Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning everyone, and welcome to Morning Run. It is Monday, November twenty fourth. I'm Amy Robots and I'm TJ Holmes. Always favorite of the week, Monday. Love it, love it, love it.
Speaker 2: We get to start a new start fresh, no matter what went wrong last week, we get a chance to do it again. And we got Thanksgiving this week.
Speaker 1: That is a great way to look at having a case of the Mondays.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, bad news though, it's going to be some weather heads up. We do need to let you all though. If I'm sure you're catching up, but if you haven't taken a peek and you're traveling this week, there are going to be i think three weather systems they're pointing to that are going to cause problems all across the country. Was it Robes, It's in rain and snow in California, all that stuff starting to move east, and then some stuff in the South is starting to move up and east as well. So the whole country almost is going.
Speaker 1: To get a little something and coming on the worst travel days of the year unfortunately, where most people are in their cars according to Triple A.
Speaker 2: All right, so just the head up on that's Also this morning an update on that big botulism outbreak and this is a scary update. Also, three hundred kids kidnapped in Nigeria. We'll give you the latest, including the fact that some of those kids they said, escaped on their own. We'll give you the latest there. Also, as a reminder, always subscribe click that button that says follow on the top right corner of your Apple podcast app on our show page. There'll be a lot of updates this week and you can make sure they all come right to you without you having to go on them down.
Speaker 1: Also on the Run this morning, the Pope, Slenderman, Shador Sanders, Kevin Spacey, JFK's granddaughter, an accused college football player, and TSA agents will all be running with us this morning.
Speaker 2: And let's start there with something that we rarely do, Robes on the morning Run News podcast. Our lead story is a positive one and it's just gets this as a great one and we're happy to pass along. And it could be good news for you air travelers as well at the airport because want the TSA workers being a really good move today.
Speaker 1: Wrote I would hope so they got some really good news and some really great I guess something in the mail that they actually looked forward to from the government.
Speaker 2: And they earned and they deserve. Yes, TSA workers, we are told are going to all have their money today. They're going to all have their back pay. They told us the last couple of days that ninety percent of TSA workers had received their back pay. But today the rest should all have it fully covered for all those forty three days that they went without getting paid and working security at airports.
Speaker 1: And doesn't that just give you peace of mind when you know you actually are going to be able to afford Thanksgiving and Christmas that had to be on so many of their minds for so long.
Speaker 2: I kind of wished we were traveling today. I would love to go through there and see what the mood is like. But also just say thank you once again for you to We've traveled a bit during the shutdown and it was some tense time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, airport, it definitely had its impact on the moods of TSA workers and that's understandable, all right. Next up on the run, a concerning update about that botulism outbreak linked to baby Formula by Heart recalled all of its baby formula. Earlier this month because of a botulism link. At least thirty babies have been sickened in fifteen states, but now California officials say they've identified at least six other babies who had by heart formula. But get this, they were sickened with botulism at least nine months ago.
Speaker 2: Terrifying, same stuff here, So that is well outside this current outbreak. So they're trying to track this down, figure this out, and this could have been going on for a while undetected. So far, they have not, though, made a definitive link between those current sick babies and the current outbreak. But that's a hell of a coincidence, it certainly is.
Speaker 1: That's some scary stuff too, to think what you're giving your child for nourishment is actually sickening them and you didn't even know that.
Speaker 2: That was thek no deaths reported as part of the Thankfully I'll break Thankfully Continuing on the run now with Pope Leo. He is pleading for the release of hundreds of school kids kidnapped by armed gunmen from their Catholic school over the weekend in Nigeria.
Speaker 1: Three hundred students were taken Friday and this morning, authority say fifty of those kids were able to escape, but at least two hundred and fifty students and twelve teachers are missing. Those kids are between the ages of ten and eighteen. No claim of responsibility, but certainly we have seen this in Nigeria before. Back in twenty fourteen, Boko Haram, one of the terrorist organizations there, definitely claimed responsibility and we also saw it was more young girls who were trying to go to school. Many of them escaped and it was a harrowing, harrowing situation for families who were trying to find their daughters.
Speaker 2: That was all young girls.
Speaker 1: It was a young girls ago.
Speaker 2: Yes, some of them still never been found to this day. And again to this day, we can all remember Boko Haram, Boca Haram. Everybody can recall that devastating time. Schools have been closed across Nigeria and they are trying to figure this out. But so far, as of this recording, nobody had claimed responsibility, have said what they want at this point. Continuing on the run here now, one of the then twelve year old girls convicted in that shocking slender Man stabbing attack escaped from her group home over the weekend, but she's already been recaptured. Morgan Geyser. It's now twenty three years old, but she cut off her ankle monitor left her Wisconsin group home and was last seen with an acquaintance Saturday night.
Speaker 1: Yes, so, as you might imagine, it prompted a massive man hunt, but she was only on the run for one day. She was recaptured last night in Illinois, about twenty five miles from Chicago. Guys repleaded guilty to murder after excuse me to attempted murder after she and a friend stabbed a classmate. They said it was to impress the online fictional boogeyman known as the slender Man. These girls were in sixth grade. They believe this guy existed.
Speaker 2: They did a movie on this scape did.
Speaker 1: Absolutely and some scary stuff. She was placed in a psychiatric facility in twenty eighteen, but this year she was placed in a group home as part of a conditional release. Again, all those girls were just twelve years old at the time of the stabbing. But this was something that made international headlines, and frankly, I had no idea that she was on her way to being fully released.
Speaker 2: I didn't again, forgot the story, did not realize she's been spending all this time in a psychiatric facility. I believe the other young lady was.
Speaker 1: Has already been released.
Speaker 2: Huh as well, But that's the one that look she was They just just and who was arguing. You told me that did not want her released.
Speaker 1: The prosecutors they wanted her to stay. She actually was sentenced to forty years in a psychiatric facility. Because guys, are the one who escaped. She is the one who did the stabbing, that's right, as another other one just watched. Not that that's okay too, But Geyser was the one who actually committed the violent act.
Speaker 2: I'm remembering more kid. But they said she was just standing by, but she was egging her on. Yes, Oh my goodness. All right, continuing on the run here now, the White House reporting progress and weekend talks to end the war between Russia and Ukraine. Secretary of State Marco Rubio and high ranking Ukrainian officials met for talks in Switzerland over the weekend, and those talks are being described as quote highly productive.
Speaker 1: President Trump has offered a twenty eight point piece plan and is urging Ukraine to get on board, but critics say the plan is just too heavily weighted towards Russia.
Speaker 2: So we'll have to.
Speaker 1: Wait and see on that one. But next up on the run, a college football player is accused of stabbing two of his teammates hours before the team's game on Saturday. Daniel Minsey, an offensive lineman for UAB, was arrested just before the team's game against South Florida.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Officials now with the University of Alabama Birmingham say the players are in stable condition. They did not release the names of those two players. Obviously, people around the campus know exactly who has heard here. No motive was given for this. The game went on as schedule. They did talk to the players about this ahead of time. Some of them were just too shaken and opted not to go out there. They're not having a good year. They end up getting blown out in this game. That's besides the point, necessarily, but it goes to what has been really a difficult stretch of time for this team. And yes, some of them, no, I'm not going out there.
Speaker 1: Wow, I mean more details we would think would come out with this one, just because it's so unusual and unheard of but certainly glad that those two players are doing well. Next up on the run, Tatiana Schlosberg, the granddaughter of JFK, revealed in a moving essay over the weekend that she has been given a terminal diagnosis. She says the doctors have told her they can keep her alive for another year maybe.
Speaker 2: Writing in The New York Or, Schlasberg said she was diagnosed with a cute Mylloyd leukemia with a rare mutation. Now, just for the sake, we will tell you it's called inversion three. Again, I don't keep up necessarily with this something you'd heard of.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't know about just this specific type of disease, but I do know blood cancers are often very difficult to treat.
Speaker 2: And she was diagnosed with there's a blood cancer on the same day that her daughter was born last year. She goes through and tells the story rose and they noticed what something was wrong in her blood count. Blood count that was astronomical. So I'm just it's probably tied. You just had a baby this half she was what wheeled off and now not ICU. But she was wheeled off pretty quickly from her child to get taken care.
Speaker 1: Of immediate testing went on and she's I mean, to this day after a year and a half battle, she's had two stem cell transplants, she's been in remission, and then she had a recurrence. I mean, this is just a woman who has been fighting for her life privately for the past year and a half. We did a podcast on it yesterday. We encourage you to listen to it. It really is moving and if you can, please read yes her essay Battle with My Blood. It is a must read, especially going into this week, this week of Gratitude. It will change your perspective on life period.
Speaker 2: We trying to find the right word. It's touching. Yes, it's moving, but it is devastating to read like it is. You walk away not and you don't feel uplifted now you feel so down and sad and hurt for her, like you hurt for this family. And she talked about that. I'm now adding to another tragedy for Caroline Kennedy.
Speaker 1: I know, if the think that she's actually living and fighting with that guilt on top of you know, the guilt of never being able to be a mother to her children, the guilt of leaving her mom. Now who has suffered so much loss. It is devastating. But again it is motivating, yes, to recognize our gifts, to recognize the fact that we don't know when our time is up. But for those who do, they can teach us a lot.
Speaker 2: I beg you to read it, folks, please.
Speaker 1: Right next up on the Run, Kevin Spacey apparently is not homeless after all, despite the headlines you saw last week. The Oscar winner posted a video saying it would be disingenuous of him to allow folks to believe that he is homeless. As he put it in the colloquial sense.
Speaker 2: He said, folks started reaching out to him. Actually after that article posted, offering him a place to stay. Now he did his interview with the Telegraph. The article was titled Homeless, canceled and crooning in Cyprus. Now, I guess that's supposed to be catchy. Technically, I guess you're homeless if you don't have an address. But he's not living out on the street, which is what he was trying to clear up. Now. He blamed the outlet for creating a knowingly misleading headline for the sake of clicks. Those were his words in the video. He said there are plenty of people actually living on the street, but quote, I am not one of them, and it's a reminder of what has happened to him in his career. Everybody right now probably doesn't realize he has never been convicted or found liable anywhere in a court.
Speaker 1: For anything, for any wrongdoing. Absolutely, that is very important to note.
Speaker 2: All right, we will continue on this morning run in just a second. When we come back, folks, we have big new use for Schadour Sanders. Finally something went right for the brother also coming up wicked. It was supposed to be a big opening weekend. It was also would you drink beer made from recycled water from the laundry and from your shower? Well, one company is banking that your answer is sure.
Speaker 1: Continuing on our Monday morning run. Finally a win for Shador Sanders in a figurative and literal sense. Shador started his first game in the NFL yesterday and guess what they won?
Speaker 2: This is huge sharedore. Congratulations. This was his first start and his first win as an NFL quarterback. He played pretty well. They beat Las Vegas twenty four to ten. Game was in Vegas. His dad was there having a good old time in the stands, but robes even you as maybe not so close of an NFL or football watcher, you know Shador Sanders and his story well, and a lot of people do. And finally something has gone well for this young man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he has suffered a series of I would just say, I mean as devastations too strong of a word, but frustrations, embarrassments, humiliations, whatever you want to call it. But he has definitely suffered, and so it's nice to see somebody take ownership. I remember from the moment we started hearing about all the folks just hating on him, hoping that his you know, success is the best revenge. So congratulations. Next up on the Run. As expected, Wicked did its thing at the box office this weekend, making one hundred and fifty million here in the US, beating the first Wicked movie. That's pretty impressive. First time around, they made one hundred and twelve million in the opening weekend, one hundred and fifty this weekend.
Speaker 2: Isn't it fair to say that it's the first one came? Was that two years ago? Two years damn?
Speaker 1: Time fly, time Fly.
Speaker 2: And then it had its oscar eye camera. Okay, but it's essentially been on a promotional run for part two since Part one came out. We've heard heard nothing but about these two women, all the stars, what's coming next. That's a hell of a promotion.
Speaker 1: And then Sexiest Man Alive didn't hurt either.
Speaker 2: God, Yes, hell, okay, I'll admit I want to watch this one because of him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jonathan Baby sounds crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm just wick. It's not mine lane necessary thing, but you've got.
Speaker 1: Girls in the house who are going to be very excited. We actually didn't see it this weekend, but I would like to see it this week.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of girls in the house and this movie, to your point, seventy women makes sense. We're in the theaters this weekend. Yes, it's the biggest opening ever for a Broadway musical adaptation. Add the international ticket sales, this thing did two hundred and fifty six million dollars over the weekend. Also, Now You See Me three came in and second at the box office. Predator bad Lands was three, and then The Running Man dropped the fourth.
Speaker 1: The box office needed a boost and Wicked provided it. So that's pretty awesome and it'll have legs through the Yeah, because we're still gonna you know, I think, oh this week will be huge folks who didn't get to see it this weekend. Absolutely movies or I don't know. I love movies on holiday weeks. So all right, for the final what too crowded?
Speaker 2: Crowded?
Speaker 1: Will you go? You know you go when we go like at eleven am. It's it's pretty.
Speaker 2: Cool, not a joke, folks, And we're not trying to get just the matinate price. We just don't want people around.
Speaker 1: All right. For the final leg of our run, beer from recycled water. Okay, I mean recycled water. That sounds that sounds fine to me. But what if we told you it's made from recycled shower water and laundry water.
Speaker 2: Doesn't make a difference to you.
Speaker 1: Sounds different, right, it does sound different, but like, well, we'll get into this. A San Francisco based I have lots of thoughts. A San Francisco based company is starting to sell what it calls shower our IPA not a good name. I don't feel like that's gonna help sa I don't think it will. And laundry Club Kolsh I.
Speaker 2: Don't think that's a good name either.
Speaker 1: I don't either.
Speaker 2: But the beers are the first release from a fairly new company called Epic out in the Bay Area. So how does this work? They collect thousands of gallons of water that goes down the drain or is lost in the laundry. Now they just do that. You have to have a system at a particular building to filter the water, so it's not at all buildings. You can't just go grab any water. But they're doing this at particular buildings. They treat They take that water, treat it, get to get it to the proper purification standards, and then use it to make beer. Simple enough, But yes, specifically they are going after water that is going down the drain and the shower and going away in the laundry.
Speaker 1: Where do beer makers get their water? Typically? Though, like I actually don't know what we do with recycled water. Could we be drinking it and ingesting it in ways we don't even realize? Or do they have to disclose this is coming from the shower drain, Like how do they how do they is shower drain water and laundry water put in a different place than sink water.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not being toilet water, not being seen necessarily as something you can or should be using again, So they are going directly to the source. And what they're doing is what you you. I'm sure they're prouds because what you just did is the point. They are just trying to bring attention to this idea that we are being so wasteful. We have all this water and there's a way to use it, and yes, you put it in a new like when you talk about beer.
Speaker 1: So they're hoping to get environmentalists to get behind their beer because of the message it sends and how they're producing.
Speaker 2: But it brings your attention to this idea of how much we're wasting and recycled water. We talk about waste all the time, but I mean, my mom told me and my dad turned the water off, you wasting water when I was at the house. But other than that, what do they tell you? Cans, paper, cardboard, all these things I'm told to recycle. I'm never told to recycle.
Speaker 1: Water, that's true, But I don't think I really feel good about drinking shower our IPA.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, the name is the work in progress. Folks. Before we let you go, something we would like for you to consider it is our quote of the day, and this quote of the day comes to us from Tatiana Schlosberg, the granddaughter of John F. Kennedy, who just put out an essay over the weekend of The New Yorker. We have been talking about and folks, a lot of worlds, a lot of folks have been talking about her over the weekend. But so many things in there moved us. But I wanted to pluck out this kind of upbeat quote that she gave us, and she said, I have never encountered a group of people who are more competent, more full of grace and empathy, more willing to serve others than nurses. Nurses should take over. We talked about it when she said, like, damn, that's it right there. Nurses are incredible. But when she said nurses should take over, I thought that was a sweet nod to the industry.
Speaker 1: I agree, anyone who has spent any time being cared for in a hospital, you walk away with such a greater appreciation for those men and women who are there throughout the night, no matter what, working holidays, working weekends, working night shifts, and with smiles on their faces, doing some of the most thankless work changing bedpants, dealing with people who are probably not at their best in terms of their temperament because they're in a hospital bed, perhaps uncomfortable, and they're there to make you feel comfortable despite what's going on in their lives. I appreciate that nod to nurses.
Speaker 2: It was long, it was sweet, it was about her. There was a lot in there. But I don't think that's going to make headlines, but it's certainly jumped out at us. So I have never encountered a group of people who are more competent, more full of grace and empathy, more willing to serve others than nurses. Nurses should take over. I just thought that was a cool way. What if a nurse was the president. What if nurses were in the cabinet, What if mostly nurses were serving in Congress? What of nurses? Right, there's just a mindset of temperament that a nurse has, male female, just nurses. There's something special about them. So glad we can make that nine. We always appreciate you running with us, folks. For now, I'm TJ.
Speaker 1: Holmes and I'm Amy Roboch. Go have a wonderful Monday. Everybody,