Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Oh, Joe, this is cutting. This is from Neil Dudda, a friend of the pod.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, all right, read it out, Read it out.
Speaker 2: President Trump has picked everyone's least favorite candidate, Kevin Walsh for the next Fed Reserve chief. I my hat to Warsh, who has managed to get selected after being passed over time and again. That's a remarkable achievement for him. Joe, I want a T shirt that says ruthless utility maximizer, black goal. Let's talk about losers.
Speaker 3: Hoo care.
Speaker 2: I've decided I'm going to base my entire personality going forward on campaigning for a strategic pork reserve in the US.
Speaker 3: Skull's unlimited.
Speaker 2: Oh what's the ticker for that?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I think that like in a couple of years, the AI will do a really good job of making the out launch podcast.
Speaker 2: How do I get more popular and successful?
Speaker 3: One day that person will have the mandate of heaven.
Speaker 1: We do have of.
Speaker 2: You're listening to lots More, where we catch up with friends about what's going on right now, because.
Speaker 3: Even when the odd lots is over, there's always lots more.
Speaker 2: And we really do have the perfect guest.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna say what I find interesting right now is that, you know, like Trump announces someone and you expect a bunch of like liberal ninnies in the media to like shake their fists. This isn't good, you know, It's like there's a lot of predictable response. But it is interesting to my mind. Here's someone like Neil who is a I do not associate him with liberal media groupthink or anything like that, as well as many others who are like, huh interesting pick here.
Speaker 2: Well, I will say, opinions kind of divided. So mohappadel Arian tweeted earlier that he thinks Kevin's going to be a great FED share and he's observed and this is a quote. Having observed and interacted with Kevin during his prior tenor as FED governor, in academia and as a fellow member of the Group of thirty, I believe he brings a strong mix of deep expertise, broad experience, and sharp communication skills.
Speaker 3: So, by the way, Jason Furman too, Yeah, yeah, Kevin worsh is well above the bar on both substance and independence. To be sure of the Federal Reserve, the Senate should ask tough questions about his independent and President Trump should reduce the thread to it. Hopefully that will make it clear Worsh should be confirmed. So it is a mix on both sides. It is not dividing in obvious easy ways. Anyway, Sconda, what's up.
Speaker 1: Glad to be part of this momentous day it is I guess we see that. Yeah, Kevin Worsh is right now the successor in waiting if he gets confirmed by the Senate. It is funny how he's part of this group of thirty, which is a form of former central bankers, former finance ministers, and movers and shakers. So you see Mohammadel Arian, Jason Furman, George Os. I believe Mark Karney certainly not exactly the most America first kind of grouping, maybe more globalist in flavor, has definitely kind of rallied around Kevin Worsh because I think they've probably converse with him a bunch of times and take him to be a very serious person. I myself am much more sympathetic to what our friend Neil has pointed out.
Speaker 3: By the way we are talking, of course, to longtime friend of the Podskanda Eminas co founder and executive of Employee America. So what do you see, Like, Okay, so someone like Neil and and someone like yourself, and you have these reservations, like what is the origin of some of these anxieties.
Speaker 1: I think there are a few different anxieties, and I think let's start with this is obviously someone who's served on the FED before, right, he was a FED governor, So we have like a track record. We don't have to rely on secondhand validation. We don't have to if we didn't have anything about Kevin Worshton. I think probably it's probably we're putting a little more emphasis on what Jason Furman and Mohammed Alarian and those people are saying. And they seem like respectable people. Except he was FED governor, and he does have a pretty long body of work in terms of a public intellectual, giving remarks, being in the Wall Street Journal opinion pages. And the trouble is it kind of comes back to like who do you want in a crisis? Right, So the FED really tends to matter the most in periods of crisis. He was a FED governor in the crisis, and he often touts it as some financial purpose. Yes, the two thousand and eight financial crisis. If you go through what his views were through that whole period, what you will find is this is someone who is very eager to tout how well the financial system was performing, even as it was descending into crisis in two thousand and seven and eight. He was very eager to really upright the importance of inflation in the summer and fall of two thousand and eight until Lehman failed. So this is on clearly who had his eye on I'd say the wrong ball that time. Okay, mistakes happen, Like people had different views. I don't think we should be like too precious about that specifically. And yet also the moment that sort of came into two thousand and nine, and let's say the absolute worst of the financial distress may have been behind us, but we had historically high and rising unemployment, he basically said this was not really a big problem, not something that the Fed should be focused on, and that we actually should start to shift back towards focusing on keeping UH interest rates more normal, not so low. I'm worried about inflation, and so he came with a lot of reasons why I thought inflation was gonna explode why QWET was really bad, and that would ultimately lead to first inflation, then maybe some version of acid price inflation, maybe bubbles, maybe it's backdoor fiscal policy. He gave with a lot of different reasons at different times for why he really hated the fact that the Fed's balance sheet was so big, But one those predictions weren't really true. I think they reflective misunderstanding of what the Fed's balance sheet really does and is. And it's still like a big is a favorite hobby horse of his, But that's itself like he kind of missed the whole financial crisis in a way, right like aside from like the absolute worst of it, everyone got on the same page in October two thousand and eight. But that's like kind of like not like that's not a great badge of like of honor that you actually figured out that you had to serve to support the financial system at that time. I think that's the first dimension that probably is of concern. But let's say, like, Okay, people have gone through various episodes and missed a lot of things, and you'd hope coming out of that people kind of have learned something, expressed some humility Okay, I missed this part of this problem, the scale of it, the duration of it, and I'll do better next time. We haven't really heard that, but okay, let's see those like missing mea culpus aside. The two things that are more concerning that come out of that, though, is we see now a growing pattern of both obsequiousness and partisanship in how he orientsd his macro and monetary policy beams. So let's fast forward to twenty twenty four, right where we had for a while. Obviously there was a sense of like the fence going to cut rates, but are they going to cut rates soon enough? Or are they going to wait longer because they want to see more progress on inflation? Kevin worsh For most of that year, he was pretty clearly in the camp of the Fed is risking not keeping interest rates high enough for long enough to kill inflation. But when do you think that his policy views changed. They've had the change in November twenty twenty four, basically, and he basically did a big one to eighty on what were probably considered pretty hawkish views. But actually they turn dubbish the moment the election changes. Now, Obviously, like everyone does a version of inflecting their policy views with some level of politics and partisanship, whether they can help it or not. I'm not here to say it's like anyone's immune, but there's a tendency if you look through his track record of basically worrying about inflation and worrying about sort of fiscal excesses during periods when it's a Democrat that's in the White House, and then it tends to flip towards deregularly and productivity growth are going to be disinflationary, and that's that's why we can afford to keep rates lower. When it's the Republican that's in the White House, I think that's been dialed up even further. And this is this last call it eighteen to twenty four months where you've seen that sort of one to eighty take place, and I think that kind of speaks to exactly what did you have to promise to President Trump to get the job.
Speaker 2: It's funny you mentioned writing op eds in the Wall Street Journal, and this is also a Dutta line, he says, And all he's done in the years since his time at the FED is critique QE and the FED itself making a bunch of bad economic calls along the way, and writing the same op ed in the Wall Street Journal every year. So one thing I was reading, you know, I read some of those op eds, but I also read a speech that Walsh made last year, and he was criticizing the FED for being too dependent on data or focusing on data dependency too much near term forecasting, and it kind of, you know, it made me think, like, well, if you're not looking at the data, what are you going to be looking at? Do we have any sense of what he actually prioritizes when it comes to making policy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean maybe it's vibes, maybe it's presidential preferences, but obviously, like sort of half kidding there, But I think it's like, what do we have if we don't have data? Right, what do we have if we don't have a language that you can talk about facts? Like, obviously data has flaws. We all know that there's like limitations to what macroeconomic data releases can tell us, what various points of information tell us. We're all trying to triangulate around this like fuzzy reality of macroegonomics. But it's a useful language for being able to like get people from different policy preferences, different political orientations to get on something of the same page. Right. It's a way of saying, Okay, this is a fact about the data. We can tell it, say this is the reason why it's too high, it's too low, it's biased. This way you can have a discussion about it. But at least it's a way to make sure we're talk with something other than politics, something other than policy that's like outside of the ambit of the FED. I think what you actually hear from Kevin Worese from the data dependence side, it's pretty worrisome because it kind of speaks to a disinterest in being perceived as objective and lack of interest in actually doing something that can broaden legitimacy around the FED so that people really understand, Okay, the FED made this decision because indicators moved in this direction, or they think indicators are moving this direction. At the same time, we obviously have a situation where like there's a lot of risk of eroding trust in the FED. When Trump has been saying that he wants his guy in who's going to do what he wants, and that he really felt burned by picking Jerome Powell, so basically that Jerome Powell was not pliant enough to what Trump was looking for. I think that that just raises a lot of risks going forward. And I just to bring it back to the issue of prises. The FED has been such an I were an actor in periods of crisis and divided government. Right when we think about twenty eight and twenty twenty, when periods when the White House was controlled by a Republican and there was a pretty vociferous opposition from Congress in terms of obviously there was a democratic House in twenty twenty and both chambers were a democratic in two thousand and eight, how did you get to like policies that actually started to take like address the scale of the crises in front of them. You got there because there was some agreement and trust that the FED could be a reliable kind of crisis broker of sorts. I think that's gonna be a lot harder this time around because Kevin Morrish is like track record. Obviously, there's a certain obsequiousness that kind of has been very obvious from how he's do these policy one eighties. He goes from hawk at one point and then the moment Trump wins office, he starts to shift towards being more dubbish. He did a version of this in twenty seventeen, though less exaggerated, So that's something that is concerning. Layer it onto. His tenure as Fed governor has this like features a lot of speeches in which he's like really going off script in terms of what he's talking about. He doesn't just talk about monetary policy or just financial regulation. He started to give kind of these like bigger concerns about, Hey, I don't really like the way the trade policy is going under the Obama administration. I don't really like how like we risked going down the wrong path on broader regulatory policy, things that really shouldn't have been under his domain itself to focus on. And yet he kind of veered into the political and probably was speaking to a more partisan audience at that time. I think everything you've seen since two thousand and five six kind of speaks to someone who wants to talk to a one side of the partisan aisle. But it may be very different in a crisis. But you need relationships across this vectrum.
Speaker 3: You know, regardless of what people thought about BERNANKI or Paul, etc. Both of them, you know, were reasonably well respect across both sides of the aisle, which probably was very helpful during the crisis.
Speaker 1: I have a question, and I've.
Speaker 3: Never actually quite known the answer to this, but even going back to two thousand and nine, twenty ten, et cetera, like a lot of people really liked Worsh, and you mentioned that he's in a select community of like some pretty like heavy hitters, et cetera. And I think Bernank liked Worsh quite a bit. If I recall, what is the sort of like worsh origin story of how he got to be in the circles of some of the most elite and a monetary policy minds.
Speaker 1: So he was one of the youngest people selected to be a Fed governor, and there was a lot of consternation even about whether he was qualified at that time. There's some good background about how there were a lot of critics for Price chairman, people who served under Ronald Reagan expressing reservation is about picking someone so young who had no real track record. He was like an investment banquet Morgan Stance and technology media Telcom for a brief period. He's kind of known in these circles primarily, and like, I don't know how much to ascribe to this, but I do think like it matters that probably his father in law is one of the big donors to the Republican Party and has been a big donor to Trump, so Ron laudaiir of es Day Lauter fame. So there's ex certain levels of connections that have mattered. I think there's a pretty well documented fight between Randy Quarrels, who is the head of supervision appointed by Trump in his first rum, and Kevin Warsh were fighting over a particular job in the Bush Treasury Secretary Office, the Treasure Department. So he's been around in those circles. I think he's mostly been conversed with, let's call people who are like he was on a visiting fellow the Hube Institution, which is like an intellectual hub for obviously conservative economic thought. But he's also mostly been speaking to a specific crowd like the Wall Street Journal op eded Page. Has mostly been with those who are of his persuasion. He has managed to do a remarkable job of shape shifting to words, making sure he's heard well by President Trump. And so he has managed to kind of make that transition in a way that maybe other people have not. But that shape shifting itself has always been with an orientation towards I'm really speaking to a Republican audience. And what I wonder about that is, if we run into any sort of situation where you're going to need the FED to kind of put out a fire, or you're gona need some institution to do that play that role as there was the case in the Cares Act, or was the case around Tarp or around any of the other sort of bailous of zos and eight, how do you like muster that together when like this person has kind of been pretty consistently partisan and ideological in some ways, ideological maybe more so when it's not Trump at the helm, but it's just something that's going to come very hard to trust. And we kind of take that for granted in terms of like macro and finance about how the FED is supposed to step in when there's a crisis, but like the FED steps into the crisis when they get the backing from both Congress and the White House, that may not exist.
Speaker 2: Just going back to things that Orsh has said previously, So we talked about he's been very critical of the fed's balance sheet, expanded balance sheet and QI and things like that. Assuming that he figures out a way to do what he wants at the FED and somehow it gets support of the FED board or does something else, how dramatic could his tenure at the FED actually be in terms of monetary policy, because I'm thinking, you know, there's been some chat or some suggestion that worsh would like to radically redesign the way monetary policy interest rates are actually implemented.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's always been a bit fuzzy to me because he's been very eager to criticize, but the nature of the criticism has always had to like continuously adapt to what I'd call somewhat failed predictions. First it was that there are a lot of people said, QUI is going to increase some money's supply and mechanically increase inflation. And that was the case that people said this like two thousand and nine didn't quite pan out that way. Then people kind of said, like it's going to lead to acid price inflation, slash and bubbles, like maybe there's acid price inflation. But there wasn't really like an obvious bubble that Trent transpired from it, and then it's sort of that some of the criticians shifted towards while it's actually doing something on fiscal policy. So I think you have to have a career in view of what you actually think the Fed balagy does. Like if you ask me, ordinary vanilla treasury QI is not really doing much. It's mostly an acid swamp of two risk free acids, which is a view actually that another person who over institutions John Cochran would be abide by. So there's not really any disporting effects that people are really the way people are saying, and yet he sort of has made this a big bug bearer that this is like the big thing that needs to shift. He comes at a very awkward time because what's been happening is that money markets have been basically giving the signal that actually the balance sheet is getting to a place where if you try to run it down from here and run it down to abruptly, you might get more dysfunction, kind of similar to what we saw in like September twenty nineteen. So we might get into a situation where rebol rates spike because there's just not a lot of relative to the banking system and the financial system's needs. You do need to have some amount of liquidity available, and that amount of liquidity is meaningfully more than it was prior to the financial crisis. That's probably like one part regulation, one part supervision, and one part bank risk management practices. But this stuff is kind of like actually hard to pin down how much of each, And so he's bide this is like big concern. I suspect he's probably gonna have to swallow his pride a bit and be more supportive of like gradual battle sheet expansion during this period because money market conditions are basically signaling that things have tidied up quite a bit in terms of if you look at where the FED funds rate or money market interest rates are relative to the interest that the FED pays on reserves, or the interest rate that the FED pays for money market funds to the revers reypop facility, those have been converging, right, Those are basically been those money market indust rates have been kept going up relative to those but rates set by the Fed. And that kind of is also a sign that like, yeah, you're gonna to have more malleability. And it's not exactly be the case that like, oh my god, this FED balance sheet is like this big problem, or that it's something that if you if you lower the balance sheet, that's how you get lower interest rates. These views are all kind of incoherent. But I think that especially now that he might be in a position where has to deal with those hard realities, I suspect his views made worse to change.
Speaker 3: It'll be interesting to see what happens. Let's just talk, you know, so we know Trump wants lower rates. Kevin Warrish has talked about we need lower rates, so there's alignment there. Other candidates who were like the sort of finalists also talking about that. So Christopher Waller, who I think, you know, many people would say perhaps has the best track record of the last five years of anyone having correctly identified the inflationary turn and then also recognizing when the inflationary turn was coming to and he also wants lower rates. So like there were presumably no matter who was going to come in was going to have this lower rates. Now view that being said, you know, does the actual execution of lower rates in the short term setting aside crisis, does it change at all the dynamics when he's just one of multiple voting members. If that message is coming from Kevin Walsh versus if it were coming from a Christopher Waller.
Speaker 1: I think it definitely matters because at least with Chris Waller, honestly, with all of the front runners outside of Borsh, I can point to a tangible example where that person supported the case for lower interest rates outside of a very Trump inflected electoral context. And I'm including even Kevin Hassett here and so Rick Reader Chris Waller are people who have made the case for radcuts at various times, even when Trump was not in office, even when Trump wasn't clamoring for lower regist rates. In the case of Kevin Hassett, he went on the record in October twenty twenty four, I believe, basically defending the Fed's fifty basis point radcut in September, back when Kevin Walsh and Scott Bessant and Steve Steve Myron were up in arms about the idea that could cut rates and thought it was the most like politically motivated decision. Ever, so you get people who have actually registered their views and are not I can show an ability to make judgments outside of that sort of presidential context will come with more credibility because in the end it, as you rightly point out, the FLMC, which is made up of seven Fed governors and a set of regional FED presidents, they are not just presidential appointees, certainly not of this current president, and even those who are appointed by the president in the previous administration. I think, to a large extent, I'm talking with Michelle Bollman or Chris Waller or j Powell have shown like a capacity for independent judgment and assessment. Will someone like Kevin Worrish be able to bring more people on board is going to be a real challenge, right, Can he be persuasive? Can you be persuasive? And especially if he's someone who doesn't really take a lot of stock in data, Like one of the nice ways that you can be persuasive is being able to point to an indicator and saying, I think this is going to happen in this way. Then if it does happen this way, you get more credibility in the next meeting to say, I've things are going the way I suspected it, and therefore we really need to take policy in the direction I think is right. Like that's kind of the data has a way of like helping keep people accountable in discussions, not always, but like it's better than nothing at all, or better than the substitute. And so I think regardless of who was gonna be the FED chair, there was gonna be a persuasive constraint. We're kind of seeing from the Supreme Court that Trump can't just fire everyone on the FED that he wants. At least those are the tea leaves we're getting, And so you're gonna have to work with the people who are already on the FED on the FMC. And if that's the case, like persuasive power matters, and like what's the reason you're really like expressing this view? Are you expressing this view because you believe it or because you think it satisfies what the president wants. Unfortunately, over the course of last i'd say two decades, Kevin Warsh's views kind of have like a strong like political correlation to them. Look, everyone's got some political correlation in their views, I suspect, but his more predominantly, and especially if he wasn't making arguments rooted primarily in data, I think he may find it harder to persuade his fellow colleagues, and there will be a high level suspicion about just how what exactly are the true intentions behind his agenda.
Speaker 2: Just going back to the speech that Warsh made last year, he talked about the need for regime change at the FED and he said that would involve quote breaking some heads. So I imagine the first FMC meeting might be a little a little awky.
Speaker 3: He's got to come in and the first thing he says, he's like, guys, I didn't mean that literally, like he's like trying, you know, he got to come in, And I wrote that, but I don't want you guys to me and I said it literally, he's got to stay there real quickly.
Speaker 2: Skanda, if you were at that meeting, what would be the one question or the first question that you asked mister Walsh.
Speaker 1: Oh, I I think it's It would be good a good sense of just like what he's u what he even thinks about where interest rate sho'd be right now, because I think part of what he doesn't quite He talks a lot about FED policy and the abstract the need for real change. We need reform. This would need more credibility, more fewer mandates or something along those lines. It's all kind of vague and it can kind of sound substantive, but I kind of think a little substance free because it ends up blurring exactly what he thinks about the macro economy right now. Like inflation right now is about a percentage point above the fence target. Now, that might be freezes that are temporary, that might freezes that are more persistent. It'd be good to understand like what he thinks will happen why. I mean, we don't really know much about that beyond just thinking like, Okay, this person's probably going to be for lowering rates because he got the job from Trump. The reasoning it seems very light at this point. I think it's a there's good reason to dublished as maybe good reasons to be hawkish, but can he identify those like as someone who will be on the FMC year a FED staffer, Like we're actually there's more of a black box here, because maybe you could have told yourself a story of how he was actually a very hawkish person, especially in twenty nine and twenty ten and some of his Wall Street Journal columns afterwards, but especially ever since we've had Trump in office, like his youths have definitely shifted more dubbishly, and you just want to wonder, like how much what is he putting a high weight on and if that's something I can be trusted. Ultimately, he's going to have to figure out how to build up more persuasive power and trust among the committee to actually be an effective FED chair. I think I'll be to be remady to be seen.
Speaker 3: Scotne, We're gonna let you go, but this is not going to be the last time we talk about Kevin worsh with you and many others. So appreciate your time.
Speaker 1: Thanks, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Lots More is produced by Dashel Bennett Kerman, Rodriguez and cal Brooks.
Speaker 2: Please rate, review, and subscribe to Odd, Lots and lots More on your favorite podcast platforms.
Speaker 3: And for even more beyond lots More, go to Bloomberg dot com slash odd logs and chat with fellow listeners in our discord Discord dot gg slash odlogs.
Speaker 2: And don't forget that Bloomberg subscribers can listen to all of our podcasts absolutely ad free. All you have to do is find the Bloomberg channel on Apple Podcasts and follow all the instructions there. Thanks for listening.