Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at some of the stocks on the move. I'm Paul swinging alongside Isabelle Lee. One of my companies I used to cover, the Walt Disney Company, making Mouse. That reported some numbers, better than expected numbers, so of course stocks them. So. The Walt Disney Company reported better than expected third quarter earnings, with continued growth at its parks and streaming business overshadowing a tough climate for movies and traditional TV. Let's break it down with Keitha Rung andough that she covers all the media stuff for Bloomberg Intelligence. Githa's it seemed to me like, on the surface, a pretty good quarter for Disney. What's the street a little concerned about?
Speaker 4: Yeah, really good quarter for Disney. Paul, the beaten raise for sure, you know, expectations might have been, you know, slightly high, and the fact that they didn't necessarily give us any specific guide for fiscal twenty twenty six. They did point to a raised guidance for EPs growth for fiscal twenty twenty five eighteen percent now instead of sixteen percent. But they didn't necessarily give us anything specific for fiscal twenty twenty six. That could be a slight source of disappointment. Other than that, the only other thing that I think might be causing this reaction is that they did say that they will stop disclosing Disney Plus subscriber numbers. But again, this is not something totally unexpected. I mean, Netflix has stopped doing this. We're seeing this kind of move away from just subscriber numbers to a greater focus and profitability.
Speaker 1: I want to zero in on parks because I'm still scarred by how expensive it was when I visited a couple of years ago as an adult. But how sustainable is there strong parks performance given the divergent domestic and international performance.
Speaker 4: Very sustainable, Isabell. So you know, we saw domestic parks, and I say that because you know, domestic parks actually coming into this year, coming into this quarter, there were a lot of worries, one of course, about the general macroeconomic environment, but the bigger source of worry was really the opening of Epic Universe, which is, you know, Universal's big Florida Theme parket traction. But the fact that it had absolutely no impact at all, or very very modest impact, if at all, is really amazing, and it just kind of speaks to the resilience in Disney's business model. They reported again, very very strong per capita growth, you know, in terms of food and beverages, in terms of concessions, so all of that doing really well. And the reason I'm so positive about this business going forward. First of all, it contributes about fifty five to sixty percent of Disney's profits, are really really important to their top line, to their bottom line. Definitely, they have a lot of upcoming capacity, So the biggest source of expansion over the next few months is really going to be their cruise ships. They're launching two new cruise ships, their biggest ever actually, which is going to come on board in November and December. One of them sets sail from Asia, and that basically takes the number of cruise ships to eight cruise ships, effectively kind of doubling their capacity in a span of just two to three years. So that is going to really buoy you know, both top line and bottom line going into twenty twenty six. And then beyond that, you really have this huge sixty billion capital expansion plan that is really going to play out over the next five to ten years. So we're going to see a lot more attractions all over the world. We're going to see that new Abu Dhabi park come out. So there is really a lot of you know, a sustained momentum that we can expect at the park's going forward.
Speaker 3: Eitha talk to us about that deal they just made with the NFL. It seems like a really positive development for the company.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really good. I think from a Disney from an ESPN standpoint that they're so closely aligned now with the NFL. I mean, the NFL is absolutely the premium property, the gold standard, Paul. You know this well when it comes to you know, sports properties in the in the US. And the fact now that they're going to be able to use all of this content for their upcoming ESPN streaming launch, I mean that itself just kind of give gives it a tremendous boost, I think even before you know it come on board. So it's great for the product. It's also great from a strategic standpoint because the NFL is obviously one of the most important sports properties, and this really gives them access or it at least definitely gives them a little bit of an advantageous position compared to let's say, an Amazon or a Netflix or an Apple if they want to ever outbid you know, the current media partners. So definitely, I think a strategically, very very sound move on the part of Disney.
Speaker 1: So it seems like we had a good quarter. Runway for growth is really just long and wide. What downside risks remain then, especially around the macro uncertainty and tiriff exposure.
Speaker 4: Do you see, Yeah, maybe a little bit of execution risks. So we still really don't know how this whole. I mean, obviously everybody is very excited for the ESPN product launch, but we still don't know how exactly that's going to play out. Again, a huge source of upside is going to be the streaming business. Everybody's expecting huge cost savings when it comes to the integration of Hulu and Disney Plus. But again, execution is a little bit of a risk. And then you pointed out you know macro factors. Remember, Disney still obviously has huge exposure because of its parks business and anytime we see kind of a slowdown in the economy. We do feel that in the parks as well. And of course advertising also, so you know, they do have a substantial exposure to advertising because of their TV network's business. So there again we can see a little bit of an impact. But overall, as it stands right now, the business seems to be in really good shape all right here.
Speaker 3: The problem childs though, are the broadcast networks and the cable networks. What you know, just because of cord cutting, that they're just declining businesses. What's the company saying that, what we're going to do with those businesses.
Speaker 4: They haven't said anything explicitly, Paul. So a few years ago, you know, this idea was floated that maybe they kind of spin off ABC, their broadcast network, maybe they spin off their linear cable channels, all of that. You know, noise is kind of quietened down. You know. Barbiger basically said, no, no, no, we need these businesses. They're all kind of integral to the whole Disney story. So we haven't heard anything recently that being said. Just this whole deal with the NFL and the NFL kind of day an equity stake. It almost seems like they are prepping for ESPN to kind of ESPN and maybe ABC to kind of coast solo. Remember, Bob Eiger only has a few more months left, so the end of twenty twenty six he leaves Disney, or at least that's what he says. Yeah, we think, and I really think he kind of wants to get this deal done so to separate ESPN because it's not really core to the rest of the Disney properties. But again it's a little bit of a wait and watch, but nothing explicitly, you know, stated from Disney management about what they want to do with the linear piece of the business.
Speaker 1: So ESPN is getting a fresh spin with an August twenty one launch. It will be thirty dollars a month for the new streaming up. What do you make of that price you think people will pay up for it? Or is that steep?
Speaker 4: It's a high price point, There's no doubt about it. I think most people were kind of expecting somewhere in the twenty three to twenty five dollars range. That said, what you know, we just ran a survey actually at Bloomberg Intelligence, and what we found is that there's actually a lot of interest in this product, so we think that the update will be fairly strong, and the update not so much as a standalone product, but when you bundle it with Disney Plus and Hulu, so they are running a pretty attractive promotion. So for the first year, you can get Disney Plus, Hulu and ESPN at a thirty to thirty dollars price point, which which seems like really good value. So I think we're going to see a lot of people come in initially through the bundles at least.
Speaker 3: All right, great stuff as always, Keitha, thank you so much for chatting with Uskeitha Ranganath, and she's the media analyst. The media anamals the Bloomberg Intelligence covering all those fun companies in the media space. And Disney again, pretty good quarter, maybe not quite up to expectations at mickey Mouse.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay, and write auto with the Bloomberg Business app. MM hmm.