Speaker 1: Welcome to episode number two oh nine of the Marine Layer Podcast. The Mariners announced their new look twenty twenty five broadcast team. We'll talk about all the differences, and we'll also pick out a breakout Mariner as we enter spring training.
Speaker 2: Here's your guys reminder, make sure you're downloading these podcast episodes if you're listening, if you're on that audio side, take a second just rate and review. Leave it five stars. We're still trying to get all those Apple reviews up, so keep doing that. If you're on YouTube, please hit that subscribe button. You guys, see it, It's right in front of you. Just takes a second to do. It's the best way you can support the channel. Make sure I like, drop a comment, then follow us all across social media at marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 1: Let's get it rolling, and we welcome you to this episode of the Marine Layer Podcast, part of the Just Baseball podcast network. Recording on Thursday evening, February thirteenth. The Mariners reported to spring training this week. Oh so so happy. I have one takeaway already. It has nothing to do with baseball. Did you see the big letters You're back on the jerseys?
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank god.
Speaker 1: Our long national nightmare is over.
Speaker 2: That might have been one of the few things in this entire country where the opinions on that were one hundred percent to zero percent. And was there one single person out there that was like, you know what, I like the small letters, this is better. I don't miss the old jerseys at all. No, I don't think you could pull one person that said in with the new jerseys from last year.
Speaker 1: You know how we talked about Coachella jerseys. All those small letter jerseys are now officially Coachella jerseys because they're antiques. They're a one and done.
Speaker 2: For those who don't know, why don't you explain your definition of Coachella jerseys so everyone.
Speaker 1: I assume everyone knows what Coachella is, But if people are unfamiliar with Coachella, it's a music festival in Indio, California, during the spring. It's there in the spring, right about. Iwa washed. Okay, thank you glad. I'm not glad. I'm not dating myself here. So people like to dress up there, guys. It's a variety of what they dress, but a lot of people will wear jerseys there, and I think the best kind of jersey to wear. It's not like your most popular jersey, not something you'd wear out to a sports bar to if you're going to the Eagles victory parade today on Friday. For some reason, you're an Eagles fan and an MS fan listening listening to us, shout out to you, that's that would be amazing. But no, this is these are like the very niche jerseys, Like these are a player that you have, you had no idea that he played for that team. It's got to be a combination of very rare player with a very rare you know, hype of jersey. This is easier to do in the NBA that has more jerseys, Baseball less so, but think of like a Mariner's Coachella jersey. Toffy Gooeswitch is a Coachella jersey.
Speaker 2: Nobody owns that jersey.
Speaker 1: James Jones, what about that Tommy Lostella jersey?
Speaker 2: You saw That's a Coachella jersey. For those who missed it. Last year, there was legitimately somebody on Opening weekend wearing a City Connect Tommy Listella jersey and I asked this guy, why do you own this? And he's like, oh, it's my friends, it's not mine. He just led it to me for the day and I said, why does he own it? And he goes, I don't know. For a reference, Tommy Listella got cut the day before the first time the Mariners wore their City Connect jerseys. And it's not like those jerseys are any cheaper. It's not like because you get Tommy Listella over Julio it's cheaper. No, it's all the same price. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: So who is the who's the most Coachella worthy Mariter?
Speaker 2: There's a bunch. Doug Fister. Did people have his jersey back then?
Speaker 1: What about Edwin and Kernasione?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's one.
Speaker 1: Carlos Pagero, m Depth, that's one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, James Jones is a good one.
Speaker 1: Michael Saunders shuttle, Michael Saunders back in the org.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what. Oh, we're just yeah, we.
Speaker 1: Know I have one. Because he's now retired, we have to shout him out. Daniel vogelback, Oh.
Speaker 2: That's a good one. That is a good one. You know what, Now that he's a friend of ours, I'll just throw his out there too. Charlie Furbush jersey and Charlie. Charlie would probably agree if if he saw somebody wearing his jersey out at Coachelli. Yeah, that's warranted to.
Speaker 1: So we're in that bucket. Tom Whomeson qualifies.
Speaker 2: Man, there's a lot of good options, really good options.
Speaker 1: Who This is not something you can do with the Yankees. They have too many good players who stay on the team for too long. We need more, we need more variety. Yeah, the Mariners I feel like are perfect for that.
Speaker 2: They are. You know what My quick takeaway is, it's pretty much non baseball before we really get into things. They made some upgrades to the Puria Sports Complex. So there's a little less pavement area on the patio, which is basically the area that TJ and I'll stand and hang out and kind of just wait around for players to hopefully swing by. It's where more anyway, in all seriousness, that's where most of the media hangs out during spring training when they're not on the field. It's now more turf. They put in some more area for infield work next to the bullpen area. So they made some upgrades and it seems like now there's a little bit more of an area for position players in addition to where the pitchers will throw their bullpens so, yeah, the Mariners made some pretty cool upgrades to it. It looks like so I'm excited to go see it.
Speaker 1: Was it the camera angle that made it look like Kirby was throwing a bullpen somewhere else?
Speaker 2: No, it was the same spot again. The reason you didn't recognize it is because we're divish was standing recording those videos. Instead of being basically adjacent to the mound where he often will stand, this time he's at a different angle, and I think that's because of the new turf they put in, so now he has to stand somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Interesting. I'm excited to see it when we get down there. I'm excited to get some sunshine. It's snowed today. Great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, February is one busy month for us in a good way. And what does that involve. Well, one of those things is being down at spring Training, which we will be there from February twenty fourth through March first, so the last week of February. So if you are going to be there anywhere in that time span, like we keep saying, please please flag us down, let us know, love to meet up. Oh yeah, you know what in addition to that, if we're just talking about the busy month of February. Let's just talk about a couple other things here. Well, we just got back from DC, so fun trip with our friends. That's now concluded. Again, we're going down to spring training. Quick turnaround here in about ten days. In between them time, we've got our first live show coming up. Man, we know whoa one week away from time of recording this one week away when you guys listen, it'll be six days away. Thursday, February twentieth, six pm, moss By, Hall and Kirkland. Cannot cannot wait, guys, It's gonna be a blast. We've already gotten a bunch of feedback from people saying this sounds awesome. I can't wait to make it out. We hope all you guys are in that same boat, because it's not just gonna be some show where TJ and I stand up there and talk. No, we want to get all you guys involved. We want your questions. In fact, I'm giving a homework assignment to everybody that comes to the show. Come prepared with a question to ask us, because we want to hear from you whatever's on your mind, whether it's mariners, whether it's whatever you want to talk about. We're gonna answer it. We're also gonna be doing trivia with prizes to give away. If that's another incentive for you to go. There's another way to get in the door and be motivated to come hang out with us as trivia with prizes and if you need a third kicker, free to get in, no charge, free to get in, free to come hang out. So next Thursday, February twentieth to six pm, we can't wait.
Speaker 1: Sounds pretty fun. The food's good too, and the drinks, oh food, So you have no reason. You have legitimately zero reason to skip.
Speaker 2: So the smash burger at Maspe is unreal.
Speaker 1: It's really good. The pretzels we had the beignets last week, those are pretty good too. If you like fried dough, yeah, so please come through. M on one last reminder before we jump into the main topic of today's show, we did start a Patreon, So if you want to listen to us and you want to support lyon usly on myself, you can go sign up for our Patreon. There's a free version, there's a paid version. I know some of you like to listen to stuff ad free and are willing to try and find a way to go do that. Well, now you have an option here with this podcast, where we're going to make all of our stuff over on our Patreon ad free. So if you like listening to us but don't want to listen to any ads, you can go support us directly and go over to the Patreon and it's only five bucks a month. We're looking to add more, We're hoping to as this season goes along. We're gonna add some more features on top of that, some live chats, some more exclusive things that happen over there on the Patreon, which will give you reason to come sign up and hang out with us. And I will again just note it changes absolutely nothing with what we currently do. Every single bit of content that we currently put out for free will continue as as planned. There will be zero changes in that aspect, and we look forward to ramping everything up as the season goes along. So if you're interested in supporting us, listening to the podcast ad free, and a whole lot more fun features in the future, go check out our Patreon Marine Layer Pod a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Really fun. Hey guys, just give us a little bit of time. We're gonna be adding more features to that Patreon more ways for you guys and us to all interact and talk ball. So just give us little bit of time, but we're gonna add more up.
Speaker 1: First on the topic wheel today, Lyle. While we were on vacation, the Mariners finally well, actually, let me clarify this. Let me clarify. Mariners didn't announce anything yet, but it was reported by Adam Jude of what the changes in the Mariners broadcast booth will be this for this upcoming season. And as a couple of broadcasters, the two of us, this is right up our atley to talk about. Let's roll through it. So the details are. Dave Simms, of course, takes the job with the Yankees. He's out. Mike Flowers will not be returning to the Mariners broadcast team for the twenty twenty five season. Very interesting. Aaron Goldsmith goes to lead TV play by play. Gary Hill gets elevated into Goldie's role on the radio. He's tabbed as the quote unquote radio analyst. But I'd imagine Gary's going to be getting innings every night now alongside Rickriz And then the Mariners are now going to rotate for color analysts alongside Aaron Goldsmith, Angie Mentink, Jay Buner, Dave Valley, and Ryan Roland Smith. Where should we start with this.
Speaker 2: Let's just start here. Super cool for everybody involved in this broadcast package. Aaron Goldsmith was twenty nine years old when he came to Seattle. He talked about he felt like he had a ton to learn, a lot of experience he still needed to gain. Fast forward just over a decade later, and now he's the TV voice of the Mariners full time. Sick. That's awesome for Goldie. And you don't need us to tell you that he is one of the best in baseball. So to see him be on TV full time now one awesome for Dave. Like we talked about that, Dave Simms is gonna be the radio voice of the Yankees, which we know is a dream job. But now that Goldie gets to take over on TV full time, also awesome.
Speaker 1: Congrats to Goldie. That's absolutely amazing. I'm so I'm gonna miss the chemistry that he and Blowers had A lot he ended up getting for the time they worked together. Their chemistry was pretty unrivaled. Mike Blowers and Dave Simms had been spent a ton of time in the booth together and had some amazing moments. But the chemistry that Goldie and Blowers had when they would share the TV booth I thought was unrivaled. In fact, the only thing that would really come close to it is when Goldie and Gary would call a game on the radio like that. It's that level of chemistry, I think which makes these broadcasts that much better. And I'm not saying it can't be replaced by the four color analysts I mentioned that we will dive into here in a second, but that group, that pairing of Blowers and Goldie, I thought really was the best that the Mariners could put out there in the television booth. And it's just very disappointing that Blowers is not going to be in that booth for this upcoming season. For people who are going to inevitably in the comments ask us why Blowers is not back in the booth, I don't know. Wasn't reported, and I don't think there'll be a reason. The only way we'd get a reason is if Blowers would say it, But he's a pretty private person, so I don't think he would say it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: If you want to speculate, go ahead, if we don't have.
Speaker 2: A reason, right if you want to speculate, Look, obviously he missed a lot of time during the twenty twenty three season. We know he was battling with some health stuff. We know toward the tail end of twenty twenty four if you remember, he wasn't on a lot of those broadcasts either. So maybe it's something along those lines. But again that is pure, pure speculation from the two of us. We don't know, and like TJ said, unless it gets reported, I don't think we'll ever find out. But what that does is it gets to elevate some other people into who are awesome, into some really cool roles. I will say on the Goldiean Gary platform, I hope those two still find a way to be together on whether it's radio broadcasts or whatever it may be, because I don't want their chemistry to totally go away where they're no longer talking together anymore. Not that they're not talking off the air, those guys are basically best friends, but on the air, I hope they still find a way to integrate the two together.
Speaker 1: I'm dead serious when I say as much as I love Rick Riz, he's a legend. He's a Mariner's Hall of Famer. He should be in the Made in the Baseball Hall of Fame. I mean, the dude will go down on the Mount Rushmore of Seattle broadcasters of all time, right up there next to Daveney House. That's the kind of impact he's made on the city and with the franchise and the overwhelming positivity for this franchise, even when they probably deserve none. You know who's gonna be the mister positive about the Seattle Mariners. It's Rick Riz And that's just that's because that's who he is. He's mister Positive. And it's and it's fantastic. But the best product that the Mariners put out in the radio, I thought from a listener perspective, is when Goldie and Gary would do it. They play. They could play off each other so well that there's all these like little references that you can make throughout a broad cast that instantly gets picked up on. There's no lag time, there's no miss there's no nothing. It's the storytelling. It's the weaving in both old school and new school. It's the it's just a whole combination of things that made it fantastic. I hope we'll get that eventually sometime. I I feel like there's I feel like there's still an opportunity for that, but we'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, to be fair, Blowers would do some pregame and postgame stuff on the radio while also calling the game on TV. So maybe there will be times throughout the week where Goldie and Gary hop on the radio together post game and they get their pregame and they get to talk in that regard. But yeah, I'm sure the Mariners know that one Goldie and Gary are a great combo, and I'm sure that they know that fans know that those two are great combos. So yes, hopefully they find a way to get those two integrated.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't rule that out at all. In fact, I would say that's more than likely that they're gonna get an opportunity to do that, because you know what they wasn't reported in all this, which I thought was very interesting and I will keep an eye out for when the Mariners officially announce it. There was nothing talked about with pregamer postgame shows. And now remember the news this offseason that major League Baseball's taking on the production of roots sports, and that does change the product they put out there. What would they decide to do with the pregame and postgame show with our friend Brad Adam Like, what happens with that? We don't know. I guess we're gonna have to.
Speaker 2: Say, Well, it was reported that the Brad's still going to be involved in a variety of ways, so he's skid. Yeah, so he will still have some involvement. Again, when the Mariners announce it all, we'll probably have a little bit more clarity on what exactly each role is. But yes, like the back Brad's still going to be involved is great. But if it's a shorter pregame and postgame show, for example on TV this year, then yes, that does give Goldie more of a chance to hop over on the radio before and after the game and hang out with Rick and Gary.
Speaker 1: I want to give a shout out to Angie Mentink. Congratulations. What an awesome opportunity for her to become. It's the official titles the first the first woman to hold a primarily primary analyst role in Seattle sports. If I believe I have that right, m.
Speaker 2: M yeah, I mean her and her and hyphen are going to be the main two, right. I guess we don't know yet who's doing the bulk of the games on the analyst side, but Angie is absolutely going to be doing a bunch of them. I think that's clear. And it's yeah, and it's it.
Speaker 1: Could be a split, it could be a split.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could be a split. Regardless, it's it's awesome for her. Yeah, Like if you ever talked to Angie, she knows so much baseball and has such a wide knowledge of the game that yeah, now now she gets to bring that to the airwaves every night. Pretty cool, really cool.
Speaker 1: And then Hyphen, I mean Hyphen was one of the best in the game. I really do enjoy listening to Ryan Rowland Smith. I did raise an eyebrow a little bit that Jay Buhner is going to be back in back rotating it because he as far I know, in his force he told when he came back last year they had the Buni boscut night. He does not live here. Makes it a little bit more difficult to rotate in when you don't you don't live here. And it's not like lives in Oregon. No, he lives in Texas.
Speaker 2: Right Like for example, when when Kayla was on the broadcast in twenty three kayleb Brow, who was also awesome and loved listening to her when she was on. Before she took the coaching job back at her alma mater at Alabama for softball, she would live in Oregon. She lived in Oregon before they moved, and she would just fly up for some series from time to time because it's it's shorter. Sometimes she drive. But yeah, Jay Buner's not living in Oregon. He's living in Texas. So if I had to guess what this means, I would guess they might have him do some of the series when the Mariners traveled to Texas because it'll be a little bit closer for him, And then maybe he also flies up for a handful of series throughout the year. I'm sure he's not going to relocate if I had to guess, but I would guess they'll mix him in in that way. I'm sure he's not going to be doing the primary number of games as the TV analyst, but they will probably work him in in facets like that.
Speaker 1: So you could say you fly him up for a week two series at home, and then four series in Texas, because that's what the reply.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's roughly fifteen to twenty games. That's that's a reasonable amount of games throughout the year.
Speaker 1: They'll play a series in Arizona this too, this year too, right, you know, so that's another Yeah, Yeah, it's not too far away.
Speaker 2: Right, They'll find a way to work him in. And then Dave Valley I, as far as I know, still lives in the area, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who's remember during the Rangers series last year he was doing Rangers TV but in Seattle. Yeah, right, in Seattle.
Speaker 2: M hm. So he'll probably get worked in in a variety of ways.
Speaker 1: But he hasn't been on routin a while.
Speaker 2: Has it been a while?
Speaker 1: It feels like it's been a while, all right, So now.
Speaker 2: They're going to start to work him back in. But I would assume Hyphen and Angie are going to be the majority, get the majority of the reps and games as the TV analyst, which again awesome for both of them. Hyphen has been such a supporter of ours and now a friend of ours throughout starting this podcast, so couldn't be more thrilled for him. Somebody who is super passionate about one baseball but two broadcasting and has certainly made an awesome career for himself post playing with Now he's on MLB Network, he does his own podcast. Now he's gonna be one of the main TV analysts for the Mariners. It's awesome for him, and then for Angie, who again is as knowledgeable about the game as almost anybody in the Mariners media that you'll find she Again, if you ever talked to Angie about baseball, it doesn't take you long to realize, Yeah, she really really knows her stuff. And to see her get this chance and to see her get a bunch of more games awesome for her. Another person who's been super supportive of the both of us, so happy for her.
Speaker 1: And we're hoping to get her on Yeah, hopefully soon.
Speaker 2: That would be great, Like love to have her on if she's ever available and willing.
Speaker 1: To do it. Shall we get to our breakout Mariners?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Is there anything else to kind of tie a bow on with this whole broadcast thing? Or do we hit the nail on the head again? Like the big thing I'm coming to the conclusion here is legitimately just thrilled for everybody involved, because everybody involved not only are they great broadcasters, but they're just they're just awesome people. Who deserve the opportunities. So I'm excited to see what the new age of marriage broadcasting looks like.
Speaker 1: I'm glad to see all these announcements, But what I've been most curious about how all off season, if I can get my words straight, is what what are the broadcasts going to look like? How much changes with Major League Baseball taking over? How much time are they shaving off the broadcasts? And then where does it go after this season? We speculated last year that last year could have been the last year of ROUTE, not this upcoming season. They haven't said whether or not ROOT would continue beyond this year or not, but we know it. It's heading in the direction of them going under Major League Baseball's umbrella. So how does that look a year from now too? That's sort of the information I look at with this, but at least for this year, that's what this is what we're looking at, and I'm just I'm thrilled for everybody involved. And what we're gonna get to listen to is listen to in the booth and hopefully there will be some good baseball to talk about.
Speaker 2: Definitely, definitely, Yeah. We may not know what the future of the TV broadcasts look like till one we get to see some games once they start this year, I don't know if we'll have a full idea in spring training or not. And two, once time goes on, and maybe one of those things we just learned with time.
Speaker 1: What would help is if some of these guys that we're going to talk about next play, like we're going to predict them to play going through spring training and into opening gay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and before we do that, because I cannot wait to talk about a bunch of these guys, there's a lot of really exciting names to keep an eye out on and look for in spring training this year because there are some prospects that are really going to turn some heads. Before that, it's take a quick pause. Talk to you guys about our friends over at Pagatcha's Pub eighty five. That's over in Kirkland. If you want a spot to go hang out with your friends, an awesome spot. You want to go watch some games with college basketball in full swing, you want to go play some pool or some darts, you want to have some awesome food, it's all over there. And if you want great drink specials, the happy hour over there is awesome drinks are three and four bucks. It's from two to six pm on Monday through Fridays. Those are awesome happy hour deals. You guys go over and take advantage of it. All of that is over at Pagatcha's Pub eighty five in Kirkland.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna start with you, lyle, who are your breakout Let me frame it this way, who is your breakout Mariner this spring.
Speaker 2: There's two ways that I'm gonna go about this. I'm gonna give one honorable mention and then give my main guy. And you have some honorable mentions too, right, I have two actually, so let's start with the honorable mentions and then we'll move into our highlight guy honorable mention. I went with Gregory Santos because is Gregory Santos breaking out? Well, he'd break out with the Mariners if he breaks out, But he's not a breakout candidate because he was acquired to Seattle to be a high leverage arm. We just didn't get to see it last year because he missed most of the year with injury. But this is a guy that if he breaks out with the Mariners this year, if he stays healthy and pitches the way he pitched in Chicago makes a full one to eighty difference to this bullpen. This bullpen does not have all the problems it has last year. If Gregory Santos is just healthy, even with Matt Brash missing the year, if Santos was just healthy all year, this bullpen looks vastly different. A guy that has just dynamite stuff bowling ball type sinker runs it up to the upper nineties. And this guy's slider again, it's it's easy to forget because he barely threw last year. His slider was one of the best pitches pitches in Major League Baseball back in twenty twenty three. That is a huge reason the Mariners acquire the guy dynamite slider and is still honestly an unfair product. For as good as he was in twenty three, he only really had one dominant pitch. With the idea that, yeah, this guy's just getting started. He's got all this club control, he's young, he's got this crazy stuff. We got him into our pitching lab, into Seattle. Oh, this guy's gonna be a difference maker for us for a long time. And if he stays healthy this year, I think he is going to be.
Speaker 1: That Santos is the rare, established big leaguer that you could throw in. Still needs to break out personally, as you mentioned, because he changed teams and it doesn't matter at this point. It doesn't matter as much what he did in Chicago, like it showed what kind of pitcher he could be. But the Mariners are a different organization than Chicago. They're gonna have different ideas of what they want him to throw and how they want him to attack. But he's also going to show the Mariners that, you know, I can stay healthy for an entire season, because that's what really matters the most here is that he shows up to Seattle last year, struggles with injury and barely barely pitches it all. It's gonna be something that people are very happy about if if he can come out this spring training and he can do exactly what he did. Yeah, you and I were talking about this before we started recording. It's like, does he count? I mean, he's got a full season under his belt. I do think relievers are different than every other position when it comes to is this can we call this a breakout player or not? Because relievers are so up and down that that if you're on like a downstretch trying to find some words here. If relievers are on a downstretch and then suddenly break out again, I feel like something like that counts. You could say the same thing, like if Tally fealese Lyle, if he comes out and dominates the spring and starts throwing ninety nine again, you'd call that a breakout.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, are you under the impression Neftally Police is gonna be throwing ninety nine miles in?
Speaker 1: I'm just saying if we love hypotheticals, we do.
Speaker 2: However, you know it's not a hypothetical. This guy's thrown five big league innings in the last seven years.
Speaker 1: Or Shintaro Fujinami shows up and he doesn't walk a guy all spring, that that would be a breakout, but he's been in the big leagues for multiple seasons now.
Speaker 2: Fujinami is a much more realistic idea of a bullpen breakout than nif Tali Fleies.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna say when nif Tali Feliz is in in a game in April?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, is this twenty eleven?
Speaker 1: I hope not.
Speaker 2: Fujinami actually could break out, But if we're sticking on Santo's here again. If you just want to run through the guy's numbers, because it's easy to forget what he did just one baseball season ago, in twenty twenty three, he made just shy of seventy appearances. E A was three three nine, pipp was two sick, and again, that slider was one of the best pitches in Major League baseball. Back in twenty three. Opponents against his slider slugged two oh three. They did not bat two oh three, they slugged two oh three. Are the Mariners a different organization than the White Sox, Yes, well, they have slightly different ideas for him. Yes, but I cannot imagine Pete Woodworth and Trent blank are looking at Gregory Santos and saying, yeah, that slider yours. Stop throwing it. You're gonna see that slider plenty if he's healthy, and if he is healthy, I think he is gonna dominate with it.
Speaker 1: Let's reframe the question. What does a Gregory Santo's spring training breakout look like.
Speaker 2: Well, relievers never usually get more than five maybe six appearances all spring, so it's about five to six innings. But if in those few innings, he's throwing strikes, slider, looks good, fastballs up, and he's spotting up his pitches and he stays healthy. That's a breakout. If Gregory's Santos and six appearances, gives up one run, isn't walking guys, and looks like twenty twenty three Gregory Santo's or some form of it, I would call that a breakout.
Speaker 1: By up you mean velocity velocity up.
Speaker 2: Yes, if he is throwing in the mid to upper nineties, and usually he's in the upper nineties, so yeah.
Speaker 1: That'll be a good start. I think ninety three would be concerning what I think the Mariners would be looking for. I feel like they just want to see the VLO and the stuff. I don't know if the results matter as much. That's why, Well that's when we talk.
Speaker 2: But results would get fans excited. It might not matter to the Mariners. But if Santos throws six scoreless innings in spring training and it's throwing ninety six to ninety seven, fans are gonna be like, oh, he's back, he's back.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a fair point. I'm sort of thinking along the lines of Gregory Santos is so talented and they gave up something at least to acquire him, and he's aently shown for a full season he can be a dominant big league relief farm that you know, even if he gave up three runs and six innings, like you just kind of shrug shoulders at that, because they're looking for a tune up, They're not looking for close out a spring training win. I'm remember a couple of conversations we had with guys at spring training last year who were the year prior on the roster bubble and had to worry about performing and not giving up runs in spring training, but then the year after there was so much less of a worry of going out there and just working on yourself essentially and not worrying too much about the results. More looking at and by throwing the right pitch in the right count, is my velocity good, etc. I'd be like, that's what Gregory Santos wants to see, and I think that's what the Mariners themselves would qualify as a breakout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair, no doubt. If they see the stuff that they want to see from Gregory Santos, that's what's most important. We had one of those conversations with Gabe last spring. Gabe spire, Oh, okay, yeah, he had an outing where, yeah, it wasn't his best outing, but again, it's spring training. It's not always about the results. As I'm like, how did it feel yesterday, It's like, dude, honestly felt awesome. I know it wasn't my best outing, but I was everything I wanted to work on and get done in that outing. I did, and then he went out and had an awesome April. If you remember, he was one of baseball's best relievers in the month of April. So yeah, spring training results don't always matter. Logan Gilbert said something similar. I remember he had a start that wasn't his best in spring training. It's not uncommon at all for guys who are just getting warmed up, and similar thing. He said, Yeah, like, I felt good, I did what I wanted to do in that outing. It just the results weren't perfect. But this is what spring training's for.
Speaker 1: And I remember asking Gabe if this was last year, would you be freaking out right now?
Speaker 2: And he's like, yeah, but since he was so great in twenty three, he didn't have to, right, he had earned his roster spot, right, and by the way, he's a guy the Mariners are banking on again in twenty five to bounce back, and I've talked about that plenty. If he's healthy, I think he will, and that's a guy they really need.
Speaker 1: Do we qualify that as like, that's not a breakout, but that would be I mean, that would be enough to borderline and on this honorable mentioned list. If we see our guy like Gabe go out there and have seven dominant outings, oh yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: More of a bounce back because well, you know what, though, then he's in the same bucket as Gregory Santo's just on. It's just Santos was on a different team. Greg You're in twenty three down year in twenty four, bounces back in twenty five. Yeah, it's probably the same bucket.
Speaker 1: And for Gabe, he hadn't had him and Santos at that point, it each would have had one full dominant big league season and then scattering.
Speaker 2: Right right, Yeah, similar bucket. I think Santos there's a little bit more of an intrigue and a little bit more of an unknown because again, people haven't seen him dominate in a Mariner uniform yet. But that is a long honorable mention. What's that?
Speaker 1: And he's a little younger, a little younger that was a long honorable.
Speaker 2: Mention, but an honorable mention regardless, because he's gonna be really important.
Speaker 1: I don't think any any anyone is gonna be surprised when I say I want to see Ryan Bliss break out this spring training, as he's my first honorable mention. The second base position is going to be a common theme from what I choose, and I'm gonna start with the guy as an honorable mention who saw some time in the big leagues last year and had some success. Therefore, can it be a total breakout for Ryan Bliss? Well, I think the guy the guy did choose at second base hasn't played a big league game yet, therefore he gets to earn the honorable mention instead. But I still want to see a lot from Ryan Bliss, and I think the Maritas would be so excited to see what Ryan Bliss could do in spring training. Hitters are a little bit different than pictures when it comes to spring training. Pictures have, as we've talked about, specific things they want to work on in spring training, and hitters do too. But hitters want to see results in spring. Well, they ultimately matter when the season rolls around. Maybe maybe not. Like remember remember the twenty fifteen spring with Mike Sanino and Chris Bryant going at it for the Cactus League home run home run title. Yeah, Zinino got sent down that year.
Speaker 2: I believe right he did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see. So it just doesn't It just doesn't matter all that much the results because you can you can never tell. But I'm sure Ryan Bliss would love to see some results because guess what, I'm thinking that second base position is for the most part his for the first two months of the season.
Speaker 2: And going forward, if Bliss is hitting the second base position, maybe Bliss and the guy you're gonna highlight here in a couple of minutes, because that would be essentially a platoon roll over at the position, and then you move Dylan Moore back to being a utility player where he's best suited.
Speaker 1: Anyway, if you look at the broad stroke of Bliss's twenty twenty four season, you see he was about a league average hitter. He was worth about half a win in a handful of games. He struck out thirty one percent of the time. He struggled with velocity. He swung and missed a lot, which is expected from a young player making his major league debut. But then you look at some of the other numbers with Ryan Bliss and what he offered up last year. A twenty one percent chase rate, which is borderline elite. You look at his hard hit rate of forty six and a half percent, that's pretty good. You look at his launch angle sweet spot percentage, which is the percent of time you are getting it between eight degrees and thirty two degrees, which is the ideal place to hit a baseball if you're looking for damage. Ryan Bliss did that as well. You look at those numbers specifically, and you think there's a lot of encouragement there for a guy to have some real success at the big league level this year. He's not going to be Robinson Cano at the plate, but at least you know he does do things well and for a player of his size, he's got some pop in that bat, which I think people are going to be really excited to see, and the Mariners are going to if they're going to be successful this season, have to see success from him. There are reasons why he's gonna have to play even after my breakout candidate gets up to the big leagues this year and plays that. Ryan Bliss is gonna have to continue playing and playing well at second base, that is, unless you want Demo Lyle to play more second base. I would rather see Ryan Bliss.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, I say it all the time. I know I'm a demo guy, but he is best suited in a utility role to move around wherever he's needed, not to be playing one position all the time. And yeah, Bliss is younger, He's got a little more upside at this point. Plus with everything he has the potential to do with the bat, he's a good defender too, something the Mariners don't usually get at second base. Now. He doesn't have the strongest arm in the world, that's for sure, but in terms of his range and his defense with the glove, he's a good defender.
Speaker 1: And that matters and runs really well, which the Mariners need a lot of, right, right, So there's a lot of There's a lot of reasons to think Ryan Bliss can be successful to spring, and in his case, a successful spring I think will help a lot when he makes the Mariners roster in April, it's cold and he needs some confidence at the plate to get himself going offensively. Yeah, let me get to my do you have it more thing?
Speaker 2: Oh and just look, I know there was plenty of talk all off season about the second base spot, plenty of it by us.
Speaker 1: But this stands by the way, well it stands, it stands.
Speaker 2: But you know what also stands is, I would love, love, love to see Ryan Bliss break out because we've talked about plenty another one of these guys who is incredibly easy to root for. It might be we've said this about a bunch of guys, but he's in this conversation might be the nicest guy in the whole org.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my next TONOA will mention Hunter Cranton.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, that's a good one. Hunter Cranton, for those who don't know, was drafted last year, third round last year as a reliever. Now, some of you might say Mariners drafted a reliever in the third round. Well, they use so much money on the first two picks, and rightfully so, because both the picks look awesome so far, with Gerangelo Sanja and then overslotting Ryan Sloan in the second round, that the rest of that draft was used on a lot of guys you were able to give a little less money to. And when you draft a reliever in the third round, he's probably not signing for slot value. It's probably gonna be less than that. Hence therow in Hunter Cranton, who you get for under slot. And fast forward to now. He could be this year's Troy Taylor, where he's up in the big leagues by the end of this year.
Speaker 1: And that's what the Mariners had mind that they thought last year that he could have. There was like this long shot outside chance he makes the big leagues when they drafted him last year. Because they drafted him, he's twenty four already as a as a college senior. He's twenty four, by the way, older than Troy Taylor. He is a full year older than Troy Taylor is. But if you remember the Troy Taylor arc of last season, he started the year in twenty twenty four in Everett, then went to Arkansas, then went to the big leagues. Hunter Crentton is going to start the year. I think in every right it's gonna Everett or Arkansas. It could be either, because he's gonna be twenty five this year and he's only a reliever. So there's no let me frame this, let me frame this correctly. There's not much development left. It's just is he good enough to get big leaguers out or not?
Speaker 2: If he has a good spring. Would you be shocked at all to see him just start in Arkansas?
Speaker 1: No, I wouldn't be me either. It's gonna be one of those two Troy had. Troy was good in twenty twenty three, but he wasn't twenty twenty four level good therefore, and he was younger, so more of a reason to put him in Everett Cranton. Though again, he's gonna be twenty five this year. Once you're twenty five and you're already just a reliever, it's sink or swim, and they're gonna That's why they're gonna put him in Arkansas. If they put him in Arkansas and he struggles a lot, then they'll know what they have. But this dude throws ninety nine, topping out at one hundred with his fastball, and then as a slider they fifty one rate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd say that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: I'd say that someone who could really help out the Mariner's bullpen, a bullpen that we have noted over and over and over again, has a big question mark over its head going into this season.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. That right there is the bread and butter of a dominant bullpen arm, especially in Seattle. Right hander, hard bastball slider that gets a bunch of swing and mess. That is a Mariner's reliever. What do they love? Right handers with good basketballs and good sliders. That's what that's Harner Crampton.
Speaker 1: And he's gonna be I would mention he's gonna be in camp among the longest of any of these guys. Oh yeah, which very much helps.
Speaker 2: Definitely. Are we ready for the highlighted headline breakout stars, let's do it. My pick for this our guy, Brandon Garcia, if you do not know the name yet, Brandon Garcia won Mariner's minor League Pitcher of the Year last year. He was a starter eleventh round pick. He was drafted out of Texas A and m started at Quinnipiac, but he comes into last year essentially an unknown. He goes out and between Everett and Arkansas puts up a two twenty five ERA for the year as a starter for the most part, but the Mariners have him as a reliever heading into spring at least for this year, they plan to throw Garcia out of the bullpen and see what he's got. And honestly, while Cranpton may take some more time, Brandon Garcia is a guy that, while it may be a bit of a long shot, could legitimately crack this roster out of spring training as a reliever. If he goes out and he dominates in spring training and he overpowers hitters, the Mariners may say, we've seen what we need to see from you as a reliever. You're going to Seattle. And if Brandon Garcia pitches out of a bullpen for the Mariners this year with this idea that he could be this dominant left handed arm who, by the way, could absolutely be stretched out out as a multi inning guy given his background as a starter, he breaks out, you keep talking about this bullpen that needs reinforcements. You get a left hander back there that's as tall and lanky as Brandon Garcia with a fastball that runs from the mid to upper nineties with three secondaries. That's a big arsenal for a relief pitcher. And if he does all that and it all clicks, the upside for this is I'm not gonna say Andrew Miller, but it's that idea, right. I'm not gonna put that type of lofty comp on Beiji just as a guy that is trying to make the club out of camp. But it is that idea of a multi inning left handed reliever with big stuff that gets a bunch of outs and that would be massively valuable.
Speaker 1: The versatility here is what makes this so exciting. I think back to last year, the idea the Mariners had for Logan Evans, our guy, Logan Evans, who again we're gonna hope to have him on the pod here soon, been communicating hopefully before the season starts. But remember Logan, they tried moving him to really last year during the season, didn't like what they saw and they moved They moved him out and kept him as a starter, in which she that's how he finished the season. I have a feeling, Lyle that they might still stretch out Brandon Garcia in the minors just as a normal starter, because Garcia and the Maritors in Garcia understand that his values at its highest when he starts, so they'll I feel like at this point they have an idea of how Garcia pitches in shorter stints, because that's what they had to do with him last year. Down towards the end of last year, he was on an innings limit and they started throwing him only three to four innings. Well, if he's going to be in the bullpen, maybe not three innings but two. As you mentioned, as more of a stretched out, long reliever, they've had an idea of how that stuff plays up in those shorter stints going into but going into the spring training, the idea of Brandon Garcia as a reliever is phenomenal. He's got the stuff. He's a lefty, and right now, the two lefties you have in this bullpen don't have the overpowering stuff Gabe at times. But Garcia throws ninety nine. Gabe does not throw ninety nine, and Gabe would tell you that he doesn't throw ninety nine. So just because you have that ability or brand and Garcia makes this so enticing, I still do feel like Dolile, they're going to buy the end of spring he's still going to be stretched out to about four innings. I feel like I feel like if they if they want him to, I think they feel like it would be better for his development if he kept throwing in longer stints, but they could still throw him in the bullpen if they wanted to.
Speaker 2: So let's make this clear. It was reported that they are looking at him as a true pen option for twenty twenty five. They made that clear. That's been reported out there. That being said, you just feel like that they may choose to go that route with him just in case he does not make the roster and then he's still got the ability to throw as a starter and maybe they use him in three inning spurts as a starter down in double A for when they eventually decide that it is his turn to be called upon and he'll be ready for it, rather than going from a reliever to a starter.
Speaker 1: Two points on this. First of all, I heard Divish on Pucks Podcast talking about he thinks that's what they're gonna do. So, like, when we trust Ryan Davish's information, So if he says that, I will, I'll believe it. The second point of it is, if you're trying to help him develop here in spring, why would you want to change what works?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So clarify when when Divis said that's what they're gonna do on Puck's Podcast.
Speaker 1: You mean they're gonna stretch them out.
Speaker 2: They're gonna stretch him out. Yeah, which makes sense because again it's it's much easier to go from starter to reliever than reliever to starter. So sure, he may be stretched out. He may throw as a starter during spring training because, like you said, that's where his value is still going to be the highest. Post twenty twenty five, he may still be a starter. We'll see how it all goes. We'll see what the rest of the prospects look like in terms of the pitchers. But if they feel like they need him in twenty twenty five out of the bullpen, I think you could see him out of the bullpen. But yes, he's gonna be an option, yes, and it makes sense to stretch him out as a starter. You might as well because you have the option. But if we are just looking now, getting back to the idea of a breakout candidate who could really make a difference for the Mariners this year, it's him, and it's him as a reliever. I would love to see Brandon Garcia get a chance to keep starting. I hope he does, but in this current rotation, there's just not a ton of window for opportunity. Considering these five starters are the best in baseball, but Brandon Garcia out of a bullpen, especially if he's going to be a multi inning guy, that is something you can dream on, because the Mirrors have not had a truly hard throwing dominant left handed like that in a long time. Again, Gabe and Sauce are a little bit different. Really good arms when they're at their best, but they're more finesse guys strike throwers. You know. Sauce gets ground balls. Gavee throws a ton of strikes. Garcia is somebody that can overpower guys in that bullpen, especially if he's gonna max out for an inning at a time, and you see that stuff play up, that's really exciting. Think about this. Imagine if Logan goes five and a third one day, Garcia comes in, he goes an inning and two thirds, pumping upper nineties, getting swings and misses, and that gets you through seven and then you get some combo of Brash Santos Munnos eight and nine. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: That would be pretty fun. There's just not many lefties like that in baseball, to be honest, No, it makes you more unicorn. Like we know, the Mariners love to have different looks up and down the roster. Brandon Garcia, by the way, very different look. If you're unfamiliar with his delivery, go check it out. It is. It's unique, especially for a lefty. If you're standing in that lefty batter's box, the ball starts out at you, which is very hard to pick up.
Speaker 2: Is it almost a little Garrett Crochet esque? Is that fair?
Speaker 1: The delivery a little bit? A little bit, It's definitely not over the top.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Again, this is why I'm not gonna put the idea of an Andrew millercomp on him, because it's just not fair. But it is that idea that I'm sure the Mariners are thinking about with again, hard throwing, tall lanky, left handed reliever who could go multiple innings.
Speaker 1: Now, let me again reframe the question, what does a Beg breakout look like.
Speaker 2: In spring training? Yeah, well, a lot of people haven't even really gotten to see him pitch. You've seen some highlights from the Mariner's Miners account and through social media. But if people get their eyes on him this spring, and similar to what we talked about with the relievers, number one, the stuff is up. But two, you're seeing him consistently show out and really miss bats over a multi inning stretch. That's what I call a breakout. Because, look, if Brandon Garcia is a one inning reliever, he's a one inning reliever, and if that's where he's his best, then great, use him in the way that it works best. But this idea of him being a multi inning guy. If he's going two three innings at a time in spring training in these games and he's putting up zeros and he's missing bats, that's what I call a breakout. Because if he's doing that, I think it's gonna get really really interesting with what they do with Brandon Garcia come Opening Day. In fact, there's probably gonna be some people in that org that are gonna be really excited about what he can or not. Probably, of course, if he goes out and pitches like that, there's gonna be people in that org that would be really excited about what he has the potential to do. And if that's the case, he's gonna make a real real push to get on that opening day roster, even if it's a long shot. If he dominates, that's gonna be a fun conversation to have with what you do with him?
Speaker 1: Ready for my breakout candidate, Yeah, surprise, it's Cole Young, whoa in case you couldn't tell by all the hints and essentially dead giveaways of what I was doing when talking about Ryan Bliss, my breakout candidate for the Mariners this spring training is Cole Young. And this seems almost too obvious because Cole Young almost certainly is going to be a Mariner by June. Mariners don't have any sort of solidity at second base. Cole Young is one of the Mariner's top prospects. He's a former first round pick, and he's been very successful up and down the Miners. That tells you that at some point he's going to be playing for the Mariners every single day or what you would hope. Maybe that won't be this year, but he's certainly going to play in some aspect, and I want that to start at spring training for Cole Young. I look at Cole Young and what he did at Arkansas this past year in a place that's really tough to hit, He's still put up a one nineteen WRC, plus he had twenty five doubles. He only struck out fifteen point eight percent of the time. I ask, I ask you, Lyle, looking at what Cole Young put up a two seventy one, three sixty nine three ninety slash line with that w orc plus I mentioned, is there anything left you feel like in the minor leagues for Cole Young? Like, what is it? Is it?
Speaker 2: The is it?
Speaker 1: Does he need to hit six more home runs?
Speaker 2: Is that it? I was gonna say, a little bit of power, additional power would be great to see. He's never gonna be a twenty five home run guy, but just a little bit more power paired with I think he could just still use some more at bats. He hasn't had that many at bats in the minor leagues. This is the guy that was drafted in twenty twenty one. He's really only had two full seasons after being an eighteen year old first rounder out of high school. So the Mariners say they're probably gonna start him in Triple A and to see what he could do against some essentially Quad A arms aka guys that have big league experience and have thrown plenty of innings up in the majors. To see what he can do against some guys like that, For a few weeks time and see how he handles it would be great. And also see that look while the pcls a bambox and we know that offensive numbers can get vastly inflated. I would be interested to see what his approach looks like against some of those guys too. Aka does the walk right stay up? There's a strikeout rates day down? Do his bats still look quality? I think seeing some of that for six to eight weeks would be pretty valuable for Cole Young and for the Mariners before making a decision on when his time has come to get called up.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking of a scenario here where Cole Young goes into spring training and he tears it up, and we get to the final week of spring training, he's still on still at big league camp, or let's say within the final two weeks of spring training that he's still in big league camp, he's still in the starting lineup, and he's having a ton of success. He's playing good defense, he's running the bases, he's doing all of this. And say he's one of the most valuable members of the entire Cactus League. And you sit there and you think, I feel like we have reached the twenty twenty one Jared Keelnick situation. At this point, here we have a hole at second base. Here, we have a top prospect who's playing against big leaguers and having an immense amount of success. There's gonna be a really tough, tough decision to make for Jerry to Poto in company on what to do with Cole Young, because I feel like there has not been a prospect that has pushed them to that Jared Kelnick twenty twenty one conversation, until we see Cole Young do it this year. Cole Emerson might be better, but he's not gonna hit his way onto the big league roster out of spring training. That's not happening. But Cole Young has that opportunity.
Speaker 2: To do so.
Speaker 1: There is one glaring thing that Cole needs to work on. Though. His performance against lefties is historically not been very good in the minors. He's played now three seasons of minor league baseball. He's yet to slug against lefties above three point fifteen.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: That's not great. Cole does get on bass versus lefties. He got a head a three fifty five on base versus his lefties in twenty twenty four in a three ninety four on base in twenty twenty three. But when you move up levels and lefties realize you can't hit against them, they're gonna stop throwing you balls. They're just gonna throw you strikes and know that you can't do much damage against it. Is Cole Young gonna be able to show that he can do damage against lefties this year. That's what I think the Mariners want to know. They want Cole Young to be able to play every day at this current rate. Based on what he's done in the minors against lefties, you don't have as much confidence he plays every single day and has enough impact to play every single day. You need to see those numbers come up a little bit, which is where Ryan Bliss comes in. Ryan Bliss could hit against those lefties and Cole Young could hit against those rights. But Cole Young's a first round pick. You want him to play every single day, hit fifteen home runs and have a one to ten WORC plus. That's what I think they're gonna want to see when he's in Triple A and he's facing former big leaguers who can land breaking balls in the strike zone. How was he going to handle that. That's why I think it is. It's an important spring for him, and I would welcome a breakout. I would welcome he faces lefties, he gets twenty Let's see, he gets fifteen to twenty at bats ER's his lefties in the spring and tears the cover off the ball. It would make me feel a lot better, all right.
Speaker 2: So there's a bunch to respond to with that. First off, I don't think. I don't know if Cole Young and Jared Keelnick are exactly perfect comps, because Kelnick was ahead of where Cole was in terms of his development as a prospect.
Speaker 1: He was higher rated, but both were on the doorstep of the big leagues at this point.
Speaker 2: Kelnick had a little more success in Double A than Cole probably has had so far. So that's bad. That's there's that portion of it. The other part of this is the Mariners, basically outside of Julio, do not rush their prospects. Julio was such a unicorn that they said, okay, what can we do? We have to put them on the big league roster. The Mariners, for the most part, take their time with most of their guys. You've seen it with yeah, well maybe not in the Jacks forensic era, but in the Depoto era they do.
Speaker 1: Did they not rush Jared Kilnt They did. The Mariners are right with kiln Nink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they still rushed him, but again they did not put him on the roster out in spring training. Rushed him, right, But look at everybody else they rush the capital a little bit kind I again, and especially with their high school prospects, they do not do it a lot. They don't rush those guys. So paired with that, paired with that, he still has to hit lefties a little bit better, which is the other big aspect of this Cole Young dilemma with what they do in spring training. That's why I think it would be Look, if he breaks out in spring training, it'd be awesome, but it's still hard to imagine a world where he is definitively on the roster come opening day of twenty twenty five. Oh and here's the other part of this you mentioned. They want him to play every day. Absolutely, they want Cole Young to play every day long term. In year one. They may not put that on him. They may be perfectly okay running out a platoon with him and either Demo and Bliss in year one of his big league tenure, and that's look, they want him to hit left these There's no doubt because again, long term, they envision him as their everyday second basement and I'm sure that's part of the reason they'll probably want him to have a little bit more development time come the minor league season of twenty twenty five. But in twenty twenty five specifically, I would assume they will ease him in by mostly showing him right handed pitching.
Speaker 1: If you want to pick one reason why Cole Young's got that opportunity though, to break out this spring. Is there any one of the other thirty nine non roster invites that's gonna play more than him.
Speaker 2: No, And to that point of yours about let's say he's in big league camp in the final week, I think he will be. I don't even think that's a hypothetical. I think he will be in big league camp until the very very end. They're gonna get him as much exposure in big league spring training as they possibly can. That doesn't mean he's gonna be on the roster come opening day, but I think they're gonna one. I think they're gonna tell him that he has the right to go out and earn that job in spring training, and that's what you should tell him. You want to motivate the guy. But I think you're gonna see him get plenty, plenty of IT bats in big league spring And yes, I do not think there's another non roster invite that will play more than Cole Young. No, he's gonna get a ton of time.
Speaker 1: Have you seen his zips projections?
Speaker 2: They're pretty good. I know two wins, which, like we've said, if Cole Young is a two wins second baseman every year of his career two to two and a half, that is a top ten second basement in baseball. I'm not saying that's an MVP winner. I'm not saying that's Jose al Tuob because it's not. But second base is a hard position to come by in terms of finding consistent success across the league. There's not that many great second basement And if Cole Jung's a two to two and a half win player every year, especially in year one, that is a guy who ranks in the seven to ten range of second basement in baseball. Maras have not had that in years, so If he does that, that would be awesome, and the profile backs up the chance for him to do that because again, good approach, Walks doesn't strike out, good defense, bats ball, that can be a two win guy. The lack of power probably makes it hard to be a five to win guy. But two to three win guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy for someone who's not going to even start to start the season in the big league roster. So once to see. But I'm excited for all of these guys to break out in spring training. And this is as guys are reporting to spring training, this is where the door of hope and optimism springs back in.
Speaker 2: See. Isn't it great?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 2: I was just sitting here thinking through this whole episode, it's like, no more John Stanton, no more Chris Larson talk, no more bullshit hypotheticals about off season hot stove transactions. Now we can just talk about actual players and actual baseball.
Speaker 1: We didn't even talk about Alex Spraegman signing with the Red Sox, which is our ultimate hypothetical.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, Tristan Costas not smart strategy. All right? Sorry, Sorry I broke the I broke it for a second. I broke character. Anyway, last question to you before we wrap this up, I'll ask the same question to you as you asked me about my guys. What does Cole Young have to do to qualify as a breakout.
Speaker 1: Twenty good at bats against lefties, looks good on defense, just looks like he belongs like He essentially needs to produce what he did in the miners last year, just at the big league level in spring training. I think of what he did at Arkansas totally fine as a big leaguer, I don't. I don't think there's there's it's you don't have to be too cute here with Cole Young. He needs to control the strike zone. He needs to walk a ton, he needs to not strike out a lot, because he's not gonna hit for the power. To make up for it, he's gonna need to get on base, which is his specialty. He's gonna have to look good at second base defensively and ultimately as they play him every single day during the spring, hope he holds up and make sure he looks like he belongs on that roster. That's what I want to see out of him. And then hey, maybe how about three of those Three of those at bats versus lefties, Go for go, go yard.
Speaker 2: Please three home runs versus lefties?
Speaker 1: Who why not show off?
Speaker 2: If he hits three home runs in the spring training period, I think that'd be great. A lot of guys don't hit three home runs total in the spring. Julio sometimes doesn't hit three homers in the spring. If he gets three against lefties, that'd be great.
Speaker 1: Well, he said, want to see power against lefties? There's no better way to show that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about this?
Speaker 1: In the simple answer, I want to see him look like he belongs on the roster.
Speaker 2: It's tough to put a number on it, but roughly, do you want to call it a seven eighty to seven ninety ops in the spring? Sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is about where he was this past year in double A.
Speaker 2: Right, that'd be great. I'm excited for all these guys. There are so many storylines that are that are gonna be really fun to follow as spring training really gets ramped up here and we're gonna be talking about it because baseball season's finally back, and like TJ said, there is real, real hope and optimism that you can take into the spring, and now it's the season for it, because now it's gonna be right in front of us with spring training really getting going here, so we can't wait. All right. I think that just about wraps up this edition of the Marine Layer Podcast. You guys know the drill. If you want to listen to the full form podcast, you can do so wherever you get your audio pods. Make sure to download, make sure to rate and review five stars please it helps us out a bunch or watch on YouTube, hit that subscribe button, drop a like, leave a comment, do all three? Why not? Only takes a minute, right, just a quick extra minute. On social media, you can follow us everywhere Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, YouTube, shorts at Marine Layer Pod and one final time with those reminders. Live show Thursday February twentieth, six pm Moss Bee, Haul and Kirkland. We hope to see you there and go check out our Patreon two. We're looking forward to really getting that, really getting that going underway. That's TJ. I'm Lyle. As always, we thank you guys for tuning in. We'll talk to you soon us