Speaker 1: Hi everyone, I'm Rachel Zoe and you're listening to Climbing in Heels for your weekly dose of glamour, inspiration and of course fun. I'm back this week after a little winter vacation with my boys and my sister, Asvin is truly my favorite winter destination and I had the best time. And today I thought i'd fill you in on my trip a little bit of course, talk more red carpet fashion from the Sagawards, which was so good, and I will touch on my New York trip as well. Okay, here to chat with me, as always is my producer, Mary Elizabeth Sillitz.
Speaker 2: Jump right in, Rachel Zoe. Welcome back to the pod.
Speaker 1: Oh, welcome back to life.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to life. Okay, so girl, I left life you.
Speaker 1: You really did, though, So we talk about flu.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, So for our listeners, you might recall that before Rachel went on her trip last week, we recorded an episode for you guys about fashion week questions, and people were asking questions like what time to show start, how do you pack? Blah blah blah. That was, in fact the last day before you took a really gnarly turn for the worse. Yeah, I did, so Rachel can explain, but she at the tail end of fashion week got hit with the type A flu.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which, by the way, full disclosure, I did not know there was a type A and a type B. And in full disclosure, I don't know that I've ever had the flu. And also I will say this is and I know it's controversial for some I've never not had a flu shot. This was the first year I didn't get a flu shot, simply because I forgot, and then it was kind of felt too bait, and then I just should have gotten it and I didn't. And I did New York Fashion Week very hard and very fast, and it took me down. It just knocked me, like literally knocked me out.
Speaker 2: I have worked for you for a very long time. I've never seen you that ill.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've been that ill in my entire life. I've had COVID. I've never been as sick as I was from the flu. So people that say, oh, I'm not scared of the flu, I'm here to say be scared. I am. I have a really good immune system and I have a really high tolerance. I had to work. I had one hundred and two point five fever, the most brutal cough. Ye, my sister, God love her. She did not leave my side for four days. Sweet Pamela Angel, Pamela Angel, Pamela literally Angel, sister of life. And I'm such a germophobe and now I know that if she gets the flu, I'm going to have to stay by her side with the maskt clubs because she literally did not leave my hotel room. It's payback, yeah, and my trip well. Also, I wanted to touch on that about the working mom thing because we do talk about that a lot, and how my Valentine's Day was inarguably the worst Valentine's Day of my existence, where at one hundred and two point five fever, my children were across the country in La I was stuck in New York. We were supposed to be meeting that morning and aspen to spend the day together in the night and be with my Valentines, and I just cried the whole day. And I don't even like Valentine's Day. It wasn't even about Valentine's Day. I think it was about being stuck away from my kids, being overworked, being overtired, and just being really sick.
Speaker 2: And having like just an actual very high fever.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was in a bad fever dream like I know, I used the term fever dreams.
Speaker 2: This is a real one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a real one.
Speaker 2: And you know it's it's you were so sick that you had to delay your travels because three days you needed to get better before flying. So but eventually you got yourself to your favorite place first.
Speaker 1: Note I did. And actually for summer, I mean I've been to Aspen one or two times in the summer. It is pretty magical, I have to say it is. It was really nice to be out of la I'm sorry, my my, my loss Angeline Angelina's, but it was nice to be out of the air here from January and be in in Colorado. There's a magic in the air there that just feels so clear and clean, and you can drink the water anywhere. There's just something about it.
Speaker 2: There's something mentally that happens when it's like clear skies, clear air.
Speaker 1: Clear water, clear mountains.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, it mentally helps.
Speaker 1: The light there, hits different, like it really does, like your skin's really dry and all that. Like I always say, I'm not cute when I'm an aspin because you just like you like throw oil on your face and your hands and like whatever. It's it's it's magical.
Speaker 2: Our listeners, please go look at the carousel posts she did have aspen and feel free to sound off on how not cute you look. You looked so freaking cute. Your looks were so cute, and you know you are the coat Queen loves and the faux fur Queen Vintage for queen. So this is like, I feel like your Olympics in a way. It's time for you. It's the real time for you to shine.
Speaker 1: I didn't ski as much as I would have liked to those.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get into that. For those of you who might assume Rachel Zoe can't throw or catch a ball, play tennis, ski down very steep mountain sides, you're wrong. She can. It might be the only time you're climbing in ski boots instead of heels, but you posted yourself dabbling getting back out there on the slopes.
Speaker 1: Tell us about that.
Speaker 2: Are you terrified? Now? Are you confident? Like? What's your mental state when you know you're going to be going down?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I started skiing when I was four years old, I did ski races, advantage. I did ski races. I did double black diamonds. I was a fearless, fearless skier for most of my life. The bigger the mogul, the more excited I was, the bigger the jump, I just went. My dad used to say he couldn't video me because I never would wait. I just would go. You could not stop me. And then I stopped skiing. I think after I graduated college, I skied for a little and then I stopped because I discovered Saint Bart's. The thing about skiing is as an adult, I think you become highly aware of the consequences of what could happen. And when you're a child, you're obviously fearless. And you know, when I was a teenager, I was like skiing with my boyfriends and I was like, I can ski better than you, I can jump higher than you. Whatever. And then once I became a mom, the fear became more real about like if I get hurt, they have no mom, and I think, you know, most moms will sort of understand that fear of like totally. It just becomes like it's not about what you want to dare yourself to do. It's like if something happens to you, they are without mother, you can't go down, you can't go down. So I didn't feel like that when I had the flu like her covidure. So so I think. So I didn't ski for ten years.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And then when my children got old enough to ski, it started to become And I'd made a promise to my dad that my boys would be skiers. Yes, I promised. It was like one of the most important things is one of the most important things to my dad. And so once they started.
Speaker 2: They had to dust off the old ski.
Speaker 1: The look from those baby blues from both my boys, Mommy, you're gonna skew with us, right, Mommy, you're gonna come out and ski. Mommy, I don't want to go if you don't skw with us, And so obviously I don't say. And so I went out and I remember the first time I went out after ten years, and the instructor was like, you remember how to hold your skis like pizza. I was like, okay, we're not going back that far. You're like I can do that, yeah, And I got off the gun. You said, well, then it'll be like riding a bike. I'm like, I don't believe in that. And I got off the gondola and I took a left and I went down, And I went down as if no time had passed. My body just went right back to doing what it does. The only difference is now I just don't I won't ski blacks like I won't ski vocals. Now. I'm really just about skiing safely, nicely, skiing with my kids and getting to app race ski safely.
Speaker 2: I always like breathe a sigh of relief when I know that you're back, because people, depending on who you follow on social media, people have been snapping acls left and right this ski season, so it's true. I was a little concerned, but we're glad you're home safe.
Speaker 1: I did fall after Sky when when Sky had his chairlift accident and he made me go out two days later with him. I had to I could. I wasn't looking at me, I wasn't focused on what I was doing. I was just staring at him. Yeah, and then I fell, and then I was like, okay, I'm done here.
Speaker 2: Yeah that'll that'll end your your run for sure.
Speaker 1: But it was beautiful. I'm incredibly I'm fair weathered so now that it's like thirty five forty degrees and sunny, it is just pure magic. Like it is pure magic being up there. But I have to say, whoever's listening, ski boots have to be shaker. They are so not pretty. They are clunky, they're hurt and they make me really short. That's not cute.
Speaker 2: You need a lifted ski boot.
Speaker 1: Maybe, yeah, all right, maybe food for thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, tell us about the Palm Tree festivals. Skiing in heels, Yeah, that's what what could go wrong? Okay, tell us about the Palm Tree Festival because again, pending who you're sort of following on social media, a lot of influencers and people were out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was asking for this.
Speaker 2: So what it looks like. It's a it's a music festival that happens annually, and it's two nights, I think two or three, it's.
Speaker 1: Two nights, and it's outdoors. It's it's kind of behind this area by the Jerome Hotel for anyone who's been in Aspen. Excuse me, guys, I'm lingering cough, but so it's behind the Jerome Hotel in this like park area as I don't forget what it's called. But it's called the Palm Tree Festival. Little did I know, I was actually at the Palm Tree Festival on New Year's in Saint Barts as well, right, A part like the same the same people that, right, So I'm a little new to this. And so one of I went with Don Julio. They had a beautiful table up in the VIP area, which for me like, okay, so fun fact about me. I am terrified of massive crowds. Sure, I am terrified. I'm here to admit it. It's okay. You have to know that about yourself. I am a very small person and I get trampled on really easily. I've never been to a concert where I was not knocked over.
Speaker 2: You're not going to find Rachel Zoe in the pit.
Speaker 1: No, you're not going to find me in the pit. Even if those are the best seats up by the stage, you will not find me in them. And so we were up in this area that was covered, but it's still outdoors. Sure, so you have to dress really warm. To me, it just meant this coat that I had brought to New York that I had not worn since it was given to me. It was a gift from mister Valentino more than probably fifteen, probably about fifteen years ago, maybe more.
Speaker 2: Literally one of my most favorite pieces, and I have worn it.
Speaker 1: I had not worn her since since I did that shoot in it when I got it time ago. Yeah, when I lived up in Sarah Towers. This is the last time I wore it, So that was like two thousand and nine. It's so good and so I don't know what possessed me to bring it, but I did, and it felt right for this I don't know why. Yeah, so I put it on You're snow Rave, Yeah, sure, snow Rave, snow Rave, And so I went, you know, had some champagne, listened to the music. I saw a ton of people I knew anyone who was in Aspen. Was there a lot of friends from LA some friends from New York. It was so much fun. The music was so good.
Speaker 2: You know who was there? My Hoavey Gray, Well, Hovey Gray was there, who you like love but also a friend of the pod, Jake Shane was there. Did you run into Jake?
Speaker 1: What I didn't. I didn't. I'm not run into.
Speaker 2: So hoping you were going to see Jake.
Speaker 1: No, because Alex Earl was there, and it was like a fool thing the whole. But you know what, they they go to the pit, they go to the pear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're they're they're in it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I feel like he wouldn't be in the pit, Like I feel like that would be overwhelming.
Speaker 2: Oh no, he was in the He'll get in there. Yeah. So anyways, Okay, so tell us about some of your favorite music. Okay, this is kind of like for our little like Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, Babe, this is kind of a different vibe for you.
Speaker 1: It's definitely a different vibe for me. But you know what's cool is that, like I think a little bit how actors are, like how actors are a lot of things now, or hairstylists are a lot of things now, Like you're not just like a one note anymore, right, So I think what's happening not I think what I know is happening is there's this movement and has been for the last several years of musicians and bands also being DJs and DJs you know, being you know, performers. So like, you know, I think there's such a blend now at this point, like Tanks is djinks. I have so many friends that are DJs. But listen, I'm going to say that, you know Mark Ronson, very old friend of mine, you know, in our old days in New York. You know, when he was starting out, Mark Ronson was still is like the greatest of the greatest of the greatest of the greatest, but he was like the only DJ. I knew that, and of course like Samantha Ronson and whatever, but like that was my first like sort of DJ moment. And now he's gone on to win like Oscars.
Speaker 2: He's a producer, shordinary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I think the cool thing about Palm Tree is there's this sort of amazing vibe that goes on all night of like you know, Kigo and like everyone's DJing and Jabi Gray and they're DJing but they're singing, but they're playing guitar for sure. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so fun.
Speaker 1: So it's really fun. It's really fun.
Speaker 2: I have to say, we love to see you out there with a little glowstick and it was really fun.
Speaker 1: It was really fun, drinking champagne, dancing was fun. My sister was living her bust life. We kept running into people we knew, and then we went to the drone after and had drinks. Its Aspen was really on fire this weekend, but it was. I mean it was really crowded. There was like an extra like yeah, five or ten thousand people.
Speaker 2: It seemed like it was backed. It was back hot. Well while you were away drinking champagne. We have to talk about the Saga Red carpet. We do because here's the thing. When I was texting you, the Saga Awards are on. Oh my, this carpet is actually incredible.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you something about Saga Awards from my experience, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't get why it's so good.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you why. Because when it started. As you go through award season as a stylist, you know there's the checklist right so before the New year, there's like the smaller festivals right all over like Santa Barbara, Pump Springs or whatever. Some of them are right afternoons, and the spirit was just before exactly, and so you have this circuit and you know you're like, Okay, there's like a build up, right, There's like we're going to do this one, this one, this one. They're all going to be amazing and special, but we're saving the best one for Oscars, right, not the best, but like the biggest maybe right, right, the biggest wow moment. And then but SAGA Awards was always the sort of like more inside baseball award shows. So and it wasn't didn't used to be televised, and so I think that historically people played that one a little safer and a little more subdued, right, But there was a little less pressure, I think for the actors. So it was the one where you really was like, Okay, if I just want to wear a simple calm gown, I'm going to do it for SAG okay, because you didn't want to show up like look at me, look at me, right, because it was a little more like peer driven, right.
Speaker 2: It is, yeah, it is, so you win based on other actors voting for you instead of some academy or corrupt exactly.
Speaker 1: So. But what's happened over the last like a few years is that I have loved SAG ten times more than I've loved Golden Globes. And I don't know why that is. I think because they feel maybe a little less pressure, so they all just look better or they want to have the moment amongst their peers because to them it means the most, right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like that makes sense to me.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing. So when I think about it, when I've been given my awards, right, the most nervous I ever was, or the most excited I ever was when was when it was a fashion award show amongst my peers, right, right, Because it wasn't just like a popular vote, right, it was sort of like the people that you respect the most with the most talent are voting for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense to me, And and to your point about the sort of run of show for these award shows. Oscars are next this coming weekend, and they are the end, that's the cap to everything.
Speaker 1: So they figure if they haven't had the big moment, this might be there. But also SAG Awards television television exactly.
Speaker 2: And I think my favorite look of the night was miss Selena Gomez and a beautiful custom. Selene, She's in Only Murders in the Building, which is a television show which she won for. So let's talk about Selena Gomesch.
Speaker 1: She looks beautiful.
Speaker 2: I've I don't know that I've ever seen her look better.
Speaker 1: She looks stunning. And Aaron Walsch styles her. And you know, listen the other thing about Selena, She's always smiling, so she looks stunning. But this is giving full old Hollywood movie star. This is I mean, she has the red lips, she has the cat eyes, she's got the diamonds. But the off the shoulder, this neckline is very, very vintage Hollywood, very you know, obsessed, obsessed. It's gorgeous and it's simple, and it's clean, and it's beautiful. It's like a deep navy. It looks like it's so giving leg it fits.
Speaker 2: Her body beautifully. Yes, there's a little there's a sexy slit. I'm obsessed with the bob. Yes, I could never do it myself, but I am so jealous of those.
Speaker 1: Who can long hair for life.
Speaker 2: And then, please, can you explain something to me? Mm hm, Why in my adult life have I never considered thought of, or for myself or for others, considered a lip manicure match because her red nails. And I've never noticed that in my life?
Speaker 1: Are you talking about obsessed with this? I am obsessive about that, are you? If you ask Jennifer Garner or any of my clients, I'm embarrassed it would make me absolutely mental. It's like that the leg was a totally different red than the nail.
Speaker 2: Okay, I could see that, but this is like so coordinatedly, perfectly done.
Speaker 1: It's cherry red. Both are beautifully cherry red.
Speaker 2: Obsessed with this and like think it is such a beautiful, subtle pull together.
Speaker 1: Look, there's a part of me that wants a necklace like a choker. Yeah, I'm just gonna say that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, but her skin is so I mean, she literally looks like snow white.
Speaker 1: But a choker that was like a thin diamond would have sat beautifully right on the collarbone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just saying, and you would have gone with a shorter airing than maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Okay, listen, it's perfect. But you see, like if we go next to Alfanning in custom, loeve also all Hollywood movie star, and Elle is not only stunning, but she loves fashion. She loves to have fun with it. You can tell she is not a carpet She's obsesssed. She's a sweetheart angel and she actually is an angel, Like I will just always think of her as Aurora forever. She's gonna be Aurora, Yes, Princess Aurora, but I love the choker here. And I love Sam McMillan, her stylist I've known my whole career. I love her. And Elle always looks fall less. I love how she loves fashion. I love how she stands on the carpet. I love how she's a chameleon and does things with her hair and like this is seemingly very simple. Honestly for her it is, but it's gorgeous. Also giving me old Hollywood. I'm obsessed the two of them, honestly perfect.
Speaker 2: And you do you like the peplum I love the pa you like a peplum y? Yes? You know she's just such a cool girl. Yes, And I know that she's very She's not edgy. I don't mean edgy, but I mean she's.
Speaker 1: Good though cool, She's cool. The thing about Elle is she you know, as I said, I think for me. People always ask me if I would style again, and I say that I would only ever do it with someone who loves fashion, meaning someone who is willing to have fun and collaborate, someone who wants to collaborate, someone who is willing to not be safe all the time, you know, and Elle is someone who has really been a fashion chameleon over and over again. She loves it, Yes, and I've talked to her about it. Honestly, she just loves it. And her and Sam do such great things together, and I love it. I love the necklace. I love Cartier.
Speaker 2: No, you love her side part, Rachel's so, I love her side part. We're trying to get Rachel to do the side party.
Speaker 1: I'm like, God, I'm not red.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, you know, beating on that drum.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's not on her. It's cute.
Speaker 2: I mean, she she could wear a paper bags exactly, So let's keep it n okay. Newcomer hotness, gorgeous, She's stunning, Monica Barbaras, she's stunning. She's in a complete unknown with Timothy Shallomey the Bob Dylan film.
Speaker 1: I love him.
Speaker 2: I love him.
Speaker 1: We'll go back to that later, Yes, we will get to miss her. She's stunning, honestly stunning.
Speaker 2: Stunning, so elegant but sexy, youthful.
Speaker 1: I loved this door, yes, like I loved this like every once in a while we need a sexy dress moment, a sexy red dress moment, like and honestly like for a long time. I think there was too many of them. Yes, and it was like we just kept it was like Rent and repeat, Rensom, repeat who's making the sexy red dress? And I feel like I haven't seen one in a while. And this was very not dere like I didn't never no said no, no no.
Speaker 2: And the collar on her skin is stunning, the like simple clean hair.
Speaker 1: I loved it.
Speaker 2: And she's actually been named like a door ambassador if I'm very excited to see Monica on more red carpets.
Speaker 1: Because she's cool.
Speaker 2: She and she just again that point of like.
Speaker 1: I love the diamond, the thing on the on the wrist, I love just like a cuff and a stud.
Speaker 2: Something about SAG Awards is like effortless and so good.
Speaker 1: I'm into it.
Speaker 2: Another winner at the SAG Awards was like one of my favorite favorite favorite up and comers and soy and she won. She's been winning for her her role in the television is Showgun beautiful, strikingly gorgeous and custom.
Speaker 1: Georgia ARMANI preve I kind of knew that when I saw it. I was like, yeah, that is definitely, but it was it was. I mean, it's very architectural, Yes, I think controversial to some you know, like not everyone loves that thing when it's away from the body and like whatever. But what I loved is, to be honest, I don't think the picture does it justice. I think on the carpet in video like it was even better because it looks like it's almost these two things that are disconnected when in the front one in the back, and then it's illusion on the side. And I don't know, she's she's stunning.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about the architecture of the bust area. Yeah, so for me, a fashion norm some of the super architectural builds a La Scaparelli.
Speaker 1: Don't do it for me. Yeah, of course, because you I get that.
Speaker 2: It's a little too it's a little too left of center right this, I think, if you're going to do it, this is like the great compromise. It's like just enough. You know. Some of these like front structure dresses I feel go too high block the collarbone, which feels like all of a sudden, they're like in a cost like I don't know. I thought, this is how you do it if you're going to go more advanced structure in a gown.
Speaker 1: Listen, I think She's so strikingly beautiful that you know, in a way, I would have loved a softer neckline there on her, like have it be a little lower, because what's happening is I want to look at her face, and I'm looking at the top. I want it to like I would like it to be like an inch or two lower, quite honestly, But I also like the severity of it, and I liked the I like the art of it, honestly, I really do.
Speaker 2: She is a winner. She's going to be around for ema.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about Zoe Saldana in Sani Laurent. She's been wearing silurent most of the time this season through Award season, a lot of black, I think, a lot of black. Zoe is one of the coolest women around. She is. She really deserves all this and it's nice to watch her sore in this. Her stylist is Petro Flannery. She's also done a lot of black and a lot of architecture and a lot of like necklines and colors and arm detail and all of the thing. So I mean, I personally have preferred her Bafta one even more. I really loved that that was so ic I would wear that a thousand percent. But I love this too, and I think she looks great. And what I love about Zoe is that she is so stunning. Yes, but she doesn't wear things that ever overpower or take away from her natural beauty. She like, you know what I mean. And I think she looks cool. And she's a mom of three boys, yes, I know. And every time I look at her, I'm like, wow, Okay.
Speaker 2: I saw some somebody online said that she was serving like Dallas realness, Dallas as Joe, But no, I think she's stunning. What do you think of the What do you think of the bracelet? So she has you know, the dress is structured that one there's one sleeve and then sleeveless on the other side. What do you think of the bracelet?
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: It's a it's like a cuff, it's like a it looks like sort of meshy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's perfect. Yeah. I think it picks up on the detail of the architectural shoulder moment, which is obviously what they were trying to do. And I like it, and I think, you know, that's the thing when you have a one shoulder the bracelet should always go on the one that doesn't have You.
Speaker 2: Got to play opposites. Well, she was a winner, so we will see for oscars for missus Zo.
Speaker 1: So this was funny. Kiki Palmer not funny, but Kiki Palmer invented Chanel, and obviously I'd like lit up because I was like, bitched on my dress.
Speaker 2: Be really this When I saw Kiki, I gasped because I was like, this dress, this vented Chanel looks very familiar to.
Speaker 1: Me, and it looks like in the image here is mine right behind it.
Speaker 2: So tell us about this gown.
Speaker 1: So this is from in nineteen eighty seven. I believe this collection Chanel collection nineteen eighty seven black velvet, and this particular detail at the top of the dress. I have the identical dress in a different silhouette, yes, but the exact same top. And it's one of my favorite pieces in my archive. It's so special and I'm so happy to see her where it.
Speaker 2: She looks beautiful, she looks stunning.
Speaker 1: It fits her perfectly. I love the gloves, I love the whole thing.
Speaker 2: I think it looks so gorgeous on her. Again, I love these stars going back and wearing these vintage treasures. Also fun fact, I saw on one of the round up shows that Jamie Lee Curtis wore that dress also in the AA. I saw that, so that was that's cool. I mean, I just love this. I mean, vintage to Melviny, What are you gonna?
Speaker 1: Can we have a moment for Jane Fonda and Bob Mackie. She's such a queen, She's it was HARMANI just kidding. I'm sorry. In my mind it was Bob Mackie because.
Speaker 2: It literally moves like a Bob Mcki.
Speaker 1: Again, I felt like Bob Mackie in my head. But it's actually Georgia Armani Privey and it's beautiful and she's such a coen. She's I mean, everything she says, I just want to hold on to for dear life.
Speaker 2: I could listen to her forever. She's just such an incredible force and role model. She's just the best.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I want to talk about another trend that I really loved because I mean, Mary, you know, in my probably one of the colors I probably styled most in my career was a blush nude yes, And it's always nice to see it because I think it just looks good on every skin tone. Ariana Grande and custom loive, and she looked like an angel princess and she really did. She looked. I think this was one of her most princess fairy kind of moments. Yes, I still haven't seen Wickeds.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be all sess and the kids are gonna love it, do you think, yes, Kaius especially really yes, yes, you should watch it as a family.
Speaker 1: You will be obsessed.
Speaker 2: So again we talked about this four Golden Globes, but both Cynthia Arrivo and Ariana are definitely doing this sort of on carpet character nod that is very popular. So obviously, miss Ariana was nominated and played Glinda from Wicked. And again she's been wearing a lot of pinky, nudy kind of dresses, but to me, this one has been the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She just the way the shoulder drape, the detail of the flowers on the gund I just think she looks so beautiful.
Speaker 1: I agree, I really agree. I have to talk about Sophia Carson though she killed it. Yeah, and honestly, like she knew it. You could tell how someone stands is you know how they feel. And I watched her on video kind of doing her red carpet moment as like she knows she's shutting it down right now. Yeah, like she felt it. It's like how Jlo walks on a carpet.
Speaker 2: She was one of the like host actors for the evening. She was like one of the like ambassador the SAG Awards. So I think she just, like a nominated actor, had the license to like go for it, and she did. She looked like Hollywood royalty.
Speaker 1: She really did. And you know, I never get tired of that. And you know, listen, this was Ili sab show Pard jewelry, very elaborate. She really went for it. It feels very Oscars. This was an Oscar look to me. Yes, I'm glad she did it. Rob and maryel are her stylists who are friends, and they are so talented. I love this look. I also love that it's a moment, Like yeah, I just I love when there's a real Hollywood moment, and this is definitely one of them.
Speaker 2: The hair is beautiful, so clean, and but perfectly leans into the old Hollywood.
Speaker 1: It's also very rare. I can tell you. In my career, I think there's so many times that a look gets destroyed by the wrong hair makeup, and I think this was so right on. Yeah, you know, I think the hair, the make of everything was just absolutely stunning. I have a question for you.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about that, okay, because both of these women, Ariana and Sofia, who wore these sort of pinkinky blush, have very understated glam. Has been doing this sort of like very dainty. She's not doing dramatic eye, she's doing like some good contour and like a like a pretty pink lip, but she's not going going big with the with the makeup and noorous Sofia in this. So is that how you would envision if you had a client?
Speaker 1: I yeah, because the thing when you wear these colors, you have to you can't. You can't wear makeup. That's overpowering because when you're wearing something soft, you have to play off that. You still want the makeup, right, you still want the vibe. But you can do a no makeup makeup and still have I do think you still need a lip, or you still need some smoke around the eye.
Speaker 2: See that's the one little tweak for me. I put some colored lip or I.
Speaker 1: Because but I think on Sophia. She did it beautifully.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's not. She definitely has more eye on for sure, she definitely has more ion. And I mean again, that necklace is like, I can't a hundred carrots. That's the same show part diamonds. It's literally you if you were choking.
Speaker 1: So love how she was standing like the whole thing. I loved this moment.
Speaker 2: She knows what she's doing.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about Erry Washington? Yes, of course, also a friend also styled by Robbie Maryel. She never misses never she was wearing again. It was a huge night for Armani. It was and do you remember at the most recent coture, I said, this was one of my most favorite Harmoni Previo Day shows ever ever, And here we are it was absolutely stunning. It was modern and gorgeous and elaborate and glamorous and I mean screaming award season Yeah. And this look was stunning. I mean again, the perfect sort of blush. It's like a blushy silver metallic stunning. And Carrie's stunning and it was I just love this whole thing. I love that it was sheer without being shaked. Yeah, I mean you said it, not me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think I would love if the sheer trend moved in this direction.
Speaker 1: Because it it's not sheer, yeah, or where it's sheer, but it's but you don't see lady.
Speaker 2: Parts because the art can become the clothes again and the body is not the art anymore, you know. But I think this, like this overlay is so gorgeous and like, I don't know, call me crazy, but like I feel like this is like a cool like bridal second time round vibe married, how gorgeous I get married in this? And she looks honestly comfortable, like the high neck, the long sleep like I'm sure she was like the most comfortable of the night for sure, or if she wasn't, she's hiding it very well. Nominee. One of my favorite queen's, Pamela Anderson's stunning indior white one shoulder looking like.
Speaker 1: Sort of it's out of my archive now it's I was going to say, I feel like you.
Speaker 2: Have of that.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful.
Speaker 2: She look I know how you feel about the no makeup, but if you're gonna do no makeup, you crush it with gown and you crush it with the hair. And I think she did.
Speaker 1: She did, and she's stunning. I think, listen, I have huge admiration for her. I think coming out with a statement about just embracing her natural beauty and not wearing a stitch of makeup, I mean that is that is something that is a subvention.
Speaker 2: Of how we all have seen and thought of Pamela Anderson for years.
Speaker 1: She does not look like a bay Watch babe in a red bathing suit running out of the ocean.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, like happy and.
Speaker 1: Happy, stunning, confident, I'm good vibe and she looks stunning, and I love her and I'm so happy for It's so nice to see, you know, it's so nice to see someone have that, you know, that rebirth and just kind of own who she is. And you know, do you think there's a part of her, because we we're talking before the pot about this, you said, you know, maybe like a little gloss, a little mass care. Do you think there's a part.
Speaker 2: Of her that is like, oh shit, I've like committed to this thing of no makeup and now I have to turn off.
Speaker 1: Every carpet Listen, like moisturizer. I think it's the same thing as women that come out like I'm never getting botox, or I'm never doing, you know, anything to my face, and then I think when they turn a certain age, they're like, my best friend looks really good. But at the same time, I feel like I feel like I admire so much like women that are like, this is me aging, this is me feeling my most beautiful. Yeah, you know, you know me, I'm fighting this every step of the way. But that's me and that's how I feel. And I think everybody is entitled to own what makes them feel the best themselves, because you have to look in the mirror every day, you know.
Speaker 2: And I mean, look, she was nominated for a film called Showgirl, where she's playing a Las Vegas showgirl, So I feel like, you know, tons of makeup, if not right, ballons of makeup, and I feel like, you know, it's just such a way for her as a woman as a person to distance herself from that version of her.
Speaker 1: And I can tell you truthfully, like, as a stylist, so many of my conversations with my clients over the years was sort of like, you know, if they were playing like a really dark role, yeah, you know, they would want to come out either just like that in that somber way and we're black throughout the entire press tour, or they wanted to go the polar opposite and be like, I've been in this dark place with no makeup, not feeling like a woman, not feeling sexy. I am giving Let's go for it life, you know, and I'm going to wear plunging downs and tons of you know, like a red lip and you know, the whole. And so I think you really have to follow the lead of the actor of who they want to put out there, you know, who they want to put into the world, because it's really scary. You know, it's really scary. Everybody's looking at you, everybody's talking about you. Everyone has an opinion, Everyone has an opinion.
Speaker 2: It so goes back to your constant point of like styling is psychology.
Speaker 1: It is psychology. Yeah, it is pniicology social especially with women, but listen with men too, you know, men go through it. I can tell you that I've worked with a lot of men over the years, and they go through it too. Who do they want to be and trying to sort of try to sort of figure out how they can be a little more than they are, but not look too much, not look like they're trying, because there's nothing worse than a guy that looks like he's trying. Who you know, major ick major ick.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's move on to some more controversial outside the box looks from the Evening Queen Cynthia arrivo or vintage Jivonkatur designed by the late Great Master Alexander McQueen.
Speaker 1: Who is lucky enough to meet in my lifetime, which you are so lucky.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about this. Yep, it's obviously not for everybody.
Speaker 1: No, you know, I'd wear it though.
Speaker 2: But that is of course you would. That is so Cynthia and how she has just this entire award season. The really fun thing about the Cynthia and the Ariana Grande of all of this is that they are nominated for Part one of Wicked. There is a part two movie, so they will get to do this all over again. It I know, right, So again we have seen Cynthia wear a lot of green, the nod to Alpha Ba, the character she plays in the film Wicked. This is giving tin man, but I mean, she's she's such an artis and she seeks out true art and so this makes sense to me.
Speaker 1: Listen, I have to tell you the makeup, Yes, with the look and just how she stands in it and she owns it like the thing is like I'm in her head here, Yep, I get this. I would fucking wear this. Yeah, I would. And I think it's cool as shit. It is And is it maybe the form to wear it to sag, maybe it's for more of a fashion event, maybe it's to wear in Paris, But to me a vintage McQueen Javanci moment from nineteen ninety seven and is a moment worth having, Yes, you know, and listen. I also have mad respect for the way that she's expressing herself through fashion, in the way that she wants to do it with giving nods to the character, you know, the character is in the film. And I think, I don't know, I just I think she's so fucking cool. She's you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like I just so do And I love that she's obviously nominated for Oscars and we'll see her again the following week, and this is her chance. She's like, I want to wear something vintage and something amazing, and this is her chance to do it because undoubtedly she has a custom piece coming for Oscar night. I love I love the pacing of how she's rolling out her looks. I think it's really cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, now this one I don't love, and next one I don't love. I'm just here child while our war custom louvaiton. Yes, and we actually put up a pole on our climbing and Hills social to see if people were in love with this or not.
Speaker 2: They were not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's giving lampshade.
Speaker 2: It's you know what it reminds me of.
Speaker 1: And I don't like to say that it's just for me. I just she's so stunning, she's so talented.
Speaker 2: She is such a good actress.
Speaker 1: I sat with her at an event. Actually, she's lovely, so beautiful.
Speaker 2: You know. The thing is is that adds when you're going for something this out there. Let's say it's not showing off her beautiful body in any way, you know, and like, how do you sit in it?
Speaker 1: I want to look I want to look at her, Yes, I want to look at her. And the dress compliment.
Speaker 2: From how beautiful and talented she is, I think a little bit. But it does kind of give this structure of this dress does kind of look like you remember Miss Pots from Beauty and the beast.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my god, yeah, yes, okay, let's talk about guys for a second. Yes, okay, can we talk about Timothy Shelmy all day?
Speaker 2: I'm here all day.
Speaker 1: Okay. So he's been warning, he's been wearing a lot of crumb Hearts by my brilliant friend Laurie Stark Luri and Richard Stark, founders of Crumbhearts, which is at the height of cool. My kids there is a line outside this store in Aspen and in st Bart's ye, and my kids are obsessed and they are just killing it on the carpet with custom for Kim Kurdash. And I mean, obviously Timothy shell May he's just cool. And I listen, I love a guy that is going to be fearless. I mean, we saw Austin Butler when he came through his Elvis tour an award season, wearing like, you know, not what's expected all the time, a little elvisy, a little Celeranie, a little you know. But Timothy, I think here, you know, we just saw him wearing all pink yes to something recently with Kylie Jenner. They're so cute, yes, And I think he's having fun. He's clearly loving the moment. Listen, he's playing Bob Dylan. Yeah, like, have fun with it, have fun with it.
Speaker 2: I think the internet sort of feedback was like, of course, Timothy Shalla make and wear like a leather shooping and like a Cartier Bolero tie and listen cool. I think the green through people.
Speaker 1: Listen, I don't love the green. I would prefer that that was white all day long. I would pay for that to be white.
Speaker 2: Sure, he also won. He also he also.
Speaker 1: I saw the speech. Yeah, it was to be one of the greats. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
Speaker 2: No, there's not.
Speaker 1: I don't think there should be controversy in that. He's basically he was saying like he was basically saying, I admire the greats. I know this isn't popular to speak this way, but I want to be one of the greats, like ipire. What is wrong with that?
Speaker 2: There's nothing wrong with that?
Speaker 1: Like that's why why is that controversial?
Speaker 2: I don't think it was controversial. I think it was just I think people. I think the response to him saying all of that has been really positive that people are now going like, yeah, we should not be afraid of our ambitions or we shouldn't especially women, we shouldn't hold back. And he literally stood up there and said, I want to be Danield Lewis. I want to be like you know, Viola Davis, like he's great Marlon Brando without shame, and it's like good for yeah, and he will he will.
Speaker 1: By the way, It's true because I think as women were always like, oh, I want to be that. I want to be really good at what.
Speaker 2: I do, right, or you don't even say that.
Speaker 1: No, I want to be the fucking best, right. But I will say this for me, coming up in my career, I think everyone was like, well, what was your goals, what was your goals? What was your blueprint? And my answer was just always like I didn't have a plan. I just wanted to be the best at what I was doing. And the thing is, it's so subjective, right because people always like, oh, you were at this or you're that, and it's like, well, there also could have been a lot of people that were like she fucking.
Speaker 2: Sucked, sure, like that's life.
Speaker 1: I hated her fucking stuff, right.
Speaker 2: Like, so, I'm sure some people saw him play Bob Dylan, true die hard Dylan people and were like, no, not for me. However, he like committed five years of his life to stunning and then playing and shooting as Bob Dylan. So I think he's incredible. I think his again. He can wear whatever he wants. He's also a fashion guy, like he's not afraid. He's out here to take risks.
Speaker 1: I also love that he speaks French fluently. I'm sorry, he's Yeah, he's the hip boy I mean, and he's going to be around forever.
Speaker 2: Love him, okay, True man.
Speaker 1: And Valentino new Valentino on the showdra mckelly. He's on Outer Banks. For those of you that don't know him, he pas. He plays wrath Raf.
Speaker 2: He's very handsome.
Speaker 1: He is very handsome.
Speaker 2: We pulled this look. People are very confused by a scarf worn in place of a traditional neck tie.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna say what is going on here? Okay, So here's the thing. One of the things I find the hottest on men is when instead of a tie, they might do like an ascot. Traditionally it's called more of a scarf, but it's tucked into the shirt when it's open. I find that extremely hot. It's very European. It's very viby, you know. I love that moment. Yes, I'm not someone that's obsessed with ties. I'm not someone that's obsessed with bow ties. However, why PTSD this one?
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Alissandra mckelly, who used to be at Gucci, has now taken over as the creative directors of Valentino And the jacket, the shirt, the pants. I actually love the pants. I think I think the pants are great. I love I love like it's somewhat saucy, but it has a seam which I love. I love the cuff, I love the way the jacket fits. I think it's great. The scarf as a tie is not working for me. I think that alissandrum kelly always has a little bit of camp. Yes, and I think this is just one of the new things that he's brought to the runway. And understandably people don't love it necessarily it's too long.
Speaker 2: Don't you. Yeah, don't you think it's a proportion thing. Yeah?
Speaker 1: But also like I wouldn't put red there. I wouldn't. I wouldn't have that be read. I'm more tonal like political guys. Yeah, I mean a red tie right now. I'm also a little sensitive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just the blue with the I don't know it's giving like it just it ruins it for me.
Speaker 1: It ruins it for me. But he's gorgeous. The look is gorgeous minus the scarf tie.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I think we can just give a general shout out to the men in Hollywood taking chances these days. They're not all in black anymore. They're taking chances with color and shapes.
Speaker 1: I love a guy who has style.
Speaker 2: I mean, Kendrick Lamar wore flaired jeans.
Speaker 1: You know I loved that. I loved it. I love a man in flared Dunham.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: I do. Like why not, Like I feel like a Coachella, We're going to see a lot of guys in Florid Dunham.
Speaker 2: I think you're right. I definitely I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: You know I've always been. I've been here for it. I mean when Hetty Slamine took over Selene, I mean everyone was in Yes, and I'm I'm I'm here for it. You know that I will. I will die in a wide leg or a flair.
Speaker 2: We know it. We know it.
Speaker 1: Granted it has to be.
Speaker 2: Chanel, but well, here we go. I think very very huge Chanelle flares coming up on Hollywood's biggest night. The Oscars are right around the corner. Thoughts and prayers to all stylists, makeup artists, hair stylist, hair stylist, jewelry lenders, uh, dress steamers, everyone, social media capturers. Thoughts and prayers with everybody going into the big, big, big red carpet. We're excited to see it.
Speaker 1: Until post Oscars, we will talk next week about all things. Thank you so much for listening to Climbing in Heels. If you haven't already, please subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, the iHeart app, or wherever you get your podcasts so you don't miss a single episode this season. And be sure to follow me on Instagram at Rachel Zoe and the show at Climbing in Heels pod for the latest episodes and updates. I will talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: Thirty two forty people