Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan Ed's Dan Patrick Show. Glad to have you on board. Come on in, stay awhile the great actor Lawrence Fishburn. He's in John Wick so so in the Matrix he plays Doc Rivers in the series about the Clippers Clipped. He'll join us a little bit later on Niners tight End George Kittle tight End University where they had their three day seminar him, Greg Olsen, and Travis Kelcey. That'll be coming up. He'll join us a little bit later on this hour. But I think tight End University, by the way, Iowa is now tight End University. The University of Iowa has had more tight Ends playing in the NFL than I think any other school. So George will join us coming up a little bit. Always great to talk to him. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show, and we say good morning if you're watching on p thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country as well. The pole question from the first hour, Seat and the results and what Are we going to go with hour two on this program?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's a little bit of recency bias, but we have up there which team is having the worst week? Unfortunately, the Lakers are run away with that one. All right, we're gonna put up there the inverse of that, who's having the best week? It's all Celtics, Panthers or the Huskies of Yukon. Game five will be back in Boston. Could you imagine if Dan Hurley went to the Celtics game. Celtics have a chance to win the titles, So he's not going in there to try to bigfoot Joe Missoula.
Speaker 2: He's just going in there to maybe take a victory. Left, just to say to the New England, Hey just want to say I'm back and I'm staying. And round of applause for Dan Hurley there.
Speaker 4: Yes, Tom, they put him on the screen and he's wearing a Celtics jersey. Yeah, who's their mind?
Speaker 2: Yeah that'd be nice, But he's on the recruiting trail. Todd reached out to Yukon. They said that he appreciates the invitation, but he's going to be recruiting and I don't blame him. It's like when a coach wins a national title and then Nick Saban picks up the phone calls the recruit while there's celebration confetti, and he's saying, Hey, you could be part of this, or you'd have a coach in college who would do the same thing. Hey in basketball, Hey you could be part of this. Dan Hurley can do that today. No matter where he goes. He's got a great opening line. I'm here to coach you. I turned down the opportunity to coach Lebron James. Come on in, be a part of this. Yeah.
Speaker 3: If Dan Hurley shows up Game five in Boston, he's got the Celtics screen on. They show him on there, he waves, the crowd goes nuts, and Joe Missoula goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, no, no, no, it's good. It's good. I'm glad. I'm glad. He's no, Joe is en route to winning a title. He's okay, contract extension, everything's good.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm saying too excited about the coach here.
Speaker 2: It's good. That's great. Now, if Dallas happens to win the next two, I can't go back for Game five. If you're Dan Hurley, then you got to wait till game seven. Maybe, yes, Mark.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go to stores and personally deliver those two Con shirts. Oh, our two Con shirt and our back to back shirts, so maybe he wear it like you know what. Okay, little pop up, Yeah, little pop up, come on two Con let's go all right? And then I don't know how we can incorporate a three pet shirt, but you know that's in the works for next April.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right. By the way, great items there for Father's Day. We have the Dead Dad's Club t shirts and shotglasses, but we also have the bathrobes. The bathrobe that's modeled after the one my wife got me, and she put Daddy on the side of the pocket that you have and you can now have your very own daddy bathroom. Yeah, wear it proudly around the house as I do. All Right, So we have our pole question for hour or two, that's this glass is half full. Now we're thinking of the positive series.
Speaker 3: Let's not always be negative.
Speaker 2: We also have.
Speaker 3: This was from PAULI whose NFL coaching career. Would you want Mike Tomlin or Jimmy Johnson?
Speaker 2: Now I'm taking the college part of this as well. Do I get the college part of this or just the NFL.
Speaker 6: I'm hearing no, no, no, you're not getting in the pole question. It's whose NFL coaching career would you like? Jimmy Johnson comes out of the gate two titles and walks off into the sunset, never coaches again, but goes to the Hall of Fame. Mike Tomlin got a title I think his second year as a Steeler head coach and has done well the next fifteen years.
Speaker 2: He always has a winning record.
Speaker 6: Always has a winning record, but as not one again, who right now, whose career would you want?
Speaker 2: Well, No, Jimmy went to the Dolphins.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I guess I'd.
Speaker 2: Say it right off into the sunset. He went to the Dolphins. Similarly, No, they didn't do anything. That's yes. I mean, I don't know. Mike Tomlin got a contract extension, so, uh, hopefully Mike's happy. Never know if Mike's happy. Every time he gets in front of the media at the press conference will be like, next question, yeah, yeah, Russ is cooking. Uh No, we're not going to have Justin fields on kickoffs. Tomlin's going to be a Hall of Famer as well. He's going to have a career similar to, uh, let's see who else would you put in there? You know with the one title? Though, is Sean Payton going to be a Hall of Famer when it's all set and done, Like Bill Cower and Mike Tomlin have similar careers there in Pittsburgh and Cower's in, so Mike's going to get in, yes, Mark.
Speaker 5: I think where Sean Payton won his Super Bowl is a real big part of it because they were the eighths, yeah for a long time, and to turn that team into a super Bowl team is pretty remarkable.
Speaker 2: By the way, the Mavericks are favored by one and a half coming up tomorrow night, Game three in Dallas. Then you're I'm getting the sense though, if you're Dallas, like, now, what do you do differently other than how about making some shots? Because Boston hasn't played great, I don't think, but I think they've had players who have played great and collectively, like Dallas is going to look back on Game two and go, how did we not win that game? That game? Was there? That that haunts you, That's one that stays with you because you win that one. Now all of a sudden, okay, we split, we got what we wanted. Now we're coming back home. Then maybe you win game three. Now all of a sudden, you put pressure back on Boston. But losing Game two in a game that they should have won or figured out a way to win. Just Boston didn't play great. It just Dallas didn't either. All right, we'll get some phone calls in here. George Kittle will stop by coming up a little bit the headlines. Dan Hurley passes on the Lakers. Panthers handled the Oilers. They're up two to zero in the final and more NFL teams open up mini camps and Mike Tomlin gets a contract extension. Ross in Tampa, Hi, Ross, what's on your mind? Hey?
Speaker 7: Dan?
Speaker 8: How you doing good? First of all, I'd like to say your hair is just amazing, and I look to be like that soon. I'm forty one and I'm starting to get a bald spot, so I hate it. Anyways, the reason I think Hurley did not sign with the Lakers is because Lebron's going back to Cleveland. I mean he went to the playoffs playoff game with him. You know, he's got his coach and waiting JJ Reddick. He's going to bring him with him. Cleveland's got a stack roster. He's going to go home right right the end of the story. In Cleveland, they're going to draft Ronnie James. And that's how Hurley found out that he didn't want to be a Lakers coach.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's simple, Huh. Lebron's going to go to the Cavs. They'll take Bronnie jj Reddick's going to be the head coach. Okay, you know, it'd be a good way to bookend your career. You start and clear eve when you ended in Cleveland. I don't think it's gonna work that way. He loves La. You want to stay in La. Your business is in La, family's in La. He doesn't have unfinished business in Cleveland. He probably would say I got unfinished business with the Lakers. They're gonna take Bronnie. Son gets a chance to play a little bit. Lebron plays two more years perhaps then then it's over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Mark, going back to Dan Hurley, what if Dan just kind of likes it here like people do, Like you know what, I just don't want to move. Have you ever seen somebody that got a good offer somewhere else for another opportunity, like you know, what.
Speaker 2: I like you here.
Speaker 4: My wife and my kids like you here.
Speaker 2: I just don't feel like moving. Well, Mark Few at Gonzaga. I think he had opportunity at UCLA, maybe a couple opportunities, you know, Mike Ruyshevski turned down the Lakers, you know whatever that how many years ago was that that he turned them down? But he felt more comfortable at Douke. I'm trying to think who else would be Tom Izzo at Michigan State. He was going to take the Cabs job and then thankfully didn't because that was the year that Lebron left. He would have been taking the Cabs job and then he'd be coaching them without Lebron. But yeah, I think you find a lot of coaches who I'm comfortable here. This is what I want to do. I don't know if anybody ever approached John wooden't about coaching in the NBA. It feels like you would, but I don't know. I never heard anything where did the Lakers ever reach out to him or I mean, anybody any other team where you go, Hey, we would love to have And I don't know if coach wouldn't style would have worked in the NBA. Probably would have driven him crazy that he didn't have control over everything everybody. But I don't know if he was ever offered something like that. I don't know if Bob Knight was ever offered anything from Indiana or even Texas Tech. That style wouldn't have gone on gone overwell in the NBA. It didn't go over well in college. I mean there was success, but then that success that evaporated. But I couldn't imagine that kind of temperament coaching in the NBA. And I still look at Danny Hurley and I go that temperament. I don't know if you can have that personality every night and the losses that get to you. It's not the wins, you know, getting that win. It's athletes and coaches always talk about the losses like that's always the bottom line. Hey what about that that? I mean, we talked to Reggie Miller and go, oh god, why are you bringing that up? It still kills me that game or that moment we're up on that team. The wins, you expect the wins, it's the losses that stay with you. And I think you when you are a player at a Marquee school and you go into the NBA or the NFL, and you're not used to losing, and you never want to get used to losing, but then you do, you get numb to it. And same with coaches because the time and the effort that they put in and there's only so much they can control because they're not playing their coaching, and then all of a sudden, those losses and then they crush you. They just stay with you. You make one bad decision all that lead up to a game, and you got one decision that you made and you wish you could have reversed that. Like that's the kind of stuff that just hangs with you on a separate topic that has nothing to do with anything today. Although I did see I'm always curious about auction items at what people pay for certain things, like what is the value in that to you that maybe I don't see? And I saw where Tom Brady's pants from his last game that he ever played. I think they went for eight hundred thousand dollars. If I said you could have Tom Brady's pants or his jersey, what was it? How much was it?
Speaker 6: I got the final pants, not the pantsy war to the field, the pants he won the game game war pants eighty nine.
Speaker 2: Then, yeah, okay, I could see ponying up for Brady's pants eighty nine thousand. Do you display them like justin I don't know how you do it like in a I guess I would frame it and say, hey, there's Tom Brady's pants. Yeah, Seaton, Yeah, I'm sorry this is not on topic, but just back to the Lakers quickly.
Speaker 3: This, James brings up a great point. We're gonna have to have our our stat people check this out. But it's that out of the day. Is this the first time in NBA history a coach has declined a coaching offer from an INN season championship winner.
Speaker 2: I think that is the case.
Speaker 3: This might be the first time in season. Maybe people have forgotten that the Lakers won the nd season tournament. Yeah, but this could be the first time in history a coach has turned down the opportunity to coach the n season championship winner.
Speaker 2: I believe that is the case. Stan, Yeah, yeah, yeah, well done, James. Yeah to call the day stat of the day, James gets that stat of the day. Stat of the Day brought to you by a Panini America, the official Trading cards of the Dan Patrick show. Sure. Yeah, and they raised that banner. Remember Barkley came on and he's like, if they raised that thing, I'm gonna go rip it down. We're in season champions. Dang, yes, Paul.
Speaker 6: Imagine you're raising the banner. The fans are there.
Speaker 2: You put on some queen.
Speaker 9: We are the.
Speaker 3: We are the champions of the world this year mid season?
Speaker 7: Are those Tom Brady pants, by the way, signed? There was just a pair of pants that you would frame. I would I'd want a little something more. That's why I want a jersey because it says Brady on it, or if it's a signed helmet or somebody. But it's just a pair of pants and pewter or whatever. That doesn't seem very.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's autographed, probably not.
Speaker 4: But you know he's got a blend, you know, even if with the certificate of whatthenticity. Yeah, those are gratist pants. They are white with the stripe and the pewter.
Speaker 2: What if they're always pants from that final Super Bowl?
Speaker 7: I would rather put my money towards if it, if it costs more a jersey or a helmet or something more substantial.
Speaker 2: I don't think you're ponying up any money for anything.
Speaker 4: I don't not for that. What the kind of money they would ask for a couple hundred.
Speaker 2: Thousand dollars, you would not be even if it was eighty thousand dollars, you wouldn't pay for Elway's finals.
Speaker 4: I want that ball that Mark Jackson caught, that ninety eight yard drive ball.
Speaker 2: I've always wonted that that's the one you wanted.
Speaker 4: I would love that ball that Mark Jackson caught at the end of the ninety eight yard.
Speaker 2: Jogt see who has that. I don't know if it was ever auctioned off. A lot of times these guys will score and then you just spike the ball, you know, Dwight Clark on the catch, you just got it, spiked it. That was it. We didn't think anything about memorabilia back then. Frank O Harris, you know that there's a couple of people said that they have the football when Franco had the immaculate reception. Just I don't know certain things. Tom Dempsey kicks US six three yard field goal. I don't know if somebody said, oh, that's an all time record at the time, or Justin Tucker, when does he have the longest field goal at what's sixty eight yards? So I don't know if people in the moment go, who's the one who threw a ball away? Was it Mike Evans who would have been throwing away Brady's final touchdown pass?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Evan? Oh, yeah, that's right. Yeah, and then Brady came back. All right, we'll get to some phone calls here. The great actor Lawrence Fishburne will join us coming up next hour. Up next always fun to talk to George Kittle, the forty nine ers. We'll take a break. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, we're Cavino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to seven pm Eastern. But here's the thing, we never have enough time to get to everything we want to get.
Speaker 11: To, and that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Pro. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over promising things we never have time for.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you blubber list me, Well, you know, what it's called over promise. You should be good at it because you've been over promising women for years.
Speaker 11: Well, it's a Covino and Rich after show, and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also gonna talk life and relationships. And if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised.
Speaker 10: Well, if you don't get enough Covino and Rich, make sure you check out over Promised and also uncensored by the way, so maybe we'll go at it even.
Speaker 2: A little harder.
Speaker 10: It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 11: There you go, over promising, and remember you could see on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen Over Promised with Cavino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up. Take a break from the basketball talk, little football here. You got more teams who were showing up with mandatory mini camps. Mike Tomlin got a contract extension. We make way for George Kittle, the Niners tight end pro bowler five times his eighth season with the forty nine ers and they're back again. It's tight End University the fourth year. It's in Nashville. It's a three day event. So George is there with Greg Olsen and Travis Kelcey. The tight End community comes together to collaborate and learn from one another. So we make way for George Kittle to join us on the program. You know, when did your alma mater, When did Iowa become tight End University?
Speaker 9: Dallas Clark? Okay, I was, you know when you know I grew up. I got to go to Everson one of Dallas's games and just seen the way he played the game. I think that kind of just set the stage for Iowa tight ends. I think guys saw him and was like, he came in as a linebacker. You know, I not recruited heavily, had all no scholarship, earn a spot, became a great tight end, get strapped, and then goes on to do fantastic things in the NFL. And so I think that was kind of the start of it. And then I think you got all these no, not highly recruited guys that are just getting Hey, I was going to give me a shot to be a really good tight end and then I think the success just started coming back, you know, after that. And then then you have a nice little role there of myself, Hockinson, Noah Laporta, and now we're just kind of the pipeline's rolling.
Speaker 2: How is the position evolving in the NFL when you guys get together to talk about this at tight End University, how's it evolving?
Speaker 9: I think how it's evolving is that you have more guys that can do everything. You don't. You know, you don't just have like a two and seventy pound left tackle who's playing has a tight end number, and you don't just have like a tour and thirty five pound guy running choice routes. I think you're getting guys to are tour and fort and sixty pounds somewhere in that gap. But they're running, you know, they're running routes to catch the ball, they're getting open, they're being more than serviceable in the run game and pass protection game.
Speaker 12: And I think guys are just the whole.
Speaker 9: You know, you can look at their Madden stats, all their attributes are just going up just a little bit in all the categories, and like that's what I would like to do with you know, I don't. I don't like ten personnel, like, you know, four wide receivers, one running back to zero tight ends. Not a fan of that. I'm all for, you know, multiple tight ends in there running back. You know, maybe a fullback would rather have a tight end, unless it's juice maybe, but really it's just I just want guys to, you know, have the opportunity to, you know, be in this position where they're comfortable enough to be on the field for every situation, and you know how the confidence go execute in every situation.
Speaker 2: Did you guys Hayes Brock party.
Speaker 12: I did on the first day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what'd you do?
Speaker 12: I put an eyele football shirt in his locker.
Speaker 9: It was his first day. He pulled it out, he turned it, looked right at me, and he goes, what's this turn of my locker?
Speaker 12: I have no idea. Man, the eq guys here crazy.
Speaker 2: So the equipment guys, you blame them, huh.
Speaker 9: Uh, Well only for stuff like that. But is that was a pretty obvious.
Speaker 12: One on me.
Speaker 2: Okay, but at what point do you say, I don't know, is hazing still go on to the degree it used to back in the sixties or seventies.
Speaker 12: I mean I wasn't there for and I've heard some stories, but no, absolutely not.
Speaker 9: The most thing you know, I like to do is I'd just like to have a conversation with guy just to see what you know, kind of like a little little shot, if I can say that. But it's just like, how are you going to respond to me? And like are you gonna be like nervous? And am I is that? How like our relationship is gonna go? Or are you gonna be able to just throw me some singers right back at me? And I've enjoyed that, and that's one of the reason I like Brock so much because he was just throwing zingers right back at me.
Speaker 12: He was like, we're gonna be great friends.
Speaker 2: McCaffrey gets his contract extended. When you guys get you know, your contracts upgraded or extended? Is there you take people out to dinner? Like, how how does it McCaffrey do anything for you guys?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 9: Well, he did get a see at the entire offense PHG Golf clubs for Christmas, so I think he's he's doing all right in that regard.
Speaker 12: They're great clubs.
Speaker 9: Besides that, No, but he'll take care of me by probably having another two thousand yards and twenty touchdowns.
Speaker 2: Are you in the wedding.
Speaker 12: I'm not in the.
Speaker 9: Wedding, but I'm going to the wedding, so I'm excited about that. Up in Rhode Island. Should be a good time. Got a good group of guys going up there.
Speaker 2: Okay, have you had the bachelor party yet?
Speaker 9: You know, I don't know if he's actually really doing a bachelor party. He's a busy dude that's kind of all over the place. You know, he's got like his routine down and the things that he wants to do. It's more just like it extended weekend where you know you'd hang out at Assassin of Dolfin.
Speaker 2: That's not That's not what are we doing here? That's soft.
Speaker 9: You know what, Dan Christians, he is an elite human being who actually thinks his way, and I'm not gonna argue with him. I know he's gonna have a good time, and you know, we'll celebrate something on them maybe after a Thursday night.
Speaker 12: Who knows.
Speaker 2: He's the Niners tight end. Five time pro bowler George kittle Us on the program. When you see Travis Kelcey. Does he rub it in, does he mention anything? Does he say something about the Super Bowl? No?
Speaker 9: Shout outs some of your good friends. I had never gotten any type of animosity from Travis. There's been nothing but a great friend, great sportsmanship.
Speaker 2: He didn't give you no wow.
Speaker 12: Oh what a nice guy? Right crazy?
Speaker 2: Okay, if it was reversed and you had won the Super Bowl and you saw Kelsey.
Speaker 9: No, I'd be probably the exact same. I'm not much of acer damn. Okay, Well, you know, I'm all for good vibes and just positive vibes out there.
Speaker 12: Fight ends. Man, We're just nice people.
Speaker 2: You look like you belong in southern California.
Speaker 9: Oh, I know.
Speaker 12: The long hair is not much. It doesn't like make sense for my iowaer, it's does it?
Speaker 2: Well, you could have been in the movie Point Break.
Speaker 12: Oh, I was more of a fast on the ridge my eye.
Speaker 2: Well, you could be a Spacoli. I can see.
Speaker 12: Exactly.
Speaker 2: All right, I'll give you a mulligan. What kind of strategy would you change in the Super Bowl?
Speaker 9: Oh? What kind of strategy? That's a good question. I haven't been asked. I need a mulligan for my golf game.
Speaker 12: Right now. But besides that, um mulligan m mm hmm, all right, turnovers we have just one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think I think.
Speaker 12: We could pull off that turnover. I think that's a different But what.
Speaker 2: You look back on that turnover, it's right in front of you, behind me, but yes behind okay, near you, but yeah it.
Speaker 9: Was yeah, I mean ball bounce on the ground something behind me.
Speaker 12: I can't see, super unfortunate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you weren't target that much. Like can you go into the huddle and say, hey, what about me?
Speaker 9: To an extent, you know, it's uh if you'd like watch every single game this entire year, Like there's games where I had fifteen targets and there's a game I had one target, and it's just like that's just kind of where our offense goes. And you know why I would for like fully love you know, five to eight targets a game. You know, there's just games that's not going to happen, and so I just try to contribute in other ways, like you know, have my entire career. So uh, yes, there's times that you know you're sitting there like all right, come on, now, it's time throwing the ball a little bit, but I think overall, No, we've won a lot of games away that you know, our offense is going to be going and so I'm not going to be playing too much.
Speaker 12: But it is a hey, I run arounds pretty well too sometimes.
Speaker 2: So do you know what's going on with your teammates with uh Ayuk with his situation? Like how much do you stay in touch or follow this?
Speaker 12: You know all?
Speaker 9: Honestly, this is how I have treated all my teammates that go through contract negotiations, is uh I shoot them a text and they man, if there's anyone to talk about today I can help you with, please hit me up. If not, you know, I'll see you when I see you, which you know we're going to figure it out at some point. I just I had the less I know the better. I don't like it when people ask me, hey, have you talked at you? If you talked, you come like he's doing us saying he's going to be just fine and you know, whatever happens there, I'm happy for him.
Speaker 2: Give me your plug for a tight end. You how many years now?
Speaker 9: We're going on a year? Four dam that's nice, that's not bad, right.
Speaker 2: But there's no tailgating at tight End University, is there.
Speaker 12: That's a great idea. That'll be year five. We'll do that.
Speaker 9: We'll do that at year five, We'll have the Dan Patrick tailgates.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love it. Yeah, I loot, yeah, jell o shots. I love it.
Speaker 9: Uh, it would be a good time, man. As you can see, you know, I'm sitting here in my tight End new class. We're really excited about it. We've got all of our main sponsors back, Bridgestone, Gatorade, Levi's and always you know Sharman. You know it's cool too because you know Sharmon's out here now. Uh they've had their smooth tear product and they like to be smooth because tight ends are smooth and Sharman loves tight ends, which I still can't get over. How this this might be the best partnership in sports. I think it's pretty incredible. But you know, we have a lot of good stuff going on. Bridgetown's doing a cool thing. We're bringing a girls flight football team. We're gonna be playing flag football with them on one of the days. I think that's gonna be really fun to see. Uh. Some of the guys just get completely shook by some of these girls. You know, Gatorade's still doing Gatorade stuff, and Levi's is gonna meet, you know, maybe get some Canadian tuxedos.
Speaker 12: Out there down to Nashville. So we're pretty excited about it though.
Speaker 9: But it's like I said, year four, we're gonna have somewhere between like sixty and eighty guys show up and have a lot of fun, learn some stuff. You know, Greg Olsen will talk about some of his routes and stuff like that. Kelsey's gonna probably talk some coverages this year. I'm gonna focus I'm gonna focus on some pass protection, which I'm pretty excited about.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 9: It's because I hear all the defensive and always talk about how you should always win a match a versus a tight end in the pass rush.
Speaker 12: And you know, I'm here to get rid of that stipulation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you're you're somebody who singled out because you do block. But then that's part of your job, isn't it.
Speaker 12: That's the thing about being a tight end.
Speaker 9: You have the opportunity to run routes, catch the ball, run, block pass bro Trey Burton threw a touchdown in the Super Bowl so I mean, like, technically, you can do about everything. You know, I've had a couple of rushes in my career, so it's like, you have the opportunity to do everything, so you know, why not try to be great at everything and be the most well rounded group in football.
Speaker 2: Ever apologized for pancaking anybody on the field.
Speaker 12: That's actually funny. I have before. Yeah, I was like sorry about that, Come on my bad. Okay, all right, it's up with a couple.
Speaker 2: Give me the dates though for tight End University. When this is all happening next.
Speaker 9: Monday, June seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth. It's going to be a fantastic time. Actually cool too. We have a cool spin this year where you rented out. It's called the Brooklyn Bowl downtown Nashville. It's like a big concert hall and we're gonna have like live country music. We have a full country concert.
Speaker 12: There.
Speaker 9: Got some special guests. I don't know if I'm supposed to release them, but I know I got I got a couple. You want to hear any of them?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 9: Uh. We got John Party coming in, we got Chase Rice coming in, and we.
Speaker 12: Got Jelly Roll coming in. Whoa should be a good one.
Speaker 2: Jelly. I think Jelly rolls collabor collaborating with M and M on something, or they're doing a song together and.
Speaker 12: I saw that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they performed together. He's incredible. Uh, what an absolute fantastic human being.
Speaker 2: You could put him at left tackle.
Speaker 12: I think he's more of a guard.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I think he's.
Speaker 9: More of a guard. Maybe maybe No.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he's a polling guard. I mean he made me a stationary guard.
Speaker 12: It depends what offense like. Maybe like old school Raiders and that's what I'm thinking. Just just big meaty guys.
Speaker 2: Uh, you're a good sport. Good to talk to you. I hope the off season is good and uh, good luck at tight end University.
Speaker 12: George, Thanks so much man. Always a pleasure to talk to you.
Speaker 2: George Kittle, Niners tight end and Pro bowler five times in his eight seasons with the forty nine ers. You know you still have some questions there, Brandon Ayuk with his contract. I think they flirted with trading Deebo Samuel in the off season, but they still have Christian McCaffrey there. They still have a good offensive line, good defensive line as well, and of course an offensive minded head coach. It brought pretty He talked about how close they got to the Super Bowl or winning the Super Bowl recently.
Speaker 9: Got all its to the end.
Speaker 13: We're right there and weren't able to finish it. So for me, like I had that taste my mouth, and you know, get back into the gym, start slowly working into it. And then here no Ota is getting with Kyle and going over all the games, all the games that we played in every play and going over situational football and stuff and taking that and actually going out in the field and running things and repping things and throwing the receivers.
Speaker 2: So last year I didn't have that.
Speaker 13: So now that I'm able to attack those kinds of things, I feel like I've gotten better.
Speaker 2: Okay. There was another quarterback, former quarterback, sort of former quarterback in the news, Christian Hackenberg. He was drafted by the Jets I think second round pick, came out of Penn State. Oh, he had all the fanfare after his freshman year. He would be the number one pick in the draft. There's always the quarterback who's not in the current draft that were salivating over. Oh my god, if this guy could come out now he'd be the number one pick. Well, Christian Hackenberg when he did come out, was a second round pick. He was on the Ross Tucker podcast and he talked about the problem with the fit of the New York Jets.
Speaker 14: New York was probably the last place I should have gone in terms of the market, the expectations, the way it was, and you know, my rookie year, we ended up keeping four quarterbacks, so there was just not a lot of opportunity for me to develop and grow, no plan, and kind of a up and down organization, and it was just one of those things where I think just the timing and where it ended up just wasn't in the cards for me at that position. And then, you know, when I look at it introspectively, I was young. I needed a lot of help, and I needed a lot of direction and guidance, and I never sought that out.
Speaker 2: So that's where my.
Speaker 14: Shortcoming was is I didn't do all those things until it was ultimately too late.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know that he's taken ownership of this, and it's easy to blame the Jets, but Christian Hackenberg wasn't an NFL quarterback because if you were, after you get kicked to the curb by the Jets, you would have been picked up by somebody other than somebody in the arena league. He couldn't play in the NFL. Plain and simple. I think this is where you have non trained eyes looking at somebody and good boy, if he could come out now, and then all of a sudden you get the trained eye the scouts, and all of a sudden they're going, no, this guy is not an NFL quarterback, and he goes into second round. Yes, you do go to the Jets. I get all of that, But Kristin Hackenberg, if he could have played, another team would have saw that and they would have given them the opportunity. Also, we know what happened with the Patriots, their mess, certainly at the quarterbacking position. Mac Jones. Mac Jones was a Pro Bowl quarterback. They were a good team as rookie year, but that's when he had Josh McDaniels as his offensive coordinator. Then after that he had Matt Patricia. He also had Joe Judge, a special teams guy, Matt Patricia defensive coordinator and as an offensive coordinator, and then Bill Belichick's son, I believe, was an offensive coordinator I feel.
Speaker 3: Like they kind of threw everybody out there at some point.
Speaker 2: Well, you've got to have consistency with your offensive coordinator, so you're running the same system and you're listening to the same voice in your head. Damian Harris, former running back with the Patriots, had this to say on the Athletic Football Podcast. What happened to.
Speaker 15: Mac Jones in New England was not because of Mac jo Zones.
Speaker 12: What happened in New England to Mac.
Speaker 15: Jones was because of the fact you took away an offensive coordinator who coached him to be a Pro bowler and almost coached us to winning our division with a rookie quarterback in his first year. And then you take whenever Josh McDaniels left, Then you take Matt Patrician, who's coach defense his entire life, Joe Judge, who has been a special teams coach, and then you just throw him in there and be like, hey, coach this kid up. He's a first round pick, you know, but as long as you teach him what I say, everything's gonna be fine. And one fine. Bill Belichick being stuck in his ways was very much so like, as long as I am here, as long as I am the top dog at this organization, no matter who, no matter where, what position, where they coach, whatever, we will have success.
Speaker 2: Well, we know how that turned down. Is Mac Jones is starting quarterback in the NFL. I'd say a borderline starting quarterback. I know he was in New England and maybe if you coach him up, you know, I if I put him in San Francisco and Brock Purty in New England, is Rock Purty going to have a similar fate. Probably so. But you know this is where it's the luck of the draft. Where you go, who takes you, what's their infrastructure, what kind of consistency do you have weapons? Do I go later in the first round or the second round and I'm going to a better team. That's what happens sometimes. That is the biggest factor in success and failure in the NFL at that position, because there have been a lot of talented quarterbacks who go to bad teams, get bad habits, and then all of a sudden they get kicked to the curve. They lost their confidence. Meanwhile, you get some Rock Purty, mister irrelevant, going to a Niner team that has as many weapons, if not more so than anybody else in football. Okay, you got a really good head start and you have an offensive minded head coach, so you got a chance here. And he has proven that he is a good quarterback. Good quarterback, but also that comes into you've got to take advantage of the weapons you have, just like Jalen Hurts. I don't know if he's a great quarterback, but I think he got a real head start going second round to the Eagles, who have a great offensive line. They got as many weapons as anybody in the NFC. Now you add Saquon Barkley. I don't know if he's a standalone great quarterback. There aren't many great standalone like I can do this. You know, Brady did this for the most part in his career. Brady did this. It was all interchangeable parts there. Now, they did have Gronk, they had Hernandez for a while, they had Randy Moss for a while. But he was making Dion Branch into a Super Bowl MVP. You know, he had that ability to make Julian Edelman better than what he was, Wes Welker better than what he was now. It's rare when you get a standalone talent like that. Who's able every year you know they're they're they're changing, they're changing. You know Aaron Rodgers did that in Green Bay. It was a roster that he didn't get first round wide receivers. They did have a good running game, good offensive line, but that ability to be able to I can make somebody better and that's hard to do. But Mac Jones wasn't able to do that in New England. Yes, Martin does.
Speaker 5: Mahomes have that combination of great athletic skill as a quarterback and also mix that with a consistent franchise, so he's got the best of both worlds.
Speaker 2: Well, he fell into a great situation there. I mean they had Tyreek Hill, they had Travis Kelce, they had Andy Reid. Right there. You got a good head start and he didn't need to start his first year. It was ideal for Patrick Mahomes. And I've said this before and people always get bent out of shape if I put Patrick Mahomes on Carolina. He's a curiosity. He's not a Hall of Fame quarterback. But when he's in the situation to deliver, when you need to deliver with the weapons and play big and big games. That's why he's a Hall of Fame quarterback. It's the luck of the draw, the luck of the draft. I think Justin Fields can still be a starter in the NFL. He just wasn't you know. He couldn't be everything the Bears needed him. I don't know if Bryce Young can play, and we might not find out until he goes to his second team. All right, let me take a break. We'll get phone calls coming up, and the great actor Lawrence Fishburne will join us coming up in about a half hour from now.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Wapp US Open coverage begins on Thursday. This is at Pinehurst number two. It's a historically great golf course. It is no fun to play. It is beautiful area. Love Pinehurst, love the people, love the environment. I like Pinehurst number eight. I think that's a fazzio design. But I played Pinehurst number two. It's one of the longest, least enjoyable days of my life. It is a extremely olenging golf course. Now that's from a high handicapper weekend warrior here, but even the pros are going to complain about this because the greens look like if you had a turtle that was buried and you put a green on top of it. That's what it's like. It just rolls off the side. It's going to be fast, it's gonna be warm down there, and I think you're going to have some people are going to go, oh, this this is a trudge. But US Open starts on Thursday, and it's going to be Scotti Scheffler against the field. Looking at the odds here, he's the overwhelming favorite here. And once again we're getting into that Tiger territory. Tiger plus two twenty to make the cut at the US Open. Although there's gonna be a lot of coverage surrounding Tiger once at the US Open, it's going to be like Scotti, Scheffler, Rory, McElroy hey, but Tiger Woods is going to be in there still leading the coverage are certainly part of the headlines for the coverage there. It's Scheffler plus three hundred to win, Xander Schaffley plus eleven hundred, Rory plus eleven hundred, Colin Morikawa plus fourteen hundred, Bryson Deshambeau plus eighteen hundred. That's it. So right now it's Scotty Scheffler's to lose. Basically, poll results for hour two seat not O'Connor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got two up there, one negative, one positive. Okay, who's having the best week the Celtics, the Panthers or the Yukon Huskies right now, Yukon Husky is again recency bias with fifty percent of the vote. After that, the Celtics got about twenty nine percent.
Speaker 2: Pretty good, pretty good week for them. Yeah, they're gonna win. Well, I think they're gonna win the NBA Championship. But going up two games to none, that's a pretty good start there. But Yukon keeping Dan Hurley for the foreseeable future that's a big win as well. Rich in North Carolina, Hi, Rich, what's on your mind today? Hey Dan?
Speaker 16: Thanks for taking my call? Ye six two two O six. I want to I want to disagree with you about the Carolina Panther comparison. Yes, yes, Now, if if Patrick Mahomes was on the team now, it it'd be a joke because our owner has had a fire sale and got rid of everybody. And but back when Patrick Mahons came in the league. I mean, we would have had Greg Olsen at tight end, which he's not Travis Kelsey, but he's still upper echelant on the tight ends. We had Dj Moore, who was a top ten receiver back when Patrick came in the league, and we would have had Christian McCaffrey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm talking about now because I'm talking about Bryce Young now rich That's that's what I'm talking about, not when he would have been drafted in who Carolina had. Yes, Carolina had a talented team. I'm talking about if he had the roster that Bryce Young has or Rock Perty had, that it would be different. You know, if I put Mahomes on that roster, they probably are going to do some exciting things. But they're not doing anything with Bryce Young. I mean, Patrick Mahomes can only do so much. And that's the point I'm trying to make. I don't know if Bryce Young can play, but Carolina has done a disservice to him. They don't have any you know, talent surrounding him, and you have to trade up to get him, and you give up a first round pick as well, and you don't have anything to show for it. He might be a good quarterback, he might be better when he goes to his second team. Here. It's just you have to be in the right place, the landing spot for a quarterback. How's my offensive line? What kind of continuity do I have at my head coach slash offensive coordinator? What kind of weapons do I have? You have that you got a pretty good chance of being successful. Final Hour in the Way. Actor Lawrence Fishburne will join us. Hope you'll stay with us. Find all Hour on the Way.