Speaker 1: Hello, Gnaw, come out talking today.
Speaker 2: You will going to be talking about the first two episodes Jacob Creature.
Speaker 3: Cabago, So watch that first before you listen to this.
Speaker 2: Governor. Hello, It is Jesus Gon's episode. And I'm Rosie Knight from across the Pond, Rosie Night.
Speaker 3: I'm in Johnson, good Old Blighty. Back again.
Speaker 1: And welcome back to extra revision of the podcast movie Dive Deep. Is your favorite shows, movies and comics and pop culture of coming you from iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: We're bringing you three weekly episodes every Tuesday Thursday, with an extra episode on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: How Lucky you are? And in this episode, we're bringing you up Big bad b movie banger of a double feature with Creature Commandos episodes one and two. What do we think about it? Want to hear the recap, want to know where the Creature Commandos come from in the comics. We got you covered. But first, I previously on Marvel Rivals is here out and me and Jason are doing nothing but playing it. It's dangerous. It's dangerously, it really is. So we're gonna talk about that in the airlock. We're gonna break down those first two episodes Creature Commandos in the comics corner, we're gonna do a comics history of the Creature Commandos and how we think it might shape the James Gunnerverse version going forward.
Speaker 2: But first previously on Okay Marvel Rivals, we are playing it free to play on your console of choice as well as PC, except for the switch.
Speaker 3: It will never be on the switch. That's what the guys said now never does not have.
Speaker 2: The juice to get on the switch. But it is free to play. You're gonna pay for skins, You're gonna pay for a battle pass, but just competition. Don't worry about it. You can get in and not pay anything and just play.
Speaker 3: And you can play as like thirty three different characters, like it's a massive roster.
Speaker 2: Rosie Harry feeling because I gotta say, I'm feeling great level.
Speaker 3: It's feeling so good.
Speaker 2: I got into camp. I'm five and one in camp because I've got that Overwatch one and two resume and boozling people right now. It feels great, Rosie, who are you playing as?
Speaker 3: Okay, so I'm sticking I've currently been sticking with the good old Tank group because I seem to have the most wonderful lock that he is for me a fantastic button bashing character, which when I am in a new game, I am a prolific Buttom basher, I can win against pretty much anyone in more combat with absolutely zero combos, just because I'm a skilled button basher. That's the same in a In Dragon Ball Fighters with a Z, I found myself very quickly rising in the rank of that game. And yeah, Groot has been a very good button bashed up. I also like punish her a lot. So basically big characters where I can shoot people a lot, and there's lots of uh, you know, ammo or kind of protection against the fact that I don't even know what PvP means. But yeah, it's so good. Yeah, wow, that makes so much sense. But yeah, I'm loving it. I didn't expect it to hook me as much as it did.
Speaker 2: Really fun, it's so good.
Speaker 3: I really love I love the world like that. To me, these kind of cosmic spaces, the Galactic Empire of Wakanda planets from Guardians of the Galaxy, that kind of stuff. It makes you feel immediately immersed And I have to say, for a free to play game, it looks fucking fantastic.
Speaker 2: It looks really good.
Speaker 3: Who's your favorite player?
Speaker 2: I was gonna playing Guardian's Heavy, Okay, so what makes sense things? I've been playing Groot a lot when I've been tanking, particularly if any of my support our Guardians members, Like if you see Rocket as a support player and you're thinking tank and you're you're missing a tank slot, go Groot. I had a great conquest mode with you know, Groot, playing as Groot with Rocket as my support. We also had Mantis on heels and Peter Quill as the damage player, so we had all the Guardians going and you just unlock all these really great team up abilities cool downs or quicker. Rocket was on my shoulders yea the whole time as I was holding point as Groot. You can throw up these walls of like vines that slow down other players and eventually, if you're close enough to them, they grow tentacles and attack. The cool down is I never notice it. I always have a wall if you need to hold space, like you're gonna play defensively Groot with Rocket on his shoulder, fucking unkillable.
Speaker 3: No, no, I'm saying, like I literally am not skilled at this game. And then and am learning as I go, but every game I play with group, I survive and my team wins. So I feel like I want to get good as Squirrel Girl because that's my favorite squirrel character, Desiety. She's so cool. I love seeing Jeff the land Shark. I haven't played with him yet, but he's seeking swim kind of up anything, so you see him swimming up walls eating people. That's very fantastic. I didn't realize how many, as somebody who did grow up on like Mortal Kombat and Who for me, that's still my favorite fighting game. I didn't realize how many sort of fatality adjacent moments there would be. Like obviously it's a Marvel game, so it's not actually killing people, but there are kind of these really fun moves, and when you do alts and stuff, you really get to see these characters come to life. And I also just love the way that you move around the area, especially Convoy has been like my favorite mode so far.
Speaker 2: Convoy as well.
Speaker 3: It's really fun. It's a really great way to get to see it and to explore the world's and kind of get to see how your team is gonna play because these people are so fast, it's such a chaotic thing, but once you get into the flow of it, I feel like it's doable. I mean, I think it's kind of incredible that this is a free to play game. I think they said they've had ten million players in the first three days.
Speaker 2: You can tell because you get into a game immediately.
Speaker 3: There's every time, there's no waiting.
Speaker 2: You hit enter game and it's just like boom, you are match made. The Discord was.
Speaker 3: Talking about how Overwatch has been really rough the last few years because it hasn't been like that and you'd have to wait a long time for matchups. So it's cool to see people finding this game immediately. Also super produced. Arab makes a great point, which is like relatively smooth launch for such a massive free to play game like it has. We've had a lot of messed up games recently and bad launches and games getting taken down after just a few days because there aren't enough players. This has been a relatively smooth launch, with more stuff going viral about the actual content of the game, playing the game, hilarious jokes about which characters you play as, rather than like weird glitch memes and stuff, which is often what we get in twenty twenty four with gaming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been quite good. I will say there are certain quality of life tweaks that I feel like are coming that are not getting there yet. For instance, right now, there is no roll locks, so you could go in sixteen players sixty's great six supports. Eventually, I feel like they will either put in something where they'll suggest to you, hey, we need this role, or there'll be two to two and two so you can ye two two.
Speaker 3: Which just like there should be a simple way to make it so that that's automatic.
Speaker 2: I think what they want to do is just get people playing, because that is coming from Overwatch. That is part of what will slow the game down because people are like, well, I only play Tank or I only play I.
Speaker 3: Also, this is a game where people want to play as their favorite character. Like, there's gonna be people involved in this that have never played these games and don't care about the role and they just want to play as Doctor Strange or they just want to play as Black Widow. You know. So I think that's gonna kind of an interesting point. But yeah, I think that would be really cool and would probably make it a lot less challenging. If you find yourself in a team with, like you said, like six tanks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let me run through the characters that I like that, Okay, tell me. I love Groot as a tank. I really like Cap as a tank. If you want to be like a mobile tank who runs around, He's got a sprint feature which is really great. I really like Doctor Strange as a tank. I really like I play mostly tank and support. I like uh Mantis as support because you can boost. Not only can you heal, but you can boost your front line guys attack damage strength. So a bunch of times if I'm playing with Iron Fist, who seems like the kind of go to character for getting into the back line and just beating. Like, if you see an iron Fist running at you and you're a back line support character, get out of there.
Speaker 3: Get out because she is just gonna be like sixty around you and your redone signs that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, uh, I love playing as Mantos because you can boost whoever your frontline character is that's going to go in there attack and you can boost their damage strength. And also if you've got cap or or iron Fist for one of these marauding characters who likes to get into the back line very quickly. She has a like a smoke bomb that stuns that puts people to sleep for like two seconds. So you're getting attacked all of a sudden, you've got somebody like right there in your face. You just boom smoke bomb them. They go to sleep, You get out of there.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Great feature, And when you pair it with any of the other guard you get some really interesting team up features like if Warlock is your other support, I've been playing a lot of Warlock. If Adam Warlock is your other support, your cooldowns are faster. You can resurrect yourself like Adam Warlock's power. You go into a cocoon, you just come back. Adam Warlock is great, very powerful healer.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He can resurrect the entire team if you time the alt right, like he opens up portal I, everybody who's dead comes back out.
Speaker 3: Okay, wait wait, I wanted to ask you what's your favorite alt move so far, Like, what's the moment why you've kind of got that I've seen that you that you've seen or played whichever one. I mean the amount of times that Wanda has completely evaporated me and my entire team with what with her like black magic alt it is cannot be counted and it is crazy, like if you hear her, you hear her going to that, look for her and run because you will die immediately, Like it is an.
Speaker 2: Instant kill for everybody who gets hit by her black magic bomb.
Speaker 3: So cool if in the in the old universe where I could become a professional Marvel Rivals player, Wonder is the coolest character to me. She's the one I would want to be really good at. Okay, So there's rumors about new characters like Fantastic Four and X Men, which makes sense, especially with the movies coming up. But who would your dream character be to add to the game.
Speaker 1: Charles Charles, Charles and his little wheelchair floating around a little wheelchair, like just like mind zapping people and like, dude, it's just.
Speaker 3: Like killing people with his mind like classical style.
Speaker 2: He needs like some kind of ability where you can't tell who all of a sudden, everybody looks like a oo foe, Like you can't tell who's on your team and who's colors.
Speaker 3: Go away, and you're just like that.
Speaker 2: What I would like to see her? I would like to see on the oh beyond her would be crazy. Doom would be Doom is the antagonist of the story. Incredible to see Doom. I'd like to see some more cool villains. You know, there's a lot of cut heroes, but some like Deep. I would like to see Kingpin and there is like a brawl Tank.
Speaker 3: Would okay, So Kingpin was definitely on my list. I also am very excited if they really do bring the Fantastic Four because I think Sue is just such an interesting character in that game, as like the Aultmate Shield I also want to see. I love that they have Squirrel Girl and that they've made her just as like powerful and badass as she's very powerful.
Speaker 2: Her alt is really it's devastating.
Speaker 3: What about like I would love to see, like what if they go in like the power Pack and you always play as like them and it's like out.
Speaker 2: That would be really fun because this Hulk, I would love to grab one of these little power Pack kids by the anchor bash.
Speaker 3: Of the Hulk Smash power Back.
Speaker 2: I will say I've seen So there's uh, they're talking. There's some leaks now about characters that will arrive. Read Richards is one of them. A little too Zaddy read Richards. He's he's The character design that I've seen is like, why is Reid this good looking? He will to realize.
Speaker 3: Because he's got gray hair. They're like, he's sexy. But I want to know is can they get Reid's powers right in this game, because that is I think one of the biggest challenges, and if they do, then we can feel very hopeful about the Fantastic Four movie, more hopeful than we already feel. Another leak that I'm really excited about. One of my all time favorite Marvel characters who I think would be fantastic in this is Emma Frost.
Speaker 2: Yes there are okay see her.
Speaker 3: They've been teasing her. What role do you think she would have?
Speaker 2: I think you could see her as a tank I think so because she goes diamond forman.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm gonna say. Damn it should take Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, I also could there's too many what is the name I forget for a duelist? Right is the damage character? There's like sixty five percent of the characters are are duelists, so you need tank and support. I could see her either as a support character who links minds and links healing. You know, Warlock has a thing where he does a life bond and when he bonds the team together for a period of time, any damage that one character takes it's spread across the team, so it kind of dampens the amount of damage a team can do and it spreads healing throughout the team. I could see Emma doing a thing like that where it's like mind link type.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everyone turns a bit diamond dish, Yeah, bit shiny.
Speaker 2: Geene Gray is another. Oh that would be so bad.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I can Also I love that they've been told me about like Angela, and I'm like, okay.
Speaker 2: As Angela would be nut.
Speaker 3: That's also insane because she was like Original and Spawn and ended up being in Marvel due to a lawsuit between Neil Gaiman and Tom McFarlane, and it's just like I would I love those kind of weird comic book myths. And also she has incredibly badass like hell powers, so I definitely would love to see that. I just think this is such a fun game, and.
Speaker 2: It's really really fun.
Speaker 3: I think it's for me as someone who has many nieces and nephews and has been dragged into many Fortnite matches in which I have died immediately after being hidden in a house that they built. I found Fortnite, even though I really wanted to play as like Godzilla wearing Jordan's and I wanted to play as you know, Jason Bohes or whatever, like, I never found it to be something I could understand how to play. But just in the weekend since this game you know, was released, I have actually found it very playable, very accessible, really fun, and there is an incentive as somebody who loves these characters to play the game. So that's the thing.
Speaker 2: If if you're a Marvel comics fan, if you're a Marvel movies fan, there are so many little things, little voice, little one off voice lines, like when you're waiting in the lobby to go into the combat zone, all the players are kind of cued up in this waiting room and you'll hear little snippets of conversation between a couple of characters, and it's perfect. I don't want to spoil any of the lines because the lines are perfect. And then the olt lines that they say, the team up lines are wonderful, and some of the team up moves are just really really fun, like a Wolverine and the Hulk can do a fastball special where the Hulk just throws Wolverine like at Iron Man. It is crazy to see it.
Speaker 3: It is just fantastic fun, fantastic good.
Speaker 2: I hope I don't patch it too soon because it's just everything that this happened. It feels like everybody, Yeah, it feels like a lot of the characters are like overpowered, and I kind of like it. I keep this for a little while for people like.
Speaker 3: Me, like, and I do think there is a lot of potential hair I've seen in the discord our discord users are loving it, and I definitely can't wait to squad up with the X ray Vision team. But I think there's also some fun potential hair to try and do some kind of like streaming with our discord or squatting up because it's just like it's so much fun, and I can't imagine how much more fun it will be when you're actually playing with people.
Speaker 2: You know, it's really fun. I mean, I would say my highlight was a you know, a capture of the point I forget, Like I think it's called conquest the game. Yeah, that's capture like three points and it was two healers, uh three duellists and one tank per team, and our tank was was Venom and their tank was four and it was like and the healers on both teams were like really effective. So't like in this middle I think it was like the Clert It was like the Symbia map sequence. And so we're just like fighting in this like round middle area and the two tanks Thor and Venom are just like toe to toe for what feels like a minute at a time, just agea wow, you like lightning. Everybody's just healing them, shooting at them, and just watching these two guys just go ape like beating the shit out of each other, nobody dying, like it would really take a lot to like bring either one of them down, and it was just like it was just it lasts like it's.
Speaker 3: Like really wow, that's really like it feels like you're in one of those insane battles where in ten years people are gonna read the comic and be like why was that and fighting Thor like what was that about? And you're like, I'm here in the moment, why are they doing? I don't know, but I love it. Yeah, it's great if you haven't played it yet, definitely check it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see you out there. Up next, Creature Commandos. Okay, Creature Commandos Episode one. We open with the news report there's a shocking and dangerous alliance between a ragtag extremist militia group named the Sons of Themyscarrett. Really kind of funny name.
Speaker 3: To David, I just feel like, very interesting, yes, that they are going this way. It tells us a lot. This is a controversial figure in Wonder Woman history. Brian Azarello, writer of Wonder Woman Volume four, he introduced this group that is essentially the like a male abandoned children of basically like the kids of Demisgerans who in this canon. In his head he imagines that they were abandoned at birth because it's women only. But this is also the man who introduced the Wonder Woman as a child of of rape. So it's a very controversial thing. I don't know if we're going to end up on that route, but I did think it was an interesting hint where we were going with the show. Very dark, I'm sure, but I'm more interested to see if there's a way where it's like a almost kind of more of like an MRA type thing. But yeah, as soon as I.
Speaker 2: Had that, I was like, oh, I think that's what I feels like where they're going.
Speaker 3: It feels like where it's going.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the Sons of Themiscare have teamed up with super villain s or C and they are currently threatening the US ally of Pacola Stan and something's got to be done about it. But of course this is the kind of mission that you don't send the just The Justice League doesn't do shit like this. Superman doesn't do stuff like this, not done in this universe anyway. Uh So you kind of need a black ops group and that means Amanda Waller. That means bell Rea to go to Bell Reef.
Speaker 3: I'm like, who else do you go to? If you want to help, you need someone who is expendable, go to amandal Wala, the most evil person in the DC And in case you didn't know, this is still our real Amanda Walla voiced by Viola Davis, multiple award winning thespian and she here. She is basically as the first crossover talent that we are getting here from James Gunn's previous work to the DCU, of which this is the official first entry. So that's very exciting, but also Amanda Walla sort your life out because you are very bad person.
Speaker 2: So I believe Amanda Walla is there. She's meeting with Daddy Rick Flag, Dad Flag, Rick Flagg Senior.
Speaker 3: Who Oh, he's sexy.
Speaker 2: I think a little too sexy for me, A little too sexy and non grizzled. I like a grizzled Rick Flag Senior.
Speaker 3: I need a grizzled I need I need more grizzle.
Speaker 2: He's no, he looks kind of like Green Arrow anyway.
Speaker 3: Wells he's voiced by Frank Grilla, who's very grizzled. You'll get more grizzled friend.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Daddy Flag is going to lead a new team that Waller is going to provide, of course, the personnel for. And unfortunately, after the debacle and Cordo Maltese, as seen in the second Suicide Side Squad movie, we can't use human superpowered agents anymore. That's off the table because they've decided after that death toll, we can't do it anymore. They're uncontrollable. And also they die and it's.
Speaker 3: Like they saved Quoto Maltese. They didn't listen to Walla. It was not a great time, we don't love the Suicide Squad project, I will say, very cool way to show how directly James Gunn sees these things connecting. Also interesting because those projects are not necessarily or haven't necessarily been talked about as being part of the DCU that specific project, but obviously we can see here that there is a direct connection, and.
Speaker 2: I love Yeah. I wonder how much like obviously I think live action to animated, to take those storylines and then connect them is rather easy. I do wonder how much we're going to see animated impact live action. Yeah, going forward in the gun verse.
Speaker 3: Something I think is cool is I do think that James gun is trying to make a statement with this being the first DCU project, especially because I believe that Rick Flagg Senior will be in peace Maker season two at played by Frank Rio. So I think that's pretty cool if they can do that, because I think for the average viewer of HBO Max dc projects, that will be a very quick way of saying, hey, both these things matter equally, and you better be watching the animated stuff if you can about what's going to be happening in peace Maker or Superman or any of the other projects we.
Speaker 2: Get so we can't use humans anymore. That leaves the monsters, of which Amandoler has several. We are introduced to the Bride, a dead woman of unknown origin, the radioactive doctor Phosphorus Weasel who we met in Suicide Squad, to the loan survivor in air quotes of the loan survivor in air quotes of the of the debacle at Cordo Maltese Giun. That's right, uh g I robot and advanced World War two. You're a terminator I who just loves to kill Nazis, wants to do it all day, all night, and wants to talk about it. And Nina a kind of a very sad amphibian scientist. The team boards a helicopter on route to Kolistan. The Bride has apparently been there before. We're going to find more about that the end of the episode. Uh. They land go to the Princess's palace in a military convoy. Weasel urinates in the humvey.
Speaker 3: You really get a sense that like a sense this is the edge Lord, like James Gun It's it's DC's invincible. I think that came across as a trailer and I think it comes across very much in the first episode.
Speaker 2: This is classic gun stuff exactly. I mean that he loves the weirdos. He loves weirdos finding family, and he is leaning into it big time here.
Speaker 3: He's also a super deep cut DC lover, and I was saying with Marvel, I mean nobody really like outside of comic book shops. Was a huge Guardians of the Galaxy fan before those MCU movies, So I think this is a great example of what he does well. But also, like your Miley, may vary depending on how much gore and pissing and that kind of stuff that you enjoy in these spaces, but if you're an invincible fan, I think you're probably going to find your new favorite show.
Speaker 2: In this one, they go to the palace and guess what, folks, the princesses gorgeous, beautiful woman. Flag Senior is struck by this, but he maintains for the moment his professional, you know character. There's some protocol issues and Alexi, the Princess's head of guards, pretends like he's going to have to execute Flag and he's like, Oh, you got scared. You thought I was going to kill you. You peuse your pants and then Flag gets riched the monsters and the palace guards. There are several references here to eighties pop culture from Alexi, and we kind of get the feeling that Alexi has not watched a television show or a movie that was released like after eighty eight or eighty nine.
Speaker 3: Yes, and also the Easterrike Hunt as they going to have a fun with this one. Yes, thanks to Alexi's lack of current pop culture knowledge.
Speaker 2: They have a feast. The commandos are eating really well because they have They've been eating Amanda Waller Bellery prison food for who knows how long. You know. Some of them are essentially immortal, so they might have been there for quite a while. The ancient Queen of Pacola Stan sits at the head of the table. She does not seem as if she's doing.
Speaker 3: Great, not doing well, not doing well.
Speaker 2: Nina, while they're sitting there, notices that Gi Robot doesn't have anything each, so she orders some diesel gas for him. Later on afterwards, after some digestifs, the Princess is playing fetch with Weasel. Gi Robot and Nina get to know each other and there seems to be I gotta say, some legitimate chemistry at least from GI Robots side, because GI Robots like Nina, I would love to kill Nazis with you. Would you like to get together sometimes?
Speaker 3: Isn't that? Isn't that romantic? Isn't that romantic?
Speaker 2: Also?
Speaker 3: I'm just thinking how funny it is a lot of times, you know, we're recapping stuff and you're we're kind of chatting about it, and if you haven't listened to it, then you might be like, kind of what's going on, or you might get a general sense of it.
Speaker 2: But this is definitely one.
Speaker 3: Of those shows where when you're recapping it, people would be like, what the fuck are you talking to?
Speaker 2: A weasel?
Speaker 3: And a robot's trying to have sex with like a sexy creature from the Black Lagoon? Like, but that's the magic of James gunfolksh.
Speaker 2: Flag and the Princess talk about Weasel, She's like, oh, so cute? Is what a nice guy?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Turns out weasel sadly killed like over two dozen children, which is he ended up?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Not great.
Speaker 2: The Princess is kind of complaining the Flag that Pecola Stan, you know, is not very developed, it's kind of backward, it's extremely corrupt, and she's hoping, although she doesn't say this explicitly, that when she's in charge, like she will get to modernize and you know, put in some progressive policies and change the country again. Chemistry, we're getting chemistry, certainly from chemistry.
Speaker 3: I'm like, how old is Rick Flaxenia though, is he like one of those one hundred and fifty year old DC characters?
Speaker 2: How old is the princess? And how old is Rick Fleggs? He here because this is an issue I know.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what's going on? Is she an ancient immortal vampire? Because otherwise it is feeling inappropriate.
Speaker 2: Flag talks about Flagg Junior, who very very sadly passed away at cal tomor weeked.
Speaker 3: We we like, if you haven't watched James the Suicide Squads, go and watch it. It is one of the best war movies ever made. Is one of the best DC movies ever made. Is one of the best superhero movies ever made. It's so freaking good and emotional and apparently very important to the creature and potentially the DCU.
Speaker 2: So I love this significant emotional uh like machinery comes from that Suicide Squad movie and Dad Flag in this private conversation with the princess is like, you know, you would have loved my son. You guys would have hit it all. He good looking kid, you're a you're a striking young woman, and you two would have, you know, enjoyed each other's company. And then the princess is like, well, I'm into Daddy's I'm into dad flags.
Speaker 3: So that's what we're into now. Is She's like, I don't want Joel Kineman.
Speaker 2: I don't think Joel Kineman is that, you know, charismitic in actor.
Speaker 3: She's incorrect.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking about the grill.
Speaker 3: I want to get the grill.
Speaker 2: I want to get the So she goes up to her bedroom with a Flag senior in tow and she's like, I want to show you something, and Flag Senior's like, what do you got? And then she steps out of her dress. Flag singor is like, oh my god, what And she is really trying to raise that flag. She is trying to fuck fucking daddy Rick Flaggs.
Speaker 3: She's trying to raise the flag pole. It's happening.
Speaker 2: It's happening now. Flag very honorably declines he's got a job to do.
Speaker 3: Prof was a fat.
Speaker 2: That I'm like, Rick, good job.
Speaker 3: I feel like you're trying to show like there's like r rated behavior in this like you could have gone straight into it, but I like you're like, no, this character he's got integrety. He's got He maybe realizes this woman would be bater off with his dead son, so like he realizes that's not necessarily he.
Speaker 2: Doesn't want to create an international incident, and so he goes back to his bedroom and jerks off. Probably he doesn't do that.
Speaker 3: Probably, but let's be real.
Speaker 2: When the next scene happens, you see him on his phone, and my guess is this is five minutes after he just got down. Look, we're just being realistic, guys, and goes and immediately do his revage. I saw, and uh. We get a kind of sweeping, kind of uh conveyance of scenes that show us what's going on in the castle. Gi Robot is at the princess's door, talking to himself about how he loves to kill Nazis. Nina is taking a bath fully under the water. When she emerges, she notices that the bride has jumped out of the window and is leaving the castle. She follows. Nina tries she's trying to convince the bride to come back, you know, because Rick flagg Sor, as with previous suicide squad teams, has the ability through an app on his through the Bell Reeve app on his phone easy has the ability to like electrocute end or like explode any member of the of the Monster the Creature Commandos if he so wishes through this app. And She's like, we're gonna get electro shocked at the very least, but the.
Speaker 3: Bride's blown up, but the very wistle.
Speaker 2: But the bride is like who cares? She mugs a guard for some cash and then hails a cab. Flag wakes up to find that doctor Phosphorus is like going through his drawers of his like bag lies like trying to like rob him. They end up having a fight in which they a large part of the struggle is control over Flag's phone so he can't get into the app and blow up phosphorus head. They end up in the kitchen. As they fall through the floor, Flag and Phosphorus are like duking it out. The princess walks in on them, uh, and Flag beats Phosphorus, but then ultimately is like listen, if we can't if Waller finds out about this. We're all cooked, like the creature commanders are cooked. You are cooked. You're probably dead, and project and is cooked. Baby, it's gonna look bad for me. So like, let's just like sweep this under the rug and forget this ever happened. But don't try shit like this again. In the cab, Nina and Bride arrive at their destination. It's the castle of doctor Frankenstein.
Speaker 3: Oh don't dune. Also, I just want to say, Frankenstein, Nina, that's a girl's gal. Like she went with her. She was like, you know, you're not doing this by yourself. You're not doing this by yourself. That's a girl's gal. And now where did she end up? At the castle of doctor Frankenstein, which I'm sure just doesn't seem like it's gonna go well for anyone. So Nina and the Bride are on their feminist side quest and they arrive at the manor of Dr Frankenstein, where the bride was born. But bad news for them because local spy witnesses their arrival and she calls into her boss, not Victor Frankenstein, the doctor, but Eric Frankenstein, frank Stein's monster, and he says, Hey, the girlfriend your dad made for you, the one you've been looking for, She's back, baby, bab.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts on the first episode of Creature Commandments.
Speaker 3: I think I understand why James Gunn decided to start the DCU officially with this. It's like, really really solid like it. It's a no note type of situation. It's like a really really great pilot for a really weird animated show that probably no one but James Gunn could do. Also, and I feel like this is intentional and if not, I think that to the fans it will read as an important statement. We've talked about this a lot on the show. DC has for a very long time been seen as the four front runner in animated movies. For a long time before the MCU, people used to say DC was making the best superhero movies full stop, because they were still making animated films that hit really hard. So I think that this is a recognition of the importance of animation in the DC universe and also a statement of intent from James Gunn saying, Hey, this is gonna matter again, and not just that, but it's actually gonna shape what we're doing. The fact that they connect it to Suicide Squad, which, like I said, the Suicide Squad is one of my favorite movies. And also I love how strange James Gunn gets with it. Like, you know, I do know if I'm I really enjoy Invincible and stuff. But I'm a bit older now, you know, I don't necessarily need every cartoon to be like an rated cartoon like Invincible, same vox MARKA, even though they're both great. But for me, the heart of the characters is their little choices flag not sleeping with the princess, flag letting Dr Foster for us off. He's already building those found family moments, and also the intrigue of you know, for a lot of people these characters, except for the bride, who is recognizable as obviously like the Bride of Frankenstein, they are not necessarily hugely recognizable characters, even like Nina is a take on you know, the creature from the back of the Lagoon. But what a clever hook to have them end at a really really famous literary and cinematic location that immediately draws people in, even if they might feel like this is a little bit far outside of the ven diagram of like a list of superheroes. So yeah, I think it's really good. I also think that I'm so interested to see how James gun balances something like this and the tonal nature of something like this with having Superman being his first live action movie like Sons of Demiscerret, is that going to be something we see in super Man? Is he seeding stuff here that will lead in That's very fun to think about, and also Superman needs to be We haven't had like a pure hearted golden boy Superman in live action for a long time, you know, post Man of Steel and everything. So I'm and you know he's releasing images with Crypto the Superdog and Superman, so I feel like we're gonna get that. So I'm just interested to see how those two blend together. But I do think if anyone can do it, it's it's James Gunn.
Speaker 2: What do you think the the body count is going to.
Speaker 3: Be here with the I think it's going to be so high.
Speaker 2: It is a feature of the Amanda.
Speaker 3: Waller, Yeah, Teamanda wall of Us.
Speaker 2: That they many of them don't come back. That's so I will say.
Speaker 3: I do think he's done something quite clever here, which is he is Essentially, these are characters who it's very easy to give plot armor two Robot Dot Fosporus like weird science y blaming guy. Nina essentially could be immortal. She's like a creature from the back of the bride. You can take her apart and put her back together again. So I hope, I hope that they will probably last a while. There isn't a huge, massive cast of characters like there was for that the Suer Squad Side Squad movie, but I do think that we're going to get a lot more death than we got in this first episode. I would assume that by episode two, episode three, we're seeing quite a lot of righteous killing because because the creature Kimandos have always been that last ditch squad that you send in when it's need them to come back or if you need them to be painted as villains, which is obviously the same as the Suicide Squad, but here it's even easier because you can convince really anyone that a monster is the worst person to have in the space. So I'm very interested. I will be very intrigued to see how this lands as well, because let's be real, X Men ninety seven was easily one of the biggest shows of the year, So I think people are primed for great animation and primed to take great animation as seriously as they take live action. So yeah, it's gonna be gonna be interesting to see where it goes next.
Speaker 2: Creature Commanders Episode two, following directly on the heels of episode one, Episode one, Rosie We opened in eighteen thirty one. Mm hm Picola, Stan Victor Frankenstein, the creator and father of his son Eric frank Sismonster are arguing about whether it is more and right for Dad to make Eric a girlfriend. Is No, this is an edge old fable, guys, No, it's not right, but Eric is is extremely lonely and frustrated and it's making him kind of violent. Uh. Dad shows the body parts that his mortician has acquired for this process, an area he's in love with. We go to the present. The bride and Nina are in the you know, the abandoned Frankenstein's mansion and they're we're kind of looking around. Nina's like, why are we here? And the bride doesn't want to want to say back of the palace flag. Fresh off his fight with doctor Phosphorus, he is bleeding, he's bruised, he's in the bathroom. Uh, he is considering. He's got his phone open, so he's like considering whether to cook the creature commandos with his electrical charge on his phone app.
Speaker 3: I love this so much as well, because, like you know, there's always that debate of like do you use the phone and the bass him or not? Like who does and who does it? And it's like when we talk about it, we're talking about like do you scroll Instagram or like message your friends when you're in the bathroom. And he's like in there with this universal conversation like what should I do in the bathroom? Should I kill all these people or not kill them with my app in my phone? And I was like, great, this is fantastic. So the Princess is ministering to his wounds.
Speaker 2: She closes the door, and you know, she's wiping the blood off and all the wild flags. I understand that this is like, obviously this is not ideal. I'm here to protect you and I just got in a fight with one of my team, but I promise I'm they'll protect you. Under protect your government. We go back to Cossa. Frankistein Nina continues to, you know, just kind of probe about you know, what was it like here with the mansion you were born, here was like, uh, they find Victor's lab. Nina is very impressed by this, and the bride shows Nina the table where she was reanimated. This is interesting to me because what it suggests, Rosie is that in this DC universe, there is no Mary Shelley never wrote Frankenstein. Right, there's no there's no Frankenstein movies.
Speaker 3: This is just.
Speaker 2: That's right, They've never seen this in movies.
Speaker 3: Like, it's just this really interesting too, because the version of the Brider Frankenstein movie is actually like a play on Mary Shelley's life, so like, the whole thing is really surreal. And I love that you pointed that out because I think we're getting a lot of conversation, rightly so, and discourse about like what has James gunn canonized with this show. Peacemaker obviously, the Suicide Squad obviously, but I love that it's also establishing, like, no, some of your most famous fables in the world, your most famous folkloric tales, the first science fiction but the whole time don't exist.
Speaker 2: It doesn't Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I recognize this from the movie. So this is like Frankenstein came and like, woke you up? Right? No, no, I wonder how that will impact the world going forward.
Speaker 2: I'm very insighted. I wonder, right. So Nina and the Bride argue about whether Nina is human. The Bride's like, you can't.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 2: You don't understand what it's like to be me or the rest of the team because you're a person. She's like, I'm not a person, creature.
Speaker 3: Commando like you.
Speaker 2: She's like, no, you're just like a person with gills, Like it's not You're not like that.
Speaker 3: It's like such an outrageous thing to say, because it's like, babe, guess what, You're just like human parts chopped up and put back together. Like surely you're actually arguably more human if you really need that.
Speaker 2: Nina's like, what are we looking for? And she's like a necklace, a tormaline necklace. We see war history of the Bride. We see Victor teaching her to teaching her to speak. When she was awakened, she had no higher functions. She was, you know, didn't know anything. So while Victor is teaching her you know, the rudimentary speech. Eric is increasingly impatient. He just wants to make out with his girlfriend that was created for him, and Victor is like, no, we have to we have to get her so that she understands you.
Speaker 3: Can't just have sex with this woman with the brain of a baby. Yes, correct, Sorry guys. In the meanwhile, you know, Victor's teaching her words. He shows her this necklace and she is enchanted by it and clearly still is.
Speaker 2: We go to the present. The sons of them Ascia have been informed by the spy and they and Circe now know that Nina and the bride are at the doctor Frankenstein's house. We go to the palace present day. I feel like this.
Speaker 3: Is like if I have an issue, I like, I don't. I guess, like I still don't really understand same the central issue.
Speaker 2: Like I was, whyte Pacola stead?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like why is she doing the side quest? I like the side quest? You know, David Habba playing Frankenstein. That's a great costing. Like, I love this idea, but I feel like trying to so far it hasn't shown me how it kind of ties him with this large and narrative and I'm fine with that, But then having it be like Circe and thermoscare Circe and the sons of Thermoscara now know they're there, I'm like, why does that matter? Like why I.
Speaker 2: Need a little bit more, you know, about what their plan is? Because I agree with you. It's a little bit like why are we here? M hm, small note. Anyway, back in the palace the princess, why are we here? It finally happens boo.
Speaker 3: We were giving him so much credit episode wrong. We were like, this man has integrity, this man knows what's wrong or right, and he does not.
Speaker 2: The princess, uh, you know, really puts the burners to the flag Senior and makes it clear that she would like to take things physical. And so then, much like Sonny and the Godfather won, he and the Princess fuck in the bathroom, says could.
Speaker 3: I feel Yeah, go anywhere else.
Speaker 2: As the rest of the Creature commandos plus Alexi, chief of the guards outside listen to this happening, we go back to Frankencin's mansion. The bride continues to reminisce er ed. We see that in the past Eric kind of strangles his dad not to death, but strangles him because he's so frustrated in not being able to touch the bride.
Speaker 3: Yet he's like so horny that he asks to try and kill his dad, who has been in the present, Nina finds a necklace good for help in the past.
Speaker 2: Victor teaches the bride to speak. The bride clearly enjoys Victor's company. The chemistry starts flowing a little bit. Victor gives her the necklace and he says romantically it's from one of the cadavers, and she's like, I love it now pause here, this plus flags a little too much daddy stuff, a lot.
Speaker 3: Of weird daddy issue, like.
Speaker 2: Because he's kind of HER's if.
Speaker 1: He's Eric's father, he is also hurt he is also the bride's father.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, I just also feel like, if you're gonna this, I agree with you completely. Here. I was definitely like, look, if you want to have multiple weird toxic relationships, that's fine. Yeah, DC comics is known for them. All comics are known for them. But why do they all have to be like weird daddy issue toxic relationships, Like, like's mix it up a little bit, Let's make a different kind of trope.
Speaker 2: Let's let's put a pin at it, because I want to I want to return to this conversation when this this particular plot line escalatees. So we go to the present where the Bride pretends she takes the necklace from Nina and pretends like she doesn't really care about it, but it's not important, but she wants it. Uh. Just then Circe arrives and blasts the Bride with her blast through the from the outside of the house back of the palace creature Commando's plus flag plus Alexi or getting ready to drive to Frankenstein's where Circe and the Bride are duking it out while the sons of Semiscira are invading the house.
Speaker 3: Why Like why are they going there? This is what I mean, Like, I'm like, how did it? It doesn't to me feel like that connection of the side quest And I guess he has like find my location on his phone, probably with the creature kmmandos and he's like, well, I've had sex with the princess now, but I go find out what my team is.
Speaker 2: But I guess, you know, I guess he was like, well, I thought this might We're in Pekolistan, so this mansions there, so she did love that necklace, she didn't love that, and so I figured, you know, this might be a possibility that she might sneak away and go back to where she was born like that happened.
Speaker 3: I just feel like they could have just had the mission originally be to go to Frankenstein's palace and Frankenstein's castle and we didn't necessarily need the princess plot line.
Speaker 2: I will say this written and directed by James Gunn both episodes. James Gunn busy guy, a lot of projects to oversee, to going to produce, et cetera. And I enjoyed these episodes quite a bit. That said, light on story, and I feel like vibes light on story, Yeah, big on action. James Gun's a busy guy. That's what my bottom line is.
Speaker 3: I also did just have a bit of a revelation, which is, like you said, many projects, and also anything he does in this show immediately becomes canon and sets this kind of stage. So maybe the fact, maybe you go for more vibes and character interactions and character moments than necessarily like a strict narrative, because as soon as you start laying down those hard narrative choices, they become canon. So doing it a little bosa, I think is it makes a lot of sense actually, And also like the Circy Bride fight is like very cool.
Speaker 2: It's very cool. So we get this wonderful fight between the Bride, the sons of Themiscarra, and Circe, where it ends up with the bride kind of leaping outside with Nina under her arm into a group of sons. She kills all the sons very easily, and then she tells Nina like run. Then Circe and the Bride start fighting. The fight carries back into the house, into the lab where she was born, and that is where the bride loses focus because she remembers on that very table where she was born she also fucked Victor Frankstein.
Speaker 3: Come on, like, could you not just like not have that flashback at that very.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing, here's my here's my note, and this is James Gunn So I get it, and this is is vibe. I will say this. I think that there are other ways to show that somebody loved somebody else that aren't just like they're fucking like. There are other things and I.
Speaker 3: Feel like you could have had like a tender moment like the bromance, so like the books that they or some of that kind of Gothic romance that isn't just like hey, they're fucking they're fucking younger, woman's fucking adapt bigger. Hey. Also like it's hilarious the idea that like, you know, she has that like moment and instead of it like distracting her from a job, but as a barista, as it does for many of us, it's like, oh no, I'm thinking about how I was fucking this guy and now I'm gonna lose this fight that's gonna end the world. It's like it's silly, but I get it.
Speaker 2: So Circe starts winning the fight because the Bride is lost in these memories about her fucking her father figure Victor Frankenstein end. When this happened, Eric who is like eight foot tall and somehow managed just such so intense was their pleasure that they did not realize that Eric had snuck into a room and seen them. Now the Bride managed just to rally in the fight, and it's kind of even also has radio flag and when that has been more suns sneak up on her. They shoot her helmet and her water leaks out and she begins to suffocate. Meanwhile, the Bride gets pushed off the roof by Circe and she falls right next to Nina, and now they're lying together in this state of severe injury. We get the final reminiscence. The bride returns to the castle to find that Eric has murdered doctor Frankenstein because he feels like Dad was standing in the way of them getting together and now they can really be together. She sets Eric on fire, great flees the castle, and then we see a montage of her fighting Eric, who is basically her stalker throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, great, great moment here. If you're looking for Easter eggs, think about how this connects.
Speaker 2: Yeahs.
Speaker 3: Eric is wearing this yellow Ultra Bunny T shirt and it was like a T shirt Rick flag War in the Suicide Squad movie. And somebody this up to James Gunn on the interwebs and he said, oh, and this is an interesting piece of cannon. He said in his DCU Ultra Bunny is like one of the most famous cartoon characters in the world. So that sounds like he's gonna that's gonna probably come up. But like, I'm at a crossroads at the end of this episode because I do like the idea of like this kind of twist on the Frankenstein mythology and this twist on having Frankenstein as part of the Creech Commandos, but also like I would just like love to just have like a bad ass brider Frankenstein who hadn't been stalked for like two hundred years.
Speaker 2: He's he won't join, right, they can't have it er.
Speaker 3: I don't think so, but I will say he is in a lot of the promotional materials. Yeah, so I'm interested.
Speaker 2: And David Harbor is the voice.
Speaker 3: David Harbor is the voice, and David Harbor has been out here doing interviews, including a really fantastic interview with my brilliant French Woul's Chin at DC dot Com. Just absolutely lovely chat. So I feel like that means he is going to be a major player, but maybe maybe is an intagon antagonist, which would be because I think you can't I think did this you can't have him in the team.
Speaker 2: He's been stalking this woman for two hundred and forty years or something like or one hundred and eighty years, like he can't he can't be a good guy, right, No, it feels bad anyway, Nina and the Bride are they're injured, and the Bride is like, I'm sorry to Tanina, and Nina like coughingly, suffocatingly says, go fuck yourself, and then they are taken prisoner by the suns. Don don da, I'm enjoying it. I'm enjoying Suture commandos. I have some small notes as we Yes, as we have mentioned, yes, we think the Daddy still a little bit too much of the Daddy. And again I think that like not every act of love needs to be a a really like intense exactly. Yeah, you see Victor Frankensigin's like buns like cle and.
Speaker 3: He's getting that that bringing all those people to life is apparently really good for your cardio. But okay, what I saw a lot of controversy online basically people thinking that Nina was dead at the end of this episode or was gonna go way at no way, right, no, Nina, miss I feel like with these first two episodes, they've really set Nina and the Bride up as kind of the main characters, so I would completely I think episode three, we're probably going to find out more about the Sons of Themiscare are find out if they truly are the abandoned sons of the Women of Themiscira, which was only in like one kind of version of the the legend. If that is the case, it's going to be very interesting to see where the DCU version of Wonder Woman kind of what direction it goes, because the general version of Wonder Woman's creation is she was made of clay by her mother brought to life, but in the version with the Sons of Themiscara, the comic book version, she is Hippotolys raped by Zeus and then that's how Wonder Woman is born. So I'm interested to see where they go. But I think it feels to me, especially in a world post she Hulk, that kind of did such a good job of predicting what the fandom would say. With the case of the kind of MRA characters, I think it's more likely that this is going to be some kind of modern like Andrew Tait inspired movement. But they've taken the name because you know, men aren't allowed on demisteras, so they see that as oppression.
Speaker 2: What does Amanda Waller do all day? What is her work day? Like I think she's just.
Speaker 3: Like, you know, playing Candy Crush because honestly she's not. She is like not focused and her job like it's kipy hard. And also she has like a she has a daughter we now know, the peace Maker, So I'm like, is she just like at home with the family pretending to be like a homemaker, And also like why is she always sending these unstable men to be in charge of her teams? Like like, couldn't you just have like one person, could a James Gunn's wife who seems like a very sensible moral person in the DCU that agent shouldn't couldn't she go? I understand they're meant to be dispensable, But I feel like the more Amanda Waller in the DCU goes forward, the less sensible her choices are around these teams, like bringing peace Baker into it, like he's a psycho. His dad was literally like a Nazi, Like this is a terrible idea. And now it's like, oh, you got this team with a guy who's too distracted having sex so he can't even blow people up when they run off to Frankenstein's fucking a client. Amanda, Amanda, you sent them to the place where the Bride of Frankenstein was created, and then you just expected her to stay there, he head blowing up.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you send a different agent. You don't need to send the bride to Coli. Stant I feel like just anyone else. But yeah, I wonder.
Speaker 3: I do think she's just like scrolling. She's just like scrolling and going to bellrare like taunting criminals. You know, she's a bad person, but definitely not a busy person because she is never doing the work, never do She's always sending someone else to do it.
Speaker 2: Coming up next, let's talk about some of the comic book roots of the Creature play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're back, Okay, Rosie.
Speaker 2: For those of our audience who aren't you know Superversion into DC or Creature Commandos in general, what are some of the things that we should know as we go into Creature Commandos the animated show.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's just start with the origins. Preach Commandoes were first introduced in Weird War Tales ninety three, classic DC title you've probably never heard of, but they were created by J. M. D. Pat Broderick, John Salado, Adrian Roy and Ben Oder obviously first two names there are massive names in combook history, and essentially it's like a reimagining of a war comic where Frank sized monster, a werewolf, and a vampire universal monsters by any other name are essentially pitted against Nazis in World War Two. And it was very b movie ish, very pulpy. But the thing that I think is really really interesting is that Dimitaeus basically came up with a great twist on why and how they were created, which was essentially that in an alternate World War Two, the US government wants to psychologically horrify their enemies on the battlefield, and they discovered that the most terrifying archetypes are the ones that humans have created, and they basically recreate them. But the thing that I think is really interesting that I'm most intrigued to see if they bring into Crete Commando's the TV series and like future versions of it, Mattheus Essentially Dimitaeus actually like made it so they were all experimented on and it's like very horrific, and like the were wolf is this guy called Warren Griffith who suffered from a mental illness that made him think he was alike in Thrope, and then they basically like forced him to manifest a physical version of it through torture. And then they didn't recruit an actual Dracula, they found this guy, Vincent Velcro, who is also back again in the really brilliant current DC Horror presents Creature Commando's book written by David Desmulchin and DC on screen Legend two, and he was essentially like a prisoner of war after committing a numerous amounts of crime, and they basically were like, will you agree to hundreds of months of like horrible torture to evade your sentence? And then he didn't know, or you guess he didn't know from reading the issues that they were going to inject him with bats blood and he turns into a vampire. And then the saddest one is is the Frankenstein's Monster one is essentially a vet who was blown up by a lamb mine and then gets put back together. So it's like it could have been like this really simplistic story that you just go like, whoa monsters fighting in World War two? But Demitis plays it with like absolute emotional heft from the very first bubble, speech, bubble and thought bubble that you get and caption is essentially this emotionally complex story where at the end like they kind of have this realization where even though obviously when they're fighting nazis great, but the real story is actually about the horrors of war and the way that soldiers are treated and the kind of exploitation of prisoners, all stuff that I think James Gunn covered really beautifully in the Suicide Squad movie. So I'm really interested to see how deep they go. For example, later on in the series, I do feel like this is something that James Gunn would not be afraid to touch on. But they're in the Children's Crusade, which was a story they had years before the more famous Marvel's Children's Crusade. They basically face off against like a group of child soldiers that Hitler trained, and while the monsters won't kill them, their evil leader, who I'm interested to see if he comes into it, because he is in the current comic and he's basically the true monster, is like the marine who's in charge of them, Matthew Shreve, who's like really evil. He does kill the children and then that is basically has this really famous line where the vampire Vincent Valkro great name, he basically says, like, in this contest, nobody wins, and it's like really bleak over the dead bodies of the kids. So I feel like this is very ripe for James Gunn. I feel like he's already, like I said, he's already done all a lot of that stuff in The Suicide Squad. I found that movie to be like incredibly moving and deep and kind of powerful, And I think he is so quickly connecting that movie to the show because he sees those parallels and in the New Creature Kimano's book that Smulchin's definitely doing the same thing. So I'm interested to see The first episode was very much in that Invincible vein kind of funny, kind of sexy, kind of violent. But I'm interested to see how quickly it beers closer to the comic book origins, where it's a bit more of a melancholy, a bit more of a sadness. Now, I will say some of James Gunn's work got into the Galaxy until the third movie, which obviously had this huge kind of storyline about exploitation, torture, and testing on animals, but some of sometimes he prefers to do something a little lighter, a little more fun. But I do feel like, generally, especially the origins of the Heroes and Creature Commandos is much more melancholy and weird and sad and deep than you would expect, even though like throughout the years they've been all different kinds of of in, all different kinds of comics and all different kinds of guys is But yeah, that my gut says there might be more to this than meets that.
Speaker 2: I watch the team itself, The Bride, Doctor Posteros, wesel Gia, Robertina.
Speaker 3: The interesting thing here is they didn't include Matthew Shreve, which I think is really interesting because he's generally seen as like that store, that kind of application of like the real monsters of the humans. It's also interesting that we have Rick Flagg Senior because in the Suicide Squad, Rick Flegg Junior is actually right the person with the moral heart at this center of the story who ends up being spoiler alert if you haven't seen this movie from a few years ago, killed by Peacemaker in order to keep Amanda Waller's secret that the Americans were behind the Quarto Maltese kind of horrific torture and experiments that were going on. So I would imagine that Rick Flaxenia has ulterior motives. I think we'll be hopefully seeing him in Peacemaker on some kind of revenge. But interestingly, this is from what I've researched and read like, this is mostly a new team, not having like a Frank like having the Bride instead of your classic Francancised monster really cool, a new thing. Also having Nina Mazerski rather than having like one of the DC aquatic characters or like a male creature from the Black Lagoon. There are some characters who cross over, but this is honestly pretty new territory. And interestingly, Vincent Velcro is like one of the recurring characters, and obviously we don't have him so far, so I think James Gunn is trying to say this is a new thing. I also wouldn't be surprised if we get like a flashback episode that reveals this isn't like the first team that Amanda Walla has done this with.
Speaker 2: Is Nina Maserski. I've always wondered this is she related to Abe Sabien.
Speaker 3: Dude, I'm always thinking that, but Abe Sapien. Technically, I know it's a different I know it's it's a different universe, but like, but we'll still need feels like especially I think also like it's easy to think of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Because and they have the same they do the same.
Speaker 3: Look, so similar stuff. Also, Nina Mazerski's created by Jeff Lamiir and Ibrahm Robinson and obviously Roberson and obviously Jeff Lamir had dark Horse books at the same time.
Speaker 2: Black by the Way, a major recurring character in the Hellboy universe.
Speaker 3: By Mike mcgnola, who used to do DC stuff did Gotham by Gaslamp, one of the coolest Batman kind of Elseworld stories that the originator of the Elseworld story really and they were at dark Horse at the same time. And I do feel like when Jeff introduced her in Frankenstein Agents of Shade, which was obviously a riff on Agents of Shield, I do think that this must have been in his head. Like I feel like it's one of those things where like if your friend, like Jason, if me and you were doing different books, and you were doing a book at DC and I was doing a book at Marvel. We would definitely create some kind of headcanon where we're like, yeah, these are brothers and sisters, and then ten years later, when we're famous enough to we'd be like, hey, so what turns out they are really? Yeah, it turns out they're related. Sorry, you know, if you if you don't like to hear it, Jim shoot R or whoever's in charge, But like I will be. I'm just interested to see what happens. Because Nina also does have a in the Jeff Lamier version, she is like one of the originators of the Creature Commandos, which I do think potentially we could see here. Also, she lost like her kid at like the terminal illness, which kind of moved her towards science, so we could get some of that could also explain why she's such a girl's girl. Also, interestingly, she has connections to like the atom and stuff. I think Nina could be our main I feel like she might emerge as the main character, even though this episode, I will say I feel like she was more on a side quest. But I do think that she is important and hey, you know Mike Mignolo, Jeff Lamira. If you want to come on here and reveal that we are correct, please, You're always welcome.
Speaker 2: We love both of you. Well, we are going to continue to cover Creature Commandos and if you really want us to continue, yeah, please please let us number and we could continue to watch it at the very least. Well. In the next episode of Extra Vision, we're diving into Dune Prophecy one oh four and Skeleton Crew episode one O three Thursday. Plus next week we've got more TV recaps, video game breakdowns, and of course more of our Egger's retrospective. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening. Bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Kitsupsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Lron and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi A Disco Moderata