Speaker 1: Google Assistant is going away. I'll tell you what's replacing it. Smartwatch sales are dropping, but there's one big exception. At and T is bringing back landlines with a modern twist. Plus your tech questions answered. What's going on on richdmiro and this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology, you need a recommendation, you're looking for a website or an app, it's all there. Eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Email is also an option. You can just go to the website. Rich on tech dot tv, hit contact rich on tech dot tv, hit contact guests. This week, we've got kimber Streams. They've been covering laptops and tech at Wirecutter for over a decade and is going to share expert tips on how to spring clean your PC and keep it running smoothly, don't buy a new one, just clean out the old one. And later, Jared Newman of Advisorator writes a very good newsletter. He's going to join the show to discuss the best ad blocker alternatives now that a popular one is out, plus how to stop those annoying sign in with Google pop ups, and he'll talk about his quest for the perfect web browser. I should talk about my quest for the perfect note taking app. I'm sure we'll have something to say about that.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: This week one of my favorite programs on Mac made its way to Windows, and it makes transcription so much easier, makes voice to text a lot easier. So I figured i'd talk about some of the ways that you can use AI and transcribing voice to text to your advantage.
Speaker 2: So it used to be.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you've heard of programs like Dragon Naturally speaking stuff like that. Voice to text has always been a thing, right, I mean, your phone has it, your computer has it, but it has only worked just so well now that AI is integrated into all of these transcription programs, it has never been easier to not only record things and transcribe them and summarize them, but also voice to text has gotten a lot better. So of course if you want to record something like a meeting, your phone can do it. Pixel has a great recorder app built in, Samsung has a voice recorder app built in, and then iOS of course has voice memos built in.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Pixel Recorder was always built with AI and search in it, so you've been able to do that for a long time. Ever since the Pixel Recorder app came out, Samsung and iOS they've always had a voice recorder functionality, but it just recently got that AI upgrade where now it can transcribe what you say or what it's hearing, and then of course summarize that as well. So Pixel is the only one that does this in real time. And so when I go to any sort of tech event, I pull out the Pixel smartphone and I sit it there and I can see what the person's saying on stage. So if I miss something, I can quickly go back to the transcription. It's almost like close capturing in real time, and I can see what the person said. So if they're like, oh, this is our seventy fourth computer, I said, wait, how many did they say?
Speaker 2: They did, oh, seventy four. So it's in real time.
Speaker 1: The other ones Samsung and iOS are not in real time, but they can all make a summary with bullet points. But you can also do it after the fact with any audio recording. So even if you just have a recording of audio, maybe your phone doesn't support the AI transcriptions just yet, maybe you have an older model, older software. You can take any audio recording, toss it into your computer and it will transcribe.
Speaker 2: And these are all free.
Speaker 1: So on Mac I like an app called mac Whisper, and this is sort of my secret weapon. I take all my interviews, I toss them into mac Whisper and it transcribes them. Now I will tell you depending on how fast your computer is, some transcriptions take longer than others, but most of the time it's pretty quick. If you have like a pro, like a MacBook Pro, they're going to be very very fast. I notice when I switch to the standard MacBook Air not as fast for the transcriptions. But still it's free and you can choose from the models they use. So if you want to use claud, you can use that. If you want to use open Ai, you can use that. So just you can choose sort of the model it uses to transcribe. Now for PC there's an app called Vibe Transcribe. So this is an open source app, Vibe Transcribe, and you download it for your Windows computer. Again, just toss in an audio file and this works on Mac as well. Toss in an audio file and it will transcribe.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 1: Tested it today and it worked like a charm. Then if you just want something on the web, if you don't want to download something, there's a web app called Whisper Web and this is machine learning powered speech recognition right in your browser, so you can record a file right there. You can use a URL, or you can drop in an audio file and it will transcribe those all for free, by the way, and by the way, these transcriptions are very accurate because of AI, but they're not always perfect. So if you're looking for perfection, you may have to It may take longer for the transcription because it has to listen more closely, or it has to do a little bit more analyzing, and that's what takes longer to make those better transcriptions. But most of the time I find that even on the fast setting, they're pretty good. Now, once you have that transcription, you can take that and toss it into AI and get the key takeaways or the main points. Or you can even go back and forth and ask about what was said in that briefing, that meeting, whatever it is that you're recording. So think about almost programming AI. So you take what the transcription does, you can toss it into something like a chat GBT and then have a back and forth like you're literally now talking to chat GPT about the conversation or the meeting or whatever you recorded. Hey, what did they say about you know, the projections for twenty twenty six? What are they looking like? And it will give you that information. I mean, it's really really cool how you.
Speaker 2: Can do this stuff.
Speaker 1: So I always when my kids school sends out like their zoom sort of school meeting, I will take that zoom, I'll download it, I'll transcribe it, I'll get the key points from AI, and then I'll paste that back into the school's bulletin board and I'm like, hey, here's this, here's the notes, because who wants to sit through two hours of a parent meeting that, you know, but if you can read the bullet points and see, oh the fundraisers coming up, we raise this much money this event is happening on this day, it's much more useful. So this sort of unlocks more knowledge, more information for everyone. Now some other tools that I love, and I've talked about these before, but I'll say them again because I really really do like these. One of them is called voice notes, so voice note voes dot com and this is sort of an AI enhanced digital notebook. So you can speak or you can type in notes, and then it uses AI to search through them. So think about this almost as a second brain. So you just say stuff. So this morning I was showing my wife. So anytime my kid says something silly, I will record it into this app and I'll say, oh, my kid Tanner said something. You know, whatever he says, you know, I call him tannerisms or parkerisms, and so if they say something, so I remember it forever. And so what I did this morning is I just asked the AI inside Voice Notes, I said, tell me all the funny things my kid said, and it will give you a little summary throughout all of your notes of what your kids said that was funny. Me and my wife are just sitting there laughing. Some of them you forget, and some of them you remember. Instantly, so that's kind of cool. And I love that they just added a new feature recently where you don't have to record. You can just copy and paste notes into there. So if you want to, you know, have a note that you whatever it is, a quote that you find in a book or whatever you want, you can copy and paste into Voice notes and that will go into your sort of AI archive, and that's really cool. Whisper memos. So this another one. I've talked about this probably so many times, but I love this one. This is very similar, but you can speak a note and this is iOS only you can speak a note and then have it email to yourself. So I personally love the Apple Watch app version of this because I can be sitting there in my car some sort of idea hits me, or I'm listening to some sort of program or an audio book and they say something interesting and I go, oh, let me record that, and I'll record it, it'll get transcribed and then email to me. Now, if you want a physical solution for all this, I've been testing two devices from PLoud Plaud.
Speaker 2: This is sort of an AI note taking device.
Speaker 1: So remember those little micro recorders we used to have from radio shack as a kid. Well, well I did, I was a nerd. Now they have a digital version. And when I tell you this thing looks like a thin credit card, it is unbelievable. They did a really good job designing this thing. So they have two versions. They have plawed note, which looks like a business card. It's a digital cause I've almost said cassette recorder, digital recorder. Then they have the plowed pin, which I'm wearing on my wrist right now. And this you can wear on your wrist, you can hang around your neck, you can clip it to your shirt. But they both do the same thing. They record digitally and then it goes into the app and then it can transcribe and summarize what it heard. And you get super long battery life thirty hours for the note, twenty hours for the pin. Stand by time last for a long time. They've got a little way to attach the note to the back of your phone to record phone calls. Of course, I'm no lawyer. Check your local laws before you do that, make sure the other party is informed. And then you get a free plan. So when you buy this thing, you get about three hundred minutes of transcription a month. That's five hours. They cost about one hundred and sixty or one hundred and seventy dollars, and my initial impressions are that they work really well, and it's great if you're always in meetings, always doing interviews, and you don't want to tie up your phone because you might be thinking, rich, didn't you just say I can record with my phone. Yes, I think the idea behind these dedicated recorders is if you're always out and about and you don't want to tie up your phone because maybe you want to take pictures, maybe you want to do something else in your phone, scroll social media, or you just don't want it used up the whole time you're out. So again, these are called PLoud and it's just it's such a cool spin on like what you can do what we did as kids with that little recorder, that micro cassette recorder you now have in a digital format that, by the way, just looks really cool. And by the way, while we're on the topic of voice to text, I told you earlier my favorite voice to text app on Mac has made its way to Windows. It is called whisper Flow wispr flow, and I haven't like talked this up so much because it was only on Mac. But now it is on Windows and it is incredible. So you set a hot key once you download install it, you set a hot key on your keyboard. You press and hold that hot key like a walkie talkie. You talk into your microphone and your canter, and what you say is expertly transcribed and pasted wherever you are, So if you're in a word document, you're in chat, GBT, whatever it is. This is my secret weapon for getting emails responded too fast. And because it uses AI, it understands what you're saying, so if you stumble, you ramble, it'll clean it up. It gets paragraphs and punctuation right, and you get a whole bunch of words for free every month. I haven't even reached a free limit, but if you do more than that, you can pay again. That's whisper flow, all right. I'll link all this up on the website. Rich on tech dot tv for the show notes coming up your calls at triple eight rich one oh one. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you like the show, follow me on Instagram at rich on tech. You will find me there. And uh, if you want show notes, just go to the website rich on tech dot tv. I always mentioned a lot of helpful tips and tricks and links and programs and apps. So if you're looking for something and you want to find a link, it's all on the website rich on tech dot tv. This is episode one thirteen, so just click the little magnifying glass type in one thirteen and that will bring you to the show notes.
Speaker 2: It's go to Dave in the Long Beach.
Speaker 4: Dave, you're on with rich Oh hi and thanks for taking my call. Okay, I've had a cuts I've downloaded through iTunes for years. Well some years ago I wanted to rearrange them. I go into my library and it's empty. I call tech Services and they tell me they're gone. I'll say anything I can do, and they say, well, can you prove you actually bought these cuts? Well they've been there for years.
Speaker 5: So no way.
Speaker 2: Who asked you to prove you bought them?
Speaker 4: Customer service through iTunes?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, keep going anyway?
Speaker 4: Is there some place I can go that these cuts may have gone.
Speaker 1: To Well, when you say cuts, what do you mean by that you had? You had your own music?
Speaker 4: No, okay, you know you download individual songs from iTunes and you you know, burn into uh you know, CD, play them in the car.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Okay.
Speaker 1: So you're saying you're looking for your music that you previously purchased from iTunes.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay.
Speaker 1: So so the number one thing is, so why did these disappear?
Speaker 2: Number one?
Speaker 4: Nobody seems to be able to tell me.
Speaker 2: Mmmm, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, So there is a way did you look in the Are you using iTunes or Apple Music?
Speaker 4: Uh? These were originally iTunes.
Speaker 1: Okay, So there's a there's an option in iTunes or Apple Music to look You're going to account and it says purchased.
Speaker 2: Have you Have you looked there?
Speaker 4: Yep?
Speaker 2: And they're not there?
Speaker 4: Blank.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's weird because so is mine. I don't understand, Like, I've purchased a whole bunch of songs over the years and all mine are gone too, So I don't know what what exactly happened to those. Maybe it was under a different account, but yeah, like it's they're just not there. You didn't have a backup of your computer backup of this library anywhere.
Speaker 4: No, they've basically the backups are going to be the cuts that are burned to CDs.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, do you still have them on CD?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I do.
Speaker 1: Oh well you can import those back into iTunes.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 4: Okay, I can import those back into iTunes. Now when I burn them, you know, load them to the computer. Uh, it just says, you know, I don't get anything that says, you know, like the song and the artist.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well there is a setting inside your your well it depends how they are encoded on the CD.
Speaker 2: Were they encoded with that information should have been?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So if it has an information, there is a setting inside Apple Music that says to look up the information when you put in. So if you look at the uh, let's see, it's under files and it says import music, import settings. So I would make sure you you know, you can do that import the audio through that.
Speaker 2: And I just did this recently.
Speaker 1: So the only, of course requirement is that you have to have a CD player or DVD player, which you know a lot of computers nowadays don't, but if you have an older model it does. But the first time that you do this. It should ask you, hey, do you want us to look up this information and get the audio you know, the listings for these songs from the internet, and so you'd have to say yes to that. But once you do that, you can just import these CDs. You basically put them in your computer. You go into iTunes and it or Apple Music and it should show up on the left hand side in the library. You just write clicks a import and it it should look up those songs as it imports them. So that's the way I would do it. I just recently did this the other day. It does still work. It's not as heavily advertised as it used to be because people just don't really do this as much anymore. But yes, you can still use Apple Music to import these CDs. So that's what I would do. But in the future, once you do this, I would make a backup of your iTunes music collection, so you can look on your Mac. It's usually under music and then iTunes or under Windows under same thing music iTunes, but it usually has your username before that, so just navigate to find that library and back up that library so you have these songs in the future. Now, of course, we know that these companies want us to do everything in the cloud, and that's what they're pushing us towards. So they're not making this easy anymore. They're not really putting these tools front and center because they want people to just subscribe to Apple Music, just subscribe to Spotify, just subscribe to whatever music service and pay ten to twelve dollars a month for the rest of your life for access to the same couple songs that you play every time. So that's unfortunately what I do and a lot of people do. But you can still import dcds, all right. Thanks for the call, Dave, appreciate it. You know, just in general, I get a lot of emails every week about things that go missing. Please back up your computer, back up the important files. Just make sure, no matter what it is, your documents, your photos, your music, back those up to the cloud, back them up to an external hard drive. You'll be happy you did it later. Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The phone number eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four.
Speaker 2: To two four one zero one give me a call.
Speaker 1: If you have a question about technology, lines are open. Email is also an option. Just go to Rich on tech dot TV hit contact. That's exactly what Ray did. Ray says, Hey, Rich, I hope you're doing well. I wanted to see if you heard any updates about the Google chrome Cast bug that was messing things up this week. I'm one of the many who did a factory reset, and apparently it was not the right thing to do. Ooh, Ray, Okay, yes, this is a great segue into something I was going to talk about. So chrome Cast this week had a major issue. Chrome Cast second generation and chrome Cast Audio users had a major outage. Now, given these are very old devices, chrome Cast Audio and the chrome Cast second generation have been around for a very long time, but they still work, and you know, they're very popular. Chrome Cast was like the way to get things to your TV or audio for a very long time. Now we just call it casting. It's built into a lot of things. But anyway, they displayed this message, I said, outdated device firmware, and they became unusable. And so a lot of people like Ray said, they performed these factory resets, which, by the way, made the issue worse. Now, if you're a tech person and something goes wrong and you keep getting an error message, you might think, oh, let me just reset this and see if that's going to help. Well, that actually messed up the device. So Google told people do not factory reset, but so many people did that already. So now Google says they do have a cause of the problem and they are working on a fix. They have not provided a timeline for the fix, but they say please do not factory reset. So if your Chrome Cast is not working, you've got one of these older Chrome Cast devices and it's giving you some sort of error, do not factory reset it. Just wait because Google says it's going to make reset up very, very difficult. But it does sound like they will have a fix. So ray if you did reset it, you did that factory reset, that they should come out with some sort of factory software or new software that's gonna help. Now people are finding these little workarounds on Reddit. I can't recommend you do that unless you are super techy. But it is a software issue, not a hardware issue. So these things happen from time to time, and it's frustrating, especially with me, because you know, I'm the kind of person that's always doing like the software update immediately, and you know, you run into some issue, you look online like, hey are other people having this problem? But it's usually the people like me that are doing it first. And you know, sometimes these things don't happen longer because the companies figure it out. And I'm kind of beating around the bush, but this happened to me once where whenever the Apple came out with new software for the iPhone, I would literally press that refresh like a million times until it came my way. And one time I did that, I put install the software. Unbeknownst to me, it had a bug, but it rendered my phone useless. Now, this was many, many years ago, so I'm not saying that this happens a lot anymore, but it could, and so my phone had no cellular connection for I think twenty four hours before they came out with a fix. And so, yeah, that was frustrating. Let's go to now. I wait a little bit. Now, I wait a little bit. Let's go to Gary, Gary in Los Angeles around with Rich.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 7: Rich, I have a question. I've been having trouble lately when I'm trying to watch YouTube live stream through my Roku streaming stick, and I'm getting that spinning wheel and I'm like the picture freezes up. And I think I have a pretty fast Internet with a spectrum of spectrum four hundred. But I think maybe I have an older Wi Fi rounder it's over six years old. I was wondering if maybe that's contributing to this slow speed.
Speaker 1: It could be, But let's number one, you have very fast Internet. Four hundred is extremely fast. Don't forget cable internet as like you have. Typically the download speed is very fast. The upload speed is the slow part. So your download speed is great.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: By the way, YouTube does not need a lot of bandwidth to to you know, stream videos. I mean part of the magic of YouTube and Netflix. They're the pioneers in streaming and so they have figured out how can we stream this stuff in a clear way, even on the worst possible signal. So I don't think that it is your internet service. It could be a combination. How old is this Roco.
Speaker 7: My rocoustick is four and a half years.
Speaker 1: Old, Okay, So I have a feeling it's either the combination of the rocoustick and the.
Speaker 2: Wi Fi router, but a six year old WiFi router.
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, things have changed in that time, but it really comes down to the placement of this router. Does anything else buffer on your Roku stick?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 7: Basically it's only what's on YouTube, because like I'll open up Roku and then I'll and I'll click on the you you YouTube a and uh sometimes it will give you'll see screen shots of all the YouTube channels. And there's been times where the screen shots are very slow, too low, and I'll just see like boxes.
Speaker 2: Well have you tried restarting the Roku?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you tried restarting that? What about that?
Speaker 4: Ye?
Speaker 5: Fine?
Speaker 7: On Roku you can check the connection and it says signal strength excellent, and it says download speed anywhere. I've seen anywhere from ninety one oh yeah to one oh two. Is that fast enough?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah?
Speaker 1: That I mean we're talking. Netflix recommends twenty five down for four K video, so you're talking ninety is four times that. So yes, your your speed is completely fine. So I think it has to do with the app or the rokup. So have you updated this YouTube app or the operating system on the Roku lately?
Speaker 7: Well, what I did was I uninstalled the YouTube appened, then.
Speaker 5: Reinstalled it and it still happened, and it still.
Speaker 7: Happens in the rokup. I went into the sheddings and see if if there was an update, and it says that it is up to date.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that's good. That's all good.
Speaker 1: So the final thing I'm seeing that you might be able to do is what's called clearing the cash on your.
Speaker 2: Roku.
Speaker 1: So some users, I don't know if this is a published thing for Roku or people just found a hack, but this what I'm seeing online says you can press the home button five times followed by the up button once.
Speaker 2: I don't know, this sounds silly.
Speaker 1: I'm reading this sounds like that abba thing we used to do back in the day on Nintendo.
Speaker 2: But here's what it says.
Speaker 1: It says clear the cash by pressing the home button five times, followed by the up button once, the rewind button twice, and the fast forward button twice.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's sounding like a scam if you ask me. But if I were you, I try it because you know that may be your last resort. So I'm trying to see it says. See, this is getting interesting. This is saying it's weird because it's it's coming from some reputable places like yeah, it's saying that it's you can do this.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I would try that and see if that works. Yeah, that's what I would try and see that's your last kind of thing I would say if nothing else, is what I would do again. Okay, so I try this weird clear the cash thing. I don't know if that's gonna work, but you can try it. So it's home button five times, up, arrow once, rewind twice, fast forward two times.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can try that.
Speaker 1: The other thing I would try to do is uninstall the YouTube app, restart the Roku, and then reinstall the YouTube app and see if that helps. And the other thing you might be able to do if your Roku is running low on storage, I might check the storage on your Roku and if there's like an app or two you don't need on there, I might get rid of those apps and then restart it as well, because it sounds like there's something going on here where it just can't handle the YouTube situation. But keep me posted there, Gary, that is a frustrating issue, But I don't think I don't think your WiFi is the problem. You don't need a new Wi Fi router after six years. I mean, you can easily keep these things for a long time. And again you told me your speed was ninety, so I think your your speed to the roku is is just fine. I'll put that link by the way, that weird hack on the show notes Richontech dot TV. This is episode one thirteen. You can find the show notes there all right, eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, I'm gonna tell you why the smart watch market has hit a snag for the first time ever. We'll dive into some of those numbers and I'll tell you the bright spot in all this right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. We have a special guest on the line, our very own Kim Shaffer.
Speaker 2: Kim is it you?
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, after two years, I finally get to talk to you.
Speaker 1: You're here. Oh my gosh, where's the applause? Oh my gosh, welcome to the show. So what's it like to answer calls for the rich On Tech Radio show.
Speaker 6: It's awesome, But I like, I've only been communicating to you through text and now this is like so interactive, and we could have done this two years ago, but we never thought of it until recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just thought of this last week.
Speaker 1: I said, Hey, we should try to get you on here because you may not know, but we fully embraced the remote lifestyle. And so Kim is in a different location. Bobo is somewhere in a foreign country. No, I'm just kidding. He's right across the gate.
Speaker 2: Right in front of me.
Speaker 3: He is.
Speaker 1: Actually, we're on the border of California and Nevada.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 8: Exotic Sherman Oaks.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, totally exotic location. No, he's there. And do you have anyone else on the team that's in a different place?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: I think this is it. This is the whole show, all right.
Speaker 1: So do we have a caller we can bring up Kim?
Speaker 6: Yes, So we have Larry in San Pedro, which down up here up here where I am, we call San Pedro.
Speaker 10: But that would be totally wrong for.
Speaker 6: Me to do so in San Pedro he has a call or he wants to know about Is it secure to type in your credit card numbers into a smartphone?
Speaker 1: M I guess it depends on the situation. All right, let's let's bring up Larry in uh San Pedro. Is that how you say it?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: Sure, okay, welcome to the show. I should know how to say that because I live near it. Kim does not, uh, welcome to the show. So you have a problem with your credit card number punching into a phone?
Speaker 2: What's the deal?
Speaker 5: Well, when I use my landline, uncomfortable typing in my credit card to get to my Chase Bank account. But I just I'm a new smartphone user. I just recently bought a motor Rota Motive G and I'm wondering how safe it is to check my account using this smartphone and punching that credit card number in.
Speaker 1: Well, generally speaking, there is a potential for someone to be listening in mostly the government, to your cell phone. I don't think that that's going to happen. I don't think that. I think you're safe. Let's put it that way. I think you're safe. So it's an interesting thought, and I think The bigger issue is whether you're typing your number into a an unknown phone number. Right, if you are calling Chase Bank and you know it's Chase Bank, I think you're relatively safe. The other side of this is this your debit card or your credit card.
Speaker 2: It's debit Oh okay, so debit card. Now. See here's my thing.
Speaker 1: With debit cards, I'm usually a little bit more protective because that is actual your money.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: Credit card, it's the bank's money until they want to collect it from you, and if there's an issue they you know, you can just say, hey, look, i'm disputing this. With a debit card, yes there are protections, but still that money comes out of your account initially first. So I am always much more cautious when it comes to my debit card number than my credit card number. So I do think that it's it's smart to be cautious, especially with this card number. But I think you're going to be okay typing in that number. You know, if someone was listening on the line, I mean theoretically they could probably figure out what touch tones that you're using. But I think this is why banks are getting much more into automated ways of identifying you and using voice and all that stuff to identify who you are and to authenticate the call. But I think in general you're okay. This has been going on for a very long time, and I don't hear of many stories of people being hacked this way, so I think you're safe. The other thing is, what about downloading the bank app to your phone to check for the balance?
Speaker 2: Would you be open to that.
Speaker 5: I will all look into that because.
Speaker 2: That would be you know, you would number one.
Speaker 1: It would be simpler because you know, once you store the login on your phone. You know, as long as your phone is pass code protected and all that stuff, you got to be secure. But you know, I've been accessing my accounts online for a long time. It's been it's been quite safe. In fact, I was doing this a long time before it became popular to do that, and nowadays it's very popular. People check their balances before they make a purchase. They just check on them every day just to see what's going on in there. So but I think you're safe at the end of the day, Larry, I think you're safe putting your credit card number into the smartphone, you know, punching it in to authenticate the account as long as you are dialing that number. If it's someone that calls you and says, hey, we want to tell your bank account balance, just type in your number. I wouldn't do that, but you're not gonna do that anyway, right, correct? How you like in the new phone? Is it okay for you? Is this your first smartphone?
Speaker 9: You said, yes it is.
Speaker 5: Oh, wow, it's I guess to sum it all up, it's a very smart phone. Well I'm impressed.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome to the year twenty twenty four or what do we in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 2: I don't even know the year.
Speaker 1: Well what do I know? But no, Yeah, I'm glad you got on board with the phone. I'm glad it's working out for you, Larry, And thanks for the call today. I do appreciate it. Eight eight eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Oh my gosh, I don't even know what year it is. How can you trust a guy that doesn't know what year it is?
Speaker 2: Especially on a tech show?
Speaker 1: On a tech show, here's the thing. I mean, some days I don't even know what date is. Like I go through the whole day and I like look at my or my watch at the end of the day and I'm like, oh, today's this day.
Speaker 2: I even Kim, this is what I go to every Saturday. Kim, do you know what day it is?
Speaker 1: Every single day?
Speaker 2: I do not, thank you.
Speaker 1: See, oh well why do you Why do you know what day it is every day?
Speaker 2: Because I work every day.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that's why I don't know what day it is every day. Saturday is my benchmark.
Speaker 2: Saturday.
Speaker 1: You know when it's Saturday because you're doing the rich On Tech radio show.
Speaker 2: I will tell you.
Speaker 1: I do know what day of the week it is every single day of my life because that is very important to what I do, both on TV and the radio.
Speaker 2: So I do know what day.
Speaker 1: I may not know the actual date, so I do know that you know, Saint Patrick's Day is coming up in a couple of days, so I will say Monday, Monday, Yes, So there you go.
Speaker 2: So that's the seventeenth.
Speaker 1: So see, I'm wearing there's always a day. There's always a day. This has become a party line. What is happening here? Now we have the rich On Tech party line show. Uh eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. All right, coming up, I'm gonna tell you about the smart watch sales decline and the the bright point and all this.
Speaker 2: Are we not going to break? We got time? What ten seconds?
Speaker 4: Nine?
Speaker 2: Oh? Okay, well, oh, let.
Speaker 1: Me tell you this the website rich on Tech dot TV. Uh, there is a way that you can watch all the segments that I do on TV. They're all there on the website. So if you're curious you want to see some of the things I do on TV, go to the website rich on Tech dot TV and sign up for the newsletter. Great newsletter today. It's kind of like this show in text form. It's a great read that'll be sent your email box every weekend. Eighty to eight rich one on one back after this, Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple A Rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show show rich on Tech dot TV. Man, you mentioned a phone number on the radio one time, and it's like boom, the lines light up. So I've got a whole bunch of things I want to talk about but I also have a lot of callers, so I'll do one quick story then I'll get to a call.
Speaker 2: How about that.
Speaker 1: I've been promising the smart watch market story for a while. Global smart watch market declined by seven percent last year. This is, according to Counterpoint Research, the first ever decline. So that means people were buying smartphones for years, ten years, and now last year they stopped. So Apple is still the top seller, but their shipments were down nineteen percent last year.
Speaker 2: Now I think I know why.
Speaker 1: Remember that big patent dispute on the Apple Watch about the blood oxygen monitoring. I think that scared a lot of people away last year because they saw the watches not being full featured, so they just or they took a wait and see approach. So that's probably what happened. There other things that happened, apparently no Apple Watch Old Time for three that didn't come out last year. People saw the S ten series as having minimal upgrades, which I disagree with because I've been wearing the S ten and it's thinner, the screen is brighter, you can see it for more angles. I thought it was actually a great upgrade, and I guess less people are buying the Apple Watch se which is sort of their entry level, which tells me that a lot of people had that watch. You know, this market's getting saturated. People that have a smart watch or that want a smart watch have.
Speaker 2: A smart watch.
Speaker 1: But the one bright spot kids smart watches, Yes, that is a segment that saw growth because of course parents want to track their little ones and see where they are, and they are handy. I know it's a tracker, but to be honest, most of the time we use it just to get in touch with our kids, and it is very handy. So I think it's a good middle ground between you know, having that smartphone and having nothing. Let's go to let's go to act actor in Santa Barbara, Am I saying that right?
Speaker 2: Actor? Yes, sir, all right, I'm glad.
Speaker 3: I got to thank you for taking my call. So so long, long story short on my printers having to be batty. This is an XP seventy one hundred Epstein and all of a sudden on a random basis didn't used to happen, but see happening increasingly more and more. It will come on and it'll spit out gibberish like eight pages of mostly blank page in one ward on top, maybe blank page with short paragraph of gibberish on top. And once that happens, you can't print anything. Gone through all of you know, the philistine efforts called clean boats, turn it off, pull the plug, counter ten, plug it back and all that stuff. And what's happening anything?
Speaker 2: How old is this printer?
Speaker 3: Three years?
Speaker 1: Three years old? Okay, so it's relatively new. And was there something By the way, we don't do printer questions on this show. Oh sorry, yeah, but I'll answer this one just as a freebie, because here's the here's what I've realized actor in the in the fifteen years of talking about technology on TV, there's never been a solution to a printer problem ever, not once. There has never been a printer that has been solved. Literally, people will take their printer before they solve the problem, put it in the trash can. That's the only way you can solve a printer issue problem. But I will solve this one. We will try. Okay, So it's printing out gibberish, which is quite interesting. You said you've done all the main things, which is turning off the printer, turning off your computer, turning off the router restarting all of those things after a few minutes. Okay, So the order you want to turn them back on determines whether you may have some other conflicts. So turn off your printer, turn off the computer, turn off the router, turn back on the router, turn back on the computer, then turn back on the printer in that order. Okay, so you're going to reverse order. See if that helps. If it doesn't, you know, you can try a new cable, but that's probably not the problem. The other thing that maybe the culprit here is something called, and I'm just doing some research online here, the print spooler. This is a section of Windows that sort of basically is the intermediary between your computer and the printer. So it's getting its instructions from this print spooler. And maybe there's an issue with the print spooler, and so you can go in. This gets a little complicated, but I was able to do it very quickly on my computer.
Speaker 11: Here.
Speaker 1: If you just type services into the Windows taskbar, Okay, services, you bring that up, and that'll bring up this window with all kinds of things that are going on your Windows computer. Scroll down to where you see print spooler, okay, And when you do that, you can tap restart the service. And so if you turn off that service, you won't be able to use the printer at all. But if you press restart, that should just restart the print spooler service, says Windows is a tempting to start the following services.
Speaker 2: So it restarted, so that.
Speaker 1: May clear out any sort of issues that are going on with the print spooler and see if that helps. If not, I would just check for you know, I would uninstall. I think you've said you did all this stuff, but you know, uninstalled the printer driver, reinstall it, and then if worse comes to worse and you really have to do this, just take the printer, lift it up and throw it out and then just buy a new one. And that's the other thing. The printers are so cheap now. It's like the printers on my Best Buy the printer's fifty bucks, and it's like, oh wow, this printer's fifty dollars. And when you go to buy ink, the ink's like seventy five bucks. You're like, wait a second, what kind of business are these printer companies running. I'm on that like instant ink thing. Where I pay for the ink every month, but it's like on a page basis, So all of a sudden, when I print too many pages, they're like, oh, we just charge you, like an extra three dollars for that. I'm like, what, Like it's like you get. I think I get one hundred pages a month that I can print anyway. I hope that works for you, ictor please keep me posted on the on the website, send me email Rich on tech dot tv, hit contact and let me know there. Let's see here. We got an email from Tony in Pasadena. He said, hey, Rich, I heard the call about the iTunes purchases that are gone. I looked at Apple Music, I couldn't find anything about purchases. I did check the iTunes Store app and found everything I've purchased under purchases there. I do see family members there as well. All right, so there's your purchases. You can re download them from there. Let's see here. Gram Grame writes in from San Diego, Rich, I need a new iPhone. I have the iPhone seven plus, never had any problems, but it's not supported anymore. A lot of apps need updates, but they won't update. Just usually use it for calls, text, email, browsing. I'm intrigued by the sixteen E. I'm also thinking of moving a Mint Mobile. Opinions comments, two questions. Thanks Oh Graham, Oh he wrote it wrong at the top, Graham Graham, Yes one percent. Don't even think about it. Get the sixteen E excellent phone for what you need. Sounds like you just need the basics. The sixteen E is six hundred dollars and it'll give you everything you need, all of the latest features. They're the basic versions of the features. But you get a good camera, get a good processor, you get a decent amount of storage, and I don't think there's anything missing on here that you'll need Mint Mobile. As I was running this morning, I was thinking how much I like Mint Mobile. So yes, absolutely move to mint Mobile. I mean fifteen bucks a month for their cheap plan, thirty dollars a month unlimited and sometimes Mint Mobile. Because now they're owned by T Mobile, we'll actually have deals with smartphones. So some of the some of the phones that they sell on there. Let's see if they have this sixteen I don't know if they do. Let's say sixteen E. Do they sell it? Yes, they do, so Okay, that's interesting. So they sell price seven seventy nine with a year of unlimited included. So let's just do the math there. So thirty times twelve is three sixty, so and the phone is six hundred plus sixty three sixty. That's nine to sixty. Okay, so you are actually saving almost two hundred dollars there by by buying the phone through them and paying in advance for the year. But I would personally just buy the phone out right at the Apple store and just then go to Mint Mobile, and I'd pay for the full year in advance. By the way, if you can. You know, this is all thinking that you can do that. But I would do the twelve months up front because that's how you save the most with mint Mobile, and right now, if you do that, you're only paying twenty five dollars a month instead of thirty if you pay for the full month. My mom's on mint Mobile. She loves it. I have Mint Mobile as my test line. I love it. They I think they do a great job. I know they're owned by the big wireless now and their whole thing was like they were not the big guys, But I think that they do a really good job on keeping their plans simple and easy, and the service works. It's on T Mobile, and I think that it's just the way they run things. I like it keeps it simple and understandable. And so for that reason, Graham, I would say, go ahead and get the sixteen E, get the mint Mobile plan. And you don't have to think about a payment for a year when you do that. So that's a great way to do it. Did you hear that Pokemon Go is being sold. Pokemon Go is going to Scopely three point five billion dollars. This company's buying Pokemon Go for They're buying a bunch of other properties from Nyantick as well. Scopely is owned by the Saudi Arabian Sovereign Wealth Fund. They also invest in things like Lucid Motors, Live Golf, and Uber. Basically, you know, Saudi Arabia is trying to reduce its dependency on oil, and video games are a big part of that. They're trying to, you know, just put their investments in other places. And so, as far as I can tell, it doesn't look like pokemon Go is going to change.
Speaker 2: It just has new owners.
Speaker 1: So if you're worried about the change to scope leae, I would check when you download the app or you know you continue using the app once they take over. Just be on the lookout for any sort of changes in the terms and conditions, especially when it comes to your personal information, your privacy information, because new companies will try to slip in some new terms that may take advantage, so just be careful there. But scope Lely is known for their big game called Monopoly Go. And by the way, Pokemon Go had like hundreds of millions of players when it launched in twenty sixteen. Now it's down to about twenty million, but still very popular. Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four.
Speaker 2: One zero one.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech rich Tomuro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. The website for the show richon Tech dot TV. Don't be shy, it's a free visit. You can go there and find everything you need, whether it is show notes, the email address to email me, just hit contact.
Speaker 2: What else? I keep a list?
Speaker 1: Where's my list of stuff? I have a list of all the things that you can do and of course I can't find it. You know, I do think I'm pretty organized, bobo, but sometimes you know that this show, this show takes a lot of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, let's seasy here. No, okay, I don't know where it is.
Speaker 1: Eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Let's see here. I wanted to mention that, let's see. Well, I don't know what I wanted to mention. I I'm just told, oh, we have a guest coming up. That's right, we have a guest. Well, you think it's my first day doing the show here? Huh yeah, let's just go to Sue in Westminster.
Speaker 2: Sue, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: I'm Rich.
Speaker 12: Thank you for taking my call. So it's time to replace my PC, probably maybe ten years old at this point, the traditional PC tower and monitor, and I'd like to try and eliminate some desk clutter. And I'm contemplating in all in one. Yeah, can you give me the pros and cons of an all in one and maybe get some model recommendations. I've always been a HP.
Speaker 1: Yeah, HP is great. So here's the deal. All in one PC is basically like you said, it's less clutter. It's easy. It's all in one, so there's you know, it's space saving. The big downside to them is that they are not traditionally upgradeable in a big way. So if you need to, you know, upgrade something later on, you're probably not gonna be able to do that. So that's the big downside the tower PCs. If you're looking at like a you know, big old tower PC, obviously those are built with power in mind, expandability in mind, and you can connect all the peripherals that you want to connect, so you can choose the monitor, you can choose the keyboard, you can choose the mouse. I mean, you could do that with a standard all in one, but it's gonna it's all gonna come in the box. You're not gonna want to buy new ones. So those are the two main reasons for each. I think it kind of depends what you're doing too. Are you a big gamer? You're doing a lot of gaming on this PC?
Speaker 12: No, you know, I'm proaching sixty five, just banking, shopping, social media research, Okay, I've never had to upgrade anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you'll be fine with the all in one because I think it's gonna be simpler. You're trying to get the You mentioned the word clutter, and so that is the biggest benefit is less cables all over the place. And so are you thinking MAC or PC? You said HP, huh PC?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I typically recommend if you go to Costco. If you do you have a Costco membership or no? Oh yeah, okay, oh oh. I like the way you said that you're a Costco fan. Huh okay, me too. So they typically in their electronics section have one to two all in ones, and I look at them every time I go there to just confirm this. But they are always an excellent deal and you choose one of those and you're basically getting maybe one hundred dollars more versus the price tag of what you get at another store that's not a membership based store. So I would say go to Costco if they have one, grab it. Just make sure the specs that I like to look for these days, I would say typically at least sixteen gigs of RAM. Of course, a one terabyte hard drive that's going to be pretty simple to find in an all in one, and I would look for either an Intel A five is probably fine, A seven is a little bit faster. They all go by like this, five and seven. So whether it's a MD or Intel, the seven is going to be faster. Nine is going to be much faster. But usually I don't really see those in the all ones. But just stay away from the three. That's gonna be too slow. And I don't even think Costco has that in general, but that's what I would recommend.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that's a good upgrade. Ten years. Ten years is a good amount of time to get out of a computer.
Speaker 12: I like, yeah, but it's going out a snail's pace right now, so it's time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hear it.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for the call, Sue, appreciate it and enjoy the new computer. We're actually gonna have Kimber streams on from the Wirecutter, so Sue, you may want to listen because you may be able to give your computer a whole new lease on life once you hear what Kimber has to say about, you know, spring cleaning your PC.
Speaker 2: So you can do that, all right.
Speaker 1: So AT and T, by the way, is trying to get people to buy landlines again, but they're not the same landline that you're used to. This is a new service called AT and T Phone Advanced. It's not available in every market, but they're in sixty markets across sixteen states.
Speaker 2: They keep expanding this.
Speaker 1: They just expanded it southern California, so you're gonna have to check to see where you're listening if they have this in your area, even want it, but if you you know AT and T has been on a push to move away from copper landlines. This thing is basically a box that uses both cellular or broadband. So you basically can use a cellular connection that's built in, or you can plug your Internet into it and then you can change you know, you can pour it over your existing phone number, keep your current phone. So if you have a nice landline, you want some sort of rotary dial phone that you've kept for many years that you still like. I don't know why you would, but maybe you know you're nostalgic, you can plug it into this thing and it acts like a regular phone. Then you can put a fax machine into it, alarms, medical monitoring systems. It has a twenty four hour backup battery to make sure you stay connected even during a power outage. So anyway, it's called AT and T Phone Advance. The competitors here are things like Uma Vonage, but Magic Jack, but.
Speaker 2: At and T you know, big name, very easy.
Speaker 1: Pay a buck for this thing, and then it's forty five dollars a month for the service. All right, coming up, we're gonna talk about spring cleaning your PC. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. We're gonna get to our guests. Our guest guest Kimber streams in just a moment. But first I got an email from Brian in San Juan Capistrano and he said, uh, hey, I heard the call about YouTube buffering. My YouTube buffering started when I lost you block. This is an ad blocker buffers for about ten seconds, tries to show me an ad The two could be related. That's a great call, Brian. I did not ask our caller about if he had an AD blocker on his network that could be interfering with his YouTube. So I know, for me, I've got Eero and they have like a network wide ad blocking thing, and so I've never really seen a lot of issues with that. Interrupting things, not even YouTube, but that could be the problem. So yeah, good call. And he also asked what's the best replacement? But we're gonna have a guest on in the third hour to talk about the best ad blocker replacements. But first we've got Kimber Streams on the line, tech reviewer at the Wirecutter. It's been reviewing computers and all kinds of stuff for over a decade now, and Kimber is going to tell us how to spring clean our PC. Welcome to the show, Kimber, thank you, I should say welcome back to the show because you were an early guest.
Speaker 10: I owe an early guest for back to school laptops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my gosh. So let's talk about spring cleaning PCs. Well, tell me first off about the PC market. What's going on with that, what's the latest?
Speaker 13: So right now, it's kind of a weird time in the PC market. There's a lot of choice available, but also a lot of anxiety for people looking to buy a laptop with increasing prices because of tariffs. So I've got a lot of questions about like do I need to upgrade my laptop? Can I keep using what I already have? When is a good time to buy something.
Speaker 1: Have the prices gone up because I know Apple, just I know you know this is Apple. They do their own thing, but they lowered the price by one hundred bucks. Have we seen an increase in prices.
Speaker 13: In some laptops, Yes, but not all laptops. So there is still I think a window to get something pretty great before those prices start climbing.
Speaker 1: And I know we're seeing changes with like the AI button, like that little copile of button, and then of course the snap Dragon processors. But in general, if you have a computer you like, is this the time to.
Speaker 2: Spring clean it?
Speaker 10: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: And what's the first step? What do you what do you? How do you assas well?
Speaker 1: Hold on, I guess my question is how do you assess if a spring Do you try this first with your computer and then maybe get a new one if it doesn't like it still is like not working very well?
Speaker 13: Yes, So if your laptop feels slow, you might actually be able to take a few steps to just clean up some programs, clean up your storage a little bit, and dust it out, and that'll help it feel faster and you might be able to keep using the same laptop for another year or two or even three if you take care of it.
Speaker 2: Well, So what's the first step. What do you do first?
Speaker 13: So, first you want to physically clean it out, so dust builds up inside of your laptop, inside of your desktop, and every six months to a year, depending on how dusty your living space might be, you'll actually want to open it up and clean it out.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's I used to love doing that with my big old computer, you know, but with a laptop. I still love cleaning my computer. In fact, I wipe down my laptop today with like a little you know, alcohol wipe. I love doing that. It's just like my favorite thing to do. It's just like so satisfying it is. And the screen, I will say, the screen is tricky because you know, A, you don't want to ruin it, and B it's like could leave a little streak, so just be careful. My advice with that is like, if you're using any sort of wet cloth, ring it out as much as possible, because you do not want water like on this computer.
Speaker 13: Right, Yes, absolutely so I will use a microfiber cloth actually and dip it in just a tiny bit of down soap and hot water and.
Speaker 10: Wring it out really really good, and if it's hot enough and dry.
Speaker 13: Enough whenever you do it, then all of that extra moisture is just going to evaporate off your screen, so you don't damage the screen or drik water into the bits of your lap up that you absolutely do not want water in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I did do that once I cleaned. I'll never forget this. I was cleaning my laptop with like one of those Lightsol wipes and I just literally took it out of the Lightsol box, put it on there. All the lightsol got into my keyboard, and like an hour later stop working.
Speaker 2: I'm not kidding though.
Speaker 1: I dried out that computer for like two weeks and it worked again and I got a lot of use.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what's the best way to free up storage on your computer?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 13: So on Windows and Mac you can open up the storage menu. It's called the same thing on both operating systems, and then I'll actually give you a readout of what's taking up the most space on your computer. A couple spaces. The places that are like easy to reclaim storage. In Windows, there's that temporary files folder. There's a button in the storage venue that you can just blow that up and get rid of it. You're not getting rid of anything important. Your computer will download anything else that it needs. Back to that, I also recommend going through your downloads folder. There's probably years of PDFs and memes and app installers and all of that that you have not paid attention to. There might be a couple of things that you need in there, but probably most of it you can get rid of.
Speaker 2: I do that every Friday.
Speaker 1: I love that little sound of just cleaning out the track or the downloads folder.
Speaker 2: What about apps?
Speaker 1: So I always, you know, like I test a lot of apps, as I'm sure you do, so I'm always installing like apps and then just forgetting about them.
Speaker 2: Is it a good idea to kind of get rid of some of those things?
Speaker 13: Yes, So Windows has an installed apps venue, and then back to that same storage menu.
Speaker 10: In Mac, there's.
Speaker 13: Going to be like a whole list of all of the apps that are on your computer. You want to remove anything that you're not using anymore. Some computers also come with a lot of floatwear that's pre installed that is not stuff that you need. If you're not sure what an app is or does in that list, you can actually look it up on the should I remove it? Website and it'll tell you what that app is and does and whether or not you want to get rid of it.
Speaker 1: And also I noticed that you can sort that menu by large to small, So if you just want to see, like what's taking up the most space, you can do it that way. But I like the idea of can you ruin your computer if you unstall something that set's like, you know, supposed to be there.
Speaker 10: Not from that menu?
Speaker 2: No, okay, good, good to know there.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what about you know these these programs love to launch when you start your computer, right because they're sticky and they get you know, they get in your face. So do you can you stop that from happening?
Speaker 13: Yes, So whenever your computer restarts, it launches kind of a series of apps that it's been told or important. And if it's trying to launch too many, your startup is going to feel sluggish and it might take a few minutes instead of just a few seconds. There is a startup menu in both Windows and Mac and you can keep the important things that you need to be running in the background all the time, like maybe your password manager or a cloud backup program. But I go through that list that I turn off apps like Slack or Discord or Steam that I'm just going to launch whenever I.
Speaker 10: Need to use them.
Speaker 13: And I also don't use certain things that are in that list, like the Microsoft Edge browser or like Microsoft's phone length features, so I go ahead and turn those off, and then that makes my computer startup faster because it's launching less things at the same time.
Speaker 1: And that's again if you go into your settings and just type in startup. I just saw this. Wow, I didn't realize that Edge starts up. I'm turning it off right now, thank you. I just got to win. We're talking to kimber Streams, who's been covering laptops and tech at Wirecutter for over a decade about spring cleaning your PC. What about the updates and the browser extensions. I feel like, you know, should you get rid of those browser extensions? Can that slow things down if you don't need them anymore?
Speaker 10: Yeah, So it's the same as a startup.
Speaker 13: If your computer is trying to run too many apps or too many things in the background, it'll feel slower. So you can go through your extensions, turn off ones that don't need to run all the time. I have a specific pdf mage one that I only use to save PDFs. I don't need that running all the time. I can just run that when I want to. So you can disable those to make browsing feel faster.
Speaker 1: And so what about anything else I'm not asking that you think is really important to speeding up and clean up the PC?
Speaker 10: Anything else?
Speaker 2: What about backing up?
Speaker 1: I mean, don't you think that's like such a thing that I guess so many people like calling and emailing about they lose things all the time.
Speaker 2: Like, what's the best way to back up? You think?
Speaker 13: So, there's a couple of different ways, but the easiest one is that both Windows and Mac have free backup options. It's file History for Windows and time Machine on Mac. Both of those things only take about ten minutes or like four steps to set up, and then they're going to happen automatically going forward, so you don't have to keep paying.
Speaker 10: Attention to your backup. It will just happen.
Speaker 13: We do have step by step guides for setting that up on wire cover.
Speaker 1: Oh that's kind of cool. So file history interesting. So you plug in a drive and it will kind of yeah, build a history of your library's desktop contacts and favorites. That's kind of cool and in time Machine I'm familiar with on the Mac side. Okay, so you do all this stuff, how do you know if it's time to get a new computer or stick with what you got.
Speaker 10: Yes, So if you've gone through all of these steps and you still boot up your computer and it feels slow, if you're trying to do basic tasks like browsing the web, doing email and it still just feels really slow and frustrating, then it's actually probably time to bite the bullet and upgrade your computer.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So the article is how to make your old computer feel new Again. The author kimber Streams. You can find it. I'll link it up on the website. This has everything that we just talked about and more, by the way, So if you want to see all these step by step instructions and it feels good to do this, like when you clean your computer and kind of like get rid of all the junk, I it feels really good now, Kimber. I every year, once a year usually reinstall the you know, the software from scratch, like the operating system. That seems a little elaborate for most people probably, but I really like doing that because I start fresh. Let's talk about a laptop recommendation. You have a computer recommendation if someone just wants like a nice, good computer for maybe five six seven hundred bucks.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 13: So, out of the fifty thitted light ultrabooks that I've tested last year and this year so far, those are roughly the Windows equivalent to the MacBook Air. The best one that I found is the aces Vivo Book S fourteen, and the specific model number on that is Q four two three.
Speaker 10: Essay, it's such a catchy name.
Speaker 1: Q four three sa Aceus Vivo Book fourteen.
Speaker 2: What do you like about this?
Speaker 10: So it is a great laptop.
Speaker 13: It's thin and light, It lasted eighteen hours in Wirecutters web browsing battery life test. It is just two point eight seven pounds, and it has great performance now and for years to come. It's got a recent processor in it. It has sixteen gigs of memory, five hundred and twelve gigs of storage, and a very spacious fourteen inch Ola display. So the color is gonna look really.
Speaker 10: Nice on it.
Speaker 1: And what a sweet deal right now? I know, as who's computers are typically discounted at best Buy a lot four hundred and ninety nine bucks for this thing right now usually nine p fifty. That's a great deal. All right, Kimber, awesome, excellent, great job. Thank you so much for coming on the show today. I'll link up a Kimber Streams article on Richontech dot tv. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's go to U D D in West Covina. Did you're on with Rich.
Speaker 14: Mine good to talk to you. I love all your advice everybody.
Speaker 2: Thank you DD. What can I help you with?
Speaker 3: I need a.
Speaker 14: New television set. I have bad macular degeneration and it's going and I've been trying to find a television that is bright, that has good contrast. I've done nothing but get myself totally confused, trying to look on Google, going through best bite. I mean, everybody, who's the best?
Speaker 13: You know, da, da da?
Speaker 8: What would be the.
Speaker 14: Best kind of television to get? I've seen something called the Supersonic. Another one is Sony's bravera nine led. I've seen a Samsung q n D nine D or what as I say. I've gotten myself so confused, and everybody says, oh, this is the best, this is the best. I thought, why don't I just call the pro and find out what would you recommend for something that is bright and has good contrast? Yeah, I think it's only twenty four or twenty eight inches fit my cat.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well that's twenty four or twenty eight.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a little tricky to find a TV in that size, but you should be able to. But I think I think in general, so out of all the companies that I cover, the one that I hear talk about accessibility features the most is Samsung, out of all the TV manufacturers. So I would go with Samsung because they typically make a big splash at CES talking about the accessibility features built into their TVs, and specifically when you're talking contrast, that is one of the big pushes that they typically talk about. They have some features built into their TV that do boost the contrast, that do make the screen easier to see if you do have any sort of vision issues. Now, they just this year they're using much more AI for all that kind of stuff. So your TV, if you're looking at like a twenty twenty five model, you know, that may have the the AI stuff, but before, even before the AI, they've had a lot of features built in to help with you know, with accessibility and vision features.
Speaker 14: So I think, yeah.
Speaker 2: I would.
Speaker 1: I would go with the Samsung because I think you're gonna find and also they you know, they update their software a lot.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just every time I go to a.
Speaker 1: Samsung event, they make a big deal out of the accessibility features. So I think that they are actively working on that and focusing on it, and so that's.
Speaker 2: Why I'd go with them.
Speaker 14: Oh that's awesome. Well I will look at Samsung then and see. I guess Best Buys would probably be the best place to look.
Speaker 1: For that, do you think yeah, I'd say so, I'd go to best Buy, and I would I would try to find a demo unit where you can actually activate the accessibility feature.
Speaker 2: I know it may be tough. Where do you live West Covina.
Speaker 1: If there's a local place, like, you know, like a local retailer, you may be able to actually play with the TV a little bit more, and like ask a salesperson to like, let you look at the settings and see That's what I would recommend, because that way you can actually see, you know, go into the accessibility menu, toggle the contrast setting and see if that helps. And if it does, that's the one to get. At best Buy, they're all on kind of that loop, you know, where I don't know if you'll be able to play with the TV set as you would at a local place.
Speaker 14: Oh that's great advice, Thank you very much. And would they have to be what would they have to install it? Or could my sons and grandsons do it?
Speaker 1: Oh no, I think your sons and grandsons can do it, especially you're talking. You said twenty five to twenty eight inch. I mean that's that's going to be. You can pick that up with you know, it's very these TVs have gotten so light. When was the last time you replaced yours?
Speaker 14: Well, I had gotten one about five years ago and in it got sadly got broken.
Speaker 2: Oh no, what happened to it?
Speaker 14: Well, we were trying to install some other things with the recorder type thing and when we pulled or when they pulled on the cords, TV plopped over and hit something in the screen. Went great, but.
Speaker 1: Oh no, okay, Oh, I just found the mode that that Samsung is always showing off.
Speaker 2: It's called Relumino mode.
Speaker 1: R E l U M I n O Relumino Mode, and it says if you struggle to see the screen when enjoying movies or other content, you can use Relumino Mode on twenty twenty four Samsung TVs.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know that's I think that's when this came out.
Speaker 1: It increases the contrast and brightness of the screen and emphasizes the outlines of images to help you see every bit of the action.
Speaker 2: Does that sound like it would help?
Speaker 14: Oh that sounds absolutely perfect, because come night time, everything well, I've got a very old Toyoga Toshiba and everything turns black and purple.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well that's yeah, that's probably the contrast ratio on your TV. I mean, older models are just not as good. But this is I think what you need. So did check it out, Samsung. Make sure you look for that relumin reluine me mode on that TV and I will look it up.
Speaker 14: Oh you're an angel. Thank you so very very much. I truly appreciate all your help and I love your programs. I'm not a tech person, but I'm fascinated listening to everything that's going on in the world.
Speaker 8: That's great.
Speaker 1: Thanks Ded, Just to let everyone know, we do not pay DD to say this. Thank you, d D. You put a smile on my face. Really appreciate it. Have a great day there in West Covina. Eight eight eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Bobo always says, I pay these people to say this stuff. I don't pay, Yes, you do.
Speaker 2: I do not. If you check book in there last time I was here, I'd be a broke man.
Speaker 1: The website rich on Tech dot TV if you want to go there, sign up for the newsletter, look for the show notes. This is episode one thirteen, So d D, if you want to see what I mentioned, I'll link it.
Speaker 2: Up on the website. Very easy to search.
Speaker 1: Just go to the website, hit that magnifying glass and type in one thirteen and look at that brings you right to the episode more rich on Tech coming your way right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology with you at eight eight eight rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Welcome to another hour of the show. We've got Jared Newman coming up later.
Speaker 2: What a treat.
Speaker 1: Jared writes a newsletter called Advisorator. One of my favorites. The people who write newsletters read Jared's newsletter.
Speaker 2: He's great.
Speaker 1: You can sign up for his newsletter for free, mind too. Yeah, I'm just making sure that his is free. I think it is. There's at least a free level. Well, we'll ask him when he comes on, but he's gonna talk about the best ad blockers, how to get rid of those annoying sign in with Google pop ups, and his quest for the perfect web browser. I will tell you, I will admit after all this time, and I'm not kidding, trying every single note taking app. So I always say you can do this search on Google called whatever you're searching for versus. So for me, Evernoe was my favorite note taking app for years, and then I had to find something different. So if you type in Evernote versus, it'll give you Notion, one Note, Obsidian, Google Keep Good Notes, Apple Notes, Notability. I tried every single one of those, plus more Joplin. I think there's bear, I mean there's so many. I tried every single one and I'm telling you this week I went back to Evernoe. After all that, I've come full circle because I have decided that I'm an adult and if I want to pay one hundred bucks a year forever note, so be it. It does exactly what I needed to do. And I was very sad about getting involved with Evernoe because the more you put in here, the more you have to pay forever. Every other app that I was using, I'd be like, Oh, it doesn't do that.
Speaker 2: Every note does that. Oh it doesn't do that. Every note does that? Oh it doesn't do that. Ever Note does that? Why am I trying to use a program that doesn't do what I want to do?
Speaker 8: Ever?
Speaker 2: Note does it all.
Speaker 1: I'm sitting here, like every little thing I do on there, I smile because it's so exciting that it does exactly what I want to do.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not kidding. I could go through.
Speaker 1: Maybe my next show, I'll do the beginning of the show about all the pros and cons of these things because I've tried them all. Like one Note by Microsoft.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 1: It's great, It's almost perfect. But the problem with one Note is you go to try to print something and on a mac at least it's all over the place. It doesn't print it properly. And by the way, it's also like this infinite like canvas, so you can't just like have stuff like flow in a line.
Speaker 2: It's really weird.
Speaker 1: Obsidian, which I was using, was great, but it just became I tried to search for something and I couldn't find it, and I'm like, why am I going crazy trying to say this stuff up that doesn't really do what I need to do.
Speaker 2: Let's just go back to everyno. So that's what I did. Sonywa.
Speaker 1: I'm back on EVERYNOE and I do like it. It is expensive, but you know what, I use it to produce this show, and that to me is worth it. Speaking of free, if you're trying to share a large file simply and easily, there's a website I discovered this week called file Pizza File dot Pizza super easy.
Speaker 2: You literally open.
Speaker 1: Up the website on your device, open up the website on a friend's device, drag a file in, and boom, you can share it. So the way it works is it's peer to peer file transfers in the browser, so these transfers never pass through file pizzas servers, so it's kind of a big deal for privacy, and basically you do have to keep your browser window open until the transfer is complete. It's all open source, which means a lot of people kind of check in on this stuff make sure that it's good. But basically, you drop a file in, so just drop any old file there. Let me find a file. Okay, I'm dropping one in. You can set a secret password if you want, and if you don't want it, you know, anyone with a link will be able to do it. And then it generates a QR code, a long URL and a short URL. So if Bobo came in here right now and just or if I sent him this link from his phone, he could download this file instantly right from my computer. Like it'll kind of like sets up a connection between the two. Very easy, very simple. My kid was trying to share something from his Windows laptop to his iPad and he's like, Dad, I can't air drop this. I said, go to file pizza. He's like, Dad, I love file pizza. It's so easy. It's just one of those things where like if you're with a friend, you're in their house and you're like, what's the easiest way to transfer this file from my thing to your thing file pizza cross platform, simple, easy in the browser. I love it. I love finding stuff like that. I'll put it on the website. Rich on tech dot TV. If you got my newsletter this morning, you already knew about that because I mentioned it in the newsletter. Rich on tech dot TV. Uh, subscribe.
Speaker 2: It is free.
Speaker 1: There's over forty thousand of you that get it. Actually more, it's like forty three thousand in counting. Now let's go to Bob in Lake Forest, California.
Speaker 2: Bob, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 11: Hey, Rich love your show man.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 11: Hey, I've got a situation here. I know you're you really preached for the mint Mobile. Your mom has it. I got mine.
Speaker 2: Hey, don't bring my mom into this. Bob. You just said your call, you call you, Okay.
Speaker 11: So yeah, every time I leave my house and go out about three times a day, I'll pull something up and it says you have no selling you the service and I have to reboot hauled customer service. And of course they just go, oh, we'll send your send back.
Speaker 5: The what do you call it?
Speaker 8: Goes in there, the sim card sim card.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And I said, well then I'll have a phone and I need it to work. He says, oh, well, go get another phone and then send the SIM crisis, it's not going to work on any suggestions. And what's going on?
Speaker 2: Okay? So what kind of phone do you have?
Speaker 11: I have a Galaxy A fourteen Camason.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you have an A fourteen so well, there could be several things going on. So number one, this phone may not have the reception that a more powerful phone has, so that could be what's happening? Do you have no service on your phone?
Speaker 2: Whatsoever? Or week? Service?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 11: Service is fine? Exact. I just went from T Mobile to mint Mobile and I had T Mobile for a year, never had one problem.
Speaker 5: With okay at all?
Speaker 1: All right, so this is the same This is the same network, so you shouldn't have a problem if you had service. Have you configured the apns? Have you heard that term from the no?
Speaker 2: Okay? So that's what I think it is.
Speaker 1: So basically Mint Mobile is a little bit different from some of the other providers where typically when you pop that SIM card in, it should send your phone a text message with these special settings that will configure how it looks for the cell towers and sometimes that does not happen, and especially were you using this phone with Team Mobile before? Oh yeah, okay, So there's two things I'd like you to do. Number one, you can text set up to sixty seven hundred and they will send the settings to your phone. Okay, so that's number one. Now, if that does not work, what I want you to do is do what's called a reset network settings.
Speaker 2: Have you done that?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm surprised these customer service folks have not told you this. But basically, if you go into your Samsung okay, if you go into settings, and I'll link this up on the website, you go.
Speaker 2: To let's see where is it reset? Let's see about phone? Hold on, I.
Speaker 1: Gotta find it if I type in, if you just search reset okay, and if you go to reset and you'll see it says reset mobile network settings.
Speaker 2: And so if you have that, you.
Speaker 1: Reset, it's basically gonna reset your mobile network settings, which means is gonna clear out the old T mobile settings, It's gonna clear out the Mint Mobile settings, and then when it looks at that sim card, it's gonna go, okay, we've got Mint Mobile, send me the new settings for this and it should automatically find the new settings. So if it doesn't work, forget this phone number, forget you ever talked to me, because then you won't have any signal. But I think I think it's gonna work, and I think that's gonna one of those issues is going to fix your problems. I would start with the with the setup to sixty seven hundred, start with that, and if that doesn't work, I would try the network settings reset and see if that helps. If those two things do not work, you could consider switching to like an eSIM, and that could also.
Speaker 2: I don't think that would help.
Speaker 1: That phone doesn't take anim yet, and I don't think that would help anyway, because eSIM is more if your phone is cycling through like no service because it says it can't find this cards.
Speaker 11: Sometimes I leave the SIM card in when I do each of these to the text sixty seven hundred and also the reset mobile settings.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would leave the SIM card in for both of those.
Speaker 11: So by both these says you know, if you don't hear from me, then you'll know something happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if we if no one hears from you again, then we know you're like stuck somewhere in this world with l any service.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: In that case, hello to your mother for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and do this in a in an area with Wi Fi just in case you need to get back on line.
Speaker 11: Okay, right now, So all right, if I switch over to Wi Fi or just leave it on Wi Fi.
Speaker 2: What do you mean switch over to Wi Fi?
Speaker 11: Well, I mean it's it's already it's Wi Fi. If I'm in the house right now, I'm gonna sell you because I just came from an outsite on hold with you guys, So I'm gonna obviously hang up with you, and it should go into Wi Fi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. And I would just stay on that and do that. Do those two things, see what happens. I think it's going to help you, and hopefully it does. We'll see what happens. Let me know.
Speaker 2: Great, Rich right, Bob, thank everybody? All right?
Speaker 1: Eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four four one zero one.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Well, well then I guess that sound means it's time for a break. Uh, Okay, We've got more calls coming up. I'm gonna tell you that Google Assistant is becoming well, it's going away. It's becoming something else. I'll explain what's happening there and when we'll take some more of your calls, and we have a guest plus the feedback. We got a lot coming up right here on rich On Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Let's go to uh Rick in Orange County. Rick, you're on with rich.
Speaker 9: Oh hey, rich, thank you for taking my call. I have a Defender right now my PC laptop and step for renol. But I'm hardly ever on the PC anymore. So I just wondering. I gets, like a free.
Speaker 5: Virus protection.
Speaker 9: Is there one out there that's good?
Speaker 2: Well, what do you mean so you're paying for Microsoft to.
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, so well why not just why not just go with the Windows security that's built into Microsoft.
Speaker 9: Oh I can do that? Yeah do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just do that. I don't think you need much more. I mean it's pretty simple. So if you look, if you go on Defender on your I mean they try to look. They're trying to sell you, obviously, and I get it.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 1: It does more stuff like than just the standard built in. But you know Windows already has built in virus and threat detection. So if you if you type in on your uh Windows Security. So if you type in Windows Security, you'll see it tells you what's happening. And if you tap virus in threat protection, it'll tell you current threats, quick scan, no action needed. You can it says security intelligence when the last time it was updated. Ransomware protection, you can set that up. I think the main thing is that you just just you know, get rid of the other thing, let the let the subscription lapse, and then just activate this and and make sure it's all up to date and you're good.
Speaker 5: Okay, cool, one more time.
Speaker 9: What's it called again?
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's called Windows Security. So that's it's like they I think they must have changed the name because Defender is sort of the uh it looks like the paid aspect of it, right, that's what you're paying for right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean I get it, you're you know, it's it's there may be something a little bit more like it. They're trying to sell on, like the fact that you can get extra security for different things.
Speaker 2: Like let's see what they're selling here.
Speaker 1: Uh, let's see it says you can get oh hold on, I gotta log in, but yeah, okay, protection for Android iOS Mac and Windows Identity, theft VPN. So if you don't need all of that stuff, I would say, just go ahead and get the built in which is just type in Win Windows Security and make sure that everything's green. So there's a whole bunch of things that says like virus and threat protection, account protection, firewall, all that stuff. Just make sure it's good and then I would tap the virus and threat protection, do a quick scan just to have a baseline, make sure your computer's good once you get rid of the other thing, and then just make sure your security intelligence is up to date.
Speaker 2: So that's what I would do.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, there's this big argument over whether you actually need third party security software, you know for the Windows computers. So there's a ton of it out there. It's a big business. Security is very important. But a couple of things that I think a lot of what we do nowadays is on the web, and a lot of it is through these web services, and a lot of those services scan things before they even let them get to our computer. So unless you're like specifically downloading something peer to peer or you know, doing something like that's very much like a off the typical like just downloading files and things from you know, reputable websites, most of the time they're going to be scanned in some way before Now, I'm not saying that you should be off guard. You always need to be on guard, especially anytime you download something, anytime you install something, anytime you click a link. But right now, you know, the big thing is ransomware. That's number one, and identity theft is number two. So those are the two big things we're up against.
Speaker 2: The viruses.
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, there's always going to be viruses out there, and I think that your computer should be protected against that. But I think it's being aware of the situation that's better. Now, for what it's worth, Rick, if you want free software, free antivirus software above and beyond what Windows gives you, you can definitely check out a website I like called av dash test dot org. So av test dot org. They list they do a whole bunch of tests on these things, and they list the software that they like in the top free software. It's actually a tie. Let's see, it's actually a four way tie right now. So a vast is number one, AVG number two, of youa number three, and Bitdefender number four. So those are the those are the products that they rank as kind of the highest and depends.
Speaker 2: A vast is the.
Speaker 1: Free one, so you know, the other ones may not be completely free, but a vast you can get for free. And of course all of these have a paid version that offers you more. But yeah, good question, Rick, Thanks for the call.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Google assistant is going away. It's becoming Gemini. We all knew this was going to happen, right. AI is everything. Everyone's replacing their standard stuff with AI stuff. So Google put out a blog post saying over the next couple months, mobile users will be upgraded to Gemini. And before you get all scared and like, oh my gosh, I don't want this to happen, I think it's probably a good thing because your phone is going to understand you a lot more so. Classic Google assistants going away later this year. It's going to be no longer accessible and most devices are even available for new downloads. And this is going to expand beyond just phones. It's gonna be a tablets, cars, headphones, watches, smart home devices, all this stuff is going to get Gemini.
Speaker 2: Why because it's smarter.
Speaker 1: You can have a conversation with it in natural language, and so that's why they're doing this, And of course AI is the big thing now. The big problem with replacing Google Assistant with Gemini in the past was that Assistant did basic things like setting timers, playing music, all the lock screen stuff. So they had to you know, Gemini was envisioned as an AI chatbot. Now they've kind of worked in where it can actually perform the functionality it needs to do on your phone. So we saw this first with the Samsung S twenty five this year they had Gemini, a version of Gemini that can also control the phone and also on the pixels.
Speaker 2: It can do a lot of the stuff it needs to do.
Speaker 1: But anyway, now for the other Android phones out there, you're gonna be Gemini. Don't be scared. I think this is a good thing. Assistant, by the way, was launched in twenty sixteen, a couple of years after Siri, which was twenty eleven. Alexo is twenty fourteen, Gemini the AI version twenty twenty three, and we all know Siri has kind of fallen behind, whereas Alexa and Gemini have gotten very very smart in recent years. All Right, coming up, we're gonna talk to Jared Newman of Advisorator about the best ad blockers right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology the website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. We've had a great show today. This has been a lot of fun. It's about to get a lot better too, because Jared Newman is on the line. He writes a couple of great newsletters. One is called Advisorator, the other is called cord Cutter Weekly. And this is the kind of stuff I almost don't want to share because he does a better job than I do, and I'm jealous, specifically the cord Cutter Weekly. I'm telling you he I mean, the stuff he covers and the tips he gives, it's very thorough. So you're gonna want to sign up for his newsletters. Welcome to the show, Jared.
Speaker 8: Thanks Rich always good to be here. And don't sell yourself story. I really enjoy your newsletters.
Speaker 2: Oh well, thank you.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I told I had to tell someone the other day because you know, there's this thing, there's this like fear based, you know, thing in this world where people don't want to share people that they see as a competitor or a threat to them because they're worried that's going to take away from them. And I tell people, I say, look, it was a saying I heard many many years ago. When you light another candle, it does not put yours out. So even though you and I theoretically compete with our newsletters, which we don't, yours is.
Speaker 2: Better anyway, you know, it doesn't.
Speaker 1: I'd love promoting yours because it's more access to the information that you share.
Speaker 2: So I'm very happy to do it anyway.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about this, this whole ad blocker situation. I know that Google Chrome has gotten rid of a popular ad blocker, you block Origin I think it's called And what's the deal with that?
Speaker 2: Why are they doing that?
Speaker 8: Yeah, so you block origin is. I always think of it as just kind of the best ad blocker if you want to use an ad blocker. The main thing is that it's it's it just works really well, and it's very lightweight, and it's free and there's no weird up cells or subscriptions or anything like that, so it just does what it means. There's been some comparisons of different ad blockers and how much system resources they use, and some of them, it's like you're not even better off in terms of like CPU and battery life than just not using anything at all. U block Origin is just top notch as far as all that goes. And what's happening in Chrome specifically is Google is moving beyond the current platform they use for extensions or moving to something that extensibly is supposed to improve security, make extensions more secure. But the short version is that the way you block Origin works, that's gonna make it impossible for it to operate. So what they've started doing is they've started turning off extensions that are affected by this, including you block Origin. You can actually still turn it back on. It's a little murky as to when you'll eventually not be able to use it at all, but eventually the idea is that this will go away and it may end up affecting other browsers that kind of use the same underlying code as Chrome. So kind of just keeping an eye on all that and helping people figure out what to do next.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess before we get into your suggestion for what to do next, I mean, what's the benefit of an ad blocker Obviously it sounds it sounds mean because these companies like they make a business on you know, ads on the website, on the stuff you're reading or looking at. But what is the benefit of an ad blocker, because there are some arguments as to why people like them.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's definitely a bit of a gray area. I think ultimately what it is is like you should be in charge of like what happens on your computer, right And the thing is that some of these ads they can have malware, or they can you know, they can cover up the whole website so you can't actually see anything, or they can put a huge drain on your battery life. You know, like if we were listening to your radio show and it cut to a commercial and you're listening to the car, you'd appreciate that. You'd be fine with that. You want to support your radio show. But what if like it used more gasoline when you were listening to commercials, you might be like, maybe I want to kind of block this, you know, So having that option is something that that you might want to keep in mind.
Speaker 1: Maybe if you have an electric car, that might that might be the case.
Speaker 8: You know, you know, you want to you want to maximize those miles, you know.
Speaker 1: So you're putting up the volume and it's like, you know, the volume is louder on the commercials. Maybe it's using up more juice. So what is the recommendation? What do you switch to if if you block Origin is not working anymore on your browser.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so if it comes to that point, you kind of have to decide if you value you block Origin more or if you value Chrome more. Because there's other browsers that have kind of said that they are going to keep supporting you block Origin in particular, or just kind of be more accommodating these kind of extensions. So you know, Firefox has kind of come out and said, we're going to accommodate this older framework of browser extensions. At least a specific features that you block Origin relies on. Brave and Opera I believe is said they were going to have a little carve out for a handful of ad blockers so that you'll be able to enable them. So you know, there's there's some options like that, And keep in mind a lot of browsers now have built in ad blocking capabilities that you can look to instead. I still kind of feel like you block Origin is the best without pear, but there's other options to kind of look to.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what what if you want to stick with you block Origin? They came out with this light version. Is that just as good?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 8: I mean, look, it is very good. That it's if it comes down to it and you want to just still use something, you don't want to change your habits, you block Origin light is good. It's it's almost as lightweight as you block Origin proper, and you know it doesn't have any its own up sells and subscriptions or anything like that. So a lot of the same benefits, but there's a few trade offs in terms of it may not work as well. I think there's certain things that they're not quite able to block as well as you block Origin does. And then there's sort of some advanced power user features that I kind of like. There's something in you you block Origin where you can look at a web page and say, I don't like this element on the web page. So if you're on Amazon, you don't like how they show you like the videos and the ads for other products, you can be like, zap this out and don't show me this again when I visit the website. In the future. So there's some neat things like that that you can do, but you block Origin Lite is a good fallback if all thus sales.
Speaker 1: Any other recommendations besides that, you.
Speaker 8: Know, I did talk about we can really talk about Safari, which doesn't support you block Origin to begin with, and they have a built in kind of tracking protection that incidentally ends up hiding some ads. I generally found the ad guard is decent. They do have some sort of upselling kind of things you have to be aware of when you use it, and it's a bit more resource intensive, but that's something to consider. Yeah, I mean, Brave and Vivaldi have they're built in a AD blocking that you can kind of look at as well.
Speaker 1: My big thing is I noticed a lot of the websites that you go to if you don't have your ads you know, blocked, they trick you. You know, like let's say you go to a software website to like download a piece of software, Like there will be a prominent ad on that page that somehow looks like what you're trying to download, and like you'll click it and like that's actually advertising and so like in this way, some of these things like actually protect you and you were talking about malvertizing. That's a big thing too, Like all those things that like the takeovers on your computer where it's like your computer is infected, like ninety nine percent of that is like those takeovers are delivered through malvertizing where it may only happen for like a couple of minutes until Google systems figure it out. But it's like that's delivered through an ad a lot of the time. So these things can actually protect you. All right, Let's talk about this sign in with Google pop up, because this happens everywhere I go to red Fan.
Speaker 2: It's like, do you want to sign in with Google?
Speaker 1: You know, typically I recommend that people always use a unique password and an a unique log in, just not to connect everything, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: But how can we get rid of this pop up?
Speaker 8: Yeah? So I just got kind of annoyed by this cause it keeps popping up on different sites that I go do. Even though I'm kind I'm kind of with you. I say, not only like a unique password, but a lot of times I like to use a unique email address, and there's different services that you can use. You've probably talked about this email aliases or some people just like to add a plus sign onto their the end of their Gmail address and another thing, and then that way, you know, like who's sending You know, if I add something to the end, I can see, oh, they send an email to this address, and then you have control over who's emailing you, right, you know, once you're on a company's mailing list, ostensibly you can unsubscribe, but you know, maybe that doesn't work, or maybe you just don't want to deal with it, or they make it too hard.
Speaker 2: Wait, let me tell you.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you real quick, how nerdy I am. So when I used to subscribe to magazines just to see who sold my my like name and address, I would sign up using a slightly different variation of my name so I could tell, like if I did like rich to Miro, I do like our d E m U r O. And then all of a sudden, you start seeing that on your junk mail. You're like, okay, esquire, I see Danie sold my info?
Speaker 2: Anyway, keep going exactly.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So, I mean Google really wants you to sign in with them for various reasons. As a look like you sign in with Google. The way it works is you click that button if you're already signed into Gmail or whatever in your web browser, then it just associates your logging with your Gmail account. You don't have to set a password, so there is kind of a security benefit to not having another password to set up, even if you use a password manager. It's something that can't get lost in a security breach or what have you. But ultimately, you know, I don't want Google to be I don't want Google to be like the centerpiece of my digital life, and I want to be able to have that control. I don't want my Gmail address to go out to whoever I subscribe to. So I was just getting really annoyed by this pop up that is, and to be clear, like this is different from sometimes you go to a website and there's like sign in with Facebook, sign in with X, sign in with Google, those buttons. But this is like if you go to Reddit when you're not signed in, there's like a big pop up in it prevents you from using other logging options, and so I just don't like that, like I want to have that control. It kind of gets back to the same thing with the ad blockers, like I want to be in control of what's happening with my computer and my identity and all of that. So I just went through and I was like, I'd seen something about hiding this pop up.
Speaker 2: And I got less than a minute, so I gotta, oh yeah.
Speaker 8: Sure, so so yeah, so I found this and then it went through for basically every web browser and found ways to disable it.
Speaker 1: And so you've got that linked up on the newsletter Jared Newman dot com Slash Newsletters that'll give you the sign up for both. But basically I know in Chrome at least what it's like a flag you gotta do. It's like a little bit techy, right, you gotta just.
Speaker 8: And there's some more technical things for other browsers like Safari, but I'm nerdy enough that I'm willing to do that because it's too annoying.
Speaker 1: Well, my brother did this too, he texted me. He said, I did this because he was annoyed by it. So it's definitely not just you. It's it's but most people just think you can't change it. And this is why it's great to subscribe to you a newslet or like Jared's, because you realize, yes, you have the control. Jared Newman advisorator Court Cutter Weekly.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: I'll put a link to your newsletters on the website. Rich On Tech dot TV. Thanks for joining me. All right, coming up, we're opening the feedback. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Let's get right to it, because we've got so much to get to. First up, before we get to the feedback. Couple of items of note, digital passport. You can now add your passport to Google Wallet.
Speaker 2: So this is new.
Speaker 1: It's called an ID pass and you can basically use your passport at tsa security checkpoints for domestic travel. It can also act as a real ID, so it does not replace your physical passport for international travel, but it's a good thing to have just a backup. And also if you're traveling within the States. I know, we got to get this real ID soon, so if you're if you're stalling on that like I am for the past you know, three or so years, this is a good thing to have as an alternative because the passport is kind of like universal.
Speaker 2: So if you have a.
Speaker 1: Google wallet, you've got a passport, you can now add it to your Google wallet. Apple does not offer that at this point, but now that Google does, I'm sure Apple won't be far behind Nintendo's opening up a new store in San Francisco. This is their second official US store, opening up on May fifteenth at Union Square. Like a lot of the shopping districts in the US, Union Square has been hit hard by the pandemic and other things going on, So Nintendo store hoping to revive things there. Of course, if you've been to one of these, I've been to the one in New York and Tokyo. It's a fun place, you know, if you like Nintendo, You've got you know, all kinds of merch, all kinds of games, souvenirs, lots of photo ops with characters larger than life. They're doing a deal where you can win a prize to go up there, So if you want to check out that, I'll link that up on my show Notes Rich on tech dot TV. But again May fifteenth, San Francisco, Nintendo opening up a store. All right, let's open up the feedback now, let's see. Dave writes in, Hey Rich, I've been watching you since you started on KTLA and you continue to educate your viewers and listeners on what's great in tech. Your trick to stop scammers is great. I've passed it along to my kids. He's talking about the tip I shared on my Instagram about pressing call record. You can go to my instagram at Ridge on Tech if you want to see it. I also love how you plant little pearls in your posts for those who take the time to read. The pearl in Your last newsletter for me was Rectangle.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I've downloaded it and can already see how it will improve my photography workflow.
Speaker 2: Appreciate all your hard work.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you, Thank you, Dave that I love writing my newsletter because I sit there and I go, oh, if people actually take the time to read this, they're going to get a couple of nuggets out of this that are really good. And I'm glad that that's not lost on everyone. It's lost on a lot of people, but not you, Dave.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Tracy. I'm listening and I just heard the question from the guy who wanted service out to his fence sixty plus yards away in his workshop one hundred and fifty yards away. I've never heard of the two options you gave him. I'm wondering why he didn't mention starlink. Wouldn't that solved his issue without all the extra gadgets you said he needed. Thanks love your show. Great question, Tracy, this was a couple of weeks ago. Yes, Starlink, what the person was asking for was Wi Fi. He already had a Wi Fi connection at his house. Starlink provides a Wi Fi connection in places where there's typically not a connection. So what he just wanted was his WiFi that he already has to reach outside to his yard, his fence, and his workshop. So that's why I recommended the outdoor versions of the I think it was Orb and Eero, So that's it. Nothing against Starlink. I think Starlink's amazing, but you need to have a use case scenario. You don't just buy starlink unless you need it and you're in an area that's underserved or you want mobile coverage everywhere.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Let's see here, what do we have? Ray from Thousand Oaks rights in. It's Saturday morning and at ninety two. I really enjoy your TV show. I'm not super tech savvy, but I try to keep up. Since I got a new iPad last year and also new MEC another new iPad generation, I can't keep up, but I like it. I'm not a fan of flat, slippery keyboard keys, but I've learned to deal with them. Adding a mouse sometimes moves my hands on the keyboard, but I've adjusted roxy. I'm guessing that's his wife is ninety four, enjoys your show too. She's definitely not into tech, but we both learn a lot from you.
Speaker 11: Ray.
Speaker 2: Thank you. This is what I love.
Speaker 1: I love when people say I'm not into technology, but I like your shows, your.
Speaker 2: Segments on TV.
Speaker 1: That's my whole point to bring technology to everyone because we're all forced to use it, and by the way, you should enjoy it if you're using it. Ronald writes in I've heard you mentioned Rosebud for journaling. I use another AI journal called mine Sera. It doesn't have a mobile app, just top, but it's a professional tool with new features added regularly. Just something your listeners might like as a comparison listening on Google Home Kfi.
Speaker 2: There you go. Let's see here.
Speaker 1: Ross from Canada rights in, I was surprised when your guest said it's illegal to in New York City to wear headphones while riding a bicycle. I looked it up and it turns out you are allowed to wear headphones in one ear, which is the same rule for driving a car. The law is there to ensure awareness of your surroundings. Here in Canada, I don't believe we have any such law as people with hearing laws or impairments are still permitted to drive and ride bicycles.
Speaker 2: Good point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, most of the time they don't want both ears taken up by the earbuds, but one ear should be fine. But I don't think anyone enforces if you're riding a bike in New York City with your AirPods in. I'm not sure anyone's ever been arrested for that. I can't imagine a world where that has happened. That's probably one of those things that's not really enforced. All right, let's find one more here before we have to go, Jim says, it's cool. You've read my email about the counting, so you've read some of my emails before. But this time it was extra fun because it turned into a whole thing, even carrying into the next segment. When Adam played the original Joni Mitchell track as a bumper for a couple of minutes, I felt like I was part of the show. I was out on a bike ride in southern California while listening. It was great to hear thank you, Jim. Jim has been writing in a lot. Love Jim's comments, but good to feel part of the show. And Tricia says, I found your show driving home from work one weekend. I've been a faithful listener ever since. Your tips have come in handy for my business and personally. Thank you, Tricia. Next week we're going to talk to the founder of the death clock app. Yeah, it uses AI to predict how long you live. Is it bogus or is it real? He'll explain, I think it's real.
Speaker 2: That's going to do it.
Speaker 1: You can find links to what I mentioned on the website rich on Tech dot tv. I'm on social media at rich on Tech. Thanks so much for listening. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. Kim for appearing this week on the air, Bobo behind the board. I'll talk to you real soon.