Speaker 1: In today's episode of The Command Center Podcast, we're talking best Washington QB's. We got Sammy Boss, Sonny Jergensen, Joe Thaisman, Doug Williams. Who's the best of all time? We talk about that in great lengths. We'll make you check it out. And who's the best quarterback that we ever played with? Tanna played with fourteen different quarterbacks. Man, it's got a lot of guys to pick from. Who is the most underrated quarterback in Washington football history of the guys that we played with? Our answers might surprise you. And we talked early impressions of Jade Daniels. It all starts right now. Welcome to the Command Center Podcast. I'm Logan Paul, sit here with Fred's Foot and Santana Moss. Guys, so fun to be here with you today. We have our live show coming up June fourteenth, Franklin Hall, DC, seven pm. We will be giving out these shirts, yes right, free merch, yes, so please come by. We will also be giving out the five signed jerseys I believe, right is that right?
Speaker 2: Signed shirts?
Speaker 3: These jersey you can draw a mustache on his face if you.
Speaker 1: Want, Yeah, And I'll sign my big forehead right here. Just sign that right on.
Speaker 4: So Intern Carolina has selected our five winners that sent into that hawk outside at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Thank you, you guys signed it.
Speaker 4: They'll be coming out in the meal soon. But if you come out to the live show, I'm sure you guys wouldn't mind signing.
Speaker 3: The first to Franklin Hall. Y'all gonna love Franklinhall.
Speaker 2: That's some of Hall.
Speaker 1: The draft, the FIRELM went off.
Speaker 3: The firelan went off, the roof was on fire. Nobody live. It was crunk out there. It's a huge place. The food was great.
Speaker 1: Is it like a bar, It's a bar.
Speaker 3: No, it's it's it's more than a bar. I'm telling it. It's the body being. Franklin himself probably parted it in the same team.
Speaker 2: I love telling you. It's worth to visit my friend.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. In addition to the live event, we also have a really cool new podcast coming out called Hail Tails, and it is a kind of recap of the Super Bowl season that team Jason to Guy. Jason produced it. I got to listen to it early. Very good, Jason, nice done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I produce an editor, but Hannah Lichenstein didn't.
Speaker 2: Most she did like the word she interviewed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the first episode is all about the lead up the Super Bowl twenty two with Doug Williams in nineteen eighty seven, and uh man, Hannah put in some work. She got interviews with Joe Gibbs, she got Doug, she got Doug's brother Ricky. Yes, she got Charles man Dexter Manley, and Doug had a emergency dental operation.
Speaker 1: She got the dentists day before the super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, day before she got the dentist to talk about it. Yeah, found the found all these people, they all agreed to do it. So think of like a documentary but podcast.
Speaker 1: It's kind of it's kind of like a football life ish, you know what I'm saying, But about that specific and this.
Speaker 4: Is just the first episode. Got six of them really come out this summer.
Speaker 1: So yeah, if you're a Commander's fan again, I got to get a sneak peak of it. It's it's good stuff and you know, gives a lot of context for the organization that year specifically, and uh show how special some of those people on that team were.
Speaker 2: And dead message was brought to you by just a guy, you know.
Speaker 1: Just a guy Jason, who you guys get to see at the live event, you'll see him in person, just the guy.
Speaker 2: He looks like just a guy like he looks you.
Speaker 5: Told him he looked like he's just a jag.
Speaker 2: No, his hair looks at let's get that correct.
Speaker 1: Got enviable hair for sure.
Speaker 3: But he doesn't like thor after he failed to stop thanos.
Speaker 1: My guy, you me saying that about it?
Speaker 4: Representation matters and I felt seen.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, so we got a kind of a cool show today. Something. I'm excited to see your guys perspective because I'm a young fella, way younger than you guys, even though I look older than Yeah. But we're gonna talk Washington quarterbacks. We're going to kind of tear this out into three sections. We're going to start with who is the best quarterback in Wash in football history? And I'm really curious to see who you guys are gonna say for this. You want to see what it was to start.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's start here. Let's start here.
Speaker 3: You can say who the best, but every generation is going to have their own favorites, and they and people they say the best.
Speaker 1: But I mean, I look at this list we got a list of guys. We got Sammy Ball, Sonny Jergensen, Joe Thighsmen, Doug Williams, Mark Rippon, Billy Kilmer, Kirk Cousins, and Robert Griffin. The thirds on here we got. Also, we got Jason Campbell and Mark Brunel.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I look at this list and one name stands out above all the other names. And maybe it's because, like I'm a history person, But Sammy Ball was mister football. He rushed, he played defense, he played back in the day.
Speaker 2: Interceptions didn't me this one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really wanted to get there. Thank you for that excellently. He played quarterback and had more interceptions in front, So like, what kind of football player?
Speaker 3: But he had more interceptions than this guy had receptions.
Speaker 1: How I'm saying, is that true? Yeah? Thirty seven one year, but it's close.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fact check me, please, because I don't. I don't keep shocking myself. I don't keep shocking that like that. But yeah, so to me, I look at Sammy Vaughan, I'm like, it's got to be him.
Speaker 3: It's you know what I say that, Like, if you talk to the the brain trust of the Washington D, the D and V. A lot of people forget about Sammy Ma because we're talking about not even flow model TV's were talking about a time of black and white TV.
Speaker 1: Is it twenty seven? Jason thirty seven?
Speaker 4: Yeah, in twenty thirteen, hell of a year for you, twenty eight recent twenty eight career high.
Speaker 1: Not thirty seven, but yeah, it's good though, video.
Speaker 4: Not your career hiding yard yards though? Can you touchdowns?
Speaker 2: But it's seventy more kitches than the dead? Come on, man, you can.
Speaker 1: Say that about anybody. You had twenty more more interceptions than a day man like, come on?
Speaker 2: Nah.
Speaker 5: To Fred's point though, getting back to the you know, to the quarterbacks, who we think that's the best. I think when you look at numbers, it jumps out to you that you say, okay, you can say these three names, Uh, Sonny, Thiseman and Dug.
Speaker 6: People look at not not even numbers.
Speaker 5: But when you hear the stories about quarterbacks here because they were there, Yeah it was Sonny that they talk about. It's thise mean that you hear always du you know what I mean. But then when you look at the numbers, then you say, with damn, why don't talk more about Sammy Bob, you know what I mean, because he played too early his numbers and then we just wasn't thinking about that kind of football back and they played without you know what I.
Speaker 1: Mean, dude, one hundred and eighty seven touchdowns, like throwing rush for like he played defense, he played offense, he punted, he returned like he was just like a guy, like like the dude he was.
Speaker 5: He was the I guess then pitting me up what they did back in those days, playing.
Speaker 2: Before his time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they smoked square that halftime. They went out there, they played, they ran kicks back as a quarterback, they played dB as a quarter had a real job and they had they worked at a fact they left there. That was the iron man type of type of football player back in those days.
Speaker 1: And also have you seen him give an interview by the way, like like some of the old interviews on the file, have you heard No.
Speaker 2: He's wild, Yeah he is wild, idiot.
Speaker 1: He's like he's given an interview for NFL now just a couple years ago. He's got a big old dip in, yeah, spitting, he's on his front porch. The dog starts sparking. He just smacks the hell out of the dog, like he was a different kind of dude.
Speaker 2: He was to do.
Speaker 3: I have to say this because watching from the South and understanding that the Cowboys and the Washington team the rivalry, I thought you couldn't play for this team unless your name was Joe. Like everybody that was named Joe that had something to do with it. And you know, Joe has one of those games, one of those football names.
Speaker 2: Joe Thie mean.
Speaker 1: Like I'm shotting football face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just sticks.
Speaker 3: Like so when I think a quarterback to me personally, now I know everybody, like I say, everybody got that guy, My guys, Joe thighs, me, my guy, Joe Thighs. Not only because he was a great quarterback, he also ran back punts And it's that big what if stigma? What if he doesn't get hit by Lawrence Taylor at that yard line and get he brings all of these records.
Speaker 2: Look at his numbers.
Speaker 1: Also, yeah, just just see, like can you look up. He had a couple of years where he was just like the dude in the NFL No like thirty touchdowns, He's like thirty five hundred yards passing like he was crushing it. And again I.
Speaker 5: Thought, so no, because I want he's he's doing his research thing. Look up his real pronunciation of his last name. He shared that with us. His last name isn't pronounced than it was thievesman, and he said.
Speaker 6: They gave it because he just ran because.
Speaker 2: It looks like the word heisman.
Speaker 3: This is how I came, like, they want to change my name to smut if we're gonna get me five.
Speaker 1: But that's a good point though, because like when I growing up and you know Joe Thaisman, I was like, man, no, yeah, he must have been a baller because it's the Heisman, you know what I mean, It's like the But again, like he was extually I think the reason people knock him. And I don't want to speak on this because I don't know that much about it. But then he was kind of on. He was a passenger, so to speak. Those teams are running the football a lot, played good defense.
Speaker 2: You don't have these numbers passing. These numbers are beyond game manager.
Speaker 5: But you got a thing too. He was a different type of quarterback. He was like the the Steve young.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: Basically he can run the ball. Yeah he can, of course, he can run the ball.
Speaker 6: He ran back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you know, I still have a hard time believing that. That's why because it's just like it's just like you and because he ain't right, That's exactly what I'm saying. He's not Tim d.
Speaker 2: White.
Speaker 1: Like it's just like the idea that you couldn't that your quarterback, you're starting quarterback, was your best returner. It's like I can't wrap my head around here.
Speaker 3: Well, Lamar Jackson could be the best return the Ravens right now. So all I'm saying is Thaisman had those years where one it was a lot of success around the team. Two he felt looked seemed like a franchise quarterback. Three, Like I say, it's something about a quarterback with that Joe Montana.
Speaker 2: I didn't like that name. That just it echoes. It just worked.
Speaker 3: Then it was like Joe working with Joe, Joe Gills working with Joe Thig.
Speaker 2: It was just like it was with Joe Ja Kobe.
Speaker 3: It was like nine Joe's on the team at the time, like it was the thing to And I just like that it fits, it works.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the other thing about him I think is like he's he's such like a pillar of the like he comes around the building and it's like, oh Joe, like man, he.
Speaker 2: Always just come doing that forever.
Speaker 5: And we used to be coming off the field and I go to be I'm sure I'm beating there in a shower, and then that'd be be in a shower.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Doing his.
Speaker 2: Popping up in every Thursday.
Speaker 5: So that had been one of those guys that he had that green light, you know what I mean, Like it don't matter what he needed to use, He's gonna come here, he's gonna eat with, he gonna heat work.
Speaker 6: Guy he did. He did what he wanted and.
Speaker 1: Also a great guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah great.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think there's an interesting And the other one that I think is really interesting is Sonny because like when you look at when Sonny played, he was like the first like a real air raid guy. Yeah, and his number. I remember looking up his stats last year. He had a year where he had I think it was thirty six hundred yards passing, thirty seven touchdowns something like that, and it was better than I think.
Speaker 2: It was thirty four ofthet of league.
Speaker 1: He he would have been the fifth quarterback in passing now, yeah, you know what I'm saying. And he had a seventy perccond like his the numbers were very modern in terms of how they looked, and I think like for a guy that like, you know, we talked about Sammy Ball like all he did as a football player, right, talk about Joe this when the Super Bowls, the leadership, the playmaking ability, kind of the ly fit. But then when I look at Sonny like he was an innovator from a past game standpoint, and then that's all him, that's you know, like.
Speaker 2: But you can't say Sonny without saying Billy Kilmer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talked me about it.
Speaker 3: It's this theme with those two where the fan base had to choose, like it kind of separates.
Speaker 1: You do you know the history of it? Can you walk me through a little because I'm not familiar.
Speaker 2: Wasn't Kim Er the starring quarterback? First? Yeah, Kim went to star heard and now in sunny Field then and.
Speaker 3: Something and then you know, if you let me fill in, you might so Brady where it was half of southeast d C is all about Sonney in Northeast DC is all about Kim. So it was a theme with those And I remember when I first guy here, we used to have this couch just right there in highway Sonny every day and Sam Huff Yeah. And I used to go sit right between them and listen to some of these stories.
Speaker 1: They are both. Those guys are tremendous story.
Speaker 5: A great store intellerate, the old person magnet, you know, a little old person.
Speaker 3: Right next to the look because I feel like old people they get they get a knowledge up for free. They don't, they don't even they just offered it up. And I just love people, and I love to sit back and talk to them. But when you say Sonny, you got to say Billy Kilm because right there separated fan base.
Speaker 1: Do you think that there's any conversation about Kilmer being better than Sonny statistically?
Speaker 2: Statistically? No, I want to.
Speaker 1: Look at that again. I'm not a I'm not I'm a fan of Washington, but I'm not like a historyan I am, you know, and I think the and I think just looking at statistics, looking at the film, looking at his impact on the game. Obviously Sonny's impact was bigger, you know what I'm saying. But I just was wondering if the fans, like Ki was first.
Speaker 2: Like said, they go to theme you got realized.
Speaker 3: We talked about when this team moved from Boston, like this team used to be in Boston. Like when this team moved from Boston, I think Kim was a part of the team then. So it's like kind of like that's their first person that they identified with, you know.
Speaker 1: And the other thing about Sonny is the broadcast stuff, you know, like just in terms of legacy, you know what I mean, Like he was the voice of the command kind of like John Madden was the NFL. Yeah, Like there's something about that that just makes him kind of linger.
Speaker 2: Through generations generation.
Speaker 5: So Joe thim to Joe Joe Diamond, I was listening to one of my college games, and matter of fact, not even my college game. You know how they had that thing around the draft when they popped up and showed your your your day when you got drafted.
Speaker 6: Joe Diamond was talking about me.
Speaker 5: I'm like, damn, Joe sitting up here breaking me down, you know what I mean. You know, it shows you that some of these guys, we basically was playing the game while they was basically coming us. And I remember Sonny just I laughed. Listened to some of those conversations in the boot with Sonny and Larry and Sonny being three words. He said, three words, and sometimes it'd be the funniest you know, segment or words that came out the whole day, you know what I mean. So now they definitely did great jobs of just covering this team, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Michael, Larry being there like, yeah, Sonny, you know they just took it to the fifty yard that, Oh yeah they did.
Speaker 5: Sonny said, hello, it's one of them. I'm scoring. And Sonny said, I never seen anything like that, And Larry said, well you didn't see the Dallas game.
Speaker 2: Say yeah, yeah, up, son.
Speaker 3: Give me a J nine you know them cigarette you can. Like, anytime I think of Sonny, it's kind of red arabackage, like for for like for the for the Celtics, he's known for the cigarette.
Speaker 1: Sonny is known for the in the lobby too. It wouldn't be smoking it, but just not just chewing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh god, yeah, So Sonny's before my time. But my dad like remembers Sonny. He tell me all all the time, like we need a Sonny Jergens in that Carrea. And so forgive me if I'm not exactly right fans with this, but I believe it was in like seventy three or seventy four, it was Kilmer and Sonny was kind of the debate moving forward, and that's where you got like the I like Sunny lights because in d C people would have I love Kilmer or I love Sonny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really bumper stick because the fan base was it was separated.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize that.
Speaker 2: And Kilmer was more of.
Speaker 4: A conservative quarterback. Again, I didn't ever watch him plays before my.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Sonny was creative and like wow, yeah, yeah, it's funny watching his old highlights, sunny highlights. It is gonna sound crazy, but there's a there's like a Mahomes feel like it is like you know they we're talking about, like he did like a behind the back pass for a touchdown and like the left handed throw rules rules ball away and again like kind of had that. Uh that's special something that I'm sure at the time was probably frustrating for coaches, but now it's like that's what you're looking.
Speaker 3: For me, And it's so fun of how you can have these in house civil wars over like players. But it's only the quarterback position that this happened, because we've seen this happen in the modern days with Kirk and RG three. Like, so we've seen this story play out before, but it never happened with the Wire or he was the tight ends out of DBS.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's an interesting question statistically. So you know, I would kind of put those guys in their own tier. You put Joe, Sonny, Sammy, you could put those in any order. I think we're probably filming, but that's the top tier right in those But the guy that I think is maybe the most interesting two guys, and they're interesting for different reasons. One is Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Because he's the fourth all time leading passer here at the organization. Yeah, and I know people don't really like him, but in terms of good quarterback play, what you mean, I don't like him? You don't think people like him?
Speaker 2: People like they going off their Kirkcaine, They go Kirk the Kirkain'. He did't none to him.
Speaker 1: Like he left though, I think, no, I don't know, because he was here.
Speaker 2: We are we are big, huge supportive.
Speaker 6: I think they didn't feel Kurt won enough.
Speaker 1: We didn't.
Speaker 5: You got to think about it. Kurt put up numbers here, but we didn't win the game. Yeah, we didn't have anything for him to say, well, Kurt took us here, Kurt won, you know, won that on division playoff game, you know what I mean. So that's what what What had people in you know, you know, bumping their gums the way they did when he was you know, I guess you could say it was getting offered that money and he was bent on the self because they're like, well, we don't really need them, we can get somebody else, because he hasn't done anything, but he's he's putting up numbers.
Speaker 2: He's putting up numbers.
Speaker 3: But also his his his business part of the BIS was just so out there. Yeah, and he seemed so stoic, like he seemed like, you know what he paid me, I'm gone not It was.
Speaker 2: No you know, I'm a party, y'all work. You gotta think.
Speaker 6: You got to think too, man.
Speaker 5: The year that r G three had in two tho twelve would never be raced out of those It didn't matter what Kirk did. We was we was hoping that RG. This city was hoping that RG can get back, you know, bump his head and be that guy again. You know, understand, even with RG removed from here, he was in Cleveland at the time, Kurt's the guy.
Speaker 6: They still wanted it more.
Speaker 5: You understand, They're like, well, damn, okay, I see him throwing for this much and that much, but where's the wins?
Speaker 6: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: When is he going to take over a game? So he had that stigma with him for so long here to now seem like to carry him, you know, follow them everywhere he goes, because that's the first thing they say. This's like, well, you got a lot of yards, but where's the wins? Where's the super Bowl?
Speaker 6: For the championship?
Speaker 3: Till he was hearing that because that's how we got the famous phrase you like that there because get what y'all say, I can't win.
Speaker 2: I just won in Week seven?
Speaker 1: You like that? Yeah? And it was a prime time game, right, Yeah. So I think he's in an interesting tier with like Kirk Cousins, Mark Ripping, Doug Williams. Yeah, and again like im how you stack those guys, because Doug, there's the historic element of Doug you won a super Bowl, first African American quarterback to play to start in the Super Bowl. The sensation, I mean, it's there's something that can't be overlooked about that cannot But in terms of numbers, it's not like.
Speaker 3: He can't compare with the rest of them. He has to be with the Jason Campbell's of the world when it comes to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, But it's like there's something and I got I'd probably put him up there because he did win a super.
Speaker 2: But you went, like the one thing super Bowl Trump's all everything.
Speaker 3: I could say that super Bowl Trump's if I had two Russian yards and I have just started running back in the Super Bowl team, I am one of.
Speaker 2: Them, miss running They ever grace to think about it. People think more about Terry Allen. Did they do Stephen Davis? Stephen David was better, had more yards, but we didn't want to.
Speaker 6: Get a better example.
Speaker 5: Nana Swann get more credit than Stalwart, and Stalwart had better player, I think was a better.
Speaker 6: Receiver all over. But Swan made the highlight in the playoffs.
Speaker 5: So you say, for years, I used to be sitting there like man star Wars that guy, and then I looked at it.
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean, Lin Swann's that guy.
Speaker 5: Look at star Ward numbers, I'm like, oh, hold on on, how did this guy go to the program?
Speaker 6: Let me go to the Hall of Fame before this guy when he has the numbers. So at the moment, that's just how this world is wired, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: We're gonna salute the guy who did it in the prime time when everybody, when everything was on the line, then the guy who was consistently doing it.
Speaker 1: You know what, I'm percent agree with you, but I hate that.
Speaker 2: I hate it too, you know, the way to separate the role. I can't stand it.
Speaker 1: Like basketball, and it's like, oh, you know, Michael's better than Lebron James because.
Speaker 6: He won six champions.
Speaker 1: It's like there's a million other reasons you could say why Jordan's better, Like that's like irrelevant.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like there's like a team element there.
Speaker 2: That's the case. Bill Russell is the best player, got Kareem all guys. So I don't love that.
Speaker 1: But again, I understand that. I understand what you're saying. I think that's one hundred percent right now. Again, it's a big deal for the for the organization, for the city, for Ducks. I don't know, do you put him above Kirk?
Speaker 6: Yeah? You won Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I'm saying. I kind of feel that way.
Speaker 2: You can go out here because you gotta look at it.
Speaker 5: Also, you know, like I said, if you're not winning games with those yards that you're putting up, yeah, what did you do?
Speaker 2: Well? Think about this?
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying, Yo, Some of.
Speaker 3: The receiving groups you've been a part of, you pr DJAS more, people say this is one of the top while receiving corps, the course that watch never had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they'll never put you out before the posse. Theos went there and won.
Speaker 1: That's a question though, because like semi ball won two championships, and again that was a million years ago, but Sonny didn't win a champion championship and Joe won a championship.
Speaker 2: So do you Sonny?
Speaker 6: Sonny? Sonny, Sonny, Sonny?
Speaker 2: What's Sonny?
Speaker 3: But I still you know, Joe is my number one pick, like Joe thives mean to me, is the best quarterback to ever play here.
Speaker 5: And Sonny's championship is the yellow jacket, right, I see what you're saying, saying, Yeah, so that's the championship you get. You get to put on one of those you're champion, champion, monks, champion.
Speaker 1: So I don't know that much about mart Ripping, I know. Yeah, so let's talk about him because like he does have a championship. Yeah, do you put him above Kirk?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Hell because of the championship. Because of the numbers. First of all.
Speaker 5: First of all, the only reason when I talking about Mark Ripping right now, because we're talking about Sonny and Sam. But when we talk about the legacy the history of this game, we talk about Doug, Thiseman and Rippkin. You know what I'm saying, this team, this white child. That's when I first got here, I didn't hear nothing. I didn't know Sonny. I didn't know nothing about Sonny until I kind of got here and got settled, and I didn't know anything about Sammy Ball. All I knew something about is Doug Williams. Where it was Joe Thiman first, Doug Williams and Mark Ripping. That's all I heard about when it came because those are the guys that Joe was, the three different quarterbacks that Joe Gibbs won championships with. And Ripken was always a guy that when I was coming up in the you know, watching football, you always heard his name at rip Ripkin like I think he was a baseball player for because Mary Kyle rip there you go, So I knew it was a ripkin playing base.
Speaker 2: A lot of ripping there is it?
Speaker 1: Do you think you this is something I always kind of go back to, like like you know, you go to the go to the old high school game and the old heads are out there and oh, this team is good, but they're not. They're nothing like them eight Lakers, right or whatever, And a little bit because like they grew up watching that. Do you think you a prisoner at the moment you give those guys more points? Seisman Williams ripping because those that's who you guys grew up watching No.
Speaker 6: One championship, one championship.
Speaker 2: That's what it is.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, this city will always be known for the three championships. And if you was a part of that, if you the quarterback or not, those are the game that I seen him say, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Most come on, we would be Mitchell out of time. We start trashing each other out he doing put that. Sometimes they don't know who Mitch is. We walking they be like that and they're like, that's be men, because you do never forget that time, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So it's just one of those things and like like trust me, man, Like I don't envy nothing about you know, no one and what they accomplish. This is but I would have loved to just play, not play, because that planning and is overrated. Win a champion, yeah, I would have loved to win a champion, you know, feeling.
Speaker 1: I was talking about feeling, talking about father on all that side, and it's about this championship thing. And one of the things he said was like, you know, Andy Reid was considered, you know, a good coach, but not a great way because he won the championship. And Kyle's kind of going through that same thing Shanahan right now. He's he's maybe the best coach in the NFL, but he's never He's always going to be a tier below till he wins.
Speaker 6: That hurts him.
Speaker 1: I know it hurts me.
Speaker 5: It hurt me for because I'm a big cal I love everything about Cale Young and when I see him every time he going and I'm like, should I not root for him? Because like I'm rooting for him making him not win, you know, but he's gonna get one. He's one of them coaches up that we're gonna look back on and say damn it took him.
Speaker 2: This just took him along this long Listen to win a championship here.
Speaker 3: I would have loved it, especially if we would have won with Coach Gills being here for the second time.
Speaker 2: He would have let me coordinate that Super Bowl parade. I know, no game chose coordinator. Listen. We would have came down down. You would not You was not even you. Was not a good stand up with the league. I was gonna come down independent. Listen. It was gonna be one one two. Remember I tell you like this.
Speaker 5: They were gonna love smooth for smooth, but boy, you weren't gonna be able to be in charge of nothing after that book.
Speaker 2: Coach Gibbs he always liked because that was my dude. I'm super close with him, Like even when it.
Speaker 1: Was I got a question for you because we had a really cool podcast with Doug Williams. If you heard that, make sure to check it out. But he seems like just a really genuine personal He's in goodard.
Speaker 2: Was he like that with every Yes? Really well, just like any coach.
Speaker 3: You got some players you're a little bit closer to them, but he treated everybody the same.
Speaker 2: He was one of them. Coaches.
Speaker 3: You ain't got a knock to go into his office. Just walk in there, we walk into the field. He talk to you like coach was just more.
Speaker 2: Than a coach. He had the granddaddy effect.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think too, man, When when I learned about you know, him playing for him as much as you love you, You loved him for being a kind hearted, you know, kind of a soft guy. He didn't tolerate that BSc. He wanted nuhing, but he wanted nothing but hard. And I'm gonna say this is the right man. He wanted you to have a birth. He wanted guys to play for him between the white lines. He wanted you to be a different dude. And so you would look at him because he always had these you know. One thing I loved about his stories.
Speaker 2: He was sitting here.
Speaker 5: He would sit there and tell us the story about how great we are to be one of those one percent you know, we one percenters like he like, man, I could never be you guys, But I'm looking at him like coach, Yeah, we could never be right, you know what I mean? Like you the greatest of the greatest, that can put all these guys in one room and lead us to the Promised Land, you know what I mean. And I saw it from watching and then got a chance to play for him, and I'm like, this is why this guy makes things special, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really interesting on the Hails Tales podcast where they talk about was it the eighty seven super Bowl that's coming out July fourth, Like just listening to him talk, he's like he's just very you know, kind of not not like it doesn't have like this great voice, but the attention to detail. And they was talking about a practice they had leading up to the Super Bowls, like them boys were physical. Yeah, and you can just you can hear I can almost hear the clocking of the pads as he was talking, you know what I'm saying. And I was like, there's something about that guy. He can paint a picture, yeah, pain it, yeah, one hundred percent. So okay, let me just this. We're gonna finish up right here is so you said Joe number one to me, right? So where does give you your list? Right now? Go for it? All right?
Speaker 3: I got Joe that is minute number one, all right, all right, Joe thousand and number one. I got Sammy bid number two I got Sonny Jergerson at three, I have Mark Ripping at four, and I got Doug Williams at five.
Speaker 1: That's how what do you think, Taylor? I think he can't.
Speaker 2: Really you can't.
Speaker 6: You can shuffle that run.
Speaker 5: But those guys are the guys that probably that represent this history, this rich history.
Speaker 2: I feel like you can tell the story of this organization through those.
Speaker 5: Five because because I would say, the only person I probably would switch is Sammy Bard at two, and and you man Sonny at and put Sonny at two. Three, I put Sonny at three and put Sammy at two. I would have Joe at one, Sammy Sammy at two, and Sonny at three.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And it's only because the championships, But if you really want to be technical, you can put Sammy in front of all three of those guys.
Speaker 6: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So it was also like a different era, like he again, like he's a cool to talk about because of everything he did in his era. He had like a sixty percent completion percentage, didn't throw the ball like he was just such an outlier. But again, that's really cool. So let's talk about this real quick best quarterback you played with while.
Speaker 6: In DC, I would say, I would say Mark Vinell's mine.
Speaker 2: He's the guy.
Speaker 5: And you got to think this is coming from uh. So I played here ten years and I had eleven quarterbacks, I believe. So, yeah, I had a ten.
Speaker 2: Years I had.
Speaker 5: I had fifteen and fourteen years total football. But as a Washington whatever you wanted to call us, as a Redskin, I played for the Redskins as a doing those ten years here, I had eleven quarterbacks and Mark I only had him for a year and a half. And it's crazy as that might sound, he was my favorite. He was my favorite and the best quarterback that I said when it came.
Speaker 6: To see one of the things that, well, I know why you liked him so much.
Speaker 2: That's one reason. That's one Just talk about it. I had.
Speaker 1: I had a great year with my Pro Bowl year because we were researching he had so he had three thousand yards passing that year. They were talking about twenty three touchdowns. Ten had eleven of them. Yeah, So talk about a guy who knew how to.
Speaker 2: Get the ball to his man.
Speaker 5: And that's the that's what I'm going to bring up. That's with not having any reps in training camp.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: That's with me not knowing nothing about him. That's what him just saying, Tana, I'm gonna get.
Speaker 2: You to rock.
Speaker 6: Hey, Hey, I might need you backside.
Speaker 2: That's how you Jimmy.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't be in the progression, Bingle. I wouldn't be in the progression and Mark finds me. So that's just knowing football.
Speaker 1: And can you name all the guys you played with?
Speaker 2: By the way a little bit.
Speaker 5: I think I think I might miss two guys and one from New York and it's one from here. Y'all gonna know their name, So start with New York. I had Chad Pennington. I had Benny Testaburdy, who's my favorite quarterback I played with in New York test Verity.
Speaker 6: I had Quincy Carter.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Mark, if I'm not mistaken, that's how you pronounce that Mark, Mark Bolger, s Mark Virginia, Mark Bojer, Mark Mark Borger or something like that. It's not Bolger play for the Rams, not him. It's another guy Mark. It might be Mark Burger and Mark bro I don't have pronounce that would have been four and four years with them.
Speaker 2: I get here.
Speaker 5: I got your boy who you like Ramsey the worst, Pat Pat Ramsey, I got that's five. I got Mark Brunell. That's six. I got your boy we just talked about. But Todd is in there. But I'm talking about the first of Jason Kimball, then Todd Collins, then Donovan mcnawa now then.
Speaker 2: Then my man from Florida, Uh Rex Gross sixty rex Ho.
Speaker 6: That's team the guy who.
Speaker 5: Forget right now he's with them back there you go act love so No, the Beck is r G three, Kirk Cousins you got from Texas who play co McCoy, McCoy and and last.
Speaker 2: But that's that's thirteen.
Speaker 1: Last fourteen played.
Speaker 6: With one more guy here?
Speaker 2: Well you I survived one more guy here that threw me a ball, that threw me.
Speaker 1: In the game. Oh gosh, that's tough because there was a period of time it was rex.
Speaker 3: Back, it was it wasn't it was the old boy that played for thirty three team Johnson Johnson, he was I.
Speaker 6: Went here with Josh. Somebody else threw me a ball here, huh, I.
Speaker 1: Would say, because Coke got hurt in fifteen, know who got hurt in four?
Speaker 2: You did not play with Mark Sanchez.
Speaker 1: No, he's always That was the year after that Mark came.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, Mark played, he had us list I want to chase Keenum.
Speaker 6: No, I want none of those guys. It might it might have been. It might have been the Texas last he's the last one.
Speaker 1: So it was it was third summer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so that's like thirteen, right.
Speaker 2: And I came here.
Speaker 1: No one.
Speaker 2: Jiff George my first quarterback.
Speaker 3: He didn't make it through the year. Therefore we had Tony Banks. You don't remember Tony Banks. Tony Banks is a West Coast guy quarter a black quarterback, puts you down the field.
Speaker 2: Then we come back with the Jetskins. That's what we had. Shane Matthews, Danny Waffle. Uh oh yeah, I got bad.
Speaker 6: So who was your so? Who was your favorite of the of all your quarterbacks here?
Speaker 2: You know what I feel.
Speaker 3: My heart went out to Pat Ramsey because I felt like we set him up for failure, for failure, so my heart went out.
Speaker 2: I loved personally a quarterback. Nobody loved Jeff George.
Speaker 3: Listen, one of the strongest arms, accurate, but he is so arrogant.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: The only person got in the way Jeff George is Jeff George because all the god Gallant I mean talent, he had that talent. But I can't say he the best quarterback I played. We here because guess what, ain't but one quarterback ever took.
Speaker 2: Me to the playoffs. Here one Todd College, Todd good Chief.
Speaker 1: The Chief.
Speaker 2: The Chief waited sixteen years, yeah to get his first start.
Speaker 1: Good friend.
Speaker 3: Man, it finally got the start at the end of the season, and the Chief took us to the playoffs. All right, Todd College, I know they're sitting to Borlow Todd Collins, what about you.
Speaker 1: I'm just trying to think through it because I obviously was here. So this is what I'm gonna say. I'm gonna kind of like Hedge with my answer. So the best year I had with the quarterback was obviously Robert in twelve. Like he was he was untouchable that year. Man, Like he the way through the ball, the way he ran, the way he elevated the whole offense. I mean, the play calling was huge, I hear. The guy that was probably the most impactful for me in my career was probably Rex Grossman. Like he was just a great guy as a young player to be around. Yeah, because he was super accessible, super good dude, good leader, been around with a bunch of teams, good communicator, understood football well and was able to kind of convey that to me, which was great. And then in terms of like the best guy, and I got Kirk when he was young, but the guy that I knew could be good when he started playing was Kirk. And to see him now, like it all makes it makes sense. I'm not saying I called it, but like that's kind of how I feel about it.
Speaker 2: And so, uh had a good group. Man. Think about the group of quarterbacks I had, I was destined to not succeed.
Speaker 1: I know, it was tough. And then obviously Donovan. Having Donovan here was cool because he was like my favorite quarterback, grow he was my mom's favorite quarterback.
Speaker 5: Just to give some Oh, his name was Brooke Brooke Bolinger. Brooke Bolinger, Brooke Bolinger, that's what his name. I had to find it, man Brook. So yeah, I've been saying Mark all this time. It's Brooke Bolinger, all right.
Speaker 1: So that's kind of kind of up.
Speaker 6: Brooke Brook was one of my guys.
Speaker 1: I like Brook. Yeah, that's a group of quarterbacks man.
Speaker 6: And it's so crazy.
Speaker 5: None of the quarterbacks, none of the quarterbacks I played with, but one went to a Pro Bowl and it was RG really.
Speaker 2: Pro bo.
Speaker 5: Not in the years I played with them, the year and the years I played with them, none of them. Only r G three was a Pro Bowl quarterback. Mark should have went the year that I would played.
Speaker 2: With the Pro Bowl court.
Speaker 3: But the only time I played with the Pro Bowl quarterback out with the Vikings take hope help. But that's the only Pro Bowl quarterback I ever had in my life.
Speaker 1: The most underrated quarterback in your opinion from my team, Yeah, from Todd Commins to Collins.
Speaker 3: Most underrated Jason Campbell. I'm gonna get to Jason.
Speaker 2: Because if Jason no, I just said, I just felt like, if Jason had.
Speaker 3: This, I cut outside the lines a little bit, he would have been a better quarterback. But tools, he had all the tools, height, arm strength, smart like he had everything. I thought Jason and I thought we didn't do Jason no gifts by giving him like twenty three offense coordinator.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then and then he didn't have an offense that that suited him came to him. The reason why I say Todd is because no one saw it coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah you want.
Speaker 6: No one would gave him a chance, nobody, and he just sat here.
Speaker 2: He quiet.
Speaker 5: He learned he was the backup, and when Jason went down, he led us to the playoffs. I mean, we couldn't miss. I mean, and it was crazy. He turned around my season because at that time I was I was upset with Jason. Jason was throwing the ball so hard and so high and so late. I was like, damn boy, this is just just not fun, you know, because you know when you feel like you're getting your back blown out. And Jason was young, so it's no offense to Jason. We talked, We had these talks back then, and it was crazy. The next year, I had my first thousand yard season with Jason, but Todd came in and just man, I mean the ball I would remember. I remember that Cowboy game, last game of the season here, and that's the year we lost you know, Sean and mc tarr was on one. The ball was like it's just like it couldn't miss. Like he just knew, like, man, I'm going to make where I'm going before I was throwing that thing to me and it was like it was just and I hate playing in rain, and it was beyond raining that day. It was nasty outside, and it seemed like every ball Tar threw it was just like perfect.
Speaker 6: I mean, he was just on the money.
Speaker 2: Minnesota.
Speaker 3: When we had to bring that guy to go into the playoffs, yeah, he like Todd hiking the ball one point two second the ball out of his hand.
Speaker 6: I ran out and up on I forgot who that guy was over.
Speaker 2: There onex one winfield.
Speaker 5: When I went up on him and I turned, I literally put my foot I was doing the out route and Todd was throwing the throwing talked about. By the time I turned around, you know, I'm you know, I got to speed for it, and the guy who covering, he's trying to, you know, catch up, and by the time he caught up, I'm already going over his head.
Speaker 6: That's how Todd was. He just threw the ball perfect, perfect time.
Speaker 1: I want to say a guy that's probably gonna be a little controversial, it's gonna be John Beck. And the reason we say John Beck is because I don't think people listen, listen, listen, listen. I just wanted this is something people understand about the position.
Speaker 2: I'm just putting it.
Speaker 1: But I get you because I get you and the reason I understand. Man, But that guy prepped crazy. He like to be a starter and it just didn't work out.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm gonna say this, man, and I'm gonna be me because you know, I'm a realist.
Speaker 2: I'm a realist. But I don't knock that.
Speaker 5: I don't knock that by Beck. The only throwing in my behind about Beck. And I'm not, you know, shamed to say this, and I'm he probably would if he ever heard this, he'd probably.
Speaker 2: Say, I'm right.
Speaker 5: Is he just boasted before we got a chance to do things. I thought the world of him, How he called people, how he wanted to get guys to go work out, how his preparation, he wanted to do everything right. But you got to do it before you talk about And I didn't like no one that boasts to me because it's like, you know, our son this. I love our son to this day, great, great, great soul. You know, he had a hard like no other guy. I think our sun is still stay in the area. When I came in, he saw what I did my first year here with us writing plays in the dirt. He say, Tanner, I just came from the greatest show on the turf. You're gonna have two thousand yards.
Speaker 2: Don't tell me that.
Speaker 6: I'll let's go out here and play for and then get me.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. And I didn't have him, y'all. And he was saying sorry to me at the end of the year, like ten.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 6: No, man, just don't talk about what we're gonna do.
Speaker 2: That's why I didn't do it.
Speaker 5: So that was that was the thing that bothered me the most about Beck, because Beck was like, man, we're gonna do that, and then we got there, like Beck, what the.
Speaker 6: Hell what you doing? You know what I'm saying, beg.
Speaker 2: Let me repeat that. He sounds like a count that works in Memphis.
Speaker 6: He's a gun back.
Speaker 2: I'm a counter back. If you call me like yeah, we got jumm back next week. N No, John Beck, come on.
Speaker 5: Man, tell me this though this because it was a you know, I never wanted to go down in the middle of the season and have to come back and play. I remember when I broke my hand and I watched those four games. Man, it was like the worst time of Like I was almost happy to be hurt at that time, Like I promise, because I'm looking at Jabi Gaffney and Jambaik come off.
Speaker 6: You know, he don't bite his hold. Bro. We went to We went to Canada to play Buffalo.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 5: Dad had to be the worst game I've ever saw in football, like me watching football from any seat, from playing on and sitting on the bench, or as a spectator. At that moment, I was a spectator because I had a broken hand.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 6: We couldn't get up. It's like we couldn't move.
Speaker 2: The chain at your local councilman, John Big.
Speaker 1: And so the reason I wanted to bring him up also because dude, I mean, like you said, everything you're supposed to do, Yeah, he did it did it just didn't work out. And again I think that shows you how hard it is to make it out because like again, he was a guy. He'd stay I remember my rookie year, we'd stay after every Monday and we'd go through the entire game script. He'd make every throw. You go in and study all the fields like he just you know what he worked out.
Speaker 5: You know, I think though sometime that happens. Who are you as a person, you know what I mean? Like I mean don't get me wrong. I'm not saying nothing bad about him because I liked him as a person. I said, but I feel like if you kind of if you kind of do too much barking without you know, without putting up the work. It happens that way. You know, when you can't bark, you can't sit out here. Like my dad always say, I say this to this day. This is one of my favorite sins. A man gonna show you who he is, A man gonna show you who he ain't by telling you who he is. Yeah, so they think about that. Yeah, you tell me, you this not time out of tendant because to tell me you know what I'm saying. So that's why I've never been opposed to wanting to hear nothing or you tend you finna go out, Know, I'm just gonna go.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna prepare myself.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna prepare myself to go out and do the best whatever may happen that day, because you don't know, you never know.
Speaker 6: Just be ready for it, you understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so you know, we talked about some of the best quarterbacks, some of the worst quarterbacks in Washington history.
Speaker 2: Got about the worst.
Speaker 1: We talked. We talked about some people that you know, potentially didn't that didn't work out, even though we've got a lot of respect for him. But then we got to go jayde Daniels, you know, and like, what are our first impressions of him? And yeah, let's start with first impressions.
Speaker 3: I love the person because that's how we really know about right now. I love the person. The person seems to be grounded. Yeah, he seems to be a team player, and he seems to have his the heartbeat of the team, if you know what I mean. And nothing seems hard to him. I watch him in practice. No throw seems hard to him. And right now it's all about learning curve. He seems to be picking up the offense pretty quick. So the intelligence is there, the athletic ability is there now, just like John Beck, can he put it all together?
Speaker 2: That's gonna be the question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's one of the reason I brought it up, is because like there's something about like knowing the book and studying because John knew it right, and I think Jayden knows it for you, it's pretty good. But I think the thing about Jaden that I've been impressed with is that his ability to go execute and act on that right and kind of make place, make the throws work the progressions, let his footwork take him to the concept, and you know he's at least picked it up really quickly. The technical document seems to be there, so I know it's it's you know, they're still in helmets.
Speaker 2: You know, they're not still a pillow.
Speaker 1: But I think in terms of you know, answering or taking the test that's given to you, I think he's just done a great job kind of checking off boxes. And again, like he's like I think Tanner, you probably appreciate this the most. He's not a guy that's gonna tell you like, oh I'm this this this No, I'm here, I'm here to work, I'm here to get better. I'm here to try to be the best version of my.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean one of the things that you know, quarterbacks can be. It can be hit a mess when it comes to personality. While you get some quarterbacks that's their whole life into they self, and so you have to deal with that because they like well, like I said, into their self, it's about them.
Speaker 6: It's their show.
Speaker 5: So you're gonna have to listen up and then you get other quarterbacks that's like Jaydon Dames approachable, that's what and to take in whatever you're hearing, or they want to listen to what you see or or how you want the ball thrown. Okay, I'm gonna give it to you less this way. Like I was amazed when Vinnie used to be like, Tennis, so what's your see tenn I'm like, oh, you asking me because some quarterbacks, you know, I'm young, I don't.
Speaker 6: I never saw an older guy. And this is my first time.
Speaker 5: Really having having this experience because let me just remind you, Chad is my age.
Speaker 6: He ain't asking me what I see? Yeah, come on, get to that spot.
Speaker 5: You know you hear that sometimes like well, okay, you want to be a little you know what I mean, Like I'm getting there or I'm gonna get there because I know, you know, it don't take me long. But when I look at jay and he seems that guy, and every time I listen to one of the guys that he played with, that's.
Speaker 6: What I'm hearing.
Speaker 5: Man, he's a team, he's a guy. He's a fun guy to be around. Even through the draft process, all these guys, everybody was like it was like he was one of those guys they everybody gravitated to him, you know what I mean, because the way his spirit is and that's rough for quarterbacks because people's kind of like, oh, that go the dude over there, and then when it's a quarterback and the rest of bingo.
Speaker 6: And so I think that's right there.
Speaker 5: That's a good way to start off knowing that he's a guy that's very approachable, that's gonna be, that's gonna listen. And he's a fun loving guy. So he want everybody to have fun. And the only way you're gonna have everybody I had fun is make sure those guys get off.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, And again I think back to those that thing he said in our interview where he's like I got up at five am, got guys to come work out with me at five am. Like takes a special kind of dude to do. Yeah, And so obviously the guys here have talked about how much they like him and they're excited about him. I think he's done a great job checking all the boxes. So really, every time we get to watch practice, that's first I'm most excited to watch because he's the most important position. That's why we dedicate a whole show to talking about these guys. There's a reason that Thaisman is this iconic thing or Sonny is this iconic thing is because they play the most important position in the sport. But that's gonna do it for today's show. Please make sure you're liking, subscribe to ever get your podcasts. If you want to see ugly faces. Checks out on YouTube and.
Speaker 2: We got faces on that chest. That's it, that's right.
Speaker 1: The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and or hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.