Speaker 1: Are you leave in I you wanna way back home?
Speaker 2: Either way, we want to be there. Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol and gay a. We want to send you off InStyle. We want to welcome you back home. Tell us all about it.
Speaker 1: We scared her? Was it fine?
Speaker 3: Now? Porn?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: Ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need.
Speaker 4: With Karen and Chris welcome to Do you need to ride? This is Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 1: And this is Karen kill Garraff. Hello Karen, Hello Chris.
Speaker 4: Before we introduce our guests, I just want to give a little background. He's like my older brother in comedy or bigger brother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, much larger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's much larger.
Speaker 4: And also if I he might correct me later. But I believe one of the reasons you and I started podcasting together is as Jimmy suggested you as a possible podcast partner, and so did Greg Barrent. And that was all the all the research I'd done, but two out of two people said Karen Kilgarriff. And then after a year I mustered up the courage to ask you because I was a shy, scared boy. And look at us now listen, this podcast is fifty percent responsible, or I mean, you know what I mean for hard guest today, mister Jimmy Parno, was that my intro? It was Yeah, it was shoddy.
Speaker 1: It almost didn't happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, real smokes. Yeah, not the best.
Speaker 5: I guess that's why I didn't know if I was supposed to jump in. Am I still waiting for the curtain to be open? So I walk out? Am I tripping over the curtain because I walked out too soon?
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 4: That's how I feel. Sometimes I'm never not funny. Not to just hold the mirror. I don't know when to jump in. Sometimes it's unclear.
Speaker 3: It's very clear you're welcome to jump in any time. And and I give a nice ramp up.
Speaker 5: I give a nice Please welcome a funny guy. We just watched his special. My son thinks it's the funny, especially seen in ages. Please welcome Chris Fairbanks. I give a nice build up. Not this stutter stammer crap. Yeah, well it's my signature. Stutter scammer. Hard to understand.
Speaker 4: That's why I got the big Bucks fair Banks brand.
Speaker 1: Jimmy, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good, I'm honored to be here. What I find funny about this, guys, and I mean funny, weird, not funny, haha, clownish is you guys have asked me to do your program before. It never worked out.
Speaker 5: Nobody was ever interested in coming to Baldoon Hills to pick me up, to bring me anywhere. So it took a pandemic and me sitting in my own home to be on a show that involves being in a vehicle.
Speaker 4: That's right, Well, the silver lining is right now, you're safe. You know a lot of these people were putting their lines in their hands. We almost killed Eddie Pepatone. I don't think he was looking out the right window, but he he almost perished at our hands.
Speaker 6: We've had a lot of near misses on this podcast, a lot of danger.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: When you said he was looking out the window, could he see past the saliva that was covering the glass?
Speaker 4: Is that minor? His I guess spits a lot, is my points? Eddie spitz lot when he speaks. That's what defense I've been I have been at. Say it, don't spray it kid from the beginning.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I thought you just meant that I have a very messy car, which I was like, that's true.
Speaker 3: No insult somebody that's here. I take. I take swipes of people that can't defend themselves. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's the part of way, that's the brand.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Karen did used to have dog saliva on her back windows sometimes.
Speaker 5: I did not know that, so there therefore, that's why Karen stared at me through the zoom lens as if Pardo was saying the most offensive thing in the world.
Speaker 3: And I was like, holy crap, is Pepatone right behind me? Why is that the Jimmy?
Speaker 6: That's just my eyebrows. That's the way pencil my eyebrows, and it always looks like that.
Speaker 1: Dos I pencil them?
Speaker 4: D It's very jimmy.
Speaker 3: What do you say, Chris?
Speaker 4: It's very common these days. I wish that when you put on those glasses there was a little uh groucho marks eyebrows on them.
Speaker 3: That is what I wanted.
Speaker 1: Those are her specialty eyebrow glasses.
Speaker 3: What if what if I put.
Speaker 5: Them on and they were those Chinese glasses that people used to think were funny to put on oh boy, the hair, the little Chinese eyes in there.
Speaker 3: And people would like wear them them.
Speaker 6: The zoom would automatically end because it's twenty twenty one and you cannot do it anymore.
Speaker 3: Anywoll Carol, Let me see yourr Let me see your brows. Please.
Speaker 4: They are nice house, they have it.
Speaker 6: They cut thanks. I have that happened natural. I'm not really buying this from you.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, they do. It's like little skepticism with the brow with a pencil brow. I think it was very nice. It looks very natural.
Speaker 5: I would not have known that you were penciling them in via the zoom.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know if if I get closer to you, and I don't know if Auberty is close that I would be so close.
Speaker 3: That I would know that it's pencil and not real hair. That would be very intimate.
Speaker 1: It's it's like I keep people at a distance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like another man's shoes and shawshank. You're never really looking at someone's eyebrows. You're making full eye contact.
Speaker 6: Unless every once in a while I'll buy the wrong color because in the kind of eyebrow powder that I use there really is. There's about fifteen choices, and I've definitely used too dark where everything else looks kind of natural, and my rows look sharp, beat on like.
Speaker 1: It's very disturbing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've gone the wrong way many times, so you kind of know. But I think the thing these days is everyone is so good at eyebrows these days. This is the thing both of you would never be interested in talking about. But eyebrows are a real high art these days.
Speaker 1: And I will.
Speaker 3: Tell you this.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, go ahead, Chris, No, No, I just want to say that it is the day for the man to pay attention to their eyebrows. I find when I let them mine go, I look like a college math professor. They curl, and the minute they touch my eyelid, I know it's time to pull out the groomer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have a hey.
Speaker 5: I'm always told whatever I'm on the whenever I when I used to do television shows, back when people gave a damn about me in my career, whenever they would do makeup, they would always say, in this particular eyebrow that I might I want to consider on my left eyebrow, consider getting a tattoo. My eyebrows tattooed on because I'm missing like a little part there of my eyebrow. So they suggested that so that it doesn't look penciled in when I am on camera, and I went, you know what, three times a.
Speaker 3: Year eight worth me getting a tattoo of eyebrows.
Speaker 6: Also, I would disagree or I would like to see I would love to see a camera test of that, because how is a tattoo looking better than the pencil?
Speaker 1: They are with you or she had lighton.
Speaker 3: She says that it would. I don't know the answer to that.
Speaker 1: So maybe it's just the way they do it.
Speaker 4: Technically, your first and only a tattoo would be a face tatt which is you know.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I have two tattoos, do you Yeah? I have a bright I got one on none of them and the other ones on your business.
Speaker 6: So that's so here and there is around your belly button and ankle, of course.
Speaker 5: I have a dolphin on my ale and a daisy on my belly bumbon. I have a on this arm, I nope, on this arm.
Speaker 3: I have a shark. On my right arm.
Speaker 5: I have a shark, and on my left arm, I have an anchor with Oliver's my son, Oliver's.
Speaker 3: Name on it. Oh, because he stabilizes me. See he's he keeps me, he keeps me stable.
Speaker 5: And it's a shark represent if I, if I knew, if I had a vocabulary, I would have said more, yes, yes, the shark is.
Speaker 3: I just I'm a big fan of sharks.
Speaker 5: I think they're they're neat and uh and I.
Speaker 3: As I jokingly always says, I love the sea. So that is the other Obviously, these would be the two tattoos Jimmy Parter would get. The other two would be never when I get tattoos. I had a little nervous breakdown when Oliver was born. Five weeks after he was born, I found myself getting a tattoo, thinking I had never done anything exciting with my life, and now I'm a father, I should do something.
Speaker 5: So I got a tattoo, and then when hey, that one seems lonely, I should get another tattoo.
Speaker 3: So that's why it's either that or a Corvette.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I couldn't afford that I could have worn a couple hundred bucks with some guy still smoking directly into my face while he put a tattoo on.
Speaker 6: I love the idea that a stand up comedian, like a lifelong stand up comedian that's been on TV and done all this stuff, you'd never done anything exciting with your life.
Speaker 1: What more do you want? Karen?
Speaker 3: Can I say? Can I tell you something?
Speaker 5: I have said this a thousand times, and you are the first person to understand how ridiculous it is that I think I've done nothing with Like, really, you lived out of your car, going across the country doing stand up at saloons.
Speaker 3: You did something, You did do daring things.
Speaker 6: It's the one thing most people say will say to you, I could never do what thing to do? I could never do that, could never stand up in front of five people and speak much less two hundred every night, new material, blah blah blah. Right, Yeah, but that's I think that's what we all do. Comedians never appreciate how hard comedy is because we can do it, so it's it doesn't feel as big of a deal.
Speaker 4: Yes, I feel like I I haven't lived life because I've never had a nine to five job, which is quite the opposite of what everyone wants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's exactly the opposite of what we were talking about. Yeah, yeah, but I get you're hey, can I can I shoehorn this in real fast one time?
Speaker 5: And this goes back to the eyebrows, and it was really the only time that I would This is the one hundred per cent of this is the first time I ever noted somebody's eyebrows. And now I can't stop looking at people's eyebrows. I was on a I was on a flight from Los Angeles to Dallas. I was on an American Airline. Salute that tail, it's got a flag on.
Speaker 3: It, and.
Speaker 5: I'm sitting next to somebody, and I don't recognize. At first, I don't recognize who that person is, and then I recognize that. I see that, I recognize that face, and now I recognize that face, and then I recognized that face.
Speaker 3: And then the woman who sat behind me.
Speaker 5: She and her daughter started talking to me because at the time, I had a UCB sweatshirt jacket on. And she said, I guess the younger kids call those hoodies.
Speaker 3: And sweater jacket. I call a sweater jacket.
Speaker 5: So she she says, hey, my daughter takes classes at the UCB, And I said, oh, oh, I started with those guys met and I started in Chicago. I started with all the guys that run the UCB. I started with them, do we stand up? And they're like, oh, you're standing And that woman turns out to be Charlene Tilton. TV showed Dallas and then I said, what are you doing? She goes, oh, we're going to a convention. It's a Dallas Reunion convention. I was like, that's where I recognize everybody. And so it then dawned to me that I'm literally the only person in first class.
Speaker 3: I was bumped up. I got points bumped up on points in the world.
Speaker 5: So I'm the only person in first class that was not a member of the Dallas cast. And I turned next to me to I, well, who's the guy next to me? And he turns to me and says hello and goes He raises his eyebrows up and down in a crazy manner, and it was Larry Hagman and his eyebrows though had their own plane ticket. That's how bananas his eyebrows were like. They were like.
Speaker 3: Nobody said, hey, Larry, cut those things like they were they were literally three inches off of his face.
Speaker 5: They were insane. Old man was he jr? Ewing that that actor that was major Healey from I Dream of Jeanie.
Speaker 4: I never I never made it past the opening sequence of the Dallas Skyline. I never watched a minute of that program was to me either.
Speaker 3: For me, it's so good.
Speaker 6: We get that was if we like were getting babysat or there was something happening where our parents weren't paying attention, you got to watch Dallas. So there was this extra thrill where you're just like, look at Bobby and what's her name? Talking to each other, like we would watch it as if it was the most wonderful, amazing show. And when I think I was probably eight years old or so, when the whole who shot Jr? The most brilliant like television publicity idea of all time, which is JR, who was like the big mean guy on the show, gets shot, no one knows who did it, and then there's it's like an entire season dedicated to figuring out on a show that's otherwise just a nighttime soap opera. It turned into like a crime procedural.
Speaker 5: We also spent the entire because it was a cliffhanger from one season to the next. And when I say we, I mean the country spent the entire summer talking about who shot JR. So Heark's point, like it got a morning radio talked about it, Evening radio talked about it, middays talked about overnights.
Speaker 3: Everybodys talking about in radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, different times.
Speaker 6: Back then it was there were four networks or three networks, so like we all were watching the same shows and talking about it. I mean it was like you kind of had no choice. But yeah, who shot Jr? Was a very big deal.
Speaker 3: I remember we were a Dynasty household. I go ahead. I'm sorry, I keep interacting. No, no zoom leg. I'm not being rude. It's the zoom leg.
Speaker 1: It's zoom.
Speaker 4: When I said, j are you ing, I thought, maybe, uh, oh, this is Dynasty. They are the same shows to me. I do not know the difference. One takes place in Texas, That's all I know.
Speaker 5: Like I said, we were a Dynasty house and I couldn't tell you where that was. Maybe New York, La is La.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh, we weren't allowed to watch Dynasty.
Speaker 3: Oh for some reason.
Speaker 1: That was like they drew the line. I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think all of it was against the rules, But like the one we would try to watch if we could was Dallas, And maybe it was because it was like a little country and there was kind of like that relatable like look at they have a ranch, whereas Dynasty was just like very fancy, rich people, you know, coming downstairs and yelling at each other and stuff.
Speaker 3: I got that was every episode, Every episode had some rich person using the stairs to full effect.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why I wasn't allowed to watch it. My parents did not ever want me to know. We were simply middle to.
Speaker 1: Lower class, like where are our stairs?
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you don't see it on TV, you think you're rich. I think only rich kids have their father make their toys out of wood for them, I'm rich.
Speaker 6: What was Jimmy at that time? What was your favorite? Like what was a point and TV for you? Was it Dallas or Dynasty?
Speaker 4: Or was there Dynasty?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean sitcoms? Was you know, Happy Days, Learn and Shirley, Welcome Back, Caught Her, Chico and the Man.
Speaker 3: There was one more of the way that we always talked about.
Speaker 5: And then of course TV and Started Life, Started Life. Stanford Somewhere was a little bit before that. We watched that reruns more than anything else. Yeah, wa TVs appreciation. Uh, and then the dramas were we would watch Love Boat Fantasy Island every Saturday.
Speaker 3: That would be me. That was that was that was no question appointment TV. To watch those two shows back to back.
Speaker 6: Fantasy Island was such a good idea for the whole like whole family, because we were watching like anything can happen, but it was always, of course adult stuff that would be happening. Do you remember the one where Barbie Benton I think it was Barbie Benton.
Speaker 1: She was fat and then.
Speaker 6: Her fantasy was that she would be thin, and so then she she was like basically in a fat suit in the beginning, and then she went running through the jungle and when she came back oach she had a revett and body.
Speaker 1: I think it was her.
Speaker 6: It was like that was one of those things I was like, well, this show is incredible, Like it to me was the most brilliant writing of all time.
Speaker 4: Except what about running through a jungle makes you drop that kind of weight? The humidity?
Speaker 3: Oh it's humidity, I think, Chris, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, just with one jungle run.
Speaker 1: She went to a magical part of the jungle.
Speaker 4: Oh gotcha, gotcha?
Speaker 5: She uh Karen, I guess you you kind of answer this what I'm curious. I don't think I understood what that Fantasy Island was adult stuff.
Speaker 3: I don't think I understood the the uh.
Speaker 5: The layers of Fantasy Island when I was a kid. I think I just liked, Hey, Sonny Bono is singing like I think it was like that aspect of it that I.
Speaker 1: Liked I was little, and the other guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the guy talks funny. Hey, speaking of Barbie Betten, I've been binging McLoud. That is, That's what I've I've already gone through Kojak and Colombo and all that, so I'm on to McLoud and Barbie Benton was recently playing. She was a country music singer on McLoud. And guess who can't sing?
Speaker 1: Herbie?
Speaker 3: Yeah, not very good singing.
Speaker 1: They were just letting her actually do the singing.
Speaker 5: She was doing the singing, And it must have been very hard to find an actual gorgeous woman in Los Angeles. They could sing at that time. Yeah, apparently.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they lesed to cast things just based on headshots. I think you never had to wish into a room singing dance. There's no dubbing had best date by ten Or.
Speaker 6: What if it was a thing where Barbie Benton wanted to go into music and this was her like some power agent was just like, you will cast her and she will sing it herself, and then that's what it turned out.
Speaker 5: What maybe that makes more sense because otherwise I don't understand why she was the choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too, that I'm wrong. She was on Broadway for seventeen years.
Speaker 6: It's just your personal tasty. You don't like her style sing, you know what?
Speaker 3: Yeh, the hell of mine? Maybe she has a wonderful recording career, it's just not your bag.
Speaker 6: The show that I love from that era and love to watch reruns of now it like it's so satisfying in so many ways, is hard to heart because they it's all the and I wonder if you saw the same thing. And I don't remember McCloud specifically, but back then, like late seventies early eighties TV, they did a lot.
Speaker 1: Of everything was real time.
Speaker 6: They wouldn't cut to like, hey, we're going to go to that We're going to go investigate that building. Then they'd show the people walking to their car, heading in, driving to the building, getting out, taking the elevator up. It was invensane and I think now I realized it.
Speaker 1: They were just.
Speaker 6: Killing time and then our long drama and they were it was kind of filler. But it's stuff that as I watch it, it makes like and hard to heart. They drive all over Los Angeles, so you can see like nineteen eighty Los Angeles in those episodes.
Speaker 1: It's the best.
Speaker 3: I love it, I was telling Dandiell. I was why I went through a that girl phase during the pandemic and I lasted about a season and a half and then I was like, I can't take the show any warry. But I loved it.
Speaker 5: But they like they literally would show Anne leave the shoot okay, I'll be right down, like somebody would say I'm at the front door, and they would or I'm leaving, and she would leave her apartment. They would show relieve apartment used to elevator go down and then wait out. They would show her waiting outside and then flagging the car down like kid, and then.
Speaker 3: The car driving away with her in it. All of that was included I and I loved it.
Speaker 4: Yes, I guess that is how I noticed that Dragon. I had to watch a bunch of old Dragnet episodes because we were doing that green screen thing where I get thrown in and then not only did they show the driving across town and the entering of buildings, it was part of the narration, like they'd say, four thirty eight pm, we drove to the building and went inside, and it shows there's like narration. If if it's not enough to just watch it, there's also a confirmation with narration.
Speaker 3: That's what you're seeing.
Speaker 1: What you're seeing is what's.
Speaker 4: Happening, and it's time stamped. Also for half that's half the episode.
Speaker 6: What was Remington Steele used to do that too, there's a Remington Steel was very much like we better go and take take a look and investigate. And then it would be a four minute scene of them driving to a place that was four minutes away from where they were.
Speaker 3: And that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Again, that's the same show It's Heart to Heart for Me, which one had Robert Wagner Hard to heart Okay, Pierce brad Yeah, he's a handsome guy.
Speaker 3: Huh, Jimmy, I will never use any excuse not to mention that when he was backstage when I worked at Conad O'Brian on a regular basis and I was in the green room and just watching the show on the monitor, and all of a sudden, next to me.
Speaker 5: I didn't, I didn't, I didn't see who it was, but I just felt stardom standing next to me. And then I turned to my left and out of his dressing room watching the show on monitor, and the monitor as well in the in the group green room was the most handed, some prettiest man I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like Corinthian Leather.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm not kidding. I've never seen a more handsome human being on this planet.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because he also has It's like the expression on his face constantly is pure confidence, you know what I mean. Like it's like he's kind of surveying the room, like who's good enough to be near me?
Speaker 1: No one in here like it.
Speaker 6: He has the you know, it's fascinating and I love having myself worked on a talk show. There really are these people that have it where like you can feel them coming. There's like when you're in the room with them, you're just like, holy shit, there they are, like you can feel them an aura of specialness.
Speaker 3: It's bananas.
Speaker 5: And by the way, to that point, what I very It was rare when somebody would come out of their dressing room to watch the show in the green room, and so it was.
Speaker 3: Always like, can you believe that?
Speaker 5: How don't earth that guy is so like you would never think Paris Brosna would be one of those guys. You would think he'd behind closed doors looking in a mirror. But he came out and joined in was talking like, I'm fascinated by that because I'm with you, like you just feel that stardom come at you. Yeah, but then there's others that you go, I don't get why you're the lead guest.
Speaker 1: All right, okay, all right, well okay, I.
Speaker 3: Guess we'll get through this. All right.
Speaker 4: I get that when I was been in the same room as John Hamm, who I think is your friend, and I had that same feeling. I'm like, I didn't know what to say. I was tongue tied, which I usually am anyway. But he yeah, he's got that look about him where I'm like, you can just smell the handsomeness coming off.
Speaker 3: Now listen, Chris is handsome.
Speaker 5: And by the way, let's make no mistake, Yes, John is my friend, but he is one of the most handsome men on the planet. Brosden wins. Yeah, yeah, Brosnen beats John Hamm. That's how handsome Pierce Brosnen is.
Speaker 1: You know what, because John ham could, You wouldn't want.
Speaker 6: To cast him as a regular guy, but if you had to, you could, like in those times times where his character on Madmen was, you know, super drunk and fucked up and whatever. You're like, oh yeah, it looks kind of rough. You can't do that to Pierce Brows good luck. You can mess his hair up a little bit, but the face is going to stay the same.
Speaker 3: They made his hair askew.
Speaker 4: I think for Matador, where he's like a washed up guy living in a hotel.
Speaker 1: Skill hanswer, that's a great movie. Yeah, Matador him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everyone write that down.
Speaker 1: Also, it's such a good one.
Speaker 4: Jimmy, you your interview with John Hamm with for your behind the scenes what was your conan behind the scenes interview show?
Speaker 3: The part of Patrol is that online.
Speaker 4: It's so funny and it was fun to see how funny John Hamm is because you don't know that he is a comedically trained he's legit hilaric.
Speaker 3: Right, Hey, well, I say thank you on both of our behalfs it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's great. Yeah, you're both you're good in it too. That's what I meant to say.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 4: And you call it the podcast and he's like, that's not what this is though, and then I.
Speaker 3: Said let's do it again. He's like, nope, because.
Speaker 4: My sister went to see you do stand up somewhere. I don't remember. You've met my sister Spokane?
Speaker 3: Was it Spokane?
Speaker 4: And I made her watch that interview first, and it's her favorite. She memorized it, makes references to it like it was a movie that is very funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, thank you very much. And it was a delight meeting your your sister.
Speaker 5: And I think she felt that she was taking up my time and that was not the case.
Speaker 3: Like was like, no, I welcome talking to somebody please. Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: She's always very careful and apologietic about but she'll yeah, she'll she'll talk to you. She's the best.
Speaker 3: But she didn't. I had to chase her down. I forced her into the back of the car to have a conversation with me.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, I remember she called me she said, joke one has he ever kidnapped someone before? And I'm like, he can't.
Speaker 1: Get in the trunk to have a conversation. It's very odd.
Speaker 3: I listen, it's quiet, you're not bothered by anybody. He has a light in my mouth. It's a muffled.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 5: Another time, I was at the Barnes and Noble at the Grove and I was checking out and then the other the other cashier said I'll take the next customer here, and Stardom came next to me. And it took me a second because this was years past his prime and it was Matt Dylan. And it was one of those times where I was like, not only understand when people say I discovered somebody at the soda shop, because if I was an agent, I would have gone up to that guy and went, I don't know who you are, but we're signing a contract today. Like it was, there was something magic happening with Matt Dylan buying a magazine.
Speaker 6: Matt Dylan is mine and my sister's like, you know, grammar school, like very early crush. He was in his prime when we were you know, twelve or whatever, and always loved him. My sister kind of loved him the most. I was more of a Scott Bao girl. He's well, those Italians. But Matt Dylan, I mean he was just like heart throbbed. He was undeniable. So cut to when I'm twenty and I'm in San Francisco working at the Gap and it's the end of like an eight hour shift and I'm over by the dressing rooms, folding down a bunch of sweaters and sweaty I haven't I put on makeup eight hours previous, you know.
Speaker 1: And it's the Gap. Nothing ever happened there.
Speaker 6: It was the one that's in the upper market where it's kind of like you're not in the Castro yet you're in this weird, you know, man's land. And it was just a you know, boring retail job. And we're sitting there and I look up and Matt Dylan walks in the store, and I swear to god, I was just like, how how Like I don't even get to brush my hair or have one moment of like a little bit of powder or something.
Speaker 1: And as I'm watching him, I'm I'm starstruck.
Speaker 6: I mean, it was like I felt him on the sidewalk coming through the door and he comes in.
Speaker 1: I probably have told the story Chris on this show before No No, which this is.
Speaker 6: It's one of my faves, because you in San Francisco, you would get famous people, like there are people who lived in the city, but it was like Alice Walker and Tracy Chapman, you know what I mean. It would be people who had been very We live in San Francisco, so it's maybe. I ran into Robin Williams one time at Green Apple Books. Literally was looking down at my feet as I was walking, looked up.
Speaker 1: And it was him, and he was like, excuse men. Gave me a smile.
Speaker 6: But other than that, there was no chance of a celebrity sighting in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: And it's fucking Matt Dillon.
Speaker 6: So it's he. It's just the most beautiful man. And as I'm watching him walk in, my friend Jason has spotted him from the back of the store and is running toward the cash register to be the one to help him. But our manager Corby was there first. And Corby was the best. He was so funny, he was really nice, but he was a little bit of like an airhead and you know what I mean, just kind of like not paying attention type of guy. And Mac Dylan walks up to Corby and goes, hey, man, can I use your phone? Some guys following me. I need to call a cab And Krby picks up the phone and puts on the Hunter and goes, that happens to me all the time. He had no idea it was not Dylan, and just like no, no, we both went up and just kind of like wiped the counterdown for no reason, just so we could be nearby.
Speaker 3: Like it was.
Speaker 1: We couldn't believe it. It was like a miracle.
Speaker 4: Why was Corby being followed around? Was he a famous gap manager?
Speaker 6: No? He was basically saying that because they were most of the guys that worked at that gap were gay, and basically it was just like some He just assumed it was another gay guy that was like some some drunk guy out of a bar. Was like being too pushy or something. Yeah, is that cruising mentality?
Speaker 3: It was a guy cruising.
Speaker 6: I think I had these I had people follow me too. Don't worry, You're not alone.
Speaker 4: It was like, you're not special, You're not special, beauty. Yes, was that the gap that was right by the punchline? Kind of? Was it in the Oh? No, that's where I know.
Speaker 6: That's the Ambarcadero, so we were we were way up market, out of even then, like if you were at the Umbarcadero, Like I one time went to the movie theater that was there when we were all up there for Sketch Fest, and I went to see the Amy Winehouse documentary and walked out and was like crying because it was so amazing and beautiful, and came around the corner and Pat Carney, the drummer for the.
Speaker 4: Jimmy you know that.
Speaker 3: No, that's it's drummer.
Speaker 6: So I don't know the Black Keys, thank you, Steven. Yes, the drummer for the Black Keys is just standing on the sidewalk, and I was just like, what the fuck, Like it was so shocking because it just kind of doesn't happen in San Francisco. But if it's going to happen, it would happen downtown, like you know what I mean, that's like where people go. The upper you know, like Upper Castros or the upper Upper Market area is just kind of out of.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's all over there, not an exciting spot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Karen, are you okay? You kind of lost interest in your own story there at.
Speaker 6: When I couldn't think of the name of the Black Keys, and I just started thinking, why do I Why am I still podcast?
Speaker 4: I was just I was thankful that it steered me away from my boring gap story. I was about to talk about underwear I bought and the the car I got. Oh great, now I'm telling the story.
Speaker 1: I just yourself out of it.
Speaker 4: I got a gap credit card and I didn't know what that meant, and it turned into debt. Anyway, I still have those underwear today, and I wear them out of out of revenge for that debt.
Speaker 3: That'll show them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that will show those underwear.
Speaker 3: That'll get them.
Speaker 5: I was just going to I was just gonna tell Chris, you could also use that credit card Banana Republic.
Speaker 6: That was it.
Speaker 3: That's all I was going to say. That's all I at the time.
Speaker 4: I think I knew that, and I love their slacks, so I would have I love the cure saying their slacks at the time.
Speaker 6: One of my favorite jokes when we worked on Zach califhan Akis's talk show, I believe it's called Up All Night or something like that or Friday Night. Uh. When this people from v H one, which is the network it was on, would come to like the executives would come to give us notes. Zach used to call them the bananas because they all wore Banana.
Speaker 1: Republic clothes, so you'd be like, the bananas are on their way.
Speaker 6: Anyway, I was just going to ask you, aside from these ones that we just talked about, do you have a do you have a favorite star sighting? Like not at work, where you would of course see stars, but like in the wild.
Speaker 5: You know, my very first one ever was I was out in it is what I was going to the I think it was when I was going to the American Academy for Medic Arts and I went to a movie theater and which is now closed on Pico. And I don't even remember why I was at that movie theater, but I came out of the bathroom and I thought of this, because of what you said about Robin Williams. I kind of wasn't paying any attention, and I turned the corner and my face went directly into this man's chest and it was Gary Busey, And so I turned the corner, smashed my face into Gary Busey's chest and then looked up and just went, I panted, and I went, I love you, and then I walked away.
Speaker 3: I didn't know what to do. And then so many many, many, many, many, many, many many many men, many.
Speaker 5: Many years later, I was going to see my doctor, doctor Joe Sugarman in Beverly Hills, Aaron O's Throat, guid to the Stars. Oh and Sugarman, everybody goes to the sweet, sweet Sugarman. Paul Stanley of Kissed, Everybody goes to him. Now, listen, here's the thing. So I'm turning the corner off of a little Santa Monica onto what whatever that street is, and I see a guy staring at there's a bronze statue of two kids flying a kite, you know, some sculpture, and there's a guy staring at it. And then he salutes it.
Speaker 3: And then he turns around and it's Gary Busey, and he goes he goes by right, gives a little all right, and salutes it, and then he looks at me. He goes beautiful in it. And I don't really know what he was.
Speaker 5: If he was saluting them flying a metal kite in the wind, if he liked the artistic approach, I don't know what he liked, but I liked that I got to see him saluting it.
Speaker 3: Did you see I still love you? Scary if I met There was a time back in nineteen eighty seven where I ran into you. You were hot off of the Buddy Holly story.
Speaker 4: Somewhere in between those sightings, he had a horrific motorcycle rack, and I think he became a different, perhaps might I say, strange person after that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was not the same guy that I ran into at the movie theater. There's no doubt about that rise.
Speaker 6: Although have you ever been caught in public doing a thing because you thought no one was around? I one time there used to be a bookstore in the Beverly Connection, and I was in there one night and saw a book that was I think it was some kind of a Menner from Mars Wimmer. There was like that mena for Mars women are from Venus trend that went crazy wher. It was just like man and women have nothing to do with each other, and they'll never understand each other, and you have to do these things and actually you all.
Speaker 1: Hate each other.
Speaker 6: And so there was some book I was reading the cover of and then I just started laughing and I kicked the book and it was just I was just by myself.
Speaker 1: And just was like fuck you. And right at the.
Speaker 6: Same time, this guy I knew Dave was coming around the corner and he started like I basically got caught doing something I thought. I was just by myself having a moment with this book, and he completely caught me being a complete weirdo.
Speaker 1: It was really embarrassing and funny.
Speaker 6: So sometimes that just happens when you're just like, hey, I salute good art, right and.
Speaker 5: You don't you don't know if some reason, well who cares good for Gary Busey for enjoying his life.
Speaker 3: That's what I say.
Speaker 1: Just do it, Just go for it.
Speaker 3: Just do it.
Speaker 4: Nike it up, Jimmy. How many times? There's two that stand out the mouse, but I opened for you in many a city and many some we had scary We did some scary gigs together.
Speaker 1: Road dog stories.
Speaker 3: Well there's Rooster t.
Speaker 4: Feathers where the guy there was a guy on a speakerphone or he had a bluetooth and he was having a full volume conversation where you could hear the other person. And then I said, don't you have a dogfight to be betting on? And then he waited, he waited in the parking lot and they wouldn't let us leave because he said, I'm going to kill that guy, and so I had to wait in the club with the night spent. But the time you and I did that bench sure, there is a New Year's show that we did at the Venture A comedy club, and I mean, do you want to take the reins on this story?
Speaker 3: I sure it?
Speaker 5: Uh and if I don't, if I don't nail this, please remind me. So it was Boris Hamilton was mc ing. Yeah, you were. You were the feature act, and I of course.
Speaker 3: Was headlining as I would from show business and yes, so, uh sense what at the time?
Speaker 1: Yes, so, Jimmy, you weird?
Speaker 5: No mis understood, I'm I'm closing it arc Yeah, yeah, he was a job what made it really bizarre? Okay, So we did a show the night before New Year's Eve, which I believe is on the thirtieth of December, and.
Speaker 3: We're uh and it went okay. The show went okay, but the owner of the club panicked and called all of us and uh what threatened to fire everybody.
Speaker 5: Told me I'm gonna fire everybody. I'm firing everybody. If you guys don't pick it up for you know you guys, they better have good first shows or they're or they're fired, and I'll find two other people open for you for the New Year show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, didn't he say he almost fired Boris at one point after the first that wasn't up to snuff. He's gone, wait a minute, it's one show, and he was.
Speaker 3: And by the way, it wasn't all that shitty. It was fine, it was fine. Yeah, well we were.
Speaker 5: We expect a lot more on MC's you can't you're a you're a tourist trap. So he he puts the fear of God in everybody that if it doesn't if the first show doesn't go well, you're all fired, and so like, yeah, exactly, like everybody's on their heels. So then the second show. So, by the way, first show goes great, nobody gets.
Speaker 3: Fired and uh he So the second show starts, Boris on stage. Uh, Chris goes up, and this guy and his wife are are bothering Chris. They're they're they're heckling Chris NonStop.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: A guy who looks like g Gordon Liddy is the best way to describe me. I actually remember him as the bare knuckle boxer, the bald guy with the curly mustache and Indiana Jones that he fights next to the airplane. To me, he looked like an old time a boxer where his knuckles at beat towards his face.
Speaker 3: He's the old guy, like the old the weightlifter guy who is like a cartoon. Yeah, we're with the wrong weights. And he's bald and he's got the mustache.
Speaker 4: Before the show, he was outside and he said, these motherfuckers better be funny. While he is outside tweaking and smoking menthols. Okay, yeah, continue.
Speaker 5: So so he and his lady friend are disrupting Chris, and Chris is dealing with it but also trying to do his act. And he also Chris is also going, well, I can't do everything I need to do because Pardo needs to go up next to so I don't. I can't sabotage the show by completely destroying this guy because that will ruin everybody's New Year's Eve.
Speaker 3: So, which is a professional thing to do.
Speaker 5: Other guys would go, hey, it's my time, and I got a fucking my men, there's still a show you got to do, and Chris, Chris knew that and so thank you I got up on stage and Chris did great.
Speaker 3: And then I get up there and the guy, I forget what he said to me, uh, and.
Speaker 4: He was on his phone and he said, oh, just watching some short mother smart ass, short smart ass. I think it was something like that.
Speaker 5: It was something like that. And then but and I lost. I just was like, you know what, I I'm not like the other guys. I'm not going to fucking tolerate your shit or something like that. And then he like, are you talking to me? But exactly I'm talking to you, and I'm now, of course, my heart is pounding like it's never been, you know, like like it's never pounded that hard, because like I'm about to die like this guy's so he stands up and like it's it's almost like a joke, like if it was Scooby Doo, his shadow would have attacked me.
Speaker 3: Like it was that huge of a man.
Speaker 4: He was huge, Yeah, he was. He was almost he was sick something and also four feet wide like he was. He was all buffed and huge, huge, So I did the thing. A comic out of the Midwest taught me this that if you ever think that somebody's coming at the stage, grabbed the mic stand because that's your that's your weapon, like that's you know, just hit him with the mic stand if they come at you and you're gonna win.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So yeah, And so.
Speaker 5: I'm holding that and then just and I'm and I'm holding the MIC's in, I'm talking and I'm trying not to engage with them at the same time, trying to diffuse it. And an ashtray whizzes past my head. No, I'm sure non ashtray a shot class wow, past my head and hits the woman sitting across the stage from that woman's see I.
Speaker 3: Do not remember that either. Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So then that woman says, hey, what the fuck or whatever, and I went, yeah, that's a little crazy, and then she throws something else at me, and then I forget what I said to them, Chris. But the guy then starts coming after me. Yeah right, and they so again here if I could interject, the entire part of the part of the ticket price that night was some kind of a fish dinner provided by a neighboring restaurant.
Speaker 4: Uh they didn't have enough fish. Only half the people got the meal. Uh they paid for. So they were hungry and they were angry half of them. So yeah, it was tense already. And so fishermen were wandering in covered with fish gills, yelling and they'd have to be ushered out. So already tense up to this moment.
Speaker 1: Geez, and I.
Speaker 6: Bet you that if you didn't get a fish dinner, they were like, you get one drink for free.
Speaker 5: Oh they had so yeah they yeah. So they're drunk now on exactly to make up for it. So he starts coming after me, and uh. These two guys who were there that two guys that were off duty policemen who were dating the waitresses. They were like, hey, we probably should get involved here since nobody in the club seems interested in stopping this. So they come over to stop it, and so they go to, uh, I forget what they did, like they went to like slowly get on.
Speaker 3: They like jump corned them out.
Speaker 4: I think they said, uh, we're gonna take you outside, sir, like in a gentlemanly way. I did also notice they both were wearing tap Out brand polo shirts, so they gotta dress up. Yeah, yeah, yeah, they were wearing Paulo. That's important.
Speaker 3: And by the way, Magan, they're the heroes in this story, these two guys are the heroes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so they they come over, but this guy's so big. They're kind of like hanging on his arms like that, Like that's how big this dude is. Like, they're trying to wrangle him down. And that guy's wife jumps on top, jumps on the back of one of these off duty cops, but he doesn't know who it is, so he turns around and punches the woman in the face, and.
Speaker 4: She flies into a giant Christmas tree, which then topples onto one of the tables this giant Christmas tree.
Speaker 3: Blood goes flying everywhere from this woman's nose. I remember the man bleeding. They both bled. Apparently they're both blood.
Speaker 6: But sorry, the person that got punched was the correct person.
Speaker 1: It was the woman from this office.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, the guy. The guy did feel bad. He's like, I never would have punched her and punched it if I knew it was her. I didn't know who it was. Somebody jumped on my back and I just instinctively remember that, turned around and punched it.
Speaker 6: No, if you jump on someone's back, if hands fly, that's what you signed up.
Speaker 4: And these two people the whole time they are sitting there. They were fidgeting and jiggling their legs in a way I think only can be provided by math.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were all methed up. There's no them that they were tweaking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because I was going to say sorry.
Speaker 6: Usually someone that's that big doesn't feel the need to flex that way. Usually big guys are underplaying it because they get so much attention.
Speaker 1: Of like, oh, what do you want to fight me or whatever.
Speaker 6: That's what surprised me is like it feels to me like those guys don't do that.
Speaker 3: That up.
Speaker 5: Well, I'll say this, Karen. I'm not defending him in any ways, ship or form. This guy ruined people's New Year's eves. But he, you know, he would say something and I would be me and be very funny and make him look stupid, and he wasn't going to tolerate that. So that's why he was flexing, because how dare this little piece of shit guy make you know, win this fight? And well, I know how I can win it. I will stand up and destroy this guy with one punch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, does he.
Speaker 1: Think it's gonna happen if he's on the phone and being.
Speaker 4: An appall him and gave him free tickets. That guy did not sign up to be there. They just showed up because they were out of rowdy powder, you know what I mean. Yeah, yeah, yeah, sure, I mean yeah, it's pretty clear, of course. You know what, sometimes I just sway that at the end. You know what I'm saying, Jimmy, Yeah you want to tell me? And what I'm saying, yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Got the r P.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I got it. They finally get these people out, Karen, and and then it's like twelve minutes left of the show, and I was like, so, I guess I continue, and some people one woman's like, nope, you're ruin our night, and I go, then scram, I don't need you here, and she left, and then some other people. Everybody else stayed, and it ended up being okay, right, Chris at the end.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you pulled it off. And I didn't think it was possible. This happened a quarter to midnight, and then it finally, after recognizing what had happened, you diffused it and we rang in the New Year, and it ended fine. But what I'm remembering is them choking this man out and he fell and hit his head on the stage and bloodshot out of his head at his heart rate. To you were on stage and you dodged his flying blood, you had to slam it. That was a traumatic thing and I think everyone there screamed. I don't think that's not something you see every day, as a man bleeding at his heart rate in a in a squirt gun like es and this is very great. I'm sorry, but it was crazy. Blood everywhere. These guys were professional MMA fighters. They were feeding them the knees.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 4: It was scary to watch. And I've you know, I know how much you love fights, Karen, watching people really do feed each other the boots these but this was a violent, scary one with people that And.
Speaker 3: Then these guys came in.
Speaker 4: They're like, we're sorry, everybody, we had to do something. They felt bad, and their jeans were covered in blood.
Speaker 3: They're la.
Speaker 4: And the fight kept happening. As he was ringing in the New Year, you could hear them yelling and s coupling outside and then the police. The police came an hour later or something.
Speaker 6: Did the audience that I know, the one lady was like, you run our New Year's whatever. But but once the guy was out of the those people were out of the room. Were you able to get.
Speaker 1: That audience back in any agent?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I got that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was pretty amazing. Like talk about legendary talking about it, yeah, talk about an obstacle.
Speaker 3: Uh you did it? Yeah? You know what.
Speaker 5: The other thing the woman said when she said, uh, you ruine a night, she said this was your fault.
Speaker 4: She blamed like, oh I remember, was this my fault?
Speaker 3: The guy's on the phone and then threw something at me. This isn't my fault at all.
Speaker 4: All these are harbor people. She was probably his cousin.
Speaker 1: It's your folk were on crystal meth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just awful.
Speaker 4: And then and the fisherman kept coming, these fishermen in yellow rain.
Speaker 3: Suits covered in shots.
Speaker 4: We want a beer full volume from Russia. There's a comedy concert happening, sir, please stop yelling in your fishy man voice.
Speaker 1: So big was this club?
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 1: Can you compare it to a club?
Speaker 6: I know?
Speaker 1: Like, is it? Was it smaller or bigger?
Speaker 3: What would you say, Chris?
Speaker 4: I think you could pack two hundred people into that two hundred Yeah.
Speaker 1: So like the improv with no curtain clo.
Speaker 3: You know what, the improv with no curtain closes a perfect shape and size and everything.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, Jesus, oh yes Christmas. That giant Christmas tree had no business being in a club that small. I think the tree committed suicide when it tove onto that table of people. Ornaments everywhere, glass into champagne glasses.
Speaker 6: Oh Jimmy, can you remember what your when you got were getting the audience back with the first joke you had, was like, no, what just happened?
Speaker 3: I'm sure it was just all that, you know.
Speaker 5: I do remember at one point while it was all happening, is like, so, I guess I just do play by play?
Speaker 3: What do I do now?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 3: I remember saying that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you As they were fighting, he was commentating the fight. Oh, they got him in some kind of I guess that's a choke hold war blood. It was going to be a great year and that you know, I'm in my tuxedo like an idiot.
Speaker 1: O splatters of blood on your tu It looked.
Speaker 3: Very nice on the white shirt costuming.
Speaker 4: Oh it was a horrifying sticks his head.
Speaker 1: Out and goes, no, I'm not the bad guy, am I?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, I seem pretty good.
Speaker 3: Don't Are you to come back tomorrow?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Of course?
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, the guy that was laying down the law during that fight, and he was a big fireman, mustached looking guy. He was hiding behind the front kiosk, pretending the fight wasn't happening. He was nowhere to be found. Jimmy's like, is there a police or someone that could be called? There's a fight happening, and the guys just neighbor and home improvement. He was so he was petrified, scary. Yeah, we have done some Uh, we've come a long way, Jimmy, Oh, we sure have. You know, we sure have those gigs anymore?
Speaker 1: Do you missicus? Do you miss the road?
Speaker 3: Sort of?
Speaker 5: I mean I miss you know what I mean? I miss meeting the people afterwards. I mean, that's sincerely. I miss that's the part of it that I miss. And I guess I missed the time on stage. I don't miss any of the other aspects of it at all at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Even last night I did a virtual show on a stage but with the zoom audience and afterwards there's a little hangout and it was by far my favorite part.
Speaker 3: Wait a second, So you're in a club and they're videotaping like you on stage at the club and then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a warehouse where they put in a stage and it looks like there's a brick wall and a cool like Edison Bull lamp and it looks beautifu. But yeah, no one in there. So you have to get used to firing off your jokes to just barely hearing laughter. But I'm I it's the only thing we can do right now, so I'm trying to enjoy it. But it is hard. It is hard to do.
Speaker 3: That sounds impossible, it's it's not.
Speaker 4: It is possible, but you have to forget what you know about how you usually depend on laughter to keep.
Speaker 1: You going and what you like.
Speaker 3: You have to forget what makes you and settle for the opposite.
Speaker 6: Well, because remember that show Ian Abramson used to do that show where you would do your you would do your.
Speaker 1: Act in like a in like.
Speaker 6: A sealed off room separately, so the audience would be laughing at you, but you couldn't hear, so you just had to keep going.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, that's yeah. Why did that happen and why did people say yes to do it? To do it?
Speaker 6: It was because it was basically like, here's worst case scenario comedy. So at like a comedy festival. You'd be at Bridgetown, but then you'd go do this crazy show where the audience knew how miserable you were and people were trying to do stuff, and it would just be like, like I remember it was when Drennan and I were doing songs, and we were doing these songs, we would like it would be over and then I would just be like that was bad, Like you just can't not kill that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did feel bad last night, and I think it went well and people enjoyed it, but I need to hear the laughs. I can't imagine doing it like that, like, oh, yeah, I'm doing a half hour and Joe Rogan's Deprivation Tank coming there. Oh God, to where you hear nothing. That would be so hard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But here's the irony of that is we've all done plenty of shows where there's a room full of people where we.
Speaker 3: Don't get a single laugh, right right.
Speaker 5: I just have this set when you bomb miserably, and somehow that feels better than doing it on zoom where you know that people are enjoying it but you can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how am I comfortable with when I know it's my fault entirely. I guess that just sucked tonight.
Speaker 1: There's something I do love when it's a when I'm bombing.
Speaker 6: It has to be very specific, though, because if it's a smaller room, like if it's if it's quiet, because the audience is small, and then I'm bombing, I suddenly become the most creative mind of all time because it's the one way I can go none of this matters. But if it's like slightly bigger and it's just like the things don't come when they're supposed to come, it's first I hate myself, but then I hate them ten times more, and it is I can't. I can't get around it, like I can't have fun with it. I'm always in such awe of the kind of people who can be eating it and still kind of staying on.
Speaker 1: That like this is fun and it's fine and who cares. I don't know how you do that.
Speaker 3: I don't either.
Speaker 4: For me, it's just a defense mechanism. When your back's against the wall like that and you're scared. That is how I used to get out of fights. That's how I mean. And Jimmy, you probably don't. You don't remember what you said during that horrible nineteen twenties bar fight. But you said funny things and you probably if they were just spilling out of your mouth because you thought you were about to die.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta get off the gems before while you can. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Really, that's one that it's like when people always say to me, you know, because I improvised my show so much, like do you record? You must record every night? Then remember what you said? It like, I don't record at all. But it's nice like that. It was like, damn it, they're right, I should be recording everything because this would be amazing to have documentation of Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was your version of the guy that hit the audience member with the guitar, except was no video of that.
Speaker 6: I wonder if you guys should call that club if it's still open, and see if they recorded it. Yeah, wouldn't that be amazing if there's just videos sitting somewhere.
Speaker 4: That they watch every Christmas telling a version of the same story and then that except their version was that guy was like half owner of the comedy club. The guy up front, he looked just like the own. They were both tall guys with mustaches. I think he was in on it. I think it was.
Speaker 3: He was a good guy by the way. He just he was. He was panicked about his business.
Speaker 4: Yea, all, hey all yeah, all people, remember, as you said, our jobs were on the line, he was going to fire us.
Speaker 3: That's true. Well true, as you and bores did suck.
Speaker 4: I knew it. I knew it was coming Roastmaster.
Speaker 6: The pressure he applied seemed to really work, because then you guys totally came back.
Speaker 1: You killed it.
Speaker 6: You did well that you built the tension high enough so that blood was spilled.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought, you man, literally sorry blood. I told you that.
Speaker 1: I just wanted it in my job.
Speaker 4: No, I just I was. I was nervous because I was like, oh, I'm going to blow it and then that'll be the end of my career. And Jimmy's not ever going to take me to another one of these violent chuckle buckets with him. But I do miss those where usually we had fun, and usually fun I learned a lot opening for Jimmy and the Maid.
Speaker 6: That was If you would say that was the worst show you guys did together, for sure, it was what was the best show that you did together?
Speaker 5: This is to me, it's the same show Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 3: I know. We had great shows at places.
Speaker 4: If something goes well, though, I'm like, yeah, that's how it should go, and I delete it from my memory. If it's horrifying and my life is on the line, goddamn right, I remember.
Speaker 3: It every day.
Speaker 4: I just remember the bad things and the good things. Yeah, that's how it should be.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: No, we had fun in Kirkland. You went with me about some of my first luggage.
Speaker 3: You brought a piece of luggage in the rain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that zipper blew out immediately it was raining. And then you kept every restaurant we went to. Jimmy always like my son is this is my son? He's new in town. He's a graphic artist. Is there any academy where he can learn? He likes to draw and paint specifically, like just to the waitress, and then i'd it was a challenge for me to then play along and be like, yes I am this is my father, and yes I'm going to art in school. Otherwise I would have Jimmy would have given it to me.
Speaker 3: I'm fun. That sounds fun to me.
Speaker 5: I sound fun you are, or I sound like the obnoxious comic who can't shut it off.
Speaker 3: That's either way. Either you can listen to that story and take it either way.
Speaker 1: Does it depend what mood you're in, how much sleep you've gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was fun, Karen.
Speaker 1: To be honestly, it sounds fun to me.
Speaker 3: I like stuff like that.
Speaker 4: I think your son, Oliver thinks you're fun, and uh, I do.
Speaker 3: I do think he thinks I'm fun.
Speaker 4: I think he's got Yeah, he likes comedy. I like that kid. He's he's also, Karen, interested in miniatures. He makes these dioramas dedicated to different TV shows. He's very creative and yeah, he just I've never met all of everybody. Seems like the sweetest kid ever, Karen. He made me a Mary Tyler Moore action figure for Christmas. That was my Christmas guest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, wait, how how old does he know?
Speaker 3: He's thirteen? And the truth that I kind of made the joke earlier.
Speaker 5: But the truth is, we watch Chris's special and it is Oliver's favorite stand up special.
Speaker 4: That we watched that's so great.
Speaker 3: He quotes it almost every day.
Speaker 5: And we've watched other We've watched great comics, and uh, and I love the fact. The truth is, I love the fact that he loves good comedy. And I don't have to pretend that somebody that sucks is good, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I don't have to no, no, no, no that you know, yeah, you know, I know that guy. He's a good guy. I don't have to do any of that. I get to go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Fair Makes is great, Nate Bargotzi is great, Tig is great. You know whatever specials we've watched. Yeah, Maria Bamford is great.
Speaker 3: Thank god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he gets it, Yeah, he does get it.
Speaker 6: It's between you and Danielle, though. I can't imagine it would be like almost like an Alex P. Keaton thing if he didn't know good.
Speaker 4: Right, he's just the tiniest little Republican in a suit talking about studying law. Yeah, he his favorite thing.
Speaker 3: This happens a couple of years ago. We read Toys r Us. They were still open, that's who all the story is.
Speaker 5: So he was much younger, and you know, I don't like scatological humor. I don't like poop poop peepee sort of stuff at all.
Speaker 3: I just I don't. I hate faart. I hate that word. It's just not part of me.
Speaker 5: And so we were looking at the games, at the board games, and one of them was, you know, flush the toilet, and then another one was who who shit the bed or whatever it's called. And then there's like all these games where it's like, you know, move your piece of poop around like it was, and.
Speaker 3: I literally section it was. I don't know, it was in the kids section. Kids find that funny apparently, so yeah, but I.
Speaker 5: Didn't realize that that that I said it out loud. I just kind of and I just went, what the fuck is going on? And Oliver laughed like crazy. He couldn't wait to get home until Danielle like, hey, we're in the we're in the game thing and Dad said this and it was the funniest thing in the world because it was like, seriously, what was going on?
Speaker 3: Why were all these games happening? Mom? It was the greatest.
Speaker 5: You must have been like nine or ten, even though like, but I couldn't even control my filthy mouth from coming out.
Speaker 1: But it is that thing.
Speaker 6: It feels like that's the kind of thing where there was a turn where for a long time it was like adults making games for kids that were, oh, this is you'll learn to count money or you'll learn to you know, the game of life where you put little things in your car and you'll make the decisions or whatever and they're actually yeah or whatever the fuck you know, or you'll just learn to count or how cards work or whatever. But then that turn of like we're just going to market to the lowest common denominator and just try to make money off of the like what the first thing a third grader thinks of, Yeah, it's just so cynical and like such a bummer to see that.
Speaker 1: It's just obviously what that is.
Speaker 5: That's what that was, and that's what it was. It was like a guttural reaction of saying everything you just said. Articularly I just thought, it's just go, what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 3: Like that? Just beaten down by it like that.
Speaker 4: That's where we're at. Okay, great, Yeah, I'm surprised. I mean you U have to go behind a curtain that shows topless greeting cards at Spencer Gifts to fight for specific games.
Speaker 3: Right toilet ring toss, and it's just so awful.
Speaker 6: You know, when you you can get the new iPods, know I the earbuds.
Speaker 1: Yes, I never called them right name, and I'm.
Speaker 4: Not to call iPads and I always will.
Speaker 6: Yeah, But basically you can get the case that they now come in personalized, so you can get your initials, you can get something award written, and you can also put any emoji on there. And I was looking like, oh, this is kind of cool whatever, and then the ship emoji.
Speaker 1: Is one of the options.
Speaker 6: I was like, do that, Like, what kind of low self esteem must you where You're just like, you know, it's my it's my iPad, but you know.
Speaker 1: Put some ship on there too.
Speaker 3: They think it's the funniest thing. Put a gun in your mouth, Jesus.
Speaker 4: Worst, the worst.
Speaker 1: He just leaves.
Speaker 4: We slap our our laptop shut if there's silence.
Speaker 6: Jimmy, I keep seeing someone made a gift of you and I talking when I think it was when I was on Never Not Funny last time when you said you people from Largo were assholes and I was like, you weren't you weren't a dream yourself or something laughing?
Speaker 1: Do you remember that?
Speaker 3: I don't at all.
Speaker 1: Somebody made a gift of it.
Speaker 6: And I was looking at the other day and it's so funny because the words at the bottom are really mean, and we're both laughing and just.
Speaker 1: Like, this is so what it's like to be a comedian.
Speaker 6: We're just like, if you just saw the words, you'd think we were completely like confronting each other, like we're on a reality show together, and instead we're just both laughing, just being like, you're a prick.
Speaker 1: Well you were an asshole too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: When I first met you, I didn't know just how sarcastic you were. I was only impressed that you came to Cap City in Austin once a year and you remembered my name and that I was from Montana. But then you started making fun of me, and I totally thought you were serious. And then you walked away and you were shaking your head, and like ten minutes later you came over and he said, you know, I'm kidding, right that that's what I do. I go to the ultimate end of what you can do with sarcasm, and uh, that's what I just did. And I'm like, oh, okay, I'll get it from now on.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: See, it's fun just I have I think it's always best when you have to explain that you just had a good time, right, that's the best comedy. Karen is your camera somehow getting more vasolene on it as this show goes on.
Speaker 1: Probably oh this, yeah, that's it. That's it.
Speaker 3: It's looking more more civil Shepherdy as we go. Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: Wait good or bad?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 3: Bad?
Speaker 6: It's the sun is going down, so I'm facing I literally face like the sunset direction.
Speaker 1: So here it as it goes down.
Speaker 6: Yes, I basically start to disappear the darkness of the room.
Speaker 4: It did look exactly like a romantic dream sequence from Moonlighting.
Speaker 3: You are very much.
Speaker 1: It could just be my beauty.
Speaker 3: Well, that's always on the table, Kara. Nobody's dismissing that.
Speaker 1: It's ability.
Speaker 4: Let's lord, it's your dog's bit. It's not saliva again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just have the dog come up and lick the camera right before every zoom.
Speaker 4: Hey, you gotta clean it somehow clean that lens, doggy.
Speaker 3: I'm glad, glad you brought back that callback of me insulting Eddy Pepatone for no reason whatsoever. Thanks for bringing that back.
Speaker 1: Christ Everyone can take it. Everyone can take it.
Speaker 6: That's our love language hatred, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Eddie Pepperton knows you love him, and I do love Eddi Peppatone.
Speaker 5: I see Eddie Pepatone every year. I didn't see him this year because of the pandemic, but every year we Janieith Wilson. Wilson puts together a little thing for the the women shelters. She puts together at Christmas a party for them. Sure, Eddie, my wife volunteers. Eddi Pepatone volunteers.
Speaker 3: I show up and shake some hands and the kids get a nice charge out of me when I shows up.
Speaker 5: Hey, it's the guy from the Game show from two thousand and five. That's great, take a nice charge.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 4: Oh, Merry Christmas. Children and I see every year, and he's great. I haven't seen him in many years. I haven't seen anyone in a while.
Speaker 3: But uh, Chris, Chris word of pandemic. Nobody sees anybody.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's specific to me when I think about the situation I'm in. He's a little different. You know, I don't have roommates. My apartment is up on a hill. I did there's no one passing by.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, Matt Dylan never happens into your apartment.
Speaker 4: If I did, I'd kiss faces with him and say I love him the butt heads and then say I love him.
Speaker 1: Jimmy, do you have anything to plug or do you want to talk about upcoming events in your life that you would like people to attend.
Speaker 5: Oh, well, of course I got the ord WINNI podcast Never not Funny that we enjoy of course having both of you on fan Favorites. And I do a thing on YouTube called Jimmy's Records and Tapes that it's at YouTube dot com, slash number not funny that it's me talking this season, it's my five favorite of a certain topic, be it, you know, my five favorite prog rock songs, my five favorite.
Speaker 3: Horn songs, so on and so forth. But you're not coming to it for musical expertise. You're coming to watch me via jackass talking about music.
Speaker 4: Yeah, topic doesn't matter, but you are.
Speaker 6: You are a musical expert because I did back when Julian McCullough used to do Julian Love's music. I did that with you a couple times and you pulled out some esoteric information that was so mind blowing. Like a couple of times we played games and you had like you listed things by year, where I was just like, what is going on?
Speaker 1: Like you really do know your stuff.
Speaker 3: I know I know what I know.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 5: But if you start talking about the Black Keys and saying that you saw the drummer.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I couldn't even pick a song of theirs, Like if you started playing it, I would go, who's that?
Speaker 5: I wouldn't have a clue. But what I know, I know all of it. I'm in okay, yeah, yeah, I'm in got it. I'm also doing a live thank you ver ask Karen and I only bring this up I think it's February seventeenth. I'm doing a Nope wrong about that dates February nineteenth at Flapperscomedy dot com. I've been doing these monthly shows where I figured out a way to do virtual crowd work and I'm doing it where I interview the people and like the producer in the showroom find it just picks anybody at random. I interview that person and then I asked that. I say, hey, what story or bit would you like to hear from my act? And I'll do it and if it's like an old thing, I kind of find my way through it and maybe mangle it which is funny, or I nail it and that's funny. So those have been a lot of fun So come out buy for that. If that interests you in any way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that one time Karen and I did that with Greg Barrett where we assigned each other bits that we remembered from the other person and we had to do them in a live at that live podcast.
Speaker 3: Fine, right, it was so yes, it was, you know, it's it's amazing that you say that. Christ.
Speaker 5: Going back to the live setting, I worked with Pam Stone. Remember Pam Stone, very funny, talk tall, but she's very tall because I'm five foot four, everybody's tall.
Speaker 3: She was on coach. She was very funny and she.
Speaker 5: It just makes me think of them camaraderie that at one point some comics used to have and maybe they still have it, and I just don't, not with the right people anymore, but like give each other words to say on stage or hey, hey, I dare you to do that bit that always bombed. And so I was working with I was working with Pam Stone, and she told me to say, uh what did she I don't remember what words she told me to say, but I thought she told me to say C O N T.
Speaker 3: That's what I thought she told me to say. And so I figure out a way to say it on stage, and then I come off, and she goes, what the fuck is the matter with you? Why don't you say that word? I go, you told you doubt me to and she's like, no, I told you to say dixie Cup. Like I don't know what I thought you said, but I loved I love that ship. So I would love to do a show with you guys where we do that, where we try to find a way to.
Speaker 4: Hope it was and I hope you in your act you said dixie content at some point it paints a very Southern picture.
Speaker 5: I love it well. She is from the South, So there's a good point that she made. I think she said to say that word and then backpedaled when the audiences care for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's like I would never.
Speaker 3: You, sir, Yeah, that that would be r.
Speaker 6: At this point, it would be a dream to do a night of comedy with you guys, Oh my gosh, as someone who like I was trying to get back into it and then I just didn't like it and I wouldn't work on it, and blah blah blah. And at this point, a year, a year into this fucking quarantine, I would try my best.
Speaker 1: I would write any things I would.
Speaker 6: I would do everything I could to do in a night of comedy with my friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would be wonderful when we do it.
Speaker 4: We have to give each other assignments. I like that idea here it is, yeah, yes, for sure. Well, if you haven't heard Jimmy Pardos podcast Never Not Funny, it is I think the first podcast that I ever knew about, and certainly the first one I was ever a guest on. And uh yeah, I've learned a lot from Jimmy and he's great. And you just heard how funny he is.
Speaker 3: So uh oh.
Speaker 4: This is a conclusionary statement, and I think a pretty good one.
Speaker 3: Pretty good. I ramped down.
Speaker 1: Nice, You're definitely warming it down.
Speaker 4: That's yeah. You gotta cool off a lot of people if you just abruptly end, they pull a hammy or something, they pull up rustle in their leg.
Speaker 3: You can't he got cool.
Speaker 1: Down, Jimmy, thank you so much for doing I am.
Speaker 5: Honored, honest to god. I'm so great to see you guys, my friends. It was great to see you, and as being part of the show was great to see you. So thank you, thank you, and say hello come back.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, say hello to Danielle and Oliver please, yes, of course you've been listening to Do you need a ride?
Speaker 3: D y n A R? Are you leaving? I?
Speaker 2: You wanna way back home? Either way we want to be there. Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a turmano and gage.
Speaker 1: We want to send you.
Speaker 2: Off instead, we want to welcome you back home.
Speaker 6: Tell us all about ity scared her?
Speaker 1: Was it fine?
Speaker 6: Malborn?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need.
Speaker 4: With Karen and chriss
Speaker 6: M h