think the actual viewing time is or so you know. So it's uh, and everyone's just kind of caught in the middle watching bland as it.
Speaker 1: Seems like it's also a factor of the thing we were talking about with the Internet being broken in there, you know there there aren't web like people don't use like websites anymore. So like the thing I'm talking about where like these people would be on the front of magazines, like magazines in theory we're supposed to be replaced by websites, but like that whole ecosystem is just completely fucked and brothers don't exist. So it's just there's like no media to do the service of being like here's what you guys apparently like, and here's more information on the thing you like, and like, here's a story about why you like it. It's just like that doesn't that that has gone away, Like we've just lost media made for people and yeah, it's just all like yeah, I mean you can find the top ten streaming things here on this Nielsen website and like that that's basically it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and yeah, again, like the whole model just became for all these studios take our shit off of Netflix, where we were getting wild ass licensing deals already making millions, and then putting it on our own platform that we now have to spend billions to get off the ground programming original content and then hope this shit works out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, spoiler alert, it has not.
Speaker 4: And now again all of these austerity measures, because a lot of companies are in over their skis with this original content, are.
Speaker 2: Like, shit, man, we got to figure out how to fucking pay people less, make less.
Speaker 1: And I just I think the biggest problem facing the world is that entertainment weekly doesn't exist anymore, I think, is what I'm getting at. And oh wow, we don't need we need more big entertainment weekly to come back and tell us all what is cool?
Speaker 4: I know, because now it's all digital. You know, we missed it when you could see the cast of Friends and being like Millionaires Forever.
Speaker 1: The Lincoln Lawyer that shows number two overall, and like that's an original one, that's like Netflix original ip that I don't know, that just doesn't doesn't exist. Like there are plenty of streaming shows, like to the Ponzi scheme point, there are plenty of streaming shows that might as well not exist, right they just like don't they happen. But like there's I forget where I was hearing this. Like somebody was talking about how, oh it was on the John Gabriis podcast Action Boys. They were talking about how like they love address Elba and he is in this new thing as like a hostage negotiator on a hijacked plane, and like it just didn't like that nobody found.
Speaker 3: Out about it. It like might as well not exist.
Speaker 1: It's just yeah, they just happened to find out about it. And also when they clicked on it, it was like ten episodes. It's like a movie premise stretched over ten episodes.
Speaker 6: But yeah, it's I don't know, man, it's it's well when we are we are in the midst of watching it correct itself, so it's I don't know, hold on to your butts.
Speaker 2: As Samuel yeah Ackson has so famously.
Speaker 1: Day, I think it makes sense that people are uh nostalgic for the twenty tens because I think for a while now we're realizing that things have been getting worse and worse. Right, I do just want to say one quick story about how cool Bay is. One of the first team building things that Bay came to was John Wick for and wasn't there.
Speaker 3: Yeah you missed that.
Speaker 1: But the there's scenes in Berlin that happened that are like in the Berlin club scene, and like there's a fun cameo of like Bay. Do you want to explain who the person is the cameo of the person who you like? You're like, oh, yeah, I know them, they're cool, Like I yeah.
Speaker 5: Well so yeah, so there was a cameo of this famous bouncer from berg Kin called his name's Spen.
Speaker 2: Wait is this the club that Elon Musk got turned away from? Yes?
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, yes, and and now I'm on the list so when I got u but yeah, so basically Spen he's like one of the legendary bouncers there. And he's also like a photographer and documentarian. He's just super cool. And yeah he got I guess a role in that film too, like dominate somebody, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just very casually like, oh yeah that's Spin, that's the home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh that's the homie right there.
Speaker 5: He did let me in it to Berkin, I did go, So that was awesome. I got the okay from him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so this is how we say.
Speaker 1: Run now than ever before. Yeah, super yeah, thank you for joining and tell us about your Suit's obsession, no, dude, the fact that you watched suit. All right, Well, those are some of the things that are trending on this Wednesday, August ninth. We are back tomorrow with the whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will EPECTALELL tomorrow, Bye bye